Speaker 1: My name is Clay Nucomb and this is a production of the Bear Grease podcast called The bear Grease Render, where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast. Brought to you by to Covi's Boots. I'm a cowboy boot man and I've been wearing to Covis for years, the most comfortable boot I've ever put on. Good boots for good times. Welcome to the bear Grease Render. We have many distinguished guests with us today and I'm going to jump right to our number one guests in the to Covi's hot Seat. Do you realize you're in the to covi Is Hot Seat? Your rock and chair has boots on it.
Speaker 2: I thought it may be the electric chair. Uh man.
Speaker 1: We have Jason Dean with us from Helen Georgia, and Jason was spoiler alert. Jason was the protagonist on the last bear Grease episode and what you.
Speaker 3: Put that in layman's terms, what a protagon?
Speaker 1: He was the main man? Okay, he was the main man, and I.
Speaker 3: Thought the bist like a villain.
Speaker 1: No PROTAGONA antagonist is the is the protagonist? Is the is the is the good guy? The main guy. And spoiler alert again if you haven't listened to it, Jason Dean was shot with the two seventy rifle in nineteen ninety and we're going to talk all about that in just a minute. So welcome to Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I appreciate being here to honor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it I'm so glad. It's an a for for you to be here with us. Really, that's the way I think about it. So so good to see you. But we're gonna dig deep in a minute. But we've got to cover a few things. First. We have doctor mister newcome here.
Speaker 4: Good to be great to see you, always good to be here.
Speaker 1: Brent w re very good to see you.
Speaker 2: Brent. What's a w stand?
Speaker 1: Can't say it on.
Speaker 3: Under Winner, Winn Winning.
Speaker 5: Brent just splashed a gang sign.
Speaker 6: What is your middle name?
Speaker 7: My middle name is brent By the first name is Danger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brent doesn't talk about his middle name. That's the reason.
Speaker 2: No, that is Brent is my middle name.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: I like to call Brent Brintley Brinley.
Speaker 7: There's two people on this planet to call me Brentley. My sister in law, Barbie Gene and and Misty Gene.
Speaker 3: Misty jan You know that's my mother in law, my wife, and my daughter's middle name.
Speaker 5: So Gene, they're all Jeans.
Speaker 7: Bailey's middle name is Suzanne. My mother in law's name is Suzanne. Alexis middle name is Suzanne. Until Bailey was in like the third grade, she thought everybody's middle name was Susanne.
Speaker 1: I thought you were about to say my middle That's why talk about it? Is your dad Johnny Ca, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well what about me?
Speaker 5: And keep going?
Speaker 1: Josh land Bridge Spillmaker and Bear John Newcomb you bet, yes, in.
Speaker 3: Their list of credits were always at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Bear.
Speaker 8: I think in the list of credits we should probably go by chair niceness. Somehow Bear gets some nicer chairs than I do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, first time, Josh and I.
Speaker 5: Josh and I kind of get the scrappy chairs.
Speaker 3: But you should see our mansions in heaven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't store up for yourself treasures on Earth where moss and moss and rush destroy.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure some of this holds up that one.
Speaker 1: So a couple of things we got to just take care of before we get started. Uh next week, huge sale, first Light, first Light read it.
Speaker 3: Josh, bear with me one second while we'll go.
Speaker 1: You get ready for that?
Speaker 3: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: You got it?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Spring reload sale Were Excited.
Speaker 3: Starts with May fourteenth over at Meat Eater. Check back for daily twenty four hour deals on favorites like Marina wool Wick and Killing Bass Layer had them on this morning, and our Marina and rainwear from First Light. Fifty percent off logo wear, including the Bear Grease shirt, but by one to get one free on the American Buffalo Jerky, fifty percent off FHS original Pro m Bino Hardness, forty percent off Phelps, Turkey Calls, and much more.
Speaker 1: Okay, and a bunch more excellent excellent. Number two, You guys have heard about the Bear Grease YouTube channel? Yes, you probably have, but we wanted to. If you haven't checked it out, you should go check it out. We just we just bumped over one hundred thousand subscribers. Yeah, just the last couple of days. Yeah, it's a big deal.
Speaker 3: Awesome bear.
Speaker 1: What's going on over at the Bear Grease YouTube channel?
Speaker 6: Well, this week we've got a pretty a pretty crazy video, absurd video.
Speaker 3: Is it controversial?
Speaker 2: Is it? No?
Speaker 6: Yeah? No, I would I wouldn't say that. I mean on the surface, I think it would appear that way, but whenever you get into it, you realize we were going to be doing it anyway.
Speaker 1: And it hygenic.
Speaker 6: No, I actually probably contracted its.
Speaker 1: Where Okay, yeah, we were with baited breath. We wait to see what this video.
Speaker 6: We took a toilet up and we made it into stone points.
Speaker 1: A toilet was a little more content.
Speaker 6: It was like a competition where a bunch of flint and apples got together and we took a toilet tank crushed it up. You pick a piece and you have thirty minutes to make to make any.
Speaker 1: This was at a Big Bow your event, the Tensity classic, right, Yeah, and this is where a bunch of guys get together to make self bows and flint napp points and turns out ceramic. Like is in a toilet you could flint nap and make an incredible point. I mean, you can make a stone point what we call a stone point. Should you?
Speaker 2: Should you?
Speaker 1: Good question is you know you can make a point out of glass, literally a glass bottle. You can make it out of ceramic, you can make it out all kind of stuff. You can make one out of a piece of concrete. You know, it may not be that sharp, but so these guys make points, and so y'all made one out of a toilet?
Speaker 2: Who won?
Speaker 6: Uh is a fella named Jack Crafty?
Speaker 1: What happened to your real name? Joe W.
Speaker 2: Crafty?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 6: Well my point it was all right. I mean I got to point out, but it was it was nothing special. There are some I'm not that great of a flint napper, but I can flint napp. Yeah, these guys were some incredible the best flint nappers I've ever been around.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They were just thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: What does it do? What does it do to your social credibility to have that on your resume, that you have flint napp? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Commind of hard to say, because the I will say, of my all the videos that I've ever posted on Instagram, that one has that I posted last year as twenty million views across all platforms, and I've never had a video get anywhere close to that. So I don't know what that says about it necessarily, other than.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just a commoter.
Speaker 6: It's just a very obscure thing to have on your commote angler your resume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know what that does for my social credibility.
Speaker 8: I think there might be a different relationship that that experience has with your YouTube channel and your Instagram feed than like you're.
Speaker 6: Then like if I told yeah, yeah, yeah, Like if I was like on a date and I was like, exactly, I.
Speaker 1: Don't don't just don't lead. Is that what advice you'd give, Hi.
Speaker 2: Jason, I would agree with that. I don't lead with it. I don't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was of like a twentieth day type of conversation.
Speaker 8: Well, I feel like that might be one of those things that you even hide, you know, like.
Speaker 1: I A, wow, don't hide.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm off for transparency. But I actually told your dad, like, I don't know if this helps our.
Speaker 5: But I will tell you getting married.
Speaker 1: I will tell you that the way that I captured set the hook on Misty. Let's see if I was with was was with a story about shooting a wild hog Jack Amber.
Speaker 5: It's true, it's true, it's true. It wasn't the it was.
Speaker 8: It wasn't the content of the story as much as it was Clay's passion, hand gestures, standing up, doing impressions, throughout the storytelling experience.
Speaker 2: I was, I was, I can see some of the gestures.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't have to tell you the story, okay, because there's a there's a circular. It's gonna wrap back around and buy us right in the tail.
Speaker 7: I was.
Speaker 1: I was a years seventeen years old junior in high school. Gary Neukomb gave me permission to skip school because I had a hog baited. I dug a big hole in the ground two feet deep, filled it full of corn. It was right on the edge of a of a like a floodplain of a creek where the bank dropped down to the creek.
Speaker 5: So already we're seeing some hand motions and got.
Speaker 7: Me already, and and.
Speaker 1: I had my hole down below the bank. Okay, it's like an eight foot bank, right at the base of an eight foot bank. Okay. I cleared the leaves out for forty yards back to where I could slip in there and then walk on bare dirt and just like peek over the edge. Thursday more. I remember it was a Thursday.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 1: February the thirteenth day. And I went down there and I didn't know if there was a hog there or not. There were no trail cameras at that time that we were using. And I slip up over that bank with my high country bow with a wasp jackhammer broadhead, and did y'all hear.
