Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. That's our super producer, mister Max Williams.
Speaker 3: Max the Chesapeake Boy Williams Chesapeake.
Speaker 4: Okay, I do want to drop something in here from that's reference to our previous episode. Sure, it was brought up the absurd name of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, which I one time saw and I've never forgotten. This translates to the the Angels Angels of Anaheim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a real ATM machine. Then number magic there with the facts.
Speaker 5: That seeking in the phone and PA's fallen knowledge.
Speaker 3: It's just for you right now.
Speaker 2: And that is none other than mister Noel Brown. They help me, Ben Bulling. In this neck of the Global woods, folks, we are having what we call a Badass Badass of the Week week uh with big, big thanks to our returning guest, none other than the co host of the Actual Facts Badass of the Week podcast. Please please join us in welcoming back doctor Pat Larish and Ben Thompson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thank you guys so much for having us. We're going to Yeah, yeah, we're gonna do. That's another is another one. That's a repetition. I don't know.
Speaker 2: A word for tea. Yeah, just.
Speaker 6: Have like chai gelato. There you go, you know to chi, you know chai chai.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 2: Folks. You could get the sense already that you are now hanging with five big time nerds.
Speaker 3: We were talking about threatening to do a D and D campaign off Mikes.
Speaker 5: I write professional write D D adventures professionally, so.
Speaker 3: I did know that about you. Well, I'm excited to h to come into your world of D and D and dungeon mastery.
Speaker 2: Folks. Folks, if you have not tuned into our previous episode about a guy named George that Noel, Max and I had no idea about, please hie THEE to thy podcast platform of.
Speaker 3: Choice or a Nunnery depending or if you wish right.
Speaker 2: I think they have WiFi. So we are Ben and Pat. We are so excited that you all are returning with us, despite our cavalcade of three out of five puns. You know in our previous episode, you are returning to us with another story of a badass. This is something building on our previous conversation. So for everybody wondering why we're calling our super producer Max the Chesapeake Cape. We promised we were going to pay it off. And so the Chesapeake Boy also the Chesapeake Boy. He's a chesapeaker.
Speaker 5: He's actually a chesapea cheesecake.
Speaker 2: That there we go go. So it bid, Pat, what is going on in York Town in the seventeen.
Speaker 5: Hundreds, Yes, so let's talk. We were talking before about George Rogers Clark and that's an interesting story. And you know, we are at a time where we're celebrating America to fifty right now, and so we've been doing, at least on our show, we've been doing a lot of American history characters, revolutionary war characters, and I think it's worth mentioning that a lot of America doesn't happen without the help of the French. As much as we like to dunk on the French here, Yeah, that is, they played a very important role in the American Revolution. We talked about a slightly more passive role in the last episode. This one is going to be a little bit more of an active role with direct direct fire engagement. So I guess in honor of America two fifty and bestial Day two thirty seven. We'll talk about the Battle of Chesapeake games and CHESSA games is a weird thing.
Speaker 3: Can I just say really quickly, I really appreciate you referring to it as America two fifty and not the rebranded Freedom two fifty. We are in America to fifty household here, So I appreciate.
Speaker 5: I didn't even I haven't even heard of that. So I don't just better that you haven't.
Speaker 3: It's better than you haven't.
Speaker 2: It's a bag of badgers.
Speaker 5: Liberty two thirty five or thirty seven or whatever.
Speaker 2: This Okay, what's up with the capes though, you guys?
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, let's get into that. So it's an interesting thing about this is that the most decisive military action of the Yorktown Campaign did not involve a single American soldier, sailor or marine. That's the story we're going to tell today. So we all kind of know the story of Yorktown the way that we are taught it in school. We picture the British, they're pinned down on Peninsula and Virginia, Washington, Rochambeau. The American and French armies link up, they trap Cornwallis on this eninsula. They marched down there. Cornwallis is locked into He's got this bunker system at this fort in Yorktown. He gets surrounded, he gets attacked, he tries to break out't he's not successful, and then he has to surrender his army. That's the tale we've been told right.
Speaker 6: Now, here's the thing. Yorktown is a coastal city, right, so it's a peninsula surrounded by water, and the British, well, at this point in history, who has the most powerful navy on the planet. So the Brits, I mean, they were basically ruling the Atlantic. So why were they stuck? If the Royal Navy is the undisputed king of the sea, how in the world did they let Cornwallis get cornered on a piece of dirt when he couldn't escape by ship? If you have, you know, the ultimate taxi service, why are you waiting on the curb to get arrested?
