Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and Troy Jackson has officially been fit to challenge Senator Susan Collins in the great state of Maine. We have such a fantastic show for you today. The Latino Votes podcast host Mike Madrid talk to us about how MAGA is fracturing and how Latino voters are the new swing voters. Then we'll talk to the acl use Mike Zamore and Hattie Gassima about ICE's abuses inside New Jersey's Delaney Hall and other detention centers. But first the news.
Speaker 2: So, Maali, for some reason, we still have a White House Correspondence Dinner, and despite it being an absolute failure of an event as evidence by Friday Night's proceedings, are you just still crying in your pillow that you didn't get to attend?
Speaker 1: So I have always been like a little bit of a contrarian on the White House Correspondence Dinner. Basically since Trump has been president since twenty sixteen, there's been a feeling and it's grown over the last decade that the White House Correspondents Association. Well, they do good work, right, They do scholarships for students, they do public outreach. They also are not doing themselves or any of us any favors with the stupid dinner. So the point of the dinner is, or at least the historic point of the dinner was to raise money for scholarships, to highlight these scholar students, and to focus on the job of the White House correspondents. Over the years, and the New York Times haven't been allowing their people to attend for like ten years. I mean, you can go to cover, but you know, they don't buy tables or anything. Basically, the event has gotten more and more unpalatable. Now few thoughts on the White House correspondence before we get into Donald What Donald Trump did which everyone could have seen coming a million miles away, which is he gave a really really hostile speech that was embarrassing and I listened to some of it. I mean, it's really long, and in it he's just he's just mean and gross and mean to Caitlin Collins. But part of why it is, part of why I think it should be ended, is because it's not Look, when people report they have to have sources, and some of those sources are going to be in the White House, whether or not the White House is filled with or not, You're going to have to talk to those people if you're going to report on them. But that's just true. I mean, we may not like it, but it's true. So some of the optics coming out of that dinner, like Stephen Miller yucking it up with real reporters, that stuff, it just looks really the optics of it are horrendous. And then the other thing is that just the idea of this kind of like these cabinet members were clearly really I mean, some of them are doing some really sketchy stuff, and to have them sitting with the journalists who cover them and then having Trump, it's just so bad. This is my personal Piccadillo. I feel that the White House Press Association had more power than a thought and should have when Donald Trump kicked out the AP for not calling the Gulf of Mexico the Gulf of America, which was stupid, but it was a power grab, and what the White House Correspondence Association should have done was been like, Okay, we're done, we're out, because this administration needs the media just as much as the media needs to cover this administration. But they didn't do that, and so what happened was they ended up in this situation where they've just had the White House has taken almost all their power away. They decide who was in the press pool, things that historically were not true. They kicked out all the press pool at the Pentagon, Like they've just done a lot of stuff that has really limited press access, and all the while they've framed it as if the press was somehow the bad guys. I mean, like my husband don't necessarily like straight reporting, feel that a lot of times straight reporters give this administration the benefit of the doubt when they shouldn't. But it doesn't matter. Like the only way you're going to be able to hold power to account is with straight reporting. And there's a reason that these people are so obsessed with ending the media, and it's because of things like this, and like that is why the White House correspondence dinner is just so wrong for this moment, Like it just is wrong for this moment. You have people who are losing their lives that protests to have a genteel little dinner party with people like Stephen Miller, it's the wrong moment for this.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of wrong moments, wrong person for the job, We've been long complaining about Ken Martin, the head of the DNC, and it seems like this morning I woke up to d day for his reputation and people being chill about him staying on as head of the DNC.
Speaker 1: You know Adam Gentilsen, who has been on this podcast, but who can be you know, complicated and is I think a very good tweet about this where he said, you know, like, this is it. This is the end of Ken Martin's career. Like you like it, you don't like it. He's not going to be able to like because part of this job is just being able to fake it till you make it right, to raise the money that you need in order to get this stuff done. And he I just think he's run out of lock here. But here's what I would say about Ken Martin. This was always going to be a hard job, right the Well, let's just go back to what is the head of the DNC supposed to do? Raise for state parties. And by the way, one of the things that I do think Ken Martin did which was good, which was in this Times article was he gave an extra one hundred thousand dollars to Mississippi, and Mississippi was able to elect another state ledge and break a Republican supermajority. So that was good. But you know, you're going to need someone who has the faith of the donor class so you can raise some money, and Ken Martin clearly doesn't have that, and that is why this is probably the moment for him to resign. Look, it is very I think he's having a very tough time. And I understand that one of the nice things about Democrats is that they are very nice to each other. But I think at this moment it certainly seems like the floor has fallen out from under him. And again, so basically here's the story. He may have thrown a phone at an underling. It's not entirely sure if he threw it at a junior aid or if it scared the junior aid, or if he threw it at the desk, But whatever it is, he had to go to HR for it. And then Trump has uh the RNC has raised million dollars and Ken Martin has raised Right now he has the DNC is two million dollars in debt, which is pretty unfucking believable and so and he also at the last DNC meeting he made people sign NDA's which is a sign that he's not feeling very confident, which is which we'll transmit to donors. He also spent seven point I think it was seven point eight million dollars to buy Harris's mailing list, which was a way of settling her the case debts, which I guess is fine but also pretty seems a little bit shortsighted. He also did put the DNC up for collateral for loans, which seems kind of bad, though have done that historically. But then the other thing he did which a lot of people are upset about, was that he spent about a million dollars eight hundred and forty thousand dollars on fundraising committee and money to Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, American Samoa, places that do not elect a president or even members who have full voting privileges. This is not a good moment for Ken Martin and his time for him to resign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about a lot that when us an entrepreneurs talk that the heads of organizations really, what most people don't see is that there's just supposed to be a confidence man who makes it easy to raise funds from investors. This has lost all confidence.
Speaker 1: Right, either you can raise money or you can do media, which Ben Wicker can do both. You know, it's funny because when this happened, I was very like, I was like, Wow, Ben Wickler's an outsider. Ken Martin's an insider. Maybe it's better have an insider who knows. I don't want to be you know what, who even knows. Maybe these state party chairs know what they're doing. No, Ben Wigo would have been better, and Ben Wicco could get in there now, and it needs to happen. And you know, I know there are people who know this podcasts, who are involved in the DMC. It's like, it's time guys like this is you can be nice and then you have you know, if this is really about American democracy, which a lot of us absolutely believe it is, you got to get get going here.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to another horrible thing that happened, the One Big Beautiful Bill. Apparently more than one million children whilst to access to food benefits after it passed.
Speaker 1: So we always knew this was coming because we are because we read a lot of We read a lot of this stuff and we read the bell right or we read enough of it to know what was going on. The goal of this was always to put new requirements on Medicare Medicaid SNAP, and children on SNAP was always going to be part of this. So this analysis finds that four million Americans lost SNAP benefits. That's four million from July twenty twenty five to March twenty twenty six. Like that is Doge in a nutshell. And this is because of One Beautiful Bill. So they were removed from SNAP. And part of how they were removed is they've tightened the eligibility rules for food assistance. They've increased screening requirements. So four hundred and fifty thousand Arizonas people who live in Arizona have come off SNAP. And they haven't come off SNAP because things are cheaper. They've come off SNAP because the state has made it and not the state. The Trump administration, the One big Beautiful Bill has made it so they can't stay on. Children make up a significant portion of those losing benefits worth more than one million. Children across nine in states no longer receive SNAP. In Louisiana, one in four children receiving SNAP lost benefits. In Massachusetts and Texas, one fifth of children enrolled in the program were removed. This is the legacy of Elon Musk, right, This is the legacy of Doge and Donald Trump. This is the this is the Big Beautiful Bill. This is tax cuts for people like Howard Lutnek. This is the America that Trump has ushered in. So if you think about a million hungry children, that's I mean it is. It's just like, just imagine these SNAP kids are not It's not like their parents are doing great. It's like their parents are barely hanging on and now they do not have food snamps to buy food so they can eat. And in a very inflationary environment where the economy is bad for workers, where wages are not keeping up with inflation, where things are getting more and more expensive, or gas is more expensive, this is what the Big Beautiful Bill has wrought. This is what Elon Musk, trying to and fraud, waste and abuse. The biggest beneficiary of government subsidy is Elon Musk, has wrought this.
Speaker 2: So the US Appeals Court has ruled Trump cannot implement mail and voting bends.
Speaker 1: So you know why this is important is because it's just yet another time where this administration just keeps losing in court, and this is one. So the federal appeals Court said that Trump can't implement twenty three states this executive order that titans mail and voting. By the way, none of this is about like, this is all bullshit, right, It's not about making voting safer. It's all about just because he knows his to lose. I'm just going to read you, as the District District Court reasoned, the executive order lays at a clear set of rapidly approaching deadlines in which states must cooperate. By the way, the idea that they're going to federalize elections, it's bullshit and it's illegal, and watching this administration try to do it is it's just so fucking corrupt. And I mean, we know how this goes, and we know that they're going to try everything they can, but just what, I mean, what a fucking disaster. Mike Madrid is a political consultant and the host of The Latino Vote podcast and the author of The Latino Century. Welcome, Welcome, Mike Madrid Ollie.
Speaker 3: Always great to be with you. Thank you so much for having me back.
Speaker 1: I wonder if we could talk about I feel like we've seen splits a maga before, but I don't know that we've ever seen anything quite like this. And I'm going to refer to a political poll that we saw earlier in the week that showed that one in five self proclaimed magas want Donald Trump out of the war in Iran today do not care just over over, And I want you to talk about that because I think that's profound in the fact that it is just a complete Remember, like ninety percent of self proclaimed megas get all their news from Trump, so it means there's a real fracturing happening there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I look for many of us, I mean, the whole time that we've known each other, I've been kind of saying, when is the fever swamp going to be breaking? When does the cult you know start took fade away. I'm not going to suggest we're at that moment, but I'm also not going to suggest we're not. I mean, we are not seeing we have not seen to your point, twenty percent of self described maga disagreeing with the president on probably his most important issue at this moment, which is war. And what you're seeing is the Republican leadership reflecting that you can't get the Save Act passed, they pushback on funding this war, continuing this war. Those splits are there, they are becoming larger, and they're going to get more significant as we close in on the midterms, and especially after the midterms, Molly, that's when you're going to have to you know, Katie, bar the doors. Shit's going to get real after that. That's when the dynamics of the country's politics are going to change considerably.
Speaker 1: And so let's just talk about You do a lot of polling and a lot of work with Latino voters too, which I would love you to just explain to us what the Latino voting block looks like, how big it is, and also sort of how it's grown over the last ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's a great question.
Speaker 4: So the Latino electorate, as we call it, is just to pass the block community vote as the largest ethnic minority voter group in twenty twenty, and it's sitting at about eleven to twelve percent of the electorate. Things about that one is it's growing incredibly fast. It's picking up about a percent a year, which is it's not unprecedented, but it hasn't happened in probably eighty ninety years that a group is growing as fast, and perhaps more important is where it's at. Like, of the seventeen House races, something like fifteen of them have Latino populations that are well larger than the margin of victory is going to be, So Latinos will determine how that vote breaks.
Speaker 3: It's it's the only voting.
Speaker 4: Group moving molly in any meaningful way. It's like the last swing voter will determine the balance of power in the House, the Senate, and of course key gubernatorial races. So the fact that it is there, that it's large, that it's unmoored, it's unanchored. It's the least partisan group in America, and it will be determining the balance of power not just in this election, but in most elections going forward for the better part of our lifetimes.
Speaker 1: Now, So why you talk about Latino voters as a swing voting block Because Trump made crazy inroads with them, But that doesn't mean he gets to keep them right now.
Speaker 4: I mean, I argue he'd already lost them. But this is really important, I think for people to understand. If you're looking at Latinos as what they vote for, you're missing the point. Latino voters are voting against both parties, and they're historically moved away. As I wrote my book and predicted saying this shift is going to happen. Once it happened, I said, that doesn't mean that they're Republicans. There's no evidence saying that they're Republicans. That again has created the shift left which we saw in twenty twenty five and were likely to see in twenty twenty six. But that doesn't mean that the Democrats are anywhere out of the woods. Yet they're rejecting Trump. They're not voting for the Democratic Party in the same way they were voting against Kamala Harrison, Joe Biden, not for Donald's Trump and both parties in this country really have a difficult time understanding that because that it is a unique voting block in that way, let me explain it a little bit more. The Latino community is the fastest growing part of the working class, and it is shifting by twenty points or more than many instances against the party in power. That's unlike black and white voter groups, black and white working class people do not move.
Speaker 3: They're not budgeting.
Speaker 4: Black voters are not becoming more Republican in any meaningful way, and white working cloud voters are not leaving the Republican Party in any meaningful way. Doesn't matter whether at war, whether there's a pandemic, doesn't matter there's economic collapse, they do not leave. Latinas are the only voters that are saying, we don't buy this nonsense from either of you guys. And that's why it's becomes so critical is as both parties are struggling to understand what it means. Both of them are struggling and failing to meet the economic concerns of this community. And Latino voters are rejecting whoever it is in powered that at any given.
Speaker 1: Time, Trump won those voters.
Speaker 4: How I would argue that Kamala Harris and Joe Biden lost those voters, then win them. He was winning votes despite himself, not because of himself. That's why he's losing those voters.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: The Democrats, there's nothing popular about the Democrats. They're at all time lows for a metrim election. They're not popular. They'n I'll offer a real alternative. They just are the alternative, and so anything but Donald Trump is the prevailing sentiment for the exact same reasons that Kama Harrison Joe Biden lost these voters. Nobody's addressing the economy. Affordability is off the charts. Life is getting more and more difficult for working class people, and both of these parties are ignoring it or pretending it's not happening, and doing nothing meaningful to address it. As long as that happens, that lack of loyalty to either party is going to be the dominant characteristic of this voter group, fast growing voter group.
Speaker 1: So let's talk this through because I think it's really interesting. So basically, from my understanding of this, we had angry voters reject Trump in twenty twenty, reject Biden and Harris in twenty twenty four, and now we are cruising into a midterm. The question is they think things are too expensive because they are, and that the middle class is getting squeezed, which it is, right. I mean, like, for example, I live in New York. We have this mayor. He largely talks about affordability. That's like his thing, right, affordability. Affordability, You know, it's not so easy to actually deliver on affordability. But some of the things he's done is he's got a rent freeze going, which has made a lot of real estate people in New York furious. But you know that is something tangible if you live in those rented But I mean, what are the tangible deliverables you can offer? And actually, because part of what Trump has gotten into trouble with is that he said I'm gonna make everything cheaper and then he immediately did stuff that would do the opposite. But if you wanted to make things cheaper, I mean, is it so easy even to do that?
Speaker 4: Well, it can make three really good points. So the first is, yeah, Donald Trump's prioritization is.
Speaker 3: The real problem for himself.
Speaker 4: No one views, no one believed for a second that he's all focused on this the way maybe you know zoron Mom Donnie is whether your views is Mom Donnie are or not? Is at least trying to do something about it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, again with politicians, who even knows, But he paints himself that way, paints himself the way.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, Donald Trump is you know, raising the price of oil by losing the straight orfom moves.
Speaker 3: In a war that nobody wanted.
Speaker 4: So that's But the second is you ask a really important question is are politicians, through are traditional tools able to actually impact the economy and coomy that has changed so significantly and so substantially that our old tools of governance no longer work and no longer apply. That is a bigger question. I would submit that they do. The problem is what most legislators, policymakers, executives are gonna have to do is roll things back, not create a new law to do something. And by the way, the one thing that the Congress actually did do, this bipartisan housing bill, the President wouldn't sign because you want to say, so the one thing.
Speaker 1: And it did pass. I mean, yeah, go on, so.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, is the one thing he could have said, I'm doing something on the most critical issue facing Tino voters, which is housing and housing costs. He doesn't even get to take credit for, nor should he.
Speaker 1: Right, it's on the bill.
Speaker 3: So now, but even if.
Speaker 4: Pat housing, you know, housing is a twenty thirty year program, like, it's going to take a long time to get these things around. There's going to have to be efforts and we're seeing these in California to dial back a lot of these.
Speaker 3: Cumbersome rules and regulations.
Speaker 4: A lot of people don't like to hear it, but that's the way to do it. It's not the past more laws. It's to start unwinding things that we've suffocated the economy with. That's what has to happen in places like California.
Speaker 3: That's what the President's be engaged in.
Speaker 1: So okay, this is like my least favorite solve for a problem. So I want just because I love regulation. You know, I'm a love basine liberal, right, so that's regulation is my favorite. So think this through with me. The question is how do you get more affordable housing? And the answers you build more housing. And the reason you can't build more housing in California. And I think we've all saw that photo from the San Francisco Community Board meeting where you had all the old people saying they didn't want them to build high rise buildings in San Francisco because it would mess up their view. I mean that that's what you're talking about, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, particularly in California. I mean, you know Texas doesn't have this problem. The Austin and Metropolitan area has built more housing every year in the last five years than California housing the entire state.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's killed it. It's created a caste system budget.
Speaker 1: But I just want to push back for a second, because I do love regulation. Texas and Florida, and Florida especially are having wild in place with housing. Well, cost of living is humongous and it's not necessarily housing, it's insurance. But that is So that's another thing, right, so go on. But that's something that could be solved with regulation, the insurance stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm not ideological about this at all. I think ideologues have killed the way to solve problems in this modern economy. That's the problem is everybody's ideological. If you love regulation for the sake of loving regulations, I don't even know what that means. It's is it better to have regulations and create poor people? Because California, manterfactured, is poverty better than anybody in the world.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't think that's a good thing. I mean, but I'm I'm not saying Texas and Florida are better. I'm just saying speaking they're different.
Speaker 4: But the question is, how do you deal with affordability, and both parties have done the wrong thing because we're using last centuries solutions for this century's problems, and so we go, well, do we regulate do we not regulate? Well, how about we stop beginning with that question and try to find the solution and work backwards regardless of whether it's ideologically a fit for my red or blue team.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm no, And I think that's actually really smart because but it is, like I mean, if you think about the sort of big tenets of inflation housing costs, it's insurance, and then it's those food costs, and that energy costs, energy costs. Let's talk about energy for a minute, because like what's happened with trump Ism is like this broad deregulation, which you would think should theoretically, I mean, I don't believe that actually is how it works, but should make things cheaper, and it hasn't.
Speaker 4: Well, particular energy, you've got to create a war again, lising it within a few weeks, you can throw that whole framework out the window.
Speaker 3: I mean, the reason why gas.
Speaker 4: Is so expensive is because Iran is put a noose around the world supply as they should be, Like, what do we doing, you know, And so that's that I think is it's it's a uniquely incompetent, stupid effort that was done. That that kind of again is overshadowing everything. But look, our economy is it's it's a function of supply, chainge. Nobody's talking about the weakening currency value of the dollar. The dollar is collapsing right now of Trump's policies. It's not entirely his fault, but most of it is like this aggressor nation and you're forcing other nations to get off.
Speaker 3: The petro dollar.
Speaker 4: Our currency is going to do value ten percent less, worth less than when Trump took office. Ten percent increase in goods is directly correlate the Trump's foreign policy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that's a really good point. And there's clearly Donald Trump has made a number of really bad decisions that have made affordability even worse. So when we talk about Latina voters, we're cruising into this midterm, just give us sort of the places where Democrats can sort of pick up voters in the midterms, where you're seeing what you feel good about and what you're watching.
Speaker 4: I'm a little bit more bullish on democrats prospects than most pundits are. The reason why is I'm looking at more of the electoral results as opposed to things like the generic ballot and some of the averages.
Speaker 1: I think you're talking about the number of primary voters who show up right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, precisely, but also how they're behaving. Like nobody's polling was showing Mikey Cheryl winning New Jersey by twelve fifteen points. It's all saying, oh, it's the three or point raise. Everybody was saying spam Burger in Virginia is going to be a coin toss. It was anything, but it was a blowout. And it's that you know, you're seeing these twenty point shifts in Harris County, Texas where Tall Rico a third of Tall Rico voters had no vote history at all. Like, these are data points you cannot ignore. You can, you know, try to argue why it's happening, But the fact that it is happening and nobody's polling was bringing it up tells us that we're missing something in the voter models that we're using.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean.
Speaker 4: Polling is bad, but it does mean is that there's a lot more momentum the turnout models are volcanic for Democrats, and we're seeing a lower turnout model for Republicans combined with Molly. And this is the real kicker. Eighty percent of Independents are breaking away from Republicans. I've never heard of that, because it's never happened in my lifetime. Eighty percent of independence is on its unprecedented ground, you know, in elections.
Speaker 3: But that's where we are, and it's.
Speaker 4: Why I think we're going to be in a democrat plus eleven environment, which means that you're going to Seemocrats pick up over twenty seats in the House.
Speaker 3: I think the Senate.
Speaker 4: The Senate is very much in play again. I'm more optimistic about it, and I think that I think that that's going to fundamentally change the contours of the Republican electorate because Donald Trump will be more of a liability than an asset at a time when he's losing his step, when he's losing policy support, when the MAGA base is coming unwound.
Speaker 1: The D plus eleven number we did see this week a generic with a D plus eleven, which people said was an outlier, but I was saying, he's got that number.
Speaker 4: I said this back in January when you're the Prop fifty campaign in California. I was saying, look, this is not necessary.
Speaker 3: I get why people are doing it, but if you're.
Speaker 4: In a Democrat plus seven or eight environment, it doesn't matter whether or not you're the redistricyc thing.
Speaker 3: Is not going to matter.
Speaker 4: I said, we will be probably in a Democrat plus eleven environment. People said it was nuts then. I haven't seen that outlier, but my guess is that number is growing towards that double digit space, and there's every reason to expect that the economy is getting worse, not better, which means the Democrat plus eleven on the generic ballot is very very likely now, which I'm hoping people will come back and say that guy was right, but everyone, of course will say that they've been saying all along the way.
Speaker 1: And I want you to talk about these low frequency voters, because what you're saying in Harris County in Texas is that you're seeing ones and twos low frequency voters, non frequency voters, newly registered voters, the people who made Trump president and where Trump's polling, where the polling showed that Hillary is going to win, and actually it just did not pull those people. So is that what you're seeing on the Democratic side.
Speaker 4: Now, No, because what's happening is the opposite from what you and I have become accustomed to the Trump era. One of the most fascinating things that's defining the Trump era is the Republican Party is now the beneficiary of high turnout elections and Democrats are the beneficiaries of low turnout election right. So you correctly pointed out it's these low propensity, low information voters that put Donald Trump in the White House. These were voting Republican But now what we're seeing is in this environment is the Republicans face two problems. They're seeing defections from their own MAGA base, as you've been pointing out, and as marginal as it is twenty percent or so, that's very consequential in an election when you're having tough time in a low turnout election anyway. But more importantly, they carved seats, especially in Latino districts like Texas around along the Rio Grande, out for themselves based off of this false presumption that these low propensity Latino voters, We're going to not only be with them, but be with them in big turnout numbers. Neither of those assumptions are panning out. In fact, the exact opposite is happening.
Speaker 3: So there's dummy mander As people keep calling out.
Speaker 5: I think likely.
Speaker 4: So you could see these seats that Republicans carved out for themselves, the Republicans losing at least two maybe three seats, actually putting some of the seats that they in Texas, the seats they had to weaken outside of that to carve these stronger Republican seats. Yeah, if you went from a Republican plus seven seat to Republican plus four in order to give up those votes for another Republican seat in Texas, you're regretting that decision because nobody view is a competitive seat and you are now you absolutely all.
Speaker 1: And in a deplus eleven. So then make sense of the Mike Lawler seat because New York State has a few has a bunch of seats that are tight. I mean, Mike Lawler should be losing that seat, and he's actually I mean New York State may be weird, maybe different. We've seen that in other elections.
Speaker 4: There's only about five seats and two of them are like in Long Island, or New York area. The three are in like Orange County, California, North San Diego, where you have a high number of college educated professional class workers with blue collar workers. It's very very rare. Only in New York and California. Lawler is one of those seats. But like I said, the defections that are coming tend to be college educated Republicans. It doesn't matter whether you lose them in rural Georgia or Alabama, right Like, who cares whether or not if you're getting twenty percent of Republicans or fifteen percent of Republicans, you lose one in five MAGA voters in Lawler's district.
Speaker 3: And he's done. He's toast. This was a big part of our Lincoln.
Speaker 4: Project strategy in twenty twenty. Those seats particularly, we were focusing really on college educated Republicans. There are so many more now working class gettable Latinos that that is really the demographic where the focus on the balance of power is going to be.
Speaker 3: Does Lawler survive?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I haven't looked at that districts too much. My guess is probably not, depending on the credibility of the Democratic candidate, just because the place where Republicans are losing support levels of most amongst their own base are characterized by those Orange County, California, Long Island, New York districts like his.
Speaker 1: It would be malpractice if I didn't ask you about Tella Rico. It is in my mind, the least likely of those pickups, because I think Alaska, Iowa, Ohio more likely. But tell Rico is sort of an amazing candidate in Paxton is a disaster. So what you're thinking.
Speaker 3: There, well, it's exactly like yours.
Speaker 4: In order to win Texas, and Texas has always been sort of the holy grail for Democrats.
Speaker 3: I've always cautioned saying that this is Texas.
Speaker 4: This is you know, when you look at the numbers on the map, they're not telling the whole story.
Speaker 3: You need three things to happen in Texas.
Speaker 4: You have to have a remarkably good Democratic candidate, which you do. You have to have a remarkably bad candidate in Paxton, which the Republicans do. And you have to have a very sour mood for incumbent Republicans, which you also do. So if it's going to happen, it's going to happen in a year like this. I was saying, Betthrowurk is not going to win coolier jets.
Speaker 3: That's not a real thing.
Speaker 4: I'm a little less saying that, A little bit less now having said that, I agree with you, But listen to what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Listen what you're saying.
Speaker 4: Alaska is more in contention than a Texas. Iowa is more likely to go Ohio. The fact that we're talking about those states being in play mean that the battlefield is a lot bigger than people think it is.
Speaker 3: And it is.
Speaker 4: That's why I said, you're going to see some surprises. A lot of pundits I think are being very conservative right now. Can things change in the next three months, yes?
Speaker 3: Will they Yes?
Speaker 4: But there's also a good Likelihad, that it gets worse for Republicans, not better. And when you're seeing these states that should not be in play in contention, and Texas is a battleground state, whether you want to admit it or not, Republicans, that's telling you that the demographic collapse is widespreadish not with any one group, it's with all group.
Speaker 3: For Republicans.
Speaker 1: Mike Madrid, will you please come back.
Speaker 3: I would love to, Mollie. Thanks for having me I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Hattie Gassima is a senior policy council on immigration policy at the acl You and Mike Zamore is a National director of Policy and Government Affairs at the ACLU. Welcome, love, gom Hattie and Mike, and I'm going to have you both in introduce yourselves. Mike tell us who you are and what you do, and then Hattie, will you please do the same.
Speaker 5: Sure. I'm Mike Theymore. I'm the National Director of Policy and Government Affairs at the American Civil Liberties Union and work with our team on the whole host of issues affecting our rights and our freedoms.
Speaker 1: And Hattie Hi, I'm Hattie.
Speaker 6: I serve as a senior policy council on our immigration policy team at the ACLU, and I lead our detention advocacy work, amongst a couple of other issue areas related to immigration.
Speaker 1: You guys are here to talk about a number of things, but one of the things that I am particularly interested in talking about because it's so close to where I am right now, is Delaney Hall. And you guys have been really writing about this, talking about it and also advocating right So I'd love you whoever feels the most comfortable starting us out on what's happening at Laney Hall right now and what the scou is doing.
Speaker 5: What we have.
Speaker 6: Seen in Delaney Hall over the past couple of weeks now is you know, I think emblematic of what we are seeing in immigration detention just across the country, which is that this is a system that has grown exponentially. It's growing with very little accountability, with an increase in funding, while the conditions in the facilities are deteriorating. And so what we're hearing from detained people in Delaney Hall is that the food is you know, inedible, there's little to no medical care whatsoever. There's been you know, instances of alleged physical abuse by guards at the facility. There's lots of pressure and duress to give up legitimate immigration claims and to you know, go for voluntary deportations. So we're hearing all these stances, and what we've seen last month and the month prior is that detained individuals, in order to shine a light into the terrific conditions that the facility decided to stage a hunger strike to bring light and attention. I think it's really important to also underscore that the reason why people would go to such a last resort measure as starving themselves to shine a light into their experiences and a detention facility is that we have so little access to these facilities. There is no sort of independent oversight body. Very few people can go in, mostly members of Congress, and we're seeing even that has become increasingly harder and harder under this administration.
Speaker 1: Maybe, Mike, you want to talk about some of the members of Congress who have gone to Delaney Hall on what's happened to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's been a steady stream of effort to conduct oversight over this facility because the conditions are so squalid and the stories coming out of it are really horrific. And the most prominent controversial situation is one that happens a number of months ago now where the mayor of Newark was there to make a visit. As worse some members of Congress.
Speaker 1: Delaney Hall is basically in Newark.
Speaker 5: It's in Newark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, So technically these are his constituents.
Speaker 5: His city has responsibility for overseeing the conditions there, like any facility in the city. But ICE and the geogroup the for profit contractor don't want to let anybody in. There's like a big cover up happening at Delaney Hall. So we should be, you know, we should be clearly like what's going on here is that they are deliberately creating these terrible conditions. So, as Hattie said, people will decide that the path of least resistance is just to leave the country, whether or not they have a right to be here, whether or not the administration has valid grounds to support them. So they're trying to prevent people from getting a look inside. And so when the mayor went to go try to take a look, they first refused him, he left, and then on the direct orders of the Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche, whose confirmation will be next week in the Senate for the permanent job, the ICE agents waded into a crowd of protesters, created a big conflict, and coming out of this they ended up charging a US representative from New Jersey, La Monica mc iver. And so she's been charged now with federal crimes. That Carrie sentences of nearly a decade in prison for being in this crowd protesting.
Speaker 1: And she was kept in jail too, right, she was in jail.
Speaker 5: I believe overnight she you know, stupidentually was released but is still facing this frial. She's got a couple of appeals up at the third circuit now. But I think what's really striking is this is a sitting member of Congress doing her job to conduct oversight.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to do oversight on this. Isn't that part of their job?
Speaker 6: Yes, you are absolutely right. As I mentioned before, members of Congress are some of the only people who can have oversight and access into detention facilities.
