Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q a A to b a q A. What you say to b a q A Mandy, the b a q A, Tiffany, let.
Speaker 2: Me a q a A.
Speaker 1: You know, it's so crazy that every I was able to rhyme everyone's name.
Speaker 2: It was like the b a q A.
Speaker 1: I think I was like with meet set and like we had lace and we had like every every week.
Speaker 2: I was like, please let it work out.
Speaker 3: You just got your justin Timberlake of right.
Speaker 2: And then it was like.
Speaker 1: So like everybody I was able to, I was able to make it work or you know, so I was like, we don't have a smith on so you know, Briana bisch and Question Answer, y'all know we do it every week. If you have questions that you need answers to, you can ask them at Brianabision podcast dot com. There's a contact us or ask us anything button there, slide into our dms on IG Brian and BiH Podcast, Twitter, the BA podcast you can check though I know whatever that Twitter, and then also you can get us on threads.
Speaker 2: Thread I don't know I'm on threads.
Speaker 1: Even though I'm not on threads, you know, I just secured my name or Brianna bishon podcasts at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: I told the people that may would be so happy.
Speaker 1: It only took me like, uh seven point nine years to remember all of our ways.
Speaker 2: Remember I used to be like, I don't remember none of them.
Speaker 3: But the fun thing about you tip is, you know you do it the one week and then the next week it's.
Speaker 2: Like I'm gonna get I'm gonna be like.
Speaker 3: It's inconsistent. It is, but no, it's okay, you know.
Speaker 1: But remember too, we are not your financial advisor. We're not your doctor, ya lawyer. We're just two really cute brown girls on the interwebs who are really smart and amazing.
Speaker 3: But not your auntie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back call us.
Speaker 1: But we're just here to give some advice and you're going to take with the smallest grain of salt and bring it back to the people that you pay for for advice.
Speaker 2: So that's it, Okay, get your salt, shake us out. Yes.
Speaker 3: So I and hey, y'all, I'm Mandy and I'm that mad Lee, And that means we're going to be digging into some career questions and we have some juicy ones today, some interesting ones. I might need to be a little mean, a little bit, I don't know. Radical candor, that's what we'll call it. That mean right radical because this is like Brene Brandt Brown quote. I don't know, someone made it up who was super smart. Radical candor is what we're going to go for today. Got a question from someone who is really feeling not very confident in their job anymore. And then we're going to follow that up with a woman who is wanting to launch her own business and take her online doulah business or her doula business into like an online space, which is really cool. Let's get into it. Number one over for okay, so they want to be called over forty level of confidence. Hey, hey, longtime listener, first time emailer. I have been working for an engineer company as an unlicensed engineer for the last year and a half. I've been in and out of the industry over the last fifteen years, each time starting at an entry level position. So I'm older and in an entry level position again. And a few months ago my supervisor went off on me and it really shook my confidence. I've gone to him and told him not to yell at me anymore or to perform on site on site visits. The incident occurred during my training. However, since that time, I'm not getting anything right. I'm making mistakes all over the place. I'm going along to get along, but it only makes me feel worse. What are some exercises I can do to build my confidence again? Well this makes me sad. Yeah, but you know my first reaction is like, I'm kind of happy that your boss is paying attention because engineering is all about accuracy, right, being really attention to detail. I don't know what kind of engineer you do, but like, if you're engineering an airplane that I'm going to get on, then I would like you to not make mistakes either. And it sounds like it's maybe not a realistic expectation for your boss to not do on site visits, especially if you're training like you're going to be getting that feedback. I think what's hard is that, as someone who's got fifteen years of experience, yes you say off and on, you're probably coming into it with like an attitude of I've been around the block, Like I do know some things. I'm more senior, I have more experience than these other juniors, So like, why are you picking on me? And I think you need to humble yourself if you're going to be in this position and recognize that you still may have things to learn from your supervisor in that space. And if it's shaken your confidence, I think the only exercise that will help you is to do your work well. And what do you need to do your work well? Is that feedback maybe your boss, Like maybe you've taken it so personally now like with a feedback from them, it's going to continue to shake your confidence. But I'm going to need you to like find a mentor find a colleague who's doing everything right and watch them like a hawk, even if they're twenty years younger than you, watch them like a hawk. Age is nothing when it comes to I feel like has nothing to do with whether you're capable of a job or not. But if they really understand what you guys are there to do, and they're doing things really well, then follow them and see what they're doing right and then try to emulate that. And I think it is just like eat a slice a humble pie and recognize, Okay, maybe I'm not in my area of strength here and I've got some learning to do. That's all I can think of. That was radical candor, and I hope that it didn't hurt your feelings.
Speaker 2: Got it's like, yeah, they're your right in that one.
Speaker 1: They should not be yelling at you, you know, because you know we're all adults here. But correction is critical, you know, because to Mandy's point, I mean in all things.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: You might be a mechanical engineer, maybe you're building bridges, you know, maybe you're you know, whatever it is. You know, you're wanting your job. Your job is going to require a certain level of excellence, and so one of the best things to do is to Mandy's point is that one of the ways I had asked doctor Green this once my therapist when I was feeling not as confident, and she was like, well, the best way to feel confident.
Speaker 2: Is to get good at us at the thing you know.
Speaker 1: That that yeah, Like like, so if you're there's something that you're working on. I know, my sister is a mechanical engineer, and she would like literally on the side kind of learn new programs or take different classes to learn something new. So she felt really good about here's my solid knowledge base. I can put it into practice, you know. So I don't know if you're you know, are their classes are there? You know, are there programs that you can order that Like she literally useduld just like buy these kind of like programs on the side and just practice with them. I remember distinctly when she, like even my sister Tracy, when she was wanting to be a buyer, she like ordered kind of like these buying programs that she would just practice with. So that way, because she knew she was new to that industry, she had been in the financial industry up until then, you know, so that when she went to interviews, she can say, although, you know, I've had had this direct experience, I've got my master's in marketing, and these programs I've been doing them, you know for the last year or just on my own, And so are there ways you can lean in to skill sets that you're self developing so you feel good about that?
Speaker 2: You know, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: It is a tough space, but to me, delivering excellence breeds confidence, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: And it's like, but it's also when you say that you've been in this off and on for fifteen years, I'm almost wondering, are you dedicated to it enough to really invest that time, and what is it that's keeping you like going in and out? And I know your question is just about confidence, but like, if you're wanting a career, like a real career in this field to see some upward trajectory, I'm going to guess if you even you've been in and out of it, you're not gaining skills or gaining a master of your craft to the point where you're going to be moving up. And I think you just got to, like, you know, forget about your age for a second. I don't I find that your age being forty is irrelevant. Honestly, It's just really about do you want to be really good at this one job and bring value and be recognized and move up and get more opportunities. And the best way to do that is, like TIF saying, is to really invest in your skills and grow. And you know, and of course, like I would agree, yelling is not the best I know you say they went off on you. I don't know what that means, but I'm going to assume they weren't thrilled and they let you know it in front of probably some other people. But like, what is the benefit of sitting in that and just like letting that continue to get you down, not very much like it's it's just better for you if you you know, I'll take it for what it's worth, take the criticism or the feedback, and then find ways to just prove them wrong, you know, and to bring that excellence. And if they look over your shoulder more often because you made some mistakes early on, then that's sort of the price to pay when you lose that trust. But you can rebuild it, you know, if you continue and you bring that excellence every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's hard, you know, like this part is gonna be hard, just because you're in this weird space. But if slowly but surely you're like, you know what, I want to do this extra work at home. I'm going to figure this thing out. I'm going to ask questions to the people in my industry. I'm going to lean in and be like, hey, because I've certainly done that when I wasn't a great teacher, Like I'd be like asking my friends who really were great teachers, like, so how do you do that? Can you look at my lesson plan? Can you take you know, And so that way I can start to see what good looked like, so I can emulate that. So good luck to you over forty confidence.
Speaker 3: Good luck to you. All right, let's take a quick break though, and come back with next question from a woman who was wanting to make her business more online, which is really exciting. Yes, right back, alba fan, we are back with another one of your ba qa's. This is from a listener who wants to be called just a just a brown girl trying to make it if you want to read this one.
Speaker 2: Girl, yes, hello.
Speaker 1: First of all, I would like to say thank you for being the aunties I always wanted.
