Speaker 1: And now my mic back, you're like that.
Speaker 2: You can strike waters from headquarters behind him.
Speaker 1: And now if you are just tuning into civic cipher, I am your host of Ramsey's job.
Speaker 3: He is Jah, I am q Ward. You are listening to civic ciphers.
Speaker 1: Indeed, keep sticking around because we are still doing our thug fizzle up here. We're gonna talk about forgiveness in the black community, and we're gonna use Will Smith as an example. I I'm really excited to talk about that also far away black history fact. We're gonna talk about a guy named Solomon Sir Jones, a name that you might not be familiar with, but this is a man that preserved a not insignificant amount of Black history and his name needs to be mentioned, and why the history he preserved needs to be mentioned as well, so that you understand and can appreciate a little bit more about your black brothers and sisters. And that's what we're here to do. But first and foremost, I think it's about time that we teach you a new way to become a better ally baba. How does that sound cute? Shall we we shall so today's baba become a better ally sponsored by the Black Information Network Daily Podcast. You can check out Black Information Network Daily Podcast on iHeart dot com or through the iHeartRadio app. Now, this story comes from the Grilloh everyone that everyone has that one excus sorry, everyone has that one extravagant person in their lives, that person who always shows up fashionably late and dressed to the nines, no matter the occasion, whether that's your bougie Anti or the Beyonce of your friend group. We've hunted down an array of unique and chic gifts for the fashion gurus on your list this year. Now, the reason we chose this is because we want you to support black businesses. It's holiday season and these are companies that we've littled down for you and don't And I also want to mention that this list is available on our Facebook it's at Civic Cipher and on our Twitter at Civic Cipher. So we're going to shout out these companies. There's ten of them, so Lorvae and Alisa Johnson that's Magic Johnson's daughter. Uh, they are making these really dope glasses, like fashion glasses, So check them out if you know someone that wants some glasses for the holidays. I think this is pronounced sukra uh. And then another one that's Oma, the label they make jewelry. The jewelry looks really dope. I checked it out. Strict Alma, nwok Ornuoki, marchhae Chanell Squared and Irregular Exposure. All these companies make women's clothing. Amina abdul Jalil makes shoes and they're like women's shoes. I'm not a woman, so they're cool women shoes. I don't know what they're called, but they got the thing in the back. And Brandon Blackwood makes handbags. And again check our Twitter or our Facebook at Civic Cipher to get some cool gift ideas and at the same time support a black business and that way a black business and that way you can become a better ally. All right, moving on forgiveness. All right, so I'm going to share a quick story. I also host a podcast. Q joins me very often on the show The Black Information Network Daily Podcast. And then I have a special version of that show that I put out from time to time whenever. My producer, Chris leves Me called one More Thing. And some months ago I had a one More Thing installment where I talked about the Will Smith apology. Right, So this is after the Oscar slap. He was he got a camera and it was like a newsroom in the middle of nowhere, and he just kind of spoke to the camera for a few minutes and apologized to everyone, in particular to Chris Rock and his family. And I saw that, and I saw that he owned his mistake. He acknowledged that he hurt Chris Rock above all else. He heard his fans, he heard casual you know, viewers of the show here at the Academy. You know, he stole a night that was so special to so many people because of his behavior. Right, he acknowledged that, and from what I understand or what I recall of that, he committed to trying to be a better man and doing better in the future. Right. And then of course he says, you know, Chris, whenever you're ready to talk, I'm here, right, not continuing to you know, harp on his name or anything like that. But listen, man, I was wrong. When you're ready, I'm here, let me make it right. You know, this is the energy that he gave up. I'm not quoting him. I want to make sure that that's clear. And so I had to make an episode because I saw that, and I saw people saying some some stuff that I didn't really love. People were like, that's not an apology or a man he deserves, you know, blah blah blah. We need to we need to stop watching you know that sort of stuff. Right, And you know, admittedly a lot of these comments come from the internet, but the Internet is a real thing. It is. We can't pretend like it's not. And you know, part of the reason, we'll get to it later. But part of the reason Will Smith said that he lost his cool in the moment where he ended up slapping Chris Rock was because of in part at least because he had endured so much online abuse because of his marriage and some of the goings on in his marriage, right, and it just became more than he could handle. I'm not making excuses for that man. That man is not making excuses for himself. Okay, be clear about that. Anyway, So he does his apology and I look at this, and I look at the comments, and I'm like, wait a minute, what more do we want from a person if they've done something wrong? You know, Here's what I did. Here's how it made you feel. Here's what I'm going to do in the future. Beyond that, what more do we want? Right? Are people supposed to be born perfect? Are people supposed to be born and then not make mistakes? Or let me ask another question, Are people simply the worst thing that they've ever done? I think you would say, no, that's not true anymore than people are simply the best thing that they've done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but most people would say that with regard to themselves. Sure, and were talking about me, we're the best lawyers in the world. We're talking about you. We become judge justice, thank you, right, we become We're going to tell you all the things that you did wrong and all the punishment you deserve for them. But when we're talking about ourselves, we're going to explain to you, marginalize, justify, make excuses for all of our wrongs. Because of course there was a reason. I'm not just a bad person, right, right, So all that context, all that nuance, and all that color exists when I'm talking about me. When I'm talking about you, you're just awful ramses and you need to be able to own and accept that.
Speaker 1: So I love that you said that, because they're in life, the double standard and dare I say the hypocrisy that we all need to come to terms with right And I think that we this show exists to try to create a little bit more empathy in our conversations and our interactions and so forth. And I think as an additional babba, I would challenge you if you can see attacks online and you feel like that person is going through it better than than me, but you don't feel like the attacks are entirely warranted, maybe speak up.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Will Smith says something in his interview with Trevenau which we'll get to, but he says, you never know what a person's going through. And I know that this what we're trying to do is to discussed black forgiveness, and I will bring it home. But I do believe that forgiveness to err is human right to forgive divine. So this is not just a black issue. I think that in black circles, especially with black men, our mental health has been addressed more and more in modern years, particularly because of people like Charlemagne bringing it out into the open so we can discuss it. How do we feel is our mind? Is our brain lying to us? You know? I used to think because of bad information. I used to think that I don't even want to go into it, but I used to think really bad things about black people. And I thought that I was bad because I as a black person. Right, And that's as much as I'll give right now, because I don't feel like crying on this show. But I had to grow up with that.
Speaker 3: Right, we'd be tearing up on this like crying again, you mean, right, right exactly, we'd be in this thing.
Speaker 1: But I had to grow up with that, right and you know, the self hat you know, we talked about self hatred in the first half of the show with a lot of the black white supremacist. Now, obviously I didn't get nowhere near that far gone, but I did recognize that I didn't. I wish that I wasn't me. Why would I be born and have consciousness? Why would I be born this person? What did I do to deserve this? How come I can't have a happy story where my family came on the Mayflower? Why did my family have to be slaves? How can I be proud of that? And then everyone I see that looks like me is poor and crying and they don't have food and nobody. You know what I'm saying. And I'm from confidence, So my experience is not universal among black people, but I had a real childhood.
Speaker 3: It may not be universal.
Speaker 1: It's not uncommon though.
Speaker 3: But it's definitely not uncountable that most Black people in this country, even those who have reached the pinnacle of success and wealth, they're at most a generation removed from the exact story that you told.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? That not great brand, but just grandma. Yeah. Doctor Wessenbergh comes to the show all the time and she always tells us the stories of what life was like growing up herself. So anyway, so mental health, right, us taking a moment now to have at least a conversation about our mental health, our self image, what it means to be exhausted, and how effective we are as fathers and as protectors and as you know, leaders and as you know, whatever your role is, you know, to take a moment and make sure that our brain isn't lying to us. It's become a little bit more important, right. But what I've seen is that we also need to have conversations about how to forgive each other. That doesn't mean that we don't take responsibility. That doesn't mean that at all, because I think that I think one of the highest testaments to manhood. I'm a man, so I will speak for men and adulthood because I'm an adult, so I will speak to that is acknowledging where you fall short and owning that and owning the impact that it makes, and owning how you are going to revise your behavior if you don't don't like it. Again, here's what I did, Here's how it made you feel. Here's what I'll do in the future.
Speaker 3: That gives us a lot to unpack. And the lack of what you just said is what has caused a sort of hypervigilance or a gross need for hyper accountability. That's where cancel culture came from. People think that people just that we all just jumped off the porch wanting to cancel people because we're mean. I guess I think you know. We speak about like the Me Too movement as a moment in history. So many years of so many men taking full advantage of their manhood and broad daylight at the peril of so many women caused a backlash that for some people felt like it was too far. But you have to understand this is in the face of impunity. Sure, so many people have not been held accountable. Now everyone has to be yeah, right, So the lack of people saying this is what I did, this is how it made you feel, this is what you deserve, and this is what I plan to do, causes people to overreach because if they think nothing's being done or no one's being held accountable, they want accountability on a grander scale exactly. So that's what leads to that kind of lack of forgiveness, Like, no, we don't want another person to get away with doing something wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you said that, because, if I'm honest, didn't even think of the opposite side of that, right, So I'm glad you brought that into the conversation here. Now, let's talk about will Smith, just because it gives us a great opportunity to examine what forgiveness looks like. Now again, to err is human and then when it comes to black people and black men in particular, because I have that frame of reference, these conversations don't often happen because we're not taught this and because we are dealing with other societal pressures and we need the discipline and we need to, you know, understand the pressures that we have so that we can do a lot more healing and a lot less fighting, on and on. You know, again, this is a constructive show, not a destructive show. We try to make it that way. It's an important thing to point out. But we have to also acknowledge black white supremacists too, so not tear them down, just point it out. So don't give these people your attention, money, time, energy, or anyone like them. And that's how we beat that anyway, back to what I'm saying. So Will Smith goes on to the Trepanoah show, okay, and he talks about that slap after he talks about the movies promoting right and I'll be honest, man, that was good to see his face. Will Smith is not again, this is me talking. I won't speak for you, I won't speak for anyone else. He's not the worst thing that he's ever done. You're not the worst. Listening to my voice, You're not the worst thing you've ever done. I certainly hope I will not be the worst thing I've ever done on my day of judgment or whatever.
Speaker 3: I know some people who are dead set that I am sure. Fortunately we've heard them say it out loud. Well, those people are not God.
Speaker 1: Amen. Now Will Smith mentioned he's like, you know, my father used to hit my mother. I think it might have been Trevor Noah said that he read that in Will's book that you know he saw a lot of abuse growing up. So there was a component of that. Right. I mentioned earlier that Will mentioned that he had pent up rage from a lot of the online harassment, a lot of which was directed at his relationship with his wife and people everyone had their opinions on what he should have done, what he shouldn't have done, how he should feel or shouldn't feel, and know him being emotional about it, and you got to bear man's this man's wife, there is children. People have a.
Speaker 3: Very very slighted view of how impossible it is to live all of your life publicly, not just your public persona in your career, but your relationship as well. I unfortunately had a small peak into what a public relationship with a public figure looks and feels like. I remember that it is not fun, It is not exciting, especially when there are hardships and downfalls and mistakes. They are also made out loud and in front of people, and you get to hear how, in my case, thousands of people, in his case, millions of people feel about the decisions that you make that hurt that person, that there might be that person's fan and not yours, and so you are ppetuity the bad guy. The whole Will Smith thing has been complicated for me. Rams is because I've I've never met Chris Rock, but as you know, I have a very close relationship with his brother and met Will when I first started my career in professional sports and entertainment, have been to his home and got some of the best advice I ever got from him. Both of those guys were heroes to me, both of them superheroes. And seeing them put in a position where for a moment they were, you know, because of Will's decision, opposition to each other, and they never been that before. And what we've all seen is, you know, I got to feel how one of my best friends felt about his brother being hit in front of everybody world.
