Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listening podcast.
Speaker 2: You can't predict anything.
Speaker 1: The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for ELK. First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I T E dot com.
Speaker 3: Steve had a little incident today with Chase.
Speaker 2: Got machine has been we should we should get going anyway. Steve driving incident today.
Speaker 1: Little always point out at that place. I tell my kids someone's gonna die here.
Speaker 2: Well, you've out did from road rage another guy.
Speaker 1: You know what, I know he got another altercation.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest. Your your compadres here made it seem a lot worse than I was expecting me. I saw like eighty on the on the pedometer. They were saying like sixty five max. That's all we were going to get out of here today. That's not what I said. If you want, if you go name names, I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: If you're Livingston, Montana and you're trying to get uh, westbound on I ninety at the main Livingstone thing. There's an entrance there that it's like the engineer that designed it should be shot run over on that. It is the worst highway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not. It's questionable.
Speaker 1: No, And I always tell my kids, like, someone's gonna get killed at this entrance. You like, there's no like, you're just there, You're just on the highway.
Speaker 2: I start sweating every time I get on the free one. Say I'm on your side, Steve.
Speaker 1: You can't. It's the runway is so short. You like, you do the little loop and all of a sudden there you are, and like dudes that don't get over. It's not like you can stop and then wait a while and then merge out later. You have to just go and they have to let you in.
Speaker 2: This guy didn't want to let you in.
Speaker 1: No, And then he wanted to have a little conniption hawk in his heart. And I noticed he got new an altercation. I was in my in my rear side view mirror. I watched him having like a little blinker war with another guy.
Speaker 2: He was having a bad days. Just one of those guys, you know, he's one of those guys.
Speaker 1: I think that like. I liked it. I mean, I'm entering the highway, get let me in. Yeah, and if you want to not.
Speaker 4: Do that, But how would you rate your own driving in general?
Speaker 2: I don't need to rate it.
Speaker 1: I have the stats to back it up.
Speaker 2: What stats like?
Speaker 1: I told my first car on a two track on a two track, crashed tree, trying to open the trying you know the little the windows in the back trucks used to have, trying to hand a beer through to a guy named Brian Peterson and hit an oak tree on a logging.
Speaker 2: Road and they were in the bed.
Speaker 1: They were in the bed of the truck. They all got lunch, but that was one of the worst thing. So I bought that truck for six hundred dollars. Was on the corner of Russell and Riley Thompson, Dalton Township, Michigan, seventy nine. Chev Mm hmmm two will drive Blue Chevy.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're all bout some team Chevy.
Speaker 1: That's the voice to Chase. When I get to reading you about how credential Chase Elliott is is a NASCAR driver, You're gonna blow your mind.
Speaker 2: The back.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to the listener. You won't believe it. How credential this gentleman is that race car driving?
Speaker 2: You might? You might not. Well we'll find out. Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: I'll have to wait and see. What was I getting at? Oh that truck truck? Yeah, so was at the corner of Russell and Riley Thompson. Six hundred bucks, stick shift mm hmm, short box, short ish, but we didn't have an eight foot box on, which is a bummer. My next truck did, which was three hundred dollars. Anyways, regular cab, short of mileage, regular cab. What's up?
Speaker 2: What was the mileage?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: I mean, I assume so for six hundred bucks, but I just was curious.
Speaker 1: It was, yeah, a long time ago. This would have been and this would have been when I turned sixteen, So it had been in nineteen eighty nineteen. No, no, no, no, eighty six would have been nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: That wasn't that long ago. My first truck was a shortbed, regular cab, Chevy eighty eight.
Speaker 1: I didn't have this truck long anyway. Let me tell you what happened. Yeah, no, Well, so I crashed it into this oak tree and ash it all in. Matt Jones, who was a total gearhead, like you know what you had to do most likely to succeed. He was such a gearhead. I voted for him, no one else did. By sawing him like, I mean, he'll be successful at fixing cars and all this stuff. He became like a hydraulics mechanic. Anyhow, I sold it to him for one so now and because he's such a gearhead. Two days later, some bitch driving the truck round looked just like when I had it before I crashed it. Yes, soared a strong life.
Speaker 3: The same thing happened with I blew my truck up on the interstate driving to college. And when I was back for Christmas this past year, I saw some dude driving it around.
Speaker 2: M hmm, really yeah, takes out fix it up?
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 1: Then that, Then I bought another chev after that, Then I bought another, Then I bought a another chev after that.
Speaker 2: There you go, Team Chevy. Yeah, and there's a reason you keep going back.
Speaker 4: As you matured, your your level of driving improved beyond.
Speaker 1: Oh point being so I that was the whole I've never had. I've never had of trouble with the cops ever.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good.
Speaker 1: Never had like a moving violation nothing like that.
Speaker 4: You don't speed.
Speaker 2: You never got a speed ticket? Yeah, I mean you get a ticket for the crash.
Speaker 1: No, because that was off in the woods. I rolled. I had a Conno Line van that I traded Ronnie Bain. I traded him a husk bar in a two fifty two chainsaw and I think two hundred and fifty bucks for van. Rolled it on the ice. Destroyed that and it don't had nothing bad has ever happened to me. That's not something like like like facts speak for themselves. I never even killed a deer. I hit one with the side you mirror, but couldn't find it.
Speaker 2: He made it, he might have killed one.
Speaker 1: We looked all over. I thought for sure it'd be dead, but we couldn't find it. Tried to trail it. So yeah, I'm a good driver.
Speaker 5: All crashes off road, none on road, none on right A trey.
Speaker 1: Off road like boskey, that's what we called it growing up.
Speaker 2: My only speeding ticket was with you in your truck.
Speaker 1: Remember that who was driving?
Speaker 2: I was It was his speeding ticket in Wyoming.
Speaker 4: I never forgot about that speed limit.
Speaker 2: I was like, I hope this cop some young dude.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Stephen Ranella I look in the mirror at some white haired old dude had no clue.
Speaker 2: Ninety bucks.
Speaker 1: I've been let go. I've been let off on some tickets. And I got a minor ticket not long ago. But I was doing a good favor. Remember we did that giveaway where we brought chainsaws to all the dudes that enrolled Black Management. Yeah, well, I was dropping off my chainsaw and got a speeding ticket, but he lowered it down to like barely speeding and I could just take care of it in the mail. No one time.
Speaker 4: Speeding tickets, Yep, I got one, like, well, it was a warning a couple of weeks ago. And then you were I mean, you know what my record is when I like drove, Oh yeah, you never drove d for like four hours.
Speaker 2: I still think about that Texas Texas.
Speaker 1: She only yeah, like Krin hadn't driven for like eighty years and then like drove a car for the first time and only drove in the passing.
Speaker 4: Lane between Waco and Austin. And you guys about ship yourself.
Speaker 1: One time when I was working for Ronnie, same guy got the Econo line van from He sends me out with like a lot of these guys that worked for Ronnie back in those days had felonies and couldn't drive, So you guys had to drive because they had too many DUIs to drive. Well, one day we're with a guy. It was me, a dude named Scott and a dude named Bill Dutch. And all I know is he just started working for Ronnie. Okay, he just is a brand new employee. All I know is his name's Bill. Okay. All day everybody calls him Bill. This dude Scott's driving Scott's get Because Scott gets pulled over for speeding. Cop comes up. The cops can just smell a fish. He has a turn to Bill Dutcher and something just speaks to this cop. He says, what's your name? And all of a sudden he's like Randy or some shit, you know what I mean. And I'm like, wait a minute, cause all day you've been Bill Dutcher, you know. So he's like Randy, and then he goes, let me see her idea. He just knows, he knows, and he's like, I left it at home. So the cops like okay, and he goes back to his cop car, you know, and we're sitting there and then it's never good and all sudden like he goes another cop car, cop car in front of our cop in front of our car, and they get out and tear I mean they tear our work truck apart, my toolbox. They went through my toolbox. I had a bottle of ibuprofen in my toolbox. They went through the bottle of ibuprofene. Find Bill Dodgers driver. Find Bill Dutcher's driver's license. Well, what did he do which he didn't have?
