Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 1: Dundun, Hello, and welcome to That's Messed Up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Kara Klank and I'm Liza Traeger.
Speaker 2: We're here to talk SVU, crime, celeb guests, chit chat, fun, We have fun.
Speaker 1: We sure do, and very hardly breaking news. But you guys know, we're always in a little bit of a time machine. Iced Tea said, that's messed up on the last episode of SVU, and it's been a while.
Speaker 2: We I'm caught up and I did not notice that. I'm that's pretty humiliating for me. It's just the one that just aired like last Thursday. I guess he said that's messed up. He's in a scene. People have sent some screenshots. I think he's in a scene with the new girl.
Speaker 1: And he says it, So I maybe is that a subliminal message to us?
Speaker 2: Is it? Because I was checking Peacock and I was actually flipping out because I didn't have anywe el Smith last week too and I'm like, I just I missed the twenty two episode cycle, Like, yeah, I'm just sick of And I talked to someone else about this and they said Bob's Burgers will air an episode and then a month later air another one, like they don't give a fuck anymore. And I understand they deserve a life, like they don't have to be grinding out twenty. I guess this is sixteen episodes this season. I guess it's a lot, but that's a lot. We're only in March.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, they'll do twenty probably this season at least. Yeah, But so I have anything to complain about. Yeah, I think maybe you're also thinking of the season after the strike was only like thirteen.
Speaker 3: But I don't think many shows do twenty two anymore.
Speaker 2: But even they're like on an SNL schedule, they'll do three week off due to week off, like they're just kind of which, whatever the industry's.
Speaker 3: Done, what you need to do, I don't care.
Speaker 2: But last week we did mention the Luigi original recipe. And to make matters worse to the motions that his Pennsylvania lawyer is putting in is that they obtained his DNA, like unlawfully, but because they gave him snacks and drinks SVU style, you thirsty you want me to get they make it seem like it's legal. So I wonder how the motion is gonna go. But SPU does lots of things that are illegal. You know, they'll yea homes, they'll shove a guy, but the motion is to throw it away. So I wonder if it's because he didn't know what he was being arrested for or why he would have eaten and drank. But I think it's because he's innocent. Like, I don't think he he they didn't tell him what he was arrested in charged with.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, well, like it's so crazy. It's like, you guys have this high, high profile case. If you think this is the guy and you want to get a commit you have to do everything so by the fucking book.
Speaker 3: Well, because they didn't not.
Speaker 2: So I was reading a New York magazine article this weekend and it was about Tish, the police commissioner. You know about this woman, she's no, it's like Tish from n YU.
Speaker 3: She comes from all I know, the NYU program, So it's she's part of that. Wow.
Speaker 2: So her families were ten billion dollars and she worked in sanitatious So this whole article was just about how like Eric Adams and her might disagree on certain things and that he's like a criminal. I'm like, how do they actually work together? But what's interesting that I caught with this article was she was getting stressed because all the money and all the stuff that she spent on the city wasn't working to apprehend him. And I watched another guy online and be like, so you guys lost him at like a train or bus terminal by George Washington Bridge, the most policed place. There's a police station inside of it, Like there's no footage of him, Like, how would you guys lose him there? She has surveillance all over the city, and she realized he was becoming a folk hero.
Speaker 3: It wasn't looking good.
Speaker 2: She's a billionaire with reach, and a part of me is just like, I wonder if she didn't give a fuck that she just knew she had to catch somebody, right, Because the way this article I wish I had in front of me was like frame I highlighted, I highlighted, And it is embarrassing to even be talking about a police commissioner. I feel like, I'm on, I'm a batman. I'm like, what am I talking about?
Speaker 1: Like I don't even think I knew the police commimenter. Oh hit, Yes it was Kelly when I lived there. Wow, so she But it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like what I always say, if I was a billionaire, I would never work, and especially not be head of sanitation. Like that was her dream job. She like cleaned up the city. She's the one who got rid of all the rats. That was her big thing. Wow, Okay, go off, go off. But she's like a dumb bitch, and so's Eric Adams, and like all these deaths that they've got. I mean, so they pulled DNA from what they thought was the suspected water about there was nothing. The surveillance camera network to should helped build wasn't much use. None of the facial recognition was working. She found herself at the possibility of a catastrophic setback for her department. The killer was already emerging as a folk hero. Who knows how long she would have to get Like she had to go do her job, and a part of me is just like, oh, and then she goes, oh, fuck, he's better looking than we thought. This is a huge problem. She goes, and I can't believe we are with him. I'm so disgusted. We need to bring him back to New York City and it's like, that's not how police work works.
Speaker 1: The facial recognition didn't work because the eyebrows are different. Man, I don't believe. I don't think it's the safe guy.
Speaker 2: And all this technology is going to be used to catch immigrants, which she says she's against, but they're gonna It's like, it's really fucked up because Eric Adams basically promised to help Ice for his charges to be dropped.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: But I'm rambling at this point. Wait, but let me just say two things before.
Speaker 1: We got two interesting messages that I think I forwarded both of them too, but maybe I didn't. One of them was it's actually not bad that they keep delaying because like it's in his best interest for the defense to have as much time as possible.
Speaker 3: So that's what somebody said, so it's like, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing somebody said was if somebody if if it's a terrorism case, insurance will not pay out. So if he is convicted of or whatever of it being terrorism, his family will not get his life The victim's family will not get his life insurance policy because it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't cover terrorism. Isn't that wild? It is?
Speaker 2: But I don't want him to be charged with terrorism because it's I know not.
Speaker 3: It's just now, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's if the terrorism charges have to do a tiss too. I just like I don't trust a billionaire in the city becoming police commissioner and make snow sense. I mean, do we talk about the group chat?
Speaker 3: I mean I can't. I don't know, I can't get into the grid.
Speaker 1: It's it's we are living in a television show, like I can't even every day something more cartoonish happens.
Speaker 3: I can't even believe it.
Speaker 2: But that everyone's just so okay, like we're just it's just the going along of these insane things like but aren't all you right wing military people like into your safety?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's just a cult. This, Yeah, it's a full cult.
Speaker 2: I'm I actually found out someone that I really like went to the inauguration and I looked him and said, I can't believe he fucking did that. And at least for a few weeks don't even fucking look at me.
Speaker 3: I go, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Talking to you, and he stayed away from me yesterday, like I don't. It is shocked. I actually kind of had fun on stage. People didn't laugh at my joke about twenty twenty five being crazy, and I go, oh, do you think you guys think it's great? You guys want to all come on stage in Heyle Hitler one at a time, and then I did a whole speech at the end.
Speaker 3: It was really fun. Oh my god, I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was like, would you guys save me if I got zip tied?
Speaker 3: And they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: And then I said, people watch the Jews go to the gas chambers and they gasped, and I'm like, you are them. I'm like, if you would watch me get zip tied because I'm like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was like a wild I just.
Speaker 2: It's always a shock when I perform for my audience on the road and then I come back to the city. It's always just like a little bit of a shock that first set because it's not people that like are granting me full like we're down.
Speaker 1: They are more down on the road than in New York. Well, yeah, because it's people that want to see me. It's my eyes. Yeah, so it's our girls. It's like people shut her down here. It's like who knows where people are from? Yeah, they just popped in to see who was who, who was around. Yeah, but sometimes people go nuts. But I knew they weren't going to. But I still did my Luigi Midsia, but I knew they weren't going to like it. You just there's certain jokes that are about the world and the crowd. You know what the crowd is, and I go, oh, you're a bunch of fascists, got it all right? My pitch is that your next hour is just a full Luigi like it's a genre bending stand up special, true crime documentary combo together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean absolutely not, but there's definitely a good there's a good six minute you tack Luigi, but then you also branch out and you you go off of it to talk about culture and what's happening today.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Bravo can work its way. In Bravo is a true crime show. Everything has in an SVU with housewives, yet is like so annoying. I know, it is crazy. Maybe they like made a deal with Luanne when she was in the episode Bully that they would never tread on that ground.
Speaker 3: Well, it's also they're all part of the same fucking network. You're right, they are. Oh, Barcela is leaving.
Speaker 1: I saw the news. I think it's okay. I think Arcel gave us a good five years of her life, and I think it's okay.
Speaker 2: I just feel like it sucks if she left feeling. I mean, I'm gonna see her tonight, so yeah, we'll see I don't I'm gonna I'm gonna talk.
Speaker 3: To her about it. The reunion.
Speaker 2: Trailer looks like she walks off and does not come back. And in terms of like Bo's and Eric on watch what happens, that's what it seems like.
Speaker 3: That she left, like something went down.
Speaker 2: I didn't even know, I think, because also I think what happened was her one real, real, actual friend, Sutton decided to just be so thirsty for Kyle and fuck Garsona. What is Kyle's fucking power over everybody? It is just a popular girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: She's like not cool, it's very cool, but that it's just what it's. It's it's Barlow and salt Lake. It's like these women that mistreat everyone would never do the same things for you that you're doing for them, demand one hundred percent blind loyalty. See, if you do anything, you're dead, and they're thirsty for it. It's popular girl.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 1: I really thought this was gonna be the season that Sutton took Kyle down. But I guess Nope, Kyle has a spell. No, she's fully sting like Kyle defended me. Did you guys see that? I mean, it's really embarrassing. Wait, did I already talk about her fashion show?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: All these so Sutton, you know, opens the store.
Speaker 2: She if you don't know, she's a woman that got an amazing divorce settlement. She gets three hundred thousand dollars a month in perpetuity. It seems like like I don't know, she's wealthy and she opened a store, and she has this fashion show and it's all about her mom being proud of her and achieving something and making something. And all these rich women are always like, here's a business, here's a new business. They don't need to make money, Like, why are none of them service minded? Like if you want to make people proud and just waste your money on whatever, why not like make a school for poor kids to make clothes. I don't know, Like, yeah, why not feed people every week and make that your episode? Like I know she's probably like, I go to galas and I give more, you know, but yeah, she's like, I've been able to get am far. I'm on the ballet gala, whatever board. I just don't get why they all need a new line of rose. Is it all tax evasion? Like why is not one of them service minded? It makes no sense to me to be this wealthy with nothing to fucking do, and you're like, yep, I gotta do a fashion show.
Speaker 1: It makes no sense to me. Yeah, if you're talking about someone like Sutton, you're sixty years old. Your mom is never gonna be proud of you. She has trauma and you do too. I don't know what to tell you. No fashion show is gonna make your mom say I love you. She's never done it, So why not feed the poor? You're in California, and I bet that bitch doesn't vote right. No, I bet not either. But I think something probably really has a ton to charity. But I don't think she thinks it's fun to watch that on the TV show. I think she was like, she's like, it's a TV show. I want people to see my fashion and that I'm the fashion girly.
Speaker 3: She wants to brand herself. You know, Yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's just embarrassing and I don't know why it didn't hit me before this fashion show, but it set me off where I'm like, I can't believe any of these women and like none of them are like I'm going to start it, And the one that don't want was Bethany and she ended up ended up being kind of a criminal enterprise too.
Speaker 1: Well, that's funny that you mentioned Bethany, because I feel like most of them are trying to follow the Bethany playbook, where they're actually not as rich as they as they as they're co hostars I eed to read.
Speaker 3: Who I do.
Speaker 1: Believe is a full grifter and this is their opportunity to launch some kind of multimillion dollar brand like what Bethany did, and it just hasn't worked out as well.
Speaker 3: At Bethany was like the blueprint for that.
Speaker 2: Well, what I actually Bethany is doing some business or some podcasts that's been in my feed, showing me clips and she goes like the Housewives, does it make a business or a product?
Speaker 3: Go like, it's not guaranteed success.
Speaker 2: And she's like a lot of these women are like like I think Jenna Lyons thought her eyelashes were gonna become a Bethany like style, Like no one cares, like it's not just exposure.
Speaker 3: Well did you.
Speaker 1: See like Amy Poehler and Tina Fey having a conversation on their podcast where she was like, it's just embarrassing to me when rich people have a side hustle.
Speaker 2: Like, but they all do. They all won't stop. It's insatiable fucking thirst for more and more and more in the most sickening way. I don't know, it's just it's just with everything going on, it's just like I don't know, it grosses me out. Yeah, Sutton is and none of them want to get a job, and none of them are ever like, fuck, I'm going through a divorcer. Our house was foreclosed, Honor, Oh no, I need money. I'm gonna get a job. They're all like, I'm gonna make a purse line, and I'm like, you will never get your return on this purse line, Gretchy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I just I also.
Speaker 2: Don't have an entrepreneur imperial spirit. Yeah, because I think these people come to them.
Speaker 1: I think people come to them and go, we've got this. This person's going to design all the persons for you. Just slap your name on it. You'll make a bunch of money. Like, I think that's what happens, and unfortunately it doesn't work out a lot of the time. But and also yeah, I would love to see a little bit more service on the show. In general, we really haven't gotten anything since Homeless, not toothless, you know what I mean, Like, we really haven't gotten a lot of them supporting. Although I will say I love Bo's wears a black designer every single time she's on camera.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that until I just found that out. And I love that. I mean she is cool. I mean chief marketing officer. Who knew would be so into that job, Like it's cool. Yeah, she's someone with a job. Yeah, that's a blessing to watch.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, Sutton is gross, but she I do find her fun to watch, Like, I do think she's a good housewife. But you cannot be the recipient of a of a huge divorce settlement and then throw around how rich you are all the time when like, like the way the thing she said did to read about like find someone who's wallet match, It's like you're a gross Like that was a really gross comment.
Speaker 3: I thought that really was like.
Speaker 2: Low but well yeah, because well someone wrote they're like Beverly Hills is failing because you could tell none of them are actually friends or like each other and anyway that it's all forced, like there's just no nothing. But Garsette listen, Garcela made the most of it. She like revitalized her career in a huge way. So many projects. Yeah, gotta beach house. Let us know, let us know what she says tonight when you guys hang out. But she was hurt at that reunion when they went for her son and she was like tearing up and no one had her back, like yeah, I'm sorry the way they treat her, they do not treat each other. And yeah yeah even Eric, well Eric go is funny and watch what happens. But she goes what we both we both married ugly white men that cheated on us.
Speaker 3: That's what.
Speaker 2: Oh I do want to say thank you to wild Gummies, the guy from Portland. Yes, through big Box, Big Box nice, nice bullying on the podcast does work?
Speaker 3: It works?
Speaker 1: Wait can I I wanted to shout out somebody really quickly. We are friends with this comedian Louis Kats and his he's great. He opens for David Tel You're at one of your fave, my fave like all over the place. His wife started this business that she came over to my house and she went through my closet with me, and it was fucking the best. Like I was like on a high from this for like I still kind of am. She basically is like a stylus, like a wardrobe streamliner, and she'll go through and she's not in there to like tell you what like a bunch of new shit to buy. She's there to like help you put together outfits with like what you already have. And she thinks like in a way that like I would never think about how to like put my clothes together, Like there was stuff I had in my closet that I haven't touched in forever. She was like, this would go great with this, And I was like, wait, what, Like I never would have ever thought about that, And like I took all these pictures, I have all these new outfits like little flash cards in my phone.
Speaker 3: It was the best.
Speaker 1: And she's not paying me to say this, but I wanted to shout out her little business. If you live in the Los Angeles area, she's Angela Cats dot co.
Speaker 3: Go check it out. It's so fucking worth it.
Speaker 1: She helped me get rid of a ton of shit and she helped me, like work so much better with what I already have.
Speaker 2: And I love her. I mean it's all about that. Buying new shit's stupid. Yeah, all about repurposing. Yeah, I'm I didn't buy a new outfit for the premiere tonight. Mmm, I'm just wearing stuff that's been in my closet. Great, Yes, that's what life's about now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, Angela Cats fucking she just like really made me feel great. And now I feel like I have all these It feels like I went shopping because I like have, Like I'm wearing all this new shit in a new way.
Speaker 2: Well, and it makes packing easier once, Like outfits are kind of like mixy matchy, and you like everything, it's just so much easier to pack too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I had this dress that was like a short sleeve long, like a knee length dress or whatever, and she was like, this kind of looks like a hospital gown on you. But then she was like, open it up because it was buttoned down. And now I'm opening it up and I'm wearing it as like an overlayer with pants on a top, and it looks great. Like I never would have thought about doing that. I would have just given the dress away. So it's really a skill. I'm like not, you know, I like clothes, but I'm not like necessarily the best at putting outfits together. And like I feel like I got like an amazing tutoring set.
Speaker 2: So anyway, I love that he thinks everyone that came to Nashville, oh, I have so much fun. But in a wild turn of events, someone came to the show that I've not seen in seventeen years.
Speaker 3: A high school person. Not high school.
Speaker 2: We like shared a mutual friend and we would go clubbing together.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: And she was waiting in line to meet me after with her husband, and I looked and I go, do I know you? And she goes yeah, and I was like Rachel, And then it was and we hung out for hours. And her husband does like special effects for concerts, like he does the Incubus tour he does the lasers and fire.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I went to that school.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, did your head explode? Oh my god, I was there. We got to end.
Speaker 3: I guess they're great. So it's just like nice.
Speaker 2: But he was on the road with like Bieber when Bieber was a teen, Like he almost got ran over by Bieber on a segway and stuff.
Speaker 3: But it was just really cool. But also what was wild?
Speaker 2: So in the back I just have the TV screen and all I saw was like two guys in red hats in the front, and it's Nashville. So I'm like, fuck, are you fucking kidding me? Like I can't believe this. I walk out. They're both like the most incredible. It's it has nothing to do with what I thought, but it was my fears. One of the guys in the red hat, full flannel, denim, cowboy boots, like.
Speaker 3: The whole get up, and I go, wow, I love your ring.
Speaker 2: He goes, oh yeah's husband behind him, my number one fan, gay quoting stuff like I would say something and he goes, I bet your dad liked that, like do everything, Like, oh my god, knew.
Speaker 3: Everything gay fun diamond ring.
Speaker 2: I was did you say, like did you say, you guys an attack with the hats?
Speaker 3: Why are you trolling me? Oh?
Speaker 2: Of course. I had the best time with them. After I go are you fucking kidding me? I'm like, what I thought you were gonna do? And now you're a fucking just like here with your husband knowing all my jokes, Like perception is so off. Sometimes it was like really lovely to get checked. It was tough to get like reminded of everyone's humanity. But if the red hats were red hat, Like, if he was who I thought he was, I would.
Speaker 3: Have kicked him out. That's amazing. Yeah, vial or not, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did we talk last week about my drag Race episode that aired?
Speaker 2: No, I have it. That was the last thing in my introness. I was like, I know, there's one more thing. Yeah, you wrote the sketch, Yes.
Speaker 1: The acting challenge, the acting Challenge, the Ross Matthews and the Ducks. Yeah, that was like so funny because I was like they were just making such a big deal about the prostate wants what it wants, and I was like, oh my gosh, like that's fun that they like love that. I think I originally wrote the colon wants what it wants. But then we switched it to prostate. But you know, I was happy. It was cool because they always change everything I write, and like there's it always like you know, you never know how things are going to turn out. It really, in my mind looked exactly like what came out like that's how I saw it staged. That's what I saw the bar looking like, like it was exactly in my mind what I thought it was going to look like.
Speaker 2: So that was like a surprise. It was a great episode and they're great girls. How did you working with that?
Speaker 1: I was sad that that that challenge sent Lydia Butthole home because I've been liking Butthole.
Speaker 3: Well that's what I was goot to saying.
Speaker 2: If she didn't bring out the scissors, she would have stayed, I know, because her lip sync was better. I'm sorry, Like Lana Gerrat has been hanging on by a fucking thread and like I just can't believe she's in the top like she was in the top five, I know, but like Eve, but even this last time where she was, you know, the fourth time in the bottom.
Speaker 3: Her lip sync was better.
Speaker 2: Yeah I thought so, but you know, they had the letter go only Cameron Michael somehow kept losing and made it to the top three, and I don't.
Speaker 3: Really know how. Yeah, dancing.
Speaker 1: Maybe my friend Elliott's obsessed with Cameron's dancing.
Speaker 3: He's like, I just love the way her bottom moves.
Speaker 2: Wait, guess who went to Taylor Swift soul cycle with me yesterday?
Speaker 3: Who? Nikki Glazer? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: And her assistant Emily Who's who's a soul cycler who like knows what's up? But it was I was exploding, like I just love bringing people yes, like, and then next week Caitlin Belue it's gonna be her hundredth ride or go.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I just like to combine all my worlds.
Speaker 1: Was just everything that's fun, that's really fun, all right, Casey did just write.
Speaker 2: Out on a notepa I feel today was also really reminiscent of our old school intros.
Speaker 3: I don't know, just really nothing, you know, just chit chat.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Casey looks a little stressed and he's rubbing his eyes and showing us a notepad with a thirty on it, So we gotta we gotta wrap it up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, shout out to everyone in fucking Nashville. I really liked everyone. It was really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and go to that.
Speaker 1: You can go to That's messed Up Live dot com or the link in our Instagram bio and that takes you to like Lisa's websites for all her new Well.
Speaker 2: Guess what I'm doing Friday. What I'm doing us. I hope it goes I'm like scared team and say it. It's a stand up show Petting Zoo where you hold an animal as you perform.
Speaker 3: Comment.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'll keep everyone posting. Let me know how that's so fun. Yeah, but you can check out Lisa's links there. You can also, you know, check out our merch and you can get promo codes for all of our ads and everything if you want to save some money. But let's get started. We got a good episode for you today or do we.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're doing Truth Embargo season twenty five, episode two. Wait, that's crazy because it came out January twenty fifth, twenty twenty four, episode two, so it's like, oh, because the strike. It must have been a strike because they usually premiere in the fall.
Speaker 1: Yes, and season episode one was like more Maddie whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is part of the Maddie Laurid.
Speaker 2: You know season twenty five had a through story and so that we're gonna touch on it a little in this but Kara, what what what?
Speaker 3: What are you gonna say?
Speaker 1: Guys, we have the distinct pleasure today to be covering truth. Embargo the number one worst rated SVU episode on IMDb. Recently, it has dethroned Intimidation Game, which I always I don't think is a bad episode.
Speaker 3: I think the.
Speaker 1: Gamers like took over IMDb and we're like, this isn't real gaming, and it's like, people that don't watch us for you really care if it's real. If it's like, well, let's how the are about to go after original recipe.
Speaker 3: Are about to crash that episode the luigiads, Oh my god, but this.
Speaker 1: One is I was noodling around a little bit on Reddit and people really fucking hate this episode. So I am obviously thrilled that we're doing it right now. I like, I saw it and I was like, yeah, this is kind of one of the like more recent season episodes where I don't really like love the story that much, but whatever, and then I've really thought about it, was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, it's it is quite bad. I can't wait.
Speaker 2: But I will say what I love about this episode. A lot of zingers, like a lot of funny lines, and so we'll, you know, we'll get to celebrate those. I actually didn't even know any of this, and I feel like a fool.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what if we're like, I'm loving this.
Speaker 2: So a little upsetting, of course, But we start with a sexy Marishka, so we're happy doorman building. He opens the door for her. It's time for fitness. She's going on a run. Her you know, messy pony tail is perfect, and she has a shirt with the thumbholes. She's wearing the Maddie bracelet that she got off that she found evidence that Maddie was there. You know what, We're not getting into it. You want to watch it? Did we Did we not cover the first episode of this? We did because we had Maddie on. Yeah, tunnel blind. Yeah, we had a run. Yeah. So yeah, pretty exciting. And this is a tailor coded episode. You know, she has this beaded bracelet that says, oh yeah, friendship bracelets.
Speaker 1: But also there's a lot of episodes seasons starting in like seasons twenty around where Live is in workout gear, and like the first twenty years of this show, we did not really ever see her in anything besides you know, the blazer or like jeans and like a fitted little scoop neck top or something.
Speaker 3: But like we never saw her in at leisure or anything.
Speaker 1: And then like starting like a few seasons ago, it's I do think she just told wardrobe like, I just want sometimes to be super comfortable. Can you just like put me in like a Lululemon and like let it rock? Like what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying to think when the exercise started. Well, like season twenty, Yeah, season twenty, there's an episode where she shows up at a crime scene and she's like I was with my trainer, you know, so like, yeah, she's.
Speaker 3: Starting to work out a lot more.
Speaker 2: I mean she was always well cause because I remember her doing sprints. I know, I covered one episode where she starts off with the train or doing sprints.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, I think a later like a later EP season.
Speaker 3: I know. So they never worked out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was always just like Stabler in a bad mood, pumping iron. You know, that's like the most workout totally. Yeah, And I and we always saw Rolin's jogging we always saw Rollin's jogging, but we never saw Marishka really working out. But it also I think could be part of like her storyline of like she's trying to do things for her spend time like because now she has no more work life balance, like taking care of yourself. Also, for me, as someone who had kids a little bit older, I felt like I need to get back to fucking working out so that I can keep up with them because I feel tired as hell all the time with them. So working out like helps you chase after your kids, you know. So maybe it's a little bit of Noah and a little bit of self care.
Speaker 3: Who knows, but I think.
Speaker 2: She was probably always keeping fit though because of the job.
Speaker 1: Of course, I would imagine that young Olivia Benson would go to a gym or take a run, but we just never saw it.
Speaker 2: Oh I bet she was a fit. This bitch was doing step classes. I know it, I know it. I feel like late nineties Benson was totally doing fuck it. Do you think she was like doing zoomba and like all the fatso not.
Speaker 1: Zoomba, but definitely step I do.
Speaker 3: I s yeah, I used to do that. Way I could see her doing soul. I could see Olivia doing soul. Oh yeah in New York City.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yea dark she like herself. Yeah, I was talking about Soul cycle like I always do, and kind of selling it and there, like, I guess if there's also a light show, I go, there is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's that is one of the things I think about when I'm like, I could go to soul. The lights are fun. But anyways, she's running and she and she's haunted.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's no dialogue, it's just music, and this bitch is fast. She is running fast, but she sees an energy drink truck, the last place Mattie was seen.
Speaker 3: So she runs opens the door.
Speaker 2: The guy's like what the fuck, and she's like flashback, you know, And this guy looks like lin Manuel Miranda. It's not though I looked it up and he would have gotten a bigger part. But for a moment or two I did look it up. It looked so much like him. Benson's like, whoops. And now we're at work. Finn's at work. They're chatting a case. Octavio is spinning in his chair and Finn is like, it's a you know, explains that it's a fifteen year old gun. Too many prints. You know, it's better to have no prince than too many prints. Benson walks in works chic ready and right away she's talking about this gun, Mattie's case.
Speaker 3: Let's go, let's go, Finn, this is one of my zingers.
Speaker 2: He goes that gun's been passed around more than little Nikki Kriesi at his baptism, which is like, so does not roll off the tongue, but ice makes it work. Ice makes it works. So FBI guys here. She hates his ass. She goes to her office to meet him. He looks like a twerp, but we'd love to have him on the pod. He's been in four episodes. Josh Cook gives us on eleven episodes of Dexter, which I can't even I can't have them, but you know, thrilled to see him. And so then you know, she's like, well, you're here to take my case. He goes, no, I'm actually here to help and coordinate. We're going to get you know, and she's like, oh, of course, state lines, sex dolls. Of course, yeah, we're going to be involved, and he goes, yeah, we're going to try to do federal child porn charges with the Maddie case, we got to link up with SVU and we're going to link you up with our child abduction Response team cards. And she's like shocked at this teamwork. So I bet he's going to fuck her over. But we cut to hot lesbian couple in the kitchen and they're talking about their honeymoon. You know they're planning it, Natalie and Brook. They're going to an island. One of them hates swimming. You know, she's scared of sharks, sharts, stays in, stays in a I bet she's scared of sharks.
Speaker 3: Are we all? But it's sharks. It's sharks sharks.
Speaker 2: So they flirt and you know, they're like talking cocktails. One of them has to go to work. The other was like, I'm gonna go to the mall and buy sexy bathing suits. So she has a bunch of one pieces. I see a bright pink one, I'm into she but she's trying on a white one and there's like a metal circles right below the boobs with like ropes going in and out, and she hears noises, so she goes out to see what's happening from the dressing room and she freezes, like fully frozen in this white bathing suit, and it's a smash and grab tons of people dressed in black. There's like twenty to thirty of them, all ransacking the store, grabbing whatever they can. Two guys are making a video like what's up, you know, TikTok video of committing crime.
Speaker 3: One young man sees the bathing suit woman.
Speaker 2: She starts to run away, too late, girl, and you know, we can assume what happens. So sadly, we have velasco Benson and Finn and they meet up and Finn calls him money bags.
Speaker 1: Because he sees Bruno. Yeah, so he goes, oh, hey, money bags, how'd you get here fast? He's like, I had my driver take me. I'm literally so loaded. I got all of NYPD's money and now I'm trolling them by still working for them.
Speaker 2: But yeah, masked s looters basically, and a saleswoman got groped, and so that's who we're here to talk to, those groped saleswoman. She's like, he tore off my shirt, he groped me, and he was white, bad skin pimples teen and so inside, Benson and Finn are with a uniform cop and they're walking through the store, and of course Benson she hears faint sobbing, so she enters the employees only like storage closet. There's a steamer in the corner, so she finds our victim. She's still in the white bathing suit. She has blood on her face and she's huddled in a corner crying. She's really in shock. Natalie is her name. Benson's like, I got you now, gives her her jacket. This actress incredible. We call for a bus. She's really fun up over this and crying, and we just hit the credits. This isn't this opening scene over six minutes long? I bet?
Speaker 3: I bet?
Speaker 2: Not only is this the lowest rated episode of all time, this might be the longest intro of all time. Yeah, wow fully, like a jog set, a lesbian set, a store set, and then a crime scene.
Speaker 3: It's like four different sets.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of and we met at the precincts already too. This intro had five locations. This is the longest cold open of all time for sure.
Speaker 3: So we're back.
Speaker 2: She's in the hospital and Benson's trying to get information. Last thing she remembers was trying on a bathing suit in the dressing room. She heard commotion outside. She went back to look and a man was there. Suspenseful music plays and she gathers her thoughts. He forced her back in there, took off her suit, like moved it. She says. He seemed young. She has tears in her eye. She's like, he had his mask on. I don't want to talk to get me Brooke. I want Brooke like, go fuck yourself. We see Brooks, She's distraught. Finn and Velasco are with her, and she's like, what the fuck. It was the middle of a day in a fancy boutique and it's like, I'm sorry, babe, that looked like an H and M. That's not a fancy a Zara at best. But maybe I'm off. Maybe I'm off. It was definitely a department store.
Speaker 1: It was big, so I thought I was thinking maybe Nordstrom or something. But I did it really clock any of the clothes? No, you're right, they were like smashing through the glass. It was more department store, but it gave them. I want to know where they filmed it. I am curious. But anyway, but she says fancy boutique. I mean fancy for who that's subjective to.
Speaker 2: That's true. They seem rich though, you know. But she's pissed. She goes, how did this happen? Where are the witnesses?
Speaker 3: Like? What happened to the city? Baby? This is New York. What do you mean when.
Speaker 2: Did the cr Like what, yeah, I guess smash and grabs? You're gonna cover that. I'm a sou Yeah, yeah, Like I get that's like maybe a newer phenomenon, but in terms of like things happening in the city, it's kind of one of it's it's also ye stitch characteristics or at least stereotypes, you know what I mean. And the whole thing was it used to be less safe in the eighties, you know what I mean. So it's like it's just what part of the city are you living in? And where did you come from? Nebraska?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So she says, are the police trying to prove some point or something? Of Alesco's like what wait? What what am I? What am I? What am I missing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And I'm as lost as he is, and she says that we still need you. So this is you know, you know, a cab vibes, and so she scoffs and she walks off.
Speaker 3: She's pissed.
Speaker 2: Benson's on the phone complaining that the press is there and we need them gone before they start harassing you know, her victim and Finn again another funny line from Finn, he goes, wow, twenty twenty four is off to a rowdy start. Rowdy is only a word so used in cheerleading or like you know, softball cheers like.
Speaker 3: Borrow wd I e lets yet right, like, it's not for a detective.
Speaker 2: It's not for a seasoned, grizzled detective of decades, but like, I guess it is a he says, two media cases in a week. Bruno does have a connect at Major Case who's been working on the smash and grabs, and so he's gonna give them access to all the security footage. So we're watching the footage, and even though Natalie said she did not see his face in the video, we see that the guy does take his mask off before he attacks her. So I wonder what's going down. So Taru also found the kids recording of you know that we saw getting recorded and it has eighty thousand views and one of the guys in the TikTok video looks like he's one of the guys that pushed Natalie. We do see him taking off his mask, but all the footage is from the back, like we do not see his face, but it's the same guy like hair wise. So Travis Butler is the guy that posts of the videos, so we're gonna go get him. But also lol, to post the video of yourself committing like a giant crime onto the internet does not make sense to me. But I like, you're wearing a mask for secrecy, but then you're posting it online. So they rest his ass and he does not look like good news. And then Benson says, I hope the clicks were worth it. And I look look at my note I wrote, this episode is fire.