Speaker 5: How his accent got a lot more so?
Speaker 1: Now I'm just saying, I peek over the edge of that thing, and there is three quarters of the biggest hog I've ever seen in my life sticking out of that hole. His head was in the hole. Plan worked flawlessly. I mean, I'm serious. I look over it. I mean, his head is in that hole, and I'm like fifteen yards and I just draw back, aim right behind the shoulder. Wop, hit that sucker right where I was aiming, right behind the shoulder. Air penetrates about three inches. The pig runs off, the era falls out on the ground, and never see the pig again. But where the story circulates back to stone point points. While I was looking for the hog, I went ahead and tried to track it. I mean, I just thought maybe it got into the cavity. It did not. I found a beautiful stone point on the ground that I still happen to this day, was of a commode, maybe old one. I got red and I got.
Speaker 7: I got a half a key lowo Crystal myth out of a commode one time. Wow real yeah on a search one.
Speaker 6: Wow wow Wow, that's good.
Speaker 3: That was a pivot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a pivot. I'm just saying, going back to Clay's story, we call it.
Speaker 1: We call it Jack Camer. That that pig I named him Jack Cameron.
Speaker 8: Imagine you've never heard a hunting story before in your life, Okay, okay, because that's where I was. I didn't grow up in a hunting family or around hunters at all. And then you meet some guy and he tells you you're he's a hunter, and it's like ah, and then he proceeds to tell that story because it has leg.
Speaker 5: It's a red flag.
Speaker 8: We should play red flag, Green flag, and what what mister should have done?
Speaker 1: But that it kind of a metaphorical sense. The story was my corn in the hole.
Speaker 8: For no, no, no, no no no, that's not no.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna make me the hog. That's not the way you played this game play man.
Speaker 3: I saw a huge hog this morning, did you really? Yeah? He was two fifty plush way right on the side of the road. It was pulling in. I took Christy turkey hunting this morning, and she like.
Speaker 1: Intar acred spot that you're telling everybody about?
Speaker 3: No, I told most shepherd, and now everybody knows about.
Speaker 5: I got a call about it at school.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see if Moe listens to this piper, I know we'll see.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was a big, old like white and tan hog.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just right on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Christy was like, was that a hog?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, big and wild hog. Jason, you have you have children?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir?
Speaker 1: You married?
Speaker 2: I am? Yes?
Speaker 1: How long you been married?
Speaker 9: We got married in ninety six, so that would be about the thirty two years of it, I guess.
Speaker 1: Like that excellent. How did you meet your wife?
Speaker 9: Actually at a place I probably shouldn't have been and she shouldn't have either, But we.
Speaker 3: We started, we hog bait, We hogged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, red flag, red flag.
Speaker 9: Now we just had a bunch of friends gathered around and and we didn't really know each other in school or anything like that, and we just met and kind of, you know, got the talking and been together ever since.
Speaker 1: So so nights, you've been married a long time?
Speaker 2: I have, yeah, all my life.
Speaker 1: How many kids do you have?
Speaker 2: We have three?
Speaker 9: I have all girls, and my youngest one she's a special needs child. She has a rare genetic story called Angelman syndrome. So, and then it's Amber and Jaden and Jayly's my three girls. That's excellent. No grandchildren, no, no, no yet. Yeah this grand cat and grand ble.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I hear you. That's great. That's great. Well, okay, this is the only other thing on my list. So there's a there's a guy that listen to the podcast named Brad Cordell. He seems like a really nice guy. He has a he has a he's a habitat wildlife land business. I'm actually gonna look up the name of his business. It's uh, let's see Brad's They.
Speaker 7: Enhanced wildlife Habitat for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does. He does all kinds of stuff like that. Oh gone, Brad, I'm sorry, man, I can't I can't find the name of your business. But Brad Cordell from Arkansas has got a habitat management business. But he messaged me yesterday lost forty habitat improvements Brad's business. So Brad messages me yesterday and he says, hey, Clay, I had a dream I don't want to tell you about Well, I'm all in.
Speaker 2: Is it what time? What time did this happen? What time of the day?
Speaker 1: Six ten am? Oh, freshly, that's when you got the message? Wait wait, wait, I take that back. It was two pm.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 7: Because if you tell a dream, if you have a dream and you tell it before you had breakfast, it'll come true.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow, I hope you probably ate before too.
Speaker 5: Good luck, But that'd be an inter minute faster sweet.
Speaker 1: He says, He says, He says, hey, Clay, sorry, this is kind of long. Details are important. During an all day turkey hunt two hours from home yesterday, I dozed off and had a dream in which your my inner outlaw came out.
Speaker 5: WHOA.
Speaker 1: In the dream, we were hunting the same property, but not together, and I walked up on you, you and some other guy unknown, and you were using a remote control owl with a speaker on it, flying it around hooting trying to get a turkey to gobble. But since y'all was trespassing, since you were trespassing, I made y'all leave and called the game warden. And then he ends with for the record, you're welcome to come hunt. And then then he expounded, when I kind of asked a little bit about the owl, and he said, uh, he said, he said, do you remember that toy from the eighties where there was an airplane connected to a handle by about a twenty inch wire. Pressed the button on the handle that would start to propel her and it would fly in a circle around you. He said, that's how your owl was designed. But you press the button, the wings would flap. He goes on and says, do you remember the old movie Clash of the Titans. Now he wouldn't up, and now he's speaking my language. I mean that movie is iconic in my mind is a childhood and from my childhood. Do you remember that one?
Speaker 2: Don't?
Speaker 1: Okay? Okay? Well, he says, he said there was a He said, that's what the owl looked like, in all metal, mechanical looking owl that would fly around. And who that brings up my newest business idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ain't that copyright?
Speaker 1: Rad I'll cut you in trademark. Trademarket a drone with an owl? Hoot, because a lot of a lot listen, listen a lot of times. You know, if you're close and you're trying to shock goble of turkey, he'll answer you. You know, he might be a mile away and here just a distant owl and not do it. But if you were seventy five yards from and cranked up, he'd gobble. But you can hear that turkey for a long way. So I'm saying, if we could, if we could get a locator call on a drone, I can.
Speaker 6: Already tell that I'm out. Next year, there's going to be a couple of states with some new laws.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll put that one in the back pocket.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thanks, thanks for sharing that, Brad, much appreciated.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and we're don't forget one more thing. Be on the lookout. Spring twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yes, so am, I think we could. I think we can say we're not announcing this officially, but fun pretty close. February twenty seven is when my book comes out. Twenty seven, twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Actually didn't come out a couple weeks before the twenty seventh.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, February twenty twenty seven, American Bear. We're gonna gonna be a big splash when it comes out.
Speaker 3: Everybody learned how to read yas I said, I might have to learn how to read between now and then.
Speaker 5: We're offering phonics lessons, a couple of lists.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's gonna be it's gonna be really incredible. We gonna have some I've told little bits and pieces that's going to be in the book.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: I just did an interview this this week that was like a last minute addition to the book of one of the gnarliest bear attack stories that I've ever heard. Yeah, and that's not what the book is about. But the book is about the biography of the American black bear, which will blow your mind. But the but, the but the man bear overlap, and how there's more overlap today than ever in human history. I Mean, you often think about wild animals and humans and like the stories of conflict would be old and long ago, and kind of the world is like a civilized place now. But really we've got more bear human overlap than ever before. In the American black bear. There are more American black black bears twice as many American black bear as all seven other bear species combined. So whatever's happening ecologically on planet Earth, the black bear is absolutely thriving. And so really America's bear story is just beginning, just beginning, and so the story that I interviewed these guys.
Speaker 3: It was a black bear attack.
Speaker 1: It was Wow, it was, and it's just kind of mind blowing. And the guy lived. I talked to the guy that got attacked.
Speaker 3: Wow, how long ago?
Speaker 1: Twenty fifteen? Okay, yeah, the attack involved but may not have been related to the bear. The man getting a completely new titanium elbow, that's all I want to say.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so before or after after? Okay, after after, Well, this week's episode was very unique. It was kind of surprising to me when I heard the story. So, your nephew Eric is the one who reached out to us.
Speaker 2: Yes, he had messaged me after the fact. So I hope that's okay, that's fine with me, all good? Yes, that is my nephew Eric.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we get a lot of We get a lot of people that give us ideas. We honestly, we use a lot of them. Some of them just kind of moved through and it's just not something we can do, or maybe it's not a good idea at all, or maybe somebody's got a great idea but no connections, Like somebody might be like Clay, this will make a great bear grease and it would, but maybe there's no book or person or people to interview. When Eric emailed me or he messaged me and he said, he said, my uncle got shot in nineteen ninety. It's a really unique story. And he said, I could, I could get you Jason, my dad and the E M T. And you know, he kind of had it lined up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he was speculating a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Now he realized when with something like this, did you I mean, is this hard to talk about?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 9: It's just never never been hard for me whatsoever. Yeah, I'll be honest with you. Hearing my brother Ricky on the podcast, that's the worst I've ever heard him say about it ever. He really and my dad was the same way. They didn't They just didn't want to talk about it. And like Ricky had said, you know a lot of it to him, just the kind of a fog. It's just I think when they got to me, you know, but a good bit of time had already passed before they got there. And and like I said, when my dad screamed, I'm sure what he saw there he thought that you know, it was you know, I wasn't around anymore I'm sure because at the time, you know, John Clemens talked about the golden hour, Well, probably that golden hour had already passed before anybody got to me, being that, no, there was no ambulance in the county where I got shot. They had to come from the two adjoining counties to men the guy that so happened to come by, Richard Williams. You know, they had to go get the pay on to call them and then they had to meet him. Then he brought them to us, and so pretty good bit. I mean, I don't know how much at that how much time, but it had to be close to that hour before they ever got there. And then it was another hour to Saugusta and they John Clements said, there was no reason to go.
Speaker 2: We passed up two or three hospital.
Speaker 9: There was one other man that was in the hunting club and he couldn't keep up and he said he would stop at every exit it said hospital, and they didn't know what he was talking about, and he said, what the heck, you know, why would you go by this one? But John said, if we can't get him to a trauma unit, you know, there's no way, no other place we can go.
Speaker 1: Wow, So it was probably over two hours before you made it to the that specific.
Speaker 2: Conspacey, yes, I would say so. So.
Speaker 1: I mean that in and of itself, is is pretty pretty wild that.
Speaker 9: You yes, very much, you know that, just truly. I mean, it's just hard to really believe. I mean, it's just amazing how everything happened. And like John said, everything that could go wrong did seem to go wrong. But you know, it's still kind of worked out for my best I think I'm blessed to still be around for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, it's, uh, it's kind of wild to hear a story like this and and all of a sudden you realize the what life was like before cell phones. To think of meeting a guy on the road, waving him down and saying, go get help. I mean that's kind of a thing of the past.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, really, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Mean I remember when I was a young man before cell phones, which I got my first cell phone to think of two thousand and one, so, I mean I was like twenty one or something. I remember when you saw somebody on the side of the road, you stopped to help, yeah, to ask him at least, I mean, you know, if you could I'd say pretty common practice. Somebody was pulled over on the road. You roll down your window, y'all, all right, you need help. I mean anymore, you're like.
Speaker 2: They got a cell phone.
Speaker 1: Everybody's got a cell phone. I mean, nobody doesn't have a cell phone. But to think of going out on this county road and this guy coming down the road and sending him to a payphone to call him, it's kind of wild.
Speaker 2: It is, it is, sure.
Speaker 9: And then yeah, he was sort of familiar with that area, so he kind of when he told him where we kind of word what. He just followed the stream where I was at to us. But yeah, it's uh, it really, it's just amazing really. And then the same guy who came brought them to me. Then that's when he went and got my dad and my brother, and he knew where our camp was. He was kind of familiar, and they were wondering why, you know, it had been a while before any you know, had I hadn't came back, and they didn't know. And he went and told him, you know, to come with him, and that's when he brought my dad and my brother over there to me where I was.
Speaker 1: So I want you guys to ask any questions that you would have just from listening to the episode. I'm just going to keep talking about y'all interrupt and just ask him a question about it. I got one, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: You know what you're talking about?
Speaker 7: Cell phones and stuff in the advent of of apps and stuff like that. You know on X could you said you saw some turkeys earlier that day? Yes, any question or just needs to be related to Can we talk about the turkeys later after we sure? I would like in all seriousness, I listened to it twice, and I'm telling you it was a very moving thing. And you have you are a testament the faith and perseverance for for sure.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a time.
Speaker 7: And I already know the answer to this, Was there ever a time in that from the time you realize what had happened until you woke up later in that story where you had any any doubts or any feelings one strong feelings one way or the other? How valid your faith had been up to that point in your life? Am I asking that correctly?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 9: I think I no, I mean when they when that first happened, and uh, you know I had been involved in church my dad, you know, seen to it that we were and I had gotten saved in my belief in church as a younger man. And when I got shot, you know, I had actually told Dave, I said, you know, please don't leave me. I don't want to die alone. But I was okay with that at that time. And I didn't really have any I mean, I was just complete peace with it, and I was okay. Was no you know, really concerned as far as that if that's kind of what you were.
Speaker 7: It was, and I and I would think that that would have a lot to do with you coming through it. I obviously, yeah, the hand of the Lord is on you, but you didn't get it. You wouldn't panic it never Yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 9: I mean I was like I even the John Clement he had said before it was just he couldn't really believed that. I kind of stayed conscious and stayed you know pretty much. You know, I would weak by for sure. I mean I was just felt like I was total just you know, weak. I mean I don't but I still was, you know, alert and would at times you know there before my dad got there, I think I was really really close, you know, to to giving up I think, but I just when I I guess when he got there. It's more of a thing like, well, yeah, I just got a fight, so I don't want to I don't him. I could hear the pain in him as a child laying there, and I just so I just you know, it just and from you know, it's just I don't know really how to put that into words really, but it's just so strong.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just such an In the business that I I was in for forever, I've seen folks like that, and it's such a it's a rare there's always a common thread amongst it, and it's the will to it's the love of self or love of family, or love of something that gives people the inner strength to hang on. And it is it is not that while that story was unique, the situation of him coming through that to me was something that I've seen several times in my career. It and it's always a common thread in there, and it's just amazing, man, it is just so moving, very moving.
Speaker 1: Well, can you is there any more you can tell us about your the experience of seeing your grandmother.
Speaker 9: I mean when that was just before my dad got there, you know, I was probably, I would guess. I mean until I got to the hospital and they put me on you know, incubated me and all that. That was you know, probably the time that I was getting you know, I mean I was you'd lost yeah, and I feel like, you know, the way I can explain it was like, you know, it's just like my spirit had left my body. I feel like my spirit was what you know there And like I said, and it's just as vivid really to me now as it was thirty five years ago. It was just like if you was on the river at you know, right at daybreak, how a lot of times there will be the fog and the mist lifting off the water. It was like a moving water and and it was like that. And I was on this side of that river, and my grandmother was on the other side, and she just had her hand out, you know, to accompany me across. It's what I felt like. She recently passed away, yes, just a few months before.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Was she a believer?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so would she have been in your life like kind of icon of someone that she.
Speaker 9: Lived further away my mi I grew up more around on where my dad grew up, so it's twenty thirty minutes away. We would go to her house every two weeks on Sunday. But she was just a wholesome, really really good person. Really, And you know that area where we grew up, it's you know, my grandmother. She had an outthouse and an out She used to have a pail and a dipper to get her water out of a creek all my life as a child. The kids told us that, you know, she got old and feeble and she lived alone, still didn't have any indoor plumbing in her home. And they said, we're going to get you a well, and she finally gave in, said you can get me a well, but you ain't putting it in my house. I'll go out there and fill my pail. And that's how she wanted to really.
Speaker 2: They put a spickett there to get her water in a pill.
Speaker 7: Did you could during that time? Did you hear anything before you before you heard your father? I mean, did you hear the water running or no?
