Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. I'm that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy, you want to be happy for Dake Edith state is that?
Speaker 1: Whoo whoom? And now then and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal. Boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand. Joining me is always over there back in New York City, my man Dan Ruberstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: Is this one of the latest solid verbals we've ever recorded outside of a post national championship situation?
Speaker 1: Wow? It is nine to forty Eastern time on my clock right now. It's certainly one of the later shows world. Man, we don't usually stay up this late on.
Speaker 2: A school night, so this will either go to a punchy place or hopefully you're listening to this as you go asleep and we just drift off with you to coast.
Speaker 1: Figured i'd give you a little extra pause there. Yeah, for sure. No, I like that.
Speaker 2: I like the runway you gave me. No, it is certainly one of the later shows we've done, and I'm actually pretty happy about it because I was able to fill my belly, so I can't I can't say I'm hungry went to You've never been to this place? I don't think Prince Street Pizza in Manhattan in New York, I have not. It's the best square slice in New York. Nice, it totally completely has went there with our pal Andy Staples. He's in town for the SI NFL Draft Show. I'm also participating in this live NFL Draft show. If you happen to be listening to this Thursday, whatever tomorrow's date is, what the twenty fifth, twenty fifth, Yeah, seven thirty eight o'clock, tune on into SI now on the Twitter feed or their YouTube channeled. I think it's gonna be in a bunch of places. Facebook, you know how it works, So all I'm social media. I'm going to be cooking food with Andy Staples. And when people like Daniel Jones or Drew Locke are drafted, and we'll the ones to say, well, here's the thing about those two guys.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, not like the greatest college and somebody, yeah, can speak truth with the power, because the Giants are totally drafting Daniel Jones and it's gonna bother.
Speaker 2: Me, but it's oh, that's gonna be a rough pick. If that happens, that's gonna happen. Everybody's listening to this after the facts, Oh yeah, wow, what a what a pick? It's gonna happen. Man, I can field in my bones. I'm sorry that take exists within your brain.
Speaker 1: I no, wow, I can't get rid of it.
Speaker 2: We have a special show tonight, though. We have a special show tonight.
Speaker 1: So, as we said last week, we're not going to do the thing where we invite a draftnick on the program and say who's going to go third in the draft. A lot of folks do that. There's nothing wrong with doing that. We have done that for umpteen years running now. But the problem with that is nobody really wants to go on the record with where guys are going to get drafted because they know the overwhelming majority of their predictions will be rendered moot in the span of about three hours. So this year we're gonna go at it a little bit differently. We're going to try and peel back the curtain after the fact, do a bit of a draft retrospective with a special guest that we're excited about. So well, we'll do that at some point. Yeah, over the next couple weeks after the draft actually goes through and is complete for tonight though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, there's a lot after that. Like, I am very curious about you hear about Nick Saban opening up, you know, rolling out the red carpet for NFL scouts, because why wouldn't he You know, it looks great when Alabama produces all these NFL players. I'm curious the relationship and how scouts operate within the college football world. I think that's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Tonight, we're doing hot takes, Dan, We're doing hot takes now for those who have listened to the program since two thousand and eight when we first got this whole operation started. Neither you nor I are particularly hot Takesie. This isn't like Wip and Philly, Okay. We're trying to do a show that entertains from the college football perspective, but at the same time offers real factual insight into what's going on, sometimes better than others.
Speaker 2: Also a fashion advice for husky gentlemen, don't forget that that's a corner that is part of our show. Thanks to Andy, tonight.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get a little bit more controversial than usual. If you want to call it that, we're going to kick it up or not kick it up a little bit. A little bit here, I've got some other sounds that we might play, depending on the spiciness of the take. We did go out on Twitter at saliverbo where of course you can always find us and follow us and join the log and all the college football fun. We did a little bit of crowdsource seem to see what other hot takes may exist in the college football world. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't even know if our takes are nearly well. We had envisioned giving our twenty nineteen takes when we were doing our haphazard planning of this show, and then you opened it up to the verballers out there the VERBALI sphere, sure, and I think theirs are better. I mean, they went in back in time. It was like nineteen ninety three Virginia was a fraud, and I was like, wait, huh, hold on, Wikipedia, help me out here. But they they're all over the place, and I almost think going through the should we like devise a spice level for these these takes or something like should there be mild, medium, hot and then atomic or like Jay Paterno's take HD.
Speaker 1: When I go to the Thai restaurant down the road here, before I order my pad tie with chicken.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a creative order, I know. Oh my gosh, look at this guy. It's okay, don't be straight out at shang my here.
