Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: WHA but Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio. iHeartRadio app Welcome in, boys off for one more day, They're back tomorrow, the guts, You're ready for the upcoming NFL season. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome in. Dan Byer alongside, I'm Doug Gottlieb. But that's Jason Stewart. And it's interesting, guys, because I don't know if you know the backstory with this, Jace, do you want to turn our love and hate segment into the good, the bad, the ugly? Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, So the background is this. We were doing our production meeting and Dan's like, didn't Dan Patrick used to do the good, the bad and the ugly? Do they still do that? So we asked Joel Elliott, who runs the board for the show every day, and he says, I guess what Dan stopped doing that? And then I guess he just takes calls nowadays like what did you love best from the weekend or something?
Speaker 2: So I don't think I don't I don't. I don't think he did the good, the bad, the ugly. I could be wrong, and again that this is a little bit like the back shoulder throw in football. Okay, I am going to claim to be the one who did the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, going back to my days at ESPN Radio, and it was copied by Eric Casilius who then took it to do on his show. Okay, and how do I know because I'm actually a huge spaghetti Western fan, huge spaghetti western fan. Which is where the sound, the good, the bad, the ugly, that's where the movie was actually was. It's actually a movie the good, the bad, the.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: When there's that thing is right, somebody's gotta be a better whistler than me. I don't know if I don't know what's going on my whistling today, Can you, Dan, can you whistle better than I can?
Speaker 4: I can't do the I can't do the loud one with your teeth, so with the fingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there a name for that? Like we have names for everything, we don't have a name for that.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I don't know what it is, but I do want to say something, so you know, I used to I used to anchor in the mornings during the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio years ago, and it had been a while since I had been. You know, we do your show in the afternoon, so our schedules don't match up for listening wise. So Dan and the dan Nets did the best and worst of the weekend. That's what they would do. And so no disrespect to them, it's just our schedules don't match up in what they do. But you know, we do a similar thing with the with the Love and Hate on the Doug Gottlieb Show.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean, I listen, these are not these are no these And as much as it sounds like I'm slamming Cassilli, it's like, look there you go. Oh so good. M So, I mean like, look, Colin used to do, uh what did he used to do? I used to do something when you go around the country, spanning the globe, spanning the globe, right, used to do spanning the globe. So spanning the globe was wildly successful back when he was at ESPN Radio. And so we copied that and we just did We called it zoning, and we would do a person from every time zone.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the idea is like I'll just I'll admit it. It's the old aerosmith's line, which is amateur's borrow professional steel. So that's what took place there was the I was an absolute professional in that one. So anyway, do you wander do the good, the bad, the uglier?
Speaker 4: Do you want to do love and hate or best and worst of the weekend? What do you want to do? Let's do Jason.
Speaker 1: Stewart, Yeah, I mean Joel's got all the sounds for Levin hate.
Speaker 4: Alright.
Speaker 1: Let's douce the nation, the damn Patrick nation to this.
Speaker 2: Let's see a little love and hate, all right? What we love from the weekend. I got a bunch of things I love for the weekend. We'll start with a personal note. The Baltimore Orioles took two out of three from the Colorado Rockies. But dear friend of mine, Matt Holliday, got a chance to go back watch his son play for the Orioles against the Rockies, and they had him throw out the first pitch to his son. But it's the in the first game, Jackson Holiday, who's a rookie for the Baltimore Orioles, hit a triple off the wall, and they showed like flashback videos to when Jackson was like three years old and his dad was playing for the Rockies and he you know, hit like a whiffle ball and went running around the bases Like I thought, that was really cool, really really cool.
Speaker 4: My love on the weekend.
Speaker 2: What do you got there, Jay Stu?