Speaker 3: Do you see it? Like?
Speaker 2: I can't I like love this episode again, I can't believe it. This episode is fire well in terms of like like like like.
Speaker 1: We like stuff when it's like campy and there's stuff we can like make fun of, and there's plenty in this you know, So this episode is fire.
Speaker 2: He goes, listen, I only took this shirt. Take it and he takes his shirt off and he goes, we're done here, like the confidence of this guy.
Speaker 3: Bruno and Carisi are there. They laugh at him.
Speaker 2: Bruno's like, it's not about what you stole, and then Carisi goes, but thanks for your admission of guilt. They say they only care about the rape, and I love that. He's just like shirtless fully and he's wearing a gold cross necklace. Bruno shows the video and says, what do you guys call it a collab like it's funny. He says, that is not my friend, and they're like, well, he's a rapist, so tell us who it is. Give us a name, bitch, and there's tense music. He says, well, what do I get? And Chreasy goes a deal for the smash and grab.
Speaker 3: Duh.
Speaker 2: He's like, listen, I only met him outside the store and I didn't see anyone's face without a mask, I swear to God. And he does have the gold necklace. But so we're at zero. This guy's not giving us anything. But Bruno's friend found the kids on discord and I don't know what that is. And guess what, I didn't google it. I don't give a fuck, So there, I know what it is. I know they're chatting, but what Yeah, it's just like it's just it's chats. Yeah, It's like it's like online chats.
Speaker 1: But it's funny to me because Discord I thought was more for like gamers and nerds, like Jared uses it a lot for his stuff that he does for his gaming. But like Bitch Sash Bravo podcast that like you, they have a discord, Like all kinds of places now have discords for you to just it's like whereas people used to chat, it's like another place to chat that's not Instagram comments, I guess, and you can just chat with other people that like the same thing you do and talk about you know, episodes or strategies or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay cool, yeah, connected to the youth. Yeah, so whatever, they monitor the chat. They're doing a raid. We have all these people, but all these guys are gonna be out in twenty four hours, right like on bail or whatever. Benson he's like, fuck, can we get these people on sex crimes? We need to get someone on a sex crime. And Creasey goes it seems like you're going crazy. Do you think it's because of Maddie? And Benson goes shut the fuck up. I want to find these guys. Finch ups in and goes, hey, babe, I'll pull an all nighter if that's what you need, That's what I'm gonna do. She goes thanks, and then Careesy realizes he's a dumb piece of shit trying to speak to Benson like that. So she's gonna put you you're letting these old guys stay up all night.
Speaker 3: What are you up to?
Speaker 2: Careesy stop with her negativity.
Speaker 3: So whatever.
Speaker 2: He's a lawyer now, so they're gonna push it to the limit and they're going to make this happen.
Speaker 3: So whatever.
Speaker 2: They're like arguing about what to do next, and finally Benson goes, Okay, you're right, let's make the pool smaller before we go fishing. So that's kind of exciting. So let's bring Jenny and Natalie and have the idea mugshot. Jenny is the store clerk. We just learned her name. It's Jenny. So anyways, we bring them in and the store clerk finds her green eyed pimple groper and she is sure she you know, on the iPad, that is him. But our girl Natalie doesn't recognize any of them, and she has like such a fucking attitude, but she you know, obviously was attacked, so I understand, but she goes, no, my mind is blank.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen this. And then she's like, well, why were these men arrested for?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What are they arrested for? And Bruno goes robbery. I think you were there. You were there for that, and and she's like are you sure, and Benson goes, yeah, we have them on video and then we have them like they have the items in their possession. Yeah, and she goes, well, I just want to be sure and again rude but trauma okay. And then so she goes, did you get any evidence from the rape kid I had? And they go no, there's no DNA, but like, are you sure you didn't see the face? And Bruno goes because we actually saw the video and he did take his mask off, and she's like oh, and she's like, well, I'm not sure if I saw the face, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Knock knock, it's our boyfriend.
Speaker 2: Benson goes to meet him, and so pimple Groper's trying to make a deal and says he can connect him to their fence and so Benson goes, oh fuck, they sell all their stuff to one guy. We got to go find him. So they bring him in and I guess that's what offence is. So then he's really fun. He's relaxed. He goes, I'm not stealing, I just resell it, and then Velasko goes relax Crispy so his name is Crispy, which lol, And he denies knowing about the rape, and he's being light and trying to make it silly, and Finn finally is like, motherfucker's CSUS at your apartment right now, we have evidence, So do you want to help us or not?
Speaker 3: Like I don't. What are you?
Speaker 2: What are you playing games for right now? So then he goes, fine, okay, there's one kid bragging about how we grab more than just clothes. And then in this moment we hear commotion. We're like, what's going on. It's a fucking smash and grab at the NYPD. This is humiliating to all of them. Holy shit, there's dozens of people chairs, throwing glasses, breaking tables are being flipped like you're the NYPD. And then some uniform cop polls are gun on someone and goes drop the laptop and Benson goes, lower your weapon, lower your weapon, and she keeps yelling about some laptop and Benson goes, these are teenagers, and the uniform cop goes, there's right and wrong, and Benson stares her down and goes, nobody's getting shot here today. Do you understand me? And you know, she goes, where's my backup? But it is crazy, like, yeah, there's right and wrong, and I guess you should murder someone from stealing a laptop, but also like the fact that there's a smash and grab at your office is not on the first floor of a police station is crazy. This is where I think the episode falls off.
Speaker 3: The rails, right, how would this even happen? Like, I just there's cops. Well, I will you what happens.
Speaker 1: So she's on the phone with the chief, the place is a mess, and the desk sergeant from downstairs is on suspension.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe.
Speaker 1: Fire him, okay, one desk sergeant, I mean, are there not? It's just so, how do you get suspended as a desk sergeant.
Speaker 3: I thought I'm tasing people.
Speaker 1: I thought you got suspended for doing something bad in the field, and then you became the desk sergeant. What did he do bad at the desk that he got suspended? Well, he let people in. Yeah, oh oh, he's suspended. I thought that's why they got in. Okay, See now I'm so confused. I thought you were saying the reason they all got in is because the desk sergeant that would normally have stopped anybody coming in, yeah, had been suspended. But you're saying he has been suspended because of what has happened here. Okay.
Speaker 3: Still, there's cops.
Speaker 2: And these teens in tase them, like you don't have to murder them, but you can't someone.
Speaker 1: On the back of the head with the butt of your gun, Like there's other ways you can, fucking like, like, you know, disarm people.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy.
Speaker 2: Cariesy walks in and he's like, fuck, it took twenty minutes to get up here with security in finn again with a with a nail with a nail.
Speaker 3: I don't know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: NYPD always responds best after it's too late, and I feel that, but it could have been worse.
Speaker 3: So what is this about? They have eight kids collared.
Speaker 2: Travis Butler, the shirtless guy, he's one of them, so he's just like an attention junkie. He live streamed his arrests and now at least they have more leverage and he got one hundred thousand views though, so he is humped. So Bruno and Crisy, you are threatening him with like a lot of time or he needs to out the rapist. And yeah, he doesn't want to talk because it's actually his friend since fifth grade. He doesn't want to give him up. And they're like, we know you've known him for a long time, but he is a rapist. The guy's getting emotional, but does give up his friend, who's Jay Watson.
Speaker 3: And now they bring in Jay.
Speaker 2: They basically wired Travis and have all this evident and they bring him in and he admitted to taking something that didn't belong to him, which you know, if he has a good lawyer can play it. And anyway, and Natalie has a shaky ID. There's also no DNA, so we need a confession or there needs to be more evidence, but Natalie is still not being helpful. Benson has to beg her to help this case. Reassures her nobody will pressure her either way, just come make an ID, and Benson's like, if you recognize him, and she's like, what if I don't, And she's like, then you don't like girl, I'm on your side. So they bring the guys into the lineup. She starts to look uncomfortable. She IDs him immediately she goes number three. She's sure that's him, Like, that's it, Like there's nothing else. Coreesy still needs more. He's like, you know, DNA hungry. So something comes to Benson and he's and she goes, oh my god, the sticker liner in the bathing suit, the hygienic liner. Where is it? I'm sure Csu was a dumb man and didn't know what it was. So suspenseful music plays.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, can I just say, do you remember when you win thisisode first came on you texted me about this. No, you were like, when this episode was first on, you texted me You're like, you're gonna die tonight's episode. You were like you were like the liner, Oh my god, the hygienic liner.
Speaker 3: And I go what?
Speaker 1: And then I watched the episode, I was like, what is happening? Like, of course liv knows about the hygienic liner.
Speaker 3: That I wouldn't know one.
Speaker 2: I mean, so it's bagged with other evidence, but it was like probably still in the crowd. Oh maybe it like came out with the damage and was on the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like just test it, test it. I don't get that, but they got for Benson and I can't believe I texted you and she's on the stand.
Speaker 3: Should we make stickers that look like liners? Okay?
Speaker 2: Caresy as the liner in an evidence bag and shows it to the jury slowly, and Benson explains, like what it is on the stand and how CSU failed to get it to the lab. But Jay Watson's DNA is on it, and it came off during the brutal attack, you know. Objections, objection, And now it's Carter, the defense attorney's time to play, and he goes to the baby, said no DNA, and then all of a sudden, you get to spin it find a sticker after some idea. He's just playing a fucking game, and the judge is like, okay, we know that's not true.
Speaker 3: Like stop.
Speaker 2: The fiance is staring at the rapist team and Benson then meets her in the bench in the court in court hallway. She's not doing good and neither is her fiance. They're really struggling. She's like, you know, she goes, it's also not just about the attack. We're aware of the systemic inequalities that exist in the criminal justice system, and you know, we just have concerned that he might not get a fair trial. And Benson's like, I cannot deny there's a history of racial bias. And then this woman just say, yeah, how do you do this every day? And she goes, listen, my priority and focus is on healing, okay, And now Natalie is on the stands, so that's the priority. She does ask to go pee first. And now she's on the stand. I don't know why we had to see this Pece break, but we saw it. So she's telling her truth on the stand. She's having a hard time but getting it all out, but she does not want to identify him. She's biting her lip. You know, there's chatter everywhere. The judge calls orders, she's not answering. The judge does give Cresey a fifteen minute recess, which seems unlikely. Natalie is frozen. The defense attorney is confused. Benson is in shock. We're in the hallway and she is just very affected at how you know, young he looks, and how the jacket is big on him, and Creasy's like, I've never had a case go sideways because of tailoring.
Speaker 3: What the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: And She's like, listen, you know, my parents are a bit religious and they used to foster children. And her brother Yves from Cameroon, when he came around twelve, they were like in a you know, in a store, and she dared him to steal a pack of gum and they arrested this child but not her, and he had to go to Juvie and she and Crisa goes apples and oranges, this is different and she goes no, like he had a record and it pushed him down this awful path and I'm just like against everything, and ben Sup goes, no, I hate that too, but this guy did rape you. Like I don't know how to get this through to you. It is kind of it is kind of nuts.
