Speaker 1: The last pass hack was worse than initially thought. Sunday Ticket going to YouTube, you can bet it won't be free. Which smartphone has the best camera in twenty twenty two? The answer might surprise you. Plus your tech questions answered? What's going on on Rich Demiro And this is Rich on Tech. This show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about, and it's where I answer the questions you send me. I'm the tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles and soon live on radio stations coast to coast. That is right. This is my very last podcast, but also the start of something new. I know, this is so wild. I've been doing this show for over three hundred episodes since twenty seventeen, I think it was, and from day one, if you've listened to this show since the first day I did it, my goal has always been to make this a useful show and to answer the questions that I get so that everyone else can learn from those questions. And a big part of that was always live callers. Now, if you were with me in the early days, you know that I experimented a lot with a lot of different ways to take live callers, but it was always a challenge because the technology was tricky. Doing it myself was tricky. Screening calls was tricky. Later on, you know, I did have a board that would allow me to do it, but the problem was, you know, I did the show at different times, and so it was tough to tell people to call in because I didn't really know when I was doing the show, and so it was very vexing to get the live callers. And so the idea was always like, Wow, if I could do this on the radio where people knew that they can call in from you know, eleven to two, that would be ideal. And so the idea of doing this show on the radio has always been a dream. Just doing radio in general has always been a dream of mine. If you've listened to this, you know that, I mean you can just tell because look, I mean, who else, Oh wow, this music is still going. Who else would use things like this, you know, and like all these little sound effects and things.
Speaker 2: I just I love radio. It's just fun to me.
Speaker 1: So the reality is, you know, the story Leo Laporte retiring from radio and that opened up a time slot and KFI Premiere Networks was kind enough to say, hey, Rich, do you want to do your podcast on the radio and basically take over this time slot? And so I said absolutely. So the radio show is going to be called Rich on Tech. It's going to be based here in Los Angeles at KFI, but it will be heard on stations across the nation. Now I don't know what all those stations are just yet, because basically they have to figure out where that's going to happen. Each station has to say, yeah, well run Rich. She sounds pretty good. And so I will share more information as I have it.
Speaker 2: I don't have all the answers just yet, believe me.
Speaker 1: And if you've been listening to this podcast and wondering, like Rich, what's going on? Why did it take you so long to do another one? It is all consuming to figure out how to not only negotiate a new show, but also navigate the steps involved in creating a new radio show. If you've listened to my podcast over the years, I think the new show is going to be very, very similar. The biggest difference is that we will have actual callers. There will be a call screen, or there will be people like you can call in. I feel like this show is kind of like office hours for me. So you know, Saturday mornings eleven or two. You've got a problem, you can call Rich. You want a opinion, you have a question, just call me and we'll work it out. We'll see if I can help you out on it. But my plan, like I said earlier, is to make this the most useful show to everyone every week. I want to make it packed with tech tips, reviews, cool new apps, websites, information to keep you safe from scams and other online stuff. I had a major scare yesterday with my Google account. I don't know what happened, but I logged onto a Wi Fi and within minutes Google shut down my entire computer. I'm talking Chrome, I'm talking every website that is affiliated with Google. It signed me out on all of my devices. So if you're keeping your password in your Gmail for something, you would have a very tough time to recover that password.
Speaker 2: Let's say let's.
Speaker 1: Say you keep I mean, just my point is, there is a scenario where Google, if it detects unusual activity on your account, will log you out across all of your devices everywhere, and you will not have access to anything. And if that happens, you better be prepared. I was grossly unprepared, and it really took me back and I ended up having to spend like ten minutes trying to get back into my accounts. Luckily I was able to, but man, it was scary. I mean really really scary. So back your stuff up, have your passwords. It asked me for my you know, backup codes that you originally that it originally generated when I first signed up with my Google account, like you know, a decade ago. I was like, I don't have those. How am I going to find those? I was able to recover my account, but wow, was that scary. So just just you know, that's the kind of stuff that I'll talk about. And now that I've experienced that, I have a newfound appreciation for just being really really careful with stuff. And oh my gosh, that was scary. Anyway, I don't really know what happened. Actually, I think it was something on the Wi Fi that just kind of Google was like, ah, ah, don't we don't like this. They mentioned malware, but I don't think my system has malware on it anyway, So we'll talk about that kind of stuff. I'm also excited to bring on interesting guests. So I'm going to have an ever changing array of guests to talk about a wide topic of issues. People that are smarter than me in a wide variety of topics. I will bring them on, i will talk with them. It will be fresh and different and new every single week.
Speaker 2: And it's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's you know, just nailing down the guests for the first week was tough, but I've got a great one and I cannot wait. And I'm also going to do I want to do a segment where I bring on a smart people and just talk to them about stuff and how they run their lives and what they do. So it's going to be I think, really as long as I enjoy it, that's the main thing. If I'm learning, if I'm growing from this show, I feel like you will too. And that's kind of the idea from it. And again, my biggest secret weapon is actually you. So the emails, the messages, the responses I get to my TV segments really help me understand what's important to you. And so I find that that is a wealth of knowledge. I've been doing a couple of reels over the past couple of days, and I've just been basing them on stuff that people send me, like, hey, Rich, how do I do this on my phone? Oh? Here, let me make a reel and show everyone else too. So anyway, thank you for sticking with me on this podcast.
Speaker 2: It has been an incredible ride.
