Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hope you had a great weekend.
Speaker 3: Everybody Gangza here ready to go, a lot of things to dive into. Great sports weekend eight seven, seven to three DP show. Tell me what you saw that you liked you didn't like. Operator Tyler's sitting by. Take your phone calls. The King of Comedy, Fritzi's here, Seaton, Marv Pauli in the front row, yours truly and the Brgs. We will be at Lambeau in the Shadow of Lambeau, the Bar on home Grown Way, located about three blocks from Lambeau, famous for their wings just flats, and we will be there Wednesday, Thursday, Friday of the NFL Draft week. Also, we'll do a meet and greet on Wednesday at the Bar from four to six And it's first come, first serve as far as being in the studio audience or with the meet and greet there at the bar. More details coming up. Also the Rematch, that's what it's being called. It's the Rematch. It's pickleball, and it was hotly contested in New Orleans. Fritzy emerged as the Rafina Doll of the group, but the Danetz did ask for a rematch, Marvin decided that he will play left handed, his normal hand. He played right handed for some reason which you still haven't come up with a good reason. Were you just giving the other guys a chance and you played right handed instead of your dominant left handed.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to say the quiet part out loud.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 3: Gino oriem, a freshly minted head coach of the national champion Yukon women's team, will join us in an hour from now. Dan Hurley, the Yukon men's basketball coach. Technically he's still the head coach of the defending two time defending national champs.
Speaker 2: That is until later on tonight. Florida favored by one over Houston. We'll dive into that coming up.
Speaker 3: So eight fifty tip off time, East Coast time, Florida versus Houston, eight.
Speaker 2: Seven to seven to three.
Speaker 3: DP Show Email address Dpadwanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on peacock or you're listening on our radio affiliates around the country. The first hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, official tire expert of the DP Show.
Speaker 2: Go to tire rack dot Com.
Speaker 3: Slash Dan tried the Tire Decision Guide full lineup of Continental Tires, special offers, free road hazard protection, mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot Com is the way tire buying should be. As we always do every Monday, best and Worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked and you didn't like. And for most of the season, Duke was dominating college basketball, and they had talent, they had depth, great coaching. They get into the Final Four against a battle tested Houston team and you had raw talent meeting its match, and it certainly showed. Duke was up by fourteen in the second half, under nine minutes to go, seemingly in control. And as I've said many times on this show, freshmen can act like freshmen, I don't care how talent you are, and they acted like freshman late in that game. Now, Houston didn't flinch.
Speaker 2: That was the key.
Speaker 3: Calvin Samson did a wonderful job of telling his team we're only down by.
Speaker 2: We're only down by.
Speaker 3: Even though it's double digits to Duke and the best player in college basketball. So you have an experienced team, well coached, and when they had the moment when it called for composure. They delivered. Duke did not. But we've seen this before many times. You get that moment and this is where you step up and you make a big play. I thought Duke was nonchalant at times, even trying to get the ball in. Cooper Flag had a moment and his moment passed. But Houston played great, and I think there's moments where you go, this could get out of hand, and it certainly looked like it was going to get out of hand. Kelvin Samson didn't allow his team to let it get out of hand, to get in bare. And then with Florida and Auburn, I thought Auburn was going to win the game. I thought Houston was going to keep close, and I thought that they would. I would take the points with Houston. They end up upsetting them. But Walter Clayton's junior the third has made himself some money. Imagine you're the guy, everybody knows you're the guy, and you still go steph curry on people. And that's what's remarkable. And these are contested shots. These aren't just hey, somebody drive and dish it's I got the ball. I'm going to I'm going to do the driving and I'm going to take the big shot. And that's what was impressive. This is this is quite a run, quite a run for one player. And look, I haven't been sold on Florida. They could win the national title, but I am sold on Walter Clayton. He is a whole lot of fun and he's probably making making himself into a lottery pick now. And I think when the tournament began there was talk maybe at the end of the first round, but what I've seen so far, and I don't want to get caught up too much, and you've done this in a couple of games in the tournament, but I do want to get caught up in the fact that you're doing it in the tournament because you're doing it with high pressure. These are big games, big moments, and that's what's fun to see when you're watching somebody. He was at IONA. Nobody knew that he was at IONA except for the Florida coaching staff that said, you know what, that guy right there could be pretty good. So he was there, Rick Patino. And you're seeing a lot of these teams that have you know, juniors and seniors, you know, transfer players, this is college basketball, and you've seen that Houston has experience. Florida has experience as well. All right, poll question for the first hour of the program, seating is going to be what, well, why don't we.
Speaker 5: Start off with a positive? Who had the best week? Okay, well, Alexandrovichkin, he.
Speaker 2: Did pretty well.
Speaker 5: Decent, that's not bad, Yeah, all time, great weekend. Yeah, Calvin Sampson, Yep, that's pretty nice.
Speaker 2: Yeap. Yeah, that's a hell of a dub to get.
Speaker 5: I think maybe we combined Page Beckers in Gino Oriama.
Speaker 4: They had a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yeah.
Speaker 3: The fact they went nine years without winning a championship is like when Tom Brady went i think nine years without winning a Super Bowl. We've just gotten to that point where you go, wow, it's been that long. When Holly Rowe interviewed Gina Oriema after the game, She's like, you know, last time we were here, it's twenty sixteen and they've had their moments. But I mean, give credit, Paige Beckers. You have a couple of serious injuries to come back. All the greatness, all the greatness you had at Yukon, they all win championships and I'm glad that she was able to put that on her resume because she deserves that.
Speaker 2: She was Caitlin Clark before.
Speaker 3: Caitlin Clark's a really good team and Don Staley knew that, knew that early, and I think that's why she was trying to fire up her team and then she realized, Hey, we got beat by a really, really good team. And I always wonder about this. When you win a national championship, your Gino Oriema, what is that? Twelve titles? Now? Are you going to stay? And he probably looks at the roster and he goes, yoh, why when I leave? I mean, I got I got a star freshman, my best shooter, Fudg's going to come back Like I'm okay, I'm seventy one.
Speaker 2: What else am I going to do?
Speaker 3: You know, if I had a team like that, like Gino, then I would probably come back. It's just I just don't have, you know, a team that I can count on the way he can hypothetically. Yeah, yeah, I talk about specific people pathetically. Now, you know, there's nothing wrong with staying. You like it, you enjoy it. Can you get fired up again?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: And usually you get the energy from your new wave of players, and uh you know when he said we used a scrimmage in the beginning of the season, I didn't think we'd make the tournament. And then all of a sudden they had a run that was similar to the Yukon men's in how they blew people out in the tournament. That's a really really good team and a deep team, and they had far more, you know, far more talent than South Carolina and Don Staley has done a wonderful job there. I just didn't think she had a great player. I think she had a really good team, she just didn't have a great player. Uh So who had the best weekend Seaton? Is that we're looking at Yukon with Paige and Gino and we're looking at Ovechkin.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Who else do we want to put on?
Speaker 5: Certainly Calvin Sampson that's a great win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Walter Clayton junior the third had another great win. Yeah, yes, yes, he did anybody else a little bit.
Speaker 5: Of like a did Duke collapse or did Houston take it?
Speaker 2: Houston collapsed? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think there has to be something has to happen for something to happen, so there has to be action for reaction they have to open the door for a collapse where they don't get rebounds, they don't make field goals, they can't get the ball inbounds, they commit a foul, they allow you know, a putback. That's all they allowed. They did all those things. Now Houston played a role in that. But still you're Duke, You're not getting rebounds. What in the final three minutes, you don't have field goals, not making free throws. I put that on Duke. That's a collapse. Absolutely, yes, Tom, I couldn't help.
Speaker 7: But wonder what was going through coach K's mind as he's sitting there watching this unfold over the last minute and a half two minutes and you know, second guessing in his own mind. He wouldn't necessarily call out coach Shyre and have a discussion after the game.
Speaker 4: But gott to wonder what that foot bubble would be.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, yeah, probably pretty tough to sit there and you can do nothing. Yeah you're just watching. But you know, we think Duke is going to go to the championship game. They should go to the championship game. But Houston hit big shots. Duke had to allow them the opportunity to make those moments, big shots. What else do we have as far as the pole question today? And we'll get to Ovechkin passing Gretz game. How about Vlad Guerrero Junior the third he gets five hundred million from Toronto. Seaton brought up a great point about his dad by how did you.
Speaker 2: Frad Guerrero Junior's dad?
Speaker 4: Not my dad?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right? How did you phrase it about Vlad Guerrero Senior?
Speaker 5: He was like, I just remember him as being one of the greatest sluggers of this generation.
Speaker 2: To never happen. He had a he had a window there.
Speaker 5: Where you were like, dude, this dude is about to go off. Yeah, and then any minute now, this dude is just about to take over, and man, what the heck happened?
Speaker 3: I thought he was the guy. Nine time All Star, one of the best bad ball hitters. Always had the pine tar on the front of his batting helmets.
Speaker 5: Batting helmet looked like it had been in a fire something that's just completely torn up.
Speaker 2: But he's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: It just it always felt like, God, he should have been even greater, which isn't fair because he had one of the best arms in baseball, bad ball hitter, But I don't know did he win.
Speaker 2: A championship anywhere?
Speaker 3: I kind of played sort of in obscurity a little bit, But man, was he talented? Five hundred million? How old is Vlad Guerrero Junior? Because they gave him a fourteen year, five hundred million dollar deal, he is, uh.
Speaker 9: Twenty six years old?
Speaker 3: Okay, Look, I'm sure that they have their accountants and they do the math. But I just like, for the life of me, could never get if somebody a contract like that fourteen years, what could go wrong? Or if it's ten years, You're like, no, no, five years? Okay, yes, poem.
Speaker 10: Would you like to play the Vlad Guerrero Senior Vlad Guerrero Junior career salary game?
Speaker 11: Sure?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 9: Had this ready for years?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 9: Salary salary, salary.
Speaker 12: Salary, salary, salary, salary salary.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 10: Vlad Guerrero Senior playing fifteen seasons. His best paycheck was oh nine with the La Angels of Anaheim redond It fifteen million dollars. His career salary was one hundred and twenty five million dollars. The old man did rile well. Vlad Guerrero Junior. Well, I'll let you guys. Guys, he's made seventy five million so far, what will his career salary be?
Speaker 2: Probably five hundred and seventy five to make sure you could.
Speaker 9: Get that at seventy five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five hundred plus seventy five fires.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he is on pace to make five hundred and eighty million dollars in his career five times.
Speaker 9: What is old Manning?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, yeah, yes, Mark, pretty good, Thank you, ma, thank you.
Speaker 5: Not bad if you can get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I thought that they were going to be all in on Otani. Remember when we had Steve Phillips, the former Mets GM and he came on and he was like, Hey, Toronto's in this for Otani, and then all of a sudden, Toronto wasn't in for you know, Otani. It's like Aaron Judge with the San Francisco Giants. It's like, hey, giants got a great shot at him, and then all of a sudden they didn't have a great shot at him.
Speaker 7: Yes, Todd, if you're concerned about Vlad Junior's age, he just turned twenty six, so he's a young twenty six.
Speaker 4: Twenty six three weeks ago. Oh okay, he's on the young end of that.
Speaker 3: Now I feel better about the next fourteen years.
Speaker 9: Oh God.
Speaker 3: Since Steles became an official stat in nineteen eighty six, NCAA Tournament teams are three hundred and thirty five and one in games that they beat their opponents in field goal percentage, free throw attempts, assist, turnovers, fewer than your opponent, and steals the lone loss.
