Speaker 1: Hey there, everybody, Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. This is our Holiday Gift Guide gift number six. It is Monday, December eighth, and yes, another full week of gift ideas for you Monday through Friday. Our iHeart producers sent us a box of goodies that we got to try out, and we are passing along our thoughts on some of the hottest gifts and gadgets that you could possibly be purchasing for family members. And number six is the Slate Electric flosser. Have you ever wanted an electric flosser? Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, I floss a lot, so I am very interested in this product.
Speaker 1: Yes, I floss a lot too.
Speaker 2: I didn't know electric was a thing.
Speaker 1: I didn't either, so I didn't even know this was possible. We'll give you the description.
Speaker 2: Flosser is the right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's what flosser flosser. So here is what slate electric floss This is what or how they describe their product. This is the first three in one electric flosser that goes far beyond string floss or water flossers. It combines four hundred strand woven floss heads built in gum brushes and a triple road tongue scraper for a complete clean your toothbrush can't reach.
Speaker 2: I don't want it anymore.
Speaker 1: Have you ever scraped your tongue before? With uh?
Speaker 2: Haven't we heard different opinions about doing so at the end of brushing your teeth. I think a lot of people could get into the habit of doing though it's doing so. I think I do something.
Speaker 1: I've brushed my tongue. I've never scraped my tongue.
Speaker 2: Wait for but we're talking about the same thing. Yeah, the brushing is the.
Speaker 1: Scraper, I guess, yes, But I've never used a tongue scraper. They actually have them.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is the first ever tungue scraper.
Speaker 1: Well no, it's just in combination with an electric flosser and a gum massage.
Speaker 2: Telling me tongue. Well, you said a gum massage. I didn't know about that either. Wait a second. You're saying there are products out there called tongue scrapers.
Speaker 1: I think so. I've heard of it. Yes, so I actually tried it this morning. But we'll get to that in a second. Okay. The reusable, non toxic floss heads last up to a week and replace more than seven hundred single use floss picks a year.
Speaker 2: Can you please repeat that sentence again.
Speaker 1: So you actually attach a floss head to this electric floster, you know, when you can buy the bags of those little flosters that are so for people who don't like to actually just use this ring. But they're it's like anales loves those and she likes to buy these bags of those flosters. So they're saying their flossheads last for a full week and then you just replace it every week.
Speaker 2: But you're throwing something out.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, you would throw it out every week. So and then you have to buy I'll get into this too. You have to buy replacement flossheads. Yes, so it can be a gift, but you're also then requiring the recipient too that I figured out. You buy them in twenty packs. They last for four months, so you have to buy replacement packs three times a year. So we'll get into the cost of all of that, but that is something to consider, right, I'm gonna I'm going to continue with the description of the Slate electric floss designed by dentists and recommended by more than five hundred hygienists. Slate offers three sonic speeds for a gentle but powerful clean that works for braces, implants, kids, and sensitive gums. They talk about the gums sweeping massage and the tongue scraper. They say that removes thirty percent more odor causing bacteria than brushing alone, helping your breath stay fresher longer. And they say the floster was created by a dentist, sorry, a doctor who grew up terrified of dentists and then became determined to design a tool that made flossing easier for everyone, including kids. So I thought that was cool. So I tried it out this morning, and again, you've never used an electric floster before.
Speaker 2: I didn't know they existed. Was the water pick thing that knew about that one, But I'm just old school with the floor.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I tried it out, and I have to say I was a little nervous at first, because I too, am a big flosser, but I have always had sensitive teeth and gums, so I was nervous about putting this thing that was buzzing in between my teeth. I was a little timid at first, but I was pleasantly surprised I did not bleed, which I know you're not supposed to, but I do tend to. Do you bleed when you floss? Uh?
Speaker 2: None, because I do it so often.
Speaker 1: Now that i've a little bit, now you're like, whoopsie, I will. But I was impressed. I did not at all. It was very comfortable, and I actually, for the thirty minutes after I did it, I liked the way my mouth felt. I guess that's the gum massage, that's a part of it. My mouth felt really clean. And I don't know, you know how you feel when you leave the dentist and you know that they got into every nook and cranny.
Speaker 2: Uh, miserable usually yeah, I'm usually in pain. I don't know what happens after your dental visits, but yes, I do remember how I feel.
Speaker 1: Okay, well take away the pain part. You know your teeth feel really clean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got up in there like you can't exactly.
Speaker 1: So I really felt like that was the case for me where I I like the way I felt afterwards enough and it felt like my mouth or my teeth were cleaner than before, or just by using a regular flaws that it would make me want to keep doing it again. Now the was I went to look at the reviews on Amazon. They're really good. Seventy percent I would say, overwhelmingly positive five stars. That's pretty rare and hardly any negative ones. Every single comment I read was positive. That is impressive. Would you try this? With what I just said and the reviews that I read all pretty much positive, saying that they keep using it and it's worth the money.
Speaker 2: I think so I have. My questions are about I guess this is one of those you have to keep it charged.
Speaker 1: Yes, you do have to keep it charged, but they say the charge lasts forty hours or something like that, and it's really easy. You just plug it into a box and you charge it. So I guess. I don't know.
Speaker 2: How often is there a.
Speaker 1: Court there is a cord, there is a cord involved.
Speaker 2: Those things always driving just this stuff. I don't know why that turns me off. Somebody having to sit something else on the counter, here's another cord and gets junking. I don't know why that. That was my first question about it, right, is it's just going to take up space? But not what you describe sounds great, and I floss and go through a lot of flaws the replacement things or maybe give me a little pause, but.
Speaker 1: All right, so here, Yeah, so the heads can be I do think it ends up adding up. And this is an important thing. You know, we talked about last year. We had the Aura ring, which we love, but your issue was if you give this gift, you now know that the person who is going to be the recipient has to take on a was it a six dollars a month investment to continue to be able to read and use the ring. So you're giving someone a gift, but you're also saying, hey, if you want to continue to use this gift, you're now going to have to take on a price. So that is something to consider, I think when you're deciding whether or not to give this to somebody. But I did the research. Every four months, you would need to buy a pack of twenty replacement heads. Those replacement heads cost twenty nine ninety nine thirty bucks, so every four months, that makes it one hundred and twenty dollars a month, sorry, one hundred and twenty dollars a year. So you're giving someone a gift that now is going to require them to spend one hundred and twenty dollars a year to year US and you have to consider that. So then maybe the right thing to do, the nice thing to do, would be to give them a year's supply of heads. But now you've got to keep up with all those bags and put them somewhere. I always think about this from a New York City apartment standpoint. Maybe when you live in the suburbs and you have a big home and you have plenty of space to put extra things in. We don't, So that's a consideration, is well, like what would I do with all of these packs? Like I got to put them somewhere. So again, all things to consider when weighing whether or not to give this gift. But again I do want to say very comfortable, very clean, and perhaps giving someone dental hygiene is a gift that keeps on giving because it's very important.
Speaker 2: Can I ask, as well, do you know has this company been around a while? Kind of a thing? Is this such a new product that you need to worry that? Man, if it doesn't work out, then these replacement heads I'm never going to be able to get again kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: I don't think I wouldn't be worried about that so much. So here's what I know about the company. Slate is a run by a woman led team, which is pretty cool for any females out there wanting to support other females. This is one of these women led teams in Spokane, Washington. But I do like the fact that they and you go on their web page, thousands of dental professionals are saying this is an amazing product, and even some of the folks on Amazon who wrote and said their actual dentists recommended this specific to brush so sorry Flosser. So it is something that dentists recommend, highly recommend, and you do see that perpetuated on the Amazon review. So I do feel comfortable in saying this seems like a It is a legit company that is backed by dental professionals, people who know a lot more about that type of hygiene than I do. So that's something to be considered. So when we come back, we're going to talk about where you can buy it, how much it costs, and then we'll get a little teas in for our next holiday gift recommendation and welcome back everyone, we are talking about gift number six on our holiday gift Guide. We are going through December Monday through Friday, giving you a gift idea some of the hottest trends and gadgets that are out there. This one today Monday, December eighth is the Slate electric flosser. So, if you have somebody in your life who is really into their dental hygiene, or maybe you want to kindly suggest they should be. I'm not sure, however, would anyone be offended by getting this? Like, what are you saying? I need to floss more? Do I have bad breath?
Speaker 2: That's a very good question. You'd have to be very close to this person or know what they're really into. Yeah, it seems intimate somebody that you live in the house with.
Speaker 1: If you gave this to your co worker, would they be offended?
Speaker 2: You know, maybe it's a wake up call. And but look, I've had the issues I've had then. This always had to do with flossing. They always told me that is because of flossing. Last time I was there, a dentist actually told me. He said, yeah, people get so caught up and brushing their teeth. They just do that because they want their breath to smell good. You need to be flossing. We're just going to cause you problems.
Speaker 1: He told me that, and that was a big part of the cell on this one is that if you want to have better breath, and who doesn't, that this is actually the perfect gift. But again I think, yes, you have to know who you're giving it to and make sure they're not offended by the gift itself. And I did try the tongue scraperer out and it felt weird, but I'm I guess it makes sense. I mean, I do brush my tongue, so to scrape your tongue at the end, I've never done it before, but we'll see if well, it kind of felt. It wasn't painful, it just maybe kind of felt a little refreshing. Are you supposed to scrape your tongue?
Speaker 2: I see tongue cleaners for say, I'm googling stuff as we's in here. Yeah, it's a thing. Why do you need a special tongue hmmm, tongue brush?
Speaker 1: My tongue actually feels smoother right now. I just like kind of felt it on the roof of my mouth and it does feel smoother.
Speaker 2: Because they should make these for cats too.
Speaker 1: Then they can't clean themselves. They need those little things on their tongue. I don't know, So, yeah, so okay, where you can buy this. You can buy this on Amazon. Obviously, I said, I looked at the Amazon review, so that's pretty obvious. The retail price is one hundred and twenty nine dollars and ninety nine cents.
Speaker 2: I am surprised by that. That is not cheap.
Speaker 1: No, it is not. And then again you have to consider that it is an additional one hundred twenty dollars a year to use to get those replacement heads. How many they come with they come with the pack? Oh, actually, you know what so important? One, two, three, four, five, So you get.
Speaker 2: Five heads the last you five weeks.
Speaker 1: Five weeks.
Speaker 2: I mean you've got to survive the rest of almost a year.
Speaker 1: There's no way you're supposed to use these for seven days in a row. They're good for a week. So I would suggest if you get this gift, if you choose to get this gift, you should definitely already get that first pack of twenty twenty nine ninety nine. So now you're looking at one hundred and sixty bucks minimum to give this gift that has any real value, because to only give them five heads doesn't seem right.
Speaker 2: It's not gonna last them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're gonna need to consider that, and that is a big consideration. I don't know if I would want to like push this further than what they recommend this seven days, because it's kind of gross and you can come, but you know, we throw away flass after each use, so seven days is about all. That's what the company says, That's what I would keep it at.
Speaker 2: But you you know what, now that if you've broken this down, and again, I hate to get caught up on the financials here, but it is relevant when you put into context that this gift for one year is going to cost you two hundred and forty dollars, right, two hundred and forty eight plus two hundred and fifty dollars between buying it and all the replacement you're going to need. That becomes a pretty pricey gift.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people address this on some of the comments I saw, and you know what, they argued, this was the the other side of this. It's a lot cheaper than the dental work you have to get done when you don't floss properly.
Speaker 2: I am I am not our I think it is worth it. Well, you certainly seem to write your soul. I liked it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to keep using it. And it's Look, the truth is, if anyone has had cavities and crowns and me root canals, yes, I've never thanked.
Speaker 2: God, I've never had to you name it, all of it.
Speaker 1: So you know how painful and expensive that is. So if you told yourself, all right, the initial year is two fifty, but then beyond that it's one hundred and twenty a year, and I now know that my likelihood of any of that kind of dental work has drastically been reduced. That is a worthwhile investment. I think anyone who's had trouble in the dental chair will say, you know what, I'll go ahead and take a little bit of an expense on the front side instead of dealing with a lot more pain in the pocketbook and in the mouth later.
Speaker 2: Hey, we can we share it.
Speaker 1: That was a job Rose, But I was actually thinking, I guess you could change the heads out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're really blazing through it. And now we got about twice as many.
Speaker 1: All right. So anyway, tomorrow's gift actually is interesting because you could pair it with this one if you really wanted to send a message to the person you loved, if that makes any sense.
Speaker 2: Not much. Oh, okay about bad breath, We had a toothbrush coming, then tomorrow is what we got.
Speaker 1: Don't give away the teas.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I will just give away the teas. You'll have to stay tuned to see what tomorrow's UH number seven gift is for our holiday gift guide. But we hope you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Are it's right here. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I didn't even just staring at the next but.
Speaker 2: I was only listening. I wasn't actually saying. It's actually in my face.
Speaker 1: I actually have tomorrow's gift right in front of TJ. But we'll have to wait for it tomorrow. But thank you everyone for listening to us. I may be ROBOC alongside DJ Holmes. We will talk to you soon.