Speaker 2: What was up with this dude? Why why was he so famous? They hauled him away and you never found you never heard anything else about it.
Speaker 1: I don't remember what his problem was. He had a warrant. I don't know. It was just like he was a short lived He had a short lived tenure. That was his day.
Speaker 2: You got any good speed tickets, Chase, I honestly don't. Are you lead foot off the track or just.
Speaker 1: He doesn't drive, He doesn't drive a road car run.
Speaker 2: I don't know that surprised me. No, somebody's phones ring, that's mine. That's pretty normal, Sam Bates.
Speaker 1: We're just with her.
Speaker 2: She knows we're recording the show.
Speaker 1: Does care?
Speaker 2: Sam uh No?
Speaker 1: Last ticket.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll be honest, I've gotten a couple of warnings. I've gotten off on a couple of tickets, for sure.
Speaker 1: Did you tell them what I'm a race car driver.
Speaker 2: No, that's the worst thing you can do.
Speaker 1: Because I think he'd be like, well, you certainly know what you're doing.
Speaker 2: I'm exactly But unless.
Speaker 4: It's like gosh, I just can't break the habit, you know, like.
Speaker 2: I don't think that flies. No, I think I think that immediately comes off as you're a smart ass and you're either going to jail or instead of taking your ticket down, we're gonna take it or take it up. That does not work. But yeah, no, it's been a bit. It's been a bit, and I'm a slow driver on the roads, I really am, except.
Speaker 5: Leaving the race track. The race track, when you leave it's a race to the airport.
Speaker 1: Oh can you introduce yourself with Yeah, I'm Jordan.
Speaker 5: I work with Chase travel on the weekends to some races, so he's a mad man.
Speaker 1: Leaving the race tracks, you just want to get out of there and to hurry.
Speaker 2: Well, five minutes can go a long way. And y'all think I'm crazy about this, But it really can. So like, you know, the races gets over and people are leaving, and you know, obviously you want to try to beat the traffic. So like if you mess around there for five minutes, it could be the difference in an hour. Oh yeah, see what I mean makes sense. So five minutes can be the difference in you know, an hour plus. So yeah, I'm in a slight rush.
Speaker 1: Ready for all your credentials, sure, Elliot. Chase Elliott won the twenty fourteen NASCAR Nationwide Series Championship, becoming the first rookie and the youngest driver twin a National Series champamionship in NASCAR history. You were driving race cars before you get a driver's license. I was Did it feel weird to go get a driver's license?
Speaker 2: Mmmmm No, I don't think it felt weird. It probably felt weird racing without like racing older like guys that were older than me and me not having a driver's license. You know that that was kind of a strange. Like a few years I would say.
Speaker 1: What was it observed commonly that you didn't have a driver's license?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. It was definitely a hot topic. But there were other kids out there that were under sixteen that race too, So I wouldn't say it was uncommon, but it was definitely talked about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chase Elliott won the twenty twenty five season opening exhibition race at Bowman Gray Mark.
Speaker 2: This is for twenty twenty five, twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Yeahs it says, oh, well, okay, I just said the year he did, oh did?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, never mind, Sorry, I thought you left the year.
Speaker 1: Out marking his first Clash win. What the hell does that mean to Clash win?
Speaker 2: It's just a exhibition race that NASCAR holds every year. The class is always been around the sport for as long as I can remember, kind of like the All Star Race over the summer, the Clash starts the season, and that's just kind of what it's always been. It used to always be in Daytona for a long time. They would have the Clash the week before the Daytona five hundred, and now it's transitioned to some other places. But it's just the name of the race.
Speaker 1: Because that's always been a weird thing about racing, is you guys have your super Bowl at the beginning.
Speaker 2: The beginning. I feel the same way about it. Yeah, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: It's like you start out with the Super Bowl, the one that everybody knows.
Speaker 2: And then what happens after that. Yeah, yeah, I find the same problem with it for sure. I wish there was a better way to have positioned in a different spot selfishly, because it is such a big event and it's such a great event. If you've never been to the Daytona five hundred, I highly recommend you at least go see it once. It's worth seeing. But it is a I always find it. The most awkward part about it for me is answering questions about, you know, this is the super Bowl of racing.
Speaker 1: Oh so I just did an annoying thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that's okay, it's very normal, well place, you know, And that's and most and most of the time it is and it's just an awkward thing to talk about and explain because it is such a big deal. But it is totally at the beginning of our season, and it is not You're not crowning a season champion at that point, which is what the Super Bowl does, which is what you know, the World Series does, or you know whatever. So it's just a little different vibe. I guess probably more similar to say, like the Masters or like the US Open. You know, you have some like marquee events in the middle of the season that aren't necessary really crowning your season long champion, but you still become a Daytona five hundred champion if you if you win, just like you would become, you know, a Master champion or whatever. So I think it's probably more similar to that, but.
Speaker 1: Rather than chasing the final like the final top victory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just something just different, just different.
Speaker 1: Elliet is the only NASCAR Cup Series driver this season to finish all nine races in the top twenty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not a great stat that's not top twenty, that's not doing a whole bunch. But I mean it's good to finish him.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're in the top twenty. You finished all nine.
Speaker 2: I heard you. But you want to be like, man, you finished all of them in the top ten, or like.
Speaker 1: Oh I can scratch that one out. Yeah, Bill can go back and get.
Speaker 2: Rid of it. I mean, look, I'm not No, it's good. I mean it's good because you're gonna have races that you when you're not gonna like this one.
Speaker 1: Oh great, he is currently fifth in the Cup Series point standings, with two top five finishes and five top tens this season.
Speaker 4: Yep, we like that better than the other sounds good to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think yeah, I think that's a little better than the other one, but not by much.
Speaker 1: Chase Elliott has three total wins on drafting style tracks, two at Talladega and one Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Speaker 2: Like that one accurate wins are good? Okay.
Speaker 1: Chase Elliott rounded off the twenty twenty four season with one win Texas Motor Speedway. Eleven top fives in nineteen top ten finishes.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of racing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's thirty eight or thirty six points races in a year, So yeah, a lot of a lot of To put that in like a better understanding, I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Are all speedways drafting style tracks? Or what's your definition of a speedway?
Speaker 1: You're the one that used the word earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would say Talladega. Yeah, I consider speedways like Daytona and Talladega. Okay, Atlanta is kind of an outlier because they recon Atlanta is not really a speedway. It's a mile and a half where Daytona and Talladega are you know, over two miles.
Speaker 1: So it's just.
Speaker 2: They reconfigured the track and change the rules a little bit to make it a drafting style track, but I wouldn't. It is now a speedway, but it's a much smaller speedway.
Speaker 1: A speedway means you get going real speedy. Because it's long, you have longer runs.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna move this one a decimal place to make it better.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Named one of NASCAR's seven point five greatest drivers.
Speaker 2: Much better than seventy five. Thank you, thank you. I'll take it. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: One of NASCAR's seventy five greatest drivers. But you're still young, Yeah, fairly, you're young for a driver twenty nine years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm not as young as I once was, but yeah, I'm still on the younger side of the equation. Who's the youngest right now? Who is the youngest right now? Who am I thinking? Who am I missing?
Speaker 5: There's some rookies this year Husa R. I don't know how old he is, but he'll be pretty young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have to be pretty young.
Speaker 1: How old are you?
Speaker 2: Seth thirty three.
Speaker 1: Seth's gonna give you some life advice.
Speaker 2: Great, I need it. I can't. I don't. I can't right off the top of my head. But there's probably some guys in their early twenties I would say, right now.
Speaker 1: Really, O, come you want more?
Speaker 2: Not really?
Speaker 1: Oh, here's a good one. Here's a good one who wrote this?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? Who did this?
Speaker 1: Seven time consecutive winner of the NASCAR Cup Series Most Popular Driver Award?
Speaker 2: You like that one?
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty NASCAR Cup Series Champion, twenty twenty any NASCAR All Star Race winner at Bristol Motor Speedway, twenty fourteen NASCAR Exfinity Series champion. And he's the son of Hall of Fame inductee in sixteen times most popular Drivers, sixteen times more popular than you.
Speaker 2: Are, good chunk. Yeah, he's got me covered.
Speaker 1: His father, Bill Elliott. Yeah, more popular than you?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, he is to this day more popular than me.
Speaker 1: Is he a good dad though? Yeah?
Speaker 2: He's been a good dad.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't have any complaints about him?
Speaker 2: No, I can't complain much.
Speaker 1: Okay. Amazon Prime Video is sponsoring Chase. That's cool. Yeah, free videos.
Speaker 2: You know. I haven't talked to him. About that. But I would totally love to get a free Prime subscription if it's.
Speaker 1: Currently sponsor Amazon Prime and then you.
Speaker 2: Draft it still drafts off the credit card. Sure does.
Speaker 1: Like that, you know, like I bet yeah, but I would think that would you do all that and then you go to get a video on a dinghy have two ninety nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But also you know, I'm I'm proud, I'm a I'm a proud supporter of our own product. So you know what, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, that's a it's a great sir. My wife worked for many years for Amazon, did you. Yeah. Uh. He has a few races coming up, but the big, big one is the co Cola six hundred, which will live stream on Amazon Prime on May Really sure will?
Speaker 4: Is that that's.
Speaker 2: The first one? Yeah, the first one on Prime this year?
Speaker 1: So is that gonna be a pay to play on Prime or is it gonna be this open?
Speaker 2: Well, you have to have a Prime subscription.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean if it's not like an added.
Speaker 2: No, it'd be like Thursday night football for what the NFL is done the last what two seasons?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: So yeah, same thing.
Speaker 1: Krinn Uh.
Speaker 4: You could have scratched this one, no.
Speaker 1: Know, because I'm not gonna talk about what I'm not gonna talk. Krinn pulls together. People send us all kinds of stuff and Krinn takes her picks of what she thinks she's gonna put into this. We have a document. If you ever look that we're looking at a laptop.
Speaker 2: You are all looking at laptops and I'm not, so.
Speaker 1: You don't get to and we like people to feel left out.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get it.
Speaker 4: This one, this one dinged into my feet actually, so.
Speaker 1: She found and she liked it. Kriinn likes this one from Peep. She likes this hit from People magazine. It's under the Royals column. She likes it so much she included it in the in the talking points here and then tried to back out of it. Uh So, if you're if you want to get into Krin's head, here's something that Krinn sees and she's like, it's this Princess Charlotte. I didn't know that that was that kid's name. Yeah, I didn't. Princess Charlotte's tenth birthday photo had a surprising royal first thanks to Kate Middleton.
Speaker 2: I'm a little lost over here. Somebody's got to help.
Speaker 1: What part did you get lost on this? On the document?
Speaker 5: How you're going to bring this back to the conversation done?
Speaker 2: We totally left me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's all worse.
Speaker 2: Because I was worried too, and I was like, man, where is this going? Told you we went to Princess Charlotte.
Speaker 1: We we we We opened the show up. Nine out of ten times, you open the show up and you'll introduce the guest. Okay, you don't really want them to say that much. You just want them to kind of sit there and you can introduce them. Then we do like interesting things from the news, corrections, listener feedback, and then we do the guest interview perfect but because it's on video, right, so if you didn't introduce the person, people are wondering who's that person sitting there? And I don't think people like the part of the show where we do the news.
Speaker 4: I think they want to hear from the guests primarily.
Speaker 1: So you want to get you let them know there is a guest so they don't all stop listening. But then what the part that we like is the news.
Speaker 2: You force them to hang around for it.
Speaker 3: We start with do a little bit for the guests, then we do a little bit for us and then and then go back all.
Speaker 4: Right, so that we don't take twenty five minutes on this first news item. The only reason why I thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: She had a camouflage jacket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is that it's the first It's not like I follow People magazine number one. It's not like I fired news of the UK Royal Yes, thanks thanks to Apple News.
Speaker 1: She's got to fit in. Is that massioke.
Speaker 4: It's not in a American brand. I look really, really really closely, and it's a it's a it's a British brand.
Speaker 1: They really bury the lead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the news.
Speaker 1: The headline doesn't have it, the next line doesn't have it. And then because they know they don't really have much, ye, writer, they don't have much.
Speaker 4: I thought it was going to be a little bit more about how she was outdoors, clearly somewhere in the elements, wearing her camo, or that maybe it was going to be like she was on a hunting trip with the family. It wasn't that. It was that her mom is an amateur photographer and took this portrait with her iPhone.
Speaker 1: But and she's got a cameo jacket.
Speaker 4: Yes, and she's got a camo jacket moving on.
Speaker 1: That tickles Krinn.
Speaker 2: This is going to be one of the social clips, by the way. I'm just letting you.
Speaker 1: Know that tickles Krinn. I always tell my kids, as Americans, they have an obligation to dislike that royal family. You know, we had to fight a big war against those guys. Yeah, but you.
Speaker 4: Know, this young girl is celebrating the outdoors. That's something new.
Speaker 1: Is she like them for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Cao is just a little trendy right now.
Speaker 1: The simple act of having on a cameo jacket is celebrating the outdoors.
Speaker 4: No, but she's you know, it looks like she's somewhere outdoors adventuring somehow.
Speaker 1: Look who's celebrating the outdoors over here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got the count on, so I don't know if I count.
Speaker 1: A while back, I made up a saying that I talked about so much that people asked me to stop talking about it. I made up a saying A fresh set of eyes will always find more beans, and it's a it's a gardening saying. This guy's wife, he wrote in to say his brilliant wife came up with the old time saying of her own, uh, all leaves and no branches.
Speaker 2: I kind of like it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I'm not going to use that meaning an argument looks great or seemingly great, but there's no structure support to the argument.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to use it, and I bet you don't use it.
Speaker 2: I'll probably forget about it. I'm not going to use it mainly because.
Speaker 1: Interview that's a good challenge.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good challenge for sure.
Speaker 1: In a post race interview you can say, like, you know what I always say, all leaves and the branch.
Speaker 2: All branches. I have to really think about that one. But yeah, I don't. I don't think that one's coming back.
Speaker 1: A guy was hunting on Kodiak Island this past season and he got a banded. He shot a black scolder with a band on it. It's type of duck. The band was severely worn. I've heard of those bands. When you see a band. Uh, my kid's buddy at high school killed a gold nine, the banded Gold nine. You know we're talking about a band.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: One of the ways they really kind of uncovered the mysteries of migratory waterfowl is many many decades ago, they started, I don't know what year, but they started this program where they'll take a they'll put them, they'll catch fledgling birds, they'll catch ducks, and they can also use they can also catch adults using trapnets and stuff, and they'll fit them with a metal band with a number with a phone number and a number and it says like if found or if recovered or whatever, call blank number. Because picture you got a duck in Canada in the summertime and you put a band on it. It's hard to believe now, but they didn't know how they went, where they went and how they went. You didn't know like where who went where, And so they would write down where it was when they put the band on it, and then they start all these bands start flooding in from hunters getting the ducks, and they were able to put together this very detailed map of like ducks that are here go there, ducks that are here go there, which is not well understood prior to that. But when a band gets to be a certain age, it starts to wear. And Mark Pierce was telling me that I can't remember which one it is Oh, the diver ducks. For whatever reason, diver ducks bands get worn down faster than puddle duck bands, or the opposite, or.
Speaker 2: If that has anything to do with like the rocks along the coast or something.
Speaker 1: Or it could have been the opposite. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: How long does a duck live?
Speaker 1: Well, you're gonna hear one right now. Check this out. This is extraordinary though. Well, we killed a crane one time. We killed a sandhill crane and the Panhandle of Texas that everybody claimed once they realized they had a band, Like, everybody claimed to have gotten that one, and it had been banded as an adult seventeen years earlier in Fairbanks outside of Fairbanks, Alaska. So he killed this guy, kills o Scholder. He couldn't even read the band, the band was soul worn. But he sends it. He sends it into the USGS bird band Lab, and they acid etched the band and they could find they could find the number. Turns out this bird is the new longevity record for a black scolder. That's not a bit you've been wearing that old enough to drink beer. A twenty one year old wild duck.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, old enough.
Speaker 1: To drink beer.
Speaker 2: So what would average be two? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. It'd be an easy thing to find out, but no, I mean like a lot of guys. You know a lot of guys. You kill a band of duck and you know what you find out? They banned it earlier that year. Yeah, you know, twenty one years old. The previous record was fourteen jeez, you know me decoys and that that bird has been shot at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure in twenty one years shot.
Speaker 1: Uh, they don't ban a lot of those. Oh here's something interesting. This is illegal, but interesting, you.
Speaker 2: Like illegal according to your driving.
Speaker 1: So I was talking about one of the most interesting days I've ever spent was in the south southern end of the Philippines, and I spent the day at the cock fights. And guy here says, you have an open invitation to get a hold of me any you're in Kentucky. I should not read this out loud, MD.
Speaker 2: I want to name drop on this. Yeah, yeah, true.
Speaker 1: He goes on to say, I'm pleasantly surprised to hear you guys are interested in going to some cock fighting. There are tons of he goes on, there are tons of hypocrisies by public and lawmakers. They're trying to make it a felony in the state of Kentucky. It's already a felony. Elsewhere Is it legal to pile chickens and their own shit on top of each other their whole life and then drag them out and cut their heads off and throw them in a sink hole? Yep, but you can't cockfight.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 4: Game chickens are taking care of better than most people's dogs. So I guess those who uh run in these circles take really good care of those birds.
Speaker 1: The mum not sure about this one until the end. I learned that through my mung friends that there's the the older mung. Cock fighting was very popular with the older munk. But they don't put the they don't use a blade. Is that explaining this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how they attach blades to the like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, in the Philippines they put like a scythe on them. I mean they put a there's a guy. There's like a regulation dude, you know, like in boxing, was like like like the kind of you know, you wrap the hands and everything and they check it, like everything's got to be checked to make sure you're you know, you don't have like lead inserts or something in your midst. Right, there's a dude and like every guy brings his rooster in and and you lash the blades on him over his spurs, this big stainless blade. And then there's a guy that like checks to make sure everything's legit. And when these roosters it's over, like they jump up and do their initial child fight and one of them is not alive anymore because they got blades. But what they're explained about the monk is you don't put blades on them, so it's not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're more and you.
Speaker 1: Kind of judge it. You kind of judge it. And what will happen is one chicken, one rooster. Well, the minute he backs down, he loses. It's very Yeah, it's much more. It's a much more kinder, gentler cockf It's like you take, like, here's the deal. They're not incentivizing the roosters to fight. The roosters want to fight. I could see you saying that you can't put a blade on him. That makes like I could I could picture that. But if like if let's say you're you are at your you say you raise chickens, and you go in the house and then accidentally two of your roosters get in a fight. Are you a felon?
Speaker 4: I was actually just gonna ask that, what if roosters all mingle and no.
Speaker 2: But if I bring a bunch of people over and we throw some money down, then you are.
Speaker 1: Then you are.
Speaker 2: Then you're in trouble.
Speaker 1: That's what one guy that wrote in explained to me about it is. He says, what's what's the bad part about it is the beton. The bad part is the beton on what chicken's gonna win. That's all I want to clarify the people. I haven't been to a cockfight. I've never been to a cockfight in America. I'm not like Joe cockfight.
Speaker 3: When I was living in Pennsylvania, we had twenty nine chickens and the bear one night broke in the chicken coop killed twenty eight. Wow, And the only one that was left was a big old rooster. He had like three inch spurs, and I felt that he would have been a good candidate for a cockfight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only a good candidate though, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then I actually I was checking traps one day and I had one of his spurs in my trap.
Speaker 2: Almost caught him, but just got a spur.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for the part now?
Speaker 2: I don't know, am I.
Speaker 1: First off, we went fishing to day. We did, Yeah, we went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we went fishing. We didn't get any We didn't do any catching, but we.
Speaker 1: Think about that whole experience though.
Speaker 2: I thought it was awesome. I really did.
Speaker 1: You liked it?
Speaker 2: I mean minus the not catching anything, you know, but that's part of it.
Speaker 1: But it's a hard, hard time of year, yeah, with all the spring runoff.
Speaker 2: But it was and we talked about it some on the way up there. But just uh being out there, I mean just you guys have such a pure place to live and film and do. And I mean just the hike up and back was worth the trip in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is beautiful. It's frust to not catch them.
Speaker 2: It is frustrating.
Speaker 1: And then you know, and you're in my situation, you got to resist the urge to be like, we caught one right there. We caught one right there.
Speaker 2: When the cameras were uh two miles back.
Speaker 1: We caught one right there, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was okay, though, I mean, I in fairness, you did put me on one that I missed, and that was on me.
Speaker 1: Those on you he had it engulfed.
Speaker 2: That was on me. Fly that was late.
Speaker 1: It was your fish to catch it was.
Speaker 2: That's all right. I learned my lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. Though. We talked about he started driving super young. M hm uh. And I was asking you earlier maybe you can explain it. I was saying, if you're gonna ask little kids what they want to be when they grow up, being a race car drivers, like in top five, it's like you could be like a veterinarian. They know about that, astronauts they know about they know about being a race car driver.
Speaker 2: I know it's just kind of odd but true. Yeah, totally right about that.
Speaker 1: But at a point you at a point it looked realistic. Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean honestly, and I don't know how much of that you want me to rego over talk about. Yeah, for me, I mean, I I never, I truthfully never wanted to do anything else. I mean, it was always it was always my dream, and I grew up around it. My dad raced. You know, so much like your kids are living the outdoors and getting to do things that a lot of kids might not be able to do across the country I was racing. Was that way for me, I got to see it from a completely different advantage point. And you know, for me, my dad was he was a part of the show on a weekly basis, and it was just the most incredible, crazy thing to witness and watch as a five six seven year old when you're just kind of getting old enough to start understanding or partially start to understand what's going on. And it was amazing, And so of course I wanted to try. I wanted to do that, you know, and give it a shot. And uh yeah, so we started racing go karts and then started taking the necessary steps and in the process of trying to make a path out of it, and yeah, off we went and fortunately had enough right opportunities and success at the right time, and all those stars kind of aligned to you know, at least make a career out of it. This far?
Speaker 1: Were you drawn to it because like the way kids are kind of focused on their dads, because at a point that has to go away, right, Like, well, you know, when you're little, you know about your dad and you see what he does, You're like, well, I want to do that because I like my dad, but at a point, not that you stop liking your dad, but you know, you're you're, you're in, your inputs become more complicated than that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, totally fair question and and true because yeah, I think there comes a point in time where you at some point have to have some natural interests and you have to become you have to have your own obsession with it, right, or it's just never gonna it's never gonna work. And that definitely happened. I don't know at what age that happened, Probably when things got you know, we're starting to get more serious for me racing, I would say probably ten eleven twelve. That probably transitioned from hey, I want to go do this because Dad was doing it and it was really cool too. Wow, this is an extremely difficult and rare discipline that I really respect and admire. And that was really where I think the love for it for me exploded, because I realized there was just so much more to the puzzle than meets the eye, and also that way more than I think people ever give it credit for, and just the craft and everything that goes on behind the scenes, and I fell in love with that, and that's really the reason that you know, I enjoy it still to this day, you.
Speaker 1: Know, when I look at it, like when we're talking today and you're talking about like you said, like use the word the craft of it right, and the processing processing information very quickly, learning how to try to slow things that seem very fast, short distances that are covered very quickly, to slow it down and understand it like how you do understand a long drive. Yep, all that as like a person not from that world. When I look at it, I think that the number one, like the number one thing going on is that I think these people are very comfortable with death. And I'm like, that must be what makes a good racer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it's not.
Speaker 1: It's where you have to be like no, I don't mind, I don't mind, be right, going two hundred miles an hour, six inches off this dude's bumper or whatever. Like that's like to me, like the defining feature is you're comfortable with that.
Speaker 2: I think there is definitely a level of acceptance to the risk for all of us, and there are certainly tracks that carry higher risk than other tracks as it pertains to crashes and injury and just the amount of things that can go wrong, But you know, to your point, you're going pretty fast on a weekly basis at most places that we go, and things can happen anywhere. So yeah, I definitely think there's a level of acceptance with that. But I would say I could speak for probably all of us in the sense that we don't get there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like I explained to you coming over here. You know, if you're driving eighty through downtown Bozman, you're gonna think you're hauling ass. If you're driving eighty on the highway, everyone else is doing eighty, so it's not that big of a deal that way. So it's very much the same for us. I can say there's really no thrill anymore about going two hundred. It's not have a heart attack and die, but you wouldn't after you might the first time, but in a month you'd be. It would your your surroundings would become very much more normal to you, and and that's totally what happens. So then it's like, so, so the thrill factor of it goes away after time, and and then you start focusing in on more of like the small, little fine details of how can I push the car a little further, you know, it becomes such a it becomes so much more competition based than it does that. It's it's way more centered around that than it is like, oh wow, you know, just holding on for dear life, going two hundred miles an hour and this is cool and crazy and wow, look at us. It's not that's that's just not the mindset. It's it's so much more competition related. And the details that can make someone great versus someone that's good are the most minuscule things that you could ever. I can't even hardly sit here and describe them to you because a lot of it's just tiny little feel things in the car that you're feeling with your butt or with your hands, or what you're seeing with your eyes, and and that kind of comes back to the processing things. You know, as as quick as things are happening, the slower you can process that stuff, I think, the better it makes a driver.
Speaker 1: You had said something to me that I thought about a bunch since you told me this morning. We're I was talking about what is the what is the entry point for kids coming in? And you talked about like goal cart racing, dirt track racing, and you said, what matters more? What matters more than like what it is is is it competitive?
Speaker 2: Yeah? True?
Speaker 1: And I started thinking about that because that has like I feel that just things from my life, like I went to writing school, and I went to like a very competitive writing program with like really good writers, and you like there's such like a sink or swim kind of thing about it, you know, and and even like guys that become guys that become like really good versatile hunters, like people you could bring anywhere, like bring them anywhere and they're going to figure stuff out. A lot of them coming out of competitive app like you got to like work harder, get up earlier, walk farther out, smart outthink. I mean, like you have to like learn to deal and then that makes it that you develop your expertise. But I don't think people think about it like, no, you got to look for the.
Speaker 2: Competition percent That's my opinion, and someone else might tell you something different, But I think that, you know, when you asked the question, it's well, how do you start? You know, like if if your kids are interested in, like what would you go do? And that varies because in some parts of the country asphalt racing might be really strong and healthy and popular. And if it's strong and healthy and popular, odds are it's going to be more competitive. Are there other types of racing you could go do. Yeah, probably so, But if it's not as healthy and popular, then you're probably not getting the same level of competition. So I think it is very much tailored to where you live, where you're from, what part of the country you live in, and what is going to challenge you the most, because if you're not, if you're not challenged, you're you know, at some point that's gonna that's gonna beat you up, you know, And racing is one of those things where you when you get started, you know, a family could probably win their way with spending the most money to a point, but at some point that that's going to end. Right, at some point you're going to meet somebody that's as good as you, if not better, with the same equipment, and then how do you deal with that? And and I think that's a you know, that's an important piece of of racing because it's you know, at some point down the line that that challenge is is going to grow near and and I think understanding how to how to deal with that, you know, to your point kind of that that mindset is is going to help you.
Speaker 1: One day, I'd heard this story through my kids about a kid that like a buddy of there's that was like a dominating force in Bozeman baseball, which is not this is not a baseball town, you know, So like you're dominating force in Bozeman baseball.
Speaker 2: Like in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but then he goes down to Florida and then how yeah, and you're like, oh, I had no idea. Yeah, I mean saying like I had no idea, dude, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I'm talking about, Like that exactly. That's a great example and I'll probably use that one day because that's, uh, that's a great way to put it. And and totally this along the exact same lines I was talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're saying that maybe kind of rethink some of that stuff, be like, well, yeah, why do all these like you know, like Texas cranks out, you know, great football, you know, Florida craiks, all these great baseball players and like is it like the water you know, and why is it being well, yeah, it's like you're saying, it's like you've You've created a place where people have to dig deeper and deeper and deeper to stay on top, and you can't just ease on top.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and you can do it all year long down there.
Speaker 1: There's Yeah, that's a big part too. We talk about that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that, that's a fact for that, that's totally a factory. You know, out here for sure for the at least for baseball and you know, golf, if you're into that, out here be a struggle to play for two months?
Speaker 1: Do you think are you just is it like more about competition or is it more about cars? Like if you didn't if you didn't race, would you be would you do you feel that you would have found some other thing to compete in.
Speaker 2: I could see it, for sure. I don't know what that would be. But I just I love sports just in general. I'm just a huge sports fan. I love watching I'm not going to sit here and tell you I know everything about every other sport, but I certainly appreciate the discipline of other sports, and you know, some of the greatness and the greats that that play it or are part of it. So having said that I could see it, I don't know what it would have been. I wasn't super good at anything else, but I also didn't you know, in fairness, I never really devoted a lot of time to any other sport, but I could have certainly seen me trying, you know, if.
Speaker 1: Nothing else, competition trout, fishermen.
Speaker 2: Maybe that, maybe that.
Speaker 1: Are you good at golf? You play golf?
Speaker 2: Get check out those brook trout You talk?
Speaker 1: Yes, are you like, could you go pro at golf?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely not?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: What was it like when you so you go through all the what don't I don't know? I was going to ask you, you go through all the steps that all of a sudden you're like, you know, your first NASCAR race? What are the steps? Help me understand? Like what is like the thing you got? You know, it's like t like like t ball, little league, you know, like where does it go?
Speaker 2: Well, kind of goes back to where you live and how you start. But for me, it was when I first got into racing, you know, which was kind of those early days of I want to do this because Dad was doing it right. Uh. At that point it was we were living in Georgia and there were some small dirt go kart tracks around North Georgia, just within you know, hour and a half two hours of the house, and we went and you know, race some go kart races on the weekends, like good go karts. Yeah, like fast, you know, fairly fast or of six or well, I guess I was probably closer to eight, but seven or eight year old, so like within reason, we're not doing anything crazy, but you know, it was it was competitive for sure, and also really popular at that time in that area, which was a good thing, you know, kind of going back to our previous point. And so yeah, from the go karts at that time, Dad was just quitting racing full time. So we moved out to Colorado and we were out there for two or three years, and I wanted to race, and really the only thing out there to race was go karts but asphalt and road courses.
Speaker 1: So did that.
Speaker 2: For you know, two or three years while we were living out there, and really kind of came to a crossroads. I guess I was kind of the reason why we moved back because I at that point thought I wanted to keep racing and trying to race, and there really just wasn't anything else to race out West, or at least out in that area that was close, and you know you're gonna end up traveling a long ways to do it, and didn't really have the facilities to do it and shot, you know, a good race shop and things like that. So we ended up moving back to Georgia to kind of help me pursue the racing thing.
Speaker 1: And so your old man got out of it and moved out west and then all of a sudden, you're like, well, I want a piece of it too, and then he packs up, everybody moves back.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I ruined it for him. So sorry, sorry about his retirement trail, but I definitely ruined that one. But yeah, so we moved back to Georgia, and that was really at that point. I think that was kind of when it started to transition from hobby fun, weekend endeavor to hey, we're either going to get kind of serious about this and not that you can't go have fun, because it was you know, still having fun is important, but it was, hey, we need to have an understanding like this is you know, getting more expensive, and there's a lot going on and and.
Speaker 1: So you're spending money before you make money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I can imagine, dude. Yeah, And that's part of it, you know, for sure, And that's the case for anyone in motorsports, unfortunately, and it's just to what level can you support that, you know, whether people support that personally or you know, for us, it was a little bit of a mix from you know, dad having a good career obviously and being able to help. But then we had good partners too, they kind of help offset some of that. But even for us, there was a point and my dad was really clear on this to me at a young age. He's like, hey, you know, I can we can keep doing this like we're doing it, but it's not forever. You know, I'm not gonna do this forever. Either We're going to get to a point and somebody's gonna have to help or this is it, you know. And and I understood that, you know, and and so at that point, and probably a little before that conversation, I knew that and really started to try my best to take things as serious as I could and you know, still enjoy it, but but just I knew in the back of my mind, like, hey, this is no longer a game, you know, not that it ever was, but but it's really not a game. Anymore. And if I'm going to make an effort at this, I'm going to give it everything I have and I'm going to make sure that you know, I appreciate everything that all the people that are helping me do this right now, you know, given my all and and you know, try to make a proper run at it. And so that's what we did. You know, unfortunately it you know, it worked out.
Speaker 1: So when when is it that you go and uh, like there's thirty eight races year, thirty four, thirty eight, thirty eight. Yeah, okay, what was the first time you are.
Speaker 2: In like in NASCAR?
Speaker 1: NASCAR?
Speaker 2: So my first Cup race was in uh twenty sixteen. No, I'm sorry, my first Cup race was in fifteen and I ran like five that year. So NASCAR had a thing I was racing nationwide, like you talked about on the thing that changed to what's now called the Infinity Series. It's like the basically college level college football to NFL, I guess would be the best way to put it. So I did that full time in twenty fourteen and twenty fifteen. At the time, NASCAR had a rule that you could run up to like five or six races before your rookie campaign that didn't like take away your rookie status. So it was almost like a lead in to your rookie year. So in twenty mentor program, which I needed and probably still need today, but nonetheless, we you know, went in and at that time it had been announced that Jeff Gordon was retiring, and you know, I was going in that car the next year. I knew who my crew was going to be and all that. So basically my crew chief, who is still my crew chief now, He and Jeff and Rick and I don't remember who else, but kind of got together and picked five races that they felt like was going to be the best five for me to go do. So those are my first Cup starts in twenty fifteen, and they were some they were some good ones, for sure. They were tough races and they picked those for a reason because they knew that they were going to be challenges the next year and the next year and the year after that, and so you know, that was my first one. It was at Martinsville in twenty fifteen, and yeah, it didn't go well, but we went and made the show and got it kicked off.
Speaker 1: We had this former NFL player Derek Wolf, and he was mentioned something that I had me before about coming up in the league, as you're coming up as a rookie and you're young, and he's like, an, all of a sudden, you're on the field and it's like you're on the field with guys you've been watching weird for ten years. And he said there's actually like a starstruck element to it for some people where you'd be like, oh my god, there's Tom Brady right and you're supposed to tackle him or whatever. And he says, you're kind of like overwhelmed by You got to put it out of your head. But all of a sudden, you're like with the people that motivated you and inspired you to get in there. Yep, you know it's gotta be a little bit like that.
Speaker 2: It was, yeah, very much that way.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh my god, there's that one dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I was. I mean, you know Tony Stewart, who I was, you know, a big fan of and a guy that I looked up to. He was racing, he was still full time at that point. You know, Jimmy Johnson, Casey Kane, like all that those guys were in the show that weekend, and uh yeah, I mean, I'm sure everybody's been through that that's grown up watching a sport, that has ever had the opportunity to go and play a race or be a part of it. And yeah, there's a transitional point of kind of just being in awe of being there, to trying to earn your place, to establishing you know, your position is as being a competitor to those guys and not their friends or not their fans, you know anymore. And not that you can't like a guy or still be a fan of theirs, but you're in there. You know, you're in there, and it's a you know, it's definitely a competitive environment, and at some point that you know, that totally changes.
Speaker 1: Uh talk about whole something. Another thing that had never occurred to me before. How blazing hot it isn't there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a little, a little toasty for sure.
Speaker 1: Definitely one of the main problems.
Speaker 2: It is, it is. I don't know how hot it gets anymore, I don't, I don't. I can't remember what a good number is. Probably one hundred and fifteen twenty or something in the cars that sound right ish when they have like a thermometer, But yeah, hot, nonetheless, and that's what we were talking about. You know, so much of what we do, I think is kind of hard to train for because what other activity do you do that you know, the environment's really hot, you have an extremely high heart rate, but you don't have a lot of physical movement, you know, and that's just that those are three things that are kind of hard to piece together. But I do think from a cardio standpoint, that's probably you know, the biggest one that can help hydration, I would say is another one. And then ultimately I think those two things combined together is kind of your ultimate goal. And all of it is just heart rate control and you know, trying to keep your heart rate down.
Speaker 1: What do you do to do it? Because that's like a big Like you talk to a competitive spear fishermen, free divers, they got all these they got all these tricks and methods for it. But a lot of times you're just laying on the surface of the water and you don't need to be doing anything else.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Like all you're doing is getting your heart rate under control and focusing on your breathing. You can close your eyes if you want, and you're in You're buoyant at surface. So it's like you're doing all these tricks, but that's all. You're not doing anything else. You're not moving two hundred miles an hour. Right, Yeah, So like, how do like do you actually keep your heart rate under control, meaning through methodology or does it just mean that you just hope your heart you just hope your heart rate stays normal.
Speaker 2: Ah. I mean, I think it's probably more of a mental gain than it is anything and so much of you know, another thing that I think makes a guy good versus great is the ones who can be most comfortable in the uncomfortable parts of the racetrack or parts of a corner. There's always a you know, anywhere you go any racetrack on any given weekend, there's going to be a part of a racetrack that is the most uncomfortable place like that that that is going to be a thing regardless of where you're at and what you're doing. And typically the guys that are least bothered by that are going to excel, you know, the most. And you know, I think having your heart rate or control and being comfortable in whatever that environment or that challenge is that weekend is just setting yourself, you know, setting yourself up better for success because you know you're comfortable in those positions, and I think that makes a big difference. What about the track that makes it uncomfortable? What about it? Yeah, like you said, there's like a portion, there's typically a portion.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: I would say, generally speaking, most of the time it's on corner entry. You know, corner entry typically is the most uncomfortable part of the track because you're going the fastest as you're going to go at the end of the straight way, and typically you go through a transitional point on track where you go from a flat surface to a bank surface. But you've got to get there and you've got to start your turn, you know, somewhere and all that. So you know, you trying to push the limits of the tires, whether you know you're right front tire, the right rear tire, whatever limitation you're trying to push up to the edge of U is going to be exposed the most in that spot just because of the lack of banking and the speed you're carrying at that point.
Speaker 5: Gotcha, do you think that relates to hunting as far as like being comfortable in the uncomfortable as far as when you're out way out in the back country, are you comfortable in that environment or is it trying to adjust to No.
Speaker 1: That's I think that's in some situations that's huge. But there's also it takes a ton of funy because if you talk to guys that I mean, this isn't me. You talk to guys that are really into uh bowhunting white tails, and they'll go in November and they'll sit strapped to a tree from the time it gets well thirty forty minutes before it gets light out to the time it gets dark. Right, it's maddening. It's maddening. It's not like uncomfortable like you imagine, like climbing up a never ending hill is uncomfortable, but it's like not, you have to be extremely dedicated to do that. Yeah, it's there's a mental game, right, it's just like you're just stuck.
Speaker 2: What if you're like taking a piss, Taking a piss.
