Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well do we have a series now? Welcome to the program our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Neuts Dan Patrick Show. We got you covered recapping the game. Tim Legler from the Mothership, their lead NBA analysts will join us coming up a little bit. Christopher mad Dog Russo will stop by as well. And the Hurricanes at My Golden Knight's Game four. What can they do for an encore this crazy series so far? That'll be coming up tonight eight seven to seven three DP. Show operator Tyler sitting around doing nothing but taking your phone calls.
Speaker 3: We have a poll.
Speaker 2: Question, Play of the Day, stat of the Day or two. All of that forthcoming. Good morning if you're watching the program, We're on Peacock and NBC Sports Network and our radio affiliates around the country, over four hundred radio stations around the country that carry this award nominated program. Stat of the Day has always brought you by Panini America, the official trading cart said the Dan Patrick Show, and Tire Iraq is ready to help you like they've been helping other people for forty years. The right tires for how and what and where you drive ship fast and free, backed by free road hazard protection, convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tire rack dot com, the way tire buying should be. Well, the Spurs did what they needed to do. Desperate times, desperate measures. They played that way and they eke out the win one fifteen to one eleven thirty two for Victor Wembenyama. And in case you're wondering, I was curious. The Spurs were only a two and a half point underdog last night, and the Spurs are two and a half point underdogs tomorrow night. The series is far from over. In my opinion, I didn't think the Spurs would get swept. Still might be a six game series. But now you have a little bit of doubt. And I said yesterday to start the show, the pressure was going to be on the Knicks. Everybody showed up, the President's there, you got all your celebrities.
Speaker 3: This is a mere formality. The Spurs are broken, we're going to win.
Speaker 2: We're at home, we're in the garden, and then all of a sudden you forgot to deliver. You had everything there. It's like all the ingredients to make a great meal. They just didn't have a chef because the Spurs took it to.
Speaker 3: The Knicks last night.
Speaker 2: And yes, they're going to be complaints about the disparity and fowls called. You know, they were very similar in the number of fowls that were called. It was just what fowls were and weren't called. I think that was the big question mark that I would have where the Spurs physical. Absolutely, did Wenby get away with a push on Jalen Brunson. Absolutely, It's going to be this way in game four. Now it's the Knicks turn. It's a game of chess checkers. Now the Spurs know what the Knicks are going to do. They're going to be physical right from the beginning. Here's the trend that would concern me if I'm a Knicks fan. Game one, the Knicks were down by fourteen. Game two, down by twelve. Game three the Knicks down by twelve. So you needed brunson masterclass in closing games one and two to survive. Now, they came back in the second quarter and put up forty two. But you can't have this seesaw back and forth. You can't let san Antonio get up and then all that energy it takes to come back from down twelve. Now, they survived games one and two, certainly two.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 2: The Spurs played great defense, physical defense. Wemby was great, Stefan Castle, Dylan Harper. This is the contributions that you need if you're going to make this a six or seven game series. But the Knicks last night they didn't have it. Mikhae Bridges didn't have it. Brunson is still going to shoot, not shooting a good percentage. Karl Anthony Towns didn't have a good game. Landry Shammitt didn't have a good game. This was one of those games where you say, all right, that's one. That's one where we didn't look good. We had won thirteen in a row. Let's go back to what we did during that winning streak. But san Antonio knows, they know they let game two slip away. I thought they had a great look and Wemby with a pick and a pop, and he should have made that shot and we could be looking at san Antonio up two games to one. It's a strange thing happened on the way to the coronation. Strange thing happened on the way to the parade. You gotta make sure it's one game at a time. The Spurs aren't broken. The Spurs aren't going to be a mere formality. I mean, w won't allow that to happen. He's had a really good If you look at his numbers, they're really good. That's how great he is. That he's really good. And we think he's had a subpar performance in the NBA Finals. Still a lot of basketball left to be played now, the Knicks winning tomorrow night, you'd probably expect that. I expected the Spurs to win last night. Why I've been doing this for a long time. It's just weird things happen. You get a weird feeling. They even said to Dylan dyl I'd go money line on the Spurs. How did you do last night?
Speaker 4: I did take your advice there. I had the Spurs. I live bet them also when they were down, but I uh threw in a couple dearon Fox, I have a problem with I had a couple of parlays where that was the only leg that which.
Speaker 3: Is, you know what, shame on me.
Speaker 2: But he did hit maybe the biggest shot of the night, either him or Stefan Castle. And I'm thinking the last guy I think is going to hit a shot is Daron Fox, and he hit a big shot.
Speaker 3: When they needed it.
Speaker 2: But also Castle had a big shot as well in the final two minutes. Remember this is supposed to be too big of a stage for the young Spurs. Well, when this series started, I said, Dylan Harper's dad played in the NBA. He's from Jersey, He's played in the garden Stefan Castle played there at Yukon Biggie's Tournament, NCAA tournament games, and Wemby's been a pro for a few years, not only in the NBA but back home in France, Like, okay, you know. The only person I thought maybe it's too big a moment was Mitch Johnson, the Spurs head coach, because you haven't been in this situation before. But I don't think the Spurs are crumbling here. If the Knicks played great, then they're going to win Game four. But I've yet to see them actually play a great game. But it's coming and Brunson is going to have one of those games where you go, where's this been? Spurs know what they're doing on defense. These kids are playing great defense, physical defense, tough defense, and they'll continue to do that. Now it's up to Brunson, because when he makes those shots, we go, Wow, those are great shots. When he misses them, we're like, man, he's out of control. Well you can imagine that. After the game, everybody wanted to talk about the officiating. Here is Well, if you want to hear somebody get fined while they're delivering their line in the postgame press conference, here's the Knicks head coach Mike Brown.
Speaker 5: There were opportunities for fouls to be called to at least try to even the free throws out. To go twenty four free throw attempts in a second half, that's forty eight for the game.
Speaker 6: If you think about it, the way that they call that.
Speaker 5: Second half compared to eight all the shots we took, we got fouled four times roughly for eight free throws outs.
Speaker 6: Again, I don't complain much.
Speaker 5: I never thought i'd see that in an NBA Finals game, and I saw it tonight. It's tough to overcome when you're playing against a great team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna get fined for that. I understand what he's saying, but this is strategy. Now, I'm gonna talk to Tim Lageler. He'll join us in about fifteen minutes from now. I don't know how this impacts the officiating for the next game. I know Phil Jackson was a master at this, and back then they weren't fining you for saying things. Phil would say it in his zen like manner.
Speaker 3: Be nice if we got some of those calls that they're getting. I mean, that's all would take for Phil. But this is different.
Speaker 2: The commissioner's there, and you know all we've talked about flopping and that's not really a conversation. During the NBA Final. It was with Okac, but that's only because of one player. I don't think flop flopping is an epidemic. I think it is with SGA, but not in the NBA Finals. We haven't heard anything about that, which is good. I'm fine with that. But you start to look at the free throw disparity. Spurs had thirty two, the Knicks had twenty two at home. That normally doesn't happen, doesn't happen in the postseason. But I'm going to give credit to the Spurs aggressiveness. I thought the Knicks lacked a little bit of that. We got to win this now, because if you win last night, now you know you're winning the title.
Speaker 3: You know it.
Speaker 2: They're not going to beat us four consecutive games. And I would have played with that sense of urgency. And that's why I was saying the Knicks have more pressure because these Whenby even talked after the game, he goes, we're young. We don't know what we're not supposed to know or do.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 2: He sounds way more mature than twenty two when you hear him, like he's got a thought behind everything that he says. And then you find out that he's spent his day in Grammercy Park, which is I don't know how he got the key to Grammercy Park. You're supposed to have a key to open up the gate, and.
Speaker 3: Then you go in there.
Speaker 2: It's not a big park, and he went in there and he was painting. Did he have a beret on?
Speaker 7: Easy?
Speaker 3: Easy?
Speaker 6: Easy?
Speaker 3: He's gonna be doing nudes there, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 8: And I think a really important thing for the Spurs was getting off to a hot start and completely taking the crowd out because they were pumped the entire pregame two hours before the game started, and they took him out of the game asap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I wondered about that because the crowd, you you want that crowd on your side. It's you don't want that crowd against you at the garden because they came there to you know, watch it the coronation, like we're winning like this, this is Christmas Eve, We're open up presents. Then all of a sudden, you realize you don't get to open up the president. You gotta wait the next day. And now you have to win this next game. There's the pressure again because San Antonio gets to go back home, guaranteed, they get to go back home. And do you think the Knicks are gonna win again in San Antonio? Has any NBA team I'm just wondering out loud won three road games in the NBA finals, yues Marvin Man.
Speaker 8: Don't quote me, but I'm going to Okay, I think maybe the ninety three finals that was one of the crazier ones. I think the first three games were won by the road team.
Speaker 2: Okay, But did the eventual champion win three road games?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 9: I had the ninety three Bowls, winning games one, one, two, and five at Phoenix, and I got the ninety Pistons.
Speaker 2: Can I quote you Marvin. Now you can now. Okay, well that's a great bloop.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you're trying to win three games on the road, Okay, yes, yes, Dylan.
Speaker 3: I don't know though.
Speaker 4: The Knicks look pretty comfortable in San Antonio the first two games, especially compared to last night.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think in game two they look comfortable, not comfortable. But hey they won, Yes they did, Yes, they did. Well, I look at San Antonio lost that game. Yeah, get game one. Give that to the Knicks. So now you have the Spurs winning a game, and they they win in the most hostile atmosphere these kids have ever been in, and they are kids and they did it.
Speaker 3: Everybody's there, all the celebrities. The president's there.
Speaker 2: Robert Kraft is there. The Patriots owner Jimmy Johnson is there. Like there are a couple of randos, and I go, wait a minute, Jimmy Johnson, Robert Kraft, Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 9: There are a couple replays.
Speaker 6: Though.
Speaker 9: I know you're complaining about the refs if you're a Knicks guy, but there was a replay maybe eight minutes left in the fourth where Wenby hit that three and got fouled. Yeah, about to be a four point play and I didn't see it. They called offensive foul on Keldon Johnson and it was a great replay and it worked in the next favor. And then there was a replay maybe two minutes to go, ball went out of bounds off Dylan Harper. But if it was called off the Knicks at first, and then they replayed it, so the replays went in the next favor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Knicks got some calls.
Speaker 2: You tend to look at the totality of the game, but you know these calls when they were called, you're thinking, Wow, you know the basketball gods are against us.
Speaker 3: You got two calls that were the correct calls.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, I think two things that are really going to stand out is the non flagrant call on Stefan Castle and the flagrant call on Jalen Brunson.
Speaker 2: Well, Brunson, I think it's a flagrant if you impede somebody's landing area after taking a shot, so it's not a foul. I believe that is a flagrant. And even though he doesn't look like he's trying to do it, it doesn't matter. You did it, and you know you got in his space, didn't Brunson get the call.
Speaker 3: Or no SGA.
Speaker 2: I think got a call in the previous series where it look Darren Fox. I think they called him for kind of you know, getting in and I'm fine with that call. Anybody who's been up for a jump shot and all of a sudden somebody sticks. Now, players used to stick their foot out, not that you would land on their foot, but you would think about that foot when you're coming down.
Speaker 3: So they did.
Speaker 2: Nicks did get some calls, the Wemby call, you know, somebody had to be up late at night for the Knicks editing all of these different plays together to send to the NBA today.
Speaker 9: Yes, Paulin going back to that flagrant on Brunson goes to close out champannee and he sticks his foot out and actually hits the back of Brunson's leg on the landing like he initiated the landing contact and Brunson got called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's what Reggie Miller made a career out of that. He was going to get you up or he was going to flail into you. And some players you're taught if you're going up and somebody's into you, then you can, you know, be a little more overly dramatic and they got the call.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, No, You're right about the actual rules, But I'm just talking about the optues and how it looks like Wait, Castle running Brunst it over wasn't a flagrant, I know, but Brunson turning his head and having his foot there was a flagrant. I'm just talking about the optics, not the rules.
Speaker 2: Well, even Cornette knocking you know, Josh Hard down and I'm like, at least help him up. Don't make it so obvious. It was like made basket and they blasted him like okay, all right, Legs will join us. We'll have a pull question for the first hour of the program, Christopher mad Dog, so we'll join us next hour.
Speaker 3: Your phone calls as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey, It's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 11: You can now watch the Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 12: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We'll get to your phone calls. We'll settle on a poll question eight seven to seven to three. DP Show email Addressdpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Fritzy just checked with the NBA that it's not always a flagrant foul, but any contact that impedes in airborne shooters landing space is a defensive foul only escalates to a flagrant foul if the contact is deemed unnecessary, excessive, or reckless by the referee. Tim Legler, shooter ESPN lead NBA analyst, I didn't know that. I thought that that was just kind of a blanket flagrant foul if you impede, you don't allow somebody to come down in their space after taking a shot.
Speaker 11: Now, I think the main thing they're looking for, Dan is in a word you'll often hear when they're looking at those is reckless.
Speaker 6: That's the word that you're looking for them to say.
Speaker 11: If they feel like you had a general disregard for like where your foot was, and it was in somehow you know, dangerous to the shooter. You're going to get a flag or foul, but it doesn't always have to be.
Speaker 2: The physicality didn't surprise me from the Spurs, but I wonder if it surprised the officials last night that well.
Speaker 11: I don't know, you know, I don't know if it's surprised the officials. I think, look, this is a very physical team, but in general, the playoffs have been extremely physical. It's a lot different than what you're watching in the regular season. There's no question about it. And guess what, it has always been that way in the NBA. I can't think of a year in which that wasn't the case. And so now here we are in the finals you're talking about, we've already gone through three rounds, fourteen teams have already been eliminated, and so we've seen game after game after game, and the physicality has ramped up throughout the postseason. Last night, what we saw was an extremely physical game, but it's to me as physical as what we've been watching and certainly what we've watched in the first three games of the NBA Finals. And I think the physicality is allowed on both ends of the floor. It's not just San Antonio that's getting away with being physical. The Knicks are also being physical. And if you and I went frame I frame when we looked at the game last night like a Zapruiter film, We're going to see a lot of physicality on both ends of the floor.
Speaker 6: San Antonio has some defenders.
Speaker 11: It's a big part of what they are and who they are in their DNA, and it's better for them, certainly because of their size or strength or lateral mobility. If they can be more physical in the point of attacking the ball. It's going to help those guys because of the physical profile that they have. And I think I think people are looking at the game last night and thinking, in some way this was just one end of the floor. I didn't see it as just a one sided whistle all night long. It's an extremely physical game from the jump and San Antonio Spurs. I think we're the more physical team last night, and they set the tonal lead in the game.
Speaker 2: I mentioned this yesterday to start the show. People I think were surprised. I thought there was more pressure on the Knicks last night because the Spurs. Okay, we lost two at home. Now let's just play the Knicks. I mean we're hey, they're talking about sweeping. Hey, is Brunson going to get a statue? Hey, there's going to be a parade. The President's here. Like, there was so much there, and I thought the Spurs were probably going to just go and play where the Knicks. It just felt like I think they were kind of look at each other like when are we starting here? When are you going to do something? Or how about you do something? Meanwhile, the Spurs went out and played, you know, pretty much a complete team game.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Look, I think sometimes the best thing you can do as a team when you're going through, you know, some difficulties, and clearly san Antonio at home two games, they can't close both games winnable. They don't get it done. The best thing you could do is get out on the road. It almost narrows your focus. The pressure cooker that was the garden last night, There's no.
Speaker 6: Doubt it was palpable.
Speaker 11: The expectation level for the home team and being on the precipice of this and how bad this fan base wants it and the environment in there last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and We talked about.
Speaker 11: That, like it's gonna be it's gonna be wild, Like people think, wow, you're going into some sort of a wood chipper here if you're an opponent, right, it's if you feel that as a home team too, And they felt that no doubt.
Speaker 6: But I don't even know that that was really what did it last night.
Speaker 11: For me, it was the San Antonio Spurs at the start of that game got something from their two best players that I think settled their entire team. When Victor Winbin Yama, Stefan Cassel come out and their intent is to play in the paint, get high percentage shots, show you that they're in control. It calms your entire team down. Your head, coach, your roster, the role players, everybody's like, hey man, our two best guys are here tonight and they're operating.
Speaker 6: We're in a good place now.
Speaker 11: They got hit with the left hook in the second quarter, and I said on SVP last night, sometimes your best friend is halftime, because because if that quarter had continued another four minutes the way the Knicks were playing, they might be down fifteen. So like the best thing was to look up and see Zeros on the clock, you're only down seven if you was first. Now they still had to come out for the third quarter, and that first six minutes was gonna be very telling for me. What happens here? Does this go out to fifteen eighteen and now it's three to zero and this series is over? Or can San Antonio almost recalibrate their offense again, get back to playing in the paint, get back to the way they played at the start of the game.
Speaker 6: And that's exactly what they did.
Speaker 11: At the same time, I thought the Knicks offense was very predictable last night in the second half of that game.
Speaker 6: I thought it hurt them.
Speaker 2: Talking to Tim Legler from the Mothership, their lead NBA analyst, here's another concerning trend here. Game one, Knicks down by fourteen. Game two, Knicks trailed by twelve. Game three they trailed by twelve. Great teams. I mean, it's hard to keep getting down and then coming back. And this is a good San Antonio team. Now, I wonder, and the pressure's back on the Knicks, like you have to win this game tomorrow night, right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, listen, I'm not gonna consider and say they can't win the series if they lose them all night. My goodness, because if they lose Themorrow night, we're we're four games in. No home team has won a game, so you know it's only one I think only one other time. If I saw the graphic right this morning, I was kind of my eyes were blurry.
Speaker 6: I kind of grabbed the remote Sports center.
Speaker 11: I think it said, there's only second time that we've had no home team win a game through the first three of the finals. You gotta go back to the ninety three finals. I believe so like this is incredibly unusual territory. So I'm not gonna make any predictions on what's gonna happen. If the Knicks lose Game four, you're then you're at a best of three and nobody's won a home game yet. It almost be honestly would almost be at that point, Dan, there would be so much pressure on every home team to hold it down. I don't even know what that would feel like. So I'm not gonna say that, but yeah, clearly, look you went out.
Speaker 6: Even if you just get one of the two, you've done your job.
Speaker 11: If you're the Knicks on the road to start this series, because at that point, you're going we don't have to win another game on the road, right, that's a great feeling.
Speaker 6: So and now you win two, well you got that luxuried out twice. Now at home, you just need to split at home and you're in the same boat. Listen.
Speaker 11: Yes, a lot of pressure, without question, and they're gonna have to play better. I think one thing that's been apparent to me Jalen Brunson is being guarded and hounded and she's expending so much energy as a primary bar handler. He has yet to have an efficient game in this series. And he is a superstar offensive player. And you know the way he's built and his balance and his strength, and you think he's not gonna wear down. You wear down when your usage rate is as high as it was last night and you're being handed off from one guy to the next. That are elite defenders. These are big guys who are strong the physical. Oh and by the way, if you do good by them, you've got a seven to five guy at the rim waiting for you.
Speaker 6: So I thought the usage rate was through the roof last night.
Speaker 11: They got away from Karl Anthony Towns touching the ball in the high post and some of the ways that he had been affected the first couple of games and throughout the playoffs.
Speaker 6: They got away from that last night.
Speaker 11: They've got to go look at their offense and I think they've got to make it somehow a little bit easier on Jailen Brunson so he can find his efficiency because it hasn't been there through three games.
Speaker 2: Help me understand this, And having been around Phil Jackson when he did it, certainly with the Bulls, but when you say something in a postgame press conference where you talk about the officials, I don't know it worked for Phil. But he also had Mike and Scotti, so you know, Mike Brown said, you know, he's never seen this happen in an NBA game the finals. But I don't know if I'm an official, Like, how do I take this if I'm the commissioner like my players? Like, is that message more for the fans than it is anybody else? Because I can't image and these officials going, you know, I think Mike's right, we didn't do a good job in that game.
Speaker 3: They don't want to be told that they did a bad job.
Speaker 6: I've never thought it helps that.
Speaker 11: That's just been my opinion my entire career as a player and covering this for the last twenty five years.
Speaker 6: I've just never thought that's really helpful. Here's some things that you need to remember.
Speaker 11: People are just you know, and I shouldn't say people, because it's really just it's people that support the Knicks, that are Knicks fans, like that's where you're gonna hear the noise today. For the most part, if you're completely objective in this, you got to look at some numbers. So the regular season, look at the two teams. The San Antonio Spurs were middle of the pack, just under twenty five free throws a game. They were thirteenth in the NBA in free throw attempts per game. In some ways, that does sort of talk to your style of play. The New York Knicks were twenty fifth in free throw attempts per game at twenty one a game. In the postseason, San Antonio of the sixteen teams that have played in the postseason, on average feet those per game, San Antonio is fourth of.
Speaker 6: Those sixteen teams. The Knicks are seventh.
Speaker 11: So to think that because I think sometimes the narrative, all of a sudden concerdently people like this was so wildly out of the narrative of how these two teams play, and I just didn't see it that way. Look, I understand Mike's point. That is a pretty big discrepancy in one half. Discrepancy in one half twenty four to eight, there's no doubt about it. But I don't think that that is ultimately helpful to your point. I don't think that all of a sudden people go, Okay, there's gonna have to be a market correction in the next game.
Speaker 6: And then, by the way, what if that happens. What if the New York Knicks in.
Speaker 11: Game four shoot twelve more free throws than the Spurs, are we automatically to assume right here as we see her before the game starts, all of those calls are correct. I mean, that's why you start playing this game, the pendulum game. You're not gonna win it because every night the opponents fan based is upset if they get the short end of the stick on the officiating.
Speaker 6: And also, I think when.
Speaker 11: You start talking like that, it's one thing to say I thought the game is poorly officiated. That's different than the narrative of our team got the short end of the stick, Because you're basically.
Speaker 6: Almost saying, like the rest care who wins?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's that's.
Speaker 11: When it starts to get dicey, because I generally don't believe that. I think they're out there trying to do the best job they can. They have let it ramp up to a level that if everything was called that should be right now, we literally would it would be the most boring broadcast in the history of sports. If that's what we did. It has really ramped up. Can they set the tone early, Dwan with some calls to try to rein it in a little bit with the with the physicality off ball, the grabs the on ball, two hands, they probably could rein it in early and the players would probably ge adjust to that on a given night. But you also could get some star players immediately found trouble and miss eight minutes of the first quarter.
Speaker 6: And you don't want that either.
Speaker 11: So I think that you got to be careful with this narrative and just look at the numbers for these two teams in terms of free throws on a nightly basis and how they play, and look, san Antonio outplayed them last night.
Speaker 6: I just think that should be the headline who wins tomorrow night?
Speaker 11: Oh, I'm not making predictions, not anymore when I'm in a studio, but I'm in a studio role.
Speaker 6: I could do that. I don't make forredictions there calling the game.
Speaker 11: Look, I will say this to finish with this about last night, I just think we have to give the Spurs an awful lot of credit.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 11: This is an incredibly young team. They had two games at home where they were up one with two minutes to go with the ball, lost tie game with the ball inside fifteen seconds and lost. Those are things that young teams might not recover from. And now you go into what we saw last night, which was the one of the wildest home court environments and energize I've ever seen, and you play that well at the start of the game. That was incredible to me. To sort of set the tone and then survive the big punch. They did that too. You got to give this young team a lot of credit.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 11: Their top three players are twenty two and under, and they went into that environment last night and they played their best game of the series.
Speaker 2: How would you describe that atmosphere if somebody didn't watch or wasn't there, it.
Speaker 11: Was I personally have never felt it felt to me before the game like the court had shrunk. That's how much activity and environment was around the the sidelines and baseline. It felt like there wasn't ninety four by fifty anymore. It was like thirty seven by eighteen. That's what the court felt like because of the amount of activity that was around the court, you know, and and the palpable energy.
Speaker 6: I thought Mike Breen had a great line. He's like, you can't necessarily measure it, but if you could.
Speaker 11: I don't know where you'd ever find it in an NBA setting that it was last night in that building. And that's why it was so critical for the Spurs to come out and not allow that energy that was built up prior to tip to just continue into the first eight nine minutes of the game, you know, when you're down twenty six to twelve, because it could have been lights out. They came out with such a calm demeanor about the way they were running their offense.
Speaker 6: Plus they had nine turnovers I believe on the night, nine on the.
Speaker 11: Road in that kind of environment with a young team, and they're also by the way prone to turnovers, and they have a game that clean where they control they take care of the ball and they make shots.
Speaker 6: I just thought that you have to give them all the credit in the world. I know that a lot.
Speaker 11: You're gonna be allowed to talk about the officiating today, and that's fine.
Speaker 6: Maybe people think it's too physical.
Speaker 11: I would probably agree over all the physicality and what's being allowed is too much.
Speaker 6: I would agree with that.
Speaker 11: But we can't get away from how well the Spurs last night they all played the Knicks, and the Knicks now have to figure out a way to get back to their normal rhythm offensively, because that's just three games in a row that the San Antonio Spurs have limited that some of that efficiency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought the ball should have gone through Karl Anthony Towns more like It's almost like they got off script. And I've been saying for Wemby, I need you inside to then come outside. I don't need threes. It feels like when he needs a breather, he pulls up for a three instead of I mean, it takes a lot of energy to get inside, get banged around, but you know, you throw it up highly not nobody's gonna get it but him and Dan Dan.
Speaker 11: A couple things are to point out, like if you're you know, if you're a Knick fan today, Let's also go back and watch the game again and look at some of the mistakes the Knicks made in the first six seven minutes of the game. Defensively, they were over extended, you're trapping on the ball at half court and and and then Wemby twice was left in the middle of the lane as like an outlet pass for the guy that was trapped with nobody there. The first four touches were right at the rim. That hasn't been the case in the first two games. So and that wasn't because of officiating. That was because of mistakes or intent on the part of Victor Wembinyama, intent on the part of the San Antonios person. And you don't know if you're gonna make jump shots necessarily, that's that's a fickle thing in the NBA. So that's why getting higher percentage shots and playing more to your strength was key. And then they got you know this, Dylan Harper, I can't say enough about like how good this guy is going to be, particular if he figures out the deep shot, his physical presence, his speed is power, his rebounding and ability to then push it out of that is special. And he's twenty and he he got into that environment last night and he looked like very comfortable, like he could have his pajamas on. He was very comfortable last night in that environment for a twenty year old, very unusual to not be rattled at all, and he didn't.
Speaker 6: Look like he was other than in fact, he could make it three. But that's still the weakness in his game. That'll come down the road.
Speaker 11: I just thought, I just thought overall, they their purpose was better than the next last night. And look, the Knicks can adjust to that, get back to a little bit more off ball movement, less dominant ball handling by Jalen Brunson against top flight defenders, and see if their offense can get humming a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Again, great stuff, Thanks for sharing.
Speaker 6: Always, Dan.
Speaker 2: Anytime, that's Tim Legler on the call, NBA analyst for the NBA Finals.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of those the Knicks getting off to a good start. Then you start to put a little doubt into the San Antonio Spurs. When San Antonio got off to the good start, I'm like, okay, now you're taking the crowd out of it. Now the players are like, wait a minute, this is supposed to be a cakewalk. They're down, go too. We're in our building, everybody's here. We're supposed to win this. We're gonna sweep and be mentioned among the greatest single season teams.
Speaker 3: Of all time.
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden, now we got Game four and even more pressure on the Knicks. Will take a break your phone calls. We will settle on our poll question. Our play of the day is next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Oh my God.
Speaker 3: Of the day.
Speaker 1: Play this is the play of the day.
Speaker 2: Check this out, alling for Dylan Harper Rambama with three with two picked her back to Castle's got to force it.
Speaker 1: Up right wing pree got it check Castle.
Speaker 3: Brains the right wing free and just in time was.
Speaker 6: Pretty much forced to throw that one up there.
Speaker 2: One eleven one oh four might have been the biggest shot of the night. That's courtesy of the Spurs Radio Network. That's your play of the day. Play the day brought to you by McGuire's Luxury Collection whole car air refreshers. Perfect way to find that funky odor and redefine your drive. McGuire's celebrating one hundred and twenty five years at keeping cars clean, shining, smelling great. Some phone calls here. Pull question for the first hour is what Dylan, Well, we've.
Speaker 4: Got some options Dan for starters. Which team do you have more faith in? Right now?
Speaker 3: Your Golden Knights are my Knicks both up to one? Hm h I'm gonna say the Knicks slightly.
Speaker 2: Did you know this hockey Stanley Cup Final I think's going seven games. Probably it's going to be tied three to three two minutes to go in the final period in game seven. I just think they're so evenly matched. I'm gonna give the Knicks a little bit of an.
Speaker 6: Edge here, all right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I get that they like there's like a there's a little more series long parody. It feels like in hockey maybe like no going down doesn't necessarily feel although that game that lost for the Knicks, that felt they're up to one still, but that felt like a shifting tide a little bit.
Speaker 2: As of ten fifty Eastern time last night, get in for Game four was thirteen thousand, seven hundred and fifty eight dollars. An hour later, the exact same seat six four hundred dollars fifty three percent drop. As of twelve fifty so two hours later the same ticket was down sixty percent. The get in was five thousand, five hundred dollars. A couple of phone calls here Andrew in Washington, Hi, Andrew, what do you have for me?
Speaker 10: Oh, good morning, Dan Dnnett, Thanks for taking my call. I just think that the Spurs played what they could equate as a perfect game, especially underneath the circumstances of Madison Square Garden and that crowd and just all the hype that went into it. I think they really showed some poise for being a young team, and just down the stretch they actually controlled the tempo, and that was going to be very important because that's what the Knicks had done throughout this whole time. Like you mentioned, the Knicks had come from behind in many many games during that thirteen game, Stan, and they did it by controlling the tempo and determining how the offensive sets would be run. And the Spurs kind of flipped that script last night. A couple of things that show how young the Spurs are Victor Webbin Yama is only the He's the second youngest player to have a thirty five assist and five rebound game, behind Magic Johnson who was younger, and then Stefan Castle and Victor were the only two teammates that have twenty plus points in a game and be under twenty two years old in the finals, shows how young they are. Then I have one request, maybe during this podcast snaffle, we can get one podcast just uploaded to another Dan Patrick's show, networked podcast, just so we can have a podcast before everything gets turned out.
Speaker 2: All right, Uh, Dylan, what's uh? What's the process here? What's the reason? What's the hold up here with the toodcast?
Speaker 4: It's a marketing ploy, Dan, Uh, Now it's I It was I accidentally merged the toodcast with the gambling podcast feed in an attempt to shift it over to a different hosting thing. So it's being worked out by smarter people at the moment, and we should be up and running any day now.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't like the sounds of that. That's all that.
Speaker 4: I'm just relaying the information and I okay, it's gonna be a good one though, alright.
Speaker 2: Uh, PJ in Atlanta, IPJ, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Uh, Landry Comet whatever his name is, he doesn't need to play twenty three minutes and go one for eight and get five files. That's why they lost. You got to make your free throws. I know they had probably ten more, but you got to make your free throws and uh, yeah, just you don't need to play that guy that much. That's why they lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the bench has been playing well. Landry Shamman, you know they've had contributions here, So I'm okay with that. Although he's the kind of guy that I don't say, hey, keep shooting. I want to know if you're hitting your first couple and then you can keep shooting.
Speaker 3: Zach and Knoxville, Hi, Zach.
Speaker 13: ABP, thanks for taking my call. Just to switch gears a little bit and bring up the Brendan sowersby saga that's going on. Do you think that the NCAA Playoff Committee, if they happen to have a season worthy of making it to the CFP, do you think that they would possibly do something to keep them out.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: If this is far from over and I still and we'll have more on this later, but I still think this comes down to each conference should govern itself, and the fallout from Brendan Soresby being able to play this upcoming season. I think it's truly an embarrassment for Texas Tech. I think it's an embarrassment NCAA. Oh my goodness. More on this coming up a little bit later on. I'm going in the confessional hour two right after this