Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central Now.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central.
Speaker 3: It's America's only sorts for news. This is the daily joke with your home Daisy line.
Speaker 4: I'm daddy lighting.
Speaker 5: You've got so much to talk about tonight, the United States invades the United States, America chooses who they want to live with in the Maga divorce, and Trump has an escalation that lasts longer than four hours.
Speaker 4: Let's get into the headlines.
Speaker 5: By now, you've probably seen all the protest footage out of LA in the wake of Trump's immigration sweeps. But despite what you're seeing on the news, keep in mind that most of the protesters have come with more of a chill so cow vibe, dancing, playing music, and unleashing these devastating projectiles or police. So there's definitely a chance that this can all be resolved peacefully as long as nobody escalates this thing with an unnecessary show of force.
Speaker 2: Will be a President Trump mobilizing two thousand California National Guard troops against the will of the state's governor. President Trump ordered the deployment of two thousand more California National Guard troops, making for a total of four thousand now making the unprecedented move of dispatching seven hundred active duty marines to the streets of Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Yes, nothing calms down a situation like a military invasion. In fact, that was part of my birth plan. I was like, honey, I want candles, classical music, and seven hundred armed marines storming the hospital room. Also drugs, lots of drugs, you know it. Scratch that, just the drugs, you know. I'm beginning to wonder if Trump is intentionally trying to escalate this situation because more chaos allows him to portray blue states as centers of crime while positioning himself is a strong man that the country needs to rally around.
Speaker 4: No, that's silly.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he's just doing what's best for everyone. Although deploying soldiers in an American city could put Trump on the wrong side of the law again, there is concern over violating the Possy Comatadas Act.
Speaker 6: The Possi Coomatadas law says that the US military cannot engage in police functions on US soil.
Speaker 5: That's right, posscomatatis. It's a very serious legal principle. So let's hear more about this very serious legal principle.
Speaker 3: Look, I believe strongly in pussycomatatus.
Speaker 5: Indeed, Trump is truly in violation of pussy come in tatas. That's to say nothing of his violations of the Snatch Act. But in all seriousness, this is an extreme measure. The last time pussy come in tatas was used, it was on your mom last name. Another major concern here is that Trump called up the National Guard without permission from Gavin Newsom, governor of California and man with strong opinions about the food and business class.
Speaker 4: But Newsom is hitting back.
Speaker 7: The absurdity of this cannot be understated. There were two thousand National Guard that were quote unquote deployed, of which only three hundred and fifteen actually were mission assigned. Seventeen hundred have no particular role or responsibility.
Speaker 5: This wouldn't be the first time someone went to la looking for a role and couldn't find one. Okay, you listen to me, seventeen hundred troops. You keep following your dreams, you work on your craft, knock down those doors, and most importantly, most importantly, do not go into porn, not go through it, although if you did I've got a great title for youatals there it is so okay. Newsom is lobbing the unfathomable accusation that Trump might make decisions without fully thinking them through. But I'm sure Trump will be the bigger man here.
Speaker 2: Earlier in the day, the President suggesting that it might be a good idea of his borders.
Speaker 3: Are Tom Homan arrested the California governor would job, I think it's great?
Speaker 2: Would ask what crime Newsom has committed to warrant to arrest?
Speaker 7: The President responding, I think is primarily primary crime is running for governor because he's done such a bad job.
Speaker 5: That's a ridiculous statement from Trump. Gavin Newsom's primary crime is obviously his podcast.
Speaker 4: And even if.
Speaker 5: Newsom wasn't good at his job, being a bad governor doesn't mean you should get arrested.
Speaker 4: It means you should be mayor of New York.
Speaker 5: So well, Newsom and Trump fight each other, Los Angeles is becoming a battleground for their rivalry.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 5: It's a hard story to turn away from, especially when some of these reporters are real easy.
Speaker 4: On the eyes.
Speaker 2: It is entirely possible that by the end of today we will.
Speaker 5: See nearly five thousand combined California National Guard and Marines deployed here in southern California.
Speaker 3: They can see how.
Speaker 5: Much smoke is being deployed on the other side by the lapd oh, I'm definitely saying a smoke show. Someone should really hose that down. Excuse me, are you with CBS, because I'd like to watch that ass for sixty minutes. These jokes were brought to you by the female gaze.
Speaker 4: The female gaze.
Speaker 5: It's not creepy because we're girls. So that's basically where we're at right now. Trump's terrible policy has generated a huge backlash, which he's responded to by overreacting, which is going to generate another backlash. We don't know how this is going to end, but at least we know it'll be a huge waste of money.
Speaker 3: Defense Secretary p.
Speaker 5: Hagschaf says the deployment of the State National Guarden Marines will cost at least one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 3: Four million dollars.
Speaker 8: He expects the deployments to last at least sixty days.
Speaker 5: Hello, Doge, I found some cuts for you.
Speaker 4: Can you put your mom on the phone?
Speaker 5: Teamagers Jesus Now, A sixty day deployment is a very long time for these soldiers, especially if they don't have a lot to do. Not to mention, it's going to make for a very weird Ken Burns documentary.
Speaker 9: My Dearest Susie all right from the not at all war torn Whole Foods parking lot on Fairfax and third across from the Grove. On previous tours, I witnessed awful carnage. But today I did a celebrity home tour. I saw Kelsey Grammar's house, loved him in down periscope. How I long for the taste of your home cooking. I tried the Haley Beaber smoothie from Heroin. I posted a picture of it on my Insta, but I only got twelve locks. Sadly, last night we lost Johnny. He caught the improv bug and signed with UTA. At night we sleep on the floor. Secretary Hegseth was going to book hotel rooms, but he blacked out and forgot.
Speaker 3: I miss you, my dear Susie.
Speaker 9: I pray this war end soon, but not too soon for I have Friday night reservations at Noble.
Speaker 1: The Marines podcast Friday Monmass if you don't go away, well, then mac only.
Speaker 5: So the few in between President Trump and Elon Musk has been going on for almost a week now, but it's only getting started because yesterday that caddy bitch Trump was asked about Elon again. So take off your earrings everyone, because this is going to get ugly.
Speaker 3: Do you think Elon Musk ever had drugs here at the White House? I really don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I hope not. Look, I wish him well.
Speaker 2: You understand we had a good relationship, and I just wish him well very well.
Speaker 4: Actually, wait, what.
Speaker 5: You wish him well? I don't want to hear that weak ass shit. This is a post reunion behavior. I want pre reunion behavior. What does this mean is the feud over?
Speaker 6: Maybe there's this potential softening of the feud that erupted over the Big Beautiful Bill when Musk called it an abomination. Musk posted this reply to President Trump's post, It's a heart emoji. Read into that what you will.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's not over because a single heart emoji is actually some passive aggressive shit, which you know if you're gen z like me, don't google it. The single heart is the lowercase k of emojis. Trust me with this kind of crash out, Elon ate and left no crumbs, facts, no cap short king, I'm very young again, don't google it. So who do Americans really support when it comes to Trump versus musk our own, Grace Coolinschmidt and Josh Johnson hit the streets to find out what started.
Speaker 10: Out as a romance is now.
Speaker 4: Ending in tragedy.
Speaker 2: Two billionaires and.
Speaker 10: It's actually not us this time.
Speaker 3: No, it's crazy.
Speaker 8: Two billionaires are having a public few and if.
Speaker 10: This were a custody battle, America is the child caught in between.
Speaker 2: Who will ignore our needs the most?
Speaker 4: Who will remember our birthday?
Speaker 2: There's only one thing left to do. It's time to pick a side.
Speaker 8: Oh, I can go whichever are you?
Speaker 10: Team Trump or Team Elon? Oh?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 3: Neither really looks like a knife and a knife.
Speaker 10: I'll give you a userer question. Douchebagger, pedophile?
Speaker 3: Neither neither.
Speaker 4: That's no way.
Speaker 10: How about Trump? All right?
Speaker 5: I mean Trump's in charge of everything.
Speaker 10: M Eon should keep his mouth shut. Team Trump or Team Elonniger.
Speaker 8: I appreciate Elon saying what he's saying, and I feel like Elon.
Speaker 4: Might help be the bridge.
Speaker 2: I used to be tim Ellon, but now it's like.
Speaker 10: Tracy, what do you think Elon did? That was so crazy that you said I'm no longer team Elon.
Speaker 2: Twining all that stuff feels very crazy.
Speaker 10: But to you, Trump tweets like a normal human being. I guess have you been following the drama between Trump and Elon? No, not at all. All right, I'll explain it to you. We have Elon, who's actually and I did some research, a billionaire. He makes cars and and he has a lot of money, which is kind of what billionaire means. I have something in common with my friends, and so it makes sense that they have become friends. And basically then so someone got mad at someone and it's hard to remember.
Speaker 4: They both have money, and who doesn't love that?
Speaker 10: And Epstein is an island he was an island owner, and some other stuff perhaps as well. So can you make a decision now, even though I just give you so much information?
Speaker 1: So good?
Speaker 10: So I'll put you down as a socialist.
Speaker 8: What if it really came to blows in person?
Speaker 3: Who you got?
Speaker 8: You think Trump beating Musk? So you know, Elon showed up to the White House.
Speaker 2: Of the Black eye.
Speaker 8: Yeah he is, he said his five year old punch stone. So basically, in this fight, if it ever comes down to it, Trump needs to train to reach the level of a five year old.
Speaker 10: I don't think Trump's beating anybody when you were still to be so for child.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 10: Because the press is too nervous to ask something like this, between Donald Trump and Elon Musk, which one has the bigger dick?
Speaker 4: No, well, God complex?
Speaker 10: Oh I'm sorry, which one has a bigger what God complex? Yeah? Trump? So what lesson has this taught you about friendship?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 10: I feel like it's taught me that if two billionaires who have been egostroking each other for years can't make it work, what faith do we have in the rest of our friendships of just people with unpaid venmo requests?
Speaker 3: Sounds hopeless?
Speaker 4: Right exactly?
Speaker 8: Is there anything that you think could get them back in each other's good right to strengthen the friendship?
Speaker 4: Give them money back to because if there's.
Speaker 8: One thing someone like Eon needs is money, but he wants more and more money. When things happen, they just run their course.
Speaker 4: It's over and done with, move on.
Speaker 10: So is that your advice maybe for Trump and Elon right now.
Speaker 4: Move on.
Speaker 10: Get Oh there's always an billionaire buddy.
Speaker 3: I say, give them Epstein's island.
Speaker 4: Move Trump and all the nagas to the island.
Speaker 8: I'm actually glad that when I'm billions because nothing el played out friendship.
Speaker 10: Did you just tweak it on on Epstein's list?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was before when I was upset with you.
Speaker 10: You're not coming to Boys Night anymore.
Speaker 8: Yeahs, I'm great when we come back.
Speaker 5: And Ryan Branton Love joining me on this show, I said, I'll go away Love next to Day, My guest tonight is a multi award winning actor who can currently be seen in The Phoenician Scheme and The Studio. His new film is called Everything's Going to Be Great. Please welcome Brian Cranton.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Oh boy.
Speaker 4: I am such an enormous fan of yours. Thank you for being here. Yes, and I'm not the only one, obviously.
Speaker 3: They're just they're just reacting through the applause sign. That's all. They're very they're very obedient.
Speaker 5: We are very controlling when it comes to audience noise.
Speaker 4: This is true.
Speaker 5: You are in so many incredible projects right now. I actually had to write them all down just to keep track of them.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I just forgive me the scroll.
Speaker 10: Is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything's going to be great.
Speaker 5: The Phoenician Scheme, The Studio, All My Sons, Malcolm in the Middle, Reboot, Breaking Bad, The College Years, Brian Cranston's searching for Stanley Tucci as he searches for Italy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he went missing.
Speaker 4: He went missing, and you had to go find him.
Speaker 5: Breaking Bread, The Walter White Baking Shows.
Speaker 2: It's a bake off with a secret ingredient. We won't say what if it's a blue ingredient, but I'm not saying what it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think we have an idea. It goes totally off the rails. Trumbo too electric, Trumbloo.
Speaker 3: I'm on roller skates this time.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited for that one. You this isn't you really? You have so many That's okay, We're done with that prop now.
Speaker 3: It was good though. It was good.
Speaker 5: So when you play such an iconic character like Walter White, so many actors have a really hard time doing something other than that because audiences have to get used to them seeing them playing different roles.
Speaker 10: But not for you.
Speaker 5: It feels like every role that you play. You play it like it is tailor made for you. No one else can do it. So how do you how do you even go about like transitioning from role to role?
Speaker 3: Well, I have a scroll that helps me descrub but.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: What was hard was going from Malcolm in the Middle for seven years playing this silly goofy dad in underwear like kids would wear, and then trying to get the job on Breaking Bad. It's a little different character, and this is true. The people at AMC and Sony were saying, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. You want the guy from Malcolm in the Middle to be Walter White. No, no, you know, And so it was we had to convince them that that's what actors do.
Speaker 5: There's an interest. I love this story that you tell about getting that job. How that how one job?
Speaker 10: On?
Speaker 5: Is it the X Files that Vince wrote on? Yes, And you had no idea would ever lead to that opportunity.
Speaker 2: You never do as an actor. You're just looking for work anywhere you can because you have bills to pay.
Speaker 3: I had a young family and.
Speaker 2: Acting pictures and resumes and all that, right, and the offer came into audition for the X Files and I happened to get it.
Speaker 3: Okay, great. I worked on the X Files.
Speaker 2: And then ten years later, after Malcolm in the Middle, I get this call that Vince Gilligan from He's doing this new show called Breaking Bad.
Speaker 3: Do you remember him? I said?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 3: Do you know? He said? He wrote X Files? Do you remember him? Now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I love it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I had to go in and really sell myself that I was the guy, you know to do this job, and he was my champion to get it.
Speaker 3: And that's what you need.
Speaker 2: You need someone who believes in your talent and believes in you and can support you on your way through.
Speaker 3: You need those breaks.
Speaker 4: He remembered you because you left an impression.
Speaker 3: I peed on his rug, and that's how do you do so as you do, I left my scent.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, and it worked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You you talk about doing a lot of extra work as you were coming up. I also did a lot of extra It's how I got my SAG card.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Which is what was the first role that you had that actually had a name.
Speaker 2: Well, if you if you don't call drunken frat boy a name, is that not a name or is that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: I was drunken frat boy. I did Baywatch, I did anything.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean yeah.
Speaker 4: My first role with a name was QT Number two.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, and I threw my brawl at Chris Evans. You know, a very silly movie. I don't know what they're clapping for.
Speaker 3: Classy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really classy. If you see him, could you ask.
Speaker 2: If he still has Yeah, I'll get it back.
Speaker 4: I could use it.
Speaker 5: The Phoenicians game. This is your third Wes Anderson is Yeah. I feel like with Wes Anderson movies, you see one frame and you know it's a Wes Anderson film. That's right, so hyper specific about the visuals and aesthetic.
Speaker 4: What is it like to be directed by him?
Speaker 3: He is a sweetheart of a man, he really is.
Speaker 2: He's and that's why everybody wants to work with him, because he has such a clear vision.
Speaker 3: He's a true auteur.
Speaker 2: And like the trust exercise that we all took in acting one on one, where you fall back into your partner's arms and you realize, I need to trust the people I work with, we all trust him. When we read his script. It is very dense and sometimes confusing because it's so involved. So he makes a cartoon. What he calls a cartoon is an animatic. He does the animation for in the full hour and a half long of the entire movie, and he voices all the characters, and then he he voices every single character, and then he says, here, this might make more sense to you. And so you're watching the whole movie play out, and you hear his voice do your character, and you realize, oh, that's what he wants me to do somewhere out there, and so you go searching out there to see if you can capture you know, like a like a like a firefly.
Speaker 3: That's how it feels like.
Speaker 2: You're you know, you're trying to hunt down something that makes makes it familiar to you.
Speaker 4: That sounds so time consuming and very expensive.
Speaker 2: Actually, he doesn't pay his actors very much, so it's actually too Yeah.
Speaker 4: You heard that, You're first.
Speaker 5: This I Had the Studio is my favorite show this year. It is so so funny, and watching those, especially those final two episodes with you in it has me thinking you are the You have the most range of any actor known to me.
Speaker 3: That applause sign is amazing, so good, so good. I've got to get that for home man. Yeah, just like that.
Speaker 5: You play this insane movie mogul, this ceo of a studio, and there are all the I don't want to give anything away, but there are all of these wonners, these giant, epically long takes, and you're doing all this crazy physical comedy.
Speaker 4: How do you rehearse for something like that?
Speaker 3: Rehearse? Well, we do it.
Speaker 2: We do about fifteen sixteen, eighteen times, and we get it fluid and really well done. And then once you get your lines out, then uh seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg they said, you know, say whatever you want. So you're thinking of lines you can throw out there and pitching ideas. And I know there was a I was in the tenth episode. I'm hugging a statue out in Las Vegas on the strip, and I'm I'm orally copulating this statue, which was a choice I made that I now regret.
Speaker 5: Sometimes. I think sometimes you got to blow someone to get that ammy.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's that's a good point.
Speaker 4: I think it's bound to happen.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. Yeah, good point. And it reminds me of my youth.
Speaker 4: Everything's going to be great.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 10: Please?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 4: There's one movie we need right now, and I'm sure it shit, Hope.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I can confidently say it, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. That's beautiful and it's so funny, and I'm curious this is about you play Buddy Smart, a struggling regional theater producer with your wife Alice and Janny are raising these two teenage boys.
Speaker 4: I'm curious.
Speaker 5: I learned in your book that you come from an entertainment family. Your parents were actors. Your dad was someone who hung onto his dream and never wanted to let go. Were you inspired by your family dynamic or your father at all for this role.
Speaker 2: Yes, And we're always learning from our parents. And I think my dad made some mistakes and he always wanted to be a star. That was so important to him, and it didn't happen, and it hurt him really bad, and consequently then hurt the family a lot and broke up the fam. It was ugly in many cases. And I learned from that thinking why be a star? No, I just want to be able to make a living. If I can make a living as an actor, that is my success story, and that's what I want. And so this I was a third generation actor. My daughter is the fourth generation actor. I'm so proud of her. She's playing a Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like she's on the pit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she plays she plays.
Speaker 2: Doctor mel King on the pit and she is doing She's such a beautiful actor.
Speaker 3: And she's in it for all the right reasons.
Speaker 2: And it's like, I'm I can't, I can't be more proud of.
Speaker 4: She learned from the bat.
Speaker 5: You're about to head to the West End to London to do all my sons, I am yeah. Are you are you inspired by wanting to do that play? Or do you just feel like now might be a great time to cool your heels in Europe for a bit.
Speaker 3: Now, everything's gonna be great. Everything's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Everything's gonna be great, gonna be great. I you know, as a theater rat, I can't stay away from the theater long. It's exhausting because I tend to choose damaged characters that I'm most attracted to. And every time you go to the theater and perform, it's like a gut punch and you like, oh my god, why am I doing this? And you you're so exhausted and yet so exhilarated and there's a relationship what you have with this great audience.
Speaker 3: You have a relationship with them.
Speaker 2: You say something, they react, And that's like doing live theater. I feel you when you're in my in my theater and we're performing. The difference is you have to come up with new material, right every day, to the same audience. All I have to do the same material to a new audience. So it's the same responsibility, just in reverse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're here to entertain, that's right.
Speaker 2: And so when you do a show one hundred and seventy five times the same material every single night, but to a new audience. The motivation for you is to say they paid good money, they deserve to hear a story. That's my responsibility. I'm going to give you the best damn story I can give you, and then you haven't.
Speaker 5: Ye know, well, I think I think the important takeaway from this interview is that Brian Cranston and I are exactly the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, eac, we are the same exactly.
Speaker 5: The same level, same, same same, No, you are in absolute delight.
Speaker 4: Thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Everything here.
Speaker 1: My grant will be a collect letter, unny, Frank, We'll be right back after me.
Speaker 8: That's the show Play with the pony though.
Speaker 4: Tired of complaining about who's running things. We are too, and we'ren't paid to do it.
Speaker 5: But maybe it's time you take matters into your own hands and be the leader you've been waiting for. Just check out the link below to learn more from our friends at Headcount about running for office and find out if you can do any better than the current folks. Guess what I bet you can now Here it is your moment of zen, the posse Comatitis.
Speaker 8: Act, Possy Comitatus Act, Possy comatatis, posse commitatus.
Speaker 2: Act, Posi comatadis, possi comatitis, the posse Comatatus Act, Look I Believe Strongly and pussy commentatas.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 7: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 3: This has been a Comedy Central podcast