Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature feature production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and today on this show, we're talking about animal stereotypes. The wise owl, the lazy sloth, and the courageous lion. How much do these animals live up to their names? Or should we not judge a book by its cover or a sloth by its algae? Discover this more as we answer the age old question is el Stupid? Joining me today is host of many podcasts at the un Pops podcast Network. Adam Todd Brown.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Hey, thank you for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I asked you what you were interested in talking about, and you told me you like sloths, and you've encountered some of them recently. H And you think owls are overrated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not a fan of owls. I think we could do without them. Know what they bring, They attack our hats, they killed Michael Peterson's wife, They're just they're just full of problems. Yeah, not a big fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that owl incident, the owl murder. So I assume you're in the pocket of big mouse. Uh in your anti owl stance. But I think the thing about owls is they are a symbol of wisdom, which is an interesting choice. I think when you are going to like, what bird would you pick instead as a symbol of wisdom, because I assume you're you don't really think too highly of owls as being the wise the bird of the wisdom.
Speaker 2: Didn't science decide a long time ago that crows are actually the smart bird.
Speaker 1: Crows are a smart bird. In fact, much of the corvid family is quite smart, including crows, magpies, New Caledonian crows, ravens. They are quite a smart family of birds. I would say parrots as well. They are seen as kind of goofballs, I guess, but they are extremely smart. The African gray parrot is one of the smartest birds in terms of its ability to learn words, and so yeah, I think that a lot like I would say the corvids and the parrots are probably among the smartest birds in the world.
Speaker 2: And see, owls seem like they just have a reputation, yeah, being smart, but we never get any evidence of it exactly.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Crows, Yeah, like I've read articles where they're like a crow can use a gun, but owls that they just turn their stupid head all the way around, turn it around. That's all they got.
Speaker 1: Falls off, they got to screw back in, you know. I mean I think that with well, get into the evidence actually in a little bit. But I think the rep that owls have for being wise just comes from Greek and Roman mythology of Athena and Minerva. It's that the Greek and Roman goddess of wisdom, she had an owl as her symbol, and she was often pictured with an owl like a little owl pet, like some kind of like Harry Potter situation minus the transphobia. But so I think that, like, I think owls just became affiliated with Athena, and thus people are like, well, the owl must be smart too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think so. I think it just flies, It flies and turns its stupid head around and yeah, attacks women when they're jogging.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean it is a that was one time, Adam, just one time. You're never gonna go let that owl live it down.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's it's a documented thing. It happens a whole lot owls. How owls have a tendency to mistake women's hair when it's up for a nest right, and they very often attack joggers especially. It's a very common thing.
Speaker 1: I'm not to victim blame, but don't put eggs in your hair. I would say that.
Speaker 2: That would probably cut back on the incident. So right if women would stop that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stop putting eggs in your hair, ladies.
Speaker 2: Fun women be putting eggs in their hair.
Speaker 1: Women be putting eggs in their hair. So the one of the theories in terms of why an owl became associated with Athena is that they a lot of these small owls just lived in Athens. They're actually called the Athenae owls. They're pretty cute, but there's no evidence there whyse they just happen to be there and people are like owl Athena. They're in Athens, so therefore Athena is associated with this owl. There's another theory that like Athena was based on an older goddess who was like just some goddess that had something to do with birds, and then it just sort of got, you know, grandfathered into the new goddess. There's a lot of branding that went on with the Greek and Roman gods and goddesses that I don't fully understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't know how a bird could be wise, just in general. Even if you're hanging out with a woman who was known to be extra smart, you're still just a bird. No one's ever gotten advice from an owl. No asking an owl of question.
Speaker 1: That kid did that kid did with the sucker on that topsy pop commercial, and look what he got, Look what he got.
Speaker 2: The owl lied to him.
Speaker 1: Owl lied to it. It is candy. He got nothing.
Speaker 2: That's what they do, that's what they did do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so let's let's actually take a look at owl and elligence, right, because there's there's there's studies so and also there are there are some things about owls that I think can give the impression of wisdom. But I would I'm actually cut like I like owls. I don't have an aversion to owls like you do. I'm not anti owl, but I just don't think they are particularly smart. But they are very interesting. So they have incredibly good eyesight. A small amount of light goes a very long way for them because they are nocturnal. I don't know why I said it, that noctarnal and they hunt at night and so their eyes are huge. You can actually if you look inside an owl ear, you can see the back of their eyeball sort of like through this like membrane which is part of the eyelids. So that's that's fun and I like that. I don't know, just like it's especially important for owls not to use Q tips because then they could poke their eye on.