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 9: The mostly the guys, the paramedics there, they were there basically screaming at me, but it was like they were across a football field away and I could barely hear them it was like they were just going on wild they're working on so that's when they come, you know, cut my They came in and I had this day after Christmas, so it's pretty cool, and I had on at the time. You were the real thick line cover offs and they start trying to cut cut them off of their scissors and h That's when they had asked, said, you know, we need a knife or whatever.
Speaker 2: Did anybody have one?
Speaker 9: And nobody answered, And then I told them, well, I had that case trapper in my pocket and I always keep it pretty sharp. So they get and they coming up my leg really really fast, more than I was comfortable with.
Speaker 2: I told them to slow down just a little bit with that sow.
Speaker 9: But but they were screaming at me, you know, to trying to keep me there. They were just you know, they were screaming. But to me, it was like I could barely hear them. It's like they were way way away. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Was it a.
Speaker 1: What did you feel when you saw your grandmother the river? I mean, what was this that was?
Speaker 9: I just felt just a total peace and I didn't feel anything really at that time. You know, when I first got hit with a bullet. I mean it hit hard and it was just like you got hit in the back, you know something just it almost knocked me down. And I was seventeen years old, and you see, I'm a bigger guy, and I played football, so I'm a pretty stout guy. And I can remember I had a cap on and it hit me so hard, like my body moved with the hat like dipt'ing. And when when I finally kind of got stood back up, the cat was sitting on my head sideways.
Speaker 2: That's how hard it hit me.
Speaker 9: And then and immediately I thought it hit me in my stomach because every I could feel blood just I thought pouring out, but it was actually in turn, I.
Speaker 1: Just feel like water, like the blood slow and.
Speaker 9: One I could feel hot warm, the warm inside. Well, I thought it was out, but it was inside, not it. And I thought that's where I actually put my hands here. I thought I got shot there.
Speaker 3: That would have been your spleen problem.
Speaker 2: That was my spleen. Yes, that's where my splendid rupture. And every time my.
Speaker 9: Heart beat I could have felled that blood just pouring and come to find actually hit me.
Speaker 2: It was up there.
Speaker 9: It hit me to the left of the inchs to my spine right here by the middle my back, and it came up, went through my left lungless my heart by the inch. It came out over here under my arm, out my rib cage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what what does it? What's it feel like to get shot with a two seventy.
Speaker 9: It just that that impact was really what I felt. And then immediately that for the concussion that my spleen reps, I started feeling that blood, you know, and which I say, I thought it was out, but it was internal. But it's just a hard Did.
Speaker 3: You immediately feel pain?
Speaker 2: No, that's what I didn't feel. No pain, No, No.
Speaker 1: Like the whole time, it just felt like somebody hit you with a baseball back back.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, and then I started losing blood so fast. I got really, really really weak. But really as far as saying pain, no, I don't think it. I couldn't say that. I did feel pain.
Speaker 2: Later on in recovery, yes, well that's kind of strange.
Speaker 9: In recovery, when I finally got off the ventilator, and all the doctor told me said when they let me go home, he said, Jason said, when you go home, when all this starts healing up, and I mean your sore and what I've been cut open back like open mark surgery.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: He said, you're not going to believe it. So when you when all that gets better and you quit hurting from that, he said, you're gonna have a pain right there in your left shoulder behind down below your shoulder. And he said it's gonna hurt you for a whole lot longer. And I said why, And he said, that bullet just broke that real terrible bead where it went in to war my lung. And he said that's going to hurt you longer than anything else. And sure enough, it was just that that did that that where that rib was broken, it hurt you know.
Speaker 3: After did the bullet fragment? No, well did they find it? No, it went through and through and through.
Speaker 1: You know what kind of tip?
Speaker 2: What kind of bullet was I do? It was one hundred and fifty grain Remington soft point.
Speaker 1: Wow, So what would that mean? It would a mushroom bread?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm surprised it didn't tear apart.
Speaker 9: If I'm not going to say they might have said something about they might have found a little fragment or two, like in the side of me. But like I say, I was when they operated, you know, of course I was out for a while. So but I think later one of the doctors there at the Medical College of Georgia, he might have mentioned that they did get a piece or two that had kind of fragmented in there somewhere.
Speaker 6: Did it have any impact on you going back into the woods.
Speaker 9: After Yeah, that's what I want to know, know, And I've had that question many times. He'll say, good lord, you've lost your mind. But I'll be honest with you. I guess in one way that made me appreciate life. I mean, I always did anyway, but you need to appreciate every day. And I always might answer to that is if there's something you enjoy doing, you need to do it because you may not be here to do it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So my dad.
Speaker 9: In fact, you know, he told me, he said, son, do you want to hunt anymore? And I said yeah. He said, well, I want to find a place, and we still thankful to have it.
Speaker 2: Today. He had bought some property. He said I'm done.
Speaker 9: At that time, we paid the least property, you know, from somebody else and had other members and Dad said that I'm done with that. So he said, I all know who's on hours, and we'll have control of that. And he bought fifty eight acres in nineteen ninety one. Then later he brought thirty eight more. So when he passed, there's like ninety seven acres we have within ten minutes of where that happened. It's about two hours from my home, and we still cherish it to this day. My daughter, middle daughter.
Speaker 2: She loves that, you know, she's there with me. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Do you have any dreams, any bad dreams, any thoughts, anything that will trigger a memory of that day or anything.
Speaker 9: That's a question that they actually had told my dad said you need to get him with a counselor or something. Said he's going to have a lot of trouble with this and this. I have never had the first nightmare, the first Never never had one.
Speaker 1: Oh, never have thank god. Yeah, that's incredible. Never had no trauma from this.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I mean that's when I knew you were coming, and I knew we were going to talk about this. I had a sense just of how open you were with Josh. But I also thought, I wonder if this is going to be hard to talk about this now.
Speaker 2: It doesn't like I said, my brother and my dad, but he's past.
Speaker 9: They it's they do my brother, Ricky, my sister and my mom and stuff, and John Clemens to tell. When they were carrying me out on the gurney, Ricky was on the left shoulder and he hand touched that where it was open, and it burned. It's like you noticed, rick it was burned and I yelled it hurt and he asked him to sit me down, and he didn't want to go any further. He told John, said, I don't want his last memory to be me hurting him and that John said he's hurting already. Let's get him out of here. And so they picked me up went on. But Ricky he got blood of course on him. And my sister said she got to the hospital. My mom was at home, so she had to get her brother to bring him to Augusta, which is three hours from home, and they get there later in the night, and Ricky of course had washed up then. But she said they were trying to find where to go, and said she see through the window saw Ricky sitting in the hospital there and said he was just wringing his hands because he'd had that blood on him, and it was really bothering him, and he, you know, done that for a long time when it it just he couldn't get that out of his mind, you know. And and me when I yelled when it hit, it hurt, and I think that, you know, bothered him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, I think sometimes it probably it checks out that traumatic experiences impact those around us, maybe as much as us. I mean, And I'm thinking about a few scenarios where you would thought you would have thought the the person, the person that happened to, but it was actually the ripple of it into someone else, you know, that kind of was traumatic, you know.
Speaker 8: And there's there's some if you look at for example, if you look at abuse like child abuse, sometimes in a family, there will be one child that's abused in the siblings that watch it, and they found stronger impacts on the siblings than there have been on the person that was like the person for whatever reason. And I think part of that is processing it. I think sometimes you know, like even just to hearing you tell the story, you kind of have to be able to tell the story where it's not it doesn't feel like it's happening again. And that's that's kind of the measure of what trauma, the level of trauma that you experience, and it's really it's for someone who's experiencing peace in that scenario, you know, it probably was a different experience for you, not I mean, the recovery was probably much.
Speaker 5: Worse for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot harder, you know, just physically to fully recover, but that that that point of trauma might in some ways have been more in some ways more traumatics.
Speaker 9: I've said, I can't imagine what they felt when they got there, because a lot of time had passed, you know, they had you know, by the time Ricky and my dad got there, they had my clothes. I'm laying in the middle of the woods. You know, I'm sure, you know, I just can't imagine what that would yeah, sure be for them, you know. And then too, and I've said it was one of the first things that I was when I was on the ventilator, I was trying to get them to give me a pen and that, you know, Dave Reese, the guy who shot me, and everybody can make them mistake of them. It's hard to understand, but he I mean, I really believe it's probably harder on him mentally, I know it was than it had not physically, but mentally it really it was hard on him. And that was the first thing I wrote a note, was how was it? Yeah, that was the first thing I asked, you know, so, yeah, yeah, he was struggling really bad.
Speaker 1: To go back just a little bit. The first time I heard your story and all these episodes, like Josh went on this one and you talked to Jason for like forty four minutes. He talked to Ricky for fifty five minutes, He talked to John Clemens for forty minutes. And so the episode that we built combined all three of you was fifty five minutes, so that there was longer interviews that you did with Jason. But what stood out to me was you got in a creak.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and why that came to my mind? I couldn't answer that closs.
Speaker 3: So that was a conscious thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was standing on the side of the stream there and and when that hit me in I said, when I yelled for help, I said, oh God, I've been shot. Somebody please help me. I yelled, somebody helped me two more times. The first time I was able to yell pretty good. The next time I'm getting weak pretty quick. And then I knew. I said, I can't go. I might just cut. There's no way that I could have went. And it come to my mind. I said, well, I've seen a lot of deer that go to water, and I don't know why they go to water, but I said, well, I'm just going to sit down here in the streaming. And the bank was there, and I just kind of laid kind of my arm up on the bank and that water is kind of water about I don't know, six or eight inches. Was the water touching the wound. No, possibly, it was just a ball with my legs and all. And they said that that being I got so cold, that that could have slowed everything down.
Speaker 2: That may have helped.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean because I got the day after Christmas and I'm sitting in water running streams, So yeah, I mean, but I don't know why I did, but that just came to my mind, just to sit down in that water.
Speaker 1: I hadn't thought about it being so cold. I hadn't thought about it being like a hypothermic.
Speaker 2: Those thoughts said it slowed everything down.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean that would have slowed his heart way down. That's what I was pumping all his blood out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what I was thinking about, not getting you know, so excited and everything, and.
Speaker 1: In that cold water. It's a seventeen year old. Yeah, I mean it's easy to see him now as an adult who's got a lot of life experience, but he was seventeen exactly when I heard it, I just thought, this is this is a woodsman, you know, I mean, somebody that has grown up in the woods and just kind of knows the natural world to get shot and have the wherewithal to be like, I'm going to get in the creek because I think it is going to help me. Yeah, yeah, I mean it's pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And then like you know, when he got there to me, you know, he he got me up out of the water right and laid me just flat on my back. Then you know, we're that bullet with my lung. I mean, it's coming out blood from my nose. I'm drowned then, and he actually took his cover OFLLS off and put under my back to sit me up now because it was up high on my lung where it hit me. So that gave me a little bit of relief. And then that's when he left to go get help and all that, you know, but yeah, but yeah, yes, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yes, Bar, did you have any thoughts like what stood out to you? If if Jason wasn't sitting here, what would you say about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, the biggest thing was I think it kind of put the fear of God of me a little bit about just being out on like public land. And because you know, I saw that orange vest that you were wearing, and it wasn't like it was like one of those little yeah orange. Yeah, it was a very solid, better orange than I usually wear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you with.
Speaker 9: This was probably right at dark too, and it was like really a thick cover to where I was. But still, I mean it's hard to have a mont really, but yeah, yeah, but I just thought that that was I know a lot of people do try to kind of limit the orange they wear. And I mean even now and like you talk about to ask me if I still.
Speaker 2: Have thoughts or worry or whatever.
Speaker 9: You know, we own that property there where I'm at, and sometimes I'll just grab my canflice coat and head off to the tree stand. And my daughter, my wife, said, get you dang orange vest.
Speaker 10: You were like, hey, it doesn't always got me shot one time.
Speaker 1: Again, you get to Orge, I'm going to bulletproof of I thought you. I thought you were going to say, Hey, I've been shot once, I ain't gonna get shot again.
Speaker 9: I got some orange foot orange shirts.
Speaker 3: Jason, I've got a question for you.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: And in just a little bit of time that I've spent with you, you're an incredibly positive person, Like like everything that comes out of your mouth that has a positive spin to it. And and you said, you know, I don't have bad days, but some days are better than others. Looking at this thing that is a tragedy, I mean horrible, we would never want to happen. What can you say, because I know that you have something to say, what positive came from it?
Speaker 9: But just the appreciation of each and every day, I mean it's a you know, it's a blessing. And just that to be able to be up and enjoy my family and see them and you know, and and then not to say that when that day comes that I'm ready to go home. I am, but you know, I enjoy the time here and get to me and with the It's just every day is truly.
Speaker 2: A blessing to me.
Speaker 9: And I don't know what you'd talk about reading some of the stuff about the eye out of the body experience, it'll see in there, And I haven't read that. Pool We've done this podcast in thirty five years. I've never had no desire to really look. But from when you read it says that you'll have a profound appreciation for life after that happens. And I feel like that I have that and maybe had it before.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 7: It only accentuate your your feelings.
Speaker 2: For it to be true.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, m hmmm.
Speaker 2: I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 7: It's just incredible. It is a europe To COVID's hot seat miracle, if you were sitting in that saddle or standing on top of the roof.
Speaker 1: Something about the medical aspects of John John Clement's talking about your body only has so much blood. He maybe I understand, maybe it was understood by everyone, but there was maybe a little bit of detail I had to clip out. But John put trousers like like in inflatable trousers. Did that make sense?
Speaker 9: And you talked about that. I heard the shooting and all not those things. I begged and pleaded please take these off of me. It felt like a truck laying on my legs.
Speaker 2: They were tore. It was all I.
Speaker 9: Begged him to take. But I didn't over know the name. I always said mass trousers, and that's what they caught. But it's metal or military anti shock or anti shock, you know, so it's pressurizing, It pushes it, it won't allow none back in either. Your blood pushed up your extremities. And they said that's they used it like in Vietnam. That's why so many of them didn't have no legs, a lot of them. You leave them on long enough, you're going to lose them. It's a sacrifice.
Speaker 1: These to keep you here, keep you alive.
Speaker 9: And they John had told me when we talked recently, he said, they don't even have those on ambulets anymore. I don't know if that tried or wrong, but he's paramedic. He said that they don't. And he said, I don't agree with that because he said, in that his situation, they can really make out that, like say, well, that's like he had told about putting the thing that each kneedling my neck, you know. He said that wasn't really protocol. But he's you know, and he said something to me during this time all this has came about that, you know, And that's one thing I've kind of had a hard time to get out of my mind.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 9: One of the men on the amulets told him said, John, stop, leave him alone. He's trying to die. Let him go in peace. He'd actually asked him to, you know. And and that's what John said. He had to have that volume. That's why he put one on each side of my neck to get enough volume to get me going, you know wow. And he told me there at that time, he said, your heart will beat on water, but it won't carry the oxygen everywhere else.
Speaker 2: That's the problem. Yeah, And so that's what he said.
Speaker 9: He gave me all that fluid, and he said that, you know, I make jokes of a lot of stuff. It really ain't funny, probably, but he said that, you know, a lot of times you get that much fluids may may have brain damage. And I said, well, the jury is still out on that.
Speaker 1: We'll have to ask your wife. Well, hearing him talk about that and thinking about a bullet hole and we've seen deer and animals shot with bullets, so we know we're a unique batch of people hunters. To think about a hunting cartridge being shot and then to think of it going through a human, I mean it's kind of we kind of were in a weird situation because it's so even knowing where it went on your body, I mean like through the top of the lung, almost hit the heart, right by your spine, it makes you well, I was gonna aside from that, makes you realize how ephemeral life is. I mean, like basically where this we're like a pump station or natural body is. And I mean if there's a leak in the system, it doesn't work for very long. I mean it's like a motor like if there's a hole in your motor.
Speaker 2: Grain all the hole out of it, you got a problem.
Speaker 1: And there's no pressure. But I mean you just think about how actually easy it would be to cut yourself, I mean, get cut or hurt, I don't know. John said, you know every day you wake up and you're alive. You should be thankful that when you're young. Is hard. The older I get, the more I think about that, and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I thought it was interesting how John was like, you have calls where everything goes perfectly and people still die. Yeah, and you get this. He said he'd seen a lot of gunshot victims.
Speaker 1: He said he'd seen thirty. I had to cut that out.
