Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, welcome back. E y l we are in atl atl Yeah, heroes.
Speaker 4: Shot shot fact that shout to Atlanta, but New York New York twist in Atlanta, so you know New York is heavy in Atlanta, so you know it's all good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love the South.
Speaker 4: This is like New York South down here, Yeah for sure. But before we start, we got some exciting news. So you know, as you guys know, we've been talking about E y L University a lot, and you know, one of the benefits with the podcast that every single week we get to bring on different entrepreneur, different professional from different areas, and you know, they give so much information and we build personal relationships with these people. So we thought, like, you know, we want to kind of build on that and offer more value. So one of the things that we're going to be starting is a monthly workshop series. And you know, every month we're going to have a guest come and that's going to be an in person workshop series and that's going to be an actual class and question and answers and all kinds of stuff like that. So it's going to be in New York City, and but we're going to live stream it so anywhere in the world you can you know, see and you can submke questions.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a real dope situation.
Speaker 4: It's just going to be an extended version of the podcast, but just more interactive. So we're starting it out with our guy, Matt MG, the mortgage guy, and we're going to do the first workshop and that's going to be on first time real estate Investors. So everybody wants to be a real estate investor, right, but it's like how do I.
Speaker 3: Get in the game.
Speaker 4: It's like double dug if you don't know what you're doing, it's like what do you do? So this is going to be the blueprint of how to get started in real estate first time real Estate Investor class, and that will be October seventeenth. And yes, so go to our website on the events tab and we'll have all that information. As I said, you can do a live stream or you can do it in person. Yes, so make sure we.
Speaker 2: Got a lot of lump coming back too.
Speaker 5: So like that's good, Like we've been saying, like everybody that comes on and we got we got a new alumn now.
Speaker 2: But we're gonna have a lum coming back to each one of these events.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a real it's a real family, you know, it's not just a show a podcast. We developed relationships with these people and they become like real real friends of ours. So you know, so business is all about relationships, so you know, it's about building strong relationships. So yeah, make sure y'all check that out. Go to the events tab. All right, without further ado, we have a very special guest, a very highly recommended guest. Actually it's something that you know, we come from New York and especially me. You know, I have a career in finance, and you don't really think about the trucking industry a lot. Like it's something that at least I never really thought about it.
Speaker 5: I think the last time I thought about the truck was Optimist Prime.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It was that, And we never thought about trucks again.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 4: But a lot of people have been asking us to cover the trucking industry. So my man Samore, he put me on to the good Brother Alex Good Energy Alex Burton aka Alex Good Energy, and I looked at his page and I'm like, all right, cool. Yeah, he's a cool dude. So I reached out to him and we have him on the podcast.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 2: When you're the voice, he said, Yo, this guy gotta be from the York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, t LV at Brooklyn. So so I'll give you a quick background. So alex is a is a gurule when it comes to the trucking industry. Has eleven eleven trucks running right now, right here's eleven trucks. But more importantly, he actually teaches people how to actually operate trucks and the ins and out to the business. Because the trucking in the show was telling somebody that the other day, Like, at least for me, it's like, do they have a college for that? Like how do you learn that? Like you know what I'm saying. It's like, yeah, you don't. That's not something that's actually taught in school. Nothing is stuff taught in school, but definitely something like that, like you got to just go and just figure it out on your own. So yeah, he's he's he's doing very well for himself. And it's a very lucrative industry as far as trucking industry. And and it's not just for men either, women women making a killing. So you know, you don't used to be a truck drive. But Lisa Leslie's mother, did you know that? Yeah, Lisa Leslie's mother one of the greatest NBA back w NBA basketball players of all time. Her mother was actually a truck driver in the statue form, shout out to her, Shout out to her. So so yes, so once again, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: We appreciate you, legend having me.
Speaker 4: You had a journey to get to this point, right, and you started promoting parties. Yeah yeah, so all right, can you can you give us a quick backstory on the party promotion because I want to ask you about this jagged edge story.
Speaker 3: But I want to, I want to. I want to lead up. I want to lead up to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man.
Speaker 6: First, even before the parties, Man, I was doing telemarketing. You know, I was doing telemarketing. I was like my first like real job. You know what I'm saying is selling this product called Zmax. It was this this product that you poured in your gas dance, you know, for better few miles. Man, it was like a baller room situation and you know it was cubicles, Me, my best friend Jason, who's here, misters. Two weeks out, we was literally sitting next to each other.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: I think the base pay was like seven dollars an hour, and then we got commissioned off of everything that we sold. So, man, I did this job for about two years and we was killing them.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: We was probably making about a thousand dollars a week. And then my boss, he was only two years older than me, young dude, so you know, it was one of the things where you kind of became kind of cool with your boss and you got like a little too comfortable with him.
Speaker 2: And I think that, you know, he we had.
Speaker 6: Our ups and downs in our relationship, and you know, it was things that he felt like I wasn't doing correctly and I was getting a little too comfortable at the job. And then one day he fired me. He said I missed a call. You know, he could monitor all the calls in the call center. He said, I was like playing with my phone or something like that and I missed the call. That was his reason and he fired me.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: And I just remember like at that time, I had just got my first house. I was just I was renting the house with my cousin. He got locked up and he needed somebody to kind of pay the mortgage while he was locked up, So I was renting his house. I had just got my first car, and this is like my first time like having real bills, and I was doing pretty well, you know, I'm like twenty twenty one, I think at the time twenty two, and when he fired me, it was just like a wake up call, like he grabbed a rug up under my feet, you know what I mean. Damn, Like I got these bills and I wasn't really saving my money because I was making a thousand dollars a week and back then, I was a lot of money. So I'm thinking, like, you know, I'm spending the money because I'm like, I got another thousand dollars check coming next week, you know what I'm saying. And long story short, after I got fired, I didn't know what to do. I was like, y'a, I gotta do something, but I just knew I wasn't gonna work for nobody else. I just didn't like the fact that another man had that much control over my destiny, you know what I'm saying. Like it was a very uncomfortable feeling for me. I felt very very uneasy at that fact. So I didn't know what I was gonna do yet, but I knew I was gonna do something. So I'm literally just riding around Gwenett. You know, I was in Gwennett County at the time, north Side of Atlanta in probably thirty minutes from the city and the spot called Carrobas they was doing construction.
Speaker 2: I was my spot.
Speaker 6: I walked up be in there and I met the Asian guy who walked out. He was like, look, you know, we about to build a nightclub, and you know this is true story. He was like, yeah, we're looking for promoters and I'm like, okay. He was like, are you a promoter? And I literally I'll never forget it. I was like, yeah, yeah, you know, because I'm from New York, like at the end of the day, like Rustlings, you know what I'm saying. So I seen the opportunity. The club looked fly, and I was like, yeah, I'll give it a shot, you know what I'm saying. I knew I knew a lot of people. I was like, I might be able to pull this off. So I literally walked out the spot and I just called on my friends like, look we go, I got a party. Now I need you how to pull up. You know what I'm saying, pull up, bring ten dollars with you in two weeks, let's go. And you know, I'm just running through it. Two thousand dollars, two thousand and some change to my name. It was a hard game with for me, like do I hold on to this little two grand or do I go ahead and bet on myself? Right, It's like, do I bet on myself and give it a shot and depart from my last Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, a bit of change.
Speaker 6: Took five hundred, got some flyers, and I took another two hundred, paid these little boys to pass them out for me, and we we hit up the neighborhoods and it was so funny. I told them, I said, look, go hit all the doors in the neighborhood, like do like the people do the Chinese menu right?
Speaker 2: Come home and y'all even get past the gate, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: And Yo, we told the whole city up man like we plasted the whole city with flyers. Man grand opening first night club in Gwenett County did the grand opening, two hundred people showed up. Was a good night. Made my investment back plus a couple of extra dollars.
Speaker 2: I think it was. I made like thirty eight hundred dollars that night.
Speaker 6: And you know, but the grand opening hype was over at this point, you know what I'm saying. Like we was pushing that. Yo, it's the grand opening. This is the first night. It was a big deal, you know what I'm saying, red carpet. So I'm like wow. So I decided to go to Buckhead and just do like some market research and just try to get some ideas of like you know what other clubs was doing, like just try to pick their brain a little bit and just see how they got things set up.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 6: I went down the Buckhead and I was at this club called Club Chaos on Monday nights, and the DJ was like yo, Jaggiet Edges in the building, and I walked up to him humbly like yo, like I love y'all music. I got this night club. I would love for you guys to come out there and you know, host a party.
Speaker 2: Remember which remember was this is Brian Brian one of the Twins. Yeah, okay, Jay Hartbray one of my favorite a ones all time. Absolutely, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So I walked up to him like, yo, I just to you know, i't even got to perform, just show up please, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I'll give you half the door.
Speaker 6: I don't really got no budget like that for you and He just loved the way I came at him, and he was like, look, we're gonna be out there. He knew where it was at. He was like, I got to check that liver on that street. I know exactly where it's at. We're gonna pull up. He was like, you know, it ain't gonna be the whole group, but I probably come with my brother or something.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I'm cool with that.
Speaker 6: And I was so excited I literally left the club and forgot to get his phone number. I forgot to get his phone number on Yeah, I was beating myself up on the way home that night. And but but the way that my man like looked at my eyes and told me he was coming, I took his word for it, and I was like, you know, we're gonna give a shot. I'm go ahead and promote it. So it was a little uneasy, but I was like, I'm go ahead and do it. So but got the big flyers this time hit the hole. I mean we tore the whole city up. I did ten thousand flies, big joints, Jagged Edge grand opening, I mean not grand opening, but uh, Dragged Edge is coming to Gennette. The night came, and the night came, y'all, you know what I'm saying. And I got there at ten o'clock. Line was already around the building. When I got there, man, you know what I'm saying, I ain't have enough security guards, but you know, I was excited.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I was going down.
Speaker 6: I knew he was about to make some money this night, you know what I'm saying. By eleven o'clock, the club was almost filled up. Twelve o'clock we was at capacity. Line is still around the building, and I just remember it was so much money in the cash register. I had to take the money out and empty it out and go hide it in the back so that we could have space in the cash register.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 6: And then twelve thirty hit, and then I just started hearing whispers in the crowd like yo, man, jacket j A coming in. Got us, Yo, he got us, Yo, he's doing it got And I was like, Yo, should I just take the money and run. You know what I'm saying, This is gonna be it right here up. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, And yo, man, Like around one fifteen, this is when to see a less Mercedes just came out, and you know, the g wagons just started popping out on the streets. They just started pulling up. It was like three of them, man, and they hopped out. It was it was Brian and his brother and they hopped in.
Speaker 2: They hopped out.
Speaker 6: We walked into the club and they had a good time, and we did about seven hundred people that night, and I ended up having a run for about three and.
Speaker 2: A half years.
Speaker 6: Man, it was one of the biggest parties on Thursday nights in Atlanta.
Speaker 5: At that moment, when you see him pulled up, you was it like, yeah, I'm a man, I got this yo.
Speaker 2: It was like seeing Jesus himself.
Speaker 3: But let me, did you establish a date with them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they started seeing the fly.
Speaker 2: That's what we're gonna be tonight.
Speaker 3: So you told date, you know, did they perform or he popped up?
Speaker 2: He just wanted to buy the Hennessy?
Speaker 3: How much? How mu? How much would you make that night? You remember?
Speaker 6: I think I made about five granted that night after everything was paid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at that time, you you weren't Alex, you were Sincere.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The reason I switched my name is Sincere. I just liked how it signed for one I think the ladies liked it. But another reason was because ag Entertainment. He's the biggest promoter and I think in the country. Honestly shot the ag entertainment for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, his name was Alex, and I didn't want people confusing me with him, Like I didn't want people to have to be like, Hey, which Alex the other Alex?
Speaker 3: So I was just like, this is separate my So I had nothing to do with belly.
Speaker 5: That's what I was a nasa h He's Brooklyn dude, so he might be a JA yeah.
Speaker 3: For sure, shout to ask him.
Speaker 4: Man, all right, cool, So all right, that's a crazy story that you actually had enough courage to do that.
Speaker 2: And I honestly like to cut you off.
Speaker 6: What I want to say is that throwing that party for those many years, that was like my first taste of entrepreneurship.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: I went from working at a call center to now I am running a full staff. I got security guards, I got police offices, right, I got marketing people, I got the door girl.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It was my first time doing payroll, and I learned how to become a leader. I learned how to.
Speaker 6: Take initiative, right, and it taught me how to brand, It taught me how to market. I had to convince people to leave the city of Atlanta and come to the country, Gwenett County and come party with me.
Speaker 2: And we did that.
Speaker 6: So it's a lot of I took a lot from throwing parties, man, and it came full circle to some of the.
Speaker 2: Qualities that I have today.
Speaker 6: Even a telemarketing spot, like I had to sell stuff to people on his phone. You know this is before people were hanging right up on telemarketers, right, But I had to call people and convince them to go to they whilet get their credit card and give me their credit card number over the phone about this product that they had never heard of before.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So when you talk about like sales, like it really turned me into a hustle, Like I had to eat what I killed. If I didn't get them sales, we wasn't eating. So you know, I tell people all the time, like if you got a nine to five right now, it's all good, but just use it as leverage, right, take take take the good stuff from that, the skills that you're learning, and be able to apply that into something that works for yourself and that's what I did.
Speaker 4: So on the one thing I like about you is that you you weathered the storm. You got a lot of lights up and down. Sometimes you sometimes you down. So you had a good thing going in Atlanta and then you went you took your talents to South Beach and you was living and he was living a highlight in Brickle. Yeah, shout out to Miami.
Speaker 3: This is what year was that.
Speaker 2: This is Lebron James.
Speaker 6: This is around like two thousand and nine, ten, around that time.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he just got there. Yeah, I got there. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So he went down there like three months after I moved. I might be a little bit off on the dates, but I just know when I moved down there. He made the announcement about three months later.
Speaker 3: So that was Live on Sunday and I whole vibe.
Speaker 6: This is when, like you know, young Money was on fire. They was living down there, and Live on Sundays started blowing up, you know, and Lebron was down there, and you know, it's when we went in championships, like, it was a good time.
Speaker 3: I noticed.
Speaker 4: It was good energy. So all right, so you you live in a high life out there. But you said, like you wasn't broke, right, I'm gonna be real, man. Like I went down there and I was living off my savings, you know what I'm saying. I was like, when I get down there, I got a couple of dollars, I'm gonna figure something out on a network with some people when I get down to Miami, and I'm gonna be real with you man. And I know some people might degree like, Yo, Miami, you either got already have your bread together or you know, a lot of people are doing the legal things out there, you know what I'm saying. But I just couldn't find nothing to do, so I would just you know, Miami, it's real easy to spend the money out there. But if you already already got like your relationships set up, if you if you don't speak Spanish, yeah, it's gonna be a grind to get that network up out there.
Speaker 2: So yo.
Speaker 6: I got down on my last after living down there for about three years. Man, I got down to my last five grand and I was like, wow, like, I ain't gonna be able to stay down here, Like I'm gonna have to go back to Atlanta, back to my network, back to my friends and figure something out, you know what I'm saying, And that's what I did. I moved back to Atlanta twenty twelve. I moved back, and I'm humbly speaking, I moved back with my mother.
Speaker 4: So how is that for you? Because if anybody does, it's not familiar. You lived in Brick right over.
Speaker 6: The bridge, Yeah, in that area right there at the Icon Brickle right there, my spot.
Speaker 3: A lot of good memories in Miami.
Speaker 4: So if anybody's not familiar, that's like, you know, the whole vibe you see all the movies that's right on the water. It's just living a high life, right you got you know, beautiful beaches, beautiful women.
Speaker 2: It's a whole lot of motivation.
Speaker 4: So so you're living in it, I'm assuming you had a nice spot, nice to condo, real nice. How humbling was that to have to move back in with your mom?
Speaker 6: It was the most humbling, the most humbling experience I had to do.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. This is when you know, social media was just starting to power. For I'm gonna be.
Speaker 6: Real, like I erased my social media and everything. They're not gonna see me like this, you know, I'm real talk like I was living on the top floor, you know, a little one bedroom, real nice spot overlooking the water, you know what I'm saying. And to go from that to living back with my mother, it was definitely humbling, man. But I told I said, I just need six months, Like give me six months. Let me just work on my credit again, let me get my credit straight, let me save up a couple of hours, let me get from one of these bills for a minute, right and just get.
Speaker 2: My head cleared out for a second. And I was like, I'm gonna figure something, not just give me six months. And my mom's you're making like I gotta sort.
Speaker 6: I should have known, you said, flat Bush.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so you.
Speaker 6: Know, I don't know what the American culture is like. But my mom was glad to have me back. I'm all that child like. She was excited, like, ah, you're coming back. So she got my room, my old church in the morning every day, so you know what I'm saying. But I was like, my like, don't make me too comfortable. I gotta leave, you know what I'm saying. But man, I spent them six months just just figuring out what I'm wanted to do next. And one thing I did know. It was like, Yo, whatever it is is gonna be for myself. I'm gonna continue being an entrepreneur. Getting a job was just not even an option for me at that point. And linked up with just when this dude named Derek Man, you know, Derek hit me up like, Yo, bro, let's let's go ahead and you know, go in on a line of credit and jump into something, maybe a restaurant or a barber shop or something. I was like, cool, He's like, I got a couple of relationship with some banks, you know, your credit straight, Let's go ahead and make something happen. So we went and got a line of credit for about forty I think it was like forty fifty grand, and we went around looking at restaurants, looking at buildings.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. It was a big deal. I was excited, like were about to get a restaurant.
Speaker 6: But every time we would try to lock in on the spots, something would fall through. The building, cold wouldn't get approved, or it was just something right. Then we started looking at barber shops, same thing. The just wouldn't coming together. But during that whole process, I just kept running in a people that was in the trucking industry, you know, whether it was drivers, whether it was a fleet owners. It was just like a coincidence. So one dude hit me up. I don't want to see his name because I don't know how far the things.
Speaker 2: I don't want to you know, you know who.
Speaker 3: You know, nobody's listening.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I ran into this dude man and he was like, yo, I got this contract with the Post Office, right, I got box trucks, and I got these lanes, and if you get a box truck, I'll put you on. And you know again, I'm from New York, I'm a hustle. I'm like, yo, it's working, like okay, I didn't get a truck. It was good. I woun't got me a trucks. I literally took some of the money that we got from a lot of credit. We went and got a lot of went and got some trucks. Got one truck first. It was a box truck. This is the twenty six foot trucks like you can get from like U haul.
Speaker 2: It's like the biggest truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah's can you explain what a box truck is?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so a box truck is Again, if you go to U haul, you know, you're moving and you want to move your own stuff. It's the big truck that you can get is called a twenty six foot box truck, so pretty much is like half the size of an eighteen wheeler. Right, And these trucks, due to the weight, they're not required by law for you to have a CDL to drive them.
Speaker 2: Right. You're only required to have a CDL to drive a.
Speaker 6: Truck that's grossed over twenty six thousand pounds, okay, and a bus too, right.
Speaker 2: They have different levels of CDLs. So yeah, so these.
Speaker 6: Trucks were, like, you know, not that expensive to get into. So I was like, so I went and got what we went at least one actually from penske Man. Let me tell you something. So I hit my man up. I'm like, yo, I got the truck. Was good, and he's like, okay, then that was fast.
Speaker 2: You know, me make a couple of calls.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna reach out to my people and try to get y'all on. I hit nothing back for like another week or two. So I hit him back like yo, it's good, and then he just stopped answering his phone.
Speaker 3: Lose my number?
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty much, he just stopped answering his phone, like, you know how you meet people like yeah, yeah, they used to be talking though, like I got you and put you on, but they won't be thinking that you series.
Speaker 2: They think that you playing.
Speaker 6: So here I am with this truck, with this box truck. I don't know nothing about trucks, but I got a truck. Note around the corner, right, We got insurance that we just put on this truck that's around the corner that don't stop.
Speaker 2: How much did the truck cost we put down?
Speaker 6: I think it was about six grand down on it and it was at least and then we paid monthly.
Speaker 2: Right, So is this truck like sitting outside your mom's cab? Where's the truck?
Speaker 6: We got parking lots for trucks, you know what I'm saying. So here we are now, like yo, I don't know what to do. But I was like I either had a choice to either sink or swim, right, and I decided to swim. So I went online. I'm on YouTube how to run a trucking company. I'm on Google how to run a truck and company. I'm literally up stressed out trying to figure this thing out. And I found out about something called the low Board. Low Board is a database that has every single load coming in and out of every city in real time. Okay, so you can literally get on there and find the loads, negotiate your rates, have your truck, go pick it up, deliver it, and get paid.
Speaker 3: What's what's what's the load?
Speaker 2: A load is freight pretty much, it's freight.
Speaker 6: Stuff that you're actually putting on the trucks and you're getting paid to pick it up and deliver it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So I was like, Okay, this is not It's not too hard. I could figure this out. You know what I'm saying. Again, I did telemarket and I know how to negotiate, right. We talk about getting certain skills from the jobs. I learned how to negotiate and convince people by doing the telemarketing. So I'm like, I'm on this board, like, yo, I need this much for my truck.
Speaker 2: Let's go. So I'm booking loads.
Speaker 6: The money is starting to come in, and Yo, it looked like everything was going okay until I started looking at my spreadsheets a few months later, and I'm starting to look at that and I'm learning what a balance a P and L statement is.
Speaker 2: Now I'm learning what.
Speaker 6: A profit and law statement is now right, and I'm realizing, like, yeah, the money is coming in, but it's going right back out. And the reason why is because I'm not negotiating correctly. Right here, I am coming from living with my mother, you know, not making no money to now this dude is offering me a thousand dollars for this load. But the load is going from Atlanta to Virginia or or Boston, right, so that thousand dollars after I pay fuel, after I pay my driver, I'm doing. I'm running a nonprofit organization, you know what I'm saying. Pretty much, I'm literally doing a nonprofit, you know. But I didn't realize that.
Speaker 2: Yes you were. You were low bolling the negotiation every time and not even.
Speaker 6: On the wise, had called us crackhead express. You know what I'm saying, My man, David said that yo running loads for the load like you know what I'm saying, Yeah, yeah, we might as well have been crackhead express man.
Speaker 2: Whatever they is paying, we was taking it.
Speaker 3: So then, so that that kind of fell apart right for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, After eleven months, man, we was upside down.
Speaker 5: How many tries I said that time we jumped up the five. I'm a hustle. I'm like, yo, it's working. I'm seeing the money come in. Let's go ahead and get some more.
Speaker 6: So I'm up to five trucks down doing it all the wrong way.
Speaker 4: So when it fell apart, that was another major setback for you, right, Like, how how did that happen? Like when you realize I got to pull a plug on this.
Speaker 6: When we was running out of money and we realized we was in the hole deeper than we could get out of. Right, So one thing that's important in business is that you got to know when to exit.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You got to stop the bleeding. And I decided to stop the bleeding. Right.
Speaker 6: But people ask you all the time, like what made you still give it another shot after you failed so terribly? And I tell people all the time, I seen the potential in the industry. I knew I just did something wrong. So I took a whole another nine months off to figure out what did.
Speaker 2: I do wrong?
Speaker 4: You said in and not because we're about to go to the next seven when you gonna talk about the resurgence, how you wrote it was like the phoenix, you said, like you took not much. You ain't even get a head cut or nothing like.
Speaker 6: It was just I locked in. I was, I was in the house, man. You know, I had a dog at the time. The only time I left my house literally was to walk my dog. And it'll be days I forget to eat. Just doing research. I'm just I mean, I think it personal. I'm like, yo, I'm not about to just lay down like like, I gotta figure this thing out.
Speaker 2: And yeah, no haircut for six months. You know. I call it the year to sacrifice.
Speaker 6: Stop partying, stop going out, stop you know, just all the way locked in. And I tell people a time like, yo, you're not gonna get to it. You're trying to get to without that sacrifice. It's something that you're doing on a daily basis that's holding you back from getting to where you're trying to get to it. You got to identify what it is. Mons was just going out all the time, partying all the time, you know, just not just not having money management.
Speaker 2: And so, yeah, that was the year of sacrifice right there. Thirteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, correct, that's so c as far as what you said, as far as you just got to regroup sometimes and it's difficult, it's difficult, but we about to go into the next segment. Like I said, when we were gonna talk about the good side, you end up all bad. As long as you stay down here, you're gonna come up event today.
