Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and.
Speaker 4: The official Dallas Cowboys at now.
Speaker 1: Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 5: And it is a Monday at eleven am inside the SWBC podcast studio. And that can mean only one thing, some somehow, some way. For the first time in how long we're all in the studio. Yes, how that happened?
Speaker 6: Oh wow, it's been a while. It has been.
Speaker 4: Sometimes life gets in the way.
Speaker 6: It does you.
Speaker 7: I have to fall on the sword and there we go on. But I'm not alone. I'm not alone.
Speaker 6: Turns.
Speaker 5: Have I taken a turn?
Speaker 6: Yes? Thank you? Okay? All right?
Speaker 5: Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and the star of the show, Mickey Spagnola, and live and in person. Is this ever a big moment in time?
Speaker 6: We are?
Speaker 5: What's the day today? April seventeen, seventeen, ten days away from the start of the NFL Draft, no.
Speaker 1: More importantly, So you're here for the draft? Did you pay your taxes?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Did you file your tax Yeah?
Speaker 5: I didn't today, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Today is the deadline.
Speaker 6: I sent that to somebody else.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like Mickey is, that's other things on his mind. And today, No, I just knew that, you know, get today or tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Today, the seventeenth, I thought it was like okay, eighteen thought I thought it.
Speaker 8: They did too, but usually fifteen the weekend. Just make sure you get it done today in case, yeah, yeah, all right. And so anyway, the draft ten days away. You know, it's kind of been the calm before the storm here. But most importantly, there are football players on the premises officially.
Speaker 5: As yes, the alarm has gone off. It's the start of the twenty twenty three off season for your Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: There were guys working out.
Speaker 6: Thanks for covering for me, Beryl, I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw football players on a football field as I walked down.
Speaker 4: Had about twenty thirty guys out there today.
Speaker 6: Really, well, who are they? Unrecognizable people? Did you do well?
Speaker 4: They didn't have their jerseys on.
Speaker 5: These are come on, mister, These aren't tryout guys like he needs ID people. These aren't tryout guys. These aren't guys coming in for workout, you know, free agents or whatever. These are guys on the fifty three man roster during the season. These are guys on the what is a growing roster getting up to ninety which I have after the draft and so forth, and it's time to get to work. Of course, the rest of the league who changed head coaches, they could start their off season programs a week ago. Well this is the start today.
Speaker 6: Everybody weird on the numbers. Ninety for the off season. That's a lot.
Speaker 4: You probably had one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 7: That's what's crazy, because ninety is a big number, yes, and that's.
Speaker 5: How you get through these preseason games.
Speaker 7: Though, Now that was ninety for the entire team. Yeah, we had one twenty five.
Speaker 5: Rookies reporting like July fourth, thousand for two weeks, right for two weeks a rookie camp before training camp.
Speaker 6: Godly, that's crazy, man, that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Those were the odds that were stacked. Again, and we don't have personal walls. Out of Grambling State University at nineteen eighty one, it.
Speaker 10: Called Oaks California called me off Oklahoma sooner who leaves the ris to a win. I'm that guy. I'm him. I'm him.
Speaker 5: That's what defying the odds were you giddy too?
Speaker 6: I wasn't giddy? No I was. I was. I was geeked, but not getting giddy.
Speaker 4: Giddy is the Australian guy the thunder.
Speaker 6: Oh you mean the person giddy? You got clear?
Speaker 1: I thought I thought you were, said Reeves. I said giddy, I thought you were.
Speaker 4: I never heard of the guy he scored thirty one points.
Speaker 5: I saw him score forty in a game at TCU in college.
Speaker 6: Really you late to the party?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't watch you don't watch bad And we don't want to talk about NBA now either. There's more important things to talk about. You want to start with the breaking news of the morning.
Speaker 6: No, that's I don't want to talk about that either.
Speaker 1: You can't identify with two hundred and fifty five five five.
Speaker 7: I am proud of him, though, Texas kid. You know the way I've always talked about how I really admired how Jalen changed his game coming out of college.
Speaker 5: And we should say for those who haven't heard, Jaan Hurt has agreed to a contract extension which will make him the highest paid player in National Football League history five years, two hundred and fifty five million, one hundred eighty nine million in guarantees and a no trade class. Go ahead, every man.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying proud of him, the way he changed his game, the way he adapted to on every level. You know, when he left Alabama, they won the championships, but he was not that guy. Then he goes to Oklahoma, he wasn't that guy. He was, but he was a Heisman Trophy candidate, right, And that means that he was able to adapt once again. He went from being an all running quarterback to a very decent, more than decent quarterback. Took his struggles into the NBA, into the NFL, and as a second round draft pick, after a few years, he actually became a Super Bowl quarterback.
Speaker 5: It is a lesson to so many out there today who are diving into that transfer portal at the at the earliest sign of problems at whatever school you're at. For these for these freshmen who report to college and then they're not getting playing time or whatever. Well, here's a guy at who was at Alabama who earned the starting quarterback position and then in the middle of a national championship game had it taken away from him. And he doesn't get upset and leave school and go transfer someplace else. He stayed and while Tua was the starting quarterback, he was actually needed late in that next season in the SEC championship game, comes off the helps his team, and then he graduates from college. And then at that point, even with the approval or the I wouldn't don't know if it's recommendation so much, but with the graces of Nick Saban, who actually helped him find a landing spot, he transfers to Oklahoma as a graduate and then for a year there, and then he gets into the NFL and he's the second round in Oklahoma Lincoln Riley and and that's where he ran the ball more than he passed the ball. And as you said, he was at a nice season at Oklahoma, and then he goes into the NFL and people were saying, oh, no, he's he's a running quarterback.
Speaker 6: He can't.
Speaker 5: But through it all he showed great leadership, not only at Alabama but also in his one year at Oklahoma. He was unquestionably the leader of that team. Much like the quarterback we have here in dak Prescott. He goes to Philadelphia as a backup and everyone just uh clamored to him, you know, his teammates uh uh, and.
Speaker 7: The organization it really seemed to like him as a.
Speaker 5: Leader, and you know why because of his work ethic and he was he was a nose to the grindstone guy, just like Dak Prescott here, the guy that you want to have your face of your organization.
Speaker 6: And they really put all of the talent around him.
Speaker 5: And that's the good news for the Cowboys is now they're having to pay their quarterback and take up that. This is why this is somebody.
Speaker 1: Already this year, everybody last year, they were able to make the moves they made in free agency because they.
Speaker 5: Weren't paying their quarterbacks. And now they're paying their quarterback.
Speaker 1: And now and understand this is an extension because he's still on the last year of his rookie contract.
Speaker 7: Now Watson type of contract in regards to he's not into the new into the extension yet.
Speaker 1: Right the base salaries, yes, his base salary for twenty twenty three is still there, but they can put some of the signing bonus into this year. You know what, I think he's a poster boy for showing the value of not leaving college early to go into the NFL and get all the snaps available in college.
Speaker 6: Situation was great for him and then changed his whole.
Speaker 1: Game and then for everybody else out there. Don't judge a quarterback after one year or two years. Sometimes it takes.
Speaker 6: A while to fill up with him the stick.
Speaker 1: No, when you take one in the first round, if he doesn't play well, I'll clean it up. The first year.
Speaker 4: It's like, Okay, this guy can't play right, just right them off. Well.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it takes overquile to develop, and the teams force guys to play because of the money they spend on them, and it shouldn't affect it anymore because if you're a rookie on a rookie contract, you're not making fifty two hundred and fifty five million, right.
Speaker 6: It's tach for him to break into the starting lineup.
Speaker 1: Well, he started somewhat his second year and this was really his first full censor.
Speaker 4: Am I right? Third year?
Speaker 5: He no, this was his second year year. This was his second year as a full time starter. His rookie year in twenty twenty, he played in fifteen games. He started four games at the end of the season and had a one in three record as a starting quarterback. And then in twenty twenty one, he started fifteen games, they went eight and seven. He complete, take it back to his rookie year, he only completed fifty two percent of his passes, had four picks and six touchdowns, and I don't have his rushing stats in front of me, but all right. So then the next year they go eight and seven with him as the starting quarterback in his fifteen start, sixty one percent completion percentage, nine picks, sixteen touchdowns. And then this year Pro Bowl season, near MVP season, they went fourteen and one when he was the starter in fifteen games and six picks, twenty two touchdowns and.
Speaker 6: A very good Super Bowl game.
Speaker 7: He didn't go in, and the moment was never too big for him except for the one mistaken made.
Speaker 5: And he had seven hundred and eighty four yards rushing in twenty twenty one, seven sixty and thirteen touchdowns in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 4: So it was kind of a gradual progression for him.
Speaker 5: But even go back to college and to your point on when we look at these quarterbacks coming into the draft this year and the need for them to play immediately or or take a year learn the NFL. So forth, you go back to his college days, and he was a starter at Alabama in twenty sixteen and twenty seventeen, and that was the year where then Tua took over the national championship game and they won. Twenty eighteen, he's the backup okay, and came in as needed late in the year, and then transferred Oklahoma in twenty.
Speaker 6: Valuables for Alabama when he came in.
Speaker 5: So he had over one thousand pass attempts in college.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Everson not only two hundred and fifty five million over five years, another fifteen million in its centives he can earn.
Speaker 6: Wow, what do you need a sentis.
Speaker 4: Well? Playoff? Is the production?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Team stuff.
Speaker 1: So it ends up being an average if my math's correct, fifty one million a year.
Speaker 5: Okay. So where's Dak in his contract right now? He's halfway through half year.
Speaker 4: This will be his third season of four.
Speaker 3: What if Dak okay, so, Jalen had one year, had one has one year left on his contract.
Speaker 5: And gets this deal. Okay, what if Dak puts together the same kind of season this year that Jalen put together last year? What does that do for Dak Prescott? Then next year at this time.
Speaker 4: He's asking for two hundred and seventy million.
Speaker 6: That's give me more.
Speaker 5: That's that's the carrot out there for Dak Prescott and your Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Don't think that alert came across with quarterback.
Speaker 5: Quarterbacks all across the league had an extra bounce in their steps and they so.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, he has his own turf now with the house.
Speaker 1: Oh he's had it, yes, yeah, yeah, and he's been throwing what what uh one of the wide receivers that he'd been working out with him out in his backyard. I can't remember it pointed out, but anyway, he's been throwing the guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you know, but that's the market.
Speaker 1: And again they couldn't resign all their defensive linemen, right linebackers. They Philadelphia had to let some guys go.
Speaker 6: And the market grave is gone to the enemy. Right.
Speaker 5: Try the market for quarterbacks when they sign this contract. It's like when you buy a car. As soon as you drive it off the lot, the value of that contract goes down. The value of that car goes down. Well, Jalen's gonna he's gonna sign that contract. He's going to drive out of the parking lot and the value of that contract is going down because they're going the next one that comes along. What do you think Lamar Jackson's thinking, I.
Speaker 6: Was just gonna. Lamar Jackson right now is going crazy. And I'm sure the Ravens off.
Speaker 4: He's already been going.
Speaker 7: I'm sure that puts a lot of pressure, not just on the Mark but the Ravens themselves.
Speaker 6: I mean, you see everyone's getting the jet, the quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: So now Dashawn his was fully guaranteed the whole thing, Yes, at two hundred and forty what was it?
Speaker 4: I believe him to forty.
Speaker 5: So would if the Ravens offered Lamar Jackson this deal five years, two fifty five, one eighty nine guaranteed, would Lamar Jackson take it?
Speaker 7: He's already been offered something similar to that, am I right?
Speaker 6: And he turned it down.
Speaker 1: He wanted to be the highest paid, Okay, so this was now the highest paid just went up.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the but the guaranteed money, right is Deshaun Watson has more guaranteed money right than Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 1: Hurts got one hundred and seventy nine one hundred and twenty six and a half uh guaranteed at signing yeah, all right, we got a crowd when you looked up, I said, Oh, Nate's showing now we wish Oh heyah threatened, he threatened to show up.
Speaker 6: He should man, miss Nate.
Speaker 5: What does Nate want to talk about?
Speaker 1: He wanted to talk about the Cowboys not drafting a running back in the first round.
Speaker 5: Oh maybe we'll maybe we'll have to be after that coming up.
Speaker 1: Here, because he thinks if they take care of the guard position in the tight end position, that that would take care of the running back position.
Speaker 6: A true.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And we.
Speaker 1: Had like a half hour discussion. I went in the Knick's office to talk to him, but I didn't.
Speaker 6: Close the door.
Speaker 1: A half hour later, I walked out and everybody's like, well, that was a show. We should have recorded it because we didn't agree.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: So what day was this Friday? Because I got a call Friday or Thursday?
Speaker 5: I got a call from date Friday. I can't remember what day it was, but I bet I.
Speaker 4: Bet it was Thursday because no one was here Friday.
Speaker 5: I bet it was after your conversation.
Speaker 4: I think it was before.
Speaker 6: Maybe it was.
Speaker 5: Did he so I helped give him ammunition for debate with you?
Speaker 1: No, he no, because he had called me and I didn't call him back till later, and he said, oh I already talked to Bill. Okay, all right then, and then you must have reinforced his resolved.
Speaker 5: Well, we don't have time to wait on Nate. We're gonna do that ourselves, right because we just have this show and next Monday show, and then it's draft time the following Thursday. So we got a lot to get into here. How about we take a break and we come back. We would talk run game. We want to talk this team's run game when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Tech. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: We paid how much for those lessons?
Speaker 12: She's doing great?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, totally can you pass me a Pepsi zero sugar. A great job, honey, Oh oh, look at that.
Speaker 11: That's not the end, No way, Now it's time for the encore.
Speaker 6: You know what, You're right? Five times?
Speaker 13: Not enough times for everyone who traded in rock concerts for their kids' recitals. You've compromised enough. Pepsi zero sugar.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 14: Nobody protects you from mayhem like all State. You hear that I'm a torrential downpour? Torrential?
Speaker 5: What's that even mean?
Speaker 15: It means you can't see out of your windshield, and if you have the wrong car insurance, you might have to make it rain.
Speaker 16: To fix your bumper.
Speaker 4: So switch to All States, save.
Speaker 14: Money and be better protected from mayhem like me.
Speaker 9: Based on coverage and them it's selected Sandy to terms and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buy. All State Barncashy Insurance Company and Affiliates s Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 17: What do you call a group of grown men and women with their faces painted silver and blue who get together every week to share a three hour long ritual of jumping, sinking, and toasting Miller lite and tim gallon hats while yelling how about them Cowboys. You call it Miller time in Dallas. Here's to the Cowboys, Here's to the original light beer.
Speaker 6: It's Miller time.
Speaker 17: Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty one. Miller Brewing Company, Fort Orth, Texas.
Speaker 1: De Mixed Shots, KPE Post Roofing and Waterproofing, proud partner of the Dallas Cowboys from corporate homes to your home. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now two one four two two five four eight six to zero kpostcompany dot com.
Speaker 5: Okay, so here we are talking run game. This ought to be very interesting. In fact, I've spent a lot of time here in the last few days just trying to figure out what the Cowboys need to do as to improve their run game. And to the point, then last night late and then this morning I went back and just tried to did a refresher course, tried to refresh my memory on exactly what was going on with the run game in the late in the season and in the postseason, and to refresh everybody's memory on it. You know, the Cowboys run game was doing all right last year until December and then December and January, whether it was Ezekiel Elliott or Tony Pollard, they weren't getting much in the run game. And in fact, if you look after the Terrence Steel injured, which was which was right before halftime of the Houston game, and that was they had four more regular season games after that after that point in the season. I did the math on it. Ezekiel Elliott averaged two point seven yards per carry the rest of the regular season and it didn't get any better in the playoffs. And Tony Pollard averaged two point nine to five yards per carry the last four games of the season.
Speaker 1: Probably only because he busted a long one to stretch a two point two average out.
Speaker 5: And so there was a clearly an issue that the Cowboys were having with the run game.
Speaker 7: You could clearly see. I recall when Still went down. Somehow our tackles, our runs for losses increased big time.
Speaker 6: We had a lot of negative plays when he went down.
Speaker 1: Well, two things happened. I don't know if you could tell. Number one, when Steele went down, so they put Tyron Smith there.
Speaker 5: Well that immediately they put Josh Ball there because Tyron wasn't active yet. It was the next week week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyron Smith hadn't played a down of football since August.
Speaker 4: It was a week and a.
Speaker 1: Half before the start of the season, and now all of a sudden, he's got to go play and a position he hadn't played since twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: He was okay, right, He wasn't.
Speaker 5: Great, No, but he wasn't bad.
Speaker 4: But he wasn't bad.
Speaker 1: No, But it wasn't what Terrren Steele was giving them in the run game, I think.
Speaker 5: And if you just any proof of that, just listen to anything Zach Martin has said about Terry Steele in the run game in the last year and a half, and he has nothing. I mean, he basically was quoted mid season last year as saying he's never been never played next to a guy who's better in the blocking in the run.
Speaker 6: Game, and Terry his game a lot easier as well, that's right.
Speaker 1: And then if you remember, and it stretched over two games when Beyotdish got hurt in the game and then they had to move the guard to center, the tackle to guard, and somebody else had to play tackle who was.
Speaker 4: Forty years old and so and then he missed the game, and it just.
Speaker 5: Would you recall who they started the starting five up front in the Tampa Bay game in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: So they started with Jason Peters.
Speaker 5: Jason Peters played left tackle, Tyler Tyler Smith at left guard. Beyotdish was its center, Zach Martin and Tyrone Smith, and they played a lot of Connor McGovern at fullback or as a third tiight.
Speaker 1: End, which I thought that was the most valuable part of all that, right, because I kept seeing people pointing out in the offseason, Oh, the Cowboys lost Jason Peters.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, ok, he was okay.
Speaker 5: And then for the San Francisco get they had lost Jason Peters in the Tampa game, right, and so then McGovern had to go back to left guard, So Tyler Smith is at left tackle, and so that the full back lost that tied end.
Speaker 4: They were using McEwan right.
Speaker 5: Av On Collins came came as that in their and McGovern was starting. McGovern was starting to left guard. So that's how they were tricking it up. And that was the thing when I went back and looked at the two playoff games, they were tricking it up, just trying to run the ball, just to get anything going. So many three tight end formations and they were into a you know, third and one or third and two situation, and they had to run trick plays just to get a yard. The problem was not Ezekiel Elliott or obviously Tony Pollard had a great year. But the problem was not the running backs. The problem was nothing else, and I'm not sure that it was necessarily just the offensive line. I think part of it, too, is this team was not threatening the opponents in the passing game to where Tampa Bay and San Francisco were able to load up to stop the run, especially in obvious run situations.
Speaker 7: Well, it's always been. That's always been the way they've defeated the Cowboys. Any opposition that you know goes into it with a particular game plan, it was always let's see if Dak can beat us. That's always been the case. And really, if you're looking at except for some exceptional quarterbacks, if you're looking at beating any team, that's what you want to stop.
Speaker 6: First. You want to make sure they cannot run the ball on you. First.
Speaker 7: We're looking at our Cowboys wide receivers. As much as we love them, they're all people that we are endoing with over the season. We know eventually it's been it was, it was came out of the fog. We only have one number one wide receiver, and when you look at our number two receiver injured.
Speaker 6: A lot coming off in Acum.
Speaker 7: Wasn't really ready to make the moves that need to be made. We asked him to run routes that really weren't helping on based on the.
Speaker 6: Surgery that he just had.
Speaker 7: Had hold Mill and a lot of different wide receivers in there, I would have taken that approach as well, how well can these receivers help our quarterback based on their lack of experience.
Speaker 5: The other part of it is when you go back to last off season, is signed James Washington, and James Washington didn't pan out. He got hurt in the early part of the CAF, so he was coming off an injury too. You had traded Amari Cooper away, and so there was the obvious need right there was a void. He had a third round draft pick, Jaalen Tolbert, who needed more than he wasn't able to step in and contribute his rookie year. We'll see where he is now going into his second year. But there was that void that they that they had and they tried to once they saw that James Washington didn't have what he needed. Then they finally got t Y Hilton in here, and it was too late.
Speaker 1: And in the playoff games, I just looked he two games he had three catches.
Speaker 5: So but you can't I mean, you really can't expect.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying that was the third guy behind the second guy who still wasn't himself.
Speaker 7: And you're just saying that's what we had to deal with in a passing situation.
