Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Laura Vanderkamp. I'm a mother of five, an author, journalist, and speaker.
Speaker 2: And I'm Sarah hart Hunger, a mother of three, practicing physician, writer, and course creator. We are two working parents who love our careers and our families.
Speaker 1: Welcome to best of both worlds. Here we talk about how real women manage work, family, and time for fun, from figuring out childcare to mapping out long term career goals. We want you to get the most out of life.
Speaker 2: Welcome to best of both worlds. This is Laura.
Speaker 1: This episode is airing in early mid December of twenty twenty four. Sarah and I are actually here to gather in my recording closet, my zoom room as it were with my lovely You can't see this, but to book wallpaper on the back, always a fun thing to have. But we're sitting very close together for good friends. Hopefully we are both able to be heard in this one microphone, so welcome to my closet, Sarah.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm trying to make sure my voice isn't exactly I don't know. We have about twelve inches.
Speaker 1: Yees EQUI distant both to this microphone as we sit here in this tiny space. But today we are going to be talking about life hacks, so taking a bit of a breather between the holiday stuff. We've been talking about the Goal episodes, which of course they're coming up later this month. We're going to be talking about ways we want to you know, that we use to make our lives easier, little tricks that have been helpful to us. But first, just a quick life update. So mid December, Sarah.
Speaker 2: What's going on? So much is going on. So much is going on, and it's all fun stuff, so I cannot complain about any of it. But we will have just celebrated my husband's fiftieth birthday, which we're doing as a big family celebration. Well, this is airing afterwards, so I won't spoil anything. But his friend is flying from across the country and he doesn't know that yet, so it's going to be really really fun. And then right after that and after this episode airs, I'll be running my second marathon of twenty twenty four, my sixth marathon total. We will see how that goes in Jacksonville, Florida.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that going to be cooler than I mean, it's the hope that that's I mean, it will obviously be as cool as like Traver's study Michigan, probably.
Speaker 2: But it could be. So Jacksonville is like almost in Georgia. Okay, it is really up top there, and as you remember, my Traver's City Marathon was at the end of May, so it was actually I was probably even more nervous about that weather than this weather. But I think both of them have the potential to be amazing, and both of them have the potential to be kind of a letdown. So by the time this airs, feel free to pull up the forecast for Jacksonville for December fourteenth, and you can either celebrate on my behalf or feel bad for me. How do you feel about your training so far? You know, it's funny because I thought it was going pretty badly until like mid November, and then I've had some really really good runs lately because our weather finally became reasonable, and so I don't know, I don't see a pr but I think I could come fairly close to my time, which would give me a very solid Boston qualifier and likely like actual matriculent time for twenty twenty six, since I am now in the upper age bracket that I get more time.
Speaker 1: Ah, yes, the upper forties, so you get like a whole extra five minutes or something. It would have been ten minutes, but because the standard shifted by five minutes, it is only five.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. I already had somewhat of a buffer. It just wasn't quite enough, and this time I think it will be enough. It'll be enough that use all right, well, fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: You can check in on the update for that Sarah's blog a couple days after this airs.
Speaker 2: We will all find out together how she did.
Speaker 1: I think it's so cool that she's doing this and training seriously for stuff.
Speaker 2: I am not training for any marathons.
Speaker 1: I ran a half marathon in October, and I feel maybe I will never do that again.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think ten k's might be my max at this point. Now. I think that would be fine. But I am singing a lot.
Speaker 1: I will be singing in three different concerts plus a Christmas Eve service over the course of the next few weeks, which is really exciting with its air, as I will have done the first one.
Speaker 2: It's a service of carols.
Speaker 1: That I'm doing with a different choir than I've sung with before, so that'll be kind of fun, and then hopefully doing the B Minor Mass over New Year's Eve. Yeah, singing in Christmas Eve, doing a concert of lessons and carols with my church. So just a lot of singing, a lot of songs. But it's so fun because this is the time of the year when you want to be singing, and it's all these familiar works, even if it's new arrangements of them. So it's been really fun to have all that singing. But yeah, it's a lot of time. I mean a lot of time because now I'm doing Monday rehearsals with this other choir, so I have to drive downtown usually leaving here around six fifteen, parking in the garage six forty five, getting there for seven o'clock rehearsal. We rehearse to seven to nine thirty, go get the car, come home, so it's ten o'clock or a little later. And then Thursday nights the rehearsals are are seven to nine at my church.
Speaker 2: That's a lot closer, so I only have to leave at six forty five, but it's you know, it's still yeah, and especially as you get close to the event, sometimes may get them. We have extra rehearsals, the dress rehearsals, and then the days themselves. I mean, the concerts are multiple hours, so yeah.
Speaker 1: It's probably not quite marathon level in terms of time, but it might be getting close.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but you love it.
Speaker 1: I love it, And when you love things, you want to fit them into life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Still enjoying singing with Jasper in the church choir. We're singing together, and yeah, doing a lot of like college application stuff with him. So yeah, that's life around here right now. But so life hacks. Some of these are pretty when you look these up online. Some of them are like hilarious, like you know, uses for a safety clip you didn't you know, safety pin you didn't even know existed, or something like I didn't want to know those.
Speaker 2: No, these life hacks are the kind that, like, I don't know. As I was listening min, I'm like, that's so obvious. But then I'm like, well maybe not, maybe I don't know, can let us know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe if you've listened to every episode of Best of Both Worlds, you may have heard us mention some of these before. But you know, we've probably repeated ourselves a lot over the last seven years. So if you're still with us, thank you, or you appreciate all of you, we appreciate you very much.
Speaker 2: All right, Sarah, you can kick it off. Oh okay, I'm going to go with the travel one, since I traveled here today very early, I might add, so I have gotten to a point in life when I liked a default to a single airline because it's just easier to have one go to place to look for flights. I like having status on one airline, and there's no way I'd be able to build up status on multiple airlines, so it's nice. And then once it's more fun to fly on that airline because you have some status and like why would you stray? Plus once you have some points, then it's like faster to get anyway, so it makes things easier. And like, yes, sometimes if it's obviously not the right choice, like it doesn't fly NonStop, we'll do something else. But yeah, in my old age, I have like really enjoyed just being like I fly one airline. Joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I think it's it's more of a choice for you because you have multiple airports around you that you might potentially fly out of.
Speaker 2: Right, this hack does not I mean for some people it's like we have one airport and this is only the hub for whatever. I have a lot. I have three airports in your meeting, so that's a hack too. Look at all the smaller airports in your by. I didn't figure that out until just a couple of years ago. I was like, we can fly from West Palm, and now I fly from West Palm all time, smaller, quieter. How far is it from you? An hour an hour and Fort Lauderdale is Fort Lauderdale's thirty minutes and Miami is honestly also an hour a traffic but if you're doing like a big international flight, you'd probably go from Miami. But a lot of the domestic ones, yeah, there's certainly a reasonable amount of service from Fort Lauderdale. Well, because I'm an in Philadelphia and there's major international airport here is an American hub, that kind of means by default, like I'm flying on American unless there's a really good reason not to, which is that American doesn't fly wherever it is direct, in which case, rather than transfer, I drive to Newark because Newark is an hour and fifteen minutes away.
Speaker 1: So kind of just a little bit more than your Miami deal, and that is a United hub, so then I am always on United if I am going there, I tend not to be on.
Speaker 2: Any other airline other than that.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, I'm sure the other airlines are great, they're just not here, so I don't fly.
Speaker 2: It's actually a good hack though, to drive and fly direct.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh, to drive it, yeah, I mean, because the odds of something going wrong are just so much bigger if you're transferring somewhere and you can get stuck in an airport that is not anywhere that you want to be, right Like, I mean, if you're flying directory, either are at your house, which is fine, you just go home, or if you're at your destination, presumably you either knew someone there or there was something you were doing there, like you have some connection there, so like you can go back.
Speaker 2: To that whatever that was.
Speaker 1: Whereas if you're stuck in O'Hare, you're just like at the stupid hotel that's near O'Hara that I've been at more nights than I care to be.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we digress, all right, next next on me.
Speaker 1: All right, you got bonus life acts there, so this is occasionally I get some pushback on this, but just wash everything together on cold because most things don't bleed. Now, if you have a kid who bought some like cheap item, that's fusia and like, you know, you suspect that it's going to bleed, like, maybe do that separately. But if it's something that's been worn and washed more than once, if you wash everything together uncold, it will probably be fine.
Speaker 2: I've never had a problem with it.
Speaker 1: The other hack related to that is if each person has an individual load, then there is no sorting. So I'm not saying you should always do this because sometimes you know, you just need to throw a lot of people's different stuff in there, But particularly if your house doesn't have a ton of people, it might work to instead of doing four mixed loads in the course of the week, do four loads of each one person stuff and then nobody has to sort anything and.
Speaker 2: You're all happier. Yeah, that's actually I should think about that. I hate the sorting, and we absolutely do a mixed load almost every single day, So maybe you need to think about some kind of a rotation.
Speaker 1: Yes, a rotation, because it's just the same, like to do every three days or every four days, like the person has the same number of clean clothes.
Speaker 2: It's just you know, it's only that you can't then like count on like every single day, having every single option available to you. But like probably you can get your house lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, Sarah, you do another before we take a break. Sure, Okay, when you are running low on something you use regularly, replace it with at least two.
Speaker 2: So I think this is an over buyer underbuyer thing where like why but I like, we were running low on running gels because, as I mentioned, the marathon and my husband's also training, so we got a lot of gels being consumed and I was like, yeah, we're getting it on subscribe and say, but let me just build up a giant buffer. I'm gonna buy like two extra boxes, because like why buy one when you know you're gonna use it anyway. I guess this would also not be the best hack if you live in a tiny New York apartment, but I definitely don't, so yeah, replace it if it's like something you're gonna use, like get that build that backstock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've done this with I mean, realizing things like you're going to use a lot of sunscreen in the summer, so just buy extras and put them anywhere you might use them. Or hand sanitizer, for instance, which we use a lot of in the winter. You know, you just put it by a lot of them, put them anywhere you might use, and the extras will nudge you to actually use them. I was just gonna say one related to that about over buying though. If you have an item that you are seeing that you truly love and it is the sort of thing that might wear out, like a pair of jeans, a pair of shoes, a particular running pant or something like that, and you see you really love it, like, go ahead and buy more of it, right because at some point they're going to stop making it and you are going to be very very sad. But that said, here's the real hack part. If you can't find it because they've stopped making it, go on eBay or Poshmark, because often people are selling stuff there they use the NWT as new with tags, Like I don't want to buy new like us stuff necessarily, but like they're reselling it new with tags, and so then you can find stuff that is no longer being manufactured, and I would.
Speaker 2: Say if you find it, you should buy two buy two.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, with that thought, we're going to take a quick ad break and we will be right back with a few more life hacks.
Speaker 2: All right, well, we are back.
Speaker 1: Talking all things life hacks. So here is one related to this season, this time of year we are coming into the holidays, which is that you can buy nice gift tags for your immediate family and then save and reuse them year to year. So if you have a place in your house where you store Christmas decorations or something like that, you can just if you have nice gift tags, not you know, like a little sticker that's gonna get ripped off with the paper, but you know, something more substantial. You are going to be giving gifts to the same members of your immediate family every single year. So something that says from Mommy and Daddy to Alex has a shelf life of decades if it doesn't fall apart. So we save a box of these, and then I don't have to buy new ones, or I don't at least have to buy as many new ones each year, and it's just a nice little upgrade. There are also other things with gifts you can reuse. I save gift bags from kid parties. So if my kids are having a birthday party and their friends give them a gift in a gift bag, usually people don't write on the bag itself, like they don't put the kid's name on the bag itself.
Speaker 2: That's either in a card in there or they attach a tag to the bag.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just reuse it because it's only been used once or unless they've been reusing it too, which is fine. Like the more use you can get out of it, the better, and then you always have something that you can wrap an odd shaped object in for the future.
Speaker 2: I love it. Plus the reuse gift tags, like there could be a nostalgia factor too. It's not even just that it's like nice to already have it, but like, oh the Christmas gift tags, like I've seen those before. Yep, yep, all right, Sarah, here's all right, Okay. This is one where I'm like, I think probably most people have tried this or do this. But then again, I often go to Starbucks and I go and I pick up my pre ordered mobile thing, and I see people standing there annoyed waiting for their drinks. So maybe everyone doesn't know this, but and I'm not knocking, like you know, the experience of going to Starbucks and ordering and sitting down. Sometimes that's what you want. But if you just want to procure your Starbucks, ordering ahead on the mobile app is like the best thing ever. And I actually think it's faster if you go in the store versus drive through. So I'm very grateful and happy that we have a Starbucks on campus at our hospital. So if I want to get it, like in the morning, right before I start seeing patients, I know I can order it when I'm at the kids' school, knowing that I'm about like fifteen minutes from work, and then when I get there, I can pick it up and it's all hot and ready. It has my name on it. And yeah, you also get like deals through the app. So if you frequent Starbucks and you haven't done it this way, give it a try. You may love it. You can still sit there if you want to. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and you I mean just sort of piggybacking on that additional hack you have about using apps in general, Why don't you mention that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of times, you know, you can always go to American Airlines and book on the website, but sometimes these companies have apps that make things even easier. Like examples would be Starbucks or the Marriott app. The Bonvoy app is like super super easy, and I'm sure all other hotel chains, et cetera. So if there's a kind of brand or empire that you frequent that has an app, try it because a lot of times that process can be more streamlined than trying to just go online and do it at their native website.
Speaker 1: So Starbucks is a great example of that exactly. So here's one for people who get cold. This is a handful of hacks for people who get.
Speaker 2: Cold a lot.
Speaker 1: Turn on the seat warmer in your car. Now, again, this may be something that like ninety nine percent of people knew about, but I didn't know about this in my car until about like seven years into owning my car, Like, what's this little toggle thing on the side, And it turns out that it warms your seat And that is just like so nice if I am driving people around in the cold and all of a sudden, I am feeling nice and toasty. Two other things with that, if you are a person who is often cold getting out of the shower, use two towels. You put one on your hair, one on your body, and that way you are not having to unwrap.
Speaker 2: Your body to dry your hair.
Speaker 1: You know it, just like everything can stay warm and wrapped up and covered and you are not cold. You should also purchase hot hands in bulk for your pockets. Just put them by the door. If you are going outside for any length of time in the winter, you can just stick these little things in your coat pockets. Because people who are cold, it doesn't matter like how thick of an item you are wearing. Like you could have the best coat in the world, you have the best boots, best socks, best mints, it's not gonna help because you personally are not creating enough warmth. And so all those things are premised on the idea that they are trapping warmth that then keeps you warm. But if you are not producing that warmth that you know is enough to make you feel warm, then you need an additional source. And this is where like the seat warmer in the car or the hot hands in your pocket comes in.
Speaker 2: It can makes the experience much more pleasant. I love those hot hands on ski trips m hmm.
Speaker 1: Essential, although I don't think you can check them, I mean pack them with you, like in your carry on or.
Speaker 2: Something you Yes, you are correct, and it actually like depends on the airport. Okay, but you can check them. I believe you just can't carry them on or it's the opposite. I don't know, look it up. We had to make the sub last time, but we did successfully bring you right, okay, either in our carry on or check following the rules to Montana. I just don't remember which it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm any ski store at the lodge will sell them too. I mean it's not like yeah, yeah, so you can buy them there if you needed to.
Speaker 2: All Right, So what's your next one? All Right, I'm going to go with text expansion, which I don't think you like.
Speaker 1: So I don't just like it, just it's not as big a part of my life as yours.
Speaker 2: So maybe you can explain. So I use this into context. Number one. At work, it's huge, So we use EPIC, which is the most common electronic health record, and if you're on it, you probably do this, But if you're on something else, and maybe it's not as obvious. There should be some way of creating little shortcuts to type, like one word and then it turns into a whole giant template. Or multiple paragraphs of texts, and I have accumulated so many of these phrases over the course of my time being at work that really almost anything I'm gonna explain to a patient, I can just type like dot shoot thyroid and it has my whole thing, and then I can edit it and customize it for whatever patient that is. So that has definitely kind of like bled into my rest of my life. And I found out through Mac You just it's actually through the keyboard menu, and it's shockingly easy to do. But I even have like some of the some of the courses I do. There's certain emails that get sent out, but I want to be able to customize them, so I don't want it sent automatically. But I I can type like just like welcome BLP, and I'll have that'll generate like a whole multiple paragraph thing that I can then customize and change and whatever. So I have multiple of these, and they definitely save me a ton of time. I mean, the other thing I could do is like go and find it old email and copy and paste, but this is so much quicker. I've also to do it for like my administrative job, like we'd have a million residency applicants anytime they're kind of sort of saying the same thing again to people, but it's not totally automated. This is like a game changer game two arm.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, all right, well I bet that does save a ton of time if you have to type the same thing over and over again.
Speaker 2: Not typing the same thing over and over again sounds like it, And I agree with you that, like I don't need like TMO to be like tomorrow. Like that's not going to help. It's more like, oh, I can type one word and I have like six paragraphs. Yes, yes, that's a real, real benefit for sure. Cool.
Speaker 1: So here's one that's also a holiday related again because this episode is airing in December, but if you are in a Christmas mood at some point other than December, which I had a child who was excited about it even in July, one thing you can do is get old December editions of magazines from the library, right because your library has subscriptions and probably dating back many years to a number of consumer magazines. And so if you are thinking to your I would love a December Better Homes and Garden right now, you can go to your library and get it. You can actually do a lot of magazines and such on the Libby app too, So if you find yourself hankering for Christmas content in August, you can just look it up, get some holiday magazines, and right.
Speaker 2: There you are in the mood. I wonder if I could look up like nineteen nineties editions of sase. Oh, I'm sure you can. Oh yeah, it would be really fun. Well, I no, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know that all of those would be digitized on a library collection. I mean you might have to go to a different library somebody would, like in the state of Florida. I'm sure there's somebody who has digitized someone is archive sass.
Speaker 2: Yes, but you might need to be a little bit more strategic about finding something like that. Yeah, yeah, love it all right. Here's a like very like I don't know basic, but I didn't figure it out for a while, so I'm thrown in there, which is that if I have a kid that has a sports that are going a little bit late when we're pleating dinner for everyone, just plate that kids dinner too and have it already set as a plate to be heated, versus having to like go back in and get it out and get the serving spoon again, and blah blah blah. It's way way faster. I guess. Like the only caveat is if the kid comes home and is like I don't want that, which does sometimes happen, then okay, but then you can always put it back and then you still would have had to have gotten out the thing. So I feel like most of the time you win. But what if things are different temperatures on the plate, then I would just do the heated part and then I would take the salad or whatever, like the whole part is gotcha, all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, pre prepping plates is good in general. I always do that for at least the two younger boys, like everyone else, can kind of make their own plates, and I trust they won't completely avoid like all fruits and vegetables. But Henry needs stuff set out for him and Alex has his own personal taste, which you know, I at least try to deal with. But what that means is I'm individually plating their stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, big fan of that. All right. Here's something.
Speaker 1: If you need to remember anything in your life, you should set an alarm like on your phone, Like if something you're like, I'm gonna need to pick somebody up at this time, And of course the alarm.
Speaker 2: Isn't specific, like it's just gonna ding.
Speaker 1: But what's gonna happen is you're gonna remember, like, oh, I need to do something, and then you will go back and figure out what it is you need to do, or hopefully you have good notes somewhere, but it will jolt you out of what you are doing. You can also write things on your hand. I did this in school a lot, like if I, you know, was a when I was younger, like writing something I absolutely had to remember on my hand. But I mean, you do look at your hand, right, And so I have done this with a kid in sort.
Speaker 2: Of like a low key.
Speaker 1: Manner, like if they need to remember to go home in the car line instead of the bus, just encouraging them to write a CE on their hand like nobody else knows what it is. So people aren't looking and pointing like why are you writing all over your hand? It's just, you know, a little thing, but it nudges them to remember, all right, I have like.
Speaker 2: A deep one. And then we'll take a break to embrace repetition when it works and this is a fine balance. Laura has talked about how if you repeat things too often and lead the monotonous life, it can go too fast and then you like blink and you miss it. And I get that, and at the same time, there are certain things where like if you know something works, to just like stick with it and make your life easier. So I have a few examples of this where I don't feel it causes the issue, Laura says, but instead brings me joy because it's like, these are things I'm repeating because I love them. Number One signature dish. Just have something you always make for me, It's key lime pie. If I'm asked to bring something, if I have time to make it, I'm making a key line pie. Or like wearing scrubs to work and making that executive decision that I just wear fig scrubs and a Figs jacket to work and have a color rotation and I don't have to think. And then this is maybe a controversial one, but I'm really and We've talked about this, but I'm super into like repeating vacation destinations. If I find a place I absolutely love like, I'll keep going there. That's good.
Speaker 1: All right, We're going to take a quick ad break and then Sarah will end us off with just one or two quick more and then we'll go into our question.
Speaker 2: All right. Well we are back.
Speaker 1: Sarah and I are in the same closet together in my office recording here.
Speaker 2: So we've been talking life hacks.
Speaker 1: Sarah, why don't you just do your last two.
Speaker 2: To end with that and then we'll go into our question section. All right. My second to last was to set the next date. This applies to basically everything doctor's appointments, book club, check ins with your teacher, a date with a friend, but really anything that you do that you want to do again, you might as well at least set a tentative next date. If it needs to move, it needs to move, that's fine, But if it's something you intend to repeat, it's just so much easier to already have it on the calendar and then you can always modify if needed. So highly recommend that. And then finally, this is a hack that I haven't done. I think one of our Patreon members mentioned this and I was like, yes, yes, yes, consider putting socks by the door. If this tends to be the rate limiting step in getting out the door in the morning. This is absolutely our rate limiting step for sometimes all three children and they have to wear socks to school. They're not allowed to just wear crocs or sandals, even though climate wise they could. Often my kids end up wearing their socks in their hand and they're going in bare feet on a gravel drive. But like, it is such a problem, and I could put the socks by the door and I will. Yes, all right, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 1: Just one more quick one for me, which is that if you don't want your beverage to order the water down in a restaurant, you can always ask for light ice, and in your own home you can make ice cubes out of other things in order to keep a beverage from being watered down. So some people do you know ice coffee, though, will freeze coffee in an ice tray because then you can use that. I've seen people use grapes like frozen grapes in wine or something like that. But of course you can also buy plastic ice cubes that will not melt if you don't want water and whatever it.
Speaker 2: Is, frozen grapes and wine.
Speaker 1: I love that, yeah, all right, So moving on to our question, Sarah, do you have that?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. How do you find planning activities to be different or teens? I've noticed there isn't as much urgency because they aren't toddlers bouncing off the walls, and a lot of things plan themselves because it's a sports schedule, et cetera, and we all have to follow it. However, for that downtime between sports seasons or activity seasons, what can you plan as a family? What might you suggest? Yeah, tough question.
Speaker 1: Well, on some level, I think teens don't necessarily always want you planning things for them because they will have things they want to do with their friends, and friend plans tend to happen last minute. So you know, if you've planned a family afternoon at whatever, attract the odds that one of your teens is like, but Jodie's having a get together over there, and I want to go to it, Like and you know, are you going to have a knockdown, drag out fight that you want them to go to the aquarium with you? Like they're not going to go to the aquarium with you? Like this is just you know, that ship is sailed by the time they are mostly adult people. I think concentrating on a few sort of bigger, high quality things you can do as a family, and that ideally are things that they truly want to do as well. So it might be going to a concert, it might be going to a sports event.
Speaker 2: That they are very excited about, a.
Speaker 1: Weekend trip somewhere, and just putting a couple of those in a year can help you feel like you still have family activities, even if it's not like every Saturday, you guys are going to the pumpkin patch together or anything along those lines anymore, and then really just being attuned to what they enjoy doing as quick activities. Two of my kids wind up going to Old Navy shopping that they tend to like their clothes, and they're relatively cheap, so I don't mind it as a destination to go pick up random things. And obviously Starbucks is eternal. You're going to Starbucks multiple times per week, I believe at this point.
Speaker 2: And I don't how teens, but I have an almost teen, and I feel like the tween years are sort of similar. But I feel like, don't even discount stuff like going out to dinner, like, yes, they may be hanging with their friend or working on a school project or something. But if they're coming home and then the family's going out somewhere, then that still counts as time, even though it wasn't you know, the same kind of outing you might have had when they were toddler's bouncing off the walls, and that's okay. This might be a time that they're doing some social stuff, you get to do some of your own stuff, and you're still getting it together at the end. I think family vacations to me are super important to me for this reason because it's like maybe the last vestiges of some protected time, and if you're going somewhere that they love, then they're excited to do that. And then you had also mentioned the idea of sometimes bringing a friend in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, if you're taking you're thinking, like take a kid to a movie, like it's not that hard to get an extra ticket, and then have the kids invite somebody. You know, that's an option for them to do, and they'll probably be a lot more excited about it if they're bringing a friend. I would also say, like as kids get older, sometimes they're gone with dinner stuff, if they have late activities or whatever.
Speaker 2: But if they are home.
Speaker 1: They become much more pleasant dinner companions when they're not throwing food on the floor anymore or you know, running up after one minute because they've decided they're done with dinner at this point. So I found that, you know, we're actually sitting around the table a little bit more, my teenagers and I and like a weekday or something and just.
Speaker 2: Chatting and it's kind of nice.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I again, it's not like going apple picking necessarily or the adventurers who would have planned when they were little, but it's still quality time and just being open and available to that and noticing when it.
Speaker 2: Happens can go a long way. It still counts, It still counts. It all still counts.
Speaker 1: So I guess love of the week, I mean, I don't know, do our life hacks kind of count as that.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll use the Starbucks mobile apps Starbucks mobile app as your love of the week. Well, I love that too.
Speaker 1: I definitely enjoy having that whenever it is, But I like recording in person as well. It's so nice to be able to do this occasionally. So my love of the week is the fact that Sarah's extended family lives pretty close to.
Speaker 2: Me, because yeah, it's very convenient. It's very convenient.
Speaker 1: We may both be running the Thanksgiving five k at the local y. Right, you're running that or you're not going to run it.
Speaker 2: I'm running that unless it's pouring rain. That's true, that's part right. I may not dine out what happened? Did we run it? Did we not? What was Sarah's time? How many minutes behind her was Laura? Let's not ask that question? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, this has been best of both worlds. We've been talking life hacks this week. We will be back next week with more on making work in life fit together.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. You can find me Sarah at the shoebox dot com or at the Underscore shoe Box on Instagram, and you.
Speaker 1: Can find me Laura at Laura vandercam dot com.
Speaker 2: This has the best of both worlds podcasts.
Speaker 1: Please join us next time for more on making work and life work together.