Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Katty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jettaty and know He Armstrong and Yetty.
Speaker 3: What is the situation with the water obviously in the palisage that ran out last night in the hydrants.
Speaker 2: The local folks are trying to figure that out.
Speaker 4: I mean, just when you have a system that it's not dissimilar to what we've seen in other extraordinarily large scale fires, whether it be pipe electricity or whether it just be the complete overwhelm of the system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got to believe Gavin Newsom getting on the phone with some people why the hydrants were an out of water. I need an answer because that's a bad story. The hydrants run similar to other situations. He's a pot So I'll tell you. If there's one place I could be right now anywhere in the world, it'd be close enough to Barack Obama and Donald Trump, who were sitting in the second row at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC waiting for the Jimmy Carter funeral to start. It's the role of the ex president's man. The most exclusive club in the world and people with a better view of the way things really work than anybody who lives. But Barack Obama's now bending Trump's here. They are in a NonStop conversation and both of them laughing now and then, and Barack Obama's just shaking his head like rolled his eyes and laughed, and they're talking about I would freaking love to know what they're talking about. Do you think if it's anything of consequence or is it like really minor stuff just to make small talk.
Speaker 3: I think it is a presidential small talk, That's what I'm he knowing. I mean, yeah, yeah, yeh, DC and the White House and the inauguration and the press and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: I suspect.
Speaker 1: And famously, if you're into this sort of stuff, former presidents often have way more respect for each other then you might guess based on the way things were when they were all fighting each other. And I wonder if Barack and Trump are in that category. Oh it's guaranteed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, They've both done a job that is impossible and ages you like a dog, and so there is a bond even if you disagree fairly vehemently. I want to say one thing and make it clear because we have, you know, made various comments, whether lighthearted, about some of the things happening at the funeral or Carter's presidency and that sort of thing. I believe Jimmy Carter was a good man who lived a good life. I think he was ill suited to the job for which he is being remembered. He was not a good president, and I think respect to him and his family and those who loved him upon his passing is absolutely appropriate. I think worshipfulness is weird and off putting. You know, we can certainly give criticism of his administration arrest during the funeral, that's fine, but there is a difference between having respect for a human being and suspending your not only you're right, but your duty as an American to understand where his presidency went terribly wrong. But again, we could give it a rest for a minute.
Speaker 1: In terms of the presidents that are still alive, they're all sitting there and I'm watching on TV. Joe Biden looks one hundred and twenty years old. He walked in and sat down with his mouth hanging open, and that blank stare that he has. He's the current president with all those former presidents, and he's the oldest guy in those first two pews and looks by far the oldest, and looks the oldest and acts the oldest. Yes, why did we Why are you going back clear to Bush won all those people? Well, I mean you're going way back. Oh, Bill Clinton's there, that's ninety two. The guy that one is not with us, but I mean Bush too. Yeah, the oldest guy there is Joe Biden, the current president.
Speaker 2: That's an odd thing for America to decide.
Speaker 3: And you know, if we need this, and we probably don't, but it's worth contemplating for another ten seconds. The fact that the Democratic Party, the Biden administration, and the media we're all telling us is recently is you know, the early part of last year, the middle part of last year, that he was good to go for another four years. Nothing could be more dishonest or ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, last hour, we played the clip Joe Biden did an interview with USA Today and said he thinks he would have won, which is, well, here's David Atzorrod, who ran Obama's campaign.
Speaker 5: Here's what he has to say about that. Joe Biden had a forty approval rating. I don't think there's a president who's won reelection with an approval rating that low. So you look, you know, one has to comfort oneself in these moments, and you know that's probably what he's doing. But I think it's nuts to think that he would have won that election.
Speaker 1: It's nuts to think won He went from painstaking, painstakingly diplomatic.
Speaker 2: To he's a nut. It's not pretty quickly he would have won. Yeah, damn it.
Speaker 1: What is Trump saying to Barack Obama that's making Barack Obama throw back his head and laughter. I would love to know what he'll never know. No, I won't, you will never know. Uh Dovetailing from our conversational last year, I appreciate Mike the lawyer in Chicago recognizing the Joe Getty unified theory of civilizations. Talking about Carter's administration, he said, Carter's policies are a great example of what you talk about with the guardrails, Vietnam and Watergate made it easy to adopt passivity and imagineering. When Carter came in, we overcorrected and flipped the car in the ditch. That's a that's a that's a really good analysis right there.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So coming up an extended discussion of DOGE and what exactly it might be able to accomplish and what the roadblocks will be. To paraphrase, I think it was a lick. Oh you all live in who is an absolutely brilliant writer and thinker, Jack, I know you, you're familiar with this stuff. He says, it could be a complete waste of everyone's time. That's usually how reform commissions go. But Musk is no slouch, and the idea has drawn the cooperation of an array of tech sector and entrepreneurial talent, including favek Ramaswami, and needs to be taken seriously.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think the biggest thing that's going for Musk versus you know, two senators that ninety percent of people don't know. Everybody knows who Elon Musk is. He can say something and everybody hears it, and if he when he runs into these roadblocks, at least he can say it out loud and say, hey, look, we got a government where you can't fire anybody.
Speaker 2: Did everybody know that?
Speaker 1: Because a couple of senators doing this in a hearing a year from now and explaining the difficulties, nobody ever hears that stuff right now, whether they are like surpassingly successful and they just did the Doge thing just totally turns the country around. I don't think that's going to happen, But I feel like this spouse who's been begging his or her spouse to go to the doctor, and this is at least a trip to the doctor where a diagnosis will be given, where somebody who will not be ignored will say a great example. Do you know we've got millions of people who don't get fired no matter how bad a job they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everybody should know that.
Speaker 1: So I think it's even if it is just a minimal success, we'll keep our It'll be great. We'll keep our in the funeral and try to read lips. We'll have that story and a whole bunch of other stuff on the way.
Speaker 2: Stay here.
Speaker 1: All five living former presidents gathered for the Jimmy Carter funeral. More on that if anything happens. I do have some more comments to make. Their procession is going on.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we will bring that to you if it develops.
Speaker 3: Joe Biden recently with his eyes closed for a prolonged period of time.
Speaker 1: He's a spiritual man. He's also one hundred years old. I think there's a decent chance he falls asleep and tumbles into the aisle.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, boy, that would make the headlines. Anyway, stay with us, you've all Livin, who's a brilliant guy. One of a couple of people I want to quote talking about the Doge project is this Elon Musk and Vivek Kramaswami in company's effort to reign in the federal government. And it's spending And we'll get more into specifics in a second, but I just saw the headline. For what it's worth, Elon Musk has ascended to like the top five or something like that in world.
Speaker 1: Rankings in some sort of video game. Oh yeah, yeah, he How does he have time? He says he's the best video game player in the world. When he was younger, he was he was the world champion, and he doesn't have as much time to do it now, but he is. He says he's the best in the world at most of those games.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Even if we were to extract his brain from a skull and you know, learn everything we could, science isn't at a point where we would learn much. But his brain does not work the way the rest of us are. The rest of them are definitely definitely not no.
Speaker 2: Indeed, so you've all.
Speaker 3: Levin writes that surely there is a need for some creative thinking about combating efficiency in government. Everybody knows that maybe DOGE could have some potential, but to generate more than memes and slogans, it needs to quickly nail down several key particulars about its goals, its structures.
Speaker 2: It's approached because they're kind of.
Speaker 1: Vague for all to talk about doge It's basic ambition.
Speaker 2: It's still pretty murky. As he points out.
Speaker 3: Quite correctly, I think it's champions seem to have in mind dramatically reducing federal spending, sharply curtailing the federal workforce, and fundamentally reforming federal regulatory policy. And he points out, and I agree completely, only the last of these is really worth Doge's time and attention. It pains me to skip over the sharply curtailing the federal workforce thing, and we can get to I that's hard. But you've all points out the notion that a committed billionaire tech executive with no political experience is going to massively reduce federal spending by focusing on waste is just the kind of bain banal delusion that causes Washingtonians to roll their eyes at the whole idea of Doge because.
Speaker 1: I saw Nashville have you writing about how Elon a super smart guy. Nobody's doubting that. But he was not into politics his whole life. He's just like started paying attention to this recently. So he's having, like in his head and with other people, a lot of the arguments that people who are into politics, you know, have when they're much much younger and realize, okay, these are the points that everybody makes. Because he's having some of the same tired arguments on his Twitter feed that yeah, we know that part like those of us who pay attention to this, you're new to this.
Speaker 3: And in the same way I often say, evidence does not necessarily equal proof. Good things do not necessarily equal a solution. For instance, if they were to get rid of all of the waste and fraud and abuse in discretionary spending, that would be a great thing. It's not going to come near solving our budgetary problems.
Speaker 2: Doesn't that matter a lot? Morally though, or just morally etally directionally.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just pains me so much that we have so many agencies employees that aren't needed, all right, And that's what I'm trying to make clear. Do it as fast and as viciously as you can, bloody some noses. Do everything you can to get rid of that stuff I was talking about, and to make it more efficient. I'm just saying, remember that discretionary spending is absolutely dwarfed by our entitlement programs and will and uh, and the one is on the wane as a shriff GDP, the other one's on the rise. So the relationship is getting even more skewed. And Trump said entitlement reform is not on his agenda. I had one of the most depressing but enlightening thoughts I've ever had. And again political hacks would laugh at me for this, just really having it come into my head perfectly clearly. If I'm a Republican, you know, a consultant, like really really in the know with my pulse on the voters and all, I would tell my candidate, dude, you're railing against or or perhaps ma'am because women can hold office now these days. To Jack, I would say, my friend you're one hundred percent right about how we need entitlement reform, about how we're spending our children's and grandchildren's money, how it's the greatest deft in the history of mankind, from one generation stealing from another.
Speaker 3: All of this is true, and it is repugnant. I hate it to my soul. But if you hang your hat on that, you will lose and you will accomplish nothing. If you shut up about that, we can roll back the perversion of our kids in the woke schools. We can cut the federal workforce and make it more efficient. We can form great trade relationships. We can punch China in the nose and make sure they don't take over the globe. We can accomplish all sorts of stuff. But if you keep talking about entitlements, you're not.
Speaker 2: Gonna do any of it.
Speaker 1: I would love it if we could get all those former presidents sitting in the first two pews there in a national cathedral. I would love to have this conversation with them. Honestly, wouldn't it be awesome to have them in a room. I would ask them the question, how do you see this playing out? You all know the structural problems we have and where we're headed. How do you see this playing out? Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, Barack Obama? What do you think is going to happen? I mean they have to have an answer in their head. Oh I think they do. Yeah, getting back to my screen, what do you think most of them would say?
Speaker 3: There is no way to pass any meaningful reform until it is an emergency. We've tried and there is no taste for it among the voters. It's way too easy to scare them off. So we just have to wait to leave them here.
Speaker 2: Yes see.
Speaker 1: And I know I've said this before, but my concern is, and I got this from you, all ofvin who you're reading from, and this was the scariest thing I've ever heard about this stuff. It's not going to be an emergency. I've always pictured it being some sort of cataclysmic Oh my god, the alarms are going off. We have to do something. Everybody understands it. We cut this, we raise taxes, we fix it.
Speaker 2: He says. That's not the way it's going to play out.
Speaker 1: We're just going to become a less dynamic, slower moving, bogged down, less fans, less powerful, high tax harder to get a business started country and yeah we'll be France. Yeah we'll just be France. And it will happen kind of gradually, and older people who remember what it used to be like will die, and everybody will just think this is what life is like. That to me is the scariest outcome of all. One, I think it's probably the way it will happen. And two I don't know how you ever turn that around.
Speaker 3: Right right again, my foe Republican consultant's screen. I want you to understand. I loathe that, I despise it. But if there's one thing that being a conservative is, it's being a realist. And I've got to I just got to come to terms with that.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Levin points out that the federal government actually has about as many employees as it did a half century ago. It's the government's reach and scope and an enormous amount of contractors that have grown, and so the key is not so much the number of the workforce, but the scope of what the government does and how it does it through regulations and executive branch, contractors and stuff like that, which I think is a good clarification. Can they actually close can they delete a federal agency. There are serious legal hurdles and you would have to have the cooperation of Congress. Can't get in to this in a meaningful way. We're up against a heartbreak. But maybe we can reset that down the road, because I mean, how many of us want the Department of Education gone? A majority of parents to Polder just came out. It's a very small majority.
Speaker 1: Hotel I was in was across the street from the Department of Education in Washington, d C.
Speaker 2: Last week.
Speaker 1: That's an enormous building with a lot of employees. And to think we could do away with that and have more local control and how I have that money stay at home?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think it'll happen.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, and just not have the the woke bureaucrats of d C playing the tune that local schools are supposed to dance to.
Speaker 2: I hate that idea.
Speaker 1: We will check in on the horrifying fires that continue in LA today. Oh my god, big portions of cities that are completely gone.
Speaker 3: Everybody calls everything historic these days. This is an historic catastrophe for Los Angeles in the state of California.
Speaker 1: Biggest fire in LA's hitty already most devastating and climbing up the ranks for the entire state of California.
Speaker 2: I got a lot more on the way. I hope you can stay here, Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 6: We did have a sheriff's deputy drive past us and we got this warning to be careful, and we thought, okay, maybe he's talking about the smoke because the air quality is so poor. That's why we're all wearing respirators and masks. He said, no, be careful because there are looters out here. He said, we've already arrested someone. And I asked, well, how many? And we're and try to get some more information. He says, it couldn't give you that information. But the fact that they this morning have already arrested people, it just goes to show that people are taking advantage of an already devastating situation.
Speaker 1: You know, as a libertarian, I have to be against government vigilante style justice. But if you accidentally hit that guy in the back of the year with a baton, I'm looking the other way. Is there anything worse than a looter? Anything? You are the worst human being on earth. You certainly are in the running. After people have had their homes burnt down lost everything they have, and you go in and try to steal from them, you soob.
Speaker 2: Can we institute something like martial law the very least. You got to make the penalty so high.
Speaker 1: It's just not worth going and digging through somebody's house to try to find a an engagement ring.
Speaker 2: You got my vote. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Some other thing about the fire, and we're keeping our eye on the Jimmy Carter funeral. We got some comments on that coming up in a little bit. It's going on right now. But on the fire, this is getting a fair amount of attention, and there's a lot of already in the midst of the tragedy with neighborhoods burnt completely to the ground. It looks like the moon in some of these places where it used to be multimillion dollar homes or just regular homes. It's not like it's more or less tragic depending on the expenditure of the home. And so Trump is doing a lot of true thing about out fire management by Gavin Newsom, and Gavin Newsom's trying to deflect it into other things in the Mayor.
Speaker 2: Of la and blah blah blah, all that sort of stuff. But this seems to be true.
Speaker 1: When the Forest Service identifies high risk forests needing prescribed burns or any area that you got to deal with. And if you don't travel around LA, there's a lot of trees around LA, especially when you get up to the Pasadena Altadena area. I've hiked up there many times, did nothing but forests behind you. When the Forest Service identifies a high risk forest that needs to burn to be safe, it takes an average of four point seven years to get it through the environmental reviews. If it's a complex situation like their houses close by or infrastructure, it takes about seven years, which, as it points out, is many many fire cycles. I mean going through many fire seasons before you get through the environmental review to make sure the titmouse isn't gonna lose its habitat or something like that before you can do anything about the fire, which point the situation I would guess is very different. Probably it needs to be done even more. But yeah, that's a similar thing happened with And if you don't live in California, you may not have heard the story the historic pier in Santa Cruz that got washed away a couple of weeks ago and I've been out on there many times, very very old. But there were projects planned to shore that thing up, aging wooden structure, but it ran into environmental struggles because of some sort of bird or fish or something, and they just couldn't do it. And and there you go.
Speaker 3: What you have to understand, though, and what people need to understand, both Californians and outside the state, is that the environmental laws.
Speaker 2: And fish, that's the main thing. I hate birds, I hate fish.
Speaker 3: Well, see here's here's where I slap you with the firm hand of reality. It's not about the birds and fish, at least in part like half the reason for these laws is for trial aturnneys to get attorneys to be rich. Unions constantly use these environmental lawsuits to blackmail companies, even the state itself into giving them a better deal. It's a it's a it's it's law fair. That's an excellent pointy.
Speaker 1: What it is how many of the lawyers who make enough of a living to retire on on these various cases have gone for years and years, care about the freaking burger fiction involved, or just love the fact that they get into. They've got a job, they've got a case for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 3: Maybe someday, Jack, you could explain, not today, how California's divorce laws are patterned so that incredibly expensive lawfare can take trial attorneys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the.
Speaker 3: Trial attorneys and the public employee unions are on the state.
Speaker 2: Anyway, enough said.
Speaker 1: Let me turn my gaze briefly back to the funeral that is going on. We have all the TVs on live as the I don't know when you're listening to this, if you're listening to it on the podcast Jimmy Carter Funeral, and all the former president and vice presidents are in the first couple of rows with their wives and husbands. Yeah, Kamala Harris's vice president. She's got a husband. He'll slap you around if you don't listen. But you know, it's just thing and a couple of different things. So that's Amy Carter. Executive producer hands and pointed out, I didn't know who that woman does. I got nothing to say about her. She's at her dad's funeral for crying out loud, right, But she is an old woman now, as we all have aged, I'm much older than I was when I was a child. When she was a child also, but I didn't know who that was. That's Amy Carter. But Barrock and Trump were yucking it up a lot before the funeral started, not like in an inappropriate way. You know, you've been to a funeral and you don't have to be morose the entire time, you know.
Speaker 3: With no in many situations, it's a celebration of life. But I would love to know what Barack and Trump were talking about. I mean, they were really john a lot. I figured it out. It's obvious, boy, is Biden a doe?
Speaker 2: Could be?
Speaker 1: There are comparing notes on that it could be, and Barack's like, you think you know he's a dope. Let me tell you, I got some stories. Well, it wouldn't be impossible. I don't know if they'd if he would say it out loud or not, but if they're you know, you had truth serum or something, and one thing about being a two term president, you don't have to worry about anything anymore. Have you ever seen a worse campaign than what Kamala Harris did. I could see Brox saying, oh my god, she couldn't do one interview. I know, I don't know what they were talking about, but do you remember the backstory on them. The reason Trump was president is because Barack Obama. So Trump was endlessly back when he was just a talk show host that I, for instance, didn't think there was a chance Trump was ever going to be in politics. Would not shut up about Barack Obama being a Muslim from another land in the birth certificate, just endlessly on every show he ever did. He would talk about that at and Barack Obama got so upset about that that when they did the National correspond on its dinner and Trump was in the audience, Barack Obama made like the entire hour monologue making fun of Donald Trump in front of all those people. And Trump sat there stewing and so angry that he was being mocked by Barack Obama. That is, and this is, according to everyone, what drove him to run for president. And in a time honored fashion among human beings, millions and millions of Americans said, oh, is that the enemy of Barack Obama and everything he's trying to do the country.
Speaker 2: Let's let's hear more about this guy.
Speaker 1: One of Bob Woodward's books, and I don't remember which one, but As a Long Time Ago, opens with Barack Obama running down the stairs to tell Michelle, I found it. I found it because he found his birth certificate up in the attic. He'd been digging through the boxes long just to try to shut up Trump because it was so annoying. He would just dig the President of the United States, digging through boxes to try to find his original birth certificate because Trump wouldn't shut up about which is hilarious. But anyway, now here they are sitting on the pew yucking it up together, both of them, with their their lives intertwined and intercrossed in ways that you know nobody would have predicted.
Speaker 3: They're trying to other him jacket's racism, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Well we now know, I mean at the time, but we now know. Trump just does whatever to get under people's kin. He calls you by the wrong name or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just trolls.
Speaker 1: He just trolls people. Who was the candidate. You know this, Michael, you were into this sea. He was just called by the wrong name all the time. One of the guys that was running, oh Asa Hutchinson, he called for no good reason, just I.
Speaker 3: Mean, third grade schoolyard taunts, just like ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I don't even care enough to know what your name is. Is all that is.
Speaker 3: So. Gerald Ford, who Carter defeated, and Carter were very close friends the rest of their lives until Ford passed away a number of years ago. And Ford's son is delivering the eulogy, which is really a beautiful thing. And he has pointed out during the service Carter's absolutely triumphant bringing together of monocha Bagan of Israel and Anwar Sadat of Egypt in what was the opening step of a process that's gone right through the Abraham Accords and is surely going to continue in Trump's term this time around. And that is the the calming of the sane regimes of the Middle East and working together to root out the scumbags and lunatics. H and and for that Carter should be remembered. That was some really really good diplomacy. He also engaged in some really really bad diplomacy. But you know, what are you gonna do the one of the several opportunities that the Palestinian leadership had for a fabulous deal, a great deal that you know.
Speaker 2: Not on our sadate.
Speaker 1: What's his face with the Kafia? The terrorist Help me got the Nobel Peace Prize. At one point, I can't think of his what does it come on? This is embarrassing fat, Yeah, that's embarrassing to not know his name. I talked about this not long acause, remember I got I know a lot of names. You wanted some other names, Lord Filmour, there's one Marie Calhoun.
Speaker 2: So I got on this.
Speaker 1: Monocca began kick you remember last year, and I read his book and it explained how Yasser Airfat walk walked away from that at the very end, I mean, like hours before it was going to be accomplished, and Jimmy Carter was furious and realized at that point that he was dealing with a nut job that who had no interest in actually having peace or actually having a state.
Speaker 2: So well exactly, Yeah, then they did it again under Clinton.
Speaker 1: That should be it'd be nice if Jimmy Carter could leap up out of that casket and explain that to the college students in Colombia and UCLA and everywhere else. Hey, they don't want a two state solution, at least the leadership that they voted for over the years, right exactly while those college morons were demonstrating in favor of terrorists while the bloods still ran in the streets of New Orleans thanks to an isic converted lunatic. I suppose if Jimmy Carter leaped up out of the caskets, that sub headline would be his new peace plan.
Speaker 2: It would be.
Speaker 1: Probably you know, yeah, that would that might not even get noticed. The lead might be government attempts to bury live former president or something like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I see your points. We've got more stay with us.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've been in this same chair and I was arguing about a year ago, saying that you know, you can be pro immigration, but we need a secure border, and we have a serious issue here on the board and we have to address that. And here we have now we can be pro immigration, and I really believe we should protect the dreamers. But I don't know why it's controversial that we need to deport any migrants here illegal that are engaging in kinds of criminal activity. I don't know why that's controversial to anybody.
Speaker 1: Oh right, It's interesting that he gets credit for like bravery or it's political courage or whatever, for saying something that ninety percent of a people agree with.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, the next step in that discussion is how perverse and out of step is the Democratic Party or the branch of the Democratic Party that believes that is controversial? Not I mean because you're right, Well, you asked a question that sounds rhetorical, but it's not. How is that brave for a Democratic senator to say?
Speaker 2: I think the answer is you know what I said more or less, so.
Speaker 3: A handful of story's worth, at least touching on I don't know if you're following what's going on in South Korea with their president, it is crazy. I mean, they have a serious constitutional crisis going on.
Speaker 1: We cover the coup live a couple of weeks ago when he declared martial law and to try to keep the government from maybe able to go in and vote, and they said, nah, we're going to go and vote anyway, and then handed me.
Speaker 3: Right in the legislature, including his own party, gave him a wait what, No, you're not and they overturned it absolutely instantly and according to their constitution. But now it's believed by some in South Korean trust me, I'm not an expert on this, that he actually broke laws and so they're trying to arrest him.
