Speaker 1: Trade grades. We need them. Front Office Unfiltered.
Speaker 2: Our professor and resident GM, Jim Bowden, who was hustling yesterday. Good to see you, jab and you look refreshed after a crazy day of trades. So let's get right into this and we're going to show a board. We'll show three. As we're talking through this, you split it up with buyers buyer sellers. So that's its own little, unique, crazy category that only has two teams and then sellers. So let's start with the good stuff, the teams that went in the buyers from A to I see a D plus on here.
Speaker 1: What do you have for us?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So, I mean obviously it starts with the Los Angeles Dodgers. They get an A plus. You went and got the best picture in the American League that's won two Cy Young Awards. You were able to consummate the deal with forty eight hours to go before the trade deadline. You didn't have to throw in the fourth prospect, and you did what the Dodgers do. They are the model franchise for any sport on planet Earth. San Diego Padres aj Preller. He won the trade deadline a year ago when he went and got Mason Miller at the deadline and he decided he wanted to win it again. He gets a straight A, and it reminds me of Raiders Are the Lost Ark in that scene where the villains pulls out that sword and he starts.
Speaker 3: To twirl it around and starts.
Speaker 4: To threaten for fifteen minutes and then Harrison Ford sits there and he pulls up their revolve and just shoots him. That's what aj did. Didn't make a single move until Monday. He waited at the end of the day. Here's Casey Mice, Here's Robbie Ray. Here comes a wild card birth Arizona. Goodbye, Hope you enjoyed second place. I'm about to go past you. They get an A. A couple others that got in the A minus range, the Red Sox obviously, Ally Rutchmand Curtis Mead, Eric Miller loved all three pickups for them.
Speaker 3: Great job by Craig Breslow.
Speaker 4: People are gonna keep playing because he overpaid and maybe you know, he lose some trades, but he made his franchise better. He gave his team a better chance of winning. That's what the job is. It's not the win. Trade is to win championships. It's not to hold on to prospects, it's to have parades.
Speaker 3: Chicago Cubs gave them an A minus.
Speaker 4: Great job by Jed Hoyer. Pitching was the biggest issue in catching Milwaukee. Enter Kevin Gosman, Enter Clay Holmes, enter Ryan's ever got John and Boom all of a sudden, you did that, You get a fourth outfield and Tyrone Taylor. I thought those four teams separated themselves as buyers, did the best job, and they did what they were supposed to do, improving their chances of getting the playoffs or winning a division or winning a championship.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: Okay, so some good a's on the board. Let's take a pause for a second here.
Speaker 1: Do you have.
Speaker 5: First of all, Jim, do you like movies about gladiators?
Speaker 4: Not in particular, but that particular scene I loved because in life I see so many people that do all this talking and yapping and throwing all these opinions, and then the quiet guy in the room just pulls the trigger and beat you.
Speaker 5: And I exactly right, exactly, so you're right. So let me let me ask you this about this. And by the way, Jim, when you said that it's about having parades. We have gotten more hate. I guess by saying yesterday that a lot of people are like, oh, we don't want to go all in, especially a certain team just north of Chicago. We don't want to go all in because we're competitive every year and we make the playoffs every year, and we lose in the first round every year. But we don't want to win. We just want to win lose in the first round because we make the playoffs every year. Jim, So, I don't understand that feeling from a fan because I will lose for five years if it gets me a World Series the next year. I will give up everyone if it gets me that one parade. I have a different thing, maybe because I'm competitive, just my thoughts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was only a part of one World Championship and there's nothing like it. And I thought when I got that first World Championship was a part of it. I thought we're going to get a whole bunch of them. I never got another one, right, It's truly hard to get, as you know AJ as a player and watching it. I mean, so, yeah, it is what it is. That's what it's all about. You have a chance, you go for it.
Speaker 3: Get it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: That being said, I also understand it's complicated because you know, you talk about the Milwaukee Brewers in Tampa Bay for a minute, They're always challenged because they can't compete in a payroll world at all with anybody, and they're trying to have a shot every year of being there, and you got to have young star players to do that. And so I'm not going to criticize the Brewers for not trading hayesus Mo Day, which is the only way they could have gotten Schooble. And I'm not going to blame the Race for not trading Theo Gillen, which is the only way they could have gotten Schooble. From what I'm being told, for two months of Schooble doesn't guarante you are world championship. And if you want to keep winning and have a chance, you better hold onto those two guys because they're going to be stars.
Speaker 3: So outside of them, though, I don't.
Speaker 4: Think anyone should have been an untouchable in either club to get Schooble.
Speaker 2: Wait, so the Tigers were demanding the very top prospect in those two organizations, yet they started at five with zire Hoe hope with the Dodgers. Do you know, like that's there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So here's my thing on that. So I'm glad you brought that up, right. I get so sick of these prospect rankings. We got some really smart.
Speaker 3: People right in baseball.
Speaker 4: I ask all of you go back and look at MLB Pipeline, Baseball America, and go study what all these great prospects were over the last fifteen years and tell me how many lived up to that. And tell me how many times a number ten prospect was actually the number one prospect and guys that weren't even in the top ten that got to the big leagues and made All Star teams. Like, you're going to be shocked and stunned if you actually go back and look at all these rankings that are never close. They're never close. So in the case that you just asked me, was I your hope? He would have been the number one prospect in most organizations? Just is anyone that's seen this player going to hit for average? He's got twenty to thirty home run power, twenty to thirty stolen base how's the work ethic? High baseball IQ, great baseball instincts? Now, would I have taken made over him, Yep, what I have taken Gillan over him, probably, but it's close.
Speaker 1: So even though for.
Speaker 4: The Dodgers people have ranked them fifth, I'll argue that he's better than that. I'll argue that he probably should have been two after Depaula for me. And he's a better defender than de Paula. So again, it's all about evaluations, right. I Mean, it was funny when that trade was made between the Washington Nationals and the Yankees. I quickly looked at the rankings that lou Pipeline and Baseball America.
Speaker 3: Had on the four players.
Speaker 4: So the guy that they had first not the guy the Nationals wanted. They wanted the guy that they had second on those lists, who they think clearly was the headliner in Grabile over Sebert.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: And so that's why when I do my research, well, I'm either evaluating the players myself or I'm calling the teams that I'm asking them directly, what does your organization think of these players? Because it doesn't matter what all these publications think or what all these analysts think or experts think. It's really about what is an organization and all their scouts, how do they summarize the rankings and it's just not consistent. So I guess my answer to you is, Hope is better than how he is ranked in the Dodger system. Also, the Dodger system is so good that Hope gets knocked down a little bit. But the Tigers did well on their return. I don't care what anybody says. Could they have gotten more on Monday? I think so, but they still for a rental. This is one of the best rental returns we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, there's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve Powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father take it Away.
Speaker 7: Stride is a wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it or what.
Speaker 2: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this fall. See how K twelve pirate schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve serving three million students and counting. Okay, I'm going to get back to the bus because I want to still like throw a trade or two at you, but I still want to go through the deadline grades and not get two off topics. So we'll get back to Milwaukee. Okay, let's go through bees. We don't have to go team by team here. I just want to point out, like, say, one or two questions. I'm a glaring one as we go back to your grade JB. So you gave the Phillies a B plus. And I'm saying this also because we have an audio crowd on podcasts later that's going to listen, so I want to make sure they get every team here, Yankees, Guardians, Raised White Sox, and Mariners. Got to be be My was Braves, Brewers, and Pirates. I guess we'll go back to the Brewers in a sect, But let me go to Braves for a moment. Why did the Braves get a B minus and not a lower grade for neglecting a frontline starter that they've badly needed for a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think they neglected it. They just weren't able to land it right. They wanted to hold on to Cam kemmidyty, the best pitching prospect in Jr. Richie, and didn't find a rental that they liked to give up. And remember Alex in Thoppol's histories, that doesn't give up rentals. His number one goal at the deadline was to get a starter that could start a playoff game, and he did not accomplish that. That's why I got to be minus. So why was the grade not lower? Because I thought he did a really good job of blocking Philadelphia. What I mean by that is Phillies really needed a right hand hitting outfielder, someone that could rake against left hand pitching because they struggle against left hand pitching.
Speaker 3: Lane Thomas does that.
Speaker 4: Lane Thomas can play all three outfield positions and he Rakes left handed pitching. He was the perfect acquisition for the Phillies number two. One of the Phillies issues is they don't win when their fourth and fifth starters are out there. That has been their achilles heel all year long. They needed not a starting pitcher that you know, top of the rotation or playoff pitcher. They needed someone that could eat innings at the back end. They weren't able to get that at the deadline. Part of the reason is that Atlanta went and got Tyler.
Speaker 3: Malley, who was available at a very cheap price.
Speaker 4: So I thought being able to get Lane Thomas and Tyler Malley at the price that they did, I thought Alex did a really good job, and more importantly, I think he prevented the Phillies from getting those two guys.
Speaker 3: I think if the Phillies that.
Speaker 4: Added Malley and Thomas with what they already did with the Rise and the two relievers, they would have had a shot at least of catching Atlanta. You know, now they have to sweat out the back of their rotation between now and October just to get there.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the Brewers for a moment, because they're on this list too. For the bus. So did you feel like a two part questionnaire? Let's start here, sends a tella Dustin May, Jojo Romero. Do the Brewers have a chance at beating the Dodgers if they match up again in the postseason this year?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, no, No, they needed they needed school.
Speaker 1: If they didn't wa wait, hold up, pulled up.
Speaker 5: I know, JB.
Speaker 2: Even taking that aside for a moment, I'm going to still try to craft an offer to woo you. But before we get to that, anybody else on the market that maybe would have given them more of a boost. And yes, I know that some of these guys, Jojo and sends a telegoon to the bullpen Gray, I'm sure they'll do nice things there. Dustin May, Okay, I don't know if he's starting a playoff game for them. He's definitely not going more than once through the lineup. Knowing how the Brewers operate, Clay Holmes Freddy seemed like they weren't as interested anybody else on the starting pitching list, even like a Soriano go down the line. Was there anyone else that the Brewers could have commanded that would have been in their top three to start a playoff game. I felt like I saw other guys that were moved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why they didn't get an A or B plus or a B. That's why they got the grade that they did because they didn't get Soriano, they didn't get Mys. I would have taken Ray, I would have taken all those guys you know over Dustin May.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of choices out there, Ree Debtner's perhaps could have been gotten. I mean, the Brewers have a very deep farm system, and they certainly could have gotten if they didn't want to do Schooble with Maday, I get that. But that being said, they did have enough to go get Schooble without ma Day in my opinion, and they certainly had enough to get anybody else more than above any other team. They could have done it and they didn't. So hopefully, you know, Harrison will come back and be what he was in April, and May, hopefully May will step up. Hopefully, you know, Logan Henderson and Sproute will be able to do what they do. I know they tried to get Freddy Peralta. They felt like they could fix him, but Tampa came in and paid more than they were willing to do, and I'm not sure the Mets president David Stearns wanted to return them to the Brewers at twenty five cents on the dollars, so that probably lessened their chances of acquiring him.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean I wish they had done more.
Speaker 4: But Dustin May and Senzatela is better than not doing anything.
Speaker 3: At least you got better. He added two arms plus Romerow.
Speaker 5: Okay, can I I just before my head might explode here, So you just said they could have got Scooble without giving up my day.
Speaker 1: So no, no, he said no.
Speaker 5: He just said they could have. He just said they could have gone see did look?
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I think they didn't wanted I think the Tigers really wanted hope. But the Brewers could have put a ridiculous package out there right Lewis Paygna and Laura Pratt, I mean, there has to be away with the farm system they have. You could have brought the Brinks truck up and loaded it and sended it over to Detroit and you could have had Schooble. And I would have tried to do that myself. Now, long term probably wouldn't be great for the employment line long term. But to win a world championship, I would have offered everything outside of my day. Let's try to make it work, and I would have tried to make it work. And I would have tried to also get Mys with him, like I don't mind unloading this system. I'm gonna win right now, but let me go get schoobl and Mys to put with Mansarowski, because I am that close to a world championship. But I got to get through the Dodgers, and the only way to get through the Dodgers and all probability is going to be Schooble, right, if you all, if we all want to be realistic, that's the one shot you have. And yeah, it didn't work out, didn't play, so it is what it is.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so.
Speaker 5: They're gonna be happy playing the Dodgers again getting swept. But hey, guys, we made it to the playoffs again. That's a fan of me. I'm sorry, Jim, that's the fan of me looking at it from the outside. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, and that's why all wonder you're gonna hear why the owners want to shut the game down for a salary cap.
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, so let's say that Brewers who gotta make go On win the World Series. That ends all that. Scott has a conspiracy theory. I don't believe in those, but Scott does.
Speaker 1: Right, But that's always going to bring up.
Speaker 2: But like Louis Pania, like Jim saying Louis Pania, maybe Henderson if they wanted more of an immediate impact guy, and then start going down the line of maybe their other you know, Tyson Harden, Bishop lets In, Andrew Fisher, right, like there's.
Speaker 5: A check check.
Speaker 1: I like some of these names that check check check.
Speaker 5: See you guys, right, But.
Speaker 2: Like that that doesn't affect like I do this. I've still got like eight guys I like in their system that I think can impact the major league club without even touching Laura and Pratt because that could send a bad message to trade away a guy that you just extended. I don't even think you needed those guys in the deal to get a shinier package than what the Dodgers gave up.
Speaker 4: Look, Scott, I agree with you completely. If aj Preller was one of the was running the Brewers, he would have gotten Schooble. If Jerry Depoto was running the Brewers, he would have gotten Schooble. Craig Breslo would have gotten Schooble, I would have gotten Schooble. So I mean yes, I mean organizations like though you know they they want to be around every single year and to be around every single year. The one area where Milwaukee is beating everybody is amateur scouting and building a farm system. They're crushing people in the Midwest. It's not even close. They're telling the other twenty nine teams, we're the Dodgers of scouting eighteen year olds in the Midwest. That's what we are. That's our strength. That we're not going to give that up, not for one player, not for two months.
Speaker 3: That's the decision that they made.
Speaker 4: And look, you're allowed to do that when you own a team, where you're running a team, that's your call.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm in AJ's camp, right, I just want that one World championship because you get that for life.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Ye, My World Series ring might be in a safe deposit box, but I get it for life in there.
Speaker 5: I mean, the bank get it, and everyone gets in life. And Jim, you know that the first question someone asks you is not how many times did you make the playoffs or were you in the running every year? Have you ever won a World Series? And that's what you can say. Yes, it's a very special club.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's white.
Speaker 3: People even give baseballs to the Pope because of it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, exactly, it changes your life. All right, let's keep rolling. We'll go quicker here. So let's get to the bottom of your buyer's list and just pick out a team or two C plus for the Twins and Rangers, C minus for the Astros, D plus for the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling I know where you want to go, but I'll let you run it.
Speaker 3: So I'll go anywhere you want. I mean, you tell me. I mean, look the.
Speaker 2: Diamond Back like, well here, I'm wearing their shirt. Can we start here with Snake's territory? So JB like, did you think?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 2: I like the Diamondbacks? So why did they mostly sit out? Besides a little bit of an offensive touch with Newpark and.
Speaker 4: I gave them the worst grade I could possibly get. I don't give fs at the deadline. I mean I gave him a.
Speaker 3: D a dog.
Speaker 4: I mean Lars newpar Is a fourth outfielder for me, I never understood it.
Speaker 3: Look, they needed bullpen help.
Speaker 4: They needed offense, They're in second place, they have a chance for a wild card. They get new Bar and the Padres go get miz and Ray. What else do we want to talk about? I mean, I know they've got starting pitchers coming off the injured list.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 4: I know that they're strapped dollar wise, apparently that they didn't have a lot to work with. They want to hold on some of their prospects.
Speaker 3: I get it. But no, you know, you're in second.
Speaker 4: Place, you're ahead of the Padres, you get a chance for a wild card, and Lars newt Bar is your headliner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, come on, let's just move on. Let's just move on.
Speaker 2: What about the Astros c minus they get Dalton Varshow what else did you need to see that?
Speaker 4: They they actually traded for Trevor Larnish and it was next, although that was not confirmed by the Astros or Twins, but everybody's telling me what happened.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, they needed a starting pitcher, they needed Foster Griffin.
Speaker 3: They were in on it to the very end.
Speaker 4: Guardian's farm system was better, and so the Guardians got him simply and they gave up a lot to get him, but that that was the key deal they needed badly. Look I like Varshow a year ago, I mean like a year ago, where was he slugging five forty with twenty homers and playing go glob center field.
Speaker 3: And this year.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's the pressure of free agency or what it was. But he's only twenty nine years old. I mean, I think he probably helps, but I don't think they did enough. I really don't. And I've said this before, and I know a lot of people think Houston's going to win this division. They're playing great the momentum. I'm not sleeping on the Mariners guys. I mean, they've cleared up the starting rotation issue. They got Kate Anderson coming, he got another baton Taylor Ward. At some point, Seal is going to put this thing together, and I think Houston's going to regret not doing more at the deadline.
Speaker 2: This is that time of year, AJ, It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is sea Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing seating and games that are even sold out available on sea geek.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, if you want to go to the biggest matchups, coming up. We have Yankees Cubs coming up. Where's Yankees Red Sox? That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here. And as the penachases really heat up, go to seke can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you.
Speaker 2: They will actually put a right dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Seakeek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm with Al West. This has been weird this year. Buy your seller list. You've got two teams, the Blue Jays and Nationals both get a bee.
Speaker 1: So you're like, okay, it's pretty good, right.
Speaker 4: I thought Toronto really balanced it well. I give high marks to Ross Atkins and Mark Shaparwer. It's really hard to do what they did, but they traded the expiring contracts Kevin Gosman. See you later, right, we talked about Dalton varshow they traded Jeff Hoffman and at the same time they bought right and they brought in Jose Soriano, which was absolutely huge for next year. And they did well on their selling with the Cubs in Gosman. So I thought they balanced buying and selling tremendously for the Nationals. I loved the I love the common early trade.
Speaker 3: I know, you know he's.
Speaker 4: Injured when they got them, but I mean to get a young left handed starter who's under a year of service time for the middle of your rotation for years to come, and not arbitration eligible for three years.
Speaker 3: I thought that was a huge pickup for them.
Speaker 4: And you know, I thought for the Lewis Garcia deal, they got four arms, right, I mean, two starters, two relievers. They did a really good job of stockpiling pitchers, so I thought they did really well as well. And kind of in between buying and selling.
Speaker 2: And then your seller's list, so we'll pick out a few teams from this one. I think we've spoken a decent amount about the Tigers already, and you gave them an A. The Giants get an AIM minus. They were sellers. I want to get to more of the interesting buy sell or. I guess it was mostly sell but weird situations. Where are we at on Baltimore JB? So they get a B plus. They mostly sold, but they didn't sell everything right, So it's like if you're selling your parts away. We were just criticizing them. How do they not trade away Trevor Rodgers? Do they think they're still in it despite trading away Adley Rutchman and Taylor Ward?
Speaker 1: And was there someone else? There were those of the two big boys?
Speaker 2: Okay, so what happened here with Dean Kramer? And what would you have done? Like, should they have of course traded another guy that's a rental?
Speaker 4: I mean Trevor Rodgers was the guy they needed to trade, you know, with the prices people were paying. I mean, why isn't he in Milwaukee Brewer today?
Speaker 3: You know, you tell me why he's not?
Speaker 4: Right after they lost out on school, I mean, isn't isn't that way you're going after next? I mean so yeah, I mean, look, they they they only sold, they didn't buy. They said the week before Michael Oyas came out publicly and said we're going to buy in sell and balance it.
Speaker 3: That's not what he did. He only sold.
Speaker 5: You know, the.
Speaker 4: Retimen return isn't as great as it's being reported, but the fact that anytime in this industry that you get three of someone's top five prospects, everyone thinks, oh wow, you know, some of those guys are overrated. I got to be honest with you, right, I love the pitcher I and Send. I think that is legitimate. I think Witherspoon was the first round picks overrated, to be honest. So I thought Baltimore, you know, look, they did what they wanted to do with Rutchman. They weren't going to extend him. They came to the conclusion that they would get more at this deadline than they would in the offseason, and I think that's accurate. So I thought they got a solid return there. So Dean Kramer, I would have moved on from him as well, especially after he showed up Pete Alonso on that play at first base, which I'd have moved him right away as well. I didn't like that at all, and I was finally moving on from him. But Rogers was the one thing that they also probably should have moved unless they think they can sign him a long term and perhaps there's some negotiations going on behind the scenes that we don't know about. So if we read that Rogers is extended, then I'm okay with them not trading him. So we'll find out, obviously in the next couple of weeks if they were able to extend him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean eight years with Michael ISAs they've been kind of rebuild seller mode for six of them, which is getting concerning at this point.
Speaker 4: And to your point, Scott, and we've talked about this on the show many times, they're collectors. They don't put a team together, right, They collect all this talent, but they're not putting a team together, and that's why they are where they are. On the other side, I find it fascinating all the hate that Craig Breslo gets in Boston and yet he's putting a team together. He's not collecting prospects, He's putting together a team to win. And no one got criticized more on the two trades, the one with Washington that he made and the one with Baltimore that he made. And I keep telling everyone, Yeah, but did you see the pieces he's getting. He actually knows what he's doing. Curtis Meat is what they needed, or right, a hitting infielder with power, that's a pull hitter for.
Speaker 3: The wall at Fenway Park.
Speaker 4: What he needed was an upgrade defensively and offensively, a catcher with Adley Rutchman like he's putting. He needed another reliever. He goes get Eric Miller and everyone. How can you trade Marcel Meyer? He never got shot and this and that, well, I watched him a lot. I don't know how much it's gonna hit. I'll be honest with you, and I don't even care if he loses the deal because what Breslo is doing, he's building a championship team. Look at the job he has done since he's been there. I mean so the criticism he gets in Boston, to me is absolutely absurd because I don't think people are paying attention. And I'll say it one more time, gms don't get paid to win trade, you get paid to win championships.
Speaker 2: Love it and yeah, we loved what the Red Sox did the last few days. And for the Orioles, I'm gonna you're too nice collectors.
Speaker 1: I'll go hoarders over the last decade. At this point, they're hoarding.
Speaker 2: All right, let's finish up the list, So just read for the crowd and then AJ will finish with the question for you. So you had the Angels with a B, Mets and Cardinals B minus C plus for the Marlins, Royals and Rockies get a CE, and the two D teams are what I think AJ wants to ask you about.
Speaker 5: Why didn't they do anything? The Athletics and the Reds. I mean the Reds, I guess got rid of Kirby Yates, right, that was their big move, didn't they get rid of Kirby hs? And Yeah, he's the only team who didn't do anything. They didn't do one major league trade. Are they that good that they don't need any help?
Speaker 4: So here's what David Force said. He did not want to sell because we're building. And even though we're not in a pennant race and we're not contenders, doesn't mean we should sell because they're building for Las Vegas in twenty twenty eight. I think what is disappointing is they weren't able to add any pitching to the system. I think that's my criticism. You couldn't take one of those outfielders and turn it into pitching. Like So to me, I'm okay, the I'm not selling. I get what they're doing. I'm on board with the plan, I get it. But this is a deadline where I needed Dad pitching. So that's how I feel with the Athletics.
Speaker 3: With the Reds, you can't blame them. They all took ambient in the morning.
Speaker 8: They all asleep. They weren't there. Look, they didn't buy, they didn't sell. They thought it was football. Fourth down, they punted, took ambient, went to bed.
Speaker 3: They can't blame them. They were sleeping.
Speaker 5: Isn't the point of rebuilding though, trading your tradable pieces if you have any, and getting prospects back for years down the road. I e. What the Athletics, if they're trying to build for Las Vegas in two years, shouldn't they have traded anything they could have to get better for two years from now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd be both the Athletics and red should have traded. And heck, maybe they should have traded with each other. Maybe Hunter Green should have been the one traded to the Athletics. You know, I just don't understand when you get to a trade deadline. I don't understand teams that don't make moves.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make any sense to me, because now you know when.
Speaker 4: You can't make move August, September and October, you can't make a move outside a waiver claim or a promotion in the minor leagues or signing a minor league free agent.
Speaker 3: But now you're shut down. Your business is done until November. That's it.
Speaker 4: And by the way, when you get to November, there's free agents and the trade value goes down, and you know, it's just this is the time of year where everyone gets emotional, people make bad moves, and you gotta take advantage of it. You got to sit there and do it. So, yeah, we had a handful of teams that.
Speaker 5: Didn't for GMS. Now, yeah, that's an take off their sweater vest and put on their Hawaiian.
Speaker 1: Shirt and quick housekeeping. Kirby Yates. He went from the Angels, Oh sorry, sorry, the Red trade to the Pirates.
Speaker 2: The Red traded Caleb Ferguson and Nathaniel Low that's right, sorry, Bravo, Yes, Cincinnati, and lay off the ambient.
Speaker 1: Okay, they're not sponsored by them. JB.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Great to catch up and awesome, awesome job yesterday. I followed it all, I read it all.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We'll talk to you next week.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: YouTube and JB's on GM Territory, they had an episode every day leading up to the trade deadline, then of course on trade deadline day shows awesome. It's getting a huge pop on YouTube right now, as it should.
Speaker 1: Go check it out.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's show a tweet for two minutes here on what John Mizzailak did. Ratt Bollinger, who covers the team, said Mo spoke with Trout a few weeks ago. They decided he wouldn't be on the market, so no offers. He didn't even take any offers, he said. Trout was invited into the trade room a few days ago just to see what the process is like.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 5: Cool, Hey, Mike, come in here just you can see that you're not going to get traded. This is cool. I don't know. I mean, let's give you a tour, Mike.
Speaker 1: That's like the kid going into the cockpit and seeing.
Speaker 5: Yes, the pilot. Hey, this is how we like if you want to plane, Hey, Jimmy.
Speaker 1: You want wings glad does he get wings.
Speaker 5: Seen a gun naked? He gets a halo?
Speaker 1: Halo, you got a little halo. Thanks for coming into our trade war room.
Speaker 5: I don't I don't know that cool. I mean, I don't know cool, like I don't know. I mean, it's pretty cool that he did this. But listen, Mike Trout, John Mozilla, Mike Trout doesn't win, Guys, I'm done talking about Mike truck getting He.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to be traded.
Speaker 5: He's not going to be traded. He's going to play out his career in Anaheim. He's going to finish his career with zero playoff wins unless something drastically changes in Los Angeles, and he's gonna be one of the biggest letdowns. Is a fan of my Trout ever, because there was just so much potential there and they just never could get it right. They had think about this that one time they had arguably the two best players in the game on the same team and couldn't even come close to getting to the postseason.
Speaker 2: In a time period where many more teams make the postseason in the past, you know, like if this was nineteen fifties or something. Yeah, there's so many more teams involved. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program.
Speaker 3: Kratz.
Speaker 1: We love our pups, we.
Speaker 5: Do, and I can't put Bella in a bubble, So you know what I'll do. I'll do the next best thing for her.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: The ASPCA Pet Health Insurance Program offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and it's covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters, and that's your pet. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul again one more time. ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is underwritten by either Independence American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurre and is not engaged in the business of insurance at Baseball World on Twitter with this one last night, I always like these some players I'm shocked didn't get traded, and he added more in their replies. But he started with Tyler Stevenson, Brady Singer, Labor Torres, Kenny Jansen, Jake McCarthy, Mickey Moniac. You can cross off because after that he ended up signing an extension for a couple of years with the Rockies last night. But the rentals right, Trevor Rodgers we mentioned a few times. So if you're selling, sell anybody that's Scott one year, even Luis Robert.
Speaker 1: Did you see what they said about him?
Speaker 5: Though I sent him, we're super excited about having the last two months with him, and we have that we're going to pick up what the nobody wants to be the one again, nobody wants to be the one that he turns around.
Speaker 2: You're not trading him because he has a twenty million dollar club option to say.
Speaker 1: I mean the Mets were dumb enough to trade for him, they might eventually say nobody wanted him. They might.
Speaker 5: I'm serious, the Mets dumb enough to trade for him this offseason after the White Sox picked up their option.
Speaker 2: They thought they had a plan down and it hasn't worked. And you can't I mean, in fairness to David Searns, he can't go in the post press conference after the trade down LA nobody wanted him. It would be an epic throwdown. But you can't say that right now.
Speaker 5: You can.
Speaker 2: It's possible that was the case where people like you know what, not worth the cash, too risky, like we talked about yesterday, to lose the roster spot if he gets hurt again and it's just not working for him consistently on the field, and you're a playoff contender, Sure, maybe you take a flyer on him, but nobody wanted to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the Mets really love him and they wanted to keep.
Speaker 5: Him for the Abram here's the list. You know. Abrams wasn't going to get traded netto Yeah, I think he's too valuable. Mason Miller wasn't going anywhere once the pottery's got hot, Joe Ryan, the Twins are in it, Hunter Goodman, no read Debt Meers is surprising because the Angels are kind of trying to trade everybody. Otto Lopezevir Edwards, Marlins and we never know what they're going to do. Seya Suzuki. They're trying to win a contra Marlins Parades are trying to win. Hancock, they traded Castillo, opened him up. Jeffers are trying to win. Michael King, they're trying to win more Home. They're trying to win. Now, when you get to the Reds, Lodolo, who knows what they're doing. He's optioned. So that's why I didn't trade him. Kristian Walker, they're trying to win. I don't know. Matchall would have been a good one, but I don't know. What do you have much value right now? Matt Schall?
Speaker 2: You can probably build up more and also it gives them depth and they didn't have to trade him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Glabor Torres, that's one. If the Tigers aren't going for it, then why not trade Glabor Torus. He's a free agency they got off qualifying off him again and have.
Speaker 1: Him accept it. You can't do it twice, I know.
Speaker 5: So that's the point.
Speaker 1: I mean, someone could have used Douse.
Speaker 5: He signed it next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wanted to keep him in logo.
Speaker 6: That was their choice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love when we have time during slap pands Question of the day, we can retee it just so you see it and you can reply to it. Still, but we have some answers. We pulled rate your team's trade deadline performance. We'll start with butch red SOX solid B plus.
Speaker 5: Okay, we'll see when athlete comes back. That's we don't know.
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 2: But if you had to rate them right now, that's a pretty fair great athlet.
Speaker 5: I love the wish Curtis me. Did you get hurt on the first to bat?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: A minus for me. You got one of the better catchers in baseball. You got a reliever who's capable of doing big things for you. He's got to watch the control. But the rest of it's there. For Eric Miller, I like it. Let's get to Eric. Eric right, Rockies, I would rate it a C. Glad good, min Moniac and MacArthur's staying. Could have dealt Castro, Chicano, Lorenzo and Freeland.
