Speaker 1: Hello and welcome back. It's time for another installment of Teen Beat. I am your host, former guest on Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher, Danielle Fishel. and I'm the shortest podcast host on the active iHeart roster. Truth is, I've done absolutely no research to confirm that title, but I dare anyone to challenge me. I'm looking at you, Sophia Bush. 5'4. Either way, I continue to talk to interesting people who've done interesting things, knowing that learning about their histories can only help us understand who they are today. I look at it this way. I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. And this week, we are talking to a true superstar, one of the greatest college quarterbacks of all time. Don't believe me? Listen to just some of his accomplishments. Heisman Trophy winner, Rose Bowl MVP, Orange Bowl MVP, back-to-back AP National Champion, one of them in a perfect season, a BCS National Champion, two-time first-team All-American, two-time Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year, and 2005 Sportsman of the Year. He has been inducted into the USC Hall of Fame, the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame, the College Football Hall of Fame, and he once went on a date with Rihanna. I am now almost out of time for his intro, so I'm going to speed through the rest. There's a podcast called Throwbacks, Fox Sports Analyst, and can currently be seen on Fox's newest reality hit, Nation's Dumbest. He is my most athletic guest yet. Sorry, Kat Dennings. So please welcome to the show, Matt Leinart. Matt, thank you so much for stopping by to chat with me. I grew up in a diehard USC football home.
Speaker 2: So I think- Did you really?
Speaker 1: Yes, I really did. I think that me being Topanga will have finally paid off for my father.
Speaker 3: Like I think- I mean, not to sound weird, but you being Topanga, I was a big fan because I loved that show growing up.
Speaker 2: Oh, really?
Speaker 1: Well, I will get to that a little later. I want to start in kind of maybe a weird place, but maybe not. I want to talk about the eye condition that you had as a kid. How do I say it? Is it strabismus?
Speaker 2: Strabismus, yeah. Strabismus.
Speaker 1: Strabismus. It's commonly known as crossed eyes. And I think when people see a wildly gifted athlete like yourself, they assume you were a perfect physical specimen since birth, that you were just born athletically superior. But I find it so inspiring that that actually wasn't quite the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I was born with strabismus.
Speaker 3: And Um, I had my first eye surgery when I was about a year and a half years old.
Speaker 2: Um, obviously I don't remember that.
Speaker 3: And then throughout my whole, you know, elementary school grade school, I had to wear these big old bifocal glasses. And the minute I would take my glasses off, my eye would turn in now only one eye. My right eye was always fine. It was just my left eye. Um, and then I had my second surgery. the summer before high school. So I was about four, I was 14 or 15 years old and that corrected the whole issue. So two surgeries, didn't have to wear glasses going into high school, et cetera. On top of that, I always kind of joke, but I was also enormously heavy.
Speaker 2: I was huge. I, yeah, I was like, I was super.
Speaker 3: Fat in like all of middle school from like fourth grade to like probably like sixth grade. And then I just shot up cause I'm six, five and I don't know where I got my height from, but I just, I just grew. So I was, I was super fat and cross-eyed. And honestly, the only thing that really got me through it, like my outlet was sports. Like I was always, I was always good in sports. I was a good athlete, even though I was big. Um, but yeah, it was, it was quite, it was quite the unique childhood in that regard. And it's so great, you know, because I actually just got, um, a DM on my Instagram the other day, from a mom whose kid is going through the same thing who has strabismus. So it's, it's, it's really cool for me because like, I'm so grateful for my mom. She saw it right away. She's like, we're going to fix it, et cetera, et cetera. That people have kind of heard that story with me because obviously I went on and got to play in the football, got to play in the NFL and all that stuff. So still have a little impact today of helping some of these kids kind of navigate through that because it was, it was, it was tough for sure.
Speaker 1: When did you realize you were good at sports? When did you gravitate to sports?
Speaker 2: Oh, gosh, I was five. I mean, it was like my old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad played professional baseball in the minors. He played at LMU. My brother's five years older. So we just we were just always a sports family.
Speaker 2: Baseball, basketball, football.
Speaker 1: You are, as you mentioned, 6'5. I mean, at least that's what you said and the football program said. So when were your growth spurts? My son, who continuously says he's going to play in the NBA, but he has a 5'1 mother. So I would like to know when his growth spurts were.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, my wife is 5'2 1⁄2. So we always joke, we have a 6 1⁄2-year-old who, at least at this point, has my height. And we have my five-year-old who's got his mom's height.
Speaker 2: She's a 5'2 Cuban. So I'm like, God, you're bringing down the averages. You know what? It's so crazy.
Speaker 3: My mom was 5'8, so fairly taller for a woman, especially growing up in the 60s.
Speaker 2: And my dad's 5'11.
Speaker 3: So I have no clue where I got my height from. But my growth spurt was seventh, eighth, ninth grade. Like I was, I was six foot in seventh grade, which is tall. And then going into high school, I was, I was pretty much the height I am now. I was like a touch under six, five.
Speaker 1: Okay. So you were basically six, five by the time you entered high school. So I'll let him know if he's got a shot. He's real 50th percentile.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think, I don't think he is he playing sports?
Speaker 1: Oh, he is my oldest who is just turned seven is the biggest jock.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter what the sport is. You tell him we're going to go play something and it involves a ball catching, throwing. It doesn't swimming even anything, anything that is athletic. He excels in and just loves it.
Speaker 2: It's incredible.
Speaker 1: I'm so, I'm so excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a fun age. I always say, I always tell, um, you have two kids too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Seven and five.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay. So yeah. So we're in the same boat.
Speaker 3: So I actually, I have a kid who's in college who's 19, which I had him younger and he's playing football, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: But my wife and I have six and a half, five, and we have a one and a half year old daughter. And I tell everybody because I got to, I'm getting the chance to relive it again, which is so cool. And I have such a different perspective going through it once. I would say like the five, like four, five, six, and even seven are like the golden years of parenting in my opinion, because- they, whatever they're into, they just, they love mom.
Speaker 2: They love dad. They're all, they're, you know, they're like, we're still cool. They're by your side. They want to do everything you do. And then, and then that grip slowly just goes away as they get a little bit older. And it's so sad.
Speaker 1: So sad.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I was like crying for weeks when my son went to college because I'm like, I was just going back to all the memories growing up. So I always tell everybody like, man, just, you know, obviously just embrace every moment, like every opportunity you can, because it just, it goes.