Speaker 1: Whenever I go to the tie restaurant, they ask me level of spice on a scale from one to five, and so I guess we could we could approach it like that. I usually go too. For those of you wondering, I do have some other sounds here that we could play as well, if we want to go through some of the ones that we got from the internet as well as some of the ones that we put together on our own. I'll agree with you that they aren't quite as good as some of the ones that I saw coming through on the Twitter sphere. But at the same time, I have some predictions, I guess some takes for the twenty nineteen season that I'd be willing to discuss as well.
Speaker 2: All right, let's save that for the end. Let's just go through here in a very random fashion and just evaluate people's takes. Are you good?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready? Okay, what do we got?
Speaker 2: Tua is slightly overrated.
Speaker 1: To a tongue of Iloa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this comes to us from a a Georgia fan. I know you're shocked to hear that. Sure, Actually, I think Jake fromm is very good, but Tua is slightly overrated. I don't know what the collective rating of him is. I think he's excellent.
Speaker 1: Tua last season, yeah, completed sixty nine percent of his passes and finished with forty three touchdowns and six interceptions. I'm not going to pretend that he didn't play on one of the best teams in college football. Of course he did. He had a ton of support around him. But on the heels of what he did in the National championship game against Georgia, that game, you remember that game, that second half game, I do on the heels of him doing that to come out this past season was a little nicked up down the stretch. It is really really difficult for me to call that person overrated. Forty three touchdowns to six interceptions is a hell of a year. I don't care who you are.
Speaker 2: Twenty fourteen TCU would have won the National championship had they made the playoff. If you remember, this is the fifty one to forty eight year with Baylor.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So the twenty fourteen TCU team, Trevon Boykin I believe was their starting quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: Do they make and win? I don't think they're beating Ohio State, Probably don't. I don't even think they're beating God, are they beating sims Alabama? I don't think they are.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. That was a really good TCU team. Though.
Speaker 2: It was a really good TCU team. They finished. This twenty fourteen TCU team finished with the I'm going by S and P plus here, ninth overall S and P seventeenth offense, thirteenth defense. I think that's good. That Alabama team was still excellent. The Ohio State team was so strong, and the best quarterback in the country was at Oregon that year. The hes winning the heis winning QB and Marcus Mariota. I just I don't see it.
Speaker 1: Nah, Well, you mentioned TCU and that joke.
Speaker 2: I think that's I think it's a one point five out of five, one point five out of five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll give it the Emerald. This was a little much, A little bit ill would have been. You mentioned TCU and I want to link that up with another take that I saw coming through. We had a couple of these referencing a per motion slash relegation system in college football. How do you feel about that? Now? Of course, it's hypothetical, completely theoretical. Would drop a nuclear bomb on the existing system of college football, would effectively end the sport as we know it and spawn something new. How do you feel about that.
Speaker 2: Well, you'd have to change everything. You'd have to the conferences wouldn't exist in the same way. TV deals wouldn't be structured. I'm talking about this from like an actual reality point of view. I'm totally fine with it. I am totally fine with it from a competitive standpoint, because each conference has two to three schools who, if they're not dedicated to football, the people running those schools have no clue as to how to build and sustain even Bowl eligible ish programs, and so it's a waste of everybody's time. And not that it doesn't happen in other sports. The bottom of the NBA isn't all that good. The bottom of baseball we have teams tanking. I guess in baseball now that there are teams that are just inept and it's a waste of everybody's time, especially when we have now a good handful of G five schools who would compete week in and week out. I'm not saying win conferences, but would compete and be interesting and play. You know, they had they run styles on offense and defense that are interesting watches and would give us something better than Kansas, Oregon State, Rutgers, the past couple of years of North Carolina. It is just Louisville from last year where you're just tuning in, You're like, oh cool, it's forty seven to three at halftime. I just I want no part of that being a part of our ecosystem. I want as many good games as possible. And that is a way that if we were to completely upend everything, that would be four.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it solves three problems. So what we're talking about when we talk about promotion and relegation, by the way, Yeah, to give you the abridged description of what this is, it's like English soccer where they've got several divisions. The best teams are in the top division, the Premier League. The bottom I guess would be League Two. But a certain number of teams that finish a top their respective divisions get promoted to the division above, whereas the bottom three or bottom two I forget the exact number get relegated down to the division below. So it gives everyone some impetus to try and win their division. It certainly makes things interesting come the end of the year, I think, within a college football sense, And of course this would never happen, but it would solve three problems. If you're a team like a North Texas. We like North Texas, they're on the right track, but North Texas is in technically the same division if you will, as Alabama, they will never get a shot at the same trophy as Alabama. And effectively they are competing, of course for a conference championship. But beyond on that really a consolation prize, maybe to just get one sip from that chalice of the new year six excuse me. It would give a team like that a chance to play up, to build themselves up, to get promoted to as high division as possible, and maybe give someone like a Seth latrelle more impetus to stick around to ride this thing out to see if you get his team built up into a higher division. It also partially would solve the issue of unbalanced schedules, and I say unbalanced from the perspective of some teams playing really difficult schedules, other teams playing more cream puffs. If they're all playing each other with indivision, that sort of solves at least one of the issues we have within college football now. And then the final point here very quickly, is it decouples promotion as we understand it from conference realignment, which is when you mentioned TCU. That's what jogged my memory. TCU effectively got promoted in the current system due to being accepted by the Big Twelve. They can now play for that highest trophy because they're in the Big Twelve. I don't like the fact that it's set up the way it's set up, and that a team like a North Texas will never have a shot at that trophy because they're not in a Power five. So interesting topic. Certainly hypothetical, very theoretical, will never happen, but I am a huge proponent and a fan of that idea.
