Speaker 1: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome to The Philly Show with Ruben Amar Junior Jim Salisbury. I am Todd.
Speaker 1: Solecki, the Phillies Fellows.
Speaker 2: Uh just had an eight and two homestand but that is not why I'm excited. I'm excited, very excited because we have a pretty sweet logo.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on you, if you're watching on YouTube, you just saw a kind of float across the screen. It's gonna be everywhere now. I mean, you guys gotta be pumped. This is pretty cool. I feel like I feel like we went from like a Banana Republic podcast to like a legitimate podcast.
Speaker 1: Now we have a really really awesome logo.
Speaker 4: What do you guys, Todd, you got some nice blue hair.
Speaker 3: That's right, look good.
Speaker 2: I love it. I think it's so cool. So I gotta tell you a story. We got to give a shout out to Pat Kritz. He works at Thought Thought Tub and he reached out after the first or second episode, And to be honest, like, we threw this thing kind of gether together at the last minute, and my wife Ryan, I said, I'm in a panic. I'm like, we got to get this thing up on Apple, we have to have a logo, and she's like, well, how are you gonna do that?
Speaker 1: I said, I don't know.
Speaker 2: So my wife, with a one year old hanging on her bangs out this really simple, basic logo just to get us up on all these podcasts. Then Pat reaches out and he says, I'm a huge Phillies fan. Not only am I a huge Phillies fan, but I also I'm a fan of Phillies reporters and broadcasters. I love Ruben, I love Jim, I love you. I went to Penn State. I've dabbled in some graphic design. I've done some things. Would you be interested in me designing a logo for you? So I'm like sure. I check out his website and I'm like, this dude is legit. If anybody's been down the Pen Up Butter Aisle at any supermarket and they've ever seen Justin's Peanut butter Almond butter peanut butter cups, this is the dude that designed it. And he said, I'm going to design you a logo, and uh, I think it's just great. I think it's really cool. I love us in the bullpen car. It's got a retro field. We're kind of retro. I think we're fun. It's got some fun vibes to it.
Speaker 3: I dig it. I think if it's man, that's this is really really cool. I mean, I love the color scheme. I love the car, man, I mean, the bullpen car is kidding me, it's so it's so choice. I love it, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: And I love the exhaust coming out the bat for you.
Speaker 3: Of course you would.
Speaker 2: We took the governor off the bullpen cart and now we're moting her along.
Speaker 1: So but anyway, I wanted to give a shout out to Pat.
Speaker 2: If you like the logo, let us know if you know, if you like it enough, and maybe we'll make some T shirts at some point. That would be kind of fun too, to be walking around some Philly Show T shirts with.
Speaker 3: The sweet there's some sweet swag ideas too, man, Yeah, yeah, sweet.
Speaker 1: Some sweet swag potentially down the road.
Speaker 2: So thank you, Pat again thought tub check them out at thought tub dot com. Guys, let's jump into this just completed homestand the Phillies Go eight and two. I look this up Best Phillies homestand of ten or more games since June of twenty eleven. They went nine and two in a homestand pretty impressive. They're fourteen and eight. They didn't get to be six games over five hundred last season until June twenty ninth, two years ago. They didn't get to six over until July eighth. And here are the other six games over five hundred. You know, when you guys look back at this homestand Jim, let's start with you, what what kind of stands out to you?
Speaker 4: What kind you know, real A bunch of stuff stands out you mess in twenty eleven homestand and I guess the common denominator is starting pitching. Obviously twenty eleven, the rotation that's very good, starting pitching on that team, and uh this you know they what do they put up a one to five e RA in this series in this.
Speaker 2: Home Yeah, are in the home stand, yes sir? Yeah, the starters, starters, the start and.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean carried uh two times, they carried no hitters.
