Speaker 1: What's going on? Everybody. Welcome into Fantasy Pros. This is the Fantasy Baseball Podcast. I'm your host, Joe Rico, and today we're gonna take a look into statcast highlights. Some guys at the top of leaderboards, some names that you might not expect to see a top of leaderboards, some maybe you will. But we're going to go through seven key statistics, both for hitters and pitchers today and I am joined by a phenomenal guest, a dear old friend from the fantasy space, Eric Cross. You can find him as the lead MLB writer at Rotoballer. He hosts the tool Shed podcast and he was also the twenty twenty one FSWA Baseball Writer of the Year. Eric. Great to have you on the show. I think this first time I've had you on the Fantasy Pros podcast. We've obviously done a lot of shows over the years, but first time on this network. Great to have you on. My friend. How you been doing, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And doing great, Joe, hopefully you're doing great as well. I know you guys have been dealing with some some crazy stuff up there over the last few weeks. But yeah, I mean we were just talking before we hit record. It's been a crazy few weeks for all of us. I feel it's weird to think that we're almost into August now and summer's already you know, over half over, and then baseball seasons and like the you know, the final third, final stretch run here. But yeah, I'm really excited to hop on and it's always good talking with you and dig into some stack cast.
Speaker 1: Eric is one of the one of the absolute best. More known for the prospect space, you should follow him at Aeric Cross MLB. I still do Airic Cross zero four in my head. The old Eric Cross MLB is where you can follow him phenomenal prospect and dynasty work. Today we're going to go a little bit more on the redraft sphere, but also we probably get some dynasty takes as well, knowing Eric and his expertise, and we're going to start off today looking at the heading side, and we're going to start with the average exit velocity leader board. A lot of names that you would expect at the top O'Neil Cruz ninety six miles an hour, James Wood ninety five point two, Jordan Alvarez ninety four point six, Ellie Della Cruz, Aaron Judge. Those names are all expected to be at the top of these leader boards, and then we get into some interesting names as we continue to go down. Jordan Walker, Una Taka Murakami, Jack Cagleon, Dominic can Zone also on the top of the leaderboard. Looking at the top fifteen names here, Eric is average exit velocity is something that you pay a lot of attention to in your analysis, and also looking at this list of names, who are the guys that really stand out to you that you'd like to break down today. Yeah, no, I definitely.
Speaker 3: Pay attention to it.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't think it's you know, the be all end all, so to speak, because obviously there's a lot more that goes into, you know, evaluating a player's powers, you know, looking at obviously hard hit rate, barrel rate, some bad at ball angles as well, which actually kind of ties into the name that immediately stood out to me, and you know, he's in the midst of having a breakout year.
Speaker 3: Finally, Jordan Walker.
Speaker 2: It feels like he's been around forever and he's still only twenty four years old, which is just crazy to think about.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he's just.
Speaker 2: Near in the top of every every leaderboard that has to do with just hitting the ball hard.
Speaker 3: He's either at the top or near the top. You know.
Speaker 2: I think average TV's actually the one he ranks the highest and ninety eighth percentile at ninety three point nine miles an hour. But it's it's been really fun to watch his kind of breakout season this year. I mean, I mean, especially those of us that kind of followed him through you know, the prospect ranks and when he was drafted, like there's always a lot of hype, and he was a very highly ranked prospect and then he had that you know, two homer game and we were down there at First Pitch, Florida. That's in spring training, and the hype only grew and then unfortunately hasn't only gone so well up until this year. But I mean just looking at how hard he's hitting the ball and then tying it in with the better batted ball angles he has this year. The air rate is up, you know, the pole rate is up, pole air rate as well, just really allowing him to kind of take advantage of the elite root he's always had, Like he's always hit the ball hard. I mean last year it was ninety two point three miles an hours, like he's always hit the ball hard, it's just he's hitting the ball hard at better angles to kind of maximize that power. And then he hit the ball over the fence much more consistently. So I think there was some skepticism earlier in the year, like, oh, wait, you know it's going to fall off, He'll revert back to the old Walker. But hey, we're about the I think, pushing the two third mark of the season here, so and he's on about like what a thirty five you know, Homer twenty two steel pace with a twoity nine average. So yeah, I'm I think at this point we can start saying that, you know, the breakout for Walker is legit, and you know this, you know this elite versions here to stay.
Speaker 1: Is this something I guess you kind of answered it. So heading into next year, assuming Walker finishes out as like a second round first round value, is that where he will end up being ranked when it comes to redraft, startup dynasty leagues? Is this a guy that you think is worthy of a first round pick going forward, regardless of format.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I would say first round.
Speaker 2: I think there's just so many other names that are in consideration that, I think people will feel a little bit safer about taking you know, like Junior, Cameronaro, Nick Kurtz, guys like that, and then obviously all you other studs that are already up there and have been for a couple of years now. But I think second round, like you know, early to the mid part of the second round, so like in the fifteen teamer, I can see the ADP being in the vicinity of like, you know, nineteen to twenty two, somewhere in that range kind of the middle part of that round. You know, maybe bumped up a few spots in a dynasty format because of the age and you know, the long term projection. But you know, I feel confident that, you know, in those gains that he's had this year, I mean, it can always revert back. I mean, I think vladimirker Road Junior. I hate to bring him up, but he's like a perfect you know, you know, you know case right where he still hits small hard, but now the angle has halping been great this year and it's kind of gone back down in the terms of you know, home runs. So yeah, it's really exciting, but you know, hopefully he can keep these sticking going for By, I can see, I can see second round long term for him.
Speaker 1: I would do unspeakable things to have vladimirker Ro Junior with an eleven degree launch angle and hitting the ball in the air more. I hope that it comes eventually, doesn't look like it's coming imminently. I agree that the talent is there for Vlatty to hit you. The forty homers give you the thirty five plus MVP type of season. I mean, he had an MVP type of season in twenty one and then had another one in twenty four. But the last year in particular has been awful for Vlatty. But Jordan Walker, on a brighter note, has just been phenomenal. If anybody picked him up at the end of you know, the first couple of weeks waiver wires or fab or maybe he was their last pick in their draft, he is really truly paid off and another guy going down this leaderboard. He appears on a lot of the leaderboards we're gonna talk about today. But Munataka Murakami, I think nobody was really expecting this level of production. Maybe they were, but a forty plus homer pace without being a huge negative in the batting average area. I think that a lot of people are surprised with Murakami's pace, and I think a lot of it comes down to just how hard he hits the ball ninety three point eight miles an hour, average exit velocity, nineteen percent barrel, fifteen percent heart hit rate. It covers up a lot of the other laws in terms of the contact rates and the swing and miss. Is Murakami a guy that you were in on coming into the season, and do you think that this is kind of the baseline expectation for him going forward? Still just twenty six years old. Is this a guy that you would put down for forty home runs every single season and a two thirty type of batting average? I guess is this the new Kyle Schwarber.
Speaker 2: I mean it might be because once you factor in the high walk rate that he brings as well, I mean nearly twenty percent walker rate too.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's a guy entering the year I was.
Speaker 2: I was so all over the place on him, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one, because it's a very kind of all over the place profile. And I think everything that we kind of thoughts about Murakami all the pros, all the cons they've all been on a full display, like to the max. So I'm both on positive and the negative end of the spectrum. But in terms of power, I mean, he's a guy that just everywhere you look. I mean, his rates are even better than Jordan Walker's. I think he's higher than Jordan Walker in uh. I think they're both basically the same here in average TV, but he's a little bit higher in terms of barrel and hard.
Speaker 3: Hit and just not doesn't chase.
Speaker 2: I think that that's the that's the key with Murakami that I kind of mentioned with others too, Like these kind of the big quality of contact guys that have questionable contact rates, if they don't chase a lot, I feel that's a better kind of recipe for them, at least maintaining an average that isn't completely like Joey Gallo Chris Davis levels of terrible right like two thirty average from Murakami. I mean, I feel like six seven years ago we would have been, you know, looking at that average, uh, not as favorably, and I don't think we're looking at favorably now, But two thirty isn't as bad as it used to be. It's kind of like how batting averages have kind of come down a little bit, and you know, ob you know, more walks and OBP kind of on that focus too. So if he can just keep it right where he is two thirty and doesn't drop down to you know, like two hundred or or even have them forbid lower than that, I think you can still be okay with that average. You can definitely build your teams around that. I mean, especially if you have confidence in your drafting abilities, you can absolutely work around a two thirty average, especially when that two thirty average is giving you, yeah, thirty five forty home runs. I mean, he's on pace for I think, like, damn your fifty home runs this season, and I mean I think I think it's legit. I mean, you look at the elite quality of contact, The bat speed is there, the angles are there. So yeah, and especially if you play in an OBP format, he absolutely he's a he's a top probably thirty to forty.
Speaker 3: Guy you know later this year and next year as well.
Speaker 2: But even in an average league, if he keeps that two thirty, I think you're gonna see Murk Commedy kind of settle in as yeah, maybe even the next shore Ber. I that'sh lofty praise, no doubt about that. But the profile, you know, you can see it. There's some similarities for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with Murk Commy, the thing is he just knows what pitches he wants to swing at. He only has a forty one percent swing rate, which is very, very low, but he doesn't chase. He seems when he swings damn near every time he's hitting the ball out of the yard. And it's just really unfortunate that he did have to miss time earlier and got hurt. I wonder what a full season's worth of stats would have looked like. There probably would have been a little bit of a regression period for him, but still, if we were looking at one hundred and forty games, this might have been a forty five fifty home run guy. And I wonder where people will draft him next year as a first basement. First base is gonna be pretty deep, but Murakami is a pretty interesting name, for sure. I wanted to at least ask about Dominic Canzone as well, because he's a guy that doesn't seem to get a ton of love in the fantasy world. If you look at roster percentages. If you deeper NFBC type of leagues, he's rostered. But the average ten twelve team players don't seem that interested in Canzone. And you look at last year eighty two games of a one to forty one WRC plus he hit three hundred. Well, this year so one thirty seven WRC plus he's hitting two fifty seven. He's got a good on bass where he's got the fifteen homers. He hits the ball incredibly hard, fourteen percent barrel, ninety two and half average Egson velocity, and the bat speed has gone up from seventy three point one to seventy four point eight this year. I'm a huge Canzone fan. Is this a guy that deserves his flowers from a fantasy point of view more than he gets eric? Because one forty WRC plus and back to back seasons very rare for any player to accomplish that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, And I think just in general he deserves more flowers, right, But I think I think the little bit of the skepticism and probably the reason why. Look, you've got like a Yahoo roster rate where I'm not sure where it's at now, but it's probably not like super high, maybe like what fifty years percent if I had the guests.
Speaker 3: Right now, but he's because they aren't.
Speaker 2: For whatever reason, Seattle's is not playing him much against lefties, and in his very limited time this year against lefties, he hasn't been in bad. It's two fifty four to forty seven for sixty four slash line, two bombs, nine walks, nine k's, and thirty eight point appearances.
Speaker 3: I mean that's extremely small sample size.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, but you know he hasn't been like terrible against lefties, but you know he has thirty eight play appearances against them and then two hundred and thirty eight against righties. So I feel like that's probably a little bit of the hold up for some fantasy managers. But yeah, I've been a kN Zone fan for a bit now. He was kind of like that borderline top one hundred prospect back in the day that this at some point like all right, this is probably not gonna work out, and maybe think he'd be out of the league by now. But one of those late twenties bloomers. We saw it a little bit last year and in the second half when he hit three hundred but eleven bombs in the second half of the season and then that kind of got a little bit of the intrigue going again for him this year, and he's just built on it, you know, the five h two slog, fifteen bombs, I mean full season pace. He's on pace for probably like thirty five home runs. Obviously he won't get there, but yeah, I mean he's been really, really, you know, exciting in terms of the quality of contact bat speed. You know, contact rates aren't great, but they're not terrible. They're they're higher than than the umbercamis for instance, but yeah, there's not any like glaring red flag in the profile. There's some below average patric Shore, and this is guy that's always hit the ball hardly. Last year as well, he was hot, kind of high up there, and all the quality of contact leaderboards as well. So I'm just hoping Seattle can maybe give him, you know, throw him a few more you know, starts against lefties and moving forward, we'll see. But yeah, definitely a very intriguing name here with can Zone.
Speaker 1: And another thing about him too is that most people struggle a little bit at T Mobile Safego Field. I always mix up the name. I think it's T Mobile now, not Safego anymore.
Speaker 3: I still call it.
Speaker 2: I still call a lot of the parks like what they were like twenty years ago. It's like if I can't remember, like, oh yeah it's Safego or this and that, I'm like, they just changed so much nowadays.
Speaker 3: This is a card to keep track.
Speaker 1: Whatever they were when I was a kid. That's pretty much what they're going to remain to be. Yep, But Tan Zone, you know, considering it's a really pitcher friendly ballpark, I think a lot of people will be surprised to see that he has a nine thirty eight ops at home, the one seventy three WRC plus and on the road it's not bad, a seven twenty seven ops ninety seven WRC plus, But just to excel in a pitcher friendly park the way he has. He's a guy i'd really love to see get five hundred and fifty played appearances and just see what he can do. This is not gonna be the year where that happens. Hope that we will over the next couple of seasons. We are going to keep it going. In a second and talk about the heart hit percentage leader board. First, I want to remind you guys about my Playbook. You'll instantly identify the best pickups available in your league, win every trade with our trade analyzer, and see the most optimal lineup every day based on our projections and your specific scoring settings. Sink your leagues at fantasypros dot com slash MLB my Playbook, or download the Fantasy Pros at for personalized expert advice. You can also get a little peak behind the curtain. Unlock every premium Fantasy Pros tool for three full days at fantasypros dot com slash free. Now there are going to be quite a bit of overlap on these leaderboards, but let's move into the heart hit percentage department. At the top again, James Wood fifty nine point seven, just having an incredible year. But number two is O'Neil Cruz at fifty nine point two, and I think, considering his injury in the misstime, haven't really discussed him a lot on the channel outside of the early portion of the year. But sixty four games he has fourteen homers twenty one steals. Hitting two sixty four is maybe the craziest thing after he hit two hundred last year. I wonder what the future evaluation looks like for O'Neil Cruz, Eric because the underlying data has always been good. This year, it's a sixteen percent barrel, fifty nine percent hard hit. Rady obviously hits the crap out of the ball. Bats beeat is great. Under the surface though, this is essentially the same guy that we've seen over the last couple of years, and these things seem to click this season. But I wonder what you make of him for the rest of this year and what his draft price will look like next year. This is a guy who's been a first second round pick and fantasy before and last year he was orderlining outside of the top of one hundred. So what does your evaluation tell you of O'Neal Cruz at this point?
Speaker 2: Man, he might be like one of the you know, three or foremost polarizing hitters in baseball. And you mentioned just what I was about to bring up in that, you know, when you look under the hood, I mean, yeah, like the slash line is a lot better this year.
Speaker 3: You know, ever, just up sixty four points. OBP is up fifty two points, slug is up ninety four points.
Speaker 2: So that's great and anybody that got him for that, you know, like that top one hundred or just a said price type that weird you just were talking about. You probably feel pretty good even with the miss time. It's it's still a pretty good investment that you made. But at the same time, the metrics under the hood are basically more or less the same as last year. I mean, he's still I mean last year he was he was hitting the crap out of the ball. Last year he's been above a fifty percent hard hit rate each of the last three years. The strikeout rate is actually higher than last year by two and a half percent. Thirty two percent last year, thirty four and a half percent this year. Contact rates are kind of the same as well. You're talking like mid seventies, you know, seventy five, seventy six percent contact rate in zone.
Speaker 3: You know, overall, he's.
Speaker 2: Like the low to mid sixties, and it's actually the with rates gone up to thirty seven point eight percent. So at the same time, like I feel like he's just you know, had you know this have a profile. Obviously he's kind of prone the you know, pretty notables and valleys. I just feel like those the peaks have this s been times better this year, and he either looks like Aaron Judge or like Joey a late career Joey Gallo, and I feel there's like no in between with this guy. He's either you know, the best player in Fantasy for three weeks, then he's almost a guy you want to bench for three weeks. So whatever the price tige is and assuming that he can, you know, finish the season strong, I feel like it's gonna be another pretty high price tage. Maybe not first second round, but I guess say like that third fourth round territory where the ADP is like, you know, maybe in the forties or something like that, And am I gonna want to go after that?
