Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, joining.
Speaker 2: Us in studio George Noble, who changed investment.
Speaker 1: There's no other way to put it. This oddity came out.
Speaker 2: Years ago Fidelity Overseas Fun and was a juggernaut for a decade working with mister Lynchett Fidelity.
Speaker 1: He is with Noble Capital Advies US. I got eight ways to go.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ask one look back question and then we got to look at the present tense right now.
Speaker 1: Because you're fired up out on.
Speaker 2: LinkedIn and Twitter, everybody needs to read one hundred and twenty eight pages John Kenneth Gelbraith lived almost to a green span one hundred A short history of financial euphoria.
Speaker 1: It's an exquisite jewel. I put it out on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: What's the character of our financial euphoria right now?
Speaker 1: A la JK. Gilbraith.
Speaker 3: Great to be here. There's really nothing new under the sun, and that's his human nature. Doesn't change. The characters changed, names change, but it's fear and greed. We can go back to the South Sea bubble, Dutch Tulip bulb mania. History repeats itself over and over again.
Speaker 4: Put AI into that context here because people have been positioning AI other than electricity, There's been nothing more important than AI. How do you think about just this whole concept writ large.
Speaker 3: I'm not bearish on AI per se. I'm sure we're all going to use it. Many of us are using it already. The question is what's the ROI on the AI. It starts out the way these bubbles all start. There's a kernel of truth. It captures the imagination of the individual, whether it's a Southsea bubble, or it's Dutch tulip bulbs, or it's dot com, which I've lived through. Ye, And it starts out it's a good idea, But what happens is the price changes immeasurably. And the best definition I've actually heard of a bubble. There are many definitions. The best one I've heard is something that changes human behavior, that people do things that they wouldn't do otherwise, and whether it's because of fomo, fear of missing out or otherwise. And I think that's kind of where we are with with AI. I mean, I'm happy to change my mind, but show me the money. Where's the ROI? And I don't see it, and I don't see it coming either.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem to be deterring capital from flowing to that business. We've seen extraordinary amounts of equity raised. Now we're seeing tech companies and everything thought about the bond market raising tens of billions of dollars in investment grade bond market. We've got a Korean company listing its ad rs today here in the US. I mean that I've been on Global Wall Street for thirty years. I've never seen this amount of money flow.
Speaker 3: The things I read the same sources you do. I file that under my category on X of things you don't see at a bottom. We've seen this movie before with Japanese subtitles, Housing subtitles, Tech subtitles. Go back to dot com. I actually think this is much worse than dot Com simply because the sums involved by that much greater.
Speaker 2: This is really important because you know, the fossil sitting around the table.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about Dana for a couple of days ago.
Speaker 2: I remember being in meetings at sixty State Street dot com and all that. What's the distinction right now versus ninety eight ninety.
Speaker 1: Nine and then what we enjoyed in.
Speaker 3: One again, I want to elaborate on the sheer magnitude of this. Julian Garrett of Micro Macro Strategic Partners in the UK Aerodyite Economists of the in many years has made a calculation that this bubble, this malinvestment is seventeen times seventeen times what we saw in the air of dot com and what's allied to that. What's really important is the sums involved are so much larger relative to the real economy. The fallout from this could really be much more significant.
Speaker 2: For Global Wall Street. On this Friday, A real treat George Noble with us of course definitive infidelity with mister Lynch a few years ago at is Noble Capital Advisors. He's been on fire out on LinkedIn and Twitter with his criticism of the moment at him.
Speaker 1: Paul Sweety with George Nobook again.
Speaker 4: Another definitive part in this market was the I feel of a company called SpaceX.
Speaker 1: Oh my thought. I thought you'd never ask what do you make of that?
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't imagine setting in a fidelity office conference room, and you know the bankers bring elon muskin to make this pitch. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall. What do you make of that.
Speaker 3: History shows that buying companies that over ten times revenues usually ends very badly. We all recall Scott McNeely famously in some microsystems. What happens when you have to, when your return is gonna be you buy number ten x. This is one hundred and twenty times revenues. And you know it's even if you look at companies and projection, I mean they're already borrowing money. You look at the companies projection, they'll be cashful negative for years to come. And here's the worst part of SpaceX, which I don't want to engage in the captain obvious thinking. But the thing everyone should consider, and that is the staggered lockup that we're now, the unlocked that we're looking at. Okay, starting from next month, when the quarterly earnings come out, you're twenty percent of this shares come unlocked shortly thereafter, and then there's a whole series of unlocked seven percent every twenty or thirty days. By December, one hundred percent of the shares will be freely floating. The point of the important point that investors should understand is even without any change in the fundamentals, when you go from a five percent float to one hundred percent float.
Speaker 2: George, in the old days when you would take a two hour lunch at Lockovers and you use the whole.
Speaker 1: Court there off the bar.
Speaker 2: But in the old days, when a company went public, it like took its shares public and maybe they had a little stub that kept private. Now we're unloading five percent of the public. To me, it's manipulative. Should regulators step in and get the initial public offering market back.
Speaker 1: To a normal segmentation one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: It's not a question of what's legal or illegal.
Speaker 1: It's just not right.
Speaker 3: Society is not well served by allowing this. Grandma's four oh one k is an exitent liquidity for this manipulation. And I think I think the regulators are sleep at the wheel. They only usually jump in action after the carpinases occurred.
Speaker 2: Guenstler who sat in this chair recently, and I said to Gary Gensler, I said, okay, you let bitcoin in. I get it, it's a free market and all that, But what do you say to retail that enjoyed bitdog at one ten and it's now down at sixty SpaceX, Okay, it's back to one fifty. I'm watching the debt of SpaceX to be blunt, it can't find a bid.
Speaker 3: A lie to that, Tom, I promise you that once it goes under the offering price and the unlocked shares come to market, the insiders who were in at a tenth of the current price, they're going to hit the bid so fat that it's gonna make it well.
Speaker 1: I got to make some news here.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Fidelity was way out front christer Munts on this. Would you recommend that Abbie Johnson and the team sell their SpaceX?
Speaker 3: They know the company better than I do. Let's just say if I was handed a portfolio, if Philly were to rehire me, I would sell it right away.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk, you have to. I'm not sure we've seen anything like this in terms of the value that gets described to mister Musk relative to the earnings, relative to the cashlow. We've seen it year for years in Tesla, and you look that Tesla analysts, the auto analysts all have holds their cells on it and they've been wrong. And the tech anisi filou all been saying, just buy it. It's Elon, It's Elon, It's it's autonomous robots and all that kind of stuff. Have you seen that in the past where one individual can have such an influence on valuation.
Speaker 3: No, I think Tesla's probably the biggest misallocation of capital at scale in the history of stock markets, perhaps only surpassed by SpaceX. I was one of those wrong analysts. I'm a fossil. I happen to be the auto analyst for Peter Lynch in nineteen eighty one. We went to Detroit to visit Chrysler, Ford and GM, so I know of what I speak. Fundamental work has not guided one in the case of Tesla. I think, however, though he's bitten off more than he can chew. Now everyone's speculating whether or not SpaceX may merge take over Tesla. I have no special insight on that, but if I had to gamble, if I had to speculate, and if I ever speculate, I would say it's a reasonable speculation.
Speaker 2: Let me reintroduce here worldwide, including overseas and across America. George Noble with us for years, definitive in the business of over seas investment and fidelity thrilledies in our studio today controversial to say the least on the euphoria at hand.
Speaker 4: Paul Sweene, So, George, where do you see opportunity these days? I'm sure you look at various markets, various geographies.
Speaker 1: Where do you see value these days?
Speaker 3: Well, it's a market of stocks. As Peter J. Always used to say, don't try to call the market. I think they're outstanding opportunities right now. On energy, I'm actually quite concerned about the energy picture. I think we're sleepwalking into the biggest energy this location in history. You look at the disparity between the divergence between the financial market for oil and the physical market for oil. We're between a rock and a hard place. The energy stocks. Crude is sold off significantly the last few weeks, as have the energy stocks. You know. I think the risk award is very appealing. There's very little downside and potentially a lot of upside. I like reflation. Generally speaking, gold stocks I think are a huge buy right here SSRM as an example, seven times earnings, not cash flow, seven times earnings, right, So, gold stocks, energy stocks, other commodity names, like some of the copper copper names, they're all they're all very interesting to me.
Speaker 4: Part of this AI story to the extent people are looking for other ways to buy it other than the chips. Has been some of the picks and shovels. One of them has been energy. How are we going to power all these data centers that are being built in everybody's backyard. I mean, they can stick a little nuclear reactors next to each one. How are we going to do that?
Speaker 1: It took thermodynamics exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, the one thing you shouldn't do is buy oklow, which is one of the biggest frauds out there on the market right now.
Speaker 1: But that's a whole nother story. Ok L.
Speaker 3: We've been short that for a year. You know. The problem with it was some of the names you mentioned, some of the utility stocks with the AI trade comes unstuck, and I believe it will. I think a lot of those derivative plays are going to take on water cru It's a little different so in sight, a different orbit, but a lot of the derivative power plays I think are going to have a big problem. One last joke of it was great lines, someone you used a few weeks ago and me. They talk about, hell, you know, you got to buy the picks and shovels. They said, yea, Well, what happens to buy the picks and shovels and there's no gold in them?
Speaker 1: Hills Georgia.
Speaker 2: I got to get two things in here that I think our audience is really interested in.
Speaker 1: And overseas in the huge.
Speaker 2: Ups and some of the challenges you had a t ton as well. Are you correlated on overseas to what the dollar does? Like do you have to have a week dollar to make overseas work?
Speaker 3: No, you don't, but it's a very good question. You don't need a week or dollar. What you need to keep in mind is the economic cycles across different geographies varies enormously, and that's what you're trying to anticipate. You need to have somewhat of a top down perspective, not just bottom investing Internationally. However, one thing I will say the dirty secret they don't tell you anymore. Way back when when I was a young and in the early days at Fidelity, it was much less correlation between the markets. Now, given the increasing interlinkages between markets, the correlation is a much higher.
Speaker 1: I like to joke, why do.
Speaker 3: I need to be up at ten o'clock at night trading the Japanese mark? I get up at five am to watch the London market. I can lose money just as well between nine thirty a m. At four pm Eastern time, and I can get and I can get a.
Speaker 2: Jobs padhground on that, and of course on private credit. I know you've been in the dump known as the Saint Regis. The old Saint Regis in Beijing was an absolute dump, folks. I'm sitting there in the nineties listening to CEO squared stuff and bankers giddy and the whole thing. Are we doing the reducs there on private credit and private equity where there's some shadows to say.
Speaker 3: The least, you couldn't have said it better. My father always used to like to say, there's two ways of learning things, either by precept or by experience. It's much or more economical. But with my precept, we're all human. We all think that this is brand new. It's Dayevo all over again, as Yogi would say.
Speaker 4: So how about just real quick US versus non US? How do you think about that these days? Because there was a flight out of the US when the tariffs sure started happening.
Speaker 3: Sure you know, the US we had a more than a decade of app performance largely in the back of the fact that US had much superior Ernie's growth was justified largely led by tech. Okay, but now that when this global reflation growth is not as scarce as it was, so the rest of the world, rarely speaking, starts to do, the gap closes, and in fact that Ernie's growth and a lot of the farm markets exceeds what you see in the US right now in particular, but not all. It's rather a heterogeneous group. So I think Japan's interesting. I think selected emerging markets like Brazil and China, but you can't color them all the same brush.
Speaker 2: I got to ask one final question, and I'm doing this for ninety two nine.
Speaker 1: Good morning up in Boston.
Speaker 2: Thrill that you're with us from Mount Cataden down to the National Hotel on Black Island.
Speaker 1: George Noble, there was a girl.
Speaker 2: That was just sort of at Fidelity. She came out of Hobart Williams Smith, have a name named Johnson, and Fidelity was there when you were there and after you were there. What Abby Johnson has done at Fidelity is a miracle. I mean, are you surprised or shocked at what her leadership has done? There after the turmoil going from dad to daughter.
Speaker 3: It really has been outstanding, you know it. Phail is a wonderful company, is I think it was Garrett Morrison Saturday Night Live used to say Fidelity bad any bety good to me. It's extremely well run company. Ned was fantastic. She's done a fantastic job as well. When I joined FIDELI you're gonna laugh.
Speaker 1: Last thing.
Speaker 3: I'll say they had eight billion under management. I think only three billion inequities. Fidelity, believe it or not, only hired two people a year back in nineteen eighty one. They came through the seventies, they lost money some years, they had the layoffs, and now they're eighteen trillion.
Speaker 1: This is the final line.
Speaker 3: I think it comes from Ned Johnson himself with something like never confused brains with a bull market.
Speaker 1: So we'll do that. You can leave right now. George Noble, thank you so much. Definitive at Fidelity Overseas.
Speaker 2: Can't say enough about Look for him out on LinkedIn alone and on Twitter.
Speaker 1: His caution of the disease times of Euphoria