Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Yew Taylor Swift, pop star, songwriter and inventor of the color red. Personally, I love Taylor Swift, A huge fan really nothing bad to say about her. But even if I had something bad to say about her, I wouldn't I wouldn't say it because Taylor Swift fans are super protective of her. They're like one of those old fashioned dads with a shotgun who doesn't want you to marry his daughter because he wants to marry her. You see, Taylor Swift has been re recording all of her old albums, which means people are re listening to all of her old songs about her famous exes and then getting mad at those ex'es all over again on her behalf. And While Taylor maybe content to address her old boyfriends with heartfelt lyrics and songs that are again, I want to stress this perfect in every way, some of her fans are a lot less subtle.
Speaker 1: This is going a little too far.
Speaker 3: While Jake Joonhall is taking incoming fire from the Swifties, another one of Taylor's exes is being bombarded with messages now.
Speaker 4: A user on Instagram sent John Mayer a direct message telling him fuck yourself, you ugly bitch. I hope you choke on something. Mayor then responded to the user, saying that he'd been getting many messages like that over the past couple of days, and asking do you really hope I die, to which the user responded, OMG, what, I don't want you to die. I'm sorry. The user apologized again and admitted they didn't really think Mayor would see the message.
Speaker 2: You see, people, This is what I hate about social media. It makes people act shittier than they actually are, which then makes us think that people are shittier than they actually are, because social media makes us forget that we're all human beings.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: We just see that little avatar and then we all talk shit to each other. But we're all human. Even celebrities are real people, all of them. I mean, I obviously except Timothy Shalamy. He's got to be cgi. No one can be that good looking. I mean, just look at that person. No, I'm craving Spice, God damn, and I know her fans are like, but he hurt her. Listen to her song. Yes, that's all you're supposed to do. Listen to the song you know, Taylor Swift writes songs to express her emotions in a way that touches other people, not to order a hit on her ex boyfriends, So death threats are not the way to go, especially with someone like John Mayer. Don't don't send him death threats.
Speaker 1: He gets them all the time.
Speaker 2: If you really want to upset him, tell him that Ed Sheeran is a better guitar player. That's gonna hit his heart. Democrats said, Hey, Republicans, I'm gonna let you finish, but we just got one of the best endorsements of all time.
Speaker 5: Taylor Swift got a huge response after announcing yesterday she's voting for Democrat Phil Brettison over Republican Marsha Blackburn in the US Senate race in Tennessee.
Speaker 6: The pop star has always made it a point of keeping silent on politics, but shocked her fans last night. Swift wrote, I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow, this this is a big deal because you realize until now Taylor Swift has stayed as far away from politics as she does from rhythm right.
Speaker 2: I know, like, don't get me wrong, don't get me wrong. I love I love Taite's music.
Speaker 4: But let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Have you seen her dancing like Taylor Swift?
Speaker 4: Taylor Swifts. Here's the thing, Taylor Swift.
Speaker 8: Taylor Swift dances like she's making fun of how white people dance.
Speaker 1: That's how she dances.
Speaker 2: And just like Kanye fired up Republicans, Taylor also seems to be having an impact. Her post apparently caused a huge surge in voter registration. So you can't deny that she has influence with voters, Yeah.
Speaker 4: She says Conn.
Speaker 2: You can't deny that Taylor Swift has that influence. This same way, you can't deny that While reputation might have lacked the momentum and sales records of nineteen eighty nine, it's still an impressive, brooding departure, portraying Taylor as a woman coming into her own and solidifying her power and range as an artist. Also, I've been told, I mean so, I've been told, and I get it.
Speaker 8: I get it.
Speaker 2: If anyone can convince young people to vote, it's the woman who somehow got young people to buy physical CDs. Because she wasn't on Spotify. I mean, like, who even owns a CD player? Like people are probably popping the distance of the toaster trying to play them.
Speaker 8: There's like and since Taylor.
