Speaker 1: Before we jump in, we must warn you this episode contains explicit content, such as sexual abuse that may be disturbing to some people. Listener discretion is advised. Also, if this is the first time you are listening to Sacred Scandal, everything will make a lot more sense if you start with episode one. Night has just fallen on November third, twenty twenty in Gua Lajara, Mexico, and Silvia Rosco, a thirty year old white eyed beauty, is home making dinner for her family. Sevia lived in Hermosa Provincia just to block away from the apostles Casa Grande. Her home is so close to La Luzel Mundo's Grand temple that at night, its neon floodlights bathe her house in purple, blue and yellow Ermosa Provincia is a close knit community where only l LDN believers are allowed free rein. If someone who doesn't belong tries to enter, they're quickly approached by friendly but firm members who insist on guiding the visitors around until they leave. But this November night, nobody seemed to stop the arm stranger that barged into Sybia's kitchen. The man shot her four times with nine millimere bullets, then quickly made his escape, jumping into a convoy of two vehicles waiting right outside. Sybia was dead before she hit the kitchen floor.
Speaker 2: In front of the people of her mother, in front of her siblings.
Speaker 1: This is royled Silva, a former deacon of the church. Syba was killed in front of her siblings, her mother, and her three year old son, who all came running when they heard the door being busted open.
Speaker 2: In front of the witnesses around the Colonial Massa Provincia and the one of the main streets there.
Speaker 1: Despite the multiple witnesses and security camera footage showing the hitman's cars rushing out of Armazza Provincia through streets filled with people, officially, nobody seems to know who Cyba's killer.
Speaker 2: It might be ask for a copy of the denouncers against that horrific act of a killing of a girl one block away from the temple. They don't give you anything. There's nothing there, there's no records.
Speaker 1: Who el knows this because he went to Hallisko's District attorney's office himself, demanding to see if any progress had been made on the investigation.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you because we went to investigate. Can we have a copy of the denounce or the declarations? No, the case is closed.
Speaker 1: Almost three years later, Seba's killer remains at large, but theories abound as to who might have ordered a hit and what someone might have wanted her dead. I'm Robert de Garza and you're listening to Sacred Scandal season two. This is episode five. Silence of the Land. The neighborhood of her Mosa Provincia, the fable city that lldm's first apostle founded way back in the nineteen fifties, is like a city inside a city. Unlike the boisterous streets of the rest of Alajara, El Moosa Province is quaint and orderly, a small, working class neighborhood of about five thousand people that's totally self contained. It has its own schools, a post office, hospital, and market, and everyone who lives there belongs to and believes in ell DM. We sent her correspondent, Florenzia Flores to interview its residence, and all of them beamed about how safe and happy they felt there.
Speaker 3: With come most Amuitter and Quillolo Migno.
Speaker 1: He indifferent, A woman named Maggie says it's nice and quiet. Other places in Guaalajara are more dangerous, but here it's more secure and peaceful, she says. Another man we spoke with emphasize how he can walk around safely at night. I think he would never think to do in other parts of the city.
Speaker 2: Aquila Provincia, Aula Unona, La Cinquo, Lamaiana, in Oleon Tons, las Quature, Lamaiana Ivmosal Temples, Saviano.
Speaker 1: Another man talks about the harmony of the neighborhood, saying, we all share with each other, we all help each other. We're a community.
Speaker 4: Luardun day much armonia, tololos, ermanos, passan nosa yuramos and tretolos suna communida.
Speaker 1: Entitl nit ter Mossa Provincia. Everyone watches everyone else. A block from Sibia's residence is the Casa Grande, where the apostle and his family live. That home is guarded twenty four seven by armed men, a mixture of policemen and ldm's own security core, and yet no guards reacted to the rare sound of gunshots right at their doorstep.
Speaker 4: Ola Migos Carlos and rees.
Speaker 1: This is with Carlos Reyes, a YouTuber and former l ld M member who uses his channel to track and comment on what's going on in la Us del Mundoland.
Speaker 4: Then Estadia or the Statar de vea com partim video constelles Pa Personas caestaa bi segondel Casto de Sibia.
Speaker 1: There is a huge community of people online who talk and share news about l l d M. Some are former LEDM members, some are just curious. Louis's YouTube channel has fifty three thousand subscribers, and this video of him analyzing the security footage from outside Ceva's house has over eight thousand views.
Speaker 4: Sevidentia phisica in i Loel Prestaky por quayose kel Membros Lord Lider Last Run.
Speaker 1: The video is black and white. There is no sound. The camera is nestled behind some leaves, but you can clearly see the street outside Civa's house. The video is time stamped November third, twenty twenty. There are two people sitting at a table across from her house, perhaps selling something. The street is calm, then a flurry of activity. Louis plays the video in full, he rewinds it and plays it again.
Speaker 4: Corindo a qui tank corindo purquestan corrindo esteva kami ona korremia.
Speaker 1: We see people running, he says. They are getting out of the way, afraid of something.
Speaker 4: Or what illego passaes to those autos or no blancos to a squirrel.
Speaker 1: Louis points out two moving cars, first a white one and then one that appears to be dark gray. The cars swerve in from around the corner and then speed down the street. Just before the cars emerge, two men turn the same corner. They look back, see something and start to run. All at once. There's people on the mostly empty street, about five or six. It looks like neighbors rushing in to see what happened. As the cars speed by, they duck out of the way as fast as they can.
Speaker 4: Person personas or yer on algo on mirar cosas.
Speaker 1: Seven, the people who were there. Louis says, all of these people hurt something, saw something, that's why they're running. They're walking and then they start running. What did you hear?
Speaker 4: Louise asks, cares the ken sons altos kens altos.
Speaker 1: What happened? And whose cars are these? Does anyone recognize the cars?
Speaker 4: Youa Mexico, and it's a skuys that are Mosa Provincia, you know, luar Asika.
Speaker 1: He ends the video with a plea to those who still live in Ramasa Provincia. I don't know, my friends, what's happening there in Mexico, in the streets of Armaza Provincia. I don't live there anymore. I don't know the place as well as the people who live there now. But those who are watching this video or those who can remember that night, they can give a lot of information.
Speaker 4: Sperd alas persona, do you live in Dia.
Speaker 1: When Sibia's murder happened, there were numerous witnesses. Her family saw it all from inside the house, and the people outside on the street saw the killers or at least what appeared to be their cars, fleeing the scene. And yet when the police arrived to investigate, no one came forward with information about the cars or the shurer. It was a deafening collective silence. When we return ledm's official response. Shortly after Sibia's death, LEDM posted a video on their official Facebook page. The English title translates to pronouncements regarding the femicide of Sibia or Rosco.
Speaker 5: Allegria Buenas, then too Sitola in Las Alida.
Speaker 1: The video shows four women sitting at a long conference table. Behind them is a perfectly framed view of the Grand Temple. All are wearing ld m's modest clothes, little to no makeup, long skirts and high necklines. Masks cover their faces because it's twenty twenty and COVID is still raging. Each woman takes off her mask as she speaks, we.
Speaker 5: Were nastas av la masprofunga in thegnaccher.
Speaker 1: The first three speak about the church, but how ELDM works to promote gender equality and how the safest place for women believers is in the sisterhood of the church, the.
Speaker 5: Vista el maes professor La.
Speaker 1: The last woman to speak is Sibia's mother, Dalila ares.
Speaker 5: Mi nombres levanto paral sarmi bos.
Speaker 1: In dark sunglasses with her hair slicked back. Delila says she did not bring a speech. She brings only pain.
Speaker 5: Linias scritas, madre telaforma masquerel in Masco Barde the politicister and diamartes in Torona casso casa.
Speaker 1: She says, I don't have any written lines. I have the soft voice of a three year old boy whose mother was snatched from him in the cruelest way. On Tuesday, they truspassed into my house, into my kitchen and gone down my daughter.
Speaker 5: Jovi cuomo esta persona persona.
Speaker 1: I saw how that person, if you can call them a person, loaded my daughter with bullets. Dalila says, I saw him with my own eyes. I saw her body lying on the floor, covered in blood. I can't keep quiet. I demand the authorities do their job. Dalida goes on to say she has filed the complaint with authorities and says she wants to ask no, to demand that they do not let this go unpunished.
Speaker 5: Do you see whoes.
Speaker 1: Jo solo pidok the lord. There's raw pain in Dalila's voice. She lists the politicians she's spoken with, all of whom she says were kind and pledged to help her.
Speaker 5: Youes Al Senor Alfaro.
Speaker 1: But one months later, Oil Silva went to the district attorney's office to find answers. There was no trace of any collected evidence, no files on Sybia to be found. The case's official status is unknown, but for all practical purposes, it seems very much as dead as sibia Rosco. As we know from Moyses Padilla's case against the church in episode two, it's not uncommon for evidence to go missing or paperwork to get lost when it's related to lldm's wrongdoings. Oil says he had a friend who used to do this kind of dirty work for the church.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a friend that wished to be the lawyer of Samuel, one of the lawyers, and I knew he went in Mexico wa Allajara. He went to the judge, you know, with the judges and where all the paperwork is done, pay the employees, and bring disappeared the copies everything.
Speaker 1: Paying off authorities to make sure paperwork goes missing is not the only method l l DM has to make its problems go away. The church has carefully cultivated deep connections with the government and the police, both at the state and federal level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a salary in the pay roll of the state police.
Speaker 1: Earlier in this episode we mentioned the apostle has armed guards constantly patrolling his house.
Speaker 2: There was two levels there in Guadalajara. The first one was the one that was guardian all the time his house, and the Casa Grande and they were always a minimum force right there every day.
Speaker 1: But Royle says there are two levels of armed guards used by l LEDM. One is the private guard for the apostle, and the other is a civil force used to keep the peace in the community.
Speaker 2: And there was another one that was like a civil force to take care of the security of the Hermosa provincia. In general, you know to the members to keep the pace and keep the order during celebrations.
Speaker 1: Armed private guards are not common in Mexico. They are reserved only for the very rich, the very powerful, or the very criminal. Legally, no one can carry a firearm without a special permit. That permit has to come from the army and it's extremely difficult to get a.
Speaker 2: Jose and is protectorisos in Algunos, cassos los cassavancanos.
Speaker 6: They were like bodyguards, but they were volunteers in some cases those who were close to him. The job was to guard and escort. These were highly trained people who were well prepared. They had defensive training, I guess like general weapons training.
Speaker 1: This is Shadimgu's man. He worked as a political liaison for LDM in Ensenada. He knows the backroom dealings between an LDM and Mexico's politician and police force. Says very well, he interacted with members of the Apostles security detail regularly.
Speaker 3: Do you think have you persona theonomic constance? Have you persona.
Speaker 6: See there was a person I mean, I don't know him myself. There was a person who was a former militia soldier. He told me about it. They were comrades in the militia. The other man introducing himself to the church. He meets a girl, they get married, and he begins to give them security training.
Speaker 1: So this one former military guy basically trained the rest of the Apostles Armed Guards, and he was not the first one. Since Aaron's military days, l LM's guards have remained very cozy with Mexico's armed forces.
Speaker 3: I hinti Castamostros said, persona.
Speaker 6: There are people that become trainers and have even shown the credentials they've been trained to train others. Because there's a part of the guard that works as policemen. It's an area called civil protection, but they also act like an internal paramilitary with different functions. It's in their name, but they act as another secret guard. Alodia members are forbidden to be policemen or soldiers, but that restriction seems to be over now.
Speaker 1: They all belong to this entity inside LDM called Civil Protection, but unofficially the ones that guard the Joaquins twenty four seven form a special unit of hardcore followers called the Guards of Herico. LDM denies the existence of such a group, yet there they stand at all hours, armed and vigilant for all to see at the door of the Casagrande or whatever. The Apostles family can be found, but is sooneriapari.
Speaker 6: They are basically an internal paramilitary group under the guise of civil protection that have different functions. I mean, the name says it all, but secretly there is a group beyond that cover that is prepared for anything. Los Samuel, those who protected Samuel. They were people who were prepared to kill. How do you explain that an Apostle of God used armored cars.
Speaker 1: These guards, true believers, are there to protect the Apostle and his family by whatever means necessary.
Speaker 2: In his closed group of guards, we call it de Warudas. There were some extreme people there, you know, some of them. They they would go after a guy that talk bad about the apostle and beat him you know, or or else.
Speaker 1: According to former pastor Rector Vera, these guards are not just highly trained, they can be lethal.
Speaker 7: La Familia Juaquin is poderosa, is extempro t hiros port, garulas, grups, garuas, Mandan Golbierre, Mandan Matar.
Speaker 1: The Juaquin family is powerful. It's true. It is no wonder they need to be protected by loyal guards. But according to Ector, these guards ordered biddings. They ordered killings, and he names the case of Sibi Rosco or the.
Speaker 7: Cia Rosco in Temple der Moosa Provincia.
Speaker 1: So we know there's two levels of guards, one that patrols the streets of Armasa Provincia, keeping the peace on the streets, and a special, elite, more extreme force assigned to do the royal family's biddings. We know from Shariman Joel that these guards a trained by members of the Mexican military. Some are even alleged to be active policemen, and we know from Moys's attempted murder in episode two that when all else fails, LLDM is quite capable of having them or the Federalists at their service make the church's problems go away, but Moises was actively trying to discredit ll DM by launching a public campaign against its many abuses. Sybia, on the other hand, what just a thirty something single mother living with her parents in her Mosa provincia. No one has any evidence to prove the Joaquins, the Garcias, or any other member of the church order their goons to kill Seba, and yet Sybia didn't really have a life outside l DM. The circumstances around her murder suggest foul play. She was marked for death, so we must ask what threat did Sevia pose? What did Seba know that was so important, so much so that the only solution was to keep her permanently quiet. That's next after the break. One of the last posts on Sibioosco social media reads nuncayil cielo porkenos como In English, it means I'll never get to heaven because I don't know how. It was posted just a month almost to the date before her death. Below the caption is a selfie of her looking glamorous sort of badass, ripped jeans, pig seventies rock star style sunglasses, her black hair in a bob not exactly leddm's approved aesthetic. It's easy to read into a caption like that, as if she might have known death was coming. It's about Heaven, sure, but it's in a playful, bad girl language. Posts on her Facebook tell a slightly different story. On March twenty twenty, eight months before her death, she posted revenge is a dish best served cold, along with a grinning emoji and a picture of a woman at a protest holding a sign that said, why shut up if I was born screaming. Before twenty twenty, Sybia's Facebook posts were more of the live Love, laugh variety. There's pictures of her pregnant belly, a Christmas tree, and her father with the caption fullhouse, Happy Heart, and a photo of a champagne bottle ante amos spelled out in rose petals on a hotel bed on Valentine's Day. But something happened in the spring of twenty twenty that caused her to start posting threats on her Facebook page. That something was a bad breakup. Sybia had been in a long time relationship with celeem Garcia. We've met him before. He's the man you heard last episode, vehemently denying Sochil Martin's involvement with ld M and insisting the church had no knowledge of her on an interview with the news group Millennium.
Speaker 8: Laes personal persona the Cocamos complete.
Speaker 1: Cilem is ld m's official spokesperson. His main responsibilities are keeping l d m's ugly truths from coming out, offering empty words to the press, and maintaining an externally published image, and he does his job very well.
Speaker 8: LUs del Mundo s Elem Garcia solo replica in companion in the studios Lembeni, which so addresses Alejandro Mona notiz.
Speaker 1: Here he is defending Nasson's innocence on Millenniu.
Speaker 8: Like lesla luzer Mundo kine plena Confianza and naves and alisaros los falsos sennel amientos de los Cazi, lukeeto e la posto le esuk.
Speaker 1: Celeem isn't just lldm's official spokesperson. He's also the son of one of the big shod bishops of the church, Hilberto Garcia, the money maker, the deal breaker, the preacher who gave the speech that sealed the deal for Nassan to become the apostle. Right after some Moel passed away. Selim Garcia is the rumored father of Sebia's three year old son, the son who witnessed his mother gone down right in front of him. After Sybia's murder, Celim was conspicuously absent from all official ldm's declarations around her death. In fact, since that tragic November day, his usually abandoned media appearances dropped to almost zero, which is odd because Sibia's murder also coincided with Nasson's trial hitting up. You'd think Seleem would have a lot to say.
Speaker 9: Religious leaders are supposed to have the best interests of their followers and congregations in mind. Officials say that is not with the leader how the Light of the World Church was doing. Instead, they say he was abusing his position of power, taking advantage of people, families, and young children for his own sexual desires.
Speaker 1: In the class, Seleem was fifteen years Sibia senior and married to another woman, but Sibia had been Sillem's lover since she was a teenager. A gift from the Apostle to the loyal Garcia family. Sibia used to serve sam Oil and then Nason right before she was passed on to Hilberto and Seleem, and.
Speaker 2: She was my niece.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is hoile again. We heard him describe Sybia's killing earlier in this episode before leaving the church. He was close to Sybia and her family. Oil and Sybia come from a multi generational Ledm family, a family whose members know the ins and outs of the church it's inner workings better than most. They were very close to the apostles, their power and their secrets.
Speaker 2: But this girl was also a helper for Samuel in one time, and then she was passed to Nason and another time, and then Nason released her from his service and passes to help Sealem.
Speaker 1: Of course, Sileem does not officially acknowledge Sibia's son as his. We do not know what caused it to break up. All we have is a timeline from Sybia's Facebook the happy posts and then shortly after Valentine's Day twenty twenty, the angry posts about revenge being a dish best sef, cold, a jilted and mistreated lover with a lot of intimate knowledge about where La DM's bones are buried. That's something that would scare even an apostle of God.
Speaker 2: This lady had a lot of knowledge of the you know, the deeds of these people, so when she decided to talk about it, they disappear her. So there's many theories around there. They did it as an example of all the hundreds, if not thousands, of victims in her Mossa Provincia in other parts of Mexico.
Speaker 1: Coile has a theory of his own.
Speaker 2: It was a demonstration of power. You put an example of her. This is gonna happen if you open your mouth.
Speaker 1: Coyle's theory has to do with the crucial timing of the murder. Sebia's assassination went down just as Nasan's trial was about to start. Like Sibia, there are many LLDM women out there who could do a lot of damage if they came forward. After all, they were the ones that, in a mixture of fierce loyalty and brutal coercion, did most of the apostles dirty work.
Speaker 10: Prosecutor say, the Apostle, for all all his religious glory, has always had women in the church who helped to recruit and groom young girls in their teens for him to abuse and rape.
Speaker 1: That's next on Sacred scandal. Sacred Scandala Uzel Mundo is a production of Exiled Content Studio in partnership with Aarhartsmichael Doura podcast Network, and is hosted by me Robert Garraza, produced by Sabin Jansen with the help of Estella emet Reynald Kutierrez and Anna Isabel Obtavio. Written by myself and Menissa Heinrich, research by Robert G. Garza, additional reporting by Florence Second Soileist Geragarcia, Engineering by Umen Doza and Sabin Jensen. Sound designed by quatickin Unis. Original music by Patrick Hart, edited by writer Alsop and Rose Red. Executive producers are Rose Reed, Carmen gratterol Isa Klee, and Ando Villa. Ann Bautista over sees audio at Exiled Canton Studio. Our executive producers at iHeart Argisel Bancees and Arlene Santana. Sacred Scandal was created by Melanie Bartley and Paula Varus Special thanks to Sonic Union. For more podcasts, go to the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.