Speaker 5: Yes, So the reasonly revolution ends at Yorktown isn't because we walked up and demanded them to surrender. It's because a little bit before the siege there was something that happened. There was a naval battle that happened off the coast of Yorktown. That was among the most deadly naval conflicts of the eighteenth century. It's called the Battle of Chesapeake Capes, and it's the reason the United States exists. So we're going to talk about some frenchmen. We're gonna talk about some cannons. We're going to talk about British admirals, We're going to talk about gunfire fighting, marines, all kinds of badass stuff on this episode.
Speaker 2: And in interest of full disclosure, folks, we just want to get in front of the emails and the scuttle but we are going to have to acknowledge that not all bends are great. There is there is one bad Bed in this story.
Speaker 3: Just one bad Ben in the historical bunch and no more.
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's Mussolini. I guess he qualifies, but.
Speaker 3: He's a bit of a bend. I wonder if his friends called I wonder if he was Ben to his friends. I've always referred to him exclusively as Benito.
Speaker 2: So yes, as Benito has a little ben uh Benedict Arnold, we got to just I.
Speaker 3: Think, really we're really expanding our definition of Ben's here.
Speaker 5: That's true, that's true, that's true, are you, Benjamin, Is this a legal inquiry?
Speaker 3: We do have that, but.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's not like if you're shortening for something else, it's bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, Well, I just wanted to get in front of that for us to make sure that you know, uh, you, fellow ridiculous historians know as a crew that we do not I hope we can say this unanimously. We do not condone Benedict Arnold.
Speaker 5: Arnold's an interesting character that we can. We can do a whole thing on him, because we did a Badass the Week on him, actually, because it was so wild, like he was such a hero, such a brave American hero, military commander, like so many amazing actions early on.
Speaker 3: The war, but one thing, that one thing, you know.
Speaker 5: Like that decision to find him. But he did a lot of heroic stuff, but he won Saratoga. He like that.
Speaker 3: I think we might have talked about this in the past. Ben Yeah, it's not funny, man, how history can remember you for the one bad thing and then your name becomes a stand in for being a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Well, ethel read the unready you can hear him debated about at length in Badass of the Week. In the podcast, ethel read the unready was actually unready multiple times.
Speaker 5: That's true.
Speaker 6: So he.
Speaker 2: Okay, he deserved it. But we knows, as you're as we're saying here, it may be new information to a lot of us in the audience that when we're saying Chesapeake capes, we're talking about a specific place, not a style of cloak.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is off the coast of Virginia, in the Chesapeake Bay. So okay. So Cornwallis is trapped in. He's trapped down in. So when the war begins, you have or at this point in the war where at seventeen eighty one, the British have an army up north and they have an army down south. The army down south. You guys have covered this before. But the army down south is being beaten, right, They've lost the coalpins, they've lost the Guildford Courthouse, they're retreating. Cornwallis's guys, he's got half the British forces in North America, but he's lost a couple battles. He needs to regroup, so he moves moves into Yorktown, waiting to get picked up by a zuber to bring him back to New York to regroup and refit. Washington is up north. He's like, well, this is our chance. So when Cornwallis retreats to Yorktown, Washington diverts, like almost the entire American army in North America to attack Yorktown, to try to just concentrate on this one thing. We've gotten this guy, we've got him here. We need to just attack it and try to knock this one thing out, divide and conquer. Right, So he marches his troops a very long distance in a very short period of time to surround Yorktown. But in order for this to the British can't, as Pat said, just roll up with their boats and sail away. Now, this is where we need to call in the French. And by seventeen eighty one, the American Revolution is not just the thirteen colonies in King George. It is a planet wide world war. France and Spain have jumped in and there's fighting everywhere.
Speaker 6: We've got naval battles in India, skirmishes in Africa, We've got this huge kerfuffle going on in the Caribbean.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, so, I mean it's worth mentioning that the bloodiest battle and longest battle of the War of the American Revolution was the Siege of Gibraltar. More people died there than any battle in the American Revolution, and it was part of that war. So when you know, we sent Benjamin Franklin, here's a good bend. We sent Benjamin Franklin over to ed John Adams over to over to France to negotiate this. And when France joined, like, the deal we made with France was like, Okay, any territory we take in North America is American, but I don't care what you guys do otherwise, and so you just fight whatever. And so the French and the Spanish start attacking all of these British colonies all over the world, like you said, India, Africa, the Caribbean. They try to take Gibraltar, which was British, which is still British, but they and they lay sieged for like years, right.
Speaker 2: And also India is really interesting, Pat, I was not aware of that, Noel, did you know about that.