Speaker 1: I think the biggest challenge with doing this podcast, and by the way, I'm going to do a full show here, so don't just like tune out. I think the biggest challenge with doing the podcast was always the timing of the podcast, and towards the end I got it, it was Friday mornings basically when I recorded it, but it always became an issue of prepping and doing my KTLA stuff and also doing the podcast. Now that it is a show that's live on the radio at eleven am on Saturdays, there's just like there's no avoiding it, like that's when it's happening. And so I think men for me, that's actually a really good thing because I can plan around that. I know, yeah, my weekends are going to forever change because of this show, and it's going to be tough. You know, I've got a family, I've got kids, I've got basketball and baseball games and all kinds of other stuff.
Speaker 2: Happening.
Speaker 1: You know, my weekends are no longer mine, and so it will be a challenge, but I think it's going to be a good thing and I'm very excited to do it.
Speaker 2: So thank you, and I will.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the RSS feed, I know it's getting very technical, but when it comes to like the feed of this show, I expect to be able to just change the feed from whatever it is now to the new feed and hopefully that should just carry over on your phone or your podcast reader. So we'll see if that happens. All right, let's get to the first story of the week, Last Pass. Oh my gosh, Last Past. They cannot catch a break. So basically, the hack that we talked about a couple of weeks ago is much worse than they thought. So according to tech Crunch, the Last has confirmed that cyber criminals stole its customers encrypted password vaults, which store customer passwords and other things. You know, you might have notes in there on stuff, and you know, different things that you can store in that vault. It's like a secure vault. So they updated their blog post and they said that the bad actors took a copy of customer vault data by using cloud storage keys stolen from a Last Pass employee. Oh my gosh. So now the good news is these vaults are encrypted and they can only be unlocked with the master password. But the problem is sometimes people don't use very good master passwords, and that means that these hackers can go through and use software to try to break in to your your vault, and that means they would reveal all of your passwords. So the main thing here is that if you have last pass and it might be time to think about switching over to a new password manager. But I think there's some things you can do to lock this down. So number one, you got to change your current master password, and you want it to be unique and you want it to be long, So don't reuse the same password, and don't make it simple. You might think, oh, I can make it simple because whatever, just don't do that. The other thing is that if you think that your password is weak and the passwords inside your last Pass vault were compromised, you might want to start going on the websites that you know, the important ones at least and changing those passwords, like you're banking and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: If you're using strong passwords, on those.
Speaker 1: If your vault was cracked, they would still be able to get into those, So that's a problem too. And the other thing is that if you're using two factor authentication, you're actually a lot safer in this scenario, which you should be. I talk about this over and over. Please use two factor. I know it's not perfect, but it's the best we have right now. And so if you're using two factor, you're probably safer than the average bear. Because let's say that you had a week past word on your last past vault. They figured out that password, and once they get in, it's going to say, okay, we'll give us the two factor, and then they don't have that. So you should be okay in that scenario. But again, change your master password to something more secure, and for any major website that supports it, please use two factor. And the safest way is really to use one of those authentication apps. But again, look, and I don't claim to be an expert in any of this stuff. I'm kind of swimming alongside you, and you know, I'm doing the best I can with trying to just secure this stuff in the means and ways that I have. But from everything I've been told number one twelve to sixteen characters.
Speaker 2: That's what you want.
Speaker 1: That's the magic number for your generated passwords. You know, use a bunch of random digits and numbers and all that kind of stuff. And then when it comes to two factor, the authentication app is safer than the standard you know, texting you a code. And also when it comes to those security questions, don't ever give out the real answers. The best tip I got was from the CEO of Bitwarden. He said, just use your password manager to generate random answers and paste those in there. And then of course you have to keep those safe so that you can get those. So if it's saying your favorite place to vacation instead of saying Paris, you know, it would be like explanation point x z Y, two ampersand whatever. And I know that's very complicated. But with a good password manager, you can save all those answers and paste them in when you need them. If it gives you answers to choose, from which a lot of these things do just give the wrong answers, and you know, take a screenshot and save that, or save those answers that you've given. I know it gets very very tricky and complicated, and it takes you forever to log back in, but I'm telling you it's worth it. All right, Let's get to the first question of the show. Mike says, good afternoon, Rich. I'm an avid viewer on KTLA five and your web page ever since the twenty dollars wise Cam review. I to use my Apple twelve cell phone from my home and I'm noticing in the upper right hand corner near the battery, I'm getting the SOS in upper case, and I'm wondering, what the heck I thought it was only on the Apple fourteen SOS availability Mike, Mike, great question, and this is actually something I need to address in a reels or on an Instagram story because it's very confusing. So there's two things we're talking about here. Number One, with iOS sixteen, Apple changed the way emergency services looks on your menu bar. They now put an SOS in the upper right hand corner where the signal bar used to be. When you don't have a standard signal, but you also still have a cellular signal that could still be used in case of an emergency, hence the SOS and the background on that is Basically, here in the US, let's say a Verizon subscriber, you don't have a Verizon signal, so typically your show would your phone would show no signal. But there's a law in the US that says your phone can reach out on any carrier network. And in the US we basically have three of them. We have Verizon, we have AT and T, and we have T Mobile, and to a lesser extent, I think there's still a bit of sprint lingering around, and so your phone, as long as it can reach out to any of those networks, if it has the antennas to do that, could call nine on one through AT and T, even if you're a Verizon subscriber, And not many people realize that, but basically, even an unactivated phone that you have in a drawer, as long as it, you know, can latch onto a cell signal, it would still be able to dial nine one one. So that's just the law here in the US. In some countries, like I think Japan, doesn't allow phones that are unactivated to dial nine on one because that could be an issue. So but here in the US that's the way it works. So the reality is the SOS means like Hey, your phone can still dial nine one one even though you don't have a signal from your carrier. Now there's a secondary logo, and this is the logo that's reserved for the iPhone fourteen and up at this point, which there isn't an up but I'm just planning for the future. But there's a satellite logo that would sit next to that SOS logo, And that satellite logo means that, oh, you don't have a cellular signal from anywhere, but you do have a satellite signal. You have satellite availability where you can aim your phone towards the open sky and send a message for help that way. And so I agree it's confusing. I feel like there's gonna be some more messaging around this and some more explanation. But that's the reason why you're seeing SOS on your phone, Mike, You're not seeing the satellite on your phone. Only iPhone fourteen users would use this would be able to see that satellite. And once you see that satellite, that means that you don't have a traditional cellular signal, but you do have a satellite signal available to you or potentially available to you that you could use to send for help. So great question, and I'm glad I was able to clear that up. But again, you gave me a great idea for a new reel. All right, let's talk YouTube paying about two billion dollars a year for NFL Sunday Ticket. This is something that DirecTV has had for many, many years, I think since nineteen ninety four. Whoo. And the reason why it worked so well with DirecTV is because once they sold you on this satellite system, you were basically stuck for a couple of years, and so they would get people in, they would luwer them in with this NFL Sunday Ticket, and once they installed that satellite on your roof and you had a couple of years contract, it was a pretty good situation for DirecTV because they knew that those customers were not going anywhere anytime soon. That's why I think it's so interesting that YouTube is paying so much for this on something they're probably not going to recoup the costs on. Like, is this thing still worth two billion dollars?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure it is.
Speaker 1: But what Sunday Ticket is is basically you will have access or subscribers have access to all of the home all of the games on Sunday that the NFL is playing, except their home team. So if you live in Los Angeles, you would not have access to the home teams here, which are the Rams and the Chargers, so you'd have access to all the other games that you want to watch. So let's say you move from Philadelphia. You'd still be able to watch your home team from there even though you live here, which is typically not available.
Speaker 2: But the idea is that you would still.
Speaker 1: Have access to the Rams and the Chargers, just on local channels or through ESPN or wherever that game is playing. So it's very, very complicated. We're kind of tiptoeing to this world where everything is available everywhere, but with sports, there's such a large amount of money involved that nobody wants wants to be the first to give up everything because they know that once they do that, they're never going back. But we've seen baseball games going to Apple TV. Plus we've seen Thursday Night Football going to Amazon, and there's change happening. It's just not happening as fast as I'd like to see. But you will be able to watch these games on YouTube and YouTube TV. So let me explain how that's gonna work Number one YouTube license the deal for seven years, so they're gonna be paying about two billion dollars a year for seven years. That's a lot of cash. But if anyone has it, I guess Google does. So they haven't said how much this is going to cost, but the previous price was about three hundred dollars. They also had a four hundred dollars price tag for a separate kind of like even more NFL content. But YouTube TV, if you're a subscriber to that, that's pretty simple. It's just gonna be an odd on like you would, like you would subscribe to NBA League Pass or HBO Max or Stars or whatever these things are, you would just subscribe to it. It would show up on your channels. Now, YouTube has this thing that many people don't know about called primetime channels, and so you're able to actually subscribe to a whole bunch of premium channels through YouTube now as of like last month, and so this will be an add on through that.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: You know, you could just basically watch this on your regular YouTube app, but it would be a premium offering through that. How's this going to work? So let's put it this way. According to the Wall Street Journal, YouTube has two billion users and five million subscribers for YouTube tv, so that's not a lot of people. Direct tv has thirteen point five million subscribers, which is a tiny fraction of what they used to have Five years ago, they had more than twenty million customers. So is there any possible way that they could recoup two billion dollars through their two billion users and five million subscriber.
Speaker 2: Maybe, especially with the YouTube accounts.
Speaker 1: But I think the biggest thing here that I like about this deal is that YouTube is just kind of the ideal video player on the Internet. It's just it's second only to Netflix.
Speaker 2: Those are the two.
