Speaker 1: Corruption. We're living in the greatest hyptocracy. You're in my lifetimes. Someone gets you a billion dollars in crypto, you'r bot period. So the question is where do they go as they get more power than The answer is Elon became a narcissist. This is Gavin Newsom and this is read Offman. Well, welcome, my pleasure to be here the first time in the Governor's match.
Speaker 2: It is not bad, right, yes, bad, and it's you know, it's you know now, I don't know, it's not, but it's you know, we're blessed to be here, but I'm blessed to be here.
Speaker 1: Look how many books you written? Six?
Speaker 2: Six best selling books? Two podcasts one's not enough.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know everyone it was getting to the point where everyone had a podcast, so I had it too.
Speaker 2: To the most you know, I mean you've been You've been around sort of og started a few companies. You're part of this mafia, this mob called PayPal.
Speaker 1: Yes, although I try, you know, everyone likes the mafia kind of thing of it. We didn't do anything criminal. It's PayPal network.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll get to I want to get to you know, do you guys obviously embrace that a little bit. Yes, and you know, we'll also talk about you know, it's kind of broken apart a little bit, the old the pal version of the mafia started this company LinkedIn. Yeah, and you're currently though not maybe for long. We'll talk about that on the Microsoft board. And you've got a number of AI companies that you've started up, and you also have invested seems like everywhere in the AI space, and you're doing.
Speaker 1: A lot of angel investing.
Speaker 2: So all of that and you haven't even turned sixty years old coming up, but not quite.
Speaker 1: It's not quite.
Speaker 2: But I really wanted to get you read to talk about the AI in the broadest sense because we've looked we're just everybody's ringing their hands, the doomers, the gloomers, it's going to take our jobs.
Speaker 1: The anxiety is boiling.
Speaker 2: You're seating and representing polls and just anecdotal feelings. People are angry about data centers. People are furious that their kid who went to Stanford and got this unbelievable degree is not getting as many interviews as mom and dad expected their perfect child to get.
Speaker 1: But you have a different take on all this.
Speaker 2: You're a little bit more optimistic about this.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, first you've got to acknowledge people are in pain having difficulties, right, I mean, and yes, there's difficulties with entry level jobs. And if you listen to the press, including by the way, a bunch of the AI people who make, you know, foolish statements like white collar blood bath and other kinds of things, they go, well, it's AI's fault. And it's like, actually, if you actually look at it thus far, it's not AI's fault. Doesn't mean there won't be an impact from AI and all this stuff and entry level jobs, but the pain that's being felt right now is overhiring from covid is tariffs, you know, screwing our economy and business planning, and when and when all of that kind of stuff happens, businesses go, I'm gonna do no hiring until I figure out what's going on. Right.
Speaker 2: So you're saying some of those big headlines that we saw box and others that somehow suggested or at least added in the press release maybe a number of factors, including AI, and then the mainstream press runs with AI overhyped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well overhyped, but it's a natural reason for a CEO to say that, because if I was like, oh I overhired and I mismanaged, it's my fault. No, No, I'm strong. I'm taking advantage of AI. AI is replacing jobs. I am just being a really good CEO and and and manager of my shareholder capital, which like like CEOs are smart people. Pick reach you one you want dorowy or Dori B. It's like, oh, take door B, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: So what do you make then, of the college graduate and the unemployment rates that legitimately, at least numerically statistically, what's the causation of that? What would you what's the factor that how would you factor AI in that respect? Well, what do you think, more broadly is the reason that those numbers are higher?
Speaker 1: Well, I think what is factually case is that a wide range of businesses are like, we don't know if we should be hiring new entry level people right now. Some of it's like, well, we're doing layoffs because we hired too many people during the pandemic and and and then did this whole remote work thing which is not really working out and refactoring it, and da da da, and then there is oh and uh, and now we've got trade war going on with global tariffs, which are increasing cost to consumers, cost to businesses, costa and so like like, and we got volatility central like, hey, it's July. We're starting a new war, right like you know da. So it's like like in all those cases, what businesses do. The very first thing I do is let's not encour any new expenses. It's let's not hire any new people except the very clear people we need entry levels are usually like, oh, these are people we need five years from now. Well, we don't know we need five years now, so let's not do that. It's also let's not do a new lease. Let's not like it's like, let's let's just chill. So that's the primary driving actual factor. Now that being said, And by the way, there are a few places which are AI related, like for example, the metal layoffs are we need to free up costs for spending on compute and so we're gonna do So it's not that there's zero, it's just that the broad brush you know kind of college grad is not actually in fact yet, Like if it's a percentage from AI, it's like five, it's not you know, it's not thirty or fifty.
Speaker 2: So you talk about I mean some that have used some pretty aggressive language about a white color blood bath, but I mean you And I don't know if Dario said that or not, but I mean it was specifically not surprising on the basis of the question I'll ask, which is obviously he's because of his emphasis and he put on numeric about fifty percent of why collar jobs be eliminated. At least knew why collar jobs in the next well five years, less than five years by twenty thirty. Again, hyperbole from your personspective and your guys. You know you're a fan of Dariayes. I'm a huge fan of Darios.
Speaker 1: And look, Daria frugally gets criticized that he's doing it for like kind of promoting his own technology, and this is how important my technology is. There. No, Daria is very principled, right, He's like, look, I think that there's a real worry here and it's not on like society should be ready. I'm trying to help society figure out getting ready. So I appreciate Dario's principle, his motivation, et cetera. Now, after he said that, I called Daria and I said, look what you said is not heard the way you think it's heard, right, because what people here is, well, if that's going to create a huge blood bath and that's the outcome, why are you building AI so fast? Why are you doing all the stuff? Right? Is it just to make yourself rich? Right? Because what they hear is they hear the Hey, everyone, I have this really great technology that's going to like ruin half of your lives and good for me and sucks to be you. Right, that's what they hear. That's not what you meant to say, but that's what they hear. And so and so I was like, look, I think the I said, Daria, the better thing to say is we're going to have a lot of job transition, and there's a lot of uncertainty of what's going on, and it could have a really quick, massive impact and we should be figuring out what to do on it, right, right? And is that so?
Speaker 2: I mean, you've talked about it in the terms of a cognitive industrial revolution, and you talked about not being poland rather be England take advantage of this, and and that's and you've done that in the context of making the case that we, you know, we should be accelerists, though probably with the notion of a steer.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you're not naive sometimes you slow down on the curve and.
Speaker 2: Slow down on the curve. But vehemently opposed to this sort of precautionary principle framework. This notion of this is you know, we've just got to put a damn pause on this.
Speaker 1: Yes, So so let's start with the pause because it's simple, which is, say you issue a call for a pause, and you have two groups of people, the group of people who pause and the group of people who don't pause. The group people pause and go, oh, I hear you. The humanist stuff really matters and I care, so all pause, and then the people go I don't give a shit and they keep going. So then what kind of AI is built? Right? Not good? It actually has a negative impact. Right. That's the reason why I'm vehemently opposed to like this kind of like pause and kind of things, and say, well, what if we can get everyone to pause, Like, well, what's your plan to get everyone to pause? Including China? And everyone? Look like, is this that all realistic? So my strategy tends to be, how do we keep like you want the good guys to win? E g. The things that are pro like humanist human you know, like you know, the Pope's awesome and cyclical, like you know, kind of like like keeping human beings at the center, keeping a notion of what is a positive to society. By the way positive societies over years. That doesn't mean that there won't be massive transformation, things that will be painful and difficult to get through, but like having a this is how society is better with this as where we're going.
Speaker 2: So when people hear that, I mean the good guys, I mean tech is getting slaughtered in the context of public opinion. People just don't trust anybody. The whole issue of truth and trust, obviously it has been accelerated social media, but now obviously with AI deep fake this deep fake that voice and we can get to even your own interesting avatar in that space. But this notion of trust and you know, someone may be listening to go okay, yeah, read this is easy for you to say, you know, sitting on the Microsoft board and obviously investing in all these places. You got two of your own AI companies, you know, come on, man, So.
Speaker 1: I am not of the view that like frequently what it is is like just trust us, right, like like like you know, it's like, look, we're in a very low trust environment overall, right, low trust of almost every institution, even mixed trust of historically great trust institution doctors and so on. So it's like, so there's an overall thing, so they just trust us. But then you have to say is like, okay, well you have to prove my trust before you do anything. Well, that doesn't really work, and it doesn't work in any of these places, right, So the notion is to say, well, do the things that ultimately are building trust over time, and then when people really investigate, like, ah, you're doing something that's fairly trustworthy. So, like we're talking about Dario, one of the things that Dario did is it said, Okay, we're going to build AI with a kind of a constitution. I actually don't think they should have used that word, but like you know, it could be a it could be a set of principles like you know whatever, you know.
Speaker 2: What if fends you have a constitution, sir.
Speaker 1: Well, I, for one, I am a huge believer in the American constitution, right it is our I'm.
Speaker 2: A little old school like you. I appreciate that we'll get to that a little bit later.
Speaker 1: Look that that is our religion is the constitution, right, so like we stay with that. And it's a little bit of saying, oh, implying that this is a constitution is not really like a constitution is a sacred document for me, so and so and so. The but here's here's how we're gonna build trust is here is the document that is central to all of our training of our eyes. So you can read it, you can come and on to us, you can suggest changes, you can understand where we're going, what we're trying to do. That's the kind of thing that I think you know needs to be there. Transparency. Yes, that's that's the beginning, and.
Speaker 2: That's along the lines. I mean, you and I've had these conversations over the years. In California's regular tour, a framework SP fifty three which we advanced was around this issue of transparency exactly for frontier models, these large language models.
Speaker 1: What about this?
Speaker 2: You know, I think from your perspective, it'd be interesting to hear your perspective about some of those contours. I Mean, we talk about Dario as the you know, the good guy and is in for a lot of folks that's through purely political lens because of some of the issues he had with p Hexic and the Department of War issues around Mythos, which I'm interested in your take on Mythos and the fact that he pulled that back what that means or what that suggests. But it also has the origin story that played out very publicly with Sam Altman, with Elon Musk. All those origin stories of which you had a front seat, sir, front.
Speaker 1: Seat, front seat, and participation on someone.
Speaker 2: An actual board seat is relasd to open AI exactly.
Speaker 1: So look, most of the people creating AI, you know, are like kind of unique human beings. Yes, so you know, and part of it because by the way, geniuses frequently are right and so and usually you know, with folks who like it's pretty easy to attack anybody. I mean, you've had the experience. I've had the experience of it's like an attack by a negative person who is willing to invent shit or build on what is a small thing to make it into a huge thing. Is one of the things that kind of flows its Now I have the you know, the fortune of knowing all of the head like every head of all these labs and so I have a pretty good sense of what their actual moral characters are and what the things are. And many of them are good human beings. That doesn't mean they're perfect, right, but they're good.
Speaker 2: But it's a nice I mean, I want to pause on that because I mean, objectively from your perspective, many are good human beings. Yes, because they've been I mean, these guys really have been vilified across the spectrum. Yes, and you know, and perhaps more so even today with the first trillion air being minted, et cetera, and all that issue which.
Speaker 1: I wanted on that I didn't say, all we're good human We'll get to specifically to that human being.
Speaker 2: But this notion that most are good human beings, but they're also trapped by incentives, right, I mean, we're all creatures of incentives. In this notion of the incentive, as you suggest to accelerate at peril. If it's not us, it will be someone else once you rather the American stack in the context of what Jensen talks about in Nvidia, this notion of the American stack with the American values to the extent possible. But what I mean those incentives aren't necessarily even good people for good behavior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so in any incentive system, you will get some good effects on it and some bad effects. No incentive system is only good effects, right right. So so you know, for example, you have an incentive system to try to make more money, Well you try it, like it creates jobs and par activity, but you also do a whole bunch of other things. Like so it's a blend, right, and you get people, you know, uh, selling cigarettes and other kinds of things. So and so I think the incentive system. What you have to do is say, how do we tune the incentive system so that the major incentives mostly align with good outcomes. Now, part of the reason why is you already noted the England versus Poland and the industrial revolution. If we are the society that kind of has called it the primary pole position, and how AI does this next industrial revolution which I think is going to be bigger than the previous industrial revolution? And where this then we can sort out how the economics society works. Like if you say, well we have the massive economic benefit it careers to our society, and like, well it's only these seven companies, Well we're in a society. We can broaden that out. Something you say, well, any any you know company that has you know, profitability above per employee now has an extra tax that's used to pay for all the rest society. And if you own that industry, you can do that. If you don't own that industry, It's a little bit like when people you know, say, hey, I hate these social networks. And by the way, there's some real social network issues. Although I always, to my own defense, you're LinkedIn one.
Speaker 2: Of the few, if not the only, yes, social network that actually had no better I mean right, yeah, I mean kids are doing fine on LinkedIn.
Speaker 1: Yes they're on that, Yes, exactly, like LinkedIn works just fine. So it's doable. But if you said, hey, we ban social works, even ignoring a LinkedIn, questions like, what would you want it to be only Chinese social networks? No, no, you'd rather have the social networks here and have our ability to shape them. Now, of course we need to, there's the political melee around it and all the rest, but you want it to be a US property that you're shaping. And the same thing with AI, And that's part of the reason I'm an accelerationist. It's like one of the things I was saying a couple of years ago, is we want AI to be American intelligence. Right, So it's like like it matters, right, And and that doesn't mean at any cost. Nothing is at any cost, right, Like if you said, well, like it would it would destroy an entire generation of children. That's a horrific Like can we avoid that and still be acceleration at ansorus? I think yes, But it's like, Okay, what are the things we do in order to do that? Now? I do want to wrap back to one of the things before, because I think this is very important given you know, we've seen you know, uh, you know, American college students going, I've I hate AI, right booing, Ye have you given a did you do a commencement? You know, probably smart enough not to do it this year? It needs that, yes, well, because you're showing up to try to offer something to help them, right, Like the usual protest and commandment speech is sleeping you asleep? But what do you mean when do you make it? But it reinforces the anxiety?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, no, and I get it highly educated people that are played by the rule.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I feel I look, I understand, I feel the pain. Right. So, but the question is, and this is why I think it's so important is Look, it is completely legitimate for college graduates to be going, you know, hey, the older generations, the boomers, ceter you really fucked it over for us. We got all this shit going on and this is on your watch and you suck. I get it, and I think it's a legitimate gripe, right, Like, but in crisis, this is the thing I really want the kids to hear, you know, the college kids. Crisis is opportunity. And by the way, you can be the AI generation. You should be using it. You should be going, hey, company X, you need people to help you, like AI aify your company. I can be the person doing it. You shouldn't be trying n opt out. It's a disaster for you, right, And I'm saying it for them. Look, I don't have any steak in. Like the entire current graduating class could all say we refuse to use AI. It makes no difference to me, but it will be terrible for their lives. Right. And so it's like, look, embrace and figure out how to make it useful to you and then have that help amplify your career and life path.
Speaker 2: And you continue to make that point it's about amplification, it's about having a copilot. But this notion back to turbulence, this idea that the transition, So talk about the transition the context. Look, if Dario's over stating the short term, are we understating the long term or is it just you know, modest fits and starts, a scale, scope speed?
Speaker 1: Where are you and all that?
Speaker 2: How do you calibrate all that if you're policy maker sitting in this seat, how do you begin to anticipate where that stress, where that friction, where the real turbulence is going to come.
Speaker 1: Well, some of what I thought you guys did that was really smart with SB fifty three was get data, start monitoring, start asking questions, like because it's like, Okay, what's really happening here? Not Oh I watched her like like some journalist wrote a story about one case, you know, blah blah blah blah. Yeah, that's not the way to do it. That's that's like like the dumbling olk. Oh my god, we should restrict airplane travel because it's unsafe. It's like no, no, no, it's the drive to the airport that's unsafe. The plane is actually so much safer, right per mile per minute. Everything else is like no, the plane is much better. So it's like making policy decisions based on data, and we should be getting the actual data, not the hysteric kind of responses and start there is actually in fact with important. Now that being said, you know, as a rough template, we want to be thinking of, okay AI is this transformative tsunami that's coming and within a small number of years jobs there will be a large number of jobs that will be completely transformed. Some of those jobs will be they're just all done by AI. Some of them will now be clerical jobs. What kind of jobs?
Speaker 2: See, people have their theories of this, and of course anthropic, but it's out literally the pie chart, yes, of what kind of jobs are most likely to be impacted?
Speaker 1: What's your theory of that case? So those pie charts are usually limited in that they say, if the tasks of doing the jobs are only the ones today and that there aren't new tasks, this is what looks like there will be new tasks. Now that being said, For example, I think that there's a relatively small n number of years before a customer service person, a customer calling customer service says please put the A on. It's a lot more helpful, right, because you have a human being trying to follow a robotic script by looking at the screens or yeah, it's going to do that so much better, just like there's rules for human beings, but they're like looking at what's going on with the pattern of AIS and trying to reimagine that's not the bulk customer service jobs. So like that's one. I think there's a lot of like there's a whole classes of sales jobs that I think will be much more AI. And you begin to get to this weird sci fi story where the AI salesperson, the sales agent calls the company AI agent to listen to the AI sales agent, and there's a whole thing that kind of navigates through. It's a whole weird, weird universe that will happen. That will happen, Yeah, en years and not three, maybe ten, like not twenty, right, right, and so and so those will be like kind of swaths of jobs. But here's the thing, and it's that new task thing that was mentioning earlier, which is basically there will no longer be there were very few human jobs that are just humans by themselves. We will all have teams of agents that are working with us and doing But actually, in fact, what you can see from the pattern of already looking at it is you actually get to some pretty incredible increases in performance where the human brings in the things that the AI don't have. And look, one of the questions is will the ais not have those for a long time? Will they get them quickly? We don't know it's all coming right. My bet would be we're very adaptive like this whole like human beings will be replaced and we'll have our cognitive faculties. Goes all the way back to the printing press and writing. Like I actually think there's areas of where we make good judgment, Like people say, oh my god, look at look at cloud code, like there's no need for engineers anymore. We'll actually talk to a whole bunch of people who use cloud code. And I've used it myself intensively, and I've I've used codex and open ai, and I've used Microsoft Copilot. And by the way, some of it is just amazing, like amazing, Like if you had told me, like you would asked me even like say five eight years ago, would I be seeing this? I said, no, no, no, no, that's not like yet They're like, yes, here it is. That's amazing. On the other hand, it breaks on weird shit, right, And so part of the human thing is like orchestration. It's like, okay, like, for example, how how does coding work at open AI. Well, they have a big screen and they have multiple agents working, and they're like, oh, oh that one's stuck. We got to get that one unstuck, right, da okay this, and and it makes them hugely more productive. Now if you thought, well, it makes them huge alial productive. They're just doing all the work. We don't need anyone else doing all the work. It's like, look, there's infinite work. It's like, now maybe there will be say, for example, tech companies may more naturally be at you know, call it fifty percent of the current engineering crew. That doesn't mean that those engineers. It's like other engineering firms start more competitors, etcetera, etcetera. It's just the producttivity of how you operate. It's like the humans aren't replaced in all cases by AI. They're replaced by humans using AI, and so you want to be the humans using AI. And then this gets back to I think this is a central point, is like, well, what's the thing you should be thinking about? Is one is monitoring, and then the other one is how do we help AI be part of the solution. Because the thing that's driving it at scale and speed is AI. We need solutions that work on the same capability set. So, for example, okay, how do I help AI? How do I have AI helping people make job transitions? I want to be seeing that, right, So you're like, one of the things you could do right here at the mansion is you could say, hey, great, you know, California is the center of the AI revolution in the world. It's part of the reason why fifty three mattered. Hey, I want you guys to all come by and tell me about how AI could be useful in helping people all ranges. I want to hear about blue collar, white collar, multiple industries. How does that help those people you know, find the right work, do the right work, you know, have pride in their work. I just we're going to have a we're gonna have a day here in the mansion. You're going to come talk to us about it because I want to hear you thinking about it, right Because by the way, ultimately if you're not delivering on this, then I have to apply more pressure because, like, my responsibility is to the citizens of the state. And look, I'm very happy that we have the AI revolution and the economics flowing in from that and all the rest. But I care about all my citizens, So tell me what you can do for them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I mean there's notion of using AI the thing that has displaced that worker, to help find and place that worker in a new opportunity, a new career that's not quote unquote just training per se and the old sort of Black and White movie community college construct.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I want to if I could, I want to. I want to get back.
Speaker 2: There's so many areas on computing issues, limited limiting issues in that space, and what's going on with data centers, et cetera, and where we are in terms of the competitive landscape.
