Speaker 1: Welcome to Bill and Juliana the podcast.
Speaker 2: All Right, you guys, this is the reason I wanted to have a podcast is to interview doctor Aimon. I'm not kidding you right now. This was literally the reason I was like, Bill, we need a podcast. Doctor Amen is a psychiatrist. He's a brain health expert. He specializes in all sorts of things including ADHD, anxiety, and depression. And he literally, especially now that we're talking about it, your phone will hear this and he will pop up on your feed and give you the most incredible information that you will share with your friends, share with your family. And also it gives you a lot of insight into yourself. You're gonna be like, wait a second, that's me that he's talking.
Speaker 3: And if you're not on Instagram. He's also written forty books. Yeah, so you can just search doctor Aimon and I'm sure there's a book that will fit any need.
Speaker 1: That you have.
Speaker 2: And he is the pioneer of the specked brain imaging for mental health. As Bill mentioned, Yeah, forty plus books, you guys on brain optimization. So this is the man with the answer a lot of questions, a lot of questions, and a lot of our questions are probably very similar to all of yours out there. So let's welcome doctor Amen. Doctor is so good to see you.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 5: I'm so excited to talk about brain health and your brains.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Well we already so, so you guys know listening. We already did scans Bill and I, so we're going to get into those in a second, because we have no idea what the results of those scans are. We did them at doctor Aman's clinic. He has clinics all around the country. We did the one here in Chicago. It was very easy. We'll get into our process in a little bit because I think a lot of people are really interested in what these brain scans are and how to get them done and what it's like getting them done. So we'll talk about that. We're going to get our results in a second. But Bill, you know doctor Aman from back in the day and then you met him years ago.
Speaker 3: I met doctor Aman, I guess eighteen years ago. Seventeen years ago, Lisa Gibbons and I had a show that was syndicated called America Now, and it was one of the segments we did and it was really fascinating, and he was able to determine that I had a concussion as a young child. Wow, just from the brain scan, I had a concussion when I was five years old. I was I decided I want to dunk a basketball and there was a station wagon parked in the driveway by the basketball hoop. So I climbed on the roof of the station wagon, grabbed the basketball, ran off, hooked my leg on the luggage rack, and landed on my head.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I was in the hospital for two weeks as a result of that at five years old.
Speaker 2: And you never even told him that, I don't tell him no. Isn't that interesting? We wanted to narrow this episode down. Do I have adult ADHD? Because we are seeing a lot of our children are being diagnosed with it, and then a lot of people are seeing in their adult years that wait a second, my kid has it. I think I might have too. I was just never diagnosed. So let's dive into adult ADHD. What's the story there? Are you feeling like you're seeing more and more people talking about this and curious about this?
Speaker 5: So you know, I'm also a child psychiatrist and I trained in the middle nineteen eighties, and half the patient's child pschiatricy have ADD of one.
Speaker 4: Form or another.
Speaker 5: And if you see enough of these kids, you realize it's a genetic disorder. You get it from your mom or dad. And if you can't see it in mom or dad, well one you worry if they had a concussion, because that's one of the things that will mimic ADD or ADHD. It's just two acronyms for the same thing. But if you're an adult and you think you might have it, are the five symptoms that needed really to be part of your life ever since you were a child. So ADD doesn't just show up when you're forty.
Speaker 4: That could be perimenopause.
Speaker 5: It doesn't show up when you're sixty that could have been a car accident. It's something you have your whole life. So short attention span attention deficit disorder attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Actually hate the term ADHD because half of the people who have it are never hyperactive, especially females.
Speaker 4: So short attention span but not for everything.
Speaker 5: Short attention span for regular routine, everyday things, school work, paperwork, chores, sort of the things that make life work. Distractability you see too much, you hear too much, you sense too much, you taste too much. It's like the world comes at you too quickly. And as little kids, you like hated socks or you hated tags.
Speaker 4: In your shirt.
Speaker 5: My first wife had add and right after we got married, I walked into my closet and someone had cut the tags out of all of my shirts. And I actually felt violated. And I brought one of the shirts into the little living room in our apartment. I said, do you know what happened to my shirt? And she goes, oh, you had tags. I hate tags. Don't you hate tags? And I'm like, never felt a tag in my life. So they get easily distracted, and their bodies are often very sensitive. They often have to sleep with white noise at night because their brain is just bouncing around and they need something to sort of settle it down. They have problems with organization, either time, actual physical time, or their space. They organized by what I call the pile system, pile here, pile there, pile pile everywhere, and just hard for them to sort of focus and put things away. They tend to procrastinate, like things don't really get done until the last minute. They actually need stress in order to accomplish things. My book Preventing Alzheimer's I wrote with Rod Schenkel, who had ADD and every one of my books I turned in early, like I hate being late. And I was at his house at like eleven o'clock at night, going, I need the chapter. And I looked at his wife because she answered the dorm like, no sex till I get the chapter.
Speaker 2: He's like, you're getting the chapter.
Speaker 5: And then him pulsivity that they say things that perhaps they shouldn't say, or do things perhaps it's not in their best interests. And they tend to interrupt in conversations because it's like we'll forget and it can be stressful. And so those five things short attention span, distractability, disorganization, procrastination, some impulsivity, and it's the story of your life. People have bipolar disorder because sometimes they get confused for each other. You know, they have periods where they're just fine, periods where they're manic, periods where they're sad and add it's like that most of.
Speaker 3: The time, four out of the five boxes you check. I mean not to throw you under the bus, but no, you can throw me under this No I'm being honest, like that's why we're here.
Speaker 2: Yes. Well, first of all, those sound like our sun oh for sure, to a t all five, sound like our son Duke, who's thirteen, and so I thought, I thought, did maybe do get it from me? Because I did hear it was genetic? And I'm most of those things, but I'm not all. I don't have any sort of the sensitivity. I don't need white noise. I definitely I am a huge procrastinator, like I cannot do anything unless there's like a fire under me.
Speaker 1: You're late for everything you relate to our wedding.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean if the way I grew up, if you weren't five minutes early, you were late, and I was. I was always early for things until I got married and you were an hour and twenty minutes late for the rehearsal at the church.
Speaker 2: Are you sure? Yes? Sure, my god, that could be fake.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, that's that's the honesty.
Speaker 2: Okay, so yeah, yeah, no, but he's right, I am late to everything. No, I own it. I definitely own this. I am and I you know what, honestly, I hate this about myself because I think I'm good at a lot of things, you know, like I take pride in things that I'm good at, and I get like very passionate about things.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm a hard worker and I get the job done one way or another. But it's like always like stressful, right, It's like always something fire drill. Yeah, so that I think for sure, But I'm not like I don't interrupt conversations or feel like that's our sons.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: But you're saying so generally. So those are the things. Now. The other thing is, you know, I'm fifty one, and so that's another thing is like I think a lot of women, especially struggle with is this an attention thing that I'm getting as an adult or is it? Is it like add or is it Harry menopause? Is at menopause? But you know, so it's like very confusing, right, doctor Amon, Like it's so it has to.
Speaker 4: Be a story of your life.
Speaker 5: And when you were a little girl, where did you grow up?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: I was born in Italy in Naples, Italy, and I moved to America when I was about seven, and I grew up on the East Coast in the DC, Maryland area.
Speaker 5: And what did teachers say about you?
Speaker 2: I was not a great student. And yeah, I just wasn't a very good student. So I wasn't like a disruptive student all just academically, I was never interested in anything I was studying, so therefore I got lousy grades. And then when I went to college and then went on to graduate school and I studied journalism, I got all a's.
Speaker 5: So if you were interested, you did well, very much.
Speaker 1: So very similar to my life too, a similar situation.
Speaker 5: Because on your testing, you actually your focus was fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually I think Bill's was more problematic than yours. And I don't think we got Bill to complete the total I had.
Speaker 3: A technical air on the on the last segment of it.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't let me log in.
Speaker 2: So does Bill have adult ADHD?
Speaker 1: I know I'm messed up?
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, I think I feel like I was laser focused on his. On the testing, you.
Speaker 5: Were you actually scored really well.
Speaker 4: Shall I show you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the things we did with you is this study called total Brain. Yeah, and it's a forty minute test of attention.
Speaker 4: And what it says is you're.
Speaker 5: Not depressed, you're not anxious, you're not abusing substances. There is some issue with past trauma. Maybe we could chat about and you're really good at reading faces. You don't read positive or negative faces faster. That usually happens in trauma under a fair amount of stress.
Speaker 4: Not anxious. It could be better.
Speaker 5: Memories great, you're focused, So this is often the add it's great. Planning could be a little better. Maybe that's the lateness. The processing speed is Okay, you're flexible. This gets people into so much trouble. Short term memories fine, you're positive, but could be more so resilient and social. So when I look at this, like, it's not screaming, add to me. And then we did a test, a specific test of attention called the Connors continuous performance test, where every time you see a letter, you hit the spacebar.
Speaker 1: It's sad.
Speaker 5: When you see the letter X, you inhibit it. You're like, don't hit the space bar. And it's fourteen minutes and it's fairly boring, but you did phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So SPECK basically tells you three things good activity, too little, or too much, And here's a super healthy brain. The four images on the left we're looking at the outside surface.
Speaker 4: Images. On the right, we're looking at the most active parts of the brain.
Speaker 5: Blue is average, red is the top fifteen percent, White is the top eight percent, and it should be here in the back. When we look at your brain, do you actually have a stunningly beautiful brain. And that's not a line, but it actually looks really healthy. You're not getting Alzheimer's disease. It's not a classic add brain, which I'll show you in a little bit. Your emotional brain's busy. You know, I had said your mood could be better.
Speaker 4: This one of the mood.
Speaker 5: Centers here, and I'm like, I think we.
Speaker 4: Calm this down.
Speaker 5: You're going to be more organized and perhaps even more on time. I make something called Happy Saffron. It's made with Saffron zinc and Kirkcumins, and Saffron has thirty five randomized controlled trials showing it's equally effective to medications for mood. And there are five studies showing it helps memory and five studies showing it helps ADEDD.
Speaker 4: And so I'm like.
Speaker 5: Okay, three capsules a day, that would be the first thing I think we should try. But what I want you to hear from me is you have a beautiful brain, and I think I can balance it a little bit better and that's going to help your li life. But it's not a terribly add bray. Okay, I've seen I don't know, fifty thousand of these, and if I was you, I would celebrate. And that's what I always say, is, you know, getting a scam is only good news because if it's great, we celebrate. Yeah, and if it's not, we rehabilitate.
Speaker 4: Wow, let's talk about Bill.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, this is not going to be good.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 2: Can I just as before we go on the bell?
Speaker 1: I'm scared he always gives the good news first.
Speaker 2: No, No, can I just because I just want this to be fresh. So, doctor Iman, can I ask you a question? Do you think as you were giving me my results? I think I had like a little epiphany and I definitely want to get the afron zach Effron pills, zach Saffron.
Speaker 1: Pills, Saffron. I'm just kidding, O.
Speaker 2: No, I know what saffron is. Okay, I definitely want to get the saffron capsules you're talking about. But while you were giving me the results, I actually just thought of something. Could it be? Could it be? Could I be feeling this way because I'm taking on so much right now in my life. So my whole life, I had like a very specific job, granted many jobs within one job, but it was like, I don't know, I felt like I was on this train on the track, and it was like I always kind of knew what I was doing day and day out, even though balls were being fed all the time.
Speaker 1: But I was like a TV structure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was TV host forever at E and like I would do the Red Card, but I would do fashion plas. But it was like always like I knew what I was doing. Now, it's like I'm not kidding. I'm as busy, if not busier, than I was before, but so much of what I'm doing now is like real passion projects that are like kind of like life saving. I'm doing a lot with rescue animals and just like very like high stakes things. And I think that sometimes, you know, Bill will say like did you remember to do this? Did you remember? I'm like no, And I think it's like, oh my god, do I have ADHD. But maybe it's because this whole like I have all these like very high stakes passion projects that have now entered my life that I maybe am just like putting all the day to day stuff on the back burner and I can't focus on that stuff. Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: And we are in a world that makes all of us add from our phones, from social media. And one of the things I teach all my patients is an exercise called the one page Miracle. On one piece of paper, write down what do you want? Relationships, work, money, physical, emotional, spiritual health, what do I want? And then whenever you're about to say yes to something, go.
Speaker 4: Does it fit?
Speaker 5: And whenever someone asks you to do something, I always want you to go.
Speaker 4: I have to think about it. Now.
Speaker 5: My ADD patients they impulsively say yes and they take on too much and then they're chronically stressed. So I always want you to know what you want relationships, work, money, physical, emotional, spiritual hell, and then just go, well does it fit?
Speaker 4: And if it fits, of course say yes.
Speaker 5: But when it doesn't, it's okay to say, oh I can't do that, thank you. So, especially for my ADD patients, I haven't practice in the mirror. I have to think about it just so they stop taking on more than they can. And at fifty one, I think it's really important to have your hormones checked. And I'm very happy with doctor McCarey at the FDA who came out and said they lied to us about female hormone replacement, that it's essential. You know, the reason your hormones drop with age, it's the planet's way of eliminating you. And I don't know about you, but I'm sort of not okay with being eliminated, and so I want my hormones to be healthy forever.
Speaker 1: Do you feel the same about testosterone and men?
Speaker 5: I do, okay, good, but you have to be careful because some men think of you know, a little is good, a lot is better, and if you go over like a thousand, your libido goes up and your empathy goes down, and it's a prescription to lose half your net worth in being visiting your children on the weekend.
Speaker 3: That's good, right, No, no, no, my testosterone was a little low. I mean, I'll say it. I just had to check. It was like I think it was sub three hundred.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's not good for you.
Speaker 5: I make something also called brain Team Max to help support testosterone.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's at a level.
Speaker 5: You want to talk to, you know, maybe one of our integrative doctors and get it to a healthy level, because it helps you with energy, it helps you with muscle tone, it helps you with memory, it helps you with mood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get fatigued during the day.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I got to I've got to address this one last thing regarding Julian and we'll move on the Instagram.
Speaker 1: What you spend a lot of time on social media?
Speaker 2: Can I be honest with you, It's part of my job what I'm doing right now with my life, like the dogs that I'm rescuing, our Los Angeles dogs. We live in Chicago, so I'm constantly looking at a million videos at all that.
Speaker 3: It's healthy at night. She'll stay up till one in the morning watching these.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, it's after videos crying, and it will make you more aded.
Speaker 4: You just and I understand. I hear what you're.
Speaker 5: Saying that you do it for work, but I think if you don't limit.
Speaker 4: It, it's.
Speaker 5: We just saw what happened in Los Angeles, right that both Meta and YouTube got whacked for six million dollars. Because it's harmful and more harmful for children, for sure, but it's not great for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the bad news.
Speaker 5: Oh well, it's just news, right, it's all good news. Yes, if it's great, we'll celebrate, and if it's not.
Speaker 4: We'll rehabilitate.
Speaker 1: Okay, love it.
Speaker 4: So I had showed you healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now I have.
Speaker 5: The one we did from twenty eleven here on the left, and you see this hole. That's why I knew you had a concussion because the back part of your brain it got whapped. And I probably said, then, I wonder if you have add You can see these holes here, So I probably said that, I mean, I don't remember we see them here. So this is the one that we just did. And your exciple lobes are better here, but your temporal lobes here, and some of that could just be aging because they're fifteen years apart.
Speaker 4: But this could be better.
Speaker 5: And I get really excited about making brains better. So for you, I would I did the big NFL study when the NFL was sort of lying about traumatic brain injury and football, and I developed a multiple vitamin Omega three fatty acid and a brain boost that works in six different ways and it helped eighty percent of our players.
Speaker 4: So I would think about that for you.
Speaker 1: On a scale of one to ten, how bad is it ten being horrible.
Speaker 2: Phil always likes the numbers like he's like a second four.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, so if Juliana is like a one to two, I mean it's really beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you yours.
Speaker 5: It can be better. And you know, as we get older, I hate this. I'm going to be seventy two in a couple of months.
Speaker 4: It's the gravity of age.
Speaker 5: It's sort of like as our skin falls off our face as we age, that same process happens in the brain. But it doesn't have to. And that's what I get excited about.
Speaker 4: When I back in twenty eleven and I don't know what was going.
Speaker 5: On in your life, then your emotional brain is really cooking.
Speaker 4: This almost looks like past trauma to me, and.
Speaker 5: It's sort of settled. So I like that. So this scan is healthier than the one before. This one just looks like aging, but we can reverse it.
Speaker 4: And then, you know, I just.
Speaker 5: Asked the questions about add and the X test sort of suggested that.
Speaker 4: Might be a possibility.
Speaker 5: And given that you didn't take total brain, even though I wanted you to, that just makes me suspicious.
Speaker 1: No, I literally couldn't log on like it wouldn't It would not.
Speaker 2: Let me, wait, suspicious about what?
Speaker 1: But I was afraid to take it.
Speaker 5: It can be better, so I would have that. If it's me, I'm like excited. I'm like all right, So here, I am now highly functional, doing really great work.
Speaker 4: Well, what would my life.
Speaker 5: Be like four months from now, a year from now, ten years from now if I had ten percent better brain activity?
Speaker 1: Am I a higher candidate for Alzheimer's or dementia with this?
Speaker 5: It's not that pattern, okay, But you're a higher candidate for things like subjective memory loss or mild cognitive impairment.
Speaker 4: And you just don't want that.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want that. Okay.
Speaker 2: You're also very did anything? So do you see you were talking about the stress things. So in twenty eleven, I'm trying to think twenty eleven was when we were trying to have a kid. When Duke was born in twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: I was happier then than I am today in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: No, well it depends what month. But I was diagnosed with cancer in twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: So maybe you were stressed caring on that.
Speaker 2: And then also we were trying to have a baby and we were in the thick of it and it was like so hard and we were getting bad news constantly. So maybe that's what appeared in twenty eleven.
Speaker 5: You know, I sort of as you bring that up, I remember us talking about that and it was an extremely stressful time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that could have been it, for sure.
Speaker 2: You were stressed out. I remember that, And so maybe that's what it is. And yeah, I mean, and then what about the ex test with Bill? What is that show? Doctor Aman? The one where you had to.
Speaker 5: Get had some issues with attention. It wasn't flat out terrible, but it could have been better.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's interesting. So huh honey, we got to take that.
Speaker 1: We do a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: No, I'm glad you did this. No, I and I know it.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's you know, life could be better, for sure, you know from a cognitive standpoint.
Speaker 1: You know, I think I'd be excited because you're already excited. At least, there's it, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Have you ever been in a hyperbaric chamber?
Speaker 3: I have once, right, a couple of times when I had a rotator cuff surgery and part of my recovery was I would go in the hyperbaric a couple of times.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would find a place near you, and I would literally go twenty to forty times. Okay, I mean I go a couple of times a week just because I want to keep the best blood flow possible to my brain. And you know, whatever's good for your heart is good for your brain is actually good for sexual functioning because it's all related.
Speaker 4: To blood flow.
Speaker 3: Okay, And how whe do you go for an hour at a time? Okay, right, I'm going to start that and.
Speaker 5: My office in Chicago will be able to tell you. You know, you tell them where you live and they'll give you suggestions.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So doctor Aman, like, what do you you know if someone's listening right now, because obviously anyone listening to this podcast right now this episode is interested in ADHD, right whether it's for themselves, probably specifically for themselves because it's a specific episode about adults. So in terms of ADHD and how it presents itself, does it present itself differently between men and women?
Speaker 5: You know, more so between boys and girls. For boys, they tend to be disruptive and a bit more active. Girls tend to be more spacey. And there's still a lot of gender bias in our society where if a little boy is having trouble, They're like, wait, he's gonna have to take care of a family someday, I gotta get them help. Where if a little girl's having problems, there's not quite that sense of urgency.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, well, we hope.
Speaker 5: She marries someone nice, which is completely irrational given that women in our society today are doing way more than men. Women are working outside the house eighty to ninety percent of the time. They're primary caretakers for children, primary caretakers for the house, and you know, we now have three generations of tired women. When you add short attention span, distractability, restlessness, they often end up on antidepressants or anti anxiety medications, which generally make ADD worse. Not saffron, but if they go on prozac or lexapro, their ADD becomes worse and they actually don't care that it's worse because they're less anxious. So, you know, and adults, it's still those five And how most adult women get diagnosed is they have a son that has ADD, they bring them to the doctor. When the doctor goes, okay, where does this come from? And you know, as you go through the symptoms, you know, mom, or dad generally raises their hands. There's classic ADHD hyperactive, restless, impulsive, can't concentrate, so it's the classic type. There's inattentive ADD they're really never hyperactive, not really terribly impulsive, but short attention span, destractibility, disorganization. There's over focused ADD that they have ADD symptoms. Plus they're worried, rigid, and flexible. If things don't go their way, they get upset. And stimulants for ADD tend to make that type worse. There's sad ADD where it's just its low level of dysthymia or sadness. There's anxious ADD and then something called the ring of fire where it's not low activity in the brain, it's excessive activity.
Speaker 4: In the brain.
Speaker 5: And that's why you know, not everybody should get the same treatment.
Speaker 3: And would the scan help diagnose that? You can tell by the scan if you're in the ring of fire or where you're at on the I guess the ADD chart death. That's incredible, that's really edible. I mean it's just cutting edge and stimulants you're a fan of, you're not a fan of. I want to kind of debunk some of these things.
Speaker 5: So I'm a fan of them for the right brain. I'm not a fan of them for the wrong brain. So if you have the ring of fire, I publish this study eight times out of ten, stimulants are going to make you worse and so or if you have the limbic or sad add you tend to get really bad. Withdrawal from the stimulants. You do better either with samy which is a supplement saffron, or well buttrin, which is an antidepressant that also helps people have add the anxious add Generally, the stimulants will make you more anxious anxious, and so balancing that out with gabba or the inning can be helpful. You know, stimulants for the right person Concerto, Riddle, and adderall by bands for the wrong personal, disrupt them for the right person. I mean they literally go from ds and f stays and bs. They go from being fired from their job to running the company. And I end up seeing a lot of entrepreneurs and I had won one of the first ones I saw. He owned three card dealerships. He said after a year he made more money than he ever made in his whole life because he could focus.
Speaker 1: We loved having you on. We love you.
Speaker 3: We think you are just a jewel. We follow you, we love all the advice you give. So thank you so much, We so appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you so much.