Speaker 1: They have the authority to.
Speaker 6: Conduct announced or unannounced visits to any of these immigration detention facilities, because of course it is Congress that also funds the operation of these facilities. But what we have seen under this administration is a steady push to obstruct that oversight authority from you know, the earliest days of this second term. Their ice has had numerous policy changes around when and how and how much notice members of Congress should give them in order to be able to you know, do their oversight work. And members of Congress you know, rightfully so pushed back and in fact actually sued on their right to conduct these oversight visits. And again through that litigation. The courts have said very clearly over and over again that they have this right to conduct oversight measures. And what we're still seeing, you know, up until now with Delaney Hall, is that that oversight authority is constantly being obstructed. I mean, I think at the height of some of the what was happening at Delaney Hall, we had to have sitting members of Congress directly do outreach to the Secretary of DHS Mullen to again just respect their oversight authority to do their job and visit the facility.
Speaker 1: What happened Right now? Where are we now? Like Delaney Hall. I have some protesters text me pretty regularly. They told me that their's and again I don't know, you know, they're not journalists, so who knows. But they did tell me that there's facial recognition software that if you protest that eventually the police start to call you by name, and that's how you know you're about to get arrested. Have you heard about this and is that happening?
Speaker 5: This has been a pattern that's been expanding and accelerating over the course of the last eighteen months of his administration, where Ice is using the massive one hundred and eighty billion plus dollars that Congress has dumped in their lap to buy all kinds of tech that is used for surveillance, and then they're wielding that to try to intimidate, harassed, sometimes arrest, sometimes injure, or even as we've seen, kill protesters who are exercising their First Amendment right. We have a report that we put out just about a week and a half ago called Agents of Chaos and Cruelty that documents the extent to which the immigration enforcement actions of this administration are really rooted in violations of constitutional rights and in misconduct. So we looked at a data across eight states, found that in about a third of all of the arrest and enforcement actions there was this conduct, and there were abuses and affect children, affect the US citizens, people for some Venmoor rights, lots of injuries, lots of broken windows and things like that. So you know, this is not a few bad apples, right like, this is not where things are going wrong because they're moving back. This is the policy of Steven Miller's America. They want to inflict, you know, maximum pain and fear and create the conditions where people are afraid to protest. People are afraid to stand up for their neighbors. People are afraid to be here if they're not the right origins or even the right color. And we're seeing it both in the detention and the conditions at places like Delaney Hall and elsewhere where over fifty people have died in custody since the administration took office. Then we're seeing it in the streets where you have rampaging ice officers shooting and killing two people just in a lot of ten days. This is a pattern that is deeply alarming if you believe in you know, rights, freedom, rule of law.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about the ice killings, because we had two citizens killed and then we've had now they were both murdered. Then we've had two other murders and also someone hit by a car.
Speaker 5: Right, yeah, the last three that you just mentioned, we're all like in a span of five days. What we've seen in all of these instances is poorly trained, poorly vetted ice agents doing the thing that they have been encouraged and instructed to do. And you know, we don't have necessarily like you know, they're not being told like goho, smash a window and shoot somebody in their car but they are being given a clear message that the goal here is to inflict terror and harm, and that if anybody gets in your way, you break them. Stephen Miller said it from the podium in the White House, right like, you do not have any accountability and if anybody gets in your way, then you have a license to do your job. The message could not be clear, and the results are predictable. So what we've seen is people like Lorenzo Salgado Arao in Houston and Joan Sebastian Guerrero in Maine, both like upstanding citizens, killers of their community. Mister Arajo and Houston had been in distress for thirty years, rates three citizen kids who were all successful, and he had employees. He was doing all of the things that are the American dream. He was the American dream and he was shot dead for it because he happened to be born in Mexico. And Steven Miller doesn't like that. This is what we get when we build also that way.
Speaker 1: He was also clad right, he wasn't meant to be the stop.
Speaker 5: I mean, he wasn't technically the target like they wasn't like they were looking for somebody, and it wasn't him. However, let's be really clear that he was the target insofar as he was Mexican born. We've seen this administration doing these dragnet stops in city after city because they have a quota and a rest quota, so it's like, we're not out there. They're not really out there to get the particular people or to get the worst of the worst. They're there to hit their number two thousand arrests a day, and so they're picking up anybody who they hear speaking Spanish. They're going to neighborhood that are no immigrant, you know, immigrant communities. They're going to the parking lots where people look for work. And Brett kavanaughs that that was all okay. And you know, in a decision out of the shadow Docket from the Supreme Court, the racial profiling and kind of dragnet sweeps are the backbone of the strategy here to inflict his terror and drive up the numbers. And so, no, Misha was not the you know, he was not the guy his name was on the warrant. But yes, he absolutely was the intended target in the broader sense.
Speaker 1: When we look at Delaney Hall, are there other Delaney halls several more.
