Speaker 1: Navy Federal has a mission to put members first by making their financial goals the priority. Receive a lifetime of membership benefits to help you and your family accomplish your life missions like a full suite of financial products designed to fit your needs. Twenty four to seven, live support and access to over three hundred branches on or near military bases. Visit Navyfederal dot org for more information, or call one eight eight eight eight four to two six three two eight, or download the Navy Federal Credit Union app. Message and data rates may apply. Navy Federal is federally insured by NCUA. Welcome to the Solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Come that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 2: You want to be happy? For day at the State?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 3: Whoo whoom?
Speaker 1: And now down and tie. Welcome back to the solid Burbo boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand, joining me as always back over there in New York City, the NYC. We are back. His name is Dan Rubinstein, Sir, sir, how are you? Is it just me tie?
Speaker 2: Or is Fargo calling us back?
Speaker 1: It kind of feels like a siren call, haunting us at night to come back to the Upper Plains to watch North Dakota State place South Dakota State. I believe this week.
Speaker 2: You know the people that sort of go door to door asking I'm not even speaking about one particular religion. There's lots of all, you know, people who are trying to sell a religion, and they always go with like, do you feel like something's missing from your life? Right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Are you looking to fill the emptiness that you feel? The void?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I since I've been back in New York, I'm feeling that Fargo siren call.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. How many people have you told that you went to Fargo? Just like in your view, A handful in your like immediate circle handful.
Speaker 2: Spoke to Mamma Rubinstein today. She asked how Fargo went. A couple of people saw that, Like we tweeted out the travelog video. Great job in an episode, great thank you. It came out really, really nicely. I was happy with it.
Speaker 1: Let me let me ask you a question. Here's where I'm going with this. How many people responded with why do you go to Fargo?
Speaker 2: Many?
Speaker 1: Yeah, mind's at about eighty five percent.
Speaker 2: I'd say my mom is at the point with me where she said, well, she doesn't try to understand some of the things I do. She's like, okay, yeah, I support it great, and she really didn't push. So I explained it and she was happy to know that footage of me curling made it into the broadcast.
Speaker 1: This is true, This is true.
Speaker 2: Well, that was everything that mattered.
Speaker 1: Look, we are back. We hope that you've had a chance to view the Travelog video and listen to the Travelog audio that we posted. The podcast is out there as of Sunday evening. The video is out there not only on our Twitter account but also on the Sports Illustrated Twitter accounts. You can go out there and see like a two minute condensed video version of what we experienced out there in Fargo, North Dakota a lot warmer here on the East Coast, but certainly a great experience to be out there at North Dakota State. We wish that it wasn't against Colgate, which is the only bittersweet part of this, but nonetheless a really cool experience to witness what goes on at North Dakota State, see the dynasty that has been built, and see the fan support that was all really exciting, really cool, and we hope that you can relive the experience with us by listening and watching along. And to those who have asked, we enjoyed our burgers from Pounds, Yes, and we enjoyed coffee in a pastry from young Blood sort of downtown. That was great before the game. And in Minneapolis we had a great meal at I think it's Grand Catch, Grand Catch, Yes, Grand Catch.
Speaker 2: Then we had a superb meet up with a few dozen for ballers came out last second, which was really cool to see. Met some luminaries. Will ogin In is how it's pronounced, I believe, will ad Minnesota, Yes, and Dan klobashar so among many many new luminaries among the verballerhood. So that was incredibly cool to just have a beer and chat. We promised that whether it's you know, on the West coast, somewhere in Texas and the southeast wherever we jointly go, we will try to do this because it was a damn good time.
Speaker 1: There has been immediate feedback to the video to the audio that you and I should pick one game every year I'm in and maybe do something similar. So we could talk about that. Dan we'll have our people talk to each other too. We can work out.
Speaker 2: We're coming for you Cheney, Washington, Nnesaw, Georgia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, on that note, welcome back to the show. Good to be back in our normal digs here. I'm Tie, He's Dan. Don't forget to hit us up at soliverbal at gmail dot com. Find us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, check out the subreddit Reddit dot com, slash ur slash solid Verbal. We'll be here all off season and certainly with you for the entire duration of bull season, which, by the way, if you haven't gotten in on the Bowl confidence pool, go out to solid verbal dot com slash conpool all one word, not the sequel to con Air, thankfully, that's con Pool as in confidence Pool, which, as some folks also asked us on social media, today, when are you gonna start going through games? Today is your lucky day. Today, Today we're going to actually start going through games. So hold your horses before we get there, though, Dan, we do have some r boo boop? Did you have t boo at coffee? Actually? We oh, it's a dehydrant, mysterious vacation day for the mysterious day job. But right, straight black, milk and shugar. I went and I went straight black today because I was extremely tired. I was texting you. I'm like, I'm twenty minutes out. I'm gonna be able to do normal recording time, but it needed shot of life.
Speaker 2: All right, Let's get into some news because the coaching carousel keeps us spinnin. And maybe we should start here since we opened with Fargo. Yeah, talk Chris Cleman, the North Dakota State coach. We talked about it a little bit while we were in the upper planes. He was rumored to be a candidate for Kansas State and now he is officially replacing Bill Snyder, the long tenured twice tenured Kansas State coach and the little apple in Manhattan, Kansas taking over Kansas State. And it's hard for me to get a full read because the people that are most vocal are not necessarily the capital t capital p the people. And it seems to me like a really good hire, yeah for Kansas State. And I know there was some pushback, some louder pushback from some people online about like what are his recruiting ties to Kansas? Bill Snyder put together pretty bad classes at Kansas State. They don't win at Kansas State with stellar recruiting. That's just if you're looking to win that way, it's never gonna work. He sixty six and seven, sixty six and sixty seven and.
Speaker 1: Six, seven and six. Yeah, and he's going to be the coach this week in the FCS semifinals against South fried State. Yeah, and presumably in Frisco. I'm guessing they'll make it that far, but you never know. SDSU plays them tight. But yeah, I mean, this is a guy who's got a sterling record at North Dakota State. He's clearly built a dynasty there. My question to you is, and I've seen the same stuff like, well what about his recruiting? Guess what you're talking to K State here. No disrespect to case State, but I mean, you can get you can get the singularly the best coach at the FCS level. Does it really matter what his recruiting ties are? Like that to me is a catch if you can haul that guy in. Clearly there was a familiarity there. The ad at k State was the one who promoted Cleman initially when he took over at North Dakota State. He invited him to come to Manhattan, Kansas to be the head football coach. The video of the phone call was actually posted on social media by Case State, which was really cool, and so we wish him well. I think it's a great hire too. Maybe there's something I'm missing because I'm not an expert and I don't know the ins and outs of this, but it seems to me like if you're Case State and you get a guy of this magnitude who has proven that he can build his team up regardless of the level, that's significant.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Jim Trussel similar not identical situation going from Youngstown State to Ohio State. I think the most important thing is going to be culture and infrastructure of a winning program, and Chris Climon brings that. And I am excited to see what Kansas State looks like because once again the recruiting thing, he will hire assistance familiar with Texas and junior colleges in Kansas. I am not at all worried about that. Bill Snyder's last six seven eight classes never finished higher than eighth in the ten team Big Twelve, and the final year in which there were twelve teams in the Big Twelve, Kansas State finished twelve yep. So there you go. That's not going to be the lifeblood of a successful program in the state of Kansas in the way it is elsewhere in the conference.
Speaker 1: The only thing that I'll add here in closing on this, Hire Climban's teams were good on both offense defense. Obviously, they produced high level NFL draft picks in the form of one Carson Wentz, who everybody knows. At this point, they were the number one scoring offense in all of FCS this year, and to go along with that, they had the number three scoring defense. So they were very balanced on both sides of the ball. We saw it up close and personal. They were done. They were dominant against against the best, the so called best defense in FCS. They were totally dominant in all phases of the game. So Chris Climban going to be your new head football coach at k State. The other one here that is reported, I guess at this point, I don't know if it's official, but Manny Diaz.
Speaker 2: The yeah as of today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the former Miami defensive coordinator who's bounced around and has been a mind that many of us have been quite interested in as a defensive savant. If you will he's headed the Temple. It's going to take over for the Owls, the new cradle of coaches. Yeah, that's right of Owls. So you have Al Golden and Steve Adazio and now Jeff Collins making his way to Atlanta and Georgia Tech. That's official. And so now Many Diez, who has been at major programs Texas, Mississippi State, NC State, and most recently Miami, makes the move up. I called it the reverse Golden because that's what it is, the reverse Al Golden going from Miami to Temple. And I also saw Don Brown, the Michigan defensive coordinator, was a name that was there was a lot of interest in him. I guess he interviewed for the job with the Owls. But Many Diaz, a younger coach with I think a lot of people thinking that he can do some pretty big things. He's pretty well regarded. So I like the hire for Temple. It's an ideal place secretly to.
Speaker 2: Be a I guess group of five program, playing in a big group of five conference and having that sort of proximity to the sort of in between the teetering talent between group of five and power five with a lot of talent in the New Jersey area, so very cool to see Diaz taking over.
Speaker 1: Like you said, young guy only forty four's bounced around, had some good experience with major college programs, has not been a head coach yet, so we'll see what he can do. Only a prominent defensive coordinator until now, many Diaz official to Temple elsewhere in the coaching realm, at least among some other head coaching positions. I don't know if we talked about Hugh Freeze to Liberty, which is a little weird.
Speaker 2: Only Jesus can handle is junk. That's a quote.
Speaker 1: So we've also got app State, which is in the market for a new coach after Scott Saderfield left to go to Louisville, reportedly considering both Ruff and McNeil and Josh Gaddis.
Speaker 2: I saw Nate Woodie his name May Woody Well, who was the old app State defensive coordinator and hired by Georgia Tech, who we presume is now on the open market with Paul Johnson retiring.
Speaker 1: And in the way of positional coaches, we have Dan enos the quarterback coach, the assistant head coach at Alabama. He was promoted to the new offensive coordinator spot because Mike Loxi left to take the Maryland job. You might remember that Dan Enos name. He did coach Central Michigan for five years after a rocky start, ended up being about a five hundred coach between twenty twelve and twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: You will now bout out Daniel Fever.
Speaker 1: Daniel Fever, it'll now be his show down there with TUA and all of the offensive weaponry that Nick Saban returns in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: And he's bringing along nobody. No. I was going to say, because we mentioned Mike Loxley leaving Alabama, he is bringing along Butch Jones to Maryland. Butch Jones was an analyst for Alabama this year on offense, and we'll be taking over tight ends and I believe we'll be an associate head coach for the Terps. And that's in terms of big deal stuff. Josh Gattis is actually an interesting name. You mentioned that with app State. Certainly the Penn State receivers took a step back this year without him in State College. That I think a really good job for Alabama as the COOC this year. We'll see what happens with his position moving forward?
Speaker 1: All right? And then the only other thing that I wanted to bring up here, I'm looking at an article from a dear friend, Nicole auerback Yes, headlined with quote, we don't need to wait another six years colon college football leaders ready to discuss eight team playoff, dan Oh, I saw that you tweeted this out while I was away. As you might imagine, it conjured up a lot of emotion in the Twitter sphere, I'm sure all around college football. Can you give us the gist of this article?
Speaker 2: The gist is that some people who had previously been associated with the playoff committee, like Barry Alvarez, for instance, have spoken to each other at length about the possibility of an eighteen playoff. This is nothing that is at least publicly on the table with current committee members. But there are some former people on this committee that have come around as soon as it doesn't matter what they think, right right, They've come.
Speaker 1: Around the way it works, right right.
Speaker 2: It's you know, it's that congressman who is you know, super against pot then gets out of the business. This is John Bayner. Is they actually be a real congressman? Yes, that is correct. I think it was John Bayner, who like against Pott and then all of a sudden is like, oh, I run a pot farm.
Speaker 1: Now I'm buying stock. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, this is getting a little bit far afield. This is all to say, it would have been cool to have this discussion happened while you were in power. This is them surmising that they shouldn't have to wait another six years for the contract to be up to renegotiate how many teams and redo to the competitive nature of the playoff going from four to eight or four to six eight whatever, and UCF and how they were treated in the way that they believe the SEC. This is them saying it not tire myself that the SEC has given preferential treatment and given the benefit of the doubt a little bit too often, with how LSU didn't move down at all, and how Washington State and you know, Penn State and all these teams really didn't have the ability to move up, and that perhaps the SEC has too strong a stranglehold because of what they perceive to be an inflated reputation. Okay, now, Georgia being in the consideration at number five ahead of Ohio State who won with only one loss, their conference and last year with two SEC teams getting in. And I can understand the frustration from people affiliated with conferences that haven't made it in. I do, and it's it's to me the eternal question of is this a TV show? Is this trying to be an actual competitive thing? Are we trying to get all the conferences represented because they all in some form pay into this system? What? What are we? What are we trying to do? Here? The Taylor twelve.
Speaker 1: I need to play this again.
Speaker 2: We haven't got Oh my god, sorry.
Speaker 1: This was inevitable, This this conversation. Maybe oh yeah, maybe it's that breaking news, but it's right here in the art goal. The quote from Barry Alvarez, who was on the College Football Playoffs selection committee for three seasons, I guess quote.
Speaker 2: To be your interim coach at any time he's able.
Speaker 1: Barry Helperez is on the table. Quote. Everyone has the same feeling. Expansion is inevitable, no matter how many times we have this conversation.
Speaker 3: About should it be six or should it before? Should it be eight, should it be thirty two? No matter how many times we have this discussion. Here here is the cruel reality we have for now. If you double it. There is more money to be made. There's more money to be made. The contracts, the TV contracts will grow. Interest in the playoff system will grow because more teams will be included. For sure, there might be a bit of sacrificing the sanctity, if you.
Speaker 1: Will, of the regular season. But the truth of the matter is they're leaving money on the table and this is inevitable. It's inevitable it's going to happen. Not a question of if, merely a question of when for my money, yeah, and how agreed for my money. It's all about let's just get this thing done. What is inevitable should just be implemented. Now. They implemented this playoff in a matter of weeks, it felt when they finally decided to move to it. Let's just rip off the band aid, get this thing planned out, put the wheels in motion here and start it up like after next season. Why the hell not?
