Speaker 1: Hey, guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com. Hello everybody, we are officially done with the first Joint Address slash State of the Union. According to our research, if it was a State of the Union, which can we all agree to it.
Speaker 1: Is, it would be the longest State of the Union.
Speaker 3: Ever delivered by an American president, beating significantly President Clinton's record in the year of two thousand, which was an hour and twenty eight minutes. This one, by my rough back of the Napkin math, is roughly around an hour and forty three And yeah, it was long.
Speaker 1: It was long.
Speaker 4: Could have used an edit.
Speaker 1: Could have used a few more kind of reminded.
Speaker 3: Remember, God, I'm trying to think of the first one of the first ones we covered here where Biden was just like literally a laundry list.
Speaker 1: I think we were all watching.
Speaker 4: It's very common.
Speaker 1: It's very common.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's not constituencies, they got to check the box on whatever.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it needed a good edit.
Speaker 1: It was long.
Speaker 3: It was long, and so that's we're trying to call some of the best takeaways for all of you.
Speaker 1: I would say the biggest one was no new.
Speaker 3: Policy announcement on Ukraine, but there were some significant domestic policy events that are that definitely bear registration. But the thing is is that we should probably start with the Democratic protest by Congressman Al Green, who opened the remarks. There was some initial booing that was happening from the Democratic side. Congressman Green was standing for the duration of the first couple of minutes before he was kicked out. Anyone want to saying anything before we before.
Speaker 2: We make people subject people to more clips from this very long we just it just gets on top of the like sure top of mind thoughts. I mean to me, the big takeaways were the actually lack of new policy specifics with regard to tariffs in Ukraine in particular, where I think, you know, that's certainly where we perked up and we're listening like, is you going to.
Speaker 4: Say, are the terriffs on? Are the tariffs off?
Speaker 2: Still don't know, which I think probably indicates that the signaling that they might be rolled back could be the case, because he certainly wasn't touting the Canada in Mexico twenty five percent across the board. He was focusing on, Oh we did this with China with steel. Oh we're looking we're doing these reciprocal tariffs April, second, April, second down the road. He mentioned Canada and Mexico, but he did not specifically tout the terrorifts that just went into effect, which you know, if I'm reading in between the lines, I feel like, Okay, well, that's probably an indication that it is Lutnik was right. They are probably rolling back or diminished to something.
Speaker 4: Ukraine. I kind of feel the same way.
Speaker 2: You know, he talked about the letter that he got from Zelensky that we talked about earlier that is already public. He talked about the desire to make a deal, and you know, moving forward, So I think probably the reporting about them continuing to work on this rare semnial deal is also probably let's too accurate. I mean, it seems like based on what he's saying, but he did not confirm any of those pieces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is actually kind of surprising that there was no new major initiative either on the tariffs on Ukraine, especially because they were hyping that from news level. A lot of the speech was basically messaging, So I was clocking the time, so statistically most people turn off around ten pm. Just they watched the first like thirty to forty five minutes. Yeah, the first thirty forty five minutes. So this is basically just a campaign speech. It was like we won the election, historic landslide mandate. That's with the Algreen protests and all of that happened. There was a lot of culture war stuff there during that time period, a lot of DEI trans CRT basically all the greatest hits uh from Trump. We eventually then started to get to the economy, doge and social security, and we're going to play some of that for you, But any other thoughts.
Speaker 1: One of you guys gives your Mirror summary too before we play, at least on the tariffs.
Speaker 5: On the tariffs front, at least he described why he was going to do them, Like with with the Canada and Mexico ones. He's just been telling us they've been ripping us off and we subsidized Canada. And that's quite light on those though. He went back to the old school. We're going to if you're not a if you don't have steel, you don't have a country. We're going to make steel, right, and so we're going to do these targeted tariffs on steel and like aluminum, like so at least like there was some like ethos behind it, like back to the Oh, that's that's the thing about tariffs. You're trying to actually build up industry inside the country rather than we've been suffering through this like fiction about these these tariffs being fentanyl related.
Speaker 2: I mean, heyl there too, the minuscules.
Speaker 1: I can either agree with it or disagree with it.
Speaker 4: That's you know.
Speaker 6: I think we've spent almost a decade now always potentially anticipating I don't mean we so much, I mean the media more broadly, some new version of Donald Trump, like he doesn't have to run for re election now. He felt like he was coasting on these high approval ratings as his administration started.
Speaker 7: He's got Elon Musk by his side.
Speaker 6: And what he did was give a very like classic Trump, rambling, riffing, very partisan. He ribbed Pocahontas in front of her face like Elizabeth Warren. He called her Pocahontas during this media.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what she must have done something something about the war, like hold something up, Like I'm saying.
Speaker 1: What was this?
Speaker 2: The only I saw her like scrolling on her phone at one point. But I didn't even make her like participating in the protest whatever. But I mean, I don't know that she necessarily had to do it. He just has like animistic He just you know, whatever.
Speaker 7: It's a thing he doesn't changed, I think change on.
Speaker 4: Yes and no.
Speaker 2: The style of the speech, yes, typical Trump, you know, going through his greatest hits in terms of his grand election victory, and you know, calling Democrats out to their fail like you would never clap for me, no matter what, you know, putting them on.
Speaker 1: Flats like that.
Speaker 2: It's so said, no mater, how I did what I did, it wouldn't be enough for you people. And then you know, at the end of course, he's got to. He goes back to retell the story of the assassination attempt and how he was saved by God to save the country, which makes me very uncomfortable when people start putting themselves in those sort of messianic terms.
Speaker 4: But you know, again classic Trump up.
Speaker 2: But you know, on the like on the economic policy front, as I'm just listening to the actual policies, like this is a freaking Paul Ryan speech, Like we're talking about deregulation, we're talking about social security, we're talking about tax cuts. I mean, it was very I was like, this is a coke network policy agenda.
Speaker 1: You have a with tariffs?
Speaker 2: He did, Yeah, that got but again that he's like, I mean, we're not even clear on what that is. But the piece that he frontloaded with was all the just like standard conventional Republican stuff that he ran so hard against and positioned himself so hard against back in twenty fifteen. Now we all know the record of the actual Trump administration the first time around, where their biggest accomplishment was a giant tax cut for the rich.
Speaker 4: But to me, that combined with he.
Speaker 2: Was you know, trying to get applause lines on oh we're going to get rid of the budget deficit, and then reading down the list of all the wasteful government programs like the transgender mice, you know, all of those things, like that's Fox. I used to do a lot of Fox News hits back in the you know, post to.
Speaker 4: Like twenty eleven time frame.
Speaker 7: That was the spot.
Speaker 4: And yeah, it was every day.
Speaker 2: It was like, oh my god, they spent ten dollars per month in at this conference.
Speaker 1: Or they're always very love it was all.
Speaker 2: And so I'm like, oh, this is such a throwback to the Paul Ryan talking points, just delivered through a Trump you know Trumpian pinas.
Speaker 5: All that chaos and all we get is like different lies about social security.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's out.
Speaker 5: There saying that like one hundred and sixty year olds are getting solid security.
Speaker 2: And it's like even Fox News actually debunks that talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say let's say that commentary. So do you want to just do the social skillity, Go.
Speaker 2: Ahead and cueue up social security. Let me see what number number five? Number five guys, if you can cueue this up where he starts talking about social security and he's reiterating the lies that Elon spread about the you know, people who are supposedly three hundred years old or whatever and still getting so scary. We know none of this is true, but it doesn't matter. It's still in the present speech. If we've got that, let's go ahead and roll it.
Speaker 8: We're also identifying shocking levels of incompetence and probable fraud in the Social Security program for our seniors, and that areur seniors and people that we love rely on. Believe it or not, Government databases list four point seven million Social Security members from people aged one hundred to one hundred nine years old.
Speaker 2: I mean, make no mistake when you're setting up. And this is why it was significant.
Speaker 4: That Trump brought it up.
Speaker 2: When you were bringing this up, you were creating a pretext to cut the program, and again totally counter to the way Trump has always positioned himself. And he'll use this, these lies about alleged fraud to justify the cuts. And we already see, you know, dogs gutting the Social Security administration is actually a warning from Martin Malley, who was previously Social Security Administrator, that it cannot the system cannot handle that level of cuts, and that people should start saving their money in anticipation that the program could face disruption just from not.
Speaker 4: Having a enough staff the hotline.
Speaker 2: You know, people who answer the hotlines are being cut offices across the country are being cut. So to me, when the word social security came out of his mouth in the context of like, oh, there's all this giant fraud et cetera, et cetera, that is a huge indication of direction.
Speaker 3: That was the most important political moment of the speech to me. I think I said that to you guys at the time. I was like, that is very important. Not only is it Donald Trump endorsing the elon strategy around that, but he's taking ownership of what is very likely to be extremely unpopular. And this gets to the way that this will all happen. So it's very unlikely to see a top line across the board cut of Social Security right pass by the Congress and the next tax bill, even in terms of entitlement reform or whatever. But there may be at least elements to chip away at the program or at the very least like reduced successibility now currently regardless, I mean, you've got your hand basically right there on the rail the most potent political weapon. I mean, I remember being with the four of you guys talking when Biden had that problem where he's like hey, He's like, okay, we're all agreeing, we're not going to cut Social Security. So the problem that they have is even if they pursue no cuts, is that even tampering with the program is going to have tremendous blowback from a lot of people. But last thing on this, they may be able to get around it because they also said during the speech the no tax on Social Security, which we all won't know, will be extremely popular with a lot of seniors. I mean how much I'm thinking if you're one hundred percent reliant on Social Security, like that's what probably what almost ten fifteen to twenty five percent of your income that's going back to tax. I've said before, I think it's crazy, Like why does the government give you money if just to take it back? It actually is very inefficient.
Speaker 5: The Reagan Compromise brought that in, which is what to have income tax on social It didn't used to be taxed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes no sense.
Speaker 3: It's like, why would you give you a lump sum of money and then take a portion of it back and expect you to file it and then we'll take it back forty five days later.
Speaker 1: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: If there's only one interesting thing other than everything you guys have said that I noticed on this point is his line about social security as he started this conversation. He is slightly new framing from the old Republican talking point. He says, we are also identifying shocking levels of incompetence and probable fraud in the social security program our seniors rely on, which is interesting because Republicans used to just demonize social Security, and in this he's trying to frame it as saying, I'm saving our seniors from the fraud that is dragging down social security. To Ryan's point about you're just dressing up the same old talking points about social security in different language, that's basically the best example of it. He's saying, we're doing all of this tea party talking points or all this tea party rhetoric if you tweak it to say we're doing this to save the program.
Speaker 5: Paul Ryan two was saying he was going to save social security. Yes, by privatizy.
Speaker 1: He was like, We're going to raise a retirement agent.
Speaker 2: But the idea the way it's always framed, Oh my god, this is going that I care so much about is going bankrupt and we have to save it.
Speaker 4: Like that's the way it's always Frank trying to.
Speaker 5: End since the nineteen thirties, Right, we really loved so much.
Speaker 2: But we're just really interested in the best interest of this program. That's what these cuts are all about. So, but it is a little bit of a twist.
Speaker 4: On that, but it's not that far from the way that it was portrayed in the Paul Ryan era.
Speaker 7: But it's not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's the thing, Like overall, it did sound like twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Look so at this point, anyone who's surprised by that, Like, I don't know what it was Like we had him for whole first time, didn't we Like where all of this went through.
Speaker 1: He said he won't touch security, Medicare. He probably won't at the top.
Speaker 3: Line in the way that Paul Ryan and all those other folks will this chipping away and all of that, Like I don't, I don't. I'm not yet sure how far they're going to go or if they're really that stupid, Like are you really so stupid that you would actually acts what's seventy five percent of the SSA offices or privatize it or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like, good luck. See how it happened to George W.
Speaker 6: Bush in a project two thousand and five, a project led by two billionaires.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: I mean the optive optics of it would be insane, especially if it happened at the very same time that you passed a massive tax cut and extension for the rich, which.
Speaker 1: They are all on record they're going to do it, Like.
Speaker 3: The only question is if they also include the no tax on tips. I will say I do think that the tips and social security thing could potentially I wouldn't say it saved them, but make it more of a wash than the last time. Twenty seventeen was just so naked in terms of what the actual policy was. But the tips thing, I mean, we all know it's gonna be very popular and they're going to message the hell out of it. And same with the no tax on social security. I could see that being like some sort of counter valance and all that. But I mean, look, they're.
Speaker 1: Playing with fire. They're playing with the same fire they're playing with under Rick Scott. Like it just never ends. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: There's also no guarantees that those policies make it in. I mean, it's not spell down in the Republican budget and actually.
Speaker 1: The yeah, they don't want to do it.
Speaker 2: The numbers as they exist, you know, and what they have said that they're working with in terms of the amount that they've allocated for tax cuts would not be sufficient to include no tax on tips and no tax on we know, the four trillion dollar tax cut, like that part is locked in the rest of it. And then you also have to throw in there the salt tax situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got to go to twenty percent.
Speaker 2: For them as well, and that's yeah, that's expensive. So there's also just like no guarantee that any of that actually happens. And like I said, it was not actually in the Republican budget that passed the House that Trump had backed.
Speaker 3: The ideal is we all just stop all this fakery on the debt and we just include all those things. You know. It's like can actually put some of the good stuff in there at the very least. So we talked about social security, we should definitely talk about doze.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we've got number four guys, if you could queue that up.
Speaker 3: So Elon got a huge shout out from Donald Trump. Donald Trump may have slipped up a little bit here, though, because in this acknowledgment he not only acknowledges Elon, he actually says Elon is the head of Doze, which is the opposite of what his government is currently arguing in court. But nonetheless it was important because.
Speaker 4: Amy there to get her round of apply America.
Speaker 1: She's in South America.
Speaker 4: She's the one that playing.
Speaker 3: She's a She's a three hundred and twenty six year old woman in South America.
Speaker 1: Uh so Elon got a shout out.
Speaker 3: This was important just for I mean, look like Maga is now like equals Elon. And you really see this where Trump acknowledges him, he gets the entire Republican Party.
Speaker 1: The optics of this are.
Speaker 3: Wild who are on the floor of the House of Representatives to look up and to clap at Elon.
Speaker 1: As Elon stands. He did wear a suit.
Speaker 3: Though, so apparently the guy does O one number four guys, let's take a lesson, and.
Speaker 8: To that end, I have created the brand new Department of Government Efficiency Go perhaps you've.
Speaker 9: Heard of it, which is headed by Elon Musk, who's in the gallery tonight.
Speaker 3: So there you go not only huge Elon shout out, but then you know, subsequently talking about there was a good I would say, what do you guys think like five to seven.
Speaker 1: Minute period of just listing dose stuff.
Speaker 3: That's where the transmis thing comes from. So that I thought was pretty important just in terms of not only not backing away from Doge openly endorsing it, making Elon a central part of the state of the Union talking here about the social security So on the economic front, this is the one where they they don't yet seem to sense what they perceive, that they perceive any danger. I think the only sign of it maybe is on the egg price line that he did deliver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all I really saw, how he kind of opened the economic piece. But yeah, I was just trying to look back up the tweet. But Portnoy had tweeted something about like Trump had a line that was, you know, will no longer be ruled.
Speaker 4: By unelected bureaucrats?
Speaker 2: And port Nooy right, really was like, well, that's kind of a tough thing to make really, and Elon is out there running the entire government as co president, so that is ruled by unelected bureaucrats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why Dave's Matt is because there's a crypto recession right now and he's got shit coins, so he still needs to sell to that.
Speaker 4: He's working through.
Speaker 2: He's working through some things, but still interesting to see the Portnoy response there. I mean, listen, it's this is the most significant difference between Trump two point zero and Trump one point zero is elon And you know, you see it in the way that Trump has shifted his ideology.
Speaker 4: I mean always some.
Speaker 2: Of his populist rhetoric and approach was fakery, given the commitment to tax cuts for the rich.
Speaker 4: But the austerity.
Speaker 2: Framing, like spending all of these minutes going through these quote unquote wasteful programs which they frame us fraud and that always irritates me because it's really just like spending that you don't like. Ryan grim here is the one who has found the most fraud than anyone.
Speaker 1: I did not get credit from the podium was outrageous. I gave you credit. Were Trump right?
Speaker 4: They're the ones that found the four hundred million dollars the.
Speaker 2: Armored Tesla thing that actually was It looks like they like cook the books to be like, oh, we could slip this in and no one will notice wrong, Ryan Grim will notice. So I think Jeremy Scahill called it the Department of Grim Efficiency.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 3: That's a dosee I could get behind.
Speaker 5: Had four hundred million dollars armored Tesla's who needs an armored tesla?
Speaker 1: Losing action?
Speaker 2: You could have set electric vehicles and then it would be like, you know, very lip coded, get.
Speaker 3: Away with it, all right, We have the egg price, guys number three, can you queue that up?
Speaker 1: So this was an important line for Trump.
Speaker 3: It's kind of how it began the Economics Action, but it was an acknowledgment of being elected with a mandate on inflation and trying.
Speaker 1: To address it.
Speaker 3: So let's go ahead and put it up there on the screen and play it for everyone, just to give everyone a taste.
Speaker 10: Joe Biden especially, let the price of eggs get out of control. The egg price is out of control, and we're working hard to get it back down.
Speaker 8: Secretary, do a good job on that. You inherited a total mess from the previous administration.
Speaker 1: Do a good job, all right.
Speaker 3: So you can also see some of the Democrats that were leaving there with the resist t shirts that were on.
Speaker 4: I think that was. I think that was Jasmine Crockett.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was. Do we want to clount on some of the Democrats? What do you think, Well, me, let.
Speaker 4: Me climb on the egg thing.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just, I mean, hard to really make this case on a day when you announced twenty five percent across the board terrace Canada and Mexico. And he has said that he does not really think that inflation is the reason that people voted for him, and that has certainly been reflective in the lack of any sort of an approach to dealing with inflation. And so to me, it was really noteworthy that this was kind of the first he did a bunch of culture war stuff and a lot of like patting himself on the back for an election victory and trying to own the Libs and the Dems whatever, and then the first economic.
Speaker 4: Piece he gets to is eggs.
Speaker 2: So it did indicate to me like, Okay, the administration, whoever wrote this speech and Trump himself feel like they've got a bit of a problem here.
Speaker 4: And the pulse have reflected that if you ask people, do you feel like they.
Speaker 2: Are doing enough on prices, pretty overwhelming when people are like no, I do not feel like they're doing enough on prices, and that is one of the political challenges and warning signs for them. Also, as we played in that Harry Entin sat before we got into this, you know, his numbers, his economic numbers in terms of the approval of his handling of the economy are low, and that's always been a strong suit for him.
Speaker 4: So I do feel like they were.
Speaker 2: Trying to play a little bit of cleanup on the egg prices thing, you know, blame it on Biden, say well, I promise we're working really hard on it, et cetera.
Speaker 4: And that was noteworthy to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could work for now, Like I said, you know, you have a little bit of runway, but after two three.
Speaker 1: Months, like you know, the runways, the runway is going to be over.
Speaker 3: Especially if they feel all this doze stuff. This is my greatest I mean, I still can't get away from this. It's almost fifty days in to the Trump administration, almost halfway of the first one hundred days. The most consequential part and what it's just been doge elon Like there's been almost nothing else.
Speaker 1: I haven't even seen deportation take Matt.
Speaker 3: You know, like that I saw I think it was Joe Wisenthal said that he's like the only thing that's really surprised me other than Doge is the fact that deportation has not taken such a center stage like they've had Tom Homan on, They've had a few like high.
Speaker 1: Profiles out there. Whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack, they're trying to you know, I was watching Fox News at home, not by choice because the whole Ukraine thing. I was trying to watch it live, and I got an ad from Kirsty No telling I legal immigrants to go home.
Speaker 1: Like are they watching Fox News?
Speaker 4: There's some ways that they That's as.
Speaker 1: I was shocked by it. I was like, this is like the most inicient views of money.
Speaker 3: These are a bunch of like seventy year old white boomers who are watching this right now daytime Fox as well.
Speaker 5: So anyway, he did the Guantanamo things because it's a spectacle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was just a number he needs.
Speaker 3: But that's my point on that is that even with that, I mean, as far as I know all of that, it hasn't been like a particularly large number.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: They haven't necessarily been prioritizing criminals as opposed to like just whoever they happen to round up. There's never been any like transparency around it. They haven't released the daily figures the way that they have. Instead, they're trying to make these flash like spectacle things like you guys are saying, but like empirically, I mean, you can just look at the number and you can say this is not impressive whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, you know, give credit where due.
Speaker 3: I guess on the border crossings, but that's not the same thing as opposed to kind of what was promised. So if you look at you know, on the inflation and the immigration point where there's two things, I would say he's probably the most responsible for getting him elected. You have not seen the vast majority of the energy getting focused on that he is hoping. And this speech really did crystallize a lot of like the Trump victory to me is look, I mean, he if you listen to the first forty five minutes of this, which statistically most people are watching, what was it was culture war all day long?
Speaker 1: Right, he believed it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't just bad it was, but it was that it was that, but it was like trans it was the greatest hits, like of all the Republican culture with.
Speaker 1: Our country important, woke, Our country will be woke.
Speaker 2: Free speech is back on a day that you know, when they're announcing their requires people actually read.
Speaker 6: He went on vaccines as well, like this was a lot of culture we're talking points.
Speaker 7: He was actually talking about how I can pull this up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Bobby Kennedy is looking into Bobby Kennedy is looking into.
Speaker 1: We should look at he said.
Speaker 7: This is the quote he said we have.
Speaker 1: He's not at the end, but there was much later on.
Speaker 7: Right, But it's like the culture war thing.
Speaker 6: He said, since nineteen seventy five, rates of child cancer have increased more than forty percent. Reversing this trend as one of the top priorities of our new presidential Commission to Make America Healthy Again, Chared Bran, new Secretary of HHS RFK Junior. Our goals to get ToxS inst out of our environment, poisons out of our foods, supplying keep our children healthy and strong. As an example, not long ago, one in ten thousand children had autism.
Speaker 7: Now it's one in thirty.
Speaker 2: So the first part of that makes me so irritated, because, first of all, obviously they just cut a bunch of funding for research, including into you know, cancer, and in addition, they have spent the first period in office rolling back some of the restrictions on chemicals like pfasts.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's just so I don't know.
Speaker 6: Me, it's just so he ended that section of a speech by saying something is wrong and we're going to find out what it is.
Speaker 1: So I mean, something is wrong. It's true.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, of that is.
Speaker 1: RK.
Speaker 7: Junior is looking into the vaccines. I don't idea.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I if you want it that, if you want that, you could take that from it.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I didn't see it was necessarily. I mean, he was obviously signaling it if he.
Speaker 3: Like for the people who want to hear that, but it's also like on an empirical basis when people hear that those I'm not against.
Speaker 1: That, right, but it's me. It's my point around it all was.
Speaker 3: I was like, he believes that that is the most important reason why you want to me.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 3: There's no other reason why you would start forty five minutes of your speech off this way.
Speaker 1: It's obvious.