Speaker 1: I would actually argue that YouTube might even be better. But YouTube and Netflix are kind of the gold standards for video players on the web. And so the fact that you'll now be able to access these games so simply and through a really clean player that works really well on any connection, I think is the big win here. And if the price is a little bit less, that'll be great. But the fact that it's on such a platform that's on any device you can ever imagine, I think that's the big win here. So we'll say sports are a change in that is for sure, all right, Benita says, good morning. I have a new iPhone fourteen and need to back up my old phone before I change. Is there a safe app that deletes duplicate photos I can use? I'm afraid of deleting pictures. Thank you sent for my iPhone. Absolutely. I got a couple of questions about deleting duplicate photos, so I just actually made a reel on my Instagram at rich on Tech all about this. Two ways you can tackle this problem. Number one, well, you kind of said you need to back up your old phone before you change. So number one, when you switch from iPhone to iPhone, the process is like really easy nowadays. It basically uses either your iCloud backup or a super fast Wi Fi direct connection to transfer all of your data. So it's really simple and it's pretty fool proof. But there are issues that happen, so I would definitely recommend backing up your phone. Make sure that your old iPhone has done a complete backup to iCloud. And the way that you can see if that's if that has happened is you go into settings on your iPhone and then you tap iCloud. Oh wow, what's going on there? Okay, then you tap iCloud and then you tap uh, let's see do you tap iCloud again, and then you can go to device backups. It says iCloud backup and it says last successful backup for me was yesterday at eight fifteen pm. And so I can see all my other devices that I have that have been backed up on here as well. And so make sure your iPhone is backed up number one. That's first and foremost. Then let's get into deleting the duplicate pictures. There's two ways you can do this. If you have iOS sixteen on your phone, you can tap the photos app. You can go into albums, scroll all the way down and you'll see under utilities it says duplicates, and you can go through and manage your duplicates there. I don't find that that's very good at all. It's very very basic and it's probably not going to do a very good job. So what I would recommend there's an app called Gemini Gemni and Gemini sort of works under the freemium model, so yes, you will get access to see what this app can do, but you might have to pay a little bit to actually use it, but it is well worth the cash because it is phenomenal. Once it scans your library, you can see similar picks, duplicate picks, videos, screenshots, notes, other and blurry picks. And then you can go through and tap into your similar picks. You can delete the ones that are similar. You can go into your duplicates. You can merge those or delete the duplicates, whatever you want to do.
Speaker 2: You can also go through in.
Speaker 1: The videos and sort by largest videos and delete a couple of those, just to free up a whole bunch of space immediately on your phone. Again, the app is called Gemini. It is the best when it comes to finding duplicates and managing your stuff. I think that that is the phenomenal best way to do it. Bonita, have a great time upgrading your phone. Enjoy the iPhone fourteen. It is a fantastic device. All right, Let's talk about three smartphone hacks to save you big, big bucks. All right, So whenever I see a couple of things happening online, I'm always like, all right, I gotta do a story about that. So I did this story today on KTLA about three tips that I have used myself, but also have been justified by other folks who also posted similar tips. So, first off, George Campbell, this is a Ramsey Solutions personality.
Speaker 2: You know me. I love Dave Ramsey.
Speaker 1: I love the whole you know, debt free lifestyle, all that kind of stuff. And following a lot of what Dave says, I can't say I do it perfectly. I do have a credit card, I will admit that. But I don't try to play the points game as much as many people.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: There are so many people that give me a hard time because they're like, oh, why aren't you doing that for the point And I'm like, ah, because I know it's really I get it, and it's just one of those things where whatever it is, what it is. But I do like Dave Ramsey and I have been listening to him and I do feel like he's actually changed my financial life, and so I am thankful for that. But George is you know, he's got all these you know, Dave is going to retire at some point, so he's got all these up and comers that are sort of taking over and kind of weaving into the show. And George Campbell is one of them. And I find him to be a really good radio personality and also Instagram person and all that good stuff. So he's doing a great job over there. Anyway, he posted a tip that I really liked. I've known about Google Lens forever, but he was saying, basically, if you snap a picture of something that you want on Google Lens, you can use it to not just check the price, but also find that item across various retailers and maybe even cheaper than what you would typically pay for that. So let's say he gave the example of a pair of boots. You see a pair of boots that you love, you take a picture of it with the Google lens. It scans the Internet and finds those boots across a whole bunch of stores. Now, the fancy schmancy boots that sell for three hundred dollars may also be selling at Kohl's for fifty five dollars because it's not exactly the same boots from the designer that you originally wanted, but they're just as good, they look just is good, and they're a whole lot cheaper. So that's the first tip. Open up the Google app on your iPhone, tap the camera icon, and scan stuff with Google lens, and this could be anything. You can scan a building, you can scan a pair of things for shopping. You can scan something that a look that you want. You go to someone's house, you really like the lamp they have, you can scan that. I mean, it's really quite phenomenal because, let's face it, Google has the entire Internet indexed and if something is out there, they know where to find it.
Speaker 2: On Android, it's a lot easier.
Speaker 1: You just have to tap the camera search icon or the camera icon in the search bar on your home screen.
Speaker 2: And so great tip there.
Speaker 1: I've been using this a lot more ever since I saw George feature it, and even though I've been using Google Lends forever, I do think it is way more powerful than I ever imagined. An app called flip flipp This is an app that I use from time to time. It's an app that lets you see all the digital versions of sale flyers that arrive in your mailbox, so you can search through these sale and how is that useful? Well, the other day I needed razors and I like the Geelette. I know, the top of the line Gelette Profusion five blade razors that are so ridiculous. I don't know why they're so expensive, but they are and they've been out for you know, fifteen years, but they're still really expensive, and so, you know, I like to find them. I was ordering them on Subscribe and Save on Amazon, but then it occurred to me, I'm like, you know what, I bet you some of these retailers have these as a loss leader in their store to gets you in at a cheaper price. And sure enough, I searched to Lette on the flip app and it came up with a really good deal at CVS. And not only were the razors like fifty percent off, but they also had like a ten dollars off your razor purchase of like twenty five dollars or more. And when I combine those two things, I got these razors for like, you know, a fraction of the price that I would pay for them on Amazon. So I went I drove over to cvses you have to go to a local store. They also do online deals, but I find that this works better for in store deals, and so I went over to CVS.
Speaker 2: I went to the cashier.
Speaker 1: I tried not to spend extra money at the store as I walked through, because that's the downside of going to an in store shopping experience is that you're probably going to spend more money on all this stuff they try to sell you on whilst you walk through the store. Anyway, to do this hack and it worked out great, so and I did this twice. I also did it for tide pods. My wife wanted to order them on Amazon. I said, hey, let me try my little hack on flip and see if I can find these in store. And sure enough, again as cvs, they were three dollars and seventy nine cents. And yes, I did the math. I divided up the price by how many you get in the pack, and I did that for Amazon and a couple other places, and sure enough, it was like three dollars seventy nine cents for you know, sixteen of these or whatever it was. And it came out the price per pod was cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
Speaker 2: And so I did that.
Speaker 1: My wife, of course, rolled her eyes at me, and I said, hey, I just saved us like two bucks, so and you can save more. You know, you might save two, you might save five, you might save ten, and you might save one.
Speaker 2: Hundred at at some point. So use this hack.
Speaker 1: Open up the flip app search for the specific brand that you want, and it will show you where that item is a deal near you. And it's not going to work every time, but you know, if you like a certain deodorant or a certain razor, or you're looking for a certain you know, appliance, like a coffee grinder, whatever it is, especially when it's a specific brand name, this is a good way to do it. If you want to see where your favorite Starbucks coffee is on sale whatever retailers near you.
Speaker 2: Just just try it flip flipp all right.
Speaker 1: The final one, and this one I knew about before my friend Jennifer Jolly posted about it, but I just love it. I almost wanted to keep this one a secret because I love it so much. But price matching. Now, price matching is not a new concept. My dad was doing this back in the day with Crazy at Ease. You would get a newspaper, you get the Sunday New York Times or whatever the newspaper was. They had all the prices listed for all electronics in the back pages of this newspaper and it was in tiny, tiny print. You would bring it to Crazy Eddies and you say, hey, I just found this Oinkyo receiver for ten dollars less than what you're selling it for, and they're like, well, yeah, you'd have to drive into New York City and buy it at that retailer, but you know, I'm right here.
Speaker 2: Can you just price match?
Speaker 1: And they'd talk to the manager and they say, all right, fine, we'll give you that receiver for eleven dollars off just to beat their price, and you'd come home a happy customer. You felt like you saved a lot of money and it was great. You could do the same thing at Target with their app. So if you're inside Target, download the Target app, which I highly recommend in general anyway, and when you're buying something of any value in their store, so we're talking something that's like twenty five dollars and up, give it a scan and just scan the barcode on that item. It will with the Target app and it will show you how much Target is selling that item for on its website, and you will be really really surprised that a lot of times the Target website is cheaper than what the store is offering. And the reason for this is that when you're in the store, most people are not comparing prices to online. But if you do, if you're online, you know Google is indexing all these prices. So if you're searching for something online, the Target website has to be just as competitive and in line with its competitors like Amazon and best Buy and Walmart and so a lot of times the prices will be many much more dynamic online. But the reality is, if you're in Target, they will match their price that they're selling it online. They'll match a competitors price as well. But the easiest one is just to scan for their own price. So Jennifer Jolly posted this hack on her Instagram and it was great. She's a Tech Life columnist and she does stuff for the Today Show. But I loved it, and I use this. The other day I bought a bike. I don't think my kid listens to this podcast, so I can just say I bought a bike at Target. I'm not kidding. The bike was three hundred and fifty dollars on the shelf, and it was one hundred and sixty five dollars on their website.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you.
Speaker 1: How I figured out that the bike was even on sale at Target. I'll tell you this right now. I use the first hack. I scanned the bike with the Google Lens app. I was in another store and I was like, all right, we're gonna buy my kid a bike. Let me just just for fun, let me just scan this bike to see what the price is online.
Speaker 2: And I saw a similar bike at Target for one.
Speaker 1: Hundred and sixty five and like, wait a second, let's just go to Target and see. And my wife was like, you sure this could be off, Like we're right here. I said, let's just try it. And we tried it, and sure enough, the bike was in stock. It was there. I could not believe that this saved us so much money. So again, and I've done this a couple of times with different things at Target. It works like a charm.
Speaker 2: So definitely do that. And if you want to see that story, just go to my website. Rich on tech dot tv.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the next question of the podcast. Samsung G four Flip is the head line of the or this subject line of the email. Hey Rich, I just bought the new Flip phone from Samsung, and I love it because it's compact and it takes great pictures. One of my friends asked me, how long do they guarantee the flip to keep working and not break. I didn't even bother to ask of the time, because it didn't.
Speaker 2: Occur to me.
Speaker 1: I guess I should have. Do you have the answer? Is there someone at Samsung you can ask? Thanks so much, Paula, Well, PAULA, great question. I don't have to ask someone at Samsung because they put the information online. Excuse me, how many times can the By the way, with the new radio show, there is a cough button and so I was learning the ins and outs of radio, so I can do this and there's a little button that I can press and it will basically clip out my microphone while I can cough. It's like there's actually a cough button, and I need it because, as you know if you follow me on social media, I recently had COVID and I was quite fine during the span of that illness, but I did get a fever I got I was really sick like the first day, but after that I was pretty much okay. I mean, I was sick, but it was, you know, it was manageable. I watched a bunch of movies and TV shows and just kind of sat on the couch and ate a lot of food because it's an excuse to do that and drank a lot of you know, hydrating liquids. And when I was done with it, I had this lingering cough which is still not gone away, which is just wild.
Speaker 2: And I was reading about it.
Speaker 1: And basically, your lungs are sort of your your immune system and your lungs are sort of inflamed from this illness, and so it takes a while for them to kind of come back to zero and kind of the place that they, you know, are at a daily basis, and so it does. I've been coughing like it's just wild anyway, So I apologize for that cough. But go to the website Samsung dot com says how many times can the Galaxy Z fold for and Galaxy Z flip four be folded and unfolded? The answer is the lifespan depends on how users utilize their devices. However, it's been proven they can withstand over two hundred thousand folds before failing. There you go, This sequels one hundred folds daily for five years. Now, that use case scenario will of course depend on how you open and close your phone. I found the phone that you purchased, the G four flip Galaxy Flip four to be.
Speaker 2: An excellent phone.
Speaker 1: In fact, this was one of my favorite phones of twenty twenty two. If you go to my website rich on tech dot TV, look up my riches recommended gadgets list, which I keep on Amazon. It is on there because I love this phone. Now.
Speaker 2: I think the camera is excellent.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure it's up to my creator level standards, which the iPhone fourteen Pro is pretty much the only video camera this year that I think could live up to doing what I need to do for Instagram and TV. But the Galaxy, both the Fold four and the Flip four I was very very impressed with and I loved both of those devices, and I am almost ready to dive in. The Fold four was a bit bigger for me, and I thought it was really cool as a I mean, I really enjoyed it. I just think it needs to be thinner when it's folded. The Flip four, I thought was absolutely perfect. It just for me personally, I needed a better video camera and I just wasn't ready to give up some of that some of that for this phone. But I think that for the average user, I think it is just a great little device, and if you want to dive into the whole foldable arena.
Speaker 2: That is a great way to do it. All right, we're getting through.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, let's let's get to this next story that I think kind of blends in with that or kind of I don't know what the word is transitions from what I just was talking about. So, which smartphone is the best camera this year? MKBHD? You know I'm better as Marquez Brownlee or sorry, Marquez Brownlee, you know I'm better as MKBHD. On YouTube, he's one of the top tech YouTubers in the world. Every year he does this blind camera test with all the top smartphones, and this year he put fourteen to them to the test. In years past, it wasn't as scientific. This year he made it much more scientific, and it was a It was a doozy. I actually tried voting in this blind camera test and it took so long that I actually thought there was a problem. I was like, wait, what is going on here? And I guess I should have read the directions more. But basically, I'm not going to go through how they tested. But they collected over twenty one million votes and they kept making you vote until you had a basically a scientifically proven favorite, and then they stopped your voting, and so it was it was really interesting, but they made people vote in best overall, best HDR, and best portrait. So let's just get to the bottom line. The best phone this year for a camera overall is the Google Pixel six A. Notice I didn't say the top of the line Google seven or seven pro, the six A. This is their budget smartphone, and it's the smartphone that I said in my review was absolutely fantastic, and I said it was the best overall smartphone, budget smartphone for people this year. Combination of price and camera, this thing was just phenomenal. And it's cheap. I mean when I reviewed it, it was four ninety nine. I said, don't buy it if it's less than three ninety nine. Let me just get up my Pixel six A KTLA. I'm just searching to see. My headline was Google's cheapest pixel phone gives a lot for less, and I said at the end it was four hundred. It was on sale for okay, let's see, it's four hundred and fifty dollars. That's the main price. Okay, I said, don't buy unless it drops to three ninety nine, it ended up dropping to three point fifty. Now it's as cheap as two ninety nine. So this is this is really a fantastic deal. The second phone that the second place was Google Pixel seven Pro, and I think the reality is you're like, rich, what about the iPhone? What about the iPhone? What about the iPhone? So the let's see if we go down the list a little bit, Samsung S twenty two Ultra got fifth place, and the iPhone fourteen Pro got seventh place. The A sus zen Phone nine got third place, So again Pixel six A, Pixel seven Pro, a sus zen Phone nine, then Galaxy S twenty two Ultra fifth place, iPhone fourteen Pro seventh place. So you're like, rich, wow, what's the deal here? I will tell you, as someone who has used the iPhone fourteen Pro for a majority of this year, it takes I think, I feel like overall when they're saying overall for the Pixel six A, this did not take into account video, and so I would say overall, the overall best camera system is the iPhone fourteen Pro. For sure. I'm I will tell you that I've used it all year. It is really something that can't be matched. Things get close, but they don't match the ease, the speed, and the consistency of the iPhone fourteen Pro. As an overall, I'm talking a combination of still pictures and video pictures. Now, if you're just talking up pictures or video, sorry, if you're just talking pictures, Yes, the Google Pixel six A and the seven Pro. I think the reason why these get so high in such high marks is because the pixel photos just have a certain magical quality to them. Like Google does a lot of post processing. They're basically editing all your photos for you, and they just know how to make them pop and look really really good. And I'm talking the shadows, the brightness, the contrast, the details. It is all there and it's all really really good. Now, the iPhone does a really nice job. The Samsung does a really nice job, but there are some hits and misses along the way. And I think when you talk overall the Pixel seven and the six A, they're just using a little bit more AI to kind of like smooth things out and edit things. And so I think if that was lacking in these phones, they would not rate as high. But because they process these pictures in such a magical AI way. That's what makes them trend so high when it comes to these ratings, and you know, I have no complaints. I think that you will be happy with the Pixel six A, the Pixel seven, the Pixel seven Pro if you're more of a power user and you want that zoom. The Samsung S twenty two Ultra also I love that phone this year. And the iPhone fourteen Pro Max or sorry, just Pro I think is also really good. The iPhone fourteen I think is just fine. I think that it has an okay camera system. If you're going to go iPhone, I'd go with the Pro because it really is. It's a little bit more expensive, but you're getting really the best that Apple has to offer. So there you have it. Those are the best phones of the year. But I think I think it really comes down to budget and what is most important to you. All Right, I want to make sure that I talk about all the stories that I mentioned smartphone last past Sunday ticket okay.
Speaker 2: Good, good, good good, Okay.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Nike Training Club coming to Netflix. So this is Netflix is sort of an entree to on demand fitness training. December thirtieth, they're gonna be launching videos from Nike Training Club on Netflix just in time for your news resolution. I think this is great. They're gonna have thirty hours of exercise sessions released in two batches. It's all from Nike Training Club. So if you're familiar with Nike Training Club and their apps, which I used to use religiously when they were kind of the only game in town. Now that things like Peloton and Apple Fitness Plus have come along, I have not used Nike Training in a long time, but it used to be my absolute favorite on I'm talking back to the iPod Touch. iPod Touch was my favorite to run because it had the Nike app and I could run with that on this wristband on my shoulder, and I thought it was so cool. And then the iPhone came along with that same kind of program. I ended up switching to that, and then the Nike Band came along. I use that at some point. And a little trivia for you, the same guy that used to run all the Nike stuff now runs Apple Fitness Plus. So there's a lot of Nike in Apple Fitness Plus. But now they're a little bit more competitors because now Nike has gone to Netflix. So look, if you subscribe to Netflix. You're you know you see this on your home screen.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: It may motivate people to do workouts that may not have done workouts previously, or may not otherwise do workouts, or may not otherwise subscribe to one of the other things. And so I think it's a great thing. Do I think it's the end all for workouts? No, They've got Kickstart Fitness with the Basics, two Week to a Stronger Core, Fall in Love with Yoga, Hit Strength, Feel Good Fitness. There's gonna be a bunch of episodes. They all launch December thirtieth, or the first batch. I should if you want to search for it, search Nike on Netflix to see it. They say it'll work for all fitness levels and interests, and it's great. It's included in your subscription. I think that's awesome. I think that there's better options out there. But I love the fact that this is going to push a lot of people to sit there and you know, they're tuning in for Bridgerton or whatever else is on that top ten list of trash that Netflix puts out there. Just kidding, Oh, I'm just kidding. It's a joke. My joke is that people watch anything that Netflix puts on their homepage and go ahead and challenge me on that, but I know you've done it. You see these things, these thumbnails, They are so slick. They know exactly who you are and what you like, and they engineer those thumbnails to make it look like the program.
Speaker 2: Is just for you.
Speaker 1: And so people watch a lot of stuff on Netflix that they wouldn't typically watch, and they end up watching it because of a lot of reasons. But the reality is, if they can apply that same logic to Nike Fitness and they'll get people to work out because of it, I'm.
Speaker 2: All for it.
Speaker 1: So I think that's a way I will tell you in my experience. I am personally I love I love, love love Peloton. I use the cycling classes on Peloton on a regular basis, and I use the treadmill running classes on Peloton on a regular basis. When it comes to Apple Fitness Plus, I think that the classes there are excellent, especially when it comes to strength training. I think those are amazing. I think that Apple Fitness Plus is a little bit more polished when it comes to the classes versus Peloton, But I think the Peloton trainers and the way they do their classes feel a bit more off the cuff compared to kind of the slick programming that you get on Apple Fitness Plus.
Speaker 2: But I also like the search function.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I think, I mean I subscribe to both, so I use both on a regular basis. I think the good for different things. But at the end of the day, if you are moving throughout the week, for you know, thirty minutes a day, whatever they want you to do, thirty minutes a couple times a week, whatever they recommend, absolutely do it. You will always feel.
Speaker 2: Better doing that. I'm a big believer in that.
Speaker 1: I am not mister fitness, mister workout, but I do like to move because so much of our lives in this modern world are sitting and very you know, we go, we walk from our house to our car, we get in our car, we drive to work, we get to work, we sit in a chair at work, we get from work, we go to home. It's a lot of like, you know, non movement. And unless your job is very physical, you know, the modern employee is not moving too much. And so I will force myself after work to go to the gym, get on that treadmill, even if I'm not feeling it just to do those thirty minutes just to move. And I have never come out of that gym, or I've never come out of my room where I've got a workout bike feeling like ugh, I wish I didn't do that. I've never felt that way. So when in doubt, try it. It makes you feel better, you know. Even today, I know I've got a long day ahead, and I just know that I will feel better if I somehow get my movement in anyway.
Speaker 2: Did they put me on a soapbox here? I can't. I can't tell, So that's all right.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Ty says, Hey, Rich, I'm looking to buy a MacBook Air. Do you think it's worth it to buy the newer M two chip version or just get the old M one. I mainly need to do all the work on Google apps and drive, so I don't need a lot of storage or fancy graphics. Is it worth the extra three hundred and fifty dollars? I would say it's probably not. Now Apple does this thing where their stuff is really good these days, like especially their own chips. The M one chip came out and just blew away the competition. It's a phenomenal chip. It works really well. The MacBook Air got a whole new life and it's just great. Then they came out with the M two chip later on, but they kept the M one chip to make an entry level price point on the MacBook Air that's very appealing. And so when shoppers go into the Apple Store, it's a little bit complicated because they're sitting there going, well, I don't know, do I need the M two? Do I need to spend all this extra money on this newer computer and this newer chip. My advice for most people that are buying a MacBook Air probably don't need the newer M two chip. If you are just doing basic tasks. I'm talking what Tie is saying here, Google apps, Google drive, web browsing, a little bit of video editing, a little bit of video, you know, photo editing, browsing, just basic basic stuff. Working with spreadsheets. Now, if you are doing anything where your job relies on content creation or any app that is you know, requires a lot of horsepower, then absolutely go with the M two. The three hundred and fifty dollars will be well spent. I think when it comes to any of these computers, the most you can get. To make these computers work their best for a long period of time is to get the biggest hard drive you can afford and the most memory that you can afford. Don't discount how important memory is. And I know it's expensive, and it's you know, Apple plays these high low games where you know you got this great entry level price, but you're not getting a lot of specs when it comes to your hard drive or your memory, and you've got an upgrade and it feels really expensive.
Speaker 2: But I'm telling you that money is well spent.
Speaker 1: So ty, I don't know exactly what you're doing on this thing, but it sounds like you don't need the fancy graphics or a lot of storage, So go with the basic M one. These computers can last a very long time. My computer that I have now is from I believe, let's see, it's a MacBook sixteen inch. It is from twenty nineteen, and I'm holding out.
Speaker 2: I'm holding out hope.
Speaker 1: In early twenty twenty three they will come out with the M two MacBook Pro in a sixteen ninch model. That is the computer that I want. I did not spring for the fourteen inch M to last year or this year I should say. And so I'm holding out hope that my computer will come along and then I will gift this current computer, which is still just perfect, to my child. And I've gifted my old MacBooks to my children, to my family members. Every one of my family basically has an old MacBook that I've given them that still worked just fine when I gave it to them, even after I'd used it for about two to four years. So these things can last a long time if you take care of them. So take care of them, all right, Let's end on a fun, tasty story. Krispy Kreme CEO says robots are going to start working at Krispy Kreme's in the next eighteen months. They told this to Yahoo Finance. Krispy Kreme, based in North Carolina, said that they are going to use these robots to maximize the fresh hub and spoke model opportunity in the US. And I don't know if you've noticed, but krispy Kreme does this thing where they have Krispy Kreme's in convenience stores, grocery stores, quick serve restaurants all over the place. Like they don't just have locations. You can get these things everywhere. And the more robots that they can employ to get these donuts made, the more access points they can.
Speaker 2: Be fresh at.
Speaker 1: And so apparently the automated lines would produce eighteen percent of Krispy Kreme donuts within the next eighteen months. They are going to spend six million dollars on robots, and they expect to recoup two million dollars in savings annually. So they're not going to pay for themselves right off the bat, but it will help. Now, this was news to me in this Yahoo Finance article. I did not know that they also own Insomnia Cookies. I did not know that, So that's another thing. But they say they stressed, like every good company that starts using robots, they stressed that Krispy Kreme employees are still at the core of the business and the intention here is to cut out tedious tasks. I hear that over and over, and I hear from you over and over. Why am I trying to kill every job in the US with all of these robot stories? And I'm just telling you right now, I am not the person that kills the robot or the human employees' jobs with these robot stories. I'm just telling you so you understand where the world is going, and I will tell you right now. When it comes to food, we're seeing a huge growth in robot automation in the most basic job, so just be aware of that. It is something you need to be aware of. Oh my gosh, that is going to do it for this episode of the show. I can't believe it. Next time you hear from me, I will be on the radio. I will be talking about CES twenty twenty three, which is happening in Las Vegas the first week of January.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait.
Speaker 1: I will keep you posted about the RSS feed of this podcast. No need to unsubscribe. Hopefully I'll just be able to update the source and you'll get the fear.
Speaker 2: For the new show.
Speaker 1: As always, you can still submit questions for me to answer. I will do a combination of calls and emails on the new show. So if you want to submit a question to me, just go to my Facebook page, Facebook dot com, slash rich on Tech hit the big blue send email button, or just go to rich on Tech dot tv hit the email icon. It is now more important than ever to follow me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. But if you're listening to this show. You probably already follow me there, but tell your friends because that's where I will post all of my updates on all the new stuff that's happening. No matter where you live in the US, download the free KTLA Plus app on Apple, TV, Fire TV, and Roku. There you can scroll to the tech section and watch all of my TV segments on demand. Oh my gosh, this is such a bittersweet show. I can't believe it. By the way, doing three hours of radio versus one hour of podcast is going to be quite the challenge for me. It's a lot, but I can't wait. I can't wait to be on in more places and have more people listening and share this show with me. People. My name is rich Dedimiro. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it with me. Have a fantastic holiday season, Happy New Year, Stay safe out there, enjoy the time with your friends and family. I will talk to you real soon.