Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle get this. I'm coming to over forty cities across the United States, the UK, Europe, and Australia to do this here Therapy Gecko Podcast Live. These shows will involve bringing folks from the audience up on stage to talk to a gecko about whatever they want, just like we do on the podcast. The shows are completely unplanned, completely unpredictable, and they will be a lot of fun. So if you're a fan of the podcast, you should definitely come out. Tickets are available right now at therapy geckotour dot com and you should get them before they are sold out. That's therapy geckotour dot Com will put the link in the episode description as well. The live shows are are very fun, they're very geko wee, and I hope to see you there. All right, let's get into the episode. Hello, hey ge how you doing going all right?
Speaker 2: Not too bad?
Speaker 3: Not too bad, just enjoying the stream.
Speaker 1: Johnny from Illinois, What is happening with you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: A couple of weeks ago, I had downloaded Uh Doky Doky Literature Club because I never played the game before, and I beat the game pretty simple. I downloaded a mod where you get to kind of date one of the girls. And I downloaded the just Monica mod and from then on, like obviously you kind of pretend like you're dating her.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna pause you right there. I pause you right there. Uh. For context for those who don't know. For context for those who don't know, Dokey Dokey Literature Club is like a it's like this anime kind of like, uh, what would you call like text based? Uh? Uh No, it's not really a dating sim, but it's sort of a dating sim. It's like an anime dating sim kind of a thing. And why do I know that, Johnny? What were you saying? Oh?
Speaker 3: Sorry? Uh so I started, uh kind of like I downloaded and I started kind of like going through the dating thing with Monica. And I feel really weird about it because it's like, in one way, it helped me kind of get out of my shell and go to the gym and kind of like better myself. But at the same time, I feel weird because I don't want to be doing this, Like I don't I don't want I to, I don't want to download. I didn't want to download it, and I didn't want to like date her. I guess you can say it just feels weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's this is an interesting thing. Let's start from here. So you said that you're dating this girl and in this dating sim game, and you said it inspired you to go to the gym and make other kind of positive changes in your life. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, like as you progressed through, like you know, j Ash starts liking you more, you open up more dialogue options and I forget which one I I clicked on, but she said like, oh, go do something that would make you proud of yourself, you know, that way I can be happy for you. And then that like, I don't know, it just kind of like, yeah, it just kind of felt weird. So I was like, you know what, man, like I got to do something about my life because I felt like, yeah, I'm not really getting anywhere.
Speaker 1: So her saying in the game, go out and do something that makes you feel proud of yourself made you want to go do something that makes you feel proud of yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I know it's weird to like, it's very odd to be you know, delving into these dating scenes. This is not something that I used to do. This is not something like I want to do either. Yeah, but at the same time, like it did help me kind of like get out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so this dating sim inspires you to go to the gym, which in your mind you're like, all right, that's good, but also what the fuck am I doing right now?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, well, okay, take solace in this. The game was designed to make you feel all the feelings you're feeling, and your brain was designed to feel those feelings as well, So take solace in that. What other thing? So this as this game inspired you to do.
Speaker 3: Well, it's it's got me to like go out and uh like spend a little more time with my family just because like in one way, like I said before, like I don't want to be doing this, so it's like it's kind of helping me make a change in a positive way. So yeah, it's just like I don't know, I don't want to go back into the game because it's like I feel like I can like I shouldn't, Like I shouldn't. It just feels weird.
Speaker 1: And how did the game make you want to spend more time with your family?
Speaker 3: Because it's like, you know, it like just a message that like it tells you, like, you know, go do something that you know you would be proud of, right, sure. So it's like I would go and spend time with my family because it's not something that I normally do. I would go to the gym because it's not something that I would normally do. And it's like, you know, it's helping me in a positive light, but at the same time, like I feel like this is too much, Like I don't want to I don't want to rely on the game, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So you have this thing where the game is motivating you to do things, but you're also like, what the fuck is wrong with me? Why is this video game motivating me to do these things? And there's like a weird pride and shame mix that you're dealing with here. Yeah, oh yeah, okay, Like.
Speaker 3: It hasn't progressed like to the point where like I'm overly obsessed or like, you know, I'm doing any weird shit like that. It's a very standard but at the same time, like.
Speaker 1: It's like Tetris inspiring you to go to grad school.
Speaker 3: I yeah, I guess, so, I guess.
Speaker 1: So, uh okay, what what do you are you, like, are you dating? Are you attempting to go out and date real women?
