Speaker 1: Hella, my Loves. Welcome to the bonus episode of the Get Them a La Podcast.
Speaker 2: T oh Hey.
Speaker 1: So I was thinking of questions that I had for you guys for the bonus and today's. I wanted to know, basically, how do you, as an adult or a parent react in an emergency type situation, whether it's evacuation, your kid got hurt. I wanted to know it all. And I actually got some really good responses, but also some really funny ones. And you'd be shocked at how many people just say, my parental intuition kicks in and I'm like okay. So I had a lot of those, but then other people who were like, I don't I freak. I completely freaking.
Speaker 2: Depends on the situation it happens to you, mom babies, I'm good, like I can be calm and go okay A to b to see, let's get us there right. If it happens to me, it's flustered, fetal position and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 1: Cause some people do short circuit. Oh that's me in situations where you have to make.
Speaker 2: A split decision. Yes.
Speaker 1: So this actually took me back to I think Ocean was probably a year and some months and we were at the apartment still and there was so little room between like the dresser and the bed, and I was worried that she was going to fall off the bed and she because she was very close to the edge. And keep in mind, I was right there so and she's standing, so I tell her, Ocean, you have to, you know, move farther onto the bed. Mom was literally sitting on the bed as well, and she looks at me, and I think she's going to start walking from close to where she is at the edge of the bed to the middle of the bed and instead, and I'm kind of like holding her hands slightly to help her, and she looks at me and gives me like this devious little grin and jumps to sit back. But she was close to the edge, so when she went to jump and fall on her bum you go backwards a little, she was basically, you know, falling to the ground and I tried my best to catch her, but she hit the floor. And keep in mind, this is an apartment with like it's basically concrete with like linoleum. There's no cushion or anything like that. It's basically a tile floor that's meant to look like wood. They call it these days, to make it sound more bougie, they call it pet friendly flooring. So she falls and hits that floor right here, and she screams. And I'm panicking because this is the first fall off of the bed, and you hear like kids are gonna fall off the bed. Please make sure to guard your stairs because that is a terrifying trap. And I thought I was doing so well to get her to a year and some change without having anything horrendous happen. So I'm freaking out and trying to console her as she screams, and all of the sudden, she stops crying and I have her like this against me, and I lean her back, and you guys, she's dead weight. Her eyes are rolling into the back of her head. I'm screaming at my mom. Call nine one one, Call nine one one, my mother. What was maybe thirty seconds felt like an eternity. My mom had a phone in her hand and she didn't know what to do with it. She completely froze, and I, for the first I cannot believe that I handled this situation like I did. And that's why I kind of relate to people who were saying, you know you're your MoMA. Intuition kind of kicks in because I took the phone from my mom. For some reason, I remembered the past code dialed nine one one. I was completely calm, told them the exact address, and as she's trying to the dispatcher is trying to like cut me off, is what I felt. I said, you have to listen to me. There are multiple entries to my building you must enter at this point. You must use this code to get in, like I gave. I've never given that precisive direction to someone who was like to my postmates, guy, like you blacked.
Speaker 2: Out and just everything that needed to be known you knew, and you just said yes.
Speaker 1: And she was saying, you know they're coming by siren, you will hear them. And I was like, I'm at this point, I'm like, I don't hear anything. I don't hear anything, and I'm looking at Ocean and she's kind of coming to and I was asking Ocean questions at that point, how old are you? What's your name? And I just you know, she was very young, so she didn't have her vocabulary wasn't the same as what I would ask now, I did end up having them take us by ambulance to make sure that nothing was happening that I couldn't actually see. And in that ride, she was singing rocket Man and the guy was like, I think she's totally fine, but I understand why you want to take her. Uh, And that's how I responded in that moment. But I couldn't. I truly couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: No, but you've done that a lot of times. I even feel like when we were in you know, high school, and things would happen. Dad was very good, but I remember like things happening even in Saint George or Lake Powell. Yeah, and I was younger, but like when Dad would say something, I do remember you being the help, his help and not freezing. And I don't know, I don't feel like a freezer. I don't know if I've been in a lot of things, but I am mollum. Yeah, so I might be.
Speaker 1: Oh, she was staring at you.
Speaker 2: You've done it. You've done it many times before. Yeah. I feel like I think I black out. You do blackout. It's just you. You go with just your intuition and everything else, and you just black out and do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, totally. This person said, I have to remind myself I am setting an example for them, for her kids. Sometimes that's hard though, in the moment, when you're in an emergency situation and it's fight or flight, I personally the last thing on my mind is I need to set an example. But again, it depends on what you're going through. I used to flip my shit as a knee jerk reaction. Now I am just heavily medicated. I think a lot of moms will relate to that, or just adults without children, just life gets a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't know, lie, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well you kind of just not by choice. Uh, you have no other choice as a parent. I think it's instinct. Our children feel what we feel. That's the other thing. It's kind of like when your kid falls down and they look at you to see how you're going to go to react.
Speaker 2: And I will say, your reactions are always over the top. Wait really, oh my gosha, Like if something happens to ocean and right when you do that, your reaction makes her react before so.
Speaker 1: Sa even yeah, because sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I really will, because there's a lot of times where like something will happen and you'll overreact. But it's hard because you're the parent as well, so it's like you want a comfort, but you also don't want to do it. So it's like, ah, you blackout in that month, it just you overreact.
Speaker 1: Well, I also need my mind goes a million miles ahead of like how bad it could have been, So I need her to understand in that moment we cannot do that again, because even just a slight fall, I immediately go to an intrusive thought of oh my gosh, she could have snapped her neck this way, but she realized died but she didn't, but she could have.
Speaker 2: Because now I have to tell her every time I watch her it's Freeman's game.
Speaker 1: Oh lovely, she fell.
Speaker 2: Many a time in her Yes, she's great. She plays in her playroom, but like she'll be on her tramp doing something and I'll be like, no, she's going to fall, and boy does she fall. And every time I'm like, I'm just not looking, she'll look immediately at me, and after I don't stare geriff reel, she'll slowly get up and move things to act like she didn't fall.
Speaker 1: All I think about is if we reinjure those teeth, they're going to turn flat, they're falling out.
Speaker 2: Anyway, she's got a new set coming.
Speaker 1: In damage to the real root. Weirdly, I lose all emotion and just go into work mode. Very weird. And when I look back, heartless, question mark, I don't think that that's no.
Speaker 2: No, I'm going to say that you being heartless. I guess if that's what we're gonna call it in those moments, that's you putting on your mask first. Yeah, you being heartless is getting a lot of people through it because some people don't need to hear. Some people just need to be told, like you gotta do it.
Speaker 1: My gay like you, they freeze.
Speaker 2: It's nice. You don't need to do anything. You just need to get everybody a to b And if you gotta be heartless to do it, it's because those people need that reaction.
Speaker 1: I have so much running through my mind right now.
Speaker 2: No, I really do like this because I'm thinking about a lot of the things, and the more I think about it, the more I don't freeze. But like, there's a lot of the times where I'm like, I don't know what to do, so I just start doing a lot of nothing.
Speaker 1: But something makes sense that sounds like not a lot of help.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: Oh great, so.
Speaker 2: It's just I freeze, but I don't freeze, Okay, you get it, Like I'm just sporadic.
Speaker 1: You know, I p we never have to find out you're like this person said, you don't you fake it for the kids and panic internally. Mom of three, including a four month old, that's a lot when you have an infant that can't even that can barely they just learned to like hold their own head up. Could you imagine being in a situation where it is your job to rally everyone in your household in the emergency situation on top.
Speaker 2: Of keeping composure.
Speaker 1: I just it can't be done. Simply cannot be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm telling you a mom's I mean, moms is that's a hard job. It's the hardest job in the world to be a mom.
Speaker 1: It's also very exhausting.
Speaker 2: I can tell I'm catching it. I get the secondhand exhaustment.
Speaker 1: Sometimes when I look at myself, I go, you do look like one of those moms who's just like.
Speaker 2: Fuck it, and isn't it a great place to be?
Speaker 1: You know, sometimes I'd like to remind myself that I like I wore a heel the other night, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like a baby tear. I'm like, what are they gonna start practicing?
Speaker 1: My knees are aching, literally mortifying. I was like walking up the stairs like praying that the door guy didn't look at me like this stupid homely bitch you wear. No, that's the whole point. I've got to get out of the sweatshirts and out of like I actually felt really cute and OHI when I like pulled myself together enough with like an off the shoulder sweater, like a pair of jeans that are actually in style now I think they had a rip in them, which I think is not in style anymore. But I can't keep up.
Speaker 2: Fully, No, there's just I wear what I have.
Speaker 1: Think of being a child again, How if things were handled calmly, I wouldn't have anxiety today. Oh my god, I'm stressing now. Am I causing my children anxiety? I hope not. I try to be calm. We spoke about this on the last episode of or No a few episodes back. How I've learned the parenting tools that Ocean needs.
Speaker 2: That really dug into me.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of like all of the back things that happened with mom and dad that like we're stressful events that did they cause me stresses?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to say something that's probably going to be a super unpopular opinion and I may get dragged for it, but I'm okay with it. Every single person on the planet so it is going to require a different set of skills and parents do the best they can.
Speaker 2: It's just nice to maybe understand where you're at. I can't. Here's it. Yeah, I'm not I'm not saying like, oh I am okay to feel this way because my mom and dad. Right, I'm saying it's fun to see that maybe things that happened have made me this way, and now I can start to understand that these situations betray you the anxiety.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. Yeah, but you know what I do? You like putting? Anytime someone writes in this says put the shoe on the other foot, what did you need? It's like when we spoke to Jenna and I said, Ocean requires this set of parenting skills. She needs to be spoken too calmly. Jenna immediately said, is that how you need to be spoken? To and I was like, oh my god, maybe that is true, because what happens is when someone tries to get hyphi with me or someone, I see their anxiety level rise.
Speaker 2: You match energy, I do match energy.
Speaker 1: I hate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're an energy. Yeah so if well, that's how I've started to both of you. You and love oh no, when we are very rare. But when you, guys, when stuff is starting to pile up and you start attacking me or I attack you, like, I go, oh god, yeah, oh god.
Speaker 1: I'm so good at feeling overwhelmed and being like and it's.
Speaker 2: All your God. And that's the other thing is like, why you shit on the counter.
Speaker 1: He kind of wiped it off.
Speaker 2: That was last night.
Speaker 1: The second because it didn't happen. This person's I call my mom relatable. I don't need to call it. Your calling of the mom is probably dialing. I go mom, mom, No for real. United separated my then three and a half year old from me on a flight from o'hairtool Orlando. How yeah, because that's not a lap child anymore. I feel like that's not okay, and I think I would have lost it and been removed from this is craped.
Speaker 2: So they had to sit away from each other on the plane. My thing is, if I was on that plane, I would have been like next to her, I would have said, your child is not near you. I will I won't know where your child is. And I would assume whoever the child's seat was in or the guy was in the middle, like you should have been like, yeah, let's just swap like to me.
Speaker 1: That sometimes I people on volumes.
Speaker 2: About the people on the plane.
Speaker 1: No, you guys. I was flying back from Salt Lake to LA. My dad had just died. My mom and I wanted to sit together aka drink together, and this guy wouldn't fucking move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the other.
Speaker 1: No was in a middle seat, and so this nice woman and her husband they ended up separating, and so Mom and I could sit together.
Speaker 2: And I was like, this guy, you fucking I won't forget. I was flying from Miami to South Carolina. Was uh, I was coming back to LA. Yeah, but from Miami to South Carolina there were there was two people in first class that wanted to sit by each other. No one would move, and so they went to two people in just like Delta comfort and gave them there too, so they could sit next to each other. Cute, right, I was like, that is cute.
Speaker 1: I have to say I've done that before. One of the only times that but I did. We gave up first class because you.
Speaker 2: Want to say yeah, but like that's the thing I I When somebody needs my seat and I'm like I can give it, I feel so great. I'll be walking on the plane like people are looking at me like I'm a nice guy.
Speaker 1: You an I don't. Unfortunately, when it comes to my kids, I definitely can't seem to stay calm, even when I'm an ex emergency officer.
Speaker 2: I know why. Why Because kids don't fucking listen.
Speaker 1: Oh that is. I want to do a bonus where there's like different parenting techniques. I want to have someone come on to talk about like each set of skills that are you know, put into a box that maybe your child requires.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like uh, five sets of skills, and like you try each one with your child to see what if they.
Speaker 1: Respond to that. Yes, science says your voice a mama's voice can be child's calm. I'm thirty three and it's still true for me.
Speaker 2: How crazy that I know? I do too, and I never pictured it, even like just the phone call of like to mom when I was going through it, like just her voice would reset me. But I never understood.
Speaker 1: That that's your mama, not a mom, just an ADHD adult. I personally get very angry and yell at everyone so relatable same you and me both, and that's a set of I want to say. I won't call them skills because sometimes I feel.
Speaker 2: Like it is well. I want to know if they're medicated for their ADHD, because I am not medicated for my ADHD. I have been. I like not being on its personal decisions, but I like not being on like adderall or vibeance. I don't like the way it makes me feel. So I really am just freelancing ADHD out here, and I get the same way. I don't know why. There's just spurts of like, oh you fucking need to yell at someone or something, and then like time goes by and then I forget that. Wow, it's fun in this brand, it's a circus.
Speaker 1: I like people who yell it's great like this Larry David.
Speaker 2: Kind of because I that's who I aspire to be.
Speaker 1: Sadly, I rely on my husband. He was a firefighter slash EMT and I pray he's around if an emergency happens.
Speaker 2: Number one, thank you to your husband for what he does. Yes, what he does, And I feel like that really would bring so much calmness.
Speaker 1: Also, I bet he's way hot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like you look at that no matter what's going on, you look at a man who is just face to face with a fire and you're like, it can't all right, it can't be that.
Speaker 1: First of all, thank you for what you do. She's looking at him. And when you get back, I really would love to fuck you.
Speaker 2: Climb you like a tree. Climb you like the tree you put out.
Speaker 1: Take a deep breath and hold back my reaction because I know the second I show fear it's over, you're on the whole household in arms badly. When my grandpa fell, I broke his wrist, my husband had to yell yell at me more than once to call nine one one. That's Lisa, where I was like, call nine one one, call nine one one, just sitting there. I'm as a wife of a first responder, whenever my husband is in a fire or call, I pray first and focus on our son. A men to that, and thank you for what your husband does. Yes, I go extremely calm. My son got a toy hook in his eye, and inside I was panicking, but I had to be calm, and I just picked him up and looked at my friend and said, I'll call.
Speaker 2: Like an actual like fish hook or like just like a little play plast.
Speaker 1: Looked at my friend and said I'll call you, and drove straight to the hospital. I've had situations where I've had to put Ocean in the car due to like a sickness, and it's the most terrifying thing to put a hurt or sick child into the back of the car where you have no eyes on them except for maybe like a little mirror, and then you think about them strapped in there and if you need to get them out quickly, it's just a montage of shit.
Speaker 2: That, like you just said, not being able to see him, and like he's got a hook in his eye and you don't want him to touch his own eye, so you're that's shout out to the mama.
Speaker 1: I work at a hospital, so I see this stuff, but when it's my kid, Nope, I lose it. I think that that's totally relatable. Usually cry and then take them for a treat. And play their favorite songs.
Speaker 2: Taking that in our arsenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they get like really upset about something, would you like a cooking and some Taylor Swift shake it off. That's a way to get them right out of their own feelings. My girls are nineteen and seventeen, and I still act a fool. Yeah, probably because at that age they're now like stealing the car and shit.
Speaker 2: Mom still acts a fool.
Speaker 1: Mom does act a fool. We're gonna end it with this mama who says two hundred milligrams of zoloft, because I find that to be very very funny in any situation, depending on what it is. I think that it is something in you that you're either born with or you work really hard because there is nothing you can do in an emergency situation.
Speaker 2: You're either born with it or you've dealt with so much emergency you're now equipped for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even though your brain is like I need to move my hand to dial this, but I can't remember the number to nine one one, I get it. Oh yeah, So thank you guys for writing into the podcast page. The YouTube video is up as well. Today. You can follow us at Give Them La La Pod. I love you guys, and I will catch you for a regular old episode on Wednesday. Bye bye,