Speaker 6: In fact, I mean ICE has a sweeping network of over two hundred closer to three hundred detention facilities across the country. In fact, you know, we saw the hunger strike happen in Delaney Hall, and at that time, or you know, right around that time, there were about six other hunger strikes happening across the country in these immigration detention facilities, all highlighting some of the same conditions issues rancid food, medical neglect, you know, pressure and being under duress to give up immigration cases, other forms of physical in some cases, sexual violence and abuse. The other thing is, you know, to Mike's earlier point about the amount of funding and money that they have, this system is only expanding, and you know, they're pushing to expand it even more. They've attempted to purchase warehouses across the country, industrial warehouses to detain human beings in you know, it was largely due to a lot of I think local community organizing and push back and litigation that has kind of slowed down the process of those facilities, those warehouse facilities opening, But they're still at it with their expansion. And this is also I think it's important to name that they're also not only pushing to detain adults, but child and family detention is also increasing exponentially. The government is seeking currently to have a three thousand bad detention space for unaccompanied kids, and they're also poised to open a facility for families and children in Alexandria in a place that is on a military site excuse me, that is known to have like toxic materials and chemicals in the soil and in the land.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is just.
Speaker 6: To paint like a very clear picture of what this administration's immigration detention system looks like. It's one that is expanding, It's one that has gone unchecked. It's one that Congress has given a blank check too. I mean we're talking from the big beautiful bill forty five billion dollars specifically for immigration expansion, and this most recent reconciliation bill gave them about I think seventy billion dollars. It doesn't have a line item for immigration detention, but it does give that money to the agency again that is like running and operating these facilities in tandem with these private prison companies that are also making an astronomical profit off of this type of human suffering, you know, at a time when there's such an affordability issue in this country, at a time where the average American is struggling to you know, put food on the table, pay mortgages and rent, put.
Speaker 1: Gas in tax dollars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, are all being paid for with our tax dollars.
Speaker 1: Is there any sort of bright spot here?
Speaker 5: Well, one bright spot is that the American people are seeing this and are horrified. So yesterday a Fox News poll came out that showed that people trust Democrats more than Republicans than the issue of immigration for the first time and who knows how long. I think that the reaction in Minnesota. You had mentioned when the two US citizens were shot and killed up there, Alex Pretti and Rene Good, two separate incidents, and that came emits. I mean, that was the big headline story. But I think that the real story out of Minneapolis was the way that community rallied and people came and supported their neighbors and brought deals to people so they wouldn't have to leave their own that they was an incredible outpouring of community support for people's neighbors and friends and family who were being targeted by ice. And I think what we're seeing is a you know, we've been paralyzed as a country around immigration as an issue for a really long time. And what we're seeing is people are getting to see like Donald Trump's id version of immigration, which is like Stephen Miller unleashed terror, you know, kind of like you know, paramilitary fifty thousand person strong deportation force, wrecking communities, breaking up industries, workforces, locking up children, and warehouse sized facilities. And people do not like it. And so I think there's an opportunity now for us to really change the script here and talk about, Okay, well, what do we need as a country, Like, immigrants are essential parts of our communities. They make our communities stronger. We know this from all kinds of ways, and we're seeing now in places where they're missing what it means for everybody. So let's build a country that actually celebrates and builds on the strength that immigrants give us. We can write, you know, it's important that we have laws and enforce the law, that we have a form of legal immigration that's respectable of the need to do asylum right, that gives people a path of the citizenship when they've been here for a long time. And that manages immigration in a way that helps strengthen our communities, not in a way that is intended to be punitive and harsh and divide people and scapegoat certain parts of our population. And I think we are seeing that pivot in front of us, and we're certainly looking to capture this moment and create something better out of it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you, Hattie, thank you, thank you, Mike, thank you, thank.
Speaker 5: You, Molly.
Speaker 1: No moment, Jesse Cannon, So my junk fast.
Speaker 2: One of the things we see every election cycle, ause it gets to be this time of year, is a bunch of bread states will try throwing out a bunch of voter roles and hopes that it'll make it so that less Democrats can vote, that they need to get provisional ballots, that they won't go through the trouble of voting. And this year we're seeing Alaska doing it because guess what Alaska Senate seat is looking like it's going to go down.
Speaker 1: Right, So this is such a This is such exactly what you think it is, right, Donald Trump wanting people not to be able to vote. This is the same as what it was with the mail in ballad. So Mary Patola is looking like she's pulling ahead of Dan Sullivan. And so Alaska has removed thousands of people from its voter roles, claiming they might not be citizens. You know how many non citizens are in Alaska. First of all, it's Alaska. It costs like ten thousand dollars to get there. It's miles and miles away from everything.
Speaker 2: I've heard so many tales of immigrants going all the way from Mexico up to Alaska because they love the climate.
Speaker 1: Right, They've just come for the cold and stay for the cold. The good news is that the director of Alaska's Division of Elections told state legislators on Wednesday that old data was the reason the mistake and that she wasn't sure why so many Alaska residents were labeled as non citizens. Obviously some kind of hopefully a mistake and not a not some kind of like doge getting in the machines. And she said, usually it finds like two hundred names that were tagged for extra strutiny. Now, the good news is this scrutiny. It seems like they're going to look at these these names and then make sure they're put back on. So the good news about Alaska is that they're primaries on August eighteenth, so they will I think people will be able to vote and it won't be a problem. Also, Alaska is really good mail, which is good, and they've had that for a long time. But yeah, I mean, it's just it's going to be a long hundred days, maybe more. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.