Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode con taste light spoilers for Stranger Things season one to three, but more so, it's an exploration of the impact of Stranger Things and Netflix on streaming.
Speaker 1: Hello. My name is Rosie Night and I'm Joan Monique.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to X ray Vision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. We are here at iHeart Podcast, where we'll be bringing you three episodes a week plus news news.
Speaker 3: Do I sound like a Grumlin today?
Speaker 1: I do that too? Sometimes something it's got to be.
Speaker 3: It's the plus plus news. I love it. Oh gosh, guys, we have such an exciting show for you today. We are going to be talking about the way Stranger Things has impacted the culture. All Right, maybe you weren't there, maybe you don't remember. Possibly we're doing lots of drugs between now and then. You know, we don't know your life, but we want to revisit it, and honestly, good for you. Okay, you're surviving. We get it. So we had to talk about the history. We're gonna talk a little bit about the five big moments that shaped and changed us, and then we're gonna talk about the future of the precious babies who were given to us unto us through this show. So yeah, here we go. First, let's talk about the history now. Before we started recording Rosie, we were talking about our different experiences coming into Stranger Things. Yes, what was yours in England? Because it was different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Netflix didn't really exist in the same way in England. Netflix did not have the massive known quantity effect of being a DVD by male company, though I will say I do if I'm not mistaken, I do believe there may.
Speaker 1: Have been a small.
Speaker 2: Version of that in the UK, but we were generally not able to watch Netflix until I would say, like the early early zeros, Like I'm actually, wow, guys, I'm learning so much about Netflix right now and my own memory of my life because actually Netflix was not.
Speaker 1: Launched in the UK until.
Speaker 2: Like twenty twelve, so I was actually, yeah, twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was crazy wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, love love that, And that was like six years after Netflix had already sent out like a billion DVDs or something, you know, like they were so established, but we didn't really know what they were. But yeah, twenty twelve was that big thing. And then you know, a year later you get first Netflix original, so for us and for its perception in Europe, it comes as a streaming service boom, and then you get House of Cards and then you get Stranger Things. So I think for me, like I was not a big Stranger I mean, I wasn't a big House of Cards head at that time. So I think for me, I really have such a distinct memory of like Netflix Stranger Things. The Stranger Thing logo is red, the Netflix logo is red, Like they're so intertwined for me, and like I think, I mean, we were just watching Stranger Things on Netflix on my friend's computer, you know, in her house, and yeah, I just I really remember it. It felt so definitive to me that Stranger Things in Netflix were were kind of forever connected in my cultural mind. How was it for you, because obviously Netflix was like established in the late nineties, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Netflix is birthed in ninety seven. I would say it catches on by like oh four, Like that's my recollection. My recollection is uh and O four. I'm in high school. I remember my dad signing up and being like, there's this DVD delivery service that's really dope. We should check it. Out. We have access to all these DVDs of movies we have never seen. That's great. What I remember when I got to college, it was sort of a revelation because before Netflix, all you have our cable or your local antenna, but antenna stopped being produced on TVs, and also cable became completely outpriced for like a college like it was, there was no winning. And then here comes Netflix, and if I remember correctly, we played like five ninety nine for Netflix. Maybe you know that's easy to split between like four roommates in a two bedroom and now we have TV magically and we love it. And back then Netflix is mostly movies, so they don't really they're not into their TV getting bad yet. So that's how I remember sort of coming into Netflix now twenty six teams.
Speaker 2: Actually, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why I thought Stranger Things came out earlier than twenty sixteen, but it's premiere to Age July fifteenth, twenty sixteen. So now I'm firmly established in Los Angeles. I've moved on from Chicago, and from what I can remember of those early days of Stranger Things, I remember both that we were coming toward maybe the apex of the eighties renaissance at this point, right and stranger things. For some was like this too on the nose, we hate it? Why is it so eighties and in your face annoying? I think the rest of the world was like, this is awesome, Like it's giving nostalgia fuel. The D and D Nerds were like, we are seen and heard and respected. The lore taken so seriously and with such great vibrato. And I think what really moved the needle for me was like, whenever you cast as many children, it's almost impossible to get solid performances out of all of them, and there's not really a weak acting link in the bunch. Yeah, you're able to believe and follow these kids. Their adventures feel emotionally grounded and yet still accessible to young children. They can enjoy it as an old person, like it's really a four quadrant series. You want to watch it with everybody, from the bicycle chase scenes to the demogorgans to just like the basement, like playing in like that whole, Like if you I hung out in a lot of basements going. I grew up in the Midwest Tornado alley, so we were always in a basement. Uh, and I just like the nostalgia feels all of it was really hitting, especially early on. What we didn't know was that there would be ages, sometimes centuries, it would feel like, between seasons, and that's had a real impact on the series. How do you think the series has been sort of impacted both are exs on how long between seasons and our ability to carry over from season to season and continue on with the show.
Speaker 2: Well, I would definitely say that I think most of us who cover TV, you know, this show was released the.
Speaker 1: Same year that I moved out to America.
Speaker 2: Actually, wow, yeah, I know, I'm realizing that now. It's just kind of crazy, and I just have such a distinct memory of like it was such a nostalgic Yeah, Like, we definitely.
Speaker 1: Could tell it was very tropy.
Speaker 2: We were like noticing all the you know, homages, let's put them in comment like quote marks, because there's a lot of ripping off going on too. But like, but you know, it immersed us. It was something fun, It was something that felt really unique to what was coming out on TV at the time. It felt very streaming, and I think that ironically has kind of still been shaping what we expect from these companies. And the companies have used that as a way to change the format, the shape, the amount of episodes. Stranger Things is an incredible TV show, but you know, over nine seasons it will you know, barely have if you can believe it, actually less than fifty episodes. There will only be forty two episodes of Stranger Things by the time, Wow, see the whole series comes to an end. And that is extremely different to what we have seen in the past. As we know, like shows you'd like Riverdale was one of the last shows we'll probably ever get that would get a twenty two to twenty five episode run, and.
Speaker 1: It was some of the craziest stuff you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: And that was coming out every single year with Stranger Things because it was a massive success. It was a very different kind of TV show. It wasn't a one camera drama show. It wasn't a prestige style TV show. It was a huge genre show with a massive budget and special effects. Suddenly they had to make a follow up, and I think I think that because they were so new in the game, the follow up took a longer time, and then that started to establish. I mean, when this show first came out, I had just left working in a comic bookshop. That was my main career. By the time season three came out, I was a professional journalist who was able to visit the set of season three in Atlanta.
Speaker 1: So just that that is a long time.
Speaker 2: It was a long time that was not a short period of time. But like that set up a new expectation from these shows. It also set up something which I think is one of the biggest impacts of this show, you know, not particularly positive one, but definitely a true one, which is the way that the series utilized branding and I am assuming many many product placement deals to finance itself. Means that Stranger Things was able to use brands as nostalgia and was able to then be selling Stranger Things branded Eggos, Stranger Things branded seventies or eighties cover KitKat, like, there were so many different things. And obviously that has gone way beyond that now to the point where now you have you know, Stranger Things X Teenage Mutant Ninja, Turtles, action figures, and you have Demo Gordon plushes and Target and stuff. So it ended up becoming a brand in of itself, but a lot of that, Yeah, no, at the nostalgia of other brands, and then they use that to turn themselves into a sellable nostalgia brand. And now, because it's taken nine years, there are kids who feel nostalgic about season one.
Speaker 3: Mind blowing bananas. I think there's no better example of that than D and D. And what we've seen coming out like watching these kids play D and D ignited a desire to learn about D and D in me. I mean genuinely went to my friend's place and was like, how come we're not playing DND? Does that make sense to you? Because we like all Oh absolutely, we love building, we love storytelling, we love creating a character. Ask me how long I spend creating characters and video games I've never finished. I love crafting. And I think there's the reason D and D is where it's at today is because of what happened with Stranger Things. So yeah, the impact absolutely cannot be denied. We're gonna go to break real quick, and when we come back, we're gonna talk about the five most impactful moments from Stranger Things to stay and we're back. Oh my god, he recapping that show is so weird. I've been revisiting it as we prepare you and Jason have a lovely season four recap coming up. I've been trying to refamiliarize myself with the show and the number of iconic moments, and we should say it was interesting earlier you were talking about the time between shows. So like season one premier July fifteenth, twenty sixteen, then October twenty seventeen we get season two. It is then two years later in twenty nineteen, again back in July we get season three. Season four comes out May twenty seventh, twenty twenty two. So there will be four years and.
Speaker 1: Some yeah, difference then, yeah, and then four years now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's uh, it's daunting. Yeah, three years. I I what is math? Guys, please don't judge me. I'm sort of blown away by the moments. I think, you know, running up that hill is one that everyone kind of remembers.
Speaker 2: I actually think for me, I would say that's probably the defining scene of the show now, just culturally, I think I've I was talking to Jason, I was like, basically, here is what you see in the garden of every fancy person in La They have a floating max. They still do, and it's an incredible thing. It looks incredible and that is like decorations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have them all over.
Speaker 2: And they're so great, and I think that to me is taken over from say the Four Bikes, and in its own way, it's actually pretty cool because it is more unique than necessarily the four Bikes, which was very much homage to your etis and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I want to shout out.
Speaker 2: It's something that I know people have been skipping in their rewatches.
Speaker 1: Guys.
Speaker 2: I know you've been doing this and that is acceptable, but I have been in there arguing the goodness of In season three, there was a very maligned episode where Eleven goes to Chicago and she goes and it is essentially an adventure where she ends up finding out that she has a lost sisters that it's episode seven, and she finds Carli, who is number eight, and it is legitimately fantastic.
Speaker 1: It's basically a really brilliant teen X Men episode, and at the time people.
Speaker 2: Just did not get it, and you know why, because they don't like a story that's just about Eleven. It has to be in the context of the men in her life. It has to be Hopper, it has to.
Speaker 1: Be the boys.
Speaker 2: But here she gets to go have her own existence, find her sister, have this found family kind of realization that then inspires her to allow her to save Hawkins and her friends because she understands the importance of friends, She understands the importance of found family.
Speaker 1: I thought it was super cool. It's really punky everyone.
Speaker 2: When it came out. Oh, I think the Lost Sister goes in the top five because I think it's we get a story that's actually just about eleven. It's not about eleven in Henry Creole, It's not about eleven and her shit head dad. It's not about eleven ship that she had second dad. Hot, but it's not about.
Speaker 3: It's about eleven and Mike.
Speaker 1: It's just about it's not about eleven relationship.
Speaker 3: I obnoxious, if not very honest about what if you find a romantic interest at that age? So obnoxious mostly sometimes okay, can sweet.
Speaker 2: So those are so far we've got running up that hell and then we've got I'm doing the Lost Sister.
Speaker 3: What's your third My sister is so bold, Rosie so bold, dude.
Speaker 1: I know I'm gonna put it in.
Speaker 2: Then I'm gonna tell everyone you better be watching it, Guys, I'm gonna make an infographic and put it on Instagram and saying.
Speaker 3: Wow, I should threaten you. Uh, then let me also threaten you with a good time. His name is Joseph Quinn. In this show, he plays Eddie Monthson, Bass got long hair, and he shreds on guitar, and he's friends with all of the losers. You'd want to be his best friend. After watching this show, good kid labeled bad misunderstood because he wants to be a punk in the eighties and people don't get it. But he's actually the most golden hearted teddy bear. Joseph Quinn jumping in made me care again. Yeah, I think I'm back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Most of our extra vision coverage of season four at the time when it came out was us talking about the impact of Eddie Munson. There has been a lot of talk about whether or not he's coming back. They denied that he is coming back this season, but I feel like he at least we at least have to get a vision of him, especially now we understand the way that Vecna is connected to the upside Down and the way that it seems like there are other people who are trapped in the upside down.
Speaker 1: Who can be possessed or maybe possessed other people.
Speaker 2: So I feel like we're gonna at least get like a demo organ version of Eddie.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. And let me just pause right here to do a couple of honorable mentions because I don't want our list to be too thirsty. I just we have to have some containedness. So I'm gonna also, uh, Steve in the ice cream suit, what was half? It was crazy? Shnany I was like, this is the most adorable like moment if I can borrow a for as from two thousand and eight, just really cute moment. I also think when we found out Vecna was weirdly hot, when we were like, Jamie Campbell Bauer is playing Vecna, what's under that makeup? For real? Truly a moment for us. And then I would also finally just end sorry to be all white men in this space, but Sean Aston out here representing for the big guys. We love him. He's such a game. When we talk about our golden hearted Teddy bears, none better, none better than a man who laid down his life for his friends. We love Bob Nuby and see, I just wanted to sneak a couple of honorable mentions of some of my favorites. Oh, I dude, in this show.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's so many there's so many great things and stranger things. I mean, just my fav I do think that when they introduced Max in season two, they really did expand the old of Eleven and having the idea of its starting off with jealousy but then actually ending off is like a friendship and the evolution of that friendship and allowing Eleven to have a female friend in the way that kind of evolves in season three and season four. I think that's actually like a really powerful good choice they made, even though it's not necessarily like the again, like it's is that like the most thing most people are gonna remember at the end.
Speaker 3: Nobody was absolutely not an essential choice necessary so that we don't hate the show, because honestly, because the only other option that is to make them enemies or to have no other girls on the show. You know, we have the little Sisters and they're fun, but let's be honest, they haven't had much of an arc. You know, there's not a lot for them to do. Even our girl Erica Sinclair played by Prior Ferguson, who I think is like an incredibly talented actor.
Speaker 1: They're so good together. Two, they're so funny.
Speaker 3: They're so funny. I really hope Ericauld it's more to do in the coming season two. But yeah, okay, we have one final place. I think we should choose it together for our top five. What do we think is ahead?
Speaker 1: Is it just the first episode?
Speaker 2: Like I feel like if the I feel like if the pilot didn't hook people so much, Like we know, a lot of shows on Netflix don't get past people pressing play on the first episode. So I do think when I think of Stranger Things, and I think of eleven with her little shaved head and her little you know, hospital outfit, which, by the way, we should probably put in there is like one of the most influential Halloween costumes of all time that had every the world in a choke hold for like five years.
Speaker 3: If we did see so many Elevens early on, absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so, like I wonder if it is just the first episode. Joelle pitched me your final spot in our top five.
Speaker 3: Okay, and hear me out. We're so feminist. I love our No. One else will come up with the women some hot eyes. Anyway, Uh my pitch is the death of Barb because to me, the internet discourse was so we're talking like Twitter's booming in twenty sixteen, it's fabulous. We truly were not appreciative of what we had at the time, and Barb's death like killing off the ugly friend off like annoying, frustrating, the lack of care consideration most of the characters had for her afterwards, like it really was a point, and then the fact that we get barely like they kind of get justice for Barb in season two, but it's ish, is it?
Speaker 1: And I don't know, Yeah, I think you win.
Speaker 2: I actually think you could argue that the death of Bob is the most culturally impactful thing for a Stranger Things because actually, guess yes, who was at the Stranger Things season five premiere Shannon Purser. It was Shannon Purson aka bab Bob, who was styled by the incredible Sophie Strauss, who I love, who I feel I didn't pay this, She's just amazing, and Sophie styled her as like Daddy Bob, so it.
Speaker 1: Was incredible, hot black outfit. She looked incredible.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that's because maybe we'll get Bob in the upside down, or maybe we'll learn something more about Bob. But if not, I do also feel like it launed Shannon Purser's Korea, you know, Riverdale, specifically. Roberto Aguaya Sakasa like wrote a character in for her. Like she has become a legend in her own right kind of. You know, it's like when, yeah, when John Travolta, you know, accidentally said Idina Menzel's name was Adele Desim. She said, in a way, you know, it was kind of the best that ever happened to because suddenly everyone knew who she was. And even though they the Duffer brothers were wrong to kill Bob, Shannon is now, you know, life of the party. She was in Riverdale right till the very end. I love to see her in Riverdale makes me so happy. Wish Upon really actually just crazy haunted wish Box Slash a movie which I loved.
Speaker 1: Sarah Burgess is.
Speaker 2: A loser, like she's she's doing the stuff. We need to get her more roles. But yeah, I mean the fact that she's still there nine years later.
Speaker 1: It's like they had to bring her back like she was harm from Fast and the Furious.
Speaker 2: Justice for Barb finally and wait, Eddie Munson, Justice for Bob. Bob team up in the upside Down to save the kids. It's two fan services, but I would love.
Speaker 1: To see it.
Speaker 3: It's the final season. When are you gonna get to service again? This is it?
Speaker 1: The five of us? Yes, yeah, go for it. I was gonna say the same thing as you.
Speaker 3: A great Okay, we have to go to break right now. Please listen to these ads. We'll be right back. How are those ads? How's your finger? Did you hit the button too fast? We're glad you're back. Thank you for being here with us and our Shenanigans. Okay, Stranger Things presented us with so many great new talents. Some are nipple babies, some were plucked from far Afield, some of them are older. Some of them are exquisitely talented in some beautiful gowns. What do we think exactly the future holds for the children. Let's start with our bright spots. Let's Sadie sink to the front.
Speaker 2: Please, I would say, Sadie sinc She's the only one thus far that has been at the center of a very successful Oscar winning film that we won't name because like, why do we need to?
Speaker 3: It wasn't the right to talk about it.
Speaker 1: But she is incredible. She's a fantastic actress.
Speaker 2: I think she's really coming out of this as the Christen's Seer Rob Pattinson type. She makes interesting choices, she's extremely cool. Obviously we already touched on Shannon. Are other iconic redhead from this series, Millie Bobby Brown. Look is she gonna be out here winning an Oscar? Probably not far.
Speaker 1: I think she is a really fun action heroine, and.
Speaker 2: I love for her that she now has her Netflix kind of grandfather in contract where every Soften she gets to make a really expensive movie where she is an action star in it and hopefully makes a ton of money.
Speaker 1: I love that for her. I would love to get to see.
Speaker 2: Her fronting, you know, an original sci fi franchise, something, you know, a kin to a New Terminator, maybe outside of the Netflix space that can be a bit pretty, a bit more cinematic.
Speaker 1: But I love that for her. I love that she is now married.
Speaker 2: To John Boniov's son, and she has a kid, and she has a farm. You know what, she saw it for life and she should be because the show basically ran for the first few seasons just simply off the fact that people knew eleven, loved eleven, and that they had kind of made a gene gray for a new generation.
Speaker 1: So she deserves it.
Speaker 2: What about It was interesting because Finn wolf Pod, who plays Mike, he felt like he was the front runner to be the big franchisee you was the first one out.
Speaker 3: Of the gates because he landed both it and Ghostbusters at about the same time, maybe one right after the other. And then Ghostbusters, Who What Where? Which is a magazine? Fins in it talking about stranger things, and he's got what the I'm no longer a young man, I'm a man now haircut? He is if you were around for justin Timberlake, and he went from giant ramen noodle curls to sexy, army buzz cut. You might know Finn had quite the like swoosh of hair. He was giving somewhat like the Emo boys in the early Yachts, but maybe a little more refined.
Speaker 1: And Night thirteen hot heart rob vibes too.
Speaker 2: It was curtains, but not curtains, indie band curtains.
Speaker 3: You could poutily brush that hair out of your face if you wanted to. It's got now it's gone, which says to me that his team thinks he gonna be back. He about to get another franchise or something. Give it a minute. I'd be so interested to hear what the girls his age, if he's like a heart throb for them or not, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. I'm interested in that too.
Speaker 2: I do think that most of the Stranger Things kids are pretty like cool and have like interesting unique tastes and seem to have come out of the situation of being a child star on the first really massive smash like streaming and show from Netflix pretty well. And I think he is making interesting choices in his own creative life. He recently directed a movie called Hell of a Summer, which I thought was really fun, which is just.
Speaker 1: Like a slasher movie. He has taken kind of your summer camp slasher.
Speaker 2: Really great stuff, a great eye fun, and I think like he should do more stuff like that, like Live.
Speaker 1: It Up you did Ghostbusters.
Speaker 2: I love those new Ghostbusters movies just because I love Ghostbusters. But they're not necessarily you know, they're not your next critical smash like go.
Speaker 1: For something different. We've seen it. We've seen our.
Speaker 2: First Riverdale actor wrongfully snubbed by the Oscars for his incredible performance last year, and so there's a lot of different things going on here where these TV stars can translate into something bigger. But I feel like Finn needs to make a few more like interesting indie choices on his own. Yeah, and I'm excited to see where he goes with it because also he's like really tall and has funny delivery and is good at like physical body comedy, but is also good at like being serious and emotional.
Speaker 1: So there's good stuff out there. I want to see him get that great script.
Speaker 3: He's essentially a romantically at an extremely young age and carry you know, like country between him and Millie Bobby Brown is good, Like he can deliver on sort of the emotional resonance of a scene to your point comedy, which is notoriously difficult. You've got the bone structure and the foundation to be a star, Finn, if you choose, I'd be curious to see where that goes. Somebody else who has the bone structure to be a star? My a Hawk. We mentioned there would be a Neffo baby here and Listen, we don't hate neple babies. We just want everyone to have a fair shot at being able to create art and live off of it. But my Hawk extremely talented instantly.
Speaker 2: Also my knowledges is and who her parents are and how it's helped her. Yeah, I think she's amazing. She basically launched her whole music career off this, at least in a much more mainstream success way.
Speaker 1: I think she makes care choices.
Speaker 2: She's also been directing, She's been in movies with her dad. She has been taking on really interesting weird roles, which I think is a Neppo baby is basically your job because you don't need the money, you don't.
Speaker 3: Have the flexibility to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do I understand why a young actress would have said yes to being in season two of Stranger Things? Absolutely like you were right to do that, Maya Hawk. I am not judging you. What I'm saying now is you have the Neppo Baby family security and your own security and your own success and clown. So I'm excited to see you pursuing more interesting, intriguing things. And also Maya Hawk's recent appearance on Good Hang with Amy Poehler was just delightful. I'm I love I love Mayaw.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the two who I think should have strong careers, but we're not quite sure where that's gonna end up. And that's Caleb McLaughlin who plays Lucas Sinclair and get In Mata zero Is I'm saying that right, Yes, got In Matazerio who play Doesn't Henderson and Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Both of these boys are adorable. I've loved them on Stranger Things. I've loved them in projects outside of Stranger Things. Again, these are kids who understand comedy and timing. They can do they can do the drama. Lucas crying over Max. Uh yeah, I'm in tears. Literally, anything Dustin does, I will lay my body down. I just need Dustin to be protected at all costs. I need Lucas and Max to get out. Okay, I need my babies to be all right. I also like them to be all right in the real world. I think they have, uh the capacity for such greatness.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: What do you what would you like to see them do when their care is like, what roles do you think they should be taking out a finn? These would be doing uh, some kind of like edgyar work, and we're encouraging Maya to do the weird work. What kind of work do these guys be looking for?
Speaker 2: I think like they're still young, you know. I think Gates and he's done a really good job. He's become like kind of a prankster. He had his own prank show. I think like leaning into what people expec from Dustin. Caleb was actually in a movie you can watch on Peacock that is like it's a sports drama about Lebron James's life and it was produced by Lebron James. And he plays Drew Joyce, the third like one of the three besties basically who grew up around Lebron. And yeah, really really interesting stuff. I think he's making good choices. I don't think he's getting as many options or calls. And I think the same thing as said for Gayton, who by the way, is also like physically visibly disabled.
Speaker 1: And so like, I think there is an interesting thing here.
Speaker 2: But Caleb's been booking those jobs and he's had some really interesting ones.
Speaker 1: Book of Clarence, The Deliverance.
Speaker 2: He's got a basketball comedy coming out from Sony that's called goat.
Speaker 1: And I mean that to me, I'm like, if you can do an animated.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good and it's.
Speaker 1: Columbia, but it's animated by Sony Pictures Animation. So and Caleb is the lead in that.
Speaker 2: So I'm really hoping. I'm hoping that that can be a big launch.
Speaker 1: FIM, A nice little.
Speaker 3: Animation is not really in your faith. And I will say, stranger things. Whoever did these posts? Well, really, whoever styled his hair jail? He has no hairline?
Speaker 2: Say how is it the same in the two lost two seasons too? Like they didn't fix it off the last season. Everyone was telling you it didn't look good last season.
Speaker 3: Guys is so and so talented. He does not deserve the disrespect of this awful hairline. H But I do hope you know it's some like interesting live action roles. I would like to see Caleb in like a Will Smith ESK role. You know what I mean? IV is the ability to be that level of charming that like and let me please clarify early Will Smith role Allah your independence days, Okay, Men in Black? Men in Black?
Speaker 2: Caleb would be so great in like a charming buddy comedy. But like in a genre space.
Speaker 1: Yes, definitely so good. I mean maybe someone should because that would actually like.
Speaker 3: Love Gates to go the sitcom route, not because I don't think you have movie star potential, but just because I think in the same way that like a Max Greenfield could do film, but like you just resonates funny on TV. He's so funny. Actually, that's my pitch. Gates needs to get with Greenfield. Like if the two of them come together, Uh, make it a father's son, a nephew, uncle, a brothers with a very large age gap, some kind of situation like that where they're playing off each other and they get to be funny. I think the two of them would have people in tears. But then again, both of them have all of that heart and love that resonates. You know, if you've seen Max and New Girl, he plays Schmidt who's in love with Cec and you get to see all of his shenanigans and it's so great, And imagine like a Schmidt with a Dustin Schmidt.
Speaker 1: And Dustin Yeah, that would be great. I love that idea in Max.
Speaker 3: I've done it. You're welcome, TV. You can have that one for free. Just make it for me.
Speaker 1: I just would watch it retract, it retract.
Speaker 3: I need to be at least in the writer's room, please, at least so we've talked about all of the children who might go forth and conquer. Uh. Wait, Steve, Steve up to you.
Speaker 1: I can do him. I can do him quickly. Steve has actually been doing it.
Speaker 2: He it's to me no surprise, I think because of the way that he managed to transform this role and turn it into an ongoing role with this kind of.
Speaker 1: Bully to babysitter vibe, which is so great.
Speaker 2: Uh. He has actually taken on some really interesting roles. He was in this movie that I loved. I watched it for nadists ended up not like they said, hey, watch this movie, you can interview.
Speaker 1: Him, and ended up I think like we didn't get the interview. But it was called Spree. It's so good.
Speaker 2: He's basically like a psycho spree killer in an uber who is.
Speaker 1: Killing people live to get followers.
Speaker 2: But then he is taken down by SNL ex cast member Sasha's the Marta, who is so good and she's so funny and she is a stand up.
Speaker 3: In the Hurt and Agatha, She's so good.
Speaker 1: She's amazing.
Speaker 2: In Agatha and I just thought this movie was really cool, really unique. It's not your classic slasher, but it's also kind of this idea of followers and fans.
Speaker 1: It's really strange. So he's been doing that.
Speaker 2: But I would say his biggest thing, if I'm not mistaken, he's a pretty successful music artist now, and that has been the real thing that he has been doing.
Speaker 1: The stranger things. I know, he's really been living it up. Like good for that man, Joe Aery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really yet, like, uh, Joe's kind of got this the word I'm looking for. I can't figure it out. But he's he's just naturally like I he felt like a star coming on. I'll put it that way, you know what I mean. And I don't mean the superstar shut everything downwigh. I mean in the this man will never stop working that he will always be hired. He is so consistent good. It feels just like second nature to him.
Speaker 1: Just makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you kind of just want him in things. There's a reliability and he's giving Uh who's do the please? Nick? And New Girls? Sorry, probably New Girl references if you're not a New Girl fan, but oh.
Speaker 2: Not the world's most not the world's most beloved boy next door.
Speaker 1: Peter B. Parker, he sure is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he gives that kind of hate, that and liability to him that you're like, yeah, I want.
Speaker 2: To cast him in your Stranger Things reunion sitcom that you're obviously now pitching.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's coming together, but yeah, the world. Sorry, guys, sorry, have you got enough of those? Do you need another one?
Speaker 2: Dj O time, he's his that's his Instagram is his music goes by d j O.
Speaker 1: Sorry, guys. If it's just Joe or something, I'm not cool. I don't know.
Speaker 2: He's got two boy four million followers. I see him doing a lot of shows. A lot of people I know go to his shows, So I love that for him, and I think he could also just keep doing cool stuff. He he was in Fargo, he was really fun and free guy. I'm just excited to see him do more. I really do Recommencepree a lot. It's pretty out there. If you don't like a scary kind of like murderous horror movie, you might not enjoy it. But I thought it was really interesting. Take I've been hearing there has allegedly Okay, we don't wet there is allegedly a rumor that he is playing Harry Osborne in Brand New Day that came out in the summer. Allegedly that's what he's working on. People didn't really felt about. I think it's fantastic, possible.
Speaker 3: People aren't sure, get sure, get rid? I telling you, let me assure you. But you know, I actually let.
Speaker 1: Me, he said, be assured.
Speaker 3: This is who you want because what he can do so well, you've seen him with as babysitter, so he could do this. Oh I'm so worried about you, Peter, like you're my best friend. But also he can do If I disappoint my dad, I won't exist as a person and I'll be crushed. And so now I will make the choice I know is wrong because I just he is gonna nail that. I really hope it's true. Uh yeah, joke, right, Joe, Come.
Speaker 1: On, But yes, this was so fun. Thanks for joining us for our.
Speaker 2: Little water cooler chat about the history of Strange Things and some of our favorite moments.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah. The new series is coming out soon.
Speaker 3: Guys, Thanksgiving weekend.
Speaker 2: Episode drops Thanksgiving weekend, and the rest will be released in three volumes, I believe, so.
Speaker 3: Check out the recap that Rosie and Jason do. It's coming out next week. It's really, really funny, it's full. If you haven't seen it, you're gonna feel so caught up. You won't need to watch twenty seven thousand hours of television in order to enjoy it. This season, final season. But yeah, that's our show, guys, amazing, Thank you so much for listening, and we'll see guys soon. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Faye wag. Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman. Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.