Speaker 1: Welcome back to I Do Part two. I am one of your celebrity mentors, Jennifer Fessler. You know me from the podcast I co host to Jersey Jays with Jackie Goldschneider and from the Real Housewives of New Jersey. I am so excited because tonight I am joined by fellow housewife, well by housewife, I'm not a house anyway, and celebrity mentor Kelly ben Simone, and we are coming to you from Live in the Vineyard in Napa Valley, California. Hi, Kel, Hi, I think my voice just cracked a little.
Speaker 2: I know, because we've had a long Weekay, it's been a day. Well, you and I both came from Newark.
Speaker 1: Right to I came from Kennedy. Oh you did, Oh beckew Delta.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So we both came from New York today. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So it's a long day.
Speaker 2: It's a but how unbelievably gorgeous is it here?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I've never been in weather. Just the weather. It is so beautiful. Napa is gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Just don't take a taxi.
Speaker 2: I got off, I get out of the airport and I'm like, oh, I'm just going to take a taxi. I was like, a taxi, you didn't take an uber? I was like, no, I'm I live in New York, Like we take taxis literally four hundred dollars later, so don't do that.
Speaker 1: Much or was not that much less, but also we just don't take the uber. Listen, thank you, iHeart.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kelly, So I we are going to jump right in because I feel like the I Do listeners have been on this journey with you and having to do with your dating life. Yes, so let me just give you, guys first, a little bit of the backstory. So, Kelly, you when was it back a little ways? You played the dating game? Yes, our friend Kelly here is single and ready to mingle. And you played the dating game on I Do Part two with three different men. Yes, and you chose one from the Golden Bachelor. Correct, you chose.
Speaker 2: They already have Three of the guys on the dating game were from the Golden Bachelor.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, and I chose one of them. Okay, So you chose one of them.
Speaker 2: I chose him because he can make salmon at a certain temperature.
Speaker 1: All right, apparably really like salmon. Or so you gotta think for sam. I like, but I.
Speaker 2: Also like men that cook. Okay, Kelly, I can make food. I can make food, but I don't I don't like to.
Speaker 1: There was something about the I don't like to cue on.
Speaker 3: I love when a man makes me food.
Speaker 1: Okay, But it didn't work out. His his proficiency in salmon cooking was not enough because.
Speaker 2: Well it wasn't enough because then he started texting me these telendovellas about what he's doing, how kind of pocket square he's wearing. I'm like, have you met me before you read?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: My name is Kelly, how are you nice to see you?
Speaker 1: Where are you from? Right?
Speaker 2: And he jumped he jumped in and was just like, I'm going to be a superstar.
Speaker 3: And this was happening, and then.
Speaker 1: I'm going to be a superstar like he was.
Speaker 2: He was going to be a he was going to be on some television show. I was like, that's great. I thought you were a doctor. That kind of turned me off. And so then it was so wild because I'm like, all of a sudden, like he's texting me and he's like, I have I can't go to I can't come meet you at iHeart because I'm meeting this girl and this is her name, and I'm like okay, and I said, did I miss something? That was my Yeah, I didn't say I literally just read it and I said, did I miss something? And then he went into a whole other thing about why he couldn't go on the date with me or whatever, why we couldn't walk the carpet.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I got to walk the carpet with Gary, and that's where you and I became yes.
Speaker 1: But hold on a second, hold on. So Gary was Bachelor number whatever two three. I was gonna pick Gary, but you didn't Gary. I wanted to pick Gary. I really really want Gary's also from the Golden Bachelor.
Speaker 3: He is also from the Golden Battery. Also can cook very well.
Speaker 2: But the salmon really got me.
Speaker 1: That was something about this, I have to be honest with you. I listened to that episode, as I do listen to all of I DO Part two episodes, and I'm like listening to it and it was so I'm sorry, Kelly, but like I was like, this is no, no, no, no no. It was so awkward. My kids get so pissed when.
Speaker 3: I do that.
Speaker 1: It was so kind of cringe no, I mean you didn't feel like that.
Speaker 3: You know, I was having so much fun.
Speaker 2: And I think one thing that's been really great about being on I Do Part two is that I started with therapy, and then every single time that we would film.