Speaker 3: And his was the worst, and I mean other than a mortal gunshot wound. And he said he lived. You know, pretty fascinating.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow wow.
Speaker 8: I want to what Bear was talking about when you said it put the fear of God in you? When I was listening, was it your brother that said you don't know? He said, I don't know what the the man that shot you was thinking, you don't eat.
Speaker 2: He just can't comprehend. He's understand.
Speaker 5: So that's what I think.
Speaker 8: I I do understand if I talk about that brought I brought some textbooks, but all not textbooks.
Speaker 4: Actually really easy to give the doctor the floor.
Speaker 8: So your brain, like we think about the way when we see things that we're looking at like a mirror, but really your brain functions not like a mirror or like a camera, but like a filtering device. That's kind of how the So like, we're all in this room right now, and I can't see everything in this room, even though if I looked around, I would be able to see it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: And have y'all ever seen that video where they put all the kids in they're in like white all white outfits. Yeah, and they're throwing the ball back and forth and they say how many times did they throw the ball back and forth? And you're locked in watching how many times they threw the ball back and forth? At the end, you know they did that eight times? And they said, great, did you see the monkey walk through.
Speaker 5: The middle of them?
Speaker 8: And a fully dressed six foot four gorilla walks through the middle while they're passing that ball to each other and no one sees it. Yeah, unless you've seen the video before, because once you've seen it, you never unsee it. So, but if you've never seen it before, your mind was focused on that. And what So the brain is trying to like it's trying to filter things out, but it's using it's using what it thinks. It's a prediction machine, basically, and it's using what it thinks it will see to inform what's actually there. And so, and it's using two things. Number One, we're.
Speaker 1: Going to bring this back to black panthers.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Okay, Okay, you can't easily.
Speaker 8: Number One, it uses what you see, like what the eyes are actually seeing. And number two, what based upon your biological responses in that moment, what you have seen in the past. Okay, so when your heart's beating a certain way, when you're you know, if you if it smells like hunting, if it feels like hunting, if it feels like that's a deer, and your heart starts to race a little bit. So if he's in those stands and he hears wrestling and he you know, I mean as a hunter, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: All the same things, and that if it had actually been there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that's a biological thing happening, and.
Speaker 4: It's telling your brain in you for action it is.
Speaker 8: And it's telling your brain this is what it's this is what's fixing to happen. And since your brain's job is not to see everything, it's literally to block everything out except for what it thinks it's supposed to see.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense, Well, it definitely makes sense.
Speaker 9: And that adds too. After it was over, he had said David said that he had saw a buck chasing a dough earlier and he was anticipating seeing it and I at the time had a little illuminum climbing stand of that era. Yeah, and he heard that clang and he thought those two bucks were down fighting.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, his brain was messing.
Speaker 2: With him down and when I came down, he heard that.
Speaker 5: So his brain everything all the.
Speaker 9: Times there, So that makes sense totally.
Speaker 2: That goes right with it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I brought pictures that you could look at to make your brain do these tricks where you look at the pictures and you don't know what you're seeing, and then you say one word and all of a sudden, your brain starts to think, oh, I know what that is, and you see you see something else in the pictures and you can never unsee it once you It's just it's it's kind of a wild thing. So sometimes people will say things happened and you're like, I was right there, that did not happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well what if I said a thousand thousand times, want two different stories talking to two people, that's all the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Witness to the Brent says yeah, And he also says, let the calf suck when wants you to drive faster.
Speaker 5: But they're not lying.
Speaker 8: They are they are the brain, you know, and it's not really tricking them, but it is. So you get into a stand and the smart thing to do is say, actually tell yourself the counterfactual. If you're out with people and say I see orange, you know, make yourself like you can change the way you think.
Speaker 3: That deer wearing an orange vest.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and look, and your brain will say. If you say I see orange and orange is out there, your brain's going to start looking for orange.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I was thinking about that too, like you should take that, well, how that could happen? And I could. I feel like I could see how that could happen. Like if your mind is like like whenever you're out there, you're like wanting to see a deer, so like sometimes like I remember one time a hog walked in front of me and I thought, you know, whenever I first thought, I was like, oh, it's a deer. And it took me you know, a while watching it before I was like, okay, well that's just a hog. But it's like my mind wanted.
Speaker 7: If you look and you saw a stump with limbs behind and you go oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so his brain told him he did see it.
Speaker 2: Dearpating so much, that's.
Speaker 8: What you want and your brain is filtering out anything that's not that. So it literally his brain could have filtered out the orange. And you don't believe that could happen until you didn't see that monkey, you know, that gorilla walking through those people, you know, and when you realize, oh my goodness, whatever I'm thinking about is what I see. So your past experience is really shaping your future experience.
Speaker 5: In ways that we don't fully understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. It is scary. Just the gun safety aspect, which we really didn't focus on in the episode. It was kind of a given. And oh man, I'm I'm a nut with with gun safety and that doesn't exclude me from being when I say that, I don't take pride in that because I realize anybody can make a mistake, but just every time I hold a gun, so I'm very conscious and I want people around me to be conscious. There's a guy in Oklahoma. He was the man. Terrible, terrible thing happened two weeks ago Oklahoma a. He was ahead of a Baptist children's He got killed by tss load out of a turkey gun. Oh my goodness killed him. I mean, so we it's turkey season right now. We've been talking a lot about turkey stories, and back in the day it would have been very rare for someone to get killed by a turkey load. I mean, I know lots of people that have been shot with turkey loads, and usually it's a long ways off and they get peppered. I mean really, I know several people that have been shot and it's usually not that big of a deal. But with the new TSS.
Speaker 7: Loads, depends on which end of that's your that's right, depends on which end of that's your own, how big a deal it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, you know, it wasn't.
Speaker 3: Not usually immortal life, yeah.
Speaker 1: But any more any any more fatal wound, mortal wound, that's a good word to.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've never I've never heard that immortal wound.
Speaker 3: I don't think there is an immortal.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know what name.
Speaker 3: I don't know islander.
Speaker 1: No, No, I've I've turkey loads. I've been on a little kick here recently. Yes, I actually, yesterday Josh and I went turkey hunting. I almost brought a full hunter's orange vest with me yesterday.
Speaker 3: You know, I had this after listening to this, I had the same thought.
Speaker 1: I mean, ninety nine percent of your turkey hunting, you are, yeah, anywhere near a turn.
Speaker 3: And that first light I should have I should have done it, that first light. Turkey vest orange orange, it's on.
Speaker 1: The it's on your back. Yeah, it's on your back.
Speaker 3: I I was getting shot at from the front. I could dodge.
Speaker 1: It and show them the orange.
Speaker 2: That's another movie matrix.
Speaker 1: No, I just you know, it's it's statistically getting shot in a honey accident. Statistically, it is not something to really be that concerned about, you know, but it but because it's it just doesn't happen that often. But boy, you don't you don't want to be the one that pulls the trigger. I was turning out with another friend of mine this year, just a few days ago. It was a different a different different friends, different Kaylen Villions, my friend Kaylyn Valians. And uh, my gun was unloaded, and I mean we were in the heat of battle at this point, but we weren't really set up on the turkey. And uh, and the way I figured it is that I didn't need my gunloaded because I wasn't really the main shooter. And he said, why isn't your gunloaded? And I basically said, if somebody gets shot, I would I don't want to be the one doing the shooting. I mean, I basically there were three of us hunting together, which is a lot, and I just was carrying around unloaded gun and it was very happy to do it. And and well I was being I said, I would rather you shoot me than me shoot you.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was the.
Speaker 1: Hook of that story.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: It took a long.
Speaker 7: Time, I thought you was going to say.
Speaker 3: And then I found file.
Speaker 1: And then I found five dollar.
Speaker 3: I was out in the woods this morning with Christy and it's one of this I think it might be the first time she's ever hunted. And we were out there at five point fifteen, so it was you know, black dark and uh, she's she's kind of trailing behind me a little bit. I'm like okay, and she goes. I think, so I'm a little out of my comfort zone. I said, well, in what way are you nervous? She goes a little bit, and I said, well, what are you nervous of? Because I listened to Jason Dinan Blood Trails?
Speaker 1: What other do we have any other questions for I'm just getting started. I don't want to hog the mind, as you.
Speaker 7: Like Civic groups or anything to tell your story.
Speaker 9: I've had a lot of people, you know, need to give your testimony in church or whatever. Well, I can kind of talk like this with a few people. If I get in front of a group or whatever, you see, I can get emotional and I go.
Speaker 2: All I can do is cry.
Speaker 9: Really, and so for thirty five years, I thought, man, I wish I could if somebody could get a blessing or be touched by it. I wished I could, but I always would say I just can't. So when Eric had mentioned this, I said, well, this may be my chance that I guess somebody may be blessed, you know. And I've had my friends have called me. And I had one guy's telling Josh that called me that was the year ahead of being skill. He said, y'all knew you got shot, but I had no idea. I mean he's called me. He's an absolutely squalling crime. Actually it's the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And I've had multiple they several people have called me that's really, you know, been really shook up. So and that I said, hey, you know that was well worth whatever that you know, I'm proud of that.
Speaker 2: You know, that really made me happy. That somebody.
Speaker 7: You will You'll never know the impact that you had on a bunch of people.
Speaker 9: Yes, I'm an my wife, thank you for putting it out there, and you know, and you've done a great job and I think it definitely does make an impact on some people.
Speaker 2: So that's all you could ask for.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, the poor man sitting by me in the airplane. Whenever I was listening to it, I was just like, oh yeah, it was. It was kind of embarrassing. It was one of those small airplanes, so you're kind of close to the guy. And I was like, well, I don't really know what to do. But our daughter texted us and said, part it was hearing his brother talk about it.
Speaker 5: I mean that that was the part.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was that part.
Speaker 8: And uh, our our daughter told us that she texted in the morning and she had, I guess the podcast had just come out, and you know, I was kind of at a loss of what day of the week it was, you know, not tracking all that, and she she texted him was like very usual, and she texted and she said, wow, Dad, that podcast and she said that they stayed in the car and teared up, and so I was like, oh, yeah, I definitely want to hear that. And I just thought on the airplane, you know, I kind of knew what it was about, so I wasn't going to tear up. And then yeah, when your brother was talking, it was and you're that was that was touching.
Speaker 5: Very the whole the whole story was very touching.
Speaker 1: But I want to I want to hear from all of y'all about the part that like got you the most. And I'll start I'll be number two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've already done it, and I want to.
Speaker 1: Accentuate this a little bit more. But when I talked about your dad and the impact, the three points of impact when he screamed and you kind of came back when he prayed for the ambulance to start back up and it did. Yeah, And then hearing Ricky talk about him praying in the hospital, you could just think that that was the first time the man had ever prayed, and I I know it wasn't though. I mean, and I think about this inside of my fatherhood. It's like you want to build your life in such a way that when you're called upon that you're you're ready. And I think a father has a inncessory power that and I called it patriarchal strength. It's a word that that that that we would use the strength of a father. And I know your mother was praying too, but you guys were talking about your dad. I mean, there's there's a unique there's a unique power inside of a mother just the same. But I was like, this wasn't the first time that this man had prayed for his boys. And I had another thought. I bet it wasn't the first time he'd prayed for a car, was it.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: Do you know if your dad I've prayed for a car before. I mean, I just I'm kind of.
Speaker 3: We prayed for my truck on the way home yesterday.
Speaker 1: No, I just uh. I mean, you guys talked so you could. You could hear it in your voice. You guys really loved your dad and had a lot of respect for him.
Speaker 2: He loved us. Yeah, Dad he was.
Speaker 9: I mean I've all told people, you know, my dad, if he would had a pointment with the president and one of us calls the dad, we need you, he had to tell the President you just want to wait on me.
Speaker 2: That's he He.
Speaker 9: Put his family above everything, you know. He he was a special fellow. If he was my dad, I think, you know, and you know he you know, his my grandfather, you know, he was an alcoholic. So my dad tried very much to break that, you know. And they came from nothing, and he just put poured everything he had into his family. That was his main objective, you know. And I always I'll tell a lot of people, you know, I hope what I do try to do something that would make him proud, you know. Even still he's been gone for fifteen years, and I still hope that he'll be pleased with what I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, his his his legacy came through in this. For me, hearing this story the way that I did, it really.
Speaker 3: Didn't he saw it in Jason Ricky And you know, I talked to Eric quite a bit, and I mean they just they talk about their grandfather or with with a lot of respect and and I feel like that has impacted who they are, you know what I mean, Their kids would say the same thing about them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what point, Brent would if if you cried? You don't have to tell us if you did.
Speaker 2: I'm not ashamed of it.
Speaker 1: I did several times. What what what stood out that when you're your your dad.
Speaker 2: And that's gonna be hard for me not to do it right now. So mm hmm, you never.
Speaker 7: I told somebody just the other day that you never know how much your daddy loves you until you hold one of your kids. And that's when I figured it out. And I thought about what you when you heard your daddy, and I could feel I could feel what your daddy was feeling somewhat in just the description, and I thought, boy, he may have knew how much his daddy loved him before he had kids. And that was something that got me. And it's an incredible story and uplifting story, even though I'm trying not to cry. It's there's there's so much trauma in it, but there's so much goodness that come out of it. And you are not only blessed, my friend, but you are a blessing to a lot of people.
Speaker 2: That's all I got.
Speaker 5: It's a good thing to have.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think about you saying that all those years you didn't you didn't think you could speak publicly, and then I think this is this is that yeah you know? I mean, yeah, you have, you have and it has impacted a lot of people. I've got messages, countless messages in the last thirty eight hours, ye of Peter saying wow, ye, this story was so impacting, so thank you for real. I was thinking about this today when someone comes. I don't know. The real heroes of of what we do here are the people that we interview. Yes, I mean really, anytime I have somebody that's been on of one of our episodes, I feel like I'm in the presence of a celebrity. I really do. Like when you were coming, I was like, man, Jason Dean's coming here, you know, because these stories carry power and they they're real life. They're not they're not fabricated. There. It's not a movie, it's not a book. It's not a fictitious story there. It's real. And you did all this stuff with no intention for any kind of anybody patting you on the back or anything.
Speaker 6: It's just it's just.
Speaker 1: Life is just what happened, you know. And then and then you know, the story is accentuated because of the people that were around you, your dad and your brother, and then you know John Clemen's side of it, and many people I'm sure that we didn't even hear about, you know, I mean, family and what happened. But but it just a just a powerful story, Josh, what stood out?
Speaker 3: What's I think? I think one of the spots that that got me was I posted it on Instagram, that clip where Jason's laying there and and Dave says, I gotta go get help and Jason says, no, don't leave because I don't want to die alone. And I think the thing that hit me about that was the fact that I think it was the fact that Jason it shows the character of Jason to be like, Hey, I don't want to be alone. I have I'm happy to spend my last moments with the guy that killed me, you know what I mean. That's like, I think that shows the redemptive nature of this whole thing, you know what I mean? When when Jason is like, there's nothing, I'm not bitter and what what did you you told your dad? Like you told your dad either way I win.
Speaker 2: I'm a winner either way.
Speaker 9: I told Wow, at seventeen, you said they you know I could hear, you know, I was under eighteen. So Dad, when they're coming to me. Then they got me out of the amulets, immediately took me into the operating room in that trauma unit and I'm there and the nurses are you know, they're shaving my chest to prepare me for surgery. And the doctor name was doctor Brackett, and I could hear him talking to my dad and he told him said, you know this is under this situation, I want you to see your son before we sedate him, because I'm not going to sugarcoat or every I don't fee exactly how he said it, but he said he's it's bad. And he said, I need you to say And Dad was signing a consent paper for them to do that because I'm a minor. He said, you know, would you, you know, allow us to try to help him. I you know, I'd love I'll try and do all I can. And I can hear them and they're come up and on my right shoulder, and I got Dad and he come up to me and he told him, said do any whatever you can do, do anything you can do, and I wrench you up and got Dad's hated. I say, at that time, I felt like I couldn't have mashed a little ink together, you know, But I got him and I just put every ounce I had because I'm wanting my dad not to be worried, you know, And I just squeezed his hand with all the them strength I had in me, and I said, see there, I got plenty left. Don't you worry about me. I'll be a winter either way. And he just fell down right there. They had to help him. He got plumb on his knees, you know. And uh so then you know, they took him out of there, and here I am.
Speaker 1: So you know, we could have made a whole episode about how you guys handled Dave. Yeah, I mean, and I hope it came through. It's like, and it did come through, but just I mean, there's a lot of other versions of the story that wouldn't necessarily have been wrong. I mean, it's not like it wouldn't have been wrong to have been really upset with the guy, and I know you probably were. But the way that y'all your dad handled him, the way that you handled him, just exemplified forgiveness and and just in a really unique way.
Speaker 9: I thought, Yeah, my dad, he'd said that at first he kind of did have some which, I mean, you.
Speaker 2: See, your child already been mad.
Speaker 9: He was said he was angry, but he said he started trying praying for me to get to be okay. He say, like, he said, nhuh, you gotta have to forgive. You gotta forgive with that bitterness that you know. And Beatty said, he just let it go right immediately because he's.
Speaker 1: Like right there, he just said that you were on the ground.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he said, he said it. This was like, you know, you can't pray for that and with the feeling you're having, and so he said that was his.
Speaker 1: Well, that's helped me remember the scripture that. I mean, that's a biblical truth, like if you have unforgiveness in your.
Speaker 3: Heart, I won't hear you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hear your prayer, he said.
Speaker 2: He just came over him, he said, ain't gonna work like that. Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, And I thought the story's really redemptive about him as well. Just I don't I don't know that, you know, I heard what was on the podcast, but to me, it just seemed like even just experiencing that kind of giveness, like him saying that he wanted y'all to treat him.
Speaker 5: It'd have been a lot easier if you had been treated poorly.
Speaker 2: Dave. He was a super good yuy.
Speaker 9: I mean, he really was a lot of fun to be with, and he was really just I say, everybody, you know, some mistakes don't have that kind of consequence, but we all we all make them.
Speaker 7: So I didn't realize it until just now that I didn't finish that podcast and.
Speaker 2: That I was mad at Dave.
Speaker 7: I wasn't, and I just I guess I just now realized that we're sitting there talking about it. I didn't have a bad taste in my mouth about Dave.
Speaker 9: Well, I always said, like Dad, they asked me when I came to he kind of asked me, and I said, look, had he not helped me and been man enough to own up to it, he could have walked away and left me. They may would have never known, right, But you know that's what I told him. I said, he corrected the mistake as soon as he went to get me help.
Speaker 1: Well, they could have advocating for Dave. I mean, when you're laying there in the hospital bed.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because I mean I was you know, he you know, he is man enough to go and get the help, and you know, I mean.
Speaker 1: I mean there's a version of the story that would have been fair to have said, you know, I forgive Dave, but we're gonna press charges and we're gonna try to get a you know, yeah, and whatever would it happened to him. I mean, I just think it's it's just so powerful that y'all were just like it's fine, Yeah, we forgive him. Yeah, I mean really is it really is?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 6: I thought whenever the part where you the river where your grandma's on the other side and your dad like called you out of it almost with his yell, I thought that that was really powerful. How it was, like, I don't notice the way you described it almost I mean it felt like you had in some ways you had control of whether or not you you went across the river you didn't, but then like it was it was kind of like a between you and your dad. It was almost like he pulled you out, but you also were considering him and decided to like to pull out of it. But I thought that that was really powerful and just such a unique wild experienced to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you feel like if I mean, it's kind of an unanswered question about how much control that we would have, control that we would have inside of death.
Speaker 8: I mean like yeah, I mean like I wanted to interview those medics about why were y'all yelling at him.
Speaker 5: What do you know about that?
Speaker 8: Like you know that as it's almost like they've been trained to yell and to wake people up, as if people have some say in the right right some of your will and you know, your will, I mean, that's what dies when you die.
Speaker 5: You know, that's what These are the things.
Speaker 8: It's not just your physical you know, your heart beating, but it's your mind, your will, your emotions, those are the things that go and and they're appealing to that with those with with that. I thought that was very interesting that part of it.
Speaker 3: Jason. Did you when when you had that experience, did you have the feeling like I want to cross over to see her or did it just feel like it was the natural thing that was?
Speaker 9: It just felt I guess natural. I thought I would just you know, I think more of the naturally. Nothing that per sue that I really wanted, But I just felt like that I was that close.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It makes me think about just how we were talking about your dad, Like if he hadn't built the level of relationship with you that he had, there might not have been that impetus. So like I gotta go back because Dad's calling me.
Speaker 2: You know, I would definitely say that's true. Wow, mm hmm, yeah, m hm.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm, well mm hmmm mmm. You know, I don't even know what to say. Yeah, it was, it was, it was. It was such a surprising story when we first when I first heard about it, I mean, Eric just gave me like a paragraph, you know, so there's no details. He just told me. He said, there's some interesting details. That's what he said. And so as I again Josh, Josh was the one who went to Georgia, and uh so I'm listening to it for the first time on this computer right here, and I was just like, whoa out about the experience? Wow to seventy oh gosh wearing Hunter's orange.
Speaker 2: Whoa?
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh, you know, inch from the heart.
Speaker 1: And then and then the and then the ambulance breaks down. Whoa and then as ten breaks down. Yeah, the story just keeps getting better and the and then you know, the dad praise and they forgive this guy. Uh an old outlaw saves the day. I mean, I was like, this can't get any better.
Speaker 3: If this isn't Bear greasy, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 7: Isn't it through in case knives?
Speaker 3: And he was wearing boots.
Speaker 1: And Brent wants to know where those turkeys were.
Speaker 7: Yeah, asking for a friend.
Speaker 1: Oh no, go well yeah, well, thank you so much for coming all the way to Arkansas Global Headquarters and we we didn't get to go to the COVID store today. Oh okay, Well we're going to give Jason the pair to Covi's boots of your choosing. Okay, and you you can go. You can go online and check it out out. And they got a bunch of them. These are the cobs right here. I love these. These are I usually wear cowboy boots. But I got a pair of lace ups too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But no, they got all kinds of stuff. But we want to give that to you.
Speaker 9: Well, I appreciate it, but that's not necessary either. I'm just by id said before. If anybody could get a blessing, that's good enough for me.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the.
Speaker 5: Mission accomplished.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know they did.
Speaker 3: Brent.
Speaker 1: What's what's next for you?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: What are you up to?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: I'm still turkey hunting a little bit. I'm gonna run out to Pennsylvania hunt with the Case boys out there, and then in June heading up to Alaska, Saskatchewan I gonna chase the old black bear.
Speaker 1: Are you really?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Where you're going?
Speaker 7: Yeah, up next to the Fond de Locke or Fond de Lac river, way up there. Me and Dave Garner gonna do a little movie shooting up there.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: Will that'd be a twelve twenty six, twenty seven, twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven nice next year? I wish Clay could go. You can, for okay, get in that secon right over there, and so okay, I'm gonna do a little bear hunting, a little bear hunting, little turkey hunting.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, in that order.
Speaker 1: Bear, what's next for you?
Speaker 6: Well, we got a bear hunt coming up pretty soon, last week of May, headed up to Alaska.
Speaker 2: Oh, y'all going for ago?
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 6: You'll take three weeks the old self bows playing right now?
Speaker 2: M m.
Speaker 7: That way you get a lot, yeah, exactly for the other.
Speaker 3: Well that will the arrow that you're shooting be made out of a toilet?
Speaker 6: No, we'll not, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what you need to do is kill one with a toilet mode.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know about that. I would almost feel bad.
Speaker 5: About that story. You know, someone that wants.
Speaker 6: I feel bad about an animal's life being.
Speaker 1: Taken, disspect, ultimately down. All right, Well, anything else you'd like to say, Jason, We're I feel like we're we're leaving a lot on the table. But we we talked, we talked, I mean, we talked.
Speaker 2: About a lot we did. I'm good.
Speaker 1: I just shout out to the family back in Hell and Georgia.
Speaker 5: Shout out to the story.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Eric, Eric, Yeah, thankful for Tammy and the girls they helping with jay Lee where I could come and thankful for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: Folks want to buy a car where they need to go.
Speaker 10: Make come see me, George, your car, Talk to Jason, come see me.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, keep the wild places wild, because that's where the bears live.
Speaker 2: Shure h