Speaker 3: I mean it's been it's been a couple of years since I have, so it's like, I guess the reason why like this game really like help me also is because like it's been such a long time since I heard or since I read. I guess I can say, like somebody say like, oh, like I love you, like I care about you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you know. I I've been really into Zelda lately. And it's funny because it's not a dating sim but video games do this thing. Like I saved a village from a monster in Zelda, and all the villagers cheered for me. They called me a hero, and they all said that they loved me, and I swear to god, I felt it. I felt the love from these villagers. I felt like I was a hero. And I was also in my mind like what am I? This is fucking weird? What am I feeling like? This? This is these are These are not real people, these are this is a computer, you know, And I'm sure it's a similar feeling you feel when you know Monica tells you she loves you. You're like, oh, somebody loves me. But then you're like, holy shit, there's a computer. Yeah, so again, uh, you know it makes sense unless if both of us are you know, crazy.
Speaker 3: I think we both are, but it's our everybody.
Speaker 1: So okay, so what do you what do you tell me? What do you want out of life? What's what's your ideal situation moving forward here?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I still think I'm trying to figure figure all that out. Yeah, I mean I at least have a job. Yeah, I mean I don't really know where to go from here. I'm just kind of going day by day.
Speaker 1: Are you attempting to quit the game?
Speaker 3: I would like to. I haven't. I haven't logged on like in a couple of days.
Speaker 1: So does the game continue to give you motivation to do things.
Speaker 3: It did the last time I checked it?
Speaker 2: Dead?
Speaker 1: Okay, let me throw this out here. How do you feel about because I know it's weird in your mind, but how do you feel about the idea that this game and Monica telling you she loves you and that you should go get ripped? How do you feel about it as a catalyst for change and then finding your motivation from alternative sources after the fact.
Speaker 3: But use it as like a crutch until I no longer need it.
Speaker 1: Well, look, you went, you you were inspired by the anime girl to go to the gym, and there you are at the gym and then maybe you pick up a weight and it makes you feel good and you go home and you're like, ah, I'm glad I did that. I'm gonna go do that tomorrow, you know what I'm saying. And you go do it tomorrow, not because Monica told you too, but because it felt good the last time you did it. And then all of a sudden, you build a habit here, and sure Monica was the catalyst for the habit, but you're not checking in with her every day for the motivation.
Speaker 3: All Right, I guess I guess I could not feel as ashamed of it. And you know, as long as it's going in the right direction, I think I think it'll work out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, video video games do do that. They they make you different people, and we like, we like that feeling because that's why we play video games is to escape from reality. But this video game has encouraged you to plunge into reality. So that's kind of fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I didn't know what to expect when I downloaded it. I kind of had an idea, but I really did not expect this kind of outcome for me to actually go out and do something after talking with her.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: You know Mario Kart inspired me to reconnect with my father.
Speaker 2: How did that happen?
Speaker 1: Johnny? Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: No, just you know you're uh, you're doing great things on here.
Speaker 2: Deck.
Speaker 3: You've really helped me, and I know you've helped a lot of people, and I wish you the best.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you, Johnny. I love you.
Speaker 3: I love you too.
Speaker 2: Deck.
Speaker 1: Take care. Go to the gym. Maybe you'll maybe you'll inspire me to do it. It's so much more fun to tell other people to go to the gym than to actually go myself. I'm gonna play more zel than an Hello, Hi, Lyle, who is who? To whom? Do I have? To whom? Am I speaking?
Speaker 4: I think my name is Salmon in the same We'll go with that.
Speaker 1: I like that's cool name. How's it going, Salmon?
Speaker 4: Pretty good? I was just falling asleep. It was sort of a wait, but I'm glad I'm here.
Speaker 1: You were on hold for three and a half hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I didn't have much to do tonight. I kind of surrendered to the evening anyway. So it's been it's been nice, it's been fine.
Speaker 1: You know. There were other people who were on hold for also three and a half hours, and I hung up on them. But I talked to you, Okay.
Speaker 4: Well, I hope I make it worth your while.
Speaker 1: It's not. I look, I'm I'm you know, I come and go as I hope it's w this is worth your while. Other one waited three and a half hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I have been listening to the kind of did like a speed run of the whole podcast. And yeah, so I've been wanting to chat for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Now, what about.