Speaker 3: And be on the podcast and in the pod, I was applying what I was learning.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: And so not only was I learning new you know, a new not not a narrative people like it's not a narrative, I was learning how to apply my new tools with my in my tool belt for times when I needed it. I was also learning when things were triggering me from my past, like you know, you know, you and I have talked about this before about you know, being wildly insecure and you know, having you know, men not be exactly like not choosing good men, like you know, being around men that were not not really good for me. And so I've made this concerted effort to really open, be more open, be more vulnerable, and be more respectful of myself.
Speaker 3: So I was like salmon for the wind right.
Speaker 1: But I'm saying, even with all of that, when I thought of these because what you're saying is you are more open, and you were more open because when I listened to it, what I thought was none of these three guys are for Kelly, absolutely not. And hel you're a cool cat, and not that these I'm not trying to say that these guys are not cool, but different there they felt if.
Speaker 3: You're making.
Speaker 1: They are such nice guys. Listen, I'm not married to a cool cat. Let's get real. My husband, Jeff Fesler is there's nothing cool about him. Amazing, I agree, but he's not cool. These guys, I don't know. I just didn't see.
Speaker 2: That's he is cool because you can take him anywhere and he is like very very easy.
Speaker 1: Again, these three guys anywhere too. But I'm saying, like even their responses they were just a little cringe. I feel like they were a little come on, you know what I'm saying. But you yes, I think that it's great that you were open and you were like, doesn't matter. He likes salmon. I like salmon. This could work.
Speaker 2: But you know what that I think Jen two, is that that was That's one of the things that I think is really important when you are dating, is that not to date the person that you want, but to start dating and be in the pool because you never know who you're gonna meet.
Speaker 1: And also, Kelly, you don't know.
Speaker 3: That you know how that you know? It's like you did there.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, you could get a kiss a couple of maion frogs and you meet the prince. But some many times you don't know that the prince is the frog. You don't know that, Kelly, and all.
Speaker 1: You know by the way you're on nd but you're not in it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get I mean what I'm gonna sit in I sit at home my dating that being like this guy's hot, this guy's not.
Speaker 1: Yes, listen to it, like physically engage with the smart one because I was like, oh god, none of these three kids, there's something wrong with them. But I'm just saying, like none of these guys are for Kelly as I was listening to it. But the truth is you're right, and it's like great advice.
Speaker 3: It's that you have to be in it.
Speaker 1: You have to and write, you have to give it some you have to like I used to say this, you know how woman.
Speaker 3: To you know what?
Speaker 2: You know? It's like there's it's been interesting too because I that one one person said to me, dating is like a job.
Speaker 3: And you have to treat it like a job.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know how like you're like and you go to the gym and your hair is boned now and you're ready to go and you're on your phone, calls you your mo.
Speaker 3: You have to do the same thing the day. I want to be like dressed. You have to be ready to do. You have to be well rested, you have to have you have to like be so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yes, going out to meet a guy if it were me right now and I was single, even when I was single in my twenties, I I, oh, I had dates all the time because I always said yes, didn't matter like if they were whatever it was because it was just a drink or it was just ID never made dinner dates and.
Speaker 2: More often than not very easy going.
Speaker 1: Right right, But I would be a very.
Speaker 2: Woman nally you can like you can talk to like wet paint. I mean, you are like very very I I am very I'm I'm a very outgoing person, but I'm also wildly insecure. So I present as outgoing, but I am super super very very reserved and like like literally like.
Speaker 1: You opened yourself up though to these three guys that I found completely cringe guys, I don't mean it like that. I just mean a little bit. Yeah I do. But but but if I if you're my best friend, I'm telling you it doesn't matter. Kelly, pick one and let's play it out. Let's see what happens. That's what they were just on. You know what they were. They were holding microphones in their hair. They were being recorded and maybe they were awkward, but you did and you right.
Speaker 3: So I did not see them.
Speaker 2: So it was like the dating game, so I had no idea, not so I couldn't make a judgment based on physical I love.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right, I'm wrong you. I'm glad of you.
Speaker 3: No, you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: They were, but like you did the right thing. I'm glad that you picked when you went out, or you didn't go out with him. He turns out that he was cringey. And then you moved on to Gary, who was very sweet, and you took two the iHeart Music Awards. And I know, but it didn't obviously I don't. There's there's no ring on your finger, or it's not going to be. It doesn't sound like it was. But it was so far I ever a date, but yes, and it made me feel really good. Okay.