Speaker 2: So you're you're approaching it in a very third party ish kind of way, just saying I think it will happen. It makes sense. This is a sport that is constantly, like the universe, in perpetual expansion.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm a realist when it comes to this topic, it is going to happen. Whether you like it, whether I like it, whether we hate it, it is going to happen. So the sooner it happens, the sooner we can start working out the kinks.
Speaker 2: My question isn't will it. My question is what do you want?
Speaker 1: Ty?
Speaker 2: I know it doesn't matter or what you want, but what is your ideal you have? I mean, you're a prominent voice in the digital college universe.
Speaker 1: When you put it like that.
Speaker 2: What do you want? I what do you is? For competitive reasons, for entertainment reasons, and wherever that blends together. What do you want?
Speaker 1: I've always been a proponent of the Dan Wetzel plan, which is Game sixteen, some automatic bids in there, some games that are played at home fields of teams that qualify. I'm missing the details. I apologize to Dan, who's been on this program a bunch of times. Yeah, but I've always his plan to me, always felt like among all the other plans that were floated out there, at least his was the most well thought out, and it seemed to be the most inclusive to capture not only wild card teams but also conference champions and some of some of the group of five schools that have frankly been left out of the current model. That to me feels like the best thought out plan available, and I've always been a proponent of that. That being said, I think four has worked out pretty well so far, especially you're like this, it's worked out quite well. I think eight is the next logical jump. We might not be ready for sixteen at this point. It might require too much, too much of a logistical shift from where we're at to get there. I think eventually we will get there, But for now, the move to eight, I'm totally on board with it. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I think the question that's not being asked enough is do we want the playoff to be a playoff or do we want it to be solely an invitational to find a national champion? And that might sound like those are very similar ideas, But is it a matter of do we want this to become a month long thing, a three week long thing, a two week long thing, or do we want it to be just an extended national championship just that like final four situation. You know, the NCAA tournament is a thing. The final four in the national championship game is a different thing. It's you know, it's a smaller part of that universe. And as soon as you go beyond four, it's not a national championship thing. It's just a thing thing. And I'm okay with that. That's fine by me. I just want it to be organized in such a way where if we are comparing teams, that we have similar data points. And that's what I tweeted out earlier today. I was like, going to eight is fine. Like I am never going to complain about more football. I'm not making any money, you know, relative to what these conferences are making from TV companies. I'm not making any more or less money based on what they do. We'll do another show about it, and that's pretty much how it'll affect my life other than watching more football. But we would probably if we want to get it right, and as the playoff becomes a Capital P playoff instead of a national championship grouping, then we have to discuss how do we make sure this national sport is if it's every conference, every Power five conference setting its champion to this playoff, plus whatever two at large and a group of five, which is the popular way to get to eight right now? It is How are we scheduling things? Is it eight game conference season? Is it nine game conference season? Are we doing pods? Like Bill Connolly has pretty intelligently laid out, what are we doing to get to the final point? Are we getting rid of divisions and conferences and just playing the best two teams so we can you know, not leave out you know, Alabama from last season, who was clearly one of the best two teams even with the Auburn loss in the SEC. How are we getting two conference champions? That's too conference champions? And so what are non conference schedules like? If we don't want it to be this national I'm okay with actually going back to the old PREBCS system. I'm just go back to chaos, embrace the chaos. You know, have your pack twelve and big ten teams in the rows.
Speaker 1: See, I'm not I'm not fine with that. I'm not fine with that because what if.
Speaker 2: A national championship isn't the point of college football?
Speaker 1: Tie? Well, then what is the point of college football? Why are you just win your games? Win your games? What's the if you wint up playing? If you're not going to win anything, you win the games. But if you can't win a title or something at the end of it, why play at all. They're all just exhibition games in that sense.
Speaker 2: They're not exhibition games. We embrace the fact that it's a weird sports that doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense that UCF can win twenty five straight games and not play for anything with appreciable stakes like other teams, even though that they can schedule, you know, all of the Power five teams they want for September, doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I do. I admire the willingness to just sort of go hard in the other direction, right, Yeah, I'm doing that. The sport is kind of oddly shaped. There's not a whole lot of symmetry, at least in terms of scheduling, at a minimum in terms of scheduling. And so maybe we'll never get to this point, but where we can crown a true quote unquote true national champion. That feels fair to everybody.
Speaker 2: But if the regular season is the most meaningful thing, why don't we put everything squarely.
Speaker 1: There right in? Let us know, you think we're at Soliverble and Gmail. You're telling me to write in that you you could deal with me, and you know the email dress. You know my email address. I am serious, Yeah, my serious email address.
Speaker 2: I am good with an eight teamer with normalized I'm good with a six teamer with normalized infrastructure, which means a full on governing body, because this is not the playoff, is not an NCAA event. That is nc DOUBLEA regulates eligibility and some rules, but it's not overseeing the competitive nature of the postseason.
Speaker 1: I want to hear what people have to say. I know this is kind of a charge topic. I'm not going to fight you to the death on your opinion on this matter. I've always been in favor of settling it on the field. If you're going to be of the mindset that we should crown a national champion, I think you should decide it on the field. I don't think you should leave it up to voters or metrics or what people think. I think we should use some guidance from those sources to try and determine who should be playing for it. I think that's fair, But I think you should decide it on the field. Who is your champion. Let's side field, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Just end the season with like thirty five bowl games, and that's that.
Speaker 1: All right, Ridan, let us know An you think saliverbl at Gmail, dot com, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, all the usual hotspots ran it. You have it. You know all the spots already.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I guess now would be a good time to mention that the deal is still in place, you know, hmm. If you go to the Athletic dot com slash solid verbal. We just sort of wax poetic about the incredible exclusive our friend Nicle Auerback got what you can read out there in its entirety on the Athletic dot Com. But forty percent off comes out to just two ninety nine a month. It's a great gift for the sports fan in your life. It's a great gift for you. Maybe you don't got that sports fan in your life. Maybe just want to buy yourself a gift you've worked hard this year.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. Jody, with and I just bought a subscription for herself, could have used mine. I'll be honest. I was willing to let her have it, but she said, no, I want my personalized Cago Sports and Michigan sports coverage. She got her roun she used the offer code. Absolutely, Yes, we have very expensive taste. I need I need some of that kickback.
Speaker 1: Theathletic dot Com slash solid Verbal join the future of journalism now, it's no frills. It gives you exactly what you need, really good sports content. They're continually adding to the platform to give you more of the good stuff. And lord knows, plenty of our friends are over there doing tireless, thankless work on the topic of college football, and we would encourage everyone to support their efforts. They're they're really doing a remarkable job. And whether it's the coaching carousel, whether it's stuff like this with the playoff, you can find everything you need. One fell swoop ty.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably time because I feel like saying it often enough when we talk about the sport or just weird occurrences in games. I'm gonna have to rip that Taylor Twelman audio after the USN So you didn't what are we didn't do? What are we even doing? It was so perfect. I've known Taylor for a while now and it was just the best.
Speaker 1: We got it. We're gonna have to pull that audio. That can have its own spot on the soundboard here.
Speaker 2: What are we even doing?
Speaker 1: Our other sponsor this evening is our good friends over at Indo Chino dot com. Mhm, it's I n d O chi n o dot com. No longer any excuse for wearing an ill fitted suit because Indo Chino is North America's leading made to measurements wear, a company that makes suits and shirts to your exact measurements for an unparalleled fit and comfort. You can either visit a showroom and have a stylist take your measurements personally, or you can measure at home and then you can shop online at indo Chino dot com. All you gotta do is choose your fabrics, your design customizations, be it your lapel, your jacket line and your pockets, your button, your monogram. You're feeling up to it, whatever you're into, they can do it. And then you just chill, You chill. They're gonna make your suit. It's professionally tailored again to your exact specifications. They mail it to you in a couple weeks. We've had people who listen to this program write in and wax poetic about what Indo Chino has done for them for their formal occasion, for their way. We've had people get like all of their suits for their wedding through Indochino dot com. It's really a good deal, and especially now because you can get any premium Indo chinosuit for just three p fifty nine at indochino dot com when you enter solid Solid at checkout, fifty percent off the regular price, or a made to measure premium suit. Shipping is free. One more time. That's I n d O Chiono dot com, Indochino dot com. Your promo code is solid and your offer is any premium suit for just three fifty nine and free shipping. An incredible deal for that premium made to measure suit that you know you want.
Speaker 2: I will tell you this ty, A really well fitting suit is a mind changer. You see somebody walk into a nice wedding, if it's black tie, if it's just a suit, whatever business, and they walk in wearing a really nice suit and somebody's like, oh, where's Brendan. I'm like, oh, there's Brendan, and like oh hey wow, Okay. You change people's opinions about you that you care. And that's what a really nice fitting suit can do for you. We're a superficial species tie.
Speaker 1: Let's correct. Let's steer into it. That is correct. So we do have some NFL declarations that I want to get to. But I feel like we've waited too long to talk about bulls. I'm kind of getting jumpy over here.
Speaker 2: You get a Lancy, let's a little answer.
Speaker 1: Do I play the picks of the week's sound because it's not technically a week It's like, we don't have a bowl sound per.
Speaker 2: Se unless you want to record one live right now? That might be our only option. What do you have, ty, Come on, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just gonna play it. I'm just gonna play. We need to cradle and cultivate any new sound in this program we do.
Speaker 2: It's you know, we've been playing these for a while and we're not getting rid of them. But we can add Maybe we can.
Speaker 1: Next time next week when we do our next bull show. I need to think that's through. I can't do this haphazardly.
Speaker 2: Let's do what some really smart people did with Roger Ebert's voice when he lost his ability to speak. Yeah, and we're able to make him sound like himself with the use of a machine. Let's do that with Taylor Twellman his voice to create new sounds. I can do that, by the way, yes, you know I can do that. I wouldn't put it past.
Speaker 1: You, all right. So we've got a bowl pool. It's a confidence pool. It works a little differently than the stuff we've been doing against the spread all year. The way this works is you go out to soliverble dot com slash Conpool again not the sequel to con Air, regrettably, and you pick the winners. You tell us who you think is going to win these games, and then as an additional layer on top of that, you tell us how confident you are on a scale of one, which is your least confident, to forty one, which you're most confident. If you correctly identify the winner, you get the number of points that you assigned to that game. So, for example, if you think, like most of the world that I don't know Tulane or Louisiana is gonna beat tou Lane. Let's say if you're very confident in that you pick Louisiana, Louisiana wins, you get forty points. You get forty points, so the deep end of the conpool, that's right. If you lose, you don't get any points. If you only put one, you only get one point. But it's very easy. We've got some of the smartest listeners in all the podcast the sphere listening to this show. Clearly people can figure this out.
Speaker 2: So to honor the conpool, I am going to select Bowl winners based on how buoyant I believe they're head coach. To be perfect PERF who the more buoyant head coaches in each matchup?
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you brought that up. Yeah, because I have a couple rules that I like to follow in confidence pools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cop of years I have mine.
Speaker 1: Can I identify my three rules before we get use this flora is yours? So the first rule, it's one that I've discussed here at nauseum over the last couple of seasons, and I call it the East Coast Elliott rule. I didn't come up with it. I'm not smart enough to come up with it. East Coast Elliott is a bit of a mad scientist. He's the one that first introduced this to me. I think it's brilliant. His point is that you should load up on your confidence points early because there are a lot of these early games that people don't know about. But the early games tend to be bigger mismatches just because of the way things shake out, they tend to be bigger mismatches. Maybe they have the same record, but if you actually dig in, which we're going to start doing here through the first seven games, oftentimes the end up being bigger mismatches. And a lot of people don't put their early confidence points on those games because they don't know the teams. So it's a good opportunity for you if you can spot a mismatch to load up on points early and get some points on the board. So that's the first thing. Since I started doing that, I have done much much better in my own confidence pools. Nice, all right, So that's one. That's the first thing you should do. The second thing is just look at the at the setting for a bowl game. This has become, i think a little bit more prominent as of late because of guys sitting out for the NFL. But certainly we've just gotten done talking about coaching moves and all sorts of atmospherics that can play into what kind of team is going to the bowl. Right, So if a team lost its coach, consider picking the opponent. Not every case, but least at least consider it. If you've got a monster injury. You got to consider that. And then we've got this thing again with guys skipping their bowl games. I look at the game like between West Virginia and Syracuse, Will Greer quarterback not playing. To me, that's pretty significant. I'm gonna go Syracuse in that game. I'm gonna go Syracuse in that game almost solely because of Willgrew not playing. Consider it. And then the third rule, I'd say, just in general, pick the team that you think wants it more. Unless it's a total mismatch.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: Unless it's a total mismatch, pick the team that you think wants it more. I'm looking at that Auburn Perdue game in the Music City Bowl, all right, I have to imagine that Auburn couldn't give a flying f about that football game. Why would they? It's Purdue. Meanwhile, Perdue, I think they're looking at it from a much different perspective. They're holding on to their coach who's done a great job in two seasons. I have to imagine the game means a hell of a lot more to them than it does Auburn. The question you have to ask yourself, is it too big of a mismatch? We'll talk about that in a few weeks. But these are the questions that I'm asking again on this show. We're gonna be the first batch of games, which runs from Saturday the fifteenth. This Saturday the fifteenth through Thursday the twentieth, we'll preview all of the FBS games, but it is worth noting that they're one other, one other game on your confidence pool, and that's the Air Force Reserve Celebration Bowl between North Carolina A and T, the Aggies and the Alkhorn State Braves. They play it in Atlanta, North Carolina A and T favored by seven and a half. I'm not gonna pretend to know Hyde nor hair about this game or any of these teams. Right, I'm gonna get saucy. I'm gonna go against the Braves in Atlanta, and I'm gonna say North Carolina A and T a good team. They're gonna win outright, And I'm putting all forty one points in that first game.
Speaker 2: And once again, I only have one element that will help me pick these games, and that is buoyancy, the upward force exerted by a fluid that opposes the weight of an immersed object. And I am going to pick these games based on which coach seems more likely to float his buoyance.
Speaker 1: What are our options here?
Speaker 2: All right, let's start here with the You want to talk the AutoNation Cure Bowl, Willy Fritz personally, Well, no, no, no, hope. First off, who are you picking? In the Celebration Bowl. It was North Carolina A and T against Alcorn State. Let's go North Carolina A and T.