Speaker 1: Now trying to put cuffs on him and arrest him. Well, this guy yun suck yol is saying eh, and his personal security detail, which he has recently beefed up, is now surrounded his presidential residential compound. And when they went to try to arrest him, I think was last week, scuffles broke out and the security people let the cops and whatever, you know, federal law enforcement was there to arrest the guy. Tell him no, you're not getting them without a fight, and we mean a fight, chick chick, you know, you know, cocking their weapons and and so after a prolonged multi hour negotiation, the people who are there to arrest him withdrew. Well they're going back now. But said former Marcia law van jun suk Yol, he's beefed up his security.
Speaker 2: He surrounded his.
Speaker 1: Compound with buses and even more armed guys to hold off the quote unquote authorities. So this is classic game of throne stuff as old as time.
Speaker 3: J'n a barbed wire too, just to help solidify the picture for you.
Speaker 1: I'm just surprised that he has loyalists who are willing to lay down their lives for him. Is he just flat out paying him or do they believe in him that much?
Speaker 2: That's an interesting question.
Speaker 3: You know. I'm thinking back to the early days of our republic, including during the Articles of Confederation, when we were a pretty new democracy, and we're the oldest democracy on earth, and so we're reasonably good at it. I know what you're thinking right now. This is good at it. Yeah, I believe it or not. South Korea has just been on democracy since the.
Speaker 2: Eighties, is it. Yeah, it's within our lifetimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, But I mean this has happened throughout I'd reading the other day about Napoleon the Third in France in eighteen seventy one.
Speaker 2: But anyway, he wanted his guys to fire on.
Speaker 1: The revolutionaries in the street, and they said, nah, we're not going to and he realized, Okay, I guess the jig is up, and he had to high tail it to Great Britain. I mean, because sometimes your guys support you and sometimes they don't. But in this case, the South Korean president his people loyal to him.
Speaker 2: What or why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, certainly enough to hold off the arrest tours. One of Ewan's lawyers said the president could not accept the execution of the arrest warrant because it was issued by a court in the wrong jurisdiction, and the team of investigators formed to probe the incumbent leader had no mandate to do so.
Speaker 1: But did they think the people that are willing to be shot to protect this guy, do they think he's going to end up back in power?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's a great quest, and I suspect so, I would guess it is. It is a and you know, I tend to side with the other side because this guy seems to be a nut job, but I'm far from an expert in it. It is both a personal test of wills and there are serious arguments about who did what and whether it's constitutional. So anyway, what's going to happen next is crazy. But in a settled, westernized Eastern democracy, to have this happen, it's just it's it's terrible.
Speaker 2: It's cataclasm. Oh, that's right, that's al Gore's nude Tipper.
Speaker 1: He and Tipper got divorced years ago, all years ago.
Speaker 2: Is that just a girlfriend then?
Speaker 1: Or is he married? Anyway, we'll get back to the funeral later. Asking me about al gorese love life. I don't know remember when he used to go get the massages and that was a big story.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: So CNN, which is where we happen to be watching at least one of our screens, the Jimmy Carter funeral. They are about to be the defendant in a high profile defation trial, and the jurors have indicated that they are open to a ten figure payout. That's a billion dollars with a B for what it's worth ten figures, okay, And this is and there's some funny aspects of this case. Plaintiff Zachary Young is a I think he's a Navy veteran. He was working like crazy to get people out of Afghanistan, and CNN, for some reason took a disliking to the guy and assassinated his character and called them all sorts of things, like a black market, violator of laws and all sorts of and they had no solid evidence to do so. And the judge has let the trial go forward. Their injury selection and as it turns out, only one potential juror admitted to regularly watching CNN out of forty potential jurors. Oof, that's blow number one and only two out of forty, or roughly five percent, had any idea who Jake Tapper is.
Speaker 2: Well, that's funny.
Speaker 1: It's it's going to be hard to find a fair jur or with the popularity. Oh, nobody's ever heard of us. It'll be easy to find a fair jur Oh.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jack triple as many as recognized Jake Tapper said, yes, I believe CNN creates fake news.
Speaker 2: Wow again, Armstrong and Getty