Speaker 1: Hi all in.
Speaker 2: Happy holidays from the whole crew of the history of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Season four has come to a close, and as a special delight, we are re releasing two of our favorite episodes. Then tuned back in on January ninth for the start of season five.
Speaker 3: Hi everybody, I'm Susie Esmond. Who are you?
Speaker 1: I'm Jeff Garland.
Speaker 3: And who's our special guest today?
Speaker 1: Cheryl?
Speaker 3: Hi, Cheryl Hih. Hi guys, Hi Cheryl. This is fun and we are on season three, Episode ten, the Grand Opening.
Speaker 1: People love this episode. Yes, I love this episode.
Speaker 3: I am questioned about this episode frequently. I know you are. I always love like an episode where I'm not in it a lot, but I'm talked about. I like he left an impression.
Speaker 1: Yes, one quote, Yes, we'll get more from And that's not even my favorite quote. There's another one that I love.
Speaker 3: All right, There's so many in this one. So we start out the local news is on TV and Cheryl and Larry are getting ready for bed, and Cheryl's like, guess who canceled lunch with me again? Susie Green, She keeps canceling lunch at me and blah blah, blah, and she used the stupid excuse that she had a dental appointment, and Cheryl says, it's bullshit, And I love that dynamic created usually Cheryl and I are partners in crime. Yeah yeah, wear us against these two. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I think though that it wasn't developed then were developing it in the hour. Cheryl hated my character, that's right, And then the HBO said to keep that going, and Larry said, I don't have a show off. Those two hate each other and that's why it completely changed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, you know a lot of these relationships. If you were saying about Larry and I in the last episode about our dynamic, how it changed, you know, and even you and I are die ynamic has changed. So it's something that you develop, especially when you're improvising. We don't know what it is. We're just making it up as we go along. Yes, So Larry says, maybe she's telling the truth. And then Cheryl asked Larry for a favor. She saw an osteopath for her cough, and the osteopaths said, if you take colon cleans, it'll just flush it right out of you, the cough right out of you, which sounds ridiculous to.
Speaker 1: Me, and Larry does question it. He does question and are I'll do it.
Speaker 3: He doesn't really believe it. And then we see in the background on the local news Andy Portico, who is the local restaurant critic.
Speaker 1: Played by Paul Wilson, who I've worked with before, who is a very funny man. He used to be on Cheers. He was not a.
Speaker 3: Regular, but he had a recurring role on Cheers, okay, and he's known Andy portgo for this thumbs up thumbs down, you know, that's his whole stick about restaurants. And he gives a horrible review to this restaurant, two thumbs down, and then Larry mentions he's coming into the opening. So it's a little sketchy. This guy is a hatchet man. You know, he's going to destroy he gives a bad review, the restaurant is over. He's controlling the fate of our restaurant, is what Larry says. And then oh, Larry mentions that Jeff's daughter, Sammy, goes to the same school as Andy Portico's Sun. So we cut to Larry and Jeff. They are in the health food store getting Sheryl colon cleansed it's the Rainbow health food store, and Larry always says he always feels more unhealthy in a health food store. And he asked Jeff about Susie's bullshit excuse, and Jeff says, no, it's true. She was at a dental appointment. I was with her.
Speaker 1: Now, not having seen this episode in years, I assumed I was lying when I said, no, it's true, that's true. I know, but I'm saying I didn't remember the episode except little parts. And I was like, yeah, that's I'm lying. I guess I say it the same way either way.
Speaker 3: You're a very good liar, Yeah, I guess you're very used to it well. And Jeff Green is a very practiced liar, Yeah, much more so than Jeff Garland.
Speaker 1: I assume I don't really lie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Jeff Green and Larry David are big fucking liars on the show.
Speaker 1: Because lying only gets you into by the way this show is, this show, sample of lying gets you into worse trouble. And I've always felt that and that's the way I work. Big ears small mouth, also.
Speaker 3: Big ears small mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, love hearing, don't talk well.
Speaker 3: You have not followed that.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I have. I most certainly am. And especially by the way, Larry and I, that's our mantra with each other. Okay, like you know, if he tells me something, I don't say anything.
Speaker 3: I know that, okay, yeah, different, I see.
Speaker 1: What you're saying about people I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, we get it. So then Larry is the clerk where the colon cleanses, and the clerk shouts across to the cashier guy, where's the call? And everybody's staring at Larry about getting the coal.
Speaker 1: And blinking of everybody. Did you notice someone in that scene now as one of the customers, Aaron O'Malley.
Speaker 4: I didn't notice that.
Speaker 5: Shoot, I didn't notice see them because my friend Ben Falcone is the person that shouts it right, where's the okay, which I which I didn't. I totally forgot. The man is married to Melissa McCarthy.
Speaker 1: Who you also got on the show. She was in the with the doll and the toy start because he was.
Speaker 5: Looking for gosh, these guys, these guys are groundlings, and so I would you know, when we were casting stuff, I would always bring in my friends like you have to you have to see this person. You have to see that person, and they come in and.
Speaker 3: So Cheryl would bring in Groundlings and Jeff would bring in Second City.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the most part, Yeah, that was very true.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and they were all terrific and well trained improv people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the most part, they were all cast.
Speaker 5: It does feel like that. It does feel like that, Yeah, because they.
Speaker 3: Were all good. They were all good, and you know, you know, when you're working with somebody in that context improvising, you know whether they're good or not. It's it's like because you're you're on stage with them, and it's you know, and they're.
Speaker 1: Also the most equipped to do the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Larry screams is for my wife, you know, he gets all embarrassed from my wife. And then and then in the door he sees somebody that looks very familiar, a guy with a full head of dark hair, you know, walking out into the parking lot and he's and he's like realizing that's the chef that he hired. And he only hired the chef because he was bald. But Cheryl pointed out in that episode before this one that he only hired the chef because he was bald and Larry and Jeff confront the chef. What was his name, Jeff?
Speaker 1: I forgot Gomez played the chef.
Speaker 3: No, but not that with the chef's name. I forgot.
Speaker 1: I couldn't tell you that in a million years.
Speaker 3: And they're like, what's with the two pei?
Speaker 1: Phil? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, what's that?
Speaker 6: I thought you said you didn't well, yeah, I did came into the interview, Yes, I.
Speaker 2: I I just assumed and I was right that you're one of those people find that men who enhance their.
Speaker 1: Appearance are wrong and it stupid.
Speaker 6: So I took my to pay off. He came in ball just to get the job.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I deceived. I hope this doesn't you know, affect you know.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm sorry, but but but it will. I know, but I don't trust you. I'm sorry. You gotta be ashamed of yourself. Let's go.
Speaker 3: And all that. That's it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: That was hilarious anyway.
Speaker 1: Yes, but also Ian's explanation of that he thought that he shouldn't wear it for the interview, and then when he saw that Larry really had disgust for people wearing too pass the choice. The Nazi should have picked them up. That's extreme. And then so he wouldn't wear it whenever he saw Larry. And I think that's reasonable. But Larry's like, I have to.
Speaker 3: Fll Larry doesn't trust him, and he is he's Larry's you ought to be ashamed of yourself. And Larry once told my husband, Jimmy has a shaved ted. He's ball, but he shaves his head. And Larry once told him that he's not really a part of the Ball brotherhood because he fakes it by trying to make it seem like he's part of the by shaving.
Speaker 1: A bald community.
Speaker 3: Does the bald community brotherhood? He says, also bald brotherhood. And then you're in the car, Larry and Jeff are in the car. And what was he thinking? He had no plan. He had no plan, you know, no system. And Larry says that Jeff would have a proclivity to hire a fat person as opposed to a thin person.
Speaker 1: So, by the way, I don't know if that's true about fat people. I think that's a false observation.
Speaker 3: It would depend I doubt it's true about bull people too. It's only no, no, no, I think it's true.
Speaker 1: Thinks that would be definitely true that you'd have a proclivity for other ball people like you know, that's like, you know, he says, the community, the brotherhood, that is real.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, I feel an affinity for curly heads. What for women with curly hair? I feel an affinity for them.
Speaker 1: Oh, so would you hire someone.
Speaker 3: H But I feel because it's such a thing when you grow when you grow up with curly hair. It is a thing, trust me. And whenever I see somebody with curly hair, we always say what products do you use? There's always like some kind of connection about having curly hair. That's too funny.
Speaker 5: But by the way, Jebo, one of my favorite lines in this show, and I won't even quote it, but when you guys were talking about this chef wearing the two pay in the day and not wearing it at night, and you said, what kind of life is that? He's like living a duel in consistance.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is also I Belie leave. The first time Larry and I just have a conversation, like a full on conversation about stuff in the show, I think before it was more succinct. And I love when they're yes, yes, that's because that's the way I like to work. I don't care how much screen time. I just like working with air. I don't like when it has to be succinct.
Speaker 3: Well, then you guys go into a whole riff on this thing about.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, so I do so, so what Well, I'm just want you to notice, Okay, I noticed is duly noted.
Speaker 1: All right, I know you. I knew.
Speaker 7: Before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I was going to say that too, say that.
Speaker 3: I knew you were going to say that. I knew you were going to say that. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which was very funny and.
Speaker 1: It's funny and I love it. Do you remember in the in the Richard Kindes episode, I was talking about the scene at the entrance to the cemetery that it was cut out. Yeah, and they killed me because it was one of those scenes it was just so real and funny and they killed me. So that's what this scene is like like.
Speaker 3: That, right, okay, right, And you know, I think those scenes are important between all of us, just to show what the relationships are.
Speaker 1: They're very important.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's one of the things that I really noticed watching these two episodes, you know, watching this one, and because back in these early days. So many of my scenes with Larry were in our bedroom, yes, you know, getting ready for bed, and it's like it didn't feel like a scene.
Speaker 3: It just felt like we're talking about stuff.
Speaker 5: And I really missed that part, you know, because people are intimacy. Intimacy, Yeah, people are different when they're out with their face.
Speaker 1: By the way, those scenes we believe you're married. It firmly establishes your relationships.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: By the way, when we were shooting, especially during that time, sometimes I would feel like, oh, I have a dual existence, Like I think in one world I'm.
Speaker 3: Married to Larry, and then another world I am a completely different person.
