Speaker 1: Before we begin, please be aware this series contains discussions around infant deaths and other difficult topics. Please take care while listening.
Speaker 2: We want to bring you this very urgent breaking news because the neonatal nurse Lucy let Bee has been found guilty.
Speaker 3: The nurse Lucy let Be has been found guilty of murdering seven babies and attempting to murder six others while they were in her care at a hospital in Cheshire.
Speaker 4: The nurse who should have been in charge of caring the tiny babies is now the most prolific child killer in modern British history.
Speaker 1: In August twenty twenty three, Lucy let Be, a young neonatal nurse, was convicted in England of murdering seven tiny babies and attempting to kill six more.
Speaker 5: The case shocked the nation. A year later, she.
Speaker 1: Would be convicted again for the attempted murder of a seventh baby.
Speaker 5: She's been handed fifteen.
Speaker 1: Life sentences, all without the possibility of parole, meaning as this case stands, she will never see the outside of a prison again. Case closed, right, well.
Speaker 5: Maybe not.
Speaker 1: Lucy Letby's convictions are now being contested. In the nearly three years since her conviction. There's been a re examination of evidence and an outpouring of revelations, prompting many to reevaluate the case for her guilt, not just members of the public, but lawyers, politicians, and some of the most eminent doctors in the world. Today, this case is like an open wound that has divided England, with opposite views competing with one another across the media.
Speaker 6: This was a cruel, calculated and cynical campaign of child murder, involving the smallest and most vulnerable of children.
Speaker 7: We did not find any murders.
Speaker 8: In all cases, death or injury were due to natural causes. Are just bad medical case.
Speaker 5: They can't both be right, can they?
Speaker 1: And yet we are now in a situation where there are two parallel worlds. When Lucy let Be was first convicted, there were news headlines that flickered and vanished in the US. But I couldn't get this story out of my head. A young, attractive woman accused of some of the worst crimes imaginable, A story the tabloid newspapers fed on with glee, A cold, calculating killer, the unexpected face of evil.
Speaker 5: I had headlines like that and the.
Speaker 1: Back of my neck prickled for the British media said the same things about me, Foxy Noxie, sex lies and murder killer abroad she devil. My wrongful conviction in Italy played out fifteen years prior. That experience taught me a lot about how law enforcement can get it wrong, how judgment can set in, and how stories can shape and obscure the truth. Soon, a steady flow of messages came into my inbox, my DMS, friends, journalists, strangers, and the refrain was.
Speaker 5: You need to look.
Speaker 1: At this one. The evidence doesn't stack up. The more I looked into this case, the more clear it was to me that inside this complicated story worry the police investigation, the ten month long trial one of the longest in British history, there were still many unanswered questions. Was Lucy let be evil? If not, why did these infants die? And how could a justice system and a nation become so convinced that they locked away the most prolific child killer in British history. I've sat in a cell, condemned as a monster, while the world moved on, certain it knew the truth, satisfied with easy answers. I'm allergic to easy answers. I wanted to understand what had happened in this hospital in the north of England, and so I started asking questions. I'm Amanda Knox and from Vespucci and iHeart podcasts. This is Doubt The Case of Lucy let Be Episode one.
Speaker 5: The verdict.
Speaker 2: Pira tucks for a complete betrayal of the trust placed in.
Speaker 3: Her role of Britain's most notorious killers.
Speaker 8: She's been found guilty.
Speaker 4: Now she has no rights.
Speaker 2: She got rid ofosed when she killed people's babies.
Speaker 1: When I first started looking at the media coverage of the Lucy let Be case, what struck me wasn't just the evidence, it was the narrative. How quickly the headlines seemed to agree on who she was and what the story meant. That kind of consensus doesn't happen by accident. In November nineteen seventy two, two researchers Maxwell McCombs and Donald Shaw were studying how people decide what matters. Their work suggested something powerful that the mass media tells us what to think about. That idea became known as agenda setting theory. When a story dominates the headlines, it can take on a life of its own. And feel impossible to challenge. Believe me, I've been trying to undo the damage the media did to my reputation for eighteen years in counting. August eighteenth, twenty twenty three. This was the day Britain stopped the end of the trial of neonatal nurse Lucy Lutby in the northern city of Manchester, one of the longest in British history, having run for over ten months. British and international media, we're waiting for the verdicts.
Speaker 9: You've got to have material ready to go all the TV stations outlets, So when we get the verdicts, whatever they are, we've got to have news ready to roll.
Speaker 1: Kim Pilling was one of only a handful of reporters who had been inside the actual courtroom every day of the long drawn out trial. He had to prepare two versions of the story, one for guilty, one for innocent, two completely different realities, one of which would become the accepted truth, the other discarded as a lie.
Speaker 8: And maybe breaching magic circle things here.
Speaker 9: But to be adult about it, that's the way the world, because otherwise, which used to happen, you could be waiting for hours on end for a reaction to two verdicts and the media pressures now are so great, that's too late.
Speaker 8: The one things more instantly.
Speaker 1: A seasoned reporter for the Press Association, Kim has covered many trials in England. He understands the weight of a lay jury's decision and how it can define a narrative.
Speaker 8: Two things was going to happen.
Speaker 9: One if she was not guilty, then she, I have no doubt, would have gone out of that dock and then, you know, not very long after, and she would have gone out onto the courtsteps at Manchester Crown and she would have told the world media that you know, my life has been destroyed by the Crown Prosecutor Service, Cheshire place and certain people at the count of Cheship Hospital who have heaped all the blame this unto me, who I have never done anything wrong. I've no doubt that would have happened if she'd have been cleared. If she was going to be found guilty then and so it followed, it was going to.
Speaker 8: Be in the headlines. They were all going to be there.
Speaker 9: Angel of death, flat bear, evil lat Bear, montelat BET's told two completely different realities there.
Speaker 1: When the verdict finally came the alternate reality Kim had already drafted. The one where Lucy let be walked free was instantly erased. The other version, the one labeled guilty, became the only story anyone heard. Within minutes, every major outlet, from local radio stations to national news outlets to ministers in the houses of Parliament, echoed the same headline, this is what it sounded like.
Speaker 6: She's guilty.
Speaker 2: The juries found Lucy Let be guilty of murdering seven babies and attempting to murder another sixth.
Speaker 1: That moment of certainty one narrative takes hold and the other vanishes wasn't lost on journalists Clucy De Olivera and Rachel Levive, who followed the trial from a distance from this side of the Atlantic.
Speaker 10: Her conviction was front page news everywhere, absolutely everywhere, and then subsequently her sendencing a couple of days later. You know, like this was how many many people first learned about the case. They learned about that it happened by seeing the picture of this woman on the front pages, described as the most evil woman in Britain and the worst serial killer of babies in modern times.
Speaker 7: That was the first impression.
Speaker 10: That was what people knew about Lucy Leffie.
Speaker 11: I mean it was everywhere. It was in the Daily Mail for sure. I think I counted more than one hundred stories about the case in the Guardian. It was a course sort of national fixation of a level that felt like, you know, the equivalent of the O. J. Simpson trial. It was a huge media phenomenon.
Speaker 1: The police, then the law courts and the jury set the narrative which was then taken on and reinforced by the media. I want to ask what your reaction was when you first heard the news about the verdict in Lucy's case.
Speaker 4: I guess I wasn't that surprised, and if I was in the courtroom on that jury, I probably would have found her guilty.
Speaker 1: A family doctor for twenty years, doctor Phil Hammond is a columnist for Private Eye, the much vaunted magazine famous for its biting satire, where he writes about medicine under the pseudonym MD.
Speaker 4: The media had been running with their burn the witch headlines for a long time. So what's interesting, and again you will know this from your own experience, is that they take a quation and they stick it intoverted commas, evil murdering which deserves to rot in hell or whatever, and so there'd been a plea endless barrage of that.
Speaker 1: Yep, he's not wrong. The stakes for me almost felt personal. Most people had accepted my guilty verdict when it was first announced to the world, and now they were doing the same for Lucy let Be wholesale. But just as in my case, there were a handful of people, just a few at first, who weren't convinced, and they started to ask questions. It's a horrifying thing to imagine that a nurse, someone trusted to care for babies and save their lives, could instead deliberately harm them. But in court, the prosecution's case was supported by the doctors who worked with Lucy let Be and the evidence of seven medical experts.
Speaker 5: The defense didn't call any.
Speaker 1: Experts to counter that narrative, perhaps because there was no hard evidence, a lot of smoke but no fire. As it were, no one actually witnessed let Be harming any babies, and as my lawyers initially argued, zero plus zero plus zero still equals zero.
Speaker 5: But that argument didn't work in my first trial.
Speaker 4: So there was layer upon layer of gosh, how can she possibly be innocent amongst all this, So I did write. My first piece in Private Eye was actually to say, let be lessons. Why don't we listen to whistleberwers? Isn't this appalling? Seven experts appeared for the prosecution, none appeared for the defense, and seven doctors who worked at the hospital stood up and said we think she's guilty. So there were fourteen medical experts who said she was guilty. Not a single doctor or medical expert appeared so purely on the numbers, you know, as sometimes in a jury, or baffled by all the science.
Speaker 8: And it was complicated.
Speaker 4: But if you think this is fourteen zero, you got forty experts up here thinks she's guilty, zero speaking out for Therefore I think on the balance of probability, she's guilty.
Speaker 1: Phil Hammond's logic was the same as most of Britain's. Few people would be bold enough to question the testimony of so many doctors.
Speaker 12: On the day she was convicted, I tweeted, sometimes the law gets it wrong.
Speaker 1: But to understand how doubt begins, you have to meet the people who won't stop asking questions. One of them is John Sweeney, a bear of a man, a decorated reporter who has directly confronted Vladimir Putin and others, A self confessed professional troublemaker.
Speaker 12: On the day she was convicted, I was in Ukraine. Well, I've got a flat jacket a helmet, and I thought, I I'll tweet this.
Speaker 7: I'll put my flatjack at the helmet.
Speaker 12: And the first person to call me was my agent, Humphrey, and he said, put that fucking tweet.
Speaker 7: Down now, and I said, no, I'm in Ukraine and you can't get me.
Speaker 5: When we talk.
Speaker 1: It's summer and John is sitting in his retreat, his caravan. He has a big mug of tea in his hand, his laptop balanced on a low table. John tells stories inside stories. Most start with an investigation he's chasing, or his beloved Liverpool football club, and they all take the long way round, but they usually start or end with a fight for justice. He knows my story too, the hell that played out in my life in a city in central Italy in two thousand.
Speaker 12: And nine, by the way, weirdly fast in Peruja, I heard I heard this.
Speaker 1: As we talk about Italy and his friends there, John suddenly leaps up as his neighbor shouts his dog is on the loose.
Speaker 8: Do oh shit, lo is he gone?
Speaker 1: Then a minute later he appears at the door with his sheepish dog.
Speaker 7: Sorry, my dog run away, and.
Speaker 1: The conversation picks up exactly where it left off. This is John unstoppable, always chasing something, be that a dog or a story.
Speaker 5: On the day of let.
Speaker 1: Be's conviction, he tweeted out a link to a blog post whose author we'll hear from later in this episode, and he wrote, this piece by a statistician sets out the evidence that Lucy let Be may well be the victim of a miscarriage of justice, that the Crown has taken a cluster of accidental or natural deaths and pointed the finger at let Be. There is no compelling evidence of a single murder. The law sometimes gets it wrong.
Speaker 7: And I got a ton of abuse.
Speaker 12: From that tweet, and so serve my literary agent, my book agent, Humphrey is a good bloke. So take that tweet down. You're getting slaughtered. You'll lose your stunning in the public. And I'm a war reporter. Kind of use for people shooting at me and being nasty to me. It's it's kind of what I do for a living. But it did not feel good being abused, and people were saying, how dare you?
Speaker 8: You're disgusting? What about the children?
Speaker 1: John's tweet set off a firestorm. He was accused of cruelty, of disrespecting the victim's families, and worse, because at the heart of the story are unimaginable losses, brand new lives gone too soon, and parents living with pain that words can't hold.
Speaker 5: When a story touches.
Speaker 1: That kind of grief, questioning it becomes taboo. Even asking what if can sound like heresy, and so anyone who raised doubts about the verdicts was branded a conspiracy theorist.
Speaker 4: John delete, I'll follow you, but this is ridiculous and a gross judgment.
Speaker 8: To post today.
Speaker 2: Imagine if the bereaf families read this, They've sat through harrowing evidence of how their child died and came.
Speaker 8: Face to face with the person guilty of their murders.
Speaker 6: There I like you love the stuff you did from Ukraine, But my god, what an insensitive bastard posting this on the day of the burger.
Speaker 1: But John was no stranger to medical murder cases gone wrong. In the early odds, he'd been one of just a handful of reporters doggedly pursuing answers in the case of Sally Clark, a mother convicted of murdering two of her sons. The case against Sally Clark was held together by a deeply flawed statistical argument, which was picked apart after her conviction. When the evidence for one son's murder fell apart, the evidence for the other one did too. John's reporting helped to eventually overturn Sally's conviction. She was freed, and her exonerations set off a public reckoning that saw the wrongful convictions of other mothers overturned as well. In the summer of twenty twenty three, for John and others, the Lucy let Be case felt an awful lot. Like Sally Clark's, doubt has a way of spreading. Doctor Phil Hammond initially accepted the verdicts, but he would soon shift position after he received a letter from a neo natologist who'd been lined up to give evidence for Lucy let Bey's defense team. For reasons that are still unclear, the expert was never called to speak in court.
Speaker 4: Professor Michael Hall, who was the most senior neonatology expert in the whole trial, far more so than the prosecution experts. He'd retired intoenty eighteen, whereas one prosecution expert had stopped seeing baby and retired in two thousand and nine, another had stopped being a top level in the anatologies in two thousand and eight. So he was the most expert person. And he wrote to private that great length, and he said, I read your piece. I think you're wrong. I think at the very least she had an unfair trial. I sat through the entire trial. I read all the net records. I prepared reports on most of the babies. I think they were sicker than the prosecution portrayed.
Speaker 1: The letter was enough to start to change Phil's perspective.
Speaker 5: On the case.
Speaker 1: Quietly privately, over the coming months, he began to dig deeper. In the weeks that followed the verdicts, only one newspaper ran a piece countering the established narrative the jury's verdict. Veteran British journalist Peter Hutchins wrote in his opinion column in the Mail On Sunday newspaper, I wish somebody else would ask this, what if Lucy let Be is not guilty, and he added, horror can make us blind to doubt. When Lucy let Be was convicted, a single version of events took hold, the one the public saw on front pages and breaking news banners.
Speaker 5: But outside that.
Speaker 1: Spotlight, another story was forming, as yet untold, quietly hesitantly among journalists, scientists, and people who felt something didn't add up. You could call it a split narrative, one dominant and loud, one almost whispered. While the country absorbed the story of the nurse turned monster, a handful of journalists were already beginning to look again, to ask if the story everyone thought they knew might not be the whole story.
Speaker 2: We had a month after the trial where there was really extensive reporting about the convictions, and the headlines were very much Britain's worst child serial killer in modern history. One headline proof there is the devil among us.
Speaker 1: Annook Curry is an investigative journalist and documentary maker who started examining the case towards the end of the trial.
Speaker 2: There was a very very powerful narrative off the back of the convictions, which is understandable in many ways. I don't think we can underestimate the impact that the media coverage in the immediate aftermath of the convictions had But what are I noticed happened was that two of the consultants who had been instrumental in Lucy let be being investigated in the first place. They were vocal. One of them spoke at length to ITV News, another to BBC Panorama, and they gave their narratives. So the general public believed that doctors had been screaming and shouting about this nurse and believed that she had been harming babies, when in natural fact, the reality when you look at the documentation is much more nuanced, and that was definitely a narrative that somehow or other became quite cemented in people's minds.
Speaker 1: The pediatricians who worked on the neonatal unit with Lucy ledbe since her convictions had emerged as the heroes of this tragedy. The media reported that they had put everything on the line to stop her, they said, but were thwarted every.
Speaker 5: Step of the way.
Speaker 1: You can hear the toll this took on one of the doctors, doctor Robb Jayram, in an interview he gave to ITV News in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 13: The families and the police have both said to us that they consider you to be a hero. Do you think the enormity of the part you played in all of this has sunk Kenya.
Speaker 14: I'm not here, I pull.
Speaker 8: I was just doing my job.
Speaker 1: Just over a month after this interview from September twenty twenty three, everything went silent. The police and Crown Prosecution Service or CPS as it's known in the UK, decided to retry Lucy Ledby for one count of attempted murder that the jury had failed to reach a decision on in the first trial, and in the UK, if a trial is pending, all reporting is banned. The idea is to prevent anything being published that might prejudice the case. But given that a narrative of guilt had already firmly taken hold, the press blackout served to silence the emerging voices of investigative journalists who were concerned about the safety of Letb's convictions.
Speaker 2: Then you have a long pause where nothing can be challenged. And I think that was really unusual, and that was because of the reporting restrictions that were in place. Because the Ground Prosecution Service decided that they would retry Lucy let Be on one count it meant that there was one narrative been put out there after the trial, and then there was avoid.
Speaker 1: Anook and others had started to connect with experts in the fields of science and medicine who were using social media to raise concerns about the safety of convictions. Unable to report, they continued to work on the case quietly behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: What people would do was to engage with journalists that they trusted and talk to them and that's what went on.
Speaker 8: And it wasn't just me.
Speaker 2: There were other people like Felicity Lawrence at The Guardian and later Sarah Napton at the Daily Telegraph, John Sweeney who's known for his coverage of these kind of cases, and so it was an unusual experience as a journalist where you were gathering information quietly and following as things evolved. And it started with a few experts who had concerns and then.
Speaker 1: Snowboard writers, scientists and doctors based outside of the UK were able to publish and share their opinions and analysis safely online being out side of UK jurisdiction. Despite the UK restrictions, there was plenty of debate on social media where people took risks, some bloggers tried to protect themselves using international domains. A number of these people reached out to me here in the US saying they thought the let Be case had echoes of my own. I recorded some of these early conversations as I became increasingly aware that there was more to this case than most people realized that the developments would be worth charting.
Speaker 15: I'm interestate position, and I'm not a journalist.
Speaker 7: I'm just a blogger.
Speaker 15: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Remember John Sweeney, the Journalists and the Helmet and flack jacket, who tweeted on the day of Lucy Letbe's conviction. Well, when he tweeted, he shared the blog of a statistician called Peter Elston, who would be come consumed by the case during the trial. Here he is talking to me back in February twenty twenty four.
Speaker 15: And until very recently, I was just a boring old fund manager who had a bit of an amateur interest in the justice system and miscarriages of justice. And then because of my blog I'd written about well, up until the verdicts were announced, I've probably written about ten pieces about the Lucy Letbe case. And then when the verdicts were announced, all of a sudden, the traffic to my blog just rocketed.
Speaker 1: Peter was concerned that a young nurse was in prison for life for crimes she didn't commit. His blog became a refuge for others who had doubt, Others who had followed the case and felt something about it all didn't add up, and they wanted somewhere anywhere to talk about.
Speaker 15: It because obviously a lot of people who were quite shocked by the verdicts, and the mainstream media were report saying that Lucy was a serial killer. To get an alternative view, you've had to look outside of that, and my blog with a place where people could get a slightly alternative view of these.
Speaker 1: And numerous people have reached out to me about this case because they said that it reminded them of what happened to me. What similarities you see between this case and what I went through, Well.
Speaker 15: You're talking about scapegating. It seems to be systemic within the NHS that there is this very toxic culture of scapegoating that has emerged in recent decades. But yeah, it's certainly something that I've heard quite a lot about.
Speaker 1: The NHS is the UK's national health service, funded by the taxpayer. And free for all. You're likely to hear it reference to throughout this series. In recent years, it's been roundly criticized. What about the media's involvement in this case? How has that impacted it at all?
Speaker 15: There was no reporting by the mainstream of an alternative hypothesis, namely that Lucy wasn't a serial killer, and I suppose if you think about that from the media's perspective, we're now in a situation where I know there are very serious journalists out there who are absolutely convinced that Lucy is not a serial killer, and they're champing at the bit to write the story about the miscarriage. The British journalists, who I'm particularly in touch with, they can't write the story because of the reporting restrictions.
Speaker 1: In the silence that followed, something unexpected happened. Yes, the loudest voices went quiet, but the smaller, quieter ones found each other. If agenda setting is about who controls the storytelling spotlight, what was happening now was the opposite, a story growing in the dark. So thank you so much for reaching out about this case. You are one of many people who have reached out to me. By autumn twenty twenty three, another key voice was saying what many were afraid to say. Richard Gill, a retired professor of statistics. Richard is British but moved to the Netherlands decades ago after falling in love with a Dutch girl. It occurs to me, is that just a coincidence or is this a coordinated effort among advocates to reach out to people who might be.
Speaker 14: In It's not coordinated, but advocates do have contact with one another. And I'm like the spider in the middle of the spiders, were people come to me and I connect them.
Speaker 5: To all the excellent.
Speaker 1: Richard was one of the first to publicly question the evidence tweeting, writing, connecting experts across continents.
Speaker 5: Back in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: In the UK, many who shared his doubts stayed hidden in private Facebook groups. They were nurses, people afraid to speak, afraid to be seen as defending a baby killer.
Speaker 14: I'm a member of a couple of closed Facebook groups, bigger one of eighty or so people in a smaller one of twenty, and many of them are nurses, and many of them are people who have quite close in sight into what goes on there. One of them is a former police inspector. And these people do not dare to come out in public. They are carefully, sort of one by one talking to their best friends, and they're very happy when one of their best friends agrees to sort.
Speaker 7: Of listen to them for a little while.
Speaker 14: But yes, the tabloid media and social media have created an atmosphere where people do not dare to say that they think that Lucy let Me is innocent. Now I'm sort of famous, and I stand up and say that, and lots of people email me that they are so grateful that somebody else is saying this out loud. And they tell me all kinds of things, and they tell me really interesting things. They find out things, and I put them onto Twitter. And I do think that the atmosphere is slowly, slowly, slowly, but it's very very slow.
Speaker 1: In that silence, a second story began to take shape, one built quietly in emails enclosed forums in midnight Phone calls the story of a health system under strain and a woman at its center, a story we will hear much more about in future episodes. It's been two and a half years since the trial of Lucy let be ended, she has exhausted her appeals. She remains in prison, Yet her case never became yesterday's news. It's as fresh today as it was on the day Judge Goss, choking back tears, described the violent acts Lucy let Be had been found guilty of inflicting on the babies. Let Be still dominates headlines and will continue to do so for who knows how long. The discourse around her now couldn't be more different than the one that greeted her verdict. Gone is the mainstream certainty that this is a story about a serial killer brought to justice, and its stead is an all out war fought in the public square between two sides that can't agree on a shared version of reality. On one police, the prosecution experts, and the grieving families pleading with the public to accept her guilt. On the other, an ever growing number of prominent voices, among them some of the most eminent doctors in the world, shouting from the rooftops that the evidence doesn't add up, that there were probably never any murders at all.
Speaker 5: Over the course of this.
Speaker 1: Series, we won't just be cutting through the tangle that has sprung up around this case. We'll be hearing from people directly involved in it, and will be uncovering vital evidence that has never been made public before, not even to the jurors who convicted Lucy Letpee.
Speaker 5: And if we want to.
Speaker 1: Understand what happened inside the UK hospital where a nurse was accused and babies died, we have to go there. Next time, we go back to the start of this story, to twenty fifteen, to the neonatal unit at the Countess of Chester Hospital where too many babies were dying and the fingers of two doctors began to point at one young nurse. In later interviews broadcast on ITV and BBC, they would describe the moment their suspicions turned toward one of their own staff nurses.
Speaker 8: Could she be doing something deliberate? Oh no, it can't be, Lucy, Look nice, Lucy.
Speaker 1: That's next on Doubt The Case of Lucy let Bee. Doubt the Case of Lucy let Be is brought to you by Vespucci, iHeart Podcasts and Knox Robinson Productions. I've been your host, Amanda Knox. The co producers were Joe Meek and Lucy Ditchmont. The assisted producers Reclusy de OLIVERA and Lammy Gill. Senior producer and production manager was Natalia Rodriguez. This episode was written by Joe Meek with help from a Knook Curry audio mix by Tom Biddle. The theme music was written by Tom Biddle, story editing by Kathleen Goldhar. Legal advice was provided by Jack Browning. The producers at iHeart Podcasts are Chandler Mays and Katrina Norville. The executive producers were Joe Meek, Amanda Knox, Christopher Robinson, Daniel Turkin, and Johnny Galvin.
Speaker 5: Thank you for listening.