Speaker 3: So he thinks that this alone is going to be enough to coast him. And by the way, I think he could be right.
Speaker 11: I mean, there's a huge you know, the whole Maga universe online and all this, all the transgender like the woman who's standing up, who was hit by a woman by the.
Speaker 1: Volleyball thing like that.
Speaker 3: You know, that's what they live for, right, Like that's that's the reason Ben Shapiro and Matt Walshalls are in the audience.
Speaker 6: But it's it's also to get a contrast with Democrats not applauding those lines. It's very intentional, and that's I think it's powerful.
Speaker 4: With Peyton mcnat I read it a little different. You won't be surprised to hear.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, it's the exact thing that Democrats do when they want to cover for their lack of agenda that delivers for working class people. They fix it on identity and cultural issues. And it's the same shit. It's just from Trump. This is you know, they like, people aren't happy with how the economy is going. They feel that it's getting worse and it already wasn't great. The you know, obviously today the stock market fell off a cliff and you've got, as we were saying before, the super sentiment can super spending down, and there's warnings in.
Speaker 4: The manufacturing sector.
Speaker 2: You've got this warning from the Atlanta Fed like people are not satisfied with that direction. And he really isn't offering anything in the near term that you can point to. I mean maybe no tax on tips, maybe, but so instead, ed, what do you do You usher in an agenda that's been really good for people like Elon Musk and other oligarchs by saying, oh.
Speaker 4: This is about DEI this is about woke. Woke is over. Don't you feel great?
Speaker 2: So that's how I read the reason why it was front loaded with culture war, the same reason that you know that Democrats who weren't delivering for working class people also would be in the culture war.
Speaker 1: I'm not disagreeing with the word you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I do think it's still obviously very politically powerful. Unfortunately, this is the hold that Trump has. Oh yeah, guys, please remind me on a future show. A listener of our show who works for the DoD who voted for Trump sent me a very long email about why he voted for Republicans even though he works within the d D and his reasoning. It reminds me of all this because it was for cultural war reasons, specifically talking about Pepjoes whatever. If you recall I made that comment, I was like, I don't I was like, anyone who voted for the federal voted for Trump, and he worked for the federal government.
Speaker 1: I was like, I don't really know what to tell you.
Speaker 3: I was like, you're kind of an idiot if you didn't think that something like this was going to happen to me. He sent me a very long justification for why he did it. I actually think it bears discussion with all of us. But that's a tease for the futures.
Speaker 4: Her. Now he's still like, yeah, I did the right then, No, he does not regret it.
Speaker 1: He's voted for Trump for three times.
Speaker 3: He voted for Trump because Democrats could not define what a woman is. But he is upset about the doche cuts and in the in the logic of the email, it really hit home for me why I still think that this is very politically, very politically strong.
Speaker 1: Territory for Trump. Now how long he can ride on it. I have no idea. Right, we'll be America.
Speaker 3: They'll give you the runway, and this will you know, this will keep people feeling as if things are very different. It's still you know, only a month or so into the new administration, but how long until it gets old? And that's when I think it starts to become from And.
Speaker 6: This is what I don't think Republicans are doing this on purpose, but I do think one of the big lessons for Democrats should be that if you're asked to choose between Trump and Republicans, red meat, culture warfare and Democrats, for many voters, Republicans still come out on top, even if they don't like the way that Donald Trump talks. Yeah, yeah, exactly. And so that's where I know we're going to talk about al Green. We teased it a little bit earlier and the like resist t shirt walk out the paddle signs that looked like, as some people were joking, fogo to chow can bring me my meat signs.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: And so again for a lot of voters that Democrats are like, it's I get it.
Speaker 7: Like Trump.
Speaker 6: Trump went for an hour and forty minutes an extremely partisan speech and said some wild stuff and called the senator Pocahontas to her face.
Speaker 7: But then they look at the Democrats, They're like you guys deserve it.
Speaker 3: So let's start with the Al Green thing. That what is that number one? So this was the first Democratic protest. I thought there were going to be a lot more. Actually I was surprised that there won't again.
Speaker 1: A rock star. Yeah, they got to a very start and then became extremely lame.
Speaker 3: So Al Green here being escorted out of the House chamber.
Speaker 1: He was shaking, literally shaking his cane.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump, not since Charles Sumner, right right, Ryan, Not since Charles Sumner is a cane so loudly been felt on the floor of the United States Congress.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 12: Finding that members continue to engage in willful and concert the disruption or proper decorum, the Chair now directs the Sergeant at Arms to restore order, remove this gentleman from the chamber.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was Al Green, congressman getting escorted out.
Speaker 3: He said he was shouting at him he have no mandate to cut medicaid.
Speaker 1: Let's also put a number. Apparently that's what he that's what he claims kicks out.
Speaker 3: Apparently people only heard you have no mandate. Let's go to the number two. Please the screenshot. Can you guys put that up while I talk. This is the one that's going pretty viral from what people are saying, it's lame. Some of the what are the like placards being piled up, signs.
Speaker 1: Small signs, small round bingo like signs.
Speaker 3: Being held up by Democrats include musk stels, that's a lie, that's from Rashida to leave, she's a whiteboard, false false, musk steels, save medicaid, musk steels some false and that going.
Speaker 7: They should have all said save medicaid.
Speaker 3: Seriously, Yeah, I agree, I was like, save medicaid. That is probably the most powerful one. You Crystal scent to this from the Daily Show. Fun fact, Democrats are wearing pink tonight as a symbolic protest against people who want them to do something meaningful. So that's pretty damn Yeah.
Speaker 7: So personal.
Speaker 2: I mean, clearly like they are getting the message that people want them to do more, but they just have no idea what that actually looks like.
Speaker 4: I will say I thought.