Speaker 1: But you, I was I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: You you were at Stanford back in the talk about Black and White movie. Wasn't that It wasn't just a couple of years ago, but way back when, and you were studying what was simplistic solutions?
Speaker 1: What the hell is this symbolic system? Yeah, what the hell is this? Well, it's artificial intelligence.
Speaker 2: So so I was part of you as an undergraduate and an AI degree. You had an AI degree, Yes, when no one had ever heard of this nonsense, Well not no one, when most of folks ever.
Speaker 1: Heard of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, even though we started realizing we all had it and we've all been using it for decades. But there's notion of jen ai the thing that we kind of conflained.
Speaker 1: That was what was new.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so you so it was it just a natural inkland? I mean, did you see the future then? I mean, was it just a major that started to present itself? No one else was in the class, and you figure.
Speaker 1: It out, get in, get an a in this one. The No, it was so what people assume people in my kind of role, and many many people in my kind of role are fascinated by technology. I'm not. I'm fascinated by human beings, okay, right, And so what I was interested in was human thought and human language, and so how do we understand ourselves, how do we insenter each other, how do we communicate? How do we get to a better understanding talking to each other? Etcetera, etcetera. And that was what most interested me, And so like I looked at you know, do I do anthropology or psychology? Like I was looking at the whole range. But I was like, what's the thing that in doing this I could actually make the most interesting things. I've always had a belief that we evolve ourselves through technology, like this is a you know, these glasses, these are a piece of technology, this podcast, and that's actually how we evolve our state as human beings and who we are and so on. Right, And so I was like, Okay, this AI thing, that's interesting, right, so I'll go do that, and I did it some Olcays is a multidisciplinary major, so it included psychology, included linguistics, included philosophy, so you know, did all of that as a part of it. And he went to Oxford and got it. Philosophies, yes, because well what I concluded at Stanford was none of us understood what thinking I'm speaking was, right, So here we are trying to build AI and we have no sense of what that is. Maybe philosophers did. Went to Oxford included philosophers didn't.
Speaker 2: Either, And so give me, I mean, this is what year where you're studying this stuff?
Speaker 1: Roughly nineteen eighty five, to nineteen ninety three ninety three in that both Oxford and the and so AI as we know it today.
Speaker 2: In the context of the vernacular of this sort of notion of gen ai et cetera, I mean, the origin story, they tend to lazily go back. It's sort of like the beginning of biotech maybe seventy nine with genen tech or something. There's a lazy punitrard that. But is that punitry accurate to suggest somehow in the mind's deep minds of Google that sort of the origin stories started to take shape early twenty thirteen fourteen, range, How would you describe what we are addressing or dealing with today in the context of that origin story? Where did it really begin at a scale that we're now more accustomed to.
Speaker 1: Well, so, by the way, like many technological revolutions, including modern ones, there have been multiple like oh, in five years we'll be having AI and invent new science, and that goes all the way back to the eighties, goes back to the eightiesies. Yeah, so here we are. We're there because what happens is some achievement happens and then people go aha, So like we beat human grand master at chess. Yeah, that was the hard problem. And now it'll be inventing physics and you're like not so much and so like cycling through it. And that was actually part of my conclusion in Stanford was like, no, none of these technologies, none of these current technolical approaches will work. So what's the thing that got me back in AI was a three hour meeting with demsisabas Uh, the CEO and co founder of deep Mind. And what I realized that he had that he had like he is the I think the the he and his co founder is the original kickoff.
Speaker 2: Of the deep And it's not I mean again, it's not Microsoft, it's not Anthropical AI, it's not SpaceX as well. I mean it's that's the I mean, if you really want to start to understand in luck and understanding.
Speaker 1: And what Demis realized was we have scale compute, and with scale compute we can create scale intelligence. Now, his original idea has been less of the important thing, which is self play. So it had pong and go and it plays against each other. But the answer was we can apply a lot of compute to evolve a competent machine, a with cognitive capabilities and I was like, you're right. We now have scale compute and what's more, we have scale data and we have scale engagement, you know, through internet and mobile. The revolution, a revolution, a massive revolution is here now. Did I know when I walked out of that meeting, you know, and at you know, King's Cross that I was like, Oh, actually it won't be the self play. It will actually be these these things called transformers, these large language models that read the trillion and a half words on the Internet and use that as a learning basis to create something. No, I didn't know that well, I didn't know is this is now a revolution? And so I was like, okay, how do I help? And you know, for me, I'm not adverse to doing stuff commercially. Obviously I've done a whole bunch of stuff commercially. But for me, I look across the whole spectrum. I go, Okay, what's the stuff that I should do as a founder, as investor, What's the stuff that I should do as a content provider and author? What's the stuff that I should do talking to you know, people who care about society like you and others? And what to do? Like, how do I go from you know, humanity society, industry. And that's the order of which I care about them, right, Humanity first, society second industry third industry can be very useful for society and humanity. But you like part of the like when we were talking about that earlier steering and shaping, well, we want to steer and shape industry to go. It should be on average massively positive for society over time, right. And if that's not, the director in it needs to be fixed right now over time, not this year necessarily right, right, there's always costs of transformation and all the rest now and so I went, that's the revolution we're in. And so for me, I think that's twenty thirteen or twenty fourteen, right, And it's and that's why when like Sam called me and said, hey, I'm thinking of pulling this thing together with you know, for AI for humanity, will you help, the answer is yes. It was one of the things where I had just gotten my partners at Greylock really focused on crypto, and I was like, oh, I'm gonna stop doing this crypto thing because this AI thing is coming. And they're like, what AI thing. I'm like, Oh, it's coming. And and actually, you know, I think you know, I think my partner is at Greylock were the first venture partnership that saw GBT four because I got Sam's permission, I was on the board of open AI to say, hey, come in and demo this and and and show this because there was there was a six month period where GBD four was not public because we're like, oh is it safe enough and all the rest, and you know, they were doing it. I was like, okay, look, I think it's safe enough. Is it okay to show the partnership? And Sam's like, yeah, yeah, this this since you're serving on a five one C three board of open AI trying to do this, this is the least we could do. Yes, you could go show them you know what's coming.
Speaker 2: Goal there's or there's some interesting I I and I don't you know, I don't want to get in a gossip, but I think it's interesting because it's instructive to a lot of people, and it's also I think connects a lot of your own personal relationships and dots. So you you know, you were notoriously, as we were alluding to earlier, part of the Payfoul mafia, and those are the brand names today and Elon Musk obviously, Peter Thiele, David Sachs, less of a brand name, but increasingly trying to be one in terms of association with the Trump administration. Musk allegedly and Larry Page, co founder of Google, had a conversation that, as at least Musk's telling goes, Musk was concerned that Larry wasn't taking this jen Ai seriously enough in terms of its downside risks, and decided to go off on his own, made the same contacts you made with Sam Altman and others, uh, and went down this path of a five oh one c three and tried to birth open ai.
Speaker 1: Is that reasonably accurate? That is reasonably accurate. I think it was a conversation. I think it was. You know, Larry was kind of saying, was you know, you know it's probably too simplistic, but you know, kind of articularly a transhumanist perspective to Elon that you know naturally freaks someone out because the rational response to that is that it's almost strange, right and so and so it got very concerned about it. Now, you know, in Elon's case in particular, it's the you know, Elon has the definition of a Messiah complex. So it's like, no, no, I have to be the one building AI, not anyone else. So yeah, there's the there's a little bit of the I'm worried about it generally, but it's also the I'm worried it's you not me. Uh.
Speaker 2: I think that's sort of proven itself a little bit, this turn of notion of going back. Even when you said the glasses, which is interesting technology I can see better if you've been aiding and a better and as a human that technology it's not just you know ones and zeros, yes, though you know now the now they're becoming one zero asth meta uh and others I think, and now Apple's coming out with their own version. But what this this notion of technology trends? I mean you reminded when what what what allegedly Larry said to Elon that freaked Elon out is what guys like Peter Teal couldn't even answer. You know, I think it was a seventeen second pause in an interview about you know, human beings and technology. But when you yeah, you sort of invited that in with the glasses, I mean, what what is all that?
Speaker 1: I mean for folks that may not be.
Speaker 2: Familiar with some of this, but maybe familiar with the anxiety that some of these conversations have induced. More broadly, what is the suggestion is this? Are we just all in a simulation or something?
Speaker 1: Is that the point?
Speaker 2: There's that kind of there's a cast of few of those conversations of them. Yes, It's like it's like like, actually, I was sitting with two of my friends at the time. Elon was one of them. Yes, right, I won't like and they're like, oh, yeah, everyone smart I know is living in a simulation. And I was like, am I smart? And they're like yes.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, then not everyone.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't I remember the origin that we had second life, we had some of these virtual realities. Maybe they were alluding to a version of playing around with that, but they mean quite literally, we're in a simulation.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so I think simulation is the kind of classic theory that gets people to like the kind of Christian theory of intelligent design about how we get created or the Firman s parad I was like, we have questions we don't know the answers to therefore, right simulation and you're like, no, no, we have questions we don't answers to stop, like, we will try to figure out the answers of those questions. Like the simulation theory stuff is like, sure, there's unknowns, like, for example, the classic one that you usually used to argue with this is we don't have signals that there's other intelligent universe in life, in the universe and so you know, like with radio waves and statistics and all the rest, we should have that. Well, okay, that's an interesting puzzle. That's an interesting question. Why do we not have that? And but like and therefore we're in a simulation is like, that's a lot of cognitive theoretical infrastructure to explain this in a similar like like the hey, we have an unknown about the complexity about how human brains evolved and what the intermediate steps looked like, Well, therefore there must be a creator. Well there's a lot of it's an unknown and by the way, therefore them must be a creator. And therefore, by the way, the creator must be my religion, not any of the other twenties. Like it's like what like it's like, no, no pause on the mystery, right, and then go, okay, we have an unknown answer, So there's a whole bunch of craziness. But I think coming back to the first part of your question, I think is very important because I think this. I've been giving some speeches in Italy, like I gave one a Bologna and Perusia because I wanted Silicon Valley to remember some of the important humanist nature of the Renaissance, which is, what is it to really be a humanist when you're thinking about this technology? And it's not just self declaration I am humanist? Like no, that that that's nice, it's better than I'm not right, But it's like, well, what is it to be humanist to say, Look, I have a theory about why the work I'm doing will cause a much better result for call it at least eighty percent of humanity. Then the next thing is, and I'm transparent about it, I'm talking about it. I'm giving you a chance to critique me, dialogue with me, et cetera, et cetera. And then this is a super important thing is I'm not like a narcissist about it. I don't come to my theory of humanity because I go, well, this's good for me, right, or or I'm the most genius person in the world. Everyone else's theory of humanity is bad. Mine is the good one. But you know, engage in dialogue, get critique, understand kind of what's going on for this. That's what being a humanist for technology is right, and we have some right great. Doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes Dario sam et cetera. But they're they're actually, in fact, they are committed. And you can tell they're committed because they do things that are not in their own economic self interest and they invest in it in order to try to make it work. Doesn't mean they're perfect, doesn't. I mean it's not worth speaking up and say, hey, do X do also more of X or less of why? Perfectly good thing to do. It's part of the reason why we have the dialogue about it, to say, hey, the way that we try to make decisions about because because your answers, these technologies will build by small groups of people right and will have humanity level impact. And you're like, okay, you can't then say hey, we're gonna have a un global voting day. That's not the way it's gonna work. So the dialogue and bringing up the concerns about what it is is that iteration is the way that we get to being more broadly humanist.
Speaker 2: What are the great anxieties? And you triggered it this notion that it's a handful of people. Yeah, and you know, we talked about the American version and least having a chance at regulating something within our quote unquote jurisdiction. But regulatory capture is real. Yeah, just massive obscene off the charts. Wealth comes with massive obscene influence to write the rules of regulations to and the incumbency protection racket, So lock everything out and lock everybody out to buy politicians. Yes, I mean, so how does that play in? I mean, that certainly plays it. That is playing into people's anxiety in a profound and outsized way.
Speaker 1: How do we address both? And so when you have a kind of a tsunami like this, and this is to some degree talking to you, talking to the Dems on this, who tend to be the oh fight all the wealthy power, and you're like, you need capital on your side too, right, politically right, So have that as a good theory of the game. So the issue is say, and like for example, and I'll come back to AI, but this is like the mistake the dems made with crypto, which is like, there's a huge amount crypto wealth. If we just go attack it and go, hey, we're just going to try to kill all of you. The go you're trying to kill us. Okay, we're going to vote the other way with not just our votes but our dollars and all the rest. And it's like, okay, that's really painful and causes a whole bunch of bad outcomes for society. So again you go, well, how do we shape it. It's like, look, we're not trying to like extinguish all of you. We're trying to make sure that crypto has the right positive function in society. And they say, well, I can't envision anything. It's like, well, I come call me. I can envision things. Right, there's payments, there's much cheaper banking systems, there's all kinds of things. Let's just shape it that direction. Yeah, I get it. You don't like because who does like terrorist ransom coin? Right, like like you know, like there's a bunch of bad shit we should do bad shit about that, Or the question of well it's this random speculation. It's like, well, look, we do allow betting in various ways, let's try to contain it and make sure it's not too bad. You know, same reason why we go. You know, alcohol has a bunch of bad outcomes, but it's better for society if we go. Sure, it's okay if when you get to age you drink, don't drive. But it's like that kind of stuff. You get to shape it right, because there's certain ways. Now you get to AI and you say, all right, an AI wealth generation, and it's like shit, this is creating a massive amount of economics that will have massive impact politically. And by the way, what shared across all this economics is a interest in not having the economics of the AI industry like trimmed, right. And by the way, some of that trimming is a terrible idea, which is let's just reduce our own American wealth. Some of it, like taxation for helping the rest of society, can be a good idea. Right. So it's and you know, getting it right is hard, but I think it's doable. And it's like, well, then you go to, well, who are the people who would be with me on, hey, we should tax AI in some good ways, robot tax whatever else, and I'll make it happen. What are the ways we do that? So we take off some of the AI wealth that fights on our side for helping society, and we fight against the other AI wealth that's like no, no, no, I should take my trillion dollars and be able to do whatever the hell I want. So easier said than done.
Speaker 2: I mean, this gets too And we talk about that turbulence, and we talk about the transition and using your vernacular, and there's a lot of conversations about all right, if this does have a more pronounced impact sooner than we anticipated, and we don't have the answer to what to do about that, and we don't have the AI solution to address the AI problem in terms of that transition, this notion of universic basic income versus universic basic capital, this notion of equity, this notion of ownership broadly shared so that we can address some of that anxiety. We all have a mistake in the game. You tend to be on the UBC yes side of this equation. But the question I have for you is not where you are on that simple question the binary, at least in that context, which is hardly the binary. But the question I posed is how the hell you do it.
Speaker 1: Who's going to do it?
Speaker 2: You think Sam's gonna he says two and a half percent. You know what, they're about to go public. We've we've called fort in California. Why doesn't he do it here in California. Let's well, happily take two and a half percent a year in this his home state that helped birth this damn industry. I think he's going to pick up the phone after hearing this.
Speaker 1: Uh he might. I'm like, Sam cares about the stuff.
Speaker 2: To his credit, he put out exactly and to his credit, yes he put that out.
Speaker 1: Yes, he put that out. He's been running universal basic income experiments, funding it himself in Oakland. Like like like he's here's the moment. Yeah, so this is the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all these I pos coming, Dario, here's the moment.
Speaker 1: Yes. No, So like I think he do a great called ass right now. I actually believe of all of the open Ai folks and all of the Tropic folks, they're very philanthropically minded.
Speaker 2: So I think like the foundation, I mean, objectively, you can you can dismiss these I get the populist these guys, but they did put a foundation with the largest in the world yes, exactly. That they set up exists, yes, and has tens a bit over one hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 1: Today, Yes, exactly, and so and what I think is unlike, for example, take the Open AI Foundation. I don't think they're going to be sitting on their hands, right. And I actually think one of the things that you know you should do, and I think California should do, you know, uh it should be, is hey, you guys, uh, you know, we're only possible because of California, right, Like we provided the platform by which you guys could do this, could you guys, you know, disproportionately focused on helping our state and doing stuff we'd love to talk?
Speaker 2: You supposed to take your capital gaze to Texas, Yes, Texas, Florida, et cetera.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, like you couldn't have made this without us, correct, so in fact, so please contribute back, right or contribute back without the police. Yes, we're grateful for the job creation of the innovation. We're grateful for all the energy and daring.
Speaker 2: We're very very proud of your success and and please yes and time, yes, yes, right, because like for example, you know, space had forward impossible without this state, yea Tesla exists without the regulations.
Speaker 1: Impossible period without this state. Thank you, right, So it's like.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Elan, and thank you for your innovation and daring as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, extremely importantly, I'm pretty sure you're gonna ask me a question where I'm about to dump on you lot, but for a good reason. But this is amazing for me to have to ask. Yes. But why isn't I mean, so let's you open that door. Why doesn't he feel this way? I mean, honestly, well, because me, what what? What? What is it?
Speaker 2: You know? I remember there was a different guy though I was with someone the other day. I said, no, he was always this guy and I said, well, you didn't or that way in the fifteen interactions I had, you know him better than anybody.
Speaker 1: So the people are a dynamic. So the question is where do they go as they get more power, more sycophants around them, and so forth. And the answer is Elon became a narcissist to who he wasn't a narcissist. I think he was a small narcissist and now he's a big narcissist, right, and like he lies through his teeth constantly. I don't know if he if he tells him self stories about it, like and it basically like the like like the whole pitiful open AI lawsuit, it was pathetic and courts agreed. Yes, well, and it's pathetic written out large for everyone to see. Yeah, that too, right now, It's like it's a court of law with with truth in like documents, depositions, et cetera. It's just pathetic. It's like the no, no, no, Like I'm trying to do anything possible to argue that you guys are wrong and I was right, and it's like, no, they were right and you were wrong.
Speaker 2: But it's just I mean, so it just I mean, I guess, I mean, it's just a classic clinical definition of narcissism.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and like, for example, he goes I like, for example, he helps found open ai as like we need to have AI for the benefit of humanity, not just Google, okay, and he goes, oh, should I should have my own? So he gets XAI started, and in a desperate bid for market share, he's like, oh, yeah, that's fine. If we create a whole bunch of like pornographic images, some of which your children, your journalists have been reporting on this et cetera. And that's because it's more important that I have this AI thing than this damage that we're doing to children and all the rest of stuff. It's like, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So do I mean, by the way, just I mean accelerating and fast forward. I mean space space X is a pretty remarkable company on the basis of the facts and evidence starlink in particular from a sort of cash flow perspective, an ROI perspective.
Speaker 1: And a goodness for society.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the way, I've seen that firsthand in the middle of the Amazon, which actually really inspired and surprised me to be that, in fact universally awkwardly connected in the middle of the rainforest, even more so than frankly out here in the Silicon Valley. But I'm curious, just you know, with regardless SpaceX in the IPO, I mean, there's other component parts of that that are a little more dubious and questionable. There are folks out there, deeply more cynical than I am that just call it a dam Ponzi scheme period full stop.
Speaker 1: Where you are on then, for example, yes, look, so I'm a small investor, but I think it's nuts, right, It's I mean, it's like look, for example, you look at the they just look at the pspectus. And the biggest part of it is payments from Anthropic for these data centers that are horrific for the environment, are badly set up in their networking equipment. That nominally, he's trying to restart XAI for the third time by Cursor to go somewhere.
Speaker 2: By sixty billion dollars sanan Scho based company that five years ago didn't exist.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's like okay, and I'm glad he's buying Cursor, you know, great, hopefully something will come of it.
Speaker 2: What are they vibe? What is vibe coding? Sorry to go down that rabbitries, but it's a vibe coding company.
Speaker 1: Well, it's one of the early revolutionis of how do you have AI accelerate your coding? And Vibe coding is a part of that. It's not the whole thing. It's like, you know, like basically, anyone who is coding who's not using AI right now or not. Everyone called it ninety plus percent. If you're coding and not using AI, you're making mistake, right, so and and it's only getting better, right and both Claude codex. Uh sorry, claud code open a codex. I think Microsoft Copilot. I think we'll have a good entry here are all, you know, I think the fundamental way has changed the entire world in terms of how we operate. So and dropics willing to buy the revenue, but like that is your primary revenue thing in the thing that you're going public on, like this is in the government. Yes, well, and then you're like, oh, the dj is saying they've got to drop the lawsuit because this is part of our national scurity defense, Like well, that's none of that's in their perspectives. And by the way, the entire XAI thing, Elon himself said it's a complete train wreck. We're rebuilding it. I was like, well, you know, if you had like honor integrity, you'd say, well, we'll hand back those government contracts because we just said our product was a complete train wreck. Right. It's like, you know, so just it's all corruption, I.
Speaker 2: Mean corruption, Yeah, I mean you just call it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, call what it is. Call it what it is. Yeah, we're living in the in the in the greatest kleptocracy of your.
Speaker 2: In my lifetimes, and it's I want to circle back on that stay tuned for those that are tuning in on that, because.
Speaker 1: That deserves some attention.
Speaker 2: But as we sort of bounce back and forth the anthropic data center point you made in this notion of compute, and you made the point the biggest limiting factor in terms of the acceleration is less. The chips is important and profound as they are, it's really about the compute. And so it gets to the question of data centers and all the anxiety and data centers which has actually been sort of a leading indicator of one of the reasons people have such animis towards AI because they connect the dots. And there's been a few studies DC Maryland that's sixty percent of the growth of those retail or rather residential utility bills have been attached to the issue of data or growth.
Speaker 1: So where are you and all that?
Speaker 2: I know you've said we blamed AI for everything. So the issue of utility costs which have been growing yep, separate from AI, certainly haven't been benefited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not benefiting centers. Look, I think that the clear thing for you and other folks to do is say, look, we want to enable data centers that are very positive contributors to communities. So, for example, very easy one is to say, hey, if you're building a massive data center, you have to provision power at like one hundred and thirty percent, right, and that thirty percent is that's amongst the things that you're contributing back, right and so so. And by the way, who should benefit from that, Well, the local residents who should have a choice whether they want that or not. Their powerbells go down right as part of that.
Speaker 2: I mean the irony is the data centers are getting subsidies on their bills and we're socializing an increase on everybody else's.
Speaker 1: No, and so what it should be is that you should contribute. Look, we will help you because, by the way, knowing from the inside Microsoft board and other things they care about, here, you are walking conflict. Yeah I don't know, but that's a conflict, but information informed. Look what do these hyperscalers care about. They care about reliability, ability to construct the thing, ability to deploy it, ability to manage it the right way, et cetera. Look, if you said you have to have like your cost structural increase because you have to have a one hundred and thirty percent contribution for the power stuff. They would sign that deal in a heartbeat if you gave the like if you you said hey, and and by the way, they do more. It's like, well, what are you going to do for local community in terms of jobs? Right, we want we want to see something serious here. Look, it's a simple kind of like like simple set of asks.
Speaker 2: And in the absence of that, they'll take what you're giving because it's of course tasting for these things.
Speaker 1: I think it's twenty five percent of all their base load.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, it's data centers, which is off the charts insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so you should it should be an ask for we will help you do this stuff. These are the things you need to do. And by the way, if someone else give you a better deal, fine, go with this someone else.
Speaker 2: This notion of jobs though, I mean, the construction jobs are legit and we should celebrate that. And these are good high paying jobs and and and careers, and people bounce around even they're temporary and get the benefit of that. But there are not a lot of jobs on the permanent side of this.
Speaker 1: No, although, for example, when you're going to hyperscalers, let's take Microsoft. The thing I would ask if I was a local areas, I'd say, I want you to open up a Microsoft office here. Now you're talking, just open up a Microsoft office.
Speaker 2: We need to be better Dan negotiators, yes, whereas I mean we just yeah, okay, I mean I'm having a hard time arguing with these these deeper points. What about this notion of these things being what is it's the g don't last very long, right, just a few years?
Speaker 1: Well, because the next ones are so much better.
Speaker 2: Right, So is this I mean back to froth even KKR big promoter in the future, I mean saying a little froth here, Sam said, bubble Mark, you know all these guys, I mean, you know, the.
Speaker 1: Zucker Birds of the world.
Speaker 2: You're like, ah, yeah, I mean so this knows where are you in the bubble on the sort of frothy bubble, so of this and the capex in this.
Speaker 1: Space and that the ROI is you.
Speaker 2: Know or is it? It's electricity to you?
Speaker 1: So I think it's ultimately electricity where we're getting intelligence at the cost and scale of electricity, and that's just great. And so for example, it's one of the reasons why a lot of the challenges are just wrong. Like they said, well you know, uh, you know, climate impact, and you're like, well, actually, let's just make sure that AI is applying something to grid analysis and power running. And so then as you say, hey, if all of a sudden, all of the h facts and laundry machines and all the rest were intelligent devices that ran when it was cheap on the grid and all the rest and was doing power management net very positive benefit. And we've already seen Google do that with their own data centers and all the rest. Like, it's a whole bunch of stuff there, And I think the same thing in terms of ultimately that doesn't mean that there won't be some things that are Ponzi schemes and some things that are major economic losses. But a bubble is oh, this isn't sustainable. It all just kind of falls down and it has domino effects other things. The short answer is, like nthropics revenue is limited by its compute. It has more demand that it can provide right now, and so that like this isn't like oh, no one wants this. It's no, no, This intelligence at the scale and cost of electricity is massively useful, massively wanted. So doesn't mean you say well, maybe we built that data center for fifty billion and action ends up being worth forty billion, and we've got some operating losses, but by the way in operating it, it operates profitably and all the rest, and we just have to take a charge down. That's not a bubble, that's volatility in a market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you make of a market which is so fierce in the competition this notion, that of super intelligence, this race to this holy grail and then a nanosecond I shut every competitor down.
Speaker 1: I quite literally talk about the Messiah complex. I own the world in my palm of my hand, maybe literally.
Speaker 2: That a company like Google and Gemini are uniquely positioned against an anthropic, against open ai and others just on the token question that they can sort of do what companies Amazon infamously many other companies do, and that's just gut their competition and price them out by lowering the cost below their actual cost and have tokens as lost leaders until they bleed out their competition.
Speaker 1: Well, they definitely are the cheapest price tokens of the major stuff today and it's not having that much of an impact. Interesting, right, so right, So it isn't that to say it's an it's a not an issue to pay attention to. But like for example, when people kind of check token costs across call it. You know, you know open Ai and Thropic and Google. Google's by far and away the cheapest, but the heat and usage is still an open eye and and and Anthropic and by the way, within the enterprise context Microsoft, right and so, so yes, that's a worry, but it's not really playing out that way now. Some of it is you know, for example, you know Google missed the curve on the code agent thing, right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some of it's you know, kind of other things Google. And look, I'll just so it just doesn't look like I'm Microsoft, you know, dumping on Google. Like Google missed a bunch of different productization things, so did Microsoft. Right. So, so it's like, you know, there's a bunch of stuff there, and so did open Ai. I mean, is there investing in Sora? Yes? First, you know, and I what is it? What was it? Banana something? I like it? No banana? Google? Uh?
Speaker 2: Meanwhile Anthropic sort of plug it along?
Speaker 1: Yeah no, No, last year and this year you're of entropic, right, right? What happened with mythos what did it mean to you? It?
Speaker 2: Was it overhyped? Was it a Dario once again? Doomskall?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Here I was? I mean, is it you know?
Speaker 2: Was it just the friction of just anyone's sort of pushing back against Petex's and Trump and so they need to be banished? Is it Elon making the calls in this competition in sex saying we want these sont bitch shut down?
Speaker 1: What is what does mythos represent to you? So mythos is I think both real and overhyped. Right, it's a weird. I don't think I've ever said that sentence before. And it's real because they tuned they had a coating sharp lead, they tuned it to cyber. That was a genius and genius for both. And they did the responsible thing of saying, hey, let's try to allow a bunch of different places, which your critical infrastructure, which are both within the kind of public sphere and also private shere banking, et cetera. Let's make sure that all of that is hardened early before this stuff is and we're doing a very responsible role out for all that. And that's the real And then the overhyped is you know, like you know it would be the end of the you know, it would just be catastrophe if it came out. And you're like, yeah, I don't think it's quite that. I just think it's like more train wrecks, right, Like, there would be some real costs, but I don't think it would be the you know, end of civilization or anything else. Now, what I think that happened is because you know, in thropics trying to be responsible, uh we as far as I understand from the outside looking at the administration, there's a lot of different people jockeying for control and the AI sphere, there's there's there's people who are like, oh, we hate all tech, we hate big tech. Let's just close all this AI stuff down. That's like banning, et cetera. There's people who are like, oh, this is a commercial thing, I should own it. It's like best end, et cetera. There's you know, sacks going there should be no controls here. The only way that AI becomes American intelligence is there's zero control, you know. And so like there's a melee within the UH, within the White House to which tends to really only the factions that tend to ultimately win is you know, is there a big payoff for someone in the clyptocracy, right, so, I think. And they don't like anthropic because they also like to be that we are the big you know, swinging you know, things right in and we don't like that they're not rolling over and going, you know, yes, sir, you're my master. And they're like, they're principled. And by the way, we live in a country by which uh, you know kind of uh, individuals are citizens, organizations, companies must follow the law. But the law is not I do whatever the fuck you tell me to do, right, it's we follow the law, yes, right, both and yes yes, and so.
Speaker 2: The law, well, we'll get to the role of God later, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: And so so their principle about that, and that's what they were trying to hold up to and what they were doing, and it was like, no, no, you must do what we tell you to do. It's like, no, not necessarily, right, you know. And so so it's like, ah, we have an option to show them whose boss, right, right, You're like, ah, I don't think that's that, by the way, Frankly, I think that's an American We should be celebrating achievements of Americans. Of things that we do and so worth and it's like to say, no, no, you must be following hair leader's commands. Whoever hair leader is, whether it's a you know, uh, you know, uh, left wing version, right wing version, whatever it is, Yes, it's like no, no, no, it's like we follow a rule of law together. There you go.
Speaker 2: So Sam took advantage of this from a competitive perspective at open AI and said, we're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you make of that? I wish you'd called me beforehand. Yes, it was a mistake. It didn't didn't go over well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well so maybe Trump folks did.
Speaker 1: I haven't talked to Sam about this yet, partially because it all happened very quickly, and then I was like, and then it happened at that point showing up and saying I wouldn't have done this. It's like not very constructive and helpful, you know. I undoubtedly part of what Sam's trying to say. Look, if the if the good principled people like you know, anthropic and open ay bowed, then it's only left to the unprincipled people like XAI. I get it. It's a challenge issue. It's not straightforward, okay, but this would be a would have been a very good chance to say no, no, all of us principled companies should stand together and we should sort this of it all together, right, And so we're like, we're not going to jump in. We also think these principles. And what happened is he quickly deluded himself as like, oh, this is solvable technically. It's like, no, the Anthropic people are good technically too. There's from Open AI, and he was oh, shit, that doesn't work. Yeah. Yeah, that's the reason why Anthropic was going, We're not going to do it this way, right, And so it's like and you know, the part of what happens is the competition gets so ferocious that it's like the ah, I'm just communien. It's like, no, no, there are some places you put the competition aside, and when it's humanity and society, you put the competition aside.
Speaker 2: What they're not putting aside at Open AI is this notion of AI.
Speaker 1: Into the physical space.
Speaker 2: They're actually trying to lean into that partnerships with Johnny and others, and that gets even to what Elon's doing and Dexterity robots. The robots are coming physical AI we're seeing it manifest and you know, driverless cars, driverless planes, or flightless planes or pilotless planes shortly or at least flying cars in the vernacular of the Jetsons, which is interesting.
Speaker 1: They're doing a reboot of the Jetsons. Seems to make some sense in this world they were living. But what is that? I suspect it'll be a little bit more mixed than the Jetsons, just in the current cultural context.
Speaker 2: I suggest you're right, or believe you're right. So what is the physical AI? I mean, we could talk about robots as a separate thing, but what do you think what I mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: What do you think where Sam's going with with open AI and the partners.
Speaker 1: With Johnny Ivy and others.
Speaker 2: In terms of designing some reedy revolutionary there's sort of an Apple esque, you know, Steve Jobs, Johnny sort of. This is, you know, imagining the future without the constraints of what you already know a race or mania, forget what you already know, design a project, a product for the for the AI agent. It's not constrained by the thinking of the past.
Speaker 1: So just like within a small number of years, none of us will be doing anything that's like knowledge or information work without having multiple AI agents that we are managing a workflow and so doing and that's small and five maybe right, Like you know, there's no longer such a thing as a human individual contributor. There's a human manager of agents maybe working on a team with other humans managing agents and all the rest and all the you know, and there's what's happening. That's an amazing transformation. There will be within a small number of years some amazing AI bringing into the work into a workplace. Will it be the kind of Johnny you know, reimagination of the phone, et cetera kind of thing. Will it be the rebirth of manufacturing in America through robotics and all the rest. Will it be autonomous vehicles which you know we'll call will bring enormous like health savings, you know, deaths, other kinds of things enormous. And by the way, there's obviously job transitions. Although by the way, like we're short a lot of truck drivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is remarkably because it hasn't come yet.
Speaker 1: It's scale. It's coming, right, yes, yeah, But by the way, even if all truck manufacturers started manufacturing only autonomous trucks today, it's at least ten years before there is over half of the trucks in the road, or autonomous drugs. Right. So it's like, so there's even there's an adjustment, right, and so so all the stuff and we want it, right, I get. It's like people say, well, I don't want disruption, I want disruption of what I.
Speaker 2: Want robots, I want my humanoid Robut I do, yes, actually.
Speaker 1: You do, right. It doesn't mean you want every different version of them, right, but like, for example, like take autonomous vehicles, like like, we have over forty thousand deaths per year. That doesn't count injuries, maiming, et cetera, et cetera, Right, Like that's a cost in human lives. What's more, you go, well, you care about environment? Well, if you can actually in fact have the grid manage all the more efficiently massive environmental impact, right, so you want all that And it's like yes, And by the way, you say, well, what happens the truck driver jobs? Like, well, one, not a lot of people doing them. They hate the fucking jobs. And then two, yes, the central thing we should be doing and this age of AI revolution is how do we help figure out large swath of people, like get new kinds of jobs, whether it's entrepreneurial new starts, whether it's things that we're doing with society, whether it's like all of that stuff. We need to lean in heavily too, because the jobs will be changing. And most people say, legitimately, I like my job. I don't want it to change, and you're like, yeah, it happens, right, and we'll help, right. But that's that's I think how it so much of the focus.
Speaker 2: And you, as you're speaking, got me thinking about in your two AI companies that you've that you've founded, co founded yea, not all those others. I think everyone we've named, you've you've invested in U. We can get to that in a minute, but this so much of our time and energy. I was talking to Ezra Klein about this and back east a week or two ago, and he said, be good to mix in I'm paraphrasing him, and I want to talk out of school some of the good stuff along the lines of what you now are sprinkling in and you're you're investing very directly just in the area that we you know, you talked about twenty thirty years ago. People were focused on the issue of breakthroughs in medicine. Yes, breakthroughs. I mean I can live longer, healthier life. So I mean, where are we Let's talk. Let's now paint a more positive picture of what AI can do for good for society, not just for Elon.
Speaker 1: So he's worth six trillion.
Speaker 2: Dollars by the time my daughter graduates college.
Speaker 1: Exactly, So Manasi. So director Muker ge Ujol Singh and I have co founded and the idea is to create a drug discovery factory with AI. And it's the best shot I think we have seen ever in human history for doing a lot of cancer curing and a bunch of other things too. Because AI, it's like a search problem. Biology is more complicated than all of his other shit. Right, It's like he said, well, you know, there's there's more moves and go than there's atoms in the universe, And yeah, goes a child's simplicity tool relative biology. But now that we've got scale compute, it's like, Okay, what's the thing that is going wrong with leukemia? Can we something that allows us to monitor stuff early, allows us to figure out what might be going wrong and something that might be an easy therapeutic that might be as simple as an injection or a pill. Because you create a small molecule, an antibody, a protein, et cetera, that combined with the you know, kind of the thing that's going wrong and disable the bad thing and not have serious toxic side effects. That's a difficult charch problem. And right now what we have is we have And by the way, I think we'll continue to have genius clinician PhDs researchers doing stuff. I don't think it takes away their job, but we have them like it's like they're doing all the computation by hand and they're trying to be brilliant and figure out something. So like figuring this out takes them a decade to have a maybe I've got I started a decade and I got one maybe right, Well, I can now go all right, here are like I did today's compute, I generated one hundred maybees. Let's sort through which of these things might be worth looking at more, Which are I should earn it more, et cetera, And and and and how do we run that through the entire process by which we do, of course we want to do safety checking and so forth, and is our theory that it is is non toxic. Okay, we've we've included in our in our search and how the air works. But let's test it, right, and let's run through it. Like we should have that because that's part of what makes our medicine system. Like we have the envy of the world in the pre RFK junior FDA, you know, kind of like of of like gold plated medicine. Right, So when the reasons like if you're if if it's accepted here, it's accepted everywhere, right, and and let's let's let's keep our rigorous standards. Maybe we could figure out how to make it more efficient in various ways. I think that's a good thing to do. But and then deliver more medicines. And by the way, this is part of like the AI for humanity. Is if you said, like and you know, I don't know, like what I will categorically assert is AI has the best shot in human history of curing all cancer. Right, Like if we if we can deliver even our percentage of that, right, that's huge.
Speaker 2: Have we though, I mean, we've been saying this for a few years and there's exponent I mean, I feel like AI's exponent. I mean, I know, we're always just right around the corner here, we are just fusions.
Speaker 1: Just a few weeks.
Speaker 2: It's it's like, you know, it's like the Iranians are just you know, they're right there with fusion, fusion a couple of weeks away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever, So where are we? So so at at Mansi we have we have some of the world's brightest computational chemists and some of the chemistry that the AI has been saying, how about this. They're like, that's really interesting, that might work. I've never seen that before, and that gets exciting. Yeah, and we're calling this to move thirty seven off alpha go of we're getting maybe move thirty seven chemistry. Right, So it's a very interesting like it's like, that's interesting, and how do.
Speaker 2: We socialize it? I mean, that was the point Ezrah was making to me. It's one thing again just in the hands of you, sir, God bless you, rather you than these others. But the point being, how does you know it's it's a compute for you know, the UC system and the CSUS and for forty million Americans in California, for three hundred and fifty million Americans for society written large so so it's not about modernization. It's not just about the commercialization in the context of an ROI that is in numeric and I know there's the sort of free enterprise case that that is. You know, we don't even get it at the larger philosophical point.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things I think it's important for everyone to think about is we don't have the AI revolution except through the commercial sector. The capabilities of doing it in any other sector than the commercial sector do not exist. Because what you need is you need to be able to apply scale teams with scale resources, and like scale teams I mean thousands of people, tens of thousands of people, scale resources billions, two hundreds of billions in risk environment where a lot of this will fail as you're going, no other sector other than the commercial sector can do it. And that's because people go, well, sure, I'll build a billion dollars here that I might lose, right, because I'm not going to then be castigated for it or else because it's like, look it's my billion dollars, I'm trying to do it, etc. And that's part of what gets to the scale compute, scale data centers and all the rest now, So we when we think about this is we say, well, how do we shape it? Back to some of your earlier questions about like, well, what should you know, folks in your chair be doing? Like what we want in your conversation with ISRA, what we want in short order is at minimum three assistants given to every citizen, state, country, et cetera. One medical, one legal, one educational. And we want them to be very competent, and we want them to be essentially equivalently free, no matter if it's like a low cost does a matter, if it's like ad subsidized, a matter of like whatever, And it can be done without the state paying anything. Because if you go to say Google, Microsoft, Open AI and thropic and you say, look, if you're willing to build this on what you're doing, what would you want from us that would make it worth your while to do it? Because, by the way, the money you'd get from us, you don't care about relatively all the omeerning you're getting like just being paid. We don't have to spend public money on this. What do you want from us? They might say, well, you know, we got like we've got some permitting problems and these three data centers and say, well, as long as you clear with the local community jobs electricity sort will help you with your permitting problems if you do this right, like or oh well, look, we would love to be in the healthcare business, but like, the medical liability stuff is so intense. Could you give us a channel of safe harbor that could be by an independent review committee that you set up from the amazing hospital system in California and say, hey, give us a parameters of safe harbor to operate. And if you give that, then we'll be learning and we'll be building an industry off this great and then we will provide a medical assistant that's twenty four to seven available to every citizen of California. May I prefer the US, but we're just sitting here in californ Are you fine anything of that, because then, by the way, I have access to this kind of medical thing of twenty four to seven, I can call a doctor and get an answer for something I need. Very few people have that, right right, I would love it if every single person had it for their kids, for their partners, for their grandparents, for their family members, for their friends, et cetera. And by the way, these things can give really good medical advice. No medical advice is perfect, but they can give really good medical advice. So there's medical advice. And so it's like take them the kind of medical thing that only the ultra wealthy have access to and make it democratically available like every citizen. Legal assistant, right, Okay, currently, like like law law is expensive, right, and so currently like when a guy, when a person's kind of going into like signing a rental contract or an employment contractor anything else, most people can't afford lawyers, right, and I'm like, I trust that it probably works out. It's okay, et cetera. Right, Well, legal assistant, like it will help you with your rights, with what goes on with with how to interface this, Like that's why we have these laws to help protect you. Now we have an agent that can help navigate that and say we want to make sure that's provided to every citizen. Nice, right. And then education, same thing, and they say they're with the education.
Speaker 2: So we talk about democratization and and you know, I've had a strong theory that it's the same fight that if order to save democracy, which I've been particularly passionate about Prop fifty redistricting and pushing back against what's happening in Washington, DC, that we have to democratize the economy, that this notion again of just concentrated wealth. I'm joking about the six billion trillion dollars. I mean, I think it's realistic. Yeah, uh, you know, maybe you know my oldest daughter graduation, but certainly my youngest son. That we'll see that you already have ten percent of people on two thirds of wealth. You have a thirty year old's not doing better than his or her parents for the first time in American history. There's just growing anxiety between the imbalance between the rich and the poor. You've got twenty states, it's still seven dollars twenty five cent minimum wage, people working full times at ending up on welfare. I talk about corporate subsidies, so those corporations are getting benefit of that. You talked in terms you use the word coletocracy that a lot of people are using right now. And I talked about regulatory capture, and I talked about that concentration of wealth ultimately becomes concentration of political power, et cetera. What do you make of the world we're living in today? What do you make of the state of our union in relationship to all of this.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I always when a new administration kind of comes in the power, even when I disagree intensely campaign and I'm quiet initially because I want them to be successful. We want I agree, right, it's like we want for society for citizens. And it's just like like the level of like call it Chernobyl squared catastrophe is just huge. It's like, no one has a theory that tariffs lead to better economics for your average citizen. Well, yeah, maybe he doesn't buy eggs and gasoline, you know, and so uh, you know, no one who understands how economics and economies work, yes, right, and so, and it just it just goes down the list, and then you get to the like like the absurdity of like maybe that like the iconic one is uh, you know, when Trump's being given the plane, even Laura or leaves the leaves the plane, leaves the boat. No, no, don't accept that.
Speaker 2: By the way, we are a huge investor in that plane. Not just the four a million dollars the Gutari government gave to Trump, but the nine hundred almost one billion dollars in the Pentagon budget.
Speaker 1: To retrofit.
Speaker 2: It was also appropriated, and that is a plane he will take with him.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yes, to the foundation he will take with him. Yes, yes, exactly. So like it just like it's just it's it's it's not just I think, frankly illegal, but it's gross and non American, right, I mean, it's not It's like, what we stand for is not the rip off everything that you can out of the public offers to benefit yourself. But that's happening. And these are your old friends. Some of these were my old friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I knew some of these guys. When they seem to be completely indulgent in us, it's not just showing up. It's it's they're the beneficiaries all.
Speaker 1: This, Like it is. The thing I mentioned earlier is like, you know, Elon acknowledges that the XAI stoff is a complete train wreck catastrophe, and you're like, okay, well hand back your government contracts. That would be the honorable thing to do. And by the way, I'm you know, that's against my own you know, very small shareholder and small with.
Speaker 2: Large is not small to the rest of us. But I appreciate your point, yes, but why the hell are they doing. I mean, seriously, it's not just Elon, It's it's all these I mean, I've got knee pads right there for sale on my Patriots sight.
Speaker 1: For a damn reason, I had to go.
Speaker 2: I dropped your note. I love this, God bless you, man. I mean not everyone does. But it wasn't just for the CEOs and the brand names. But it's for you know, law firms talking about law. It's about the universities that we're selling out. It's about you know, all these you know folks that you used to count on selling their soul to get the deal.
Speaker 1: I don't know how these people look at themselves in the mirror. I mean it's like, look, it's what's the price of your honor, your integrity? Yours is crazy? Right like? And and look, if you're a citizen that has any you know, power, which basically is all of these people, including myself, state of your principles, some of the most.
Speaker 2: Powerful people in the world, and they're falling prey to this bullshit and.
Speaker 1: They're rationalizing it. Oh, the the Dems would be worse. And you're like, in what planet right like like, like is the sky purple where you live? I mean what like, what's what what's going on? It's probably red the the you know, and so uh, you know, it's kind of the the question of like, how do you defend this stuff? I mean, it's it's it's it's like, for example, the Iranian war will have massive impact on your average American citizen. You know, even as Homos opens, the ships haven't been haven't been going for you know, months. We're not like I appreciate the fact that the market's like, oh, really hopeful it's back and we're gonna lower lower the price of oil futures. This will work through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, whether there's some estimates or where you look at the total costs over trillion dollars, not the fifty billion. Yes, it's the direct cost the costs that have been born, yes, globally, yes, all the.
Speaker 1: Rest of us. And that's to every American citizen, right, And then the notion of oh well, because like the classic one is a all apologies excepted because I know this is not true of you, you know, and and actually many politicians, but they got all politicians are crop Trump's just more and more straightforward, right, and you're like.
Speaker 2: No, he's gonna he does it openly.
Speaker 1: Yes, at least seeson Man.
Speaker 2: That's he's the most transparent.
Speaker 1: Everyone was getting plained. He's just the first one who's acknowledging it's no, that's not the case. Not the case, right, not the case and so and by the way, you know someone who says, hey, uh, you like whatever politician acts, Oh, you misreported that. You probably should have said, hey, this weekend was a gift. Okay, small dollars. What do you think that corruption like like like like people think about it. Would you have been bought off by that nick? No, it was a mistake. Okay, these things can happen. Someone gets you a billion dollars in crypto, Yeah, yes, you're bought period. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we get to the UAE and then the fact they got high valued chips in yes, turn things that were denied in the previous administration exactly after we're a liberty financial deal.
Speaker 1: Yes, and all that, and.
Speaker 2: How well I can go down to litany a list, including just the usc fight and how it was paid, bonuses were paid in the Trump back crypto exactly. Can't make this stuff up. Also, you can't make up the fact that you know you must have teld me the truth. Did you feel an inclination at first? You're like, all right, I'm going to turn the page. A lot of my friends are going to the inaugural, you know, even if I'm not invited. You know, you know, we wish this guy success. Maybe he's different this time. Maybe he learned his lesson after all, you know, being on the receiving end of you know, so much stress during the Biden years. You must have gotten calls from friends of yours that did go is like, read, brother, I'm just doing this because it's the right thing to do for my company. I'm a fiduciary. What I mean, what how did you You chose not to do any of that? You're paying a price for that. I want to talk about that briefing. But you chose not to. Most folks chose too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I think the important thing is to say look, and people may not realize. It's like people can see that you were you were. What's the price that you're putting on your own honesty? And frankly, the only kind of price side to accept from my honesty is is saving millions of children. If there was something where I were where you say, okay, this would save millions of children. You're not going to be dishonest, Okay, I would take that trade.
Speaker 2: Contrast that to doge in usaid.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, five hundred thousand children, Yeah, probably dead because of that. Yeah right, great job. Yeah, ip, Yeah, I'm the defender of children. I see lots of corpses, right, and so the I think that the look the exhortation is look at yourself in the mirror and see it. And by the way, if the person goes I look at myself in the mirror, I'm just fine because I don't care. Then we have to speak about it. And that's part of the reason I wouldn't go. That's part of the reason I don't like. You know, I got these funny phone calls from people saying, hey, you know, for twenty million dollar is the right thing I can make your your your Trump problems go away.
Speaker 2: And you literally got to call it like, don't donate to this, so that the equivalent of a ballroom at the time, Yes, exactly, And it's like.
Speaker 1: I can knock your things and it's just sick. This is happening, Yes, happens, Yes, it's it's it is It's like like that is Unamerican right, I stand for what the country like aspires to be and should be. This is corrupt, this is fucked no possibility.
Speaker 2: And you and I share something sadly in common, which is just the elephant in the room. So it would be either of it. We can act like it didn't exist. We can edit it and say, but the Department of Justice.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is being instrumented as as a personal and corruption corrupted to a personal attack vehicle for President Trump. In your case, it's political opponents, right, which is no. Our whole point from George Washington's you know, seating of and and the and what this country stands for is we do not allow the instrum the state to try to corrupt the political process for people running for office. Oh no, no, I'm gonna I'm gonna stand up, because what's the basis of your Department of Justice investigation? Like, do you have any evidence? Do you have anything?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, we're just harass them. We'll just we're gonna look for something. And and we're not gonna look for something in red states, We're not gonna look for something. We're gonna look for something. And oh, who are the people who might be running, you know, for probably let's look for them, right that are running against us, right right.
Speaker 2: Or those that donate yes to the other team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, this one is crazy. So look, I have the honor of being called out three times by you know, Trump for and Trump administration, actually twice by Trump and once most recently, uh, kind of indirectly for like investigation. The first one was in TIFA, which which is like like an organization that they can't name a member of, an activity of, a leader of, and a tributal action, et cetera. But whatever that is. Maybe I've been financing it, Like what are you talking about, So.
Speaker 2: You've been doing how many years you've been financing Antifa?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, like and can you point it out to me? I would love to see it. Oh well I will like, like, as far as I know, I have never financed anything even remotely in the same universe. Yes, right, but whatever. So now, most recently, you know, some lawyers for Egene Carroll came to me and said, we have a woman who is the victim of sexual assault, who is being slandered and attacked and wants to go to court and would you like make a five one seri? Your donation. By the way, totally legal to finance legal cases. By the way, it would even been financial little legal cases to say, hey I get a percentage of the proceeds. That's actually like no, no, no, I think what's important here is that a that that a VIC, a survivor of sexual assault, can have her day in court with an American jury who makes the decision. Yes, I will I that that is an important thing as being Americans. I will I will finance that, right versus financing a ballroom, yes, versus finance and wall room. And I have no economics. It was literally like like like if economics come back from it, she is the survivor, she should get that, right, I like, I am just helping her have her you know kind of ability to speak her truth in court. Twelve jurors, probably at least three of them were Trump voters, right, you know, twice demonstrated is nope quick universal you know, like you like kind of you know, like the entire journey went yep, this is this is bad. And now because it's like wow, you know, so now the DOJ should be investigating this. They started with will and will will investigate Egene Carroll right, and you're like, so wait you're investigating the victor, the survivor and the victim of sexual assault, which uh, an American jury has found in favor of So you, as the DJ are investigating her and now no, we're investigating the thunder right, well for what? Right? Like you know, I was like, and by the way, would I do it again? Yes, like a h a woman who has been assaulted by a very powerful rich man, she should have her ability to speak her truth through a jury.
Speaker 2: And wait, so I love the clarity. I would even do it again. I mean, you've been defiant, you said, quote unquote, I will not bend the knee. Your lawyers may have said, hey, reed, uh, why don't we just uh, why don't we Why don't we similar it down a little bit here and see if we can work something out. Why do you feel like you need to be so clear and defiant?
Speaker 1: Look, my lawyers, who are extremely good, said you have the following risks. But one of the things I love about my lawyers is the head and we admire the fact that you're you're you're, that you're doing the right thing that period. And that's part of the reason that they like to damn right, goddamn right, yeah, and uh. And this thing is playing out in real time. This is just a few weeks ago there, yes, exactly, yeah and so and as you know, maybe it's still going, maybe it's not. Who knows, who knows.
Speaker 2: Uh read a hell of a hell of a journey.
Speaker 1: This conversation has been around.
Speaker 2: The globe, and I'd be remiss if I didn't just circle back on one final thing, and that is you're over under assessment. You've been a lifelong Democrat. You've been trying to sort of work with a party from within, trying to sort of strengthen our muscles, strengthen our you know, our our approach and tactically and substantively in policy, and also just in terms of you know, how we're successful and just building coalitions, et cetera.
Speaker 1: What's your make of the.
Speaker 2: Overview of this whole autopsy and where we are and the lessons we learned or didn't learn from the last election, and where we stand as a party the Democratic Party today.
Speaker 1: Well, one major mistake we made in the last election that the next election we simply won't, which is most American people think DC is broken and want to change. And the problem is, like you know, uh, you know, Kamala's chance was to say I'm different than Biden, right, and like, yes, he was a necessary stabilization for the catastrophe that was Trump won, and they'll be necessary stabilization for the infinite catastrophe that is Trump too. But like I'm hearing that people feel pain and feel that there needs to be a change in DC is broken. That's going to be important, yep. And it's you know, including like, hey, until we figured out what's going on for us, could we like really limits slow down what's going on with migration because like like I don't know how migration is better for me, right, so you know that kind of stuff. But I think probably the most central thing is there's a lot of Democrats who don't understand why business is so important. They don't understand it pays for everything. It pays for the Medicare, it pays for Social Security, it pays for jobs. It's like really important. You got to be the I'm pro business, right, it just got to be you can't be pro job and anti business, yes exactly. So it's like stop being like, stop doing anti business rhetoric because people go, wait, that's totally broken, right, then that's what part of what this like socialist means. Right, It's like, so like be pro business. Now you may say, well, I want business to contribute more. Okay, be more specific about what that is, and then go on that as part of what you're doing. It's like, look, I'm very pro business, and I think business can contribute more in the following ways. I want business to succeed, and I think we should get business like it's a I want business succeed. Of course you do. It's what gives us jobs and everything else. And so being pro business in that regard and I think that's that's part of the thing where there is like I just don't think it works to say the real problem is in earlier elections we weren't anti power enough, where anti power means anti business, and so it's like, no, look we do. Look, all societies have pillars of power. They have pillars of power in politics, they have pillars of power in business, they have pillars of power in celebrity. They have pillars of power. And what you really want is a distribution of power. Now, when you get to a trillionaire, you go, hey, he should be limited about how he can buy elections and do other kinds of shit, right, Like that's important because that's a corruption on that kind of power. But by the way, part of the reason why, like I have not been worried about the scaling tech companies is because if we were this is one thing has had like eight plus years ago, If we were five to seven scale tech companies heading the three, I'd have a concern. If we're five to seven heading the fifteen, they compete with each other and they're balancing out their power and all the rest. And by the way, I'm right right in Nvidia, Open Ai, and Thropic it's more and more and more competing with each other. And that competition is part of how we govern the system in terms of how we're doing it, so being more business intelligent and pro business generally, and the thought shouldn't be how do we limit business? The thought should be how do we shape business to help society?
Speaker 2: And so in this I mean so it's interesting at the core, and I think it goes to you know, you had some issues with Lena Kon at the FTC and the context and then the brand of Biden. Yeah, sort of took a shape in a completely different direction, including by the way, in the crypto space, as you were implying earlier that there was an opportunity there. Yes, and they just turned their back because of the excesses, but without looking at the sort of baseline benefits of blockchain or democratizing access to banking and not having the friction and the capture of the banking system and the fee structures and the rest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So what we want is we want democrats to say we're business intelligent and we're proposing things that shape it to the better benefit of the working class. Great, all for it.
Speaker 2: And you are aware on the Billionaire's text or read where are you on the billionaires tax? You know my position as a state level, but what about that debate and how does that play in to your broader point?
Speaker 1: So I'm not at all opposed to increasing progressive taxation. You and I have talked about the income taxes here.
Speaker 2: Withore California is a perfect example right.
Speaker 1: Now. But the the way that it's proposed and implemented is a disaster, right. I mean, it's the you know, it's kind of like the hey, fuck you, we hate you guys, We're going to take money from you. Well, a lot of them respond to that very rationally say great, we're going on another state. Right, And by the way, not only do they take the they reduce the perspective billionaire's tax.
Speaker 2: The annual income tax that we were otherwise enjoying is no longer with us.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a disaster.
Speaker 2: As this state has discovered. It's not anecdotal. I mean, yes, people say, oh, it's bullshit. No, it's not bullshit. And we have actual names, real people, and then we have dozens of people they don't know about because they don't.
Speaker 1: Want to make a big deal all about it. Exactly. I personally know fifteen people have moved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't say that, yes, because I'm at twelve. So let's compare the list. Yes, so it's a disaster now part of By the way, and someone watching this may be like rolling their eyes of course read mister billionaires saying this Newsom's captured by these guys as well. You know, that's why this is a chummy conversation. But the notion of the California billionaires tax at a state level, this is a real thing. I mean, just by the way, it's where the teachers opposed it. Yes, that's why the firefighters opposed it. That's why vast majority of organized labor opposes the California Billionaire's Tax, which I think is an incredibly important point to make. It's not just you saying it to me, who's well known in my opposition that said, it's at a federal level. This notion of again you say progressive tax system, but this notion of a tax system that does but inheritance needs to be reformed. Does it stepped up basis need to be reformed.
Speaker 1: Look, I think it's good to do all of these things right. Look, it's good to say, Look, we are not in a place where, roughly speaking, progressive taxation eg as you make more money, you pay a higher percentage of tax. H'ch just a higher number, but a higher percentage, not to infinite. I actually think roughly when you get to fifty, you start getting weird perverse incentives, like you go to, I'm now charging with seventy percent tax. The answer is, oh, I'm now going to work more on how are I not pay the seventy percent tax than you're in the next dollar? Roughly at fifty to fifty, many not all, but many people go, I'll just earn the next dollar, right, I'll find now. But the problem is the net effective rate for wealthy people is wall below.
Speaker 2: Fifty because it's not on their income, it's on the corpus, it's on the capital. It's the benefits that accrue then to having a lower tax rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so capital game. So this we should be fixing. And by the way, we already have versions of wealth tax like property tax a good way. I actually like the whole Pieter terror tax. I think it's a small thing, but I think it's a good thing to do.
Speaker 2: And Mendami obviously popularized it, but it's happened in many other cities incluely San Francisco, and a version it's in litigation and other parts of the globe have been doing it for years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think it's a good like. It's a small one, but an example of this is a good one. Right, And so what are the ones that we can do that are healthy in the system and also don't have you know, a weird kind of massive double tax you know kind of things and are coherent across it and sort. But progressive tax is good. And of course the incentive is to try to avoid tax, right, I mean the natural deetive everyone has that incentive, right, but let's try to make it so that it's that you're like, okay, because this is the thing I like when people call me and ask me about the the California wealth tax, I say, look, here is how I would try to introduce new taxes in California. Whether it's raising the income or house, I would say, hey, we're going to tax very much disproportionate from the wealthy. The wealthy have had a huge benefit of being in California because that's how they've made all their wealth and all the rest. So yes, we wish that they would just go along with it. But of course everyone wants to avoid tax, but like pitch it to them in terms where you're like, I'm fixing the problem, right, Like, hey, we're creating a sovereign wealth fund for being able to fund ongoing you know, kind of prosperity of California's Like Okay, then like okay, I like, I'm I still would rather not pay more tax, right, but it makes sense to me that it opens the door.
Speaker 2: And by the way, so many of the conversations we've had with many of the people, including a number of people that have left, are in laws lines where they would they have publicly stated, not just privately stated, they would support something along those guts.
Speaker 1: So because it's economic rationality, because because in addition to first thing, you know, uh f you you wealthy people, we're gonna just charge you for this. And it's like, well, are you charging me for what, oh, the huge shortfall from Trump's you know, a big beautiful betrayal betrayal HR one, Yes, big cuts to medicaid, which we have these huge costs because cutting medicaid, So we're going to charge you for that. It's like, well, that's not a one off issue. That's going to continue on going. And you're telling me this is one off. I don't believe you by that. Amen. Well, I appreciate that sentiment, and obviously I.
Speaker 2: Believe very strongly we're gonna have to address the tax code federally in a in a profound way.
Speaker 1: In California many.
Speaker 2: Ways has some clues, it has some models, and I mean compare California most progressive tax rate states like New York as well, but to the most regressive states like Texas and Florida that tax their low wage earners more than we tax our highway. So the question objectively, is who is the high tax state, the highest tax rate for the one percent. Ninety nine percent don't live in the one percent, and so this is but this notion that there's a tonality here, there's a sentiment around but grudging success. There's aspects of this that I think there's nuance on what you're saying that I think is important as a Democrat.
Speaker 1: I certainly share. Thanks for sharing all this time.
Speaker 2: It's been a lot of fun, and thanks for coming to you know, Governor Reagan's mansion, who I think had seventy percent tax right.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, And I think that's one of the reason I was online, is like it just creates a huge incentive to try to do something of it. But it's a pleasure and I look forward to nex