Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, Thanks for joining us for today's morning Run. It's Wednesday, June eleventh.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ Holden. On the run this morning, mass arrests in Los Angeles after an eight pm curfew is enforced amid ongoing immigration protests, and now it's not just La experiencing unrest.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Chaotic scenes on the streets in New York as well as in Chicago where a car plowed through a crowd. Plus President Trump was at Fort Bragg to make a major announcement Confederate names are making a comeback.
Speaker 2: Also breaking billionaire bromance News Elon Musk says my bad publicly admits he went too far in his feud with Trump. Also, you're not fired, but don't bother coming back either. ABC News is parting ways with a long time journalist because of his itchy Twitter fingers.
Speaker 1: Plus running out of words to describe what continues to be a jaw dropping testimony in the Ditty trial. And yesterday, yeah it was another doozy.
Speaker 2: And also on the run this morning, one of the most talked about covered and visible athletes in the NFL surprised everybody yesterday, casually mentioning that he's been married for months. We'll get into this, wrote, this is even a guy, you know, And this is a guy whose personal life, his dating life has been covered a lot over the past decade. Nobody knew who's naing.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny. I don't know why. I feel like it's a personal.
Speaker 1: Win to see someone like him be able to have some privacy and feel good about it. After yes, his public his private life has been very publicly displayed for years now.
Speaker 3: It's a win for him, But I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It feels like a personal win too, Like, yeah, somebody got you know, was able to actually do something without having everyone covered at nausea.
Speaker 2: Get this. We're still not quite sure who his wife is. We'll get into that.
Speaker 3: That's the even thought, like that's the best part of the story. Yes, we'll get into it in just a sec.
Speaker 1: But we begin our Wednesday morning run taking us to downtown Los Angeles, where police say they made mass arrests after a curfew went into effect last night. The LA Mayor imposed an eight pm curfew for a very small and very specific one mile area of downtown Los Angeles, which has been the site of classes between police and protesters for several days now.
Speaker 2: Demonstrations over ice raids started last Friday in LA, mostly peaceful, but then delved or devolved, i should say, into more widespread chaos and clashes. President Trump has ordered National Guard and Marines to the area, a move that California leaders say exacerbated the situation. For the most part, National Guard stood by. We saw them on video. There's just standing by what LA police were doing all of the work of doing the arrests of people who were still in the street after that curfew.
Speaker 1: Now, LA officials say at least twenty three businesses have been looted so far, and the mayor expects she could keep we back heur few in place for the next several days. Meanwhile, President Trump defended his use of the National Guard and Marines and called demonstrators animals and a foreign enemy that he's going to liberate Los Angeles from. Well. The state of California has now sued Trump over his use of the military, calling it unconstitutional, but a hearing isn't happening on that issue until Thursday, so we'll see about that. But this unrest has spilled over to several cities across the United States, and personally here in New York City, we actually witnessed some of it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, just we live here in Lower Manhattan, I think a lot of people know by now, but one of the main areas is just a couple of blocks from us, And sure enough, it was a mass protest. But then later in the night, things we saw later got a little test to year and there were some clashes and at least eighty people were arrested here in New York.
Speaker 3: Yes, it seemed very peaceful what we saw.
Speaker 1: We actually went over to check out one of the staging areas right outside of the courthouse there in Lower Manhattan. People had signs and they were shouting, but it was very peaceful. Yes, it was after midnight when things unraveled, so to speak. And apparently they are saying that the protesters will return again at five pm in Lower Manhattan here today, So it remains to be seen how.
Speaker 3: That will go.
Speaker 1: But in Chicago, a car drove into a crowd of demonstrators. No one was injured, but certainly hundreds, if not thousands, had gathered in that city as well. In Austin, Texas, several cities across the country uniting with LA protesters.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll continue on this Wednesday morning run now with a major development in the thawing feud between Elon Musk and President Trump. Musk might have been up late, or maybe he gets up early at three am like the rest of us, because while most folks, yes, most of you, were sleeping, Musk was doing some self reflecting and tweeted at three four am.
Speaker 1: This, I regret some of my posts about President Donald Trump last week.
Speaker 3: They went too far. That's it.
Speaker 1: This is a major, major departure from what we had heard before. It comes just a few days after Musk did delete some of his most incendiary tweets about Trump, including the one where he accused the President of being in the Jeffrey Epstein files. He also deleted that post where he replied yes to a call for Trump to be impeached and for Vice President JD. Vans to take his place.
Speaker 2: So what's President Trump saying about all this? Well, Originally the President talked about Musk losing it and said he had gone crazy, but things softened. On Monday, the President said, quote, we had a great relationship and I wish him well, very well. Actually, that clip was posted on X and Musk responded to the post with a heart emoji.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you started to see the beginning of thawing tensions.
Speaker 1: And as at this recording, neither Trump nor the White House has directly reacted to Musk's latest tweet of regret.
Speaker 3: But who knows.
Speaker 1: This could be the first step to reconciliation. Even though we heard Trump say he had no interest in resuming his relationship with him public.
Speaker 3: And ugly back and forth.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you all remember between Trump and Musk began after Musk went on X calling Trump's Big Beautiful Bill a disgusting abomination, and it unraveled from there.
Speaker 2: I don't mind this. The stock market might even react if they think the relationship is coming back together in one way or another. But still, look, anytime people speak bad or do something wrong and can come back and say I apologize or I did something wrong and do it in a public way, that's got to be a win.
Speaker 1: You know. It feels good that at least there can be some reflection, there can be some regret, and there can be maybe some better understanding of how to conduct.
Speaker 3: Your very private issues less publicly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life lessons with Donald Trump and Elion Musk. We'll continue on our run here on this Wednesday. I keep saying it's Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Man is Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll continue our run here on this Wednesday morning. We had to Fort Bragg, the country's largest military base, where President Trump kicked off the Army's birthday week with a major announcement that the Confederacy is making a back. Let me explain specifically. He's talking about seven military bases that are getting their old names back, and all of their old names are of Confederate officers.
Speaker 1: The seven bases had their names changed during the Biden administration in an effort to not have US military bases named after Confederate leaders. Well, now Trump says their names are being restored, so their bases will go back to these names. Fort Pickett, Fort Lee, and Fort ap Hill. That's all in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: That's my mistake. Those are all in Virginia. Apologies, Virginia folks. I wrote that in there incorrectly for her. All of those are in Virginia.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you for that. Ah, all right, I should have known Fort Lee, duh? All right?
Speaker 1: Fort Hood in Texas Fort Gordon in Georgia, Fort Rucker in Alabama, and Fort Polk in Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Now you might remember the Trump administration previously restored the names of Fort Bragg and Fort Benning. They did that with a lot of fanfare. Fort Bragg, if you maybe I didn't even notice at the time, it had been called Fort Liberty for the past couple of years. Fort Benning had been called Fort Moore. So those two initially had their name restored. But this is the key here, folks. In the case of each they found a way around actually naming the base after a Confederate officer by finding a different namesake. My point being Fort Bragg was originally named after a Confederate general, Braxton Bragg. They changed it to Fort Liberty, got rid of that. So but when they brought it back to be Fort Bragg again, they said they were naming it after Private first Class Roland Bragg.
Speaker 1: Who was that?
Speaker 2: No one of note, but just somebody who had the same last name. They've done that to every one of these bases. You find a random namesake, so you can say it's Fort Bragg or whatever, which is the original name, but you can say it's technically not named after a Confederate general or leader.
Speaker 1: So in each one of these basics, they found another person to replace the original Confederate leader.
Speaker 2: Which nobody's going to go Google and look up. You're just going to look up and you're going to see it's still the same name that it was when it was named after some Confederate.
Speaker 1: All find it so ironic that in the same week, or at least within a matter of days, they've restored Confederate names, but they're taking down names of iconic pioneers like Harvey Milk. Wow, that flies in the face of so much. All right, next up on a run, let's come back to Lower Manhattan and talk the Ditty trial. Today will be day twenty one of testimony and Jane is expected to continue cross examination. She has been on the stand since last Thursday, testifying under the pseudonym Jane in order to protect her identity.
Speaker 2: She dated Ditty up until last year. She's a key prosecution witness, one of the four victims the government has based its case on. She's been testifying to a pattern of abuse and control by Combs in which she felt obligated to participate in those so called freak offs. Now before she got back on the stand yesterday, there was some business to tend to, and the judge formally denied Diddy's request to end this trial.
Speaker 1: Yes His defense team had filed the motion for a mistrial, claiming prosecutorial misconduct. The judge did give props, however, to the defense. They had said that there was a they should have been able to end the trial because one of the prosecution's witnesses testified to something that Diddy did on a day that they proved he couldn't have done because he was in a completely different city. The judge did say, hey, nice Perry Mason moment, but it's not enough grounds for a mistrial. So once testimony he got going yesterday, we heard some wild stuff, including that Diddy apparently likes to pretend he's Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Jane claiming that she and Diddy.
Speaker 1: And a male escort would refer to themselves as the Trifecta on their hotel nights, Jane playing the role of Phobe Bryant, the escort Paul would apparently be Shaquille O'Neal, and Diddy would be Jordan. I can't even get my head around that.
Speaker 2: People are into what they're into and that's fine. It's just we are learning so much. These details are so bizarre, but you're just getting, just really get You're not even looking through the window. It's almost like it puts you in the room. Some of the details we have been hearing about these personal lives, but that was just one that caught a lot of people's attention. The defense was able to show through text messages that Jane was at times an enthusiastic participant and even had a say in how things would go in these freak colls. That's important because coercion is a big part of this. Was she there consensually or not at times? Jane's cross examination is expected to last through today, possibly even tomorrow. Robes That would put her as almost a full week that she's been on the stand. This will be the one who's testified longest.
Speaker 1: Real that's right, And everything I've read saying that the defense attorneys agreed to a truncated day today because they say they'll go they'll continue their cross examination through the day tomorrow. So yes, that would put her on the stand for a full week. Court is getting that later start today at one pm.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, stay with us. Folks on here on this Wednesday Morning Run. You're not fired, but don't let the door hit you on the way out either, Terry Moran. Yes, ABC News has made its call on his future. Also coming up, we have got to learn a thing or two from Aaron Rodgers about keeping your relationship details private.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to this Wednesday Morning Rona. Next up on the Run, Senior national correspondent Terry Moran is out at ABC News. This comes after the network suspended him earlier in the week for posting a now deleted tweet that was critical of the President and his staff.
Speaker 2: That Moran wrote that Trump band Deputy White House Chief of Staff Stephen Miller were world class haters. His words, his post said grammatical eras it was written after midnight. He went on to say that Miller's hatreds are his spiritual nourishment. He eats his hate. Then about Trump, he is Hatred's only a means to an end, and that end is his own glorification. That's his spiritual nourishment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a lot. So turns out ABC did not have to technically fire Miran because his contract was reportedly and I dare say, conveniently up this Friday, so the network said, hey, we just decided not to renew it after twenty eight years with ABC News.
Speaker 3: Here was their statement.
Speaker 1: We are at the end of our agreement with Terry Moran, and based on his recent post, which was a clear violation of ABC News policies, we have made the decision to not renew at ABC News.
Speaker 3: We hold all of our reporters to the highest.
Speaker 1: Standards of objectivity, fairness, and professionalism, and we remain committed to delivering straight forward, trusted journalism.
Speaker 2: Terry Moran had several recent high profile assignments with the network, leading ABC's coverage of the papal conclave in Rome and of course, securing that interview with President Trump back in April that was to discuss Trump's one hundred days in office. The administration had called for Moran to be suspended and fired following that tweet. Why How spokesperson said his post was unacceptable and unhinged, says speaks to the distrust that the American public has in the legacy media.
Speaker 3: What are the chances that his contract was up on Friday?
Speaker 1: We as reporters or anchors usually sign two, but sometimes four year deals. I don't know how long his was. But that's fairly remarkable that on. And maybe he knew they weren't going to renew his contract. Maybe he felt like he had the ability to go ahead and say what he wanted to say. It's hard to get into his head. He hasn't made any comments, but the timing is interesting.
Speaker 2: I think about this totally differently now we know Terry Moran. This is not characteristic of him, even the language. If he knew his contract now I'm thinking like, was he just trying to get out of there? Was he just over it anyway and knew he was going to be leaving? And also, we work in this business. How many times did anybody allow your contract to go up to the week before or before you start discussing, or before you start, before you're signed, it's usually.
Speaker 3: Done, negotiations might have been going off the rails.
Speaker 1: That's usually maybe like a month or two before your contract's up. They usually come, do you start the negotiations? It is The timing now is very, very very interesting to me, and yes, makes me think differently about the entire situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and especially look.
Speaker 1: If you're hoping to stay with the network when your contract's about to come out. When they ask you to do anything, go anywhere, stay late, you say yes, yes, and yes, because you know that's a part of the negotiations. All right, for the final leg of our run, we could all learn a thing or two from Aaron Rodgers on keeping your relationship private. He got married months ago, and guess what, nobody knew.
Speaker 2: So this is a really remarkable thing to pull off, considering he is one of the most watched invisible athletes in the NFL. He has a regular TV segment that he does. He's a future Hall of Famer, he's a former MVP, he's a Super Bowl champion. He just signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers, so there was a lot of coverage of him where he was gonna go. Everybody's been watching this guy for several months, but yesterday he hit us with this hit training camp. At the press conference, he just kind of casually slid in there that he had gotten married months ago. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A reporter asked him about a ring that was spotted on his left finger recently. The reporter actually gave him an out, suggested it was an AURR ring.
Speaker 3: Rogers said, yeah, it's a wedding ring.
Speaker 1: The reporter did not seem ready for that answer, because there was really not much of a follow up other than congratulations, how long has it been? And Rogers said he'd been married for a couple of months.
Speaker 2: So who is this lucky mystery lady. Well, we know she's lucky and that's it. The rest is a mystery. Congratulations to you, missus Rogers. He has kept the relationship pretty private. He only mentioned her in a TV appearance that had nothing to do with his relationship. He just said something about the house, and yeah, something right for Brittany, and he just kept going and I said, Brittany, it was Brittany. Everybody went crazy and somebody even made a joke Britney spears. They laughed it off, and he said, no, Brittany with an eye, and that's all we got.
Speaker 3: That's all we have.
Speaker 1: And it's great because you know, we talk a lot about clickbait here and how annoying it is. If you go and google him, it'll say what we know about Aaron Rodgers's new wife, and then when you read it, they know nothing.
Speaker 3: They know nothing.
Speaker 1: So it just goes to show you everyone wants to act like they got something you can click on.
Speaker 3: But he wins.
Speaker 1: No one you know, and he has had several high profile relationships in the press that didn't go well for him, and I think he learned his lesson the hard way.
Speaker 3: And I love that they get.
Speaker 1: To have their moment, and they had their moment without helicopters flying above and drones trying to get pictures.
Speaker 3: They didn't even know the wedding was happening.
Speaker 2: Well done and congratulations should certainly be said. But on this Wednesday before you go, something we'd like for you to consider it is our quote of the day.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I like to go way back to some of the original folks who we like to quote, like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know Aristotle.
Speaker 1: Here is what he had to say that we hope will help you throughout your deck. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
Speaker 2: I've heard this one before. It's a doozy people. You know, you're just born great, you work at it. Everybody the I think the people who are best at things that you know what, the height of most professions and things I've seen are the people who work the hardest, who are currently working hard, Like nobody had a harder workout than Michael Jordan.
Speaker 3: Right, you got to bring up Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: I want to bring up Michael Jordan again. You know what I was gonna go with, Kobe. Let me go to Lebron. Lebron was not a part of the traffeck.
Speaker 3: Keep it out of the diddy the trial.
Speaker 2: The point there being is I have seen people you think they're just good at it. I have witnessed people how hard they work, harder than I could ever imagine for the success they have. And you just know, there's a good lesson. But it also applies to a bunch of stuff, like bad things you do. If you do that repeatedly, we become those habits as well.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's true. It's interesting. I was thinking of must tweeting at three am.
Speaker 1: Whatever you think of him, he is highly successful and he's up at three am tweeting away. So here is your quote of the day, one last time, on this hump day. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. Thank you, Aristotle, and thank you for listening to us on this Wednesday morning. Run I'm Amy Robots.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ. Holmes. Run again soon