Speaker 2: And so after we left that night and I got to meet you, and I was in a really good mood and I had a lot of fun. And then when I left and went back to New York, I felt really good about myself. And that's the other thing that's good about going out a lot of going on a lot of different dates, is that because you you don't know, you don't even know who these people are. One guy said to me something that was really interesting. He said, let's just go on a date, because the worst thing that could happen is we could be really good friends.
Speaker 1: That's every that's I used to preach that. I'm just saying, like maybe if there's not a connection, like maybe you know someone, maybe I know someone, Right, that's how people should look at day, Like it's just Pete, we're just two people.
Speaker 2: And I have done that before. I have gone in to day and I'm thinking to myself, this guy's not good for me. I'm gonna introduce him to my friend. I've done that many times.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, so Gary, I don't I don't know why he wasn't for you, but let's just I'm gonna s so we love Gary we love Gary, but it wasn't a love connection. No, okay, but I love It's amazing. And then you got a d M from Let's take it from here, Yes, so tell us about that.
Speaker 2: So I had no idea who this was, and I get a lot of dms.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to sit here and bullshit you guys. I get a lot of d ms of people. Sometimes they're for real, sometimes they're not. And so he was like, I'm from Chicago, and like, no one ever comes off and is like I'm from Chicago. I was like, wait, I'm sorry, what.
Speaker 1: Do you lot Why that's so unusual because I'm from Rockford.
Speaker 3: So it's like, it's like that's close proximity.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's like if someone says.
Speaker 2: That I don't know, like Texas, yeah, Texas right there, they're from you near your hometown or like but they they went to college with you in Boston or something, you know what I mean. They were like, it's just you know, just it just I never meet people that are in my circle, and so it's nice to know that there's someone there who kind of understands and that has a baseline understanding, so we don't have to be like, oh, you know.
Speaker 3: What's you know?
Speaker 2: You know, what do you guys?
Speaker 3: What do you guys eat?
Speaker 2: In Illinois?
Speaker 3: People people always ask me. I'm like, what do you mean.
Speaker 2: When we eat like cheese? Obviously right joking, but people ask me that all the time. So what do they eat there? I'm like, food?
Speaker 1: Like I never thought it to ask anyone from Chicago that.
Speaker 2: Because you're a sophisticated woman, I'm talking about I'm talking about guys.
Speaker 1: Oh, we have to talk about Pascal, right, so we're gonna What was interesting is that when he was saying all those things is that he was talking about things that made me feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: He's talking about.
Speaker 2: Illinois and he was like, oh, I'm a hairdresser, you have beautiful hair.
Speaker 3: He was talking.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know that sounds weird, but I mean it was also very nice.
Speaker 3: Too nice.
Speaker 2: And you know, he was on this show and he knew both Guy and Gary, who I I didn't. I don't know Guy, but I mean I did have some I did read some of his texts, and then you know, I obviously spent some time with Gary, who was so lovely and so did you and so yeah, so there were there was like a common denominated right.
Speaker 1: Right, So he slid in I really hate that expression. He slid in to your d MS and said, I'm from Chicago. Great, So now you guys made the connection. And so I didn't know who he was because you didn't watch the Golden Bachelor, right right with Bachelrette.
Speaker 2: Right, and I've watched The Bachelor for a thousand rights, but that I hadn't watched the Golden Bachelor, okay, And so I didn't know who he was, and you were open as you were. He told me he was on it and he was mentioning these people. So again like there was like a was.
Speaker 1: Like, so he wanted so he said, let's meet. And then what you said, you called the producer said okay, so here's this guy. Let's let's set it up. And they said, why don't you guys meet?
Speaker 2: I just was like, what is going on here? Is this going to be like guy number two? Is he just you just want to meet me because he you know, like I'm on Housewives and he was on the Bachelor, and he wants to like you know, you never you don't know like I was talking about, you know, I was just saying that like when I would go on dates. I would think that people were like, oh, I want to I want to date her because she's wild and crazy. Because people would call me crazy. I'm from Scary Island. I'm not I'm the least crazy person. I'm like so grounded, it's ridiculous. But they thought and then they were bored. They're like, Oh, she's just really not crazy.
Speaker 3: She just eats cheese.