Speaker 2: So they can't even use like the video thing that connects to your phone so.
Speaker 1: You can see. Yeah, if you go in, they're liable to just bonk right into that eyeball. So they cannot rotate their eyes at all in their sockets because they're too big. This is actually similar to a primate called the tarsier. It's this tiny primate native to Madagascar who also evolved eyes so huge that it cannot rotate them in its head and it has to swivel its head instead, and so it has this a lot of degrees of freedom with its neck that a lot of like most other mammals, most other primates do not have. And so you have this is kind of a you know, a similar evolutionary path that this primate took. And so yeah, the owls just can see real good at night. So you know, good for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good for them.
Speaker 1: Lots of animals can out, so they also have an addible sense of hearing. They have those big ear holes, and the feathers around their ears can help funnel the sound into their ears. Also their flat faces. They've got that flat face partially so that sound collects in their face and like kind of goes into their ears, like their faces a sound bowl. And so that's that's why they got that look, that flat face look, not just because they smack into windows all the time, which they do sometimes. I well, this wasn't an owl, but this is a raptor. It slammed into my window once dropped the quail that it had caught, and they looked so embarrassed because it saw that I saw it. Oh sure, yeah, it was very embarrassed. And so the ear holes are also asymmetrical on the owl, so one is higher than the other, which is an interesting feature because it allows the owl to triangulate where the sound is coming from. So the slight difference in time that the sound is hitting its ears allows it to pinpoint where this sound is coming from. So that really helps it find like a field mouse at night from very far away, So its brain is doing some pretty interesting immediate complex calculations in terms of you know, this difference in time delay and sound. But is that really wisdom? Right, Like we do a lot of that kind of innate instinctive calculations all the time. Is that wisdom? What do you think at them?
Speaker 2: No? I think that's just like an internal process. Humans do that also, you know, yeah, probably not to the same degree. But we don't have to hunt field mice and things of the light, so both that if we had to, we would evolve those same features as those stupid owls.
Speaker 1: Probably, yeah, exactly like that that little tiny primite. I mentioned that the tar sier it's got pretty owl for a primate, and so it You know, these are just features that when you are nocturnal and a predator and you are looking for little things that make little scratchy noises and you need to find them and hear them and see them, this is all pretty neat, right. The owls have some pretty amazing abilities. They can also fly very silently, so I think that those kinds of abilities might make them seem more clever than they actually are, so in terms of their ability to problem solve, right, which I feel like the closest test you're gonna get to, like is an animal wise is sort of testing its cognitive abilities, maybe learning puzzle solving abilities. So there are actually a couple studies that have looked into this. It's hard to test owls because there's just not like a ton of them in captivity. I guess that are available for testing.
Speaker 2: Rude, yeah, ude, yeah, owls.
Speaker 1: So there is a study that compares the performance of various raptors. So raptors being birds of prey, that in their ability to do something called the string pulled task, which is there's food on a string and the animal has to pull it to get to the food. Pretty easy puzzle, but still it requires a little bit of No. How sometimes they make the test even a little more tricky, right, like there's multiple strings and only one of them is attached to the food, you know, a puzzle. Sure, yeah, So there was this study called Raptors Natural History Influences their response to the String Pulled Task by Colby Smith and Aaron Colbert White. Okay, so a number of raptors were tested. There were vultures, hawks, and owls. The owls that were tested were a barn owl, a Western screech owl and an Eastern screech owl. So three owls. That's not a huge sample size, but you know they tried. So the study actually mentions each of these birds by name, which seems kind of like it violates some rules about data anonymization, like you could find this owl and be like, I know you sucked at this test, but yeah, their names are Tito Cyprus and we.
Speaker 2: Hamish Hamish we Hamish. Oh that's that's that's a name.
Speaker 1: Uh. Also, this was not an owl, but one of the turkey vultures tested was named Lord Richard and he absolutely killed it. He did great on the string poll task. He was a plus bird.
Speaker 2: Lord saw a turkey vulture in person long ago. It's a neat bird. They're neat stand in the trees and look at you.
Speaker 1: They look at you, but they're they're nice, you know, they just like to hang out and he scritch scritch. Yeah that stuff, so okay. Onto the owls. We Hamish, the Eastern screech owl, completely ignored the test during the first two trials. On the third trial, he grabbed the string and just kind of flew away, which I guess kind of solved it. But I mean, you know, it's not really going with the intention of the test.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, a little work around. Yeah, I mean I guess that's smart. Yeah of an owl?
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, good job we Hamish Cyprus. The Western screech owl was a little more clever. She took about twenty minutes to solve it, and she was able to pull on the string to get to the meat, and she became more efficient at it as the trials went on. She still wasn't as good as the Turkey vultures, but you know she did all right. Tito the barn owl just ignored uh it completely. He like glanced at the test apparatus once and just zoned out. No interest.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And was he paid? I bet he was paid.
Speaker 1: Still yeah, under the table probably so yeah. I mean, so the owls in this trial, like one of them did pretty well, one of them, I mean kind of got it on a technicality, and the third one didn't care, just no interest.
Speaker 2: Lowit.
Speaker 1: So there is another Another study conducted in twenty twelve in Russia by Obosova at All looked at great gray owls and compared their performance on the string poll task to corvids and some other bird species that I don't know. I'm not going to talk about them because who cares. So they had twelve owls, which, well that's a lot of owls, But on all the various string polling tasks, the crows outperformed the owls every time. Majority of the crows figured out how to return free the food on a rope in every puzzle. The study authors concluded that the owls were not really detecting a causal relationship between the string polling and the food moving in the same way that the crows did. So in that study it's implied that the owls, you know, they weren't like the worst at it, but they certainly were not anywhere near as good as the crows.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I've always heard is that crows are incredibly smart. They are and like can even use simple machines like levers and things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the new Caledonian crow especially, it can craft a tool out of either wire when it's provided to them or in their natural habitat twigs and use it to hook food or get to stuff, or in the wild that uses it to get at larva that's stuck in trees.
Speaker 2: See that's amazing. Yeah, that that bird deserves the wise title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, those are like a little bird to Kloma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of the owls are out here doing America's best vision commercials and things right now, come on, that should be crows, that should be crosed.
Speaker 1: That should be crows. Remember a Sword in the Stone? That movie?
Speaker 2: Yeh?
Speaker 1: That there was, like the owl is wise in this one, Li lying to us, Yeah, there was also like, what is it The Guardians The Owls of Wahooly? What was that movie?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: You know there was. I never watched it.
Speaker 2: I kind of know what you're talking about, but I also guarantee.
Speaker 1: To look it up because I think I'm getting that name wrong. Owl movie. It comes right up. Legend of the Guardians, The Owls of Gholy. That's a real movie, folks. Came out in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: I did not see that.
Speaker 1: No, I did not. I saw Happy Feet. I did not see this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh happy Wasn't that penguins?
Speaker 1: That was penguins. I will sure you could feed me slop, absolute slop of a movie. If it's penguins in it, I'm watching it.
Speaker 2: Penguins are cool. Pengins are cool literally and figuratively.
Speaker 1: That is true. They do live in cold environments, so they are both cold and cool.
Speaker 2: And they do the wattle.
Speaker 1: They waddle they it is very cute. I like a penguin.
Speaker 2: Aren't they monogamous too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can be. It depends on the species, but for like the breeding definitely for a single breeding species, yes, they are monogamous. And some species they are monogamous or longer and there are like albatrosses are very monogamous. They they will stick by each other for a long period of time. So yeah, a lot of seabirds are into the whole kind of like marriage monogamy things. Yeah, very sweet good birds. Yeah yeah. Well okay, so we've dunked on owls a lot. We're going to take a quick break and when we get back we are going to talk about sloths and whether they deserve the lazy reputation that they have. So Adam, you have recently encountered sloths or at least been able to admire them from afar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I took a trip to Costa Rica recently. Wonderful, beautiful, really puts the rain and rainforest got them right a bit. Yeah, they call it rainforest for a reason. It was very wet. But sloths are a big thing in Costa Rica, and there's a bunch of different sloth tours and things of the like. What I think people would not expect when you go on a sloth tour. You think you're going to walk in there and just see slaw doing their slow version of bouncing around in the trees and whatnot. No slows sleep. They just they just sleep forever, especially when it's raining. They don't move. So you take these tours. You have the option of having a guided tour, or you can just go in there and look by yourself. And if you just go in looking by yourself, you're not going to see a sloth because they just hang out in the trees and sleep. So when you take this tour, you have a guide and he has this telescope that when he finds a sloth, he aims it at it and you can use your phone to take a picture through telescope. So I saw a sloth, but it was just way up in the trees.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when I when I got back my you don't even like this show. Co host Jeff May was like, you know, there's a place here in la where you can just like hang out with a sloth. It's like, I don't I could go to a zoo and do that. I don't not try to marry the sloth. I just want to see it in its natural habitat, and I don't want to see it at a library or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I would if there was a sloth library where you could like lend out sloths and just hang out with a sloth and then return it, that'd be pretty nice. I do like them, Yeah, as long as the sloths are into it, which they probably would not be so Yeah, sloths, Uh, they are incredibly slow and they sleep a lot, and the fact that you cannot see them easily on a sort of sloth expedition is kind of a feature, not a bug of the sloth. Like they they are slow moving and they spend a lot of time in trees just so that they are not detected by predators. Obviously, you're not planning on eating a sloth, I don't think, but you know they don't know that. Yeah, you know you would consider it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, as long as they're not endangered or anything, and if they are, as long as it's not too expensive, right exactly do you know why sloths only come down to the ground for one thing. That's what that is. Poopen, oopen, poopen, to take a dump.
Speaker 1: Poopen, And they do it once a week because their digestive system is so slow because they eat very tough leaves. So yeah, sloths given all this right, Like we like, sloths are considered lazy. They're named after, you know, sloth, the sin. The word sloth to mean the animal was first used in sixteen ten, which is a translation of the word uh pregusa, which is Portuguese for slowness. So are slows lazy? Like they are certainly slow moving? But like, to me, so what how would you define laziness right?
Speaker 2: I I mean laziness to me, I think is just kind of sitting around and doing nothing. And I assume that's not what sloths are doing because they do need to eat, so they yet once a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, laziness is like choosing, choosing inactivity instead of being sort of like choosing the easy way out right, like choosing sort of you know, like cutting corners, choosing the easy way. So, like, let's see if sloths actually are that way. So, first of all, what are sloths?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: There are two main families of sloths still living today, there's the three toad sloths and the two toad sloths. The three toad sloths typically have weirder faces. They have the little banded eyeshadow and the wide set eyes. They have those little smushed faces. Two toed sloths typically have like pink pinkish noses, and their faces tend to be kind of more conventionally cute because their eyes are larger, their eyes are less like widely spaced.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, which is the one that has the permanent smile?
Speaker 1: That's the three toad slows? I think the one that has the it's they have the little smooshed, really weird faces and it just looks like they have this big smile and their eyes are like a million miles apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that's very cute.
Speaker 1: Very very cute. They're both very cute in their own way. Two toed slaves have two claws on their four limbs, and then the three toad slaws have three claws on each of their limbs. The two toed sloths do have three claws on their hind limbs, which is a little confusing, but yeah, the front limbs have two, whereas for the three three toed slaws, their front limbs have three.
Speaker 2: Uh, so take me through this again. Okay, two toed sloth, two toes, two.
Speaker 1: Toes front limbs, three toes back three to sloth three toes all around everywhere, to drive all around. So they actually both of these families of sloths evolved their ability to be arboreal, live in trees and to be very slow and just hang out there. Independently. They both evolved from ground dwelling sloths, some of which got to be huge like the giant sloth, and so both of these families like independently evolved to live in trees and be real slow. And it's thought that the claws that these sloths had were originally used for digging, for burrowing, and then they just readapted them for hanging on trees like these these claws kind of literally work like clothes hangers. They just like hoo hook them on the tree, and when they are at rest, they just like hang out. Both of these families and all the species of sloths live in the Americas. There's only two species of two toed sloths, so that's easy to remember. And then there's five species of toads. I'm sorry about that. It doesn't you know, it'd be nice, but no.
Speaker 2: Sense, Yes, no sense.
Speaker 1: And they're distributed throughout Central and South America, and uh so, the behavior between the two families of slavs is a little different. Two toad sloths, so those are the big eyed ones. They are a little more active, They have a more varied diet, They are nocturnal, and they travel between trees more frequently. They're still pretty slow and pretty laid back, but they're just a little more active than the three toad sloths, who only feed on a specific few types of leaves. They stick to a much smaller range of trees. They are diurnal, meaning they're mostly active if you can call it that, during the day, and are less active in general than the two toad sloths. So three toad slaws, the ones with the smushed face and the banded eyes. They are the most slothy sloths of the sloths.
Speaker 2: We know why sloths are as slow as they are.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, we do so. The one thing is that they are very slow on the ground, bad walkers on the ground, And the reason for that is that their limbs have evolved not to walk but to hang, so they're pulling. Muscles are really strong and actually when they're at rest, they're pulling muscles are engaged, whereas they're pushing, muscles are super super weak. So to walk where they are like pushing on their legs, like having to push up their bodies really bad. They are really really bad crawlers, but they're actually decent swimmers because they can like the paddling is using the pulling muscles. But as you might have observed, they're also really slow in the trees, right, They're not like hopping around the trees being you know, right, And that's because their metabolism is really, really really slow. They eat these very hard to digest leaves that can take like ten to thirty days to digest like one of these leaves, and so that's why they only poop and pea like once a week. And also they they're that slowness works out for them in terms of not being detected, right, Because they move so slow, they are much less noticeable to predators and to tourists who want to see them. So it is not a lifestyle that they live just because they're lazy, but because of their slow metabolism, because of the food they eat, and it's actually a good adaptation to prevent predation, right, Like you either want to really be able to outrun your predator or be so slow the predator doesn't even notice you.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Yeah, yeah, I remember hearing when we were in Costa Rica that one of their natural predators is a puma and that sometimes a puma will just go up in the tree to get slough. Yeah, oh that would suck. Yeah anything.
Speaker 1: The thing is, the thing is like it is so when they are other than like pumas, which can just get up in those trees and look around, Like when they're on the ground, they are at their most vulnerable because they're much more visible and they're on the ground, and they are even less agile on the ground. But they still go down the tree to poop every week, which you would think that, like the truly lazy thing would be just to poop from the tree. Why not birds do it a lot of like bats do it a lot of like arboreal animals don't descend the tree to go poop when they need to. They just poop or pee right off the tree. So the fact that slows do this to me is kind of the opposite of laziness. They are going to a great effort just to poop on the ground. And the theory behind that is that it's either a social thing, which to me is a less strong theory, and the other one is that they are actually farming moths. So they have these moths that live on their fur and they're so slow, they do actually grow algae on their fur. So if you've ever seen like sometimes they have kind of a green green tint to their fur, that's algae. And there are these moths, these mutualistic symbiotic moths that live on their fur and eat the algae, and the moths will actually there they're excretions or even when the moth dies and decays like the the the sort of byproduct of these moths is vitamins for the sloth, so they can absorb these vitamins from the moths they've after they've eaten the algae, and it benefits the sloths. So the ideas when the slows go down to poop, the moth larva actually lives like near the slow poop and down at the base of the tree, and then it crawls up onto the sloth and then the sloth is like getting a new batch of moths it and then it also allows moths to get off the sloth and then complete their life cycle by laying eggs in the poop. And so it's like this cycle of the moth and the sloth sort of having the symbiotic relationship, which to me that is that's synergizing, right, that's good business sense. That's not lazy, you know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, not at all. That seems like it would have taken some planning.
Speaker 1: Mm hm.
Speaker 2: Those sloths would have had to figure that whole thing out, like what these moths are doing to eth this algae off us? Amazing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just very slowly pulling the cap off of a whiteboard marker. Yeah, no, I mean, is one of those things where clearly they didn't all come to some kind of sloth consensus. It's in it's a evolutionary symbiosis that evolved over you know, many many hundreds of thousands of years. But it is really interesting because it's like, you know, just it's this behavior where sloths are going to the extra effort to go down to the forest floor, which leaves it's both courageous because it leaves them vulnerable and it's extra effort and they're doing it so they can get their vitamins, which I think is great good for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the lazy tag is maybe not correct comes to sloth or just I mean, they're slow, but it sounds like they're doing a lot.
Speaker 1: They are for yeah, and they're putting in the works slowly.
Speaker 2: So what if they sleep eighteen hours? What do they have to do? They don't have plans, they don't have anything to take care.
Speaker 1: I think if we call them lazy because we're jealous that they don't have to do things like taxes or car payments, you know.
Speaker 2: I am very jealous of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. Also also, uh, just one more evidence piece of evidence that they are not lazy. So sloth copulation lasts around half an hour, so you know the fellas are you know, they're they're they're going, they're look, they're not unattentive lovers, is what I what I would say. They're also polygamous, so they are having to do this for multiple lazy sloths, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, yeah, nothing lazy about that.
Speaker 1: Nothing lazy about that. And then the mothers have to take care of their offspring and their very attentive mothers. So I would say when it comes to reproduction, not lazy, just you know, like they are. They're putting the effort in where where it truly matters. Pooping and mating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and eating. Yeah, what else matters in life?
Speaker 1: Literally, nothing else matters eating, pooping, and mating. That those are the only things you need really to be a successful animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Bosts sound like they are a successful animal.
Speaker 1: They really are.
Speaker 2: Sol the show in the movies Utopia, remember that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah that? Yeah, those I love those guys, those little slows. I love the joke that they're slow. I like the joke being repeated a few times throughout the movie, and it was good every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like the DMV scene where yeah, little rabbits in a hurry and the DMV is fully staffed by sloths.