Speaker 2: Has been so quiet about politics, there was actually a theory in the alt right community that was that maybe she was secretly a pro Trump conservative right, but now by endorsing Democrats, she blew that theory up, which is news that the president took surprisingly Well.
Speaker 8: You have to say it, Taylor Swift have a cheap the politics, Taylor Swift competent politics.
Speaker 9: What do you have to say? And what did she say?
Speaker 1: She said, you want people to vote the Democrats.
Speaker 8: Let's say that I like Taylor's music about twenty five percent less.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, that's that's a weird way to express displeasure. He likes her music twenty five percent less? Like, what does that even mean? Is is he now just gonna cut off twenty five percent of his Taylor merchandise?
Speaker 8: Is that what he's gonna do?
Speaker 4: Oh and by the way, I love how Trump.
Speaker 8: Turned back when you heard Taylor Srift.
Speaker 10: You see that.
Speaker 8: Like because he was leaving. He was leaving, right, And then.
Speaker 2: You have Taylor Swift and he's like what Yeah, Because normally reporters shout questions, he just keeps going that I miss the President the United Nations global warming, mister President, your policy and has been a mister president.
Speaker 8: What do you think about Taylor Swrift?
Speaker 11: He's like, what's that?
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 11: Taylor Trift?
Speaker 4: Let me Taylor Trump thing.
Speaker 8: I know all about this issue.
Speaker 2: From my briefings that I read in the United States Weekly. And look, I know right now there are conservatives there who are pro Taylor Swift and are feeling conflicted at this moment because she has endorsed the Democrats. And to them, I say, if you're a real Taylor Swift fan, you know what you gotta do.
Speaker 8: Shake it off.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Covering the news is exhilarating. You travel the country, meet interesting people and find real stories. But then one day you realize it's a freaking Tuesday in November again. Well it's election day again?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 10: It's election day again?
Speaker 1: Because it's sorry, I can't it's election day again. As a journalist, I'm honored to be covering this sacred process.
Speaker 8: Again.
Speaker 1: I feel super chill about it.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: It's election Day again, and we've got another close race on our hands, so you better start clenching those butt cheeks.
Speaker 5: Early voting is already underway in the Virginia gubernatorial race, with the latest polling showing Democratic Governor Terry mccaulliff effectively in a dead heat political riding.
Speaker 12: If Terry mccauliff doesn't pull out a win, Democrats are privately predicting a collapse on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 1: Wait, Virginia could go red. For a state that went blue by four hundred and fifty thousand votes in the last election, this was a story worth keeping down the vombit I sat down with Jeffrey Skelly from five thirty eight to help me make sense of this.
Speaker 10: Sorry about the mess elections? Am I right?
Speaker 1: Why is this race in particular so close? Isn't Virginia blue?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, Virginia has been Democratic leaning over the last few years, but President Biden is now somewhat unpopular and I think voters are responding to that, and so the electoral environment is better for Republicans. So you've got a close race in Virginia.
Speaker 10: Who do you think will actually decide this race?
Speaker 3: Voter really important because they are basically the most democratic leaning group. Well, one a little interesting thing the call He's done is run campaign ads attacking Glenn Youngkin because he was a CEO of the Carlisle Group, which was involved in the purchase of Taylor Swift's master recordings. And so they've been using this to try to get young people to pay attention to the race, because there are a lot of young people out there, you know, eighteen to thirty four year olds who really like Taylor Swift.
Speaker 12: Virginia Democrat candidate for Governor Terry mcculloff recruiting Taylor Swift fans. O'callaff reportedly linking his opponent to music executive Scooter Braun, who infamously bought Swift's master recordings.
Speaker 10: Back in twenty nineteen after.
Speaker 11: I was denied the chance to purchase my music outright, my entire catalog was sold to Scooter Braun's Epica Holdings in a deal that I'm told was funded by the Carlisle Group.
Speaker 5: One of the targeted ads reading, did you know that Republican candidate for governor Glenn Youngkin helped by Taylor Swift's masters out from under her?