Speaker 3: Probably not.
Speaker 2: He's super exciting and when he's on it's really fun to watch, but I just can't go with a guy that's like that inconsistent that early as like one of my three or four core pieces and you know, probably one of my two or three core hitting pieces for my team. So yeah, I feel like that, you know, it's just the ebbs and flows of O'Neil Cruz and whatever the price as to be next year, I'm probably not gonna be buying into that.
Speaker 1: He's in a class of player and it's like Dylan Cruz is probably are at Dylan Cruise. Dylan Cease is probably the best pitching comp I can give.
Speaker 3: Oh. I like that.
Speaker 1: He'll have the good years, he'll have the bad years, and Dylan Cease next year probably gonna be a second or third round pick and I won't want anything to do with him because of the inconsistencies. And it's the same thing with O'Neil Cruz. I didn't buy him this year. I was out, but this would have been the year to buy O'Neal Cruz. I was really skeptical of the skills set. I mean, even this year, the strikeout rates at thirty five percent. There are holes in his game, but ADP was around one hundred. Next year, if I had to guess today, is ADP is going to be around thirty or so thirty five And I think that would probably be a tap out range for me. As much as he is an enticing player, and I think the skill set, if he puts it all together one year, this could be a guy who wins an MVP. But the inconsistencies are are great, and I don't expect the two to sixty four batting average that happened terribly often projections don't really either, so it'll be more of a fade heading into next year, but it'll be really interesting to see where the price ends up. Now we've talked about a lot of guys who are having good seasons so far. Let's talk about a guy who is, but not quite to the same extent of these other guys, and part of it is just due to volume, and that's Bryce Eldrick. Sixty games, ten homers, one stolen base, two sixty five batting average. It's a little bit more modest, but again he does appear on our leaderboard here for heart hit percentage a fifty four point eight percent heart hit rate. He has a thirteen percent barrel rate, ninety two and a half mile an hour average egsit velocity and bat speed. Something that I've really paid a lot more attention to this year was seventy one point five miles an hour last year, only thirty games in the BIGS. It's up more than two full miles an hour to seventy three point eight. Bryce Eldridge has been a really good hitter this year, despite the early struggles when he first got called up. What's your long term EVL tell you here. Is this a superstar in the making? Is the park too much to overcome? Here in San Francisco? What do you think of Bryce Eldris Eric.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I would go superstar, but I think star for sure. I think he can be a guy that's, you know, a top ten first baseman for fantasy, maybe even a guy that kind of gets in that top five range at times because that power is legit. And yeah, the ballpark isn't great, but you know, this is probably the best left handed power bat San frans developed. And I can't even say how long a long a long time. So is his type of power kind of I think transcends all fields, you know, especially when you combine the quality of contact, which is elite. I mean, fifty five percent hard hit rate for a rookie, super super impressed. I mean it's impressive regardless, but especially so for a rookie average TV barrel, right, it's all there. X slug is one of the best in the league as well, and then you know you pair that with some pretty good battered the ball angles as well, And that's really always been the case for him. He's always been a guy that not only is one of the strongest guys on the field, but he knows how to maximize that power in games, get to that pollside pop and really just elevate consistently. And we've seen that this year, you know, twenty percent pole air rate, forty three percent poll rate, and a sixty two percent air rate. So and the contact rates are are decent too. I mean he's kind of far from an all or nothing masher. I mean he's actually above average contact in the zone and overall by by a little bit, doesn't chase too much. So yeah, I mean he's cooled off a bit lately, which is kind of you know, made the slash line kind of tick down a little bit.
Speaker 3: But you know, he's a rookie.
Speaker 2: That's to be expected, just learning you know, the major leagues, and you know, obviously pitchers adjusting to him.
Speaker 3: He needs to adjust back.
Speaker 2: But I think there's the building blocks are here to you know, have Eldridge kind of really solidify himself as one of the best power bats in the game and one of the best fantasy first.
Speaker 3: Basement in the game.
Speaker 2: I think if he can get it going again and having a nice end of the season and maybe looking at let's say like low twenties home runs.
Speaker 3: They say, he pops another you know, ten to twelve.
Speaker 2: Over the final two months of the season, he's hitting like, you know, two seventy, you know, with plenty of bombs. I think you can see him maybe be like a back end top one hundred guy next year. Maybe not a guy that you want as you're starting first baseman, but a guy that you'd be like really excited about getting as like your corner infielder or even as your back end starter if you wanted to wait at that position and kind of attack other spots. So yeah, I think the long term outlook is pretty bright here. And he's still only twenty one years old. That's really really impressive. But yeah, I think there's a lot of legitimacy into in what he's doing right now.
Speaker 1: You really got me thinking about the last great lefty that they developed, and it's I mean, Pablo Sandoval was a switch hitter, I guess, so that doesn't really count. Maybe Brandon Belt like Brandon Crawford.
Speaker 2: Like, it's not been great, right exactly, And they haven't really developed a lot of great hitters in general. They've helped some some good pitchers, but yeah, it's been it's been a bit since they've had like a rookie with this much upside, with this much excitement, with this much power. So yeah, I think it's gonna be really fun to see what he turns into over the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: The other names that really stuck out to me at the bottom of this leaderboard Jake Bowers, who's had an incredible season, and Brandon Nimo, who as of late has been just on fire and is going to end up with a very Brandon Nemo type of slash line to end the season. I think at this point ten homers and four steels, but he's really picked it up as of late. One fifteen WRC plus. What are your thoughts on these two? Bowers as well, who's just been kind of a league winner. Honestly, I hate to use that term, but Bowers was three essentially and he's given you eighteen homers, six deals in the two fifty six batting average, and again just the gains in the average exit velocity, the heart hit rate, the barrel rate. What are your thoughts on those two guys in particular, more fringy fantasy assets I think than people would assume they're more fringy fantasy assets, I should say, But guys have been really good this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. In Nimo's case.
Speaker 2: He's been you know, sneaky good for a while now. He's actually a guy that I get a lot of shares of every year, like him and like Ian Happ or just two elfielders. I at least one of those two guys on i'd say over half of my teams, because they're not flashy by any means. They're they're kind of, you know, for lack of a better term, they're kind of boring, but they just give you some pretty solid, like the outfield three level production every single year for the most part. So yeah, Nimo, look at he's kind of a guy that's harder to hit the ball, a lot harder the last handful of years. Early in his career he was you know, like upper thirties, low forties and like terms of hard hit rate, But the last four years have been his best four years, you know, above forty seven percent every year in hard hit rate and this year it's fifty two percent. You know, all while still you know, being a good contact guy, keeping in the k rate and check. You know, you kind of see that shift when you look at like his walker rate, it's kind of gone down the last couple of years. So he's been definitely been more aggressive and hunting out those pitches to hit. But you see the home run total, it's been higher than it was in the past. So yeah, I mean, the overall numbers aren't really great this year with him all you mentioned ten home runs, four steals, But I think he's really starting to kind of find his stride and I think you're gonna see a pretty solid end of the season and I have him in a few weeks, so hopefully that is the case. And luckily I also got Jake Bauers in a couple of deeper leagues as well, And it's just because I thought the playing time could be there, and then last year he gave you you know, it's like, oh, this guy can give you a little bit of power, a little bit of speed and maybe find his way into you know, four starts a week or something like that. So I got him like a lot of like a lot of dcs and deeper formats like that just has some depth, and it's been probably one of my better draft picks I made, you know, this year because you look across the board. I mean, you know, the contact orate a little low care, it's a little hot. Nothing that's like you know, super red flag or anything like that. But he's just hitting the crap out of the ball. The bat speed is there, he's one of the top guys. There's a bat speed. He doesn't chase. Again, that kind of what I mentioned earlier. He doesn't chase, so he's able to maintain that good average, and you know, when he does make contact, he does a lot of damage on it and draws a lot of walks too. So yeah, I think I think Bowers is a pretty fun kind of one of those late career breakouts. Again, I mean kind of bounced around, didn't really do much, you know, the last handful of years. Even two years ago he was hitting one ninety nine. But yeah, I like Bowers a lot. I think this is you know, pretty legit. Just seeing some of the gains he's had this year. I think they're all legitimate and tangible changes here that he's had. And yeah, I think both these guys are are pretty solid and both definitely undervalued, no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: So NIMMO thirty three. Bowers about to be thirty one. You think these are real tangible changes? Are they real enough that you'll be investing again next year? You think whether it's redraft or potentially in Dynasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm I'm always going to invest in Nemo as I mentioned him in Half, or guys that I'm going to target until they start falling off a cliff and there was a production even if they're old and they're like almost like the the Tony Gonzales of fantasy baseball. You used to draft twenty Ganzalez and fantasy football even when he was older, it was like, oh, he's too old, but he'll give you. Yeah, man, another eleven hundred yards and eight touchdowns. This kind of like, wow, I equate these guys or the Nemos and Half. So yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep you know, target happened. Yeah, Bowers is gonna be a guy that you know, he wasn't. I don't have no idea what his ADP was this year, I forget, but it wasn't high obviously, So probably a guy that might go, oh lord, I mean if this continues, maybe like the one seventy five range. Kind of hard to say with him, but whatever, it is assuming it's not like you know, top one twenty five, top one fifty, which I don't think it would be. Definitely, if I can get him as like my outfield, you know, three four kind of in the end similar range to Nemo next year, I definitely will because I say he's you know, the hard hit rate has been just ticking up here. The walk rate's good, keeps the k rate relatively in check. So yeah, definitely a lot of you know, changes from him this year that you can be that you can feel good about investing in next year.
