Speaker 1: Welcome into a Wednesday edition that Texans All Access from the Honday Texans a radio studio. I am your host, John Harris, football analystis sideline reporter for your Houston Texans. Getting ready for what could be a wet Sunday afternoon against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: It won't be, but it could be, but a big one. Nonetheless Week three Division opponent ozeroing two. Gotta get a win. Jaguars very excited to see what the Texans are bringing to North Florida. They are very excited to see Houston. They two years ago did mention one word about the Houston Texans. This year, all the talk is about the Houston Texans coming to North Florida to take on the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to that. Now we got plenty on the show.
Speaker 1: We've got Florida, Jacksonville, Florida native Xavier Hutchinson. Although Saint John's County is not Duval County, it's close enough. Saint John's County is kind of neighboring county where I got married, et cetera. So Xavier Hutchinson, He's going to join us talk about Jacksonville, to talk about life out of state, talk about this team, his role at wide receivers, who'll have excell leader to the show, speaking of Jacksonville. Man behind the mics, Frank Frangie is going to join the show. Our good friend Mark catches up with him, talk Jags. We'll do that a little later to the show, Mark obviously, and I will break down the quarterbacks in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Some report cards came out for Week two in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Do you agree or disagree with the grades that were handed out, including the great handed out to our own CJ. Stroud, which I don't agree with, uh, but you know their expectations built in, but I didn't agree with it. We'll talk about that in our next segment. By kicking off the show as he does each and every Wednesday, Executive vice president general manager of your Houston Texans, Nick Cassario.
Speaker 2: Here is Mark me Nick.
Speaker 3: Now joining us Now executive vice president and general Manager Nick Cassario.
Speaker 4: Nick, good to see you, fellows. How we doing doing well?
Speaker 3: Okay, so owing to let's talk about game won a Game two improvement improved in a lot of areas, but you didn't get the win.
Speaker 4: How do you see the big picture?
Speaker 5: Here, Nick, Yeah, similar really both games and say both came down to the last possession of the game. So some areas we improved, like you mentioned, didn't turn the ball over for the most part, took decent care of the ball. I mean they dropped a couple of interceptions, but in the end like no turnovers. You know, got to do a better job and thirn down collectively as a team. You know, tackling certainly showed up in a game against Tampa as well, so.
Speaker 4: We can improve in subtlely in some of those areas. The margins are small in.
Speaker 5: This league, so it's just we got to get back to work and try to find ways to get better. I mean, we can't sit around and worry about what happened. What happened happened. So now we just got to focus on Jacksonville and try to play good, clean football.
Speaker 1: Nick, before the game, always asked you three different keys, and I asked you about special teams and special teams.
Speaker 2: Last night showed up in a big way.
Speaker 1: Jalen with the number of returns he had and then Yakub with the block punt to really keep the team in the game.
Speaker 4: What were your thoughts about him?
Speaker 2: What overall they did.
Speaker 5: Sure, and we talked before the game was really gonna come down to third down, explosive plays in the kicking game, and felt there was an opportunity for us to make a play in a kicking game. We made multiple plays so kind of kept us in the game in some respects. Anytime you block a punt and return the ball, multiple explosive returns. Got close on a field goal block attempt, I mean Will kind of went around it and the ball ended up going kind of underneath them and hit the upright, so it made some plays in the kicking game. We felt that was an area that could potentially played our advantage and you know, certainly number of positives in that area. Like I said, we talked about third down and think just third down is going to be an important emphasis for for Jacksonville. One of the better third down teams in the league. And the explosive plays. So had our moments where we were able to create some. We didn't give up too too many, but they got a couple of chunks. So but that's that's what this league is about and ultimately that's what games come down to.
Speaker 3: Ed Ingram was back at guard and that reconfigured the line again, Nick, and you drive down the field opening possession and put the ball in the end zone with the throw from CJ to Nico. After that we had the field goal drive. But what happened to stall the offense until the fourth quarter we scored some more points.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean credit to Tampa.
Speaker 5: They did some good things defensively, probably could have handled some looks a little bit better than we did. But you know, we just got to be able to execute when when it matters most first two drives, like you mentioned, you know, positive plays, and really we got a first down, first and goal and then we got called back with a holding penalty. So penalty is a little bit of an issue collectively as a team, and it's just those plays are potentially going to impact winning in a negative way, and you know, coming to find out if that was the case, you know, the other night against Tampa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. But offensively, you're seeing some things from young guys. Your Woody Marx comes in there, does some good things. You know, Jayden Higgins has that big catch across the middle that makes a play, and obviously Jalen in the return game which sparks the offense at that point.
Speaker 2: You've seen the things you want from some of your young.
Speaker 1: Guys, and obviously they didn't mention Arianta Ersari, who played all game and left tackle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, any player, just your job is to take advantage of your opportunities however they present themselves, and we had a number players who have done that. We have good players. We feel like we have a good team. We haven't played good enough football to win. I bet that's the real hell of the NFL. But those young players are here for a reason and we feel that as they continue to grow and evolve, and if you're productive, you're going to get more opportunities. So we'll see how it all comes to fruition here moving forward.
Speaker 3: You mentioned third down on offense and two for nine, and I know you want to see that number be a lot better. What goes into that being in third and short or Hey, if we can convert a couple more of these than we have three and more carries or so, and that affects the running game, It effects everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sure, I mean the goal is to try to stay out of third and longer yardist situations, and number of those third downs were longer yardist situations. It puts you in a little bit of a disadvantageous position, and Tampa has a pretty good blitz package. They were able to execute that times where we were there where we kind of had them accounted for and had them blocked, but they were still able to make a play. But third down is usually a product the first and second down, so all of it's tied together both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: Really, Nick, I always think about this, go back with me. Two thousand and seven, Michigan gets beat by Apple Watch and State. The next week, still kind of with a hangover from that, Oregon comes in or there's a good football team, but Oregon beats Michigan because it felt like Michigan was still kind of lingering on that lost applatch in State. How do you make sure that this loss last on Monday night doesn't linger it to the week against Jacksonville.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just the reality the NFL. I mean, it takes a certain level of discipline of mental toughness, So you can't let what happened the previous week impact what's going to happen the following week. We understand the challenges that are in front of us. Jacksonville is a good football team, let's talk about here in a minute. They certainly improved. So that's part of your job is to take inventory of what happened in the game, put that to bed, and then get ready for the next opponent, which in this case is Jacksonville. So it's going to take a collective effort. We're confident the people that we have in the building, but it's going to take a certain level of discipline, commitment, and mental toughness because that's what this league is about.
Speaker 3: Let's talk more about the passing game here, because Nico Collins made some big plays for you know that you're lacking in the tight end department, but you elevated Harrison Bryant, Dalton Schultz made some big plays.
Speaker 4: What do you see it over the overall there?
Speaker 3: Nick and John talked about the rookies getting that more involved. Easier said than done sometimes, but they are contributing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody that's on the field making contribution to some capacity, and on offensively only had forty six forty seven plays, so really weren't on the field for that many plays. So however, many plays that you're allotted go out there, do you execute your assignment? Do you know your assignment number one, UM or two. Can you go out there and execute it and can you make a play when your number is called? And there are multiple examples of that, and Orre's multiple examples week one. So we just got to kind of continue to build on those things and figure out what are some of the things that we're doing well and try to accentuate those as we move forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harrison speaking Harrison Bryant. Harrison had a really nice block in the touchdown run for Nick. Was he entitled, did a nice job there. Okay, put the bucks in the rear view mirror.
Speaker 1: Thank god, get that game out, think everybody nice little gut punch. Didn't feel so good about it. But let's move forward to the Jacks in Jacksonville. A lot of the same names, but a new head coach, kind of a new vision, new everything.
Speaker 2: Nick Scouting report of the.
Speaker 5: Jackson Yeah, they've been very strategic about how they build a team. To your point, there's some carryover from previous years, but then say there's new say leadership with James and Liam kind of come in and put their imprint on the team.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Hired Anthony Campanelli on the defensive side of the ball, who's a very well respected coach, and then Grant you Dinsky's the offensive coordinator. You know, Liam calls the plays, but they kind of work in unison and Heath Farwell is a carryover from the previous staff. Is one of the better special teams coaches in the league. So it's kind of a blend of some new faces and new philosophies with some some existing players.
Speaker 4: But good football team. They've played really well.
Speaker 5: The one thing that they've done they've taken the ball away from especially defensive, they've taken the ball away. I think they have seven turnovers. There's six or seven turnovers over the first two games. They've almost eclipsed their total from last season. Starting a defensive side of about really strong, I would say, formidable front, really good edge players, you know tray Von and Heinz Allen. Heines Allen's one of the best defensive players in the league. Consistently causes problems for the opponent. Big inside with Hamilton and Armstead. They made a trade there at the at the end of the training camp acquired Saunders and then they signed guard Deck in free agency. He is kind of giving them a good place, kind of a hybrid a defensive end or outside linebacker, good kicking game player, and then you know the strategic signing. I would say Jordan Lewis, who they kind of earmarked to me, the nickel has been a really good player inside the formation, Tyson Campbell, it's been a kind of a mainstay of there and a perimeter and they're kind of rotating opposite him with Jerry and Jones, and they given Hunter some steps on the perimeter, a corner and Eric Murray's done a really good job for them in the first two games, so he's kind of solidified that safety position him and wingers, so they do a good job defensively. Carrid a lot of problems for the offense, and offensively, Liam's done a good job, I would say, of kind of putting his imprint on a system. Trevor's playing really good football. They have really good skill, they have explosive skill. They're fast. Brian Thomas, deanmi Brown. They signed free agency Travis when he's on the offensive side of the ball, I mean he's fast. I mean the two running backs, I mean Twoton's fast, Etn's fast, you know, and Strange just kind of emerges is the lead tight end and a pretty They made a number of changes on the offensive line. Looks like those players have worked out. And then then the kicking game, probably three of the best specialists combined between the kicker little you know, Metistic, the long snapper you know, and then they're punters. So they do a good job. It's a good football team. They're one and one. I mean, honestly, they probably should have beat Cincinnati the other day. Kind of came down to the end of the game, the last play where Cincinnati converted the sneak and that would end up being the difference in the game. So certainly a challenge playing on the road in the division against a good football team who's certainly improved.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna have to make sure we're ready to go.
Speaker 3: Et N I don't know whether to call it a renaissance or he's finally coming into his own how would you describe it, because he's making it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's always been a good player.
Speaker 5: Early on, it was kind of injuries, and he's healthy and he's fast and he's explosive, and they've given him a number of opportunities. He's their leading rusher week one. I mean, he had some chunk runs very explosive when he hits a whole. Tuton is very similar in that respect the guy who came out in the draft his past year. He's fast, I mean really fast. I mean they think they felt good about about Touton and Alan who they drafted, and they were able to move on from Bigsby. But Etn certainly creates a lot of problems if there's a crease. I mean, he can hit the home run at at any point.