Speaker 5: But when we were shooting, because you know, just because of the nature of the show and it's improvised, and usually you know, the takes are pretty long because we.
Speaker 3: Just we don't know what we'd I want to.
Speaker 5: Cut and it will just be quiet, you know, scenes with me and Larry just lying in bed or brushing our teeth.
Speaker 3: I love those scenes. Yeah, I love those scenes. And a lot of times I know there was not stuff that was written, but great stuff came out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a skeleton on those scenes, the skeleton script. It was a Bear Essentials.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I miss I really miss those because that that was really fun and like you're saying intimate, okay, go ahead, okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Well, if anyone doesn't need to say okay, go ahead, it's you. I'm the annoying one. I'm the bipolar one.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 1: We're just so happy to have you here to talk to you.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 3: So then you guys established no chef and the restaurant is opening in four days because Larry now has to fire the guy because he has a two pay. He can't he can't have the guy be the chef because he has to pay. So then you're gonna go to Sammy's school and drop off Sammy's lunch, and then you're gonna go to the restaurant. So you go to Sammy's school and Larry sees these all these kids, these teenagers because it's a K through twelve school and they're all both First, Larry sees the kid. He goes, oh, look at that kid. He's going through chemo therapy. And Jeff explains to him, no, there is a kid going through chemo therapy at the school. And all the other seniors shaved their heads in solidarity with this kid who's going through chemo.
Speaker 1: May I say something logic wise, Yeah, why is Sammy going to school with seniors in high school? She's like eight?
Speaker 3: Because Larry asked you that question and you said it's a K through twelve school. Oh, I'm sorry he asked you that question. The thing so because obviously it was odd to him as well. Yes, And Larry has a moment where he.
Speaker 6: Says, you know, maybe maybe one day I'll got a chance to do something good for somebody like that.
Speaker 1: It's really touching. You've already got a kind of a head start.
Speaker 3: Actually, maybe someday I'll be able to do something, you know, like that shave my head in solidarity and show support to somebody. Maybe someday I'll be able to do that. And knowing him as we know him, you just think he'll never be able to do head start.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: And then there's a game of dodgeball, which I you know what, I remember dodgeball very very well and element I hated dodgeball terrifying. We had this really sadistic gym teacher, mister Anderson, and he used, you know, the boys used to throw the ball and you would get these burnings, I know, and he would enjoy it. I really think he used.
Speaker 5: To enjoy the same thing happened with me. And it was terrifying. It was terrified that ball coming. I could really get hurt.
Speaker 1: We used to play a game called bombardment, which is a little bit because dodgeball there's lots of balls going at once. Bombardment it's one ball that you throw and try and hit somebody and knock them out. And I remember it was very disturbing for me. I was very athletic, so I was in until the end. But that being said, the weakest kids were the first targets.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I saw these poor, sweet, nerdy kids who were horrified getting like it was just so terrifying and wrong. Yeah, bombardment. Dodgeball should be voluntary own. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know what what I recall is the boys. If the boys liked you, they'd hit you extra hard, you know, because they were eight or nine. And we need to show how exactly. So there is a game of dodgeball and we see that Andy Portico thumbs up thumbs down, is playing and Larry gets into the game with Andy and Portico says, I'm coming to your restaurant next week to review it. And you see, Portico is fucking brutal in this dodge ball game. He's hitting kids. He's just competitive. You're really taking him out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he's hitting the kids. It is really funny.
Speaker 3: It is really funny. Well you see who this guy is. I mean, it's a great indication of who this guy is. It's a character thing. And then he starts going back and forth with Larry and they get into it.
Speaker 4: All right, you hit the ground, hit the ground, hit the ground.
Speaker 9: Portoco out, well, even done.
Speaker 3: Sorry, And finally Larry throws the ball at him really hard and he breaks his fingers.
Speaker 1: Not good now, by the way, When I come out and I say, what the fuck, I think that's the first what the fuck. I'm being serious when I say these things because I've said it to him so many times on the show. Yeah, that might be the first what the fuck? And I have two pieces of information. One's a trivia piece and one's so even though I say I'm walking off to go deliver it to Sammy, I'm not. I'm back in my producer's chair watching on the monitor. So I'm sitting there and Larry looks at me before the scene's being shot, and he goes, you know what to do, and I go, I do my job on the show from the very beginning to the very end was extra. Watch my eyes. I've watched the scene, certainly, but I was the one watching the extress and I'm not allowed to talk to the extress. Neither is the director the AD.
Speaker 3: So it was wait, so let me ask, wait, is that true? Dale? It was Dale? Yeah, Dale, They're not. They're literally only the AD is allowed to talk to extras. That's a rule. Yes, I know that.
Speaker 1: He's the one who communicates with them, so otherwise they'd be hearing things from a million different directions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Dale was really Stern.
Speaker 1: Dale Stern was running in circles that day because there were so many extras, being afraid of the ball in a gigantic way, throwing the ball with a spin like nothing was real. So I'm doing that, doing that, doing that. Okay, Now that day was a really I've got goosebumps because I never forget it. So We're at lunchtime and I'm sitting in the parking lot away from everybody in the director's chair, and I get a phone call telling me I've been casting Daddy Daycare. Then I'm going to be one of the leads in a movie with Eddie Murphy. And I remember sitting there on the set. I could not believe it. I could I was in awe And actually aerinon O'Malley took a picture of me in that moment of me being on the.
Speaker 3: Phone, But that was Can I just say tell everybody who Erin O'Malley is Erin O'Malley was our line producer at the time.
Speaker 1: Who became coexact and exec who even from the moment she was line producer, she should have been given the credit of executive producer.
Speaker 3: What she messed she was terrific. And she's now a director. I'm she directs like crazy now.
Speaker 1: She was an executive producer of You Girl, like so many big shows she's been the executive producer on and I know because she's produced two of my movies that she's always wanted to direct, and so I'm so happy for her, and I'm seeing her in a couple of weeks. So you could tell me to say hello.
Speaker 3: To please say hell. Erin O'Malley, We say hello, Okay.
Speaker 1: Cool. So that's a trivia and a piece of information on extras.
Speaker 3: And extras are a whole other thing.
Speaker 1: Background is a big ball of interesting.
Speaker 3: Yes on many levels, Cheryl, What were you going to say, honey.
Speaker 5: No, no, I was I'm just agreeing with you about the extras.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've had some moments.
Speaker 1: Yes. By the way, whenever we film with background, I go around to them and thank them for doing the show, yes, which which they're always like what I go, no, no, no, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: For doing That's very sweet to me. The most challenging thing with extras was during the pandemic. That was very challenging. That's later on.
Speaker 5: I'm just what it's a one little background story and it's not about this episode, but it's it'll be one in the future. And I couldn't even tell you which one. But and I don't know if you guys were there that day, but we were shooting something where, you know, like a wake type of a thing in somebody's living room.
Speaker 3: Somebody had just died.
Speaker 1: And no, that's already happened that season one, beloved ant.
Speaker 3: Well, it could have been something else. I The funk Howser Memorial's been many.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think this one is is later later, because I'm sure it was the second idea told background you're not to talk in this scene, you know, just the principles, and so it's kind of a quiet scene and Larry walks up to one of the background and says, uh, you know, I don't know who died, but let's say his name was Frank.
Speaker 3: And he's like, how did you know Frank?
Speaker 5: And the background players just started mouthing words.
Speaker 1: I completely forgotten that. And there was one you know, Larry and I for the rest of time would imitate that. Oh my god, I know where that was. That was at the scene where Larry throws a twenty dollars bill on the ground because he stole the perfume for you.
Speaker 3: That's when he's going on a funk Houser memorial. Yes, yes, yes, And then Larry was like, what are you doing? And the guy is still like mouthing words back to Larry.
Speaker 1: Well, it was Larry's fault for asking him a question. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 5: Larry was like, what's going on in this scene? And you know, did they stopped it down and asked the guy and he said, I was told not to talk and then Larry. If my memory serves me, I think Larry was so taken with the guy that he said, I'm going to ask you a question you can answer.
Speaker 3: Think you got a lie in that day.
Speaker 1: For a period that didn't happen towards the later seasons, but for a period we upgraded more extras than I've ever seen in my life, including beloved ant. All those people sitting on the couch in the living room were background, and suddenly they all had parts and they were free to talk. And by the way they were, they were fucking good too.
Speaker 3: And Jeff, let's just clarify for people who don't know, extras are paid more if they speak a background.
Speaker 1: If they have no extras, they're upgraded to an under five. Or if they do more than five, they get it. They're paid more.
Speaker 3: They're any credit, they get it. You know, you put it on.
Speaker 1: Your they're acting, and that's an acting job. Not that I think background is acting. Great. Background it is is so appreciative.
Speaker 3: It's hard to do. It is hard to do, and by the way, they got to do it over and over and over again, take after take after take. Okay, so now we're back at Bobo's at the restaurant, and Larry says he they're all upset that everybody's there, Jim Swinson and Susie Nakamura and lu DiMaggio and Michael York and apparently Ted is gone. Ted has taking his money and left, and Larry said he had to fire him. He's a liar. And now they're all, you know, nonplussed. You know, Portico is gonna they're stuck in the mire, in the muck, and Portico is going to slaughter around.
Speaker 1: Hold on. That is the minutia kind of thing that Larry loves. I love as a viewer. I love being there watching it.
Speaker 3: When he said it's a language thing too, you know, it's a use of legs.
Speaker 1: The nuance of both words that might mean the same and going back and forth. I find that so delightful. And Larry's great.
Speaker 3: At it, great at it. Well, he said, he's a word smith. And then they tell Larry he's got to go apologize to Portico. So he does. He goes to apologize to Portico, and we see Portico's got two too big. His hands are completely wrapped up. Why for a couple of fingers, I don't know, but it works and and Eldie apologizes, and he won't be able to review the restaurant now because he can't do thumbs up with thumbs down. That's his stick. If he can't do thumbs up thumbs down, it's over for him. And Portico tells him about this chef that he knows who was just at Martinez in New York, Gee Berney Burney. What was his name was that it Jeff, It's gee, he's friend. And then and then Portico's assistant brings him spaghetti and Portico is completely abusive to the assistant. So you see what a fucking asshole this guy is. And eld starts to feed him the spaghetti, which is really gross.
Speaker 6: Let's make this happen, Larry, okay, come on, no.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, and will you stop it?
Speaker 1: No? No you please?
Speaker 3: You come on?
Speaker 5: Good?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good, it's good.
Speaker 6: Isn't that parcas?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh my gosh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, So he starts hold on, He starts out giving small amounts, and then he starts shoving torch folds, which is hilarious.
Speaker 3: Then we go out and I think I think he did that because he's no longer reviewing the restaurant, so we didn't have to be nice to him anymore.
Speaker 1: But I think his big motivation was the way he treated his assistance. It was horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're back. And then cut to the restaurant and they were interviewing Gie Bernet, who is played by Paul Sand.
Speaker 1: Paul Sand who is Second City and also a legend and show legend and a true and a true genius on so many levels. He had the highest rated show ever to be canceled on Network TV.
Speaker 3: What was that? It was a sitcom?
Speaker 1: I can't Yes, it was sitcom. It was on Saturday Nights with Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart and all that, and it was really successful. And I forgot the read he told me the story. I cannot remember it now, but I think that's a fascinating piece of trivia.
Speaker 3: Well why did they cancel it? Who knows?
Speaker 1: I don't remember, but it was at the time. It may still be the highest rated show ever to get canceled.
Speaker 3: Okay, And we see Paul Sand is playing Gee and he's French and he's very you know, particularly he will not cook salmon. He will not take it, He will not poach it. He did, will not cook with capers.
Speaker 1: You know, I hate you.
Speaker 3: See, he's like an EXCES crazy guy. And then Larry notices a number tattooed on his forearm and assumes that he is a Holocaust survivor because when you entered a concentration camp, they tattooed a number onto your arm because you were just cattle. You were not a human being. And all of a sudden, Gee starts she cockstucker and starts, you know, cursoring. Then we cut to Cheryl and Larry getting into Larry's car, and Larry's car is filthy and disgusting, and Cheryl complains about it that it's disgusting, and Larry says, I'm going to go to a car wash, and Cheryl says, I don't have time. I'm meeting Susie for lunch. If I'm late, she's going to be angry at me again, and blah blah blah, and Larry says it's only going to take two minutes, and then they're in the car wash. Now, Cheryl, I know you remember shooting this scene.
Speaker 1: Oh I do, yes, by the way, I remember it, and I was in awe. I could not believe it. Larry and I just kept saying this phrase over to one another.
Speaker 3: What a sport, Yes, you really were.
Speaker 1: We said that maybe a hundred times. Wow.
Speaker 3: So you went into a real car wash? Yeah, yes, he was a real car wash, which is crazy. So let me let me just say what happens, and then we'll go to that. In the car wash, Cheryl's getting cramps from her calling cleans, and all of a sudden the car is stuck. It's not moving. You're banging on the window. Cheryl has to go really bad. Larry calls, tries to get the number of the car wash. He finally gets it. He's screaming at the woman. She can't hear him because it's so loud.
Speaker 1: And by the way, she's smiling all through that, which I thought was awesome.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then Cheryl can't stand it anymore. She's got a poop and she gets out of the car.
Speaker 8: Larry, you wait, wait, I gonna go. I gotta go, I gotta go, I gotta go.
Speaker 3: What do you remember about that?
Speaker 5: Well, you know, we kept shooting the end side of the car before I had to actually get out, and uh, it was and forth when are you going back?
Speaker 3: And how did they how did they shoot them?
Speaker 5: They just turned on the air condition or the car wash, and they said, do you want to try it, because it would be great to get your face and just do as much as you can.
Speaker 10: And I was like, all right, what a sport and started walking through how many takes?
Speaker 3: Do you remember? How many takes?
Speaker 5: I know we at least did it twice, because I remember having to dry off everything and change and drying.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm pretty sure it was only twice, and the stunt double didn't need to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think she ever did. No, No, but I hope you. I hope you went home and took a shower. No need was beyond clean after that. Okay, So Cheryl, as we know, gets caught in the hall flapping straps and all of that gets out of the car, and then we cut to it is the grand opening of Bobos and Dumb Name Bobo and Jeff and Larry are talking and Jeff tells Larry that Susie's craze. She doesn't believe Cheryl got stuck in a car wash. So we're seeing that the whole thing between us and Larry to the group, So we want to put down bread or we want to put down olives, and Gee says to the background, no olives, no, no, no olives.
Speaker 4: What do you do with the pit?
Speaker 3: They discuss lemon and water, and again he's like, motherfucking cocksucking asshole. And it's not the grand opening yet. There are just at the rest of them made a mistake. Yeah, and Simaggio says, I'm beginning to think it's involuntary, the screaming out, so they're starting to figure out the Gee character has Tourette's and that Portico did this on purpose to fuck them. Yes. Yeah, because of the restaurant the way it was. It's an open kitchen.
Speaker 5: It's an open kitchen so everyone can watch the chef and can be a part of that experience.
Speaker 3: And when he was in Martinez in New York, it was the kitchen was in the back, so it didn't matter. Yeah, Larry says he can't fire him because he's a Holocaust Friver cut to Larry and Cheryl getting dressed again in the bedroom. Another scene in the bedroom, Cheryl and Larry fetching, and Cheryl says, is this two nts landing? And Larry has no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
Speaker 1: That's one of the great lines. I know it's a show, but I have no idea what that means. That's a great loan because that back then, there's no way I watched Notts Landing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew it was knew in the ether, you know that what No, No, I knew it was a show.
Speaker 1: Because I followed TV. I used to get the fall preview TV.
Speaker 3: There were as many shows, so you knew what shows there were. It was a hand.
Speaker 1: But for those kinds of shows, it was not Landing.
Speaker 3: In Dallas and Dynasty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dynasty too, Yeah, that's right. Those were the primetime soaps, is what they initially called him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Larry doesn't get the reference. And Larry says, and quite astutely, he doesn't understand why this chef doesn't curse in French? Why in English?
Speaker 4: He's got a point, Nobody.
Speaker 3: What I saw was such a good question. Cheryl says she's not looking forward to running into Susie Green at the opening. She hates me and she won't even talk to me. And then we are at the grand opening and everybody's there, Jeff's parents are there, Cheryl's parents are there. Louis is there sitting with Joyce. His real wife was his day. His assistant, the janitor Caroline aaron I forgot the name of her character. The housekeeper was yes, Dora was there. Everyone's there. Everybody has bells on the table, and Larry sees a whole group of investors and are wearing Larry sees the investors hanging out at the bar, and he goes to the investors and Jim Swinson's a little drunk, and where's Susie. Everybody's asking where I am?
Speaker 1: And way, also, if I can point out, I'm wearing a red shirt today, but back then, I was wearing a dress shirt in this color, the bright red. Yes, and all I thought to myself, Oh, that's insane, that's insane, because it was really No one wears a red shirt like that with their.
Speaker 3: True red dress shirt yet little redress shirt.
Speaker 1: It was nuts.
Speaker 3: So Larry goes to say hello to Gee at the thing, and Gee is very upset because Gee missed the lottery by one number. And he shows Larry the numbers on his arms that he wrote down his lottery numbers, so the numbers were not and he spits he spits into his finger and hears it all and he rubs it off and erases it. So Larry realizes he's not a Holocaust survivor. He's a lottery player.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to say something. This is the first time that he ever used an outside idea that wasn't his ever, And it was also the first time where I said, you know this comedian, I know David Feldman has a great idea, and that was David Feldman's idea was because Larry loved it right away. But Larry didn't use anyone's outside Well, yes, it's.
Speaker 3: Not true, Jeff. We learned in the prior episode he used Cheryl's idea for the baby Jesus.
Speaker 1: But that was not Cheryl's idea. She didn't pitch it to him. She was telling me what she was experiencing. That doesn't count. This is the one time and he loved he knew David Feldman, and he loved the idea and he used it. So I want to give David.
Speaker 3: Feldman was very funny, So Gee is not a Holocaust survivor. And then we have a montage of everybody drinking and laughing and having a great bell ringing and bell ringing a big success and all of a sudden, Gee screams out shit.
Speaker 4: Says cocksucker, asshole, soon of a bitch.
Speaker 1: Maybe one day I got a chance to do something good for somebody like that.
Speaker 6: Scum sucking motherfucking whore.
Speaker 4: Cock cock chisum grandma talk bum fuck turn fat count piss ship bucker and bowls damn it hell flank.
Speaker 5: Ship you god damn motherfucking bitch, Fuck you your car wash cunt.
Speaker 4: I had a deadal.
Speaker 1: Appointment Latio colingus French kissy rim job right schmull push.
Speaker 8: Pussy pig boy cot girl.
Speaker 1: Copy I e I.
Speaker 3: Fuck head, shit face, cocksucker, asshole, son of a bitch or something like that. I was writing really quickly. Yes, And then you see Larry look at him and then have a memory of the bald kids at the school at Sammy's school who shaved their heads in solidarity, and you hear him say, maybe one day I'll be able to do something like that.
Speaker 5: I did like the flashback. We don't have that many flashbacks on curves.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, but that one made perfect sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, did you remind And the fog got the dog And then Larry just you know, outbursts with his curses, and then Jeff outbursts with cock and chisholm, and you know we're all so used to that.
Speaker 1: Well, hold on, this is really interesting, Larry said, for the next take, one last cock, one less grandma. That's the note I got. I don't know anyone in the history of show business who's ever got a note one less cocked, one less grandma.
Speaker 3: And Michael Yorke with bug iron balls, yeah, and Jim Swinson very uncomfortable cursing. And then Cheryl chimes in, you goddamn son of a bitch. What did you say, you god damn son of a bitch? You ended with bit And then just at that moment I walk in, Cheryl is facing the door. I assume she's talking to me, and I say, now here's I'll tell you about. I say, famously, fuck you, you car washcunt. I had a dental appointment, but we shot that. I was in the trailer. We shot that at a restaurant on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica. Yes, yes, And I was in that trailer starting at about six o'clock at night, and we ended up shooting that scene at six o'clock in the morning. It was all night. I was sitting in my trailer and I never You both know this. I never pre write lines ever. This is the only time I ever pre wrote sitting in my and also because usually you're just listening and you're responding, this was I was walking in, saying something and leaving, so it kind of made sense that I would know with the line. And I was thinking, Okay, Susie's always into alliterations, you fat fuck, you four eyed fuck, and I came up with car washcunt. And when I said that that line, Larry said to me, don't make a reference to the episode, because nobody's doing that. We're all just cursing because we're in solidarity with me. Do you know that that's what I said? I said, my character doesn't know that. She walks in and she thinks Cheryl is cursing at her. So he said, do it a couple times your way, and do it a couple of times my way, and I did, and he used my way, which I'm glad of because it was a great line.
Speaker 8: We'll be right back, stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: My favorite swearing thing was Louie Night.
Speaker 3: Louie Night from leg boycock girl cock ya ya ya, and we knocked.
Speaker 5: At each other after the young the whole place just bursted the laughter because.
Speaker 3: We're like, Paul also was great, Paulo rip job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, Paul was great. But I remember Louis being so perfect and they said, let's do it again. I'm like, why, I remember, I got really upset. Why that is perfection? Boycot girl kye. And then he did something else that which they instructed and it's not Larry, but nonetheless boycott girl cocky yea yea, oh, one of my favorite lines.
Speaker 3: It was a great line and only Louis and I and no one else would say and the way he said it is hilarious. And then Richard Lewis is cursing. Then that is cursing that everybody. And it was just a wonderful, joyous free for all of everybody.
Speaker 1: Fuck you, Grandma's yea yea and Larry's standing in the middle of it. Very satisfying.
Speaker 3: Are satisfied? Yeah, And that was the end of the season.
Speaker 5: You don't what I remember about this episode, especially because, as you guys know, after every season, Larry would say.
Speaker 3: I don't know, this might be it. I think this is it.
Speaker 5: And that season I really felt like, oh man, this is it. And like you said, Susie, we shot all night. Everybody was there all night, and I remember when I was driving home the sun was rising yep. And then I started getting like Kiri and I said, oh my god, that's the last time we're gonna shoot Curb. And then it's very also very funny that that would be.
Speaker 3: How we go out yet end. The last memory of everyone was just like screaming out of.
Speaker 1: Well, no, if I'm not mistaken, that's the first season long storyline. Correct.
Speaker 3: Season two we didn't have, Well, no season two did. I'm trying to remember what it was, but it wasn't as intricate.
Speaker 1: It was intermittent. If I'm not mistaken. Season two, this is the first not down drag out from episode one to episode ten. The main storyline is the restaurant, right, and everything drives that. What I find amazing about our show and it's always made me laugh. Whatever happened the last season doesn't exist in the new season. We never mentioned the restaurant. There's no house doing it.
Speaker 3: How about, well, it's not in this season. Oh no, it isn't this season. We're unpregnant?
Speaker 1: Is that this season?
Speaker 3: I think it was this season Nanny from Hell, Yes, the Nanny was this season, and then there's no baby, and nobody ever mentions it ever, No, I know.
Speaker 1: The only time where it almost happened is in which was the Coffee? Was what season?
Speaker 3: Season ten?
Speaker 1: So season eleven, there was a reference to Mocha Joe dying of COVID. Yes, and it was pretty funny the way it was written, but they cut it out. It was cut out completely. But that's the only time I ever saw a reference to the season before and it didn't make it.
Speaker 3: I think there's been a few others. We'll keep an eye out find out. Well.
Speaker 5: It's like what we were talking about earlier, that Curb started out as a win hour special on HBO, wasn't meant to be a series. And in the winter special, Larry and I had two kids right right, Oh, we never saw them. We talked about them a little bit, that they were off at summer camp or something, and then when the show started we started shooting the show as a series, he just never never talked about him again, just pretended like that never works.
Speaker 3: Much better with you guys not having kids. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: And by the way, our show, to my knowledge, the only one I can think of. Well, obviously this they did this on Lucy and the Honeymooners, and that is repeat actors, like one week they'd be the Postman. So our show, we've had people do two. I think Brad Morris did the show three times, but it was like, no, one's not it's just it's just you. Colombo did it a lot, yes, you know, because they were his friends that he wrotated the same.
Speaker 3: Thing here it's usually friend. But oh, by the way, another one that's an inconsistency is in season one, Sammy was a boy and then she girl for the Dogs. I remember that, Yeah, Sammy was a boy. Did we see Sammy as a boy or just just talking about we referenced her, well, wasn't she a baby in the first toddler but we referenced her as a he Sammy and then she became Samantha.
Speaker 5: That have you guys talked about at all that you'll have celebrities on playing you know themselves. I put it into air quotes because it's a version. But then also really famous celebrities that are playing a character.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: Comment, yeah, I remember watching the movie A Chicago movie, and it was an indie movie. I knew most of the actors in it. John Jewsac was extraordinarily famous in A Chicago Guy, and he played a passenger in a cab that the lead character was driving. Okay, and it was so distracting. You're like John Cusack's there. So the thing that I learned is if you're gonna have a famous person being something, it has to be a substantial part because then they have time to establish their character as well as the audience is not thinking about who they are. But Vince, you're not sitting there going that's Vince Faun. If he came in for one scene and he didn't play Vince Vaughn, very distracted.
Speaker 3: N There's also special circumstances because he came on after Bob died, so we had.
Speaker 1: Other actors playing characters who are very famous. But that is something that I learned. Distracting in this all part completely believable and acceptable in a large part because you think actors are playing characters and movie, but you gotta, you know, develop the character during the course.
Speaker 3: Also on our show, you know, because Cheryl is Cheryl David and you're Jeff Green and I'm Susie Green, and we all have our real first names. But then Ted Dancing is Ted Dancing and Richard Lewis is Richard.
Speaker 4: It blurs the.
Speaker 3: Lines well, and then he's Larry Davis Larry David.
Speaker 1: But I gotta say, prior to the show, people didn't know Jeff Garland, people didn't know Susie Esmond, people.
Speaker 3: Didn't know she know Larry David.
Speaker 1: Yes, but he needed to be Larry David because that's the premise of the show. So I'm saying the other ones, Richard Lewis would be weird playing Richard Schwartz and Ted Danson playing anything but Ted Danson. And that was for I believe it was episode two where Ted makes his first appearance the Bowling. I don't remember. No, maybe episode one.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't episode, but it was. It was in the two episode.
Speaker 1: But he had to be because Mary Steinbergon played herself, which she did in another episode two or three other episodes. So there's a moment where it makes total sense, and then other moments where and by the way, during the latter seasons, I'm not talking about Vince because that was a special circumstance. I hated when we casted famous people.
Speaker 3: I hated a character or as himself.
Speaker 1: I hated when we cast famous people as themselves. Fun, but as a part, I always felt we should go with someone that people didn't know, like, for example, Josh gadd is the podiatress. Josh gadd is a very close friend of mine. I love him. I played his father in a movie. Okay, him playing that small part of the podiatress. And I know Josh chiropractor. I know that Larry knew Josh too, loved him, wanted to give him a show, and I knew Josh wanted to be on the show. But I found that a terrible distraction. And I really hated and always hated if it wasn't a part of substance, when we'd hire famous people and the other parts.
Speaker 3: I would bet you you didn't feel that way about Tracy Yellman.
Speaker 1: Well, no, but she's playing a character.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. She was a famous person playing.
Speaker 1: But who else? Just named somebody who could have played that role.
Speaker 3: No, she was kind of But I'm saying she was a famous person playing a character.
Speaker 1: Yes, but a character you couldn't even see Tracy Yellman. I'm talking about Josh Gadd didn't have prosthetics on me.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing too about our show that I think is different because at some point, even at from the beginning, the show business crowd, you know, they were they were attracted to the show, and they got all the jokes, and so I'm sure you guys felt it too that as time went on, very famous people would come up to me and say, I just want to be on the show. I'll be a waiter, I'll be a waitress. I'll just walk by in the background all the time. But the most famous asking me to be on the show, and I'd be like, I don't.
Speaker 3: Have that control the producers season which is coming up next right, which I was at the.
Speaker 1: Movies and I remember bumping into Ben Stiller and I go, I got something for you. I know you want to do it. I got something because I had said to Larry what about Ben Stiller after that? And he goes, oh, And then of course we hired Ben. But that kind of role needs a famous person.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure, because they were starring in a Broadway shot.
Speaker 1: I am all for unknown actors getting a break. I'm all for break character actors. So I've always been including this last season anti famous person when not necessary. You know what, it doesn't bother me, It bothers me when we do it. It bothers me afterwards. It's distracting and I don't like it. And I love the word. That's why the strike is going on now. I don't know when this airs, but I fight for actors I find. I'm a member of Writers Guild and SAG. But it's about who's getting hurt in all this, the character.
Speaker 3: Actor, the working actors, the working well actors.
Speaker 1: And that's why I always wanted a cast. Who are plenty of great ones who could have done it. I'm just saying, Hey, I'm just I love saying. I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: And that's our episode. Cheryl Hines come back again. I would love to, I will.
Speaker 1: Love Isn't it wonderful, Cheryl that now you'd be in my eyes, you'd be too famous to do the show. We can't have Cheryl Hines. I know it's kind of metal. You're famous from our show.
Speaker 5: Well, that's true because when they first come in to audition, they said that they were looking for unknown actresses.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that's what we thought back then, that's why we upgraded extra us. Larry loved who's just like he believed Chris Williams was crazy, like we had all we had all real rappers except for Chris Williams, and he was obviously great and he always a rapper.
Speaker 3: You no, he's real, you know, he's an actor.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for example, Cheryl, you can no longer do a cameo someone riding in a taxi in a movie. It'll disrect.
Speaker 3: People'll be like, oh, why is Cheryl Hines in the taxi?
Speaker 1: Right, It's not like, oh, that's missus Schwartz from nine scenes that we've been working with.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, all right, Cheryl, thank you, Thanks Cheryl, Well you guys, and Jeff and I will be back next week starting season four.
Speaker 1: Season four Very excited, which is.
Speaker 3: The producers season.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun, a lot of great stories. I have a lot of sharing the Producers season. So by both of you, everybody, and thank you for listening.
Speaker 3: The History of Carby Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio, a Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.