Speaker 1: George.
Speaker 2: I'm a homegirl that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 3: You don't know if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren came in.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, it's Lauren Rosa and this is the latest with Lauren Rosa. This is your daily dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 3: Now we do the behind the scenes of the grind. Check in.
Speaker 2: Grind and I just left a private, very intimate listening party for the new Clips Pushing T and Malice album, Let God sort Of Out. The album is coming on July eleven, five, so of this year, and I gotta say of this year because I know, you know, the Clips fans have been waiting for a while for the album, but it is coming. It is a thing, and man, when I tell y'all it is fire, I'm like, I left there so inspire. They had this private listening event at at the Rock Nation offices here in New York, and they invited they invited me and me and Brandon, one of y'all know Brandon used to be on the podcast sometimes. But me and Brandon went and uh, like, when I tell y'all, I am so inspired. I feel like this last three weeks, two to three weeks, Charlotmagne has been yelling at me so much just about like the quality of my work and making sure I stay up with things and you know, just like digging deeper and just not slipping. To be honest with you, like there's a lot happening at once, a lot coming at me at once, and things are moving, things are going great. But you know, it's good to have like people on you like even be He's always like checking in, like are you good? You know what I mean, sending me things and you know, suggesting things and you know they're they're really just it's very much mentor ish vibes. Even so, it's like Big Bro and tonight when I went to the clips listening event, I was like, I get it. Like the longevity of their career and not even just the longevity of their career, but just the way that they are about their talent. It is so inspiring. So if I'm checking in right now, I'm feeling inspired. I'm feeling you know, intentional. I'm going to do a full breakdown on the breakfast Club of the event.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even like an event.
Speaker 2: It was really like a private like listening, like there were other people there, of course, but it wasn't like a full, big, major event. They're going to do an official release party, but this was just like a private listening prior too. So I'll be doing a full breakdown in a breakfast club of like what we experienced and you know, the amazing things that we heard and what I can reveal we will talk about. But you know, if I'm doing a check in right now me recording this podcast, I have to leave that event inspired and intentional?
Speaker 3: Are the words? Okay, leave it at that. No, you girl, love to take y'all a court. Love to take y'all a court.
Speaker 2: But getting on into the latest, uh, you know there is always a lot going on in court with Diddy. Uh, you know, the child of Sean Colmbs. Can y'all believe that we have been reporting on.
Speaker 3: This for six weeks now we.
Speaker 2: Are two weeks away, just about two weeks away from finding out the fate of one of the biggest entertainers in the world, one of the biggest hip hop names in the world, one of the biggest you know, music producers in the world. I would have never I think about this every day when I'm in court and I see Diddy sitting in court, I would have never in a million years, growing up as someone who was you know, inspired by the lifestyle that he bring presented in the inspiration he presented in the you know, the hustle and the you know, just the career and the persona of of Sean Holmes and what that was and what that was to the Coulture, I would have never thought that I would be where I am today reporting on him being incarcerated and looking at like literally fighting for his life at this point in court. I never thought that I thought about that today, like, man, like this is wild.
Speaker 3: And I am like, you know, I'm my family.
Speaker 2: I don't know him personally, and I feel like that I can't imagine how he feels. I can't imagine how his kids feel because they're in the court room every day as well.
Speaker 3: It's just insane. But yes, we are, you know, about two weeks away.
Speaker 2: From you know, finding out the fate of Sean Holmes, and people ask me all the time, Like even when I was out at the CLIPS event today, you know, I had you know a few people come up to me and just you know, talk to me about the reporting and just being in the court because a lot of people, you know, especially people I'm meeting, they either know him personally because they've been in the industry as DJs or hosts or you know, whatever they do for a long time, or they've either interacted with him because business, or you know, they are fans of him as well, or you know, we're fans of the movement. And people are just so invested because he's been such a narrator of our lives and of our culture for so long, and so many people were coming up to me and asking me, you know what I thought was going to happen, and you know what they can look out for, and you know how like what most people want to know just what the feeling is in court, whether you're in the overflow room, whether you're in the main courtroom.
Speaker 3: People want to know, like, yo, what is it like?
Speaker 2: Like, Like what is that like? What is it like seeing? Like you know, all all of the things. And today I realized, I'm like, man, this is going to be talked about for decades to come because of things like that, like people just being so invested because Diddy, Sean Colmbe's pub daddy whatever, you know him as was literally one of the most integral parts of hip hop, of music, of entertainment, of motivation, of inspiration, of lifestyle, of marketing in the last like twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 2: Like it's crazy, It is so crazy to see. But you know, I keep it honest when people ask me, I keep it honest. And what I've been saying for a while is that, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's one to watch.
Speaker 2: You know, I have my own opinions about what I think will happen, and we'll talk more about that as the prosecution the government closes their arguments, which is set to happen by Friday of this week. They've already started, you know, gathering and doing the things that they're doing with their summary witnesses this week.
Speaker 3: And you know, today was.
Speaker 2: Interested day in court because they played freak off videos for the jewelry, which I'm not even gonna lie to y'all when I say that government has been moving smart. They've people, it's like they've been like it's like they're silent killers. To be honest with y'all, Like, I think, you know, the way that this was approached in the beginning with you know, the SWAT season a home and doing the searches by landing by sea and all those things.
Speaker 3: It felt so right there in your face. And then when you get.
Speaker 2: In court you realize, well, maybe it's not right there in your face, but the government is showing you these things were there, these you know, these these elements were there, even if it was subtle, right, But by them showing these freak off tapes at the end, because already told y'all, I felt like Jane Doe as their last like major most recent girlfriend witness, like homegirl is all over the place, right.
Speaker 3: I didn't say she doesn't.
Speaker 2: Speak to certain things that the government is trying to prove, but I just feel like the credibility of her it wasn't the best taste to end off on in my opinion, like if I'm just giving my opinion, right, But then they follow up with playing these freak off tapes, And when they played them in court, it had already been decided from the first first day, first week of official court that anything that was that you know, sexual and content and you know the meaning to any parties involved, or just anything like that, because you know, they want to make sure these women can't be blackmailed. Or things on circulate or things on league, and you know, it's just a very it's very sensitive content. They had already said we were not going to play them in the courtroom like out loud, and they were like, we're going to make sure that everyone has on headphones.
Speaker 3: Who's able to listen to them.
Speaker 2: So the jewelry was able to listen to them, not even the gallery of attorneys or anything like that. And from what I was told, you know, the drawors themselves, I mean, they have to watch it. It's a part of their job at this point. But you know, there's been reports of some drawers giggling. There's been reports of some drawers, you know, being really into it. I was told by a friend that was in the main courtroom today that the attorneys, you know, the defense attorneys, Sean Comb's attorneys did.
Speaker 3: These attorneys were.
Speaker 2: Annoyed, like they were so mad that those videos are being played at this point in the case. They were visibly making facial expressions and you know, just things of that nature. And I mean, I get it on their side, I get what they're annoyed, because you got to think about it. You hear all these things about women saying I didn't want to do it.
Speaker 3: Allegedly, I was made to do it.
Speaker 2: Allegedly, money caused me to do it, allegedly, you know, the fear of what he might do to me caused me to.
Speaker 3: Do it allegedly.
Speaker 2: Right, And then if you but you haven't seen it, you've just heard about it, and you've seen the the you know, the allege you know bruises from the violence, and you've seen text messages about the alleged blackmailing and all of these things. And then one of the cherries on top is that you see video of what the physical act was.
Speaker 3: Because I don't think.
Speaker 2: For a lot of us that like I think for me, it's different, right, Like being in the courtroom is very different because I've experienced so much entertainment culture wise before coming into the courtroom. A lot of the you know, the people I'm meeting and the journalists I'm meeting, this is their first time interacting with you know, a lot of the people that are being mentioned and brought on the stand.
Speaker 3: For me, it's a bit different because.
Speaker 2: Living in la and working in entertainment and being a person that's like out and about. I ain't never seen nothing crazy, but I've been to, you know, the parties I've experienced and been around certain things and seen certain things. So don't and again I don't know people personally, but to have seen that and have seen it multiple different times, and you know, over the eight years that I was in.
Speaker 3: LA and then to not know the gravity of it, like.
Speaker 2: Even if you heard rumors about certain things, I'm sitting in the court every day like I cannot believe that this is real. So to hear all of these stories, right, and then all of the allegations that surround the stories, and and you're building your thought process and your you know, all of these things around that. And then within the final few days that the government is speaking to you, they show you what literally the visual of Okay, now you've you've heard all of what the you know, the force allegedly and the here's why, right, but here's the what, here's exactly what was made to go down, and you see it. I'm like, oh baby, ate that two shade, well played? Well played.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Also, we had talked a lot about during number six and whether that dismissal was going to happen or not.
Speaker 3: I've talked about it on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: I mentioned it briefly here, but you know a little background Durr six had, you know, some issues.
Speaker 3: The judge really didn't.
Speaker 2: Like the fact that Jurer number six had mentioned that he lived one place and then mentioned that he leaved another. And you know, there's like a whole jurisdiction thing of like you know, living in New York because it's a southern district of New York.
Speaker 3: You know, a case and just different.
Speaker 2: Things, right, But more importantly, because the judge didn't even mention the jurisdiction thing, the judge Moresa was focused a lot on this draw, said one thing and then said another.
Speaker 3: We want to know if this draw.
Speaker 2: Is inconsistent, not telling the truth and not able to take direction, because that matters. The judge today decided to dismiss that during now that dur was really important to Diddy and team because again, like I mentioned on the Breakfast Club, this is a black dur who is from you know, allegedly from the Bronx, grew up on nineties hip hop.
Speaker 3: Diddy's team is alleging it's not really diverse.
Speaker 2: Up in here, y'all, Like we need this drawer, right, the judge pointed out today though, and he said, listen, you know, some of Diddy's attorneys themselves have commended how diverse.
Speaker 3: This jury is, so we're not about to do that. But no, that duror is not staying on.
Speaker 2: I listened to Sonny from the view just give some remarks on Dura number six been dismissed. And I've seen Sonny in court a couple of times.
Speaker 4: A lot.
Speaker 2: Actually, i've seen her in court a lot, and I thought her take was interesting.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: The game changer that just happened is that they replaced one of the jurors an alternate.
Speaker 3: Because he had a shady address. History is what it is.
Speaker 4: You know, this is a federal case, and you really it's in the Southern District of New York, so you have to live in New York. This guy was he said he lived in the Bronx, and we prosecution found out, and the government found out, and I think the defense also found out he was actually living in New Jersey. So this is that disqualifying and.
Speaker 3: So be a mis trial too or no, it's not.
Speaker 4: A mistrial basis, I don't think. But the defense certainly tried to keep him. He was a black guy from the Bronx. I've been watching him. He is not buying what the prosecution is selling, really, and so the defense really wanted to keep him right he was he was a fan of nineties hip hop.
Speaker 3: You know, if that's the reason they get thrown off exactly the same.
Speaker 4: But it's it's it's a significant loss, I think to the defense in terms of the diversity of the jury. There's still eight men and for juror for women, but now he was replaced by an older white man in his late fifties who is an architect from Westchester.
Speaker 2: Now, the reason why I thought this was interesting because I'm like, you know, at the end of the day, there are other black jurors. It might not be full of black jewors, but there are other black jurors. But I thought that it was interesting because in court, Diddy himself physically waved his hand when the judge said, are you willing to wave your right to appeal if.
Speaker 3: This duror is kept right.
Speaker 2: I think at this point Diddy's team is fighting for every inch in straw that they have to make sure that this goes down the way it needs to go down. They're trying for ms chials every minute they get they want every juror that might at any point have any sympathy or empathy for Diddy at all. So her take was very interesting because I didn't look at Durer number six being dismissed as such a deal breaker. To be honest with you guys, I feel like what will really make or break this case will be the way that Diddy's team presents their defense, because I do think the government has done a really good job at presenting their case, if even on on a smaller level. When I say a smaller level, I mean even if it's not him spending the rest of his life behind bars. They've shown elements of the crimes that they are alleging, and I don't think that it's a race thing. I get where they're coming from, of course, and I understand that, you know, a black Durer from the Bronx who listens to nineties hip hop is gonna he's going to have a lot more influence over that duror, right, But I think bigger picture here, whether white, black, nineties hip hop or not, if they're looking at the facts, so what they should be, I think that should be the focus. But I get it though, because I think I would hate to be a durer on this case as well, because, or any case, how do you just stay focused on the facts. If you are a person who grew up on Sean Colmb's and in the height of his heyday in New York, in those things like it, it's very hard not to let personal bias or personal implications come into this. I've also been feeling like that from the beginning as well. It's like, how do you sell social media? How do you not talk to anybody about this? How do you not let personal things come into this? I don't know the answer to that, but we will see. But from the feeling that I've been gathering just from being in the courtroom and watching the jurors and those you know, opening days that they did all the jury selection, I'm like, some of these people on this jury don't even know who Sean Combs is for real, for real, Like they know him a bit. They might know him, you know what I mean, like in pasting or maybe heard the name, but there were several people who weren't even truly familiar in a way that was influential, right, Like his celebrity is not influential on them. So you got to worry about winning over those because it's not like the majority of the jury is black.
Speaker 3: And I get it. You want to keep what you can get, take what you can get is.
Speaker 2: A model of the game when you're fighting for your life. I totally understand, But I just think that Diddy's team has so much bigger things to worry about when it comes to this jury and making sure that they are thinking the way that they need them the theme.
Speaker 3: Now, Judge Mathist spoke to TMZ.
Speaker 2: He actually said something pretty interesting because at first, you know, and I mentioned to you guys that didiot said that he was down to appeal his ability to I'm sorry, he was on the wave his ability to appeal any decision that was made in court if this duror was dismissed. Now the juror, I mean was not dismissed. Now the durer was dismissed. So you know, that whole conversation goes out the window. So Judge Matthis said this about what he thinks an appeal could look like.
Speaker 1: I think that certainly there could have been another residence that he was staying with his girlfriend, right, so he's going back and forth.
Speaker 3: That's frequent.
Speaker 1: And so in that sense, he could still be living within the jurisdiction of the jury pool. But additionally, I think the fact that they did not give a full hearing to the defense to be able to bring in AffA Davis, to be able to bring in utility bills, things of that nature that would prove that he's a resident of the Bronx, I think that's what should have occurred before removing him. And in fact, I think they should make emotion now to revisit it.
Speaker 3: You think that this is a good grounds for appeal.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it would be because you haven't allowed a proper opportunity to prove residency. And on the other juror getting this text message, Let's be real, those folks on the jury, they tell someone that loved one whomever that they're on the jury, and then the word gets out.
Speaker 3: And I'm not gonna lie to y'all.
Speaker 2: I was literally telling someone today at the clips the private listening that we went to. I said, because someone asked me like, do you think Diddy is just going to walk free?
Speaker 3: I was like, to be honest with you, I do not.
Speaker 2: I am not an attorney, but just from what I've been watching and listening to based on the elements of the crime that the government has to prove.
Speaker 3: I do not think he is going to walk free.
Speaker 2: However, if he does, it'll be on technicalities or appeals of things that are very like you wouldn't even think about them, something like this, like what Judge matth Is is saying, right, because if you can prove all of that in a post conversation that like, hey, based on the facts, because everything in court, and that's why people don't think about it's like everything in court is based on fact, right, So based on facts. If I can prove that my residence is where I told you ILL was in the beginning, and I was dismissed for no reason, and Diddy's team is able to make the point that they feel like the jury was a bit less diverse and more prejudice because of that dismissal, he.
Speaker 3: Got something there.
Speaker 2: I really think that's going to be hard for him to do that, though, because his lawyers have come out of their mouth and talked about how diverse the jury was and how grateful they were for that. But if he can do it, he got it, and I'm hey, at your fighting for your life, You're you're doing whatever by any means necessary, by any means necessary. Now, I like to stay very optimistic until the very end of things, and I've been trying.
Speaker 3: To do that within this case.
Speaker 2: But and maybe also to One of the things I was thinking about today as well, is like, as the government raps their case, one of the things we got to think about is we've really only heard from the government. Even though Diddy's team has got up and cross examined and all of that, we haven't seen them lay out their case. When I tell y'all, they got to lay out their case. The show they got to put on gotta be better than Beyonce on the run of Renaissance. I'm trying to tell y'all it is light's camera action for them because the y'all listen, let me know how y'all are feeling. I want to know if you guys agree with Sonny.
Speaker 3: I want to take it to the streets. Take it to the tweets, right.
Speaker 2: You call the tweets outside, we outside, we outside outside. If you guys agree with Sonny that your number six. This black juror being dismissed is a huge loss for Diddy's team, but also a game changer because of the fact that he can do the appeal.
Speaker 3: Let me know.
Speaker 2: If you feel like it's incremental, it's nothing to focus on. Let me know, tweet me, instagram all of the things I want to know, because as we go throughout this next week, literally this week, because Diddy's team wrote a letter and said they are going to request a mistrial if that happens, So we're going to see that happen. I don't believe that he'll be granted a mistrial whatsoever. I do think that he'll be able to be heard on appeal because of this matter, just again because of like the because of checks and balances, right, because of the logistics, because of the way things go. I think he can be heard on appeal because of this. But I don't see a mistrial happening because of this.
Speaker 3: But you know they gonna go for it. So let me know what y'all think.
Speaker 2: Y'all grew with Judge mathis is this worth Diddy's team appealing and winning an appeal on something as small as this. Y'all gotta remember people like a lot of not comparing it to completely separate. But Bill Cosby, Bill Cosby came home on the technicality, not because he was proved not guilty. He came home because somebody didn't cross their tee and dot their I.
Speaker 3: I'm Laura de Rosa and at the end of the day, there is a.
Speaker 2: Lot to talk about and y'all know I want to hear from y'all. Today's episode is definitely one of the ones where I want y'all to chime on in tweet me at Laura rosa Instagram. You know y'all be posting y'all insert stories lowriters.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: At Laura Rosa as well. At the end of the day, there's always a lot to talk about it. Y'all could be anywhere but anybody talking about it, but y'all choose to.
Speaker 3: Be right here with me.
Speaker 2: And I appreciate y'all for I will see you guys in my next episode.