Speaker 10: You gotta be shitting't me, Taylor Swift fans vote.
Speaker 3: I think that's what the call off campaign is hoping.
Speaker 1: If the Swifties are backing mccalliff, what group of fans are backing young can Chet Hanks fans chetheads.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't have any polling on on different fan groups of musical artists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a real it's a real niche Could we be underestimating the Swifties.
Speaker 3: I think I'd be careful about giving them too much weight. But there are a lot of young people who like Taylor Swift. We know that's true.
Speaker 1: Could Taylor Swift fans be the key to the Virginia race?
Speaker 10: To find out?
Speaker 1: I had to dive deep into their fandom, no matter how many of her albums I had to buy on the show's credit card.
Speaker 11: Sorry, this just happened to me without my approval or consent.
Speaker 10: Shame on him.
Speaker 5: Whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: Finally, after becoming fluent in all things Taylor, I gathered a group of her fans of Virginia. See how angry they were with candidate Youngkin.
Speaker 10: Are you all true fans? Are you true Swifties?
Speaker 1: Did you buy signed fearless albums?
Speaker 10: Taylor version? I actually do have it and I can pull it up.
Speaker 9: I also have every single Taylor record on vinyl right next to me, if we want to go that far. Yeah, the two most important dates in November is November two, which is an election day, and November twelfth, which is Red.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I'm taking off work for election, Jay, just in case the lines are too long.
Speaker 1: Are you also taking off work for Taylor's release of Red?
Speaker 9: Oh? I need to get through all the emotions of all the songs on that album.
Speaker 4: I'm taking off work and my therapist is not getting the day off.
Speaker 1: While I respect this generation, it's clear dedication to mental health. Could this new base of voters actually tip the scales in Virginia.
Speaker 9: I'm originally from Texas, and the last three years in college I voted in Texas. But I just knew that I couldn't just sit by and watch as Youngkin took Virginia. And so that's when I decided to change my voter registration.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, so you just changed your registration. This is dedication.
Speaker 6: I was in the weird college era as well, where I was kind of voting in my home state, but now I am voting in Virginia because of this.
Speaker 10: Issue they couldn't help.
Speaker 1: But pity these young girls. There are so many important issues, but all they care about is Taylor Swift's master recordings. It's not really about the masters, but I mean, just a couple of days ago, Youngin came out and said, you know, he loves everyone who.
Speaker 13: When asked if that includes LGBTQ people, he said, no.
Speaker 10: Are there other issues that you care about?
Speaker 2: Women's choose.
Speaker 9: I'm very passionate about gun violence prevention.
Speaker 6: Climate change is going to be the biggest issue of our time, so those policies are super important.
Speaker 10: I'm an environment engineer, so this is life changing.
Speaker 1: What would you say to boomers like my aunt Sheilo, who say fourteen year old girls should stay out of politics and stop stealing my sleeping pills?
Speaker 8: Deasy?
Speaker 1: I think that's such a weird stereotype of Taylor saw fans because we're not fourteen anymore.
Speaker 13: We are adults, We pay tective and we vote.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Do you want to see my thesis paper about congressional legislation because I can show you that. Don't underestimate stifties.
Speaker 1: All right, take it easy, Molly geez, I don't want any snake comments on my Insta. Yes they are fans of Taylor Swift, and yes they are in their twenties. Maybe they can make a difference in this upcoming election. No matter what happens, at least now I'll have some great music to cry too, just in time for next election Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Like cocaine and harmonies, beefs are an essential part of the music business. Think about it, Tupac versus Bigie, Dixie Chicks versus George Bush, Keith Richards versus mortality. And with so many new beefs going on in the music world right now, we figured it's about time to settle some of those scores and our brand new seg we call beefsas.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 8: Next up the artist who soundtrack you'll quarantine dam pussoff evermore Tayna Swift. She's been dropping albums almost every week, but according to the guy from that British band that wasn't Oasis, she's not putting in enough work.
Speaker 11: Let's see the beef.