Speaker 1: It's so it's so true though, right, you know you're at the DMV and it's like, man, I've been at this DMV for a while, ain't at the.
Speaker 2: Truth And it smells like a jungle in here.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, roasted d be roasted. Man. Those DMV workers probably not paid enough, with long days and just exhausted. Anyways, So we are going to take a quick break and when we get back, we're going to talk about an animal that has a very good reputation for being brave. But is it all right? So we've talked about how Slavs are actually industrious and brave, but what about the lion, the courageous lion. Are they actually brave or a bunch of pussycats?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: What do you think, Adam? What is your general attitude towards the lyons.
Speaker 2: Lions seem like they don't have a lot to be afraid of, so I could see them being especially brave. But yeah, I don't know. I feel like I'm being set up here. I feel like you're gonna tell me they're a bunch of cowards.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna yeah, I'm gonna first I'm gonna insult your intelligence and be like, Adam, you fool, you fool, like that foolish fool. Uh yeah, no, no, this is not a trick question. Lions are interesting. I I do think they are very complex animals and uh, but first, so the for me, the definition of courage is not being like omnipotent where you just can crush everything, right like if you if you are the strongest animal and you have nothing to fear, you're not really being courageous, right, because you have nothing to worry about. Courage is when you do something kind of you take on a challenge that is risky, right, and in like you're facing danger. Uh So, I guess you know, we gotta we gotta talk about like do lions actually face danger? And if they do, are they like a cur especially courageous about it? You know? I do want to say that being like overly courageous in the animal kingdom will not be rewarded because it will usually end up in your genetic lineage coming to an abrupt stop. Uh So it's not necessarily a good evolutionary trait. But if you're overly cautious, you may miss out on feeding, mating, territory opportunities. Right, So it's kind of there's a balance.
Speaker 2: Fun, right, miss out on fun?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Man, Like if if you it's skydiving tiger, have you ever seen it? I've never seen it? So you know, maybe they should kick back a little more.
Speaker 2: Learn to drive a car, Learn to drive?
Speaker 1: Uh man? Remember in Utopia when the sloth was driving a car too fast? Oh yeah, yeah yeah, and they're like, wow, who could be speeding? And it's the sloth didn't see that come one coming. I didn't see that twist. Come on, I got I got blasted in the face with that twist because I didn't see it coming. So lions seem to know not to take stupid chances with large, dangerous herbivores. I think there's sometimes this concept that lions just are they've really got it easy because they go around and they there's nothing that praise on a lion, right, and nothing they got to worry about wrong. Have you seen the lion king. They've got lots of problems, lots of drama. So yeah, they actually they require a lot of meat to maintain their large bodies, and so they have to hunt, and hunting is not a risk free operation. In addition to exhausting themselves with hunting and not being successful, us herbivores will often fight back right, like, they don't want to get eaten, So a lot of them will give the lions a runt for their money, and they can actually maul or kill the lions. So lions really do have to be selective about what they hunt, and so they do tend to show a little bit of humility when faced with adult elephants, hippos, and rhinos. They tend to avoid those animals as prey because you know, to me, I don't. I would not say that's cowardly. I would just say that is smart, that's smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, taking down a hippo seems like it would be a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think taking down a hippo, you're probably gonna get crushed. Hippos are not only extremely powerful creatures, they are very aggressive. So I mean, like, between a hippo and a rhino, I feel like I would be less afraid of the rhino. I'd be afraid of both of them, but I think I could like I would be more likely to escape and encounter with a rhino as long as I'm like slow and careful. But a hippo, I think it's not gonna matter. A hippo's gonna mess me up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, There's very few things I love more than an Internet video of someone just getting wrecked by a seemingly calm animal. I think buffalo, Oh, yes, do not approach.
Speaker 1: Do not approach buffalo. They yes, they're an herbivore. That doesn't mean they're not going to mess you up. Have you seen a buffalo? They're yoked, sometimes literally, and they got horns their.
Speaker 2: Whole thing is they just want to step on you.
Speaker 1: They can crush you. I mean even deer, even deer can mess you up, like, you know, especially male deer. They've got like they can gore you with their antlers and look as an herbiv war. You've got to like constantly be on alert for predators and if they feel like they need to chase you off, they will be aggressive and they can hurt you. And they will do the same thing to lions. Like there have been lions that have been killed by would be prey because they you know, a bit off more than they could chew, uh and they got pummeled and like even just like even if they don't immediately die like a wound, right, if it gets infected, that can kill a line easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what are they gonna do? Go to the doctor?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not Like, yeah, the lion doctor.