Speaker 2: I'm just joking. She wants to want to sammy each cheese. But you know, that was one of those those are the things that were happening. So to meet someone that was you know, common, you know, the common denominator sounded like really interesting and and I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, maybe he's great. Right, So then.
Speaker 1: Now here we are, now here we are now about the producer said, let's do it in Napa, right.
Speaker 2: So we had we talked over we were on a podcast together, okay, and we spoke.
Speaker 1: I actually know that I listened to and he was very charming. He is very charming, very very charming.
Speaker 2: I mean I was not answering the questions correctly. He was like they were like if you could go, and and if you could go. Bob was like, if you could go, you know, on date with Kelly, where would you take her? And he said this very very nice, this really nice date. And I was like, oh, I would take you to Gibson's and show you my Playboy cover.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean I was making total jerk.
Speaker 1: Well obviously not too much of a jerk because he showed up NAPA, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, I was just like, you know what, like if it's hard.
Speaker 1: That's a hard scenario when you're being asked these questions. I mean you asked those guys like if you were a rooster and I was a chicken, what would be your cockadile? I would have died? Like like I was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I was infusing the tools on my toolbout because I'm spposed to be opening vulnerable and here I was talking about my Playboy colver and like how you should like look at it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm a Kelly fan, so I'm going to say that that's there's nothing wrong with that. Sorry. So now you guys get to NAPA. You meet for the first time, Yes, right off the bat, what was your first impression?
Speaker 3: Very attractive, very attractive, very fit.
Speaker 1: Yes. By the way, guys, if you don't know Pascal is French.
Speaker 3: He is from Paris.
Speaker 1: Yes, he's from Paris.
Speaker 4: He owns multiple salons in Chicago. Correct, and yes he's a big businessman. Your husband ex husmand is French. Excuse me, you were raising Illinois. Clue, there's a common thread common threads, I should say. So you meet him, first impression, good looking fit.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, good looking infit?
Speaker 2: And I met him and I was, I mean, I met him this morning and I was in a bikini.
Speaker 1: Literally, so that is the way to go.
Speaker 2: I saw you and then I saw him. I was like, I mean, seeing today in a bikini, it's been great.
Speaker 1: If I were Kelly Bensman, I would definitely meet a first date in a bikini. That'd be a smart move. So just so you guys did, whether or not it was the intention, it worked. So now we go.
Speaker 3: We go all swad weird. She was on too and a big robe.
Speaker 2: I don't think you saw that for it.
Speaker 1: So we all so you saw him in your bikini and then what then we all got into the sprinter van. Yes, okay, So now you guys are chit chatting in the sprinter van. Yes, we're all kind of chit chatting. Yes, we get to the concert. You guys, we were not all sitting together, So just tell me a little bit about what your thoughts are. How'd you see?
Speaker 2: So Deanna and I we know each other from another podcast, and we we we hit.
Speaker 3: It off really really well.
Speaker 2: She was on She's a Beautiful, Beautiful Girl from Bachelor Nation. She was on The Bachelor and the Bachelorette, And so we were the three of us were sitting together. You were off getting photos with like this rock star that rock star, country music stars, and I was sitting with him and he was very, very very nice. But then he would get up and disappear and then come back. And you know, when you're on a date, like I'm not expecting you to like kiss my feet, but when you're on a date with me, or I suppose date, or you know, even if you're just meeting me, I expect to see some kind of genuine interests.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't like he was joined the French thing, which is like disinterested. He was just like kind of distant. And he was also like asking me questions instead of being like, hey, you know, listen, you don't you know who you're gonna meet? Do you know what I mean, like, and who knows, Maybe I would, maybe I was open to it, but because he was kind of weird with me, it made me uncomfortable and just like I hung out with the end of the whole time.
Speaker 1: So this is the beautiful thing. Guys. If you're listening and you're single, about dating is like you're here to tell the story.
Speaker 3: You're either in it or or not.
Speaker 2: And you know, who knows. Again, we talked about about kissing frogs. You don't know who the prince is or the princess is if you don't try. And you know, how do you know that I'm interested or not interested?
Speaker 1: You think that he was intimidated, and then I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think he was intimidated.
Speaker 2: I think that he was trying to figure out what's going on and what's happening. And you know, I think that you have to take every we talked about this before. You have to take every opportunity, Like if you see a hot girl on the subway, Hello, here's my here's my number. I want to talk to you. Whatever you have to take, you have to take the initiative because it's the time that moment's going to go. So if you don't like say like, hey, I would love to do X, Y or Z or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know, how am I sp to know?
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm very interested to hear his take.
Speaker 3: Yes, because me too.
Speaker 1: It's hard for me to picture a scenario where he was not very interested in you, But I guess we'll find out. But yeah, listen, So okay, so right now before we bring I'm gonna talk to Pascal and then talk to both of you. But you feel like he just wasn't present present and okay that's a perfect word.
Speaker 3: Not present. So that was a turnoff, wildly turned off.
Speaker 2: Whereas like Gary was like we were walking down the red carpet at i Hurt Radio with every famous musician and you getting photos with all those famous musicians.
Speaker 1: Yeah I know, I know.
Speaker 3: And he was the most charming, lovely human.
Speaker 2: He was like, are you okay? Is everything all right?
Speaker 1: Well, Pascal did mention to me that he does think that Gary has a very big thing for you, So I don't know if that has anything to do with this. I will ask him. Nobody did say that, but you know what I'm saying, Yes, say what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I think that a man, you know what a man likes you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, well, I'm going to know because sometimes.
Speaker 2: And sometimes sometimes you know, because they do the opposite, Like they'll be mean to you, or they'll say you know what I mean, you know, they'll like poke you, or you think you.
Speaker 1: Could have liked him though there was potential for it. You know.
Speaker 2: I was on the podcast with him and then I met him today, and I think he's a really, really, really incredible person. Do I think he's the right person for me. I don't think so. And you know, one of the reasons that he's not is because, to be honest with you, is because he's French. Like I already, you're married a Frenchman. I already know what that's about. And by the way, and I love French culture and I love frenchmen, but I don't want to be married to another Frenchman.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, I just don't.
Speaker 2: I'll speak French all day long with you, we can be pen pals, we can talk on the phone. I just do not want to be married to another french Man. I want a family for my family. I want a real man who loves my kids. Because they didn't have that family's environment. They only had me as their parent. And I want a man who's nurturing and loving not only to me but also to our.
Speaker 1: If you were at Pascal say in the episode you Guys did together that he really doesn't not interested in any small kids, which is okay. He has been a father, he does not want to be a father again. And so I don't know if that struck you at all. It did, But when I was listening, I was like, well, even if your kids are of a certain age, there're still you know, you want somebody that wants they.
Speaker 3: Still needs to be They're still in that process.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're still going, there's still meeting men, there's still you know, navigating their their work, their work life.
Speaker 3: They're navigating you know, their new future.
Speaker 2: And they're going to have be having children. And I definitely want to be one thousand percent a part of every part of it.
Speaker 3: Yes, So that's just super important to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is really.
Speaker 2: Family is paramount to my happiness.
Speaker 1: I think it is to his too. But but whatever, there's a disconnect here, all right.
Speaker 2: But like I mean, like family together all the time, but I stand together all the time. Yes, And I don't care how all the old the kids are. My ex had younger children like I don't. I'm not worried about having about being around younger children.
Speaker 3: I just want a family for my family.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's the greatest expression. Do you make that up?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I love it. All right, we're gonna bring pastcalon and then we're gonna bring it together.
Speaker 3: Worsmith, You didn't know you are.
Speaker 1: A wordsmith amongst other things, amongst many, many, many other talents.
Speaker 3: No, but it's important, you know, you have to.
Speaker 2: I think that's the other thing that I learned from this whole entire process. There's two things that I've learned. One is to be vulnerable but also protective. There's a there's a there's a very very very fine line of being vulnerable where you're not protecting yourself. That is not what I want. So I want to I want to be open and available to this new life that I have in this new life partner. But I also want to make sure that I'm protecting myself because I never did that before. So that's really important. And then having a family for my family has been always what I've wanted for my entire life.
Speaker 1: Well, it's coming to enjoy the time there, enjoy the time that you're having right now being single. It's not going to last forever. I can promise you that. And now you're out of here because I want to to Pascal.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: All right you guys wasn't present?
Speaker 3: Why were you not?
Speaker 1: Were you not present?
Speaker 3: All right, girl?
Speaker 2: Thank you, I love you.