Speaker 2: You get a one wayland Frank Nick Saban has won his last national championship.
Speaker 1: Wow wow.
Speaker 2: So the evidence to that is one it's incredibly difficult to win a national championship two Clemson and Georgia talent wise, along with arguably Ohio State, although it's a different story with a new coach, so it's hard to say that, you know, everybody's on the same page. Everything is simpatico. But Georgia and Clemson are arguably surpassing, if not on that same level, and somehow have a little bit more momentum and juice on the recruiting field, even if Alaba is still pulling in ridiculous class.
Speaker 1: Hold on one second, Yeah, Georgia is surpassing Alabama.
Speaker 2: Talent wise, not results wise. Yes, what Georgia has done these past couple of years, Yeah, I don't know if they're at those classes. You gotta do it consistently, year in and year out. For totally with you. I'm telling you right now, there are people who smart, people not me, not you, who are saying things. They're whispering tie, Georgia is there, and if they're not there, they're right behind them, slimmest of margins, with the possibility when you look at certain position groups and how deep they've become at them, that they're they're inching ahead.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, they're they're on the right track, and we.
Speaker 2: Has Nick Saban won his last national championship? Is that a spy y take.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's too spicy. It's not level five spicy. It's at least a three and a half. Though.
Speaker 2: He's been attrition proof this long, with his coaches leaving year in a year out. But that doesn't last forever. It doesn't last forever. The question is how much longer is he going to coach.
Speaker 1: I did see that he had a hip replacement and he went back to work pretty much to the next day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean hip replacements. My mother in law had one of those, and she bounced back real quick too. I don't think it's all that uncommon to recover pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: However, it really does speak to the work ethic of Nick Saban. He clearly still enjoys the job. It's something he enjoys doing. I don't think he's won his last national championship. I think there is enough talent there to sustain him for some period of time. After what we saw last year with the Clemson loss, they're still clearly going to have a shot at this thing. They're probably going to be back in the playoff in twenty twenty. So I am optimistic, especially with Tuatunga via Loa, that they're going to be back in that game before long and have another crack at it.
Speaker 2: Here is my rebuttal the two thousand and nine Texas team, and I think somebody actually had to take along these lines, like if col McCoy doesn't get hurt, if yeah, this is Robert Larkin, if col McCoy wasn't injured in the Rose bult Texas, the stains of dynasty that mirrors Alabama over the last decade. I don't know how that makes care Gilbert better, but okay, is I think there's a possibility that the manner in which Alabama lost was deflating to the point where it's going to be tough to recover, not to win eleven games this year, not even to win the SEC. I think that's all a more than reasonable bet. But I think there is going to be, if it hasn't already happened, a turn point where they were just unable to sustain momentum and just being drilled in the National Championship Game in front of the world to see qualifies as that. I'm not saying it is. I'm saying it qualifies as potentially that because that was a huge, huge night and potentially a huge shift in the power structure of the sport. I'm kind of on board with this. I don't think this is the hottest take actually, because I think there's truth behind it.
Speaker 1: I understand where people are coming from with that take. But it's how many times before has the alb the dynasty been dead.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's dead. I'm saying this is not as hot as it might intend on its surface.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me give you one of my own that this is a spicy one. And we've talked about it before. I realize in light of the tweet, we may have some new listeners to this program. Yeah, this is one of those things that every time I bring it up, you tell me I'm nuts. Every time I bring it up, other people besides you also tell me I'm nuts.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with the old fumble out of the end zone equaling a touchback rule. Why I have zero problems with that?
