Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media. Hey Jamie.
Speaker 2: Here a quick note if you're listening to this episode. This is part two of the Dodson Siblings series on sixteenth Minute, So if you haven't listened already, please go back to episode one to hear the summary of the story and my interview with Kevin Ampon Dodson. Thank you, thank you, Hello, and welcome back to sixteenth Minute, the podcast where we take a closer look at Internet characters of the day and what that says about us and the Internet and us on the Internet. My name is Jamie Loftus, but if my mom had her way, it would have been Randy.
Speaker 3: With an I.
Speaker 2: Fortunately she saw porcelain doll on QVC named Jamie, and here we are. This is part two of sixteenth Minutes. First story about Kelly and Antoine Dotson, who first came to prominence in the summer of twenty ten after they appeared on the news in Huntsville, Alabama. The story focused on an attempted rape. Kelly Dotson and her family reported that a man broke into their home in the projects in the middle of the night while her brother and young daughter were home, and the rapist then escaped out A second floor window. When Antoine came to Kelly's aid quick refresher. Here's the original clip and mark the woman.
Speaker 4: The victim tells us that a man broke into her house and tried to rape her.
Speaker 5: Her brother went in and he tried to help around, but the man got away, leaving behind though evidence of his visit. Awaine Don said, heard his sister screamed and ran to help.
Speaker 4: Well, obviously we have a rapist in Lincoln Park.
Speaker 6: He's climbing in your windows.
Speaker 7: He's snatching your people up, trying to rape them.
Speaker 5: So y'all needs a had your kids, had your wife and Hadjehod because they raping everybody out here.
Speaker 2: And if you need more of a brush up than that, please go back to part one of this episode. This clip was famously remixed in a YouTube series called Auto Tune the News by the Gregory Brothers and became an international sensation, with Antoine Dotson making appearances in entertainment for the next decade and a half, including I Guess here You can hear my interview with Kevin in part one, where he reflects on his life prior to the news clip and what it looked like afterward and into today. But already we're talking a lot about Antoine, and that's what I want to discuss in part two of this series. The bead Intruder story was very quickly pivoted to Antoine Dotson, slowly edging Kelly Dotson out of the story altogether. In this episode, I'd like to examine that more closely. And just a note, in keeping with my interview with Kevin Antoine Dotson where he refers to Antoine as an alter ego, I'll be referring to him as Kevin for Part two. I can't, in good faith but grudge Kevin for wanting to leverage his online fame, even if, as he admits, it wasn't always completely honest, because it's not his fault that he was framed in the way he was, or that he was essentially chosen as the protagonist by the media and by the Internet. And what's more, he was the sibling that seemed more interested in capitalizing on this notoriety. While there's plenty of examples of the press being interested in Kelly, the feeling never appeared to be very mutual. I wasn't able to get in touch with Kelly Dotson, But if she ever chooses to speak on the internet cyclone that surrounded an assault on her in the future. That's her call. If she doesn't want to revisit that time. It makes total sense and people should respect that. But the fact remains from the very beginning, it was Kelly who was consistently getting lost in a story that was about her, a black woman who had reported a violent rape attempt while her daughter and brother were in the house. I mean, she says so herself in this clip from Judge Jerry Springer in twenty twenty one. And keep in mind, Kevin confirmed that most of this was put on in terms of there being any actual conflict between them, But Kelly is very adamant about her part in the story being erased, and to me it sounds very sincere.
Speaker 4: I want him to like put on my shoe for once. You know what I'm saying, Like you know what I've been through these last eleven years since this attack. All is business antwinas Antwina, even when I'm will we together, we go out and pub but we can't even sit down and enjoy our mires or not because why people want to take picture's way Antoine, Antoine, It's all about Antoine what about me. I'm the victim. Oh, yes, yes, it is like that. I'm the victim because it's all it's always about anton House, Antoine doing. He's fine, he's living, He's not the victim.
Speaker 1: He didn't get it hurt.
Speaker 2: I don't think we should ignore it. Kelly's treatment from moment one clocks is pretty straightforward massage noir and ingrained prejudice and dismissal of black women. When this clip went viral almost fifteen years ago, it was seamlessly accepted, including by high school me, that it was okay to mock a black woman quite literally going public with a rape allegation and turning it into this joke. Very few people asked if Kelly Dodson was okay at this time. I mean, I wasn't even completely sure that the bed Intruder boxing match was fake until I confirmed it with Kevin. And so it's this combination of race, class, and gender discrimination that leads to Kelly getting sidelined. And when it comes to what Kevin refers to as the character of Antoine Dodson, there's a lot of telling markers on how media from a white lens use and commodifies blackness and in Antoine's case, black queerness as well, because even as years past after this story, Antoine was interrogated about his sexuality consistently, as if it had to do with anything. There's way more to dig into here. Unfortunately, someone way smarter than me has already written brilliantly on this very topic, so let's get him in here. Professor Gabriel Peoples is an assistant professor in the Gender Studies Department at Indiana University Bloomington and is the author of The Forgotten Kelly Dodson, Viral Performance and the Interplay of Excess and Erasure, and he's currently in the process of completing his book Go in Viral Uncontrollable Black Performance. I really loved his piece and I was lucky to get a chance to talk with him. Welcome back to sixteenth minute. I grew up without a bedroom door and it shows in my personality.
Speaker 8: Here's our talk.
Speaker 5: I'm Gabriel Allen Peebles. I am a assistant professor of Gender Studies at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. Also a DJ, and I've been djaying longer than I have been teaching.
Speaker 2: I did not know you're a DJ, and as a comedian turned attempted thinker. I appreciate that narrative to you. So I wanted to start by asking you what was your memory of the Dodson's becoming viral stars at the time in twenty ten.
Speaker 5: You know, the memory is different than the history of the event, right, Yeah. I want to say that I was living in Atlanta, Georgia at the time, and no, actually I was there.
Speaker 6: That's all that.
Speaker 5: I was in Atlanta and this thing just started moving online. Like I can't really explain what was going on. I received it from a friend, like just the link, and I looked, and I want to say, this was when it was on YouTube, and it was just.
Speaker 6: The newscast, and I was curious.
Speaker 5: I was just like, and I think it was a summer, you know, I'm thinking it must have.
Speaker 6: Been July or something like that.
Speaker 5: And I'm looking and I'm like, I didn't know if this was a parody or if this was like a real thing. And toward the end, I felt like, I think this is a real thing. But I had to watch it again because and I think that there was something about that. If we can, you know, return to the confusion I had around if this was real or not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I just remember it being hot.
Speaker 5: And I'm trying to maintain my ac control the bills, and I get this thing and I'm like, I'm like, what is this. I look at it and I'm like, okay, I'm going to remember this. Like I think I just set it aside. But I was just like I was disturbed, you know, because I at first I couldn't tell what was real. And then when I kind of figured out what was real, I started to look more into it. So it was like the research started. I mean, I wasn't even interested in research proper like that. I just had to know, right.
Speaker 2: So this is like a ten years in the making piece. I really appreciated your piece. You really carefully traced how this story even got on YouTube in the first place, because this was before any news stations were really uploading their own broadcasts, Like you know, someone ripped it, posted it to Reddit and then to YouTube. In the news clip, you sort of break down a lot of what is being done to already begin this marginalization process. Can you talk me through that a little bit?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, for me, it was the visual techniques that they were using, which I thought were dangerous particularly because the entire encounter was based upon the sexual assault of Kelly Dotson, and one of the things that happens in the news broadcast is that they zoom in to the location of the assault in a way that I guess is common on the news, but at the same time rendered or occurred to me as being insensitive, insensitive as to perhaps the insecurities that allowed this to happen in the first place, and also not being aware of how they are exposing this very location. So if somebody wanted to maybe it was somebody different, if they wanted to try something out, they knew exactly where to go that you know, had the thin veil of security that might allow them to get into somebody's home and violate, right. And I felt like, you know, everything that I've seen, it was like I've seen this before, or I understood this about the people being represented already.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So these notions around kind of like public and private, around even just property in and of itself, right, I think has a legacy, particularly when we're thinking about black people in the United States, who at one point were being ensured as property. And so these kind of affordances of public life private life already you know, there's a there's a legacy that dictates it's not something that is afforded to black people in the United States. And it felt like a moment whereby it was a moment that was proving the connections right to those kinds of moments.
Speaker 6: And even still, right after all of that, if you were to.
Speaker 5: Add up the amount of time that Kelly Dotson spoke and this is nothing against the family, this is all about editing, this is all about while forty eight news. If you added up the amount of time that Kelly Dotson spoke as the person that experienced the violation, the violence, and the amount of time that Antoine Dotson spoke, right, it kind of begins this domino effect that I get into further in the book, but that ultimately continues this kind of erasure of Kelly Dotson, right, Yeah, and I you know, but at the same time, right, as a black performance theorist, I'm also very interested in agency, as limited as it may be, and the possibilities that Kelly Dotson is also very aware of what's going on, right and perhaps pushing back against being kind of like centralized, being made spectacular, particularly in her position as a black woman in the United States.
Speaker 2: Could you sort of walk me through how you define viral performance.
Speaker 5: I would like to say that that is not my term. So viral performance is, I would say, belongs to Miriam Felton Danski, who is really locating it within intentional performances that artists take that then spread uncontrollably, right, either in terms of people hearing about a computer virus that got out, that got out of control because artists invited people to interact with this computer and then like spread a rumor. You know, it could be like even on that level, right, but it's about intentionality and then kind of like to spread that results. And my thing was to as I'm writing this, I'm trying to think about, okay, like what continues in that vein right when I'm looking at this moment, but also what's very different And for me that came back to in a large way blackness, right, And so we kind of tabled something earlier in the interview, which is when I first see this newscast, I'm thinking, I don't know, it just feels too familiar. And I think that this was because as an African American in the United States, myself having been inundated with news media. I was familiar with these types of depictions of black people in the news, almost to the extent that I thought it was a parody. You know, you have to understand that, like I'm encountering it like that. So then when I'm thinking about black virality, I'm thinking about how that knowledge right of this representation already existed for me. Right, This sets it apart to me from the ways that I might think about it as merely a viral performance, because it's always it's almost like they're already viral before you encounter them, right, we already for some reason, I already know something about this, and then the thing happens. Then it spreads as a result of this particular newscast, and it goes viral in the ways that you and I have come to understand, right, particularly around viral videos. So I think that for me, black virality really distinguishes. Going viral is an ongoing phenomenon, particularly when we're talking about representations of black people or literal black people, And so it's about it's the way that a rapid circulation of black performance happens that spreads uncontrollably afterwards, right, And then it becomes commonplace as a result of that spread. So in some ways, it's very similar to viral performance. Right, there's a rapid ubiquity that I think both of them share. But for me, viral performance doesn't exactly capture the ways that Black people and representations of Black people are already marked before they ever go viral. That then marks them further. Also, Black virality for me is capturing the black ways that performances go viral, even this particular moment. Right, Eventually it gets on to World Star hip Hop. It's doing some different things on World Star hip Hop than it does on YouTube, and so you know, it's thinking about that. It's thinking about the ways that death and birth are simultaneous, and Black cultures around the world, it's an African diasporic ethos. There is no birth without death.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: It's almost like the newscast died at the same time the remix was birthed, you know what I mean, And then the remix died, and then it keeps going. This particular performance, it keeps going right again, right, black ways that we're experiencing rapid ubiquity when it comes to performances, right, And so that's kind of how I'm arriving to that right, I'm like looking at this viral performance and I'm like, Okay, there's some things happening here, and how do I account for the differences.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more of my talk with Professor Peoples. Welcome back to sixteenth minute. One time my coworker at a haunted hay ride almost got struck by lightning.
Speaker 3: She was fine.
Speaker 2: Dangerous job though, and we are talking about the phenomenon that was the Dodson siblings saga with Professor Gabriel Peoples. Here's the rest of our talk. You unpack all of the ways in which already moment one, when this airs on LAT forty eight, Kelly Dotson is already being edged out of the story because, like you saying, I mean, Antoine Dotson has no way of knowing how this is going to be edited. Who's I mean? The editor could have not you know, could have included one line from him. They could have included nothing and just totally centered Kelly, Like, there's so many different ways could have gone for you. Why why does the NewsLens switch to Antoine and why does that sort of, at least in my perspective, he continued doubling down and down and down, because by the time you get to the remix, Kelly is barely there, like she it's just one sentence from her.
Speaker 5: Right, And even by the time we get to that Reddit meme, you don't even see her. Right, there's a I mean a lot of this is about legacy, right, which again, like is another way that I'm or another thing that I use.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So ghetto witness right is about how particular kinds of people are found to give testimony to a trauma that they've witnessed or experienced, right, And the news seeks folks out right, And I think that there's a way that me seeing that before, right, it helps me to it helps me to think about legacy in this moment.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So you have how black people, particularly how black gay men have been used as comic relief. So that's happening, So let's hold that in our minds.
Speaker 6: And then at the same.
Speaker 5: Time, you have this legacy of black women being inviolable subjects, right, So folks who cannot be violated, right, which is also tethered to these toxic ideas about their own sexuality and the ways that they are imagined to be particularly licentious, therefore a rape can't happen, and it's president in fiction and nonfiction right in terms of the ways that black women have been historically right noted or or recorded in particular kinds of instances, the ways that they've been figuratively imagined that are also linked to those real historical instances of being in violable subject This is also tethered right to the ways that black men are seen as particularly endowed. Angela Davis really helps us to point to these connections, and there's so you have all of these kind of legacies happening, right. This is the knowledge, if you will, that's being brought to this moment before it even goes viral.
Speaker 2: When it truly clicked for me was when you learn that this first kind of took off on our slash funny, where you know that so clearly demonstrates how seriously a good portion of the internet audience at this time was taking Kelly and taking the allegation was it went from zero to funny because of it, And a lot of that does seem to have to do with how the broadcast was edited.
Speaker 5: Yeah, within this, you know what it's said to be a community of communities, right, one of these communities is the subreddit funny, and whoever saw this wild forty eight newscast somehow digitized it and put it online in this subreddit, right because they thought it was funny. I just had all these moments of pause where I was like, Okay, slow down, let's let's slow down and look at what is happening. There's so much, right, So even even kind of like in terms of what was unfolding that day, I came to understand, I think, just minimally, right, Antoine Dotson's sister Kelly Dotson being violated in the same home that they were both in. It was enough for Antoine to want to respond the way that he responded. But then on top of that, there were things happening around the scene of the interview that even further gave him this kind of like righteous indignation that he has. And it comes back to something that you mentioned, right, It's just like people not being believed, right, particularly black women not being believed when they experienced sexual violence.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: So there was another woman, I'm assuming she lived in the community, who was basically saying, this never.
Speaker 6: Happened in our community.
Speaker 5: Okay, does that negate the reality that I experienced. Right, That's what I'm thinking. I'm imagining, right, these might.
Speaker 6: Be some thoughts going on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so and then Moore, even the people in the complex, in the housing complex, they didn't take it seriously either, right, So they brought this to the attention of I mean, it wasn't like a front desk, but it was like the main adamin. I mean, they kind of they kind of laughed in their faces. So by the time while forty eight News, you know, is like okay, let's interview you, they had spoken to the housing administration, they already filed a police report. At some point this other lady pops up, Oh, this is never this never happened in our community. I mean, you didn't really need a lot more to make that more of a you know, make it more of a powder keg. And so anyway, I'm thinking about the viral afterlife as connected to black virality, right, because again, like I said, there's this kind of like cosmographic understanding of life and various religious and spiritual practic throughout the world where it's kind of like you die in the terrestrial and your birth and the spiritual at the same exact time, right, And I'm taking I'm taking this knowledge and I'm thinking about, like, how is this playing out in this realm of of virality?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: And so it's kind of like I pointed to that fire fraud moment, because this is a point where, like with the Viral Afterlife, you're talking about the ways that something goes viral, perhaps reaches a peak or a climax, and then it's like we almost don't hear about it again, but then we do, and it might be in a different form, right, And sometimes what we hear about after the climax goes beyond the climax, and sometimes it doesn't. And so Viral Afterlife is taking account of that. You can say, I'm giving folks language to think about, you know, how can we think about like this thing that's been rapidly circulated that a lot of people knew about at a particular moment in time, and then that thing kind of like comes back up years later. And when that thing is black, it just adds, it adds to the layers we have to dissect to understand what is really what is really happening in front of us, Right. So, and I explore this a bit more at length in the in the book, even in particular relationship to this moment that we're talking about on the newscast, right, So, the Gregory Brothers they continued in the same vein of kind of like finding these folks who are giving testimony in their own sincere kind of way auto tuning them, and then you know, just putting it out broadcasting themselves.
Speaker 6: Right as YouTube encourages you to do.
Speaker 5: And so I was shocked to see that they were on the credits for The Unbreakable Kimmy Smith. I know, yeah, you know if this is not the exact same thing, right, but in a completely fictional sense, not to mention the girl that's found underground is in this cult in Indiana, right, oh, Indiana.
Speaker 2: It all connects.
Speaker 5: But you know it's like when she emerges, a black man sees her, right, and then the news just goes to find this black man and then his vocals turned from I think they're immediately auto tuned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not mistaken, especially because I didn't realize until I was researching this episode that that theme song was literally made by the Gregory Brothers. So it couldn't be clearer what's happening there.
Speaker 5: And you're pointing to another thing, right, which is the Black ways of going viral. Right, But there's a certain thing around vernacular. Not to necessarily tie it tie vernacular in a very particular way to black people, because as we know, that's of fiction anyway, right, Like, not only can people style switch when they speak, but oftentimes this stuff is cultural in terms of like how people sound.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: But if he starts that thing off by saying what had happened was there's a certain kind of like, I mean way that we have to understand that as being a black for a black vernacular phenomenon. I mean, there is such a thing as ebonics, right, they teach I don't know if they still teach it. But when I went to the University of Michigan as an undergrad, they were teaching in a bonics class and one of my friends took it, and she basically told me that everybody that didn't grow up around black cultures were failing that class horribly, right. They couldn't understand the formula, the formulas and the mathematics, the syntax. These Black ways of going viral actually become less of a theory and more of a reality when you start to get into the ways people are commenting on these viral performances, which you will often run into on comment walls. Something else I get into in the book the article, though, I'm really trying to just focus on before any of this travels, right, because black virality is also about how black performance travels.
Speaker 6: What all is happening? You know?
Speaker 5: So yeah, how can we before we get there? If we slow this moment down what all is happening? And then once we do that, we kind of understand how the rest of it can materialize. But you don't know unless you slow down this moment in the beginning, right, right, So slowing it down, it was like I've found some stuff on Facebook right where Antoine Dotson was just like, do y'all think this is a joke? And that gave me pause, and it also it reinforced the feeling that I was getting, like when then running across the auto tuned video, I was just like, something felt very about it actually to me. Yeah, and so it was reaffirming to also notice that Antoine Dotson found something in that too.
Speaker 6: Right. But Antoine is a businessman.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I mean he's literally in community college taking a mazuring in business. I want to say so It's like I think he was wrestling with multiple things. It was like recognizing the kind of moment that this could be, which he wouldn't be the first. Even in that reference that I gave you about leper count and Mobile, I think it was Mobile, Alabama, where there's these newscasters that go into this neighborhood, interviewing so many people in the neighborhood, and this guy is like, this is the agency, right that I'm that I'm wrestling with. Particularly when we're thinking about black virality, It's like black people they know the game, right, Like, you know, if they're living in subsidized housing at this moment in their life, there might be a point of recognizing, hey, this might be a moment where we can leverage it to get out of here, right right, right, too much chagrin of you know a lot of other folks that get mentioned, and you know, as this thing unfolds, right, the random black folks like me who are encountering this, and they're like, for whatever reason, they're feeling embarrassed, right, And so I'm inquiring about that, why are you? Like, why are you feeling embarrassed? Like I'm thinking, I'm trying to think about this, right, But it's like, when you've seen this particular scenario over and over and over again, there's a point where you tire of it.
Speaker 6: There's a point where.
Speaker 5: You recognize what it is that is attempting to be done and capitalized on. It's also appropriatet of right, because it's kind of like this recognition of the currency of blackness, but almost at the expense of the ways that we the rich ways that we can understand black people. And so it's hard to wrestle with because on an individual level, it's like, hey, I can use this to get out of here. On a collective level, there's also that recognition that, like they're taking this to be a joke, aren't they right? You know, But there's always kind of like that cleverness, right of like okay, well, how can I use this to my advantage? This is this is the black objecthood of this moment.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: The ways that people go viral are going to constantly increase, Right, the ways that black virality is experienced is going to constantly increase or change. Right, the mechanisms there's always a new mechanism being created to allow this. Yet until we kind of grapple with the very things that are you could say, variables if you will, in that virality in our regular, everyday irl. Right, it's not going to really shift. Some might say that it's gotten worse.
Speaker 2: Is there anything I didn't ask or touch on about Kelly Dodson and this story in particular that you would like to touch on?
Speaker 5: I mean, for me, I find it intriguing that, just as far as everything you've come across as well, to a large extent, Kelly Dotson tries to remain out of the spotlight, just because that's what I was picking up on myself, right, and I was, you know, I just wanted to emphasize that this too is feminism, is black feminism, right, the recognition of the of the camera, if you will, but also the recognition of everything that's happening outside of it, and the strength of that right and perhaps remaining outside of the camera in order to avoid some of the pitfalls of being made spectacular, right, of which there's so many examples of. I think there was a moment right where it was important to voice what happened. It was confronting something, right, it was I mean, the ways that sexual violence oftentimes is silenced and subjugated in order for the collective, in terms of a particular Black community, a particular Black family, in order for that collective to not kind of fall into these already pre existing stereotypes whereby people are already thinking they're hyper sexual in their criminal right. And this is a moment where that family stood up to that very tension. And I think that's important, you know, because a lot of things happen as a.
Speaker 6: Result, and people saw that.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is a phenomenon in our community right now. It tethered previous violences that were happening in Huntsville, Alabama, in that particular subsidized housing complex, and it kind of like gestured toward the other folks that exist out there who are actually being like experiencing rape right or sexual assault and can't or won't for various reasons, express that violence that they encounter. And it's kind of like an example of like what happens when you do right.
Speaker 6: You might be able to.
Speaker 5: Get extricate yourself from that moment of violence or from that scene of violence, that environment that enabled the violence. You might also be able to, in staying out of the spotlight, suggest something about your awareness of what the spotlight can do to black bodies right what it has done.
Speaker 6: My book is called Going.
Speaker 5: Viral Uncontrollable Black Performance, and it's going to be published by the University of Illinois Press in their New Black Studies series, and it essentially covers black people or representations of black people that have gone viral between the eighteenth century to the present, and it thinks about what they do when reaching those peak levels of visibility with that visibility, right, and so how they can actually leverage it for liberation in different kinds of ways, on individual levels and on collective levels. And I go from the conceptual photography and images and and even jewelry making of Hank Willis Thomas, the presence in the performance of Radio Raheem and do the right thing.
Speaker 6: Everything we just talked about, but a lot more.
Speaker 5: In reference to the newscast in twenty ten that went viral, the remix video attested to that, and then kind of like the viral afterlife of all of that moment.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Putting this episode together has been really fun and really challenging, and I'm just so glad to have your voice in it. Thank you so much to Professor Peoples for speaking with me, and I cannot wait for when his book go in viral Uncontrollable Black Performance releases in spring twenty twenty five. I wanted to start with the Dodson story because it marked a moment that's pretty rare on the Internet these days, a genuine monocultural moment. It took these normal people and thrust them into the spotlight. That happens is always telling about the time and place you're in, and not just how the public reacts, but how the subjects themselves react, because this level of sudden notoriety is just not something humans were made to be able to process. And even though the stories can feel a little dated, they bring out what Professor Peoples was talking about, these age old prejudices and dismissals. Kelly's erasure from the story is not something unique through the twenty first century. It's built on centuries of dismissal of black women. Antoine's elevation is not something unique to the twenty first century. The way black queermen have been treated by the public has always been pointed, and seeing him have the reins on his own narrative after all these years makes a special kind of person, and so long may the Dodson siblings reign, even if that means different things for each of them. Dodson's your sixteenth minute ends.
Speaker 1: Now Le's done. Okay.
Speaker 3: So at the end of every single episode of this show, I just want to take a moment for whatever I want, whatever feels good, whatever feels right. And so for our inaugural moment of whatever I want, here are my parents trying to explain what they think this show is about. Enjoy see you next week.
Speaker 1: What if I asked you to describe what you think the show is about? Can you do that?
Speaker 8: I believe the sixteenth minute refers to the widely known concept of fifteen minutes of fame. But when that light begins to douse, what are they doing thereafter?
Speaker 1: Great? Great answer? Are you prepared to give an answer? Okay? So in your mind, what is sixteenth minute the show about?
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 7: That whole fifteen minutes? Everyone's famous fifteen minutes, or so said Andy war We think, but sometimes it lasts more. Maybe it goes into a sixteenth minute or seventeenth Maybe that's the show.
Speaker 2: Well, seventeenth would be kind of someone else's business, But I'm trying to sixteenth feels that's the one I'm in charge of.
Speaker 1: All Right, great answers, Everybody, great answers. Okay, see you next week.
Speaker 2: Sixteenth Minute is a production of fool Zone Media and iHeartRadio. It is written, posted, and produced by.
Speaker 3: Me Jamie Loftus.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Sophie Lichtterman and Robert Evans. The amazing Ian Johnson is our supervising producer and our editor. Our theme song is by Sad thirteen and Pet. Shout outs to our dog producer Anderson, my Kat's Flee and Casper and my pet rock Bird who will outlive us all Bye.