Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of The Weekly Zeitgeist. Uh. These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: My infant nearly died in a drug fire with the mass shootings.
Speaker 1: After mass shootings, after the mass shootings cause the drug We don't know. We don't know what he say?
Speaker 2: Oh, is he in proximity of a drug fire.
Speaker 1: With his with inter mass shootings?
Speaker 3: Didn't die?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know what's fine?
Speaker 1: Has happened. It's like, yeah, exactly, life has been has happened in the aftermath mass shootings. So I guess that's true generally, right, Yeah, I guess you know, everything is after that shooting. Was out of.
Speaker 4: School, though it sounds like he wasn't ask Miles.
Speaker 1: You're thrilled to be joined in our third and fourth seats by the very funny hosts of the podcast dead Heads, which is a true crime look into who murdered their bank accounts, nay, all of our bank accounts. Please welcome Jamie Feldman and Rachel Webster. Is that right?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 4: Just want to clarify just in case people think it's dead heads.
Speaker 5: It's de debt heads did it. But everybody's still he do.
Speaker 4: Everybody still thinks it's it's not this year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're like, we'll meet you in.
Speaker 6: Debt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Bit of a debt head. That's how I pronounced dead.
Speaker 2: Have you made merch that looks like grateful Dead stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Actually it's in progress. It's yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, I feel like the Grateful Dead left. It would be like super re litigious, you know, like how that generation.
Speaker 5: We had the Grateful Dead bears in our first original like seven hundred page deck that we were sending to potential sponsors, and then we were like, we need to have a one page deck and also get rid of the dancing pairs in our artwork.
Speaker 4: So we came up with our own artwork. But it wasn't an inspiration early on. Yeah, continues to be Yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It feels like kind of like an ironic sentiment like grateful debt somehow in our something.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, is that something?
Speaker 3: You let me write that down?
Speaker 1: You should be great?
Speaker 3: That is what they say to our generation.
Speaker 2: Can I be on your podcast? Can I be your podcast now?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? We need to make a new episode, so this maybe this is it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is what we're Instead of writing our new episode, we're on this podcast.
Speaker 3: So thank you guys for giving us some classics.
Speaker 1: How much of your portfolio is invested in avocado toast? This is my first question, my main problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's tae get a step back.
Speaker 2: Well, they're they're even worse off than we thought.
Speaker 1: Okay, you have to strike while the iron Okay, I'm gonna just do a fill in the blank. You guys are gonna tell me you got to strike while the irons.
Speaker 5: On on on the steam setting wish.
Speaker 3: Yes, don't work when they're standing bolve.
Speaker 1: What is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are?
Speaker 7: Well, I'll tell you this one. I may have done something. Maybe I've done You guys will know if I've done it. Have I ever done this one where where it's the woman who runs who lives under the roller coaster in Coney Island?
Speaker 1: No, I have never done that.
Speaker 7: Okay, it's a short documentary.
Speaker 2: I think you may have referenced it, but I just started watching it because you sent the Lincoln. Okay, no, I've never seen this one.
Speaker 7: It's awesome. It's just like I mean, it's just me fantasizing about you know, old Coney Island or old middle class you know, where people are eating cheese sandwiches and stuff, you know, and they call it. That was like like you know, like you know, there.
Speaker 2: Was like, how would you do today?
Speaker 1: I had a great cheese sandwich.
Speaker 7: Now I'm going to bed, you know.
Speaker 1: And I used to be able to, you know, afford a house on a waitress's salary. And that house was under the Coney Islands. And I saw a woman, right, I saw a woman that was cool. It was a great day. Did you talk to her?
Speaker 8: No, I'm gonna wait till I'm gonna wait till I see her a bunch more times.
Speaker 1: Then I might say good evening.
Speaker 2: Wow, I can't wait till the move to the city, like you like I.
Speaker 7: And then if you go on a roller coaster, I mean, then you're done. Your bucket list is over. The bucket rish back then was like go to the fair eating a cheese sandwich, and then you.
Speaker 2: Know, you know what when we go to Coney Island, I'm going to audition a new way of walking, just to try it out.
Speaker 1: I kind of walk like this island. It was a big hit on the boardwalk. A couple of weeks, you're doing a second bob and you're sitting in the middle of the first bob, kind of like you're dancing, but to a little rhythm in your heart. That's why I married him.
Speaker 7: I saw him bob and down the boardwalk. He looked like a jerk, but.
Speaker 1: I kind of thought it was a little bit of sparkle. The just why I watched the beginning of the documentary and this woman was like, Yeah, I like got a job waitressing at Coney Island, and then it ends with her living in a house that's under the roller coaster. Yeah, and Cony so.
Speaker 7: So like, first of all, my favorite part about it is that the man who owned the roller coaster was a respected local businessman and he owned a roller coaster and lived under it, and that was like and he was like a pillar of the community because the whole thing was based on amusement. So it was like, you know, the guy, I don't know that he had a zoning issue or something. They had to talk to the guy who owned the like flume and then they had to bring and the guy who owned the anyway, so he owned a roller coaster and lived under the roller coaster and that was his business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when your career, I'm thinking about building a roller coaster on my house. It wasn't just charging it.
Speaker 7: It was a hotel before. I guess that that house. And I knew of the house because of two things, like because the Woody Allen movie Uh any Hall, he lived in this house, and I figured it was fake for the movie. I didn't know it was a real house. And then I went to Coney Island in the nineties and saw the roller coaster at that point had been abandoned. Although she may have still been living in that house, I didn't realize. And like I was there in like ninety three. I think she may have still been in the house, but the roller coaster was overgrown and because her husband had died and so the roller coaster wasn't operating anymore. But she was still living in the house and she raised her kids in that house and they It's just this just an amazing story of just like I don't know, just back when you could own a roller coaster and that was like you're living and you know, obviously that was not for everybody. You couldn't have I guess there was some privilege involved, probably not just everybody can have their own roller coaster. But this guy, you know, he went out every morning and inspected the coaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like pick up the paper and then just like kind of take give it a nice look over. Want kids to make sure.
