Speaker 1: Dream Sequence is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television, and Realm.
Speaker 2: Tell me about your sleep paralysis? How long?
Speaker 3: About a year?
Speaker 2: How did it start?
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 3: I heard them in the hallway giggling in a sort of taunting way. And each night they're giggling got closer to my door, until one night they opened it and I saw them the twins.
Speaker 2: Who are the twins?
Speaker 3: A boy and a girl? But they're like made of static and they each have a little knife, And each night they get a little closer to my bed.
Speaker 2: The last time you experienced sleep paralysis? How far away were they from your bed?
Speaker 3: About three feet? They started whispering to me, saying the same thing over and over.
Speaker 2: What do they whisper?
Speaker 3: You won't wake up?
Speaker 2: How long have you been? Sleep walking?
Speaker 5: Off and on? For as long as I can remember? But it didn't really bother me until last month.
Speaker 2: Well it's happened.
Speaker 5: I sleep drove, which I didn't even know as possible.
Speaker 2: It's rare, but it happens.
Speaker 6: The scary thought, where'd you drive to.
Speaker 5: My child at home? It's about ten miles from where I'm living now. And when I got out, there was blood on the grill. So I turned myself out of the police and they were able to rule out human blood, which was a big relief. But I mean, somebody's probably wondering what happened to their dog.
Speaker 7: They talk in my sleep. I can never pronounce the word for it.
Speaker 2: Some mniloquy.
Speaker 7: Not as big of a deal as other people's issues, but it has affected my life a lot of frightened girlfriends.
Speaker 2: What do you say in your sleep?
Speaker 7: Scary things, apparently, things I never say while awake. My last girlfriend broke up with me over it.
Speaker 2: What did she say? You said?
Speaker 7: She wouldn't tell me, she just packed her stuff, wouldn't return my calls or texts, and she I, I'm sorry. I really loved her.
Speaker 2: Maybe after this is over, you won't have this problem anymore. You mean that sincerely.
Speaker 6: What do you do here here?
Speaker 2: It's just your typical sleep center, your monitor. We prescribe medicine and tell you not to drink coffee after five pm? Do you have health insurance?
Speaker 7: I'm between jobs another recent development. I swear it feels like everything's gone to shit in my life. Sorry about the language, sir.
Speaker 2: Use whatever language best expresses yourself. Are you aware of how expensive a sleep study.
Speaker 7: Is I saved up some money. I don't think I can move on with my life until I get this taken care of.
Speaker 2: We do have another location, a bit more remote, a bit more relaxing, a bit cheaper free.
Speaker 7: In fact, what's the catch.
Speaker 2: The catch is that it's a new method, unproven.
Speaker 7: You're not talking about cutting me open, are you?
Speaker 2: No surgery, no pills?
Speaker 8: What? Then?
Speaker 2: You just sleep and dream and talk to me. The idea is that you have this sleep disordered because of a psychological issue.
Speaker 7: I've had therapists already. They haven't really, it's.
Speaker 2: Not just therapy. While you sleep, you'll be monitored.
Speaker 7: So it's the same thing, just with added therapy.
Speaker 9: Not recording.
Speaker 10: I don't believe I forgot to record. I never forget.
Speaker 9: So here's what I've learned. The National Center for Health Services keeps what's called an NDI, a National death Index. Around three million people die in the United States each year, so around eight thousand deaths per day. On May seventeenth, seven years ago, nineteen thousand people died in the United States, over double the normal amount, which makes it the deadlyast day in American history. No one talks about it because there was no single event to look to. It just looks like a statistical aberration.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 9: I've gone through thousands of obituaries of people who died that day. Most of them lists the cause of death as cardiac rests or SUNS Sudden Unexplainable nocturnal death syndrome, which is basically just cardiac rest in your sleep. Obviously, the majority of these are caused by cheeseburgers and not a killer entity that resides in our subconscious minds.
Speaker 11: And it's just like fucking with us.
Speaker 9: But on this particular day, there's a massive uptick in cardiac rests in people under thirty. Something happened that night. What's it?
Speaker 11: South just the equipment hitting up. Before I finish the sentence, it'll probably be see will it hurt not at all? You just go to sleep.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 11: That's it.
Speaker 7: Promise not to judge me.
Speaker 11: We're not here to judge you, Keith. We're here to help you.
Speaker 7: Are you going to be in here with me?
Speaker 11: I'll be right there behind the glass. You have nothing to worry about. We're gonna take care of you.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Not every story from that night was heart attacks. The North Devon Journal on the night of May seventeenth, a woman, Kelly Prendez, age fifty five, sleepwalks into oncoming traffic. No past history of sleepwalking. The Green Valley Times, May seventeenth, West Leads empties his fridge into sleep and keeps eating until a raw hot dog lodges in his throat and he chokes to death. No past history of nocturnal eating disorder. The Vineyard Centennial days leading up to May seventeenth, Lucy Jones claims her husband Ray suffered from vivid nightmares.
Speaker 11: For him.
Speaker 9: She says she'd watch him in his sleep and his hands would tense up, squeezing as if they were juicing two invisible oranges. He'd wake up and start crying. When she asked him what he dreamt of, he refused to talk about it. On the night of May seventeenth, Lucy woke up to Fine Bray, still asleep, strangling their five year old twin daughters in their beds. No past history of murder.
Speaker 10: It is eleven pm. I've also st up in my lucid dream training. The texture of the speedbag is.
Speaker 2: Just pick it up.
Speaker 6: It's not hard.
Speaker 10: How are you today, mister Kingship.
Speaker 8: I'm wonderful Sadie, as I am every day. What a blessing is to be me?
Speaker 12: How are you wonderful as well?
Speaker 8: Look it up? Two vocabularies, only one adjective between us. Do you play crossword City?
Speaker 10: I do not.
Speaker 8: You should.
Speaker 10: I don't have time. I'm too busy making money for you.
Speaker 8: The thing about a crossword is it's multidisciplinary. It's a puzzle. You're using the facts in your head, your knowledge of the game, and your own intuition. You can beat it even though you don't have the answers. You don't like puzzles, No, aren't your pursuits a puzzle? Source? Understanding nightmares?
Speaker 10: Human lives are not a puzzle to me.
Speaker 8: It's always so funny to me? What conversations?
Speaker 10: Why is that?
Speaker 8: As if you don't know why?
Speaker 10: I have a patient waiting for me.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll let you get to it, and little are finishing this conversation. I'll be annual visit.
Speaker 12: When good luck for your patient, Sadie.
Speaker 10: Heath's lips are shortened to move isolate to mic I want to hear what he's saying on it. You're a weak stared activity in the hypothalamus.
Speaker 8: M h.
Speaker 6: Uh uh I think he's dreaming about you.
Speaker 11: Shut up, you're blushing and you're a child.
Speaker 7: I want to go out sometime.
Speaker 6: Hmmm, pretty, here's the grammar of your usual dates.
Speaker 11: I'll have you know that no one asked me out on dates?
Speaker 6: Was that a comeback?
Speaker 13: Maybe after we're done with that, we can play a game. We can see what breaks first. My fists are your face.
Speaker 6: I want this guy out of the building first thing tomorrow morning.
Speaker 10: Relax, be a professional. Turned down his mic. I want to hear the dream. Stop stop leave?
Speaker 8: Hi went.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 9: Last story. On May seventeenth, April, Everett started having nightmares.
Speaker 2: Out of the blue.
Speaker 9: She finds herself waking up in an intersection, and another time she was on the edge of a cliff, so she asked her husband to watch over her. One night he watches her. She climbs the stairs into the attic and she pulled apart all these boxes of junk, and then she finds art supplies she isn't touched in years, and she paints a dark figure in a forest, and they put the drawing in the article. I texted it to Josie for comparison, but she hasn't replied yet, so we'll see April's nightmares get progressively more intense. She tells her husband there something alive in her dreams. She used to fight it. That was the last time she ever spoke to her husband. She went to sleep that night and never woke up a coma. She shows no signs of lucidity beyond frequent panicked breathing. She's been enduring a seven year long nightmare.
Speaker 11: Sorry, I still had the volume up from his mic.
Speaker 10: Eight subjects now, all of them.
Speaker 6: Doctors used to be equally confident in the efficacy of blood letting. It doesn't.
Speaker 10: Everyone's skepticism is getting very tiring at this point.
Speaker 11: Isn't that Eliza mazonstream it is?
Speaker 2: Josie streams.
Speaker 12: That's not possible.
Speaker 10: His brain waves don't make sense. He's fully awaken to sleep simultaneously.
Speaker 11: Something's wrong.
Speaker 10: We need to see where this goes.
Speaker 2: He's stalking again.
Speaker 7: Not here again, please anywhere about here?
Speaker 2: This place is hell.
Speaker 11: Where's it take you?
Speaker 8: Not us?
Speaker 12: No, no, no, we have to wake him up.
Speaker 10: The guy who just drummed about killing you.
Speaker 11: He's not in control, but I am. If something happens, I'm holding you responsible.
Speaker 10: Do what you have to do. Andrews.
Speaker 2: You hear that right, He's in the forest, just like the others.
Speaker 4: Holding up with glue and duct tape. Two weeks ago.
Speaker 9: I thought dreams were just dreams. Now I don't know if they're a different plane of existence, or if I share these dreams with other people, or there's a monster living in them.
Speaker 14: Or what you So remember Stabber and his wife from Conkon.
Speaker 10: How are they doing?
Speaker 8: Not great? They're dead.
Speaker 10: I have a theory.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's a hypothesis.
Speaker 9: Hit me, it's preparing. It's like us carbo loading before race. There's the people at Hongkon, the dream sequence patients, and who knows who else. This is how it builds up energy. It's how it eats. In May seventeenth is right around.
Speaker 8: The corner seven year anniversary.
Speaker 10: Hang on, I'm getting another call.
Speaker 9: I have to take it.
Speaker 4: Josie.
Speaker 9: It's good to hear from you. Do you get my text, Josie, say something.
Speaker 14: I'm in the forest again.
Speaker 10: Turn on the dream Hannah.
Speaker 2: Barra, Shohn Breads. Those are our first three patients.
Speaker 8: Hector and.
Speaker 13: Eli's am amazing.
Speaker 2: Helen pose there's no way for him to know their names.
Speaker 6: Chelsea Sadie what's going on?
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's time to pay your debts?
Speaker 10: Are you asleep?
Speaker 4: I'm not getting out this time, Josie.
Speaker 9: Listen to me. You need to wake up.
Speaker 14: I'm in the forest. I'm in my room in the forest. There are others in my room. There's a knife, weak up, juicy for so many more than last time. It's not time for them yet, but it is time for me. Time to pay up, or I'll be here forever.
Speaker 9: Talk like that. You're scaring me dad.
Speaker 14: After all? Okay, it was never my dad.
Speaker 9: Wake up.
Speaker 14: He's gonna kill your sister. He has a knife too, Manifold, No, Heath.
Speaker 7: Sadie, goodbye, Craig, goodbye.
Speaker 11: And seriously, Sadie, what's happening?
Speaker 10: I said, I don't know?
Speaker 2: Crab?
Speaker 6: What is he saying, Sadie?
Speaker 2: Crab? Sadie Crab.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna wake him up.
Speaker 11: Oh, now that he's saying your name, Sadie, where's Sadie?
Speaker 12: She's waking up?
Speaker 2: Heath, what's wrong?
Speaker 10: Get away from me, Heath, drop the knife.
Speaker 4: Please don't kill me.
Speaker 10: He's not awake. Okay, his eyes are closed. He's not in control.
Speaker 6: But do I do?
Speaker 2: Good Bye?
Speaker 10: Actor, stay calm as he's sick. Goodbye, no Jo, Okay, don't look.
Speaker 4: You don't want to see Josie.
Speaker 12: I have to call Josie.
Speaker 11: She's in danger. Josie, wake up.
Speaker 15: Goodbye, Josie, Josie, Josie, you're listening to dream Sequence Written and created by Andrew Martin Robinson, directed by Dave Beasley and John Brooks.
Speaker 1: Executive producers are Molly Barton, Dave Beasley, John Brooks, and Marcy Wiseman for Realm, Alex Williams and Trevor Young for iHeart Podcasts Chris Dicky and Noah Feinberg for Blumhouse Television. Producers for Realm are Fred Greenhoalge, Marcus Thorne, Bagala and Rhoda Bayessa. Associate producer Michael Colter. Starring Jesse Case and Alice Kremmelberg, with performances by Shalini, Bethina Einer, Gunn, Nick Osborne, Winifred Anne Kincannon, Tara Brown, Emily Barry, Linelle Scott, Shannon McClung, Dave Huber, Hugo Armstrong, Cooper, Tomilson, Joel Haberley, Simaj Miller, Dean Simone, and Brian Finney. Additional Voices by Patrick Higney, Fred Greenhoalch, John Brooks, Christina Telesca, and Kaylan West. Casting by Sunday Bowling Kennedy and Meg Mormon Production manager Devin Shepherd, Production Coordinator Angela Yee. Dialogue editing by Corey Barton, Sound designed by Rory O'shay and Dan Powell. Final mixed by Kaylan West. Original score composed by Marcus Thorne Pagala Songs for Josie by Kaylan West. Recorded at Real Voice Los Angeles and Citybox, New York City. This podcast was recorded under a SAG after collective bargaining agreement. Dream Sequence is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television, and Realm. Find more great podcasts by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows