Speaker 1: Good Morning Football is the production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football.
Speaker 3: Welcome inside GMFB.
Speaker 4: We're live in Los Angeles and Indianapolis. It's Friday, February twenty eighth. We are in the midst of the scouting combine. I'm Jamie heard all. Here's Mante Teo. Peter Schrager is there live from Indianapolis, and Cody Kessler at the table as well this week. These two guys having performed in combine back before they played in the NFL. And Peter, you have been to every single combine.
Speaker 3: Hey, combines? Have you been too? Straight? Peter, give us a little Schreger history and walk us through how your weekend is going.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: You know it's interesting. I talked to Sean Payton, yes say, I said, what number is this for you? He said, twenty nine straight. Then I spoke to Eric DaCosta, the GM of the Ravens. He said, twenty nine straight. I've been to probably everyone since two and five, so that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: You think about it, you go through the years, that's about nineteen straight. I've seen all these guys. I saw Russell Wilson and Kellen Moore throw at the combine. I was there, so I feel very proud that I have my roots planted here in India Nightvet event.
Speaker 4: Okay, so, now, since you are continuing to plant your roots and grow your tree in Indianapolis, Peter, what's going on this weekend there?
Speaker 3: What are we looking forward to? How's your dayman?
Speaker 6: So far?
Speaker 5: All right, we kicked it off perfectly last night. The defensive line and the linebackers really were awesome, and we went through our winners in the first hour of the show.
Speaker 2: Tonight.
Speaker 5: We're going to get the tight ends and the defensive backs, so you're going to get some of the best athletes and the tight ends catching the ball. Then you're going to get the speedsters and the defensive backs, and then Saturday is.
Speaker 2: Just a bonanza of offense.
Speaker 5: It's quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, and then we ended up with the big fellows, the offensive lineman on Sunday. So my advice to anybody watching at home, put on the NFL network, take that remote control, which I know you still have, and I know you're streaming it as well, and just throw it in the garbage and just leave it on here till the rest of the week and enjoy it because it's going to be draft bonanza and these guys are all going to be balling out.
Speaker 4: All right, Peter, you started it, I'm going to go with the word bonanza. As it's time for three and out on our show on GMFB right now, We're going to start with, as Peter called it, the exciting action on Saturday in Indianapolis, it's the quarterbacks, wide receiver running backscrow. But Peter, let's start with that position. The cam Wards of the group walking down the hallway, which quarterback do you think can help themselves with their workout on Saturday having it be top notch.
Speaker 5: I think the coolest conversation I've been having here in Indianapolis is Who's number three? So it's pretty much assumed that cam Ward and Shador Sanders and you might want to toggle those two.
Speaker 2: Who's one? Who's two?
Speaker 5: Are the top two quarterbacks and they've been that the entire draft process. But who's number three? There's so many different names, and one of them that I've been talking about the entire week that I think is going to have an excellent performance is Jackson Dart Out of ole Miss Jackson darts Fen his first year at USC, then transferred to ole Miss, where he was the starter for three straight years.
Speaker 2: He's got this great way about him where it's.
Speaker 5: Not cocky, but it is also like he knows he's the man, and I think that's been felt by a lot of these teams. Loves ball, loves talking ball, and they love the fact that he played so many games in college and did so at the SEC and really took ole Miss the past two years to two of their best seasons they've had in decades. Now, does he have the armstrend, does he have the speed, Does he have the agility?
Speaker 2: All that stuff is.
Speaker 5: Why we're going to be working out and he is going to go through the drills. So I'm excited to see what Jackson Dark can do without Shador and without Cam on the field.
Speaker 2: Go own the day. I remember Justin Herbert doing just that when Burrow and Tua.
Speaker 5: We're not working out at this combine in twenty twenty, Justin Herbert was by far the most impressive quarterback on the field and he was the third quarterback taken.
Speaker 2: Jackson Dark, go and own the day Saturday.
Speaker 5: You have that opportunity go and do what we've done the last two years at All Miss, which is just play wonderful football and lead young men.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm going with Jalen Millroe.
Speaker 8: I think he has the most important performance this Saturday. Right, one of the best athletes in this entire draft, and I know he's going to test well, You're going to see him un the forty. Well, that's just the type of athlete he is. The three cone, the vertical, the broad jump. But where he can make himself some money and solidify himself as a top five quarterback in this draft is the passing portion of the combine, right when they go routes on air. He has an NFL level arm. He makes NFL level throws on film. He has a quick release too, but his footwork can get sloppy at times, and that'll lead to eron throws. And when you do that too many times, coaches or GM start worrying about, Okay, can.
Speaker 7: This guy be consistent?
Speaker 8: And one thing with Milroe that I think hurts them is that he'll look at one receiver and if it's not there, he'll try to take off and run too quickly. Right, just trust your progression, show that you can be a pocket passer and go through the progression and run the offense sets in front of you. And the other thing he does is he likes to see guys get open, and that means he'll lock on one guy and wait for them to get open instead of throwing them open.
Speaker 7: And when you get to the NFL, you cannot do that.
Speaker 8: I had to learn that the hard way my first off season in Cleveland. If you're waiting for a guy to get open and then you try to force it, Joe Hayden is ready to pick six it and take it to the house right, you get in trouble that way. So you've got to be able to throw in rhythm. He can show that this Saturday that he can go back, take five.
Speaker 7: Steps, one hitch and throw it to his spot.