Speaker 7: The kids got to collect all the stuff that fell out of the pockets.
Speaker 8: Some guy goes, they we had everything wiggs, you know, wigs pucket, thirty baseball caps, a day hitler, youth pin.
Speaker 1: Everything. There's such a whimsical story that it makes me disre like, have so much less respect for mother Goose fairy tales, like an old woman who lives in a shoe, Who fucking cares that's this woman lives in a fucking roller coaster.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, And and anyway, I love Coney Island because Coney Island. So then I'm gonna segue into my over underrated. I don't know if I'm allowed to do that, but no underrated is Coney Island.
Speaker 1: Go there, But I didn't know that's right is going on?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry movie.
Speaker 2: So we got new listeners coming in they think we're going to talk about the news right now.
Speaker 7: Oh watch the documentary it's called like the House under the roller Coaster or.
Speaker 2: Just one thing about that. The part that was rage inducing for me was like the simplicity of life then, like to your point, Chris, of like just the nostalgia for like I had a cheese sandwich, like when she was just like and.
Speaker 7: I knew all the concession is or as soon as they walked in that guy, the one who is scrambled eggs with toes, this is roast beef on rye And I'm like.
Speaker 2: What a fucking what a whimsical time when that was all you all you really thought about that? Yeah, you know, you know, keeping black people from owning land in the area.
Speaker 7: Right, I mean, that's the problem is it's not it was, but there was. It's a big problem. But there was a living wage was I mean, it was easier to buy a house. And that just leads to dignity, dignity, privacy, that's what it turns out. Those are things that losing your privacy means you lose your dignity. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but privacy was something is something we should have or should continue to guard. It's not just private. It sounds like privacy. Who cares? I mean, I don't care. I'm open, you know, that's not it. Privacy is about Privacy is about having a place of your own. And before the Internet, regardless of what situation you were in, you could at least have some dignity because you called the shots in that space, and you know, maybe not at work. I mean, it's obviously more complicated, but these people are basically not rich people and they were getting to, you know, raise kids in a way. No, there's never a mention in that that that they were broke and they owned a roller coaster. I mean, you know, I mean there's and in terms of in terms of market economy, I like that too. It's like give a person a ride to get get a nickel or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, Like the simplicity of that.
Speaker 7: Now, it's like give someone all your money in return for like the world's worst internet service or or whatever you know, you give you give these tech billionaires everything and you all you get is a is like a cardboard box with a six pack of soda as fast as you want, likes not nearly as much fun as a roller coaster.
Speaker 1: All the roller coasters have been bought up by private equity, and they like something, you know what I mean, Like they've like somehow ruined them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they close them up and let Justin Bieber go on them all the time or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's so wild a roller coaster. For the guts of the roller coaster are like the two things I know them for are like being strewn with baseball hats and like wallets and ship and beheading people. The fact that she raised children in that environment is.
Speaker 7: Oh, she said, she has this crazy accent that's like some old old you know who knows. I guess the Corney Island.
Speaker 1: Doesn't exist anymore. Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 7: Yeah like her and like, I don't know, Babe Ruth probably would have said, oh, you talked the same as me. But uh oh, you own that roller coaster. You're a small business owner. Yeah, you're an entrepreneur.
Speaker 1: And it is still privacy even if like hundreds of people are passing by your windows. But they're doing it at like sixty miles per hour. They're not going to see they can't enough. Yeah, they're going to.
Speaker 2: Be like I think I saw a naked old dude likes.
Speaker 7: She said, we just got used to it.
Speaker 1: No, we just got used to it.
Speaker 7: And the kids were like, you know, like they enjoyed growing up in that growing up in that house, and there's a piano in there.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it just looked crazy.
Speaker 7: I would like, let's put it this way, I would like to own a roller coaster. It's like gang and I was in the hole the handle, and I want to be nice and I want to tip my hat, and I want to smoke rum soaked cigars, and I want pickup wigs, and I want to do the things that nowadays you're just going to find, like you know, vight pens, like maybe a couple of iPhones and probably another Hitler youth pin or something totally anyway, I just I just love that this this uh just seeing like sort of just that. Oh, I don't know, just I love Coney Island because okay, so then go ahead. Can you say it's time for.
Speaker 1: My famous it is time for the other one. What's something best that you think is underrated?
Speaker 9: Vacuuming? I absolutely love to vacuum.
Speaker 1: If you'd like me to vacuum.
Speaker 9: Your house, I'll come over and vacuum the hell out of it.
Speaker 2: Oh you really like vacuuming like that.
Speaker 9: I love vacuuming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is, oh good?
Speaker 2: Is it just like the process of it of seeing a thing I think I have, Like when I see the canister fill up, I'm like, get the fuck in there, you.
Speaker 1: Pieces of ship? Nice cry asshole. You could get away, didn't you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: The only thing that makes me mad while vacuuming is if it tells you got to clean the filter something because they got too much little dust, tiny particles. I'm like, oh, I don't have dyme for this. I need to suck up more particles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all gonna get away.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I really love vacuuming. I invested in many years ago in a Melley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so much.
Speaker 9: And then I got a Dyson because I as everybody was saying, that's what's up. But and it's pretty good. I don't want to because they can hear me right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a guy behind Diyceon's. It's a huge piece of ship.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like I was like it was one of those things as a millennial like I aspired to own, like especially you know, growing becoming of age in the two thousand and eight financial crisis and being out of college at.
Speaker 1: The time, like, dude, I'll never fucking have that.
Speaker 2: And then you see you read about this guy and you're like, oh, you're like a anti immigrant piece of shit.
Speaker 9: That sucks.
Speaker 1: Really, what's up?
Speaker 9: I hope me Elie is good because they're the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they're French or something, right, they're from a different turnament.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miles Dison also started the Terminator Apocalypse.
Speaker 2: That's the one Miles Dice and we do recognize, not Sir James Dyce in the Brexit free Sir James.
Speaker 1: That's, by the way. I couldn't disagree more. I have a dog's a version of vacuums. I run out of the room every time a vacuum is too loud, very threatening. Do you when you're vacuuming, are you like listening to music or you or you're just like kind of hearing that that is the music man.
Speaker 9: Honestly, it's like music is this work in its own way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially get on some rug or carpet and you're fighting that thing.
Speaker 1: Devil like or Dyson commercial. At some point where like Fred Astaire was vacuuming.
Speaker 9: Oh I didn't see that. Yeah, I'm not listening to anything except the hum of that machine.
Speaker 2: Sound of the dirt, and just hearing, just hearing the little crumbs flicker in the canister.
Speaker 9: Maybe someone gets caught and you gotta be able to got it. That's why you gotta have an open here. You can't have that vacuum me battling something without Yeah, you gotta hear it.
Speaker 1: What is something? So we did? We we already covered the.
Speaker 2: Overrated Yeah, I guess so in the cold open. Oh maybe it was underrated, overrated whatever? This one, this one might be a miles only kind of jam. It's being mad that your mom was right about some stupid Asian ship that when you're a kid you are certain was wrong. And here's mine. Growing up, my mom would routinely say, no, on a hot day, what you want to have is hot soup because that will cool you down. And like, I think, like many Americans, but many I would say people, even that sounds fucking crazy and unpleasant.
Speaker 1: And I the other day, when.
Speaker 2: It was very hot in Los Angeles, I was like, fuck it, I just want some fun. I went and got fun in like an unair conditioned restaurant in Chinatown, so sweaty. What I will say is it did not cool me down particularly, but it made me so hot that I couldn't think anymore.
Speaker 7: And I didn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't worrying about the heat. So yeah, comparatively, because you've just scalded the inside of your body, that you go outside in the ambient temperature, it's like that Heidecker on, I think you should leave. It's like it's hot if you're if you're not expecting it to be Yeah, yes, exactly, it's supposed to be ice cold. It's supposed to be ice cold, exactly. So I think once a week. I think we're at the age where that sketch. That sketch changed my behavior. I started stretching every morning after that sketch. That sketch is one where it's not even a focus of the sketch, but every time he shifts on the couch, she goes oh, And I was like, I need to do mobility exercises.
Speaker 1: I do that as hemorrhoids, but yeah, it could be mobility.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I just I do it when when I thankfully, I think I've gotten myself out of the part of life or not of the of inflexibility where that becomes a constant, involuntary sound.
Speaker 1: That I may But they're like.
Speaker 2: It was tying my shoes where it got bad.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, I went in the ocean when I was Becky's and got like rocked by the waves, and like for the next twenty four hours when I would either sit down or stand up, I was making the most old man shit.
Speaker 2: I was being like, oh boy, oh you're doing I was vocalizing. They weren't even like yea, yeah, you got.
Speaker 1: This, okay, yeah, And and that's because I'm young and cool. Yeah yeah, well, and don't have that that was an injury.
Speaker 2: But I will say I have found I think I've talked about this on this show before. Just a wee bit of stretching in the morning. Oh yeah, you got to so much more than I want to admit. That was my That was my grandfather's end of life advice to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like I was on a piece of advice. Yeah, when it's into the end. I was like, bro, like, just get info, dump wisdom, dump on me. And he's like, man, the one thing He's like, you gotta stretch. Make sure you stretch. He's like, don't let your ship just get like fucking tight and and just seize up on you need to like, okay, damn, that's what you're thinking. Now, I'm like, shit, okay. The time that besides, actually these are both Netflix properties will listen to. This is simply the power of media and the magic of the movies. But this this came up for me when someone reviewed The Irishman, which is which is has de Neiro with like a youthful face and kind of yeah, and essentially that there was like, you know, it's the face is not as bad as you think, but he still looks his age because his movements are that of you know, his age, which is fine. It has a scene hard where yeah, where they've de aged him and he like beats somebody else and it is the least. It's just like, guys, get a body double here, what are we doing? Like you're just worried the whole time that he's going to topple over as he's supposed to be like showing off what a badass he is, and you're just like, oh, buddy, You're like, yeah, why why is your hand on your hip as you lean down to.
Speaker 1: I honestly thought about that scene when Mike Tyson fought that racist kid like the which one, oh j and or Logan Paul, Yeah, whichever of the Paul brothers, because of like his legs. Roy Jones Junior in the first round was like kind of like Mike's legs, And I was immediately like, that is exactly right. That's and I thought of the scene in The Irishman where like you could tell that he is not under the age of sixty because of the way he's like walking without bending his like there's no lightness, He's not light on his feet in any way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really telling. And Tyson used to be as a fighter like so that was the thing that I didn't really appreciate until I did a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of boxing.
Speaker 2: It's like he would like literally like drop it low sometimes during fights. Oh, he was so insanely flexible and like deft on his feet his heels. So yeah, to me an underrated part of his game because everyone feared the power.
Speaker 1: But it's like, no, he can he can duck in.
Speaker 2: A way that I did not realize a human could do my back out.
Speaker 6: Trying to yeah right now, yeah, my nurse, all right, let's take a quick break to just rest and stretch out, do our mobility exercises.
Speaker 1: Miles. All right, we'll be back to get into this. We'll be right back. And we're back, and so is the Democratic Party. They're back from the dead. They have a new strategy that everyone's like newsome baby, he's he's listing and they love it. The birthday folks. He should just start doing an actual Trump impression like what in his public appearances too, You might as well. I mean, yeah, in this area.
Speaker 9: Nothing holding anybody back at this point.
Speaker 1: Where who I mean, who fucking cares?
Speaker 2: I think it would be cool if we saw more elected Democrats do something more legislative to fight back. But I guess we can take ship posts and jokes for now. You know that that we'll we'll take that. It's a little swhere.
Speaker 1: Because he has such an anti don't give a fuck energy like he he seems like someone who is in a cold plunge right now. Oh, he's in a cold punch, right, He's in a cold plunge right Nowine smokes cigar right like do it, chasing every single trend for prolonging his life. You know, I mean, he's a big Joe Rogan fan man heard, and I totally that I love Joe Rogan, Sure, dickhead.
Speaker 2: But anyway, he's really taking social media by storm as he really he's really presenting himself as the anti Trump Democrat fighter.
Speaker 1: But on a rhetorical level period, not on a policy level.
Speaker 2: I mean there is I mean obviously he is trying to do like for like jerry mandering. He's like, look, if you want to add a bunch of seats, we can do that. I'm like, okay, that's that's fair. Like, look, you got to fucking fight fire with fire in that case. I don't disagree with that if that's what Texas is doing. But his recent posts are just basically We've talked about it, but it's him or one of his staffers just mimicking Trump's egocentric, incoherent style of using all caps and giving his ops stupid nicknames. The most popular response from the right has been some version of like, oh grow up, or this is actually cringe, and I'm like, this is okay, please tell us more. It's kind of genius, like because to effectively sort of take down Newsom's parody tweet style, you'd have to own that Trump himself is a dumbfuck who tweets like a four Chan ai bot with like questionable grammar skills. So they're just like they're trying to dance around it. Case in point, Dana Prino, who used to work in the Bush administration. She's on Fox. She gave this sort of take of She's like, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, can get can we read like one of them? Just so people for anybody who like me, had not tried to like, what's what's one of the because they are doing like I feel like he has a writer who's doing a pretty good job of like approximating the whole.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think any of us could easily do this, but I'm sure, but hey, bless whoever is getting paid to do that, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think he could, is what I'm saying. Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: That's where the liberal implosion is coming in, because they're like, just so everybody knows he's not really writing this. He has a writer, which is so funny. It's like, yeah, I mean, okay, that's what you need to say.
Speaker 1: He's I mean yes.
Speaker 9: Also, it reminds me of at least my little liberal threads corner is like, I'm allowed to not like stuff that Gavin did before, but like what he's doing now, it's like an announcement and it's like sure whatever, sure, yeah, I mean I like him, so you like when he did this, It's like.
Speaker 1: A like, America, why are you going out to dinner? Are we not?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: Guys?
Speaker 9: Remember when freaking John Kerry lost an entire election for being a flip fhopper, which technically just means changing over time?
Speaker 1: I mean, how could you not?
Speaker 9: How could you not looking back? I'm like, all you had to do in that moment in my opinion and we can't go back, is just like, yes, I've changed upon receiving new information.
Speaker 1: Right right? He did not do that, I don't think no, so yes.
Speaker 2: To give you an example of something that he tweeted August fourteenth, all caps, Donald is finished. He's no longer quote hot first to the hands, parenthetical so tiny and now me I haven't seen newsome have taken away his quote step. Many are saying he can't even do the quote big stairs on Air Force one anymore, uses the little baby stairs now sad tomorrow He's got this quote meeting with Putin in quote Russia, nobody cares. All the television cameras are on me, America's favorite governor, even low ratings. Laura Ingram parenthetical edits the tapes can't stop talking about my beautiful maps. You're welcome for Liberation Day America. Donnie Ja missed the quote deadline whoops, and now I run the show. Thank you for your attention to this matter. GCN that kind of shit, and then he'll post like ai slop of like a Time magazine cover with him like with a fucking crown on it.
Speaker 1: Like long one I had seen was him being prayed over by like hul Cogan with angel wings.
Speaker 2: And get kid Rock and Tipper Carlson.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then there's like another one where there's like this you know legislator in California, this guy Carl de Mayo. He's been like sort of just aiding Gavin Newsom, and Gavin like the office has been clapping back where it's like he's like this vulgar behavior from Newsom can't stand and he put you know a lot about vulgar behavior, wouldn't you, Carl? With like a screencap of The New York Post that says potential successor for San Diego's disgraced mayor his alleged history of openly masturbating in bathrooms. And then that's actually pretty good, No, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Like this is how they should be interacting with everything.
Speaker 2: There. Yeah, yeah, the window I mean like there is this is where people who kind of take like are witty with words, they have the edge on, just like the racist slop that comes out of the right where you're just like, oh, I don't know, Johnny Jerkoff, like, oh my god, how do you So this is Dana Perino giving her take, and she's just sort of like, this is like embarrassing, sad.
Speaker 1: Here's here she is huge Trump supporter. This person The.
Speaker 9: Thing is or at the debate.
Speaker 10: The other thing for me is that for the last week, Gavin Newsom and why am I giving him advice?
Speaker 9: You had to stop it with the twitter thing. I don't know where his wife is.
Speaker 10: If I want his wife, I would say, what you are making a fool of yourself, stop it, do not do not let your staff tweet. And if you're doing it yourself, put the phone away and start over. And if you want, he's got a big job as governor of California, but if he wants an even bigger job, he has to be a little bit more serious.
Speaker 9: Okay, I'm sorry, be a little more serious like the President of the United States that he is truly mimicking.
Speaker 1: She's doing the exact same thing as the President of the United States, but she's speaking to.
Speaker 2: Dumb people, right, And then so Newsom clapped back, he like screencapped that, or he like quote tweeted that clip and was like, dude, I've been doing this for a week and they still don't get it. And then he then posted, Dana ding Dong Pirino never heard of her until today, melting down because of me, Gavin C. Newsome, Fox hates that I am America's most favorite governor parenthetical ratings king saving America, while Trump can't even conquer the quote big stares on Air Force one anymore. Trump has quote lost his step, and Fox is losing it because when I type America now wins, thank you, thank you for your attention to this matter.
Speaker 1: Gcn ha.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Dana Prino then immediately went on Fox again to Fox explain that actually I do get what's going on, and let me does this version. Let me just play this clip because She's so defensive and just trying to find a way to sort of like explain how she does get it, but then starts digging up Zorn Mumdani kind of in the process. It's really strange. Here she is on the five, Jesse Waters tease her up.
Speaker 1: For this, the Martha's Vineyard comfab and a second Dana.
Speaker 7: But what was Gabyn doing there?
Speaker 10: He was reading tweets that were written for him by people that he is heavily investing in to try to help him look more like Trump. I guess, I mean, I thought they hated Trump, but they're trying to be more like him, and they have to pay people to do it. The thing is what I was saying yesterday is that I believe that everybody needs to find their own way. You don't see Governor Andy Basheer doing things like this. He's running his state. Governor Josh Shapiro running his state Governor, Gretchen Whitmer running her state, and they all You've got these problems. They all have things that they want to accomplish. They all might want to run in twenty twenty eight, and they are actually involved in being able to show what they show their work right, they'll be able to say these are the things that we did. California's got a huge amount of problems. And if you think about mom Donnie, his authenticity is what rocketed him to the top. And now you have Cuomo trying to copy him and it's just cringe. And that was my point, is that if you're doing this and it's not authentic and you're trying to do somebody else, so you say it's Hitler and you think that we don't.
Speaker 3: Get the joke.
Speaker 9: Oh no, we get the joke. It's just not funny. You don't get is it funny?
Speaker 1: Oh boy?
Speaker 2: So now she's basically doing like the junior high attack of like oh my god, like just not even original style, Like you're just biting his styles because I don't even have.
Speaker 1: Your own styles with him. When you're a.
Speaker 2: Bier, your pants is the cools really should be like look at my cankles I've got I've been cultivating my ankle strength and this diaper. I mean, yeah, this is just very funny to see her try to be like, look, if you want to win, you got to act like these other governors who are doing it, Like I don't I really don't understand.
Speaker 9: It's like a very stupid way of handling it. I don't even know if she knew what she was saying. It seems like, yes, it's a terrible but valid sort of response to it's to me, it's just still playing dumb though, because it's like, guys, you know, we're not copying his style to win, we're mocking. Yeah, it's called satire.
Speaker 2: Well no, and we get it. It's just not funny. Yeah, okay, that's fine. It sounds like it's struck. I mean, this feels like we're it's sort of we're back in the like weird sort of phase again when they were calling everyone weird and it was there it was fucking them up so bad.
Speaker 9: They're like, yeah, well fucking weird, God is weird?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like these motherfuckers are weird. And they're like uh oh, and now truly, I mean, it's like, it's just it's interesting to see that because they are such thin skinned bullies themselves that to just bully back in this way completely sort of is disruptive for them at least, yeah, like in their punditry. But again, unfortunately that's not dissuading them from abandoning the policies, which is what we are kind of left with in our lived reality. And I think, look, it's fine because I like to laugh at this shit and what like laugh at conservatives, but this this maybe with let's add a few more weapons here, if you're trying to fully fight back here rather than be like, dude, you see that, Dude, I got Trump so pissed. I'm going to be the nominee in twenty eight if there's an election, and I don't know, should I even work, Kevin, do some if you even want to run in twenty twenty eight. There's a lot of other shit that maybe needs.
Speaker 1: To get solved very quickly. Their instincts are so bad, like the mainstream Democratic Party's instincts are so bad like that. Yeah, that's funny. The last time I've seen them the other side, the Republican and conservative side, short circuiting like this is the weird thing, and they just like went away with that up from that for no reason, like they were just like, I don't know, it seems means let's quit it, let's cut it out. I hope they go with this, And yeah, I mean, if there was a lesson to learn from things that have succeeded from the Democratic Party in the past six months. I would prefer that they learned the lesson from Zorin Mamdani and be like, wait, these policies are actually popular, but they don't seem to be doing that. Right. If you combined those two things, wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah right exactly, or at least articulate a bunch of policies that are so antithetical to what's going on that people be like, oh, yeah, that's a way better way of doing things than whatever the fuck this is. But you have so many of the establishment Democrats are just in this sort of state of paralysis too, because they're like, I think it's just easier to be like Trump's lost it and he's distracting the country rather than really sort of sounding the alarm because this every day, like the existential threat to what we even thought was fucking normalcy is just fuck, it's going up in smoke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Should we talk about the Smithsonian real quick, because this is something that seems to be breaking through. Specifically, Trump literally said that the Smithsonian is too focused on quote how bad slavery was mm hmmmm, yeah, Like, oh my god, we get it, you get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's actually a lot worse than I was even taught in school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the vastly under reported. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but okay, okay, But the museums are like the one place that it is mentioned, and so they've got to get rid of those two on the margins, you know. So in March he signed an executive order directing the Board of Regents, the Board of Regents to eliminate quote improper, divisive or anti American ideology from their museums, and that has had a number of dramatic consequences, including the fact that weird Al has decided he will no longer be donating his Hawaiian shirt for an upcoming Smithsonian exhibit.
Speaker 9: Was that avery exhibitor?
Speaker 1: I don't think it was.
Speaker 2: He wanted it, though, He's like, I think it would be great in the African American.
Speaker 1: He's like, Weird, Hey, what the fuck we do sel? You know, maybe you never know that's true. So his recent post was the Smithsonians out of Control, where everything discussed is how horrible our country is, how bad slavery was, and how unaccompanied, how unaccomplished the downtrodden have been. Anyways, people looked into like, where where this is coming from? Because I can't imagine that Trump is spending a lot of time at the Smithsonian. They did take him on a tour of the Smithsonian, and the person who took them on that tour was like, he was not happy. Anytime anything vaguely negative was mentioned, he would get really upset, like like again, like like you're taking a fucking four year old on a you know, through a museum. At one point, he paused in front of the exhibit that discussed the role of the Dutch in the slave trade, and the guy was like, oh, is he some of us getting through? And then Trump remarked, you know, they love me in the Netherlands.
Speaker 2: So he was like, oh, never mind, this is about the Atlantic slave trade.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, they love me there. So the only name that is mentioned in this executive order that he filed back in March is Lindsay Halligan. Halligan, who is an ex Miss Colorado contestant from back when Trump owned the Miss Universe pageant, so like this was she was a pageant winner under his pageant ceo ship. She is a lawyer and she just met Trump at an event at his golf course, and he hired her right away. Was just like, I like the way you look. You seem smart, because she at the time she was volunteering for the Inner or interning for the Innocence Project, which is shocking. And but then she said that Trump reminded her of clients from the Innocence Project. Wait, what is that? Because I'm blind because he's being railroaded so much, you know, wow wow, oh wait, she said. She said Trump reminded her of people from people from the Innocent Project.
Speaker 2: Okay, master manipulator, I love that. I love that great.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Basically he has his own like this Karen, who will just roam DC and find things to be upset about and then report back to Trump.
Speaker 1: Right yeah. Like it's truly like the doge kid who got beat up by teenagers like big balls. It's just like people he knows just to determine the fucking entire agenda like of the US government. She moved to d C to work with Trump, and just before the inauguration went to the Smithsonian and that's where she made all of these discoveries that he is now rizly discoveries. Discoveries I mean to her, I think they were. I think they were truly discoveries. She was horrified that some exhibits mentioned racism and that others shockingly focused on quote, another country's history entirely had nothing to do with America. What the fuck? How do you even how would you do a museum that wasn't allowed to talk about other countries.
Speaker 2: We don't need content. I didn't come to a museum for context or historical accuracy. This is just I mean, you know, this is the playbook that the white nationalists have to run, is to try and sanitize any evidence of where this country or like the origins of this country and the ills that we've still not reckoned with. So it has to be just like I don't. It's like you know, it's it's like when you're like around a dysfunctional couple and like the dude is cheating all the time, and they bring it up, like why you got to talk about old shit? Yeah, it's like because it's.
Speaker 9: It's why I am the way I am to do.
Speaker 2: It's setting the table for everything we're experiencing now.
Speaker 1: Was bringing up a little shit.
Speaker 9: He's treating everything like a beauty pageant. He's like, it looks it's it's yucky to talk about that. We should only talk about positives. I don't want to see your cellulite America.
Speaker 2: Right, right, or then we ever had cellulite, or that even it existed, it never did. Everyone had barbie legs from the beginning.
Speaker 3: So gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything is like being made for that level of like vanity and vanity and like even the like concentration camps are like being named fun, Like.
Speaker 2: Saturday deportation Depot is, like they all have alliterative names. There's the other one that they're.
Speaker 9: Open gator Alcatraz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one in uh I think Iowa or Nebraska. They're gonna call corn the corn Clink.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about yesterday.
Speaker 9: Trump toilet is what they should all be called.
Speaker 2: Right, But again, like this is all also this helps to to put us like a fun name on it. Then people will be like, oh, it's just the corn Husker Clink rather than the site of untold atrocities being perpetrated against innocent human beings.
Speaker 1: Right, it's also too long of a name. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll talk about cassette tapes. Those are the thing I gain. And we're back. Huh, we're just talking phronsia talking space bags, talking phronsia space I.
Speaker 2: Used to call it hitting a volcano vaporizer courage.
Speaker 1: You would put the box one just in a box. You wouldn't have that space bag in there, you know, what do you mean, a saggy s box?
Speaker 4: Yeah, talk about I don't think you can of recycle the space bag now, just that's all.
Speaker 1: That's going to be left.
Speaker 2: They were an interesting people.
Speaker 1: They worshiped these spacebags. All right, finally some good news. DC is actually safe now.
Speaker 2: It has been declared even though we are fully into these second week of the Feds just absolutely taking over the capitol, not like even.
Speaker 1: A full week. We're in the second week, but like it hasn't been a full week since he declared, right, like that was happening at the beginning of last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we're like entering. Yes, I mean, but this is what this is.
Speaker 1: Just record breaking time that I've got I've got to say.
Speaker 2: Look, so yeah, dude, you know, so, I guess you know, once big balls got jumped by some kids and what was the saddest version of like what people are calling the Reichstag fire. Trump declared all out fed war on DC, and we've just seen countless clips and images of you know, just masked goons looking bored as hell on the streets of DC, like with their slouched posture and like stupid punisher masks, and people are like, dude, get the fuck out of my way. First of all, I've been reading something there's it's fucking up local businesses in DC because people are like, Bro, no one's coming to bars or restaurants because you have fucking goons everywhere. And the vibes are completely fucked up because it's a quote unquote war zone.
Speaker 1: But no matter, you don't like safety, come on, like this is not safe, bro Trumps from Jaws, You're like, get out there, Come on, guys, it's fun. The water's creating something.
Speaker 2: Although I did see a clip of some a bunch of goofed up loser mask cops try to violently arrest a guy and one of the goons thought he was like Ken Shamrock and the ww F or some shit and smashed his own head trying to suplex the guy like he was like wrestling and like fell back and then the cops just hit his own head, and then all the other cops like, dude, are you okay, and he's like no, He's like the dumbest shit, and then they're fucking violently arresting some innocent, fucking resident. But again, it's nonsense. Anyway, mister Donald has solved it. He declared victory on Kirkland signature Twitter. He said, quote DC gave fake crime numbers in order to create a fellas I lose and of safety. This is a very bad and dangerous thing to do, and they're under serious investigation for doing so. Until four days ago, Washing DC, Washington, d C was the most unsafe quote city.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the city he loves. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love a quote unsafe city in the United States and perhaps the world. Now, in just a short period of time, it is perhaps the safest and getting better every single hour. People are flocking to d C again, and soon the beautification will begin.
Speaker 1: So anyway, I wish that he.
Speaker 3: Wasn't the president because he's such a funny, stupid bitch.
Speaker 1: That is that is like most mortage speed that he's that he's claiming. This happened four days the most stand up and now people are literally were flocking flocking.
Speaker 5: I also just want to say one thing, like, I feel like Kirkland signature is too nice of a term.
Speaker 1: We actually Kirkland.
Speaker 3: We're at costco heads.
Speaker 7: In this true value.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't want to malign any of the storm because they give us an affordable alternative. But like anyway, the other lever that Trump does like to pull as a distraction aside from anti black racism is crime wave, the crime wave lever, because that is one of the few things that still people have crime in this like nebulous part of their brain where even though they have first hand experience with crime rates, dropping pundits on TV can just be like crime wave, like a common Michael Scott and it's somehow there lived experience and they're like, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's it's a crime wave right now.
Speaker 1: It's so unsafe.
Speaker 2: I've never seen crime where I live at all, but everything else is.
Speaker 3: But it's there, it's out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I heard about this one guy who yeah big, he got swept up in a crime wave. Guys, there's a fucking drug fire. There's a drug fire. He's walking his baby. Drug fire after the mass shooting.
Speaker 3: And the crime wave actually put it out. Because it was like a wave.
Speaker 2: First of all, my baby was trying to surf the crime wave on to a drug fire, and he bailed so hard into a mass shooting. One more time for everyone in the back. My infant nearly died in a drunk fire after mass shootings.
Speaker 5: Uh huh uh huh okay, merely died, nearly died.
Speaker 1: In a drug fire.
Speaker 2: I would love if he didn't even have a kid. They're like, Benny Johnson has no children. He's just straight up fucking lying to you.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I would like that better. I think that he realized he sounds like funnier.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It is boom times for white collar crime, though. But I will say this has been true since back in uh May, but now now it's getting even I mean it's been true since forever that white color crime, private equity anyone as defined as crime committed by wealthy financial institutions. But you know, white collar crime of all sorts. It's just like all the investigations, all the really bad ones that the FBI was like looking into, have been replaced with you know, going out and like sending a bunch of fucking bureaucrats out to just like mill about and be like glorified beat cups. They've been apparently reassigning white collar crime task forces to like do immigration enforcement now, which they're not pleased with as people who were got into the job of investigating white color crime. But you know, I'm sure it's I'm sure it's working and doing doing wonders for people are flocking.
Speaker 3: I hear people are flocking to white collar crimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 2: It's harder than TikTok.
Speaker 5: The only thing you have to make sure you don't do it when you do a white collar crime is then become a reality television star, because you can do one or the other, but you can't do both if you don't.
Speaker 2: Look who got out though, Look who got out though? You know what I mean, they got.
Speaker 4: Out when the white color criminal who was also a reality stars in the White House.
Speaker 3: They think it's okay, it's any other Yeah, yeah, like I mean more like the Real Housewives, Like they can't do those.
Speaker 2: Or Todd Chris, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah, right, I forgot about.
Speaker 7: It and they got out.
Speaker 2: Because again, the rules are, if you're white and do white collar crime, then you have a shot at getting a pardon.
Speaker 3: Isn't that what the white and crimes I feel it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, white color crime.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, that I mean, it is truly the crime that is causing that. You know, it's causing a lot of the problems that we're talking about, right, and of course it is the one that is must be avoided and ignored.
Speaker 2: What's what's like been a perpetrator in terms of as you guys try to find out who murdered your bank accounts, what's the name name, what's a suspect that you've identified?
Speaker 3: No, I think Ronald Reagan.
Speaker 4: I think that that's that you can really a lot comes back to that, but it goes you know, I think it starts at the beginning of this American experience, which is that it's all entirely based around an economy that is not really designed to make everybody happy and free. But specifically, when we're talking about millennials and we're talking about the last one hundred years, we are talking about what we spoke of before, which is, like, the difference is that millennials are experiencing based on policy.
Speaker 3: Decisions I started in the eighties.
Speaker 4: But you know, this goes back to like things that were were built up around the First World Wars, which is like, we need to buy stuff to make this economy work, and everybody is in the business of buying or selling stuff for us to buy or sell, right, yeah, I think, and like so everything is pushing us into that and simultaneously making it impossible for us to make a living at it, because like all the things we said before, people aren't really running small businesses anymore. So it's just like, I mean, I think really what we're what we're looking at is just how how do we imagine a different way of living around outside of this economy that we've been brought up to believe is like truly and the only option.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and also just not getting the information that like we have learned so much about just like the we were We've been shocked by.
Speaker 3: So many things that we've learned in researching this podcast.
Speaker 5: Like we interviewed this woman, Elena Botea, who worked at Capital one for years and then she became a journalist, and she said something Rachel Hurd on a zoom that was like there was no household consumer debt consumer debt before before in nineteen eighty three, And we were like.
Speaker 3: Credit cards and the banks are obviously how can that be right?
Speaker 5: Like you just imagine that this is something that always existed, and in reality it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not that old. It's it's our age. And so if it's our age, why does it have to be like the rule of the of the land. Why can't you like think of.
Speaker 5: Something else that's like because we're eating too much, Yeah, that's why that's right, and not buying wedding rings.
Speaker 1: When was avocado toast invented? I'm just saying nineteen eighty four, twenty four. Yeah, I do like they're mad at us for eating avocado toast, but also mad at us for not buying diamond wedding rings, which are way more expensive and financially responsible.
Speaker 3: Decisions weddings, Like they're bad about it.
Speaker 5: Everything about like the modern wedding experience that we're told is like the thing that we're supposed to do. I mean, it is one of the reasons why I got into debt when I looked back on it, because I went to so many bachelotte parties, I bought so many bridesmaids dresses, I bought so many gifts for people to go to their weddings, and like that is something I was led to believe was what I needed to do in order to stay in the group socially, right, But in reality it was just like draining my all of my bank bank account.
Speaker 4: And meanwhile, like the people who are making money are doing it investing in debt, right, investing in pretend money. But that doesn't that doesn't transfer down to those of us who are actually being like you're saying, lended in a predatory manner, and then it becomes something that you can never get out of.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that is like just one piece of the bigger picture, which I think is that just like we are watching the transfer of wealth from the middle class to whatever is left of the middle class middle and lower class working class too.
Speaker 3: You know, a few people basically.
Speaker 1: Yea, yeah, yeah. Claudia Scheinbaum, the you know, president of Mexico, talks about She just openly says like neoliberalism is a mechanism for redistributing wealth from the middle class upward, Like that's that's all it is, and just like that's an openly agreed to a like definition of it in other countries.
Speaker 2: Down there, but here in California, that's the way. That's the way we do business.
Speaker 1: It's the way we do it.
Speaker 3: You got to get that twenty dollars air Air one's movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did want to talk about the uh just a little bit about me. Anytime I read a New York or article, I have to talk about it on the podcast because I'm so proud about it. But I do think that that's actually I think it ties into the conversation we're having because there's a new article about the ultra wealthyes, trend of trying to live forever and like just like God for everything, and it's that just mostly boomer age people like that. They they talk to this one woman who works in the industry and she's like, no, no, the industry of forever, the longevity industry. They interview one woman who like works in this longevity industry of like, you know, just these people are like tested every week, like they're like, okay, inhale into this bag, give us your poop, Like we need to like make sure that you are just like perfectly monitored. And she was saying that these are all people who spent their health getting rich, so like for the first half of their life, they were just like working around the clock trying to get rich, and now they're rich, and they're trying to like get their health back through these means because they're like scared of death and they don't want to admit that they fucked up. But what all right, So two of the details that jumped out to me. One is the richest people already lived twelve years longer than the poorest in this country. Like that just in addition to being proof that our world is a disaster, that capitalism's already broken. Like it's just wild that these people who are driving this entire industry are already like maxed out, which is what they find Like afterwards, they're just like, yeah, it turns out like all these things that people are doing can help somebody if they were not already doing these things. But they are right, so like it doesn't help them. It's just this like soulless end of life, denial of death, like addiction to the idea of like self and like perpetuating yourself is essentially like a religion. It's like what these people have instead of religion at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it kind of boils down, like what the problem is?
Speaker 5: Just generally right, it's like I'm so afraid, like you can't take your money with you, right, and you're like so afraid of.
Speaker 1: Like with.
Speaker 5: Exactly, So if I don't die, then I, you know, never have to worry about it, and then I don't have to question like what the fuck was all of this for and what was I doing with like hoarding my wealth to make sure that like I'm healthy. Like again, it like goes back to not giving a shit about the collective and being like I need to make sure that like I'm okay.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: It crystallizes the irony we've been talking about, which is that like everybody's dollar is made on burning this planet up more and more and more, and so what's worse than.
Speaker 3: The lack of survival of planet Earth?
Speaker 4: Like the most miraculous thing we've ever like conceived of.
Speaker 2: This, Like I'm just going to build a bomb shelter to survive exactly.
Speaker 3: It's like don't look at It's like exactly like don't look.
Speaker 1: At you know, did you guys see Mountainhead, the movie by the guy who, yeah, the succession guy. It's it's worth while Steve Carrell's character is the is just exactly this guy, like he knows. He finds out that he has a like terminal diagnosis, and he keeps just being like, wow, you're not very smart, are you to his doctors, like just being like I am, I have a genius level, I Q actually, and I'm going to beat this thing.
Speaker 3: My god, Yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 1: It is kind of funny that they the two things that everybody says are like inevitabilities of the human condition are death and taxes, and like that's all these people spend their entire lives just trying to avoid Yeah, yea for these guys kids or like yeah, right.
Speaker 4: Will show you my life's purpose us to prove this wrong and in the meantime lose it all.
Speaker 1: Anyway, the one good idea I will say this is a little investment tip. One of the technologies they're looking at that I guarantee these like very rich people are going to spend a lot of money on is a smart toilet that basically like reads your shit for like signs of disease. And like they're like really investing hard in this, and I feel like I feel like that is inevitably that that's the next aura ring.
Speaker 2: Which is funny because that would help just like if everyone had access to that, if everyone had sly on for sure, But no, it's going to be like this thing they parade around Silicon Valley and it's probably going to start off as like some dude underneath the house like just running like fucking tests on it. The technology isn't there yet a mechanical turd if you will.
Speaker 5: Sure, like printers in the in the nineties, like they're going to be just like a bajillion dollars and then one day one absolutely Yeah, but again it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: Like it's to your point, if.
Speaker 5: Everybody had access to these things, yeah, that would be fabulous. Yeah, to privatize them, make them an entity that you need to spend like, you know, bajillion dollars on, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like flying cars are a thing. They're just a thing for like the ultra ultra wealthy. You know, essentially, it's just like helicopters and private private jets. Yeah, and then you know we like all the sci fi ship from the future exists, like it just exists for only the ultra wealthy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like living well, which I think is pretty cool, yeah, exactly, eternally eternal life.
Speaker 7: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean I think for us, that's like should be a motivator to get our ship together so we can be one of these people.
Speaker 1: And also on your grind set.
Speaker 2: When someone starts talking about progressive tax systems, like, I'll hold the fuck up because when I'm one of these billies, Okay, I don't want to deal with that, So I'm going to protect my investment.
Speaker 5: We're just gonna keep walking around eating dumplings from Chinatown and helping for the best.
Speaker 3: That's our point.
Speaker 1: I think that sounds like a good plan. Sound also like I have invested a lot of time and looking at walking around looking for a bag of money. If so, if anybody's always looking.
Speaker 2: For that, or like loose drugs that fell off a truck, that.
Speaker 3: Sounds like yeah, in a fire.
Speaker 1: In a fire, after a mass after.
Speaker 2: After a mass support try yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, that's gonna do it. For this week's weekly Zeitgeist, Please like and review the show If you like, The show means the world to Miles. He he needs your validation, folks. I hope you're having a great weekend, and I will talk to him Monday. By