Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama, Girl drama, girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl sharing for the right drama queens girl girl fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 3: Girl drama, Queens drama, Queens drama, Queens drama, drama, Queens drama, queens.
Speaker 4: Ladies and gentlemen. We still have came bother when us here. We're doing episode six fifteen, and unlike when we had her on the show during the strike, she's able to tell us exactly what she thinks about the storylines.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, honey, Thanks guys, thanks so much for having me. It's so fun to hang and to be able to actually chat about the show and stuff. So fun. Yeah, we're using code language last time.
Speaker 4: So it's great. Now you get to tell us what you think of all the love triangles and like who is a dick on set? All the fun.
Speaker 1: Ooh, all kinds of tea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was we change We wait. It aired January nineteenth, of two thousand and nine. Do you want to read the synopsis?
Speaker 1: Kate me sure? Synopsis of six fifteen We Change We Wait is Lucas and Julian's struggle to choose a director for their movie. Well, Peyton has mixed feelings about a surprise gift from Lucas, Brook struggles with issues about her relationship with Julian, and Mia finally feels inspired by Chase.
Speaker 4: Oh Love It.
Speaker 1: Directed by Les Butler, writer John A. Norris, dream team, good stuff.
Speaker 5: Dream team. We had such such good eggs on this one.
Speaker 4: I don't know. They had some interested lines in this episode.
Speaker 1: Yea, oh my god, there were some lines that you were like, this is this aired in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: This is exposition. Yeah, I just love at the top of the episode, like Peyton found out she was pregnant a couple episodes ago, and I call bebopping in the kitchen, like, hey, what's going on with you? I mean, besides having a pregnant fiance, so good, what's on your mind? That's how Jeff and I talk at home. I don't know about you guys and your partners, but oh.
Speaker 5: For sure, Yeah, that feels totally natural and exactly the way you'd speak to someone you live with.
Speaker 1: That's how I would drop the news. I think if I ever got pregnant to Brett, Like that would be how I would tell them the first time, you know, like just I'm gonna I'm gonna co opt that. Yeah, if that ever happens, you know, that's gonna be my uh, that's gonna be my go to so.
Speaker 4: Funny in your back pocket? How much of the show had you seen before you joined?
Speaker 1: Okay, real talk, I had never seen an episode when I auditioned because I was on the road, so I was like, I was in college and I just didn't watch that much TV. I was like, I was a an art school student, so I was like super busy doing that, and then I was doing a bunch of work, like you know, signing a record deal, doing all this, so I didn't ever for I knew the show obviously, but I'd never seen it when I auditioned, So probably another reason I wasn't nervous. I was like, okay, whatever, and then I got the part and I was like, oh man, this is season five of a show that like is it? Because then I started telling people like and people were like, dude, like that's the best show ever, Like what do you think is gonna happen with like Nathan and you know Lucas, and I was like, oh my god, I gotta like do some research. So I got like the DVDs on my tour bus. Yeah, and I and and I was like, okay, I'll watch like a couple of the first season to like get you know whatever, acquainted. And then I would be like in my bunk like three hours watching that. And my band was like, uh, I think that you like really like this show. And I was like, it's really easy to watch. Like I was like, I'm not gonna lie to you guys. There's some drama going on right now with like Nathan and Hayley, and I just gotta know what happened, so I'll see you guys in a few hours. So yeah, I had not seen any of it. But so I had watched the first four seasons when I started in season five, so I wasn't because I was like, I can't come in here like not knowing what's going on. That's like lame. You know, I do my homework, you know.
Speaker 4: Wait, So were you like a Brook Lucas fan or a Peyton Lucas fan. Where was your loyalty come?
Speaker 1: In?
Speaker 4: Goodness, because we're doing a docy dough in this episode, like everyone has switched boyfriends at this point. Do I think it's relevant? It's relevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a dope, right because Julian had dated Hayton right exactly, and Julian's working on the movie.
Speaker 4: And chase A dated Brook Baby, and chase A.
Speaker 1: Dated Brook, which MEA has a very hard time with, you know for sure. But I don't know that I had an allegiance necessarily. I think I was just like, you know, I kind of was like, Okay, I get it, like it's a you know, it's a vibe of I think I mean to be totally on. I was like, is there like, what's like, is there going to be a romantic thing for them? I'm gonna have to like what that's gonna be interesting?
Speaker 4: Why I have to kiss one of these people?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And guys, this is god, I don't even know whatever? Who cares. The first day that I came to set, I wasn't even working yet on set. I was just coming to see set in Wilmington. They dyed my hair black and I was coming to take a tour the set, and a certain person in leadership on the show told me. The first thing that person told me when I was visiting set. Was that my first scene and I hadn't gotten a script yet was going to be a makeout with a character named Max, the record store guy.
Speaker 4: So I was like, hell, what, yeah? That was?
Speaker 1: That was my welcome on this show.
Speaker 4: It's like bad enough to think that you're gonna have to kiss one of these boys that's like a heart throb on TV or whatever, but that's our And.
Speaker 1: I didn't know who that was. I didn't know who that was because I hadn't finished. I don't know why. I just maybe I hadn't seen the whole show yet. I hadn't seen but I did not know who this character was, and so I was like, Okay, that makes sense, like someone works at a record store or whatever.
Speaker 4: My character like someone our age.