Speaker 1: He had no offense.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to point out everyone's name here, but some of those guys, probably.
Speaker 5: Sigano is actually having a good year.
Speaker 2: He is, but some of those guys might not have been getting the big ask.
Speaker 6: This year.
Speaker 2: Well, Colorado is a challenge. Yeah, and in Freeland's you know he's and he costs something. It's not the easiest guy to trade. It's just I know he had the complete game the other day. All that he's been there forever.
Speaker 1: West Clark.
Speaker 2: I love when a good gift is passed along. Jiff thumbs down. Kevin from the office on the Reds, I'm a fan. Jim Bowden's best answer when we spoke to him.
Speaker 5: They took ambient sleeping.
Speaker 2: He said it with confidence that he was like, no, it's fine. They were sleeping, So what are they supposed to do? You can't do things when you're sleeping. Next up, Blue Jays from a name I don't know how to pronounce, he said, we don't know, honestly, Clint Eastwood.
Speaker 5: I just I think it's from the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Speaker 1: Blowing bubbles, We'll say.
Speaker 5: I like what the Blue Jays did because they weren't winning this year, so they started they kind of got to jump on next year by getting them making the moves they did for next year. Because if you go again, if you go into the season with the arraghetty see Soriano and uh you Savage. That's pretty good start to your rotation. And in the back end of their bullpen is solid with Varlin. They got rid of Hoffman, who has been Homer trendy, Homer Homer loving this year right, and got rid of his money. That was a good move. Yeah. I like what the Blue Jays did. We'll see next year however they are. But I like the moves they made because they kind of jump on other teams for the offseason.
Speaker 2: I have more for you. Austin d Backs get a thumbs down. Didn't address three big needs. Starting pitching, relief pitching, first base. Someone like Luis Garcia would have looked so good there.
Speaker 5: That's why Jim Game a D minus. But it came we'll give him an F.
Speaker 1: He went as far as he could go.
Speaker 2: There are quite a few angry Diamondbacks fans in there. Hewitt astros D.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a little much for me. Someone posted mid but they didn't say which team.
Speaker 1: They're talking about.
Speaker 5: It doesn't help us if you don't say what you.
Speaker 1: Don't know who you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Cool, no way, uh Phillies F minus because of the mixing and matching with everyone having to changed positions.
Speaker 5: Troll troll.
Speaker 2: Okay, someone posted just because they're on the topic. Today, someone posted Pikachu in the Dodgers shirt.
Speaker 5: Oh not like Michael with his socks on?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: Coach Kevin Matt's f No, No, come on.
Speaker 2: That's too harsh. Someone else gave an a minus to no one. Mett's got a solid B from Steve. That's fair.
Speaker 5: By the way, Jorge Silira is now available for trades because he was design it for someone. They couldn't find someone to trade for him. They couldn't eat the money and trade for him. No trade him. There's not someone out there that couldn't say, hey, man, we can hit homers for us.
Speaker 1: But he's your d h.
Speaker 5: If he's doing that, I'm aware. But there's not a team out there that could use him to hit a home or two, even a bench player.
Speaker 2: He's got below average numbers this year on office. I mean, he's had his moments, but it's not right now. The last one. Yeahs D plus for the Yankees. Again, that's too harsh. That is too harsh. Yes, some Yankee fans wanted a catcher and a bullpen guy. Your offense got much better over the last few days. Right, if that's your one spot that's not producing, it's okay. And also, the Yankees clearly are valuing defense at a certain level, And Kratz was talking about this too, where he said, you know, I think Stevenson would have been a nice ad there. Maybe they don't value his defense high enough to make the cut, but I think Stevenson would have been a nice addition. Tyler Stevenson, Reds are keeping him for funzies. All right, that was fun.
Speaker 5: By the way, Uh, yeah, you have something else.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, we're staying on for a few minutes on YouTube.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, so yesterday or yesterday, let's say Tuesday. Where did I fly home? Monday? Sunday Sunday afternoon. I flew home and I was in Chicago clearly, and uh, in front of me in line was Andre Dawson in the security line, and the guys stopped and took a picture with him. And then I was like two people behind him, and I walked by and the guy was like.
Speaker 1: Just randomly, you and Andre Dawson are the same place.
Speaker 5: Just so far away, and yeah, EXI line. It's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Great, he is a great guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been around him on decent super nice staying on