Speaker 1: We got one more hitting category I want to look at, and it's one that I mentioned earlier. It's been a really important one for me, and it's average bat speed, especially guys who have made gains from one year to the next. If you look at the bat speed leader board, Junior came in at the top, Jordan Walker, O'Neil Cruz, Nick Kurtz, all of those names are to be expected, I think, and then number five Cam Smith. I mean talked about him on the show last week with Paul Sporr as a guy that I think I'm gonna be really interested in next year. He has the raw tools, he swings very hard eleven percent barrel forty four percent hard hit rate. The average exit velocity is not quite there yet at eighty nine, but it's still a jump over the eighty seven to nine last year. But Eric, he's gained three ticks on his bat speed, And this feels like Jordan Walker, a year ago guy who had maybe not been fully written off, but a guy that wasn't really that exciting in the fantasy community anymore, certainly from a redraft point of view. Ham Smith was a ninety WRC plus last year. He's been in eighty this season, but still got some fantasy jews twelve homers, ten steals. He's a guy that I'm gonna be really interested in. What do you think is there any chance that he becomes the Jordan Walker of twenty twenty seven, assuming we have baseball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we have baseball, and I don't know what we would do without that, but that'd be a scary world. But yeah, I mean, I don't know if i'd say the next Jordan Walker, but I think there's definitely like that similar intrigue there, like you kind of mentioned, and I think what needs to be remembered about Cam Smith that I feel like it's lost in the shuffle here when you talk about him. This is a guy that was drafted two years ago. He was drafted in twenty twenty four. He had thirty two games in the minor leagues, all of which with the Cubs. Then he got traded over to Houston that offseason and they brought him right up to the majors, so there was not a lot of developmental time. And yes, this was a guy that played, you know, at Florida State in the ACC you know, good competition, and was in an advanced collegiate bat but still, thirty two games is barely even enough to say you were in the minor leagues. So and he's SOT only twenty three. I mean he'll be twenty four next spring training in late February, so still very young. I think all those things need to be remembered. And then when you look at you know, the bat speed is the one that stands right out, and I think I think he's he's a good fielder two, which helps keep him in the lineup for Houston. So that's something you can kind of be confident about. And everything in terms of like the strength and athleticism are really exciting. He's like a good runner ninety three percentile sprint speed as well. He's a guy you could even push twenty twenty this year. But you know, the slash line not so great. It kind of similar to what it was last year. But yeah, this definitely a guy to maybe take a flyer on. I don't think the price tag next year will be that bad. I mean assuming maybe you know, this year kind of keeps going the way it has some up some downs for him. Maybe he finishes with like nineteen bombs, sixteen seventeen steals, hitting two ten, two twenty.
Speaker 3: I feel like he'll be a guy that you'd be taking.
Speaker 2: In like that two point fifty ish range is like your outfield five, but that's actually an area. It's assuming that is the area that I like this. That's kind of the guy I like to target as like my last outfielder. Like, all right, this guy has some upside. You know, maybe there's a war here or there comes of you know, something to do with the profile or maybe injuries or whatever it may be. But if they click bam, maybe they can give you like outfield three level production. I think that's exactly what you're looking at here with Cam Smith. So yeah, definitely a guy that is very, very intriguing. This year might not it might not click this year for him, but you know, I mean, Houston's a pretty good organization in terms of their player development, so that that gives you all a little more confidence that they can help him figure this out. So yeah, definitely a name to still keep on your radar and maybe even target later on your drafts next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the more I look at him, the more I keep talking myself into him, and I think he will be a guy that is a heavy target. Is his woba's two eighty six, which is not special, expected WOLBA three point thirty four, which is ahead of the likes of Ivon Herrera, Kyle Tucker, who I know is not having a great year, Manny Machado. He ranked sixty seventh among all qualified hitters and expected WOLBA, so definitely not perfect, but I think he's a guy that I will have some interest in, depending on that price. Garrett Mitchell is another guy who is also really kind of shocking to see at the top of this leader board. If you look at the production of the other guys around him, it's a couple of disappointing names here, Vladdie, who I won't get into again for my own mental health. I just can't do it again. But Garrett Mitchell is having quietly a really good year, and especially as of late, he has turned things around despite a thirty two percent strikeout rate, eight homers, seven steals, a two to seventy seven batting average, forty five runs, forty eight rbi. But that barrel rate. I mean, we've seen flashes of a double digit barrel rate from him before, but he's gone from seven percent to fourteen this year, average eggsit velocity from ninety to ninety two to six, hard hit rate from forty two to fifty, and then that pesky bat speed seventy six point one to seventy seven point four. He's made gains in each of the last three seasons, and I wonder how much the strikeout rate is going to hold him back considering just how hard he hits the ball. Is this a guy that you think could have a legit type of fantasy breakout eric or does the swing and miss kind of hold him back from that?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Garrett Mitchell has always been intriguing to me. I mean, I think there's definitely that breakout potential there where.
Speaker 3: If he can even.
Speaker 2: Make this modest improvements to you know, the contact rate the strikeout rate, and get those two I get the key rate closure to thirty percent, get the contact rate closure to like even like seventy percent, he could just really really take off because that's always been the one area of his game that really lacked. He's always been a guy that has good, you know, good power, good speed, you know, a pretty good, you know, really good defender as well. It's like every other part of this game was always pretty exciting, but it's that one pesky little the hit tool has always been kind of holding him back. And another area too that kind of has been holding him back has been this the angles that he hits the ball at. I mean, he's pounding the ball, and yeah, the barrel rates really good and over double last year, but he's got a fifty three percent ground ball rate and only a ten zero point eight percent pull air rate. So there's definitely, you know, a lot of good here, but sometimes even this one or two bad parts of the profile can overshadow you know, six or seven good parts, right, and especially when that one bad is just making contact does matter how hard to hit the ball. If you can't make contact, you know you're not gonna do overly well. But obviously this year, you know, he's hitting two seventy seven, So it's just a weird profile, Like I would bet every dollar I have he a't gonna hit you know, two seventy seven for the rest of the year or next year, not without some drastic improvements in those areas I just mentioned. But yeah, he's one that's always been intriguing to me, And I don't know it's I don't I'm not a big fan of investing heavily in this profile. And I think if this continues and he ends the year maybe you know, close to fifteen home runs and steals with a decent slash line that price I could kind of boost up a little bit, maybe even in the top two hundred for next year.
Speaker 3: It's kind of hard to say with him. I can't get a.
Speaker 2: Good rid of where he would possibly end up next year in terms of ADP.
Speaker 3: But he's really intriguing.
Speaker 2: But I would just love to see any any improvement in terms of this making contact. I think he could really take off, make some more contact, elevate a bit more. This could be like a top one hundred player like that. Upside is absolutely there, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, we'll have to see how he finishes out the year. I think I can see him being overvalued as a middle of the order bat in Milwaukee, a very good, perennially undervalued lineup. So maybe he doesn't go as high as I think. But I'm a little bit worried. I agree with the with the profile. You know, the zone contact that's seventy seven percent is not good. The swinging strike rate at fifteen percent is not my favorite either. He can overcome it if he raises the ball. I agree there as well, but that's not trended in the right direction this year with a fifty three percent ground ball right. So we'll have to see what happens with Garrett Mitchell. But he's been I guys that shouldn't be on waiver wires today. He should be rostered for sure right now. But how things will look going forward, we'll have to see. We'll be We're gonna keep it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right.
Speaker 2: Can we just like combine like him and like Luis a Riaz or Wilson like you can bind like the two profiles in the one that would be like maybe the.
Speaker 3: Best hitter in baseball or one of them. So yeah, I wish, I wish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll we'll see what happens with Gary Mitchell, because he's still just twenty seven years old. It'll be twenty eight soon, but still several good years ahead of him, I'm sure, and hopefully some good stuff ahead of us on this show. We're going to talk pitchers in a second, but first I want to remind you guys about our presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. Some sports fans call this the slow period, but I disagree. There's no basketball, there's no hockey, there's no World Cup, there's no NFL. It's baseball time. We focus in here on baseball all the time, but specifically right now, everybody should be. There's a full slate nearly every day for you to bet on your favorite teams and players, build epic same game parlays, and even live bet every inning from first pitch to the final out. Free to step into the batter's box, sign up with hard Rock Bet today in place a five dollars bet. If it wins, you get one hundred and fifty and bonus bets on top of your winnings. That's right, an extra one hundred and fifty into your account. They are also new promos every single day, no sweat bets, profit boost, bonus and more. Open the hard Rock Bet app now and see what you've got today. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan, with more states on the way. So download hard Rock Bet and swing for the fences today. Payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminol Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC and all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida called one A three to three play wise in Indiana. If you are someone who knows a gambling problem and wants help, Call one eight hundred and nine with it in Arizona, Ohio and Virginia Call one eight hundred mis reset gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler. Eric. We are going to talk some pitchers, and we'll start it off here with opposing barrel percentage allowed. We were going to talk barrel percentage with the hitters, but I think you know, it's the same general leader boards, and I think going through the three we have probably covers it. It's a lot of the same names. Let's switch over to pitchers and look at the barrel percentage allowed and probably to the surprise of nobody, Jacob Mizerowski, like he is on top of nearly every leaderboard this year, is on top of this one. He's only allowed seven barrels the entirety of the season.
Speaker 3: It's insane.
Speaker 1: Number shoe Heeyo Tani at number two. I know he's been shut down right now, but he was, you know, in the running for the cy Young there as well before he was shut down. Just phenomenal work. And then we get to Land and Roope and Trevor McDonald, a pair of Giants pitchers. And we'll start with Land and Roupe who's coming off of a third consecutive really good start. The first one was before the break against the Blue Jays, and the two coming out of the break Seattle and Kansas, have both been really good. He's sitting on a three ninety three ERA, a three thirty one FIP, A one to twenty four whip. It's been a little bit of an up and down year for him, but it really comes down to the blow ups. The blow ups have been horrible, and every other start pretty much has been good. When he's not allowing five walks and eight are and runs, he's good. Who would have thought, But that's pretty much been the case with land and Roope this year, and I think I think Eric a lot of it comes down to the quality of contact against, which is the point of this leaderboard. Here, four percent barrel rate and a thirty percent hard hit rate while also getting fifty percent ground balls, it just feels like a good recipe for success. What do you think about Landing Roup. I've talked with two Giants fans in recent weeks, Justin Mason and Casey Bubba. Bubba is a fan. Mason is not so split the time for us here.
Speaker 3: I think I'm gonna lean more towards being a fan.
Speaker 2: And he's the guy I actually has throwed him up today in the connect my daily recap right up that I do over on my Patreon, because he's definitely really intriguing. And you see a pretty common theme here on like the barrel rate allow leader boards, where it's either a they're just super freaking nasty like miss Hierowski.
Speaker 3: You know, it's hard to barrel of the pictures going like what one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and twelve miles an hour wherever he's thrown these days, but or they have a good sinker, you know, And that's definitely the case here with Root. But he's definitely more than just like a sinker pitched the contact guy. He's got a pretty good whiff rate on his two most used secondary in the curve and the change up. Both of those are over thirty percent. And yeah, that's definitely a recipe for success, especially for these guys where they're not blowing you away with velocity.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's not like throwing soft.
Speaker 2: He's you know, he's around like ninety three ninety four, so it's kind of like kind of middle of the road velocity these days. But he's not gonna rear back and this, you know, rear back and throw ninety eight by or anything like that. He's gotta you know, kind of more so pitch in certain areas of the zone, get those ground balls, you know, get the weak contact and kind of succeed that way.
Speaker 3: But he can still miss some bats too.
Speaker 2: He's got a you know, it's I think it's around average wiff rate, but it gets a good amount of chase, So thirty percent chase rate.
Speaker 3: That's good to see.
Speaker 2: So he's the guy that had I think his yeah, his XCIRA is three point three six right now.
Speaker 3: So even though the era has kind of been hovering in the.
Speaker 2: Upper threes, as it has each of the last two years, for him, there's some intrigue here in some I guess optimism that he could be a little bit more than this. I don't think he's gonna be like, you know, low web two point zero or anything like that, but you know, could route be a guy that's like, you know, back end top fifty, top sixty ish arm in that range, maybe your SP four or five range next year, I think. So, I think there's definitely a lot of reasons to be you know, optimistic about that being the case, and he's got you know, the.
Speaker 3: K rates ticked up a little bit this year.
Speaker 2: It keeps the walk rate under ten percent, which is kind of about league average these days with walk rates going up. So yeah, a lot a lot to like here. He ranks pretty high on the on the average ev allowed leaderboard as well. So yeah, I guess I'm not like in, you know, super thrilled by him, but I guess I would definitely lean more towards, you know, kind of buying into what we've been seeing from him this year.
Speaker 1: I have to as of late, he's been a guy that I've invested in. Now. You can't time the blow ups with him. They've they've been three or four of than this year, and you might get stuck with one of those in your lineup. It can happen to any pitcher, but it seems to happen a little more a little bit more regularity with landing route. So it's something to keep an eye on. But I do think that the skills are really really good here, and I think that we could see I've not a full blown breakout next year, but if he continues to put the ball on the ground with you know, the terrible contact he's allowing against thirty percent hard hit, four percent barrel rate, eighty six mile an hour average exit velocity. I think it's a it's a good recipe for success for Landon Rupe and his teammate Trevor McDonald isn't nearly as interesting. But he did have a period earlier in the season where he was looking really good. There was a five or six start stretch where he was a hot pick up and then it blew up by all teams. The Toronto Blue Jays. You can't hit water if they fell out of a boat right now. They got eight runs on him a couple of weeks ago, But other than that, it's been a really good run for him since maybe mid May. I know you wouldn't. You wouldn't see that looking at just the era and the whip. But any interest at all in Trevor McDonald, whether it's down the stretch this year as a dynasty piece, potentially still just twenty five years old.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 3: Not not a lot.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe is like one of the back end guys you know on my team for a redraft league, and or even like a dynasty league team.
Speaker 3: He's probably going to be that's the thing with him.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for a guy that just another good arm or another like depth piece to have, he's.
Speaker 3: A guy in a dynasty league.
Speaker 2: It won't cost much to get him, and even in redraft with the price will not be high unless he has like a phenomenal end of the season. But just in general, I'm not super intrigued by McDonald. He does phenomenal work and getting ground balls and limiting you know, limiting hard contact allowed, limiting barrels obviously being on these leader boards, you know, and a lot that has to do with the sinker he uses, which he throws nearly sixty percent of the time. And he actually has a couple of good wif freight offerings in the slider and change up, but just because he doesn't really go to them, you know, super frequently. I mean they're combined about forty percent. But that sinker being such a prevalent part of his arsenal and kind of what he's all about. I mean, the k rates is not going to be there. I mean it's an eighteen and a half percent k rate. It was higher last year three percent. I guess that if he gets back to that range, all right, I could see myself being a little bit more intrigued, but being this being a blow average K rate guy, it's just there's such a low level of you know, margin for error here where you need the ratios to be really good. That's why I was kind of like not into Rubleski earlier in the year when he wasn't striking guys out, but now all of a sudden, Hey, he's striking guys out lately. Not to get on a tangent by him, but just the fact that kind of like McDonald's and that's in that range where I'm like, all right, he's not give me ks. So if the era and whip aren't like Ellie's solid, he's not really given you much value. So I guess as a back end depth guy maybe, but outside of that, not super intrigued by him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's totally fair. I just wanted to see if there might be something there because I earlier in the year I was kind of a fan. But I don't blame anybody for not wanting a guy on their team with an eighteen p K rate in a five year. I cannot hold that against you. Speaking of five bra, let's talk about Freddy Peralta, because if it's all heading into the season that he was gonna shave a few points off his barrel, right, the hard hit rate was still in the thirties, average exit velocity was still eighty seven eighty eight. Just knowing those couple of stats, I would have said, Yeah, Freddy Perrult is probably doing what Freddy Pewlt always does. He's been miserable, awful, unstartable, five OHO one era A one forty six whip. The strikeouts have come down to twenty two percent, The swinging strike rates are going down every single year. The stuff, which at one point was well above average, is now ninety six. What the hell happened to Freddy Prawlt to this year?
Speaker 2: Eric, Dude, that's a phenomenal question. Like, he's a guy that's just been especially I think the strikeout department so consistent for so long. I mean before this year, I mean this year. I mean he's right around a league average k rate right now twenty two and a half percent. But before this year, he had been above twenty seven percent every year of his career, and he debuted back in twenty eighteen, So we're talking about what was eight straight years above a twenty seven percent k rate. A few those years were about thirty percent. Last year was twenty eight point two, and you figured, like, man, this guy was gonna just be one of those guys that continues to pump out like SP two level production for the next few years at least. I mean, he's thirty, which is for a pitcher, is not old whatsoever. Just look at, you know, all the guys that have aged like fine wine, like the Wheelers and Chris Sales of the world. So I was, you know, I was a Parlta guy, and he's got that. I had a lot of shares of him previous years, and thankfully it worked out. Even though I was targeting him this year, I didn't get I think I might have had one share of Pralta if that just because he just didn't work out in my draft that he kind of felt to where I was willing to take him. But yeah, it's weird because he's It's not like anything is drastically changed with how he's approaching, you know, attacking hitters, because like you'll get his pitch mix last year and this year nearly identical, Like the top three pitches are, you know, foreseeing change up curveball that I have nearly identical usage rates this year to last year.
Speaker 3: It's just the with rates, which are still decent.
Speaker 2: And I mean it's not they're bad with rates, but they're all kind of lower than what he had last year. So and with that being such a big part of his game, Yeah, I think there's any kind of downteck that shows like how thin the line is sometimes in this sport where you know, even hitters or pitchers just like whether it be like, uh, you know, command gets a little bit worse, or you're not missing quite as many bats, or on the hitting side of that, your launch angle goes down a little bit. The smallest change can sometimes be like huge for your overall production. And we're seeing that in spades this year with Freddy. I mean, look at last year, his five most use offerings look got like the run value on Savant.
Speaker 3: You know, we're all positive it.
Speaker 2: Was plus nine plus nine plus four plus three plus one. This year negative one, negative five, negative three, negative one and zero. So every pitch for him has just gotten either a little bit worse or a lot worse. And I mean I still have confidence that he can bounce back. I don't think we're done seeing impactful Freddie Freeman. So if the price tag drops next year in drafts, which I'm assuming it will, I'll be definitely into if I can get Freddy is like my SPA three four next year, which I think actually might be the case. I'm absolutely gonna be intrigued because in this world where it's so what have you done for me lately, some of these guys kind of fall off the radar too much, and I'll be definitely be looking to scoop up Freddy next year.
Speaker 3: If that's the case.
Speaker 1: I think so too. I mean, XCRA is not my favorite of the era estimators, but three eighty six is still a solid number, even with the struggles. A thirteen percent strike up to walk rate is not terrible for a bottom out type of season like it has been. Still relatively young, like you said, so you know, like I mentioned earlier with Dylan Csnonial Cruz, you know type of players you buy in the cheap years. I don't think Peralta is necessarily in the same vein as Dylan ceased because he's been pretty consistent in his career, but it'll be the same type of thing where if he is around pick one hundred and twenty. Next year one hundred and forty going to be on all of my teams, most likely barring news that there's been an injury or something like that that we haven't heard about. But barring anything unforeseen, I do think Freddy Perlta will bounce back. But it's just odd to see that despite the fact that he is twelfth in the league in barrels allowed barrel percentage, it has not really paid off for him. A couple more leaderboards real quick, We're gonna do heart hit rate, and the first name that stuck out to me was Spencer Arraghetty landon Roupe at number one. His sosardo number two we'll talk about in a little bit. But Spencer Araghedtty only allowing a thirty percent heard hit rate after forty five percent last year, I would have said, Okay, this might be the trick. Average exit velocity is down, barrel rate is down, and yet he's still sitting here with a four to thirty four ERA in a one to thirty one whip. Those are better metrics than we saw last year, but it feels like Errighedy always has these really sky high expectations, and we saw a couple of good starts from him earlier in this year. What do you make of the heart hit rate improvements and what we've seen from him this season? Is there another level for Aarraghetty or is he one of these guys that we're kind of wish casting on that isn't actually that great.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's more the ladder.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's always been that intrigue with Irragatty because he's like kind of shown flashes of, you know, pretty solid upside at times, but he just feel like one of those guys is just never gonna fully put together.
Speaker 3: And I hate to say that.
Speaker 2: He's still only twenty six, so there's definitely some time for him, and obviously.
Speaker 3: Houston great place for him to be.
Speaker 2: They've definitely done a lot of good with pitching and gotten the most out of guys and gotten more out of them than I think anybody even expected. But with him, like the walk rate just remains super high. And even though the k rate went up this year, a lot of the whift rates on his offerings are actually down, which is kind of weird to see, but you know, the whift rate overall is down, but he's got the k rate up a little bit. But I think there's just so many things working against him where he'll improve in one area a year over year, but then go he'll revert back in another area. So it's almost like, you know, the improvements kind of get canceled out, and you know, with the other metrics that are going the opposite way. And you know, maybeybe if he was a guy that could, you know, be around the zone a little bit more, I'd be a little bit more intrigued. But you know, at this point, the only Baty's really, the only pitch he's really missing a lot of bats with this year is the curveball. You know, the sinkers getting hit around a bit, and there's not a lot of good whip rates elsewhere, So I don't know. I mean, it's great to see him limiting hard contact. That's great, but also to that hasn't really been a lot of other things to get excited about. The chase rates not great again, the walk rate's pretty high. I don't know, x Cira is even higher than his four thirty four surface the ra. So this guy that's always been like that one three to one four whip rate range, So I don't know. He kind of feels like a poor man's mackenzie Gore. And I'm not really a mackenzie Gore a guy either, So I'm not really super intrigued here.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe with some tweaks I could see.
Speaker 2: Something be unlocked, but until then I'll let them be on somebody else's team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when rich mackenzie Gore is not worth being on your team is most of the time I'm poor man's McKenzie as well. I have to agree. There. One more guy I want to talk about in this area in particular is Nick Martinez, who's having one of these shocking type of years. Edwardao Rodriguez is also kind of doing it in the National League, but the insane like era level surface stats that are not supported at all below the surface a two fifty nine ERA and a one to twelve whip with a nine percent strikeout to walk rate. He's only striking out thirteen percent of batters. And yet we look here at the leader board of hard hit rates and he's only allowed one hundred and twenty hard hits the entirety of the season thirty two percent. It is the seventh best or sixth best mark among all qualified starters. I feel like that's probably a big reason why he's having success. But he usually has a pretty low heart hit rate, and while he's usually pretty good, it's not usually this good. Eric, do you think that this is just pure dumb luck or is there something tangible that Nick Martinez is doing this year that you think could lead to more sustained success.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of luck that's gone in Nick Martinez a season. It's funny too, like every year, I'm sure, I'm sure you do this too, Joe and Plinty of other people like us, where it's like you'll see a guy it'll be like mid season you'll be like, holy crap, like this guy is doing that, and like Nick Martinez was one of like I had that realization. I think it was like mid to late June, like you know, maybe a little bout a month ago or so, where I'm like, man, he's like one of like the lowest era guys in the American League. He's nine and two right now, and it's like, man, this guy is having a really phenomenal season. I mean Tampa Bay, I mean they seem to always work there kind of voodoo magic. But I don't see this make maintaining. He's definitely a guy like you know, sell if you're in leagues to have trades. Obviously the NFBC doesn't, but Yahoo leagues or ESPN leagues or like a Dynasty league on fan tracks or whatever. This is like a prime sell high candidate because you know, like all the all the era indicators are like two runs highers xc ra's four sixty two, and it's just yeah, it's just everything does not signal that this is legit. I mean, it's it's gone on a lot longer than I thought, and I thought this era would kind of go up from where it was earlier in the season. But the thing with think Martinez, he doesn't miss any bats, but he also doesn't only walk anybody either. Two of the last three years he's had to walk right under five percent. This year it's four point four percent. So yeah, he's a fine guy for the Rays to have and a guy that can eat innings. But for fantasy, I mean, as soon as that Eira starts going up, even if it's just up a run to the mid threes, it's having that really and not even below average. It's like a really poor, you know, thirteen point seven percent straight up rate. He becomes almost a guy that's not even worth using. So yeah, I can't see this continue.
Speaker 1: It's a full fade for me next year, whatever the price ends up being. I mean, the market's pretty sharp these days. So maybe he's not going to be a top hunterd pick or anything. I don't expect that. But wherever he goes, I think it'll probably be too high. This just it feels like dumb luck. It really does. The eighty five percent strand rate fairly low. Babbi. It's not supported in reality. I mean it has been so far, so who am I to say it's not supporting reality? But I don't think this is something we can expect to maintain throughout the rest of the season. One more leaderboard I want to go through with you, and it's expected, wOBA, And I think a lot of people will say, what the hell's expected, wOBA? Why we have a new stat here? It's becoming more prevalent, and I think it's something that we really should pay attention to. It essentially measures a hitter's skill or a pictuer skill and the skills he allows against based on exit velocity. Launch angle, strikeout to walk rate, sprint speed. It goes beyond the box score, and it's become a stat that I look at quite a bit. You look at the top of the leaderboard. It makes a lot of sense too. I like looking at a leaderboard and it's like, Yeah, these guys should be at the top of the best pitcher's leaderboard. Essentially, it's miss Rowski, Zach Wheeler, Shoheo, Tani, Paul Skins, and then Azus Walzardo, which is where we'll stop here because Azu Wzzardo has turned things around over the last month or so and he's been really, really good. We haven't seen one of those patented Hadesu Sozardo blow ups since early June, but it always feels like it's coming. There is three four five starts this year where he's allowed at least five earned runs, and what it feels like, even going back to last year, is that Lozardo will give you five clean ones and then they'll give up seven earned runs and just destroy all the good will he's earned. But this talent level, I think it doesn't indicate that he should have these type of blow ups. He's got really good strike out to walk greats, really good expected stats, great stuff. And yet we're looking at a guy who's had a sub one whip in his career exactly one time. So is as Wizardo a little bit overrated? Is he just unlucky with these blow ups? I truly don't really know what to make of him anymore, Eric, But right now he's been great. I just I just don't know how long that could last without seven earn runs hitting, hitting my fantasy teams.
Speaker 2: Man, I feel like he's like the only guy in baseball that's both underrated and overrated, if that makes any sense, Because Lozardo, I mean, I can never figure this guy out. You look at you go to Savant. Outside of you know, being one of the worst in the league in terms of extension, there's a lot of red on there in terms of you know, missing bats, she's getting chase strikeouts, quality of contact allowed, ground balls. Like this is a guy where you if you just looked at the Savant sliders, you'd be like, all right, this guy is a cy young candidate. He's one of the best pitchers in baseball, and at times he has looked that way. And then you mentioned he just has like this either one start or a couple of start stretchs that just wipes out all the good. And I'm sure you probably just chinks to him saying that he hasn't a U bloupe in a while, and he's like eight eight earned and two and a third is next time out. But he's a guy where I feel like, I mean, even I Likelizardo. I've always had de dating back to his prospect days with the Athletics handful of years back. I've always been super intrigued by Lizardo, but I kind of stayed away earlier in his career because just the durability kind of scared me off. But now since he's kind of been you know, kind of putting that hid them, he's been pretty healthy for the last.
Speaker 3: Couple of years.
Speaker 2: It's just he's super inconsistent, like you mentioned, And I feel like there's always at least one, usually multiple people in every league. I'm in that just like Wizardo. More so, I couldn't even tell you the last time I had a share of Hazel Cizarro. I'd be intrigued if he fell into a ranger. You know, I'm more comfortable in taking him, but you know, you look at the profile, it's really really sexy for lack of a better term, and you know, this year, it's just red across the board. Hopefully, you know, finally, and he's still twenty eight. I was like, he should be like in his early thirties at this point. But so hopefully this is like, you know, maybe a little bit of a late twenties like finally putting it all together type of thing that we've seen, you know, other guys have in the past. I'm hoping because if you can just get a consistent Lozardo for a full year without all the blow ups, I think you could look at you know, this guy has fantasy ace potential, so you know, maybe this is him finally realizing it, and you know, if he finished the season strong and you know, kind of maintains that low three era bunch of strikeouts, maybe gets that whipped a little bit lower, like to the you know, one fifteen to one twenty range. Probably a guy that maybe he isn't drafted as an ACE next year, but I bet you he'd be an SB two territory for sure, and probably high end SB two territories.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry, I feel a little bit better about Lozardo, but I want to see him finish the year strong and then maybe i'll invest next year.
Speaker 1: It's kind of where I'm at too. We'll see if he ends up with the four point two ERA and twenty five whip, then we'll see maybe that'll keep the price down. But he's he's a very, very polarizing player. I think he is probably the most underrated and overrated player simultaneously in the BIGS. Peyton Totley is the next thing I want to talk about here. I have been so impressed and I'm also so shocked that he didn't make the team at a camp and start the year in the rotation. But three thirty one ERA over eighty nine innings, a one to ten whip, twenty six percent strikeout right, and if you go to the offerings, this four seemer has a sixteen percent swing and miss Hutter has a seventeen percent curveball twenty two percent.
Speaker 3: It's a deep arsenal.
Speaker 1: If you look at stuff ratings, all of his pitches great out at least average. It's one fourteen stuff plus one ten pitching plus. I think Peyton Toley is maybe the next superstar. Lefty is that overstating it a little bit here. If you look at the XOBO leaderboard, he is top ten in baseball so far and he's actually eighth, sitting between Dylan Cees and Cam Schlitler right now. Pretty good company to have. So is he should we be talking about him potentially in those like Cy Young conversations for this year if he finishes right.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he'll get enough volume to finish those conversations, but it is pretty fun that he's right in the between two guys that are kind of leading the way in terms of the the American League SI Young picture at this point in time with season with Splitler, so yeah, with with Peyton Totley, obviously with me being a Red Sox fan, he's a guy who's you know, career through the minors. I followed more closely and I got to see him a little bit up here in Double A. You know, was that last year year before, and he's a guy that was just really really exciting from the get go, guy that I was really pumped to see the Red Sox get in the draft, and he's just continued to even exceed all the lofty expectations that were put upon him when he was drafted and then when he became one of the best, you know, prospects in the game on the pitching side. So I think there's a lot to like here. I mean, he's very fastball heavy, you know, four seams, sinker cutter, that's about eighty eight, eighty nine percent whatever it is of his arsenal that he'll mix in a curve and a changeup. But you know, the thing is that he mentioned this past offseason that he wanted to be a more well rounded guy with his arsenal, and he's definitely been more well rounded this year. At times, he'll get kind of get back into that four seam heavy approach, but hey, it's a really good four seamer, as you mentioned, so it's not a bad pitch to go too often. But that curve ball getting mixed in is really exciting because that that's a forty six percent.