Speaker 1: I know my seven-year-old said to me the other night, I was putting him to bed and he said he, every night he asks me, what do I have tomorrow? He loves a schedule and he likes to be busy. And so what he knows he has camp during the day, but then what he really means is, do I have baseball, basketball, or karate after school? Like, what do I have tomorrow? So I go, well, tomorrow you're going to have camp. And he goes, hmm. I said, do you not like camp? And he goes, no, I like camp. I just, I wish you could be there with me. I want to spend more time with you.
Speaker 2: And I was.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my gosh, cherish this moment. Remember this sentence.
Speaker 2: God, I just got goosebumps you telling me that because it's just, God, it's just the best.
Speaker 3: The things they say, it's like, God, they just, yeah, it is the best. It's the best time right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, with kids' sports these days, it really can feel 24-7, 365. And I know you're well aware. I want to talk to you a little more about Cole later. But there are club teams and travel all-stars and personal coaches. I know in Little League, kids used to play four times a month in the 80s and 90s. And now they are playing three to four games per weekend. Was that something you did as a kid or would have enjoyed growing up or is it just too much?
Speaker 3: Gosh, you know, it's such a great question. And we are currently living it now. So our six-year-old just finished all-star baseball this summer. So so everyone's like six, you all-star baseball, all-star baseball is a little bit different because it is a small period. It's a couple months max, and then you're done travel, you know, as year round, especially living in California. Um, he just played 35 games in like eight weeks, but that was all stars.
Speaker 2: And it's over. Yep.
Speaker 3: And so he played equivalent of like three seasons of like pony baseball or whatever. Um, I grew up playing the seasonal sports. Like I love baseball was always my first sport. Um, but I would play like, you know, fall, spring baseball. I would play flag football for my school. I would play basketball when it was, and they never really overlapped back then. And then I got into travel baseball probably when I was 14 or like going into high school. Cause I was, I was that was like my number one thing. I wanted to play baseball. I ended up getting hurt switching to football, but that's a whole other story. But so it's interesting because it's so much more competitive now at a younger age for better or for worse, because of all the things you said, because of travel, because of personal coaches, because of specializing, all those things. I am, I'm not naive to the fact that there is a lot more competition at a younger age and you don't want to get left behind, especially if you have good athletes. If you have kids who you think you know, have a shot to play high school or whatever it is. But I also like, I just, I want, I'm a firm believer like cream will always rise to the top in sports. So like if my kid's good enough, he's going to, at some point he's going to show it, you know? And again, I'm going to, he's going to do the stuff that you need to get there. So I guess the long, the short of the answer is play as many sports as possible.
Speaker 2: You don't need to specialize in one.
Speaker 3: I think being a, being a great athlete, quote unquote, and being versatile and, is the best way to go as you get older.
Speaker 2: And then, then at.
Speaker 3: Some point when you can start to see, I tell parents this all the time, if you could start to see what your son or your daughter is like, Hey.
Speaker 2: They're pretty good in this. Like I can see it. Then, then that's when you start.
Speaker 3: To maybe go that route and specialize or at least spend a little, invest a little more time and energy into that.
Speaker 2: That could be middle school. It could be eighth grade. I don't know when that is.
Speaker 3: You know, every parent is different, but I always tell parents too, like, gosh, just like, let them have fun. If they love it and they compete, then, you know, then you'll just know, like everyone knows their own kid, you know? So yeah, I mean, I see a lot of these, like we played this team this summer and for Pony All-Stars, again, it's, you know, it's six, eight weeks, but that team plays year round together and they started at five years old.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, five years old?
Speaker 3: Like my kids are pretty good in sports, but I'm like, I want them to have summers of camps and beach and enjoying the family time, you know. So it's a wild– youth sports are wild, to say the least.
Speaker 2: You might be going for it. You might be going through it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah. I mean, well, my kids started karate at three. Which I love, by the way. it's unbelievable. It's been so good for them. Nothing makes me happier than hearing one of them say, yes, ma'am. And I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 2: My, my, my older son is so funny. He, he did, uh, was doing jujitsu.
Speaker 3: So along the same thing, you know, the discipline, this was like two years ago and we were going to like, we were just going to do it for a couple months and get like the discipline and all that kind of stuff. And he's, he's the big kid and he's tough and he feel he's kind of a caveman. I But he doesn't, he's not a fighter. He doesn't like, he doesn't like, you could punch him a hundred times.
Speaker 1: He's a gentle giant.
Speaker 2: He is. And he's tough as nails.
Speaker 3: But this little girl in this jujitsu class was beating the hell out of him. And the coach was like, you know, doing your submissions and your teaching right at this age. And he just, he started crying. He just stood there and he's like, God, I can't, I can't, I can't, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I can't hit her. I can't, or like, you know, and I'm like, Oh, maybe this isn't for him.
Speaker 3: But the fact that your kids do it is amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, both, both my kids did cry the first week that they had to do grappling.
Speaker 2: Similar.
Speaker 1: My kids were like, you want me to take my friend down? Like, what do you mean take my friend down? And we realized like, Oh, this is something we need to let them practice on us. And for us to practice with them at home. Like, look, it's not aggressive when you're both agreeing to it. It's not, you know, that's the difference between violence and athleticism. So anyway, but it did take some time because they were both like, oh, this feels weird.
Speaker 2: I love that they do it.
Speaker 3: I think like the discipline it teaches you is amazing and respect and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Did you have any hobbies outside of sports? Was there, like, did you have time for anything else? Did you collect rocks or anything?
Speaker 3: You know, what's funny is, God, this is such a terrible hobby now, but I used to collect like sports cards and I, and I, I, maybe your boys do, but like, I do, I do that again. And my wife thinks I'm like, like, you're not a child and you're wasting money.
Speaker 2: It's like a hobby, you know? So I would say that's probably.
Speaker 3: One that I really enjoyed doing with my brother and my dad growing up. And my oldest son never really got into it because like, I don't know how familiar you are with sort.
Speaker 2: Of the hobby, but it sort of lost its luster for a while.
Speaker 3: And then when COVID happened, like it just boomed again because people were just like buying cards, like, you know, and now it's like, it's all.
Speaker 2: Over the place.
Speaker 3: So I've gotten my younger boys into it, which has been pretty cool, you know? So they're collecting and putting them in their little, things and asking me, dad, what's this card worth?
Speaker 2: And all this kind of stuff. It's kind of fun. So, I mean, I would, I would say probably that, like, I, I just, my childhood was great.
Speaker 3: We were always outside playing sports with the neighborhood kids. Um, you know, we, we grew up, you know, we didn't have a ton of money growing up. So I didn't, honestly, I didn't get to do a lot of camps, but like we were, it was awesome, man. We were always outside riding bikes and you know, kind of like the old days, which we wish our kids were, you know, not on their phones. And I mean, not kids don't have phones, but like, it's just a new day and age now.
Speaker 2: Right. So, um, but that's it. Yeah. The card stuff is pretty hard.
Speaker 1: I love that. Do you ever open car? Do you ever open packs online?
Speaker 3: You know, that's, you know, I, I did, I did some rips, um, with the mojo guys. Um, I think they're based out of San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Um, I, I love it. It's just because it's become a fun hobby. Um, Yeah, and it's an expensive hobby, which.
Speaker 1: It is an expensive hobby.
Speaker 2: I always tell my wife, I'm like, I'm investing.
Speaker 3: She's like, well, if you're investing, when are we going to get our money back? Because I never like sell my cards, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly.
Speaker 1: Listen, I don't know if your wife is like a bag person, but you know, if she collects handbags, it's an investment too, except I also never sell my bags.
Speaker 2: I know, I tried. I can't, she's just like, you're an idiot. But you know what? It's like, I don't really spend money on anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, and it's a bonding thing for you and the kids.
Speaker 2: It is. It truly is. It truly is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. You attended one of the country's top high schools for sports. It has spawned more professional athletes than basically anywhere on the West Coast modern day. Did you feel a pressure from the expectations of that school?
Speaker 2: Not at the time. So....
Speaker 3: My older brother, again, like I said, was five years old or so. He graduated high school when I was coming in, so we never overlapped. He played baseball. It's kind of interesting. This is going to sound kind of weird, but I always felt like I was born to play baseball. And again, I know my path took me to football and all that stuff, but I was born to be a pitcher.
Speaker 2: I loved baseball.
Speaker 3: I loved the, I guess it's why quarterback worked out. Cause I loved the pressure. Uh, I just, it was just natural for me, right? Like I just, I just, I never really felt the pressure. I love being, I love the ball on the mountain. I love being the pitcher. I love being the quarterback. Um, it was just sort of kind of.
Speaker 2: Innate in me.
Speaker 3: So like when I went to modern day, very, very great, great school, great academics.
Speaker 2: Great sports. And I love that.
Speaker 3: I love modern day because a lot of the people there are like minded, like whether an athlete or not, like they have goals to be to get to college to.
Speaker 2: Whether it's academically or sports.
Speaker 3: So you're surrounded by a lot of people who have the same goals as you, which, you know, makes you compete more.
Speaker 2: But I never really felt it. You know, I just went there and kind of did my thing.
Speaker 3: Like I was injured for a year and a half, so I didn't even play sports my whole entire sophomore year. That was a really tough time for me, as any athlete could tell you, especially as a young age. But Um, you know, some of my best coaches I've ever had were there. Um, they molded me, they really helped me and they prepare me for college.
Speaker 2: So I love modern day.
Speaker 1: Well, you clearly didn't show any nerves. You led the team to a CIF co-championship and were named the California high school player of the year. And then you graduated.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Relive the glory days.
Speaker 2: I know. Right.
Speaker 1: Then you graduated, you signed to USC. I mean, every high schooler dreams of these recruitment letters and meetings with head coaches. What do you remember from this time of your life and being courted around by colleges?
Speaker 3: It was like, you know, it's so crazy because I got to do it with my son. My son's at SMU playing football on scholarships. like crazy full circle, like all of these things happening in my life. Um, he's been there now for six months, but, um, I remember, you know, you would get back then you get letters mailed to you, right. And you open them up and you're like, Oh, this is freaking awesome. Like, you know, my mom would, would keep them in a box and all that kind of stuff. Um, the recruiting process, you know, looking back, it was, it was incredible. Like my parent, my family was a part of it. And it was like one of those stories. Like I grew up in Santa Ana. So I grew up in Literally five minutes from modern day.
Speaker 2: Both my parents worked. We were middle class.
Speaker 3: They worked hard, but we didn't grow up with a lot of money and a lot of stuff. When the recruiting and I was able to go to college and it was paid for and all those kind of things, it was a really cool, special moment. I'll tell you a funny story. I almost committed to Michigan. I ended up going to USA obviously, but I almost committed to Michigan. I went out there and, um, I love the camp. They offer me a scholarship. They, they, they wanted me to throw in person. They wanted to see me throw in person to see if they were going to offer me or not. Um, they ended up offering me. So I come back and.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm going to Michigan. I loved it. It was one of those, like I'm in the moment. Right.
Speaker 3: And my mom was like, just started, my mom passed away nine years ago, but my mom was like crying and she was tough.
Speaker 2: And I was like, She's like, you can't go to Michigan. You can't, you're like, you know, like she didn't want her baby to leave.
Speaker 3: She's like, you're going to be miserable in the winter, all these kinds of things.
Speaker 2: Um, so I ended up choosing USC.
Speaker 3: I think my heart was always staying home. Like I always knew I'd like kind of wanted to stay home and go to USC, but, um, I saw that was just a huge part of my recruiting was my.
Speaker 2: Parents and my mom and all that kind of stuff. Um, it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I got to, I got to do it with my son sort of all over again and just, and be a dad really like obviously give advice and, football and all these things, but just really be a dad and watch him kind of go through that, which was really cool.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that you made that decision.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, me too. I would have never lasted. I would have never lasted.
Speaker 1: No. And also, you know, knowing your mom passed nine years ago, it's like, those are years, you know, that you'll, that you were able to spend right there with her all the time that you wouldn't have had otherwise. Now, you played decades before the NIL laws allowing college athletes to sign endorsement deals and make money while still in school. Do you wish you could have done a Colgate commercial before the Rose Bowl or shot a MeUndies campaign? What are your thoughts on NIL? You know what?
Speaker 2: It's interesting. You know what?
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I always get asked like, oh, you would have made this amount of money and this and this and that. And like, yeah, sure, it would have been great, you know?
Speaker 2: But like my experience... is what led me to today.
Speaker 3: It's, it's, it sounds cliche, but it's like, it led me talking to you because talking to you, let me do like my podcast and these, these different opportunities that I've been able to do since I've played football and get to do big noon kickoff on Fox and all these things. So like, like I, I think it's interesting because there was a certain level of commitment and and loyalty back then. Like when you committed to a school, it didn't always work out obviously, but when you committed to a school, you committed to the school, you sign your letter, you're going there. Now you transferred back then, not very many people did, but you, or you, there was just like, I'm going to, I'm committed here. This is what I signed up for. I'm going to stick it out. I'm going to work my ass off, et cetera, et cetera. That is, that is not as prevalent now because these kids are making so much money. There's a less there's less resilience from these kids. The minute there's adversity, you know, there's a, well, I'm just going to go somewhere here or I'm going to go get paid by this. Like there's that now, which I don't like. There's more kids bouncing around. There's more kids chasing money. And who am I to tell a 19 year old kid not to go make more money? Like I get it. Like, you know, I get it. But it's just, it's just a different, it's a different world we live in. So I'm all for it. I think it's tremendous. I think, you know, The men, the women, all these sports, they have this opportunity now.
Speaker 2: To make money off their name, right? I think that's fantastic. I think rules need to be put in place.
Speaker 3: But the lack of kind of resilience and commitment sort of from this old school mindset bothers me.
Speaker 2: Yeah. it is what it is, you know? Yeah.
Speaker 1: There are pros and cons. It reminds me of like hearing my parents talk. My parents got married really young. They got married at 21. Um, and hearing them talk about like those years when my dad was still in college and they had $ 20 each per week for their grocery, like all the food they were going to eat for the week had to be spent with $ 20. And like, then of course my, you know, my dad ended up becoming very successful and But they talk about those lean years and the things they learned that they would have never, but let's say, for example, I never learned because I started working really young and I was making money. It's like, well, there are pros to that. And I learned other things, but the things I missed out on by not having to go through those experiences. So everything you're saying makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, and you started, gosh, you started acting. How old were you when you started acting? I was 10.
Speaker 1: I was 10 and then 12 when I started Boy Meets World. So Boy Meets World was 12 to 19.
Speaker 2: Well, what an incredible run you went on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: While researching you, I was really surprised that after Carson Palmer went pro, you weren't the immediate choice to replace him. You actually competed against two other guys for the starting job. obviously with how it all played out, they made the right decision, but I was wondering how much that feeling of competition actually helped you.
Speaker 3: It's a good question. I think there, there were two parts of that. I, I struggled.
Speaker 2: I really struggled.
Speaker 3: My, I saw my first two years I sat there. So I, I, I came in as a freshman and it was Pete Carroll's first year. Um, so I was recruited by the previous staff and then Pete sort of recruited me to keep my commitment. Um, so the first year I redshirted, you know, like I didn't, there's no pressure to play, et cetera. The next year Carson comes back because there were somewhere that he was going to leave and go pro.
Speaker 2: So then I'm, I'm backing up again, technically.
Speaker 3: So then that was the first time I considered maybe transferring, you know, it wasn't like a big, like.
Speaker 2: This whole drawn out thing.
Speaker 3: I remember talking to my parents, like, Hey man, this, this might like, I want to play at some point, you know, and I'm, I'm losing time. Um, so part of me was a little bit like, I don't want to say shine away from the competition.
Speaker 2: But it's just maybe it wasn't working out. And then it's funny.
Speaker 3: I just talked about my, my high school coach, Rollinson, who's my high school coach, legendary high school coach. I remember having a conversation with him and he was, he's like the ultra, I don't know if you ever had like an acting coach or somebody, he's the ultimate or director, but like a motivating, like just your, your, your typical like locker room speech, but a great coach and, and someone I really looked up to and still do.
Speaker 2: And he just, he sat me down.
Speaker 3: I remember, I think we were on the phone and he just gave me this speech about like, remember who I was and what got me there and this, and it was just everything I needed to hear. And it was really one conversation that kind of sparked, like reignited this kind of.
Speaker 2: Passion and drive.
Speaker 3: Like I can do this, you know, at least I'm going to give it everything I got and, and have a shot. So I ended up winning the competition, um, with, you know, with a couple other guys who are like my best buddies today. Um, And yeah, sort of, I guess the rest is history just went on that, that incredible run with that team.
Speaker 1: Well, I see the Mamba mentality sign behind you and dates wise.
Speaker 2: I'm a big Kobe fan.
Speaker 1: I was going to say you and Kobe Bryant were excelling in Los Angeles at the same time around the same age. What was your experience with him? Like, were you friends?
Speaker 2: So we, so he is my favorite.
Speaker 3: Athlete of all time as an ad cause I grew up a Lakers fan. Um, and obviously just everything he stood for and his, his desire and, and you know, all the reasons why everyone loves Kobe. And, um, I met him, I met him a couple of times, like probably post USC when I was in the NFL, go to Laker games. And he was always so cool to me and just like, cause he came in at 97. So he's like, yeah, he, he would have been five years older than me. He's the same age as my brother. Um, I just told this story the other day. This was Kobe to me. So over the years, we had a mutual friend. And Kobe lived down in Newport Beach. And, you know, he would drive up and all.
Speaker 2: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: And so I might have been, I think, I don't know if I was retired. I think I probably was maybe at the end of my career retired. And we were going to like this barbecue. Have you heard of Emerald Bay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 3: So Emerald Bay. So like the private beach community, a friend lived there. Kobe was going, it was like, just like a barbecue day. And I'm like, shoot, this is like, I'm just fired up because I'm like, you know, like I don't get starstruck very often, but I was like, I'm going to get hang with Kobe, like the person, right? The dad, the human being. And we were there all day and he's telling stories. And I brought my best friend who's a diehard Laker fan. Cole, my oldest was probably seven or eight at the time. And by the end of the night, There's like kids everywhere, adults everywhere. And there's like an eight person golf cart. And, you know, in Emerald Bay, there's like, you know, you're just kind of it's not big. You're just driving around to get to the drop off. And there's like little speed bumps. And Kobe's driving. I'm in the front seat next to him. And I swear, Daniel, there's like 18 people on this golf cart.
Speaker 2: And it was like, and Cole was on my lap. Someone else's kid was on my lap.
Speaker 3: My buddy was like hanging on the side, like grown adults are on the back.
Speaker 2: Like it was. And, and just the best part about it was Kobe was like, it wasn't Mamba. Right.
Speaker 3: It was like, he was like swerving, jumping over the bumps to try.
Speaker 2: And like knock people off. Like, it was just like, I'll never forget it. It was like, I just, it was just.
Speaker 3: Like, it's a great memory that I have. And then, um, three weeks before uh, he passed away. So my oldest son was, was a really good basketball player. And there was this, um, circuit called the made hoop circuit. And one of the tournaments was always up at Mamba Academy in the Valley. And that early January, one of those first weekends in January, he was there and he was coaching Gigi's team and that Mamba team.
Speaker 2: And we went up to him and, you know, said, what's up, man? What's up? And he remembered Cole. And he's like, Cole, holy shit, man. Because Cole's like almost 6'4.
Speaker 3: But, you know, Cole just sprouted up. Like this was three years later maybe. It gives me chills talking about it because it's crazy. So, yeah, and we just talked for 10 minutes. And he was just spending the whole time talking about Cole and like asking him how he's doing.
Speaker 2: And he watched his game.
Speaker 3: And then he went and coached Gigi. And then three weeks later, you know, it happened. So, yeah, he's– I mean, yeah, just the impact. And also like, it's just like what could have happened, you know, what he was doing with women's basketball and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's just, it's awful.
Speaker 3: But I'm grateful for those stories that I have, you know, with him outside of.
Speaker 2: The basketball player.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you cross paths with him, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, several times over the years, starting back from when I was a teenager. And then, you know, in 2014 to 2017, when I was doing Girl Meets World, He and Vanessa and the girls were fans. And so he brought them to set to, you know, meet the cast and everything. So yeah, he's, yeah, wonderful. Your college career is just outstanding. I mean, slightly beyond human. I listed just some of your achievements in the intro that I did before you got here, but I know perfectionists. So what still bothers you? from your college career? What got away and just still sticks with you 25 years later?
Speaker 2: I mean, the Texas game.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it still bothers me to this day. I've gotten over it, can't you tell? I've learned how to talk about it. The biggest thing about that was we had a chance to win three championships in a.
Speaker 2: Row and that's never, it was never done. It's never been done.
Speaker 3: It probably will never be done because now with the parody and NIL and college football teams have been close, you know, Georgia, bam, all that.
Speaker 2: But that, that one is.
Speaker 3: Just the one, you know, it's just like, what, it wouldn't have changed like where I got drafted and all that. Cause I was a senior, but it just like, when you look at history and you know, we were, we had some great teams.
Speaker 2: But you look at history, like a three-peat, it's never been done. So that's the one.
Speaker 3: And like, I always say there's always, like in football, there's always, there's always, because the margin of error is so small in the NFL, college is different, but NFL, but like, there's always two or three plays in a game that like, you just want back, right? You just want to change. And there were like a few plays like that in that game. I can remember vividly that I just wish I could take back.
Speaker 2: And again, like, like maybe we would have won. Right.
Speaker 3: Like I don't blame myself and all these things. And it's like, it was such a great game. And honestly, like I've been convinced young is a great friend of mine. Mack Brown is a great, like that game really like arguably the greatest college football game ever played.
Speaker 2: A lot of people still say that like we're, we're a part of history together.
Speaker 3: So I've become friends with a lot of Texas guys and stuff, but yeah, that's the one that's like the blemish, you know, there, there were, there were two, we lost to Cal and Aaron Rogers my first year. Um, But that's the one, that's the one that's like, man, what if, you know, what if we would have won three, you know?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The one that when you find yourself drifting off in a daydream and you can take those plays back and alter them a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the crazy thing.
Speaker 3: So I got into, you know, covering college football at Fox in 2013 or 14. And it's just like, now everybody that I crossed paths with went to UT or something. It's like, I can't escape it. My wife's best friend is a Longhorn. And then all of a sudden it's like, oh my God.
Speaker 2: You guys gotta be kidding me. But yeah. It's all good. Much respect to them. They beat us, but, you know, what are you going to do?
Speaker 1: The pratfalls of college can be so tempting for a student athlete. For every Matt Leinart at USC, there's a Todd Maranovich. How did you stay focused and away from the 9-0 club every weekend?
Speaker 2: 9-0? Have you ever been to the 9-0?
Speaker 1: I've never been to the 9-0.
Speaker 2: No? No. God, the 9-0, what a great spot. You know.
Speaker 3: a few things like one, I had a great, great family and great people around me. You know, um, my parents kind of were like, no BS. I had an older brother who always still to this day looks out after me. Um, it's, it's interesting in that time, you know, because we, I don't know, like Pete Carroll was so great at, Hey, work hard, play hard. I don't care what you do, but you better be ready to work. And if you don't, someone else.
Speaker 2: Is going to take your job.
Speaker 3: So he really treated us like, it's, it's so, he treated us like men, but he was there to be like a father figure. He expect, he demanded a lot from us, but like, we'd love playing for him. He was like, he, it's the reason why he's so successful in life. He just has like, he just, that's, he just, you know, it's why he's incredible. And we were, I mean, me personally, I was able to understand what the.
Speaker 2: Job was and what my role was and the.
Speaker 3: Leadership that I had to show. Um, but I was also like, I was also able like to be a kid for the most part. And, um, this was pre, you know, this was pre all the other stuff, social media, the internet, like you could do a lot more. You could get away with a lot more. You could be yourself. You didn't have to be afraid. I mean, you, you live in this world. Like you don't, you don't have to be afraid to go out and be like, Holy crap. Is something going to be said? Just going out with your friends, you know? So like, I'm like, my son is not, my son is in the opposite. So I'm like, buddy, you, you have to be very careful what you do.
Speaker 2: Very careful. Like, so it's hard. So I'm kind of grateful for that, but it wasn't that hard.
Speaker 3: Like we, we were, You know, we were sort of treated like royalty in L.A. at that time because there wasn't a football team.
Speaker 2: Right. But we also won.
Speaker 3: Like I always tell everybody, we worked our ass off and we competed hard and we won, you know, and that's it.
Speaker 1: After your storied college career, you were a first round number 10 pick for the Arizona Cardinals. What was your biggest culture shock going into the NFL?
Speaker 3: Just the, the, I think the biggest thing is the speed of the game was, you know, every, so everything came, I obviously I worked hard at USC to get to that point, but everything came very easy as I got older. Like I was playing a lot. It was just like, you know, like, you just get comfortable, right? It's like, if you're playing a role for so long, you're just like, Oh, this is easy. I can tap back into that. Then all of a sudden you go to a bigger one. You're like, Oh, this is way different. And so I think the biggest shock is just one grown men and two.
Speaker 2: The speed and all that. And there, and there's a, there's when you're.