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: My theory is this, not every rule in the game of football is uniformly applied, especially when you're talking about the end zone. If you intentionally ground the football normally, it's a loss of down unless it's in the end zone, then it's a safety.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If you hold normally, it's ten yards, except when it's in the end zone, it's safety. Correct to safety, you can actually fumble the football, Dan, You can fumble the football as long as you maintain possession long enough to get the nose of the ball over the line, right, then it's six points. Anywhere else in the field that's a fumble, but down to the goal line six points. When we get down to the end zone, the rules are treated a little bit differently, but.
Speaker 2: It just feels more like you understand why a penalty understand zone is two points. I get there's something that is that makes sense about that ruling that it's it's arbitrary because you could have just as easily say, let's move you back to the twenty, let's move you back to the ten. Let's move you back five yards behind where you fumbled it there. It's it's just an arbitrary decision as to change possession.
Speaker 1: The end zone. Daniel just means more okay, And to that, I say, hold on to the ball if you want to score.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're wrong for holding this position, but I think you have to sort of say, well, rules little arbitrary.
Speaker 1: Oh I get it, I get that, but I'm okay with it. In its present state.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety four Penn State would hang fifty a ninety four Nebraska. They would have won the head to head. Come holy, Now that's a deep cut, right, So is that Carrie Collins cause John Carter.
Speaker 1: That was a good team.
Speaker 2: They beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep. They beat Achille Smith, Your boy.
Speaker 2: Kyle Brady, Yeah, my boy, Achille Smith. You we got Carrie, got, Bobby Ingram yeh, Joe Jura Vicious?
Speaker 1: How about it? Man?
Speaker 2: I think the depth of that Nebraska team was so scary, and that that specific system. I know you're not a triple option guy, Ty, but when that thing was rolling, whoo, I'd take I would I would put it at Thebraska minus five and a half and I would lay those points.
Speaker 1: Tommy Frasier is one of the all time great college football players. Yeah, tough sell for me. That's a spicy take. I'd say, Okay, what else you got coming in?
Speaker 2: We had one for that that was extreme. That's a four out of five, because I don't think that's happening. But whatever, what.
Speaker 1: Did we get from our friend Joel Klatt? Dan?
Speaker 2: Oh? Here we go up at the top one? The game clock should not stop for first downs outside of the last two minutes of each half.
Speaker 1: Are you do you?
Speaker 2: I go back and forth. Do you think college football game should be quicker? I don't know. I like college football. I'm okay with it the way it is the only time where it's rough to me. And this is just you know, happenstance. You get like old cal Wazoo. You get a double air raid matchup kicking off at ten thirty and you're asking me, this is Eastern time. You're asking me to stay up until three am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a tough ask.
Speaker 2: That's a rough ask. But beyond that, with the clock stopping, with everything, what is what.
Speaker 1: Is the issue with games taking as long as they do.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think people just want to move on to the next game. They just want to see they want to see the action more condensed.
Speaker 1: Because we've been doing this for a while, I find it very rarely that people come to us, either at a live show or through email. However, and say, you know, I'd really like college but more if the games were quicker.
Speaker 2: Right. The rent is too damn high. The games are too damn.
Speaker 1: Long most of the time. And I'm not saying I'm against games that move quicker, but I'm just saying the argument for the quicker game has never really landed with me most of the time. Like you said, people would just want to move on to watch other college football games, right, Usually Saturday is devoted to college football.
Speaker 2: To be fair, Joel Clyde is the one who needs to find time to pee during these long games, as he is an analyst in the booth. And I don't know how long commercial breaks are, but like if you if you were given two minutes flat where not only did you have to be back, you know, at your desk, so to speak, but you had to be on the air and talking and having high energy. Do you think you could make that work two minutes going for probably a sizeable pe.
Speaker 1: You would think he's drinking water up there to keep Yeah, of course that's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 2: Do you think you would be able to immediately zip and go and then on a dime turn like you're talking about like your your what your twenty yard cone drill. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's where Joel's coming from. Secretly with this.
Speaker 1: I could probably I could probably pull that off seventy percent of the time.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a spit bucket? I want to know this now because there's a lot of people who say you shouldn't drink a lot of water before you go to bed so you don't wake up in the middle of the night, right, Do you think they're drinking water up there? I mean, I guess you have a longer commercial break between quarters, but you're not yourself if you got ants in your pants, tie nor. I think there's some truth behind that. Number two ineligible man downfield should be a one yard barrier, not three yards. So this is sort of an anti RPO stance, and I get it. I get it, but I like RPOs. I mean, you're just making an NFL rules at this point. Yeah, the ACC and SEC should play nine conference games.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Well, we get a lot of you know, by the end of the season by November. There are a lot of comparisons. Okay, does Alabama deserve to be number one? Should be Ohio State, should it be USC? Should it be Oklahoma whoever usc That was a joke, ty, I just threw that one in there to see if people were paying attention. It generally seems to even out a lot of those top schools that we end up comparing schedule pretty well out of conference. They're not, you know, Baylor from twenty twelve or something. Alabama's scheduled magnificently well, LSUS scheduled terrifically well. Georgia a great schedule these past few years. For the most part, Clemson is scheduled up with what Texas A and M and Georgia like. These teams are scheduling pretty well, especially at the top, because they know that by the end of the year, resumes are going to be a conversation. So I haven't really found myself thinking this, this sort of sucks that they're only playing eight conference games because they can get away with it because people show up to their games and people watch their games on TV even when they're playing the Citadel, even when they're playing Prairie View A and M whatever, and so I guess it would be better, but I don't really see the case for why they should.
