Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central. Hey, welcome to Beyond the Scenes. This is the podcast. It goes deeper into segments that originally aired on The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Like, be honest, scenes, this is what you think about this podcast. This is what this podcast is.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: All right, Like, you have a party. You go to the party. It's a good party. After that party, you go to the hotel lobby and it's like at four o'clock in the morning, you're eating greasy food, You're eating waffle house, You're telling all your deep dark secret. Somebody start tworking on top of the piano. Then the hotel manager come over and be like, how many of y'all actually stay at this hotel? Let me be like, shit, yo hate nas. So then the police show. That's basically what this podcast is. We're the party that happens after the original party. That is The Daily Show. I'm Roy Wood Jr. Today we're gonna be talking about the pink tax and the outsize costs of just being a woman. Lesplay the clipp.
Speaker 3: Being a woman can cost you, apparently an average of fourteen hundred dollars a year thanks to gender price discrimination.
Speaker 2: If you're a woman, just about everything cost you more than similar products marketed for men.
Speaker 3: It's called the pink packs. Research has shown women pay more than men forty two percent of the time. In fact, a recent study shows that starts from the time you were born until the day you die.
Speaker 1: Today, I'm joined by Daily Show correspondent Desi Lighteck and segment director Stacey Angele's, who both created this segment for the show Ladies.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi Roy, Hello Roy joining us.
Speaker 1: Also, we are very lucky to have Congresswoman Jackie Spear, who was in the original piece with Desi, and this congresswoman has been fighting gender discrimination for twenty thirty years. Congresswoman Spear, welcome to beyond the scenes.
Speaker 4: It is my pleasure. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for letting me be a man in this woman's central time.
Speaker 4: Too bad.
Speaker 5: We don't rule the world though, because we're ruling this particular podcast.
Speaker 4: That's the problem. We're not ruling the world yet.
Speaker 1: I would be honest. I felt uncomfortable hosting this episode. I was like, make DESI need to guess host. I don't want to get in trouble.
Speaker 3: You're doing great, Roy.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we do anything, we have to define what the issue is. So deisi, Stacy, let's start off off the top. What is the pink tax?
Speaker 3: Well, the pink tax refers to the markup on goods and services that are specifically being targeted to women.
Speaker 2: In gender price discrimination. So, Roy, you everything you buy is cheaper than the same products we want to buy.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if we both bought deodorant, and your and mine is Man deorderant and yours is Woman deodorant, same brand, you're paying more than me, is what you're saying, Stacey.
Speaker 6: It's more expensive for us to smell good than for you.
Speaker 3: Which is why Stacy and I refuse to smell good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're lucky this is on zoom, Roy, because you don't want to smell this.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, let us back in the studio.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, nothing to do with COVID.
Speaker 1: So Congresswoman, Congresswoman, I'm sorry. I apologize for both of them. Why does the pink tax exist? And more importantly, how do manufacturers and retailers justify this tax?
Speaker 5: Well, the pink tax exists because it's a form of gender discrimination. It's not just about pink, it's about the fact that women's products cost more than men's products when they are basically identical. It is important for us to address this because, as we all know, women still.
Speaker 4: Make less than men.
Speaker 5: For every dollar a man earns, a woman makes eighty two cents. If you look at women of color, it's even more egregious. And that's real money when everything is said and done.
Speaker 1: Are there other examples of this other than deodorant? Kids? And I'll be honest, as a man, this isn't something that you would normally think about because you're not buying a lot of women's items unless you're a committed strong man in a relationship like I am, so you're not aware of this. Give me what other items other than deyodorant? I have heard that women get worse deals on cars.
Speaker 4: But let me give you some products that kind of make the case.
Speaker 5: All right, Okay, So this is Dove deodorant for men and women. And as you can see here for a four pack, a woman's going to pay nineteen dollars and thirty nine cents. The man's going to pay thirteen dollars and fifty eight cents. That's just theodor Let's move on. How about probiotics for women? Thirty two seventy nine, twenty two seventy nine for a man.
Speaker 1: All right, this like the price is right. Let me guess that is the.
Speaker 5: Price is wrong though, that's the problem, always wrong.
Speaker 1: So the price is right needs to have a gender separate episode.
Speaker 5: Maybe, so huh So look at this. These are bibs, right, bibs for oy, bibs for girls, A dollar more for the girls bibs.
Speaker 4: Now, wait, there's more, what there's more? Oh my god, these are kids diapers.
Speaker 5: The kids diapers thirty seven dollars for the girl, thirty three dollars for the boy. But I'll show you the same discriminations.
Speaker 3: That's and boys have more happening to fill out diaper space. So really square footage, it should cost more for the men, right, probably.
Speaker 5: Because they need more absorbents, They need more absorbent material, so it's just right more right? Yeah, Now, we did this same study two or three years ago, and they were egregious around children's toys. So I had my interns do this just this week and this is what they found online at retailers throughout the country.
Speaker 4: So this is up to date, current. So what are we going to do about it?
Speaker 1: How does price discrimination add another layer to the wage inequality that women also deal with.
Speaker 4: Well, it's yet another blow.
Speaker 5: When I did the service review in nineteen ninety six, we've found out through the Assembly Office of Research in California that women were paying fourteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: In a gender tax every year, more than men. So imagine, on top of the fact that we're in a seat a she session, not a recession. More women are out of work than men. And there's one point three million women who have left the workforce since COVID hit and have not returned, in part because of the lack of childcare. This number is the highest number of women not employed since nineteen ninety one. So you couple that with women out of work, women getting paid less than men, and on top of that products and services are costing them more. There ought to be a law, and that's why I've introduced the Pink Tax Repeal Act and we have fifty one co sponsors on it.
Speaker 1: Now, this issue, this pink tax issue, when we talk about the say the word again, a she session, A she session, I like it. Does this she session strike women equally or even within that is their additional inequities based on race.
Speaker 5: Oh, no question, it's more egregious for women of color, African American women, Latino women, and the amount of loss and income is the greatest for Latina women.
Speaker 1: So your pink tax repeal at it's bipartisan and basically we're trying to get all of these manufacturers and retailers on the same plane to basically say, if it's something as simple as deodorant and it both keep both of y'all from being musty, it should be the same price.
Speaker 4: That's right, unless you can I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure it's not worded like that. I'm sure you worded it more professionally. You probably said FTC and Attorney General. You use a lot of other proper words.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: We did use more proper words to basically say, if you don't play by these rules, you're going to be sued.
Speaker 1: And so then the bill has forty eight co sponsors right now. Has there been any pushback that you've seen so far on your proposal?
Speaker 5: The numbers have grown, it's now at fifty one. I've talked to the chairwoman of the subcommittee.
Speaker 4: She loves the.
Speaker 5: Bill, and we're going to have a hearing on it and hopefully get it to the house floor within the next few months, and we can credit you with helping me get it over the top.
Speaker 3: Daisy, no credit here, no credit here.
Speaker 1: What role can consumers play in provoking change? And by consumers I mean men. We're the problem and.
Speaker 4: You are the problem.
Speaker 5: Well, the problem is that it's not illegal in most states to charge more for services based on gender or charge more for products. You should not be discriminating on goods and services based on gender. It should be based on the time it takes to do a service and what's in the product. Women pay about forty percent more to get their haircut than men do, and they pay about sixty percent more at the dry cleaners for the same service for the same item, and then for car repairs they pay about thirty percent more. Now in California, back in the nineties, I had legislation Paths that was signed into law that said for services you had to base it not on gender, but on the amount of time it takes to provide that service. For instance, I timed the last time I got my haircut. It took ten minutes, and I watched a man getting his haircut and it took longer.
Speaker 4: So if we do base it on time.
Speaker 5: Then I think you're going to see the tables turned a little bit, and then there'll be an outcry from you guys, because you're going to be paying more for your two dollars dry cleaning shirt.
Speaker 1: When would you say that you all were first aware of a pink tax existing, because you know, you got to figure you have a little bit of a blind spot to certain iniquities, and then one day you just go, wait a minute, when was When was your wait a minute moment? Congress warman, I started with you.
Speaker 5: It was when I took my husband's Oxford shirt shirts to the dry cleaner and they were, you know, a dollar fifty a shirt, and my Oxford shirt costs, you know, three fifty or four dollars.
Speaker 4: That's when I thought, wait a minute, something's wrong here.
Speaker 3: I can remember when I first started shaving my legs around six seven years old. I was a very hairy child.
Speaker 4: No, I was.
Speaker 3: Thirteen, twelve, thirteen somewhere around there, and my mom bought me a razor and some shaving cream, and I remember the Gillette razor being considerably more expensive than what men use, and my mom refusing to buy me that razor and also bought me a can of barbasol, like the old school men's shaving cream, And so when I shave my legs, I use like, I just use this stuff for ment. And I still, if I'm being honest, I still have an affinity for the smell of barbisol.