Speaker 1: Is hard, it's hard to eat, and like it's it's not hard like yeah, it's not like you're doing a bunch of bench presses, but it's hard, Like it's just mentally, there's there's so many things like that where you guys get into something and it just or another one be people that are really like disciplined about duck hunting, you know, And it sounds crazy, but it's like you're up at three in the morning and you're up at three in the morning. You're up at three in the morning, you're up with three in the morning. Like anyone with any obsession pushes it to where it gets where it pushes it to where it's it's kind of like lunacy, and just like they push it to where it becomes just uncomfortable, you know. And then there's all the other stuff like cold and all that. But yeah, people do things. We do this, We do this moose hunt, which is almost like like mentally physically you're not doing anything, but to sit in the same spot for ten days, that'd be tough.
Speaker 2: That's hoping tough, and see see pretty much nothing.
Speaker 1: Some days you see like you sit there, you go down. It's a twelve hour, thirteen hour sit in some days in twelve thirteen hours you don't see any four legged animals and you you every twenty thirty minutes you call make a moose noise, and you're like, yeah, man, on day nine, day ten, maybe one's gonna come out of that, one's gonna come out of the woods. So being like, is it really that hard to sit? Yeah, dude, it is.
Speaker 2: But I like along the same lines, like if you're tracking down a bear, like and I guess, is there any point and maybe this is where you were going with it, but like whether it be concern of coming up on another animal or if you're trying to intercept the path that an animal is going on, you know, like a calmness or a sense of I don't know, like any discomfort in doing that that would be important of trying to mentally stay locked in through or.
Speaker 1: I think that the guys that are really good, Well, there's one thing that relates more to the my initial interpretation of like comfortable being uncomfortable is is just putting one foot in front of the other. That we walked a couple miles a day, right, Like we'll picture that you walked five times further, six times further. Like there's a point at which like just one foot in front of the other. There's some things where that becomes very hard, and it really makes it that there's certain kinds of activities, there's certain kind of hunts that most people and I mean, like, like most people, the vast majority of people, even the ones that that that, like, the vast majority of people that would want to cannot physically do that. Right. Most people look at like like going on a mountain goat hount or going on a doll sheep hount or whatever. Like most people and most of the people that would want to do that can't do that. It's just physically too demanding. There is a thing with guys that are really good is yeah, just not being excitable. And and there's like there's a huge there's a huge safety element. Like I can't stand when people I can't stand being around people that are excitable when something happens, Like there's water coming into the boat.
Speaker 2: Right, obviously there's water in the boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I would prefer it to be hey, there's water coming into the boat like like but like the flippy hoity, like I hate when people like people that are That's one of the things I tell my kids all the time is I'm just like pounding in like just don't don't be excitable. Just calm down, slow down, think about it. When something happens the other day I left a handtowel on the burner that caught on fire. My daughter like freaked out for a second, and I put it out and then she said I she was bummed. She's like, I should just put it out. I'm like, yeah, it's cool. I'm glad you recognize that you can start doing that at home. You should just calmly. You should have calmly put it out. But she recognized it. And that's not like, that's not specific to that's not even a specific to like hunting, fishing. It's specific to outdoor. And I'm sure there's other versions too, like military versions, fire stuff whatever. But like you find it with about mountaineers earlier, you know, like like guys that get into the crazy stuff with mountains, rock climbers, whatever, Like they get a uh, they just get very unexcitable and very chill. And I think that if you do a lot of outdoor pursuits where you're in situations like we spend a lot of time in big water in small boats, you know, and it's like it breeds, it breeds in you, like just just being calm. You know. Pilots have like a picture if you had a panicky pilot, you know.
Speaker 2: One like that.
Speaker 1: No, you listen to those. You listen to those like the recordings, black box recordings. The guys that are going down, they're not screaming, and you know what I mean a lot of them to the very end are calmly talking about the problem.
Speaker 2: Trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like that dude's gonna die and he knows it, but still he's like, we're gonna check this, we're checking out shot on this, trying to you know, like, I don't know where you get that from. I think that you. I do know where you get it from. Uh, there's probably people that are born with it, and then there's probably there and there's people that develop it.
Speaker 2: And I mean you're teaching your kids that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Currently, So I can't stand hanging out with excitable.
Speaker 2: People's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: In any way, Like I hate it like that kind of like, oh my god, I might just stop doing it.
Speaker 2: Chill.
Speaker 1: It's a bear, you know, Hey, there's a bear over he does a bear? Come perfect, We're gonna have to deal with him in a minute.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 1: I heard a rumor that these days that these days it's ninety percent the car oh man, not this ten percent the driver. The driver is an afterthought.
Speaker 2: They're probably right.
Speaker 1: Do you think about that?
Speaker 2: They're probably right.
Speaker 1: I said, it's it's a.
Speaker 2: Car backing up. No, I don't think that.
Speaker 5: I don't think that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: What's what's the difference between like Chevy Ford Toyota Just the motor.
Speaker 2: The motor and and the bodies are a little different, a little different, all very close now for the simple reason that NASCAR creates the box of which you have to live in, and you, you know, so if there's a certain number of whatever it is that you have to get to, you might add up a little differently to get there, but you kind of end up in the same place. So like, for instance, maybe the best example I can give is like some engine, you know, So if it's Chevy versus a four word, you know, a Chevy in the power curve, they might both make you know, whatever the number is six hundred and seventy horse power or whatever they have us restricted to now, but they might make a their power curve or torque numbers might be different at seventy five hundred versus eighty nine hundred. So you see what I mean, you kind of end up in the same place, but you might have a little bit of a different makeup to get you there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was surprised that when you get in there, it's not like you have like a car.
Speaker 2: No, that is an extreme, very popular misconception.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I pictures you've got like a car. You got like a mechanic that has a lot of secret tricks that no one else knows.
Speaker 2: Not as much anymore. But no, you don't have one car. You have I think there's like seven I think seven center sections are assigned to a car number a year, and then you can kind of divide those up how you want to and where you want to race them, depending upon you know, like you might have a different you might have your body configured a little different for a speedway versus where you know that would be a place that you would want to just have as much drag off the car as you can get it, just to go as fast and as straight line as possible. Whereas if we go to say Kansas this weekend, and we want to have more downforce on our car because we want it to handle better. Well with downforce comes track, So you might have that car configured a little differently from aero perspective for Kansas versus Daytona. So you have these different car builds that you would take to different racetracks, and generally speaking, we don't take the same car to the track two weeks in a row unless we just really like a car and we ran really good with it, and then they might turn around and go again. But otherwise it's going to get a week off or two weeks off, and they'll go and kind of remissage everything and you put it back together. Do you run a motor once three times three times? Ye, and then it's done? Or do you rebuild it? Or they'll rebuild it. I don't know exactly three races out of a motor. Three races out of a motor, yeah, which is more than it's ever been. Hell used to They they would have a Friday practice motor, a qualifying motor, a Saturday practice motor, and a race motor on Sunday and they rebuild all of them for the next week. Geez, man, are you serious, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I don't want to pry, but he's going to. Yeah. Well, no, it doesn't need to be it doesn't need to be personal. Okay, explain the economics of U explain the economics of being a driver? Yeah, because it's not like you got to go buy all the car that's your team. Yeah, what are the economics of a driver? Just pick some random ass driver his economics.
Speaker 2: I don't know. The best way I can describe it to you is basically, all drivers are private contractors to whatever race team they work for. So if I work for I work for Hendrick Motorsports. So I'm basically a contractor of Hendrick Motorsports. You know, I work for them. Rick is my boss and he pays me.
Speaker 1: You're a contractor, so you don't get like health insurance and stuff through them. You're a freelance dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're in charge of all that now, your contract You know, you're not just a freelance dude. You know, I'm very much employed by HMS. But you are responsible for all the things you're talking about, whether like health insurance and a sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Is it hard to get insurance?
Speaker 2: Not? Not really. No, I would say.
Speaker 1: There's a market like do you skydive or whatever? Do you like race? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well there are a lot of race car drivers, right and you know, around the world in different forms of motorsports. So there are companies out there that kind of specialize in that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you sign a contract and how many years is a normal contract.
Speaker 2: Anywhere from probably.
Speaker 1: Two to five, and then there's like some kind of base component all winnings.
Speaker 2: Uh no, they're they're well, it depends, and this is where it could be different for whoever. Some guys could have. You could have a base number. Some guys could have could be totally percentage based on on the you know, how the races go in the purse of of any given race weekend, or you could even have a hybrid. You could have a little bit of both. And I don't think anybody's is really one and the same.
Speaker 1: Got it. But then when you win, like your name's attached to it, but the team wins. Yeah, like when when they write the big winners check, they don't write the winners check to the driver.
Speaker 2: That's correct. Yeah, so the winners check would go to the team because you know they're fielding the car. It's their car, and you know it's their team, right, so they the teams get paid, you know, for from the purse from NASCAR for whatever the you know, the purses or the winnings that we can.
Speaker 1: And will you spend your whole career at one team or not? You most guys spend their whole career at one team.
Speaker 2: I would say it's not super common to to do that. I mean, I've seen a lot of people, you know, jump around over the years, even guys that you wouldn't have expected to jump around and do something different. Me personally, I would love to spend my career with one team. I've been been at it with him for ten years now, so I hope I don't have to, you know, go anywhere else or do anything else for sure.
Speaker 1: And now you guys are like when you retire, you might retire at forty definitely by fifty.
Speaker 2: Right, I would hope, And then you just kick it.
Speaker 1: You just fish.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it depends. It depends on the guy, right, Like, I don't know that I could. I don't know that I could fish every day, Like I think I would probably still want something to do, like some sort of challenge.
Speaker 1: Or turkey hunt or that. But you know what I mean, I do, but I don't I could sew happily like I could so happily just screw around all day every day and maybe if I could pull my kids out of school, if they didn't have to go to school, I would very very happily every day just screw around the how old are you fifty one?
Speaker 2: I see, I'm not there yet. I don't know. Yeah, maybe maybe I.
Speaker 1: Could have very happily just screwed around all the time. And maybe so Yeah to me, man, I picture like if I could somehow if they didn't have like laws about kids going to school, and then stut the deal with my wife too, because she likes them to be in school. But I imagine that you'd like your kids wouldn't be in school and you would just hunt and.
Speaker 2: Fish, I mean, and that could work well.
Speaker 1: Me run into financial issues and stuff, you.
Speaker 2: Know, as long as you can, as long as you can sponsor it, it could work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe I'm wrong. My wife's not working for a while right now, and she's kind of feeling the itch.
Speaker 2: He wants to work.
Speaker 1: She wonders about it. She worked her whole life. She just only took a little break.
Speaker 2: She's taking a little break, we'll tell her.
Speaker 1: And during her break, she's kind of like weighing this whole thing out, like do you really like what do you do you know it's.
Speaker 2: Nice she's getting bored.
Speaker 1: No, she just is.
Speaker 2: She's considering what exactly what you're saying, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is this you know, do you get comfortable in this? Do you then go and do a new thing. She's just trying to figure out what it feels like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if she turkey hunted and fished, it'd be probably different.
Speaker 1: See that's her problem, dude. Yeah, she like, that's a problem. She likes a lot of stupid stuff. I was like, if you didn't like, I tell her if the things you didn't like, the things you like are so stupid, that's why you're having this struggle. If I was in your situation, I'd be stuff and I'd be quite happy and brave. So anything else you want to ask about share about.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, not unless you, I don't know, have anything else you want to cover.
Speaker 1: No, hanging out with you has totally changed my like my reception of uh of watching that activity.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, I mean I think about.
Speaker 1: Look at all those people with it death wish.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I mean I think there's a lot that is probably misunderstood about you know, what we do and yeah, just so much about the discipline that is never conveyed and it's really hard to understand. And I totally get that. And because, like we were talking earlier, you can't go to the sporting good store and buy a race car, you know, and that's so because of that, it's a hard thing to explain. And it kind of is a niche sport. You you really have to dive into it and be willing to learn about it, you know, in order to get the full appreciation for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not going to stumble into it, right, Yeah. One last thing I do I keep coming around to the to the the hazards of it. What percent of like roughly what percent of of racers have like a career ending injury or their career ends because of injury or their career ends because of of of a fatality? Is it significant?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously as time has gone on, I would say in all forms of motorsports, the percentage of both of those has decreased quite a lot over the years, but still not impossible for sure. Most recently, Kurt Busch, I would say, was a guy that am I thinking, right, Yeah, I'd have to be Kurt that had a career ending head injury, you know, that sidelined him for what he thought was going to be a brief period of time and basically never recovered. You know, from a concussion standpoint, he might be okay now, you know, but that had been you know, I think some years had passed by, so things are a lot safer, you know, today than they were fifteen years ago or something. But you know, certainly that stuff is never out of the question, you know. I think we all kind of understand the risk and kind of what's involved in what we do, and it's never impossible.
Speaker 1: How dumb were the questions I asked you compared to when you do post race.
Speaker 2: Interviews, You're they weren't dumb. I didn't think your questions were dumb, but also too like you're learning about something you don't know anything about, whereas like post race interviews, you're being asked by people who literally watch it every weekend.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I've watched you do post race interviews, and I've watched, Uh, you just you kind of keep it, you keep it tight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try to. Yeah, I try to. You know, it's yeah, it and also to so much of it depends on like how your day went, and they like to ask about conflicts on the track. Yeah, that's their favorite thing to talk about. You know, it's just conflicts because that gets some of the most views and just don't.
Speaker 1: Take the base.
Speaker 2: They like when you guys get out and fighting. They love it. Yeah, they love it, but then they want to find you for it. But they're going to advertise that they love it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know. Uh, that's funny because my daughter plays hockey and they don't you know, they're not allowed to fight yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at what age do you?
Speaker 1: I don't know what he's just they're supposed to start fighting. But I feel in my heart, I'm like, I wish she would hit that kid. You know, it breeds it, you know what I mean, because it's boys and girls mixed together. So when a boy roughser I'm always sticking in my head like I wish you'd clobber that boy.
Speaker 2: Boy. Yeah. How often do you run into conflict on the track? I mean it just depends, like you might get you might go a season where you don't have any conflicts, and then you might go a season where you have you know, two or three or something like when I say two or three, I mean like major ones. Yeah, you're gonna have minor conflicts on track, you know, throughout a year, probably a handful, you know, average on average, I would say, but it just depends like it can go. It can go either way. Gotcha.
Speaker 1: You think you'd come back and fish when it's better fishing.
Speaker 2: I really would like to.
Speaker 1: I sure owe it to you. I feel like you did good.
Speaker 2: I mean, did the best you could I thought. I mean you you put me on fish and I failed. That's on me.
Speaker 1: March cold can be real good, depending on a handful of things. Uh, Late June, July can be real good. August get a little nasty and hot. Yeah, the fall I don't fish. You don't know I don't fish. Yeah, I'm gonna get a signed because I don't fish in the fall.
Speaker 2: It's fair.
Speaker 1: Someone told me about it. They have a rule no talking about fishing during hunting season. So that's the months you gotta come back. Come back in late June.
Speaker 2: Late june's the month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll go and fish the high country.
Speaker 2: I'd love to, I really would, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I'd love to take you out and uh and and for real, you know, yeah, catching.
Speaker 2: Them more catching than fishing is always catching them.
Speaker 1: Now that you're all trained up.
Speaker 2: I'm ready to get well.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming on the show man and listen.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate everybody for having us, for taking us out today. I know you know there was some work involved in all.
Speaker 1: That, so thank you. Fun. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we appreciated it. I had fun. I know we didn't catch anything, but it was still good to get outside and enjoy what you guys have out here. So thank you.
Speaker 1: And then, uh, people hang out with are going to forever for the rest of life. Be annoyed when I talk about what really goes on with race car drivers subject matter. It's not like that. It's not like that. It's it's fun. Listen.
Speaker 2: You can tell them whatever you want.
Speaker 1: You can make up.
Speaker 2: Any story you want and go with it. You have my full permission.
Speaker 1: I spent a lot of time and spend a lot of time with those guys. I'll tell you what they're thinking. Perfect trust all right, Thanks man, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, Thank you, good luck in Kansas. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes,