Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks.
Speaker 2: It is Monday, April twenty seventh. Then it appears the search for two missing doctoral students in Florida is over now that a second body has been recovered. With that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ Robs. These students had been missing for I guess about a week, and then authorities say, actually they're endangered and they found one of their bodies. He's been identified. The second student ropes. They found a body they haven't identified, but they do believe it is the second student.
Speaker 3: Yes, human remains were found on Sunday and they do believe it is the body of twenty seven year old Nahita Bristie and those remains were found near where her friends Emil L. Mohan's body was found on top of a bridge that was spanning Tampa Bay. Her remains were found just below that same air dive teams were able to recover them. They haven't officially been identified, but suspects excuse me. Police have said that they now are charging the man who is the suspect of murdering these two with two counts a first degree murder.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, the search is over for the students, we believe, But police. It's important to note do say that the search is over for a suspect. They do not believe somebody's out there running around on the streets that they need to track down. No, they believe, in fact, there was the roommate of Zamil Lemon who actually is responsible for this. We'll get into some of those details, but Robes a reminder to the audience here of who these two are. Twenty seven year old students' friends, have known each other for quite a while, both from Bangladesh. Their families back there are very concerned about them. But Robes, there was I guess hope early on they said these two had talked maybe about marriage down the road there was and I know we were we were holding on the hope that they were what do you call them, love starar across lovers. Yeah, maybe they ran off, but it's not the case.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately that was not the case, and when they found the body body of Zamil Leimann, it was only a matter of time before they found a heat of Bristie. But there's still a lot of mystery involved in what happened. As you mentioned, Babe, police do have the suspect, twenty six year old Hisham Abu Garibaya that was Lemone's roommate.
Speaker 1: He has been charged with those murders.
Speaker 3: But they also over the weekend, prosecutors began to reveal some of the evidence they have mounting against this young man and it is fairly tremendous and they do believe they have their guide.
Speaker 2: And they again, we told you they had been missing since the sixteenth, or haven't that right?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Team is when they went missing. But there were several days that went by robes that there was not necessarily concern for their well being. There was curious and the family was concerned because this isn't like them. They don't do this. We know something's wrong. Police didn't have that evidence. It went then to endangered rogues to the evidence and some things that are coming out now. When it went to endangered, we didn't really understand why. They have now explained why andes we heard there was evidence at the apartment that maybe wasn't apparent initially to them that they went back and found that made it clear to them that they were looking for two victims.
Speaker 3: Yes, because they were able to detect us, were able to use some sort of enhancement whatever they used blue lights. I'm not sure exactly what it was that reveals blood that's.
Speaker 1: Been cleaned up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they found significant blood patterns from the entry from the foyer there into the kitchen, into the hallway into the roommate's bedroom. And then that blood that they found in the bedroom was found in two distinct patterns on the floor which appeared to have human sized shapes.
Speaker 2: And this is something they knew. It was one thing we thought about it like, there's just so much blood that it had to be to no, no, to hear this. Now we see two blood, we know there are two bodies here, that is they and they describe robes. What is just a horrific way that he died And so the amount of blood and do I haven't right as well? And you're going to get into this, but I'm asking now because I can't remember. They said he was found in trash bags, yes, right, more than one correct, but I haven't they said the number of bags, but they didn't say dismembered.
Speaker 1: I had the same question. They didn't. They've never used the word dismembered.
Speaker 3: But when you talk about multiple bags, and they did say badly decomposing, the badly decomposing body of Lemon was found in multiple bags, so that would imply that there was some sort of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dismemberment.
Speaker 3: We do know that they believe, and they have said the autopsy they've already completed that of Lemon was does reveal that he was stabbed to death essentially, so they were multiple stab wounds throughout his body, and so that is how they believe. Unfortunately, Lemon died and we are now just a waiting official word that in fact is Bristie's body and then an autopsy I'm sure has already ben is underway right now.
Speaker 2: To note about this one thing about the suspect, we should note no motive yet, we don't have that. Don't understand that yet. The next thing here robes about this and we saw him taken into custody.
Speaker 1: What was it on Saturday I believe.
Speaker 2: With him coming out of the house, well we haven't described that, but he was essentially barricaded himself a little bit of a standoff correct his family.
Speaker 3: House, barricaded himself if there was about twenty minutes swat teams were called in. He finally emerged with his hands raised, barely clothed in a blue.
Speaker 1: Bath towel, and that is how he was arrested.
Speaker 2: But robe is important to note here he has been charged with premeditated murder. Now we wonder, well, how did police come to that conclusion? How do they know? Because he left an electronic trail They say, damn near all over his phone.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is so eerie.
Speaker 3: There is chat GPT evidence which came out over the weekend three days.
Speaker 1: This is what's just so sad.
Speaker 3: I wish there was a way that you could look at people's searches and it could signal something to police to intervene, But we don't have that capability yet and that would be a massive invasion of privacy.
Speaker 1: And I understand.
Speaker 3: But three days before Leman and Bristoe went missing, he is in his on his phone searching or asking the questions to chat GPT what happens if a human is put in a black garbage bag and thrown in a dumpster. Chat GPT answers, that sounds dangerous, and then he wrote back how would they find out? So he's already planning what he's going to do with their bodies three days before they even go missing, and then one day before they disappeared, he asked Chad GPT, can a VIN number on a car be changed? Can you keep a gun at home without a license? And then two days after he reportedly now because they did track his car and his phone his GPS to that bridge where they found ultimately Lemown's body and underneath it what they believed to be Bristie's body, and that is how they knew where to look. Two days after he reportedly dumped their bodies, he put into Chad GBT, has there been someone who survived a sniper bullet to the head? Will my neighbors hear my gun? And will Apple know who is the new iPhone user after the previous user? So it looked like he was trying to see whether or not he might die by suicide by cops basically, or die by suicide with his own gun, or get away with it and switch phones up.
Speaker 2: This is ah, okay, he's innocent until proven guilty. But Jesus, I mean this is one of those robes where a good lord, they have all of them. No, this does not prove anything, and he is well always had to say that robes. He's innocent until proven guilty, but they are piling up. Now that's the digital stuff. There's plenty of other stuff. I mean, it's just it. The evidence against him now seems a little overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Overwhelming is the word I would have used as well.
Speaker 3: So they they told us a little bit about Prosecutors told the court a little bit about what aber Garbea was saying when they initially interviewed him. They said that he initially said that Lemon and Bristy had never been in his car, and then when they showed him, yeah, we actually know that their phones in your car were in the exact same place at the exact same time, he then changed his story to say, oh, yeah, I did give them a ride to Clearwater the last day they were seen. But then they were able to find receipts where he purchased trash bags, lysol wipes for breeze. They actually had the other roommates say that he saw aber Garbea take boxes out to a dumpster.
Speaker 1: When they searched the dumpster, there was a treasure trove of evidence.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do with this guy. The thing I'm waiting to hear and again, open and shut, slam dunk k all this stuff. They think they got their guy and robes. It's I want to hear a motive. What in the world set this into motion. I haven't seen anything yet. You tell me if you have about his background, having issues, having any kind of criminal history, having any got issues with his family. I don't know. Stuff usually comes out about there were warning signs. I haven't seen that yet.
Speaker 3: His family has said there were, because his brother has had asked for him to be barred from his home, actually sought some legal protection for it. And aber Garbeo was charged or arrested twice at least for domestic violence because he had outburst with his family threats of violence. So absolutely there were warning signs.
Speaker 2: You know what I got to mixed up with? Are DC shooter?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 1: Yes, here were no warning signs with him.
Speaker 2: No, I held those things. His family had showed concerns as well. Oh so I thought I got the two guys mixed up.
Speaker 3: No, there were warning signs on both. But yes, big time, big time. And then the treasure trove, by the way of evidence they found in that dumpster, I'll just go through a list of some of what they found. They found Limon's student ID, they found his credit cards with his name on them. They found Bristy's pink cell phone cover. They found a gray T shirt in the dumpster that they've already tested for genetic material that has been linked to LeMans, and then a kitchen mat that was missing. They found it in the dumpster with genetic material matching with Bristi. They saw that he had cuts on his hands, lacerations on his legs.
Speaker 1: He this was a fight.
Speaker 3: And Lemon, it looks like and Bristy perhaps too, fought until the very end, so he was cut up as well.
Speaker 2: Is he today for mim? I'm sorry he today or tomorrow?
Speaker 3: In court tomorrow on Tuesday, he has a it's a cord hearing, it's a bond hearing, and we kind of went we kind of laughed at that, as if he's going to get out. No, he is being held on bail right now until the hearing tomorrow Tuesday at nine am Eastern time is when it's scheduled.
Speaker 1: But he almost.
Speaker 3: Certainly, I can't imagine the scenario in which this man would ever even be allowed to have any sort of dollar amount placed on a bond.
Speaker 2: This evidence is unbelieve.
Speaker 1: He's growth.
Speaker 2: Criminals make mistakes, they usually get caught not known for being the brightest people in the world. Bro, this has got to be the worst job of covering your tracks in a crime or it's the most unbelievable framing job we've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Correct, Correct, exactly, and look, the big glaring question that you mentioned is motive.
Speaker 1: We have no idea how or why this.
Speaker 3: Roommate would plan the brutal, horrific murders of these two young doctoral students and then plan in great detail how he was going to get rid of their bodies.
Speaker 1: It's just beyond disturbing.
Speaker 3: So when we come back, we're going to talk about what the families of Lemon and Bristie have to say. They they released a very lengthy and frankly fiery joint statement upon the news of the arrest of Lemon's roommate. Welcome back, everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ, where we are getting a lot of information about what happened to those two doctoral students who are missing for more than a week from the University of South Florida. We know that Zamilimon's body was found on Friday, and now it's believed Nahita Bristie's remains were also recovered yesterday. On Sunday in the Tampa Bay below where her friend Zamil's body was found just a few days earlier. And we are getting some unbelievable evidence coming out of court over the weekend from prosecutors about what they have been able to discover about Lemohan's roommate, twenty six year old Hesham aber Garbea. He is charged with first degree murder in the deaths of both Lemon and Bristie, and he has a very difficult case, or at least his defense attorneys will have a very difficult case when they take this to court.
Speaker 2: Difficult because it's almost from what we've seen already, the evidence is insurmountable. That's not going too far. If what they have is what they have, it's insurmountable.
Speaker 3: I absolutely I think anyone who just heard this podcast would agree with your statement and how you categorize it. But we are hearing from the families of the two slain students, and they put out a joint statement and I know you read it as well, but they are making a list of demands and it is they're far away. Can you imagine being thousands and thousands of miles away from your children and to know that this is the fate they met after sending them off to the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're angry the dream American dream, and sometimes yes, we're a parent. You almost hold the entire country, the state, the community, and maybe even the campus responsible for your children.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they pissed, and that is exactly what this request is ask They first of all asked that the bodies be handled into accordance with Islamic rituals. So they're asking that that be done properly, and they're asking that the university make sure that happens. And then in terms of the university, they want the university to take action against the off campus housing facility that put this roommate. Now the suspect assigned, they say, without proper background checks or without information that should have been given to their son to know who he was actually residing with. I didn't realize that somehow they are blaming the university for placing these students together in an off campus housing facility.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we all know sometimes you do not have a choice of who your roommate's going to be. But I don't know how far are they're going to get with that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said that even after complaints were made, why was no strong action taken to protect its residents with its security system?
Speaker 1: So that was interesting.
Speaker 3: They also are asking for the highest possible punishment for the roommate, and that makes and said all completely.
Speaker 1: They also asked that.
Speaker 3: They want all their personal belongings return to them from their children. That's understandable, but they also want all the this is this stood out to me. We request that any remaining bank balances, pending stipends, salaries, benefits, or other financial dues belonging to their children be transferred to their families, because they said since both families were financially dependent on them. We also request the university arrange financial support for their families and open an official channel through which people can contribute.
Speaker 1: I thought that stood out. They are asking for payment.
Speaker 2: What these kids were sending back to their family. I don't know what that situation is and how well their family is doing or how badly that family is doing. But yeah, I mean, I'm sure some I don't know if the university will do it officially, but someone, if it's not already out, probably have some kind of fun for the family.
Speaker 3: We forget about just the role these students play in their families lives. I was thinking about that they're being sent off the United States. They're being supported by their family, but in return, they're the pride and joy of their family that's expected to then financially support their family back home. So this is so much the case with students and immigrants who come to this country. They are loved and they are supported, but they are desperately needed by their families to continue their lifestyles overseas. So I just you don't usually see that. I thought that was really interesting. And then they're asking for a memorial in their honor. They want the university to establish a memorial in their names to try and prevent tragedies like theirs in the future.
Speaker 1: And I think that's really honorable.
Speaker 3: And they they make these requests and they hope they say that most importantly, that those requests will be treated with compassion and responsibility.
Speaker 2: We shalsea. Ian's a couple of the tall orders with I don't if the university decided to do any of those things, I wouldn't be opposed. I wouldn't have any problem with any of that. So I don't have any problem with them asking.
Speaker 3: Ah. Yeah, but this is just an unbelievably tragic end, hoping obviously for that Star Cross lover's story to unfold, but unfortunately that is not the case, and we will keep our eye on the core proceedings that are taking place tomorrow at nine am Eastern time. We will see what happens to this twenty six year old roommate who did some unthinkable and planned, according to authorities, an unspeakable and unthinkable act of violence. Why, We hope to find out, Certainly the families are hoping for that answer as well.
Speaker 1: We always appreciate you listening to us. Everyone.
Speaker 3: With that, thank you, I'm Amy Robach alongside TJ. Holmes, and we will talk to you very soon.