Speaker 2: Not a thing you I've never seen the Lion.
Speaker 1: King really even the animated one.
Speaker 2: Not the animated one, not the live action one, not the.
Speaker 1: Play interesting, there's no doctor in it.
Speaker 2: So yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe the monkey is a doctor.
Speaker 2: Maybe now I guess years of past month, maybe be doing something else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, such a lot of has retired franchise. Yeah, so yeah, it is, uh, it is, man, I still can't believe I haven't seen The Lion King. I think that was the first movie I saw in theaters as a kid.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Iron King, And I think mine was Star Wars.
Speaker 1: I Burial, Well, yeah no, but Star Wars that's a that's essentially the same plot. I think Lion King and Star Wars. Hero doesn't want to be a hero, then you know, family gets killed, then they gotta.
Speaker 2: Go train And isn't James Earl Jones and The Lion King Also.
Speaker 1: James Earl Jones is in The Lion King also, and they all both movies. I think there's some bug eating probably anyways, Probably the point is there's only one movie that's ever been made, so yes, So lions will sometimes team up on something like an elephant or a hippo, although I think they're very avoidant of hippos, but they will if they are part of a team. And so female lions will often hunt together and to take down larger prey, but female lions can hunt solo as well. Male lions do hunt, like the idea that they never hunt, and it's just the females hunting and the lazy males like stealing their food. It's only partially true. Males definitely hunt. They're not above stealing the food that the females have hunted, because you know, they're opportunistic, they'll do that, but they do hunt, and occasionally they'll actually hunt with other males, especially brothers, right, Like, there's sometimes these groups of lions that almost form these lion mafias where they go and they hunt together. But generally speaking, male lions are more likely to hunt on their own, and they're also more likely to pick out spots where they are it's low visibility, so ambushing their prey, whereas female lions often pick places that have higher visibility. But they're hunting together, so they're using kind of true teamwork to make the dream work where it's the male lions are ambushing their their prey, but you know, it's it's fun. It's all fungible. Lions are flexible.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, yeah, I didn't know that about male lions. I didn't know that they hunt less than female lions. It sounds smart though, because yeah, just steal the food when.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that's that. Yeah, and it depends, right, Like, in some cases, the male allions may be hunting just as much as the females, but if they can steal food for like, male lions are larger than females, so they can sometimes steal food from females, so they will, right, So it's it's just which is not like you know, it's all all these lions are making calculations to try to enhance their survival. So I wouldn't say the male allions are just scumbags.
Speaker 2: And so when these male lions go out hunting together, would you say that they in that moment have formed an alliance? Yes, gave myself some A plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that was you got you got me?
Speaker 2: I walked into that alliance you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no alliance yeah lions. Well that's true. Where it's the lions do. No, it's I don't think they do. I don't think they do. You got you roasted these lions so bad, so you know, this is the only competition in which we can beat lions just roasting them. So yes, So far lions aren't exactly courageous, right, they don't take risks that they don't need to take. Males will fight each other for mating opportunities, but they they don't really like if they can avoid a fight, they will, So they'll square up right and see if they can determine if there's a clear winner, because neither of them necessarily want to engage in the fight, even the one that's bigger and would win, because it could still get injured. So they'll they'll like square up, see if there's like a clear winner, and if there's not, then they're just not gonna they're gonna have to fight. But if there is a clear winner, then they might like disengage because it's like, well, you know, why why would I just like brashly go into a fight if it could be avoided by kind of predetermining who's probably gonna win. But they're also not above sneakiness in fight, so sometimes males will sneak up on other males in order to try to ambush them. Sometimes they'll form coalitions alliances and uh, and they will attack lions. So you know this is not they're not I don't think they are, like particularly particularly brave. Lions don't actually per, so that's not a good pun. I suck. Yeah, if you can roar, Actually you can't per but if you can purr, you generally can't roar. It has something to do with the structure of the larynx. Is it is you know, cool caf act.
Speaker 2: Peperds or is it leopards or cheatahs that like kitty cats.
Speaker 1: Cheatah is mew. In fact, they chirp. It's very cute. It's very very very adorable. Cheetahs. They make little chrippy like sounds. It's adorable. So yeah, and like, you know, they just I don't think that they are cowards, right, I think lions face a lot of danger. In fact, especially male allions, like they have a very like they have a life where they are drifters. Often they have to go and they try to find a pride. Sometimes they get kicked out. Females are more likely to kind of remain the core group of a pride of lions and that lasts for generations, whereas males kind of drift in and out and come in and get kicked out. Sometimes they can even get voted out by the female lions if they don't like them. They just like the female lions are like, all right, we've had enough of them, and then they all kick them out together. So it's just like lions kind of have a there's a lot of politics involved. There's a lot of danger they face from their prey that their prey is going to try to fight back against them. So yeah, they lead a pretty perilous life on the edge. And I don't think they're particularly courageous because I don't think that they like to take huge risks. But I don't think they're cowards. I think that they they face a lot of danger, and so I think they're just as vulnerable as many other animals, right, Like we think of them as these strong like they have nothing to worry about, but they've got tons of worries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I never thought about thing. We're just getting in a fight. Like you, you automatically think a lion's gonna win, and it probably is. But then yeah, it's gonna go back and die from sepsis, right, exactly wound it got. So that's smarter them to avoid a fight. One of the easiest ways to die in a human fight is to punch a person and put your hand on their tooth. Oh yeah, that'll turn into an affection back in.
Speaker 1: The old days, man, No, I know. But it also likes there can be human fights that like someone punches someone, they hit their head and they're like, you know, oh, fight's over, but then they then they just die because like brain injuries are so serious and it's I think that like, you know, there's this movies have really changed our understanding of fights and injuries and like recuperation time, as well as video games right where it's just like you get into this horrible, bloody fight and then maybe you have to take a day off and then you're back, You're back at it again. Yeah, not true for lions. Not true for human beings either.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely not.
Speaker 1: Well. Before we go, we gotta play a game called the Mystery Animal Sound Game. Every week I play Mystery Animal sound in you the listener, and you the guests, try to guess who is making that sound. I do gotta I gotta mea kopa. Last the week before last week, there was a winner for the Mystery Animal saund game. Who I forgot to name it is Grant w round of applause. Who who the bearded bell bird as the sound that we played? You are correct? I forgot whoopsie diddles to mention you quick. Good job. So okay. Last week's hint different animal. I already gave you the hint during the episode actually the last two weeks. If you were if you have been listening to the podcast, you should probably know who this is. Adam. You just you gotta go and blind, you gotta you get no hints, so just try to figure out what is making this sounds to me? Sure, all right, Adam, you got any guesses?
Speaker 2: Is that a rabbit that's so close?
Speaker 1: But no, it's a cicada?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So see I was I was actually going to guess that, but I thought we were just going animals.
Speaker 1: Cicketa's is animals, okay? And science?
Speaker 2: So set science? That is set science or science.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm a I'm a professor doctor of science, and I say cicadas is animals. Rocks are some kind of vegetable. Cicadas are an animal. So if you want to learn more about cicadas, you can listen to the past two podcast episodes I released. One is a rerun, but it's great. It was about the last time we had a huge brewd emergence of cicadas in the week before. We talk about the current one happening now. Trillions of cicadas emerging from the ground. You can also check out my TikTok. I did a short video on how cicadas are so loud. My TikTok is at k A T I E G O L D I in. So that's at Katie Golden. I don't know how to use tiktoks. Guys, I'm not cool. I suck at it. Nevertheless, that's that's where you can find that. I guess, all right, onto this week's mystery antial sound. The hint is this all's well, that ends well? All right? Any gifts is at him Harry Er. No, but good guess you know you hustled, you put, you put in, you put in the effort, you put in the hustle. It is a good guess. Uh, it is wrong. You don't win anything. You wouldn't have won anything even if you had guessed right. So you know.
Speaker 2: Oh then I'm glad I wasn't right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you think you know who's making that sound, you can write to me a creature feature poduct femail dot com. Thank you so much trusting Adam work. Wait, you didn't listen, you participated actively. You were a guest. Thank you for being my guest, Adam, Where can people find you.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you for having me. Uh. You can find me on Instagram at Adam Todd Brown. That's Todd with one d. T o D means death in German, so my middle name is death. Cool.
Speaker 1: You know what also what means thank you in German? What donkey donkey donkey?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, you can find me on Instagram and my podcasts are everywhere. I host a bunch conspiracy show. Pretty scary. Uh, you don't even like this show. You don't even like sports everywhere.
Speaker 1: That's the name of the podcast you're on. He's not insulting my show or networks. Yeah, check those out. Thank you so much for gusting, and thank you for listening. If you're enjoying the show and you leave a rating interview, it actually tangibly helps me, So thank you for that. And thanks for those Space classics for there are some song x Solomon a creature features a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts like the one you just heard, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or I Guess what were you listening to your favorite shows? I don't care. See you next Wednesday.