Speaker 1: Yes. So I text my mom when I get back to the roof a few sweets and I'm like, I guess they'd like a makeout with like a guy named like some Max, like whatever. And my mom calls me and she's like, uh, who told you this? Because I think that's actually your boss man like yeah, And I was like, I swear to god, I was like, what have I gotten myself into? It was like and it it took like days, like there was never a follow up of like just kidding, right.
Speaker 4: No one clarified anything for it.
Speaker 1: No, it just I just kept getting scripts and I kept not having makeout scenes with Max the record store guy, and I was like, okay, oh, I think weren't gonna clear. But yeah, so that was first.
Speaker 4: Day maybe no, and like and why wouldn't you believe that because you're watching the box set of the show and everybody's kissing everybody, like Brook's hooking up with teachers and you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think I was less concerned about like who should Lucas be with, and I was more like, can I dodge Max the record store guy? Or is this simply yeah? Anyways, not to take it to a dark place. But that was the making out is is it? You know, that's a that's a that's a hallmark part of a of a teen drama show, making out, making out. It's great, you know, just just yeah. So anyways, it turned out a lot better Stephen Cloudy, much better.
Speaker 4: Pick Had you ever kissed anyone on TV? Like, had you had to do that for music videos? Yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Not on TV? I hadn't. No. At the time of this airing. I hadn't made I had a music video where I made a cuff fabulous stancer and yeah, sweet guy. Yeah he was in my music video for a song called ninety nine Times, but that was after this episode aired. So no, I had not you know, I had been to college, I had been on tour buses. I had made out with a few gentlemen, but I had not done it in front of people on TV and guys like it is one of those things where you don't think about how to look. Yeah, certainly not with any of my bosses. I never had, you know. I was like, oh, oh my god. But yeah, like a lot, a lot to process, a lot to unpack.
Speaker 5: There, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And there wasn't like an executive you could call the double check to be like, hey, just to be clear here, this is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like who's who's the person who's like And I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Wait, who's the woman that we could talk to?
Speaker 5: We're those women now?
Speaker 4: Yeah damn it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh thank god.
Speaker 4: Well, no, I'm glad that you got chased out of the deal because he indeed.
Speaker 1: Indeed, yeah, sweet, things things worked out. It was great.
Speaker 5: Okay, Wait, so I have a question for you. Because again to your point, every character on our show kissed. Every character on our show, much like being in any small town in real life for sure. Or by the way, I've even discovered some big ones. Torri and I were together this past weekend at a thing in Chicago, and she was filling in on all this tea there and I was like, wait, who did what with?
Speaker 4: Who's what what?
Speaker 5: And I just was like, God, sets are just they're just sets, man, they just can't.
Speaker 4: Held up them.
Speaker 1: It's the show, you know, like that, that's the show, for sure. I know someone needs to write that show like not a reality show.
Speaker 5: But I back in I guess would it have been season four? I guess it was season four And Brooke and Chase seeing each other.
Speaker 1: Before I got there, and Steven Coletti had.
Speaker 5: Never kissed anyone on camera, and was like, oh, terrified because you know, he had done a reality show but he hadn't Like it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Like a makeout vibe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know, and we had to like really act and it wasn't like, hey, kids, here's what you need to do tonight and go get drunk at this party and we'll film you and see what happens. It was like you're in this professional place and you have to know where to put your face so you don't block the other actor's light and do the thing. And it was so sweet to like be his teammate and friend and also be like, this is what it means when they say like hit a mark and this is how you cheat this, and you know, we got through it. Tongue, no tongue, We got through it together. So what was it like to sort of experience the inverse because he was your first on screen boyfriend, Like, did he get like what's the inside scoop? Did he give you tips? Was he helping you feel like not nervous about how to make something look real but also make it work for camera? Like do you remember any of that? Camaraderie so interesting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely camaraderie for sure. I think I just felt really comfortable with him because he just reminded me of like a buddy that you know, he reminded me of like the good guys in my band that I loved touring with. Like he was just fun. Stephen. We just hit it off and like we were friends and he was super cool and I loved his girlfriend at the time, you know, it was like we're just buddies. So that helped a lot. I don't remember, like I'm so like people are surprised because I like sing songs on stage for a living in front of a bunch of people. But I'm like a very introverted person, and I was even more so back then, Like I'm very much like and so I don't even know if I like felt comfortable asking like for tips. I was like, I gotta just I gotta just wing it and seem like I know what I'm doing, you know what I mean. So I was probably afraid to seem like I didn't know how, but I didn't. I was definitely the whole time, I'm like, am I smoshing my nose weird? Like this probably looks bad? Am I in his light? Like always was so like because that's a different that's a different thing that you have to learn. That's not really a thing, and you know, performing on stage, getting in other people's light. And so he helped me navigated, I think, just by being a good friend and like being a pro and you know, we did have good enough chemistry as buddies that like it wasn't weird to be like, oh, now we're making out and our characters are dating, you know what I mean. It was like always it always felt easy, which I think was like so by way of that, it helped me be like, oh cool this is you know. But then of course when you watch it back, you're like, oh my god, why did I meet that face?
Speaker 4: Or you know what I mean, like, oh my god, no, listen. What I like so much about the Mia Chase storyline is that so often we see guys on TV or in real life or on the internet now being like you have to wait a couple days to call a girl and you got to play a pool and you and there's a reward in being withholding and Chase does not withhold anything. He out of the gates is a puppy. And it's just like, God, she's so cool. I like her a lot, and I'm gonna tell her to her face and also just like pop in all the time.
Speaker 1: Totally, No, it was really cute. Yeah, I too, Oh my god. So just it's just absolutely it's so JV. You know, you're just like, come on, now, that's not how she's creel men are. Yeah. No, totally, it was a great. It was a very cute storyline and you know, uh, that was that was fun because that was another thing like with my being my first acting job, I was like, what if my character's in soul like that, then you just have to do that and you have to own that and play that and convey that, right, you know. But it was nice that it was a cute storyline, you know, and they liked each other and that it you know, that we kind of sold it.
Speaker 4: That was cool. How much did you know going in, Like what did they tell you was gonna be your arc?
Speaker 1: I mean making out with Max the record store.
Speaker 4: Guy was the honey, no, my skin is.
Speaker 1: Crawling, right, I know. I'm sorry. So I should have like come with a trigger warning, especially for y'all because I know you just know this, like oh my god.
Speaker 4: No, we lived it, babe, and it was like if we're just big enough bitches, it'll stop. And no, it just like got passed down.
Speaker 1: There was no force that could have Yeah, but no, you don't know anything. I don't know about maybe. I mean, you guys were like the stars of the show, so I was like, maybe there's like a bit of a you know, sort of a preview or like a story arc. I had no idea what was going to happen with my character until I got the script under my door at the Hilton and no, okay, Yeah, so I figured I was like, oh, wow, okay, I guess it's just gonna we're just seeing what happens here. And so every time I was hired to to do another episode because I think it was supposed to be a one episode and then it was supposed to be like a four episode arc, and then I just kept Yeah, I was so grateful to be there, you know, despite all the crazy shit going on. But but yeah, so it was like every time, every every week it is a surprise and you're like, like, who knows, you know, but really fun surprise to have that.
Speaker 4: Were you a basketball fan going into this, because that's how this episode kicks off. We got a lot of Nathan Scott basketball. Did you go well, no, you said you went to art school. You didn't go to a sports school.
Speaker 1: No, we weren't that good at sports. I went to Miami of Ohio, which is it's a great school, but it's you know, I think, like I think we were good at hockey or something, but nothing really basketball. Though I was a fan, because I mean, this was kind of after the show ended that the Cavs won, you know, the NBA Finals or whatever. But I'm from Cleveland and so I've always been a Cavs fan, Lebron, you know, all that good stuff. So but I'm not like, I mean, my husband would tell you, you know that, he's like, you care when it's high stakes, when it's like you know, he's like, you are not a fan who's there from the beginning, which is which is probably my husband's an athlete, so he's like he tells it like it is. He's like, you know, but I'm I'm I like basketball. It's fun, it's fast paced. Like I like that aspect of it a lot. And I thought it was cool that it was such a big part of the show, Like it was kind of interesting to have that, you know, be a be a factor.
Speaker 4: What's your husband, the athlete think of this episode, because you know, seeing Nathan sitting in the bench in this junior league is difficult to stomach because we all know, we all know he's the star.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a star.
Speaker 4: Yes, how authentic was that for your husband? He?
Speaker 1: I mean, my husband didn't play basketball. He played lacrosse in football, he played professional lacrosse and he I mean, I think he started every game in college, so it was it was not his personal experience to be benched. But he understands the.
Speaker 5: He understands how hard it is. You know what I liked about it, and I wonder what Brett would think about it, is like I liked that you have because obviously we're all six years in, like we're die hard Nathan Scott fans, and really I like that we have this guy exactly as you said, Hill, who we know is so good, like we know he can go the distance, and here he is really advocating for team above individual, and he's doing it, you know, with his teammates, with his coaches, and he's also doing it with his kid and him talking to Jamie Scott about how you have to have heart, how you have to prioritize your team. You win as a team, you lose as a team. I was like, this is a really good dad speech man. And yeah, I wonder like does that stuff get to your husband at all? Or is he just like, well, yeah, duh, that's how we win. Like is it just us who find it sappy and sweet or did he like it.
Speaker 1: No, he for sure does. My husband guys at movies way more than I do. He is like a very yeah, and he's like the team over individual all day long. Like he's he's like, you know, very much somebody in general, I think in life, Like I think that's he's a great leader, you know, in his work environment and stuff like, he's he's very much somebody who's about the collective and the whole. And so it was fun because this was the first time we've ever watched the show together. When we were rewatching the episode and he was like, you know that he said exact same thing. He was like, it's so cool that they like wrote that message in and you're right, it's a powerful one to you know, like illustrate how just because somebody's the star and they're not being appreciated for how great they are yet like instead of sort of shining light on that and him pouting about not being you know, viewed as the star yet he talks about the you know, how how important the team is and talks to his kid and it's great. It's a life message. You know. It was cool.
Speaker 5: I had a sort of out of body moment watching this because I knew James Vanderbeek was coming, I just didn't remember, like, was it this week? Was it next week? And for my high school college teenage brain that was reared on Dawson's Creek to have freakin Vanderbeek come in and play like a spoof of an artist and by the way, like the literal star of that show, like came to just play with us and visit his old friends and the crew who'd worked on their show and then our show. And you know, he walked in as a guest star and had no ego about it, like he really he committed so hard. He made me laugh so loud, and I'm realizing in real time as you talk about your husband's mentality and how we see it reflect in Nathan, I'm like, oh my god, that's that's kind of like what Vanderbeek did for us a miss, Like he just came to be part of the team.
Speaker 4: Don't take yourself seriously kids obsessed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a gem, like so so nice, and I remember thinking I was like, Wow, Okay, this guy's like a huge star. This is so cool that it was just really a masterclass in like how did like he just really enjoyed the craft, he enjoyed the people. This was his second home from you know, working there forever, and like you said, the crew and so much of like the sets and stuff. It was just really cool to see that because you do see people who in music, in entertainment who like take themselves way too seriously. It was just awesome to see somebody like him at his level just come in and be like have fun and he asked me like all kinds of questions about myself. Was just such a nice human being and it was really it was. It was super super cool to see that.
Speaker 4: Well said a good tone for us, like think about it. There were so many people that had come off of teen or kid TV shows where they were like, I never want to speak about that again. I'm a different artist now, like I'm changing my name to you know, like I'm a grown up now and too cool. They were too cool, And we had Vanderbeek come on and really set the example of like, now you don't shit on the thing that made you. Don't do that, that's gross. And then when I got to work with Tiffany Theesen on White Collar, she also was like, uhh, we don't talk about the thing that made you you appreciate it forever. And so now we go back every year and do these conventions in Wilmington, and the going back was modeled for us. It looked exciting from where we were sitting, like, oh my god, he comes in here like a king and is so benevolent and lovely, like just a fun guy and also making so much fun of himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah just like not yeah, like being that. There's just such a confidence in that and such a sort of authenticity there that was just such an exhale, Like he was just such like an exhale to have around. It was like, God, the god dude. How cool.
Speaker 5: Also, I squealed at him stealing Lucas's explanation of his passion for this movie to win it from Julian's dad at the end, like you guys, because because Vanderbeek did it in a way where I was just like you dirty around in a scoundrel. And also you're acting face off in this scene because you watched him make the decision. And then the more he spoke, the more into his own story he got, even though he's a thief. I loved it.
Speaker 1: It was so good. It was so well done right, Like I loved that so much too. It's it's true, he really he delivered that so so well where you're like, no, that wasn't exactly what Lucas said robatim.
Speaker 4: But I feel like there was code in this episode because in the scene where they're meeting with like the British director at the beginning, and the director's like, this needs to be eight Mile. When One Tree Hill was originally written, that was the title that was used in the pitch that was like, this is going to be the TV show version of eight Mile, and then it turned into One Trehill, which is hilarious story. Yeah, it was supposed to be so much edgier and dark and like yeah, and so to cite that six years later and be like, oh, yeah, we're doing eight Mile out here. Okay, good story, We're.
Speaker 5: Like, huh, what do you what do you? What do you get in?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 4: Was that the junkyard where we did the teen People photoshoot?
Speaker 5: It might have been, but I was like, why is this. Why is the director who's citing eight Mile using like a phony sort of British but not really accent and wearing bonttoglasses, Like I just didn't understand we were aiming at, you know, especially because One Tree Hill is obviously the title of a U two song that our boss said for nine years he did not take from a U two song, but like, obviously he did, because every episode of our show was named a song title or a song. So like, I'm like, well, the pilot script was called Ravens and then it became One Tree Hill, so it feels like it's a song title. And now you've got this guy directing the movie about it, who's wearing like Bono Glass.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's argie man.
Speaker 5: I really wanted to understand what those Easter eggs were, but I don't think they were very well done. Yeah, maybe that's just because I don't like the person who did that.
Speaker 4: We have any of us done a movie with the director like this though, they're all so douchey, and most characters I know are the most introverted, like quiet weirdo. I don't know any directors that are like out there like that.
Speaker 5: No, I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I'm sure they exist, but yeah, it seems like one of those cliches. Like there's a lot of music business A and R guy cliches or like pre sir cliches where you're like, I mean, maybe like one or two of them are like though most of them are just like nice guys who like have two kids and like it. You know, it's not like some skeazy business guy. Like I felt like it was the director version of that, where you're like, is this actually a thing?
Speaker 4: Well, the whole search for a director really felt like a stretched out storyline to me, because the easy answer to tell Lucas's story would be to.
Speaker 5: Hire a woman, hire a woman, hello, because the whole book is about the women.
Speaker 4: They didn't even interview one lady, no one.
Speaker 1: No, oh God.
Speaker 4: When you hear them talk about all the different options, you're like, this guy did this, and this guy did an incest movie with sock puppets, and this guy, this guy, this guy, the easy layup would be to hire a way very much. So, moral of the story. Do we like Lucas and Julian together? Did we like that? Comm?
Speaker 5: I really do?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're brotherly in a way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he really does. He pointed that Hillary pointed this out a few episodes ago. Kate that like, there was a while where people were calling Julian the third.
Speaker 1: Scott oh like fans or yeah.
Speaker 5: And I had forgotten about this, but it there really is this interesting balance to him of these two brothers, and it's I think one of the things that's really nice is we got to see the actual brotherhood of Nathan and Lucas all through high school, especially come up on the basketball court, and it was the sports that bonded them. But you know, Lucas is our resident artist, and it's so cool to see him have like a comrade in art where they can be creative and talk about the scenes and talk about the energy. And I don't know, maybe I just like it because we're geeky artists, but it's it's kind of sweet to see that represented on camera.
Speaker 1: I liked that too. I thought it was cool to sort of see the like the push pull of them trying to collaborate on this and sort of make decisions together even when they didn't always agree, or like Julian's dad was like financing stuff and so he was like, I get that you don't like this, but you know, we have to consider this. And that's that's how a lot of collaboration is. You know. I thought they conveyed that really well together.
Speaker 4: I felt like poor Austin was being punished in this episode because your set, your sexy kiss with him last episode was too handsome. It was it was too good looking, and they're like, how can we bring the good looking down a notch? I know, let's put him in this stupid hat. And really it.
Speaker 1: Was so weird.
Speaker 4: He was being punished for being too hot. That's what they do. It's like, you flew too close to the sun, young man. Now we're gonna have to make you look like an idiot.
Speaker 5: Well they have to pay. Really, poor Austin, it gets so much worse for him because, like I mean, were there like in later season till after you leave, Like they do a running joke for episodes about how his character can't high five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it.
Speaker 5: It is just the weirdest, dumbest. We'll have to have him back on later to kind of talk about it, because they really they put that poor boy through the wringer. But I will say, our chemistry is so cute.
Speaker 4: Oh God, and I love again.
Speaker 5: We talked about this a little bit last time, but I love there's something so pure about Chase and Mia and I finally feel like we're seeing Brooke have that kind of like pure sweet chemistry. And there's something about Sam being in the mix, like the kid walking in on the pseudo parents instead of the other way around. Like it's all just so fun and it gives it. I think it's a really smart device that Johnny Norris did as the writer, Like it gives us this puppy love kind of air, even though especially Brooke has been through the relationship.
Speaker 6: Ringer and I, I don't I don't.
Speaker 5: Think I caught onto it then. I just thought it was funny. But now really seeing it as a viewer and a producer, I'm like, oh my god, that is a sweet flip that I don't know. It just makes it feel so so like genuinely sweet to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a heartbreaking little exchange with you guys. The star of this episode. The absolute standout of this episode is the blouse that Brooke is wearing.
Speaker 5: That white frilly browse.
Speaker 4: The frillian I mean, what were we saying in your Q and a episode about the soft female era? Just that like.
Speaker 5: Guitar girl, that blow.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about boys. I just want to talk about blow.
Speaker 5: You like the neck? You like the neck? Ruffles and then the bear shoulders.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, fabulous.
Speaker 1: You weren't so well like it was great. Yeah, it was very timeless, like it didn't feel like we filmed this in two thousand and eight, you know, like it felt like I was like, I would wear that tomorrow. It was great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some of the things that particularly Brooke wears are very dated and horrible. That blouse, I got mad at it.
Speaker 1: Meaning 's hot topic wardrobe like, and again that was the that was supposed to be the mood. But it was giving my space. It was giving the whole thing, you know, MySpace bangs. It was giving my space.
Speaker 5: It was like, oh my god, oh yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 4: Though the long beaberdime, I loved it. Man. I still can only part my hair to the side. I'll never be able to part it down the middle. I can't do it.
Speaker 1: Get why look great though? It's so pretty.
Speaker 4: Elder emo you guys. Yeah, the hot death listen. I like that. We had representation, we had like high end fashion, we did, we had hot topic.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was, yes, a whole gamut. The blouse was incredible and it was the kind of thing that you wear when you are falling in love. This isn't like a casual Will Tuesday outfit. This is a I'm having a romantic narrative right now. I need to look adorable. You did look adorable so that when if and when he comes by, I'm like.
Speaker 6: Oh, this old thing, you're on your shoulder, just in case, it's very soft.
Speaker 5: I do really like too that to your point, like, we keep doing this juxtaposition, and there is something about Lucas's book being the sort of thread woven through all of this. You see this grown up version of Brook trying to be a mom, trying to she says, set a good example. And then the whole device is like giving a boy a letterman jacket. It is just I keep coming back to sweet. But it's like there's an innocence to it, and Brooke Davis has not known a lot of innocence in her life. And I don't know, it's really weird for me in a good way to watch it from this age and from where we all are as this group of friends who are grown ups, and to peer back and go, oh wow, the sort of innocence and excitement and even the slow pace of it for her feels really sweet and refreshing. It's moments like this where I realize that I'm like, I loved bringing her to life, but I also feel like she's like a sibling of mine or something. I'm like, Oh, I'm just so happy for her. I'm very protective of.
Speaker 1: Her for sure. Yeah, it was very sweet.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of undercover or just kind of alluded to innocence in this episode though, because Brooke is like wanting Brook's being very young with Austin not Austin Julian in a way that feels like a sophomore in high school where it's like we're kissing, but I'm not gonna let you go into my room, and like, also we could get caught, you know, like there's an innocence there. And then he when she's like we should slow this down, has a very fifteen year old boy reaction, and it gave me the sense that he wasn't as experienced as he looks, right, Like he totally everyone's talking about the scoundrel grin he broke up with Peyton, and we dispel that mythology in this episode the thing right, and then then Miia makes a comment this episode too about Chase is like so I'm gonna be your first, like listening to her song. Yeah, and we're like, wait, is Mia a virgin two? Like for a show that had all teenagers having sex in the first few seasons, now we're getting all of this stunted adolescent energy in our twenties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, caught me off part. I loved that. And when you said that, Kate, you were like, we'll see. I was like, oh, because she's about to play him the song, so she's talking about someone else and it is really or is she? But it's really interesting because the almost repeat adolescence you even see with Nathan's storyline with Dan so many times in my notes for this episode in all caps, I'm like, my heart, why do I like him? Why do I like Dan? With Jamie like every time I see Dan Scott on camera in this episode, he makes me feel very emotional. And at the end of Nathan's game, when no one else is around and nobody sees it, he said zero points, zero whatever one assist best stats of the night and then has a real heart to heart to tell him I am so proud of you and he means it. It made me cry. I was like, I don't understand what's happening here, And in a way, you're seeing Nathan, even if it's just for a moment or a scene, you see him have the dad he always needs and never got as a kid. So even the boys are having this experience.
Speaker 4: We're all fifteen years old inside you guys, that's what's done.
Speaker 1: We are. Let's be honest, we totally are. Yeah, you're so right. So if that was so, it was really so much heart in that, And I love that he took Dan's like comments to heart and like he was working on you know, like like do watching film, looking at the playbook and like you know, calling Jamie like, well, I want to be ready.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It was like it was really cool for Dan to have like redeeming moments like that. And Paul does such a good job with conveying that because I had a like someone helping me with sides once who said, like a coach who was like, even if you're playing someone who's like the bad girl or the bad guy like you, your job is to find ways to make them human and to make people root for you even when you're terrible. And like Paul did that so well with Dan in this episode, Like in general, but that scene was really, really really sweet.
Speaker 4: Why is Dan Scott babysitting Jamie? Like, I get babysitters are hard to find, but like there are people who I wouldn't let watch my kids for way.
Speaker 5: Less, you know, like, oh you mean murderers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like, you know, they said a dumb thing once. I don't want them babysitting my kids. Yeah, Dan Scott went to.
Speaker 1: His brother, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he wasn't in like a like a car accident and somebody died. God for a baby, But it's like this man shot his sibling. He's on parole, and weirdly, their dynamic, like actual Paul and actual Jackson's dynamic together, is so sweet that I get why the writers wanted more of it. But I am wondering how Nathan and Haley have suspended disbelief enough to allow said murderer to be the person who takes their kid out for ice.
Speaker 1: A bit of a stretch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is Haley doing?
Speaker 1: Is she?
Speaker 4: Like what is happening?
Speaker 5: They don't know?
Speaker 4: Once you get pregnant, because look, Peyton doesn't have anything to do either, you know, like, once you get pregnant on this show, that's it you are. It's over, You're locked up, done, You're just you're just sitting around waiting to deliver a quip.
Speaker 5: They just don't know what to do with you.
Speaker 4: Oh God, almighty, letting murderers, baby sitting your kids. Yeah, it's fine, you can have them. You guys are going down to the river. That seems safe. Yeah, totally, it'll be fine. We're all fifteen inside, Haley was being fifteen. That's true, just.
Speaker 1: Like it's his grandpa. No, what am.
Speaker 5: I gonna do? No, everybody deserves a second chance.
Speaker 4: Okay, So but wait, is Mia a virgin? Do we ever establish that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that Mia, because that's a that's a storyline, that whole situation Mia ends up. There was a lot of obsession over that, whether or not that was a thing in real life, which is a whole, full story for a whole on their episode. But I'm sorry, I like, I'm just like dropping bombs. Oh babe.
Speaker 4: We've spent years going into the things she did, you know, and we never want to force anyone into it. Oh no, do you feel like the real life stuff just bled over entirely into this for you?
Speaker 1: Well? I feel like it was weird because I think what happens sometimes when some things are real, like the songs are my songs, you know, and me, uh, you know, looks enough like me, you know, like her hair and makeup was a little different, and her wardrobe was different than mine on tour. But like things start to blend, and so people assume that if something's happening in the story, that that means it's also true in real life. And so I thought the Mia, Yeah, Mia is a virgin and she is obsessive later in I think it's later in the show over the fact that Chase lost his virginia to brook and she's like, oh my god, like Brooks so pretty and blah blah blah, like oh, I'm so and I think that's like a scene coming up. And then and then I think she loses a virginia to Chase, perhaps in a plane because he's a pilot. And it's a very cute, like, you know, it's a cute storyline, a very kind of pure like sort of you know romance that follows the same trajectory that's set up in this episode. But there was like I felt like I had to constantly be like that's not me as well, like but I felt a bit like there were certain folks or maybe one what's the singular of folks, I don't know who really wanted that to be sort of like who asked me many man, many times in many circumstances if that was the case in real life. And I was like, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but like, I have spent the last year living on a tour bus and I went to college, Like, we don't need to be obsessing over it's women's virginity is a big theme I think sometimes. And it wasn't just our show either though. It was a lot of those shows in the early two thousands or movies like using Virginity, you know, And it's like it was treated well in the storyline of the show. But it was funny that in parallel, I was like, we don't need to.
Speaker 5: We don't need for this to become the focus of everything.
Speaker 4: No, we watched Lisa Goldstein just do the Millie storyline where she's a virgin and loses it like in a super you know, messy way. And so it is weird when a man is telling stories about very female experiences because they want to feel some ownership over it. That maybe off screen as well, and it's like, Oh, I'm not going to fee you my truth so that you can come up with a story that's been weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Great, it's like this character, that's great, that that's her story, and I think that's really sweet, and you know, but it's like, let's slow down. Doesn't mean it's like gotta be we don't need to be doing like a deep dond sexual history as a human being.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's really actually not workplace conversation at all, not really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think what's really interesting about like what you're saying, kay, And that whole dynamic was for all of us, the way it seemed like they really wanted to create a blurry line between sure reality and fiction, and how that really ramped up in later years. I mean, god, I remember, like you know, I went to all girls school from seventh grade till I graduated. I did three years of co ed college, and it was really hard for me when the show first started, like being out in the world and the way people would like talk to me and the way men would talk to me. I was like, Oh, you guys think I'm promiscuous because Brooke Davis is promising all right, it changed the way men would like speak to me and approach me in public once our show was on, like even in Wilmington, because for the first couple of months we were there, our show wasn't on the air, and everything was real like sweet and broke, you know, the gals. And then when our show started to air, the way everyone would talk to me was really different. And I only share that to say, like, obviously the opposite end of circumstance in the way our characters were being portrayed, but like, oh my god, I get how bizarre it is when everyone starts talking to you as though your body is like their business or knowledge. It's so gross. And I think it's even grosser to sit with the fact that, you know, the conversations you were subjected to, like the in that men harp on women's virginity is because they think it's a thing they get to win, instead of I think we choose rise to shift for ourselves. With someone we pick, they think like I'm gonna get it, and it's like it wasn't yours to get boom. You know, it's so gross. And the fact that you had to deal with that from your boss, our boss who was married who right, who pretends like he was everybody's big brother figure and it's like, no, bro, we were all just grossed out by you.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you're just trying to survive and we're all just like what's going on?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So what he does is he puts the cute boys in stupid hats so that when he comes to set, there's no competition.
Speaker 5: It's like, oh, all the girls are looking at this guy. I'm gonna make him dress up like a golfer from the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 1: Now you're like, it's gonna take more than a hat, honey.
Speaker 4: He makes Steven do anything stupid.
Speaker 1: Well, he made him a really big that bartender, like he was a terrible bartending and stuff.
Speaker 5: Like he just can't make a drink.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a gelding that all the boys went through, yep, right where it was like, we're gonna have to make you a dork. There's a screw loose somewhere around.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna emasculate you in one way or the other. It's like, well, sir, maybe if you weren't wearing leather pants with a high up the crotch, you wouldn't be emasculated, but that was your choice.
Speaker 1: That was your choice, and that's why chose your choice. It's not working the way you think it is.
Speaker 5: You know what I want to end on, because you know I would love to set our boss on fire all day. But there was, despite that stupid hat, so much sweet energy for Julian and for me and Chase and Nathan and Haley and even with Dan. I never thought i'd say it, even Dan, that's what you want to end on you guys, because again you made this point that we're all having a second adolescent. Since the conversation between the two of you in Lucas's room is so sweet. I loved it so much because you managed to say I don't want this in a way that wasn't critical at all. Like what I realized I was watching was Peyton Sawyer. I was watching my on screen best friend, who's been one of my best friends in the world for two decades, literally sit down and choose her own dream come true. Like you said to him. I've always pictured myself wearing Keith's ring, and you just were like, that's what I want. It's what I've wanted since high school. I want what I want with you and I want it forever, and I cried. I was like, oh my god, this is so sweet, Like I really really loved it. I loved it so much. I'm like I'm feeling very emo even now. It was perfect.
Speaker 4: I liked the combo of finding out the truth about Julian that he didn't go to Sundayance, he didn't some other girl, and it not shaking Peyton's reality in the least. Like it not for one second. Is she like, maybe I messed up with Julian like it. No, Her concern is, oh, oh, I gotta go tell my best friend because she likes him. I'm gonna stay on my path. And seeing Peyton stay on her path is something that I like because as a woman who in real life has really just laid down some hard decisions and been like I'm gonna stick with this, I like seeing a young person know their truth and be like, let's just do it. So. I remember filming that with Chad. I remember filming with him out at the water where our characters first met, and that was like a really big moment for he and I personally, because that pilot was scary, Like I got yelled at on the pilot. Yeah, because there was an alligator and I got really scared and I couldn't remember my lines, and like I mean fair, it was it was like a one of those like it was over stimulation and so in the moment when we filmed there originally it was really like stressful, and so we got to go back almost six years later as grown ups in a really low stress, really celebratory way, and so that was that was nice. And I like I just like content, Brook and Peyton like not Brook and Payton, I like, well, I like them content too. I like content. Who's the love story? I like Content? Peyton and Lucas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do too. It's so sweet. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Just happiness feels good.
Speaker 5: Happiness looks good on everyone. Everyone deserves it.
Speaker 4: And now we have mea to write songs about our happiness.
Speaker 7: We sure do, baby, Yes, happy songs.
Speaker 5: We have a fan question for you from Maddie. Well, we know from our wonderful Q and A episode with you that it's not Pool, but she wants to know what your favorite hobby actually is.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. No, unfortunately is not Pool. My favorite hobby is it's kind of like part of my work too. But it's art like painting, painting and drawing and stuff like I that was kind of my first love yeah, as a kid, and it's just something that like quiets my mind. Like I just love it so much, do it all day long?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're really good at it. Yeah, it's nice to have a hobby that you're like great at.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's easier for somebody to become a hobby? Right, Like if you're bad, you know, if you're like terrible at something. I also like, I mean French. Learning French has been like a huge hoby for me. And you can't be good at that, right, you know, it takes forever to be good at that. So languages are like something that fascinates me too. But it's a different thing getting to like a hobby where you're not good at it a first. It's like humbling to say the least.
Speaker 5: I want to be as disciplined as you. I For the last like five years, I keep saying my year's resolution this year is to relearn French, and every year I go that just that escaped me. But maybe maybe this year, maybe next year, maybe never.
Speaker 4: What's your hobby?
Speaker 5: So mine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your hobby?
Speaker 5: Oh? I don't know. Probably like democratic volunteering. Really, you're going to make sure we don't lose the right to vote.
Speaker 4: Writing for women's rights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like making way more of a difference than me is speaking in French.
Speaker 4: I just agree because if we.
Speaker 5: All have to move out of America because you know, women have no rights here, we're going to need to go with you to France. So well, dude, we'll get.
Speaker 4: There one way or another. Indeed, for sure, mind sets in between you guys. I am throwing the spring flag our school ptso. So it's a little bit of advocacy and a little bit of art. So if anyone wants to come and help me make big, huge paper flowers, that's where we're at right now, like tissue paper.
Speaker 5: You are the best art mom, Like you're the pta mom I always wanted and that I hope to be someday.
Speaker 4: It's true. It's just chaos constantly. I love chaos. All right, let's spin a wheel, baby, Kate. You know how this works.
Speaker 5: Most don't know, you, guys. We do superlatives every week. The most likely to like in a yearbook, but we do it with this little wheel.
Speaker 1: Okay, the winner most likely to respond to the Instagram haters ooh.
Speaker 4: Oh, because you have to pick a character from the show, but then like a real life friend of ours from the show character and real life, I mean, Sophia will throw down. She will with venom.
Speaker 5: I don't like when people are mean to my friends on the internet. I don't like her.
Speaker 1: You defend Like one of my core memories one of the first couple of weeks that I was in Wilmington, I didn't know anyone, and I was so overwhelmed and just like, not intimidated by you guys, but just by the experience. We were all at the bar, one of the bars on Front Street, and someone stole my clutch, and I mean, we hardly knew each other, so and you ran up to the girl and said, hey, that's my friend's purse and you're not gonna steal it.
Speaker 8: And I was like, holy shit, that is the nicest thing anyone's done for me. It made suck, It made me feel so like welcome, and I was just like, wow, thank you so much, like this girl who's been here for years and already has like her friend group and anyways, so yes, I think you are very fiercely defensive of your friends.
Speaker 4: In a way that I admire very much, sweet soul, You're dangerous.
Speaker 5: I kind of can't help it. And then it's funny because my friends will be like, why don't you stand up for yourself like that? And I'm like, shut up, No, that's my shut up. What do you mean? And that's the thing, like we all do it for each other. And I think maybe that's why it's so special.
Speaker 4: Who on the show, what character is like? Not today, I.
Speaker 5: Weirdly feel like I don't know why I'm picturing a scene in my head of like Bevin in Facebook group chats, just like responding to people in the best ways, like because her character had the best one liners. Yes, I feel like TV Bevin would be the most hilarious, like clapback Queen of the Internet.
Speaker 2: She would.
Speaker 4: But I like that you limited it to Facebook, like because it.
Speaker 5: Can't be like so current, right, it's got to have a joke built in.
Speaker 4: No moms are on Facebook. That is the mom site of choice, and that's how we organize that shit. Yeah, I listen. I love Facebook. I'm out here, you just looking up people I used to know and cousege I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it's made for you know, like all this new stuff like marketplace, like okay, sure, sure, sure, it's made for like keeping tabs on people from the past and like sniffing out bullshit.
Speaker 4: She's just like, yes, I'm gonna do a little homework today, Kate. We love having you stay forever.
Speaker 1: Oh you guys, it's so fun to see you. Thanks so much for having me back. I will any any any time. It's so wonderful to see you guys, and so fun to talk about the show.
Speaker 5: Finally, it's so wonderful.
Speaker 4: If you need backup dancers for your music videos with girls, you know who to call.
Speaker 1: Always you guys. Honestly, your future goes backup dancers. We are we are always hiring and you guys don't even have to audition, like immediate hire.
Speaker 5: I'm so ready.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, boom, we could ab oh we should be backup dancer.
Speaker 1: Ghosts so cool just.
Speaker 5: Saying Halloween Show. We're ready, We're ready to go. All right, friends, this has been so much fun. We will see you back here next week for season six, episode sixteen. Screenwriters Blues. I have a hunch Vanderbeek might be a real pain in the ass to our boys. And I can't wait to see him do it.
Speaker 4: Love it.
Speaker 5: For you next week, kuties.
Speaker 4: Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot.
Speaker 4: H or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time.
Speaker 2: We all about that high school drama. Girl Drama, Girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic Girl Shared for the Right Drama Queens, My Up Girl.
Speaker 4: Fashion Mitch, You'll tough. You could sit with us.
Speaker 3: Girl Drama, Queens, Drama, Queas, Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama Queens