Speaker 5: Right, And that all contributed to what was going on in the run game late in the season two.
Speaker 6: But to me, you started in the beginning.
Speaker 7: Our offensive line, if they are stable, and it's always been like that around.
Speaker 6: Here, especially since that culture changed.
Speaker 7: Our offensive line has always been the strength of this team.
Speaker 6: And we have depth. But was that depth good enough to keep us going strong?
Speaker 1: And it just was not so going forward, They've got two questions on that offensive line that need answers. Number One, is Terrence Steel ready to start the season because he had the surgery December thirteenth.
Speaker 4: So do the math.
Speaker 1: If it takes you seven months to recover, We're talking end of July, right, training camp's already started.
Speaker 4: If it takes nine months.
Speaker 1: We're talking the end of September. So what happens at that right tackle spot?
Speaker 4: And then number two? How do they.
Speaker 1: Judge what Tyron Smith can give them? Is he a swing tackle?
Speaker 6: But I'd rather he not be at this age?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: So is he the starting left tackle? I see if Terrence Steele's ready to go at right tackle, but if he's not, is he's the starting right tackle?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: The easy spot. The easiest part of this would be Terrence coming back in time.
Speaker 5: Right, but there's no guarantee. And even in case scenario, he's going to be right up again pushing the start of the regular and I think everybody.
Speaker 6: Even when he comes back, you still have to.
Speaker 4: Get into it right.
Speaker 6: You got to.
Speaker 5: Practice, and you lost Connor McGovern right in free agency, so you have a hole at left.
Speaker 4: Guard right now.
Speaker 1: If if everything was equal and Terren Steele's ready to go, and you think Tyron Smith's got another year on him, then he could be your left tackle. Tyler Smith can move in to left guard. Got beattish and Martin right, but they won't know that now. I think everybody got carried away. When I think Stephen Jones, I think it was at the Combine said that Terren Steele was ahead of schedule.
Speaker 4: Okay, what's ahead of schedule, right?
Speaker 1: I mean you still got to go out and practice and be ready to start. So even if it's eight months, we can start, you know. Okay, he had the surgery the middle of December, let's start January. Eight months means the end of August, and does that mean that's when he gets to start practicing again? So I think that has to be resolved and then you've got to figure out where the rest of it is.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: You signed Tuma Edoga a doga, but he's never been. They signed him to a one year veteran exception contract, which tells me he's a stopgap measure.
Speaker 5: The idea would be he's probably going to be a backup. Yeah, and he's in his career. He was a third round draft pick out of USC in twenty nineteen by the Jets, started eight games his rookie year, and then after that started four games and then no games in twenty twenty one, and was picked up by Atlanta last year and two games, one start. In his career twenty six games, thirteen starts.
Speaker 3: So he's not you're not going to sink your teeth, and he's playing tackle not guard.
Speaker 6: All right, so then you can't really use him the way you use McGovern. Can you use him as the fullback? Is he? Does he have that kount of a because you're going to have to have somebody do that.
Speaker 5: Why why do we have to have an offensive lineman do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what they're getting.
Speaker 5: Look at San Francisco, what they are they got use check at full back. They've used their tight ends in the blocking of the alignment. Yeah that's right.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean, but he's big as a linement. He's not.
Speaker 5: All the Ravens guys, you just can't.
Speaker 1: They're just they're just so hard to find because they got college game doesn't use a full back.
Speaker 5: I got your answer.
Speaker 4: You got one.
Speaker 5: Get that Georgia tight end in here, and you're going to help your run game immensely. Okay, Darnell Washington.
Speaker 4: Do I have to take him in the first round?
Speaker 5: Yes, because he ain't getting out of the first round.
Speaker 6: So he's an athlete.
Speaker 5: I love it as long as but anyway, that's the best athlete.
Speaker 6: We need to get off on that right now. But I'm just sitting there.
Speaker 4: That's I'm sitting there.
Speaker 5: It is part of the equation. And I'm sitting there watching those playoff games last year and how they were having to trick it up in the run game and everything using offensive guards as fullbacks and h third tight ends. Well, just make your starting tight end Darnell Washington and then you can have even you can go eleven personnel and still be able to run the football with an extra offensive lineman there.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm sure he's not the only tight end that we can do that with coming out of the draft, because.
Speaker 5: He's got he's got the ability to catch the ball too.
Speaker 6: They are, but coming out of college, you got to watch him.
Speaker 1: So if you need to watch this, the Cowboys history, the first round tight ends, first round tight ends stops at two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't look at him just as a tight end, okay, And.
Speaker 1: I don't look as the twenty sixth pick as a first round pick. Might as well back second. That's right in five picks here in the.
Speaker 5: Putting that draft board to can we take a guard? Can I round? Took took one last year?
Speaker 4: Second round?
Speaker 17: How long?
Speaker 6: How loo was it though? How was it twenty.
Speaker 5: Four last year?
Speaker 4: But he was a tackle?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was an that can they find a tackle that can play guard?
Speaker 6: Yeah? You can. You keep letting you get that last word.
Speaker 4: I will.
Speaker 6: And uh.
Speaker 5: The other thing that's happened is Mike Solario is now your offensive line coach, right, h yeah, who was an assistant coach and an assistant offensive line coach when Everson was a Cowboy.
Speaker 6: That's crazy, oh man.
Speaker 1: So the last time they took a tight end in the first round was David Lafleur. They have you second round, and he was he wasn't as bad as people make him out to be, and he heard his bad act and he never was the same.
Speaker 4: Because I saw somebody did the.
Speaker 1: Cowboys five worst draft picks and they picked la Floor and he got hurt. He Shaunte Coller, Chante Carver, and Taco Charlton never were hurt.
Speaker 6: So Taco made the list.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so did Chante Carver.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: And also, oh the linebacker the son of the running back.
Speaker 3: From Bobby car Okay, never let's get off, but but rabbit hole Billy Billy Joe Dupree was the other first one that was a great one.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: So we've talked about the problems with the run game, whatever, Okay, how do you fix it?
Speaker 1: Well, they didn't help it, by I mean, they helped the salary cap by letting Zeke go, but it didn't help the running game. So they got a they got another. They need another running back right now, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know clear that they're going to draft a running back at some point right the first or second day.
Speaker 5: Now. I had Clarence Hill on my show last night on CBS eleven, and I knew he being a Texas longhorn. I knew that we and I believe he's also the agent for b Jon Robinson, and I knew we were gonna get.
Speaker 18: Okay, we're gonna get everything about b Jeon Robinson on this show, and he delivered last night to the point that we started the show by basically fitting b Jon Robinson for his gold jacket.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think those words even came out of his mouth, something about a gold jacket. And so Bjeon Robinson, in Clarence Hill's estimation, might be the greatest running back in the history of football.
Speaker 4: Ever to be better than Earl Camps.
Speaker 5: So if that's the case, then he's not going to be there at number twenty six, right, But apparently people are thinking that they've devalued running backs to the point that the greatest running back of all time might still be there at twenty six.
Speaker 6: Doubt I mean money, No, I want to say that.
Speaker 4: So here's here's my deal. At twenty six. I don't have to have a running back, But who gives me the most juice? Like who gives me who's the best athlete?
Speaker 1: I went through it for Friday, and it's like I, as you know, everybody criticizes this team, but they don't have many walk in starter spots available.
Speaker 5: On this team.
Speaker 4: On this team, if you think about it, where.
Speaker 5: Are they right now? What are the walk in starters? And I look at running back as being a tandem.
Speaker 4: Right I do too. So there's a spot.
Speaker 5: There's a spot at running back.
Speaker 4: There's a spot at tight end quarterback. There's a spot at tight end.
Speaker 1: But I can get by with the two guys I got, but I need one.
Speaker 5: On the spot at that. You could use a walk in starter. At left guard, I.
Speaker 1: Can use an offensive lineman somehow ways. Defensive end, you're gonna have to be pretty good to overtake, you know, But they use a rotation there, so I could a guy can But he's gonna have to jump like Sam Williams or Dorence Armstrong. I about linebacker, I say linebacker, linebacker, I say linebacker. There is a spot depending on what you do with the young Michael Parsons, right, because if you're not.
Speaker 5: Well, look at this last year. I mean, you've go Anthony Barr started ten games, it had over six hundred snaps and that has not been replaced.
Speaker 1: You've got Damon Clark, but he's not He's not what Anthony Barr was.
Speaker 5: But you cant have issues at linebacker.
Speaker 1: You could have Parsons, vander esh and Damon Clark.
Speaker 4: I can I could play that, yes, okay.
Speaker 5: But you can. You can if there is a linebacker that you want to take. Even at twenty six, there's a spot. There's a playing role for him, a role, yes, yes, where he could actually start half the games, okay, depending.
Speaker 4: On what cornerback. Well, Gilmore replaced Anthony Brown.
Speaker 1: Right now, what do you do at the slot? Is Jordan Lewis good to go?
Speaker 4: But he's on a one year deal.
Speaker 5: Uh and Drayon's on a one year deal and Gilmore's got two left.
Speaker 6: One okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah, but just just like a wide regardless. You just becssed this year though, this coming.
Speaker 4: Out doron Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 1: So if I get a corner, he's going to have to beat out one of those those two guys.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't I wouldn't take a call, so you wouldn't take I would not take not in the first I would take a.
Speaker 4: Linebacker and then safety. You're not doing that.
Speaker 1: I think the Cowboys in their history have only taken one safety after.
Speaker 4: Mel renfro Plus.
Speaker 6: We look, we're good there. Yeah, we're good there. Regardless of if someone's available.
Speaker 4: You got good. You got four guys to pit.
Speaker 1: Yes, So if you look at the amount of walk in Day one starting positions, they don't have that many. So to me, when you get to twenty sixth, it doesn't matter the position. I can't go into this draft and saying I need a guard or I need a tight end. I need that player that's awfully good. And I've got linebacker, I've got running back, tight end maybe, I mean, who knows wide receiver?
Speaker 4: I don't know. Yes, I just need some juice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean if there's a wide receipt, yes, I mean you got your guys you can play. But if he's good enough, he's gonna play right.
Speaker 6: And he better be really good. Well, there's there's they can come in start for us.
Speaker 4: Michael Gallup's got to return to being Michael.
Speaker 7: I'm not thinking about Michael. We just we just signed Brandon What about him?
Speaker 4: Oh No, I'm good with Cooks and I'm good with.
Speaker 1: CD Who's Bill made a point before he started the show. They haven't replaced the past catching ability of Amari Cooper.
Speaker 4: If there's one of those.
Speaker 5: Well, Brandon Cooks is the guy right now that that has to be that guy.
Speaker 6: That's the way I see it. But I say, we don't.
Speaker 5: But you're not in regards to the draft. You're not drafting just for this year.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 5: You've got to look at where is your roster next year, the year after, the year after, especially in the first round. You're looking at five years and for instance, get back to the running backs. I think, and this is a some people might think this is a crazy thought. But I sat there and I looked at Ezekiel Elliott last year. I'm looking at video of him. I went back and looked at him coming out of the draft. Man Ezekiel Elliott at Ohio State was unbelievable. The power with which he ran the football and the speed and everything. I mean, that's there's a reason he was the fourth pick in the draft. And I was not going to get into this with Clarence last night on the show. I just wanted to let him be his Bjeon guy whatever. And I love everything about Bijeon, as far as his makeup and all that. Ezekiel Elliott. If Ezekiel Elliott in twenty sixteen, if Bejean was in the same draft, I'd take Ezekiel Elliott. And I went back and looked at him last year and I don't think. I think for this year, Zeke Elliott would be more productive on this team than anybody in that draft.
Speaker 4: I won't.
Speaker 6: I want him back.
Speaker 1: So here's the bottom line on him. If his base salary was five million dollars, he'd be here. They based the whole thing on ten point right, everyone, And and they say they didn't want to insult him with a low offer. As Michael Irvin taught me once, guys will take a pay cut in someone else's locker room, but not their.
Speaker 4: Own, right, right.
Speaker 1: But you're right on Zeke, And I still think if you get through the draft and you're in May and you didn't get the running back you wanted three million.
Speaker 6: That guy.
Speaker 7: I would be constantly on the phone with him if I'm management, saying.
Speaker 6: Hey, you stay in shape, and I don't because you never know what's going to happen after this draft.
Speaker 5: I don't care that Zeke's not a home run threat. That's not that's not what he is. That's not what Emmett was. I want the guy who can push a pile. I want the guy who Against San Francisco in the playoff game, they were tricking it up, trying to figure out how we're going to get this one yard and they line up Zeke right up next to the offense, right up behind the right guard, and they got pollared in the backfield. They're doing all this deception. They hand the ball to Zeke and it's a run blitz and he gets hit in the backfield two yards behind the line of scrimmage, and somehow, some way, Zeke Elliott is able to lunge forward and get the first down.
Speaker 6: I remember that.
Speaker 1: All I know is I'm like, you've got to reach and they want to get rid of this guy. You got to replace his twelve touchdowns yep, seven of which were one Ard runs.
Speaker 4: We pointed that out.
Speaker 1: Also, he was twelve of fourteen on third and one.
Speaker 4: You got to have that, right.
Speaker 6: We don't have that now.
Speaker 4: And he wasn't lumbering.
Speaker 1: I get tired of hearing three point eight yards of carry, all right, it's what they asked.
Speaker 4: Him to do. He did.
Speaker 5: And by the way, before the Terrance Steel injury, he was averaging four point three yards per Carrie, right, which is right near his career average at four point four, which is what Emmett averaged in his career.
Speaker 1: So, and let me also point out on this running back thing, you said, this draft is not all about this year. You got to worry about twenty twenty four. Right, Who's your running back in twenty twenty four? Because you didn't want to extend Tony Pollard, you gave him the franchise tag, right, Well, are you going to sign him to a long term deal after this year or do you need another running That is why?
Speaker 5: How about this hot sports opinion, That is why if you were able to sign Zeke right now at something that fits in your salary cap, I would do that and I would take a running back at number twenty six. If B Jhon Robinson was at number twenty six, I'd take him, and even if I signed even had Zeke on this roster because of not only what he could do this year, but he's going to be your lead dog maybe next year.
Speaker 7: Guys, we have seen running backs come from nowhere on some very good teams and.
Speaker 6: They no one talked about them before the draft.
Speaker 7: Every year there's a running back that we never heard of with a team that's getting off and we never talked about him before the draft.
Speaker 6: There are still going to be some running backs.
Speaker 7: Out there that will fit what the Cowboys are trying to do. But to me, I think if you already have that guy, meaning Ezekiel Elliott, I would hope he would come back. I am hoping. I've been saying that since.
Speaker 4: I don't think he wants to leave.
Speaker 6: I don't either. No one's picked him up yet, right.
Speaker 5: No market running is not out there, no no. And it's that it has nothing to do with Zeke's performance. It's teams aren't paying running backs basically, what they're just looking what everyone's gotten.
Speaker 1: There signing guys one year one year, and you don't give him a whole bunch of money.
Speaker 5: If Zeke were to come back here at the economical rate whatever it is, he could make more in marketing endorsements than.
Speaker 1: And he doesn't have to move, he doesn't have to pay state income tax.
Speaker 7: And you have the familiarity between he and the team, the quarterback, the coach, but he knows.
Speaker 1: The whole There would be a standing ovation in that locker room.
Speaker 5: But he came back for this team. Right now, I can't find a running back in this draft who can get the dirty yards that Zeke Elliott.
Speaker 7: We don't have well right now, we don't have it on the team as well. And having said that, what is how is Tony doing?
Speaker 4: Which is the other.
Speaker 6: Right, that's the main thing. How was he going to be?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Is he the same guy?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: All right, we need to take a break. Okay, all right, take a break. We got more in a moment.
Speaker 16: We paid how much.
Speaker 17: For those lessons?
Speaker 16: She's doing great?
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally. Can you pass me a pepsi zero sugar? A great job, honey, Oh look at that. That's not the end, no way.
Speaker 11: Now it's time for the encore.
Speaker 17: You know what?
Speaker 6: You're right?
Speaker 13: Five times not enough times for everyone who traded in rock concerts for their kids' recitals. You've compromised enough PEPSI zero sugar.
Speaker 6: That's what I like.
Speaker 14: Nobody protects you from Mayhem like All State. You hear that I'm a torrential downpour? Torrential?
Speaker 5: What's that even mean?
Speaker 15: It means you can't see out of your windshield and if you.
Speaker 14: Have the wrong car insurance, you might have to make it rain to.
Speaker 16: Fix your bumper.
Speaker 14: So switch to all State, save money and be better protected from Mayhem like me based.
Speaker 9: On coverage and them It's selected sendery to TERRMS conditions and availability in most states. Prices very based on how you buying. All State barn Cashty Insurance Company and Affiliates, north Brook, Illinois. The Medal of.
Speaker 11: Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 16: The season is finally here. For months, we've been gearing up to win. Now it's time for the team that performs on any field. United Agon Turf with John Deere zero turns for mowing, Compact tractors for loading, many excavators for digging, Gator utility vehicles for hauling, implements for grading, hay tools for bailing, United Agon Turf for winning. The official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com for more.
Speaker 1: To mixed shots, register now for the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboy Youth Camps, prevent presented by in Visionline Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at at and T Stadium or Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players, and dance camps are taught by current.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.
Speaker 1: Save twenty five dollars when you sign up for camp by May twelfth. Visit Dallascowboys dot com. Slash camps all right.
Speaker 5: Two minute warning goes to both benches. We got to get out of here because Clarence Hill is going to bring his gold jacket for b Jhon Robinson here at the show coming up here in just a matter of moments. So a parting shot I've got, and this is a tease for next week, my big Green NFL Draft scouting notebook. I've got two pages of notes on Mike Solari's draft history, offensive lineman, all his team, his teams over the last twenty.
Speaker 12: Jyllan, are you at CBS eleven how many first round draft and let me tell you, it's amazing what he's done in his career without any draft picks.
Speaker 5: Anyway, go ahead, No, I'm saying a parting shot. Need a parting shot from both of you.
Speaker 1: So if preliminary non exclusive sale agreement with the Washington Commanders is worth six billion dollars, if Jerry Jones decided to sell the Cowboys, what could he get?
Speaker 7: God, well, he's already the Witch's sports franchise man.
Speaker 6: Well, in the what did.
Speaker 5: The Bronco The Broncos sell for four and a half or something like that. For so in the year's time, it's gone up a billion and a half a billion.
Speaker 4: We're not talking million.
Speaker 7: Don't the TV contracts have a lot to do with that as well, the increase of the increasing.
Speaker 4: Because because it's more valuable, no doubt.
Speaker 6: But no deal.
Speaker 4: They've got a stadium that is.
Speaker 6: Done.
Speaker 4: They want a new stadium in Washington, d C.
Speaker 6: And they want it back in d C.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, And they don't want to have to put tarp over the empty seats up in the.
Speaker 4: Third or fourth level whatever.
Speaker 6: That is. Well, from what I've heard, they said, this is this was They.
Speaker 7: Said, you talk about standing ovation when this was sold, there was a standing ovation over the entire city of DC.
Speaker 4: And in the NFL office.
Speaker 7: They oh, well, see, everyone was so afraid to go up against the guy because if they go against him, they might start looking into my business as well. Right, so everybody was on their on their pins and needles.
Speaker 4: What do you think cowboys started like ten or twelve.
Speaker 5: Billion? Yeah, well it's not for sale.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and never will be.
Speaker 1: But that's turning four hundred thousand dollars into a lot of money, right.
Speaker 6: And that's his punishment. All right, that does it?
Speaker 4: That's mine? Okay, anybody else that's good?
Speaker 5: I had mine, all right, okay.
Speaker 1: And by the way, the twenty six pick in the draft. I think I mentioned it last week. We talked about it kind of being a second round pick over three years. The twenty sixth pick will make eleven point three million over three years. Yeah, I didn't see what the fourth year was, but the base salary is not that high for a twenty six.
Speaker 6: When is the media? When are y'all salaries going to start increasing?
Speaker 5: Well, that's why the TV contracts for me, they've taken away from all the employees.
Speaker 1: The rest of ours decrease. Yeah, to the point, rights to carry to a point they don't watch you.
Speaker 6: That's right, Yeah, all becoming all right?
Speaker 5: It does it for mixed shots for this week. And oh we'll have a special draft preview show next Monday at eleven am O Cowboys.
Speaker 16: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.