Speaker 2: Rocanna and Tim Walls had a really good idea, which is all these Republicans are like, oh, we're not going to do town halls anymore, and they're like, okay, well come your district, new town. You know, that's smart, and I think we'll play really well and you know, put pressure on Republicans like, ah shit, this guy's doing a town all my district. I guess I need to show up, or at least it's sort of shameful to them to not show up. Bernie Sanders obviously, he's also I think, delivering a response along with Alyssa's luck in.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's speaking right now, she's speaking right now.
Speaker 1: I'm monitoring the quote.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the deep stat is responding Alyssa's sludge.
Speaker 3: Currently says Reagan is rolling in his grave afirmatively talking about Reagan.
Speaker 1: Let's see what else here.
Speaker 2: But I also think, you know, the Bernie Sanders oligarchy tour going to specifically swing Republican districts where you know, the Republican House they need every single vote to be able to do anything, and so he's recognized that as a pressure point. I think that's also very intelligent. But yeah, I mean these things just read is like sort of.
Speaker 5: The only indication that Democrats would be getting the message would be if they said, you know what, Bernie, you'd do the response, yes, that would at least be surprising to people.
Speaker 3: So instead they picked a CIA spook from Michigan who actually says no guardrails on what they do. We need more efficient government. You want to cut waste, I'll help you do it. But does but change doesn't need to be chaotic or make us less safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean she's one of the ones that she's voted for a bunch of Trump pets. She voted for the Lake and Riley act, Like you know, she's that's who she is. And it also speaks to okay, not just would it indicate they're getting it from a sort of like policy perspective if they had Bernie Sanders respond.
Speaker 4: But people would actually watch right now.
Speaker 2: Bernie is racking up there, it would go viral millions of.
Speaker 4: Views on everything he does.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is an absolute TikTok sensation, and these town halls were getting insane views like everything he says and does is going viral.
Speaker 4: So why wouldn't you be like, maybe that guy.
Speaker 2: Should be the one or row you know, or row or listen the whole thing about giving the oversight ranking Committee member to Jerry Connolly instead of AGOC, Like what are you thinking? One of these people knows how to communicate and understands the attention economy and is on it and understands the online like attention ecosystem.
Speaker 4: But the other one earned it, Crystal, and the other one he's been waiting this.
Speaker 7: You know, it's in line follow.
Speaker 4: It's just total total insanity.
Speaker 3: If the Dems get a tea party, how big was a tea party blowout in twenty ten?
Speaker 4: It was like they've picked up like sixty.
Speaker 1: Jenuine.
Speaker 4: I want to say something.
Speaker 3: If that happened to the Dems, would that happen like the Jerry Connolly stuff still happened, and would Hakeem like get to keep his seat?
Speaker 1: Ca Yeah, b.
Speaker 3: Who the Democrats if they get a Republican style tea party blowout when in the House of Representatives and Democrats, Democrats take control, definitely.
Speaker 5: I mean the Keems.
Speaker 1: So you think he'll stay even though they don't like him. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It depends on.
Speaker 2: It's kind of depends on the kind of characters who win, and it depends on if that dem tea party also consists of not just winning in Republican seats but primary people that they're you.
Speaker 4: Know, disgusting.
Speaker 2: And I've mentioned this before, but I went back and looked at the Tea Party era polling for Republican base voters how they felt about Republican congressional leaders, and it is very similar to the way that Democratic voters feel right now about democratic leadership. Democratic leaders are underwater by like nine points in the last pole that we saw.
Speaker 4: This is so different from twenty sixty.
Speaker 2: You guys know poloc shift like they sell, Oh, these people are doing the thing we want.
Speaker 4: Them to do. These are our heroes, et cetera.
Speaker 2: It is not like that anymore. And so you know, if you had some of these people who have been the most disappointing getting primaried, and you have a more sort of like forceful radical group that comes in that doesn't owe their seats to the Party of Styles, then you could end up with some different dynamics. And I think the other thing that opens up that possibility is that liberals are also completely disenchanted with their media outlets, and so that creates a really different dynamic as well.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of IFFs here about how this will all.
Speaker 2: Go down, but I will say I think the indications are very much in the direction of you're probably going to have a blowout your blue waveyear for Democrats. Just you know, if you look at history and backlash to parties that have complete power, if you look at we're so early and there's already this level of sentiment and Republicans who are hiding and worried, and Elon is just doing his thing and they're going after Social Security and the economy is on the brink. I think you could be setting up quite a catastrophe for.
Speaker 1: The work could be.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could phase out because it's he party peaked in what oh nine, right around nine months in. That's when the t That's when the Obamacare stuff was really happened, and then it is special he was right there at the tail of nine into ten and then going into the midtermine.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess.
Speaker 6: I mean I would say maybe, honestly, I would put it through the Senate the what did Obama call it the route or whatever he said in twenty four lacking, Yeah, shellacking in twenty fourteen. I would I would extend it through that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, absolutely. I was just thinking in terms of timing. So if the Democratic whatever.
Speaker 7: Coffee oh, I say, ok.
Speaker 3: The Coffee Party peaks like thirty days in because Trump administration it could still you know, it could still like it could still actually phase out, or you know, who knows.
Speaker 5: So much depends on what Trump's policies due to the economy. I think, yeah, I think you're right, because you know, he could back off. He could say no, it's just kidding on these tariffs. Federal workers are allowed back in with a federal judge, and then he could say we're going to fire them all in September, and then he doesn't actually fire them in September because things are struggling then and you get a little downturn and then it comes back up. Or you could get this full on Trump thing where he's like, no, we're really true, we're doing some major transition. Like in his speech tonight, he's alluding to real difficulties ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said to the farmers, he said, there'll be they'll be a little bit of adjustment, but we're okay with that, which you know Elon also promised like hardship, temporary hardship.
Speaker 1: He's trying to do.
Speaker 5: He's trying to do a thing that politicians have done many times over the generations, bring people together in times of hardships that we collectively can then get to a better place. Except he also wants to do it while dismissing, attacking, and calling the other half the country a bunch of traders and losers. So FDR had you know, sixty plus seats in the Senate and sixty you know, and one massive mandate, so he could say, all right.
Speaker 4: We're all doing this, we're all doing.
Speaker 5: This together, we're rowing together, and it's just the bankers that are against us. Trump's like, we're all in this together, except like half the country, the universities, the doctors.
Speaker 13: Every federal every federal someone's got to that university, all the teachers, the capitol police, like, but everyone else, Yeah, we're in it.
Speaker 4: We're in it.
Speaker 5: So I don't know how you do both of those things, because he wants to do he wants to ask for shared sacrifice without sharing any common value.
Speaker 2: We're sharing the sacrifice among people like Elon Musk who are getting you know, just after Lusk wants.
Speaker 5: To be joyful about what he's doing to people, rather than like read people in and say this is why we're doing I.
Speaker 3: Think your point though about if they back off after a catastrophic three months or not even catastrophic bad three months I.
Speaker 1: Mean that's long enough time.
Speaker 3: You know, that's almost what several months to go to the midterms, and so you could at least see some sort of change. The problem is is that right now we have no indication that that's.
Speaker 1: Going to happen.
Speaker 3: Elon's getting a shout out, the State of the Union, those is getting you know, lists getting read off. You've got the Social Security fraud thing, and we're going a whole hog on the tariff. So it's like, okay, well that that's all we can really go off right now. Yeah, tax cut, that's the thing. The tax is a separate category. That's gonna happen. That's not changing at all. Oh, I see the other stuff might change at top.
Speaker 4: Of that, likely medicaid cuts, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and in the same way that social here actually do flub some Social Security checks, like all people.
Speaker 1: Will lose it. I agree with you. Yeah, and they should lose it. That's that's that's great.
Speaker 4: They're flirting with that. I mean, you're flirting with that.
Speaker 2: They're flirting with another plane crash that really can be laid.
Speaker 1: I left that out.
Speaker 3: You're exactly right, which is that if there's a major natural disaster, if there's a major hurricane after they've been cutting all these Noah things, and where they can't properly call a category four or a category five, and some.
Speaker 1: People, even if it's not their fault, doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Where they've gutted FEMA and they can't properly respond to which you know, responding to a natural disaster even with the best of government funding levels is difficult.
Speaker 4: You've got a potential shutdown coming up.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's just there's just disaster around every corner and an economy that's already starting to turn south. So I think, you know, it would take a lot at this point to recover from the trajectory that they've already set things on, and you know, to see Elon there.
Speaker 4: It's just this is the part that I.
Speaker 2: Could not have predicted, is how much of the presidency he would see to Elon like I just could not have seen that, nobody would have.
Speaker 3: And the thing is is it goes against everything that we know about Donald exactly. Why would he ever see I still don't understand it. Why would you ever seed so much? Could not control? What does Trump care about? Attention media? Every probably American at this point who's even tangentially aware of the Trump News could.
Speaker 1: Tell you about Elon could be a good thing, could be a bad thing. Why would you want that? Why would you want your presidency defined?
Speaker 3: Find this guy with fifteen kids and all this other baggage and weird shit that he does all the time.
Speaker 6: He's really tied his brand literally one of the most eccentric and polarizing people in the world, right and he could be having he could actually be having roughs vote like out there doing doge, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And it would it would not even be a headline. It would it would be first of all, we were done properly. Second of all, it would be done or verse like legally or you know, in terms of it would be it would be much more within the line of like traditional Washington process and they could fight it out and in the institutions and the norms like and I mean it seems to be. That seems why Vivek ultimately left Dose was really over a beef on something like this his white people tweet acide. But yeah, just putting it together, I mean, that's just the most shocking part about all of this is like he's playing the fire and I think that's the theme that I've I've really come away from this state of the Union. I think there was a ton of raid meat. If your maga, you'll love it. And of course you you're gonna love You're gonna love anything. The guy says, there's lots of culture war stuff and all that. But you know, for for us, like when we look at the dangers of natural disaster, social security, economic problems, and then just you know, chaotic nature, people feeling as if they are not in control, those are all very very dangerous places.
Speaker 2: I also, I also think that the amount of gutting of like white color police that they've done is a risk, is like gutting the CFPP and gutting the SEC enforcement. I mean, you've just got such like out right crop. You guys see the story about people paying a million or five million dollars to.
Speaker 3: Have five five million, five million dollars to have a one on one dinner.
Speaker 4: With which Trump, Yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Just he doesn't even need the money.
Speaker 7: It's it's for campaign, the coin, it's it's.
Speaker 1: It's to a campaign fund. And why do you need five million dollars for your campaign?
Speaker 2: I mean, you've got that, You've got the crypto dude who gave him, you know, seventy five million dollars into his mean coin, and then oh SEC dropped enforcement. And so when you put all of these together, it's like this is just like Elon and his billionaire buddies, like they're just robbing and plundering the government.
Speaker 4: I mean, the picture adds up. It's it does.
Speaker 2: Doesn't take a genius political messenger, even this lame ass Democratic Party can put those pieces together to say like this administration is about the rich. And but you know, to go back to the Trump and Elon point, like even just to see the spotlight of his State of the Union address for standing ovation to Elon, I don't think any of us could have anticipated that. And it really does ask some questions about like, what the hell is going on here? Does he care? Is there some sort of a deal? What has made it so that he is just really ceeded his previous ideological positioning to Elon and the most prominent, most public parts of his entire government administration to Elon. And you're to your point about immigration, like I'm glad he's not making good on this particular promises nice the same as job but are actually lower than Joe Biden and that was the part that you know, in terms of one of the promises to work in class people again, and I don't this isn't accurate in my view, and I don't think that a mass deportation would help. I think that would further hurt the economy. But that was like the prep pledge to working class people was that this is.
Speaker 4: The thing that's really going to help you.
Speaker 2: And because it's not a priority of Elon, it's the part that's actually not really getting done again. I'm glad about that, but it is noteworthy to me that the part that has been so central to Trump but is not really particularly priority to Elon outside of him currying favor with MAGA, that part has kind of fallen, by.
Speaker 3: The way, right on top of the Golden visa thing, which is like a Silicon Valley wet dream where they get to just buy their citizenship in.
Speaker 4: H one B, which he sided with Elon or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he even mentioned that in this he's actually trying to fuse Golden Visa with He's trying to.
Speaker 1: Fuse Golden visa with the H one B program. If you heard there, it's like at any of these.
Speaker 3: Universities, Facebook can pay five million dollars.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Facebook gonna pay five million dollars for a coder. Okay, well the whole point the h one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, yeah, that's like that made you think me. All right, we've been talking for long enough. You guys got any last things he wants to say?
Speaker 6: Actually, all I was going to say is and Democrats were sitting there with their stupid paddle signs, and so, I mean, I don't disagree with everything that we've all said. I just think the big takeaway, to the extent that Americans pay attention to this, I think Donald Trump successfully baited Democrats into a complete public relations disaster for themselves.
Speaker 1: Yea, I wouldn't say it's a disaster. I don't know. I think I disagree on that.
Speaker 7: Cool Wallas is already saying that little kid DJ.
Speaker 6: It was like the highlight human Republicans, Democrats all find a good human story in every state of the Union.
Speaker 7: This was the one from that. He's already saying.
Speaker 6: Nicole Wallace, she's already out on the MSNBC airway of saying, I hope he has a long life as a law enforcement officer, but I hope he never has to defend the United States Capitol against Donald Trump supporters, and if he does, I hope he has one of the sex who loses his life to suicide.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just you know, it's like, I don't disagree that it's cringed, but I wouldn't call it a relations.
Speaker 2: They're not I mean, their memes are, They're not the center of the evening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think it was so bad that those I think those I think those optics were so bad with them with the paddle signs, they're just like perfect meme fodder.
Speaker 7: I think that was so so bad. That idea was so bad.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Al Green waving the.
Speaker 6: Cane and the paddle signs. I think it was so bad that it will a lot of people will see that.
Speaker 1: I think you could be right. I see a lot of right wing like, oh, they didn't even clap for this. Is that's people really like? And also it was one hundred minute speech. It is long. Yeah, I don't think anything.
Speaker 2: Here's one other thing that I that I would point to, Emily is I was looking at the some of the pulling around this and the approval rating of like Democrats and the Democratic Party and Congressional Democrats is in the tank. Yes, And yet when you ask people who do you prefer on a generic congresstional ballot Democrats, I'm the latest one was by five, which is significant. Yeah, which is going to I mean, listen, you take them with a gardenissal whatever.
Speaker 4: But you shouldn't look.
Speaker 2: At the fact that their approval, Like when people are like do you like these people are like no, but you like them better than these other people? They are like yeah, kind you know, because and that's that is a natural ebb and flow to politics. But also Republicans are truly enacting an agenda, and Trump in particular that is polls that is really unpopular. I mean, the Greenland stuff is unpopular, Gaza is unpopular. The even the Gulf of America thing, which I thought people might eat up, even that's unpopular, right, a lot of these pieces, and Doge is unpopular, and Elon's unpopular, and cutting social security and cutting medicaid and getting taxes were like, all of these things are really really unpopular. And so when you put that together and it's like, hey, do you want.
Speaker 4: Maybe a check on that? Even if these people are kind of lame.
Speaker 2: They're like, yeah, probably not to mention, Democrats have the benefit now of the co that previously used to benefit Republicans and mintterms, which is their people freaking show up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's true the midterm election.
Speaker 4: That matters a lot.
Speaker 2: So that's why I listen luck and at between now and blah blah blah, caveats, et cetera. But I would I think we're probably headed in the direction of a major political direction, even if the Democrats trying to.
Speaker 5: Be freaking Like, if Trump does blow things up, then people remember, oh yeah, they shook the cane at them.
Speaker 2: They didn't like what they were right about with those paddles.
Speaker 4: They were right, they were dated.
Speaker 6: I generally think that says don't make a big difference.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't don't.
Speaker 6: I shouldn't preface it with that anyway, in terms of like electoral outcomes, they don't.
Speaker 3: Although again I don't know why people love the State of the Union like people watch it. It's always the only political event in the top one hundred newscat or broadcast in the argophy.
Speaker 4: Really honestly, it's born.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, people people like us who watched public like the debates are way more important, you know, stuff like that, the debate fun.
Speaker 4: There's even just a regular old Trump presser.
Speaker 1: Like a lot more Oh yeah, there's way more ship.
Speaker 4: A lot more ris actually going to happen.
Speaker 5: People like the show, So what ation for this being a country rights aspiration?
Speaker 4: This being a real country like this is serious? Tune in and here we are.
Speaker 1: I should take my scolding away. Everyone should keep.
Speaker 3: Watching if nonetheless, just because we always covered it is a fun It's a fun thing that.
Speaker 1: We enjoy doing here. It's an annual tradition.
Speaker 3: Ryan and I will be doing a special show for everybody tomorrow that will be dropping somewhere around midday, and then Crystal I will be back for a normal show on Thursday, so we will see you guys.
Speaker 1: We're also going to have.
Speaker 5: By the way, Adam ham away very briefly. He was Bonnie Watson Coleman's guest at the State of the Union.
Speaker 1: She'll join as well. She's a Democrat for New Jersey.
Speaker 5: He's the doctor who who saved Tammy Duckworth's life and.
Speaker 1: Was stuck in Gaza.
Speaker 5: So he was in the audience. I'll see what he see what he thought about that awesome before where you get on.
Speaker 2: A lot on the Middle East, looking forward to it really yeah zero.
Speaker 1: Just the hostage was.
Speaker 4: That he's tirelessly working.
Speaker 3: Yeah, working, tireless working, tires working tirelessly. We need to retire that one from one all right, We'll see you guys later