Speaker 6: That's why I just never shaved my legs. Mine was. I went through a terrible.
Speaker 2: Phase where I had we'll call it pixie haircut to be nice about it.
Speaker 6: And I went to a hair.
Speaker 2: Salon and the girl's haircuts were like about twenty to thirty dollars more, and I was like, why, I'm literally getting the same haircut as that guy in the chair. And I just at the time thought that they were just a really like sexist hair place. And they were like, oh, well women, you know you guys have more layers. I'm like, it's the exact same haircut. And then it wasn't until I went to your office and I was ashamed. I was like, oh my god, this is a thing, like another thing to add on top of everything else.
Speaker 6: So you opened my eyes, congresswoman good.
Speaker 5: We want to open the eyes of both men and women in this country to recognize that this is another form of discrimination that we've got to stamp out.
Speaker 1: Well, Congressoman, I know we don't have a lot of time with you, and I want you to be able to get back into those halls of justice and fight with all of those idiots that you see on the floor every day. Yes, I know that. You know, after about four decades in public service in the form of politics, you've made the decision to retire. So you know in your own words, you know, just tell us what's next for you? What does retirement look because I'm always I feel like people who are four people and who fight for the people. You don't turn that off.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Look, I have buddies that are retire firefighters and now they train firefighters. There's still something else that they do that's adjacent to helping people. So what does retirement look like for you? Have you decided what that with the next four decades is going to be?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know exactly, but all I'm doing is going home because I made a commitment to my husband that I would spend more time at home. So I'm going to continue to be engaged, use my voice.
Speaker 4: I want to start.
Speaker 5: A nonprofit foundation for the region in which I live, and I want to continue to give back, so I will continue.
Speaker 1: To do that. Well, Congress from and Spirit, thank you so much for going beyond the scenes with us, And I'll be sending you an email. I have some discount deodorant that I will be more than happy to sell you.
Speaker 4: Dare you. I'll send you some of that pink stuff that I have.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough?
Speaker 4: Great to be with you than you. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: So after the break, Deisi and Stacey and I would like to talk more about how this segment came together. This is beyond the scenes. We'll be right back, Daisy, Stacy, walk me through how this peace came to be? Because the congresswoman is presenting a whole bunch of different stuff and y'all only have four minutes, maybe five and a half to break down this issue. How can you break down centuries of inequality against the woman in five minutes?
Speaker 6: Get ready to feel bad about yourself? Roy?
Speaker 4: Get ready?
Speaker 1: How does peace come to be? Just walk me through the germination of it in the building.
Speaker 3: Well, Stacey and I were making a special for Comedy Central called DESI Light It Abroad. You can find it on Paramount Plus. Stream it now anytime you feel like getting out of your living room, traveling the world.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 3: Plays better now than it did, and things are still just as bad as they were when we filmed it, so it's still totally relevant.
Speaker 4: Yay.
Speaker 3: Anyway, and Congresswoman's Spear was kind enough to talk to us for the special, and I think we only had like you said, we only had a few minutes of time with her, not only to shoot but in the actual piece itself, and she was able to beautifully shed a light on all of the discrimination that women face when it comes to wage inequality and healthcare. But one thing that came up when we sat down and spoke with her is the pink tax. And we definitely talked about it a little bit in that interview, but there just wasn't enough time, so Stacy and I felt like we really wanted to do a bigger piece on it. So she was kind enough with her time to give us a whole other interview, So we went back to DC and did an entire piece on the pink tax.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean in her office had all those products, so I didn't even know that it existed, and I just remember like that kind of overshadowed what we were there to talk about not really, but it was just like we just didn't know, and we were both very outraged about it, and we just exchanged a glance.
Speaker 6: We're like, we're going to.
Speaker 3: Do it segment on this, something on this Yeah, it's one of the des trying to flip a table. Well I did. I did slip the table. I pulled my back and it hasn't been the same since. But I destroyed some furniture.
Speaker 2: She couldn't use ointment on her back because it costs more for a woman than it did a man.
Speaker 6: So she's exactly.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: It was one of those things where like, as a woman, you notice small things that come up, like, oh, why is that so much more expensive than this one? Oh well, I guess I'll just buy the men's version. Or why am I paying three dollars more for my husband's shirts at the dry cleaners than my own? Oh well, I guess I just will boycott dry cleaning Now. Little things like that, you clock. But we didn't realize how huge the issue was until she really pointed it out.
Speaker 1: Stacey in the building. For the listeners who don't know this, you are like, there's two types of segment directors. They're the people who go, Okay, what's the story and how do we make this funny? And then they are the people that are more like hearted and go, I'm funny. How do I keep this funny? There's too much sad shit in my funny. Oh no, I've got to add more sad shit to my.
Speaker 6: Why am I getting in the care all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: No, this isn't a bad thing because it's it's the balance and it's just cereal. It's it's cereal and milk. Some people put milk in the bowl first, then the cereal. Some people put you get what I'm saying, what savages? Savages know a cereal. There's people out there who do it.
Speaker 3: Now, there's only one way to do it.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, it's still a bowl of cereal. It's my point. And to me, you have a different approach from a lot of the other segment directors. So how do you navigate the seriousness of a topic with humor? Like, how are you able to balance that?
Speaker 2: Well? I hope I balance it, but with for this particular segment, I think one of the good things about working with Desi is we both have an absurd sense of humor. I think we bonded over our love for like Naked Gun and Airplane, and we've pitched a lot of ideas. I'd always get shut down. And I think one of the vehicles I'd like to use to tell the series story is like kind of showing it in an absurd way to get the point across ups, not just like statistics and facts and whatever.
Speaker 6: So we were like, let's show away.
Speaker 2: That there's this gender price discrimination by maybe going to a store and kind.
Speaker 1: Of wait in a store. Was the store open or did we rent out the store and we just shot in a store.
Speaker 4: We can't afford that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we don't even get crafty.
Speaker 3: We have to like, you know, sneaking corn nuts in the stock room now it was fully open. We were dodging customers.
Speaker 6: I mean it was fun running.
Speaker 2: Me and the g went down one aisle because we were scouting the aisle. We're like, oh, let's do this here, and then there was like a lady shopping for like canned peas and you're just taking her time. We're like, okay, fine, I'll go to another aisle, and we just had to keep working around the customers and how.
Speaker 3: We do it, it's how we do it at the day. Don't like you've never shaved your legs in the middle of a grocery.
Speaker 4: Store before, of course, of course, yeah, and.
Speaker 6: So yeah, it was just fun.
Speaker 2: And then you know, Dessie and I work, I mean, her ideas are just as Sertais of mind. We just piggyback off and like take it to this extreme place where hopefully it goes. And you know, we just do it till they shut us down. And we thought, let's just do it in a way where we go to the grocery store and Asie investigates it. I don't really know what their justification of you, like sneaking around it was, Oh, because you weren't paying for it.
Speaker 6: You weren't going to pay for it.
Speaker 3: So right, I had to go very incognito almost Yeah, real investigative work. Well, I think that's the thing that makes us laugh so hard, is like us taking our jobs way too seriously. So anytime we have an opportunity for me to just take my job too seriously and not do it that, well we one thousand percent. But Stacy is one of my absolute all time favorite directors to work with. She no, you really like you. She's so good at not only being a collaborator, but what you said, like, Stacy's excellent at knowing how to tell a story clearly, including all the facts, making sure that there's an arc to it, making sure that we're we're telling the full picture, but also making it really funny.
Speaker 4: And then she also has.
Speaker 3: A really unique visual comedy brain, so she tries to direct the pieces in a way where she's she gets creative and finds new ways to tell the story that didn't exist to begin.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, you guys, stop, it's.
Speaker 1: True truth, Like your mind works in a different way to get to the same bowl of cereal, y'all. I had a game show in the middle of.
Speaker 7: Like yeah, where no one wins, men win as displayed, and some of these products we have with us today and again we call.
Speaker 2: I mean dosie and I just again, like without trying to be preachy, we just try to put it in a fun package that can like kind of speed it up. Because also we have to, like we have that time challenge where we have to make it as interesting as possible and give as much information as possible in like a short window of time. So we're like, why don't we do a because you kind of automatically go to the prices, right, you know, mindset when you're doing this. And so I think it was a collaboration between both of us because Jackie, Congresswoman Jackie Spear, wanted to show off all the products.
Speaker 3: Thirty four dollars, two forty four dollars. Oh great, So while your little girl is learning how to walk, she'll also learn how to navigate the system that's exploiting her.
Speaker 5: Sorry, these are two children's snarkles.
Speaker 3: Eight eighty four sixteen twenty two for the pink, So women literally have to pay more to breathe. Sorry.
Speaker 2: I just love Dozi's graphic face going sorry in between all the products.
Speaker 3: This is where you're so good though, because like anything where it's like data heavy or number heavy or too much information, Stacy always comes up with a way to get it out quickly and efficiently in a really fun visual way.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank you very much for saying that.
Speaker 1: Is there anything Doesie that got cut that you wish had made it? There's always one joke for his correspondence, there's always one joke. We go, come on, man, you cut that is this time?
Speaker 3: There were so there were too dumb that one of it. This was a brilliant visual gag that Stacy came up with. We're in the grocery store. I was like army crawling on my elbow on the floor, like chin almost to the grocery store floor. This was clearly before COVID and it was so dumb. But we we did so much foot of footage of that, and just because of the fact that we spent I spent so much time on that floor, I thought, well, this should make it in piece.
Speaker 6: It was the cameras were I wasn't even if she would do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And then the other thing.
Speaker 3: Do you do you remember sitting down with Ryan, the economy professor, and for some reason we discovered this like flirtation that I had with him where I was suddenly in love with him. In the middle of the piece, we had this weird runner where I kep like under my breath telling him.
Speaker 6: That I loved him.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to do with anything, but I think it wound up. It was like it remained in the first two or three cuts because we just found it so dumb, and at a certain point I think people were like, that's not what this piece is about. Your love for this man is not It's not gonna make it, Dozzi.
Speaker 2: I would say, Also, almost every time Dosy does her own stunt work, she puts her heart and soul into it, and it always gets cut. She'll be like, there's a there's one thing we did where she fell into a bunch of trash bags.
Speaker 6: I think, yeah, a needle poked whatever.
Speaker 2: And then also in the grocery store, you were testing out razor scooters and you knock down paper tiles, which we immediately felt bad.
Speaker 6: We had to stack back up afterwards because we didn't want to.
Speaker 4: Like, Oh no, I forgot about that. Yeah, there's a struction, believe.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the pink tax starts at an early age, infancy, even and you all are parents, you know, Stacey, you're a new mother. Have you noticed the difference between boys and toys, like, because I'm sure you've bought toys for the people's children. What Daisy has a son?
Speaker 8: You like?
Speaker 1: Have you noticed have you started noticing the pink tax and the prevalence of it even at such a young age, even with a Bye Bye Baby fifteen percent off coupon?
Speaker 6: I do get those in the email every single day. It's a large You say that.
Speaker 4: You need.
Speaker 6: I know that's true.
Speaker 2: I didn't start paying attention to this stuff till we did this segment, and.
Speaker 6: So now I'm like, are you aware of it?
Speaker 2: And I would say, for the most part, like all those toys, which by the way, it's just a rip off of an industry, but it's a separate piece. The everything, for the most part seems to be equal. But there was this one kid's activity gym. I don't even know why they called a gym, like those you know, the stupid things they lay on with all those crap pain And there was one, yeah, and they there was one that was like a very stereotypical pink with like unicorns, that was like a couple of dollars more than the mail version. It's just a couple of dollars, but still it's the principle of it. And I like the other one better, but it's I've noticed it in that. And also another another like one of those crop what are those crinkly toys?
Speaker 6: A couple of those same. Yeah, I don't know those sensory things. I'm still learning. I'm still very new. I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: But I called the poppers the poppers poppers.
Speaker 6: We call them the poppers.
Speaker 1: I'm going to call them that from I've seen those.
Speaker 6: I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 2: No, I was talking about the prinkly paper things for the sensory things when they start to grab crap.
Speaker 6: But whatever, Oh, I know what is that?
Speaker 1: I don't hang on. It's a popp it.
Speaker 6: It's just I don't understand. Just what is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just holes and you just pop little.
Speaker 6: Just like the new slat bracelet from the eighties.
Speaker 1: I don't this poppit for a boy costs four dollars for a girl ninety seven dollars.
Speaker 6: What else? I believe it?
Speaker 1: Just this basketball for a boy thirty seven cents for a girl nine hundred dollars. I'd love doing this show in my son's rooms.
Speaker 4: I just like that.
Speaker 6: I just give me my toys.
Speaker 3: Roy's going around telling people that he's buying his son poppers.
Speaker 1: I'm like, after the break, I want to talk a little bit about solutions and ways that we can try and bring about change to the pink TAXX. I know that the congresswoman is doing her part, but we won't also talk about some of the marketing and the strategy and how retailers have been able to pull this off. This is beyond the scenes. We'll be right back home. Welcome back to beyond the scenes as we bring this conversation about the pink tax home. The pink tax where women need a quality on the cost of goods and services in spite of the fact that eventually men pay for the dates and y'all get in free for ladies night and the strangers at a bar, and that saves you a lot of money, Yet you steal. Want to how hilarious would that be? If that had been my position with the congress.
Speaker 2: Woman, I'm like, we're hell well, she just takes her DJ headphones off, slams AND's.
Speaker 1: Like, yore. We didn't have enough time.
Speaker 6: Winner.
Speaker 1: But I seriously, with a straight face, I was just gonna ask congress congress woman, do women getting in free for ladies' night offset some of these things that you say our iniquities?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How about all the doors I've opened?
Speaker 1: Oh how fucking hilarious would that have been? But we did not have time.
Speaker 3: Get her back, get her back on the phone, get her back, let's get her back.
Speaker 1: So does and the piece you talk about the term pink it and shrink it. What is this pink it and shrink it marketing strategy and why is it problematic?
Speaker 3: Well, contrary to the there's a common misconception that that is just the surgery that a woman has to rejuvenate post birth. It is not that it is actually pink it or shrink it pinked and shrink it. Yeah, it's actually, from what I understand, a marketing term when you take an item that is made for men or a gender neutral item, and you shrink it down to the size for a woman, and you make it pink specifically to market it to women. So essentially it should cost less, but inevitably it costs more.
Speaker 1: So we literally just go, oh, it's for ladies. Look it's in a pink box and smaller, and we're gonna charge you more. Should we move more towards gender neutral products? What's the solution to this stacy?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's crazy that congress Woman's been fighting this for decades and there's still I mean, when Desie and I were trying to think of like a way to come up with a solution to this, we were like people were saying, why don't you just buy the mail version and then Desy does that beautiful long zoom in shot where you're like, oh, sure, it's just another thing to add on to all the obstacles we have to do to be a woman. And for me, that speech you give is like the thesis of this whole thing.
Speaker 3: How can women afford to live in this world?
Speaker 6: If the man's version is cheaper, then just buy that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, if you think about it, it's just one extra step and a series of extra steps that women take every day to thrive in a man's world, Like how we get up a little extra early every morning to put on an outfit that looks professional yet accessible, but not too accessible because we don't want to be taken advantage of. Or how we walk an extra five blocks to work so that we can avoid the construction zone because men like to.
Speaker 6: Tell us to smile more.
Speaker 3: And when we get to work, we want to make our voices heard, but in a way that's helpful and strong without being overbearing or shrill.
Speaker 4: You know, we do all of this.
Speaker 9: Without even an ounce of resentment, because resentment causes wrinkles and society does not value aging women. Is there a men's wrinkle cream that you can recommend?
Speaker 6: Yes, there are several. Sure, it costs less maybe a little.
Speaker 2: To me, that was the most important part of the segment. And DESI did it all in one freaking take.
Speaker 6: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: She looked like she was crying inside as she was doing it, because as you should. When we were talking to people, they were all like, just buy the man's paduct just buy the mans product.
Speaker 6: It's like, no, that's not the point.
Speaker 3: Women often do have to take extra steps throughout the day just because they're a woman, and so this shouldn't be one extra step that they have to take. I don't know what the solution is, but it should not be one more thing for a woman to have to go out of her way to do.
Speaker 6: People just stop being assholes. Just let us all be equals.
Speaker 1: Stop over pricing stacy in three sentences, are less solve economic sexism?
Speaker 6: Please, ready goes, I'll do it in one second.
Speaker 2: No, I don't stop stop doing it, guys, to stop, make it quit, make it stop.
Speaker 1: Maybe a simple solution is all of the goods that charge more for women's versions of the product. Maybe in the male versions of the commercials. Maybe there's just like a woman that just pops up in the middle of it so that we can make these products more gender neutral, because commercials are very gender divisive. Yeah, you know, like if you look at like a raise, disess the gellet raise and you can shave you like the blade comes out the line and the guy grabs it and then just by the show you shave, you'll face and then just have a woman's tap pop in and women too. That's all the time we have for today. Thank you very much to our guest Daisy Ladick, Stacy Angele's and Congresswoman Jackie Spear for taking us beyond the scenes. Listen to The Daily Show Beyond the Scenes on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 8: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcast. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast