Speaker 1: Really listens a mission this day and age Kelly and Tilma and returning the page. We're talking Family Matters about those times? Ellen.
Speaker 2: What happened between.
Speaker 1: The line with Kelly and me.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the fam, Elisa.
Speaker 3: Kelly, welcome to the family. Welcome, Welcome, welcome, y'all.
Speaker 2: Welcome, welcome, welcome. I'm Kelly and I'm Telma.
Speaker 4: And in the nineties we both start in the sitcom Family Matters.
Speaker 2: Now for today, we rewatched season one, episode ten, False Arrest, where Carl has an altercation with a famous TV dad. Pretty meta, huh A little bit. But before we get into that episode, what's up about you, Telma girl? I just need to ask you something.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I know you have a family, so that means you have a husband and you have a son. Yep, do they put the toilet seat down? Is there something I need to go back and rework with my son to get him to see that this is not okay.
Speaker 2: I mean he comes over to my house.
Speaker 3: By the time he leaves, every toilet seat in the house is up, even the one in the bathroom he didn't go in, So obviously he has some kind of power.
Speaker 4: Well, I was having this problem at my house too. I found out that you're pretty much shaped between the ages of eighteen months and three years old. Oh did so after three years they don't really evolve past that.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So so I can just forget and fall in. It's what you're.
Speaker 4: Saying pretty much. Hate to be the one to break it all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, as long as I know that, I know how to progress. Now, what's up with you? Girl? What's been going on this week? What's up with me? Is? I thought you loved me.
Speaker 4: As we've been watching the show, I've noticed that, at least when I was younger, it looked like I had been chewing on a stick of dynamite. My teeth were.
Speaker 2: All over the place.
Speaker 3: And you're blaming that on me somehow. I mean, you had a mother and a father, did you not, And they were in town at that time.
Speaker 4: But you're fabulous and you should have told me you need to go see orthodonist.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 3: I have to show you my old teeth. I had bucky beavers for days. They used to sing the you're probably too young to remember this, but the bush up brush a knew a panitude, I mean, because he was like, those were my teeth. Okay, so these you can have perfect teeth. You're in Hollywood, honey. But believe me, I walked around all through Tony, Orlando and Dawn with my Bucky Beavers just chattering away, and nobody said a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's so funny. Watching back, it's like, oh my god, who knew a.
Speaker 3: Lot of times you look like you just got your finger out of an electrical socket too. That ponytail be sticking straight out. I don't know how it had a life of its own, exactly, ponytail whatever, we were kind of pitiful. Let's talk about this episode, okay. Now, today's episode is called False Arrest. As I said before, it was written by Barry Gold and directed by Peter Baldwin.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 3: It aired on December first, nineteen eighty nine. Hey, the number one song on the R and B charts was still Don't take It personal body, Jermaine Jackson. They were working it out.
Speaker 4: Oh so the Jackson's they just ruled the charts by the hcause Janet Jackson was also still at the top of the charts, actually number one with Rid the Nation eighteen fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were really dominating the charts, you know, just a little Jackson story. They were a big part of my life, but really a big part of my son's life, and because we were all working and popular at the same time, he got a chance to meet him. Michael came to our dressing room to meet Gerald at the first AMA Awards and got to sit with him when we went to get our Best Pop Vocal and I think Best Pop Group of the Year awards. He sat with Michael during that time. When we would go to Detroit if they were there, I would always send a message backstage and they would send somebody out to come get it so we could go backstage and hang out.
Speaker 2: I've hung out at the house and I played Janet's Mom, so I feel very well rounded in the Jackson family.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: One of my best friends grew up with them. She was actually with them when nine to eleven happened. Really in New York. Michael had done a show there at Madison Square Garden. I was supposed to go, but I was mad because I didn't get a check that I wanted, so I didn't go. You know, you don't want to go to New York with no money, so I didn't go. But yeah, they were there when it happened and actually had to take buses back to Los Angeles. Was crazy because I thought I was seeing things when I turned on the TV that day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, huh. You don't really have the greatest stories ever, just obtuso. They just come up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they were a big part of our lives. Yeah, what a great time to be alive too. Like it was girls who nothing like. I mean, there was just so much fun to be had. And I'm not saying stuff is not enjoyable now in the shows and all of that, but it just seemed like because there were less shows, every was more special, you know what I'm saying That we didn't have like an awards show every month it was a big deal. So each time we would see them in whatever circumstance it was, it was always fun and everybody was just really loose and friendly. There wasn't as much paparazzi and all that going on. Then, nice, how'd you like the Arkle Open?
Speaker 4: It's so weird, right, but this is one of the other shows where they just put him in to kind of indoctrinate him into the show before he was actually a real character. So it really didn't have anything to do with the episode.
Speaker 3: Right, well, because he wasn't around them. But it's so funny that it assumes that everybody knows the backstory right when it comes in, because you know, like Eddie saying, you said I couldn't take him upstairs.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know any of that.
Speaker 3: But it's just another episode that starts off with that cold open. But we're only a few episodes away from having the actual Arkle on the show. I mean his first show, which I believe is maybe show twelve, were somewhere around there, right, So I'm looking forward to that. And this show, Eddie is training Steve in the living room. Yeah, that boy is really got a ways to go.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness. I can't believe how much smaller he was than everybody else in the beginning.
Speaker 3: He was so skinny too, I mean he was so little, little, and you forget how young he was when he came on the show, right.
Speaker 4: Okay, So then at the beginning of the episode, we see the family gathered around the TV watching their favorite TV show, The Buddy gibbrid Show. Yes, and it was a family sitcom about a black man who attompted to white orphan boys.
Speaker 3: Now could or could that be somewhat of a takeoff on different strokes except a switch n no, no, not nothing the White Man, Oh Okay to ricket Wells songs.
Speaker 2: We know. I just thought it kind of reminded me of that. But now he's America's favorite dad, which makes Carl a little insecure. That's a bit of course. It doesn't help them when he comes in and wants to tell us about his day. We just don't have any time for him at all.
Speaker 3: And even when he goes into the kitchen to try to talk to his sister in law and his wife, he loses us to Buddy Rich as well. We're just not about Carl when Buddy Rich is in the house.
Speaker 4: But I think it's really also funny how meta the show was. I mean, it really was a commentary on our own show, Like really was that sassy music?
Speaker 2: And oh dad? Right? And let me say I love now you know.
Speaker 3: Ron Glass was our guest for this, right, and he's pretty up aty anyway, But I love the way Palmer would dressed him on the show.
Speaker 2: It was perfection.
Speaker 4: It was because he dressed him like he dressed himself. Actually kind of Yeah, Palmer was like the sheikhiest man any of us have ever.
Speaker 3: Witnessed he was, And I am proud to say that he dressed me off the show as well. He was actually our dresser on Give Me a Break as well, that's where I met him. But yeah, he dressed Ron so preppy and so so white.
Speaker 2: I loved it. You know, the shoes, the saddle shoes and the socks. And people don't know.
Speaker 4: This, but Palmer was really the person who came up with the way that Eerkle dressed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he'd put that whole thing.
Speaker 4: Together, stenders, the saddle shoes.
Speaker 3: But I loved the way he looked and Ron of course and carry off that uppity looked at all times. He was wonderful in the role. But back to Mother Winslow. She did not like the fact that Kyle was interrupting herd that she didn't care what was going on, and she couldn't go back and watch it. He made her miss a big joke joke as she was tipped.
Speaker 4: Well, this was before VCRs and that, so you couldn't just go back and rewind it and look at the moment again. You had to enjoy it while it was grand opening, grand clothes. Never heard it put like that, but okay, one and done, so you better get well you had to wait till rerun exactly until we got our residuous.
Speaker 2: That part.
Speaker 4: So did you notice at the end credits of The Buddy Goodrich Show it actually four shattles an industry standard now where the main star is also an executive producer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely more of a thing now where the actors are executive producing or producing shows that they're involved with as well as acting and them. But it definitely was not the deal then. But he was a star, ruh. He was a big old shiny star and he could do all of that stuff. And I just love the scenes that he and Carl had at the production absolutely when he went down.
Speaker 2: To see if he could get tickets for us for the show, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, get the tickets for the woman show. And he notices Buddy's cars parked in a handicapped spot, so he tries to tell Buddy to move the car. But when he meets Buddy inside the theater, he's like a real diva.
Speaker 2: Almost like real life. Now.
Speaker 3: Buddy is played brilliantly, as I said before, by Ron Glass, an actor and director known for shows like Barney Miller and Firefly and movies like Serenity, among about a million other things. But I worked with him on a very short lived remake of The Odd Couple called The New Odd Couple, starring Ron Glass as Felix Unger Perfect and Demon Wilson of Sanford and Son famous Oscar Madison. It only lasted eighteen episodes. I think I did two or three. I played Francis, Oscar's ex wife.
Speaker 4: That's such a great show. Didn't they also have a female version of The Odd Couple? It never was as good.
Speaker 2: I wonder why the writing maybe? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Basically, I think we were doing shows that had already been done. You know, we were just redoing scripts. So some things had to be changed, of course, because everything wasn't going to work. But I don't think they really went at it with new scripts. None of the ones I was in were new scripts.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I wanted to mention also that Ron passed away in two thousand and sixteen, but he was perfect for this character. I mean, he was just Ugh and Carl was Carl.
Speaker 4: They don't really make character actors like that anymore, and people want to be a jack of all traits. There are people who don't really focus on being one type of person that can be really good at one thing anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, he had that genre, that character, that kind of character down.
Speaker 2: I mean, you knew to call him for it.
Speaker 3: It was somewhat of an extension of his character because he was particular, but he just played it so well and played it so funny. I had so much fun with him because at one point in the scene later on, we become the thing with two heads, and of course I had okay it with him, because you don't want to be running up on somebody and they turn around and you're right in their face. They mad at you for the rest of the day. So luckily we have worked together before that I could go and ask him about it. But back to the episode now, right, Carl tries to come in get in an attitude.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know that it's Buddy's car.
Speaker 3: At first, he's told that it's Buddy's car, and since nobody wants to help, he decides to knock on the door himself. And at first, when Buddy comes out and you know, he's very snooty and being Verybuddy good rich, Carl tries to find the humor in it. So when he's actually insulting him, Carl, you know, tries to laugh everything off. Of course, that wears out pretty quickly when he sees that this isn't a play for Ron. This is all he's going to be. This character is going to be like this, and he's going to have to deal with it. So that's when we see Carl, because Carl, if nothing else, he is a man of integrity.
Speaker 4: He will try and then he will stop. Yes, he's just not a man that's good as stunts.
Speaker 3: Because neither one of them, Chyly both need we could have been the stand ins for them.
Speaker 4: Do we now have any stunt coortinators at this time in the show, because maybe that thing look like a What's Why I'm a Rudy ray Moore movie? Ten minutes after the punch is like thrown, he goes down the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, well, yeah, maybe we couldn't afford it.
Speaker 3: We didn't have a baby wrangler, so I don't know, maybe we didn't have a stunt person either.
Speaker 4: We had a baby wrangler.
Speaker 2: It was you. It was your baby, thank you, miss see.
Speaker 3: That's exactly how you were on the shelf, and that's why I love you.
Speaker 2: You know, you have that kind of stinky attitude that people really.
Speaker 4: Like only say it because it's true. Anyway, Carl arrests buddy for assaulting a police officer, and he's in the right, correct as we see. Not that it'll matter when it gets home, but he's in that at all because the family is watching it. When he walks in the door only to find out the arresting officer is none other than Carl Winslow.
Speaker 3: And Mama Winslow, way to go, Carl. Nobody can say it like and that was proof right there. Yeah, those one liners down right. I think she made him up herself. She was so good at him. She could be disgusted better than anyone. But when we realize it's Carl, we just are not happy, especially you miss things. He describes everything that he went through the man. You know, he's trying to be nice. The man pushed him, the man punched the man shoved him, and you're like, that's it, that's all.
Speaker 2: You should have let him beat your brains out.
Speaker 4: Then if you get the tickets, that's the bottom line. Somebody would have said that that is perfect, Okay. It's like mother Whislow where She's talking about him getting the tickets, and he's saying, I'll try to get them, but I'm so busy. He said, it's doing what baby, Well, you know, arrested people, stop and robbery said, he said, well what about your lunch?
Speaker 2: Baby me? She don't care. What about you give up your lunch and go get our tickets?
Speaker 4: Right, And when the only realizes that it's Carl who did it, they don't fully believe that Carl is unbiased in making the arrests. Yeah, because they think that Carl is a little resentful of old buddy.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rachel more or less says it.
Speaker 3: I mean, she talks about how much she loves him and all of that, but she also said, bo, you know you were a little biased towards him. You may have been a little resentful. So they're aware that his hurt feelings may have provoked him, Yeah, provoked him a little more than normal. He's trying to do something for us who loved this man, and this man is disrespecting him as a police officer.
Speaker 4: And that's one part I liked. Also is that when you're watching the show, this particular show is almost told like a farce where the audience knows something about the characters that the other characters.
Speaker 2: In the in the show scene. No, right, so you know this guy's a jerk.
Speaker 4: Now he come into your house acting like he's mister Wonderful, And of course we're ready to go with that, because we're all enamored anyway and just ready to be charmed. Especially Rachel. Well, she does lose herself a little bit in this scene. Can't seem to remember anything at the proper time. Oh my gosh, but you all aren't fire behind. I mean, anybody's just all wishy, washy, squishy, squashy and loving him and all of that, so it's not all me. No, have you ever met anybody that you were that starstruck when you met? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a few. I would say, Carol Burnette really, oh my god, I loved her so much. Yeah, Billy d Williams. Okay, I kind of embarrassed myself with that one because I used to almost got crying when I see him. Okay, girl, I mean I would just run. I would just I had such a crush on him that I would just go, are you sitting hide somewhere? And he would do the same thing, like if he saw me first, and he would jump behind something.
Speaker 4: I was like, you know, to tease you, to tease me, and you that you was looking like a model.
Speaker 3: Show it was Billy d Williams. All I could see was you want mom to fall off?
Speaker 2: Yes, let it fall on me, Please let it fall on me.
Speaker 3: Loved him and actually got a chance to work on him, work on right time.
Speaker 2: This is a true Hollywood sewer.
Speaker 3: I got a chance to work with him on Half and Half, and by then I had no crush, so it wasn't as much fun. Of course, he couldn't remember his line, which kind of worked my nerve.
Speaker 2: That's all it takes. They can't remember their life. I'm done with you.
Speaker 3: But it was funny because I was so excited, and then I realized I wasn't as excited as I had been, you know, I was over my crush.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he was the one. And Carol Brennette for me.
Speaker 3: I remember watching her and just wondering if she was as nice as she seemed to be. And before we got our show, I got a chance to meet her at this luncheon that CBS was throwing and we were singing at it, and so Tony brought her over to meet me, and she was so nice and so sweet and just so normal. But to me, I was still in that Oh my god, it's Carol Burnetti.
Speaker 2: You know, I just can't.
Speaker 3: So when we finally started filming the show at CBS, I was getting off the elevator at CBS one day and going to our rehearsal hall and I looked up and Carol was walking towards me, which freaked me out.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, okay, hi, miss Carol Manette to myself.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm trying to figure out what Hi, Miss Barnette, Hi Carol, And as I was rehearsing, she said Hi, tell Ama and just kept going. I was like what, And I ran to the rehearsal hall to tell everybody that Carol Brenette knows my and honey, that is something that I have never forgotten. I mean, that just made my career in a way. For her to remember me, made her everything I thought she was. And she was nice all the time. Let's yeah, Carol Burnette was big for me, big for me. And they ended up doing a take on Tony Orlando and what was it Tony Tulsa?
Speaker 4: And are you serious?
Speaker 2: I don't know what. They did a take off on Carol Burnette of Tony Orlando and Dawn And at the end we walked up behind him and tapped him on the shoulders. You should have seen harberccorman his mustache and those shoes, because Harvey's like six' two, anyway then he had on the platform shoes and his mustache kept coming. Loose but it was a funny.
Speaker 3: Segment but, yeah probably the one that influenced my career the most would Be Carol. Burnette second would Be Diane. Carroll oh, wow that's. COOL i was just informed by our crack research team that the name of the group that uprized itself Of Vicky, Lawrence Carol burnette And Arviy korman was Called, Tony talahassee And. Dusk you know that's a dog bone. Shame another step back in time and back to the. Show, yes and we're. Back so the next, day the buddy character stops by the house offering free tickets to the show that the family, wanted and the family is completely charmed by. Him, Mmmmm i'm so, CHARMED i can't even talk or. Think and his take when he was talking and he turned around AND i was just. Right there was. Perfect couldn't have done it with anybody. Else and THEN i don't know if anybody NOTICED i was sniffing. Him oh my, GOD i just went. There they, said be. Obsessed that's not a. PROBLEM i can do.
Speaker 4: That be, Obsessed and your brain just went to sniff and.
Speaker 2: Folk hey he was, There my nose was. There it was practically on his. Shoulder.
Speaker 3: Anyway he spent pretty good. TOO i remember he had on some nice. Club but you got a. Problem let, like you ain't sniff. NOBODY i know.
Speaker 2: You, girl don't make me start telling your. Secrets, okay let's move.
Speaker 4: On, yeah, Okay so he comes. Over then he needs to speak To carl alone in the, kitchen where he tries to Get carl to drop the charges against.
Speaker 3: Him tries a little everything, too tries the, charm tries the Indignanty, Carol he's stomping his feet like he's five years. Old and then what does he finally, do tries the. Broblem carl is not the, one the last. STRONG i, Mean carl's a lot of, things but he has. Integrity he's honest And, homie don't play.
Speaker 2: That it's just the. Truth he don't play That.
Speaker 4: And did you like his little? Line which ONE i can't shave with my eyes. CLOSED i have to look at myself every day in the. Mirror you better go on and be poet At. CARL i know you didn't write, it but go on to be poetic. Anyway work that, line work, it work it. Right, YEAH i loved. IT i love the fact that the family.
Speaker 3: Hears it reacts to it, immediately.
Speaker 2: Immediately that's WHAT i love. About it's that old, thing you.
Speaker 3: Know And i'm sure you've gone through this with your sister and brother that you get pissed. OFF i get pissed off of my. SISTERS i can call them everything but the son Of. God but you, BETTING i say you bet or. Not you better not open your mouth because the first time you try to agree with, Me i'm gonna be pissed off at. You.
Speaker 4: Right it's a, fight, yeah and they'll be mad with you at that. Person, Okay so, buddy sentenced to a fun and community. Service and what was your famous? LINE a big star like that picking up trash on the? INTERSTATE i don't want, It and, carlgoes, Now, rachel you shouldn't take pleasure in other people's misery anyone.
Speaker 2: For a slow drive along the.
Speaker 3: Interstate oh they should have had that one scene in there wouldn't have been fabulous to See ron in his picking up, trash picking up trash in his outfit with the sweater with the with the whole prison thing around the shoulder and tied.
Speaker 2: On that would have been.
Speaker 3: Funny BUT i love the fact, that you, know we we play a lot on the, show but at the same, time it always comes down to something that's. Real and in spite of the fact that Even karl was a little charmed by but he good rich to begin, with it comes down to integrity and to who he is as a. Man and it always makes me proud to see, that even THOUGH i know it's not, Real like he, said he's not. Real it's on the, show but it's an important part of our. Show he makes mistakes and he does silly stuff and all of, that but he is a man that you can.
Speaker 2: Admire he's a man that you can. Respect he's you.
Speaker 4: KNOW i noticed on the show, though that the show kind of played into the cliche that celebrities are. OBNOXIOUS i honestly think the most are you think, so, well not all of, us but a lot of.
Speaker 2: Them we can be abnoxious, HERE i don't think.
Speaker 4: SO i don't really have that experience with anybody THAT i can really. Remember like how people play it when they do satire about people that are. Crazy but there's some people that are crazy to work there ling out of.
Speaker 3: Fat, well that's, true because they're just some crazy people out, there. Period BUT i think what they mean is a lot of times celebrities can be demanding and wanting a certain thing a certain way and all. That i'm not saying that all of us are like, that but there are a.
Speaker 2: FEW i. Know i've worked hard at just having.
Speaker 3: Not a perfect reputation everything because you, KNOW i, throw, oh, everybody let me stop.
Speaker 4: You you have a perfect. Reputation there are a few people in the. Industry you are one of those people that, everybody whether it's a feloacto or like, producers, writers you work because people love.
Speaker 2: You did you.
Speaker 4: Inter the industry THINKING i want to have this kind of Reputation now you know not only does your work speak for, you but also your ability to get along with.
Speaker 3: FOLKS i wanted to be, likable like A Carol. BURNETTE i wanted, that and of, COURSE i wanted to be, liked but more than, that AS i was growing into the, business my grand mother who raised, me kept me ground did as much as she loved to spend those, chicks and she did spend them and loved. It she also constantly reminded me that that big light THAT i was in was more than likely, temporary and that that light and that tunnel could go out at any, time and that i'd better have people that really cared about me in my corner when that, happened so THAT i wouldn't feel.
Speaker 2: Lost BUT i was blessed in that a.
Speaker 3: Lot AND i can say most of the people THAT i worked WITH i did enjoy working. With for the period of time THAT i work with the SUM i STILL i, mean there were just shows that we just had so much fun on that it was. Easy BUT i did always conscious that you get more flies with honey than you do with, Vinegar SO i always try to present.
Speaker 2: Well i'm usually in.
Speaker 3: A good, mood especially If i'm working BECAUSE i got a check coming at the end of the.
Speaker 2: WEEK i know that's, right and AM i getting paid is?
Speaker 3: Right that cheers me up right. Away, Yeah i've worked at just saying even my real world is at. Home that's, deep that's a.
Speaker 4: Preach my real world is at, home but there are people in that world THAT i bring home with, me like.
Speaker 3: You there are people in the business That i'm very close. To BUT i was always made aware that this was a, gift and the gift could leave it, anytime and you want to have something else to back you up when that's. Gone so she always encouraged me to keep my family and that sort of thing and keep a saying head about myself.
Speaker 4: Totally and you shared that much with me as, well BECAUSE i MEAN i spent a lot of time with, you traveling with, you even to your, hometown.
Speaker 2: Even with all my million.
Speaker 4: Relatives georgie's, right it was always the. Thing and there's a, saying don't tell me your, philosophy embody. It and you have always been the same person this whole.
Speaker 2: Time that's, Good. KELLY i like that.
Speaker 4: You totally give that off all your, characters like these fun great. Characters you really represent that for the people who come up to, you and you're so. Warm that's so.
Speaker 2: Dope my friends all.
Speaker 3: Here he just getting paid for nothing like that, anyway smart.
Speaker 4: Ass, well speaking of, wonderful, loving gracious. Stars it's a funny thing because this episode aired a few months after a real life incident happened where Jean Jah gabor slapped the police.
Speaker 2: Officer oh that's, Right Beverly.
Speaker 4: Hills you remember, That OH i.
Speaker 2: Do oh she slapped? Him good.
Speaker 3: Too OH i almost left thought she was a black woman there for a, minute she's showing. Out did she go to jail or did she just get a? Fight what happened with? Her that was, crazy. Baby she definitely got. Arrested she was accused of using the justice system for self. Publicity now her husband would have done. That her husband definitely would have done.
Speaker 2: That BUT i.
Speaker 3: Wonder if that had any inspiration for this episode With Buddy goodrich because it was.
Speaker 2: Around the same.
Speaker 3: Time, no, no it's too. Original it's all. Original oh, okay, Okay i'm glad we clarified. That you, know you are the voice of. REASON i am just so happy to be your.
Speaker 2: Partner. Oh. Absolutely how about some funk tunk as some funky packs. Girl, okay so let's get into some funky.
Speaker 4: Facts Ron glass's full name Was Ronald Earl, glass and he was born In, Evansville. Indiana in nineteen forty. Five he was a Devoted, Buddhists, yeah and support of humanitarian. Causes and he was known for his kind demeanor and mentorship of young.
Speaker 2: Actors, yeah he was the.
Speaker 3: Sweetheart the first TIME i really got to talk to, him we were In canada doing The Alan Thick, show AND i.
Speaker 2: Don't know if it was Pre Busom.
Speaker 3: BUDDIES i can't even remember exactly the, time but that was the first TIME i really got a chance to sit and talk with him because we were both doing the talk show and we were in the green. Room AND i know that he did do a lot of. Mentorship i'm not sure if he did it through. PROGRAMS i think it was more on an individual. Basis but he was a. Sweetheart he was a sweet. Man he played some crazy characters and snippy and snotty and all that, stuff but he was always very kind around, Me so that's ALL i can vouch for. It and, TALENTED i MEAN i can vouch for that all day, long because he was extremely gifted as an.
Speaker 2: Actor.
Speaker 4: Yeah also another fact is That Buddy goodrich offers called two or three thousand dollars to be a technical advisor or his.
Speaker 2: Ship technical advisor Technical.
Speaker 4: Well in nineteen eighty, nine a non union technical advisor would be paid one to two thousand per.
Speaker 2: Episodes say what?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really, yeah then he was more or less, fair very.
Speaker 4: Fair, yeah, okay even if it was for nefarious, Reason yes it.
Speaker 2: Was well that is very.
Speaker 3: Interesting, So, kelly while nobody's, listening but do you have any stories about any celebrities that may have been so fabulous on camera and then they got off camera and turned into?
Speaker 2: Satan anybody like?
Speaker 4: That and you're, like, uh, well as you, know it is not good business to be mentioning his. Name So i'll just say. THIS i was on the show as a guest star with a group of ladies and the star of the show was. Horrible she has a famous relative and the mother was completely, wonderful but the daughter was crazy as.
Speaker 2: Hell And i'll just leave it at a did you have an? Altercation did you? Have because it was really passive aggressive. Too that was the. WORLD i hate, that.
Speaker 4: AND i guess they just. Socialized the people on the show were just used to. It you ever seen people who are like Have Stockholm central where they're just used to the.
Speaker 2: Abuse so that.
Speaker 4: And you just looking, like are you crazy or WHAT i think you're dealing. With the cracking has been.
Speaker 3: Released we may have been doing the same. Shows i'm just thinking thinking about. That that sounded my, teeth, familia is?
Speaker 2: It? Well? Girl we have.
Speaker 3: Had some experiences in this business and hope to have, many, many many more good.
Speaker 2: Ones right with people like? You, yeah like? Me that's.
Speaker 3: Right so let's see, now have we just gone through everything we can go through on this? Show is there anything else you want to throw away In Miss, kelly anything you're thinking, about anything you want to?
Speaker 2: Share? Now that's?
Speaker 3: It, okay well you heard of. People that's. It that's the show for the. Week but stay.
Speaker 4: Tuned now we're going to rewatch each episode Of Family matters week by, week so make sure to rewatch the show right along with.
Speaker 3: Us and don't forget to send us an email or leave a voicemail with your questions about the show Or Family matters that we can help you solve or ruin your life. With you can find about all of that at our, website and.
Speaker 4: Please, please please please please make sure to rate and review us wherever you're. Listening we are so excited to have you along for this ride with.
Speaker 3: Us thank.
Speaker 2: You so.
Speaker 3: Much welcome to the family, everyone and we.
Speaker 2: Will see you see you next. Time bye, bye now.
Speaker 3: Bye welcome to The family With telma And kelly is a production Of iHeart podcasts And. Audiation it's hosted by Me Telma hopkins and Me Kelly. Williams our executive producers Are Sandy smalling's for, Audiation Adam, rip J D, hopkins who also happens to be my son And kelly's, pobro And Jonathan strickland for iHeart.
Speaker 4: Podcasts the show is produced By telma AND i but our series producer Is Ireland mitchen and our theme songs lyrics were written BY.
Speaker 2: Jd hopkins And Adam.
Speaker 4: RiPP the theme song was scored and mixed By Matt, noble who's also our series.
Speaker 3: Mixer and we'd like to Thank Nikki etour and the entire iHeart podcast.
Speaker 2: Team thank, You thank, You thank.
Speaker 4: You follow us On instagram A welcome to The family pod for behind the scenes photos and more bonus, content.
Speaker 3: And don't forget to leave us a voicemail at our, website thefamilymatterspod dot. Com we want to hear your thoughts and favorite memories of the show and let us know if you need, advice because we're good for some bad, advice we might be able to help you with your own family. Matters welcome to The Familie
Speaker 1: Audiation