Speaker 2: Duke on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Stat of the day, stat of the day, that beast stat of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Here comes that what stat of the.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Panini America, the official Trading cards of the DP show. If you don't like Duke, you had a great Saturday because that was one of those where and this isn't a team that you know that you dislike. I mean, they're a good team to watch, their fun team to watch, but you were rooting against the brand. That brand is pretty powerful, and I think that's probably what stood out, and you're like, oh, God, Duke again. Wait, Houston's come, Wait, Houston's come. Holy, Duke's gonna lose this game. That's as I'm watching it. You're watching almost as in slow motion where I'm going.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Wait, and then all of a sudden there'd be a three, and then all of a sudden, can't get the ball in. Then all of a sudden there's a foul on flag And yes, I I'm okay with the call, because let's say it was the other way and Duke got the call. What would we say, Oh, yeah, they want Duke to win. So you can't say that the officials were calling and making the call and what they saw. Is it tough to make that call. Yes, but they did make a tough call and it went against Duke. All right, Well, take a break. Phone calls will get your best and worst of the weekend. Top of the hour, Gino Orima and then Dan Hurley in the final hour of the program. Just getting started on this Monday. Glad you're with us. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch US weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about.
Speaker 13: Everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 13: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: It is on. The rematch is on.
Speaker 3: If you're watching on Peacock, you've got a chance to see It's a promo leading up to the rematch at Lambeau. Todd Fritz the star of the original back in New Orleans during the Super Bowl, and that was front row, back row. Now I think we're switching it up. It's Fritzy and Paulie versus Seaton and Marvin Todd clearly was the best pickleball player, followed by Seton and then Marvin Paulie. But Marv, look, you played right handed, which I didn't understand since you're left handed. But maybe you were doing that. Maybe you're trying to psych out your opponent. I don't know what your game plan was, but it didn't work. It's like my game Yeah, is that what it was?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Congratulations. Alex Ovechkin had a chance to break the record the previous game, but he knew it was going to be with an empty net and he didn't want to do that. He said, no, I want to do it with a goalie in the crease. Now that's a lot of confidence because we're running out of games here at the end of the regular season. You got Gretzky there in the stands, who wants to get back to his life where it's like, uh, is he good?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: I'll come back again. And Wayne handled it beautifully, is like, would you see a great ambassador to the game and Ovechkin. I have a hat from March of nineteen ninety four that says eight oh two. That's when Wayne broke the all time goal record eight oh two, and of course he tacked on a few more.
Speaker 2: But I have a hat that I.
Speaker 3: Received in Toronto when I went to Gretzky's restaurant there, and I thought, I'll keep the hat and nobody's ever going to break this.
Speaker 2: Now all of a sudden, I need a new hat.
Speaker 3: Alex Ovechkin, but to do what he's done for as long as he's done it. We've seen Lebron break the all time scoring record and then here's Ovechkin with the all time goals scoring record. Are there any other records in any other sports that are going to be broken? Tiger's not going to catch Jack Nicholas due to health. Is there any other sport where you go there's a record hanging in the balance here, or is somebody on the verge of breaking an all time record over the next couple of years. Eight seven seven three DP show email address d P D pete is DP at Danpatrick dot com.
Speaker 2: That's it, that's the one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, Pully, I was watching the postgame interviews and Gretzky's in the locker room and Ovechkin's got his shirt off, and they're standing there, and.
Speaker 9: I couldn't tell who was older.
Speaker 10: Like if you just put up a shot of those two, I think Ovechkin's thirty nine and Gretzky's sixty four, but they look there about the same age.
Speaker 3: Well, well, Wayne has a little uh shade on his hair that helps him, and Ovechkin looks like he's older than he's thirty nine. One of them looks like they've done a lot of hard living. Yes, that's true, and it's not wayne third time in CAA tournament history that both semi final winners overcame a halftime deficit to win in the first time since nineteen ninety two with Duke and Michigan. Uh So, we have our poll question and we'll get a phone call. Well, Paul, and Iowa leads us off. Good morning, Paul. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 1: Hey Dan, Well, I have.