Speaker 2: Let me stop you there, Sis. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Mandy is a whole thirty five, which to me, I'm gonna let you slide with that if you were in your twenties. But if unless you are under the ages early twenties, twenty, unless you' under the age of twenty thirty five is not your auntie you got to be. You have to have a teen in your number to maybe call Mandy auntie. Yeah, right, Like I could see a eighteen year old be like, oh that's my aunt Mandy. Okay, we canna let that slide because you got tea oka but not no, but because I remember I had this woman that you just called me auntie, and I'm like, says, I'm five years older.
Speaker 2: You don't do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 1: You can't have a three in front of your number and I got a four in front of mine and I'm your auntie.
Speaker 2: No, don't do that. We are peers at this at this moment.
Speaker 3: T It's not a sign of respect.
Speaker 2: So we're just we're teasing. Back to the letter. You guys are amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm righting today because I have a business that has done pretty well. However, I'd like to grow my business by having a constant income.
Speaker 2: Okay, I am.
Speaker 1: A birth worker slash doula in Houston, Texas. I offer childbirth and lactation education, birth support, and postpartum support.
Speaker 2: This is great.
Speaker 1: The bulk of my income comes from labor support. However, I want to grow my business where I don't have to rely on just having labor clients. I want to be able to offer webinars online and not just in person. Really smart, I'm not sure how to go about that. I also hear you talk about CRMs, which are what I seem stand for.
Speaker 2: Mandy as me that we're go ahead to of.
Speaker 3: Google we'll go customer retention marketing.
Speaker 2: Yes. Basically, oh my god god, the email system.
Speaker 3: I won an award for remembering.
Speaker 1: That whoa wait, sister, you like mad me me? Or that's another popular one that the girls like, constant contact.
Speaker 2: That's a CRM. For those who are like, what's that?
Speaker 1: I also hear you talk about CRMs. Can someone like me even use a CRM? I'm not even sure what I could launch. I definitely want to move forward and allow my business to make abundance of money for me so I can live all girl, so I can live my rich auntie's life.
Speaker 2: I was like, all, be careful there, just like us.
Speaker 1: Should I hire a business coach? Who should I lead into to help me take my business to the next level? Because I know I need help and has grown out of my comfort of knowing what to do next. Sincerely, just a brown girl trying to make it. Hey, Me's no, I'm just seizing. No, you're a budding business. I love this question because I feel like there's so much potential for her. Yeah, huge potential. Well for inst let me just welcome you on into y'all know I'll be coaching young young brown girls in business at over at my mentor Tiffany dot com coming over, because this is the type of thing that we would like, you know, not that we talk on one on one, but you know that I would either do a lesson on which I definitely have about how to grow and and scale, or you know, we sometimes I do a Q and A. I do a live once a month where you get to like kind of lean and learn a lesson, ask questions. I bring experts in, Like tonight, I mean, y'all are you know you will listen to too late, But tonight I'm having the assistant superintendent of the largest school district in Newark come to talk about how to build a curriculum that sells. So I'm excited about that. But I say all that to the same that this is great. You are in a position that so many budding or new entrepreneurs find themselves in, and that is like pre scale.
Speaker 2: So in the beginning, it's like me myself.
Speaker 1: And now that's what I got to the end, you know, it's like, oh, it's me Tiffany I show up in a classroom, it's me Tiffany I. So you're asking to scale is to duplicate yourself or the process. And so that's where you are right now, which is really exciting to Mandy's point, and I love that you're already starting to realize. Okay, I have options when it comes to scaling, and certainly one of them is online education. You could also do group coaching. Maybe you could do in person group coaching. So when I scaled, I went from one on one, then I went from in person still but group, and then I went from two larger audience. So for you, you know, you might consider how m because I'm not gonna lie. Online courses are getting people are getting a little exhausted by traditional online courses. That's what that's what the word is. And we've seen it too. We've seen a little slow down to business. I've also seen it with my friends who have online courses, and so I don't know I would. I don't want you to, like maybe take the full leap uti courses, consider kind of maybe doing someone off. That's what I would see, just to test the market to see if there's interest there of like teaching, like hey, I'm going to teach this class you. If it was me, i'd want to align myself with like mommy groups like you know, pre mommy book groups, like especially first time moms who are like, what am I.
Speaker 2: What you know? What can I expect?
Speaker 1: Like? Are there groups in Houston, Texas that you can go and visit? Maybe they can hire you to come speak, or maybe you speak for free, and then from there you let them know I do this coaching on the side. So that's probably would be my next before I jumped into building out a whole course at webinar or whatever, I would test my theory that there is an appetite for this by looking to maybe do some group things. So I'm assuming the labor stuff that you do, it's like you with one single mother, you know, with one not single mother, but one individual woman, you know. So that's what I would ask myself, is this possible for me to do this with a group?
Speaker 2: What does that look like?
Speaker 1: And so I would explore that before jumping out the window to create like a course or webinar or whatever. Like I'm like, I personally love slow and steady. When's the race type of growth? I know some people like to have explosive growth, which can be fun but can also be overwhelming, and it's not always telling about whether or not that's something that can be sustained, and so like, yeah, I would be looking for what is the next step versus the next leap, you know, And I think that, you know, maybe in person group coaching might be a nice step and see if those people will be interested in something online with you and then moving from there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that when you say you are a birth birthing coach slash doulah and you also do lactation support, I feel like there is such a I mean, your audience is birthing humans, people who are giving birth, so you have such a wide audience. I mean, my feeling about online courses is and I hear to what you're saying about the you know, like the waning interest in it, and I do feel like, I mean, I think that you could say about anything right now, in the economy that we're in, people are just more tight with their dollars and they want want to be sure that they're spending money on so then that is absolutely for them and your key, you know, the key hurdle you have to overcome when you are trying to pivot something online or even just any business is figuring out who's your core market, who's your audience and creating an offer that they it's it's completely apparent to them that this is exactly for me. And that was an exercise that I went through with my business is making sure that I am speaking to her. I am speaking to the woman who goes on LinkedIn and you know doesn't even want to look at her feed because she's sick of seeing everyone else post about new jobs or they just got a promotion. You know, the person who's got twelve different versions of their resume and still can't land a job. Like I've thought deep and hard about the specific person that I'm speaking to and for you that you know, maybe you already know because you've been in business for a while, but tips right, like you want to get that like focus group, you want to talk to women, talk to sorry, people who give birth. What are they need? What are they wanting? You know, there's a whole market, I feel like for support after the birth, you know, like postpartum support, which you say that you offer. And I mean I was talking to a mom at my son's daycare and she just bought a course on how to get her son to sleep through the night, and there's and I was like, oh, did you do this? One, and she's like, no, I did that one. There's a bunch of them out there, you know, So there is there is definitely a market for definitely an appetite, and I don't want you to get stuck on like I think I had this idea, how could I get there? So that's where I'm like, you know, yes, I agree, you know, some in person coaching might be helpful, but I also feel like finding people who are competitors potential competitors in your space, but like let them show you that it's possible if you find other people who are you know, they have lactation consultant consultancies, and they have an online you know, component of what they teach, Like find other examples of people out there doing the thing that you want to do, not to make yourself feel like there's no space for you, but to make you feel like it's possible, and you can like connect with them and learn from them and start you know, being in and start growing your community of like minded entrepreneurs. As well as far as like the marketing side, I would say, if you don't already have a way to capture emails from your clients, like you have to get something, get some sort of very basic I think in the when we say CRM, we're probably talking about just like an email, an email platform, you know, like I use flow desk, you use the big one once it called it KEEP.
Speaker 2: But also to active campaigns is a good one.
Speaker 3: I'll thought you, Okay, yeah, there's a bunch out there, but I like what used to be called KEEP.
Speaker 1: That was that's like the gold star like but it's expensive, So I tell people that's what you level.
Speaker 3: Up too later, you really, I mean it's like you can do a sign up sheet, you know, at your events, like just get their emails, write them down, or you can there's a bunch of ways to capture email, but you want to you want to find a way to speak to the people who were interested in working with you, because as you're going to build this business, you're going to want to be able to reach back out to them, you know, when it's six months from now and you've got something that you're launching. So a lead magnet could be something small for you to start with, Like can you create the ten lactation tips to save you from cracked nipples? You know, because ouch, right, no one wants a cracked nipple. It's as bad as it. Okay. So if you have something that you can like package together and just like and it's your area of expertise, so it shouldn't take you that long to create it, you know. Like for me, it's my four free scripts to ask for a raise, you know, I put that together and people download it for free and they give their email and that's how we can stay in touch with them. But you can find some free like email software, flow desk is free. It's a you know, I don't like, I'm not affiliated with them in any other way than I use their product, but there are some you know, just like just do just get the basic version of whatever you think you need to email these people and you can always like grow with your tech, like you can always get tech art of technology. Yeah, you can always like level up, but find something to start And should you hire a business coach?
Speaker 2: Sorry, oh that's right now, ra I forget about that part.
Speaker 1: And I'll say this too, that there are I remember there's this woman who I met, this black woman who had like this lactation snack business that's in target where women, you know, it would help with their lactation. I thought that was great, but imagine partnering with organizations like you know, things like that that they don't do what you do, but the benefit is that, like you can share their product and so maybe you do some lives with them where it's like educational lives. And so one of the best ways to get people to see you as like the go to is for them to see you as an expert because of what you teach and how you teach, you know, So just consider like that too, that you're not supposed to do out here alone, Like you know, partnership is critical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and where are you showing up and showing your excellence right now? And can't people find you? So like it? You know, where are people discovering you? You have to be discovered outside of just your client base. So is that going to be social media? Is it going to be like Tiff said, you can partner with like I found electation consultant through my hospital. I found one through my prenatal yoga studio that I went to. You could do zooms where because I used I remember when I had my first son, I was stressed about breastfeeding, as most first time moms are. Am I doing it right? Is he getting enough? You can't tell. And they had like this little group at my hospital and I had to go in person, but you would sit in a room and just breastfeed together, and they'd like, but you could do that a virtual version of that, you know, just to like get moms together, look at their latch and make sure it's right, get them, you know. I just wanted to quickly say though, and we're we could do a whole series on this whole question. But about the business coach thing. When I had gotten my proof of concept with Mandy money Makers, when I had I did it, you know quick. I did it like not dirty, but I didn't wait for it to be perfect. But like I did my focus grouping by doing the free career coaching, and then I launched what I thought was a good webinar to then launch my online course and my community, Mandy money Makers, and I did like three versions of that, and then I enrolled in a business coaching like a program, and it was like a group coaching program, so it wasn't like I had a dedicated business coach. I did get a couple of one on ones, but it was me taking their course on how to sort of do what you're talking about which is you know, really just like make your business, you know, bring in these different income streams online with your business. That's at that point I was when I hired the business coach and did their program, and I think that that worked for me because you will get stuck in the beginning of any good program doing that work anyway of like finding your perfect customer, working on your you know, your marketing and your message. And I had kind of done a lot of that work in advance, and I felt really ready to just like enroll in this and get the template and like the curriculum or the blueprint that I needed to you know, create like a smooth running online business in that way. So and the woman that I worked with and I do not get any affiliate from her anything like that, but that was we had her as a guest on the show. Natalia Copeland is as the coach that I worked with in Talia Copeland, and her her program is called the Fast Academy Fast.
Speaker 2: So check her out, but also check out my mentor tifany that cop.
Speaker 3: Yes, not too much more affordable ten bucks a month now, which is still super affordable, but yeah, oh okay, it's a good.
Speaker 1: Place to like baby, tip your your toe in. It's like I call it like mentorship, but there's also a lot of peer to peer, which is really critical. I always say she have mentors and sponsors. You have a handful of those, way more peace people who are in a similar spot that you can like bounce things off of, learn things from, and then mentees of your own because it keeps your skills sharp helping other people. So mentors, peers, mentees. It's just like that's kind of like the the grouping that I like to have that I've seen create success for myself and others.
Speaker 2: So we wish you luck.
Speaker 3: Girl, you know, cousin, don't give up. I feel like this is I'm excited for You'll want updates, Yes, updates, all right, just a brown girl trying to make it. We forgive you for calling us aunties and it's all good. And I think that's it for b a QA. If y'all want to send us your questions again, you can hit us up on IG We're at brand Ambission Podcast or go to our website brandnambission podcast dot com and ask us anything.
Speaker 2: All right, Bye bye, You'll until next week.
Speaker 3: Bye bye, heyba fam, We could not do this show without your support or the support of our team behind the scenes. The Brown Ambition Podcast is produced by Imani Crosby and Dennis and Plinsky is our house tech guru. I am your co host Mandy Woodrif Santos, and we will see y'all next week. Ba FAM