Speaker 14: Looks like there is some bad blood between Taylor Swift and Blur frontman Damon Alburn. During an interview a recent interview with The Los Angeles Times, he claimed Swift doesn't write her own songs. He said writing music doesn't count if you co write, and that co writing is very different from writing well. Taylor swiftly hit back, slamming the musician on Twitter. She tweeted, I was such a big fan of yours until I saw this. I write all of my songs, my own songs. Your hot take is completely false and so damaging. You don't have to like my songs, but it's really messed up to try and discredit my writing. Alvern later responded with an apology, saying he had a conversation about songwriting that was reduced to clickbait. He said he apologizes unreservedly and unconditionally, and said the last thing he would want to do is discredit Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: Yo, that was the fastest ending beef of all time because one win of the dude was.
Speaker 8: Like, Yo, Taylor ain't shit, she doesn't write shit.
Speaker 2: And also I'm sorry, Taylor, please don't hurt me, please, And I'm not surprised he realized how wrong he was. I mean, guys, Swift is one of the most renowned lyricists of our generation. Meanwhile, Blurr's most famous lyric is whoooo and by the way. By the way, people, there's no shame in co writing, right, I'm not saying Taylor Swift does. I'm just saying there's no shame in co writing. Don't forget even God had co writers, all right, was Matthew Mark Luke, John Dey'll help with the Bible. And no one ever says God's fake. I mean except Rickie Gervaise, but he's gonna hell anyway, so it doesn't count anyway. It's no surprise who the winner of the beefs is between Taylor Swift and Damon Albaron is it's Jake Gillenhall. Yeah, you see, finally the heat is off. Now he's in the corner.
Speaker 7: Like, yeah, get that blur guy, and I keep the scarf Taylor Swift. This morning, tickets went on sale for the singer's first tour in four years, and so many fans rushed onto the ticket Master site that it immediately crashed and no one could get tickets.
Speaker 2: And yeah, ticket Master to Taylor Swift so wrong. She's already put out three albums about them. They're gonna learn their lessons.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 2: I know everyone thinks getting these tickets is the most important thing in the world. But it's really not all right, get them just relax, log off, you know, just give the site like a chance to cool down and repay itself and then you know, don't.
Speaker 4: Bother and.
Speaker 1: You just chill.
Speaker 4: All right, I got mine. You can go back on, you can go back on.
Speaker 2: You do whatever you want.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 13: Let's move on to news out of Washington, to the biggest crisis the country is facing right now.
Speaker 15: Finally there's something that Republicans and Democrats seem united on, and it's this the Taylor Swift ticket fiasco. Today on Capitol Hill, senators held a hearing to examine the lack of competition in the ticketing industry.
Speaker 13: The bipartisan hearing comes in the wake of a technology breakdown on the ticket Master website.
Speaker 10: During the pre sale for Taylor swifts upcoming tour.
Speaker 1: Super Fans known as Swifties faced hours long wait times and website crashes.
Speaker 13: They just really just.
Speaker 15: Nuggetting tickets.
Speaker 13: Shame on you, ticket Master, Look what you did to these emotional young people. Hey, you know what it's about time someone held ticket Master accountable. And the Swifties are the only ones who can get this done. They're the most politically organized group in America. Now it goes Swifties, the Teamsters, and somewhere way all the way down the list is the Democrats. You know these hearings are so popular. I bet ticket masters screwed up tickets to that too. You got kids outside crime, I'm.
Speaker 10: The city's biggest food I just wanted to see Dick Durbin.
Speaker 13: But ultimately, there's only one way to fix this problem. Get rid of online tickets. Go back to waiting online in person.
Speaker 11: Out in the pole.
Speaker 13: Many people earn that shit like we used to. You're not a real fan unless getting a ticket gave you hypothermia. Hey I almost lost two toes just to see Johnny Gill and I'll do it again, damn it.
Speaker 8: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 7: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 8: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmouth Glucks. This has been a Comedy Central podcast