Speaker 1: Not pandering Congress people. Real life. It's one more thing, I'm strong Andy, one more thing.
Speaker 2: Before we get out to whatever. Joe's deal is a couple of things. First of all, real life. Well you're gonna put off real life, are you, son? I don't know if I did as long as I could. I don't know if I've heard the term bottle the throttle before. I just came across that with the whole Southwest Airlines and the pilot that got arrested in the cockpit. Had you heard that before, bottle to throttle? Eight hours, bottled the throttle, Like, is that of the rule or is that the guideline? Just advice they give each other.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if i'd come across that before. If you didn't hear that they they arrested a Southwest pilot in the cockpit because they'd smell booze on his breath. I haven't heard yet if they you know, if he actually ended up being drunk or not.
Speaker 1: It mmm, so yeah, I could see that. Look eight hours bottle to throttle, throttle or you're in trouble. It takes eight hours to metabolize all the alcohol or something or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then we also got this thing. I haven't heard this. This is somebody who is using AI apparently in a college class. You've got that done in thirteen minutes, Yes, I did.
Speaker 1: Oh have you read one hundred pages and thirteen minutes? Yeah? No, how did you do that?
Speaker 2: Simmed it? And then I did the assignment.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that's not how we do this. You're supposed to read the hundred pages, but I found better way to do it. Better way to do it.
Speaker 2: Pull up your laptop. No, come on, pull up your laptop.
Speaker 1: I'm getting tired of this.
Speaker 2: I know what this is. You give us one hundred I know what this is already. This is a damn cheating tool. It's not you gave us one hundred pages to read.
Speaker 1: This is only a forty five minute call you. It's the other students using this junk too. Dad.
Speaker 3: This would have taken me three hours to read.
Speaker 1: So all I did was ask this AI tutor. It's called a tutor for a reason.
Speaker 2: It helps me learn. I asked what I needed to know, and I extract all that and then I'm good. Miss Burt's get out that quest. I have all information that sounds real to me, does that sound real to you?
Speaker 1: It does absolutely? Yeh, it looked real.
Speaker 2: Huh. Interesting. So she she's not denying that she did it, she's just trying to make the argument. I use I can't read one hundred pages, or I didn't want to read the hundred pages. This summarizes it for me, and then I'm ready to go, which, hmm, I don't know what I think of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd like to know more about the context of what tools kids are using it in what way, and why he's unhappy about it. Unlike the Internet, I don't feel any need to leap to who's the a hole who's not. But I can see her point.
Speaker 2: Joe and I have said for years, I don't remember what your number is. More fifty page books or more seventy five page books. Because somebody, somebody, somebody will write a great book about a topic we're interested in, but it's a six hundred page book, I'm not going to get around to it. You can only read so many six hundred page books if you got a real wife. But I would love to know eighty pages worth of it. I'd love to. I'd find a way to make that fit. Is I wonder if how good AI is going to be at doing that for us all I want, very very good, I would think, Yeah, I woul think so too. There are a number of the classics of conservative thought or you know, history or perspective, and I'm not going to name them because I'm very fond of the authors. But you read the introduction the first three.
Speaker 1: Chapters, You're good. You're good to go, right, I mean, unless you need them to like drill down to examples of how that would work in five different places. But often you don't.
Speaker 2: That professor seemed to think it was important to read all one hundred pages. I guess, yes, kat oh no, I just watching the video.
Speaker 3: I mean she she it continues on a little bit past that, but she just had a total attitude on her too with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. Interesting she was.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you mentioned this in the notes that she was in her twenties.
Speaker 1: Oh twenties.
Speaker 2: She looks like mid twenties. Oh okay, Yet I meant she only looks mid twenties.
Speaker 1: She's not.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, Yeah, I don't know how old she is, but I it wasn't. I didn't want it to come off like it was a child. You know this is you know, a young adult, gotcha?
Speaker 2: And you know what I had in my head is from when I taught a few college classes, like intro classes in college, when I was in a master's program. Non trads, the non trads are the people that are going to be a pain in the ass. You know why, because they got real lives, They're paying for it with their own money, and they are way more demanding than the college kids are. Just you could say care, they care in other words, yeah, in other words, to the regular kids, you could say, you know what, we're gonna cut it short today and get out of here, and they'd be all like, whoa the non Treadslingho, No, wait a second, I got a sitter. I took an hour of work. We're gonna be here the whole hour, and you're gonna teach me.
Speaker 1: Something, right? Yeah? Yeah, totally gets that.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did too, Yes, Michael, Yes, Michael.
Speaker 4: I have mixed feelings about that clip because some professors I've dealt with, they just though they do not like the idea that things have changed, that the way you learn has changed, and they just they want to be stuck in the library days and they can't accept the fact that it's not like that anymore.
Speaker 2: Certain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's just there are some people who read much more quickly than others, and I always resented it. As a left hander, I wrote more slowly and painstakingly than all the writing's in my classes. And I was in a program where the final exam was here's your question. You got three hours tell me everything you know, and it would just be a frantic ritathon. And man, I was just desperate to be able to type. But you couldn't do that back in the day for no good reason either, for no good reason. Yeah, I can't help, but I was born left handed. There were moments I was thinking, you know, I always thought it was cruel and horrific the parents who forced their kid to learn to write right handed. I kind of wish my parents had Anyway, I got over the trauma and have done all right in life.
Speaker 2: You have a stutter or a blinking on or something. If they'd done that, that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Interest some sort of problem with pooping or who knows, manifest itself in any different ways.
Speaker 3: So, yes, Kitty, I had I have one short thing. I want to take it back to Booze. Really fast. You guys are talking about the drunk pilot throttle. I went to a local watering hole yesterday, awesome, and I had a key Lime Pie shot.
Speaker 2: Do tell members of the staff are still doing shots. That's fantastic, you do, key Lime Pie show a key and I thought of Joe instantly because it was booze and key lime Pie put together, sleeze.
Speaker 1: I tell you what, when I'm on my deathbed, bring me one of those. Did you get it? It was? It was so good.
Speaker 2: Did it taste like key Lime Pie?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, actually like scarily similar?
Speaker 1: And did it make boring people more interesting? Of course it did? It was. I had to mention during the show, the show, I hit the booze last night after two weeks off, just had a little bit of scotch. It was nice. It was fine.
Speaker 2: So it was dry half of January.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you get to make up your own roles?
Speaker 1: Oh? Hell yeah? Do whatever I want. You want to fight me, huh? Sober, but I'm still belligerent.
Speaker 2: Do you have to grow a beard in Provember? No you don't have to.
Speaker 1: No, No, I do what I want. I'm an individual, a bunch of sheep anyway, so first of all, a serious note from a beloved listener, and then some dessert, perhaps a keelm pie shot if you will. That has to do with eroon musk.
Speaker 2: Okay, I brought that up.
Speaker 1: Which we discussed during the One More Thing? Was it yesterday? It doesn't matter. A terrible story an elon musk look alike in Asia, and the joke is because in many Asian languages the L sound doesn't exist, and so Asian struggle to pronounce it correctly and often go with an R instead because it's close eeron musk a reference to that which is historically fascinating.
Speaker 2: Okay, seriously, I believe it.
Speaker 1: But first, this from Momnonymous. I think she sets it up quite beautifully. She says, thank you for all you do to support our troops and those who serve. You're welcome. It is the least we can do. I know I'm a little late to the discussion about Pete Heggss, you're not at all, but life happens. My husband and I have three sons, all of whom are in the army. I could share many stories, but I'll keep this brief. Our oldest is doing well. Our middle son is currently on a training deployment in Europe. The country he and his unit were in, things went well. The country they are now in has been an awful experience. They are on a foreign base and those foreign troops do not want them there. Ooh, that has been made perfectly clear to them. The first three weeks they were there, the barracks were empty, but our troops stayed intense in the freezing rain and fog. Everyone was getting sick because they couldn't keep anything dry. They were moved finally to the barracks and that helped. However, they they are being fed bulk mre type food and child's eye portions. Our son has lost almost twenty pounds in less than two months they've been there.
Speaker 2: No, No, that should not happen. No, no, Now what country is this? And how badly do we need to have our troops there? That's horrible.
Speaker 1: They are supposed to be their training and is a show of force. I think I could guess where they are, but they are in horrible condition, not ready for anything, much less they show a force. Excuse me while I sneeze.
Speaker 2: H oh, bird flow, and where do you think they are? Because she didn't tell you? So that's not going to give anything away.
Speaker 1: No, I don't. She chose not to say, and I will honor that. Let's see. Oh, here's the part that gets back to Pete Hegsath. The leadership our middle and youngest sons have been experiencing in their units has been atrocious. As a woman. I have nothing against women being in charge, but competence matters. At one ceremony we attended some time ago, the brigade commander was a woman. She looked and spoke like a sorority girl. Un said, none of the guys in training nor the drill sergeants had any respect for her. She was a graduate from West Point and may have been very good at her academics, but she had no real experience to help her lead a brigade of infantrymen. One unit we have some knowledge of has several trends. Individuals in leadership positions. These individuals several really, these individuals have been incredibly difficult and hostile to work with and make the issue an issue constantly. Oh shocking. I could go on and on. I guess my point in writing is to say we desperately need change at the top of our military. I know it is a monstrous bureaucracy, and change is so difficult. Difficult, However, I'm looking forward to what can possibly be done to get back to basics and having Pete Hegsweth work to strengthen the lethality and competence of our troops. And then she says some really nice things, including that her fellows like to listen to the show whenever they can. We got them all shirts from your store for Christmas. They love them. Thanks Mom, Anonymous, Thank you to Mononymous as sons. And I wish there was more we could do for you, But I would love to hear more stories from the bottom up about the woke leadership, the sense of the branches of the military being social experiments as opposed to branches of the military or job programs or what have you. I think it's incredibly, incredibly important, not just to those of you serving, but to the strength and endurance of the United States. So yeah, hit us with emails, mail bag at Armstrong and getdy dot com.
Speaker 2: So is this one of those situations where we're putting our troops somewhere where it's not a surprise they don't want us, but it helps the United States? Or is it some country that wants us there.
Speaker 1: Both. There are some governments currently serving in various parts of Europe that are NATO allies and alleged allies, but the current regimes are very chilly to the United States.
Speaker 2: Then you.
Speaker 1: Secretary of State Jack Armstrong there with a strong statement, I hear you. You're gonna treat our guys like that.
Speaker 2: Good luck fighting the Russians.
Speaker 1: Good solid slapping is in order of some sort, whether diplomatic or financial or whatever. All Right, I promised the key lime shot of mirth or or perspective perspective.
Speaker 2: I said, what was last night? A Wednesday? So you're drinking? You're doing shots on a Wednesday night?
Speaker 1: I did a shot. That's a Wednesday night.
Speaker 3: We went to dinner with some friends and stopped in this this it's a bar that used to be a bank back in the nineteen twenty.
Speaker 1: Love those a couple of these days. Yeah, yeah, very cool. Yeah, and a good time was had by all clearly. Oh yeah, it was awesome. That's good. That's super.
Speaker 2: Do a key lime shot or is that not a kind of because not a very I'm not doing key lime shots.
Speaker 3: Probably I believe he did, because the bartender we didn't get you judging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would just I would take off my jacket like a girl and drink whiskey like a man.
Speaker 1: Well, it wasn't an order.
Speaker 3: He the bartender was more of the bartender coming over and go hey, look what I can do, and made us all one of his signature drinks.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, I tell you, you know, what's the best shots I've ever enjoyed in my life. And I'm not a shot guy, because I'm an old man. I like, you know, lovingly sipping a reasonably high dollar scotch. But if you're on the golf course playing on a cold day and somebody buys some you know, like what's the cinnamon whiskey? Fireball? Fireball? Fireball shot at the turn, that's a happy thing. That's not a bad thing at all, depending on the hour of the day. Of course, let's be decent about this and how soon you have to pilot a plane? All right? Exactly? Thank god, I don't alert listener. Diane has sent this along, faithful listener. She signs off, says some very nice things about the show. Thank you very much, Diane. My dad fought in w W two, She writes, he didn't talk much about his experiences. Oh and her headliner title or subject is true story re Iran Musk. He didn't talk much about his experiences, as most survivors of World War Two didn't. But one thing he told me that was for their safety and he served in the Pacific Campaign. Their safe words, their code words, were frequently lucy love because the Japanese, no matter how fluent they were in English, could not pronounce that phrase correctly. If they were called to use the safe words and the response was rusy rove. They were facing Japanese soldiers. It does not sound pc out of context, but they were life savers during the war.
Speaker 2: Right. I don't know what Eroon Musk would think of that now.
Speaker 1: And Katie, I've been fascinated by this since I was a kid, partly as have a student of World War Two and a German student for many many years. I just became fascinated with the Riisenfollen, Third Raich, World War two, the rest of it, and the concept of during these confused battles in the dark in the woods, where one side would advance and then maybe fall back a little bit, but they were in front of where the other guys were and it got really confused where the quote unquote lines were because there were lines, and you had spies and people trained in the other language all over the battlefield. And so it's in the dark in the Battle of the Bulge, You're in the Ardennes forest and you have somebody approaching your line saying don't shoot, don't shoot, speaking perfect English, and the way they had safe words and codewords and would ask questions. You know, how many World series did Babe Ruth win with the Mets. Of course, the Mets didn't exist at that point, but that sort of thing. They would ask questions like that because you could study like everything you thought you needed to know, and everybody freaking knew Babe Ruth had never played with the I'm trying to think what teams existed the Cubs at that time, but they would ask each other questions like that, wow, while holding the guy a gunpoint Yeah, and if the guy said two World series with the Cubs shooting Louie Bluey exact Blue Blue or are you taking prisoner if you could? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Have you guys ever seen this show The Lucy.
Speaker 1: Lucy rub the show The Man in the High Castle. I did. I watched the first, like two seasons.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was such a great show.
Speaker 3: When you talk about World War Two, I just I remember watching that and how vastly different the world.
Speaker 1: Could have been. And your capsule is the Axis Powers win World War two and have occupied America and split it. The Japanese run the western US, the Nazis run the Eastern US roughly, and their conflicts between them too. You know what, Katie, I stopped watching it because it was so relentlessly gut wrenchingly, grindingly suspenseful and.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow, it sounds like something I would like. I love that sort of thing. I want to turn off a show and think that was I'm miserable, now that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would be. Yeah, it was just it was so suspenseful and just and miserable because the country had been taken over and these people were trying to survive and fight back. They're part of the resistance or whatever, and we're getting betrayed or they didn't know who to trust. And again it was beautifully done. But you know, I find life a bit stressful and frightening. I prefer lighter, fair in the evening and then a nice lumpie shot. So good just it just is you fall asleep.
Speaker 4: I only watch sitcoms with a laugh track, so I know when to laugh. Well, I guess that's it.