Speaker 1: Okay, we agree.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know that. I'm not going to pretend to the boyancies. I've done a lot of buoyancy research, but not about those two coaches.
Speaker 1: All right, now, were as you were?
Speaker 2: Uh, let's start here with the AutoNation Cure Bowl in Orlando. Tulane a decent enough season. They go six and six, but they're in a bowl game, and they've got a wonderful mascot in the Angry Wave, and they're taking on the rage in Cajuns of Louisiana aka Louisiana Lafayette. Willie Fritz, Billy Napier seven and six and Tulane I believe is favored by a field goal.
Speaker 1: Ish that is correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I my just gut is Tulane is better because Louisiana has the worst defense. And that's when I'm being serious. What I look at in a game like this, and Tulane can run the ball. I also believe Willie Fritz to be slightly more buoyant than Billy Napier.
Speaker 1: Okay, see, I look at this game a little differently. Tulane fired their oc after their offense was terrible. It was not good ninety third nationally in scoring. Also, look at four of Louisiana's six losses. They were to ten and two app State twice. They lost once in the regular season again in the title game. For their confidence. They lost to Mississippi State and Alabama. And they've got a really good running game in the backfield. Good losses, Yeah, good losses. The other team had some coaching turnover. I think the wrong team is favored here. I'm going Louisiana with a fair amount of confidence. I'll go let's say thirty eight. Wow, load up, Burt, really going early in the contact. That's what you do, man, all right with Okay, there is a layer. Yes, we need to talk about this. Please give me the layer tie. Because you put together swag Dan swag swag. Now I must admit I am hesitant to read some of these gifts aloud. So if you're listening for the first time, like what is this college football thing? The kids go to the bowl games and without exception, they all get gifts.
Speaker 2: Are you hesitant?
Speaker 1: Because I there are words in here that I have not practiced. Okay, and you know what happens to me. I tend to overthink it glow and that's when globe tomatoes turn into globe tomatoes, which do not exist.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Here's what we've got here for the automation cure ball. A Hollowway Force jacket m HM, sunglasses with the carry case, an energizer power bank, a Duffel bag, pebble beach pebble Beach slides it says here, which I'm guessing must be the new eye slide sandals, a dop kit, which I believe is a bunch of toiletry bags. Toiletry bag, Yeah, useful, very useful, sport tech long sleeve contender T shirt, and a cap.
Speaker 2: I think this is a real winner of a swag list.
Speaker 1: What is a Holloway Force jacket.
Speaker 2: I looked it up. It's like a soft hoodie, like a thin soft hoodie that you'd maybe wear on like a slightly chilli day or around the house of it's little chili out. I'm wearing something comparable right now, and I think that's great and it looks great to me. Nobody on this list is paying for any sort of compliments. The power bank is great. I use my portable phone battery when we were in Fargo. The dop kit is useful. This is I would say, the solid B plus a minus right here.
Speaker 1: This is everything you need to go on like a nice day trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. The Cure Bowl, le's we disagree.
Speaker 1: Moving on the New Mexico Bowl. They played in Albuquerque Saturday. It's at two pm on ESPN North Texas. The Mean Green at nine and three, squaring off against Utah State at ten and two. The point spread, for those that matter, is eight points in favor of the Utah State. Aggie's excuse me. You may remember that Utah State. We talked a little bit about them down the stretcher because they lost their coach, Matt Wells, to Texas Tech. He's taken a good chunk of that staff from Utah State with him. Of note, when you're picking games, Matt Wells will be involved in practice and in the game planning for the New Mexico Bowl, but he's not going to coach the team on game day. On the flip side, we got the mean green North Texas holding on to Seth Latrell after he was rumored for and eventually pulled his name out of that case State coaching search. This would be the first time that North Texas has won ten games since nineteen forty seven, and I'm not counting the nineteen seventy seven season where they want a game in there because of a forfeit. So I think a lot on the line for North Texas. I think Utah stayed in a bit of coaching turmoil. You know how I feel about that rule number two. Though I feel like Utah State is better on both offense and defense, it's not what I would consider a full on mispatch. So I go mean green out right here to the tune of not like thirty eight points, but I'm gonna say twenty five.
Speaker 2: So Utah State's head coach who led them to this season will not be on the sidelines during the game. So, by default, Seth Latrell, the more buoyant of the two coaches in the Conpool. Also Utah State, while a really good year going ten to two and playing for the Mountain West. Well near the end they were in it for the Mountain West. They really inflated that record with some wins over some pretty bad teams. Whereas North Texas I felt like was a little bit more competitive, even though they do lose to I believe they lost early to you. Who do they lose to? UAB?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 2: With North Texas here. I think North Texas is the more stable program. Seth Latrell opted to stay in Denton. So I have the mean green twenty eight twenty one here with medium amount of confidence.
Speaker 1: WI all right, swag swag A gifts sweet? Okay, gifts sweet. So they put them in a room. I guess they let them walk around pick gifts, or they just give them a gift bag or something like that. Oakley Jupiter Squared sunglasses.
Speaker 2: I looked them up. They're all right, Okay, they're like a if you're bip Roberts. You didn't expect a bit Roberts reference, did you?
Speaker 1: No? I didn't, Okay, I didn't. Also an Oakley five Speed backpack, a Bluetooth speaker, a water, bottle of beanie, a Montgomery fountain pen mm hm. You ever use a fountain pen before? Not often? Probably once or twice at a bank. Maybe takes a little finestan not gonna lie. Yeah, mm hmm. And a headwear trucker's cap. That's what we're looking at here.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, this is fine.
Speaker 1: This is a beach trip. This is a beach trip, is what this is. The bluetooth speaker in the backpack and the sunglasses. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And when you go to beachy Albuquerque nice, you have to you have to come prepared. A bluetooth speaker is great. It's valuable. Water always good and great for the environment. Not using plastic and uh, I'm it's fine. Nothing, that is why. And me, I don't know what's in the gift suite. I will you know. If there are a lot of enchiladas at the New Mexico Bowl, then you can sell.
Speaker 1: Me as always if any of these bulls want to send us free swag, we are interested. Yeah, or enchiladas also cenchiladas the mid Subishi Motors Las Vegas bull They play it at sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas. It's on ABC Saturday three thirty Arizona State at seven and five versus Fresno State, your Fresno State Bulldogs at eleven and two. They're a four point favorite. Of note here, Nikila Harry going pro will not be playing in this game for ASU, So again coming back to my rules, that's one strike against ASU. The other thing Dan when you look at the numbers for this game, Fresno's really legit. Like we didn't talk enough about it this season because a lot of times they're playing late. They're a group of five team and they don't maybe get as much visibility as some of the Power five games that we talk about. But this is a good football team. They're good on offense, they're top ten on defense, and they're a group of five school going up against a Pac twelve school, which to me says that they're going to be fired up for the bowl game. Plus, I believe it's Marcus mcmarion's final game as quarterback for Fresno SE. He got that feel good angle mixed in there as well. I am very confident in Fresno for all of those reasons, and I'm going to go Fresno here minus the points early lock and forty confidence points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this feels like a who wants to be there? Who does in Arizona State in it pretty late for the PAC twelve South and don't make it happen. ASU also losing a key recruiting weekend with signing day coming just a couple days after this game. The game's on Saturday, the fifteenth, sign day I believe is what the eighteenth, nineteenth somewhere in the nineteenth. Yeah, and so this also plays into de facto Super Bowl time, that's right, Yeah, because Fresno State on a big stage network TV. I think it's on ABC, right, yep, ABC. So this is a huge showcase for Fresno to potentially take down a Pac twelve team. So I think they match up well. They stop the run super well with with you know, Benjamin on the other side of Arizona State, it's gonna have to lean on that. So I'm I'm right there with you with a pretty high level of confidence in Fresno State. I also feel like herm Edwards is very dense, so I think he's sinking like a stone. So buoyancy wise, okay, I am. I'm taking Fresno State in the deep end of the conpool.
Speaker 1: They get a gift suite, a collectible Las Vegas item to be determined, A dad hat, a beanie, and a Fannie pack.
Speaker 2: Doesn't wow me. But you can eat super well.
Speaker 1: That gift suite's doing a lot of heavy lifting in this.
Speaker 2: Doing a lot of lifting. When was the last time you were in Vegas? It's been a long time.
Speaker 1: For me, man. I was there a couple of years ago for a conference for the Mysterious Daye But that was the last time.
Speaker 2: Did you eat well?
Speaker 1: I don't think I did. Actually, I know you can't eat well, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you definitely.
Speaker 1: It was one of those these teams will Yeah, it was one of those conference deals where you know your schedule was kind of out of whack, and now I wasn't able to eat as well as I would have.
Speaker 2: Liked my food recommendation here because I'm not going to recommend something in the Giant Hotel. I haven't been there, but people I trust swear by Lotus of Siam, a tie place in like a strip mall that is apparently legendary in the Vegas area. So if you're an ASU fan or a Fresno States fan, Lotus of Siam.
Speaker 1: The raycom Media Camellia Bowl played at Montgomery, Alabama's Crampton Bowl Saturday thirty ESPN. We've got Georgia Southern at nine and three against Eastern Michigan at seven and five. Southern is a one point favorite. Team is a weird one if you ask me, because statistically pretty even match, and the point spread reflects that only one in favor of Georgia Southern. So Vegas is seeing it too. The thing that I like is that Georgia Southern runs that option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the shotgun flexbone thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough to simulate that. You can simulate it with your practice squad. It's tough to simulate it well enough that you can get good at stopping it, even if you've got some advanced notice knowing that it's coming.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Granted, I think the best unit on the field is that Eastern Michigan defense, but they're going to have their work cut out for them here. I think the option is too much for Eastern. I don't have a ton of confidence in this game, but I'm still gonna go a little higher than most and say twenty six points in favor of Southern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's right. I'm worried about Eastern Michigan's defense, and I'm worried that you look at the teams that they were able to beat to get to this point, and there's not a lot of top sixty five seventy seventy five the way of SMP plus teams here. So Eastern Michigan appol eligible and that's a huge win. I'm going Georgia Southern here, and it just so happened that I think Lunsford is a little bit more buoyant than Chris Creighton, who looks pretty jacked. Yeah yeah, Muscle is denser than fat. Yeah yeah. So I'm gonna go with a I'm go with the Eagles here.
Speaker 1: They get a gift suite, a fossil watch, a Samsonite rolling Duffel bag, a beanie nice a beanie, and a big game football, which is a specific kind of football. I'm guessing you're somebody.
Speaker 2: I don't think i'm speaking out of turn here, but you are somebody when given free bags or free luggage, you are happy to take advantage in perpetuity. I think you still use your National Championship backpack. I'm looking at it right now here in the studio. I took in a great job for US toting equipment here and there to.
Speaker 1: Farga North Dakota the National Championship North Texas twenty fifteen backpack that they gave us an Augio backpack. Maybe we'll see some Aji here a little bit later on in bowl season.
Speaker 2: This feels like a premium Duffel tie.
Speaker 1: It does got rolling wheels on it. That's not bad.
Speaker 2: It looks I don't know what. There are various sizes. Do you wear a watch? What a watch appeal to you?
Speaker 1: Here? The fossil watches tend to be a little too big for me, a little too much wash, yeah, yeah, a little too much watch face for me. But I think this is solid here, I genuinely do, and I believe no I'm wrong. I was gonna mention a restaurant, but that was Birmingham, not Montgomery. We'll move on, all right. The RNL Carrier's New Orleans Bowl played at Mercedes Benz Stadium in New Orleans Saturday, nine pm ESPN, Middle Tennessee against app State. App State is a seven point favorite. The teams here, it just says gift, sweet and fossil watch.
Speaker 2: Dan, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I would like a little bit more in the way of details before I score this one again. Gift suite doing a lot of heavy lifting.
Speaker 2: I'll bet there's good stuff. It's in New Orleans. Maybe we get some some beaded paraphernalia.
Speaker 1: Be careful, be careful with the beads on Bourbon Street.
Speaker 2: Do you know Ty that there is a basically a month long holiday in New Orleans in December where you can go to basically any restaurant and there's like a forty seven course to celebrate the holidays, and it looks fantastic. And for that reason, I think I'm actually going app State here. Okay, I think Tennessee's a little bit too close, a little bit too familiar with New Orleans in December where it's new to app State. I know we have a coaching situation with Scott Saderfield leaving for Louisville, so I'm not gonna be paid. I'm not gonna be picking based on that. But yeah, I don't have a picture of Brent stock still in front of me. I'm gonna go app State here. I'm going to go against East Coast Elliott with his you know, not having a coach whatever. Middle Tennessee is another one of those teams that picked up a lot of wins against some lowly teams or as app State even without and I know Scott Saderfield is now bringing both his offensive and defensive coordinators from from to Louisville. I am going to go app State here. I just think their quality is too high and I'm going to do it with a good amount of confidence.
Speaker 1: So the mismatchometer is in the red. Yeah, you're burying the hunter here. Yeah. That and look, I think that is the exception to rule too. Yeah, if you find that it's a mismatch despite turnover of any kind, you go with the better team. And I think I agree with you here Again, Saderfield's got Sadurfield headed to Louisville. It was unclear initially if he was going to stick around and maybe coach app State in the bowl game, but that's not going to happen here. Mark Ivy is going to take over as the interim coach. I agree with you. App State's the better team. They're favored by a touchdown, They're Sophomore quarterback Zach Thomas has been ridiculous all season. Law He was named the Sun Belts Offensive Player of the year. I think app State is the better team. I Am not going to put a high level of confidence on this one, like not forty points, but I feel like app State is definitely gonna win this football game. So I'm gonna go thirty one points on the Mountaineers.
Speaker 2: Quick correction, it is Rick Stockstell. Brent is his son who is the quarterback. I'm going to stand by my app State pick.
Speaker 1: The Seruh Bundy Boca Ratone Bowl. They play this one in Boca at Howard Schnellenberger Field at FAU Stadium. It's on Tuesday on ESPN seven pm. We've got UAB Howab at ten and three versus the Northern Illinois Huskies at eight and five. Howab is a two and a half point favorite. The teams in this one get a gift suite, a draw string backpack, a beach towel in a.
Speaker 2: Football well, you get to go to Boca. It's pretty nice down there, especially.