Speaker 1: If that makes any sense, Dan, You know what can be really frustrating.
Speaker 2: Oh so many things. I want you to be specific, especially if you're in a hurry.
Speaker 1: If you're running late, you find yourself stuck at a railway crossing and you're waiting for a train. You ever have that happen, was just there a few minutes ago, And if the signals are going the train's not even there yet, you feel tempted to maybe try and make it across the tracks mm HM. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration NITZA says, don't ever try that, Please don't. Trains are going a lot faster than you think, and they can't stop. Even if the engineer hits the brakes. They can take a train I don't know, like over a mile to stop. By that time, what used to be your car is a hunk of junk, and what used to be you You get the picture. The point is, you can't ever know how quickly the train's going to arrive, how long it's going to take the stop, even if it sees you don't tempt disaster. If the signals are on, the trains on its way and you just need to remember one thing, you gotta stop because the trains can't. That's a safety message from our friends over at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Also this show brought to you in part by our good friends Dan. Just give me your rule of life. What is it?
Speaker 2: You're only as comfortable as your feet.
Speaker 1: Bombas b on them bas dot com. If you're like Dan and I, you think about your socks often throughout the course of the day. Why not discover the socks that change the way you'll think about socks forever. They're called Bombas. We have untless pairs of Bombus by now. They've been a longtime sponsor of the show. We like their style, their comfort, their quality. They've got a great mission where they will donate a pair for every pair bought because socks are one of the most asked for items in homeless shelters. Not only are you getting great socks, you're contributing to a great cause as well. The most comfortable socks in the history of feet, super soft, natural cotton. Every pair comes with art support, a seamless toe, a cushion footbed that's comfy but not too thick. They've got colors, patterns, length, styles, everything you need to either look good at the gym, at the office, like me or if you're going on out of town and as I said, for every pair you purchase, they're going to donate a pair to someone in need. Go to Bombus Bombas dot com slash Solid today you're going to get twenty percent off your first purchase. That's bom bas dot Com slash Solid twenty percent off Bombas dot Com slash Solid. Believe me, you try these out, you're gonna love them. You're gonna wear them all over the place. Go out and buy your bombas and then write to us on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Ty. We have a hot take here that I think is magnificent.
Speaker 1: What do we got?
Speaker 2: Bama doesn't want that? UMass smoke Mike low Copo locopo. Okay, this has this brings something up in my brain.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: If you were to rank Alabama diehard fansy one through however many Alabama football fans there are in this world, So say there are ten million Alabama fans. Okay, Number one is the most diehard Alabama fan his or her life, fully dedicated to Alabama football, calling into radio shows, on every single message board, posters on their walls, their you know, clippings, everywhere they live eat Alabama.
Speaker 1: So we're talking our friend Adam Abdullah from ESPN Radio Chicago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, somebody like that, okay, And so that that person is number one and you rank them by their diehardiness all the way through ten million? Okay, Okay, how far down would you have to go to find somebody with an equal amount of passion for U MASS Football? So like, is there somebody who is as passionate about U mass Football as the eight millionth most passionate Alabama fan is about Alabama?
Speaker 1: Like? Who is the Harvey Updyke of UNE football? And where would he rank on that?
Speaker 2: How far down do you have to go.
Speaker 1: On the Alabama side?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, where you're just like somebody was just fricking pumped about the Mark Whipple era. They're like, this is the guy. How far down would you have to go? I maybe even percentage wise, but I'll put it out of ten million.
Speaker 1: You would you probably have to go? I would say at least sixty down in that totem pol.
Speaker 2: So six million ish? Yeah, you think there is somebody as passionate about U Mass Football as the six millionth most passionate Alabama fan?
Speaker 1: I think that's right, That's how I feel. Yeah, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: I tend to think that it's an arbitrary question, but there's somebody out there who has categorized and cataloged everything about UMass football throughout the years.
Speaker 1: That's tremendous that question. Yeah, thank you very much. Here's one that came through. So we did a show. I don't know we do a show every week, but we did a show recently where we talked about where I said specifically that Alex Hornybrook was quote a massive upgrade over James Blackman, and I caught a little bit of flack on Twitter for that, I don't know, caught a little bit of from who I'd rather have quarterback in my team right now. I stay, James Blackman's gonna be broken in half. I stand by the comment. But statistically, when you look at what Hornybrook has done over his career versus what Blackman did in that one extended season that he had as a true freshman, statistically, it's pretty similar statistically speaking, So I get the fact that someone would take umbrage to the massive component of that statement. He may be an upgrade. He certainly provides depth. He's more of a known quantity. We could talk about that on some other show. I'm sure we will as the season gets closer. But the take that I found nestled in that conversation was one particular guy who wrote in to say that he thought Alex Hornybrook the real reason he was leaving Florida State is because he fashions himself at some point in the future as a college football coach, and that the move to Florida State was one that could give him ample opportunity to stay all after his eligibility has expired, so that he can become a GA and so launch his college football coaching career.
Speaker 2: This is not unique to him, and I could imagine that this was something that may have come up when Gardner Minshew, I believe, committed to Alabama from ECU originally that you know, the prospects weren't looking good, at least set yourself up for the future. Rights That to me is not a full stretch.
Speaker 1: I get that it's not a full stretch. In a lot of circumstances. However, Hornybrook was a guaranteed starter at Wisconsin. He was going to be the starting quarterback. He was going to be the starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: You see the guy coming in this year.
Speaker 1: I know he's very I know he's very good.
Speaker 2: You see what Alex horneybro looked like last year.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it. I've made fun of Hornybrook for the last three years. Okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, guaranteed starter week one, Hornybrook.
Speaker 1: Is your guaranteed starter week one to leave that situation to go to another situation where he is potentially a backup, potentially a third stringer who knows it. Just does not seem like this would be one of those situations where he'd want to leave where he was at and go somewhere else because he's trying to set himself up for a coaching career. I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not so far fetched that a college football player is really smart and forward looking. I'm not so far fetched. I don't like Alex Hornibrook probably has a pretty good idea. He's not an NFL quarterback, right, so so not two birds two birds tie.
Speaker 1: I would hope. So. By the way, people are very excited about James Blackman this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, so I hope it works out for him. Where else we go, we got somebody who said that had let's see I want to get the right wording here. If Mississippi State paid Cam's father like Auburn did, they'd have a title right now.
Speaker 1: Ooh, okay, Mississippi State didn't have Nick Fairley on that team. Did they fight?
Speaker 2: They didn't have a make fairly, but this is still a I think they went nine and four, it looks like, including the Bowl win over Michigan. I think that was a Chris Relph team. I remember correctly, it's a pretty Goossissippi State team. Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz. It was his first year there. They let's see, they don't hang with Alabama. They barely lose to a top fifteen Arkansas in double overtime. They comfortably lose to LSU, and they get barely edged out by a Cam Newton Auburn team, which at the very least means early on they were very close to being Auburn. Auburn did not have a particularly good defense that year. Nick Fairley was great.
Speaker 1: That was a ted Roof defense if I remember correctly, which explains a lot, actually.
Speaker 2: Does explain a lot. And the Auburn team around Cam had talent Michael Dyer, Philip Watson, Kirk and there were guys there, but this was not a stacked team. It was a one man team in a lot of ways with Cam Newton. So I actually don't think this is super hot. National championship is a lot to say. A lot goes into that and a lot of variables, and you know, I think Auburn was probably better situated to beat Alabama than Mississippi State team with Cam. But there's some there's some coolness to that. Actually, I don't think it's the spiciest all right, I mean, is is Cam Newton that you're good for winning two more games including he was a lost to Cam Newton, which is they're probably beating Auburn right with Cam Newton instead of playing Cam Newton.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would agree with that.
Speaker 2: So that takes them to nine regular season wins. I would say they're probably beating Arkansas, a team they lost to in two overtimes, right, Yes, agreed, So they're now better than Arkansas. So now they're at ten regular season wins. They lost by twenty two to LSU. We know Cam Newton had arguably the game of his life against LSU, but that's certainly closer in Alabama another game of his life. They lose by twenty So can they go eleven and one sneak in? Maybe? I don't know. I think I think it's not the craziest thing. Although Auburn is getting in and they didn't lose again that year, obviously, but Auburn is getting in with one loss ahead of Mississippi State with one loss. Pretty clear, it seems fair. Yeah, so the Mississippi State brand is holding them back. But if they have the Heisman winning quarterback, then suddenly the brand gets help. See spicy, it helps Let me go. I'm gonna say there's a good shot.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know if I feel good about it, but a better shot for sure. Let me. Let me throw two out at you and you tell me which one is spicier. Both of these came in. We've got one that Michigan will beat Ohio State in twenty nineteen, and then we've got another that the Pac twelve will miss the playoff again in the twenty nineteen Oh my god, twenty season. Which is which is the spicy of those two takes?