Speaker 3: I didn't hope.
Speaker 5: France had colonies in India at the time, and they were trying to take it over. It didn't work out for them. They lost over there, but they tried. They were just attacking everywhere that they could, and that really spreads the English out right. It's not that the British don't lose because France joins the war, because France sends us a million soldiers to fight the war. They win because France attacks places, honestly, places that English cares about more. Gibraltar, India, the Caribbean. These are very very lucrative places for the British Empire. And they're like, we don't have the forces, we don't the resources to garrison all of this, so we'll just give up on the North America and we'll worry about the stuff that actually matters. We win because they pressure them across all fronts and we open up a you know, not just a second front of the war, but a whole bunch of them. Now, okay, this is what's going on here. And but in order to get corn Wallace and his guys, we've got them trapped on the peninsula. The British Navy is coming to pick them up, and h we have to stop them. So this is where the French fleet comes into play, and they have to kind of sail in here and block this fleet of British transport ships from picking up this whole army and moving up to New York and expanding the extending the war by probably years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And this plan it's a gamp like every plan is a gamble. It has to do with timing. If Washington and the French General Rochambeau can get there first, we're fine. But if the British fleet shows up at the same time, even earlier, then Cornwall sails north and the whole thing falls apart.
Speaker 5: Right, this is our chance to catch half their army is in one spot. We got to catch them before they can escape.
Speaker 2: There's a real ticking time bomb scenario.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, this is This is a serious fleet that's coming. They are there. These are you know, think about like Napoleonic era wooden warships, three decks of cannons. Right, The American Navy basically does not existent. It's John Paul Jones and like two guys and like a pirate. And that's it. There's no fleet. There's no American fleet here. And the John Paul Jones ship was built by for the French. And so the British fleet rolls up and they are coming with the armed escort of war ships and the Admiral the French admiral is a guy named de Grassi. He's he gives the order to sail out and meet these guys. Now, this is where I want to introduce a character who I think is going to be our badass for this episode. Commanding the lead ship in the French formation is the ship's called the August, and the captain is a guy that you need to know. His name is Louis Anton de Bougainville. And I'm sure I'm mispronouncing that, Pat.
Speaker 3: Maybe you want to it works on such authority.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's half of it. It's like karaoke, you just got to do it. This guy is the captain of the August, and he has already lived basically like three lifetimes. He was born in Paris in seventeen twenty nine. His family was minor nobility, but both his parents died when he was five, and he was raised by his older brother. He goes to the University of Paris. He publishes just for fun, publishes two treatises on integral calculus. He's a genius just for fun. He's a genius mathematician. He is a musketeer. He joins the army in seventeen fifty as a musketeer like d'Artagnan fights against the British in Canada during the Seven Years War, where he takes part in the defenses of both Quebec City and Montreal. He's wounded, he gets knighted for heroism in battle. He takes part of the diplomatic he's part of a diplomatic team sent by France to negotiate the Treaty of Paris that ends the war. And then after that he becomes a famous explorer and naturalist. So he is the captain of the expedition that sets up the first European colony on the Falkland Islands, and then he commands the first French expedition to circumnavigate the globe. He departs a Nansen seventeen sixty six. It takes him three years. He lost seven guys out of his three hundred and forty man crew. And that was like going the long way around the Straight of Magellan, so pretty badass stuff here. And along the way they're doing the stuff that you see from like Captain Cook and things where they're stopping at uncharted islands and like doing you know, surveys of botanical surveys and drug pictures of the animals and things that they.
Speaker 2: See, and the bird and candy.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, and among his crew. This is a fun little sidebar.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: There was a naturalist, Philibert Comerson, and his assistant was a woman named Jean Barrie, and she disguised herself as a man. But because she was able to get herself on this expedition, she was the first woman to circumnavigate the globe.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, she discussed herself as a man. She went by Jean or Jean, and then it was Jean and she's, uh, you could do that better than me, Pat, I think you're more quick to handle that joke.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But they found out like halfway through the halfway through the journey that she was like so she was like a you know, it wasn't like we found out years and years later, like they found out on the journey and but nobody really nobody cared, right, And it was like she becomes the first woman a certain mavate the globe, which is super cool.
Speaker 2: They were like, oh, okay, everybody's got a backstory. Our main thing is avoiding scurvy.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, that's.
Speaker 6: The correct attitude. Yes, So After this Villa comes back, he becomes a superstar. He's got like a million and one different skills and experiences. He meets the King and Queen. He gets a flower named after him. This is the Bougainville the you know those big kind of flowers that kind of spill over like purply magenta colors, and now.
Speaker 5: I discovered them on its trip. They named him after him. Super yeah, and well the botan is named it after him. He didn't name it after himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, good safe, good safe?
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah. So okay, so you know he's not writing calculus papers and picking the flowers in the South Pacific.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: His main thing is to be lead captain in the most important naval battle of the American Revolution. So okay, who's leading the French charge? A genius, a world famous explorer, and a combat veteran. This sounds like the right guy for the job, right.
Speaker 5: Yes, Bougetvillas is a I mean, just a wild story. Right. This guy's published published books on calculus and is you know, is a celebrity, Like he's a national celebrity in France for he's being the first Frenchman to circumnavigate the globe. Now, he's volunteered to be the tip of the spear here. This is not the kind of guy you put out on the front of the battle lines. But when the French fleet is lining up, he gets in the Augustin and he's like, I'm in front. He sails right out to the front. And this is a big warship seventy four guns right, three decks, bigger than anything that the Continental Navy could could field.
Speaker 2: So for like current analogy here Ben would or current comparison, this is kind of like an astronaut saying, yeah, I did a lot of outer space stuff, but also I want to lead a.
Speaker 5: Battle, right, yeah, exactly. But he's also like a world renowned like naturalist right and publish books like although I guess are good at calculus also, So it's something like that, right, It's like having somebody you've seen on TV decide that they're going to like lead the charge and carry the flag into battle. It's wild, okay. So August is out front. He's the first one to spot the British, he's the first one to orders men to run the guns out. The stage is set for this battle. The British fleet is coming in. They've got their transport. The troop transports are lightly armed. They're waiting back to see what happens in the battle. The British fleet is moving in here. Nineteen ships, fourteen hundred cannons, and you've got the most polished professional sailors on the planet. This is the greatest navy on Earth and everybody knows it. Nineteen ships, each of them three decks, most of them three decks. Man of wars. The French have twenty four ships, so they've got more ships, they've got a little bit more cannon. They've got seventeen hundred and set up. They've go three hundred more cannons and they've got five more ships. On paper, that's an advantage, but in reality, the French navy has not performed well against the British navy to this point in the war, and they're going to continue to not perform well against them as it's the years go by. Uh Bougainville is out there in front and he's sent out. He's also realizing that he's kind of dangerously overextended. He's out there in the front right there, he's facing nineteen ships by himself. The other guys are behind him, and this is old style war where you've got to get the side. You got to get the broadside right, think about pirate battles things. You've got to get the side of your ship on the side of their ship. And if he's sailing out their front, you want to get the You want your fleets to be an equal sign to shoot in each other. But if you're doing that, you're going first, and you're the one that's going to get shot by all of those That first ship is the one that gets shot by all those other ships as it goes down that equal sign.
Speaker 6: This is a This is a bold move. Some might even call it reckless. Yes, so Bogel, he's got the Auguste and he's daring the British. He's basically saying nin or niner, come and get me, Come and get me, and trying to draw all their fire right while he's trying to distract them, while the rest of the French fleet is still getting into position.
Speaker 5: Yes, the august breaks formation and charges ahead by itself to basically take on the entire British navy alone, which forces the British admiral to try to react to this. He's got to do something, right, He can have this one ship just sailing out there, so he kind of he ends up coming in at like a weird angle, which helps the French in the battle. So the ships kind of they come into line with each other and the Augusta's out front. It's taking it's you know, they run out the iron cannons row after a row of muzzles. Soldiers are opening fire on each other there. The cannons are shooting, but the ships get so close during the battle that dudes are like climbing up onto the basts and like shooting pistols and rifles at each other. Like you can see the guys across room you. It's not like a like you picture with a modern naval battle where you're looking through like a telescope or anything. You can see the dude in the in the sale across from you and you're trying to shoot him with your rifle. That's how close these guys are getting to each other. And the ships are just devastating each other. They're blasting, the masts get knocked off of the Augusts lose its masts. We're talking like shrap and all the size of like baseball bats like flying flying wildly around the decks here, old school pirate Napoleonic style naval battle, and it's happening in Virginia during the American Revolution. And for some reason we've never heard this story before.
Speaker 2: And we have to mention for a quick interjection here you read my mind bent Napoleonic tactics, that's what we're talking about, like the Civil War in the United States. Again, it's a terrible name. That was an exhibition of Napoleonic tactics on land where you had a bunch of people who were largely going to be poor, if we're going to be honest, and he made them stand in line and sort of march at each other until they died.
Speaker 3: A little bit of a cannon fought our type situation.
Speaker 2: Just so, yes, sir, And so we're saying that at this time in this maritime conflict, people were still deployed that Napoleonic philosophy, correct.
Speaker 5: Right, right, because this predates Napoleon, so this would be twenty years before Napoleon.
Speaker 2: So they didn't call it that. Yeah, he named it after himself later.
Speaker 5: Right, right guy, our guy who Gunville is going to meet Napoleon later on. But yeah, so this is right, before that, and that's the time period, right, This is it's not common for even at this time. It's not common for naval battles to take place at this range, this close to each other, right, because you have so many cannons and they just blast each other and everything's on fire, the master getting knockoffs, all these people are dying left and right. Usually you shoot from a farther distance away and try to hope that your guy's aim is better than theirs. Right, these cannons are not super accurate, they're not rifled boers or anything, so you just kind of hope that your guy's going to reskill is a little better than their guys going to reskill, and you fight from a long ways away until it's time to like maybe board them with your marines or whatever. But this doesn't This isn't common, and it is an advantage actually for the French, who are not as talented at at gunnery as the British are. So you get close like that you can't miss, and this just lets them use their twenty five ships and their seventeen hunder cannons. It might not be great strategy, like you said, just kind of march at these dudes, but like, we got more than they do. They're better shots than us, so let's just get as close as possible. And the August and Bougainville, they are able to kind of mess up the British formation by charging in a really weird way. He kind of lone wolves it a little bit and disrupts their formation, which is also an advantage to the first I mean, it's he pays for it. Him and his crews get blasted pretty heavily for this, but it is effective now, you know usually, but like you said, usually you're looking at somebody through a telescope. You're not looking the guy in the eye trying to shoot at him with a handgun in a naval battle in this time period.
Speaker 6: And Boville in his note in his log, he says the vanguard was very hotly engaged. The fire was very brisk, which is this is a.
Speaker 3: Very that's understating the case just a little bit. Yes, yeah, brisk is something you used to refer to like a breeze or like, yeah, but I appreciate the word.
Speaker 6: But yeah, and speaking of breezes and atmospheric phenomenon, we're talking about this and we're picturing this, and we can picture the ship in that ship and the guys who can see each other without telescopes. But sometimes what gets lost in uh, the way people tell this is that this this naval battle, this Titanic history changing struggle, that's deciding the fate of an entire continent. It's happening right off the coast of Virginia, Okay. And yet if you were on the shore, you couldn't see a single thing. There is so much smoke, and it becomes a literal fog of war. The cannon smoke is so thick, so heavy, and so pervasive, like think after a fireworks show, except like times, I don't know how many orders of magnitude, there's just this wall of gray. You've got thousands of men, millions of dollars of pounds or francs or whatever of naval hardware, and you've got the future of the American Revolution all just clashing together in this. You know, it's a hot mess, but it's a hot mess in a hidden bubble of violence. And then the people, I mean, I don't know if anyone's actually willing to sit on the beach in Virginia, but I guess maybe you know, what would they know, you know, going down to the beach and then you maybe hear a faint, distant rumble and maybe you guess that maybe there's some naval activity going on. I don't know, but you can't see it, you know, even if you're standing on a pier, you would not be able to see it. And that's going on for two hours, these two fleets locked in this brutal blind engagement, and finally one side realizes, hmm, maybe we're losing the gamble.
Speaker 5: Yes, So there is this fog of warships are getting separated. It becomes this like you know, it starts as this big line and whenever you look at like military tactic stuff, that's always how they draw it up. But like once you kind of get into a frenzy, once they kind of get into a brawl like this, it ends up like the August is fighting two British ships. They're fighting the Ajax and the Terrible. So there's two seventy four gun British ships fighting the fighting the seventy four gun and August and they're just battling each other and other stuff is happening. But like you said, the fog of war is so dense. You can't really see outside of it. The masts are down on all these ships, so there's no sailing anymore. You're barely 're barely rowing. They're shooting at whatever they can shoot at. And like you said, this is you know, we've got seventeen hundred canons on one side, fourteen on the other. We're looking at something like thirty three thousand plus cannons firing as fast as they can fire multiple like at least I can't remember how far off the coast it is, but it's miles off the coast, so it's not visible. And you know, maybe that's why the story doesn't get talked about as much, because no Americans were there and they couldn't No Americans could see it. So but this battle is like defining the American Revolution. And yes, like you said, you know, when when things are starting to look kind of bad, after two hours, darkness is starting to fall. You can't fight in darkness, and you don't want to because you don't want to accidentally crash into any of these other ships. So darkness starts to fall. The British retreat, they've lost almost four hundred guys. The French have lost two hundred dead and wounded. The Terrible is sinking. It's unable to be repaired, it sinks to the bottom of the harbor. Rescue boats terrible. It's terrible. Yeah, it's terrible for that boat you've got. You know one thing that we think of, we don't think about too much with big colonial naval battles, is you have rescue boats. So there's dudes out in rowboats rowing around trying to pick up sailors out of the water. You've got guys kind of hanging on and some of these sailors can't swim because they're drafted into this service. They're not These aren't Some of these guys aren't volunteers. They're just impressed into service, so they can't swim. They're just holding on to like things that are floating and holding on, holding on to wreckage. You've got these guys rowing around on boats trying to pull them out. The British Admiral Sir Thomas Graves, He's like, I think this is it. Like, I don't think I can break through this wall here. I don't have the I don't have the manpower to do it, and I've taken too many hits here and his ships are all just smashed. The French tactic was to shoot down the masts of the British ships, because that's the thing that you can't really repair in the field, and it affects your ability to do anything else if you can't if you have no engine. Basically, So the British retreat and dawn breaks at Yorktown. Rochambeau is there, Washington's there, you had mentioned Alexander Hamilton, He's there. Marquis de Lafayat's there, and you know, they do go to the beach in Virginia for some reason, and what they.
Speaker 3: See they heard a distant rumbling.
Speaker 5: They heard a distant rumbling in Thunderia. And they come back and as they're standing on the pier, they can see twenty four French warships returning to the harbor and they're like, that's it, we did it. We got them. Like there's this huge cheer goes up down the line of the from the soldiers on both sides, and that's it. Cornwall's is not going to get out. The French and the Americans surround them, they besiege them, they start firing cannons at them, and October seventeen seventeen eighty one, Cornwall's requests a ceasefire. Two days later, he unconditionally surrenders all British forces under his command, and with that one signature, half of the British army in North America becomes prisoners of war.
Speaker 3: Wow wow, yeah boy, right, half half.
Speaker 5: The war goes on for two more years because the guys in New York don't surrender as easily, but they don't make any real expeditions out of there, and without these troops that Cornwallis has had, like, they can't they can't do anything, right, So the United States ends up. The war ends officially in seventeen eighty three, and all of the hard work that was done by the colonials over the many many years of this war results in a free and independent United States. But it is largely due to this The Yorktown Campaign, which gets mentioned all the time, is the end of the war, and it's not really the end of the war goes on for two more years, but it's very interesting that like like oh yeah, roch Bo showed up to he was also there. It's like there was also twenty four French warships with seventeen hundred cannons, like lasting the British Navy. We should probably mention this. I feel like when we talk about.
Speaker 2: Yorktown, that's true. I just I love the way we're portraying it because for a lot of us it will it will call to mind the big question about all the people who signed the Declaration of Independence. American school kids know some of the top names, but I always love thinking about the other the person who was in the room for you know, maybe there was there was a different reason. Maybe they were bringing the snacks in and they were like, oh yeah, i'll sign it too, man, I want to be part of the thing this.
Speaker 3: Did you say the snacks or the stacks snacks? Snacks? Okay, you have stacks of snacks, potentially.
Speaker 2: Stacks of snacks. Just so and there there's another thing we we have to mention here in in you all's research. I'm not sure for the of the best way to uh to set this up. I think you all did it perfectly with the title. I did not want to go to your stupid party anyway. What's that about.
Speaker 5: Have you guys discussed Banisterear Tarleton yet we did a badass on him. One Bannister Tarleton is the guy who the bad guy in The Patriot is based off him. Bash Tartan was like this twenty year old, like cavalry officer. He's just just the perfect, just bad guy, just everything, just burning burning stuff. They called him Butcher Tarleton or Bloody band for Bloody Banister or Tarlton. He's like a he's an episode by himself. He's just like a he's the ultimate villain of the American Revolution and you know, just everything you can think of. His parents were like so he showed up and he like he claimed to have like killed more men and ravished more women than any other British officer in the war. Like he would go around bragging about that after and like he you know, he's just this monster of a person. He's burning cities, he's killing prisoners of war. We can't stop him. And he's recruiting loyalists to like fight for him, which everybody hates more than having the actual fight actual British anyway, we all hate this guy. And when the war ends at Yorktown, they have a big this is a very this is very a eighteenth century, right, They have this big party, so Rochambeau and Washington invite Cornwallace to dinner and they have this big dinner for all of the American and British and French officers. I can think of nothing more eighteenth century. And I don't know, I just picture it being chill. I pictured just being like, oh, that's a good war. Good war for you, yeah, good war for me.
Speaker 2: It's like when we were all playing child sports and we had to get in a little line and yeah, it's like that, yeah, oh wow, good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so. But they didn't invite manister Charlton.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, of his vibe, right.
Speaker 5: Because he's like yeah, because he was just he was just a miserable, awful person and everybody hated him. And it doesn't end badly for him either. He goes back, he becomes like the superstar. He becomes a member of parliament who advocates for the slave trade. He marries like like the most famous like a stage performer, Starlett in London. You know, it's like become super rich. It's just the worst. Just he's just the worst. He's the worst in like sometimes in a funny way, he's.
Speaker 3: The worst in a a in a cadre of worst.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, he's the worst, but he didn't get invited to the party.
Speaker 6: And he's ban b A N, not Ben with B E N.
Speaker 3: Pat, thank you so much that that's important. That's an important detail. I think we buried the lead.
Speaker 2: Yes, he is a different, different guy, different different first name with a b uh. It's also we love the point, guys that the battle of your town is seen as a climactic, titular event, obviously right, but it is important to remember that things continued, as you said, for several years. And and one of the facts, no, I don't know about you, man, but one of the facts that's going to stick with me here is when you Pat portrayed the Revolutionary War here in the US as a facet of a larger World war. Is it fair to call that era of conflict the First World War?
Speaker 5: No, because you have the Austrian Succession, you have the Seven Years War, you have all kinds of like world wars like this is a very European thing because they've been you know, this is kind of a continuation of the Seven Years War. This one doesn't even get mentioned that much in some of the other when you're discussing other you know the secrets of European wars. But yeah, this was just a mess. It culminated in that, right, because you have all these alliances. Spain is on France's side for this war. Spain is with US and France against England. But then once that war ends, France and Spain are going to go to war with each other. It's a mess.
Speaker 2: Talk about a bag of badgers, geez.
Speaker 5: Before we end, though, ben I would like to wrap Bougainville because he is an interesting character and he survives this battle. He leaves his ship, he loses a lot of soldiers, he loses a lot of sailors and marines in his battle, but he survives. He sinks one of the British wars. He sinks the British Worship. He continues on fights in a few other battles in the Caribbean as part of this series of conflicts. Right, he fights in the Battle of the Saints, which is the French are like, okay, we'll just take Bermuda because we're here, We'll just attack Bermuda, and he fights in a battle there After the war, he goes home. He becomes an instructor at the French Naval Academy. He joins the French Academy of Sciences. He's able to not be guillotine during the reign of Terror, he lives in this really nice est state in the Normandy coast. And then under the reign of Napoleon, he's made it. He's made a count. He's like given an order of nobility and becomes a count and he serves as a senator for a while in Napoleon's the government. He dies in eighteen eleven and he's buried in the Pantheon in Paris, which is like a huge honor for like the greatest heroes of France, every part of him except for his heart, which is buried at his old house, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Why I don't know, home is where your heart is.
Speaker 3: That's just usually that's just like a crochet, you know, blackerd or something like that.
Speaker 6: Not necessarily, sometimes you take it literally.
Speaker 2: So I imagine, so, yes, home is where the heart is. This is nominalist to us Pat and Ben because this is ethics aside. This is a story that is larger than life. There is more than one badass involved here, right, So one of the questions we have to ask you all on behalf of our fellow ridiculous historians? Is this, how do we define a badass? What constitutes badass ery? Does it always have to mean a good person?
Speaker 6: Oh? Ben and I've talked about this. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't always mean a good person. That's not a requirement, although many badasses are good people or work for the service of good Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah.
Speaker 5: So the thing that came up when I was doing the first Badass book, I wrote it the whole book, right, I've been doing the website for five years, six years. I got the book. I'd written all forty chapters for the book, and my editor was like, you need to do an introduction chapter you defind badass. I'm like, I don't know. I don't know what makes all these guys badass? What does Leonidas have in common with Genghis Khan? How is Joan of arc there? But you know for ratio of Nelson? Like, how all these guys? What is the thing? Like?
Speaker 2: What's our rubric? Right?
Speaker 5: What's the unifying factor here? And I think what it came down to you was your determination and your perseverance to accomplish great things?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: These are all people who had a goal that they were going after and they worked really really hard to get it, and they accomplished it. And sometimes that gold is criminally insane, but that's I think that still counts, right. The thing that makes these people inspiring to us is is that Bougainville was like, I am going to a takeout. I am a world renowned explorer and international celebrity, but I am I believe in this, and I believe in the cause of liberty. And remember that the French fighting in this battle, they are not They're still a monarchy. They're not. They're not. This is not they're not flying the tricolor flag. This is pre French Revolution. A lot of the ideals of the American Revolution will rub off onto the French who are here. But this is the period of the Enlightenment in France. They are still trying to reconcile. Let's be free thinkers and think for ourselves and have all this interesting ideas. Let's try to reconcile that with there's also a monarchy, and God tells us that we have to do these things because this guy tells us we have to do them well.
Speaker 3: And also, I mean, the the Enlightenment seems like it would inherently kind of clash with the idea of warfare and killing other humans, very enlightened behavior exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: But these guys get out there and they're like, well, I gotta, you know, you gotta break some eggs, and they're they're like, we gotta you know, he believes in this. He's like, I gotta get out here. I'm gonna fight for These guys are fighting for like freedom and and you know, their own self determination all this stuff. And so he's he's a true believer and he goes and he's like, I'm going to fight for it. I don't care that like I'm a celebrity or whatever. I don't care that this is the most dangerous position on the fleet. I am going to go after this. I'm going to fight these guys and I'm going to win, and I'm gonna win help help you know, America win its independence. I'm going to fight these British who I've been fighting my whole life. And there's something inspiring about these people who who you know, get out there and do these things right. They kind of inspire us to you know, I'm not badass in my actual life, but you know, there are days where I feel like I don't want to answer my emails, and then I try to think about Ville charging seventeen British warships, and I'm like, maybe I'll answer my emails this morning.
Speaker 2: So you know, it might be badass to dodge an email, you know what?
Speaker 3: I Yeah, you rebel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're lead. You're the tip of the spear on that one. Right.
Speaker 5: I handed my emails the way he handled the Terrible and the AJAX. Just delete, just demolish my eail read delete doctor's office. What do they want? Delete exactly?
Speaker 2: Spam? Likely not with me. It's a joke earlier about uh, nol. I think we were talking off air about some phone calls, right, oh yeah, and we also again, folks, Noel, Max and I are not blowing smoke. We're not blowing rainbows or trumpets and angel farts here. Badass of the Week is one of our favorite favorite explorations of exactly what we are hanging out with today and indeed the entirety of this week. Pat, thank you so much for coming and hanging out with us, Benans.
Speaker 6: For having me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Ben, you know, Nolan, I have to do the check in. Pat, are you okay with this Ben Thompson guy. Is he all right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's all right.
Speaker 3: He seems pretty cool to me. Cool and thanks for coming back then, just to check it.
Speaker 5: If you want to exit the.
Speaker 2: Podcast, well, thanks as always to our super producer, mister Max Williams. We usually have a long run of credits. We're going to save you guys some time here except for one thing. We have to recommend a good friend of the show that you all should hang out with if you haven't already. His name is A. J. Jacobs.
Speaker 5: Oh, we had him on our show. He's awesome. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we call him Bahamas for you can never ask him why not sure either, I don't know.
Speaker 3: He's a good guy that makes perfect sense. I got to check out that episode.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we had a great episode with him. I was doing for a while. I was doing the drink of the show, where every show I would have some kind of beverage that was related to whatever we were talking about.
Speaker 3: Then we were doing history.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were doing a Mongolian Pat had brought some Mongolian in mythology the Jingar Epic, and those guys all drink fermented Mare's milk.
Speaker 3: Oh in the story. Yeah, oh, good.
Speaker 5: So I ordered fermented Mayor's milk from Mongolia.
Speaker 6: I did not make him do this. This is own initiative.
Speaker 5: It's boozy. Yeah, it's it's fermented, so it's it's alcohol. It's like a it's you know, it's like a wine level of alcohol.
Speaker 6: What'd you take?
Speaker 2: Did you all enjoy it?
Speaker 5: I drank it. We don't, you know, we live in different cities, so I just did it over zoom and yeah it was. It was really not good.
Speaker 2: It was yeah, I don't know. I got that seven League stare first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that was the show AJ was on. I drank it and it was. It tasted like hay and uh and that was the end of the drink of the show. We never did it again.
Speaker 6: It was that bad.
Speaker 3: Hey is indeed for horses and good good on you for taking one for the team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that episode is like eighty percent of that episode is just me gagging.
Speaker 2: Ilad you made it well.
Speaker 3: Note to self on alcoholic beverages, never to try. But thanks again y'all for coming and we will see you next time, folks. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite shows