Speaker 1: Yes, draw string backpacks, in my experience, are usually pretty poorly made. Like that's a cheap gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't do a lot for me.
Speaker 1: You get that if you go to like a Microsoft conference. Okay, a draw string backpack you can do better. Cherub Bundy.
Speaker 2: What do you know what cherub Bundy is?
Speaker 1: No, what is cherubundy.
Speaker 2: Cherub Bundy is a tart cherry juice. Do you know what tart cherry juice is good for gout? I mean probably? Yeah, I tell you it's really good, and that makes sense that it would be. But I know it's also really good for muscle recovery, muscle relaxation, supposed to help you with your sleep a little bit. It's supposed to be very densely populated with good things for your body. Cher it my medical Yeah, I've never had cherub Bundy. I can't speak to that specific brand. I've just had it before, the juice itself. So I'm going to put a good amount of confidence in this conpool in U in NIU really Okay? Why I'm going with Northern Illinois. You look at the two schedules and you look at what they were and not able to do. And I had one of the secretly more impossible non conference schedules in America with Utah Florida State, and I want to say Iowa representing three of their five losses. They won the MAC. They had big wins over a couple of interesting teams, good teams like Buffalo in the championship game. Very strange to say so. In terms of that, I like Niu. I think UAB is just talent wise not necessarily on NIU's level. With that defense that should mostly shut down the Blazers. Okay, that's how I feel. Buoyancy wise, I think I'm gonna go NIU as well. This is going to be a super low scoring Bill Clark looks tense, super low scoring game because both defenses are pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The problem for me is that NIU's offense is genuinely bad, and I think they're more trouble scoring. I'm going on the Hoab train here, Dan, I am. I'm going to do it. Not a ton of confidence, so only ten confidence points.
Speaker 2: I think Rod Kerry floats, Yeah, he sounds like he does. I think Helot's yeah.
Speaker 1: Ten points. The d x L Frisco Bowl in Frisco, Texas at Toyota Stadium, I believe where they play the FCS National Championship correct Wednesday, eight pm, so probably around the time that we're going to be editing our show a week from today. It's San Diego State at seven and five it is the Ohio Bobcats at eight and four Ohio actually favored by three. They get a gift suite, a beanie cap, a coin, a pin, a big game football, and a Justin Cowboy hat.
Speaker 2: Dan, I've looked it up. You get Justin Cowboy hats on Amazon. Justin, I believe is a name brand. Yes, yeah, under what's Jared? He went to Jared, Oh, he's wearing just hat.
Speaker 1: That's right. Under what circumstances? Would you wear a cowboy hat?
Speaker 2: It won't wouldn't take much. Cowboy hats are great.
Speaker 1: Would you? What would it take for you to wear a hat out in Brooklyn? Just casually?
Speaker 2: Am I going somewhere? Am I going grocery shopping? Am I going to brunch? What's my mo here?
Speaker 1: I need to know. I need to know the scenario in which you would look around at baseball caps and beanies and whatever other headwear you have in your closet and decide that you're going to wear instead the Justin Cowboy hat out on the mean streets of Brooklyn.
Speaker 2: I think it's a mood thing. I don't think it's a situation thing. Actually, the more I think about it, sometimes you're just in a cowboy hat mood. Yeah, I don't know if it's that happened off. If you're going leather, often to you, it happens more than you'd think. It happens more than you'd think. And the justin hats look good enough. You have your beanie, you have your coin, you have a commemorative pin. I hope the gift suite is doing well in Frisco. By the way, do you know what DXL is?
Speaker 1: DXL isn't that the new version of big and Tall casual meal?
Speaker 2: It is? I think so D stands for a dude XL destination x L Okay. I clicked on this website and we've already we already have an apparel sponsor for this show. So all I'm going to say is, if you're a larger dude, seems pretty good. Seems pretty good.
Speaker 1: DXL Frisco Bowl, Get the cowboy hat, you get your your beanie, cap, your your coin, your pin. DXL, by the way, a great sponsor for a college bowl game.
Speaker 2: This would this would actually it would make sense that I don't see it here and maybe in previous years this was true of the Belk Bowl, where you get a shopping spree, you know, and they would always be like an unnamed amount of money or whatever to Belk. Do we have a DXL that we can get these offensive and defensive linemen to around Frisco. I'm looking up DXL locations. Unfortunately for US, ty we are not Excel people. No. Oh, they're all over Texas, Tye. The shops at Parclay in the Dallas area. Oh yeah, they're in Fort Worth. Oh yeah. Get yourself to a DXL if you're a larger human and you are playing in the DXL, which BAWL is US.
Speaker 1: The Frisco Bowl. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: So San Diego State, Ohio, San.
Speaker 1: Diego State, Ohio, Rocky Long, you know him. We've talked about him for SDSU. He's taken the Aztecs to a bowl game in all eight seasons that he's been there. The defense is there this year, but the offense really is that.
Speaker 2: They left the offense in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: The offense is taking a gap year. Yeah, and I think this presents it opening for an Ohio State now and I think this presents an opening for an Ohio team. It's been dynamic offensively.
Speaker 2: It's been battles, especially the back half of this year. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the last what five of their six games to close the season, they scored forty nine points at a minimum forty nine points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put it on.
Speaker 1: You could trast that with San Diego State, which lost four of their last five here. So you've got a real good clash of strength and weakness the Ohio offense, the ASTech defense, and then almost a battle of weaknesses between the San Diego State offense and the Ohio defense, which has also been pretty bad. I'm going to go Ohio here, Dan, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I like the quarterback situation a lot more with the Bobcats when Nathan Rourke has been able to do. I am going Ohio here. I'm putting a good amount of confidence in a San Diego State. Even with the road win at Boise State, which was crazy impressive, it's just been kind of a nightmare of the back half of the year, just losing close, losing big, whatever. It hasn't been great for the Aztecs. It's been a guys, you're right, a gap year, and Frank Solich is a survivor, and so I don't think he's going down buoyancy whatever is opposing him. Rocky long, little older. I'm going with Frank Solich in the conpool. So a healthy amount of confidence here in the Bobcat.
Speaker 1: Thirty eight points for me.
Speaker 2: Whoa, oh you manly a strategy? All right, this is your all fantasy Baseball closer strategy.
Speaker 1: Punt on the winds, load up on stage. Why not? Yeah, finally we're gonna do this one, even though technically it will come after one of our upcoming shows. But just to give everyone a little bit more runway to make these picks, we're not going to preview every game tonight. It is the Bad Boy Mower's gas Parilla Bowl. Yes, I'm going to ask you again, is it Gasparilla or Gasparilla?
Speaker 2: I really, you know, I would hope it would be Gasparia, but I think it is Gasparilla.
Speaker 1: Gas Parilla? What is Gasparilla?
Speaker 2: We've talked about We've probably talked about this the entirety of this bowl existing. It's like a pirate themed something in Tampa parade, a celebration of some kind. So obviously you know about the Buccaneers in Tampa. There is that, you know, you have the ship and Raymond James, So I think it's along those lines.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm looking right now at bad Boy Mowers. Let me tell you, as a new homeowner, I could get into this.
Speaker 2: You have a big yard.
Speaker 1: I could sink my teeth into a nice zero turn mower.