Speaker 2: Oh, Michigan beating Ohio State is way spicier.
Speaker 1: So you're not feeling the Pack twelve making the playoff who's the Pack twelve's playoff team. I don't know. I mean there is one. I think that.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, who is the PAC twelve's playoff team if they get one in? If they get one in, it's is it Washington? I'm either Washington or Will Washington. I'm not saying will Washington get in the playoff. I'm saying, if by chance a PAC twelve team were to make it, the winner of the Pac twelve is it's either confidently see it could be Stanford. I like kJ Costello plenty.
Speaker 1: I don't like that they lose Bryce Love or Theyga Whiteside, Cadence Smith, stars along the line. Yeah, not feeling I just.
Speaker 2: I don't feel good about anybody in the PAC twelve winning the PAC twelve. So that's a it's a pretty cold take to say the Pack doll's missing out again because I don't know who to feel good about.
Speaker 1: On the Michigan side, I feel good for Michigan this year. It's long overdue. They have won three games in the last eighteen meetings with Ohio State, and that doesn't even count the game they lost by thirty and twenty ten when that win was vacated they get Ohio State in ann Arbor this year, a lot back on offense, Gonna take some time to sort out their defense, losing Rashaun Gary, Chase Winovich, Devin Bush, etc. Etc. But I think they're in good shape. I'm excited to see what Ohio State looks like under Justin Fields and especially with Ryan Day. But Ryan Day is not Urban Meyer. He could be a great coach, but there's a reason that they say you don't want to follow a legend, and I'm curious to see how he manages through a full twelve games slate as opposed to three.
Speaker 2: This would be a good year. I'm a believer in Dwayne Haskins being exceptional and a believer in Dwayne Haskins with time in that system being exceptional, being a better situation than Justin Field's coming in and expected to be Dwayne Haskins immediately. So I think it's a good year for Michigan to be great and better and play like they're better than Ohio State. Ohio State's defense should be really good, especially upfront this year. I'm sure Penn State fans remember Chase Young. He's still there. He's still there. Tyreek Smith still there, still great. So I'm still a believer that this should be the year. Should there be a year ever again that Michigan beats Ohio State, it should be this year.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you want a really spicy take day, yeah, don sandwich you. I'm so hungry. I'm so hungry to close out Michigan season. They are home against Michigan State aka Little Brother, then on the road in Bloomington at Indiana before they come back home to square off against their hated rival Ohio State. If that Indiana game isn't an all time great let down, look ahead spot, I don't know what is. I don't know how good Indiana will be this year, but at least on paper in late April, that looks pretty damn interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Somebody gave us there are ten teams, and only ten teams are right around ten. There are maybe the same ten teams every year that can win a title. No other school has or will ever have a chance. The ap top twenty five finished as such last year, each of which, at various points of the season were kind of threatening. Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, LSU, Florida, Georgia, Texas, are the top nine. Washington State finishes number ten outside of that top nine in terms of teams that have the infrastructure, can amass the talent, put themselves in a position to sneak in and get by whatever. I think, Michigan, Penn State, and then I don't know Florida.
Speaker 1: I don't know about Oregon. I don't know about Oregon. Would you say after Florida State, Yeah, Florida State. I think there's more than ten.
Speaker 2: I think twelve.
Speaker 1: I think there's more than twelve. I think A and M is a team that can win a national championship. Yes, A, specially under Jimbo Fisher. He will put the infrastructure in place to make West Virginia.
Speaker 2: No. I mean, I would say USC should be added to that list at their absolute best, but it's tough to foresee it in any sort of immediate future. UCLA, I will say.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think it's fifteen to twenty, somewhere in that range.
Speaker 2: I think twelve to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, do one or two more?
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go, how about this one?
Speaker 1: Tie?
Speaker 2: Twenty nineteen. The twenty nineteen season will be Chip Kelly's final season as UCLA's head coach.
Speaker 1: Final season, final season. The only way Charles Kelly isn't coaching in twenty twenty is if he leaves on his own volition.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So I don't think there's any chance he's getting fired. I don't think there's any chance he's leaving. I think this is a guy who genuinely enjoys football.
Speaker 2: Is wanting to coach football, the same exact thing as not only do I want to coach football, but I want to do it for the UCLA Bruins.
Speaker 1: They are going to have to pry the playbook from his dead, lifeless fingers before he'll leave.
Speaker 2: Do you know who submitted this question this take to us Dan Rubinstein in New York. I'm saying, that's my take twenty nineteens last year. You think he's seen what it's like to coach UCLA and we've all come to a point doing things in our lives pursuits where we've said, you know what, I'm just I'm cutting bait. This is not for me. I don't like where this is heading. I don't want to be a part of this. This is based on no knowledge, This is based on no source, This is based on no inside information. But I don't think succeeding at UCLA is something that a chip Kelly type will be the one to make happen. I think a different I think a different kind of guy who wants whose goal forever is to be at a place like UCLA, to transform a place like the UCLA. And I think chip Kelly is looking around at college football in twenty nineteen, the recruiting, you know, playing forty five minutes away from campus, having academic standards to deal with, or I guess, in the case of UCLA, no standards to deal with other than just cold hard cash. I think I think chip Kelly takes a long, hard look and says, no, wow, okay, good, here's one for you. Okay, I'll close out with this. I would rather have the first down line than HDTV. Well, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: The first down? The computer generated first down? I know you have to pick one or the given the choice. Given the choice, you're taking the first down line versus hd.
Speaker 2: WHOA, that's really good. I mean we go one play where the graphic department doesn't spit out the line of scrimmage and the yellow first down line, and you're in my head, No, what sport. Am I watching? How am I supposed to know what's going on? Meanwhile, the sport on TV has been like that for ninety four percent of its existence. Right, which would you rather have HGTV or the first down yellow line?
Speaker 1: I'm the one that rode I'd rather have the first down line.
Speaker 2: Okay, I figured it was you.
Speaker 1: I think the first down line is one of the greatest inventions in modern television history.
Speaker 2: Do you like having the field goal line? No, like they need to get to this point our career long is right here for a forty seven yard er. I like doing the math in my head.
Speaker 1: Wait, right, with the first down line, it's not arbitrary. I know where they're getting that information because it's always well, it's always the same distance.
Speaker 2: It's not exact exact, but it's you know, it's close to on a true based on some true math.
Speaker 1: The field goal line, I always wonder if the man's trying to stick it to me, Like, where did they get this information from?
Speaker 2: I think I'm about eleven teams, by the way, that can win a national championship on any given year.
Speaker 1: Give me fifteen to twenty.
Speaker 2: By the way. Shout out to our pal Peter Hoffman, who has just a raging college football piece of excitement in his pants. For Sean Gleeson, the Oklahoma State new offensive coordinator. He has hot take. Northwestern wins ten or eleven games this year. Behind Hunter Johnson and his simmering take is Oklahoma State and Shawn Gleeson's offense take the Big twelve by storm and win the conference.
Speaker 1: Boom shack a Laco. Okay, Okay, it's.
Speaker 2: A good year for Oklahoma State to be interesting and new. Oh yeah, for sure. Here's the way this works.
Speaker 1: It is late. Dan is tired.
Speaker 2: I am tired.
Speaker 1: As we said at the top of the show, one of the latest shows we've ever done talking college football. We thank everyone who wrote in for helping us crowd source this epoch so to some degree.
Speaker 2: And respond to any and all takes.
Speaker 1: By the way, yeah, by no means does it mean that when the show stops you should stop sending these in Solid Verbal at gmail dot com is our email address. As always, you can still hit us up on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram, and on the subreddit you mentioned. Peter he helps run the Solid Verbal subreddit at reddit dot com slash r slash solid Verbal hop on in the community, join the conversation with other verballers. Let us know what your hot takes are. I'm very curious to see more of these. It popped a little bit more than I expected when we put it on Twitter earlier this evening, So keep them coming. They're always entertaining, and by all means, subscribe to the show if you have them already. You can find us wherever you get your podcasts. Just look for the Solid Verbal. If you're unable to find it there, going out to our website, solidverbal dot com. And while you're there, Hey, what the heck? Why not sign up for our newsletter. We use it sparing whenever we have big announcements. By the way, Dan, we do have some shirts that are currently in the laboratory.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, did you get a chance to take a look at one of the two?
Speaker 1: I'm pretty excited about this.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I stopped up at MoMA H's for dinner after work today. Sure, and Mom h is very excited about this design.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to get our shirt, aren't we. We are? All right?
Speaker 1: That's all I got, Dan, You take care of that instrument. I will good luck on your draft show. We will be back to feed my son, Go feed your son, Go do your fatherly duties. We will be back in a week post NFL Draft. Not sure if we'll talk about at dinner the week after, but before long we'll break everything down. Enjoy it. We'll have much more to say in the days and weeks ahead. In the meantime, though, enjoy your week, enjoy your weekend, enjoy the rest of your evening, and in the meantime, until next time. Today Solid