Speaker 1: What are you seeing, Nick, and how they're using Travis, because I know there's so much talk about what Travis was gonna do. Is he's gonna play both ways, He's gonna be just transcendent. How are they using Travis on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're kind of I'd say this past weekend Cincinnati, he was a little more balanced defensively and offensive it looks like and defensively he's playing on a perimeter a little bit more than situational. It's kind of like we'll call it the third corner then offensively the third to fourth receiver, depending on however they're deploying them.
Speaker 4: But he's athletic, very athletic.
Speaker 5: I mean, he has very good hand eye coordination, runs well, has good quickness, he's a smart kid. He's a really good kid, you know, coming out. So they've done a good job and he's a big part of what they're doing both now and in the future.
Speaker 3: What's the early review on Trevor Lawrence and the effect that Liam Cohne and his staff are having on the quarter But.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Liam's done a good job historically over his career with quarterbacks. And we saw Baker the other night. I mean, Baker had a career year last year, you know with Liam, and Trevor's off to a good start. So doing a pretty good job taking care of the ball. I mean, I think he threw one the other day, one or two the other day, but for the most part, making good decisions. It's a quarterback friendly system that they employ. So between him and Grant, you know, they doing a good job of putting him in a position to succeed.
Speaker 1: You use the word fast a few times as you were, well, Dimie Brown, he's fast, and Travis hunder Chee's fast and toot and ran like a four to three to two at the combine. It felt like that was their mo o, like we're going out and we're getting speed. We're gonna be as fast on offense as we could possibly be. How do you see that kind of manifest itself in the way they play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shows up on the tape, shows up on the tape defensively as well. I mean Eric runs well, Eric's fast. I mean Travis is fast. I mean Jordan Lewis, you know, is fast. So I think the overall athleticism, they made a concentrated effort your peers to incorporate more athleticism and speed to kind of compliment some of the bigger players on the offensive defensive side of the ball, and they're seeing the fruits their labor sources speed.
Speaker 3: Nick talking about the Texans offense, and you talked about some things that need improvement, some things that looked good against Tampa Bay and even against the Rams.
Speaker 4: How important is patients? I know you want to win.
Speaker 3: But also we're looking at a work in progress in many ways because it is a new system and you open against two very tough teams. Can you speak to that a little bit, the process of developing this offense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, early part of the season, you're trying to figure out, really what does your team look like? What do you have? What do you have schematically, what do you have personnel wise? There's certain things we're going to do more of, maybe a little bit more of this, a little bit less of that, and a lot of that is a feel and getting a sense for a what the players are comfortable doing and what they're good at. So it just it takes work. I mean, there's no other way around it. I mean there's no magical formula that has required other than to go out there and do it and to execute and to get some positive reinforcement. If there's something that needs to get fixed, try to work to get it fixed. That's really what this league is about. And it's not going to change whether it's week three or week eighteen.
Speaker 1: Nick, what's the crossover between Grizzard and what he's doing with the Bucks and what Liam's doing with the Jacks. Because Grizzard steps in for coing with the Bucks, did it help it all to face the Bucks to give you kind of a little bit of a preview for the Jags at all?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it needs to be careful because sometimes it's because somebody's worked together been in the same system that it's automatically cutting past. It typically isn't some of the things that Tampa Bay is doing are different than what they did last year. Same thing with Jacksonville. Some of the things that they're doing are different than what Tampa is doing. So maybe there's a baseline sort of foundation that's in place, but ultimately comes back to the players. How are they using those players? Where are they putting them? Because you don't not every team has the same players, So there's some crossover some elements, but it's not a basic cutting paste.
Speaker 3: Nick players around the league, and no matter the team, no matter the player developing that player, how much of it is on coaching versus the individual themselves and what they need to do and figure out for themselves. I know it's got to be a marriage of sorts, but how do you gauge them?
Speaker 4: No, it's a great question mark. It's a combination of everything.
Speaker 5: It's their player's willingness to absorb the information, to take coaching and be able to apply it. Everybody has different mechanisms with which they learn in which they can Some players would rather go out there and do it physically, whether it's a walk through or in practice, as opposed to learning it in a classroom. All a piece of paper and from a coaching perspective, a lot of this is psychology and philosophy of what do we need to do to help the players?
Speaker 4: How do we reach them?
Speaker 5: So it takes a lot of communication, and it takes a lot of work, and it's probably not going to happen overnight.
Speaker 4: It normally doesn't. That's not the case.
Speaker 5: So but we have a number of players that have the right attitude, to have the right mindset, and ultimately it's going to come down to you. You doing your individual job as best you can on a basis.
Speaker 1: So on a Sunday with a Monday game, on a Sunday, are you red zone guy? Are you locked into next opponent? Are you whatever's on TV just popped on? How do you handle Sunday? From from your perspective.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really, it was kind of working on sort of their next opponent, not so much you're aware maybe what's going on in the league, but maybe you're focused on the next few teams that you're gonna play. So whether it's Jacksonville to Tennessee to Baltimore, and it's really off the the exos to the video. If the TV was on, especially on a Sunday, if there's a golf tournament that's on, They're probably going to be watching it, so you don't need a little bit of a distraction. I'm not a big red Zone guy, so I know that it disappoints a lot of people, but it's not my cup of tea.
Speaker 1: No, this has become a very contentious point about people watching games. I would imagine you can watch red Zone, especially you know Jack's coming up probably watching that game, maybe you know tuned into that. But there are some people that like they have to, like I have to have Red Zone on Sunday.
Speaker 5: You know, I could maybe tell you the number of times on one hait less than one hand.
Speaker 4: And I've watched Red Zone.
Speaker 3: So well, you're probably thinking, I'm gonna wait for the all twenty two on the games.
Speaker 4: I know we're gonna get the video. You're gonna watch it, so keep the focus there.
Speaker 3: Does it drive you kind of crazy? Because I know it drives him crazy. Johnny about watching a game on TV in general, because you don't see the whole development development of a play downfield, what's going on with the receivers.
Speaker 4: While the quarterbacks say.
Speaker 5: If you're watching an upcoming opponent, there is some merit to watching the television version of it, but you do kind of lose sight of kind of the big picture. It's kind of you start close and then it pans out to a certain point. But there might be some other things that you could pick up. When we talked about this on a few shows ago, talking about college and watching games live versus watching them on TV and then go back and scouting. So wherever you can gain information from. However you do it, there's merit to it. You just got to be careful of putting stock too much stock in one thing versus the other.
Speaker 1: Getting out seeing college games. No, you've been doing that, that's obviously. It feels like something that you'd like to do as well, to be able to see a game up close and see guys up close, whether it's you know, a game, whether we're on the road just seeing a game up close and just kind of getting a read on early read on guys.
Speaker 2: How how's that going from?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, it's really top to bottom. It's not just these certain players. There are certain graded level of players. I mean, it's anybody from call it sixty four, sixty five down to fifty seven or fifty eight. Those players it might be late to more free agents. So just having a big picture understanding of as many players as possible, understanding that they're going to be relevant. You know, with the University of Houston and you know they've done a good job and they're off to a good start, they're gonna have some players who are gonna factor in. And there's gonna be some of those players that, quite frankly, we're gonna have in the building in the spring for.
Speaker 4: A local day.
Speaker 5: So it's just kind of taken inventory of what's out there, what's going on, who's playing, how are they playing.
Speaker 4: It's really more of a big picture.
Speaker 5: Since as opposed to getting so focused and caught up on one particular player or one particular play.
Speaker 1: I know that we have a bye week coming up, and I don't even know if this is a lot. I know professionals, you others, Scotts from other teams are up in the press box for games. But if you wanted to go see you know, Seattle, because that'll be our opponent after the could you go to that game? Could you scout that live? Yeah, I don't know if you'd want to, but could you do guys out loud? Now, I mean through the advanced scouting process. I mean, that's really the only way that you can do it. I mean there's some other mechanisms that a lot of colleges have tried. The penalized accordingly for that, but I mean, could you go, like, I don't know who Seattle's playing the week before they play.
Speaker 2: Either, but could you go watch that.
Speaker 5: There's certain rules and parameters in place that we have to comply with. So that's not something that's going to be on my dance.
Speaker 4: That figured Nick at practice this time of year.
Speaker 3: We see you during training camp and that's ones against ones and a lot of action and padded practices and things like that. How is it for you? What are you observing this time of year? Full game week mode, a lot of look team against the first teamers on each side of the ball.
Speaker 4: How do you approach it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're just watching that respective side of the ball who was live and just looking at the play and the execution and again kind of a big picture. I mean, you guys see me back there standing. It's really more just to kind of see everything that's going on, and it's not necessarily that you're watching one particular player or just watching part of this is just education from a schematic standpoint. Okay, hey, this player is supposed to be here on this play, and if he's doing the right thing, great, And then you go back and watch a practice film. This way, when you're having discourse or dialogue with the coaching staff, you can kind of talk in an educated fashion. So it's kind of stay back there, kind of stay out of the way, but watch the live sort of side of the balls as it's happening.
Speaker 1: When you go back and you watch practice film, Nick, what do you what is it that you focus on? I mean, you look at everything. Do you look at individuals? K I know you guys film everything.
Speaker 4: Do you look at.
Speaker 1: Individual you look at seven on seven? What is it you kind of focus on what you watch the practice?
Speaker 5: Most of the team team is seven on seven and then you know, some of the individual drills if maybe a player's coming back from something, or watch what he's doing an individual drill hole he's moving.
Speaker 4: So it all depends.
Speaker 5: But most of the team stuff, offense, defense, and special teams kind of go through all three phases and just kind of hey, what happened in practice, how to go what are some things that we can clean up or improve and then just move on to the next day.
Speaker 3: All Right, we were talking about things you watch, and we'll wrap it up with this, because I've been in your office and you have one of the financial channels, So is it going to be CNBC, Bloomberg, Fox Business?
Speaker 4: That's the one that for sure. Just a lot of information up there, and I have.
Speaker 5: The volume down, so it's not necessarily listening to what they're saying. But if there's a guest, or maybe there's a CEO or some leader that's on or an analyst who you follow that might have some insight. There's certain folks, just like anything, you'd like to listen to certain people for information. And my guy's pretty smart, that woman's pretty smart. Oh that's pretty good insight. Oh maybe there's an idea there that causes some generation, whether it's an individual application of your portfolio or just a big picture leadership trend or something else. So try to stay away from the chaos and some of the newsy items. I love the markets. I just enjoy following them on a day to day basis. So part of it is educating myself and just staying informed. And sometimes it's a good release or an outlet from like the Red Zone Channel News.
Speaker 3: Second next week Nick's picks for stocks I have of those.
Speaker 2: Was the last time we had CNBC on our TV.
Speaker 3: Never I think I'd even have to make sure we had it because I wanted to check if Nick was going to be able to get it. Okay, Nick, thanks a lot, good luck this week.
Speaker 4: Thanks fellas.
Speaker 1: Next week, man, we got a lot of things to talk about with Nick and those those might be good for a bye week.
Speaker 2: We'll circle that, all right, we get back.
Speaker 1: Some quarterback report card grades came out from the Bleacher Report, marking out discussed, including what they gave to CJ.
Speaker 2: Stroud.
Speaker 4: Disagree, but we'll.
Speaker 1: Discuss it next right here in Texas Access, Chapping everybody, welcome back this Wednesday edition of Texans All Access from the Texans Radio studio John Harris alongside the Voice of the Texans, Mark Vandermer. Mark, I saw this earlier today and I thought, I love to talk about the NFL, not just the Texans, And we've talked a lot about the Texans, talked a lot about the game with from Monday Night with Nick a Sario previewing the Jags a little bit. I like going around the NFL and talking around talking about the NFL, and so I saw this from Bleacher Report.
Speaker 2: I thought this was interesting. They do report.
Speaker 1: Cards for each week of the NFL for every quarterback, and I thought some of these were interesting. Now the one I haven't seen, and I'm getting this the exact same time that you're getting that, and that is CJ. Stroud from the Texans. And they did this in a grade order if you ca Okay, maybe not. It looks like they did this in alpha. Oh they did an alphabetical team order.
Speaker 4: Oh geez leach.
Speaker 1: Your report gave CJ. Stroud a d well for the first two games. For the game against the Bucks, a d A d well. Look, you lost the game, right lost the game? You didn't You didn't win the game. I feel like I feel like Mike McDaniel right now. You lost the game because you didn't win the game. Had you won the game, you wouldn't have lost the game. John can you follow along?
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 3: I have so many jokes based on that SoundBite with Mike McDaniel, who I happen to like.
Speaker 4: But my gosh, that's really tough.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Look these grades, Johnny, All right, let's say fourth and ten.
Speaker 4: You stop them?
Speaker 3: Is it still a D right or does the grade go up because you actually won the game. And I'm not blaming the loss on the defense. I mean, there's plenty of blame to go around. There is plenty to assign in different areas. Obviously, if you make the stop on fourth and ten, you win the football game, in all likelihood, you still have to kill the clock. They still have timeouts, still got to do those things.
Speaker 4: Yep. So who knows what happens.
Speaker 3: Maybe you miss a field goal, you know, who knows, Maybe they block a field goal.
Speaker 4: Maybe something happens weird.
Speaker 3: Because you can't just take knees because if you took knees after you make that fourth and ten stop and had you sacked him, he it was from the thirty two or whatever. He's even deeper than that, obviously, So emy's gonna make that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna make that. You're gonna go up twenty two to fourteen at that point. Now they've got no timeouts, about a minute left, and they gotta go to length of the field and score touchdown.
Speaker 3: And the two Yeah Texans did it against the Ravens on Monday Night Football twice in the fourth quarter sixteen points bang bang.
Speaker 4: Speaking of the speaking of the fourth quarter.
Speaker 1: This is what Bleacher Report said and why he ended up getting the D. I want to see if you agree with this, Gabe. They talked earlier about the majority of Hugh Stereo attack during Monday's contest with on short quick passes with the receivers getting the majority of the yardage after the catch.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would love that to be the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't not the majority, so to speak, but I'd love that to be a lot of yak and short passes.
Speaker 1: Screen the Woody or I mean check down the Woody screened Nick. Okay, that's fine, but he also hit X on that one. We'll have X later on. We'll talk to him about this and held a touchdown, yep, touchdown to Nico. So I don't know that I agree with that, but they say this. Stroud's fourth quarter performance was disheartening. With an opportunity to take a three point lead, the third year quarterback missed Nico Collins in the corner of the end zone on third down from the one yard line.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got it.
Speaker 3: I got an issue with with with missing I got an issue as opposed to First of all, there's a the coverage back there, as I am a column was on Nico, like on Nico's hip, like in perfect position.
Speaker 2: So the throw had to be absolutely perfect to.
Speaker 1: Even have a chance, right, So I don't know that I agree with that per se. Then he says a play later, Oh, he's talking about the corner of the end zone. He's talking the first I'm sorry, he's talking with the first one. Nico in the back of the end zone. Again, a ball you gotta throw in the back corner of the end zone, and I would, I mean, that's a tough catch, but the ball did I mean, Nico's trying to get his feet down, it's extended. I mean, it's a tough catch. It's probably thrown in the only spot it could have been thrown to be a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Maybe on the third yard closer maybe, and it's a catch maybe maybe. To me, that play looks like a play where you have a little more field to run under it, right.
Speaker 4: It looks like it. I don't know, But I don't know is that the goal?
Speaker 3: Is that a third and goal at the one play or is that a better third and goal from the eight play?
Speaker 2: I can go I think you're I think you're there on it or.
Speaker 4: Even you know, farther upfield.
Speaker 1: But the throw itself is and I think that they're maybe holding CJ to a higher standard like the two throws, because they say this a play later Strout Stroud airmail they passed to Collins that didn't even give the offense a chance a fourth down.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I think the play was the away as it was, but he makes.
Speaker 3: A point in that, Hey, it's fourth down if you get if you get picked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could run it back, they could run it back.
Speaker 3: I good call, But do you want to give somebody a chance at a jump ball or something? Maybe that's a play call thing. Look, it didn't work every Like I said, plenty of blame to go around when you don't execute. And you know what I always say about play calling. If it works, you're a genius. If it doesn't work, you're a bum. That's what the chorus says people watching. But I get it, you know they feel that way. They feel like we didn't execute, so mean think about it today, Think about it Sunday.
Speaker 1: If DJ Jennson and Broncos stay six inches two left away from the long snapper, Shane Stikeen is getting grilled all week while he settled for a sixty yard field goal but instead fifteen yard penalty moves it up. They win twenty nine to twenty eight. Now Shane Stikeen is the next best play caller ever. Daniel Jones is the greatest, and away you go. It literally changes if he doesn't hit the long snapper.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, did the offense look better on Monday night than it did the previous Sunday?
Speaker 4: I felt like it did. Yeah, I thought I felt like it did.
Speaker 3: And I know that this is nothing we want to throw a parade about down You're right, nobody's printing shirts making rings about that, believe me. But that is an improvement from week one to week two. Now you got to go to Week three and you playing in the AFC South against the Jacksonville Jaguars, who played the Bengals well enough to win, but they didn't win. I mean that's another one right there. Yeah, that's another one. What it could have should have They should have won that game and they didn't win that game. You pick off Browning three times and he comes off the bench and does that, and you're still unable to win the football game. Yeah, that is bizarre. Bengals didn't have the lead to late in that game. It was what it was. You got to live with it. On to two is not a death sentence.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 3: Back to the CJ. Stroud grade thing, I have a fit. It's Barnwell doing this.
Speaker 2: It's bleacher report.
Speaker 3: Oh, bleacher report. I feel like this is based on we thought he's going to be really good or at least much better this. Yeah, I think there's an expect yeah, and it hasn't been where it needs to be. To me, I'm not blaming it all on the absence of Christian Kirk, but I'm thinking it's a big factor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that plays a role.
Speaker 3: Getting Kirk back is going to be big to this passing game. Uh, getting healthier. I know no one wants to hear it. It's not excuses, it's reasons. And maybe when they get a little more fortified, have a little more time together with Nick Keley, maybe things get better. There's no guarantee, but maybe things get better. And I'm hopeful and I want.
Speaker 4: To see it. So see it.
Speaker 2: You brought up one Trevor Lawrence, Yes, grade?
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 2: Se minus?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: See c minus uh the Obviously, the big talking point there was the interpersonal relationship between he and Liam Cohen. Through two interceptions, three touchdowns through for two hundred and seventy one yards twenty four forty two. Lawrence told reporters after the game, coach is really passionate, which is something that I've noticed ever since he's been here.
Speaker 2: I love that about him, and we'll get fired up. There's times, and I'm not always that way.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of a little more like this, holding his hands on a level line, but he's honestly brought a little bit more of that out of me, which I think has been good for our offense. That said, as bleacher Report points out, coen Is have yet stop Lawrence from making poor decisions. Quarterback has stretches where he plays really well, then it'll turn the ball over or make a bad decision. Against the Bengals, he threw a pair of interceptions, including one in the red zone.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think it was right in the in the.
Speaker 3: Enze in the end zone, and it was kind of ridiculous looking. You never know what happens going into those things, but it looked very Trevor Lawrence at his worst. But He's made plays this year where he looks like Trevor Lawrence at his best at times, and that's who he is right now at home, they're gonna be all fired up to beat the Texans. I'm more worried about Etn. I've said that before, I'll say it again. But as far as Trevor's grade goes, yeah, the two picks are a big blemish, huge in a loss where I mentioned Brownie at three picks. But I feel like David Kelly right now, Wait, it's you can't you can't wait, what was it? You can't win when you get four turnovers even if the other team turns it over five times.
Speaker 4: Or something like that. I'm sorry, it wasn't that bad. It wasn't It wasn't that.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I kind of knew where he was coming from, though, Like, yeah, I know they're turning it over, but we are too, and we're a mess.
Speaker 4: That was his point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know we kind of we won the turnover margin in that game against the Dolphins, right, I.
Speaker 4: Believe we did. Oh God, yes, I believe we did.
Speaker 3: However, I understood his point that we're still a mess too, we're coughing it up all over the place.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: It's not like we're taking their turnovers and turning them into gold. We turned it into another turnover. That's how we are. And yeah, so what we were plus one? We're not that good at football team. See, I'm redoing the speech for him.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would have been a great White House Press secretary no matter who the party is, I could be your guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you definitely could.
Speaker 1: Okay, this quarterback was twenty five of thirty eight for two hundred and fifteen yards, two touchdowns, three carries for thirty three yards, and a gutsy twelve yard escape on fourth and ten, And that would be one Baker Mayfield against the Texans.
Speaker 2: They gave him a B plus.
Speaker 4: How what plus? They gave him a beat plus? Well, that's just stupid.
Speaker 2: If he's not an A, I don't know what is.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: That is a total eight performance. He got the crap knocked out of him all game long. He gets hurt, gets up, talking smack, and that keeps the team going, Oh, we gotta we gotta win this one. Yeah, he look at him, Look at him. Look what he's putting his body on the Okay, even on the scramble he got tripped up. A lot of guys aren't getting up after that, or they're getting up very gingerly scramble.
Speaker 2: In which he kind of grabbed his foot or his ankle at some point. Remember that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you guys are like, he's alright. CJ.
Speaker 1: Gardner Johnson was standing near him, and apparently that's was kind of barking at him and break Baker got up, like huh, So they started getting each other's face.
Speaker 2: I think the Bucks love that.
Speaker 4: I think they love that about it. The players doesn't love that about who does it? You know what I mean? Love it about him.
Speaker 3: Although when I was on with Sean had Set that morning we were talking about Mayfield, I said, you know, I think that the first impression of Baker to a lot of people, or first impressions in college, they didn't like him hotthead.
Speaker 4: Look what he's doing at midfield. He's if you're.
Speaker 3: Not an ou guy tech before that, if you're not one of those people, you don't like him.
Speaker 4: Maybe right.
Speaker 1: I don't like shaking hands with Kansas, and Kansas doesn't you know, I don't like it, doesn't shake his hand.
Speaker 3: I think the likability was low. I think the longer he plays like this, He's going to be beloved because he is so tough.
Speaker 2: You want me to I think, I think tjb okay with me telling a story. So TJ.
Speaker 1: Reeves is my buddy, used to my sideline Carter part with the Tampa Bay Bucks. He's been doing it for a long time. He and Jean had been together for a long time. Right, we had him on last week. You did a great job interviewing him. He loved talking to you. He had a blast. So he said, let me tell you about Baker. And so Baker's first year, one year, four million bucks with the Bucks in twenty twenty three, they get if you remember, they beat the Eagles in the wildcard round. The Eagles kind of throwing a towel year and they were just garbage, and but the Bucks kick the crap out of them. They go to Detroit and they hang in there with Detroit all the way to the end. They get the ball back and late in the game Baker through interception to Derek Barnes the gut punts loss. They lose, not going to the NFC Championship game. Baker's distraught, and so TJ describes it you know, in the Detroit locker room. Like he's probably twenty yards away from Baker, right, and TJ is live, so I'm I record everything and I send it back to you when I get because it's hard to get signal in the locker room, so they were getting a signal, and so he does a live from the locker room report literally live, which I'm like, holy smokes, that's tough. Anyways, Baker is all the way down there and catch his eyes with TJ and it's like I'm not bleeping doing it right now or something like that. You know, he just he got off this tough loss. So TJ's totally understanding of that. Like, you know, players look at me when I got the mic after a loss and they're like they want to take the mic and beat me with it.
Speaker 2: Like I understand it. I totally get it.
Speaker 1: So TJ's like, okay, you know, kind of gets a handser like okay, it's all right. So he goes and he gets a couple of players, He gets Todd Bowles and he's he's with balls. He sees Baker come around the corner coming towards him. He points at him. He's like, you want me and TJ's like, I guess, yeah, absolutely, and so he's like, coach, appreciate it, thank you very much. Baker walks over to him gives him five seven minutes live Wow. After all that, and apparently what had happened was Baker in the locker room. Our buddy Nelson Luiz is the PR directory, former GHOS PR director from a Rocket's PR director, and he finds Nelson goes, hey, where's TJ.
Speaker 2: I got to talk with him.
Speaker 4: Oh, so he was reacting in the moment and now he wants to make it right.
Speaker 1: And then he wanted to make it right him and I was like, holy crap. That is that's That's the kind of quarterback. He hasn't always got that impression from him that there was more there than you know. He's got kind of that slide talking trash, but behind it it's an intense competitor, but he seems to care for everybody, not only on the field.
Speaker 2: The fact that he sought out TJ.
Speaker 1: And I looked at TJ like, I've never had a player do that, Like I never had a player like request to talk to me. Because he was like I've had coaches that have told me after the game to get bent. I've had that players are usually pretty good. They don't want to do it, and I could tell and I try and get a minute out of him if they've lost all that. But the fact that Baker that spends four or five minutes with him after he gets wife, Yeah, I was like that.
Speaker 2: That tells you a little bit about about Mayfield.
Speaker 3: But he got a B plus according to this great plus who did well Johnny and B plus.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm glad you asked.
Speaker 1: There's a certain quarterback in our division, in our division, in our division, Indiana Jones.
Speaker 2: That's right. He ends up getting what do you think he got?
Speaker 4: He got an A? He did? He got an A. I think it's a minus he got. Don't want to hand out those a's too easily. No, he got an A. Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Daniel Jones twenty three of thirty four for three sixteen, one passing touchdown and a rushing touchdown, all of this against the Denver Broncos, like the Texans, a defense that a lot of people thought was one of the top five in the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is notable. Those are really pretty numbers for Daniel Jones. I think it really helps when you have Jonathan Taylor running at six point five yards per pop, what for one hundred and sixty five yards? Yeah, Now he did have a long run in this one, so we got skewed numbers. Okay, but I'm not taking the long run out. He had a sixty eight yard run in this game. Yeah, all right, let's take it out. He still gets one hundred. Basically, he still gets one hundred one hundred on twenty four carries. That's big star up right there. That's really helping your offense. That's grinding the clock, that's grinding the chains. That's all of it. Daniel Jones capitalizing, You got down to your boy Downs is playing well. Yeah, he's playing well. And Tyler Warren is looking pretty good so far too. It's not earth shattering, but it's really He's a rookie seventy nine yards in this game against the Denver defense that's supposed to shut people down. Oh, this team, watch out. They're gonna win that division. They're gonna go to the super Bowl. This is such a recency bias league Denver. If you weren't into the Chiefs, Denver was a real sexy pick coming into the season because your last memory of Denver was going to Buffalo.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, that's gonna be hard. Everybody loses up there.
Speaker 3: Your last memory of the Chargers is justin Herbert throwing four picks in this building in a season in which he only threw three all regular season long. So you're thinking, yeah, Denver, Denver, Denver, definitely this team, Sean Payton High.
Speaker 2: Team, the SEMy Sweety team, Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: NF super hot with them, Peyton, It's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: And they go to Indianapolis and yeah, they should have won the game. They won a game, but they didn't win the game.
Speaker 3: And I'm not saying Denver is a bad team by any stretch, but it is noticeable. How notable how they give up three hundred plus through the air and one to sixty five.
Speaker 4: Of the ground to Jonathan Taylor.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's really not exactly what they want to be doing. Nope, So we'll see how it all plays out. But the Chargers are the super sexy team right after beating the Raiders, and they beat the Chiefs in Brazil, who are the Chiefs right now? Not really sure. They don't look like who they were, looks like they're on the way down. But I'm not gonna write them off. They're rowing two and they're the freaking Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna get to them and their quarterback in a second. Listen to this drive. Ten drives for the Colts. Want you to tell me what word is missing? Field goal, field goal, touchdown downs, touchdown, end of half, field goal downs, field goal, field.
Speaker 4: Goal, no punting, Rigbert does.
Speaker 1: Sanchez has not punted this year. He's he's not punted this year, maytag repair man dated reference. I'm just gonna say it anyway. Yeah, fourteen of seventeen offensive drives have resulted in scores for the Colts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's looking pretty good right now with this group.
Speaker 2: Now, do you remember the first two games.
Speaker 4: Of last year, Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 1: Clink Kubiak and the New Orleans Saints had just gone into Dallas.
Speaker 4: Oh you're talking about and put up.
Speaker 2: In forty burger.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, the Saints were going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: They had had two weeks of forty plus points, and by mid season it imploded.
Speaker 3: I was hapry for Kubiak, thinking, oh, he's gonna get any job totally. It's gonna be big son as a head coach.
Speaker 1: Totally. So here's the other side of this. Listen to the Broncos nine drives, touchdown, punt, touchdown, touchdown, punt, touchdown, punt interception, a mad one field goal. So it didn't like the Colts are bringing the eighty five Bears to the party either. No, that was a shot. That was a shootout. Now, they played the Dolphins in the first one. The Dolphins stunk and they do stink. But that Colts defense is not It's lou Ana Roumo. It's a good defense. He's a good defensive coordinator. It's not great. We got to get our offensive house in order. But the Colts face the Titans this week, so more than likely three and zero. But we'll see what Daniel Jones does with that one. But Daniel Jones a on his report card against the Denver Broncos the hottest thing in America. All right, you mentioned Mahomes, last one will do?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Mahomes against the Eagles sixteen of nineteen for one hundred and eighty seven yards, a touchdown and a pick. Seven carries for sixty six yards and a touchdown.
Speaker 2: They lost.
Speaker 4: The Eagles.
Speaker 1: Chiefs are also owed to Patrick Mahomes earned a C plus. I'm sorry, C minus, C minus the same as Trevor Lawrence. Now, I do think that there is some expectation built in, like with CJ. With Trevor, you kind of really don't know Daniel Jones like anything he does at this point. I mean, look, he's been really, really good. But against Eagles, Eagles have a good, good defense C minus For Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 3: That running number stands out. And I watched a bit of that game. He was running the ball. He was and we've always talked about this, that's such a weapon for him. Yep, He's going to it a lot more. It feels like because he needs to. They don't have the horses to catch the football that they used to and if they're not running it, well it's what else are you gonna do? And Kelsey still makes plays. Kelsey still out there. Did you see Taylor Swift and how they barricaded her and how they walked her from and not they had this moving on wheels so people couldn't take pictures, which is weird to me.
Speaker 4: Oh do you think she's showing just kidding them?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I went there.
Speaker 3: Conspiracy theater Texans all access All right?
Speaker 1: Is that gonna show up in our look around the NFL next, it definitely is not showing up in the injury report. We'll give you some thoughts on what we saw at practice and what the injury report looks like, and some news from the NFL. Is Taylor Swift pregnant? Ask Mark Vandermier. No, we're just kidding, just kidding, just kidding. We got more next right here in Texans All Access. All right, here we go Wednesday night initiative, Texans All Access. I'm your host, John Harris, Football and outside of the reporter for your Houston Texans, and we have reached that point in the program. On a Wednesday, we got to take a look at a god awful injury report.
Speaker 2: But I will say it's improving. It's not great, but it's improving a little bit. Texans only had.
Speaker 1: One DMP today, unfortunately, that is Jalen Smith, the rookie corner dealing with hamstring. Now, the fortunate part of that is we've seen guys on this report, mainly Jake Andrews, Braxton Barrios, Christian Kirk. They were all limited participants. Coach at the mike, I think it's press conference. A couple days ago, Tuesday. I'm trying to remember what day that was, probably Tuesday. Said that Kirk and Barrios were at least on track. Seeing Jake Andrews get back out, there was great news. Now will they play, don't know no idea about that, but they were limited.
Speaker 2: That was good news.
Speaker 1: Now, if there is any bad news, if you will, I mentioned Jalen Smith, the.
Speaker 2: DB's dealing with some things.
Speaker 1: Kamari Lasser was a limited participant dealing with the knee. Jalen Petrie went out of that game Monday for a little while deal with ribs, but he was able to come back in the game and play the rest of the game. Darryl Taylor with a hit. Those guys were all limited participants. During the viewing, we saw all those guys out there. So if there is some good news, there is a little good news with that, but no Jalen Smith at practice on Wednesday. On the other side, a couple to keep an eye on. First one is Ezra Cleveland, interior offensive lineman, dealing with the ankle. He did not participate. Hunter long tight end, very athletic tight end. Probably gonna fin Jacksonville, I think pretty well to be honest, he's dealing with an ankle. He did not participate limited participation. Jerry and Jones one of their corners that's want to keep an eye on limited participation back bay Shall Teuton shoulder now touton is a house of fire, Bud. He's dealing with a little bit of his shoulder issues. He's a limited participant as well full participants. About Terrek Brown and Brian Thomas Junior. Has been a lot of talk about Brian Thomas this week the game performance against Cincinnati, and there was some that question whether Brian Thomas Junior was wanting to go across the middle. Liam Cohen did not shoot that down. After the game. There's been a lot of talk about, you know, hey, surrounding Brian and being you know, bring him up. I'll tell you this if there is if any of that is true about not wanting to go across the middle, not wanting to do those things.
Speaker 2: This defense that's in this building.
Speaker 1: Is not the one you want to see because they they could take swarm to a whole different level. But that is your injury report for Wednesday. Good news and Kirk Barriers Andrews Andrews being back. Hopefully we can keep Kamari and Jalen Darrow back on track and hopefully get Jalen back as well, and try and get this injury report back where we'd like it. All right, we got one our down, we got one our left to go, and we're gonna kick that off with Jacksonville native Texans wide receiver Xavier Hutchinson, who jumped in studio with Mark and I earlier today. We'll have that for you next the Texans All Access. We got one of our down, want our left to go? Right here on a Wednesday, Nation of Texans All Access from the Hunday Texans Radio studio.
Speaker 2: I'm your hoach, John Harris, Football and a sideline reporter.
Speaker 1: Glad to be with you this evening, even more glad to be joined by our next guest, a Jacksonville native the Bartrip Trail High School, ended up going to Iowa State now and it's thirty year with the Texans and continuing to get better and be more of an impactful player on this offense.
Speaker 2: Xavier Hutchinson.
Speaker 1: We had a great, great time with X and I played a little game with X at the very end.
Speaker 2: You definitely want to stick around for that. Here's Xavier Hutchinson with me.
Speaker 3: And Mark with us in the Hunday Texans Radio studio.
Speaker 4: Xavier Hutchinson, X, great to see.
Speaker 7: How's it going, Yes, sir, I'm doing good, man, I'm doing good. Can't complain it all.
Speaker 3: All right, So it's week three. We're going to Jacksonville. We'll talk about what's happened so far. But you got to be excited you're going home to play a pro football game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, for sure, definitely excited. I mean, who ever thought, right? You know, since I was you know, a child, man dreams of playing in the Jackson Stadium and now you know I get to go against him. Is great?
Speaker 2: So old I am.
Speaker 1: His school didn't even exist until my last year of coaching Aaron Jackson though, Marcham Trail. Yeah, and I remember we always used to say, man, if they can get some if they can get some schools down Saint John's County, WI, because all the time was Nice. Nice was the only one and the most famous graduate from Nice High School is Tim Yeah, all the way down in St. John's County. In fact, he actually lived on the west side. But it's home school formers. Yeah exactly. X. How's how's your game coming together. Third year slowing down for you at all?
Speaker 4: On the field?
Speaker 1: Are you seeing things better earlier, quicker all that because of your experience.
Speaker 7: I definitely think so. It's definitely slowing down for me. You know, I'm just actually out there playing with confidence and really just you know, trying to make the plays whenever they come to me. And you know, I've been able to so far. So I just got to keep it going and be consistent. But I'm really happy with how you know, my first two games have went.
Speaker 3: Ye, what's practice like this time of year for you? Because we see in training camp it's ones against ones and a lot of matching up against the dbs that are going to start the game for the Houston Texans. Very physical. How physical is it this time of year now that you're in the regular season and you're going up against the look team and things like that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's definitely still competitive out there. You know, obviously they probably you know, laid back a few when you know the ball's up in the air or you know it's like a you know, a fifty to fifty ball, but when it comes, you know, like any intermediate wrestler, you know they're on your back and you got to make a contest to catch.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: I think that's one of the reasons why you know, our receivers has done so well, uh in years past, is because how are we practice and how you know, good the practice squad gives us.
Speaker 1: Looks EXIT was watching a game back last night. I want to once you walk me through if you don't mind, you're running around. I think you're going from right from their sideline to our sideline. But it looked like you were running a route in the middle. But then as you looked in the middle, you kind of just kept going and CJ it was almost like CJ was giving you, like, keep going without pointing at you. Can you take us through that that reception kind of what your responsibility was, where you're supposed to go to, and how you guys linked up to make that reception.
Speaker 7: Yeah, actually I probably should have just kept it on the outside of the defender. I should have never dived in as far as I did. Yeah. Uh so they got me there, but uh once, you know, once I dived in and he just shoved me and kind of I saw that the middle was collapsed. Uh you know, you can just feel you know grass, Yeah, you can just feel an open area and seven, you know, thought the same thing, and really you know, just ran to the open grass uh in seventh place to you know, a great ball and you know we were able to get a little nice little explose.
Speaker 3: How much does that go on when you're supposed to run this route but clearly you got to make an adjustment like you did in the playoff game, a heck of an adjustment. How does that go down for you X when you're looking back into the backfield or how does that awareness play out?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Uh, you know, I think some of it, you know, it's just like a feel thing sometimes having you know the same connection and communication you know, or I already have like seeing it beforehand if a play breaks down. But some of it's really just like you know, just really scramble drill some of it. You know, once you kind of you know, realize that your eternal clock has gone off in your head, you kind of you know, look back and you see maybe CJ running or maybe you see seven just standing in the pocket. You know, it's kind of you know, we have you know, our routine drills that we do really just kind of make it happen.
Speaker 2: You have played every wide receiver position on the field.
Speaker 1: And I've said this to Mark, I've said it a few times X the fact that at practice, even training can't practice. I always see you a sprint your position, but then you help everybody else get lined up. And I always say that because it's like, man, these receivers maybe not know what to do, but then they go to your side. You're like, no, no, you're you're off the ball, you're on the ball. No, you're here, you're wider. Where where does that come from?
Speaker 6: Max?
Speaker 1: That you you kind of know each and every wide receiver position like the back of your hand, that you can help everybody else out there.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Uh, it took me a while to get there. I had some struggles in you know, my like my first really my really my first year rookie year, like just learning you know, the formations and everything. Second year kind of slowly started to click for me. And then this thirty year just like like I said, just really confidence and you know and just knowing everything and not second guessing myself. And really it just kind of you know, Ben kind of you know, cous McDaniels, really, uh, you know, you really tests me on knowing the positions. So you know, I give a lot of credit to him on you know, you know, forcing me to you know, put my head in the playbook and understand you know, the concepts and our formations.
Speaker 3: Yep, Demiko Ryan says, the offense is really close, really close to breaking through. Obviously got it to the end zone a couple of times on Monday night that was much better than the game before. Looking for another step forward, How close are you? How do you feel in that department you're closer to getting to where you want to be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think we are. I mean I think you know, Demico hit it on the head. To be honest with you, We're very close. You know, it's just the minor things right now that we have to fix, you know, really just you know, trusting it in everybody, you know, trust every play and really just executing all the details and you know, understanding that. You know, if we just do these one little thing that we missed, you know, it's probably a different ball gaming. As you know, it's a different outcome on the play.
Speaker 1: You've got a couple of cyclone brethren in this, uh, which I'm sure nobody out there knew that every time we talked about the receivers this year. We're like, Okay, well it's gonna be Christian and it's gonna be Nico and the Cyclones. We always kind of talk about, you know, the three of you. How do you think the two rookies have done Jed Uh, Jayala Nolan, jene Haiggins great.
Speaker 7: I think they've done great.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: And you really just seen them progress, you know, from training camp all the way until now.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: And you know it, everyone's time is different. Everyone's gonna grasp things a little bit different, maybe faster or slower.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And you know, in their case, I think they're grasping things very fast, and I think they're playing with confidence. And you know, I think that's the number one thing that you have to do as a rookie. You you just have to go out there and play with confidence. You know, you might make mistakes, nobody's perfect, but you know, as long as you just go out there, play fast and play with confidence, man, it's all going to figure yourself out.
Speaker 3: All right, Let's do a little Iowa State commercial here here, because Matt Campbell has a heck of a program and in an era where a lot of people thought maybe he would go somewhere else, he stays there. Jalen talked about how important that was to him. What about you, What does it mean to you that he's still there and the Cyclones to do it so well?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean Coach Campbell was just a man of his word. And you know, we have like a saying in the Iowa stay you know, it's a forever, forever loyal, okay, ever true, and I think you know he he embodies that statement. And man, I'm just so happy for Coach Campbell to have you know, that that success. Now, even you know, with me being gone, you know, I'm still happy to see all of the players there that you know, are reaping the rewards of you know what other people had to you know, lay down and you know, build the foundation for for that program. So to see it, you know, come to Fruition and still you know, not even at the top of it yet it's great.
Speaker 1: It's great to see he loves you, man, I mean there's no doubt like when I well, I went to Big twel media days and I saw the SID and I just said, hey, you think Coach Campbell would talk to me a couple of minutes about X and just kind of give us a background on it, and he goes, oh absolutely. I was like, just let him do with media scrum And we talked for two minutes on air, and then he went for like ten minutes asking how you were doing, telling you that you know how much you got. I mean to have a coach that you know, cares that much, I gotta imagine that means a lot to the Iowa State guys as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it definitely does, man. And it just you know, he always like said that, you know, it's bigger than football with him. Yeah, and you know, like that little instant right there proves it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 7: So like it's just it's so much left for coach Campbell with so much respect for the man he is the coach he is, and like just to know that I always have him in, you know, in my corner and he's always rooting for me. You know, it makes a difference in somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna move on from the Iowa State commercial to the Jacksonville commercial as an area, not the Jaguars, but just as a place to be a place to live, a place to grow up.
Speaker 4: What about Jacksonville? What makes it good?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean, you know you can really get into anything you like.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 7: Obviously you can go to Jacksonville downtown Jacksonville. Uh, you know, they'd be having a little farmers markets there and stuff. Obviously. You know Florida we have beaches, yeah, uh plus yep, yep. And then you got like, you know the little beach restaurants that are on the side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know it's an Atlantic beach a lot.
Speaker 1: There's that corner and I don't know what it is a long time ago, they used to have like they had a sun dog that had pete and then they had rag Time, which is a great rush, like right there on the beach and you walk out and you're right at the You've.
Speaker 3: Never been to these places. You never take me anywhere, but we go. There a few close down oat.
Speaker 7: You want to go, If you do want to go, I'm pretty sure it's on the Flaggler a one a side. It's a burrito works. It's probably one of the best at the UFO.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you fish like the other cyclones? No, So you're not gonna get involved with that composition.
Speaker 7: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: But you know what he does do on Fieldhouse. You and I've talked about this a little bit.
Speaker 2: Let's put you. Okay, So they did this great thing.
Speaker 1: Now it was you and I can't remember who who you were doing it with, and I think you did NFL. And they gave like a fantasy team rosters, a quarterback, running back, two wide receivers, a tight end, and.
Speaker 4: A current or all time.
Speaker 2: It was all time, I think.
Speaker 1: And so they spin the spin the dial and then he would have to pay, okay, like Cowboys, and okay, I'm gonna take running back Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 2: And so you build build your team that way. So all right, how much do you know college football? You know pretty well? Yea, all right, here we go history of you.
Speaker 1: Got a quarterback, a running back, a wide receiver to flex, put anybody in a flex you want, okay, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: So you pick it. We're gonna start with Mark.
Speaker 1: Mark used to be the play by play man for the Miami Hurricanes. Give me your best Hurricane, and where you want to put him?
Speaker 3: Andre Johnson, just do it.
Speaker 7: Definitely Andre Johnson at the receiver spot.
Speaker 2: Okay, Andre Johnson. Okay, Now Will's over there.
Speaker 7: He's a big or guy, Oregon guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you have quarterback, running back or flex.
Speaker 7: Give me, uh, give me the Anthony.
Speaker 2: Uh Antony Thomas Thomas. Put him at the We'll put at the flex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll put him at the Now we are in Houston, but we have three Iowa State cyclones, so we have quarterback and running back left.
Speaker 2: So give me your Iowa state cyclone you want to put in here?
Speaker 7: You know what, I'm actually gonna throw it like really far back. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna give a shout out to Troy Davis.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a great one.
Speaker 2: Troy Davis is a good one.
Speaker 4: That's reaching back.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: Now we're in the state of Texas.
Speaker 1: Any state university Texas State University for your quarterback, so that's a and M Texas, Houston, Baylor, any State of Texas quarterback you want to.
Speaker 7: Put in and he's gonna be like so like who you want.
Speaker 4: It can't be Drew Brees who played at Purdue.
Speaker 2: No, he's got to be who played at Texas University, Vince Young, I mean man Johnny manziel On.
Speaker 7: Where there's a lot of good ones and I'm not even gonna lie to I'm thinking about a few right now. Almost feel disrespectful. Not to go. Vince Young.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, that's a Houston guy. Houston guy and University of Texas. All right, Andre will get over it. That was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: Vince Young, Troy Davis, Andre Johnson, the Anthony Thomas see, yeah, all right, very good, very well.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: I sprung that on you, so having to do that, it's pretty tough.
Speaker 7: So you definitely I appreciate that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You know, if you did that that well, I figured you do this well.
Speaker 4: Very nice.
Speaker 3: Xavier Hutchinson joining us, Thanks to left for being with us. Good luck this week.
Speaker 7: So I appreciate you. How man, Thank.
Speaker 2: You appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Young dude.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: He has some great things for this team, special teams, wide receiver all over the field. Hopefully he will do some of those in front of friends and family on Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the Jags, it's side for a man behind the MICUs.
Speaker 1: That's when Mark Vandermier, the voice of the Texans, sits down with a voice on the other side. It's one we know very very well, good friend of mine. Since the early nineties. He is the voice of the Jaguars. Frank Frjie joins Mark Vaneruin next right here on Texans All Access. Welcome back to this Wednesday Nation of Texans All Access from the hun Day Texans Radio Studio. Appreciate Xavier Hutchinson for stepping in studio today. I had a great, great time talk with that young man. I was state cyclone Bartram trail Bear. I think, like I told him in the interview, his school opened my last year in Jacksonville, and we knew they were gonna be good. And they've spit out some really good players and some great athletes, great people like Xavier Hutchinson. Now, a guy that has been there for a long time, grew up there is the face of Jacksonville media. I mean he was the guy when I lived there back in the nineties early two thousands.
Speaker 2: If I ever need anything, I went to Frank Frangie. Great media.
Speaker 1: I don't say for that's the wrong word to use, but when you say Jacksonville media, Frank Fraanjie is a name that comes to mind and just a salt of the earth person has been doing it for a very long time. Became the voice of the Jags back at twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 1: I think it was the first year he took over as the voice of the Jaguars as I took over as a silent reporter for the Texans.
Speaker 2: So this is always kind of a weird one in that too.
Speaker 1: My very good friend Mark vandermir with Frank Franjie, guy I've known for very a very long time, sat down discussed this matchup that will take place Sunday in Duval County.
Speaker 3: Joining us now in Texans Radio. It's Frank Frangie, friend of the show, Frank the voice of the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Speaker 4: Frank, how's it going with my friend Mark?
Speaker 6: I'm doing well. How are you? How are things in Houston these days?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, zero and two it's not that good, Frank, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: So we're looking forward to this one.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if we should be looking forward to it because the Jags look a whole lot better And even though one and one and I know, very disappointing against the Bengals, you got to think they are better overall.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't think.
Speaker 6: There's any question. I think that one was as gut wrenching Mark as any because the Jags out played the Bengals, and you know me well enough to know that I wouldn't say that if it wasn't the case. The Bengals took their first lead in the game with eighteen seconds to play in the game. The Jags led the entire game. Burrow was out. The Jags just couldn't finish the job. Dropped, a few passes, dropped the touchdown, had a tough pass interference go against them on four and ten, and it was just one of those games. But the Jags still that they should be two to zero. They're better again, I've said that before around here, and we'll see. But I feel better about this group, how they're all sort of pulling in the same direction, the plan they seem to have. I do believe markets can improve Jacksonville team. I really do.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to start with Trevor Lawrence. I'm going to start with Travis Etn because it's highly noticeable how he's really erupted. In the early going this season, Frank and a lot of people thought, well, Bigsby's probably going to be the guy. Now you might have thought differently, but it seems like Etn has hit a stride finally, has he finally come into his own or is this a renaissance?
Speaker 4: How do you define it?
Speaker 6: Well, too, that's a big storyline. Mark, You're exactly right. Two pieces to that story. Number one. Yeah, everybody had Etn run out of town. They thought Tank basically would be the more, the better downhill runner. Then they drafted two guys. They drafted Base Shall two and a really good player out of Virginia Tech and lecquinn Allen out of Serious, both of whom made the team and both of whom are going to play. So you had four guys in your running back room and everybody just assumed that the Etn would be the guy, the odd man out. Well, say what happened? Etn took that seriously. Travis Etn came into the best shape of his life. He's the first round draft pick. He played like it. He had a great camp, he won the starting job, and he was very good in that first game, and all of a sudden he's running back one and Tank basically gets traded out of town. So Tank gets traded, you have room for four guys. He wanted to keep the two rookies. So number one, to your point, Travis Etn did a great job. The other part of that story, Mark is they want to run the ball. You know, a lot coaches say we're going to run the ball, but they don't really run the ball. Right, this group said they want to run the ball. Liam Cohen said it from day one. You know, you and I have done this long enough. Everybody can run around first and ten. If you run it again on second and nine, that means you're committed to running it. And I think that's what this group is. The two storylines. Travis came in great shape, won the job, looks great and this offense under Liam Cohen looks like it's committed to running the football. And that's what we've seen.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Trevor Lawrence, so far, what are you thinking here? Of the progress?
Speaker 6: I see progress. He's made a few mistakes he can't make, but I think he's played better. He's threw three touchdowns last week and he had I don't know if you saw Dianmi Brown dropped on right in the end. Okay, just a flat out drop which would have been the fourth touchdown path Brian Thomas Jr. On fourth down and five at the end of the game, just flat out dropped the ball the five yard line. There are around the four yard line would have been a first down. So the drops really hurt him. But Trevor's growing up. Mark. You can sense it, you can see it, you can seal it. He likes this offense. He thinks he's committed to it. It's a play action offense. It starts with the running games. And he's played better. Again's on him in two games, right, so it's hard to learn too much or determine too much up to two games. But he's played pretty well and he looks comfortable. He looks I've called every game he's ever played. He looks comfortable, as comfortable as I've seen him look.
Speaker 3: Frank Nick Cassario told us he thinks Seric Murray's doing pretty well for the Jaguars. Might be a bit of a difference maker. Not like he's going to the Pro Bowl or anything, but he's as steady as she goes. Kind of guy at safety, a veteran who can make things happen.
Speaker 4: How to pick last week? What about Murray for that defense?
Speaker 6: He's been very good. The first week he made a diving deflection, I mean a terrific play, and then Foyer Luka dove and picked the ball off. So Eric really caused that play and then he intercepted the pass last week. So who really he's credited with two He should be credited with two interceptions, right, there's not a football doesn't have an assist for an interception, right, But he made the one interception happen the week with the first week and then second week, he's played well, Mark, he knows they needed better. The two veteran secondary guys that they brought in, Eric Murray from Houston and Jordan Lewis from Dallas, they know how to play. Eric Murray's been very good. They need. You need guys in the secondary in today's day and age is the passing games the way they are that know how to play. Eric's gonna be a good Jaguary. He's really going to help the cause here. There's no doubt in my mind. So I think NX reid on that is one hundred percent right. I think he's played very well.
Speaker 3: Frank, what about the guys up front? Everybody raves about heinz Allen and Walker another sack last week. He's really started to produce in the sack category, which got him a lot of notice last year. Tell me about them, Tell me about that front.
Speaker 6: The ends are good. The ends have played well. Josh Heines Allen gets a lot of attention. He gets chipped a lot. He gets chipped like one of the good pass rushers in the league. And you know this because you've got two very good ones. But he gets chipped a lot. Mark, he gets double teamed in the tight end, stays in. But he's played well. Trayvon was fantastic class with hadda sack and was very very disruptive. So those two ends are a very good, very good player. Dwan Smooth comes off the bench and is a very good third end. So they are very good. In the tackles. How they need to play better. The tackles have been okay. That was one position going into the season that they were concerned about is with the tackles held up. Eric Armstead played better last week, the veteran Devon Hamilton. The nose guard is up and down, and they've got some young tackles behind those guys. So I think the tackles that's going to be the question. The interior of that, the defensive line mark will be the question with this football team. The ends, as you know are very good even the backup end and Duwan Smooth is very good. The tackles have to play well. That was a big question. Also, Cam is how the Jags weren't physical enough? Man, They have to be more physical. It's a point of impact and it looks like they've made incremental strides there. It really does.
Speaker 3: Frank, I'm going to ask your assessment of a Texans player, Frank Franchie, Voice of the Jaguars with us Christian Kirk, when he does get out on the field eventually, what kind of difference can he make for the Houston Texans?
Speaker 4: What do you think they get with Kirk?
Speaker 6: He was a gigantic difference maker here, great guy in the locker, he got the Good Guy Award for the easiest guy to deal with. Terrific player, a slot receiver. Hey story. He came here three years ago and they won the division, won a playoff game, lost to the Chiefs. Made sort of the elite eight of the league. Right and in his first year. The next year they start eight and three. Mark, they start eight and three, they're playing Cincinnati. Looked like they're going to ease into a back to back division title. Christian got hurt in that game against Cincinnati. He got hurt for the year, they lost him for the year. They lost that game, and that was one of five out of six they lost, missed the playoffs, and then last year never refounded. So the collapse of the Jaguars under Doug Peterson that looks so good in the middle of his tenure here started when Christian Kirk got hurt. I'm telling you it started when he got hurt. Now I'm not saying that's all that happened, but that was a big blow. He's a leader, he catches everything. He's a slot guy. He's not on an outside guy's going to run by people. He's a pro. Christian Kirk is You're gonna love Christian Kirk. He probably already met him, right, I'm sure you've been around it. Yeah, fans are gonna love it. Mark. He is a pro, the pros pro. And I think that's a great gift for the Houston Texans. I really do.
Speaker 4: Now, great interview.
Speaker 3: I talked to him right after joint practice with the Lions, and then he didn't play in that final preseason game. Then he hurts his hamstring right before the opener at some point, and absolutely need him on the field. Frank, what's the vibe like in Jacksonville right now going into this game Jags and Texans. We meet again in the AFC South. Here we go, we have some time before the game. But what is the feeling in North Florida about this one?
Speaker 6: Well, that's a great question. There's a lot of storylines here all right in the fan base. Number one, forget the Texans for a second. The fans want to believe this is real, you know what I mean, Mark. They want to believe that the Jags are improved, that it's not the same old Samuel Jags fans really want to Like all fans, all fans want to believe that right when you turn the corner, because you guys have done in recent years. Fans want to believe it's real. So I think there's some belief it might be real. I think there's certainly some sign there's some evidence out there, but you and you've got to make yourself believe it's real. So I think there's there's there's some hesitation, but I think there's some cautious optimism. The Texans game is gigantic. Houston's won ten of the last eleven times they've been in this stadium. That's hard to believe than an opponent had been ten out of eleven times in this stadium. If they ask has had their way with Jackson, we all know that your team has had their way with a jack And look, the team isn't talking about it, and I've plawed them not but the but the big hit on Trevor Lawrence that knocked him out for the season is still something everybody in the fan base is talking about. That. To suggest that that story went away is inaccurate the story at least, and again, the team has been very careful to teach that we're not worried about anything happened last year. We're trying to get ready for this year. But I can promise you in the fan base, that hit on Trevor Lawrence is still being talked about. So for that reason, it's it's got a lot of storylines. Here's the other storyline. The Texans, who have been the Krem de la Krem of the division, are looking at O with three if they lose the game. I know you've been talking about that. So it's a gigantic game. A sense of urgency for the Texans and the Jags have a chance to start two to one for the first time in the long time, you know, last the Jags have not been two and oh since twenty eighteen mark, and they're not again this year too. So it's a big game on so many fronts, and I don't think that's been lost here. I think the fan base certainly is talking about that.
Speaker 3: Well, we have this next thing in common concern that the Colts are jumping off to a two and oho start.
Speaker 4: They look pretty good. What are your thoughts on the horseshoe?
Speaker 6: They do look good. I think they The Colts have played so many different quarterbacks. For all everything Andrew Luck was gone, They've played every quarterback in the league. I think's made his way to Indianapolis. They made the right decision with Daniel Jones to go get him, to have him compete with Antheya Richardson, and to have him beat him out. They were very good in the first week. Last week was weird. I don't know that I've seen a game end like that, Mark that the guy misses the kick and the Broncos win on the with no time left on the clock. But then they get caught and you know what, happened, they get called for the leverage penalty, and the Colts get another chance and they make it. I think the culture leaks to your question, though, I think the culture legit. I think the Titans are a little behind, but I think the other three teams in this division are all pretty good and are all pretty close. Do you see it that way? I think those three teams are somewhat even. I think it's going to be and again I'm not trying to write off the Titans yet, but I think they're a little further behind. They've got a first year quarterbacks. But I think the other three teams, I think it's going to be a heck of about. It starts this week obviously that our two teams, but I think it's going to be a heck of a battle in the division. That's how I see those top three teams.
Speaker 3: I think it is close. I think I knew the Texans were going to have it tough with these two teams to open up the season with at the Rams and home against the Buccaneers, and it was even tougher than I thought. But they're close losses one point five points, but you know, they don't give you anything in this league. For that, I think a lot of the league is like that, with these one score games, so not much you can do anything else jumping out to you about the AFC. Maybe Chiefs so and two the Bills start. Anything else, Frank, that is notable to you about the AFC or the NFL at large.
Speaker 6: I think AFC the one thing that grabbed me other than the normal. So the Chiefs are going to be fine. The Chiefs have a good team. We all know the Chiefs are. If they're not going to be there in the end, they're going to be close. The Ravens are really good. The Bills are emerging. This might be the year of the Bills. The one thing that jumped off the chart for me or off the page for me, Marcus, I think the Chargers might be legit. He's a really good coach. He won a national championship in college. He's been to a Super Bowl. He's tough. I know a player, I personally know a guy that played for him to chart with his Chargers team, and he said, you can't imagine how physical the practices are, how they bumped right up against the edge of what's allowed. And when he makes them tougher, he makes him a running team that makes Justin Herbert better. It's clear Justin Herbert is developing. So if there's one thing about the AFC more than anything else that's grabbed me as no, boy, the Chargers, which have been they've been a tease right for the last handful of years. Everything is Justin Herbert got there. They looked like they were they could be the teams that emerges, but they never do. Boy, I think they might be year. I'm very impressed with the La Chargers. I think that's probably first and foremost for me of things in the AFC.
Speaker 3: Frank Frazie, Voice of the Jaguars with us a couple of quick ones on the way out here. Frank, I know you do the talk show. You talk a lot of college football. The Gators are going to be at Mike Canes this weekend. Thoughts on this matchup, the rise of the Hurricanes is at real, and what is going on with the Gators in general?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, the Mark vandermir Kaines are good. Okay, they're I mean they're like legit, legit. Carson Beck who's the jack and guy and no Carson I know his family. He's good.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's worth all those millions they paid him to come down there, and I think that I think they're more physical than they've been. This looks to me like the best Miami team since early two thousand and We'll see if it plays out that way. Last year they were great on offense, that's flawed on defense. You and I know you know this because you follow them. They've had two ten wins seasons in twenty five years. I mean there are twenty four years. Ever since the two thousand and two teams. They haven't been a great elite team. I think they might be now. The Gators are a mess. DJ Lagway is as they're going to fire the coach. I think. I think Miami beats them by double digits. They start one to three, they get an awful then they get Texas in that here's what they get next, Texas, and then at A and M and then after that they get Georgia. So it's going to be a disastrous season for the Gators, which is a surprise. I thought they'd be better than that. But Miami's pretty good. Mark, you'd be proud of your canes down here there. They're legit, legit, They really.
Speaker 4: Are thoughts off Florida State.
Speaker 6: You know what a crazy turn. They're really good. Two years in a row they went third. They go thirteen to others and the quarterback gets third and then everybody could sloop them. Last year, they're a disaster. They're two and ten, one of the worst teams in the country. I give him credit. He fired his offensive coordinator, fired his defensive coordinator, fired half his coach, and ran off hafits players. They went and got twenty some players in the portal, Gus Miles on to run the offense, Tony White to run the defense. All of a sudden, they're good again. Do you realize this? Do you really think about this? Of their twenty two starting players, that's the twenty two players that started the Florida the start of the Alabama game seventeen did not to start their careers at Florida State. Now, I want you to think about that for a second. Mark, Well, the twenty two players that started that game against Alabama seventeen began their college careers at another university. Isn't that amazing the world we're in now? But that's what these guys do. They go out and get Remember these portal guys are twenty two and twenty three years old. So these twenty two year olds are playing against high school, college freshman and sophomoorrees and that's many difference. I think. I think they're pretty good. And the schedule softens up on October fourth, it's Miami and FSU. It might be like the old age, it might be a really good Miami.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it's seventeen new guys shows me that foot locker is open for business in Tallahasse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Frank, I love that. Thanks so much that along.
Speaker 6: Ah, My tell a man, friends don't appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, pass that along your program. All right, look forward to seeing you on Sunday, my friend, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 6: Okay, Mark, good to catch that.
Speaker 1: Tak care Okay, So Frank Sigator and Mark Sekine. So if they're going to take shots, it's gonna be at Florida State. Although Gators and Canes they don't get along. You'll see that this weekend. They do not get along. Goes back to the seventies thing they got all. There's respect with Florida State, Miami, there's respect with FORLID State Florida. There is hatred between Miami and Florida, unless well, Frank and Mark get together. Now markedn go to Miami, but he definitely bleeds Kynes because of his time there calling games back in the late nineteen nineties in the early two thousands, So he definitely bleeds Knes. And that's gonna be a good one this weekend. Canes and Gators. But Mark taking the shot about foot Locker University of Florida State of course. Of course Mark was gonna take a shot at the Seminoles, even though, like I said, he has more of a hatred for the Gators.
Speaker 2: But good stuff they're from.
Speaker 1: Frank and this is an interesting one from the standpoint of Christian Kirk going back to Duval County, Eric Murray playing against the Texans. So a little bit of kind of swappage on both sides is gonna make this one quite quite interesting on Sunday, There's no question about that.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: The particulars that will be in this game.
Speaker 4: C J.
Speaker 1: Stroud, Dimiko Ryans, even Liam Cohen all we're at the mic this week, so let's do a little Texans audio juke box next. Hearing from those three in particular right here in Texans All Access staping. Everybody, Welcome back to this final segment of Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: For this wonderful, wonderful Wednesday evening. I'm your host, John Harris.
Speaker 1: Foot play on the sideline Reporter for your Houston Texans taper, Little Texans Audio juke box. Before we close it down and turn it over to Area forty five. I was wonderful Wednesday, wherever you are. So a couple of Texans spoke today. A couple of Jaguars had things to say as well, so we'll play a little bit of that as well. But let's start with Demico Ryan and as I mentioned earlier, injury report looks a little better because you got Christian Kirk, Braxton, Barrios, Jake Andrews back in a limited capacity. Here's Coach when asked about his injured guys coming back.
Speaker 10: That's good to get our guys back, you know, getting Christian, bag Barrios, Jake is good to see them back out at practice today. Will continue to see how the week goes for them, but is encouraging to see them out there today working. Hopefully they can help us on Sunday.
Speaker 1: All for it, getting as many guys back as possible. As I mentioned, Jalen Smith did not practice due to hamstring, but Barrios, Andrews and Kirk back at practice today.
Speaker 2: That was great. Now Kirk used to be a member of the Jaguars.
Speaker 1: What about the current Jaguars team, Well, we asked it, Cassearria Frisk out of report. Here's coach giving you a little bit more concise report because he's up at the podium as opposed to with us. Here's coach talking about the Jags.
Speaker 10: From the Jags, I see, you know, really an explosive offense. He got playmakers starting with the running back to me, etn is really good player, tough tackle, right, so we got to do a great job of tackling again this week. Another Gary back. And the receivers. I think Brian Thomas one of the best young receivers in the league. Really like his skill set, really explosive player, plays, really great hands, attacking a deep part of the field as well. And they got Travis Hunter throw him in the mix, another another playmaker they're trying to feed the ball to a little bit more. Watching the Cincinnati game, Nan Trevor's done a really good job. I think Liam has done a really nice job working with Trevor. You can see some improvements from him, Like if the first guy's open, he's ripping it in there, and he rips it, he plays. He's playing decisive, playing on time, and it's still having that athletic ability to move out of the pocket extend plays is really what makes him lethal. So they're doing a really nice job. Offensive line have to definitely give them credit. They're doing a really nice job of protecting only given up one sack this year, so really nice job protecting the quarterback and protecting the football defensively. A lot of different looks. They mix it up a lot. We're gonna be challenged with what they do, especially on a passing situation, second and third down. They mix up a lot of looks, a lot of guys at the line of scrimins dropping in and out.
Speaker 7: Of coverage looks, pressure looks.
Speaker 10: So we have our hands full there when it comes to picking those things up and being decisive where they are. But they do a really nice job of attacking the football, playing fast and physical. Really like the way a defense is playing well.
Speaker 1: The Jacksonville Jaguars traded up to number two. We all knew it for Travis Hunter at that point, and James Gladstone GM next day talked about how Travis was gonna change the game. Unfortunately, there was always some blowback on that, and it's not really about Travis. It's about Gladstone making too much of the situation.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I said earlier, I do think we're gonna see a little bit more Travis, especially in a Division game. I think these are the games you kind of save him for. This is what Tryan's is seeing from Travis Hunt.
Speaker 10: For Travis, we just we play like we have to do us better, so it's not us just singling out one player. He's definitely a part of what they do and they will try to feature him, but we don't overextend ourselves to try to chase ghosts or anything. Can heal lines all over the place. He will be in every position. They're gonna find ways to get in the ball. We just have to play sound and what we do defensively, and just we have to make the players we're supposed to make. Then when they do put him on the defensive side at the corner position. See he made a really nice play there on the sideline breaking up a pass you talk about a talented player, and you see why he's drafted where he's drafted, the impact he's had at both places he was at, you know, Jackson State and also at Colorado. You see the impact that the kid has made. Outstanding young man, outstanding player, and it's really cool to see a guy be able to play on both sides of the football and in the National Football League where a lot of people say it can't be done, but it's impressing.
Speaker 1: He still hasn't gotten that game yet where he's played, you know, one hundred snaps. My guess is, and it depends on what the weather is gonna be. You know, it looks like it could be a rainy, wet one on Sunday. If it's not, it's definitely gonna be hot because Jacksonville's got very similar weather to Houston. I know this really well. I thought, going to Jacksonville, Okay, it's Floria, it's gonna be No, it's the exact same weather basically that you're gonna get here. It's just here we're play inside. There they play outside, and you know we'll get wet if it rains, but so be it. That's just what it's gonna be that said, that could determine what they do with Travis Hunter. And I said this, and we said it draft night. Playing hundred players in the NFL, is that's not a recipe for success consistently. Can you do it a game or two? Yes, back to back games, no playoff games potentially when the weather william, what's colder, when you have to worry about, you know, being out to for one hundred plays in night your heat, maybe, but it's just really hard to do that said, I think this is one of those games for the Jacks where they might want Travis Hunter on the field a lot more than he has been on either side of the ball. So I'm sort of expecting that to happen. Now we've gone on to Jacksonville, had a lot of success, but the games for the most part of the twenty twenty three have been really really close. The wins, Dubiko ryans asad wins. They're close wins. But Miko said, look, that's that's the league, man, That's what this league is all about.
Speaker 10: Every game you're in, you really would like to win in a convincing fashion. As I tell guys, it's not it's the big schools versus the smallest It's NFL football, So every week you're playing against competitive opponents. It's not just oh, this is a w just because this team is on the schedule every week. You got to bring your best every single week. So whether it's a close game, whether it's not close, you just got to find a way to finish with the win. And that's what our guys are focused on. It's not focused on how many times we've been in one possession games. Guys, players, you don't think that way. You just think about going out. Whatever is in front.
Speaker 7: Of you, you attack it, you execute the right way, and you.
Speaker 10: Focus on winning that particular down and however the game shapes out. Right, we know they're gonna be tight. We know it always comes down to the fourth quarter, right, And that's why they have the red Zone channel.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, coach right about that. That's why they have the red Zone channel. And Scott Hansen always talks about the witching hour when you have like four or five games that are all close. Man, this league is all close. Everybody's got the same salary cap. You're blowing teams out. It's not what this league is all about. We'll hear a little bit more from CJ. In a little bit about that. He is kind of a pointed question back at the media. We'll get to that in just a second. But Asdamika ryans talking about games being close, man, it's why you got red zone channel.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get to CJ.
Speaker 1: Stropp asked, of course, the question that has been on everybody's mind about the offense.
Speaker 2: Where's it going, what's the progress? He says, they're really close.
Speaker 1: And I know that people, some that I know very well, have been barking at this, really upset about it. And essentially the point is, okay, well then prove it. Well it's an opportunity to prove it. Against Jacksonville Jaguars. But CJ said, yeah, man, I think we're moving closer to what it is that we want to be.
Speaker 9: They're really close. You know, we're like one or two plays away from you know, when in the tight games gets good teams and some two weeks he so you know, we're still building, still growing still you know again used to play on one another. So but yeah, we're very close.
Speaker 2: So here's my frustration with this.
Speaker 1: People get upset hearing CJ tmico us.
Speaker 2: Talk about it.
Speaker 1: Now it's a little different for us because Mark and I we can avoid that because we know that's something that you know, people.
Speaker 2: Don't want to hear her or go prove it or whatever.
Speaker 1: We can catch it because we got the mic, We got thirty minutes, we get an hour, we got two hours to be able to talk and discuss it.
Speaker 2: But we also aren't being.
Speaker 1: Asked the question every single time we go to a damn press conference. What are you gonna say? How do you change up the answer to the press conference?
Speaker 4: You don't?
Speaker 1: You say, yeah, we're getting closer, we're doing better things. And he's right in a sense that we have been close. You make a couple of plays against the Rams. You want to know you make those plays, you probably are gonna make some plays against the Bucks you're two and zero, but you didn't. And now you gotta climb out of a hole. But that's not the question being asked. The questions are being asked so it begets that answer. So if you're getting mad, get mad at people were answering the damn same question, and you know who I'm mad at.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: Okay, calm down, John, here we go now to that all being said, what are the things that CJ thinks he can improve on and help the team get better. He kinda had a really interesting right off the top one word everything.
Speaker 9: I don't know everything. I can always be better. I told them the other day, like, if anything he sees or anybody sees, I can be better and let me know, you know. I think I my process has really been good lately. I'll see the field well, putting the ball is supposed to be, with the coverages and whatnot, and some things. It's just I didn't really get a ton of reps with some of the guys we're getting in the game at receiver, so that's a little bit of a challenge. But I think that's one of my biggest things, just being the coach on the field, you know, and taking that step. And it takes time, it's not overnight. So that's the area I think I can go.
Speaker 1: One of the things I love about CJ is how hypercritical he is about himself. That he's always looking inward, trying to find the right answers for himself, knowing that if he does better, offense does better, then you don't get asked the question about where the offense is et cetera, et cetera. So that being said, I'm just I'm still stuck on that, still suck on that whole thing.
Speaker 2: But I'll get past it either way.
Speaker 1: Dimko has asked this a little while ago two about close games, and I think CJ has a better response in a sense because he's like, look at the scores.
Speaker 2: What are the scores every single week?
Speaker 4: How many blowouts.
Speaker 2: Are there in the NFL?
Speaker 4: There aren't.
Speaker 2: I mean we're only two. I'll take a win anywhere you can get it.
Speaker 1: That's what CJ says here about just winning a game and you know, doing what you gotta do to win that game.
Speaker 9: I mean, how many blog wins do you see it? And we've had those games like we played New England last year, had a really good game again, same played the Chargers day, same thing. My rookie year. We had a couple of block wins. So I mean, you know what I'm saying, it's yeah, I mean, you know, if you can blow everybody out, that's the NFL. It's the best players in the world for a reason, you know what I'm saying. So I don't know, I just want to I don't care how it looks where it's at.
Speaker 5: You just want to.
Speaker 1: Win a men, because the last I looked, it says w L T in the column this is win loss, tie. Doesn't say pretty win, doesn't say ugly loss. It doesn't say oh now it has the point discrepancy. But that has never really come into play in a playoff seating situation, all that kind of stuff. You just play to win games. As Herman Edwards said, you played win a game, win a game twenty three, twenty two, forty three, forty two. I don't care ninety three to six. However, you got to do it.
Speaker 4: Do it.
Speaker 1: That's that's it. So go in a football game in Duval County. Speaking of Duval County, let's hear from Liam Cohen as he's getting his team ready for the Houston Texans to come to town.
Speaker 2: And you know the Jags are ready.
Speaker 1: Just listen to this answer from Liam Cohen about the Texans come to town.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we talked just now as a team and really just talked about the focus being on us, and we need it to be. We don't have time to waste energy or emotional energy on anything else besides fixing and correcting the issues and mistakes from our game and putting our effort into you know, we had a huge.
Speaker 8: Indivision opponent this week.
Speaker 11: Yes, we have an opponent we have to play and prepare for, but we really have to focus on us right now and get some of this stuff cleaned up that we, you know, messed up yesterday.
Speaker 8: Coaches, players, everybody.
Speaker 11: But you know, I think at this point it's so early like these Yeah, there may be who knows what emotions, you know, I can't speak to that, but I can say that these guys, I think they'll come in with the right mindset mentality this week to come and.
Speaker 8: Get this thing right in terms of things.
Speaker 11: We got to get fixed and be ready to go play a tough, physical game that we're going to go we have to play on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I love that response from Liam Cohen.
Speaker 1: Loved it because he's putting the focus right back on the game. I will say that is going to be a big challenge for them. That situation that happened last year, it was talked about, it was talked about the Jacksonville media.
Speaker 2: Jacksonville media is.
Speaker 1: Talking about this, and you know, the Texas is coming back. And besides the fact that that incident happened, last year. The Texans have gone down to Duval County in one in twenty eighteen, twenty twenty, twenty one, twenty two, twenty three, and twenty four.
Speaker 2: That to me is the bigger issue.
Speaker 1: Then oh azizel Shier is coming back to Jacksonville, et cetera, et cetera. Let them be pumped up, let them be over jacked up and do some things wrong because they're focusing on the wrong things. That's why I felt like that quote from Liocn. Cohen was a great one to hone in on because that's the exact right philosophy he's got to have. And it goes with the Texans too, you know the Texans. You know Seth Pain's talked about this and he's absolutely dead on. You know, swarm is is perfect. It's great mentality, but it can't be you know, this hyperkinetic swarm where you're throwing shoulders into guys and you're not making good tackles, and you're getting yourself out of gaps because you're just twitching to get off the ball, all those kind of things.
Speaker 2: You've got to do things right. The whole key to swarm is doing things right.
Speaker 1: As Belichick said, do your job, So play with swarm mentality, but do the things right. Turn it up to volume ten, as Ezel Shire talked about in the locker room today. Turn it to volume ten. But if you go from zero to ten, we're gonna make mistakes. We gotta be ramping this thing up throughout, and then there are times when you can really crank up the volume. So there's gonna be a lot of volume for sure on Sunday with Texans and Jags. Texans desperately needing a win. Jags want to prove they can play with the big boys, and this is one of those opportunities. Now, I don't think this is Jacksonville's styled honestly, they don't play as physical as we do. They need to play their style, which is fast, get out and play fast. We got fast guys. We're gonna try and embarrass you with our speed. Jacksonville, That's what I focus on. But hopefully I'm not well, I'm not Jacksonville, thankfully, and hopefully they don't. Hopefully they get, you know, down into Quagmar with us, and if they do, they're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get physically beat up. If not, well, they might have.
Speaker 1: A shot because they got some athletes, There's no question about that on that side of the ball. All Right, that's gonna do it for this evening Evening show. A big thanks to Dimico, CJ. Liam Cohen for this final segment. A big thanks to Frank Frangie, longtime friend from Jacksonville and great on a mike there as a play by playman for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Xavier Hutchinson, Jacksonville native jumping on the show, did a great job and he played my.
Speaker 2: Game extremely, extremely well.
Speaker 1: Tomork vandermir the executive vice president General Manager Nick Caseario, appreciate everybody for being a part of this show.
Speaker 2: We'll see you tomorrow and as always, go Texans.