Speaker 8: And another thing as a quarterback, when it comes to the combine, you are taught leading up to this is one rep you're gonna throw, You're gonna go to a guy that throws, or you're gonna throw to a guy that runs a four to three. And then the next rep you're gonna throw a guy that might run a.
Speaker 7: Four to seven or a four to eight.
Speaker 8: So you need to do your job and that's put the ball where it needs to be in the right time. And if no Roe can go out and do that and show that he can be a true pocket passer, I think he skyrockets up a draft board comes Saturday.
Speaker 9: I'm following me the same exact narrative that you have, Cody, because the guy that I'm looking at, obviously is Riley Leonard, Notre Dame guy. Everything that Cody just said, copy and paste that and put it with Brighty Leonard because he's the exact same quarterback props back as Jalen Mirroll. Now not as explosive with the run game, but he can run. You saw it all year for the Fighting Irish. His ability to scramble, extend plays, use his legs in crucial situations in the game to help this team win games. I know people talk about the National Championship and you know he had a rough game. Well, he had a rough half in the first half. Then he comes out in the second half and he starts to respond and he starts to make those plays. So for me, if I'm a general manager, it shows a guy, a quarterback, a leader that can respond to adversity that he's going to go make the corrections at halftime and come out and play better ball. I look at what he's been doing this offseason. He's been training in Mobile, Alabama with quarterback Country Supposedly there he has a scary arm right now. So I think, just like how Cody said, the throwing aspect, the throwing portion of this combine is going to be really good for Riley Leonard to see how consistent he can be with his accuracies, because throughout the year he's been a little inconsistent. Got better later in the year, But I think the throwing portion is going to be really big for him because he's going to smash in numbers as far as all the measurables.
Speaker 4: One of the important dynamics at the combine is that.
Speaker 3: The workout portion is such a fish bowl.
Speaker 4: And Peter, I'm hoping you can speak to this that when those guys walk out on the field, they are being watched by coordinators, by coaches, by scouts, anyone that wants to see how they interact with every single person, the guy that resets the broad jump, cones, anything like that.
Speaker 3: There was a.
Speaker 4: Lot of heat last year on Caleb Williams, you know, not sharing his medicals, participating in certain interviews and then not working on the field, but then he received a glowing review for really being one of the most engaged leaders on the field during the Scout and Combine weekend. Is there anybody that this is happening to this year, Peter, that we want to watch out for on Saturday, A quarterback that might not be participating, but their body language is really being studied.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's a great point.
Speaker 5: You can do a lot even just being here, and that was all Caleb Williams, he was the last person to leave, and I remember him thanking the stadium workers. Whether you thought that was for a performance art or not, it was noticed that he was there and was cheering on the other quarterbacks and was the last guy to leave the field. I want to see Shador Sanders and cam Ward if they ought not to work out, I want to see how they interact with the other quarterbacks and also how they interact with all the different people who are working in the events. You can't just be here checking your phone. People notice that stuff. So whether you think it's an act or not, be present the entire day and definitely definitely make sure that you go out of your way to pump up the other quarterbacks in the grip.
Speaker 4: All right, so that group is working out on Saturday. Quarterbacks, wide receivers, running backs. Let's move to some topics within the NFL. Time for second down. Peter, we talked at nauseam yesterday about the Matthew Stafford situation. It drags on to another day. Is this the type of deal whereas the thing goes.
Speaker 3: On longer and longer, that means it's less likely to happen?
Speaker 4: Or are the Rams just taking their sweet time because they're not busy at the Combine because they are one team that never attends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so the question is it more likely Matthew Stafford stays with the Rams the longer this plays out. The truth of the matter is the league year starts in March twelfth. Can't even make a trade to March twelfth. So the reason everybody's talking about it is because it's the buzz here at the Combine and all the teams are here, and the Raiders are here and the Giants.
Speaker 2: I guess who's not here. The Rams aren't here. The Rams are out in LA and less needs in LA. And of course you've got Sean McVay out in LA and so need is Matthew Stafford. Here.
Speaker 5: Here's my latest on everything that's going on there. As I talk to all sides of this. There have been a lot of conversations in the last twenty four hours between Sean McVay and Matthew Stafford directly. There is expected to be another conversation today. I would expect.
Speaker 2: The more conversations they have, and it's the two of.
Speaker 5: Them, it's not agent talking to it's the quarterback and the coach. And the more that they can talk and get on the same ground and kind of finally, the better chance it is that Matthew Stafford returns to the La Rams.
Speaker 2: I will note this, the money might be.
Speaker 5: Different if he goes to the Raiders, goes to the Giants, or goes to a team X than it would be with the Rams. It's almost as if he might have to end up swallowing it.
Speaker 2: And taking for a little bit less to come back with the Rams.
Speaker 5: Other than uprooting his entire life and starting anew and trying to start at thirty seven with a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in the last couple of years. So I would think the longer this goes on, yeah, I think it actually helps the RAMS, But I also think the next forty eight hours are going to be very important as far.
Speaker 2: As communication, coming to terms.
Speaker 5: And seeing whether these guys want to run it back one more year.
Speaker 9: Yes, Trigs, I would talk about communication. It makes sense why that communication between Matt Stafford and Sean mcvac they has been more consistent than the other teams because right now we're talking about the combine, there's thirty thirty one other teams that are trying to analyze the talent that is coming into the NFL in the twenty twenty five NFL Draft, and so I'm not sure if all that attention can be paid solely on Matt Stafford for these other teams. So it's really good for the RAMS and their chances of resigning Matt Stafford that Sean McVay and the Rams aren't at in Indianapolis at the combine, but that they have the personal relationship and they have the time now to have those one to one conversations, those personal conversations. Obviously, he's been there for a few years, so they know him very well, and I'm sure they would like to make a deal done. So I do agree with you, Peter, that the longer disdain drags out, and the more conversations that the Rams can have with matt Stafford without any distractions distructions of the other thirty one teams, I think the chances of him stay staying in LA increases.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I e goo both of that. I just I do believe though.
Speaker 8: I think the sooner that the Rams can get this deal done, the quicker they can move on right and focus on other areas of their roster. They do have a young talented roster, one of the most young talented rosters in the NFL right now. And we saw what Matthew Stafford did with them a year ago, went all the way to the divisional round.
Speaker 7: And I like what Peter said too.
Speaker 8: If you start over at thirty seven, if I'm Matthew Stafford, you don't know what that's going to look like. And the Raiders may come in, who are second in calorie and salary cap space right now, they could come in and operate a ton of money. Tim, you have Pete Carroll who comes in right if he wants to come in. He's hungry, he wants to go out there and win. They can come in and throw a lot of money at him.
Speaker 7: But is that in his.
Speaker 8: Best interest to go over there if he wants to win another Super Bowl?
Speaker 7: I think the answer is you stay.
Speaker 8: With the Rams, You try to get the same figured out as quickly as possible, and then you help out this young roster by going and buying some veterans and some better depth and run it back in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: I also think of it from a public relations standpoint here, where Stafford will be taking less with the Rams and he would be making with the Raiders or the Giants. So if any RAMS fan was thinking that he was greedy, like if he does come back, it's going to be a restructured deal. They'll figure it out, but it won't be the numbers that they would have gotten on the open.
Speaker 2: Market, and it's not even an open market. That's the thing.
Speaker 5: He is under contract with the Rams, So Jimmy Sext and his agent is able to talk to these teams, but Stafford directly can't go and meet with the Giants. Stafford directly can't technically go meet with the Raiders. We know about their Montana interaction with Brady, but that wasn't a full meeting with Pete Carroll and with Chip Kelly, like he would have to know exactly what he's going into. And I'll add this other part here. Family stuff matters. For Stafford a father of four young girls, they are very happy in Los Angeles. You'd like to think they could make this thing work. And if you're the Rams, do you up the money just a little bit? Do you figure it out, keep your guy happy and let's run it back one more year, or do you say let's tear it down now where his stock would be at his all time high and we can actually get some draft picks and pay some of the young guys in future years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Between bringing a Lombardi to LA and the rams involvement and support of the community with the LA fires and Stafford's the Stafford family direct involvement in that, you can imagine the ties that they now feel to this part of the country. And if it does end up this way that Stafford runs it back, it should be to no surprise for anybody. All Right, They're down back to the combine to Prospects twenty twenty four, Heids and trophy winterer Travis Hunter was asked Thursday about playing both offense and defense full time in the NFL, and here.
Speaker 3: Was his answer.
Speaker 10: They say, everybody, nobody has ever done it for real the way I do it. But I tell him that I'm just different. I'm a different person. But I feel like I'll put my body through a lot. I do a lot of treatment. People that get to see that part what I do for my body to make sure I'm one hundred percent in each game. But I feel I can do it because nobody have done it, and I know I could do I did at college level, which the game is. You know, we really get we rarely get breaks in It's a lot more breaks in the NFL, all right.
Speaker 3: You know it's different.
Speaker 4: This media scrum around Travis Hunter. This is the look from Stacy Dale's. This is what this young man is answering and preparing for, because what he's.
Speaker 3: Trying to accomplish is an anomaly.
Speaker 4: Peter, what do you make of Travis Hunter's comments, Whether or not you agree with that in the NFL you get more breaks or not. What do you make of Travis Hunter and his approach trying to play two way full time in the NFL.
Speaker 5: Travis Hunter averaged one hundred and twelve snaps a game, not last year, the last two years playing in major college football at Colorado, and he won a Heisman Trophy. And as he said, just because it's never been done doesn't mean I can't. I think Travis Hunter is a top five pick. I might go as far as saying Travis Hunter is a top three pick.
Speaker 2: That is how good he's viewed. And we've heard different opinions.
Speaker 5: You heard Brian Callahan here at the combine say that you know he's a corner, and then you heard Andrew Berry, the GM of the Browns who has the second pick, saying he's always also a wide receiver, like you can use him in both places. I like the fact that he's confident in his abilities and wants to be the first to ever do it. I work with Charles Woodson on the weekends for Fox. Charles Woodson obviously had his offensive snaps at Michigan, won a Heisman as a corner, got to the NFL, and was used very sparingly in anything but cornerback. I think Travis Hunter looks at himself differently, and I wonder if there's a head coach who says if I am taking a defensive back or a wide receiver in the top three, is it not worth it to at least try to see if we can get this guy as much action as we can on the field. Remember, corners and wideouts, they don't go first overall.
Speaker 2: Keith Shawn went first overall. That was in ninety six.
Speaker 5: It's the last time we've seen a wide receiver go first overall. We've never seen a corner go first overall, not that I can recall. I'm sure there might have been someone in the fifties of the sixties, But in recent years, you've seen a couple of corners go two. You've seen Jeff Akuda go three. You see Stingley go three from the Texans. But to go one or two, that's so high. I would love it if he was the first one to go both. And I like the fact that he's confident that he can. Let the coaches tell you can't. Don't come in here and say, look, I'm only going to be playing this position. Don't be making any demands. Go in there and compete at every position. I would love to see him compete at both sides.