Speaker 2: You have handheld or a rider right now?
Speaker 1: I have a push mower right now? Self?
Speaker 2: You a push mower?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but these are rappy with it? I'm happy with it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The riding mowers seem like you should only have them if you have a ton of lawn acres upon acres to mow, or walking is difficult. I say that as somebody who's never had a lawn, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: I could see the zero turn riding mower here, okay, and.
Speaker 2: What do you what are you walking away from this bowl?
Speaker 1: And if you're playing it says you're walking away with a gift suite, din.
Speaker 2: Come on, bad Boy Mowers. Yeah, I don't know what I would go for the gift suite. Once in the gift suite, do you go for the big ticket items or do you load up on quantity.
Speaker 1: I think you gotta go big ticket items. Right.
Speaker 2: You just take a Bluetooth speaker and that's that.
Speaker 1: Take the thing that you're gonna use, not the thing that you think you might use.
Speaker 2: But you could also get a bunch and give them away as gifts, bunch of little things.
Speaker 1: You could. But you earned it if you're a college football but you earned it. You put your blood, sweat and tears into this team all year. You go to the bowl game. This should be about celebrating you and your team. So pick something that you personally would want.
Speaker 2: Fair. Yeah, I could see somebody's aunt wanting a bad boy mower's gasparilla bowle pull over.
Speaker 1: Okay, I could all right. Well, Thursday, the twentieth of December, eight pm, ESPN, Marshall at eight and four, South Florida at seven and five. The Bulls are a two and a half point favorite. I've got two notes here, both of which are on the South Florida side. Number one st and Gilbert, their offensive coordinator, left to be the head coach at McNeese State. I don't know if that matters, because, as you know, not all coaching turnover is created equal. The Bulls on offense really limped to the finish out there, and.
Speaker 2: Yes they did.
Speaker 1: If you read what people are saying, Bulls fans were not happy with the product that Gilbert was putting out there down the stretch. So maybe this is for the better. I don't know. Point two, Blake Barnett actually hurt his shoulder and his ankle and he missed two of the last three games at the end of the year, which certainly contributes a little bit to any offensive woes. It is unclear at time of recording if he's going to play in this Bowl game, and even if he plays, how effective he will be. Well that as the backdrop, Dan, what do you got?
Speaker 2: First of all, there is a density to Charlie Strong that I do not trust in the conpool. There just isn't. Also, USF is playing at home and they're only favored by two and a half. That's worrisome to me. So give me Doc and Marshall. Give me Doc and the Herd. I'm in. I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go way, I'm gonna go Marshall as well. Because of the defense. Their offense is dreadful, very dreadful.
Speaker 2: It improved, it improved, Marshals.
Speaker 1: It improved, and it's still dreadful, which tells us something. But maybe they get a big player from Tyer Brady. Their playmaker out wide. Maybe it's just a stifling effort from the defense, but there's enough uncertainty on the South Florida side. I agree with you. Playing the game at home and only being favored by two and a half against a team that has a pretty bad offense. That's a bit of an indicator. I am not very confident in this Marshall pick, mind you. So I'm gonna go Marshall with like, let's say twelve points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say nine or ten.
Speaker 1: For me, I'm gonna go twelve.
Speaker 2: They definitely played better second half of it year, but this is more betting against the or betting, yeah, betting against the lack of momentum that USF has right now as a program. Defense takes a big step in the wrong direction this year. You know, there's unhappiness, you know with Sterling Gilbert as you mentioned, and the health at quarterback. It's all worrisome to me. So I'm going with stability here. I'm going with.
Speaker 1: Marshall again my three rules. We're not going to be with you to make all of these picks. But as you make the picks first and foremost, well it up early. Get all your confidence points out early or as many as you're willing to gamble early, get them out there. Number two consider the turnover right coaches leaving, are their injuries or the guys sitting out? Considerate, look to see if it's a mismatch, but at least considerate. And number three look to see motivation. Who wants to be there? Who doesn't?
Speaker 2: And number four buoyancy buoyancy right conpool buoyancy and I'm not loving Charlie Strong in a pool right now.
Speaker 1: Sad to say, well, there you go, there's your first batch of games here. Yeah on the verbal hope it helps again. Soliverble at gmail dot com emails so let us know what you think would be curious.
Speaker 2: So there are one, two, three, four five on Saturday. Yes, Saturday is a pretty fun day because we haven't had football in a little while on this level on the FBS and Power five levels, since we do have Arizona State playing, but everybody's going to be tuned in basically watching the same games at stretches four stretches. We'll have a lot of eyeballs on Arizona State Fresno State, which is never true. We'll have a lot of eyeballs on Georgia Southern Eastern Michigan, which would never be true. I know there's Thursday night games and Wednesday night games, Tuesday night games, but this is everybody on a Saturday in front of a TV paying attention to teams that maybe the casual fan doesn't always pay attention to. So there is something that I still maintain is pretty cool about this Opening Bowl Saturday.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then we got Tuesday is UAB, Wednesday is San Diego State, Ohio. Thursday Marshall USF. That's great.
Speaker 1: So here's the deal. We'll be back again on Sunday. We're gonna preview more Bowl games. We'll probably i'm sure, talk about some of the results of these games on Saturday. But make sure if you haven't already to sign up for the Bowl Pick and Pool, the Bowl Confidence Pool. Excuse me at soliverble dot com slash Conpool, Daniel Conpool con Pool. It's free to play. The winner's gonna get T shirt. We'll hook you up, we promise. Okay. On that note, Dan, and before we go any further, please tell me some of the names of guys who have decided they're going to go early to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that's happening more and more, and it'll happen after bowl games as well. I think you can have until mid January. I want to say, is a cut off point. Yeah, they've been changing it. Jared'stidham for Auburn. He certainly considered it last year and heard his stock coming back with his season, But we'll see how he's evaluated. Greedy Williams at LSU considered to be one of, if not the best cover corner in the nation. Noah fanse Tight you know Iowa, mister incredible for Iowa. Did a great job alongside t J. Hawkinson this year. Brian Burns the end at Florida State, really good pass rusher, AJ Brown, and just have agreaker in general. AJ Brown, who is among the most talented receivers in the country, wasn't as prolific this year with some inconsistencies with ole Miss in general. DJ Metcalf, same story there with ole Miss and Greg Little. A nice year and a nice enough year. I haven't watched a lot of tape on left tackle for ole Miss, but came in super highly regarded and obviously either as done with his time at ole Miss or feels he can make a splash in the NFL. So those are some of the big ones that have happened in the last few days. I saw FAU. I think it's Devin Singletary who had a crazy good twenty seventeen. He declared as well. So there are more names pay attention to. But it keeps happening. It's going to just like every year. It's going to be a completely new look year in college football. I think the heater just kicked on in this room.
Speaker 1: Yeah hear it, I do hear it in the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't. That was unexpected.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, it's a good time then to depart.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Thank you again to everyone for downloading the show. Please do get on in that confidence pool. We'll be back on Sunday to talk more college football, more bowl season, more news, where coaching carousel. Who knows what will pop up after we hit the stop button. But in the meantime, enjoy the rest of your week, Enjoy your weekend. My name is Ty, his name is Dan. Until next time, stay solid, peace,