Speaker 3: Drafted that high as a quarterback, there is a certain amount of pressure and expectation because they're paying you a lot of money to, to be the face of a franchise and, So you're no longer a 20-year-old playing on Saturday and then going to the 9-0 at night. You're expected to act in a certain way. No matter what, you can do whatever you want, but you're expected to be that guy. And that was just something I learned very quickly in the NFL.
Speaker 1: You suffered season-ending injuries in your first two years, one after setting then-NFL rookie record for passing yards in a game. How do you deal with Like your whole life is focused on these few weeks every year and you can't control the way you fall or how you're tackled. Is it depressing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of emotions.
Speaker 3: So my, so the first one you're talking about, I actually, I hurt my shoulder right at the end of the year. So, and it wasn't a significant one, but it, it, um, I sat out the last game. Um, And then the next year in 2007, I broke my collarbone in week five and that ended my season. And then that was when Kurt Warner took over the job, led us to the Super Bowl. We had this competition and that's sort of when I had to kind of sit back and reevaluate like, hey, I need to really like injuries happen, right?
Speaker 2: Some of them, they happen or they don't, right? It's hard to, it's hard.
Speaker 3: Like you said, you fall a certain way or whatever, but I need to really start to like reevaluate this, or I'm going to be out of this league very quickly. And then in 2012, I was in Houston and the starter got hurt and I was going to, I was the backup and I was going to start the rest of the year. And this was, you know, there were years in between obviously, but this was the best I'd ever felt. Like mentally I was ready.
Speaker 2: I was, I was like, just like the coach was like brought out more, like I just, I lost confidence. And then I broke my collarbone again.
Speaker 3: That was the you say depressing, that was probably the hardest time of my life as an athlete, because one, I knew it, I knew it was almost over.
Speaker 2: I only played one more year after that.
Speaker 3: And it just started realizing, like, I'm just not like, this is like, I'm not like, it's over.
Speaker 2: Like, this isn't me anymore, you know? And, The first ones were like I was younger. I was 24.
Speaker 3: I'm like, all right, you bounce back. You're going to get so many opportunities.
Speaker 2: The NFL, you get.
Speaker 3: You get one or two, maybe, you know, you better hold onto them, especially at quarterback.
Speaker 2: Um, injuries are a part of sport. That's, that's what they are. Um, it's hard.
Speaker 3: You can't really control them for the most part. You can do everything you can to get your body right. And this and that, but, um, that's that, that big one in Houston was the one that really, really, um, altered my life. And like, and again, it all worked out right.
Speaker 2: It was all great. But like in the moment, I'll, I'll never forget. I was in Jacksonville. It was the hardest time.
Speaker 3: And so I, my first start kind of back, like rejuvenated, this is my time. And I was saying like, I was playing in hopes to get like a bigger contract. Like if I play well, five or six games, I'm going to, I'm going to get a massive contract.
Speaker 2: It was like, it was like the next step.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And so I get my first start back in, in Jacksonville. My dad flies out for the game. Cause it was like, he's like, I'll be there. I'm like so tight. I break my collarbone second quarter and I'm playing like right before the half.
Speaker 2: I'm playing really good.
Speaker 3: And I like I'll never forget. Like he came down in the locker room halftime. I'm like bawling, crying. And I'm just like, it's over. It was just it was like it just it was like just deflating.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It was like I worked so hard mentally to get back to a good spot. and get my confidence and like, Hey man, if I get my shot again, like I feel great. And I was on a good team and great coaches and it just didn't work out, you know? And that was, that was sort of the end. I played one more year after that. And by that time, you know, we always kind of say this in the NFL. It's like, like my coach is like, just earn a paycheck as long as you can. Cause obviously we get paid very well, but He's like, hold on, keep working hard, like just keep keep play as long as you possibly can, because once it's over, it's over.
Speaker 2: So I got one more year. But the injuries, the injuries are tough.
Speaker 3: They're part of it. But yeah, they can be depressing. They can put you in a really dark place, you know, because you're just working so hard for those opportunities.
Speaker 2: And it's taken in a second.
Speaker 1: In your seven years in the NFL. What city's fans did you dread playing against the most? I think it's been long enough that you could say who was the shittiest.
Speaker 2: Well, I will say this.
Speaker 3: Philly fans are the worst.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: They are nasty.
Speaker 1: Nasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, great, great organization, but they are just nasty. Everything about it is nasty. Like you just look at like you look up and like the way they're dressed and their accents and they're just Philly. Like they're just that's just what they're known for. Um, which by the way, they're great fans.
Speaker 2: For their team. Right.
Speaker 3: Um, I would say Seattle has great fans, the Seahawks. I don't know if you've ever been to a Seahawks game. Um, great fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow. Cause we were in the same division as them for four years in Arizona.
Speaker 3: So like always going up there, it's a lot, one of the loudest stadiums in the NFL and they were sneaky, like sneaky, kind of nasty too. Like the things they would say, um, But I, you know, like those are the two, but I, I love, I just love that part about, I love that. Like I love, I love fans. Like they love their, they love their team. They talk smack. They like, that's part of the game. Like I always appreciated that in a weird way. And then when you beat them, you talk smack back, you know, like it's just, it's just part of it.
Speaker 1: That's a rewarding feeling to get to talk smack back. We've mentioned your son Cole quite a few times. He's in his freshman year at SMU after being a top 200 player in all of California high school football. what has it been like for you to be on the other side now as a dad? And do you have a new respect for your dad now?
Speaker 3: Yes. I, I, I'm so grateful for my dad in the way and how he, both my parents, but how he raised me, especially in sports and just the, he was never the yeller, the screamer. He just, and I always say this, like my, the, the best gift I could give all my kids is just my, my presence and being there and my time, right? Like, like I work, I travel a lot, I'm busy, all these things, but just like, like being there for them, whether I coach them or whatever. Um, so to go through that with my oldest son and, you know, his mom and I, his mom and I are, we were never together and all that, like we were never married, all this stuff. So like he had a different sort of upbringing than obviously my kids.
Speaker 2: Are, are my other kids, my wife. So, um, it was always a little different with him.
Speaker 3: And for him to get that scholarship to SMU and to see the journey and the hard work and a lot of adversity and a lot of crying and a lot of questioning himself and a lot of this and that, to get to that point and then to see him thrive.
Speaker 2: And he had a lot of ups and downs in high school. Let me tell you, like a lot of.
Speaker 3: Ups and downs, like anybody, you know, I always say like ages and phases, right? The five and seven is great phases.
Speaker 2: They come and go. You just kind of have to ride that wave.
Speaker 3: And we went through a lot of hard times with him, but he came out and he came out stronger and better and learned a lot. And I'll tell you what, I swear I was, I posted about this online, but I was like, I was sitting at his last, I'm a very emotional person.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I'm not, I'm not afraid to cry. Like I'm not afraid to show my emotions. I love my kids. I'll cry at like a freaking spelling bee. I'll cry at a game, like, you know, whatever. Um, but it was just different with him a little bit.
Speaker 2: And I'd never forget.
Speaker 3: I'm watching his last practices down the street, the high school, I'm just sobbing. And again, my job during the fall, I didn't get a chance to see a lot of his games because I travel for college football, which was a big bummer. Um, but, um, I got to, it all kind of comes full circle. I got to be there. He made the championship game his senior year. And I got to be there for it.
Speaker 2: It all worked out.
Speaker 3: Like there was a flight home. I was in Detroit at a Michigan game. There was a flight home. There were all these things. I'm like, holy crap, I'm going to get to see his last ever high school game. And it was such a meaningful moment for me as a dad. Dropping to college was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 2: And all good, right? It's all great stuff, but like.
Speaker 3: Letting go and your mind immediately flashes to all of that stuff, right? That you go through as parents and you'll be there one day when you drop your boys off. And it's like, oh my gosh, they're gone already.
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: So, um, being on that side of it has been one of the greatest joys of my life.
Speaker 2: It really has.
Speaker 3: And getting a chance to watch him play football at a great university like SMU, whether he ever plays or not, I can care less, but getting a chance. I just, I just went out to see him last weekend and.
Speaker 2: Just he's just happy. It's just crazy to see your kid all grown up, right?
Speaker 1: I know. It's like the whole goal of being a good parent is to watch them launch. And then they launch and you're like, oh no, come back.
Speaker 3: Your son said that to you the other day.
Speaker 2: My son texted me the other day. He goes, dad, being an adult is unreal. What am I even doing?
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, dude, it's tough, bro. We went to go get him a car. He's paying for it because he's making money now. But like, The things he'll text me, he's like, gosh, I wish I could be a kid again.
Speaker 2: Cause you know, when they're kids, they want to grow up and they're like, I want to do like, I'm like, yeah, buddy, I told you being adults, you have a lot more responsibility now.
Speaker 3: But I said like, you're living the dream. Like you're, you're, you're on a scholarship. You're getting paid money to play a sport. You get a chance to like, I always say like football is the greatest teacher of life. In my opinion, like the, the, the team and all the stuff that it can teach you. I'm like, buddy, just enjoy it. Cause it's, it goes by and like whether he makes the NFL, not like it goes by so fast, but yeah, it's been, it's been so, it's been amazing. Honestly, it's been so, it's just been such a joy to, to watch him excel and thrive. And then to be able to relive these moments with my other three and just to watch them now and to kind of, I don't say like do it over again, but just to redo it again, like, and it's, it's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, you are competing once again, but on a whole new playing field. You are participating in Fox's new hit reality show, Nation's Dumbest, up against fellow celebs like Ice-T, Jojo Siwa, and politician Andrew Yang, going head-to-head in brain teasers, quizzes, and physical challenges. Was it fun? Because honestly, I am nervous every time I watch you guys. I get nervous. Are you having a good time?
Speaker 2: It was my first intro to reality TV.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Um, and.
Speaker 3: I, I really didn't know, you know, you, you, you go in and you get these calls from the producers and oh, it's going to be this and fun and lighthearted and all this stuff.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's like, so this could be fun. And then, you know, it's only a couple of weeks and all this stuff. And I, and also like, I, I.
Speaker 2: Work at Fox.
Speaker 3: So this was a crossover and I would love to host shows one day. Like I, you know, I just, I, I was like, this could be a great opportunity to have fun.
Speaker 2: Why not? Right.
Speaker 3: Do something out of your comfort zone. I can't even lie to you.
Speaker 2: It was the most intense.
Speaker 3: Nerves, emotional highs and lows that I've ever been through way more than football. And I don't, the show has been so great and the producing and it's so fun to watch. And like, it really, it really is fun as you, if you look back, but in the moment, oh my gosh, my wife, if she was here, she would tell you, it was like, I won't say miserable, but I was like, it was tough for me. It was really tough for me to get up and be like, I got to do this. I got to fight for these damn stars. Like, and I'm like, what am I doing? And like, I don't want to look like an idiot. Cause I think I'm pretty smart, but like, I don't know what I don't know. And I'll say the great thing about it is the cast, we immediately gelled the first day, all of us. And I think, I mean, you know, I mean, JoJo's on dance with the stars you probably know jojo well her and i have become the most unlikely like i don't want to give i don't want to give too much away but like the most unlikely duo and she's become one of my great friends if that's even can happen in such a short amount of time um And everyone else too. So like we got along, we had a blast like in the moment cause it was just so fun and like whatever, but it's intense. Cause that final exam is intense. You're up there and you're just like, it's just trivia.
Speaker 2: It's just trivia. And it's the most random stuff.
Speaker 3: And it's like either we are, our, our, our motto for all of us was like, you know what you know, and you don't know what you don't know. And if the questions fall your way, you're going to get out. And if they don't, and you don't have three stars to have a couple of lifelines, you're kind of screwed.
Speaker 2: So yeah. I think it's really well done and I hope people are enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Without spoiling anything, obviously, if you had to pick one castmate to join your football team, who are you picking?
Speaker 2: Oh man, probably, probably Steve-O.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just cause he's, Steve-O's great. He's a beast. He's a beast. And he's super smart. Like he's, he's one of those where like from day one, we're like, oh, Steve-O's like, he might be crazy and do a lot of dumb stuff.
Speaker 3: And like, he just, He just, he's Steve-O, right? But like, he's really, really intelligent. And I think that that's come across on the show so far. But yeah, I think having him, like he's, you could put him at linebacker, you put him anywhere and he would, you know, tackle whoever, like he feels no pain.
Speaker 2: He would be one for sure. And honestly, probably Jojo. Jojo's like on our day off early. Cause we had a day off really early on from shooting. Like we went, she's gotten into golf and I like golf. So Um, we went to like a random driving range. We shot in Toronto and we went to, and we played golf for like on the simulator for hours. So fun. She, she's a good athlete. So.
Speaker 1: You have your own pop culture podcast throwbacks alongside actor Jerry Ferrara. And I do want you to know that while researching, I stumbled onto your best of the nineties episode. You had the biggest nineties crush award and you, without any hesitation, you Gave that title to Tiffany Amber Thiessen.
Speaker 2: Which is totally fine.
Speaker 1: I swear, it's totally fine. No, no, it's fine.
Speaker 2: You were on it. You were on it.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, then it was Jerry's turn, and he selected Jennifer Love Hewitt. Again, it's fine. Not an issue. Not sure why you seem to think it's an issue.
Speaker 2: It doesn't bother me at all. I am going to send you the whole clip because you were– I am not just saying this. You were on there.
Speaker 3: It's always– Topanga from Boy Meets World. It's always Kelly Kapowski.
Speaker 1: The Pink Ranger.
Speaker 2: The Pink Ranger.
Speaker 3: It was Jessica Biel, like 7th Heaven.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying who you guys picked. I'm just saying who you picked as your number one.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 1: I just need you to know that Vince Young is my favorite 2000s college quarterback, and Drama is my favorite Entourage character.
Speaker 2: I just want to say this.
Speaker 1: It doesn't bother me.
Speaker 3: When I found out I was coming on this, I was super excited because, as I said, I've been a fan of yours. And I also know, like, you're killing it in the whole Dancing with the Stars world.
Speaker 2: And I know, like, Joey Grazadeh is a good buddy of mine. There's a whole– Dina Katz. Shout out to Dina, who's.
Speaker 1: A good friend. Shout out, Dina.
Speaker 2: And so– I don't know if I went, were you on, you were on last year? Just last season, yeah, season 34. I went to one of the episodes and I think you were still on it.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I didn't know you and obviously that, but I was like, but all that being said, I've been a huge fan of yours and you're killing it.
Speaker 2: You're doing all sorts of stuff, which is awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Do you enjoy podcasting? I feel like most of your life, you were probably encouraged to keep your opinions to yourself because- You either represented USC or the NFL. So how are you enjoying it now?
Speaker 2: You know what? It's such a great question for me because you're absolutely right. I always felt like, I think muzzled.
Speaker 3: Is a very strong word to use, but I always, I just always felt like I was never at a place in the NFL where I was like good enough to be able to say whatever the hell I wanted.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense. And back then there weren't really a ton of platforms anyway.
Speaker 3: Like, so yeah, this whole podcasting space up until I started this a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Ago with Jerry, it, it was one of those things where like, I I'm 43. I was like, man, I want to do more.
Speaker 3: Like whether it's social media or whether it's podcasting or whether it's like, Hey, let's try a reality show.
Speaker 2: Why not? You know, who cares? I've just like, you know, like life, life is too short. Like let's still do this stuff. So, but I always, but like in podcasting, as you know, it's like, I was like, God, who am I? Who would I do it with? Like, it has to be the right person.
Speaker 3: So, like these two worlds collided and I was a huge fan of Entourage. And I always knew who, I never met Jerry in all my time in LA, but we kind of grew up in the same like circle. Like he was all like, like the Hollywood nightlife and all that. Cause we're, he's a little bit older than me. And my agent calls and he's like, Hey, you're doing a podcast with Jerry Farrar.
Speaker 2: And I said, wait, what? And like, that was it. There were talks before, but it was like, we're doing it. So me and Jerry, it's so funny.
Speaker 3: And we get on a call and we're like speed dating through a call for like two hours.
Speaker 2: And you, I mean, you should like, you know, it's just the synergy and it was the chemistry. We have kids the same age, Jerry.
Speaker 3: I don't, I'm sure you've probably met Jerry over the years maybe, but like just a great dude.
Speaker 2: He's such a great dude.
Speaker 3: He's a diehard sports fan. He loves like the throwback nostalgia, like all the stuff.
Speaker 2: That we talk about.
Speaker 3: So to answer that, like, I love it because our pod is just like, we just love telling like, we would love to have you on because you're like, you're just this incredible throwback to like the nineties, two thousands.
Speaker 2: And I would love to know more about you obviously.
Speaker 3: Um, but it's been so fun because it's not like heavy. We tell stories, we do the throwback stuff and, and, uh, and it's been really fun. So like I lucked out because I have such a great, uh, partner and Jerry, who's become a really close friend of mine through this whole process, which has been pretty cool and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 3: Gosh, we got season three coming next month. So we have a little off time right now. But yeah, it's been a lot of fun. But never thought I'd be a podcaster.
Speaker 2: I got to be honest with you. Did you think you'd be a podcaster?
Speaker 1: No, never thought I would be a podcaster. And now I love it. It's basically what I spend 12 hours a day doing.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I feel like you have so many podcasts. How many podcasts are you doing?
Speaker 1: I write currently three because I do Pod Meets World and then I do Teen Beat. And then right now, while Dancing with the Stars, The Next Pro is on, Valentine Shmurkovsky and I are recapping that. So that is at least, you know, that's just a temporary podcast while that show's on.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you something.
Speaker 3: So we had Patrick Renna on our pod. How the Dugout Dads just came out, right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it yet. I don't know. But how cool was that to do? Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun as a fan of the Sandlot to be on a baseball field and looking around and in between shots to just see all of them playing catch for fun. And I was like, oh, my gosh.
Speaker 2: I've been seeing all the clips.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, that's got to be so cool to just like when we when he was on the pod, it was just so like.
Speaker 2: It was just awesome because I'm still a Sandlot. My boys have watched Sandlot and all that. It's like one of the most iconic movies ever.
Speaker 1: It really is. Matt, I am so appreciative of your time today. Like I said, my dad is going to be very jealous. You can listen to Matt's podcast Throwbacks on all of the popular streaming services, including YouTube. And Nation's Dumbest airs every Wednesday night at 9 p.m. or the following day on Hulu, Disney +. or Tubi. Thank you, Matt. I would love to come on your podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh God, we would love to have you for, I'm telling you, we would love, you have been like on our, we're like, we got to get Dana, we got to get her.
Speaker 2: So thanks for having me. You're awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It was great talking to you. You too. Have a good day.
Speaker 2: Bye. Bye.
Speaker 1: Teen Beat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fishel. Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo. Producer and editor, Tara Subaksh. The theme song is by Mark Hoppus. Yes, that Mark Hoppus. Follow us on Instagram at teenbeatpod.