Speaker 1: We just touched upon it last last hour. But I really enjoy watching Caitlin Clark at her peak in those in those brief moments when she does a step back and the logo threes and those passes. That reminds me of what I fell in love with at Iowa. Now he hasn't had as many moments in the pros, but they are getting more and more with each game. If you haven't figured it out. On Friday night, she was the subject of several cheap shots by the Scott and I love seeing on Twitter everyone come to her defense. It's strange that there is a right leaning twist to it. I don't know why the pro Caitlin Clark taking up for her when she's abused like that is like a right leaning take for whatever reason on Twitter, but I think it was unfair on Friday. I love seeing her win that game, and then what yesterday she won again and and Doug, you could speak to this because you were a point guard and you're a coach. I think those early season struggles with the fever was much more about these players trying to get to know her passes, right.
Speaker 2: I think it's some of it. I don't think it's all of it. I think some of it is that she had. It's a it's a much higher level. She still turns the ball over too much, So some of it is knowing you don't need a home run pass. Some of it is them learning how to play with somebody who's a creative passer. So I think there's there's there's various levels to it, various levels to it.
Speaker 4: I also think that the Olympic break did her a world of good. No question, she needed the time off. You called that, by the way, so and I think everybody needed it. I think there's this different feel about Caitlin Clark now after that that month off. Kelsey Mitchell also wasn't available early for the Indiana fever and she had like thirty three yesterday or something. So that also helps the stat from the Caitlin Clark report. Did you see this that you were talking about, Jason, was that of this seventeen percent of the flagrant follows the season you know, they were on Caitlin Clark and all that seventeen percent eighty percent of those are committed by the sky. I don't know if that's official or not, but that's what was circulating, and it's pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: And one person plays for this guy who's a rival of calig Yeah, well.
Speaker 2: I mean, actually it's it's kind of genius. I don't know if she meant to be that way, but it's kind of genius. And that I had no idea she existed on this earth until she committed a couple of fouls, right, made a name for herself. All right, Uh, Dan Byra, would you left in the weekend?
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. In the end, it didn't. It didn't pay off to cheat. But I love Sahith Thigala self imposing a two stroke penalty because he believes that he struck the sand when he was hitting a shot out of the bunker at the Tour Championship. And why is this great? Especially when you hear what was at stake is that it's the honesty. And he said, listen, I don't know if it's one hundred percent sure, but if you asked me one way or another, did I think I hit the sand, yes, or no, I think I did, And that is what is great about golf and say hit Thigala ended up costing himself two and a half million dollars. He didn't know that at the time, but that's what it would have cost him. Is he would have tied Klin Morikawa for second at the Tour Championship yesterday as Scotty Scheffler ended up winning, but he also would have tied Klin Morikawa and could have picked up an official World Golf Ranking victory. They because of the staggered start of the Tour Championship where Scheffler starts out at ten under power and his shots ahead. The World Golf rankings don't look at that. They look at what your actual score was, and so Thigala would have gotten an official World Golf Ranking victory because he had. Marikawa would have tied for the for the lowest score, but it didn't happen because he called the penalty out himself on Saturday, something that other players in the sport of golf would not do.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got one another thing. I love college football being back. Just love it. And look, I'm we're all fully aware that the level of play is not that of the NFL and not the NFL level of play to start the season's gonna be great. But I don't know who has loved college football being back, and you know, Mile Motyn it nothing short of remarkable what Mike Gundy has done. I mean, you go and look historically at how bad Oaklham State football has been and now completely sold out all season long. They got I think a tough game with Arkansas this weekend at home, but uh, creating a program kind of from scratch a little bit right, he stripped it down and rebuilt it. But just watching college football, the school colors, the band, still love it, not perfect, still love it.
Speaker 1: I liked watching our guy that the Tommy Trojan missed with the sword last night. He had a tough time with that.
Speaker 2: Well, there was something going on underneath the service.
Speaker 4: There was they played on the turf last night, which is what UNLV does. Raiders play on grass, and so.
Speaker 1: I thought, I think there's still a chance if you talked to him today that he pulled a muscle, you know, there's something an elbow injury or like, because he he thought there was going to be some given that there wasn't and we all we've all kind of felt that before.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to what we hated from the weekend. Our resident hater is Jason Stewart. I'm sure you got a lot of am O go.
Speaker 1: So this is going to be masked. My hate is going to be massed to promote Sho Hao Tani. Sho Hao Tani has lived up to the contract. He lived up to the hype. So few free agents ever live up to what they signed for, and Shohy has lived up to it. And we haven't even gotten his pitching arm yet, and so I have to give him credit. But this is what I hate about what he did this weekend. So I don't know if you're aware of this. If you were on Twitter when he did it, you're definitely aware of it. All the Baseball Dorks told us that in the history of baseball, it goes back one hundred and forty some odd years, Nobody in the history of baseball has ever hit forty three home runs and stolen forty three bases in the same season. Nobody's ever done that. The reason why we don't know that because forty three and forty three just doesn't quite have the ring doesn't come off the tongue as much. But this is what I don't want to hear, because he is forty fourth last night. If he steals his forty fourth tonight, I don't want the same baseball nerds to be like, hey sho, hey o Tani, the first player in the history of baseball to have forty four stolen bases and forty four home runs. How about we do this. Let's see what he comes up up at the end of the year, and then you can make that grand proclamation of what he did. We don't have to go home run by home run on this one. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dan Byer, Okay. I'm gonna stick with golf, but I'm gonna make this personal. If you guys ever broke in a club on the course, of course you've seen me golf right, then you may have done it out of anger. I did not do it out of anger. I broke a club on a swing, and I broke a pitching wedge, and it went awful feeling because now you're like, listen, a pitching wedge is a club that you would like to use and would use it maybe more often than say a six hire. Like if you don't have a six iron, you can hit five or seven. I think pitching wedge a little bit more focused on what you want to dial in. So I am now without a pitching wedge because it's snapped right on the hozzle after trying to hit a shot that was right at the edge of a bunker below my feet. But to make things worse at the course that I did it the New TPC Wisconsin, just north of Madison. The day that I play, guys, did I played okay? I didn't. I didn't play great, but I played okay and was like, boy, it's a tough track. Some kids shot fifty nine that same day that I did, So like this realization of how actually bad I am at golf. I thought the course was was a tough course. Steve Stricker a huge, huge hand because it's basically his course in the design of it. And I left being like, man, this is going to be tough. Champions Tour is going to be here next year. And some kid goes and lights it up for a fifty nine on the exact same day that I played, Absolutely demoralizing and it's why I hate golf.
Speaker 1: Doug, did you hear that? Did you hear that hate was masked as just a big humble brack.
Speaker 2: It was. There were several humble bracks, a lot of humble brack. I played at this incredible course. I had a week of golf. You Sluman, Steve Stricker.
Speaker 4: It's just for people to relate. That's the work I've played with Steve Stricker.
Speaker 2: Dann, We're messing with you.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I know, I get. I'm going with a bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got, I got some of my hey this weekend. I I'm just annoyed by the Colorado thing. That again, I understand when it took place. It took place Thursday, But like if we if we wrap up what happened in college football, it's the fact that there's an expression in coaching you're either coaching it or you're allowing it, right, And all Deon Sanders has tried to do is tell us how great Shadoor Sanders is. And look, I've coached my kid. I know it's not easy. I understand it's not easy. But less than two minutes to go and North Dakota State has one time out and Shador Sanders tries to pad his stats. Ever, there's no possible logical understanding reason other than that, right, and Dion his dad, but also as head coach, like Nazi, he's a great kid. He was trying to get his teammate a score. And then the reporters they're all in on it too. They're like, well, your dad said you were trying to get him a score instead of just asking like what were you think on the first down? And then Store is like, yeah, I got to learn from that. Well if it wasn't a mistake, why'd you have to learn from it? The fact that Dion can't even publicly say what is he doing? We're trying to win a game. He's trying to pad his stats and win a Heisman trophy Like that ain't how we roll here, you know, And and like look, the difference is pretty obvious. JJ McCarthy. I don't know how good he is, but the Minnesota Vikings seem to think he's really really good. And Michigan last year they go to Penn Sate, they didn't throw it once in the second half. You know why, because all they want, all they came there to do is to win the game. And I just I'm embarrassed for the coaching profession that you have a head coach, especially one who receives the shine that Deon Santa does, and he doesn't. He can't even hold his kid accountable. Like this is what people hate about people coaching their kids. Most of us who coach our kids hold our kid to a higher, higher standard, because that's what it means to be a coach's kid. You gotta be perfect and then even better than that. So I just I'm still mad about that, infuriated by how that looks anyone else. We're good, all right, We're good, and that's love and hate. He's Dan Byrom Doug Gottlieb. How badly do the Niners need to win?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Or do they need to get the Trent Williams done deal done in order to win? We'll discuss next.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Dan Patrick Show at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock Act.
Speaker 4: He's Mike Krmen, I'm Dan Byern. We have a fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flex.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 6: Every week we're going to scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbo boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 4: Listen to I Want Your Flex with Mike Carmon and me Dan Byer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts at wherever you get your podcasts. Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio a Labor Day edition. I'm Dan Byer, It's me and Doug Gottlieb here Ax Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Dan, we do this thing every year right where we act like only one team's under pressure. But I do think that there is a certain point which the Niners, Hey, they've they've climbed the mountain. They've gotten there. But Rock Perty's very likely to get paid for next year, so you know, they're just trying to manage and keep these things together. They got the Auke deal done, still waiting on the Trent Williams thing done. And Trent Williams is a guy that he's shown he'll set out for money in the past. Where are you on the Niners heading into the season.
Speaker 4: Now, this is the last shot of this window, so I think it's it's right here because the window changes after party gets paid.
Speaker 2: I completely agree with you, Completely agree with you. But how close are they? Are they better than last year? Are they different than last year? You know a guy who would know is Dante Whitner. They called him Dante Hitner back when he played for the Bills and of course the Niners. He covers them for NBC Sports Bay Area. Okay, so Dante, assuming they get Trent Williams back, is this team better than last year's team?
Speaker 3: I believe that they're similar than last year's team. I think one area where they're better is on the defensive line. They revamped that front. They went out and got Malie Collins, who's a big run stuff for a front. He'll keep Fred Warner in that line back and Core Free. They brought in Elliott, They brought in Matos for that defensive end that can set the edge, understands his job, that's his primary focus. And they went out and got Leonard Floyd to tandem with Nick Bosa to be able to take a lot of pressure off the secondary and get back to the dominant defense run defense, that they're customed to the plane, and we know that that feeds into what Kyle Shanahan wants to do with run the ball on offense RPOs. And they have all their playmakers back. Rob Purty has taking another step forward. So I think this team is better than last year's team, but they have to prove it. They have to go out there and execute, have to stay healthy, and they have to get Trent Williams most importantly, what were.
Speaker 4: The challenges that you guys faced in trying to get back to the Super Bowl after falling to the Ravens, because I would assume there have to be similar challenges that this team is going to face after falling short to the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Well, the challenges come internally and each individual has to look themselves in the mirror in every year and say, am I dedicated? Am I willing to put the work in inside the building and outside the building to help get us back to the championship game. In the NFC Championships, and we had a bunch of veterans who were hungry and who were in contract years, and we went out and we performed and then we had some luck we stay healthy. So I think that this forty nine Ers organization, and they have a culture of consistently competing for championships, and they have the individuals in that locker room. So I would say the biggest, the hardest thing is each individual looking themselves in the mirror and actually putting the work in each year to have the outcome that they've had.
Speaker 2: They talked about using McCaffrey less in the regular season, keep him fresher for the postseason. Is that a reality? Can they actually get away with that?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I haven't seen it in the past. Kyle Shanahan hasn't done that in the past, even with Christian McCaffrey. So I know that this forty nine Ers coaching staff knows that this offense runs through Christian McCaffrey. Sometimes you can just give him the ball, it doesn't have to be blocked up properly, and he's going to make something happen. He's their second best route runner on offense as a receiver, so he's a thread out of the backfield. So this offense runs through Christian McCaffrey. I don't think they'll try to take any off of his load. If you've seen him in training camp, this year. He looks phenomenal other than when he hurt the calf. So before the calf he was phenomenal. But he looks like he's going to be ready to go week one versus the Jets.
Speaker 4: How does how does the situation like what happened to Ricky Pearsall over the weekend? Were you were you with Pearsall at all of the the in the most recent days, you know, leading up to this incident on Saturday where you know, there was an attempted robbery and for those that missed it suffered a gunshot wound to the chest that did not strike any vital organs and Pearsall was released in the hospital yesterday. But but how does that sort of incident affect this team? And have you have you spoken with Pearsall recently?
Speaker 3: The ironic thing is I was a Ricky Piersall at an autograph signing in Daily City and we changed numbers. We spoke about the NFL season, a little bit about him being healthy and being ready to go week one. We changed numbers. I left, went to the airport, He left and went, you know, to a shopping area in San Francisco, and then I get a call say then he was somebody tried to rob him and he got shot. So I immediately sent him a message. He returned my message yesterday said everything was good.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: We were just together, and you know, it's just a learning experience for a lot of other guys out there. You have to always be aware just surroundings. You have to understand that you're a target, whether you want to believe so or not. So it's probably best to not wear a lot of those things in public right now, especially with the economic situations that's going on. And I'm glad that Ricky came out healthy. It was only God on their side. When you get shot in the chest and it doesn't hit any internal organ, that's God on your side. So I'll pray for speedy recovery for Ricky and you know, for you know, peace for his family through the situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is it is absolutely crazy, Just a crazy, crazy story. Dante Whitner joining US NBC Sports Bear Area Corner pro bowler. He's joining US. I'm Doug Gottlieban for Dan and the Dan Nets here on the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. The you know, the Seahawks gone gone through some changes obviously, the Rams. You know, you lose the most dynamic defensive player. Uh, maybe in the entire league still in Aaron Donald, and you know the Cardinals are fairly competitive. Is there any legit challenger to the Niners in their division?
Speaker 3: I don't believe.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: I think that the forty nine ers are above, heads, above and beyond more talented than all those units. They all the forty nine ers have more continuity, they have more veteran leadership, and they've proven that they can get it done. And in the NFL, when you consecutive, consecutively beat teams in your division, there's a mental hurdle it they have to get over in order to beat the forty nine ers and then come into Santa Clara and beat the forty nine ers at home. So they have to prove that they can do that, which is going to be a tough feat. You have that championship, DNA, it's tough to take it. So it takes me back to the times when we had those clashes with the Seattle Seahawks, you know, during the horrball days. And I don't just I don't see anybody in the in the division that has that type of mental fort two in the type of physical for or two that the forty nine ers consistently have put on display. So I don't don't think so. The four niners are above are the best team you know, by far in that division.
Speaker 4: That may be a perfect transition to what your former coach is now facing with the Chargers. Do they have enough personnel to be successful? How do you think the Bolts will do in your one under Jim Marball.
Speaker 3: I think they'll do great. I went on the Ky Adams Show earlier this offseason and I predicted that I believe that he'll have the LA Chargers team in the AFC Championship. Me knowing, yeah, me knowing Jim Harball. And a lot of this is, you know, a lot of it is just attention to detail. It's holding guys accountable, which is why you hear a lot of organizations. Once Jim Harball leaves, he ruffles some feathers because he knows how to get it done and it's going to be his way of the highway, and that's where everybody involved. And then he has this thing where you're not going to be late for any meeting, You're not going to have any mental errors, You're going to be early. You're going to be a team player, whether you like it or not. And then having a quarterback, right, he's going to have a running game. He's going to have a dominant running game, a running game, a quarterback, and two edge rushers that can get after quarterbacks. This is the perfect situation for Jim Harbaugh to make his arrival back onto the NFL scene. So I'll predict that he's going to have this Chargers team in the AFC Championship.
Speaker 2: Dante Whitner, Dante, great stuff as always, man, Thanks so much for joining us here on the Dan Patrick Show. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, guys. Have a good one.
Speaker 2: Dante Whitner joined us, of course, you can see his work on NBC Sports Bay Area with Dan Byro. I'm Doug Gollybian for Dan and the Dan Nets. That is a crazy story, right where you're hanging out with a guy and then all of a sudden he get shot. He got shot in the chest and then was fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, spent a night in the hospital and it's crazy, but it's not as crazy when you consider that Brian Robinson and the Commanders was remember karjacked two years ago. Go leading up to the season, and he was shot a couple of times, you know, in the leg ended up returning and playing that season. But this is just, I mean, it's just it's it's it's crazy to think that this happened again. Yes, like, but it did. And yeah, thank goodness that he is he is okay, and hopefully he makes, you know, the type of recovery that that Brian Robinson ended up making.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's the It's the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio with Dan Byer. I'm Doug gallib Okay, So what is your level of buy in on the Niners.
Speaker 4: It's tough, Like I thought that Trent Williams thing was just I don't want to show up to training camp and maybe because the season is so long, maybe you don't want Trent Williams playing all seventeen games. This allows him to to, you know, do what he needs. But now with a Yuke in, they are all in on the season. But I don't know on how that sort of off season is conducive to this season. And he talked about the challenges of trying to come back from a Super Bowl loss, and remember they made it to the NFC Championship Game, where then Richard Sherman had the breakup pass on Michael Crabtree and the interception by Malcolm Smith to steal it for the Seahawks. But they were knocking on the door again of a back to back Super Bowl and then is not easy to do when you lose it. And I just think that there are challenges in trying to take that whole road back. I mean, they were an overtime away from winning a Super Bowl and now you got to do it all again. I just think that there are going to be hiccups this season that we just can't see right now. With the forty nine ers.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't think there's any question. There's any question. I'll tell you. The thing I do like that they've done is many teams I think we talked about this a lot. Teams that lose Super Bowls, it usually takes them longer to get back than does ten teams that win the Super Bowls. And why is that? And we have this a lot with team that when they go to conference championship games or conference finals in basketball ahead of maybe ahead of schedule, is that your results of the playoffs make you think you're closer than you are. And so you're like, oh, one player here or one player there, like that doesn't get you over the hump. You got to continue with whatever kind of got you there. And that's what I like about the Niners is to this point they haven't made drastic moves. They're trying to run it back, and I do think like this is kind of the last year of it right where you just kind of try and get through. And you know, Deebo Samuel's the guy they resigned, was that they going back to last year. It's basically two year deal, so you see, if you can keep him healthy. Trent Williams like he's still very good, He's not what he was a couple of years ago, and so you got to factor all that in with the new contract that's coming for brock Perty. So I like the fact that they haven't changed a ton and that they'll have more cohesion. But again, we've seen so many of these teams, not named the Patriots lose the Super Bowl and then fall off the next year that that has happened a lot a lot in this league. The thing I think it's interesting is I think the NFC is incredibly competitive. You know, for a long time we've talked about the AFCU, but I think that division. I think the Rams offensively can be special, and defensively, we'll see without Aaron Donald, you know, like I actually think the Cardinals are gonna be pretty good. But the bigger one is, you know you had Eagles, you got The NFC North, I think is better across the board. Obviously we saw how good the Lions were last year. Well, I think we all think the Packers should be better with most of their whole team back and with a new defense. The NFC South is really kind of the unknown. It doesn't look great on paper, but oftentimes that that surprises m Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only thing that I would say to that in the NFC overview because the team that I'm picking going to the super Bowl is the Detroit Lions. And the thing that I love about Detroit is I haven't heard anything about Detroit this preseason. And I think that is aside from a Jamier Gibbs injury that he should be fine for this Sunday's game against the Rams, there's nothing. There's nothing from Detroit, and I think that is exactly how you want it. I think there's questions in Philadelphia, there's questions in Dallas. You mentioned the NFC South. I think we think Atlanta can challenge Tampa Bay, but that in that you know NFC North Division, where we think the Bears and Packers are going to be the teams, and they're the ones that they're getting the hype. I actually love that no one is talking about the Lions.
Speaker 2: It's fair point, pair point, and we don't know. You know what we'll see from the Vikings with Sam Donald's quarterback Caleb Williams on paper appears to be a little better, But you're right for alliance. For a team that has been thrust into the spotlight after years and years of misery, you would think there'd be some trash talks, some bragged dosies, anything off the field, and Dan Campbell's bunch hasn't given us any of that.
Speaker 4: Nothing at all. It's hazy nothing.
Speaker 2: It's almost like they don't exist, which is how most of those guys, most of those coaches like it. He's Dan Byrom Doug Gottlie. Many consider Labor Day a symbolic end the summer, so we'll do it like a summer memories drop next to The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 5: Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 2: It's the Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio. So today is the official or unofficial last day of summer, right Dan?
Speaker 4: Unofficial? Yes, the official is in like three weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay. If I have a piece, I have a I've become a big note ticker if I were to write down the ten best things from the summer twenty twenty four sports because there's lots of other nonsports stuff which have been really fun in the summer, but sports wise, what would what would be on the list? We're brainstorming here, so Jay Stu you can hop in this one as well. Joel, you can happen if you know something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll start right off the gate. I always think that the the Olympics, yep, bring you know, would bring stuff to the headlines. Lebron crowning himself when the French fans were cheering for that, Leon Marshaan at the the arena definitely a top ten moment for me this summer and then he obviously crowned himself on the metal stand, which was fine, but when he thought they were cheering for him and they weren't one of the best, one of the best.
Speaker 1: We can I add subcategories to that, one that these don't need to be independent, These don't need to be a part of the official list. But breakdancer Raygun was amazingly amusing the reaction to her, Yeah, I mean she was off just awful. And then the pole vaulter who had the junk interfere with the gold.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, two.
Speaker 1: Of the biggest takeaways from the Olympics. I don't know if that that says the Olympics were a success or not, but.
Speaker 2: The three of the funniest things that have happened.
Speaker 1: And I guess that's what sicks for us because I don't watch the Olympics. I just watch how people react to the Olympics, and that's the only stuff that was on my to.
Speaker 2: I feel me either, but I would say, like Steph Curry four three is to win the gold medal, Yeah, it was pretty awesome. And then the Martian dude, I thought, watching, Uh, why am I blanking on famous swimmer holds? All the records. Cheering for Marshan to break his records was pretty amazing as well.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what. Another thing that I think we're going to get sick of but is funny is the Katie ledecky mean yea where she's in the lane and uh, actually she's waiting.
Speaker 2: She one and then she's waiting for everybody else. Well she's like, she's like, I wish she would have done the whole lookier watch thing, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's so great. There's just there's also just the screenshot if she's the only swimmer in the picture. Our buddy Nicope here at Fox Sports Radio, I think I got a family member that that texted him or said to him, why is Katie Ladecki swimming in a different direction as all the other swimmers? Yeah, because she was that far ahead.
Speaker 2: I can't think of anything baseball, So tell me something baseball. I know, I know Showeytan is awesome. I know he's gonna be the first forty four or forty four guy. I know he's gonna, you know, gonna be a fifty to fifty guy or get close to. But what what is the one thing from the summer.
Speaker 4: Summer of Judge, Aaron Judge leading the Yankees, done another historic season.
Speaker 2: Okay, do we have anything football wise?
Speaker 4: Yes? What you ready for this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Off season hard Knocks with the New York Giants.
Speaker 2: Great, that's going it was.
Speaker 4: It was one of those things that I did not think would be anything, and it turned out to be the greatest thing. It reminds me of Boy Meets World. I was not in on Boy Meets World when it was When it was on and my buddy in college said, I love Boy Meets World. So I started to watch it because he watched it, And now to this day, I still love to watch old Boy Meets World episodes. I can't believe that I wasn't on that train earlier. But that's how I felt about this Hard Knocks as I was ready to poop poo it. Then I saw one episode ten minutes in and I was I was hooked.
Speaker 1: I've never watched one episode of boy it Meets World. Is it worth tapping into?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's It's it's just good family sitcom that is funny. I think the characters are great. Yeah, I love Boy Meets World.
Speaker 1: No, the I think the the opposite of the off season Hard Knocks this training camp, Hard Knocks has gotten almost zero buzz, like what's going on. The narratives just superficial. I watched the no I feel like they finished one.