Speaker 3: Now you're going to the next segment.
Speaker 4: All right, So we got the backstory, and you know you stayed down till you came up, but we now I want to I'm interested in it.
Speaker 3: Come up.
Speaker 4: So all right, you stayed in your mom's crib for nine months, no haircut, just walk the dog, just on some real will smith pursued happiness, just figuring it out, all right.
Speaker 3: So what happened?
Speaker 4: Like you just had like an epiphany and it's like I got it, Like what can you explain me how you woke out of that darkness and re emerged to the sunlight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So when I went out of business with the box trucks, my sole purpose of my research was to identify what I did wrong and apply the correct information to my operations. And the first thing I realized is, like, yo, I need to get the eight wheeler. Like the box trucks is cool, but the eighteen wheeler's going to definitely like open up my options.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: It was so funny because when I would be on the low board. With the box trucks, I would have to do the search for twenty six foot, right, I can only look for loads that would fill up the twenty six foot of the trailer. But I would just sometimes just get curious and like, h let me see what the eighteen wheeler loads it like. So it'll be like eighty loads available for box trucks with four thousand loads available for eighteen wheelers, and I'd be like, man, like them eighteen wheelers is eating. So that was the first thing I realized during my research. It's like, yo, I need to get.
Speaker 2: An eighteen wheeler. So when I got the eighteen wheeling and I started rolling with that one, it was.
Speaker 6: Like night and day. It was like night and day, you know what I'm saying. And you know, I learned how to negotiate. I learned how to read the market. I learned how to position my trucks.
Speaker 4: So you said that before as far as all right, so just to get the first eighteen wheeler, did you finance that?
Speaker 3: Did you lease it?
Speaker 6: How do you my first eighteen wheeler. I was able to get that for really cheap. This dude that I know he was going through a divorce and I think his wife is trying to take everything. He was like, YO, just give me a price. I literally paid about seventy eight hundred dollars first, it was a.
Speaker 3: Nineteen How much does it cost, like on average.
Speaker 6: For a good truck that you you know that we recommend getting. It's gonna be anywhere from fifty to sixty thousand, and that's brand new US about twenty sixteen, twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: All right, so use the truck. Yeah, but you always only I got an old one.
Speaker 3: You only recommend use trucks.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 6: Why because a brand new truck is gonna run you upwards of one hundred something thousand dollars, right, and it's going to get you the same results as a as.
Speaker 2: A semi US truck. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: It's all about getting a truck that you know, the warranty, you gotta go warranty on it, it's inspected. And if you get you a really good used truck, it's gonna get you the same results. But you're being able to you'll be able to make your money back.
Speaker 5: So between forty five to sixty for a used one fifty to sixty how's the financing on that?
Speaker 2: Is there a certain amount of to leave down to get that type of show.
Speaker 6: So it's just different ways. So if you're an investor, right, if you don't have a CDL. By the way, I don't have a CDL, never drove a truck before, don't plan on driving. You're not trying to drive, you know what I'm saying. That's why I got so much respect for drivers is I don't do it.
Speaker 2: I can't do it.
Speaker 6: So as an investor, you're gonna put down an average of about thirty percent down, right, thirty percent down is what I've been seeing for the last few years with you know these banks at the actual dealerships, right, there's different ways that you can come into the game. You could actually go through the truck dealership, right, and if you go through that route as an investor, it's gonna be thirty percent. But if you have a CDL, it's gonna be a little bit less down let's say, around fifteen to twenty percent. And the reason why it's less for somebody who actually owns the CDLs because the risk is a lot less for the banks.
Speaker 2: They're looking at it like, hey, look.
Speaker 6: If you're an investor you don't have a CDL, you get a truck and you don't have a driver, there's a higher chance that you're gonna default on your loan because your truck's is gonna be sinning. Versus somebody who has a CDL. They could actually just hop in their truck. You can go generate some money to pay they notes. So again, thirty percent is the average down on a fifty to sixty thousand dollars truck for an investor with no CDL, and about fifteen to twenty percent down is the average that I've been seeing. If you have a CDL, we call them own the operators due to own their trucks and operate their trucks as well. What I recommend, though, the best scenario as far as getting into the game no is just having like decent credit and having relationships with your own bank a credit union for example. Right, some of these credit unions will finance you up to one hundred percent, right, so you don't have to put money a bunch of money down for the truck. So in no scenarios you'll be looking at getting into the game with about ten grand because now or you gotta pay for is your insurance, damn payment, your license, your dot numbers, your tags, et cetera. So that's the cheapest way to get into the game is getting financing directly from your credit union, just bringing them a bill of sales, like, hey, look, this is the bill of sales. Can you guys finance this truck You're gonna get you gonna get the best interest rate through your credit union, and that's the best way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I did my first like two cars to my credit union. It was just like they take the money right out your check. So it's like you never have to worry about it, and the interest rate, like you said, is a lot lower.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So you said, as far as okay, reading the market, what does that.
Speaker 2: Mean reading the market?
Speaker 6: Like, okay, so the trucking literally changes every week, like literally every week, Like Atlanta could be the hot zone this week. As far as freak, when I say supplying the man, I'm talking about loads.
Speaker 2: To truck ratio. Yeah, I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So, like, for example, I think the last time I checked, Atlanta had about thirty nine hundred loads and they had about fourteen hundred trucks. Right, there's certain parts of the city, right now Wisconsin is one of them hot right now. Wisconsin had about I want to say, about five thousand loads and like eight hundred trucks available in the last business day. What does that mean to y'all?
Speaker 4: Supply you're gonna be able to charge a higher amount because it's not enough.
Speaker 2: It ain' enough truck trucks out there.
Speaker 6: So now we have all these shippers, all these shippers that's fighting for trucks now, So what are they going to have to do to make sure that.
Speaker 2: Their load get to move paid top dollar? That's where the negotiating power comes in. That.
Speaker 6: So if you don't understand, okay, this week Atlanta, Virginia, Tennessee is hot, I need to position my trucks up there.
Speaker 2: If you don't know that, you're gonna miss out.
Speaker 6: And that's what I specialized, and I specialize it and know and knowing where to position my trucks at to get that top dollar because all it is is connecting the dots. We're going from one city to the next city to the next city. Right So a lot of times what I was messing up at is I would just take the big, the best paying load going wherever, not realizing that when I got there, it wasn't no loads there, right, So I'm thinking like, Okay, I'm about to eat on this three thousand dollars load, not realizing when I get to Iowa, for example, right, I'm gonna have to draw probably five hundred miles to get to another good load. So now I don't put most of my profit back into the fuel tank to get to that next market. So it's not just about booking the load that day, it's about looking at where the load is going and what that market is looking like as well.
Speaker 4: So you said it changes weekly. How do you how do you know? Like it's like website how you.
Speaker 5: Said something about trucks having seasons, Like how does that work?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean we got peak seasons, we got slow seasons.
Speaker 6: We got times where produces are is real high at that time, and you know, like that's around April or like July is produce season. You know what I'm saying, The freight rates go up because it's more it's more demand for trucks.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: But we have we actually have on some of the load boards, we actually have a feature that shows you all the hot zones in the whole country, so we can literally go on there and see what's going on in the market.
Speaker 3: Right, anybody has access to those low boards or.
Speaker 2: You have to.
Speaker 6: You have to have an active authority in order to have action. Your dot number there's a number that's on the side of all the trucks and you have to have that activated in order for you to have access to that low board. So the general public just couldn't go on and look at the lowboard.
Speaker 4: They probably wouln't even understand it even if they did. Nah, it's like reading Spanish.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, it's similar to like a search engine for like travelocity, like if you're traveling, it's similar to that. But if you just knew nothing about it, you would definitely need to get trained on how to actually operate with it.
Speaker 4: So you have like a map in your office where you have like, Okay, I'm gonna go from Atlanta to Philly to New York to Chicago, and this is gonna like how do you calculate the math on it to sit because like you said, that was a good point, like you might it might be good money going to Idaho, Iowa, but now you got to come back to Atlanta and you don't really have any other stops in between, So like, do you have a set idea, Okay, you need to hit at least five stops Everywhere's it like five hundred miles or something like that, or you don't do more than five hundred miles, like fifty miles something like that, or is that like a formula?
Speaker 6: Or well, whenever I book it load and I brought a couple here for example, just to show you, guys, right, but whenever you book and load, it's important that.
Speaker 2: You know how much more.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding of professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member fdic.
Speaker 2: Erness. What's up.
Speaker 5: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds. Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on.
Speaker 2: What matters most ready.
Speaker 5: To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 7: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer, speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you.
Speaker 2: Need funny to be making after the load is complete. So I just bought it. Like the load.
Speaker 6: We're doing the load right now as we speak. One of my drivers picked up below yesterday. Right the load is picking up in Tennessee and Leverge, Tennessee picked up yesterday on the twentieth and it's going to Franklin, Massachusetts, delivering on Monday. Right, they're paying me twenty four hundred dollars for that load, right, So when I look at that load, I got to figure out how many miles is from the origin to the destination.
Speaker 2: So I did the math. It's about a thousand miles.
Speaker 6: So now I got to figure out how much fuel is it gonna take for me to complete that load? So let's do the math be and this is the formula that I teach my students. So we're gonna take the rate that the load is paid. So we have twenty four hundred dollars, right, and then I know that it's one thousand miles. So I hadn't figure out how much fuel am I gonna need to get this job complete? So we're just gonna take a thousand miles. We're gonna divide that by six miles per gallon, because that's the average that each truck used six months. Yeah, you get six eight miles if you got a good truck. But I'm just gonna do worse case scenario, right, So divide that by six. Right, So I know it's gonna take me one hundred and sixty six gallons of diesel in order to complete that load from Tennessee to Massachusetts. Right, So what I'm gonna do is then times that times the average amount of diesel the price for diesel, which is about three dollars and twenty five cents right now.
Speaker 2: Right, So that's showing me right there.
Speaker 6: Out of that twenty four hundred dollars, I'm gonna have to use five hundred and forty.
Speaker 2: Of it on fuel just to get there and get back.
Speaker 6: Right, So me personally, everybody pays eight drivers differently. I pay my jovers a percentage, right, so I pay my job is twenty percent of whatever that load is paying. So just remember that number right there. So we're gonna do twenty four hundred times twenty percent. It's four hundred and eighty dollars. Remember that number. And then going up there, we got toes. So I'm gonna say, I think going up there is gonna be about one hundred and eighty dollars in toes. Right, So if we do twenty four hundred dollars minus was it five to forty?
Speaker 2: How much does do you drive away? Eighty four eighty minus one eighty and tolls?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So we had eleven ninety nine on a profit that'sfit.
Speaker 2: That's my profit that I'll see on Monday.
Speaker 6: So she picked up the load yesterday, drove this will up with you guys right now. My truck is driving right now as we speak, right and by the time I wake up on Monday morning, it's delivering at seven am.
Speaker 2: She's going to deliver.
Speaker 6: By the time I wake up, I'll be able to get eleven ninety nine in my bank account about five thirty PM. That's another thing about trucking that I love is that it's liquid. Every single day I'm getting deposits in our business account.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't got to wait thirty days to get paid. Right.
Speaker 6: We pick up a load on a Monday, we deliver on a Tuesday, We get paid on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the day, we have a factoring company.
Speaker 6: A factory company is a third party bank that literally purchases our invoices from us. Right now, my volume is so high. I started off at three percent. I'm down to one percent right now. So I get charged one percent to get paid the same day, and they wait thirty days to get paid.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense? Wow?
Speaker 6: Right, So when you talk about people who are are in other industries like real estate, or they do deals where they need finance. You know how attractive it looks to a bank to see daily deposits into your account.
Speaker 2: When I go to my bank, they harass me. You don't want the line of credit?
Speaker 6: You sure you don't want to line the credit today because I'm a lower risk because.
Speaker 2: They seeing that you have money coming in, that daily deposit coming in.
Speaker 3: That's dope.
Speaker 4: So all right, how do you get drivers? Like what's the process to that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's the hardest part of our industry. Like I'm not going to sit here and just tell y'all the good part, right, you know what I'm saying. If anybody just tells you the good part of anything, just run away from them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: That's the biggest obstacle in our industry. Why because we're talking about the human factor right here. We're talking about people, right, personalities, and with the drivers, they don't have to necessarily be the most polished people. You know, we this is an industry where we hire feelings, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, they don't have to have education.
Speaker 2: It is what it is, right.
Speaker 6: So the thing about drivers is that This is a very challenging job. This job requires them to be away from their families, right, This job requires them to be driving at some times eleven hours straight. In the day of drivers are only allowed to drive for eleven hours straight. They're allowed to be on duty for fourteen hours they're allowed and then they have to shut down for ten hours.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: Everybody can't drive for eleven hours straight every single day.
Speaker 2: That stuff, right.
Speaker 6: So I got so much respect for jobs, man, and just shout out to you know, to the drivers out there, man, like the world will stop without y'all. You know what I'm saying. So I just got a lot of respect for y'all. And that's why I treat my drivers really really well, you know. And we're gonna get into the portal and all that.
Speaker 2: What I train on. But you know, I know sites that I go on sites.
Speaker 6: And I I put out an attractive ad.
Speaker 2: That's the first thing I wrote it down. Man.
Speaker 5: When I saw the ad, you were like, we're gonna pay you more by accident than ever shorten you on purpose.
Speaker 6: And I was like, wow, that's not even on my ad. That's what I tell my driver is actually after I get them. But I tell them all the time because one of the biggest things when I'm doing these driver interviews, I'm like, yo, why.
Speaker 2: Did you leave your last job? Like what made you leave?
Speaker 6: In eighty percent of the time, it's because they previous employee was playing with their money. Right, That's the number one excuse that I hear while drivers leave companies is they playing with the money. So I tell them all the time, like, look, I'll pay you more on accident before I short you on purpose. It's my honor to pay you. You're helping me feed my family. I don't have a CDL. You know, we both got to roll and play, So it's my honor to pay you and just treating them with respect. And I don't treat them like they work for me. I treat them like business partners. You gotta roll the play, I gotta roll to play. Your role is to make sure that low gets there on time, right, safely and communication. And my job is to make sure that your truck is safe, it's operating correctly, the loads are there, and you get your paycheck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: One of the things you do with your trucks is you put extra equipment inside of the truck. Just any event that there is something that happens. From a mechanical standpoint, maintenance, yeah, is what it's called. It's not just about reacting when the truck breaks down. Is how can I decrease my trucks possibility of breaking down?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 6: And and what I've shared with people is how I was able to decrease my breakdowns about twenty one percent in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: This is the little things that I've.
Speaker 6: Done, Little little little extra things that you can do to just help help yourself on that road. You know, whatever belt that your truck uses, right, you got to all todate the belt. We got a AC belt. Just put an extra set of belt in your extra set of belts in your truck.
Speaker 2: Right, keep any freeze, keep.
Speaker 6: All in there, keep fuses, keep light bulbs, keep an extra spare tire or two. Right, little fixes that can have you shut down for five hours. Wait on the roadside. If you already have the part there, it's gonna save you some time and save you some money, save you a lot of money. Right, they're gonna charge you just to look at it.
Speaker 3: So how do you all? Right?
Speaker 4: So you have a truck, you have the whole operation, you have drivers and all that, but you had to have a product to move right. So is it most companies like free lance or do you have set contracts with the people long term?
Speaker 3: Is it a combination of both? Like how does that work?
Speaker 6: So when you first come into this game, you know, the low board is pretty much your best friend at that point, right when you when when you just freshen the game, you gotta develop relationships. So the load board is where we started off at the load board.
Speaker 4: That's the website, right, that's the website, and what's what's the web loadboard?
Speaker 3: Dot com dot com.
Speaker 6: D as we have we have the that board and we have truck stop dot com. Okay, those are the two big ones. So on this low board there's brokers. You know, these are the people who have the lows and we have to call and negotiate with, right. So what I did was we just started doing We just did good business, right. We stressed being all time, we stressed delivering a good service. And what happened is we would just be meeting all these different brokers every day from booking different loads in different cities and then me personally, I ended up doing this load that I really liked It was a load that picked up in Georgia and it went to Cleveland, Tennessee, and it was twice a day. Right, you would pick up in Atlanta, you would go to Cleveland, Tennessee, which is right there by Chattanooga's like two hours away, two hours away, right, and they was paying us seven fifty to go two hours away and back.
Speaker 2: And we was doing it twice a day.
Speaker 6: Okay, So we was generating fifteen hundred dollars a day, going up twice and.
Speaker 2: I loved it. Right. We did it for like a week.
Speaker 6: It was like this project day was working on, right, And then I looked at the numbers that week.
Speaker 2: I was like, Yo, this is dope. So I hit the broke up, like.
Speaker 6: Yo, how often do y'all do these loas? He was like, man, it's funny you asked that. Man, we just got an extension on this project. We're gonna be doing this for the next now months.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: Right, So I'm like wow, he was like, yay, you know what. Maybe put We had like about five different companies on this all load, but y'all actually executed the best. Y'all communicated. Whenever something was a delay, you called me immediately. You let me know what was going on. He was like, man, with you, you know, how many trucks do you guys have? Would you guys like to you know, do this full time? And at the time, I think we was at about five or six trucks. I was like, y'all give you all my trucks. And man, when I tell you this is two thousand and seventeen, we ran this load. We ran this a load for the whole year, right, And that was the year I really I was able to level up on my cast.
Speaker 2: That was the entire business. It was just where it was that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they was moving one plant from Cleveland, Tennessee to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: We was moving an.
Speaker 6: Entire plant for a fortune five hundred company to Atlanta. That nine months ended up turning into two years. Oh wow, and then then it ended up turning into nine years.
Speaker 4: Now, how profitable is is your business as far as like truck or on average?
Speaker 3: Like how how much can the truck make?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 6: And I like to underpromise and overachieve, right, I don't like to give the high numbers.
Speaker 2: I like to give the low ball numbers.
Speaker 6: Right with the way that we do it, each truck should be able to generate you anywhere from fifteen hundred to three thousand a week take home.
Speaker 2: After all expenses are paid.
Speaker 6: That's what a truck that's not breaking down. That's what a good driver, and that's what a full week of work. We don't see any reason why you should be able to at least take home about fifteen hundred dollars a week per truck.
Speaker 3: And of course you can have multiple trucks, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a volume game after that, a volum game after that.
Speaker 5: That's how you got your trust, right the first truck paid for the second time.
Speaker 6: Money management is how you is how you scale up. You know, I had to make a lot of sacrifices in the first couple of years. And instead of when I made my profits, instead of using the money and buying frivolous things, I would just reinvest it back into the company.
Speaker 2: I would reinvest in new equipment. Right, and then when.
Speaker 6: You jump up to four, five, six trucks, then the money that's when it gets real crazy.
Speaker 2: A fleet. Yeah you know what I'm saying. I said, I've been doing this.
Speaker 6: I've been doing this game for like but six years now, and I just really started like buying stuff like this year, you know what I'm saying, Like I just started really like enjoying life and traveling.
Speaker 2: I made my sacrifice. I reinvested in my company.
Speaker 4: Right, that's the common that's the common theme for every almost every one of our guests. Almost it's funny you say that because literally we've had people from the music and just people from real estate developers, trucking now and the one common theme is exactly what you said, like you got it's all money in, Like you gotta put the money in, and that's something that it sounds simple, but nobody wants to do that. As soon as you get profit. People want to live off that on some selfish like just go to the mall and just ball out. And it's like that's not how it works. And it's like you try to explain that to people and they still don't understand.
Speaker 6: You got to pay your dues. You gotta pay your dues, man. And you know, like I said, this year, I bought my dream car.
Speaker 2: I went and what you call the sixty three cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, I seen you to spending get that to you that.
Speaker 2: Came with it, That came with it, y'all.
Speaker 6: But yeah, man, you know we like we I paid my dues. So like any success that I've seen, I'm unapologetic for because I put it in the work for it.
Speaker 4: Now, we never apologize about making a profit. That's what we're in business for you in.
Speaker 5: A business like you said, it's a seven hundred billion dollar industry. Absolutely, and you're like, honestly, you're the first person I know that's doing it.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Can I you first black person? For sure? For damn sure?
Speaker 6: We are minorities in this industry. With minorities, Yo, we tell you something. I went to Louisville, Kentucky. It's this big truck show that they do every year in Louisville, Kentucky. It's called a match Truck Show. Right, thousands of people, I mean, they bring these trucks, is like tricked out trucks.
Speaker 2: They got classes there.
Speaker 6: It's the biggest convention in the trucking industry, right every year. I went there last year and I'm walking through the crowd, y'all, and I had a couple of my students with me. It was all eight of us, right, and we played a game. The game was how many minorities can you find in this crowd? It's it's mind blowing how much of a minority we are in this industry. And I'm gona tell you, they just messed up and let me figure it out.
Speaker 4: That stuff letting me in, all right, all right, So now we're gonna talk about how in the next seven how you duplicated yourself in the educational component of what you got. Now it's all you're spreading the message of the trucking business and all of its benefits. All right, So we're gonna go We're gonna go into what you're doing now as far as educating people. But I just thought I had a quick question for you before we go into that. How has Amazon affected your industry? Because has it affected.
Speaker 2: It or not? Me? No, I mean Amazon.
Speaker 6: I mean we ran a lot of lows for Amazon, especially like earlier this year, last year. You know, it hasn't affected me in a negative way. Okay, Yeah, I think it's just making the industry bigger.
Speaker 5: What about insurance, So like if you're carrying a little and something happens to that truck, this is their insurance policy.
Speaker 6: Or truck and we have a minimum insurance that we have to have of a million dollars liability and on each truck. Correct, Okay, million dollars and really that's for the company. The company has a million dollar liability, right, and then we have one hundred thousand dollars coverage on our cargo.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So anything that's in our truck, like as far as the freight goes, it's covered up to one hundred thousand dollars. And then we have physical damage on the actual truck.
Speaker 2: God, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: So whatever the truck costs, of the truck cost sixty thousand dollars, we have physical damage in the amount of how much that truck costs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, So we had a guess from Baltimore on shot out to my man Derek Falcon, one.
Speaker 3: Of our favorite guess. Yeah. He was a restaurant owner.
Speaker 4: And one of the things that he says, you know, they said, the average millionaire has seven streams of income. But his theory was that I don't need to have seven different jobs or seven different businesses to generate seven streams of income. He's like, I could generate seven streams of income from one restaurant. He's like, I can. I could be a restaurant owner. I could be a consultant. I could deliver food, I can give classes, do all kinds of different stuff self merch. So I saw you were speaking about the same thing, right, So you you took the education component and turned it into a business as well. So win when because you're educating people, you're helping people, but you're also it's another form of revenue as well. Right, So can we talk about how you got into that because I know you started with just private coaching, correct, and now that's kind of turned into an online portal. Right, So yeah, can you talk about the evolution of what made you want to take your talents and said, Okay, I'm not just gonna be doing it for myself. I want to you know, bring other people and educate them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 6: In twenty fifteen, you know, this is when I finally started like making consistent profits. Right, This is when my systems was working and it started things started becoming a little bit more automated at this point, right. And I just remember one day saying like, man, if only I would have known in twenty twelve what I know now, I wouldn't have lost all that money, right, I wouldn't have lost all that time. So I was just sharing like my journey on Instagram, like, Yo, you know, this truck just did good. I just made this month this amount on this truck. And people would literally hit me up like hey, can you show me how to do that? And I didn't know what to charge. I didn't see anybody else doing it, but I was like, okay, I got to come up with something just for my time. So my first client, Dana, she was an attorney. She came up under Johnny cochran Man. She was like, hey, Alex, I'm very interested in getting into the industry. Like how much can I just pay you just to spend a couple of hours with you? And I was like, yo, we can do fifteen hundred. And that was my first client and it's on my page to this day on Instagram.
Speaker 2: No, just to stay with.
Speaker 6: Her, yeah, walk her through how to start her company and show her the low boarder oh nine.
Speaker 2: So it's on my Instagram to this day.
Speaker 6: We were sitting in the office just like this and I was showing it to her and she got up and running. I think she had like four trucks now, but I just remember the feeling that I felt watching her go from not knowing anything about truck into now she's running it on her own. She's calling me excited, Hey, I just made this this week.
Speaker 2: Da da da da.
Speaker 6: Da, And I like kind of felt so when I shared her story on my Instagram that I was getting a couple more DM, It's like, yo, I see what you did for a girl. You think you got y'all got a couple dollars, and you do the same thing for me. So then I'm like, okay, cool. So that one client turned into like four to five clients, and yo, it literally started going crazy after that, and then I looked up. I was at like forty clients by like twenty seventeen. But I was just being transparent and just sharing with the public, like, yo, I just put James in business. I just put her in business. I just it just started. It just kept coming. So I went from fifteen hundred to twenty five hundred a client. Then I went to thirty five hundred a client, and then when I looked up and I had a six month waiting list, I was like, man, I gotta go up some more, you know what I'm saying. So by yeah, So by the end of twenty seventeen, I was ten thousand dollars a client. I was a ten thousand dollars a client and by last March I had to wait and listen till Christmas.
Speaker 3: How many clients did you have at ten thousand?
Speaker 6: I probably did about twenty clients at ten thousand, and I had to wait and listen till Christmas last March or people don't stand by because I would only take a certain amount of clients per month just to make sure that I didn't stretch myself too thin and I didn't leverage my service the quality. And I met a guy you guys might normal god by the name of Eric Thomas E. T. The hip hop preacher, you know, just like y'all. I had been watching him on YouTube for years, you know what I'm saying. And he was doing a cruise last March, and I had never seen him speaking person before, like when I had went out of business.
Speaker 2: That's why I was.
Speaker 6: Listening to to keep me motivated to even give it another shot. And yo, I paid the money. The cruise was like five grand, and you know, it was like six months out and I was like, I'm going ahead to make this investment just to go get some motivation, right, And I went on this cruise. Man, it was going to send Martin and sent Thomas and mohamm was. I went on the cruise and I ended up meeting you know, his crew behind the scenes. I ain't really go there to take no picture with him and all that other stuff. I just literally went there just to get just to get the information man. And I ended up meeting CJ. CJ is right here, man. That really the brains behind every time it's in associates and you know, sitting down at dinner one night, he was like, hey, what do you doing.
Speaker 2: I just told him what I did, and he loved it.
Speaker 6: He was like, yo, I've heard about people in real estate doing seminars and teaching. He was like, but I ain't never seen nobody doing it for the transportation industry. He was like, Yo, this is uncharted territory right here. He was like, so you're doing one on ones though, I was like yeah. He was like, what are you doing with these one on ones? I'm like, yeah. I go to the dealership with them, right. I helped them pick the right truck, I helped them hire the drivers. I do conference calls with hiring drivers with them. I go down there with my mechanics. We inspect the trucks to make sure that they're not buying no BS trucks. Like I'm holding eight hands. He was like, damn bro, He's like, yo, that's dope. He said, you got a waiting list to win. He says, you know why, because you have it duplicated yourself. He said, in order for you to take it to the next level, in order for you to ski your information, you have to put this information online. And I was terrified. I'm like online like he was like yeah. I was like, I don't know if that's gonna work. I do one on one. You know what I'm saying, like this is this is a person for me. I don't want to just put it out there and people be He's like, now you have to put it online. He was like, look, this is what you do. Doo to do, record the videos, create the PDFs, let me know what you're done.
Speaker 2: And you're not even immediately said you're not even a computer.
Speaker 6: I'm not a computer person. So that's what that was. The really intimidating part is because I'm like, look, I'm not even a computer person, so just how is this gonna work. But I listened to him. I went and locked in for about four months. Man me and Batist we went and locked in and we put the another sacrifice, another four months of sacrifice, locked in, right created the content. I hit CJ up four months later, like, yo, I got it.
Speaker 2: It's done. He's like, yo, pull up on me. Let me see it.
Speaker 6: When he saw the content and he's seen how I laid it out, he was like, Yo, not only am I going to show you how to put this online, I want you to put it on our platform. We're gonna, We're gonna and we're gonna put it out on Breeve University. So now we launched our platform and it's so funny. You know, the dude that I've been looking up to for five years, I'm now in business with him now, and it's just it's just an amazing Is that the master of the game. Now, that's that's something different. I'll tell you about that next. Ye that's something different. So we launched our trucking Digital training Portal on October fifth of last year, and it's a step by step guide, like you know when I tell people are time, Like when I had first got into the game. Yeah, this information on YouTube, yeah, this information on Google, right, but the information is scattered. I was like, I need, we need to create a chronological order of how to not only get into this business, how to structure your business, but also once you're up and running, how to operate properly, how to maximize profits, but most importantly, how to stay in business.
Speaker 2: Right. So the course.
Speaker 6: Literally walks you from A to Z A to Z on how to do everything. And it's a combination of videos and PDFs because people learn differently. You got some people that learn better from visualizing, to some people that learn better from hearing, and some people that learn better from reading.
Speaker 2: So we have all three fixes in this portal, man.
Speaker 6: And my goal, really, man, when we launched it October last year, was just to get about fifty people. I didn't want to even put too much marketing behind it. I just wanted to just kind of like put it out there to my network, get a couple of people in there, and if there was any kinks, be able to tweak a little, you know, some things and add some things in there, and then go ahead and go crazy with it. So the goal was fifty for the first half of the launch, and we ended up doing three hundred and fifty people signed up within the first nine months.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So, so.
Speaker 3: As far as people that are.
Speaker 4: Who would want to be in the courts, people that want to get into the truck and industry obviously, but people that have experience already and didn't work out, or people that kind of put their tone in. People that have no experience, have no ideas like one on one, one on two, one on three, like what's the level?
Speaker 2: All the above, okay, all the above, everything you just said. This now is my clientele.
Speaker 6: Somebody who knows nothing about trucking, you know, has some funds that they're trying to invest. I don't necessarily want to drive, want to create a passive income situation.
Speaker 2: It's for that client.
Speaker 6: It's for the It's for the client who was already in business, but they're not reaching them full potential. They're not making what they feel like they should be making. It's certain things that they need to tighten up on. It's for them as well.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So, like as far as putting together the online course, right, how do you do that? Like you made the video and then you had the slides, Like you do that yourself?
Speaker 3: Or you worked with.
Speaker 2: Somebody, Yeah, me and batist Man.
Speaker 6: You know, my thing is this and this is what I felt about my life overall. I don't have asked on nothing that I do in life. So I was like, if I'm gonna do this, it got to be done right, right. So I created all the content and I had shot the will shot the canny man. They flew in from Michigan and it's actually the people who do the videos for ET and them. It's a whole camera who came to my office and they filled me. They spent three days with me, and I just recorded all the content, right. Fatise did all the PDFs, structured it real clear, real digestible, and we uploaded it into b University. And the platform that we use is probably the best platform out there as far as online training. It's the same platform that Damon John, Tony Robbins, you know all the short ten guys use, right, So it's very platformance. It's called light Speed Bike Speed Yeah. It's called light Speed yeah yeah. And I invested a lot of money and they're creating it to make it look like the way it looks. It's not a small ticket item. The courses two thousand right. We have two packages. We have a ninety day package that gives them access to all the courses for ninety days, because it shouldn't take you more than three months to get up and running if you're serious. And then we have our monthly Mastermind package that gives you everything in the first package, all the courses, but this one adds our Mastermind calls. So every other Tuesday, I'm hopping on the line with our members on Zoom. It's a video chat, and we discussed different topics and trucking. You know, we discussed all it's filling in all the gaps of the course. So it's a sixty or a ninety minute call and we're discussing. I'm doing a presentation of the actual topics. So one week we talked about truck financing. Second week we talked about insurance options. Another week we talked about finding and keeping good drivers. I remember that call. We had actual real drivers on the line giving insight on what made them apply for a job, right, what made them want to stay with a company, what made them leave a company?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Just giving future fleet owners insight to become better owners from the drivers.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: So right now there's about twenty seven calls that we've done so far. There's twenty seven hours worth of calls that people who sign up today on the portal will be able to go back and listen to, and it'll also be able to join us live on our upcoming call.
Speaker 5: So you create more content, more content, more constantly. How many people are on.
Speaker 6: These calls, it averages anywhere from like eighty one hundred people right now because everybody didn't sign up for the month.
Speaker 2: You've got some people that just got the ninety days.
Speaker 6: And the thing about it is you could actually sign up for the ninety day and then on day eighty nine you can upgrade into the Mastermind and then pay one ninety nine a month and it's no contract. You can cancel it anytime. And yeah, it's pretty dope, man.
Speaker 4: So what's your vision as far as where you want to take it as far as your personal brand business and also the education. You want to continue to grow both, or you just want to focus on education and not really your personal Like what do you see only above?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 6: At the end of the day, I want this portal. This portal will be and it is the holy Bible, Man of the transportation industry. Meaning that we've covered everything from A to Z. If you're trying to come into this industry, you must go through this portal and get educated, because it's education before compensation.
Speaker 3: Education before conversation. That's a fact. That's a fact.
Speaker 4: People trying to skip steps and not properly educate themselves in life, and that's where you make mistakes because you just jumping out. And that's one of the reasons why we started this podcast is we feel like, you know, a lot of times, especially in our community, we don't we don't have mentorships, we don't we're not properly educated. That's why you make a lot of mistakes. And you just kind of just how you made a mistake when you first started. You didn't you didn't have a mentorship, you didn't know what we was doing.
Speaker 2: I wish it was a portal back into that.
Speaker 3: It makes it a lot easier.
Speaker 4: And a lot of times people skim on important things, so they'll spend money on items that they don't need, but the items that they actually do need then they're cheap on. So education is something that you should never be cheap about. Absolutely, and we can never apologize for using our talents and our platforms to educate people and to get compensated for that. That college is doing it all the time, and there's no backlash with that. You go to Harvard, you're gonna pay three hundred thousand dollars over the course of four years, but you're getting properly educated and you'll be able to be an investment banker. Your program, you pay, but you're going to be educated on the trucking industry.
Speaker 6: So it's gonna save you time and it's gonna save you money. And you know, I brought what even one of my clients are first loads. They just ran a couple of weeks ago. You know, his first low was from Wisconsin to Massachusetts. It was a twenty eight hundred dollars load. After he paid his driver, his expenses, he damned and made what he spent on my portal his first load.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: But now, but this portal was teaching you guys how to fish. I'm teaching you how to book loads. I don't teaching you how to make money for the rest of your life. What's two thousand dollars to learn something that's going to show you how to make money forever?
Speaker 2: It's fat. You know what I'm saying. You're not like you said, you're not.
Speaker 5: You're not selling them how you're selling them your mistakes, right like hopefully you have to go through it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're paying for my mistakes if you if you take my class and you avoid making something that will cause you to lose five six thousand dollars, you already major investment. Back all my resources, everybody that I do business with that runs my fleet, from my dealerships where I get my trailers, from my insurance companies, my factory companies. I've literally turned over all my resources to my students on the portal. So now you ain't got to google nobody. Everybody that you need to run your company, I've given you their direct phone numbers on the portal. All you gotta do is just follow the blueprint. Let me say this, I am not the most our richest fleet owner. I'm not the biggest trucking company out here, right, But the companies that are bigger than me and richer than me, they're not sharing that blueprint.
Speaker 5: That's the difference, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, that was one of the things we mentioned this before. But Maverick Carter was saying, like, when people become successful, the number one thing they want to do is tell you how they have become successful.
Speaker 2: And that's exactly what you're doing right.
Speaker 5: So like some people say, like, Yo, we need a mentor and that's vital, Like You're like, you can have a mentor. But I'm telling you right here, this is it. You should be doing this because I made those mistakes earthly.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And I get that question a lot, like, Yo, why you do you feel like you're creating competition?
Speaker 2: Right? Like you show people the sauce, like is it possible to check competition?
Speaker 6: I said, well, all the time, like you'll never be able to get on the highway, and I see the eighteen wheeler.
Speaker 4: Exactly and also a shot shots of my man Fernando, lord of the Slum's legendary real estate invested in. Guy's a legend And he came on our podcast and he said he gave his whole blueprint and he's not even selling anything. And he said he was like Michael Jordan's show you how to play basketball, He's still Michael Jordan. Tyger Woods could show you how to swing it, it doesn't He's still Tiger Woods. Like you know what I'm saying, Like people have a misconception sometimes that if I educate somebody that takes away. No, I'm still gonna get money regardless. Just because you get money, it's enough for everybody to eat.
Speaker 6: I know what I'm saying, seven hundred billion, you're gonna get one hundred trucks and it was still won't affect my boxy, you know what I'm saying. So it definitely helps me, you know, show people because I don't. I don't lose anything from that, you know what I'm saying. And I just realized that it happens so organically that it just came to the point where it's like you know what, Yo, God, if this is what you want me to do, like I'm gonna listen, I'm gonna obey you. Like I found my purpose And that's why I don't even work for me no more, because it's like when you're operating in your purpose, they don't even feel like work no more. Man, you know what I'm saying, Like I realized, like, YOK, this is what I'm here for. I'm here to I know how to communicate, I know how to how to reach the people, right I was able to empty my brain into this portal. That's my purpose. Like when people say, what's your biggest accomplishment? Getting the testimonials from people, it's like, yo, look, I was able to provide a second source of income for my family. I was able to quit my job and take care of my newborn now because I don't have a drip a CDL. My driver's out there generating me income right now because of the information that I got from you. That's my biggest accomplishment to date. And I got a bunch of those.
Speaker 4: Stop lining your life up with bills and start lining your life up with purpose. Shout out to my man, darky folk another gym that drop. It's real, it's real, So thank you for joining us. How can the people contact you? How can they get information on everything that you got going on social media and all that?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, man, the website is a good energy worldwide. That's good energy worldwide dot com. If you're trying to book a truck, hit the trucking tab if you're trying to you know, we also got a dispatch service. You talk about multiple streams. I was able to diversify within my own industry. Not only do I have the trucking company also have a dispatch service where we actually booked loads for our clients right and then we also have the consultation so you can hit the logistics tab if you got a trucking company already and you want to you know, you know, you want somebody to book the loads for you so you can kind of be a little bit more passive. And if you are interested in our digital training portal, click the consultant tab. Everything is right there, all the information you can sign up right there. And look, my Instagram is alex Underscore Good Energy and Alex is a l i X not ex al i X underscore Good Energy. And look, I did something for y'all man. I appreciate y'all inviting me on here. So what I wanted to do, you know, for your followers, anybody that wants to sign up for this portal. I got a coupon code for y'all man. The portal is two thousand. You guys have saved two hundred and ninetynine dollars if you enter the coupon cold E y L two ninety nine E y L for Earning your Leisure. There it is E y L two ninety nine. You'll save two hundred and ninety nine dollars. Just put that in the coupon cold Yeah, thank you, you can thank us later.
Speaker 2: Thank us.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Shout out to everybody on patreon dot com.
Speaker 5: It's Patreon, backslash and Alesia proud to paid program. Like we said, we have five tiers. We got some new members every week. It seems like we getting new members. But big shout out to David. He joined at tier five, so we're gonna be in contact with him and Courtney as well. So shout out to YouTube for joining again. As Patreon dot com, backslash and a Leisia. Feel free to join at any til you'd like. We got bonus footage there. We got some outtakes that are pretty entertaining. So shout out to everybody that's on there now and our merch shout out to our everybody that's purchased the merch Askers of Valiability shirt or the podcast shirt, our tour shirts that are out there. Continue to support so we can do more things like this. We can travel to Atlanta, we can travel to Houston, we can travel Philly and DC and spread the word of financial literacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, shout out to Landa once again. It's like a second home for us, so you know we'd be out here. We will be back out here very soon. And don't forget to go to our events tap on our website and our very first workshop which is dedicated to first time real estate investors. First time real estate investors, everything you need to know about financing our money, loans, all that stuff. And also we'll be we'll be in a few other cities we got, We got DMV, we got Philly and a few other places that we got hit before the end.
Speaker 3: Of the year. So thank you guys for rocking with us.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yeah, my book Tip of the Week I almost forgot. My book Tip of the Week is a classic. It's called How to Win Friends and Influence People. It is great, great book. I read it like three times. Business is all about relationships. Life is all about relationships. So that's that's a key book with a lot of gyms. But you had you had something you wanted to do with.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to end the interview, you know with my life phrase, man, don't hope decide.
Speaker 2: We no longer hope. We just and we execute. Man.
Speaker 3: That's it. It is there.
Speaker 2: You have it.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, roka with us. We'll catch you next week. Peace.
Speaker 7: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need