Speaker 1: Like the premise here is nuts, you know, like we all believe, like I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm the most liberal person ever.
Speaker 1: I still don't think we should be saying that anybody that, like, you know, first of all, yeah, the pack of gum, Like I'm having a hard time believing that your juvenile record for petty theft actually like was not like affect like, I don't know, it probably does affect things that you know, like as a young child that people are suspicious of you and like, you know, but it's just such a different fucking thing someone committed a violent crime against you. I mean, I think this is where a lot of people lose this episode. Yeah, I guess it's disrespectful.
Speaker 3: To rape victims like blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I can't I get the sentiment they were trying to touch within the culture because it was like, you know, under I feel like this these were discussions happening in this time or like it was a thing where it's like, are you gonna think twice before calling the cops? If like that call can endanger someone's life. Like, I get what they were trying to do, but it does seem hard to not want your rapists put away. But then she goes into it. She goes, I have money, I can go to therapy. I'm gonna get better. But if this teenager goes to prison, he might not be okay. Ever, yeah, Craasy thinks about it. Natalie cries. She says she doesn't want that, and she runs off. Benson runs after her. They meet in the bathroom. She's like, babe, you're doing the wrong thing for the right reason. Jay Watson is a criminal. She goes, he's eighteen, he's not anything yet, and Benson goes, he took a chance to victimize you. He saw a chance to victimize you, and he took it. And you know, but she feels guilty, and Benson on stands and also says, you know, I will stand with you no matter what decision you make. But he raped you so violently. And Benson, you know, like Aladdin before her asks do you trust me? And she's and she's panting. So Natalie's back on the stand. She points to him. He looks down in shame. Crisey asks why she couldn't do it earlier, and she goes. She answers, slowly but confidently, as a victim of a crime, my decision not to testify was rooted in a familial trauma that goes beyond the immediate circumstances of Jay's crime. The defense attorney, of course, is like, yeah, yeah, you sound noble, but it's bullshit that, like, you know, you didn't just come up with this. You had time, you talked to the detective, you talked to the prosecutor, and now suddenly you have this little answer, and you know, we know what game he's playing. He has a job to do, but he's being aggressive and she is staying calm, and she's like, he did it, whether I talked to the lead detective or prosecutor or not. He brings up white guilt and that it shouldn't dictate if his client is guilty, and she says, I made a mistake. There are so many people in prison that don't deserve to be there, and she goes, but how do you? And he goes, how do you know Jay Watson is not one of them? And she screams, the one only thing I'm sure of is that your client raped me.
Speaker 3: And she screams and points at him.
Speaker 2: Jay has a lot of facial expressions and emotions and he looks deep into her eyes. Knock, knock to Careesy, it's mister Carter. The client changes mind. He wants a plea, and Creasy's like, well, I got your ass, Like why would I be open to a plea? He says, you can ask him yourself. So Jay walks in head hanging low. Creasy stands up to meet him. Jay walks up, still in court clothing and says, that girl, Natalie, I did what she said. She ain't lying. He really feels bad. Look, I wrote it again. This is such a good epiff.
Speaker 4: It's in the notes.
Speaker 3: It's in the notes. You love it. You love it.
Speaker 1: Lowest on IMDb, highest on Li's dB. I wrote in two compliments, two times. You were like, I can't get over how great this is. But I like this part. Listen, he goes. I took something something I can't give back. It was supposed to be a robbery. But when I saw her.
Speaker 2: My whole life, nobody paid attention to anything I did, not at home, not at school. I always felt kind of invisible. Why would this be any different? What I did to Natalie changed her life forever. So I guess I finally learned my lesson just too late. I guess that's because you thought you would just get away with it.
Speaker 3: You did it. Is that the invisible part.
Speaker 1: No one pays attention to anything I do, so I can just do whatever I want, like rape someone I don't know, I don't know. I guess, yeah, Well, Corisey says, it's never too late to learn. It might be well, he said, you'll do time, but not your whole life, and you still have life ahead of you. Taking responsibility is only the first step. He's you know, Crisey's gonna talk to Natalie and see. I'm sure they'll be fine with it. I hope he does less than ten. Yeah, what are you thinking.
Speaker 3: Ten? He's eighteen, he's eighteen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's a deal, and I think Natalie wants to be involved in it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the minimum is.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want like a rapist to not get the full minimum, but I wonder what this plea would be, and I wish they added it.
Speaker 3: But in my head, I'm like maybe ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christi and Benson walk and talk. He says justice was done, and Benson goes today and then they talk about Maddie and then they head in the elevator. They sigh and that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just feel like this is such a ham fisted, like attempt at talking about racial inequalities in the justice system. Like we've done they've done it in I don't know about better ways, but like more like we've covered other episodes where it's like that have more clearly illustrated the bias and an NYPD and how people get falsely accused and the full like the Simple Shepherd episode, which we haven't done yet, Like the Simple Shepherd episode that was based on Trevon Martin, you know, like they've done other episodes.
Speaker 3: We haven't covered that one yet, so.
Speaker 1: I can't remember how well they handle that, But this one just seems like it Also, it doesn't that feel a little bit white savior to you too, a little bit that these ladies are like maybe we just like won't help with the investigation at all because we're such good people and we'll just like let this person possibly do this to another person, you know, like regardless of like the trauma that this kid has gone through. He went he was in the middle in the commission of another crime, he saw a woman standing there in a bathing suit, helpless and decided to attack her.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Also, if you're in a bathing suit in a dressing room and you hear fucking smash and grab happing outside, in what world are you just like not hiding in a corner, and like why would you come out and be like, wow, a robbery, Like why why would she have even come out like that?
Speaker 2: Seemed crazy? But I don't want to victim blame no, But it's just the thing of being frozen, you know. It's like one of the responses to trauma. And she didn't know what to do. But I would have hoped that I wouldn't leave. But if they entered in, yeah, I don't know. It's like, well, it's also a cultural thing. You know, Black people run, White people say what's going on? Oh, kind of the stereotype.
Speaker 1: Well there is like fight or flight things also like what like people are just different. Also, like my sister and I one time saw this guy, a huge group of people gathered around a guy fighting with a homeless person, and I got involved and my sister was down the block. Like by the time I even looked looked up, like I was like.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Leave him alone?
Speaker 1: And my sister was like at Dwayne read she was like she just like is like I'm not here for that, Like she cannot be in confrontation, you know. So I don't know, but I hear what you're saying, Like it is culturally different in a lot of ways too. But if I'm in a bathing suit, I don't know, I'm at least getting out of the bathing suit if I hear the glass smashing.
Speaker 3: But a wild recap.
Speaker 1: Thank you for taking us through it and it being your favorite episode. I mean, I think honestly, I can't wait to see what episode on SATs this one because it's the number one three.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But it's funny because Intimidation Game was that yeah, was at four point six. Whoa and then Truth Embargo is at four point four out of ten.
Speaker 3: Wow are the ratings.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the crime portion of the program. There is not like an exact crime like this, like like this, I'm gonna talk about smashing grabs, but like there was not a sexual assault that happened during one that is that has been reported. So yeah, and I will say this is all so the first time I've used a Deadline article as a source in when I've.
Speaker 3: Been doing my work. But this episode is based.
Speaker 1: On the trend of flash robberies or flash robs they're calling them, that rocked Southern California in the summer of twenty twenty three aka flash mob Summer as one of the one of the articles I read called it. Group robberies have like always been an issue in southern California, and most of the time it's like high school teen boys like swarming a convenience store and like grabbing a bunch of shit at seven eleven. You know, like that's mostly what the cops have been dealing with.
Speaker 2: I know, in my head, it seemed like, especially in Chicago, it seemed like all the Blue Lives Matter, like conservative type people were all like the smash and grubs, you know, it seemed like not a maybe it was happening, but not as much. And then they just had all these cops swarm downtown Chicago and all these stores and like, so to me, I was hearing about it, but it wasn't like it.
Speaker 1: Was absolutely politicized. Okay, you're correct, it was absolutely politicized, and I will get into that.
Speaker 3: But I thought the same thing.
Speaker 1: I went, these aren't really happening, and they were happening in the city I lived in, so there I remember hearing about these and thinking, but hearing specifically people say, oh, the right is elevating these like they do that illegal immigrants are killing people all the time, when it's actually many like the majority of murders are committed by American citizens, you know what I mean. Like this was like another little passion issue for the right to be like the smash and grabs. But let me get into what was happening first and then we'll get into the politics of it. So the flash robs are much more coordinated and organized than these like seven eleventeen swarm things. Okay, So in twenty twenty three, the Nordstrom at the Tapanga Mall, the eve S Saint Laurent at the Americana and the Glendale which is my mall that I go to, and a pop up Gucci at South Coast Plaza were all targets. There were dozens of smash and grab robberies like this that took place where basically a group of thieves ten to forty people would enter the store, faces covered usually all black, and then grab a ton of expensive items and bolt and like.
Speaker 3: The goal was obviously to overwhelm.
Speaker 1: Security and then they would sell the items online or fence them. And now employees are trained really not to engage or stop the robberies. I also heard something recently which I don't know if it's true or not. I don't know if you've heard this that if you steal something anything in like a Target, a Walmart, a big box store that's under seven hundred dollars, like security is not going to fuck with you, like they're just they've been told to like not engage and get like and have altercations happen because it's just built into what the big box stores are like losing.
Speaker 3: Every year in there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I also heard that like it's illegal to confront, not illegal, but a lot of us won't even confirm they won't confront people. Then you hear about people getting arrested and stuff, but like, yeah, you're supposed to just let people go because it's worse, I think, to accuse someone and then they haven't stolen something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like if someone goes in and gets like a four hundred dollars flat screen, can you just like walk out with that? Like I don't know, it's so like yeah, but this might also be bullshit, Like this one article I'm seeing now says it's actually nine to fifty. I said seven hundred dollars, like under seiling merchandise under nine to fifty is just a misdemeanor, and that there was also this thing called Prop. Forty seven that passed in California to reclassify felony thefts as misdemeanors, but it did not allow shoplifting and petty theft to go unprosecuted.
Speaker 3: But that I'm not really talking about prosecution.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about like the stores basically telling their security people who often don't carry weapons or have really any kind of authority besides a vest that says security. I think they're mostly telling them don't don't go after like just leave it or whatever. So I don't know, I don't know if anyone has any firsthand experience that that if their job telling them that, let us know. So these thieves would be like in and out in minute, and they would use multiple getaway cars, so the police could never get there fast enough and they could never like follow the like the right car, or like know where they were going. A lot of the getaway cars were rented under fake names or something called cold plating. I didn't know that was called when you put on like a stolen license plate. And we did have a license plate stolen off our car in twenty nineteen, and I went to the police and made a report about it. Because I was nervous that someone was going to use our license plate in a crime. So I was like I just need I like brought rosy in in a baby carrier. It was like I need to fill out a report about my missing license plate. So anyway, because they were having a hard time simply getting there on time and even chasing anyone, law enforcement ended up focusing more on cell phone tower pings and other tech tools to narrow down suspects. And the crazy thing about these crimes is that the perpetrators don't always know one another. It's truly kind of like a flash mob, like where they're like be here at this time, you know, on discord, yeah maybe yeah, Like maybe they're Discord. They're on like, they're probably on signal, they're on like encrypted apps maybe WhatsApp, like and they're communicating over social and seeing like you know, here's the plan. But they're not necessarily all childhood friends like the guys in this episode.
Speaker 3: As of early.
Speaker 1: December of twenty twenty three, police in LA were investigating as many as twenty one flash robs, as they called them, and plenty others were going on in neighboring counties. So this is just in La County, and there's plenty going on in other counties. The two biggest heights were at the maholes I visit the most, the Americana in Glendale on August eighth, where they stole three one hundred thousand dollars of merchandise, and the Tapanga Mall in Canoga Park, where my accountant is on.
Speaker 2: They charge them all for that four hundred thousand or just what each of them is found with or do they not find anybody?
Speaker 3: I don't even know. I don't even know how much?
Speaker 1: Is that like how robberies are prosecuted based on the amount of money of something something's worth?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know, I have no idea. I know, I act like I know stuff, and then I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure we have so many like lawyers and stuff, but I guess it's like, yeah, do you get the same.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's obviously petty theft a pack of.
Speaker 1: Gum, as we discussed, But then there's if I go into a mall and I steal fifty thousand dollars worth of purses or I steal two hundred thousand dollars worth of purses. Is there a difference based on the amount of money and like number of things. I don't know, like that's it's also yeah, it's like value is who fucking knows. So at the Tapanga Mall in Kenoka Park on August twelfth, it was one hundred k worth of merch. But because these crimes often take place at big, busy malls, there's also tons of video footage of them, which spreads on TikTok and Instagram.
Speaker 3: There's like lots of photos of these people.
Speaker 2: There's there's security cam, there's people that just like put up their.
Speaker 3: Phones and stuff.
Speaker 1: Again, nothing in the real life cases shows that the guys were ever like videotaping themselves. I don't think that they were trying to get social media famous like the guy in the episode. But I think they are literally just trying to sell the shit and make money. So on August seventeenth, in La of twenty twenty three, a task force was formed between the city and the county Law Enforcement twenty two full time officers from around LA County who could be resources of the local and county level, as well as California Highway Patrols retail theft Unit. We're all working together to try to find these guys now. The district attorney in Orange County, Todd Spitzer, which Orange County I guess in some recent election went blue, but I would say is mostly a more red area. Todd Spitzer tried to turn this political. He accused Karen Bass, the mayor of la and George Gascon, who is our district attorney, for being too soft on crime. And you know, Gascon just got voted out because of all the narratives that he's too soft on crime. Spitzer said he would quote thoroughly investigate and prosecute smash and grab to the fullest extents of the law, which apparently for him, included life sentences for six defendants used of holding customers and employees at gunpoint while stealing more than eighty seven thousand in jewelry from the Jewelry Exchange in Tustin in April of twenty twenty two, the year before this was all going on. So life sentence, A life sentence, is what I'm saying. I mean, that's where it's like again, like I kind of agree with liv It's like, sure, the guy has the laptop, let's not kill a teenager.
Speaker 3: He shouldn't have a laptop.
Speaker 1: I think it's different when we're talking about I don't want to kill a guy that's a rapist either, but I do want to prosecute a guy that's a rapist, you know what I mean, Like I don't want anyone to get murdered for Like that's why Jared and I always have this conversation where like, yeah, if someone enters our house to take our flat screen, it's like take it, Like I'm not going to defend for my property. I don't it's property, like I don't care, you know, Like, so help me carry it out, Yeah, like you yeah, I could get I'll get another one. If this is gonna make it faster, let me open up your trunk. So, two weeks after the formation of the task force, they had arrested fifteen people.
Speaker 3: Like that's the thing.
Speaker 1: These people always get caught, Like they always figure out who they are. Five suspects in the Eaves Sant Laurent case were arrested, according to Glendale Police, and some of the robbers, Like when you look at some of the robberies, some of the robbers just like literally have their sweatshirts pulled up over their mouths, like they're not even they didn't even invest in a mask when they came to this thing. So it's like they're these these are not always like mastermind criminals, you know. And I do kind of think there's a reason people are risking their lot, like their freedom to do this. Guy, Like people are desperate, you know, like for to do these kind of robberies, you know.
Speaker 3: And even though enough.
Speaker 1: Of these, okay, So my thing is even after enough of these happened that SVU had time to script, make and release an episode about it. This episode came out in January of twenty twenty four. In October of twenty twenty four, ten months later, there's another huge one at the Westfield to Panga Mall in Kunoga Park, where there has already been a heist in the summer of twenty twenty three, twelve suspects hit two retailers, stealing about nine hundred thousand worth of stuff, and six people for adults and two juveniles were arrested in connection with the robbery, and the articles I read they were still looking for the other six. The four adults were twenty six, twenty two, nineteen, and eighteen, so the two others were literally probably sixteen and ste like kids, and according to this is just a little bit of statistic about the national you know, the National Retail Security Survey says that shoplifting, theft, and organized retail crime cost businesses ninety four and a half billion dollars nationwide in twenty twenty one, and that organized retail crime such as flash robberies account for about half of that, So you know, that's forty seven billion dollars. Retailers are upping their tech solutions.
Speaker 4: They're getting better.
Speaker 1: Video surveillance systems, facial recognition cameras, license plate readers, radio frequency identification tags, case locks, and they're also training their staff and doing increased security. But they're also pushing legislation to make increase theft penalties and making sharing information against law enforcement agencies easier. Like I I don't care. Yeah, like I really don't. I'm like, I wouldn't even increase the theft penalties. You're always catching them, and there's honestly, I yes, I don't want anyone to be held by gunpoint, but in almost all of these cases, I don't see any physical crime, Like I don't think anyone's being hurt physically psychologically. Of course, it's scary to be there when people are holding guns and robbing a store, of course, but like they're not shooting people, they're not trying to kill people. They're literally just trying to grab shit and go wow.
Speaker 2: And I don't care about business money because at the end of the day, these businesses aren't spending money in the way I like it. They're not like giving maternity leave to people. They're not paying for people's health insurance. They're not there's no there's no benefits. So it's like, I don't care if you lose a ninety something million dollars, Why the fuck would I care?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like Walmart has like doesn't pay enough to or it has like the most employees on food stamps and stuff like that, and government assistant because they don't give them benefits.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and I'm supposed to care that you're that people are stealing from you.
Speaker 3: They do. They do deserve to steal from you.
Speaker 2: And if maybe you guys weren't all so fucking evil, we wouldn't want to steal from you. Maybe if everyone had an affordable way to live, you know, but go fuck yourself. Yeah, happy, I told you, little Esther gave me a fake Louis Vuitton Marikami.
Speaker 1: I've been seeing that in the pictures and I wasn't sure if it was real or not, and I didn't get a chance to act.
Speaker 2: But it's a really good fake. I basically walked into I can't wait and tell you this. So like I went to go meet her baby and I walk in and it's hanging right at the door. You know, I've been talking about this Marikami forever. And I go, oh my god, I can't believe you fucking have I mean, we went to high school together, we have like the same stock, like we both like our tiffany, we like our hugs, like we're very that. And so I was like, I can't believe it. And she goes, that's been waiting for you. She goes, I've been wanting to give this to you. And I go, are you fucking kidding me? And she goes, it's fake. I go, I don't care, and it's given me so much joy, Like I it's the pattern. I like, like, I really don't and I'm glad I didn't spend three thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It's almost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I love telling comics who have no idea about this I'm like they're Olivia Benson where they're like, well, how much is the real one?
Speaker 3: I go three thousand dollars. They're like, oh my god, I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So our friend Jared, he's a pro.
Speaker 2: He said that like the zipper extension is white on mine, and the real one it's beige, and the bottom might be different, but like, I don't think anyone cares. And I've been getting compliments everywhere and it makes me feel alive, Like I just love having.
Speaker 3: It so much. I don't know why I brought it up. Oh because I'm aunt. I love. Yeah, so a thing that.
Speaker 2: Like like they're basically flying in sweatshop employees to Paris and so they could still write that it's made in France, but they are still they're using like bad labor, like still treating people like shit and that like they've been doing tests and the material, like obviously there's an up church for the brand, but you expect some sort of like I went to the store Selene and was looking at their bags and it was like really really beautifully made and like cool, but I don't know, like fuck consumerism, fuck luxury. I'm glad I didn't spend thousands but I do love the way it looks. Yeah, and I'm like skipping around down. I've been wearing it every day every time, and then you paid nothing for it. That's the best. But yeah, hearing about how it's not actually good quality and the quality has gone down, and just watching white Lotus and the government, well, because I guess there's like a video of some creator being like, uh, everyone I know is getting rid of their SOHO house memberships, Like what is going on? And the people are commenting, Yeah, what do you think is going on? I don't know what's going on. Huh. Maybe people don't have thousands of dollars to spend anymore on like a clubhouse, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, whatever.
Speaker 2: I've wanted this bag for forever, and truly I'm here to say having the fake one has given me the same amount of joy.
Speaker 3: I can't. I love that.
Speaker 2: And I don't feel as stressed because yeah, like I think because it's white, I would be very very stressed if it Israel.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, like if anything, like if any anything you use, like, if anything happens.
Speaker 2: To it, that's stressful. If it's worth that much money, you know, yeah, you could buy a full you can truly for three thousand dollars goes to an inclusive resort in Mexico for what like a week?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my god, yeah for three you could do a lot with three thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you why I have multi carrot diamonds, Like I'm not buying a purse. Yeah, but God bless you if that's your thing and that makes you happy and it makes you feel excited. I did buy a necklace to go and watch What Happens live, like I get it. Yeah, yeah, of course, no judgment if you have a y cel bag, they're beautiful. Well, anyway, recently, there hasn't been very much movement on the flash robbery scene, like that this big one from twenty twenty four in October, like which granted is like five months ago, six months.
Speaker 1: Ago, Like, uh, that's the last big one I'm reading about or that I'm seeing any information about. And I think it's probably because like words getting out that like everybody gets caught from these, like everybody gets arrested, so like this isn't really the thing to do.
Speaker 3: So I think as a trend it's going away.
Speaker 1: But I do think it was completely politicized by the right as like this is it's the Wild West.
Speaker 3: And because everybody wants to make all.
Speaker 1: Of the politicians and das who are trying to be more you know, acknowledging the biases in the government, in the in the justice system, they want to make them seem soft on crime and like, look what's happening smashing grabs and it's like okay, a bunch of persons, what missing?
Speaker 3: Or well, how does that affect you? Like how does it? Were you at the rock?
Speaker 2: Like well, yeah, I mean the classic they always show they care more about unless it's the capital, of course of the United States of America. They care about property over people, like they also like the you know, ah, the looting, but it's like they don't care that teens are getting shot by cops. It's like they just care about buildings so much, unless of course the capitol.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Even Like I remember when there was like there were like there was stuff going on downtown in LA and I had a friend with a bar in a restaurant and his bar got his restaurant got like fucked up, and I was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry. He was like it doesn't matter, Like I believe in this has caused like more and I have insurance like I'll be fine, you know, like it's stuff, Like that's stuff. But like the difference I think with this episode is just like that's a crime against someone that is going to affect them for the rest of their life, and we need to at the end.
Speaker 2: Of the day, we have to achnowledge the show is copaganda. And maybe they were trying to be like shut up, you fucking idiots du people that are like wait, and just like they wanted to make it seem like you're a crazy person if you are thinking about like what is gonna happen to a certain persons?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely, but.
Speaker 2: It also bothers me and I get why rape back to this if they were the people that were mad, I.
Speaker 1: Think there's like so many women too that would like don't don't have the privilege to confront their accuser or have the like the justices and even take them seriously or have the chance to you know, I d them and point them out on the stand that it's like, wow, you're just gonna not do this because of like your brother in the pack of gum, Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think not only is that, I think the big issue. That's this is what I was trying to say, but like I lost the fucking words. Was the whole thing is you don't want to ruin a man's life or career this and that it's always like diminishing the lifelong trauma that usually happens from like assault and putting the thing on Like even if it's a young black team, like why you know what I mean, Like they have an unfair shake in the justice system, But why would his future be more valuable than your rape? Yeah, like and your stand wise, he's going to affect your future. Yeah, Like that's where I can see why people would be really like upset by this episode. Yeah, because I think it's a natural thing. And I think that's why people like if they get groped or it's just this or that was just my friend. But I guess I was drunk too, Like I think most women are always trying to like diminish what actually happened, right and like talk themselves out. And because we are meant to care about these rapists, right and because they have kids or because of their job, you know, so.
Speaker 1: You know, I get maybe I guess it's like what is it? Oh, he's a father, he's married, Oh, he's a young guy. It's like, there's always a reason why you're ruining someone's life.
Speaker 3: But they committed a crime.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I will say in my research, I found that this past October in La so past the date of this episode. But there was one of those convenience store flash robberies that was a bunch of teens and a bunch of their parents saw them in the footage and turn their asses in, which I thought was really funny, like all these parents were like, oh no, you're not gonna rob a convenience store and get away with it, like you're taking accountability.
Speaker 3: So they turned them in.
Speaker 1: So but that's that on Smash and Grabs, And I mean, I'm happy to hear that there's not an actual mirrored case to this, but yeah, I feel like the show was definitely running with like the hot button topic of the moment, which at the end of two thousand and three was fucking flash robs or whatever.
Speaker 2: I thank you for two thousand and three, which is lol. Two just now yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, twenty twenty three a break in the The only thing smashing in two thousand and three was smash Mouth everybody A twenty twenty three was Smash Robs and maybe Smash Brothers.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, what's Smash Brothers. I'm Mario or Maria.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you know, I don't know what I'm talking about with that last game I played was basically duck Hunt. Okay, god, Oh, we know we're not We have a guess. We have a guess. Stay tuned, all right. Our guest today is an actor who you've seen on shows like FBI Most Wanted and Elsbeth, one of Lisa's faves, and you know her best from SVU as the victims annoyed girlfriend Brooke Jaffett. Please enjoy our convo with a very delightful Keely Miller. So, for our listeners, you and our producer Casey are old friends.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: How do guys know each other?
Speaker 4: We technically I don't know if we overlapped in undergrad. But my best friend Kristin O'Brien from undergrad, we did theater together. She had two older brothers who were in the film department, and they were friends with Casey like best friends, like their family. So we would all spend like holidays at the O'Briens, and I think we met there and then we ended up almost all of us ended up working for the same restaurant company in La called Jealina. Oh yeah, famous, and so we all, yes, we all did our little venice time. And then Casey started including us in films that he was making, and honestly, it was the greatest honor of my life.
Speaker 3: That's so cool. Yay, well, we love Casey. Wow. From Jack of All to California yep.
Speaker 4: And now New York?
Speaker 3: Did you know Call No Show? What were you up to?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I was never at No Call No Show. I took it way too serious.
Speaker 1: Server Cardinal Sin, Well, let's talk about your star turn on the episode Truth Embarbo Truth Bason twenty five. So this is a very recent You just did this like a year's or a year and a half ago or so I was saying about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like December, I think of twenty twenty three. Uh, it was crazy. I think I got it, like right. My little sister helped me audition for it, like at like eleven pm over zoom on like Thanksgiving or something. And then you find out like two weeks later you know got it, and then you're shooting and it was the middle of winter. I had one hundred and two degree fever on the first day that I had to go shoot, and I like took a COVID test, so I was like, I know, I don't have COVID, but I you know, I'm I'm It's the beginning of my career. So I was like, can I possibly get a car to set? I'm really sick, And they were like, my reps are like, don't tell anyone, don't tell anyone that you're that sick, and just can you get there? I was like sure, you know, so you're like taking the train in the middle of winter, like all your stuff. I'm like And then thankfully, the first day I shot was all courtroom scenes and I didn't take the stand, so I was just sitting there reacting. Next I think my first scene was Kevin Kane was sitting next to me, and I was like sweating bullets, like I was just like wet, like just like come and like in the all the wrong ways, like just like just like sweating profusely and trying to be friendly at the same time, you know, it's like your first day and I'm like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, but he kept playing into the character she's you know, had a familial trauma that's happened with her wife.
Speaker 2: So you're just upset and sweating. Did you end up chatting or mostly sweating?
Speaker 4: Tried to do both at the same time. Yeah, we ended up chatting a little. Everyone was really friendly and then and then the next scene I had Murshika next to me, and that was, you know, nerve wracking in and of itself and just trying to be friendly and chatting and sweating and oh.
Speaker 3: My god, what a tough day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so bizarre. And then it got better as the week went on, because I started feeling better. But I think there's kind of a weird thing that happens, like when you're that sick, you can't really think about the acting, like if you're any good or not. So I probably did the better work on the days that I was really sick, and and as I got better, I was like, my work is getting worse. So, you know, you just get into your head in a way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you are like this hot young couple. What's you and your on screen wife get along?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What, how were you guys married already or engaged? No, we were engaged engaged.
Speaker 3: She was buying a bathing Suitingney.
Speaker 4: Was buying a bathing honeymoon. Yes, yes, no. She was absolutely lovely and just a pro and and very friendly in.
Speaker 1: Your apartment, gorgeous as was well off killing it.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh I didn't. I mean, that's the funny thing is, like you there's not a lot of like chit chat of like collaborate. You know.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: It's a machine. So you like show up and you're like they've made decisions about your character and you go with them. And we walked in on that day it was like in Gramercy Park and I was like, oh, we're rich, like we do very well, Like, okay, this is amazing.
Speaker 3: Right now? Are you indeed? Casey said you're in DC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm in DC.
Speaker 3: Will you tell us about scenarios?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yes I will. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: It's a world premiere play by Matthew Koppo Di Casa Who, and it's about the I still yet to find a sustaining twin describe this. But the police do crisis intervention trainings, and so it follows the kind of craziness that happens in police intervention trainings and the resistance and they bring in like actors to do it. So it's it's billed as a comedy, but it's also, you know, pretty intense in terms of the subject matter.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is crazy. My husband knows him. Wait what my husband knows Matthew Kappo de Casa. He does like glass Cannon stuff like role playing games with this. Now we're called glass Canon Podcast. Yeah, And I was like, how do I know that name? Like that's like a not a normal like a common name. And I just googled it and was like, oh, glass Canon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's why funny the world is tiny? How long is that running in DC four till April sixth? All right, so as when this episode comes out, people.
Speaker 2: Will still have time an eight show a week schedule or what's it like? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, yeah, h shows a week.
Speaker 1: This episode comes out five days before you close, so everybody go see it.
Speaker 4: Everybody comes to the scenarios at Studio Theater. You got five days.
Speaker 2: You're actually in a one of my favorite shows, El Smith. I am a weekly viewer of El Smith. I feel you Yeah, I feel like I finally have aged because I'm watching a CBS show.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 3: I like?
Speaker 4: It really does hit a certain age demographic, doesn't it. That's that's true. What do you love about Elsbeth?
Speaker 3: Because oh, I'll tell you so.
Speaker 2: I like that it's like crime, but that it's like like you know what you like, you know that she'll figure it out, and it's like kind of a little kooky, and the guests actors are all so good and the scenarios are fun, but you're not really stressed because you actually know what happened and you know she's gonna, you know, solve it. And then this season, who's the guy from Evil? She's married to Michael Emerson. Oh, yes, so he is now this long arc story and it's kind of like suspenseful as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he came in right and after he was there, I met him, like he was kind of coming on set to like check things out. So I think that that was like maybe in the works or something right before I left, And he was so friendly and lovely. And Carrie is just incredible and like a comedic genius. Yeah, she's she's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's just so likable.
Speaker 1: Like that's kind of also in the Secret to Elsbeth because like there's a couple of other shows that are kind of doing the Colombo thing, you know, and yeah, hers is.
Speaker 3: Like feels like people are really attached to it. I feel like it's her.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only thing that annoys me is every week there's a new adversary who doesn't believe in her, but she has solved every case every week, so it's like, even if you don't like her, I guess she's doing a good job. So I'm like, why does everyone keep fighting her? Doesn't make sense. It's the patriarchy. She doesn't sing it, but you're We're there with Pamela Adlin, who I'm my.
Speaker 4: Fan of me too, and she, yeah, she was incredible. We had it was one of those episode and Laura ban Anti and Jack Davenport. It was wild because we had so much downtime together and like, I feel like this, I mean, I'm very early career, so but I've heard this doesn't really happen in more as often, where everyone kind of like goes to their own trailers or kind of like does their own thing in between. But because we were shooting in this restaurant, they had us all held in the same like other section of the restaurant together, and so we became this kind of like I don't know, Motley Crue of different like time like timelines in our careers and Jack Dave Import and Pamela Adlon were just like going back and forth sharing all their stories. You know, they were like, you know this in the straight kind of like, and us young actors were like, oh my gosh, like tell us everything, and they really took us under their wing and they were hilarious and incredible. And Pamela is just a hoot and so funny and so welcoming. You know, she like knew everyone's names on set like and just was just a hilarious time. And she there was like something she she kept calling Carrie Preston the Daniel d Lewis of of comedy, and it was just really like method like method, no, yeah, not method, but like just just top tier. She was like, this is the my.
Speaker 1: Left foot, Like okay, it was really it was really rich.
Speaker 4: It's really good.
Speaker 1: That's great. Back to your SVU. You got to face off with Iced Tea a little bit too. You like sass him and he goes, I'm sorry, Like you know, we just like never hear him go I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. I don't even remember that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I'm so glad you wrote that down.
Speaker 2: I kind of laughed when he said that it is a powerful moment because we just we love that, yeah, where he stands on what else? I mean?
Speaker 1: Did you have any little funny run ins after you've started feeling better.
Speaker 4: After the fever? No, it was just such an interesting episode to watch because they were still tinkering with the script like on on set as they do, but like there were just some things that I you know, I think that they were trying to figure out how to how to make the story work. And the director was actually I found out he directed the pilot episode of SVU, so him and Marishka like knew each other from way back, and which was insane.
Speaker 3: That is wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was like, oh, we're we got some svo history here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we love to hear that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, isn't that fun? And then the scenes with Marishka like were you know, I She's amazing and she's incredible at like just she can be talking to somebody or like on the phone and then drop right in and like a second and like oh whoa, Like it's incredible. And I was doing a couple of takes in the court room and at one point she because she will jump in a couple of times, like with the actors to kind of play with them. And she was like, I think, let's let's try one where you just really give it to me, just lay into me.
Speaker 3: And I was like, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: She's like, yeah, let's let's have you like maybe start to walk away and then take a beat and then whip around and just give it to me.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yay.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, sure. Uh So that was that was a little nerve wracking, you know, because she's she's such a force and and it's her show, you know, so you're like, I'm here for the week and I don't want to you turn around and just give it to her.
Speaker 3: And she was like, that's we got it. Okay, that's so exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The director of that episode was Jean de segone Zac, the one who we just talkedalked about these at resent.
Speaker 2: I know, but I was thinking, when I say his name, but who are we talking about that with?
Speaker 3: Was it Donell or David Keith? And what was it? I don't remember when we were just talking about him.
Speaker 2: Right now, he's done fifty five episodes of the show, fifty he's directed fifty five episodes of US and someone just had a story about him and truly, I don't retain any information, like I guess, but he does.
Speaker 1: I FBI most wanted you what you've been on? Right, Like he's been like he does all the Dick Wolf stuff. This time he did bloodline.
Speaker 4: Do he's a bloodline? A couple episodes?
Speaker 3: Episodes? What was your what? What's what's your plan? After DC? You're going to head back to New York.
Speaker 4: Go to head back to New York and hope for the best. You know, I'm it's it's still early career, so there's the moment where you know, you just don't know what's coming right next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and but the good news is that on your IMDb one of the first photos that comes up underneath like is you and Marishka sitting on a bench together.
Speaker 3: And that's a pretty classic. That's pretty pretty cool.
Speaker 4: It very much felt like it's a it's very much a New York kind of moment, you know, like it's because it's been you know, obviously it's your podcast. Like every actor, it feels like, has done an episode of that. So it feels really kind of like as a right of passage.
Speaker 2: That's what I's a huge deal. Wait, what is this foot now that I'm on your IMDb on these photos? What's this mother's instinct?
Speaker 3: This hat? These polka dots? What is this? Oh?
Speaker 4: That was a film I did with Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chestain where they are like, it's kind of like in this style of you know what happened to Baby Jane, They're like, it's a psychological thriller with these two mothers, and it was a wild I'm a couple of a couple of great times with Anne Hathaway and yes, a little while ago with her it was.
Speaker 3: The best as our generator princess.
Speaker 4: She really is, And it took everything and me not to first just blurt out like I love you and the Princess Diaries, like okay not and like I love you know, and then I was like, you can't say Princess Diaries as the first thing. It's just gonna feel embarrassing. But yeah, she was lovely and we gone along great and super welcoming. We like chatted all things, you know, nerdy actor stuff like vocal technique because she had just finished doing what was the name of the show that she did with Jared Leto.
Speaker 3: Oh the one about like was that the we work one that they did.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, yes, yes, And she had just finished doing that, so we were talking about like how she changed her voice for that. We talked about vocal technique and school and whatnot, and the highlight of my life might have been after we like finished the day and we had been kind of chatting on and off, and she was very welcoming and engaging, and at the end she was like, can I take your phone number so that we can like chat all things, you know, vocal stuff in the future or whatever. And I, you know, was like beside my and she was like, I don't keep my phone on me, so my security lady is going to take it in her phone, but you know, we'll take and I was like, yeah, totally, you know. And after I left, I was like, what just happened? Right, Like, Anne Hathaway has my phone number, but she never you know, and she never reached out, and I, you know, so the story kind of is anti climactic in that way, because when I would tell anyone, they're like, oh, my gosh, you know did and I was like, no, no, she has my phone and I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't have a way of getting in touch with her.
Speaker 4: I can't get in contact with her. But it was it was a good time and the period costumes were incredible and super fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks like a really cool show. It looks beautiful.
Speaker 4: It was stunning and it was in sixties so and I was pregnant, so there was like heavy silicon belly that I had to wear in the middle of summer. It was It's a good.
Speaker 3: Time, Killie. This was so fun to chat with you. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Definitely we'll send our DC girls and guys to go see scenario.
Speaker 4: I would love it and I would love it. Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I liked that she was She was like, why do you like al Smith? She was cool. I loved I liked her so many stories.
Speaker 2: I just like the people that have the details, you know, like people that care about all this is much as we do. It's like nice to talk to people with the details.
Speaker 1: Yes, and our first guest that we got courtesy of Casey. So Casey, keep bringing us in your your contacts and your friends. Uh.
Speaker 3: But yeah, she was really cool and.
Speaker 2: And a wild episode. Yeah, slash best of all time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm so like, now I'm on alert, Like you guys have to let us know if anything drops below this episode on IMDb, not like IMDb is suddenly like the Rotten Tomatoes. But I guess for TV shows, that's the closest you can get to like rating something per episode is the IMDb. So yeah, definitely let us know if anything drops. But yes, truth embargo has dethroned intimidation game and I was so happy that we've been able to cover both of these classics insta classics. But yeah, in terms of a post mortem smash and grab robberies, I feel like we're a moment in time.
Speaker 3: They're not really happening that much anymore.
Speaker 1: And and people kind of found out that when you work with a lot of people there, you open yourselves up to way more mistakes and they're all you're you're all going to lead each other to each other.
Speaker 2: And everyone got busted, so you know, and the phones of it all. I mean, now with the phones, it's like planning travel. How many burner phones? What do you delete? Like, I wonder how quickly. I mean, we're already on a police A lot of people's citizens are non citizens, like people in this nation are dealing with.
Speaker 3: But I wonder how quick we all will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm on signal. I'm on signal to order mushrooms for my mushroom lady. And I hope I don't get invited into a full war plan at any point.
Speaker 3: You know, that would be wild. H Have they even said why he got acted?
Speaker 2: So they're denying it. They're saying it didn't happen. He has screenshots, you guys. Yeah, but they're just like, no, I didn't do that. What are you talking about? That didn't happen. Oh I thought somebody. I thought they said it was confirmed at one point, but of course it's confirmed. Of course it's confirmed. But like that's somebody on their side.
Speaker 1: But it's like like at least it's like, oh, we were trying to add in so and so, but we added in the thing that the.
Speaker 3: Know this, you know, that's what fu But it's.
Speaker 1: Also funny that it's the Atlantic because he hates the Atlantic. He hates the Atlantic more than like any publication. And so it's so funny that it's that one that they added in.
Speaker 2: Like saw two separate things where like this is all just online stuff where one person I saw, I was like, well, why did you wait a whole week at Like you had to wait till they bombed ym into fucking post about it and then someone else goes I would have stayed in that group chat for a year or like months, like see what happens. So yeah, you know, just two sides of whatever. But however it happened. This is like insane. The fact that they're not like, but he's the head of the defense and they're in charge of all the like the fact that he's not in jail for espionage and like whatever other charges and in jail for life is insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: To go back to me on stage, and it's like I told the people, I'm like, well, we have freedom seat for now.
Speaker 3: For now.
Speaker 2: I could say whatever the fuck I want and I go and I've made you laugh enough and at the end of the day, if you were cool, you could be up here too. But I get to do whatever the fuck I want because I don't think it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be for long. Yeah, I really don't.
Speaker 2: I bet in like within six months, someone could complain that sees me and I could be like fucking taken, Like I don't know I mean, I really do if people are being sent away and their phones are being searched at the borders, like I don't. Yeah, they just they're they're they're holding a college student who's been living here since she was seven because they found her test.
Speaker 1: I heard they were like looking for her. Oh I thought she was detained. But fucking it's scary out there. But uh, California, Oregon, and Washington have been invited to join Canada though, and I think we should accept. Wait for real, some the I think the new Prime Minister said something like, yeah, California, Washington, Oregon, why don't you guys come up and join us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Oregon and Washington. But the thing is, all of our cities are like all those states are hillbillies around the city.
Speaker 3: There's plenty. Yeah, in California, it's all right.
Speaker 1: We drive two hours outside of LA it's Trump flags anywhere everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they showed how like the population of New Jersey is like all of the mountains all those like.
Speaker 3: Yeahana, Idaho.
Speaker 2: Like it's just it's nuts. We let it go too long. We didn't help black people fast enough. I mean, at the end of the day, our comforts let us like not give a fuck about minorities in this country, and now we're all gonna be treated and the way minorities have been and.
Speaker 3: We deserve it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly what the couple from this show was trying to get across, you know, that's exactly what the lesbians in this episode we're trying to get everyone to realize.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well because I get where they're coming from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's stupid. Yes, the way that it's framed is dumb.
Speaker 3: Is dumb.
Speaker 1: The other words, there's other ways it could have been done, and they've done it better in other ways, you know what I mean, Like they've done this this like kind of thing better, they've done white guilt better. This one it's bad. But I was also just going to say to bring it right back to su really quick. I mean, never forget this is the the Hygienic Liner episode.
Speaker 3: I mean the Hygienic Liner.
Speaker 1: Never has there been a funnier Benson light bulb moment when she's like, I've got it, the hygienic Liner, Like I just usually it's like her knowing a brand, her knowing something about about something that maybe men don't know about. And this is like the top men. Do you even know about a hygienic liner? You cannot call yourself an ally until you do. And it solved the case. The hygienic liner solve the case. But anyway, let's move into what would Sister Peg do? This is our weekly segment where we direct you towards a book, an article, a organization, something to give you more information or let you help. Regarding what we talked about in today's episode this week, I kind of we were sort of talking about like the woman's reaction to the victim's reaction, like when she walks out and sees the flash mobers, and it was making and I think we also talked about this in last week's episode, the fight or Flight, And I found this article on simply psychology called fight, Flight, Freeze, or fawn How we respond to threats, And I just thought it was like an interesting article that identifies all these responses. And I think people forget a lot of times about fawn, like how you'll get overly like agreeing with your with your like the perpetrator and stuff, And there's a lot of psychology to like why you go into one of these modes. So this article goes in depth about why these responses get triggered, how to cope with them. So I thought it was interesting, and that's at simplypsychology dot org. And that will be linked obviously in our show, and we'll be out in a story the day that this episode comes out, and then we save all of those stories in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram. So if you're ever feeling like, oh, I've got a couple bucks and I want to give it to some organization, you can just page through our WWSPD highlights and see what you know, what you're drawn to, and thank.
Speaker 3: You for that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, because you always think you'll be ready, but you don't know how you're gonna act, and then you feel guilt and you shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Totally life is hard.
Speaker 2: Next week Exile, Season twenty, episode six. Join us. We're obsessed with all of you. Stay strong, fight the fight, but stay safe.
Speaker 3: Bye, guys.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us, or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us in email it That's messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio, App, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 3: At Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dut dun