Speaker 1: Does the meat need to be submerged? It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: Thing.
Speaker 1: Wow, what I have finally, after the suggestion coming to me from friends, family, co workers and listeners for years as a single parent trying to figure out how to feed my kids, as a guy who can't cook, I.
Speaker 2: Have finally.
Speaker 1: Finally opened up the box, gotten out the crock pot and put something. Wow.
Speaker 2: How long was it? Just stating?
Speaker 1: Just stating in it?
Speaker 2: I mean it's been a decade, right, I've had a few.
Speaker 1: I think I got one for when I got married. Well, now we use that one, so I huh, they gave it to you.
Speaker 2: That one.
Speaker 1: We used a lot, a lot. I washed that thing a million times, which is fine. Stuffing a crock pot's good. I can't believe I'm just getting around to it. And I'll tell you what chat GPT is usual. Chatbots helping a lot. It had all the most Like I said, I want, I want to have roast beef like my mom made it. I'm just picturing a plate of roast beef with ketchup on it that you know, just falls apart under your fork. Roast beef with the potatoes. It's so good. And it told me.
Speaker 2: How to pip on roast beef.
Speaker 1: You you don't.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's so good. Oh.
Speaker 1: Anyway, according to chat GPT, that's a common beginner's mistake thinking that the the meat needs to be submerged because the amount of broth that I put in there, the meat's sticking out over the top of it. And it said, no, no, no, if you haven't completely covered, it'll ruin it. But that's a common beginner mistake. I said, how about the potatoes. They're not submerged either. No, that's perfectly fine. It cooks an a combination of the liquid and the steam and the heat and everything in there for eight to ten hours. So anyway, one thought that I was having and if if this turns out even close to the stuff that the way my mom made it, which was probably if I asked her, she'd probably say, yeah, that's something I threw together on busy days because it was so dang easy and it takes no you know, skiller time. But it's so delicious. I can't believe I'm just getting around to trying it now.
Speaker 2: Are we talking like a pot roast? Yeah? Pot roast, yeah, corn, carrots.
Speaker 1: And potatoes that I threw in there. And you know onion soup mix on top, and it's going to come out delicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See to me, the only sauce needed is the sauce, yea, the broth. The fixen's there? What do you call it?
Speaker 1: The juice? Yes, Michael, you gotta try a pork line.
Speaker 2: Pork lines are great in crackpots.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna try all kinds of things if this works out. Can I just throw a fish in her like it's head on and its tail and everything you could. I was thinking about the.
Speaker 2: You can throw a dead cat there if you wanted.
Speaker 1: Oh, tender was right off the tail.
Speaker 2: You gotta slow cook it.
Speaker 1: Huh ah, This mouser is tender.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 1: What's your like among your favorite things that your mom used to make? Because I'm thinking about I'm trying to do a better job of cook for my kids. And roast roast beef and the crock pots one of the things my mom would make that was so good.
Speaker 3: I know you and I agree on this. I gotta go right to the meat loaf. I have never understood jokes about meat loaf. Maybe it was my mom made really good meat loaf, and my wife makes really good meat loaf.
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, that's it. One of the top items in the food pyramid. To me, it's delicious.
Speaker 1: How much talent involved in a meat loaf? Because I was thinking about, like some of the stuff I love, I just.
Speaker 2: Got to make sure it's not dried out.
Speaker 1: I loved my mom's fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. But I'm not gonna be able to make that.
Speaker 2: I just I'm just taught m.
Speaker 1: Meat loaf. Possibly, yes, Michael.
Speaker 3: See the beautiful thing about meat loaf before Michael steps up, is that, uh, it's fabulous for dinner and Little Worcester shear sauce and yeah, I indulgent a little ketchup in that hypocrite.
Speaker 2: You're right guilty.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: But then the next day it's even freaking better on a sandwich, a meat loaf sandwich. I'm drooling like a dog over here just thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Michael, That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: It's better the next day I caught that sick.
Speaker 1: Oh what did your mom make that you really liked? Michael, Lasagna really good? That requires talent. Also, I have no talent.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, it's there's not much to it. You just it's layers it's just layers. You gotta cook the noodles, but.
Speaker 1: Don't say noodles. You're finally. Italians don't like the word noodles. Noodles is a pasta.
Speaker 2: Gotta I cooked the pasta. That's right for the gabba.
Speaker 1: I've said this on the air many, many times. My biggest failing, absolutely as a single parent, has been the providing meals for my kids. I just I've never cooked. I don't like it. I know a lot of people really love it. I hate it, and I've never done it. So i'm and I'm unwilling to learn.
Speaker 3: Would you got to have a living cooking maid like Alice from the Brady Bunch?
Speaker 2: I should have.
Speaker 1: I did have an all pair for a summer and a sitter who needed someplace to live, and I had an empty bedroom, so I said, live here and I won't charge you to sit. So that was my all pair. But she is from a foreign land and her food smelled horrible, so I never asked her to cook.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, what foreign land, you will want to say.
Speaker 1: Don't I wouldn't ask her to park my car?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: Wow that's leaves several choices, but close enough. Ah, yeah, yeah, I liked it the homes of folks from other cultures and immediately been overwhelmed by the cooking smells and not in a good way either, Right, Yeah, and I would probably enjoy but it's like.
Speaker 1: Open the windows. It smells horrible. We need to call a plumber. Something has gone wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somebody did put a cat in a crocknot.
Speaker 2: A smell run here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I would like to recreate some of the stuff that I really really enjoyed as a kid, and definitely the crock pot meals. I can do that.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what you I don't know. You know how cooperative your your older boy is these days.
Speaker 3: But lasagna, if the three of you divide it up, you know you're the head of the pasta committee. You're dealing with the sauce, which frankly.
Speaker 2: Can be pouring it out of a jar. And that's fine.
Speaker 1: Jar sauce is so much better than it used to be.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and then somebody browns the meat or whatever. You can go sasage, you can go ground beef, you can go vegetarian if you know you got limp, wrists or whatever.
Speaker 2: Many choices and that's genies. You gotta have the ricata.
Speaker 1: Speaking of my older son, last night, he came home. He's out with some of his friends, and he came home and there was a car out front and I said, who's that and he said, oh, it's He named his two friends. He said, we're gonna go do some stuff. And they were laughing in there at the music playing, and I was thinking, oh my god, this is the summer between his sophomore and junior year or high school. Three guys headed out into the night. Does it get any better than that?
Speaker 2: Oh? Not in my recollection. I don't know what they.
Speaker 1: Did or what they were going to do or hoping to do. But yeah, those are some pretty good times in your life. I was happy for him that he's getting to have them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here here, Yeah, good times. You've made me win full.
Speaker 1: Don't let your meat loaf, don't let your hot dog stand, don't let your wristwatch all good suggestions.
Speaker 3: Right right, Jack, gets yourself a fryer so you can make that fried chicken.
Speaker 1: I don't see myself doing that. Just pop it right in like a lot of work. Well you just throw it in there, Yeah, you just throw it in there. And out comes fried chicken.
Speaker 3: I find that her to believe you got a battered the thing right, the chicken you have breading on there, Michael, do you have any idea what you're talking about about?
Speaker 1: Well, I just I hate to see him be so defeated over food.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because it's not that hard, but uncertainty. It's funny.
Speaker 1: I'm very, very slow at prep and my wife is very you're missing pardon.
Speaker 2: Me your missing plot.
Speaker 3: It has been acting up lately. I'm taking an anti inflammatory, but uh, but she is less so now, but really hesitant about cooking meat because she's afraid she won't get it right. And fish, really afraid to cook fish. And I'm like, I'll be fine, I'll cook it. So you know, we're like Jack Spratt and his uh and his wife. A lot of hesitancy to cook is uncertainty of how it's gonna come out. Generally, it'll come out okay, you'll learn something, it'll be better the next time, nobody will die.
Speaker 1: Probably my hesitancy is I just hate it. I don't understand people liking to cook.
Speaker 2: There's why do you hate it? That's what I'm trying to get behind.
Speaker 1: There's not one tiny aspect of the process, fear fear. I don't think overcome the fear. It seems like a lot of work for a little payoff. I think it's because I don't enjoy eating enough. I think that might be it.
Speaker 2: And yet you eat like a grizzly bear. Man, I can have a hot contradictions.
Speaker 1: With mustard every night for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, Well, cook out, I'll talk. Then, Well, I guess that's it.