Speaker 2: They've been well. I mean the big thing is you're not in the GM room, right, I mean there's no there's no Ryan Pace there, whereas everything with the Giants with Joe Shane and it was really really interesting Ryan Poles, right, Ryan Poles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the old one was Ryan Pace.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Ryan Poles, my mistake. Ryan Poles wanted nothing, wants nothing to do with sharing any sort of any sort of the stuff going on behind the scenes, whereas yeahs did.
Speaker 4: And as we found out that mccaskeys don't want them to swear, so there's no swearing. It's a really it's a it's a difficult recipe and it makes you wonder on how they made it work early, like how did it become so good?
Speaker 1: More access and the cuts they don't do the brutal cuts anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, and now I'll tell you what having the only the one cutdown day like you used to have the two that you could you know, maybe a guy would be bounced early. But you're also then guessing on who makes it and who doesn't make it. Yeah, there's a lot that, but I think that the point of the Giants and the inside access to that GM room and the conversations with the coaches and being candid and the combine is everything that we wanted, and in fact, I think that's what we also loved about the original Hard Knocks, the Joe philbin O Cho Sinko conversation, that's what we loved about it. But we don't get that anymore.
Speaker 2: No, we don't, And I don't understand the overprotective nature from these teams. Like every Hard Knocks I've ever ever watched, you walk away from loving everything about the team, like they do a great job of painting in a way in which, you know, there's usually very few negatives. The only one was when they did the Bengals and what's his name, Harrison, the Steeler who was there for one year, Like he just didn't want Harris James Harrison. He was just he was so in character the whole time, You're like, dude, stop. But other than that, I can't remember disliking anybody who's been on Hard Knocks. You know, I thought, you know, JJ Watt was super cheesy and over the top and practices being on like field seven over by himself, you know, when he didn't need to and they're filming it, like making swim moves, like come on, some of that's been cheesy in the past. But yeah, this year just has not hit. And I don't think it's because the Bears aren't interesting. I think they're portraying themselves in the least interesting possible way, as if there's something to protect themselves.
Speaker 4: From anything else. Yeah, I got I got another thing in the world of golf because golf has just been doa for most of the year because of the split between the PGA Tour and Lived Golf. And I had a buddy ask me, what did you remember about the majors this past year and ago? That they were awful? That was my immediate response, and then I said that was actually wrong, because the PGA Championship was exciting and the best thing about it was actually the US Open, Rory McElroy and Bryson to Shambo going down to the wired Rory missing the two putts on sixteen and eighteen. But it was also the evolution of Bryson to Shambo becoming this guy that now everybody was loving and this this new personality and to see his excitement, and it started at the PGA and carried over to the US Open. As a golf fan, that's what you want. And on of course, like Pinehurst number two, it was great theater. It didn't carry over anywhere. There wasn't any lasting effect of it. But you want to talk about summer memories, I'll remember the twenty twenty four US Open and how it ended.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to remember. Was it the PGA Championship where the best golfer in the world got arrested? Yes, sunny show. Yeah, I was going to read I remember that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't May, but close enough.
Speaker 1: That's the unofficial start of summer.
Speaker 4: That counts. Okay, that count? Joel?
Speaker 2: Does that count? Does May count? May counts? Right? I mean it's this count golf or.
Speaker 4: Some schools are out. Sure, I'll give you that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right. Any any of your other best ten best things this summer? I do think ray Gun definitely tops the list, as as does the favorite pole vaulter of Jason.
Speaker 4: I love how no one mentioned anything with the NBA finals.
Speaker 1: Jason Tatum's gonna be posted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that was the summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I guess we'll never know. That's me mocking Jason Tatum. That was Yeah, that's that's all it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that was I guess they'll never know. For Dan Byer, for Jason Stewart. From my guy Joel, I'm Doug Gottlieb. This has been the Dan Patrick Show. Your summer, well, your summer's over in like fifteen hours, so go make the best of it and the boys will be back tomorrow. You can check out The Doug Gottlieb Show daily three to five Eastern twelve two