Speaker 1: That's a lot to reconcile.
Speaker 3: And I also, you know, never like for us to be out front at each other like that. You and I, in our own way have steered as clear as we can of being opposition to someone that as far as views go, we are opposed to, but we've tried very hard to not have it be framed as an US versus him, even with things that we're dealing with.
Speaker 1: Q was being very cryptic, but I know what he's talking about it and you probably know too.
Speaker 3: So it hurt to see them in that space. I must say, however, though Will is trying.
Speaker 1: That's where I want it, because I think that forgiveness starts with intention trying, right, and I think that we should honor that in our interpersonal relationships one on one, when we look at people and offer our opinions online, when we move through time and space, we have to acknowledge that we are human beings interacting with other human beings. Right. Will says something in his interview says, be nice. You never know what someone else is going through. He says, on that day, I was going through some stuff, right, and for whatever reason, he thought what he did was the right thing. And in short order he tells the story. He says, when I got home, my nephew was at home. He was watching the oscars. He says, my nephew came and sat on my lap, and he held the oscar. That oscar or emmy oscar? Okay cool? So he sat on his lap and held the oscar and he says, uncle, Will, why did you hit that man? And Will was like, oh my god. And in that moment he realized that was the wrong thing.
Speaker 3: To do and they need to try to maybe even not just in that moment when you talk about an exclamation.
Speaker 1: Mark, there you go, that's that's probably because I don't want to speak for the man, but you know, And since then he's like, look, that was wrong. That whole night was a stupor what I did, what I said afterward, It just that was where I was at and that's not who I want to be. So how do I make it right? How does he make it right? Ask yourself, what do we want from people when they make mistakes? If not perfection apparently, but what is perfection after you've made a mistake. If we can understand and appreciate that human beings make mistakes, if you yourself recognize the mistakes are possible in your own life and skin right, then what do we want from other people when they make mistakes? Do we want them to apologize? Do we want them to acknowledge the hurt that they've you know, cause do we want them to adjust their you know, behavior moving forward? Do we want some sort of compensation?
Speaker 3: I mean, you hit the nail on the head man starting at I was wrong, that's a lot. Yeah, I was wrong, and I apologize without no qualifiers at all. What I did was wrong. Stop I apologize. Stop like, that's it. There's not qualifiers there, you know. Apparently for some people there is no right thing to do after a mistake. You made that mistake, So that's it. That's it, and that's fair. But if we are inclined to forgive someone, we need to really be conscientious of what that looks like. And if you feel like people don't deserve any grace, any forgiveness, then keep that energy and expect that in return. Point exactly now, I want to say that no one deserves forgiveness. Please include yourself that equation.
Speaker 1: Yes, now, I do want to say this. I wrote this note and I think it sounds great. Trevor No was very gracious. Trevor allowed him to not be a perfect human, but be perfectly human, right, recognizing that human beings are flawed creatures. And I do want to add this, and this is kind of one of the things that sort of helped me start thinking about this as a concept. You know, forgiveness among us black people. You know, there's we have stuff, gang stuff, we have you know, click stuff, wrap beefs and all this sort of stuff in our communities, and forgiveness is not talked about nearly enough. And so this is why I really wanted to take some time. But there were two people that I saw. This was a year's old video, but I just saw it recently, So forgive me, sports guys, I'm not a sports guy again. I saw Magic Johnson and Isaiah Thomas. They were interviewing with each other. Were they forgave each other? Now, I don't even know why they were mad in the first place, I'll tell you that. But story one day, when the MIC's turned along, okay, but it was beautiful, they broke down. They started crying. I guess they were friends once upon a time. Clos and Jordan Ram's level friends. Oh, that would never happen to me and you But you know what I'm saying. You could see that.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm but imagining it did happen to me and you? Yeah, can paint why you saw them so emotional.
Speaker 1: But for that video again, if you wanted to go Google at Magic Johnson Isaiah Thomas interview, you see why forgiveness is important and just how healing it can be. And I think it's important for us to start to center that in our conversations in addition to our mental health and scene. And now it's time for the Way Black History Fact. Today's Way Black History Fact is sponsored by Major Threads Men'swear. To get the finest in men'swear, check out major threads dot com our Way Black History Fact. Today, we're talking about Solomon Sir Jones from eighteen sixty nine to nineteen thirty six right. He was an American minister and an amateur filmmaker, best known for his collection of twenty nine silent black and white films totally three hundred and fifty five minutes worth of footage documenting African American communities in Oklahoma from nineteen twenty four in nineteen twenty eight. In twenty sixteen, Jones's films were selected for the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress. Is being culture truly, historically or esthetically significant. Jones was born in Tennessee to parents who had once been enslaved. He grew up in the South before moving to Oklahoma in eighteen eighty nine. Jones became an influential Baptist minister, building and pastoring fifteen churches, who was head of the Buoyd faction of Negro Baptists in America, and was a successful businessman. Jones's films consist of twenty nine silent black and white films documenting African American communities in Oklahoma from nineteen twenty four to nineteen twenty eight. They contained three hundred and fifty five minutes of footage shot with the then new sixteen millimeter cameras. The films document a rich tapestry of everyday life funerals, sporting events, schools, parades, businesses, Masonic meetings, river baptisms, families at home, African American oil barons and their wells, Black colleges, June teen celebrations, and a transcontinental foot race. Jones's films have been preserved by the Smithsonian Institute, the Baynecki Rare Book in mana U Script Library of the Yale University Library, and the National Museum of African American History and culture shot out to them. They are considered to be the most extensive film records we have of southern and urban black life and culture at the time of rapid social and cultural change for African Americans during the nineteen twenties and the very beginning of the Great Migration, which transformed not only Black people as a whole, but America itself. Jones filmed Oklahoma residents in their homes, during their social, school and church activities, in the businesses they owned, and performing various jobs. The films documents several Oklahoma communities, including Forgive Me Oklahoma, Muscogee, Okmolgi, Tulsa, Weewaka, Bristow, and tact The films also document Jones's trips to Indiana, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, New York City, South Carolina, Colorado, and overseas to France, England, Palestine, Switzerland, Italy, North Africa and Germany. I've been all those places except like two. Slates between scenes identify location, states, and subjects. Jones frequently filmed at various locations by positioning himself outside of building while people exited the building in a line. This perspective provides footage of people as they walk by the camera, usually looking directly at it. Footage of churches includes congregants exiting the service and socializing outside. Footage of schools often include students playing outside or doing exercises, and footage of people at their homes includes them outside on their porches or in their yards aside from church and scheduled school activities. People presumably exited at Jones's request for the purposes of being filmed by him. In addition to his work with film, Jones was a businessman and a Baptist minister who either established or was the pastor of some fifteen churches in his lifetime. He was the son of ex slaves or in Tennessee and grew up in the South. Jones spent the next several decades building black institutions, establishing churches, newspapers, and business and supporting the activities of schools and hospitals. Jones also remained active in church politics, holding leadership roles in the National Baptist Convention of America, one of the largest African American denominations in the United States. For many years, Jones was a fierce defender of black institutions one of many African American leaders in Oklahoma who supported what came to be called all Black Towns, municipalities occupied and governed by black settlers. One of these towns was targeted in nineteen twenty one Here we Go by white mobs for one of the worst racist attacks in American history, referred to as the Tulsa race Massacre. More than eight hundred people were admitted to hospitals, and as many as six thousand black residents were interned in large facilities, many of them for several days. The Oklahoma Sorry the Oklahoma Bureau of Vital Statistics, officially recorded thirty six dead. A two thousand and one State Commission examination of events was able to confirm that of the thirty six dead, twenty six were black and ten white. It is believed that there are many more than thirty six had died. I just want to tell you that that's not in this here memory based on contemporary autopsy reports, death certificates, and other records. Jones was well traveled, traveling across not only the United States but overseas as well. His films of his overseas travels were only slightly less significant than Jones's Films of Oklahoma, which still serve as a visual commemoration of the thirty five years he spent advocating for African American people and institutions in Oklahoma. Now, I do want to say that I pulled from two sources. One was the Yale Yale because they have the actual footage in turn in that entity Yale the School and Wikipedia. So this is why you might hear a couple of things repeated twice. I also want to say that, you know, this might seem sort of maybe unremarkable to us modern folks, but for us, for black people, you know, when we see old movies, old films, silent films like this, we often see ourselves as either not there or some sort of caricature of ourselves, or as servants. We're propping up society rather than participating in it. And for those of you who maybe didn't grow up black, for those of you that have old films where you see yourself represented, your culture, people represented, driving cars and engaging in whatever, you kind of take it for granted. But when you don't have that, and you see those films and you've notice that there are no black people here, and the black people you do they're just serving people. Again, there's not a lot of dignity that you can find. You can find black people existed. And these films are not only important because there was a black filmmaker, but they're important because, as I mentioned, he filmed locations by positioning himself outside of the building. So he saw people coming out of stores, he saw people coming out of churches, he saw people playing, people sitting in their front yard, people just having fun and living their lives. And they were black, and that's not something that you find in films like this from that time. We're people, you know, We're not just you know, when you think back in the day, you think slaves, right, and that's fair because back in the day, that's all we were, you know what I mean. But except that was never all we were. And thank you, and these films are important because it shows a full human being living in America who has melanin in his skin and her skin and their skin. And so again we want to shout out Solomon Sir Jones for archive in these film for us to enjoy, check out his work and just get a glimpse into what it looks like to be black and successful. Before they came and burned it down in nineteen twenty one. So yeah, sorry, but that's going to do it for us here on Civic Cipher. Once again, I'm your host, Rams' Jah.
Speaker 3: He is Rams's Jah, I am Qward. Thank you guys for tuning in with us again. Thank you guys for listening every week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Guys for caring about what we're talking about. Yeah, you know, these topics don't have to be important to you, especially if you're not black. For those of you that are not, that invests so much of your time and energy into what we're talking about and how we feel and our experiences.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you absolutely. Today's show is produced by Maggie B. Knowen. Hit the website cipcipper dot com to submit any questions, any topics, make a donation. The show is growing and it continues to grow with your support. Follow us on all social media of course, at Civiccipher dot com. You can follow Q at imq word, you can follow me at Ramsey joh and of course you can download the show listen to any other previous episode on our website as well. And again, yeah, thanks for listening. So until next week y'all. Peace lady, we handle it.
Speaker 2: These brothers are fabulous. It's our ladies showing you where Vrom traveled this well.
Speaker 1: Speak to you.
Speaker 2: From sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fights the row my mic back.
Speaker 1: You're like that journalist with journalist too.
Speaker 2: We can strike back horb borders with orders from head, borders behind m and the line sides up and the borders the press passage.
Speaker 1: We bring it to you as it happens the streets.
Speaker 2: Love pocked in from music and rapping the street compared the slash week expando. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda. What's happening, it's happen. You've got a questions to ask if the news is just a TV show you're passing And this from Acquife wartime journalist headlines, wake.
Speaker 1: Up, prepeace and resist like this like what like this, like we can't ad