Speaker 2: In the drills. We'll see if we get that tonight and on Saturday.
Speaker 9: Strikes and narrative has been about the physicality of it, the snapcount, his treatment, his body's ready for this. My argument with with Travis is this, The difference between college and the NFL is mental. That's the mental part. So right now, in college, this is the playbook right here, that's how big it is. In the NFL, it looks like this. And if you're gonna play both ways, it's gonna look like this. So for me, if I'm Travis Hunter, it's I'd rather limit it to one. Let me matter one. I'm not against Travis playing both ways.
Speaker 7: I am not. What I am against is.
Speaker 9: As a rookie who's transitioning from college where the place they aren't as elaborate, they aren't there, there aren't as many and then you're going to go into the NFL game where you're going to have a playbook that is as thick as a Harry Potter series and you're gonna have to memorize that, and then you're gonna have to memorize the opposite.
Speaker 7: Side of the ball.
Speaker 9: And oh, by the way, if you do play ride receiver in the NFL game, you have to play multiple positions in wide receiver, you can't just play Z receiver, X receiver. You got to play them all. You gotta play the slot. If you can't, a defense is going to know those tendencies. Oh he only lines up here, he only runs these routes, then that production doesn't really look the same. So for Travis, play one master one and then go throughout the rest and try them out. But I think if you can limit it to one playbook, I think you should be fine.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I have no doubt that Travis Hunter can play both sides of the ball in the NFL.
Speaker 7: It's just the question is to what extent.
Speaker 8: Like Manti said, I think when it comes down to it, he's gonna have to pick a position, whether it's play offense and have some packages on defense or play corner and then come in for some packages on offense. But people said he couldn't do it in college, right, They said it wasn't sustainable, that they question the durability that he would have, And he went out there and proved them wrong. And all he did they do that, he did it at the highest level and one a Heisman Trophy. So I'm not going to sit here and doubt him. But I will say this, It frustrated me a little bit was when Travis Hunter came out and said, you know, I want to play one hundred percent of the snap. So a lot of people looked at as arrogant, as cocky. Well he'll learn, like he doesn't understand. I saw it as someone that's a competitor and that's willing to do whatever it takes to win football games. And he's going to go to a organization and tell the coach, Look, if I need to play one hundred percent of the snap on both sides of the football, I'm willing to do that. If I have to play fifty percent of the snap, I'm willing to do that as well. So when I look at Travis Hunter, I just see a competitor and a kid that wants to win, and someone that enjoys playing the game of football on both sides of the ball. And I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you draft Travis Hunter, you are getting two players for the price of one. He is that valuable and you're immediately making your team better come April.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm going to generalize grossly here because I'm not trying to shame any guy that went up against Travis Hunter when he played in college. But there were some highlights I just watched there where the move that Travis Hunter had to make off the line as a wide receiver was about ten percent of the effort that he is going to have to do to beat a cornerback in the NFL, these guys are the best of the best at their position. If this young man wants to go and compete on both sides, you think you were dog tired at the end of a college ruble game. Like the emotional, the mental, and the physical demand that this takes, because this is not you're not going up against some of these schools that you had to go against.
Speaker 3: And like, I'm again not trying to offend anybody, but some of those beats that he had.
Speaker 4: For like running in for a touchdown, the corner just kind of like stood there after you broke his ankle one time, Like this is the comeback and the effort on the corners And frankly, if you're a corner you're going up against Justin Jefferson and the Vikings and you're going to turn around and play wide receiver, that is an insane ask and to demand Peter for this young man. I just find it like this is an incredible challenge, an incredible accomplishment at the college level, and incredible challenge in the NFL.
Speaker 5: It is, and it's been on president like we don't see it. Chuck bed and Arek played both ways. In nineteen sixty. We saw Dion Sanders catch a few long balls with the Cowboys and have a couple of receptions in a Super Bowl like we've seen in spots, but we've never seen someone do it full time the way he's looking to do it. I did speak with one general manager this week here and I was like, where do you have hundred? He's like, you can make the argument he's the best corner and he's the best wide receiver in this draft. If that's the case, Jamie, he may be different.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I'm biased.
Speaker 8: I'm a former quarterback and I still stand loud by what I said earlier in the week. I am knocking on my offensive coordinator's door to my GM door the next day after we draft Travis Hunter, saying this is why he needs to play offense right And to Manti's point, he said something great there, very important is if you overload yourself mentally by trying to learn two playbooks, and it was very hard.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I can't speak on defense, but on offense, it was so difficult when you get there for rookie mini camp to try to learn those plays and in the same day go out there and perform at the best of your ability while all the coaches are watching right and your future and that organization is on the line.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 8: Obviously he'll be a high draft pick. He's not out there for a tryout basis or any of those things. But I just see it as if he overloads himself mentally, are you going to be great at one position? Are you going to be I don't want to say average, but not play it to the best of your ability if you're trying to do too much, especially early on in your career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, isn't that quarterback knocking the same door that if he gives up on a route because he's so tired from playing corner or like the next day. I mean, it's just it's a lot And this is not knocking again what he can or cannot do. It's just that we want him to be great at whatever position that he picks.
Speaker 3: It's it's a really hard choice because they're really fun to watch him play.
Speaker 4: Still the com this is one of the great questions of the Combine, is where Travis Hunter goes.
Speaker 3: And what he does with that skills that he has.
Speaker 4: We're going to head back to Indianapolis for some of the best sites in sounds. From day one at the Combine, Timmy Checks has been out there getting to know the guys when they get done with the workout and their off field stuff.
Speaker 3: She's so good at this. We have a whole look.
Speaker 4: Back, plus we're going to look at guys and their futures with some of the most memorable moments from this past season.
Speaker 3: More GMFB when we return.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football.
Speaker 5: One of the cool things about being here in Indianapolis is getting a chance to catch up with all the general managers and the coaches who are present. That can be everything from the defensive line coach of a certain team or to the highest of certain organizations. And I had the opportunity last night to speak with one of the best personnelmen in all of football and a guy who's running one of.
Speaker 2: The best organizations in the sports.
Speaker 5: Here is my interview with Eric DaCosta the VP and the general manager of the Baltimore Ravens.
Speaker 2: Last night, very.
Speaker 5: Happy to be here with the general manager and the EVP of the Baltimore Ravens, mister Eric DaCosta.
Speaker 2: We were just talking off camera a little bit.
Speaker 5: Twenty ninth combine with the same NFL team, Is that right?
Speaker 7: It is?
Speaker 2: I've been blessed.
Speaker 11: And you know my first combine nineteen ninety seven, I sat with Ozzie Newsom here I am now twenty nine years later, I'm still sitting up there with Ozzie Newsom watching players.
Speaker 5: Who do you remember it was? It like, I guess it's after Ray Lewis, but I gotta think like Ed Reed and Bulwear and Hellodi Nada, all these guys you remember seeing them here in.
Speaker 11: Indy Terrell suggs Helodi put on a show here, Ed Reid, you know all those guys recently, you know, Kyle Hamilton, Tyler Lindebaum, guys like that, Zay Flowers. You know, we've been blessed. I've seen a bunch of them. Joe Flacco, I mean, you know, put on an exhibition here. So I've had a chance to see a lot of great players play here and we've been fortunate to draft a lot of those guys.
Speaker 2: They call you e DC.
Speaker 5: In earlier this month, Lamar Jackson joke that it's DC because every dollar counts. There are some decisions to be made in Baltimore this offseason. When do you start really digging in because we know there's been lots of conversations with agents and you start talking to the players, but there are some big decisions in Baltimore to be made right now.
Speaker 11: Well, I would say that DC stands for every draft counts because we never have any money. We're always up against the cap, and our job is really to find the best talent we can Here. We have eleven picks. I think this year, you know, we're going to try and retain some of our guys. We do have some free agents, not quite as many as last year, but we definitely have some tough decisions to make. In saying that you're looking at our team, we would have the majority of the team coming back this year, which is exciting based on the season we just had with a great opportunity to improve, you know, via the draft. I think it's a good draft with quality players in every round, and I would expect us to have a very good team in the field next year.
Speaker 5: I would think most people would agree that the Baltimore Ravens have one of the best front offices, most consistent front offices. But it sounded like this week when they were talking to you in the media, you're getting contributions from everybody. Apparently Lamar Jackson weighs in on some players, especially in the Florida region, of guys that he's had his eye on.
Speaker 2: Do you really consult some of the players on guys that they like I do?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 11: I think you've got the best in the business plan for you. It's wise to consider their opinions at different times, and I think too, it's a great way to build relationships with your guys to ask them about players that might have played with, guys they've seen on TV, guys from their hometowns.
Speaker 7: You know, they feel a part of the process. It's a fun thing.
Speaker 11: Our guys love college football, so they watch the games on Saturdays. They definitely in some case they have strong opinions. We don't feel obligated to band to those opinions every single year, but it's a nice aspect of my job to be able to talk to these guys and get their opinions on players.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 5: Hey, twenty nine years of the com years with the Ravens, all with one team in an NFL career that's been really decorated.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: Thanks Pete.
Speaker 5: He's a good man right there, and he's a great evaluator. Last year they took Nate Wiggins of the first round, and of course Wiggins was a starting corner by into the season, one of the best rookies in the game. Eric DeCosta values the combine. So many of these general managers do. They're on the premises. We're going to see them all, hopefully. I'm interviewing a couple tonight on the coverage. I think Brandon Bean has agreed. We'll see if they actually follow through. That's a test publicly, Brandon, you better.
Speaker 2: Stand with me there.
Speaker 5: Okay, So Jamie, we go back to you guys at the table and honor to be here as always.
Speaker 2: I just love it. I'm a kid in a candy store.
Speaker 4: I bet maybe we'll just take this one minute in after that conversation just to really wax poetic about how great the Ravens have been the last couple of years and a lot of that has to do with the decisions that the brass and their team makes. The Zay Flowers pick has been one that has really shine and that is a young man who's kind of been through it in the NFL. I think he arrived in this organization that the high powered why wide receiver just wasn't where they put their investment in that position for a long time, and now he has kind of carved out a beautiful role for himself within this offense that has Lamar Jackson at the helm.
Speaker 3: I think the Ravens are great.
Speaker 4: I think they are one of the cornerstone organizations in the NFL and the way they conduct their business over draft weekend, and it really starts Cody with the combine with how impressive the Ravens have been with their decision making.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I love what the Costas said about, you know, and to what extent by having Lamar Jackson play a role and who they're in to their roster, you know, And when you talk about teams like that, it's a continuity, right. You have the same head coach, the same front office, the same quarterback. And I know there was that time when when you know they gave Lamar Jackson the franchise tag and he went and looked other options, but then he came home and stayed with the Ravens. Just when you have continuity and teams in the AFC that you think about with like the Ravens, the Bills, the Chiefs, that's why they're competitive year in and year out, and they trust each other. When you build that relationship, it's it's difficult to beat those teams, right, and that's why they stay so consistent for a long time. So I love that interview. That was a great job by Peter and in DaCosta.
Speaker 9: Whether continuity as a result of the success, right, like if you don't have success, there's a lot of firings that go on a lot of transitions, a lot of people have to go elsewhere, and so there are certain teams that operate at a level of detail that's a little bit different. You would think that in the NFL everybody's the same, but the experience based on the team may be a little bit different. And when you go to the better teams in the NFL that now we would to say better teams, the teams that you consistently see in the playoff, they just.
Speaker 7: Do things a little bit different. The Ravens are one of them.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so Peter, despite having any pigot a litter of envy general manager that's walking through the corridor and he flags him down and says, hey, can I ask you a couple of questions? He's not the only one. Like a kid in the candy store in Indianapolis. Kimmy Checks is there as well. She is stationed down on the field during the workouts. She has been crushing it at the Combine. Let's take a look back at some of the best moments from Kimmy Checks and the participants working out this weekend.
Speaker 7: We're live and three two one. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. This is Kimmy and I'm Danny, and.
Speaker 6: We are Danny and Kimmy. Kimmy and Danny. There you go live at the twenty twenty five scouting comment. You actually just stole my introduction.
Speaker 12: But hello, Danny, how are you lying backer from Oklahoma here at the combine?
Speaker 7: Amazing? How about yourself?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great? But this isn't your interview.
Speaker 7: This is all right. I'll give you the key, I'll give you back to Keys.
Speaker 13: I'm sorry, Okay, thank you, Keys coming back to me, defensive lineman representing oleness today here in Indianapolis, Walter Nolan, you described your skill set in saying I'm the next Aaron Donald Man.
Speaker 7: I wholeheardly believe that. I can't wait to show it.
Speaker 14: So I heard you said You're the next Aaron Donald Man.
Speaker 2: It's a short time you get to play this game and go.
Speaker 12: Bad fant But Mason Graham and Kenneth Grant?
Speaker 6: Who has a better sax celebration?
Speaker 2: Oh, who's a.
Speaker 6: Better trash talker? Who has better style?
Speaker 3: Mason?
Speaker 6: Mason's the drift.
Speaker 7: Yeah he got the d for ship.
Speaker 6: It's funnier.
Speaker 7: He's just goofy, Like, who's.
Speaker 12: A better dancer? It's gonna be swaggier on drafted mar Stewart out of Texas A And and how.
Speaker 6: Do you feel?
Speaker 5: I feel?
Speaker 7: I feel like I could be doing a little bit better.
Speaker 6: Though, where are all the dogs fans at across the world? And you will be so excited because.
Speaker 12: I'm here with one of your own, linebacker, Dalen Walker. You've got a lot of skill though, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I got a little bunnies.
Speaker 14: Going back to my freshman year in high school when the duck contest and.
Speaker 15: Crazy enough that jump before jumping over, and that was my first time doing that.
Speaker 7: So that first I was like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're in a dunk contest. I was like, oh really, They're like yeah. I was like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 7: And I was like, I have no idea. So I found one of my friends crowd and I was like, hey, let me jump over, and.
Speaker 6: He trusted you.
Speaker 12: I trusted who fought linebacker representing ole miss here with me.
Speaker 6: As a cambine poo.
Speaker 7: You made it?
Speaker 6: Are you still nervous?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 6: I did the thing? Now I'm done. Now I can take a deep breath.
Speaker 14: It's kind of a sour relief at this moment. I really got past.
Speaker 7: My biggest thing was was my forty and I did a fantastic job.
Speaker 6: I love this too.
Speaker 12: It's like the hard work has been a grind slight five one five.
Speaker 14: That's insane, just for real, you know, something right, eating right? You know it's just with my coach bunte in the bag, you know, hyping me up.
Speaker 7: I mean, you can't teach that.
Speaker 2: That's just pliny.
Speaker 7: No, this right here, Tell me about it. Tell me about I grew up in South Georgia.
Speaker 14: Most of my family are Falcon fans, and when I seen him, I immediately started fangirling.
Speaker 7: I'm not ashamed to say it.
Speaker 14: I started fangirling, and I was like, man, I have to have a photo with you. As you can see, I'll pull in a serious face because I didn't want to show all my brackets.
Speaker 12: But I was like, Heileek Williams of the Ohio State University.
Speaker 6: Where do you get all this feed from what's going on?
Speaker 7: I played running back when I was younger.
Speaker 2: I played all the skilled positions when I was when I was younger.
Speaker 7: You know, just put a little weight on, but the feet never leave me.
Speaker 12: Landon Jackson edge Rusher from Arkansas, so I.
Speaker 7: Know I could get up, but forty and a half. I mean I impressed myself.
Speaker 8: I tried getting back to kids like myself that are growing up with alopece more to life than stressing about that.
Speaker 7: I mean, everybody's different and brace being different.
Speaker 12: Edge Rusher out of Marshall, Mike Green in the house, you've got hops.
Speaker 6: Are you ready to take this to the league next level?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Hopefully I don't get like fine or anything for it.
Speaker 12: You've been kind of famous for your celebrations. He's like a bow and arrow boom.
Speaker 7: I was a dog and I feel like I'm the best player in the country. Only it's a chill guy, you know.
Speaker 2: I like to crack jokes on the side, just a disruptor, make plays.
Speaker 7: You're just getting a dog.
Speaker 8: You're getting a guy who's gonna go out there and give it us all, every every snap.
Speaker 7: People have been telling me I'm not this, I'm not that.
Speaker 2: You would never get there.
Speaker 7: Oh, you're over exaggerating.
Speaker 2: You've been delusional.
Speaker 7: Kids. Keep your dreams.
Speaker 14: People may not see the vision, but you see it and that's all that matters.
Speaker 6: Danny and Kimmy, this is our show.
Speaker 7: Great show. Pleasure to have me on here and dropping the mic.
Speaker 3: Awesome job, Kimmy. Wait to get those guys to open up a little bit.
Speaker 4: I know the gms and the coaches appreciate seeing their personalities.
Speaker 3: There is Shadre Sanders walk in the hallway.
Speaker 4: We were just talking about how he's not gonna work out, But what is he gonna say? How is he gonna present himself in the meetings?
Speaker 3: Well, we're gonna hear from him. He spoke at the podium. You can imagine the scrum around him. You're gonna hear for sh Door Sanders.
Speaker 16: Next from the from the combine, Good Morning.
Speaker 17: Football, NFL scott a combine, One time throw a winner, one time for a winner, cool to one official, one time for a winner, one time for.
Speaker 7: This is seven eleven. I'm always open, baby.
Speaker 17: One time for a winner, one time for a winn about.
Speaker 15: A NFL network forget your boys on since hour candy riding spot.
Speaker 2: Not that they have any one time one time for winner twelve two on the broad Jump went up hands in the.
Speaker 3: Stregs.
Speaker 4: You're gonna put that hoodie in, sunglasses and combine necklace on again and do the tunnel shot with the confetti.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 5: I gotta say it is a great tradition when we see our on air partners and our friends here an NFL network stepp into the tunnel with the confetti and you hold the ball and you kind of do one of these. I haven't done the tunnel shot yet. In fact, I've been here in this seat for the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: Shut I slept here last night, guys.
Speaker 5: So it's nice and cozy, it's good, the lighting is perfect. But yeah, I'll be here again all day to day and all night tonight, So let's look forward to what we got up ahead.
Speaker 4: Okay, So to Peter's points, everyone is on all hands on deck and Indianapolis, the coverage is wall to wall and every time a position group is up for the day the day before they work out, that means that they have to do media availabilities and the meet for the team. The quarterbacks are talking today, Cody, So Shador Sanders is going to have to stand up at a podium and answer questions about his time in college, his family, his life. What can you tell us about watching him in college and just the personality that he is and make sure it really stays to shudure and it doesn't kind of bleed into who his dad is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean the interviews are almost more important than the on the field stuff, right because you can watch all of their film and I truly believe that, yes, on the field workouts of the combine are important, the pre draft process, all of that, But your game film tells a lot more of the story of who you are.
Speaker 7: But those coaches gms don't.
Speaker 8: Don't get to sit down with you face to face as much, right, So now you get a chance to show your personality And my biggest advice with that is be authentic, but also be honest, because if they're asking you a question, I promise they already know the answer because they've done their research.
Speaker 7: They've done their due diligence.
Speaker 8: When you're shaudor Sanders too, and you're going to be that high of a draft pick or potentially that high of a draft pick, they've done all of their research.
Speaker 7: But they want to know what type of person they're getting in their building.
Speaker 8: And can they trust you if you sit there and say things that aren't completely honest or you you know, beat around butsch a little bit and they're gonna ask him about the watch thing and about all those you know, is that your personality?
Speaker 7: Do that for show?
Speaker 8: Just be honestly authentic because when get in the locker room, guys trust you when you're authentic.
Speaker 7: Don't be someone new every single day.
Speaker 3: All right, let's see it for itself.
Speaker 4: Should were Sanders at the podium from Indianapolis right now.
Speaker 15: I've been through six different OC's, you know, so I'm able to adjust to in the office in every scheme and make it work. We went from Jackson State to Colorado and change two programs back to back. So you don't think I could come to the NFL franchise and change the program again. It's history. We've done it again, It's always gonna repeat it. So I'm truly thankful. You know, my dad was able to assemble a staff. He was able to assemble because it's knowledge everywhere. We're able to talk to the running back coach, receiver coaches, defensive coordinators, all these different types of coaches to give you the perspective and what you need to improve on and grow at.
Speaker 7: So I'm realistic.
Speaker 15: You know, I know what I need to improve on, I know what I need to grow at, and year by year, cut on the tape, those mistakes cut down yearly, So I'm hyper aware of everything I need to do to be successful. So I'm ready to get to it. If you ain't trying to change the franchise or the coach, that don't give me. So you should know history repeats itself over and over and over, and I've done it over and over and over, so it should be no question why NFL franchise should pick me. You think I'm worried about what critics saying, what people got to say? You know who my dad is they hate it on him too, so it's like it's almost normal without people hating. It's not normal for us. So we like the adversity. We like everything that comes with the name. That's why we are who we are.
Speaker 4: Okay, Peter, what do you think about first answers We're hearing out of store at the podium in Indie.
Speaker 5: He's got a way about him where it comes off very confident, but it doesn't come across as cocky or arrogant, which is important. I also think being Dion's kid and also having a spotlight on you since you were in middle school and then high school and then choosing Jackson State and then going to Colorado. Like, I don't think New York is too big for him. I can't say that for every quarterback. I don't think that the historical woes of Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be too big for him.
Speaker 5: Like, if this guy comes in, he's already had a spotlight on him, he's already been a superstar, and he's already had all the questions and doubters. So I actually kind of like the way he approaches this. He knows who he is, He's comfortable in.
Speaker 2: His own skin. The football will be a different story.
Speaker 5: But you better not think you're getting somebody who's scared of the moment.
Speaker 2: With Shadora Sanders.
Speaker 4: Nanty, you were very intensely listening to the way he was talking.
Speaker 9: You know, personally, for me, I'm just not a talker. I'd rather show and improve and do all of those things. And you know, I'm confident in myself and my abilities to go out there and be a leader that you need me to be for your franchise. But I'm not going to talk about my accolades and all of this stuff. I'm gonna let the outside do that for me. And you know, we talked earlier this week with Will when you talked about what arrogance, Oh oh.
Speaker 4: Will Packer's healthy arrogance.
Speaker 9: You know, there's a healthy arrogance that you can go about and you need that in the NFL. It's it's a room flowed with alpha's and you have to beat the alpha. So you know, credit to him is just not my way that I'll go about it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I mean that was a perfect example of what I was just saying. Authenticity, Right, that's who you're going to be in front of the media. Now, that's the way you're going to be in front of the media when you get to our organization general managers.
Speaker 7: Although it may.
Speaker 8: Look cocky and flirt in the line with confident and cocky, that's authentic and they want to know what they're getting in their building.
Speaker 7: So I'm fine with it. I get it.
Speaker 8: Just when you start making comments like that when you get to the NFL, you got to back it up right, and you've got to stay true to who you are. You can't switch up if things don't go the way you want. But again, this is a confident young man that's had a lot of pressure on his shoulders. He changed the culture down at Colorado right, and I know he had Travis Hunter and his dad and other people helping out. But at the end of the day, I love the confidence I think he has go out there and then improve some people wrong.
Speaker 4: We had his dad, Dion Sanders, on GMFBOT from the Super Bowl week and when I asked him about people's opinions whether or not he should be involved in his son's meetings with teams. How he very simply said, if your child had to go have surgery, wouldn't you walk into the hospital with them and consult with the doctor and you know a coach. That's a good point, and it kind of stopped me right there. It's a valid explanation, but the fact that it's Dion and it's Shadeur and it's the Sanders family it also carries a different weight.
Speaker 3: But that is a very charming smile. That is a very.
Speaker 4: Talented young man and he's putting the words out there and now Peter and everybody at the table, he's going to have to fulfill that not only this weekend, but at the draft and onto his NFL career.
Speaker 3: It's time for.
Speaker 4: Next jen stats powered by aws Man.
Speaker 3: You better bring it.
Speaker 4: If you're getting putting on a screen between Miles Garrett and Texas A and m pass Rusher Shamar Stuart. This is the comparison chart. Here you how the stats and the numbers match up with his fellow former Texas A and m pass rusher. The numbers look eerily similar and Stuart even has him on the speed. This will time will tell, excuse me if Schamar can turn into the type of player that Miles Garrett is now. But when you look at the forty one to the forty on the vertical and all that Jazz. That's pretty cool. You can see more real time Combine results and in depth analysis featuring next gen stats in the new Combine IQ dashboard exclusively.
Speaker 3: On NFL dot com.
Speaker 4: Go check it out NFL dot com slash Combine IQ. Guys, it's quarterbacks they're talking today. Jackson Dart is at the podium now in Indianapolis, and of course, as they always are, these guys are asked who they mirror their games after.
Speaker 3: Here's the answer from Jackson Dart.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 18: You know, I feel like it's a little bit of a cop out because he just won the Super Bowl, But you know, I love Jay Hurts and what he does. I feel like I'm very similar in my play style to him. I feel like we we can do a lot of the same things. You know, obviously, he's an elite player and I'm trying to reach that level. But you know, he's been somebody that I've tried to resemble my game after, just because of his versatility, being able to run and throw the ball, and just you know, how strong he is in the pocket. I think that's something that I've had a lot of fun, you know, watching and observing his play style.
Speaker 4: Guy's got a brother, a little brother named Diesel, as Cody just so eloquently reminded us, we love Jackson Dart.
Speaker 3: We love answers like.
Speaker 4: That as man type waited out, Jay hurts, not Jalis Jay, it hurts.
Speaker 3: That's all right, It's not a cop out.
Speaker 4: I think if you want to play quarterback in the NFL, you can model yourself after.
Speaker 3: A guy that won a Lombardi.
Speaker 4: We're gonna have more sound from the quarterbacks and the wide receivers and the running backs speaking at the podium today on GMFB right here and the rest of the day on NFL Network. We're back on GMFB, Peter. People are just walking the hallways. The cameras are going. We're trying to keep track of these guys without their college uniforms on. We're just getting used to them in the NFL. Peter, what are you looking forward to today?
Speaker 2: Today's going to be great.
Speaker 5: We got to tight ends to the defensive back tonight, but we have all the drills Saturday and Sunday too. I want to thank everyone on the ground here in Indianapolis a couple good days here. I want to thank Carly Lindsay, our wonderful producer, Barb who's been great and everyone here in Indy stay with us here on NFL Network. Awesome stuff all week. And guys, you guys have been tremendous in studio.
Speaker 3: Peter, you're crushing it.
Speaker 4: Did you get that confirmation text from Brandon Bean that he's going to sit down with you, buddy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna sit down with you. Just publicly shamed him.
Speaker 7: So I'll have you to night with the combat.
Speaker 3: Peter. Enjoy, we appreciate everything.
Speaker 4: Happy Friday, enjoy your whole weekend, and enjoy uh whatever time off you get after this, because you've been working like a dog.
Speaker 3: Peter Schrager, enjoy the combine. Everybody,