Speaker 1: Welcome into Ravens Press pass. Today you'll hear from general manager Eric Dacussa and head coach John Harball as they have their combine press conferences. Let's start with General manager Eric Tacusta.
Speaker 2: Hello, everyone.
Speaker 3: First, I just want to congratulate Peter King for his retirement. Peter is a guy that me growing up in Boston. I read his column, I learned a lot of football over the years. We've become good friends. Tremendous respect for his passion for covering the game, if everything he's done for the sport of football, and he will be sorely missed by me.
Speaker 2: So questions.
Speaker 3: Things, Well, I think we made a statement on that we're aware.
Speaker 2: Of the situation.
Speaker 3: Obviously, domestic violence is something that we're deeply concerned about, and we will continue.
Speaker 2: To assess the situation as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we've actually looked at franchises like the Steelers over the years and always had an admiration for the way that they've conducted business. Obviously bitter rivals, but we believe that continuity is critical to success, you know, in many different ways. I think just from a coaching staff, the systems in place, the offense, the defense, having the same schemes, I think, you know players, having the same coaches year to year is critical. And then from a scouting perspective, building out processes, having a way that you scout players, Having the same scouts, scouting players every single year, the process of the draft and how that unfolds, we believe is critically important to our success. And you know that it's great for me to look over and see guys next to me. We haven't lost a lot of people over the years in scouting. Joe Hortiz this year, a great friend of mine just went to become the gem of the LA Chargers for or you know, twenty five years. Joe is sat to my right, so you know I'm gonna miss him this year.
Speaker 2: They'll be a void.
Speaker 3: But having that continuity I think is essential. Yes, Yeah, Jeremiah is a very hard charging guy, good on special teams. I think he's a developmental outside back or strong and physical, great attitude, and I think he's gonna have a great career, definitely. I mean, it was nice to see the number. It doesn't mean that we're gonna just open up the books and go shopping. I think that's not really the Raven's way, but to have that buffer, so to speak, and to give us a little bit more flexibility along the way. It helps us this year, but it also helps us in the coming years as we project what we think that salary cap is going to be moving out in years twenty five and twenty six as well. So it does give you a little bit of a picture of the landscape of football and what that means salary cap wise. My roster building standpoint, I think we're excited about the potential that we have to be a good team this year, and we think that we'll have some flexibility to remain good in the coming years. Well, John did the majority of that. You know, I would help him and give him advice. Last year I was probably more involved in the interview process with the coordinator search than I was this year. But I think John does an amazing job building out of staff. I think last year's staff was really an incredible job of building out and helping our team. So we feel really good about the guys that we brought in this year. A lot of work was done by the assistant coaches, by the coordinators, and by John to get that done, and we're excited about the skills that they bring to the table. Well, Nelly was a guy that we brought in last year.
Speaker 2: We had studied them for years.
Speaker 3: I had studied them coming out of USC and you know, I always liked this game. Felt he was a valued guy for us. We knew a lot about his personality. He bought a lot to the table this year as a player, but also as a leader. He was great for that receiver room. The way that he conducted his business every day, the way that he practiced every day. The guys that saw him out there every single day know that he had tremendous intangibles and brought a lot to the table.
Speaker 2: So for us to talk to.
Speaker 3: Him and get that done, I think he's been a lot of different places, understood what it felt like to be a Baltimore Raven, and he wanted to come back. We knew that and we were excited to have him back. Well, we're trying to get a deal done. You know, we've had discussions with Justin. He's a guy that obviously has put himself in a fortuitous position this year by the way that he played, had a great season for us. He's a valued player on the team and We're hopeful that we can get a long term deal done.
Speaker 2: Oh he'll do great.
Speaker 3: Mike's a guy that you know, people may not know this. Back in the day, we interviewed Mike and scouting as a player personnel assistant. He didn't get the job, but very very thoughtful, very smart guy. We brought him back on the coaching staff, very innovative, organized, He's a motivator, he's a great person, respectful. Players love him, coaches love him. He's a home run hired by the Seahawks. Well, we were really happy with this game this year. You know, I think sometimes people get really caught up on the number of sacks that people get. We prefer to look at pressures and disruptions and the ability that they affect the game and the dafes. Probably one of the hardest working players we have on our defense. He's got a great motor, plays with a passion. He's an exciting young prospect. He is battled back for some injuries, and we think that this is gonna be a great season for him. We're very, very excited about what he brings to the table this year as one of our primary age rush guys.
Speaker 2: Great position players. Last year we have the doctor.
Speaker 3: Well, we need more than two running backs, so certainly I think you'll see us make a couple of acquisitions along the way. We think Heaton Mitchell is gonna come back from his knee injury. Justice is a player last year, probably one of the unsung heroes of our whole team. I would say, you know, we're still talking to Gus, We'll talk to JK a couple of free agents that we had. Hopefully that we can get something done with those guys. We've looked at the draft class, probably not you know, as deep as some other positions that we'll see an this year as draft class. There are some UFAs this year in the draft, I mean, a free agency, some talented.
Speaker 2: Players that we will look at as well.
Speaker 3: But I think it's probably safe to say that we'll have more than two running backs on the roster at some point, and we will definitely have a plan for that position. Eugene shn So. Eugene was a guy that you know, a lot of respect for.
Speaker 2: Eugene.
Speaker 3: We interviewed Eugene probably back in two thousand and eleven to run the player personnel analytics department at the time.
Speaker 2: Eugene couldn't.
Speaker 3: We offered Eugene the job, he couldn't take the job for some different reasons. He was up in Connecticut and he was working on Wall Street. He couldn't take the position. And then a few years later we were trying to hire somebody in coaching and eugene situation had changed. He was more flexible and he was willing to take the position in coaching. Very very smart guy, innovative, you know, very good with modeling and just building out look at using data to analyze. And I think that the commanders got themselves a good hire, and I think we'll do a great job over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, you know. I do.
Speaker 3: I read a lot of history, a lot of military history, a lot of value investing stuff, Ben Graham, Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 3: I'm really interested in that idea as pertains to players.
Speaker 2: I do read a lot, you know.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes the scouts will get sick of me talking about things they have no interest in. I've gotten some podcasts and stuff too.
Speaker 2: But I do feel that.
Speaker 3: In this business it's easy to do the same things the same way every single year. And I think for me at least being creative kind of looking and being exposed to different things is very helpful, whether that's a podcast, a TV show, a movie, books, whatever that might be. Sometimes my best idea is kind of germinate from some of those different types of things. I think always, I mean, I think that's a critical position. I think the data supports that. And that's a position too where some of these guys are like race cars. They break down at times, and so having a depth at that position is critical. We saw that this year. We think we built the room out pretty well this year, and we're able to sustain some injuries along the way, so we will look at that. I think it's a very very deep year in the draft. This draft class is pretty impressive from a receiver standpoint. We'll assess that talent and see what kind of falls our way, and then look at the free agency crop as well.
Speaker 2: Well. Anthony is a guy that you know.
Speaker 3: When we drafted Anthony back in two thousand and two, second round pick Notre Dame, I was the Midwest scout back then, so I knew a lot about Anthony back then. I always have had back then. He was tony but had a tremendous respect for him as a player. We drafted Ed Reid that for our first pick, and then Anthony Weaver was our second.
Speaker 2: It was our second round pick.
Speaker 3: Mike Nolan was our defensive coordinator, and our defense was pretty darn good that year, surprisingly pretty good. I knew he would be a great coach because the way he carries himself, his ability as a leader. I think his mentality is grinder mentality. The way that he carries himself every day is work ethic in a way that he would.
Speaker 2: Relate to the players. And so, you know, we brought him back.
Speaker 3: It was great to have him in the last couple of years as our d line coach and assistant head coach. I feel he's gonna be a head coach someday, and being it's right there for him, he's gonna do a remarkable job.
Speaker 2: I think down in.
Speaker 3: Miami players are gonna love him, the community is gonna love him. That defense is gonna be fast and furious, and I think he'll be a head coach before you know it.
Speaker 2: We've just texted great, great guy. I love.
Speaker 3: Odell has become a great friend of mine and a friend to the Ravens, And you know, I think we'll just kind of assess and see what happens over in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Well, Gino, I'm very proud of.
Speaker 3: You know, he was a seventh round pick and probably I mean, if Jamison is here, he'd probably chime in because he's a history you know, he fancies himself a historian.
Speaker 2: But you know, Gino might be the.
Speaker 3: Best seventh round pick that we've ever had. Playmaker, attitude, special teams, just an excellent season this.
Speaker 2: Year, been cut, been brought back.
Speaker 3: Just I love his his cerebral nature, I love his attitude on the field. He fancies himself an overachiever. I love that about him. He's you know, he's put himself in an awesome position. We're fortunate that we have some good safety depth, and I'm not really sure exactly what that means for Gino and the Ravens, but regardless, I know he's going to be a great pro. If he doesn't come back and play with us, he's going to be a great pick for some player, for somebody else, and I would expect him to have a great career. Right Well, I think we've got a great locker room, great coaching staff. We've built the team the right way, tremendous, tremendous pride for this team, and just you know, as hard as it is, really step back and look at this season, I would say it was a resounding success in many, many different ways. The locker room was crazy good, the personalities, the love that I think was felt every single day, the attitude that these guys brought, so that gives me great hope that our future is very bright. And we try to build this thing out so that we don't have windows opening and closing. And that's kind of been the Ravens mindset that we want to be a competitive, good team every single year.
Speaker 2: That's what we aspire too.
Speaker 3: And I think we have a lot of the types of people in that locker room still, and when we may have those type of guys to put us in a position to win every single year, it's always going to be a priority, Garrett.
Speaker 2: I think that's coach Harbaugh from two thousand and eight on. We have to have a.
Speaker 3: Big, strong, imposing offensive line, so we'll continue to build that out. Obviously, this year we're going to have probably some change on the offensive note in different ways to be seen exactly what that looks like. We will have a plan. Fortunately, this is a deep draft class as well, so we'll have a lot of different options in different rounds for players that we like at the offensive line position, at tackle and also guard. Probably unlikely that we're gonna draft a center very high, but I think there's a lot of depth along the way, specifically at the tackle position in the guard position.
Speaker 2: So that's exciting.
Speaker 3: It really helps me as we look at what that offensive line is going to look like.
Speaker 2: It will always have a plan. You know, we're gonna always have a plan.
Speaker 3: We're aware of the injuries and the salary cap, and we're aware of the talent that we have and the talent that's available, and we'll build the best offensive line that we can with the best players that we can. And you know, there's always gonna be you know, the roster is always gonna morph and change year to year. You've got to stay young, but you've also got to have great veteran presence as well your offensive line in every other position.
Speaker 2: So it's really a balance.
Speaker 3: You want to be as young as you can, but you also want to have a lot of veteran experience, and I think everybody feels that, and so It's really a delicate mix because with a salary cap, with a salary cap league, it makes it hard to keep every single player that you want to keep. We're not like the old I grew up a Cowboys fan, and you know we're not like the Dallas Cowboys of nineteen ninety, ninety two, ninety three. The salary cap changes things and that makes a lot more challenging. What was that question, Oh, oh man, Well, he's just one of my best friends.
Speaker 2: You know when we started, I think Joe started.
Speaker 3: In ninety eight, maybe ninety nine, and I was an office guy and a young scout and took Joe into my wing and we did a lot of stuff together. Our kids went to school together. He was my pickleball partner, sat next to me during the draft, helped me over the years, run the meetings, assess talent. Joe's got a great eye for talent. He'll do an amazing job as an evaluator for the Chargers. He's got good opinions, he's a consensus builder. The scouts are gonna love him, the coaches are gonna love working with him, and he's gonna do a fantastic job. And I think integrity is important to me. Passion for the game is important to me. Work, ethic, dependability, growth, mindset, grit, all those things factor in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's something that we really kind of focus on, you know. I mean, anyone can watch tape and assess how good a player can catch a football or bend his knees, or make a tackle in space or block somebody. But to me, the secret sauce is really knowing the person behind the tape, the personality of the player, how he carries himself day to day. What's he gonna do every day in the offseason, how is he gonna carry himself on the field, in the community.
Speaker 2: All those kinds of things are critically important.
Speaker 3: And really I think those are probably as important those factors as how a guy plays the game.
Speaker 2: I probably will yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: Next up, here's head coach John Harwall.
Speaker 4: Okay, good to see everybody. Tough act to.
Speaker 5: Be next to you over there, but appreciate you all being here. What questions you have place?
Speaker 4: Buckle up, you know he's he's gonna do great.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Actually, we've been together the last couple of days and and he's fired up and enthusiastic and uh, talking to players knows a lot of these guys, I guess. So it's it's been fun, he's he's he's wired, ready to go.
Speaker 5: What's that.
Speaker 4: I think he's excited about this. I think he's really excited about the Chargers. I think he's excited about the family.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: He just goes way back.
Speaker 4: Uh, he's got great relationships there, everybody in the building. Really, I think he's starting to build relationships with He's the guys he's brought over. He knows, you know, he's got comfort with that. Uh, loves the quarterback. So all those.
Speaker 2: Things like.
Speaker 4: Time, Yeah, I mean, I just depends on the person. I think most people I I kind of dispute that, I guess, but I've known my whole life, you know, So I think there's a lot of narratives out there and about a lot of people, you know, and uh, they just kind of pick up steam and everybody just kind of says, well, that's just how somebody is. And then you'll meet a person you'll be like a it's completely different than that, you know. So I don't know where so that stuff comes from. And nobody really cares, you know, I know he doesn't care. You get to know him I think you'll like him a lot.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I'm really excited about the coaches that we hired. You know, we had a lot of staff turnover. We had a we had we might go to be a head coach. We had Anthony and Dinard move on to be coordinators.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: We had a lot of inquiries about other coaches, uh, head coat coaches and otherwise coordinators. And so we had a lot of positions to fill, and I think we filled them with guys that are going to be great fits for us, that are gonna make us even better.
Speaker 5: What you try to do, we try to hire.
Speaker 4: Acquire the best players you can, hire the best coaches, you can, just build the best team that you can. And then you know, if it goes well, guys get an opportunity to go somewhere else and kind of you know, chase their career in advance, or players move on and sign for bigger contracts, or they get a new contract with you. That's all good stuff. It's not stuff that you sit back and you lamet and you say, well, how they're going to replace this guy or that guy. I mean, I think sixteen years we've had that same refrain after every single season and to me, it's a positive thing. So the guys coming in are gonna be amazing. I mean, Dennis Johnson with a D line from Baylor. You're going to see his energy and his fire, his attention to detailed guy Doug Mallory's are of the greatest secondary coaches in the world right now. I mean he fits us because he's been in a similar system for the last number of years, so he understands the way our system operates. That's gonna be a huge plus for us. Mark de Leon a coach's kid. But when you start listening to him buck Ball, he just he just blew me away with his knowledge and his you know, his relationships with players and his relationship with Rokwan. Just those three guys on defense, offense. You know we've done We've done a little bit there. Uh, assistant offensive line with Travelle Wharton coming in, former player. I just loved the interview with him and his relationship with players and his background with John Matsko and then with Juan Casteele. Uh, it makes him uniquely qualified to be with us. So just a lot of great coaches. Brian absolutely, Yeah, No, I'm just really excited about the guys we've got. I mean, every season is a new season, and that's just the way it works, you know. And I'm uh the guys that we have, our guys are gonna fit in well. And and you know, we're not going to change our defensive structure. We elevated Zach, so that's continuity there with what we're doing on defense. And we've had continuity with our defensive coordinator hires. It's two thousand and eight. That's that's been a trend. And I think where the where where they get to the least points in the leagues, it's two thousand and eight by far. So you know, we've got a little a little tradition going there. You know, we kind of have a pretty good feel for what we want to do on defense, and we want to just keep building on that, evolving it, getting better with it. Zach's the next guy in line to lead that, and those other guys are going to do a great job about hiring Chuck Smith last year. You know how good was that for us? So all those kind of things are really a big plus. And I think it's just part and parcel of the where it goes. Just think now you go, I'm trying to hire and think type of right, how Howbut is a competition.
Speaker 5: I think I can look at Church just.
Speaker 4: Right to Narden, Tennessee to add that Anthony and Miami. Uh, I don't know. That's a great question, you know. I think it's something that kind of happens in the in football, especially in the National Football League. It's definitely not something to be you know, sad about. I mean, it's definitely a good problem to have. But like anything, like one of our beliefs is you got you have to keep things moving all the time. You're always moving, you're always changing, you're always evolving, you're always growing, you're always expanding what you do.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Because the people that you're going against, these guys down this road right here, are are doing the same thing. And it's it's it's a big it's a high level intellectual pursuit, to.
Speaker 5: Be honest with you.
Speaker 4: So that's what we're gonna try to do again this year and do the best we can with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think Michael did great. You know, Mike's great. Uh.
Speaker 4: A couple of years ago, everybody was like, why Mike McDonald, you know, so now I can go well, that's why, you know, you saw it, and he's he's a great guy. He's a great coach.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: He's he's he's he's very diligent, you know, Yes, he's he's a smart, he's he's a he's a thoughtful but he's fundamentally grounded and he's very diligent.
Speaker 5: Every single day.
Speaker 4: All he thinks about is ways to you know, help the guys be as good as they can be or attack the offense that he's he's going against. And I do think he'll expand that into the role, you know, being a head coach. I think he'll take those qualities and apply him to being a head coach and do a great job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don Donnar was really with us the one year.
Speaker 4: Came in and kind of fit right into with the system and and and learned it and added to it, you know, those two things that you always want when you bring coaches in.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: He's a he's a great communicator, great teacher, very demanding coach, uh in a really good way, you know, in a way that I think guys respect. I'm sure he'll do a great job in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Anthony is Anthony is just an absolute uh star, you know, I mean, I think you probably got to know him a little bit. Well, you know him really well. But uh he's uh yeah, you see that, you see you see him. I mean he lights up a room just he's he fills up a room too, fills up a room and lights up a room.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: And then the way he reacts treats people, the ad responds to problems and uh, problem solving type of things.
Speaker 5: The way he coaches.
Speaker 4: The guy's way presents his understanding of defense generally, but also he's really good, I mean hig high level, but also his leadership ability, you know, and the way he manages players and coaches and works with the people. I just think he's a great leader, and I think I'll do a great job whatever he does. After I said it before, I mean, all these guys were talking about our potential head coaches John.
Speaker 2: John Olk having continuity on the couch just Capitlso having had some.
Speaker 1: Outside tiers and maybe made a splatch of the contents that you're doing.
Speaker 2: About out will in general is just about the challenge of passing why men, knowing who he's out there and knowing what you don't work to win, how it is and how easy your.
Speaker 3: Challenge hand that has approach to ron of you.
Speaker 2: Know, where the smart people are and when the plane or the league or from out here.
Speaker 4: Big challenge, big challenge. You've got to be very conscientious about that. You've got to you got to understand it's not really like it's a small world football, but it's a very sought after world. There's a lot of people trying to get in. There's a lot of talented people out there that could really make a difference, and you just got to figure out who they are. I had a great conversation. I hope coach Saban doesn't get mad at me for sharing this, but happened to talk to him about two weeks ago, and he was talking about all different things, and one of the things you talkalked about was all the coaching change he had over the last ten years because of their success. I mean, coaches would come and be there a year or two, then they'd go get a head coaching job, look at Sark, you know, and others. So he just felt like the challenge of finding new coaches, hiring new coaches, especially as you get a little bit older, like when you're young, you're thirty five, you kind of know who all the thirty five year old coaches are. Now you get to be your sixties or seventies in coaches case, you know, you probably know the sixties and seventy year old coaches are, but you don't know the thirty five year old coaches as much. And then he had to train those guys every single year. I think that does become a big challenge of success. Nobody had at a higher level than him, So that's that's a huge part of it. That's such a great question. How do you evaluate quarterbacks? I'll tell you to me, it's like and I think it's kind of just the way the game has gone. We've expanded our view of what a quarterback is. So it's most obvious with Lamar, Like I think we obviously would anybody say we made a bad decision when we drafted him back in twenty eight team, but but at the time there was a lot of people saying that. So I think the view has changed a lot in terms of how we how we view athletes or people or whatever.
Speaker 5: In terms of their roles.
Speaker 4: And it's just a it's a it's a the game has changed because of that in the last six years, the way quarterbacks play, I think if you go back and you look at football in sixteen fifteen, sixteen seventeen or before that, there's pretty much a model for that position. That model has definitely, when you say, expanded tremendously. And to me, I would like to say, we were a littlehead of the curve on that. You know, but even even we're learning as we go and watch guys play, and you watch watch all these guys play. I mean the way two gets the ball out so fast. You know, how can we incorporate some of that stuff into our offense. It's just one example. Eric's an avid reader and he shares those messages with the team.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh, he must do it one on one because I'm not getting the messages I want. I want some messages from I see the books, but uh, I need to get some book book recommendations from Eric. Eric's a super uh smart, thoughtful, deep thinking kind of a person, and I think he's wide read. Yeah, on a lot of topics. When he has time, he's probably a little more. You know, after the draft and before the draft, I would saycause I'll see him doing too much reading now, not in his office. I see him on that tape a lot, so Uh, but uh, he's just been unbelievable. Manus Eric is a great general manager, well rounded every aspect of it. He is involved with the players, he does a great job. He's involved with our discipline program, all those different.
Speaker 5: Kind of things.
Speaker 4: I think he's just really special in a lot of ways. How important is running backs?
Speaker 5: Running back your guys? Yeah, up in the air, it's up.
Speaker 2: In the air.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't have uh, we don't have uh a lot of guys under contract right now. We've got Justice. Just love the way Justice played. He was incredible all year, took another step. I think he's a great player. Then after that, we just got to see him. And we'd love to get Gus back, you know, j Case floating around out there, just guys have been with us. Uh, we'll just have to see how it goes. How important is the degree of conflict and personnel A degree? Oh well, yeah, I mean you know, if everybody if you don't, I mean, if everybody agrees, then you're probably wrong, right, I mean, that's that's for sure.
Speaker 5: So uh, we we have a lot of that, but it's respectful.
Speaker 4: Our our draft room is uh is uh, you know, say what you think or forever hold your piece, you know, and everybody says what they think, nobody's ever holding their piece, and it's not peaceful, you know, it's not. But the conflict is good. We try to We try to confront everything, every aspect of our football, of our evaluations, of our scheme, of our everything we do football ways. We try to confront it together to make it better. We're not confronting one another ever, We're confronting the issues, especially the top of.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 5: You know, I don't know, I.
Speaker 4: Really wouldn't to be honest with you, because it's just like it's nothing. It's nothing that we really As a head coach of the Baltimore Ravens, I'm not really doing that. I'm not really evaluating the class per se.
Speaker 5: I know c J.
Speaker 4: Strout was really tough to play against. We didn't get a chance to play against Carolina, so it's harder for me to say.
Speaker 5: But CJ.
Speaker 4: Stroud, you know, I said it after the first game we played them in the opener. This team is gonna win a lot of games. And I'd like to remind everybody of that right now, because they won a lot of games, right so, uh, They've got a very talented team. I think I think I think their general managers outstanding. I think they're head coach is outstanding. Uh They've got a great staff and they've built a heck of a football team. But the quarterback is really important, right.
Speaker 2: And C J.
Speaker 4: Stroud is a is a is a star. I don't have any idea about that. I really don't even try to evaluate that because, uh, well, I think it's great. I mean, we try to gym and I share like a lot of conversations about a lot of things. You know, most of it's not football related obviously, just like with your family, but a lot of it has been football related. Because you know, he's been in Michigan. That's definitely gonna be different like it was when he was at San Francisco. There's things we'll talk about, you know, and we're definitely gonna continue to be brothers. You know, we're gonna try to you know, we're just gonna be brothers. I mean, you have to, you have to look at it that way. But we are going to be competitors too, so it'll probably change a little bit.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I absolutely think that, Yeah that I think you're exactly right about that.
Speaker 5: Just now I think it progressed naturally. We're just beginning. We're just starting.
Speaker 4: We're one year into this thing. There's so many were There's so many things that I feel like, looking back on it now, we just they.
Speaker 5: Actually were baby steps.
Speaker 4: They were hard steps for us to take because it's it was a sea change in terms of offensive philosophy, Yet they were baby steps. Looking back on them, we have so so far ago. Lamar is excited, Todd's excited, all the coaches.
Speaker 5: We have a plan.
Speaker 4: We came out the very first day after the AFC Championship game talking about where we were going to go offensively, and a staff staff meeting about it, met with Todd, met with all the coaches individually, met with Lamar a couple of days after that, met with different.
Speaker 5: Players, and we have a direction right now and where we want to go. And we want to think. We want to be tight, we want to be locked in.
Speaker 4: We want to understand how this offense applies to Lamar and our players, and we want to do right by our players. And we want to do right by Lamar and build the best operation that we can for him, so so his talents can really shine. And I think we're just starting with that.
Speaker 2: Those guys specially to take next steps.
Speaker 4: Well, I think Rashon Batman is going to take a big step. Just off the top of my head, you know, I think Rashad is going to get opportunities.
Speaker 2: This year.
Speaker 4: He ran routes really well. He worked super hard. He was healthy for the first time. Even as the year went on, he got healthier, and you could see it in his play.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The ball got to him when he did. He made some great plays. The ball is gonna get to him a lot more next year. He's gonna be ready to go.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: We got Nelson back. Nelson is a big signing back. He played a big role last year. Of course, it speaks. He speaks for himself. We got Tie in there. Thailand did a good job.
Speaker 2: Then.
Speaker 4: You never know a guy like Odell. I know that probably a question people are asking. I've got my fingers crossed.
Speaker 5: We'll see.
Speaker 4: That's kind of out there. Those are those things that kind of kind of answer themselves in time. I love our tight ends as receivers, so all that is.
Speaker 5: Really part of it. Yeah, Yeah, the draft can help a lot.
Speaker 4: Uh, certainly with the offensive line, Jeff, I guess it's a good well, I just started watching it, so it's so far, so good, you know, and Eric tells me it's a good old line draft.
Speaker 5: That's why.
Speaker 4: Thing about the offensive line is where it starts. We talked about that in two thousand and eight. It's been true forever. You know, you went into trenches first, right, So we we think that we're offensive line centric in our philosophy, and we've got some question marks in our offensive line. So there's gonna be some rebuilding that's gonna have to be done in there, and we're getting to it already. It's gonna be really probably the most important thing we do on offense. Roquan Smith has made a sea change in our defense. I think that Rokwan kind of to kind of just tied it all together, you know what I mean. He made He made it all kind of fit and makes sense. We were doing the same things on defense that we were doing when we rokone got here, and we were doing pretty well. We're getting better as that season went a long, but everybody saw it. When he got here. It changed, made everybody better around him, and it's only gotten better since. So Yeah, Rokwan, love him, love him one. Of the best, your buddy Mike thom and Mike and off the back and Betty, did you ever believe that when you were little bad and.
Speaker 5: Not having him on the other side? No, and no, no one, no pretty click.
Speaker 4: I had much respect, much love for coach Tomlin, for the Steelers organization, for the players.
Speaker 5: I mean Cam Hayward.
Speaker 4: I was at Pittsburgh as a young coach graduate assistant coach when his dad was the running back there, Iron HD Heyward. I saw him first guy ever, three hundred plus pounds leap a BYU defensive back down the sideline and run another forty yards for a touchdown. And I think he kind of epitomizes them now as well their traditions. So yeah, I'd say, yeah, exactly. No one know to both those questions. All set, Thank you, okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: And if you want our analysis of what Harves and DC had to say at the combine, make sure you tune into the lounge for myself, ran Ink and Garrett down and we'll break that all down for you and we'll have plenty more coverage coming from Indianapolis.