Speaker 3: Deep.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of timely hitting. You know, we sort of Trey Turner really come alive. I mean, I think that really stood out. Kyle Schwarber. You know, look, I know people are gonna say, well, it was the White Sox and the Rockies, and the White Sox is just brutal and the Rockies are very bad. But you there'll be tougher tests. There will be tougher tests, but you can only pass the one on your desk that that day or it presented to you that day. So I think they passed it. Eight and two. They passed it obviously in flying collars. So you know, to be what five what are they five over five hundred now.
Speaker 2: Six six or fourteen eight?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, goodbye slow start talk right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no more slow start start talk. And you know, when you look at the uh, you start looking at you know, what kind of schedule you have before the season starts. You look at some of these teams and you think to yourself, well, Colorado doesn't look like a real strong team. You got the White Sox coming in and they're rebuilding, so we got a chance to make some Hey. But the reality of it is, I mean you really have to play good baseball to do it. I mean it's still they're still major league teams. They're not. It's not chock full of talenty. They're one of these teams. But to go back to back sweeps. I mean that's almost impossible to do. You just don't do that often. And and I you know, I'm always and you guys know this, but I'm always about the starting pitching. It was just dominant. I mean they really they pounded the strike zone. They didn't off people. They you know, they pitched. It wasn't like they were dominating with you know, one hundred mile an hour fastballs and you know, ninety seven mile an hour cutters or sliders. They were pitching. Everybody in the rotation was pitching. Nola, Wheeler, Sanchez, Suarez was outstanding, I mean Turnbull, I mean all of them. And they pitched really, really well, and it's a it's a really good sign for the team. You don't know how healthy they're going to be. You don't know how factor they're going to continue to be. They're going to face tougher teams here here in Cincinnati coming up, and then they got to go to San Diego in LA. It's going to be a tough road trip. But they did make some great hay and I think they had contributions offensively from everybody. I mean, Alec Boehm had huge contributions. Even Harper had some base hits and some walks. Swarburg got on base, he had a couple of homers. You know, there's just a lot of you talked about Turner. He's just red hot. But it's uh, it's it bodes very very well for this ball club because they got a chance to you know, they had a chance to make some hay and they did it.
Speaker 4: Another little thing that another little thing that jumped out of me real quick was their work in the first inning.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know they're first at bat. You know, they fall down today and by two runs early Noliga is of the two and they come right back with three. It seems like they jumped out to so many early leads or retook the momentum immediately. You know, Schwarber with the leadoff home run the other night. They're you know, their numbers in the first inning as a team, schwarbro Is are incredible in the first inning. But you know, as a team, you know, they're they're in the top three or four in like every major offensive car category in the first inning, and they're just getting to these early starts and kind of riding that. Have you noticed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I've definitely noticed that. And I think today.
Speaker 2: It was a great example of it. You know, to see them Noah gives up that that two run home run and to see the Phillies come back and score three. Uh, they got a little bit of a gift there on that double steal. That kind of but but those are the those are the things that kind of go your way. I guess when you're when you're playing well. But I think it's a team that is you knew was going to score runs, and they show that they are going to score runs. And now, like like Rubin said, they just have to kind of keep it going through the on this next upcoming road trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you talked about the slug. You know, how come they're not slugging? You know, it was the first part they really did not get enough. I honestly believe this, and we've talked about it as plenty and I don't think they got enough reps. And now they've gotten enough reps and they're starting to screwing the bats and the slug is coming. I mean, these guys are just too good. They're there. Their talent is just too great. And uh, and it's nice to see them, you know. You know, if you're a Philly fan. It's nice to see him doing some serious dam The other thing that I will talk about a little bit is their defense. Their infield defense has gotten better. Alec Bohma is playing a very good third base. He did have like one air one or two airs, but he's played very very well defensively. He's gotten better and better. There's a lot of questions about whether the guy could even play third base on an everyday basis on a championship Calver club, but he can do it, and he's gotten better and better. His confidence is rising, and he's becoming at least an adequate or average third basement at this point, Trey Turner has improved a lot. I know, he struggled quite a bit last year, and he's starting to secure the baseball better. And stat's always been good. And you know what Harper's learning. I mean, he made a lot of diving plays. He picked a couple of balls today in the game or in the game on Sunday, And I mean he's starting to learn the position pretty well at first base. And the then obviously you got Johann you know, you got Johann Rojas doing doing, you know, amazing things in center field. It up really nicely defensively, and uh, and that's been an impressive part of the sort of the transition and what they've done. Dave Dombrowski and Sample and whoever else is in charge of sort of remapping that because two or three years ago we're like, this defense can't get it done, and they're playing pretty darn well right now.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you're seeing, you know, the pitchers that we talked about, the starting pitcher of the one five to one era, and I think just over all the season, I think they have the second best ear in baseball Philly starters, behind only the Red Sox.
Speaker 1: And a lot of that has to do with the defense.
Speaker 2: You know. It's like Zach Wheeler last season, I think he could have been in a stronger position to win the sag Or if he got a little bit of better.
Speaker 1: Defense the first two or three months of the season.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Zach Wheeler, I was wondering when it got to the seventh eighth inning last night. We were sitting there going like, how what what is Rob Thompson thinking right now? Because I'm sure he was nervous, right, I mean, he said he was gonna let me go to one twenty.
Speaker 1: But man, I wonder if you would is gonna let him.
Speaker 3: Finish that game if it got to that point in.
Speaker 4: The night before as well, or was it Friday night Turnbull? These guys carrying these deep no hitters, and it's early, it's chili. You're monitoring pitch counts, especially on a guy like Turnbull who's coming back, you know, he's a couple of years removed from the surgery, Especially on a guy like Wheeler, who you know, it's chili right, It's it's cold right now. Uh, they're pitching kind of chili weather. Well, you want Wheeler to pitch in chili weather again in six months, you know you you want them to, you know, if you can nip and tuck and save a bullet or two. That's why today Sunday I had no problem with Rob getting Nola, you know, with a sizeable lead, you know, a complete game. And it's great and it's nice, and we love them. We kind of at times long for the past when they were you know, they occurred with more regularity. But there's nothing wrong with saving a few bullets for the for the for the holy month October.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, so, so Rob was saying that before the game, and after the game is like, I I'm trying, I'm dying to get some of these relievers some work because they haven't pitched in a few days. So after the game I talked to Jeff Hoffman just for a few seconds, I said, out of curiosity, are you guys sitting in the in the bullpen after being worked so hard the first twelve games of the season going, Man, I could really you know, they're almost pitching too good right now because now we're not pitching. And he said, actually, we were kind of joking about it, like, man, could we get some innings here please? And then Jeff and I guess some of the other veterans told Ryan Kirkan like, enjoy this while it lasts, cause you don't know if it will happen again this season, because at some point, you know, we're gonna be going, oh my gosh, could we please just get like a day or two in a row where we're not working our butts off. So they're enjoying it right now. They they want to stay sharp, of course, but they enjoyed this little ten day break.
Speaker 3: They got no doubt. And in this day and age, you start talking about some of the bullpens and they're eating up almost forty or fifty percent of the innings. And when you're doing that, you're putting so much heat on those guys, and that's why it's tougher to go back to back early, you know, with guys. And you know why are you're not going back to back well, because you haven't gotten your starters past the fifth inning. And so that's the beauty of the domino effect of what this means to these guys long term. If they can put a couple of these in a row, or you know, two out of the three next starts for each one of these guys can get into the sixth and seventh inning consistently, Boy oh boy, does that say these guys later on?
Speaker 4: They've done a very very good job keeping their starters healthy over the last few years.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Paul Bukaid is a guy that came over from the Boston Red Sox. I mean, you know, it's interesting, what you know, we're one of the very first thing. You know, Paul was over there when I was a coach, and one of the very first things that I wanted to do with my outfielders was to do long toss and it was like the first time he had heard that from a coach in like the longest time with my out with the outfielders, and he was like, thank god, Ruben, thank god, I finally got somebody who wants to throw long toss. And it's like, you know, Paul's got sort of that old school mentality that you know, you gotta you gotta take care of your arm by working your arm and building it and and I think that that's sort of you know, his mentality too.