Speaker 11: Two best of the weekend. Just as a college basketball fan, you know, America wins when Duke loses, as a Big Twelve fan myself. It was great to see Houston make that comeback represent the Big Twelve in the championship. It's gonna be a great game tonight. My other best of the weekend here in Iowa, Hawkeyes and Cyclones both know that the Corn leans to the West because Nebraska sucks. Nebraska won the Crown this weekend before they've ever won an NCAA tournament game.
Speaker 2: Congrass Yay, Nebraska won the Crown.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't watch the Crown, but it's not because I'm an elitist. I text Marvin last night and I said, hey, turn on ESPNU. It was the Orlando Magic G League team against the Celtic G Lead team, and I thought, well, Marvin's the only guy who's going to appreciate that I'm watching the G League and I don't know if you appreciated it, but I was enjoying it last night.
Speaker 16: I live a full life like you do. So I was like, Oh, I'm look at Mac mcclunk. He was going off. I can also see why he's not in the NBA.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he can shoot. I know he can get to the hoop at any point, but he doesn't. He's not a dunker. He's not an in game dunker. But he might have had forty last time. I don't even know if that game was live, Marvin, I'm gonna say it was Okay.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. I was like, oh, what's this? Oh?
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden I saw Mac McClung. And then the Main Celtics. They have a kid out of Alabama, JD. Davidson, who is the league MVP. And I'm thinking, all right, I'm gonna watch this for a little while.
Speaker 16: I was watching too, and my wife goes, what do you watch Celtics met Maine. I was like, it's the Main Celtics. Yeah, it's the G League playoffs. It just means more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then it was the Oceola Magic. Of course, all right, I'm gonna stay with us for a little while. Seawan and Oregon. Hi, Sean, WIT's on your mind today?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 17: I got the best and worst? Dan, Thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 18: The best I think was that between that Houston and uh well, the Houston game there with Duke. You know, they they were nine for twenty nine the first half that shooting in that game and they still won the game, and they were they won that game with that ship or sheer great determination. And then you know that the end of that game, you know, Duke went over like ten minutes. They only scored like two points in that game.
Speaker 2: Brother, Oh, I know, thank you Sean for recapping that.
Speaker 11: We watched.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait tell me more. Wait what happened? Sheer determination? It's like I'm watching the golf. Brian Harmon won the Valero Open and he was gritty and gutty, like they talked about because he's not a big guy. He doesn't hit it far, but he won it on grit, you know, I mean we were he looked like he had a boatload of talent, but he was gritty. He was gritty out there and gutty. Uh Tim in Ohio? Hi Tim, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 2: Hey dad?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 19: The quick end of the day. If if you call Goldie House golds w h A, he would be the all timel in goal.
Speaker 2: He would have.
Speaker 19: Got it your n or nals, you would have each the nine fourteen.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's Ovechkin next season. But thank you, Tim. We don't include the USFL stance. We finally included the ABA stats, didn't we combine those NBA ABA stats.
Speaker 4: Marvin, No, I don't think we did.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought with doctor J.
Speaker 4: Doctor J would be like the third lead score if you combine.
Speaker 3: I thought that they combined scoring. For some reason. I thought that, yeah, Pullie.
Speaker 10: I have of right now. They've discussed it, but they do not honor or recognize the NBA ABA stats. They've discussed it, but I don't see any progress on them.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll get to work on that. I'll see if I can talk to some people.
Speaker 9: They put them on their website.
Speaker 15: The NBA.
Speaker 10: They put ABA stats on the website, but it's still separate and not inclusionary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you had, well, we included the AFL with the NFL.
Speaker 2: Didn't we AFL stants NFL stats.
Speaker 4: I would think we would maybe post merger, h because.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Well, yeah, it'd have to be post merger because the NFL wasn't recognized in the AFL.
Speaker 16: I got to see how many points doctor J would have because he scored a ton in the ABA, so let me double check.
Speaker 3: I thought that they put his stats because he wasn't in the NBA, you know, for a long period of time, where for some reason I thought that he had like twenty nine thousand or something when you combine him. Yes, Tun, I'm seeing the.
Speaker 7: NFL incorporated stats from the AFL into its official record after the league's merged in nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: The ok the thing I don't understand about the NFL. The NFL is as buttoned up documented as any other sport. They keep stats of everything. You have NFL films that documented all of this. Why can't they go back and tell me the exact total for sacks? Because it's like block shots with the NBA. I mean, we think it's a big deal. If you blocked three shots in a game, that would be a quarter for Wills and Bill Russell. It's I just don't understand with some of these stats that you can go back and look. I'm guessing that somebody said, oh, somebody's blocking a shot. We should keep track of that.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 3: How many block shots does Wilt have? How many does Bill Russell have? There were games where and this is what I'm told, I didn't see it that you would have Will to have twenty five block shots in a game going against plumbers and electricians. Of course, yes, Pauline.
Speaker 10: NFL Network and NFL films and Pro Football Focus have all done this with sacks especially, and they did say that Deacon Jones would have had three different seasons with twenty two plus stacks. Yes, but it's not officially recognized.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Why we celebrate sacks as much as any other stat in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Right, we talk about edge rushers, how many sacks?
Speaker 3: It just seems like you have the means to be able to go back and total these up and block shots. I mean, I just I think people would be interested and alarmed at how many shots that these guys blocked. That Bill Russell blocked and Wilt.
Speaker 2: Be amazing.
Speaker 3: All right, Uh, Chico in Baltimore, Hey Chico, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 18: How you doing?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 11: How you've been a shout out to the you Caught hockey brand? That was one hack of a women's basketball So hey, when is the location? When are they going to go to New Orleans?
Speaker 16: I don't they were supposed to be there in twenty twenty, but due to the pandemic, why are they said to go to New Orleans as used to?
Speaker 3: All Right, I'll see if I can get one of my best people on that. I'm guessing you're talking about the women going to New Orleans Chico?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I haven't followed where the final four destinations are. San Antonio was always fun going there for a Final four. That was the infamous Kevin Costner party with all the coaches. He'd have all the coaches there and I remember being invited to the party and he had these two tone saddle shoes on. I mean, Costner looked like a movie star, but he was just a kid in Christmas talking to these coaches. He love talking college basketball with these guys. And that's where there was a woman who was hitting on me at this party, and Costner saw it and he said, hey, I'm and I'm paraphrasing. Basically, he was going to take one for the team. So he because I said, I have to go, and then and then he goes, the girl's hitting on you. I said yeah, he goes, oh, I got it, and so I ended up leaving. And who knows what happened at the Final four. It stays of the Final Four. I just know Costner basically said, hey, I'll take over.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, Yeah.
Speaker 9: I had a lot of guys do that for me when I was single.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I didn't really ask for it. I just remember this.
Speaker 3: This is a story I can tell for a long time that Costner was going to let me go and he would go chatter up a little bit there.
Speaker 2: So thank you Kevin. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Uh Ethan in Los Angeles, Hi Ethan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 17: With Coron guys, I got two baths of the weekend. I got the drive chip and putting contest for these kids out in Augusta National That that was pretty cool to see these kids loss the motion and the second best of the Masters are starting this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's fun. I love seeing the kids out there. You get a chance to be on that golf course, on those greens. It's a special moment for them. But yeah, I don't know what the weather. Can we check the weather for Augusta this week for the Masters tradition unlike any other. Speaking of which, Dan and Iowa joining us, Hi, Dan, what's on your mind?
Speaker 15: Good morning?
Speaker 20: I have a really good Jim Nance story for you, much better than the one last week about two hour wait at that restaurant in Indiana. I was a runner at the regional in Des Moines, the first regional that des Moines ever had. It was like six years ago. You guys know what a runner is, but for your audience, that's like the lowest rung on a production.
Speaker 2: I mean just emptied.
Speaker 8: Waste baskets and what have you.
Speaker 20: So I was in the green room on Thursday and Jim Nants and his stake manager Amen and said Hi, what have you? And I said, Hey, could I get a picture with you? And he said yeah, I'd love to, but he said I need to unpack some stuff.
Speaker 8: Can we do it later?
Speaker 20: I said, yeah, it's not a problem. So about an hour later I had a call from my crew manager and she said, I understand you asked talent for a picture.
Speaker 3: I see, yeah, yeah, yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 20: I did not know that. And I said yeah. She says, no, you do not ask talent for a picture. That if they come in the green room when you're in there, you leave. Okay, not a problem. Well, the stage manager threw me under the bus, obviously. So at the crew breakfast on Saturday morning, Jim and his entourage were sitting at a table behind the rest of us peons and I just kind of lean back and I said, hey, I guess I owe you an apology. He says, for what I said, I did not know. I wasn't supposed to ask you for a picture. He said, that's crazy. I'll be glad to take a pic. Come on, stand up. I said, no, no, no, no, no, it's fine. He said, no, really, come on, stand up. Let's say yet's get a picture. So I did, and we chatted a little bit, and he said, do you have anybody that would like to come to the game today? And I think it was North Carolina and Kansas, I don't remember exactly, but that regional was floated. And I said, well, yeah, my son's in town and he's a high school basketball coach. He loved to come, he said. He reaches into his jacket pocket and brings out two tickets. He said, here's two tickets center court roll five. He said, tell him Jim nance is glad to help him out.
Speaker 3: That's awesome, Thank you. Dan still not supposed to get a picture with talent.
Speaker 5: And still doesn't get the original point of the conversation. It's how about don't bother those people should have said, don't go up to them and apologize after for something that before because they probably have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: And then Dan leaning back to say, I guess I owe you an apology is basically a cry for hey, can you give me a pick?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 3: Dan probably got fired after that, but I'm glad he hicks the Yeah you got the tickets.
Speaker 2: That's great, Thank you, thank you. Jim just happen to have them right in his podcast there. You know what, I just happened to have these two right here for you and your son. Let's take a break. We got our play of the day up next.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 13: Wapp Oh my god, no play of the.
Speaker 17: Day, witter lips, I got it.
Speaker 3: Play This is the play of the day.
Speaker 2: Check this out right side to Wilson shattered up.
Speaker 1: Oh Thatston has any stars?
Speaker 14: He stares Alex so bad Stead star Saint ninety five. There's a new gold storing xampion and his name he is Alex Sander.
Speaker 5: Oh Bedstead.
Speaker 2: That's to see.
Speaker 3: Of the Caps radio network. Ovechkin has forty two goals this season, second most in NHL. History by a player thirty nine or older. Gordi Howe had forty four back in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 2: That's your play of the day.
Speaker 3: Play of the Day brought to you by Rapid Radios, the official walkie talkie of the DP show Push to Talk nationwide, LTE Network, Nose subscriptions ever. Business owners, stay connected with your employees anywhere. Visit Rapid Radios dot com up to sixty percent off and free shipping. The milestone is not just about how great Ovechkin is, it's a reminder of how great Wayne Gretzky was. His one nine hundred and sixty three assists are one thousand more than the next closest player. Now that's a record that'll never be touched. Gretzky is still the NHL's all time points leader by over nine hundred points. That will never be beaten. So if you only count the assist, Gretzky would still be the league leader in scoring. And it's not a knock on Ovechkin. It's just a reminder of how great Wayne Gretzky was, that he redefined offense in the NHL. There have been a lot of great scorers and a lot of great passers. In hockey, we focus on goal scorers, not those who have assists. But the fact that Gretzky, oh, by the way, was doing that. Imagine if he was just a goal scorer, what wod you have? Thirteen thirteen hundred something crazy if he just focused on that, if he was selfish. Now I'm not saying Novechkin is, but he's known as a goal scorer, Brett Hall known as a goal scorer, Mike Bossi goal scorers, Lemieux goalscorer. But here's Gretzky. And I don't know if this is fair, and I've said this before. Be like John Stockton if he was the Alzheime assist guy in the Alzhime's scorer in the NBA, and Gretzky and John Stockton are probably no. Gretzky's smaller than John Stockton. But just to give you an idea of what he was doing and how he was doing it, yeah, pulling.
Speaker 10: You know, if you look at Magic Johnson his first few years, he was averaging like eighteen and eleven when he got there, and then midway through his career when Kareem left the Lakers, he had to bump up his scoring average. Magic Johnson had a season where he had twenty four points per game and twelve and a half assists, and he was amongst the league leaders in both obviously assists.
Speaker 9: But it's almost like Magic could have scored more.
Speaker 10: Oh sure, and I think that's maybe the best comp with Gretzky.
Speaker 3: Well, he could have, but it wasn't best for his team for him to score more or he didn't have to. And Wayne played on great, great teams and took advantage of those great teammates.
Speaker 2: Eric and Pennsylvania. Hi, Eric, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning guys. I appreciate you taking my call. Yeah, the one comment I had regarding you've brought up the NFL and Brady or Aigman made a comment this season about one thousand yards rushing and that we shouldn't really make that much of a deal about that anymore. And so games played, especially in the NFL, I think are really important. I don't know how much the NHL has increased their game count over the years, or interestingly it speaks to longevity, But how many games did it take Ovechkin versus Gretzky.
Speaker 2: They did it in the exact number of games.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, and that's impressive, but the NFL, you go back to that comment and rushing, I think that that those statistics are still in a little bit.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 3: Vechkin eighty seven games, the same number of games that it took Gretzky to achieve his career total, which is crazy coincidental, Michael and Ohio. Hi Mike, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: ADP?
Speaker 21: Thanks for the call. I wanted to up a play in the Red Sox game less I know so I'm in a baseball and I wanted to see if you guys had in any interest in comparing that and contrasting that to the NFL. So Christian Campbell jumped and caught like a little blooper, landed on the infield Grass, reached into his glove with his right hand to then fired around the infield and he dropped it really quickly. The umpire signaled out in motion that he dropped it on the transfer, and Carl Rabbits on the call quickly said the same thing.
Speaker 19: And it just made me.
Speaker 21: Wonder why in baseball are we so easy to use common sense on this catch and bobble, and in the NFL we have such a hard time defining this.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm ready for a deep dive on that today. There's a lot of other things to talk about, and I don't think it happens that often in baseball like football, you know, it's seventeen games like they're all important and baseball and you got one hundred and sixty two.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See.
Speaker 5: I think there's a pretty obvious solution here though, which I think the caller was suggesting. Football, especially wide receivers, are people who catch the ball need to start using mits on both hands once the ball enters what looks like a normal everyday you know glove and baseball emit some.
Speaker 2: Sort then okay, uh Norman in Mississippi, Hi.
Speaker 15: Norman, Hello, Dan, just come in on seth Greenberg saying UNLV was the greatest college basketball team you ever saw. He never saw the seventy five Indiana Hoosers, not the seventy six to win in undefeated. But the seventy five UNLV did destroy Duke in the championship game. But in the tournament they beat ball State by two points, and ball State couldn't hit a free throw the last minute when they was a head. Also a stat of the day, Rick Mount you mentioned was the first high school basketball player the Belle mccover of Sports illustrat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Lebanon, Indiana, I think for Rick Mount, thank you. Norman UNLV was dominating, but you gotta win. They won one national title, they lost the other one. They dominated Duke in the title game and then ended up losing the semifinals to Duke the following year. But that was a wonderful team to watch, and it started with the defense. They were the running ReBs. After they played defense, that was to me their magic. Sauce gino Oriemo just won a national title. He'll join us coming up in ten minutes. Dan Hurley, the men's basketball coach at Yukon, will join us in the final hour.
Speaker 2: One hour in the books, two more to go.