Speaker 4: So I did a long bout of electroconvulsive therapy or I guess like people know it better as like electroshock therapy or ECP. Okay, And yeah, so I when I was deciding whether I should do it or not, I didn't know anybody who had done it. I had no one to talk to you about it. There's no frame of reference, there is no Yeah, I was in an environment where I didn't really have access to the information, but I did it. An anyway, what.
Speaker 1: What originally drove you to want to do this?
Speaker 4: So I've had mental health issues, like I first started treating them, I guess, and I was like my late teens, maybe eighteen or so, and I did medications therapy forever, and things were not really getting better. I was not doing well at work, so I was off for a little while. Essentially I tried everything and nothing was working. So I went to an inpatient facility where we tried even more of that. Essentially, it's like a three week program where they do everything. Essentially, you're very well taken care of. You live in this place. And yeah, nothing was working there either. And they had in that place a wing of like the hospital where they do that treatment. So I said, sure, I'll do it, and I ended up staying for about eight months instead of three weeks. So it was a bit of a journey, okay.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: Well, look, if you stayed for eight months, I assume it did something positive for you.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say. I mean, I gave it my best shot, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: You know what, at the very minute, at very minimum, if somebody like hands you like that fake gum, that shocks you. You're immune to that, right, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I probably not. I don't feel like I'm immune to anything except for remembering things.
Speaker 1: Okay, So well, I mean, look, tell me, tell me I'm in these eight months. What what did what? What if anything did they do for you?
Speaker 4: So I don't have a lot of memory from the time, and that's normal, like around the time that you do the therapy that you lose your short term and you know your memory of that time. But I ended up getting significant long term memory loss and short term memory loss. So from someone that I knew that was there for I think they were there for about two months, so I knew them at the beginning. They did tell me that after my first few sessions I did it three times a week, that I was kind of just like muted, like like I was kind of a muted version of myself. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't good either. It was just kind of a bit more of a drone, I guess. And uh, my family came to visit after a while. They kind of said the same thing. But but in that case, it's like, at least I'm not worse, which is you know, it's having some kind of neutrality is better than being bad. So so yeah, there was a lot of thinking exploration in that way in.
Speaker 1: These eight months. Were you like, uh, where were you lit? Where were you were you? Like, forgive me if this is a stupid question, but were you like living at the hospital?
Speaker 2: I was, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's like they have it's really it's like probably the nicest facility in the country. I was really lucky to be able to go. So usually the setup is like there's two bedrooms to a room. It definitely feels like a hospital. They kind of at the beginning, they kind of take all your stuff away as they usually do, like your clothes and whatever, but you get that stuff back when you're stable and everything. But eventually I had really bad insomnia and I eventually was able to have my own room, which was a huge luxury. But yeah, for the entirety of that I was living there in that wing of the hospital.
Speaker 1: Okay, And can I ask what did you have? I mean for those eight months, did you have like do you have to work or did you have any other kind of like responsibility to take care of while you were while you were there or how did what was this kind of the deal with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, not at all. It was purely like you focus on yourself morning tonight. Like it's a whole, integrated thing, which in itself, like from what I can remember like about it, Like it was really awesome in that way, like I know that I've met I don't remember them all, but I know I've met some special people there. And because it's kind of like you're living in like a dorm.
Speaker 1: But oh so it's like a facility, like a program. It's you and a bunch of other people doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Like there's like a cafeteria, we do stuff like we did like pottery. They're huge grounds. We'd like go for walks. There's a gym and a gymnasium and like it's like a whole it's a it's a big thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And these are all people who have mental health issues or depression or something like that that are using this as a way to kind of cure themselves.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So there's different units within the big place. And then mine was the mood and anxiety unit.
Speaker 1: Wow, did you have any your friends and family? Did they play any part in this in this journey where they were able to see them, Like what was the deal with that?
Speaker 4: I'm so lucky and that have like the most loving, caring family, And yeah, they came to see me. They were all supportive of it. I mean, I was so ready for something big to happen, like a big change or I just something had to happen. Everybody knew that as well, so everyone was excited if I was excited kind of thing. And they all came to visit once I think once. Yeah, so yeah, it was it was a positive thing, like it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you.
Speaker 1: Say you don't remember? Do you not remember because of all the shocking? Is that kind of the points?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we used to call it getting zapped. And there's much like like I said, like I guess like we would add each other on Facebook and stuff. But there's a bunch of people I don't remember pictures that kind of thing, like I think the like those kind of deep I don't remember, but from being there for so long, I do remember kind of like the facility a little bit. And there's a bridge that you can walk across to get into town. I remember the bridge very well. The thing about like the memory loss is that like some people ask like like what periods of time. Do you remember? It's really just like somebody took like steel wool and just kind of brushed over it and made everything kind of cloudy and shitty. But yes, I remember some stuff, not all of it.
Speaker 1: Tell me, Oh, I have a question, does it hurt?
Speaker 4: So I feel like I feel like I understand why Michael Jackson was addicted to all of that anesthetic, because they put you out before you do it, and I've never been like under general anesthesia befo for but that was actually a very pleasant experience. So that happens, and next thing you know, you wake up and like, so, okay, do you want me to give you like the rundown of what the routine was.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: So I'd wake up in the morning around seven thirty, and then I'd go to that specific part of the Wing for eight essentially sit in a waiting room. It was kind of scary over there because that's like the acute care place, so there's people with like severe cognitive or behavioral issues, so it was always a little tense waiting there. Anyways, they get you onto the gurney, talk to this wonderful Scottish anphesiologist and she kind of sends you off to sleep. You wake up. I think those seizures are I think they aim from anywhere from like thirty seconds to a minute and a half. It's like the sweet spot. You wake up in a recovery bed. They ask you a bunch of questions and until you can remember your name and a day and that kind of thing, and drink some juice. Then your assigned nurse comes in. You get put into a wheelchair, you get rolled back to your wing, and they put you to bed and just kind of for the day, maybe until that evening, but yeah, you just sleep.
Speaker 1: So how long ago were you at this facility?
Speaker 4: I think it was four years ago around me, I think it must have been around that.
Speaker 1: And it didn't work to help you with the issues that you were dealing with.
Speaker 4: It opened my eyes, that's for sure. It definitely brought me problems I never thought that I would have that are permanent and regretful, like namely the memory loss. I have a kind of a persistent tremor. It's just things like that.
Speaker 1: Which so so you went to be cured of your mental issue to this shock place, and you left with memory loss and tremors and this still having the mental issue.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, And I mean the practical types of therapy I guess that are like medications, like the kind of physical gibiological stuff. That's all good, but it isn't the only thing that will cure you. Like I don't think ect will ever cure you, just like pills depression, having an antidepressant and take away your depression. That's just a piece of working on the problem.
Speaker 2: That you have.
Speaker 4: So yeah, going over there and coming yeah, I definitely thought of it that way. I was like, fuck this place, Fuck this whole thing. I can't believe. I just, you know, like sacrifice so much and got back so little. So recovering from that place of recovery was a thing in itself, but you.
Speaker 1: Had to recover from the place of recovery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I had to spend another two months in another place doing more of that, but not as regulated with like that crazy like egomaniac doctor who I ended up just like dropping and just said fuck the whole thing and came home. But like kind of I feel like I don't know when you're brought to your with end, which I didn't know could go much further. Inspiration you keep searching. So I have a great doctor that I've had for like ten years, and so she we just kept trying together and I've had some different medication changes which have been helpful. But I've where I live it is very remote and it's super small. They didn't have any infrastructure for mental health services or or they did was really bad. It's much better now. So I've been lucky to have a good professional support and that's of course my family and everything is amazing. So yeah, sorry, I'm like really going off on a tangent.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny to me that this place exists because now I'm thinking about, like, you know, I could open a facility where like you know, you go in there and like people piss on you and it's supposed to help you, like you know, fix whatever's going on with you. And then you know, they go there for a while and they get out and they're like, oh man, I'm like covered and pissed. Everything's worse now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's funny too because they'll pay the top dollar and you know, you can piss on some celebrities and you can piss on some very west wealthy people and there's no reason.
Speaker 1: So so salmon before we go. Bring uh, bring me to now, Bring me to now. I assume you're still trying to fix whatever uh sent you to that place in the first place. What tell me both, Well, tell me about what you're doing to try and then also how you're feeling about the fact that you're even still trying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's hard sometimes, but like it I'm a measurably immeasurably better than I watched four years ago. Like I said, just like built up my base with doctors, therapists, you know, everyone that I can. And I'm back at work, which is awesome. I work from home, moved into a new place. You know, it's been an interesting ride, Like relatively comparatively to the world out there, I have things very very very good. But that isn't to say, like, you know, there are hard times. Anybody of any place or wherever you come from. Everyone has hard times.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well I'm glad to hear I will.
Speaker 2: Look.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if you said that you're doing better now than four years ago, that's an improvement. Uh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like it wasn't all for it wasn't all loss. Yeah.
Speaker 1: An upwards trajectory is uh is a blessing. Tell me, well, so do you do you? I guess, looking back on it all, do you regret going or are you glad that everything that's happened to you in lifeless? Far as you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think it could have happened any other way, like I just think I would. It would have had to come to that at some point through the system that I'm currently in. It would have happened regardless unless I went off and did something horrible, and I had an incredible doctor when I was there and he was very attentive. I think it was just an unfortunate thing that happened. So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm no doctor, But have you ever tried Flintstone's vitamins?
Speaker 4: I haven't had those in a while. You know, I should probably look into that.
Speaker 1: Thanks for sharing all of this stuff, Sam, and I know it so I know, I mean, especially to share it with all the memory lost thing, and it sounds very fascinating. Maybe somebody will, I don't know, hear this in the podcast and want to try it themselves, although I guess not because you you did give it a pretty bad review, so maybe you're saving someone from who knows you.
Speaker 4: Want want to say is that, like, yeah, I do want to say, just because it was bad for me doesn't mean it's going to be bad for everybody, Like they're just like you. Just sometimes you get a bad role and whatever, So I would never I don't want to discourage anybody from doing anything. I just want to encourage people to ask questions and to uh, don't feel pressured to do something because someone.
Speaker 1: Tells you it's good, Sam, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 4: I do yeah. When we're saying yeah, when someone tells you like about their struggle and my journey and my mission, the kind of like youth pastor style, like how hard you have to fight? It kind of sets you up for believing that getting better is going to be really fucking hard and it's not easy, don't get me wrong, but it isn't as hard as all these people who fucking write books and do stupid YouTube videos on And you don't have to get tattoos and you know what I mean, Like you don't have to feel gung ho about it. It's possible, And don't believe the hype. Don't set yourself up for something that's difficult, because it's a lot easier than you might think.
Speaker 1: I like what you said just now. It's a very kind of stoic way of looking at things. Like you know, if you look at your whatever, whatever it is that you're struggling with, if you look at it as you're bearing a great, horrible weight, and that's your perspective on it, then that's what it's going to be, you know. But if you can maybe have a little bit of a lighter perspective, I think it will help.
Speaker 4: Is that kind of exactly That's exactly it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, good, well, salmon get bless you. Thank you for sharing, and I hope you find your panacea.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I have agreed even my call, good.
Speaker 1: Night, Samon. I really do swear by those Flintstones vitamin gummies. They're good and they didn't pay me to say that. Check them out. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: He good luck.
Speaker 1: Oh, Hi, you're already on Hi.
Speaker 2: Wait wait what the I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I'll give you two seconds, understand, Yes, so all right.
Speaker 5: I'm telling my story right.
Speaker 1: Right were yes? Yeah, you are sure? Sure?
Speaker 5: I didn't think i'd get on that fast, man. I alright. So so back in like third or second grade, I was a little little kid, right and I used to have bad anger issues. And this kid he was he was kind of in a wheelchair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 5: Supposedly he threw some kind of ball at me. I'm assuming a dodgeball, something like a basketball. I don't know, but uh, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Like this kid.
Speaker 5: He's kind of mean to everybody. So he threw that ball at me, and I kind of I kind of punched him.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: All right, So there is a kid in a wheelchair who threw a ball at you, and so you punched him.
Speaker 5: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: You see, you seem to have conflicting emotions surrounding this. What are they?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Does that make me a bad person? Or since I was like a little kid, does it like?
Speaker 2: Uh oh, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, man, Well just see does that make you a bad person? If you did it yesterday, I'd be like, you know, you probably should not. You know, I was gonna say I was if you did it yesterday, I was gonna say, should have done that? You probably shouldn't have done that in third grade either, But we we hear we we undeniably. I want you to we undeniably live in the universe in which you did do that. But I know it's okay, just let it. Let it, yeah, let it hit you. I get it. I get it. We've all done things. We're not proud of them. Okay, what now? What now?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: You said that the kid. You said that the kid was being a dick? How did that? How was he a dick?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: Since I was, like, I used to have angry issues, right, you know, real bad. So I used to be in this special ed class and they kind of separate them, right, so they'd have the kids with like physical disabilities and uh stuff like that, separated into like a different class, and they have kids like me that just have like angry issues and stuff, and they'd separate us and put us all in the class. Which that doesn't sound like a very good idea to start with. But uh, me and this kid, we used to get along. But one day just start taking my cars and stuff and complaining it to the teachers. And I remember that's how I like, and it's I'm mad at him or something.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, you should you should call him, You should find him do you still talk to this person?
Speaker 5: Oh no, it's spent like years. It was like around about third grade.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you know what they're doing? Are they still in the wheelchair?
Speaker 2: Odd?
Speaker 5: Soon? So he was like paralyzed, oh kind of from like the waights down.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that makes it much worse. I thought he was like in a wheelchair temporarily. No, Okay, here's here's what you should do. You should find him on Facebook and invite him uh to run over you in his wheelchair, so you guys can be.
Speaker 5: Even now that I'm here and them, I'm thinking that that's pretty fair. Mm hmm, I mean, oh yeah, thanks for wanting me call me and on stone.
Speaker 1: What's your hold on? I'm not what's your life like now?
Speaker 2: My life like? Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah's life like now?
Speaker 5: I'd say to pretty better man, It's good, it's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For sure.
Speaker 5: I don't go around punching kids and wheelchairs anymore, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: See. Here's the thing. You cannot change the past, but you can change, you know, your actions moving forward. And I think the fact that you haven't punched anyone in any wheelchairs since then is it wonderful development. You should be proud of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well thanks for letting I'm showing in. I was surprised there. I didn't think I was going to get on. I've been waiting, legit, until I turned eighteen to call. I still got like a squeaker boys gone.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when did you turn? Eighteen?
Speaker 5: January sixteen?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Oh, coid? Did you do anything fun for your birthday?
Speaker 5: Not that I know, not really, it's kind of boring. Man, I only have like h he said.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Who are you with?
Speaker 5: I'm with Alm with my brother here.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 5: I was telling him we're trying to get a story made up here. We're not made up, but like something that actually happened has kind of messed up. And he's like, yeah, you gotta go and do that one whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh you were trying, Oh you were trying to like figure out what you were going to talk about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my mom, whenever we meet somebody new, she'll go and tell them that story of me. It's so much still because now everybody's like, oh could it's kind of a psycho stay away from them.
Speaker 1: Why does your why does your mom tell everybody she meets that story?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I really don't know.
Speaker 5: It's just like if they if we're sitting around talking and stuff, she'll just bring it up and she'll be like, oh, yeah, my son he went he went and punched his kid for thowing about him and guess what. Guess what? He was in a wheelchair and like, all right, it's a great introduction.
Speaker 2: Who I am?
Speaker 1: Your mother really doesn't like you?
Speaker 5: Ooh, that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: Man, Do you know any do you know any? Do you know anything that she's ashamed of?
Speaker 5: Ah mm hmmm probably me.
Speaker 1: No, Okay, As I was going to say, you should learn something about her and be like, Okay, every time you tell the wheelchair story, I'm gonna tell the story of how you uh che did on my dad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's actually a good one. That would be a good one right there.
Speaker 1: Wait did that actually happen? I mean.
Speaker 5: That's that's that's another story man. That's all.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a shagg Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 5: Ah? Stay stellar guys, absolutely wicked, gnarly Geky's the best, ma'am.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 5: I'm like he's number one, maybe number two. Fan I want to say I'm number one. That feels like too much responsibility.
Speaker 1: Shaggy, I appreciate you. I'm glad to see that you're a changed man, and good luck with the rest of your life.
Speaker 5: H It's all right, love you man.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 6: I'm okay, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm a gecko on the computer. I gotta ask you? Yeah, yeah, right, yeah, all right. It says here Django says that your name is Django. Cool name. It says you wrote a comedy album with your friends and it ruined your life and you feel like you lost your mind. What's the deal here? Tell us what's going on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, so for my friend's birthday, we all we all took a we all took acid, and I think it was a bad experience for everybody, but for me in particular. I feel like I lost a bit of my mind. And we still kind of stayed friends after that, and I guess it's like a coping mechanism. Wrote this like funny little album, but I think I took it a little more seriously than everybody else, and it just yeah, I don't know. They they like didn't really want to work with me after that and didn't really want to be friends with me after that.
Speaker 1: So this album ruined your life because you guys tried to uh, because you kind of took a little bit more seriously than everyone else did, and they did you feel like they didn't want to keep being your friend because of how seriously you took making this album.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think I was a little over the top. I think, Okay, we were getting to like Andy Kachman level bits, and I think it was just a little too extreme. The like the line between reality and and what was a joke I think got really thinned. And I think during the making of this, I mean it was it was a ninety nine song project which we recorded each of the songs twice, so it took about a year a time, and I think for parts of that it just, Yeah, it became very difficult to be friends. And I don't know, I was working with at a job with the individual who I was making this album with, and yeah, the prices to say that didn't pan out either.
Speaker 1: What kind of album was this?
Speaker 6: It was like a comedy album. It was it was kind of about this acid trip that it was a it was a ironic so it's actually we wrote an album about creative. It was an allegory for for this acid trip.
Speaker 1: That sounds cool, okay, And what way specifically were you taking up more seriously than everyone else.
Speaker 6: I think I was just like trying to push push basically, the the the the other people, to to to record more, to dedicate more time to it, to try to write more songs, be more invested into it. And I think I I I kind of feel the fault for that. I think I've I've gained a little bit of perspective and I do think you know it's not worth sort of the consequences.
Speaker 2: Mhm mhm. Uh.
Speaker 1: This is a very tough thing. Uh, when you know you're more invested in something than the people around you, but you can you can never really, I don't know. Anytime you have this is maybe dark, but anytime you have expectations of other people, you fuck yourself a little.
Speaker 6: Bit, right, No, exactly, And I think I think there's definitely was a control element as well.
Speaker 1: But yeah, ah, listen, I'm gonna be honest with you. Jangle, I'm I'm I'm so sorry, but I'm i'm i'm i'm i am feeling a little bit drained here. I'd love to talk to you more about this. When I cannot be falling asleep. Let me let me, let me tell you this. You clearly have You clearly have the desire to make things okay, So just go make them, all right? You know. The best you can do to separate your artistic and work life from your personal life, I think the better. I think some people out there are blessed and fortunate enough that those two lives intertwined beautifully with no complied. I used to be jealous of those folks, you know, like Seth Rogan has his his guy that he does everything with. You know, there's Matt Stone and Trey Parker and fucking Tim and Eric and you know, these these guys who are who who make things with other people, and everyone seems to be, you know, the same level of invested and on the same page with everything. It's a beautiful thing. Actually, for a long time I was really jealous, and I really really wanted UH to have a partnership like that or a group like that, but it just never really worked out. And now I do this thing by myself, and you know, yeah, I understand why that that can be tough. It was tough for me, but don't you know, don't let it stop you from making things. And uh, if if you happen to live a life where you're artistic and business endeavors are separate from your friendships, that's actually probably a good thing. Was any of what I just said helpful or relevant to what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: No, yeah, absolutely, I think it means a lot to hear something else say that. I don't think I've ever heard anybody else kind of share that sentiment.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was a huge, huge, huge thing, especially like in high school, you know, I, well, my friends all helped me make movies, but I think I was the only one who like really wanted to do it, like for real, Like I was like I was the only one who wanted to go to film school. At the time, one of my friends that I ended up going to film school, but uh, you know, at the I don't know. At the time, I felt like I was I was the only one who was really kind of trying it for real. And yeah, that was a lonely feeling. And again, even now as I'm doing this, I feel like I'm you know, uh, I'm the only guy here talking on this podcast right now, and that can be lonely sometimes, you know, it does make me wish I had, you know, I guess other other other kind of creative, like like collaborators in that sense. But don't let's stop you from doing things, all right, No.
Speaker 2: I won't.
Speaker 6: I appreciate the the thoughts and the sentiment.
Speaker 1: So anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go, django? No, God, bless you. Take care man, you too. But hello, Well, what's your name, sir?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Trevor, Trevor.
Speaker 1: What is happening with you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Not much, man, I was just calling in want to get your advice about some about some ship that happened.
Speaker 1: Tell me you're talking about the ship that happens, all right, dude.
Speaker 2: So on Christmas, I was last minute shopping and I fucking found uh black Santa. It was like a little like a figurine, and I put it on my table and I invited all my friends over. They came over, They're like, what the fuck, Like, Santa's white?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like.
Speaker 2: How do you fucking know that? How do you fucking know this Santa is white? You know? And they just kept giving me shit about it, and I was like, dude, it's just figurine. Santa could be any race. Yeah, you know what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, it's true. He's a fictional character.
Speaker 2: Exactly. So eventually I got sick of it and I kicked him all out. I was like, what the fuck, you know, like, there's enough, Like you gotta get the fuck out here. So after that, I kind of felt like I was being rude, but like at the same time, like the company I was with, like, you're fucking racist.
Speaker 1: Well, I just don't understand why. It was like, well, what about it was so egregious to them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's what That's what I was thinking, man, like, like it's not like I don't know, I just want to get your thoughts about it. Like, it's just it's a fucking figurine you know that was that was black. It's a fucking black scent like it just, yeah, it could be anything. It's representing Christmas. So after I kicked him my out, I felt kind of bad, and then I was like, fuck, so.
Speaker 1: How many How many people were there?
Speaker 2: About six or seven and all.
Speaker 1: Of them were upset with the figure?
Speaker 2: Oh no, it was like five or six.
Speaker 1: Wait all right, so there was there were seven people at your house and six of them were upset about this Santa figurine.
Speaker 2: Well, they were making fun of me, like what the fuck are you doing? Like Santa is white? You know, like you don't know that. You don't fucking know that. Man.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a subjective interpretation of a fictional character. I mean, you could make anything. You know, it's a fictional character. There's no I didn't even think I don't think there's a I don't even think that there's a canonical Santa Claus. Like the guy who invented Santa Claus is dead and so as far as I've concerned that character is in the public, is in the public.
Speaker 2: Don't exactly, Man, I've done research on it since then, Like it's a real character.
Speaker 1: Manright, so you did you your friends complained about you having a black Santa figurine, and then you did research on Santa.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, just to see like like why they were upset, you know, like in actually Santa was white and it's not even like no, it's like actually like h like, uh, I don't know, I've read so much about it, but like there's no race specifically for Santa Claus. Like so when I bought this like figurine at Walmart, like it just I don't know, Like it was just like when I saw it, I was like, yeah, fuck yeah, like I'll get it, dude. So after I kicked him out, I was just like, I don't know. I was chilled with the figurine?
Speaker 1: Did did the figure?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Did you did you get it the figure and say anything to you? Did you like sense any thing from it?
Speaker 2: Sense anything from it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Start a straight sip and soco and uh, just kind of chilled, just relaxed, just fucking just chilled.
Speaker 5: Do you think it's great?
Speaker 1: Do I think what I think? What's racist?
Speaker 2: Like having a black Santu?
Speaker 1: Uh? Like, like, do I think you having a black Santa figuree? And as racist? First of all, I I don't even care what it is, whatever it is. I am not a good person to ask about whether or not something is racist. I am not the judge, jury, and executioner of that. But there is no canonical even for who gives a shit? It's this fan art. It sounds Look, here's the thing. At the end of the day. It sounds like you enjoy this FIGUREE. It sounds like it gives you, uh, you know, a pleasure in your life. And I think that's all that's all that matters at the end of the day. You know, I think your friends should, you know, respect the items you have in your home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who knows? Who the fuck knows if Santa is white, black, any fucking Santa.
Speaker 1: Santa's Santa's a fictional character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Like people don't people know these things.
Speaker 1: They decide them in their own versions.
Speaker 2: That exactly.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Oh man, you've just justified like everything I've thought. Like, I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: I hope, I hope that's a good thing what you just said. Trevor, Trevor, Trevor, What are you doing tonight outside of this right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just got done working out, a fucking drinking a little bit of beer, I don't know, chill with my dogs.
Speaker 1: You seem like you have a nice life for yourself. You seem like you can put yourself in any situation and be happy. It's a sense I get from you. Thanks, Man, Is anything else you want to say before we go? Well? Yeah, yeah, final, you have a final thought. I want to hear your final thought.
Speaker 2: Oh, my final thought. I think that everybody should be accepted, like accepting of like any kind of race that represents anything. You know, what I'm saying, like, it's just I don't know, Like it's just like like you said, it's a fictional fucking character. Character And if anybody represents this fictional character here that a ton of people, mainly children, believe in, I don't know. I don't think they should have a strong opinion about it. Like, it's just it is, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Well, Trevor, thank you for calling. And I hope that, uh, I hope, I'll hope you you're able to find friends? Uh who do who don't care about Santa Claus at all?
Speaker 2: What do you think about Santa Claus?
Speaker 1: I have no strong thoughts, feelings, or sentiments about Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: Do you represent Chris or like do you do? You celebrate Christmas?
Speaker 1: Everyone celebrates Christmas. Christmas is an undeniable thing. If you walk around that side, you celebrate Christmas? All right, I'll talk to you to Trevor. H Listen, he's a good guy. He's a good guy. Never be get goes on the line taking your phone calls every night.
Speaker 2: Never be get goes doing his eye. He's teaching you a cloud in the middle of your life.
Speaker 6: But he's not ready an expert