Speaker 2: Did you see, guys see the smile and Nick Cassianis's face on Saturday when he tripled, It was like the entire weight of the world was lifted off his shoulders. I know he went hitless in the series finale on Sunday, but you know, maybe that gets them going a little bit. Three hits on Saturday night. Have you guys seen better at bats for him? Is there any reason to be optimistic he's going to since Sinnati this week he's had he had a great couple of years in Cincinnati. He's comfortable there. Yes, I mean, maybe maybe this is the week. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like he's definitely getting closer. You know, the track record has been too good to not think it's going to come. And you know, Cincinnati, like you mentioned, uh, give him a positive vibe, good ballpark to hit him. I just feel like it's really close for him. You know, he's a guy a couple of good games and confidence in building, and I think he can ride that.
Speaker 3: So so I did a little bit of a breakdown on NBC Sports during the during the pregame on the game on Saturday, excuse me on Sunday today, And what was pretty cool about it was that, you know, one of the things that I saw with him was he was his lower half was really turned at his setup so that he was almost had his you know, his left hip was almost pointing towards the umpire. He was that far turned. And I felt like, just like in any other just again, any other hitter or pitcher, if you're not going if you're going too far east west like rotationally, you're not staying behind the ball, especially as a hitter, not staying behind the ball, and you're not working through the middle of the field. And that's one of the things that he does extremely well is drive the ball the opposite way. He's one of the better right handed hitters to do that over the last several years, and that's why that's why he's making a big money. But I think what I did in the breakdown was that over the last couple of games, he's not nearly as rotational. He's almost straight on now. And instead of going you know, this way to get his bat head and to get his body in position to make contact, there's a no margin. There's no real margin prayer. He's sort of going straight or towards the ball, working behind it and through it, and I just think bats have been better. I don't know if that was by design. I don't know if kay Long they hit a coach was working on that specifically, but it's something that I really noticed. I mean, he's really twisted up before, and he seems a little bit more straight on now.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds like I it was about a week ago.
Speaker 2: I talked with Kevin Long and he said that they told him they stopped talking about chase rates.
Speaker 3: And all that stuff.
Speaker 2: They he said that maybe he said it might have ended in spring training. I'm not sure when they you know, he's last been told about his chase rates, but it seems like that that phrase has not been uttered nearly as much over the past, over the.
Speaker 3: Past couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: While we were talking about the rotation, and we talked about this last time. But now Spencer Turnbull takes a no hitter in the seventh inning, and man, I mean, I we know what's going to happen, right, I mean, but.
Speaker 1: You know, is there any do you.
Speaker 2: Guys have any other thoughts on how to handle this? And you know it's got to be Turnbull to the to the bullpen and Walker to start me. Walker made his final rehab start today in Scranton six and the third four runs, four earned fastball average eighty nine point five. I don't know how much effort he was putting into it. Maybe he was kind of like a final tune up, But I think I.
Speaker 4: Think they got to find out about him, and why not sooner than later. He's ready find out. And you protect Turnbull a little bit because he hasn't pitched a ton in the last couple of years, and you know he's still there. He'll help you as a long man in some way, shape or form. And all these guys are going to get the opportunity to contribute. It's just whether or not they actually do so. You know, all eyes are going to be on Taiwan. He's gonna have to have to deliver a little bit. But I think he deserves that chance because one hundred and seventy two innings was really meaningful for that team last year.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah, I think the Jim, if I put my GM hat on, I mean, you got to give the guy a answers, Jim said, and and basically it at some point, it's gonna become a performance based thing. If he's not pitching well in like four or five or six starts, he got to kind of give him a little bit of leash. Uh. And also kind of depends if the team's playing well. If the team's playing well and then they don't and he's eating up innings, and that factors in a little bit too. I do know, just knowing Dave Dombrowski, at some point, if he's not doing his job, Dave's gonna make a change. Dave's not afraid, you know, Dave and UH and Rob Thompson, I mean they're not afraid to make Especially Dave is not afraid to, you know, put the best guys out there. But I think he needs to get an opportunity to do that. I think he deserves it. There's a reason why they signed him to that contract, and and we'll see, we'll kind of go from there. It's uh, you know, Jim Figos, he used to say this all the time, man, and these things. They have a way of working themselves out and and I think this is going to be the case.
Speaker 4: And as the Phillies Sco eight and two at home, I think the Mets and the Braves are both on an eight and too ye too Barner heater, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, they're they're they're they're playing great. Man. The Mets are really surprising, was a Carlos Mendoza, the new manager there is setting a totally different tone in the clubhouse. It's a different clubhouse now. I think their guys are sort of on the same page. They're playing good baseball. You're de Martate sterling Mortes. Sterling Morte is playing well. He had a very poor, difficult year last year and some injuries. They're playing pretty darn good baseball. And I guess Lindora hasn't done a whole lot so far. I know they lost their catcher, which is a big, big one. That was a tough one for him, But hey, this is a this it's pretty exciting for the for the Mets fans, I mean, it's good and it's good for the division. I mean, you would think that Atlanta and Philadelphia would be the once and at the end of the day they probably will be. But it's pretty cool to see the Mets staying in there when even with Cody's Cody Sanga not not really pitching. You know, he's hurt right now too.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Braves, would you know they lose Sean Murphy and Travis Darnaut, It's what two home runs each of the last two games. I mean, it's just like it's it's such a Braves thing. They have all that incredible depth and just they keep chugging along. Spencer Strider is not pitching, they keep chugging along. Man, they find a way to get it done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've got a great team. It's a very, very complete team. I think it's gonna end up being a really terrific race, especially if the Phillies starting pitching continues to go as it is, It's gonna be a hell of a race.
Speaker 4: Do you think, you know, opposing teams, the Braves, the Mets, other teams the Reds Phillies are going into play the Reds. Do you think they look at the Phillies and go, wow, you know they're hot, they're pitching staff is dealing, or do you think they actually say, well, look who they just beat up on? It are what?
Speaker 3: You know, we talk about it that, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Can only beat the team that you're playing that night. But what is it? What about from a player's perspective, Ruben, Do they way way that the fact that they've played weak opponents?
Speaker 3: You know, honestly, it depends on the makeup of those players and the makeup of that team. You know, if they're a confident bunch, they'll say, hey, you know what, we face these guys before we've raked them. I mean, we've done some damage against them. They're not. You know, it depends on like the whole mentality of the team and how confident they are, and you know, how confident you know the manager is. It's just like the tone that they have. But I did you know, these guys watch and they know and you know, I remember there was a time, you know when there's certain players that I played with, when a guy when a guy was coming in towns I go, man, I got no chance against this guy. I'm like, dude, I would look I would look at it, and I would go like that was Greg Jefferies. Jeffreys every once in a while, you know, he have tough well I can't believe. I don't know if he was half joking or what the deal was, But like, I never wanted to ever succumb to the pitcher. I always wanted to. I want to say to myself, you know what, if he got me last time, I'm gonna get him this time. And so I think it's a lot about the mentality of the You gotta have a little bravado, man. You gotta have a little Dave Winfield in that in that box. You gotta have a little Juan Soto in that about don't matter whether that it's Dwight Gooden out there pitching or it's uh Molly Putts. I mean it's it's it's it's a uh, you just sort of have to have the right mentality. I think it really depends on the makeup of the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder if like the Reds are sitting there because they played him earlier season. Man, they weren't even playing that great when we had him and maybe the Rockies and the White Sox breeze some new life. But it is funny though, you got, like I've seen this in my Twitter feed, people talking about, wow, they only beat that beat the two worst teams in baseball. But man, you gotta do that, you gotta do that. You know, last season, only eight teams finished the season with winning records against teams with winning records, you know, so it's not like it's hard to beat the winning teams.
Speaker 1: You have to beat these bad teams.
Speaker 2: And you know they didn't go for and too, they went six and oh and that you know, as bad as they are, they did everything that they needed to do, you know.
Speaker 1: But so this weekend, let's talk about this. These matchups here Monday, Ranger Suarez versus Hunter Green, Tuesday, Christopher Sanchez versus Andrew Abbott. Wednesday, Spencer Turnbull and probably his last start for a while. You could be back at some point versus Nicklodolo, and then the series finale on Thursday, Zach Wheeler versus Graham Ashcraft.
Speaker 3: Should be a good series.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Spencer Turnbull is just gonna keep making it a little interesting with another beauty in Cincinnati just keep adding to the drama.
Speaker 2: Is it's got Does that make things uncomfortable for Rob Thompson or does he just know that, listen, we have to do this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's not a big yeah right.
Speaker 4: I think he knows what he has to do. I think defensive Turnbull probably knows why he was signed here in what role and he if nothing else, these good starts he's had, I think solidifies his place on the roster and on the pitching staff and they know they have something there that that can help in a couple of different roles.
Speaker 3: It was interesting, it was it was cool to listen to to to him talk about you know, after his last start he said, hey, listen, I'm just grateful I'm getting opportunities and I'm pitching well, and he knows. I mean it was almost like his quotes were like, I know, I'm going to be back in the bullpen at some point probably, but he's grateful to be able to have this opportunity and a pitch with his team. He loves his teammates. I mean, he said all the right things. I mean, obviously for him personally, we'd love to take continue to take the ball and you got to love that. And he should be a little bit pissed off about not, you know, uh, take having that role taken away. But that's what you want out of the player. I mean, that's what you want. You want to fight, you want those little a little uh whatever and vinegar. But and you want that out of out of those players. And uh and that's okay. But again, you know, these things have a way of working themselves out, and uh, you know, it's just great. It's just a great signing man. When you start thinking about, you know, the pro scouting people and the people that had the decision of bringing him in on this contract, I mean he's sort of already paid for his contract with his contribution in one month, which is kind of crazy, but that's true. When you start thinking about breaking down, you know, wins and losses and what it costs to win a baseball game and what the value of that is, he's already sort of paid for his contract in his first you know, three or four starts.
Speaker 4: Ruben got any memories of Cincinnati when you're a player, plny big games? There any good games? You know what?
Speaker 3: Uh you know what I remember about Cincinnati? I remember way way back when I traveled when as a bat boy, traveling with the team, I remember like witnessing this is way back in uh I guess it was Riverfront is Riverfront Stadium, way back when, and thinking to myself and watching the bat boys because I always keyed on the bat boys back when I was a bat boys. See how they did their job right. They always had two guys sitting, one ball boy and one bat boy right there. Dude. They were the fastest, quickest, best bat boys in the world. I mean, boom, it was like clockwork. Boom boom, boom. I mean I got I was like, oh my god, I was in all of them. You know, they were just like robots. It was sure they did. I was like, man, I would never and I think I would thought to myself ever since that moment, as I set the tone for me, I was like, I'm not going to let these guys beat me. I'm gonna show these guys what kind of bat boy I am. I mean, I'm serious, man.
Speaker 4: Everything was you know back.
Speaker 3: In the day. You know they had uh, you know, George Foster and Conception. I mean, I had unbelievable teams. But but they did everything just so by the book man. It was just like clockwork, and I was That was the most impressive thing that I remember that. The only other story I will tell is that was kind of funny was when when I was a rumor that that I was going to become the assistant GM of the team, and I was still playing, and I think David Weathers was on the mound at Tobbins was behind the plate and it was like, I don't know, the eighth or ninth inning or something like that, and I and I had had a bad year that year, but boom, David Weathers comes in. I punch a base hit or double or something up the middle and scored. I drove in a run and aparently and Tommins he was like screaming at the plate when that Ren scored, like, I cannot believe that assistant GM just beat her ass. What the hell is going on? Here?
Speaker 4: Were you?
Speaker 3: You were?
Speaker 4: You were on the team in ninety eight, right, I was. Do you remember in the old stadium Mark Lewis was on the team. Yes, guys signed Mark Lewis for one year. He was from Cincinnati and his buddies were all sitting behind the dog.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, and one of them fell into the dugout.
Speaker 4: Mark Lewis todd there's a big.
Speaker 3: Fight.
Speaker 4: All his friends are getting a fight, and one of them tumbles into the dugout like head rest and he's like, he's you know, he's laid out on the dugout floor and Rex Hudgard goes over to him says, dude, don't roll over. Your head is right next to a giant loogie. There was a big there and looking his head out of the puddle of spit. And it was such a fun story to write because Oddler is so colorful, his quotes are great. He's described but Mark Lewis's buddies, one of his buddies fell into the dugout during the game, and it was unreal.
Speaker 2: Were they fighting each other or fighting somebody else?
Speaker 4: One of them selling the dugout.
Speaker 3: Buddy hurt, but I think they were cheering for the Phillies because he was Mark Lewis's buddy and against the Cincinnati guys. It was some kind of brawl and it literally fell.
Speaker 4: Over the dugout, over the dugout, down into the dugout and Brookie Bob brook Over when we're watching this from the press box and laughing, and we didn't know if something, sir, We were kind of laughing. We're looking down there, and Bob brook Over says, I come to a Reds game and Jerry Springer show breaks out and Hal McCoy from the Dayton Daily News used that quote and his lead of his story, Great Hall of Fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: Another great Cincinnati story. Jerry Krasnik, our good buddy, Jerry Krasnik is covering the team for the Cincinnati Post and during the March March shot or era, and he writes a critical story about Marge shot which really wasn't hard to do. She gets totally. She gets pissed off about this story that Jerry wrote and sees him in the media lunch room before the game the media dining room and throws his ass out, won't let him have dinner, throws him out of the media dining room. It gets better. Word gets down to the Red's clubhouse. They didn't like March very much.
Speaker 3: The players.
Speaker 4: Word gets down to the Reds clubhouse that Marge has thrown Jerry Krasnick out of the press, out of the press dining room. Tim Belcher orders him like a cheeseburger and a slice of pizza and he sends it up to the press box.
Speaker 3: No, that is great, it's funny. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I hope we get something that good this weekend.
Speaker 2: This week in Cincinnati, now nobody can fall into the dugout because they have the netting up, you know.
Speaker 4: I think it's a great thing.
Speaker 3: The two things. Two cities there that are great baseball cities, one of Cincinnati, the other one's Baltimore. I think that they're enjoying some good young players coming through their systems. I picked the Cincinnati Rants to win the Central Division this year and I picked the Orioles to win of the A L East. So but it's but it's cool to see, like, you know, the flavor of this city bounce back. I hope there's great crowds because it's got a chance to be a really good series here. I know it's I know it's early in the season and it's on a early weekday series, but hopefully it'll be out there in droves.
Speaker 4: It's would be a fun series. And you gotta love I think if you're a Phillies fan, you gotta love the idea that ranger against the ball in the first game because first game can be such a tone center.
Speaker 3: Yeah yep, especially for the bullpen. Right. They continue to save the bullpen even though they're rested.
Speaker 2: Well, guys, thanks so much. It should be a fun week. We'll check back later this week. Thank you everybody for listening to The Philly Show. Until next time.
Speaker 3: Smell you later, Ruben, I'll be smelling you. Jim loving to logo