Speaker 3: Whip rate on the curveball.
Speaker 2: A guy that can miss bats, he can you know, he can limit the hard contact. He you know, keeps the walk rate and check only a seven percent walk rate too, and all the era indicators and everything like that kind of backs up what he's showing on the surface and just like you know, for me again watching basically everyone of his starts, being a fan of the team.
Speaker 3: He pitches for. He's legit, like he passes the eye test to.
Speaker 2: Where he has that that bulldog demeanor that you just love to see. Like he's out there, he knows he's good, and he knows how to attack and then what he wants to do in any given start. So yeah, I think this's the the just the beginning of a really really good career for Peyton Totley. And yeah, if he finishes the season kind of similarly with how he's been the last few months after he got caught up in late April, you know, I mean, maybe he's getting up near one hundred and thirty hundred and forty innings, a low three era, you know, one ten whip, above average k rate, and a good walk rate. It's probably a guy that pushes top one hundred ADP next year, maybe even cracks that seventy five to ninety range where he's like in round.
Speaker 3: Six or seven something like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that the price cycle will be high, but I'll be investing if I can get him next year as.
Speaker 3: My SP two.
Speaker 2: If I especially if I go the sp one that is, you know, pretty safe, pretty chalky, where I'm like, all right, I can maybe go the younger upside guy. Hey, if that worked a lot this year, if you were getting like Chase Burns is your SP two or even Missier Rowski, Nolan McLean, all these guys you know, for the most part, were worked out.
Speaker 3: So I'm not a post of that strategy in general.
Speaker 2: And I think Peyton Toley will be in that range a couple one hundred ish ADP next year and I'll be buying in.
Speaker 1: I can totally see it, and I agree that I've fallen in love with the guy. And for me to fall in love with the Red Sox player, it takes quite a bit for any player here, but just seeing him get interviewed and he's got such a great personality. Oh yeah, love, I love the mustache. It's something that should be more prevalent. And what it reminds me of is Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation. Ohm's character that is so spot on.
Speaker 2: But yeah, just like Peyton Toley, he's a guy that's already become one of my favorite players in baseball, and I think he's already become a huge fan favorite here in Boston and just in New England in general, everyone seems to love him.
Speaker 3: The stash is great.
Speaker 2: He's a guy that I mean, I'm not comparing him to this guy, but his demeanor is almost kind of reminds me of Pedro back in the day, where it's like, in between starts, you know Pedro and totally they're They're very laid back, they're a goofball. There's a good, high spirit guy that's laughing, joking. But when it's their data pitch, they lock in. They're there to do their job and strike out and get batters out. So I love that mentality where you give me loose, you have the four or five days between starts, but on on game day when it's his turn in the rotation, he locks in. And obviously the talent is pretty damn could as well. So yeah, everything about Peyton Toley I love. He's just one of my favorite players already.
Speaker 1: He's terrific and it pains me to love an ALIAS player who's not a blue Jay, but that's what he's done, and he's done in the span of half a year. He's a pretty endearing guy. Eric, I've kept you way longer than I anticipated, But I just got one more group of players. I'll let you pick it whoever you like. But looking at this top fifteen leader board, you know the seasons, the schal Hitler's, the Schoobles, the Burns. Is you m modo? No surprise is there? The names that might be a little bit surprised. And the people are Casey Mice, Parker Messic and Reed Deptmers. My is having a really good season, Messik having a really good season as well. Deptmers Eh kind of what we've come to grow accustomed to with Reed Deptmer some good and some bad. Are these three guys that you think by twenty twenty seven will be breakout type of starting pitchers just based on the fact that they are amongst the ninetieth percentile XUOBBA leaders.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The name here that kind of six up the most to me that I feel like it's still flying under the radar even though he's a rookie with a sub three er, And that's Parker Messek with Cleveland. I mean, he's a guy where I mean I think the big reason why he's undervalued he doesn't throw hard. He's in that ninety three ninety four mile an hour range. But he's got a deep arsenal and he limits you know, he does a lot of things, well, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's almost like, what's that.
Speaker 2: That term like the jack of all trades but a master of nunners whatever that is.
Speaker 3: I might have butchered that a little bit.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't like a lot of things well without just truly standing out in anyone area. But you know he limits hard contact. Well, he's inn above average k rate, you know, a good walk rate as well, all the eerra indicators are pretty low in like the low threes as well. He can miss bats, he can get the chase rate, you know, chase rates you know, above above thirty percent. You know, limits contact in the zone fairly well too. So yeah, I think he's a guy that just gets undervalued. I mean everyone kind of looks at Gavin Williams, who's a lot more appealing and fun to watch, but Messic's really solid. So yeah, he's definitely a god. That's you know, I'll be investiga. I feel like the price tag will always be you know, fairly reasonable. You know, obviously it'll be a lot higher next year than this year, but you know, I don't think it's going to be to the point where it's crazy. I think it will still be pretty reasonable. And yeah, I think this being on this leaderboard is another example, kind of with all the other things I just said of is how solid Parker Mesic is another success story from this Cleveland org. I mean, add him to the long, long list of success stories on the pitching side for this Cleveland team. And yeah, I'm definitely going to be an investing in him moving forward.
Speaker 1: Something that's become a bigger part of my process is the depth of the arsenal, and over the last couple of years, stuff plus has kind of taken the world by storm. We've had it publicly since twenty twenty two ish, twenty twenty one, something like that, And I feel like over the last four years or so, it's become very prevalent in analysis, and it's something that I use. Don't get me wrong, but a guy like Parker Messik throws six pitches, not a single one of them grades out as average, And I think a lot of people would say, all right, he doesn't throw it terribly hard. The stuff's not that great. We throw them away. No no interest here long term, not that I'm saying that, but I feel like the average might say that. But then you look at the swinging strike rates on the individual pitches the usage behind them, and there's four pitches that have at least a twelve percent swinging strike rate. The sinker and the curveball are not as high, but he locates them well. And when you have six pitches that you can go to with regularity, it doesn't matter to me as much if you're huge stuff. God, you know, not everybody can be Strider with the one thirty seven fastball and the one thirty two slider and then that's it and you're good. Foster Griffin, Davis Martin. There's a lot of guys this year who've had success with the depth of the arsenal, even if they're not the typical stuff.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 1: So something else to keep in mind. But Eric, like I said, I kept you way longer than anticipated. Apologies on that front, but it's just because I love talking with you so much. I love getting in these conversations. Thank you so much for taking the time today. Please let everybody know where they can keep up with your work. You're really doing great stuff in the Dynasty space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks man, always a pledge. I always enjoy talking with you, Sally. This this hour, just this flu bay. We could have gone another hour, I feel. But yeah, I always appreciate talking with you and just chatting, chatting baseball, you know. Follow me on Twitter at Eric Cross MLB. I do a couple of articles a week over on rollabar, and then obviously all my stuff on my Patreon. All my rankings are on there. I do close to daily write ups, a piece called I call cross examination, where I'll just look at you know. Usually it's twelve thirteen players between the majors and minors that you did well the previous day or not so well sometimes and I guess I just wrote up like Landing Group was one of the guys I wrote up.
Speaker 3: Today after I start yesterday.
Speaker 2: So it's a fun little piece I look at where I can just dive into some players each day. But yeah, I appreciate you having me on and hopefully we can have a nice end of the season here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, my friend. Hopefully we all win our leagues over the next couple of months. Looking forward to seeing you out in the desert. I assume you'll be at f PAZ again. Oh yeah, I don't know how many years you've been going. This will be my fifth year though, so I'll really looking forward to it. Make sure you guys are checking that out. If you guys have never been out there before. It's a great weekend of baseball and beer and panels and beer and a lot of fun stuff. So make sure you guys are checking that one out. But we will bet on Monday for leading off leave It's myself in the Welsh, but I'll have to double check. It's a bit of a rotating cast of characters here throughout the rest of July, but that will do it for us for today. Make sure you guys are subscribed to the podcast, like comment to all that great stuff for Eric Cross, I am Joel Rico. We'll talk to you next time right here on the Fantasy Pros Baseball Podcast. Take it easy, everybody.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball Podcast. If you love the show, the best freeway to support us is by leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, Follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com. Slash Fantasy pros MLB